2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.31/5

Carnival Cruise Lines Reviews

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

This was my very first cruise I booked with some friends, I booked later then them so I got my own stateroom. We were very excited for this cruise and to start getting to the ship and boarding was very quick and painless. Once aboard and while the other guest boarded we set out to check out the ship. The interior of the ship was awesome. I felt like royalty! So when we finally set sail and as we got up to speed the ship started to bob around like a jet ski and as we got further out to sea it got worse. I myself didn't have the seasickness. 3 of my friends (2 of my friends were stuck in their beds the whole next day) a lot of the other passengers were also getting seasick. Many people including myself were having trouble walking straight (without alcohol) and the second night wasn't much better.

The noises and vibrations coming from the ship were crazy. I woke up sometime in early morning to very loud noise almost sounded like we hit something! Day 3 first port of call Amber Cove, Dominican Republic everybody couldn't wait to get off. Right about the time we were scheduled to port the captain come over intercom and told us that during the night we had "technical issues" with the ship that they were unable to fix and that we couldn't dock. They gave us a refund to our sail and sign acct. of $50 plus port fee so basically $70 plus excursion fees if any were prebooked and that tomorrow we would still go to Grand Turks!

Well the next morning we arrived and we got very close to island but again the captain said that due to high winds after 4 attempts we unfortunately weren't able to dock there. Either they again gave you another $50 plus excursion fee and told us they were able to get a spot for us to stop on the way back to Port Canaveral in Nassau, Bahamas which we were finally able to dock. But after getting everyone situated for our new excursions plus a 30hr boat ride to and from the excursion we ended up with about 4 hrs off ship since we had to be back at ship before 5pm to sail out, and our taxi boat dropped us off in downtown Nassau, a longer walk back to ship. Not very well planned.

Our last night on the ship was much better though. All in all the staff was very accommodating and friendly even having to deal with very upset passengers and having to work even harder since they had no breaks either. Disembarkment day was a absolute ** show as we were to be out of our staterooms by 9am. Everyone gathered near the atrium and it took forever to get ship tied up and they started calling deck numbers but as people were antsy to get off the ship this made getting off the ship very lengthy.

I even had to call my rental car company to extend my reservation and even with that we almost missed it, getting through customs and boarder patrol (and don't get me wrong, I completely understand their jobs and my hats off to all the men and women who protect this country of our) but it sucked as we came off ship we were directed by Carnival personnel to corral like cattle heading to slaughter house and even thought they tried to keep families and groups together my party was separated twice which added more time waiting for the others to catch up! All together the trip sucked, people were edgy.

I fortunately was able to enjoy the rest of my vacation in Florida but my first stop to the Kennedy space center was limited because of the B.S. getting off the ship but oh well I guess. Thanks carnival for wasting my money and time. I am glad to say that this will note to me from future cruises just NEVER ON A CARNIVAL CRUISE EVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

We were a group of ten people and not one of us will ever sail Carnival Cruise again. They are thieves and liars. The Elation didn't make the two destinations it was suppose to on between January 11 and January 17 2020 due to engine problems again. Not the first time this ship breaks down. Last time this happened people were reimbursed 100 dollars per stop. We got 50$ per stop. When we called the head office they said, "Sorry that's all you are getting". What thieves. Please help make people aware of carnival's lack of professionalism and care for people's safety. Money first safety last. The ship is old, dirty, rusty and smelly.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

My two best friends and I planned a Birthday trip for this cruise back in August. All of our birthdays are in January and the destinations (Dominican Republic & Turks and Caicos) seemed so perfect. Everything was going smoothly up until the very first night. We experienced extreme rockiness aboard the ship. The ship was making very unusual sounds that had many of us scared. This was my 3rd cruise and I had never heard anything like it. The director of the cruise failed to update us on these weird sounds. Throughout our first night, at about 12am we heard scraping sounds and the ship began to shake. We were absolutely terrified but thankfully, the noise and shaking eventually stopped.

By Monday morning, the captain notified us through the speakers that we would not be able to make it to Dominican Republic due to the engine having problems. The speed of the boat slowed down tremendously and there was no way we're going to make it to our destination in time. We were outraged. We had excursions planned for Atv riding and Ziplining. This was going to be the highlight of our trip, and missing out on it due to their own error was uncalled for. However, they let it be known that we would be refunded for all excursions. Carnival also mentioned that we will receive $50 in return which is absolutely ridiculous!!

Tuesday morning comes. We reach Grand Turks as promised. The captain gets on the speaker to notify us that the wind is too strong and we will not be able to go to Grand Turks. You can only imagine everyone’s reaction to hearing about a cancellation twice in a row. We were heartbroken. We were livid and didn’t want to believe this was actually happening to us. We took time off work. We scheduled flights. We planned everything extensively. All of our money went to waste and all Carnival wanted to offer us for a second cancellation, was another $50!! They expressed time and time again that it was due to the strong winds that we couldn’t dock, but we all know for sure it didn’t have anything to do with the wind. It was without a doubt, their poorly made engine.

We were stuck on the boat for 4 days and we felt as though we were being treated unfairly. Everyone on the ship absolutely deserves a Free Cruise. The captain made a decision to dock at the nearest location for the next day, which was the Bahama. Thankfully we actually made it there and off the boat...because by this time, no one wanted to believe a word they were saying after being let down 2 times in a row. We were being lied to. They stated that we couldn’t get a refund because it was due to the weather which is out of their control. I spoke with Jen, the director of the ship. She stated that it’s in the fine print of not being able to receive a Refund. I told her I understand that part, but what about the engine?? I asked her is that in fine print too? Because the engine has absolutely nothing to do with us. That is on their part. The engine was suffering due to human error. When I asked her that question, she did not have an answer for it.

The very same day the captain told us we couldn’t dock to Grand Turks due to strong wings, that night, being on the ship felt like a nightmare. I was dozing off in bed when it began to shake tremendously. All the champagne glasses in our room and everything on the counters rattled viciously. I was having a nervous breakdown. I was palpitating because I was fearing for the worst. I just knew we weren’t going to make it home. I was in such distress, it took me forever to fall back to sleep. Once again, this has been the worst cruise experience for me and I would not wish this on anyone. There was many people on the ship cruising for the very first time. My best friend was one of them and I hate that they had to go through this for their first experience. It was very traumatizing.

The last thing I want to mention was how the Director of the ship, Jen, appeared to not have any concerns for the people who simply wanted more out of this horrible situation. Carnival set up a Q & A where all passengers got to meet in the theater and ask any questions they had about what had just occurred with the canceling of our destinations. Jen’s attitude was very unpleasant. She was being sarcastic and nonchalant when it came time for her to answer any questions. I was in shock because this didn’t seem like the same upbeat, lovable person who was dancing, hosting, and entertaining passengers just hours before. Everyone who was onboard Carnival Elation January 11-16 most certainly, deserves a free cruise after what we endured!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

We paid for a 5 day cruise to Mexico from 1/7/20 - 1/11/20 with 2 stops and ended up at sea for 4 days and had one day in Mexico because we had to turn the boat around. We were not compensated even though we didn’t get what we paid for (2 full days in Mexico). We asked guest services what time our excursion starts in Progreso and they told us the wrong time so we completely missed our excursion at the only destination we were able to go to. They ruined both destinations for us both without compensation.

The beds are advertised as king sized but are two twins pushed together without proper sheets and bedding on them, they constantly slip apart and it’s impossible to sleep. The food was terrible and even at the restaurant with a dress code was cold/frozen and tasted disgusting. The water tasted terrible and anything that wasn’t “tap” water cost an arm and a leg. The entertainment was terrible, the dude playing the piano constantly played wrong notes and didn’t know the melodies of songs he said he knew how to play.

When I called support after the cruise they said there was absolutely nothing they could do about compensation and all they could do was file a complaint in the system that no one will ever look at anyways. The people who cleaned rooms would barge in even if a do not disturb sign was on the door. Never go on Carnival...ever.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I was on a seven day cruise on the Carnival Pride from December 29 - January 5, 2019 leaving the Port in Baltimore, I purchased $100 in liquor; however, due to Carnival staff failure to properly wrap these items in plastic bags, I was forced to throw my liquor away at the BWI Airport due to TSA policy. Per TSA staff If these would have been wrapped properly (i.e in plastic bags) I could have cleared TSA. Please pack your liquor in your suitcase if you plan to purchase liquor on the Carnival Cruise Line.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

My family and I just returned from our cruise on-board the Carnival Fascination. The ship itself is run down, dirty, rusty and outdated. All coffee machines and water dispensing machines needed the filters to be changed resulting in both water and coffee having a horrible earthy/algae taste. No fridge or blow dryer in cabin. French fries served were black as oil not changed in fryer in God knows how long.

Mold growing all over cabin washroom frame (cabin E24). Towels in cabin were old and ripped. Buffet kept on serving the same limited choices of foods every day and the food itself was nothing special and definitely not cruise ship standard. Fun shop: prices purposely inflated. Purchased an Invicta watch supposedly worth 995 US as per price tag and as per salesperson and paid $180 with discount thinking I got a deal. At airport the same watch costed $200 with a second watch free (basically I could have had 2 watches for only 20$ more).

I am extremely angry and disappointed as nobody likes to be taken advantage of and carnival should be aware of the practices of its onboard retailers. it seems that Carnival cruises is in the business of ripping off their passengers. These practices should be illegal and the general public should be made aware. Let’s not even mention the whole Park West scam. If this was a hotel it would be a 2 star at best. We took many vacations with Carnival cruise lines and other cruise lines and this ship was the worst so far.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

• Inadequate emergency and evacuation procedures. No safety evacuation drill provided . I have written to Lloyd's Register and Port Canaveral Authority to complain.

• Inadequate security arrangements allowing me to access the bridge to protest to ships second in command. (I could have been a terrorist.)
        • Inadequate risk management for Norovirus.
        • Inadequate cleaning of cabins. Bathrooms not cleaned adequately.
        • Exposure to alcohol, smoking and gambling to minors. Only access to ship decks through casino for all guests.
        • Unauthorised deductions from credit card accounts in the form of excessive tips for services.
        • Gangs of teenagers intimidating passengers.
        • Tables uncleared in restaurants. Used crockery piled on table resulting in guests clearing tables themselves.
        • Poor standard of meals. This was a fast food cruise. Burgers, pizza, fries were far better than food served in restaurants. So we ate mainly salads. When asked if the food was washed with fresh water we received no answers.
        • Smoking in unauthorised areas. Ships stated controls not enforced.

• Smoking on balconies. Ships stated controls not enforced even after complaints. Smokers on balconies were informed who had complained, so verbal abuse was aimed at us .

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I brought my gift cards from Carnival, time for my trip and pay by my card but carnival couldn’t go through from the booking agents. “”Card is not valid,“”, so I call gift card department. They said my card is good to go, money is there but they don’t know how to book a trip, I must book from booking agent, then booking agent can’t solve gifts issue, Carnival are steal my money, please anyone help me! What Can I do?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Went for a bachelor trip with all my buddies. MISERABLE experience! Spent the first day and a half running around being sent from desk to desk with customer service. I bought a 268.00 Cheer’s drinking package that resulted to them putting a 800.00 dollar hold on my debit cards with out my consent. My poor wife was back at home with minimal funds because of the large amount of money that was placed on hold. Everyone we spoke to mentioned how they can’t help us that it is what it is.

My wife called the cruise line and was on the phone for several hours with nice representatives who felt for our situation. But when transferred to ANGELA in “customer service” (ext. **) she was soo rude and non sympathetic and brought my wife to tears and gave her incorrect information on how to handle the problem. Later on by a different representative we were advised to call back on Monday which was my return date to handle the situation. Here comes Monday we speak to everyone again and even the supervisor and they deliver the robotic line of “I’m sorry for your experience but there is nothing I can do for you.” LITERALLY everything about this experience was trash and once I receive my money back I or the many people we know will NEVER cruise with the carnival again! Thank you carnival for a horrible weekend and a horrible resolution process. The **

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

We complained several times regarding the water in our cabin while on our cruise. It was turning the towels orange! Our room steward was exceptional and notified the floor supervisor for help right away. A plumber was called and the filter was changed but this did not fix the problem. The staining continued even after a filter change. The shower and the sink were both affected, turning our clean towels a nasty orange and brown. We complained again and again. Two nights before the end of our cruise, a Guest Services rep came to our room to see the problem for himself. We turned on the water and placed an used towel in the sink. After seeing the water stain towels with his own eyes, he offered us the opportunity to move to another room on the 5th level but when we went to see that room and check the water, the water in that room was also tinged. It didn't make sense to pack up in one room and move to another with the same issue.

We were extremely uncomfortable with the thought of having to shower in our room with this unresolved issue. No one knows what was in the water and if this could pose a health risk of any kind. This was very unsettling. We were given a couple of six packs of bottled water to use so we could wash our faces and brush our teeth for our final two days. The water and an apology was all we received. Showering is essential; particularly in 85 degree Caribbean weather.

In addition to this issue, we were awakened every morning by the noises of ship preparations to dock. Loud cranking and knocking noises woke us up every day a couple of hours before docking at ports. We docked everyday after the first day of our cruise. This was very annoying. We couldn't "sleep in" because the noises were so loud. They sounded like large chains being pulled and maybe some construction. We had a window, also, but it was very dirty. One day at port, an attempt was made to wash the window but the window washer only rubbed half of the window and never finished the job! We never complained about the window but the fact that an attempt was made to clean it let's us know that someone else thought it needed cleaning, too. The window remained dirty. R147 on the 4th level was our room number.

How did Carnival make this right for us? I filed a formal complaint, sent pictures and after waiting weeks to finally speak to a supervisor, well...we have earned the opportunity to take advantage of a whopping $75.00 off a future cruise and a $75.00 on-board credit! REALLY, CARNIVAL!? HOW DISRESPECTFUL!!!! We would have to spend MORE money with Carnival in order to use the pathetic credit which is pennies on the dollar to what we spent on a cruise we couldn't shower on!

We will NEVER cruise with Carnival again! I experienced intestinal problems for three days after disembarking. We asked for a report of what was in that water. "Sediments" is what we were told. Sediments of what and why is that supposed to be a sufficient response!? We're concerned for our health! Our celebratory cruise is now a marred memory, thanks to Carnival. I gave this review ONE STAR and that is for our room steward and the dining hall staff. The rest of this company does not care about their guests - only their money.

Carnival Cruise Lines Company Information