2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.24/5

Carnival Cruise Lines Reviews

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Went for a bachelor trip with all my buddies. MISERABLE experience! Spent the first day and a half running around being sent from desk to desk with customer service. I bought a 268.00 Cheer’s drinking package that resulted to them putting a 800.00 dollar hold on my debit cards with out my consent. My poor wife was back at home with minimal funds because of the large amount of money that was placed on hold. Everyone we spoke to mentioned how they can’t help us that it is what it is.

My wife called the cruise line and was on the phone for several hours with nice representatives who felt for our situation. But when transferred to ANGELA in “customer service” (ext. **) she was soo rude and non sympathetic and brought my wife to tears and gave her incorrect information on how to handle the problem. Later on by a different representative we were advised to call back on Monday which was my return date to handle the situation. Here comes Monday we speak to everyone again and even the supervisor and they deliver the robotic line of “I’m sorry for your experience but there is nothing I can do for you.” LITERALLY everything about this experience was trash and once I receive my money back I or the many people we know will NEVER cruise with the carnival again! Thank you carnival for a horrible weekend and a horrible resolution process. The **

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

We complained several times regarding the water in our cabin while on our cruise. It was turning the towels orange! Our room steward was exceptional and notified the floor supervisor for help right away. A plumber was called and the filter was changed but this did not fix the problem. The staining continued even after a filter change. The shower and the sink were both affected, turning our clean towels a nasty orange and brown. We complained again and again. Two nights before the end of our cruise, a Guest Services rep came to our room to see the problem for himself. We turned on the water and placed an used towel in the sink. After seeing the water stain towels with his own eyes, he offered us the opportunity to move to another room on the 5th level but when we went to see that room and check the water, the water in that room was also tinged. It didn't make sense to pack up in one room and move to another with the same issue.

We were extremely uncomfortable with the thought of having to shower in our room with this unresolved issue. No one knows what was in the water and if this could pose a health risk of any kind. This was very unsettling. We were given a couple of six packs of bottled water to use so we could wash our faces and brush our teeth for our final two days. The water and an apology was all we received. Showering is essential; particularly in 85 degree Caribbean weather.

In addition to this issue, we were awakened every morning by the noises of ship preparations to dock. Loud cranking and knocking noises woke us up every day a couple of hours before docking at ports. We docked everyday after the first day of our cruise. This was very annoying. We couldn't "sleep in" because the noises were so loud. They sounded like large chains being pulled and maybe some construction. We had a window, also, but it was very dirty. One day at port, an attempt was made to wash the window but the window washer only rubbed half of the window and never finished the job! We never complained about the window but the fact that an attempt was made to clean it let's us know that someone else thought it needed cleaning, too. The window remained dirty. R147 on the 4th level was our room number.

How did Carnival make this right for us? I filed a formal complaint, sent pictures and after waiting weeks to finally speak to a supervisor, well...we have earned the opportunity to take advantage of a whopping $75.00 off a future cruise and a $75.00 on-board credit! REALLY, CARNIVAL!? HOW DISRESPECTFUL!!!! We would have to spend MORE money with Carnival in order to use the pathetic credit which is pennies on the dollar to what we spent on a cruise we couldn't shower on!

We will NEVER cruise with Carnival again! I experienced intestinal problems for three days after disembarking. We asked for a report of what was in that water. "Sediments" is what we were told. Sediments of what and why is that supposed to be a sufficient response!? We're concerned for our health! Our celebratory cruise is now a marred memory, thanks to Carnival. I gave this review ONE STAR and that is for our room steward and the dining hall staff. The rest of this company does not care about their guests - only their money.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

We have traveled with Carnival many times and always had good service and a variety of food stations and staff that were very friendly but on this particular cruise, both breakfast and lunch lines were very long and not much of a variety of food. We had to wait over an hour in the Mongolian wok line. There were only two choices of tea. (No herbal tea). There was a strong smell like sewer in the hallway to our room. We complained and they simply covered it up with sanitizer in our room. That did not correct it. We again concluded that this was a problem with the sewer system on the ship. We were at the back of the ship. We had several other problems which I would like to discuss but unfortunately the site shuts out out each time we try to give more details.

Customer service lines were always very long, as the kiosk machines were not working properly. I think more staff in that department would have been helpful. The sanitizing wipes in both containers in the gym were empty couple times. Again maybe more staff or a check every morning would help. We were however very satisfied with the dining room staff in the evening. The children’s activity staff were absolutely delightful and well trained to deal with the young ones. We had a 3 year old with us. Carnival did send us a survey but once we started writing anything negative the site locked up and shut us out. Strange!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I had purchase the photo package 99$ (FYI don’t do it). Every night my mother and 2 other sisters would go and take photos then we would pick out the photos we would consider for later on to print and give to staff to put on a envelope. The day before arrival we order our 16x20 (free came with package) came back that evening and they could not locate my photo. I didn’t panic and was told come back tomorrow by 7:30 (arrival back from cruise). I came up to the kiosk and everybody looked clueless. I was frustrated and try to explain to the lady I just needed to pick up my 16x20. She told me the guy who print those is gone.

I immediately became even more irritated and asked to speak with a manager. They told me "Well wait we can put 5 photos on a disk at no cost". I refused a few times and continue asking for a manager and since we weren’t getting anywhere I told them fine I will be dealing with this later. Obviously their goal was to get me out of their faces.

I came up and told my family what had happen and we were a bit disappointed because we looked forward to our family photo since we’ve never had one done together (we all live in diff states). I am a photographer so I reassure them as soon as I get home I would open up disk and send the photos to the lab to have it professionally printed. We all felt better and kept it moving.

Two days after the trip I finally had time to seat down in the comfort of my home and get on my MAC, lord and behold my computer starts telling me disk is empty... meaning there is no images. I right away contacted Carnival and spoke with 1 young lady. She then transfer me to her manager. She promise to escalate the situation and have my photos email. I gave her my email address and here we are a week later I still have no photos. I am hoping they come through. If not I’ll have no option to file a dispute with my bank for the 99$. My best advices do not by picture package and Disk. You will run the chances of getting zero photos.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

We recently went on a weekend cruise Friday, November 29, 2019 to Nassau Bahamas. Our second time cruising with Carnival. We were on the Liberty. From getting on the ship there was no running water. Toilets no water... No water or juice available on the buffet line. The ship just looks so worn down and not taken care of anymore. The dinners were not tasty at all! We ate twice in the dining room and once we just had the buffet because we were so dissatisfied with the dining room food.

The chairs on the deck had bird poop on them and just dirty. I watched one of the employees pick up left behind cups and not even wipe up the bird poop. The entertainment was again ok. I have definitely heard better singers. We walked away with our weekend vacation saying it was ok. Probably not going to cruise again for a while.

I am writing a negative review on the food and the condition of the ship but I must say our waiters in the dining room and the crew that kept our room clean were great! Very polite! Great service! Carnival spend some of your money on cleaning up your ship and on the quality of your food! It's supposed to be about the experience... We should walk away telling our friends how great it was and they should go....not telling them "eh it was ok."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My husband and I have saved for 5 years to go on a cruise and take our daughter. We did a lot of research and decided we would book with Carnival. The gentleman that helped us was very nice. He was on the phone with us for a good 2+ hours. I am very skeptical when it comes to traveling and booking agencies because I always feel like people are taking advantage of easily. So I asked every question I possibly could think of to make sure there was nothing hidden in what we were paying.

We talked about doing the CHEERS! package which you have to purchase separately so that you can have unlimited alcohol on the cruise as well as the Bubbly package so that our daughter could have soda drinks on the cruise. I understood that this was a separate package but was told we could go ahead and add it as we were booking to the total so that it was taken care of. A week or so later I had been Looking at our booking and going over which excursions we wanted to do when I noticed a few things on our booking papers did not match. Our names were spelled wrong. V showed that we were being picked up from an airport that R we weren’t even going to.

So I called and asked what was going on and was told by the next agent that I was speaking to her that the previous agent had set R transfers from the wrong airport and if we would not have called we would have landed and not had any way to get to our cruise. We were also told that V had some special to wear. If we saw the price drop on our cruise or a cruise like it we could call and have the price updated. So as I’m talking to the lady I also asked her to look into seeing if we had anything that we could price match or upgrade for the same price. She stated that we did and she would add the upgrade. She also stated that she fixed our transfers from the correct airport but it that it was going to cost us more. This upset me because I had been quoted a price and told that my booking was done correct. I did not feel that I should pay the difference in this but nonetheless they added it to our bill.

They gave us a $12.50 credit that we could use only on the cruise for all of these issues that we have been dealing with. Now here we are 100 days away from the cruise my husband logged on to make another payment to the cruise and it ended up taking the entire balance out of our account leaving our account negative and paying the cruise off. When I called to ask why this happened I decided it was time to go over the entire booking and make sure everything that I was promised was true. After going over the all of the booking information with the agent I asked her about the alcohol and soda packages that we were told were added to our booking. She told me that it was impossible for this to happen that the booking agents Cannot add this type of package during booking and that there’s no way that this possibly happened.

I asked her to review the phone call and told her we were told very specifically that we would have those packages included in our booking. She then told me she would listen to the call and get back with me. Three minutes later she comes back and tells me that there’s nothing they can do now. This was a two hour phone call so I don’t know how she could have reviewed it. I got upset and asked for a manager. That manager explained to me that she could not listen to the call because their calls delete after 30 days if they were captured in the first place so the previous agent lied to me. That seems to be a pattern with cruise Agents.

I was very upset and told her I felt like I’ve been taken advantage of. Now we are going to have to plan for another thousand dollars to cover those fees. We were not told that the gratuity was not added so found this out as a surprise as well and when I asked if there was anything they could do about it they simply told me no. They just wanted to tell me how it was my fault I did not read all the terms and conditions. I did not read all the fine print. It said that it was on me so now I am stuck going on a cruise. I have to come up with another thousand dollars to cover the drinks and gratuity that I was not planning and will no longer have money to do anything fun or go on any excursions.

This is my first cruise and will be my only with this cruise line. I am very upset. I feel taken advantage of and now I feel like I’m going to be taking my family on and a funless trip. Today the manager called me back and told me after review the only thing that they can do is give us a $25 credit that we can use on the cruise only. But the kicker is they owe me the $25 credit because it goes towards the difference of the price of my cruise going now which is a part of my deal so really they are giving me what I deserve and not doing anything for the fact that their agents completely lied and suckered me into paying for a cruise that I now cannot.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

My husband and I took pictures on their cruise ship. We purchased some on canvas and was told to come back and get them the next day. Mind you the day we check out but we forgot them. We sent an email through their website trying to find out how to retrieve them. No response. I finally get them on the phone to be told they purged them and no refund. Sad to say they lost customers. We travel of 20 plus. They lost us all..so sad.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My husband and I have cruised with Carnival for years now. While I love cruising in general, I have to admit that I find Carnival Cruise Line has gone downhill in service over the years. Food used to be phenomenal. Now it is only so-so at best. Have to admit that is rather frustrating. Or, to get really good food now, they expect you to pay extra. Hello??? Whatever happened to the 'all-inclusive' cruising is supposed to stand for? I do have some particular bones I have to pick with the company and I'll be writing them directly about that. This isn't the place for that. I guess I'm just too old to accept mediocre anymore, and that's what Carnival now feels like to me - mediocre. Nevertheless, it is cruising, so yes, you WILL have fun. Just don't go into it expecting all the wonderful things you heard about cruising in the past. It's definitely not that world anymore. Sad, but true.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

Carnival Cruise Lines is a scam that advertises a certain price with hidden fees, taxes and gratuities automatically added. I never authorized charges to my account and when I called to complain, was told I should have done it onboard the ship but they won't help now. They were extremely rude and unhelpful on the phone telling me I won't get a different answer. That's fine, I'll never board your ship again. I'll make sure to tell everyone I know how awful I was treated and how terrible the customer service is. Remember when people have a bad experience, they're likely to tell 10 people. I hope your cruise line goes under due to lack of guest valuation.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

We really enjoyed our Cruise. Nasua was wonderful. The Dolphin interaction on the Blue Lagoon was well worth the money. The staff was great, and I cant say enough good things about Ikomang our room attendant on the Riviera Deck. We had a group of 5, enjoyed by all.

Carnival Cruise Lines Company Information