Carnival Cruise Lines

Compare Cruise Lines

Research top Cruise Lines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

When my husband and I took our first 7 day cruise, we had no air conditioning in our room all week. We were not moved, nor were we refunded for our cruise in any way. It was the most horrible trip we have ever taken!

GET YOUR "SHIP" TOGETHER! In a nutshell - don't expect much except for rude spa staff, construction at 8 am in the morning and horrible fumes from routine engine testing, I gave one star because I met some awesome people who too were quite miserable. Our cruise experience on the Carnival Fathom from April 23 to April 30 (** - cabinB72). First and Foremost we are experienced "cruisers" with approximately over 15 cruise experiences under our "belt". This we must say has been the first bad experience and it must be brought to your attention as we reach out for rectification.

Our first troubling experience was with the manager of the health spa. For starters my wife, Christine ** has multiple sclerosis and her biggest challenge is balance. For this reason she either exercises barefoot on a treadmill or with sneakers fitted a certain way. Twice within a twenty-minute timeframe she was rudely scolded by Adonia's spa manager (first time for being barefoot, second time for not wearing her sneakers "appropriately"). We found it quite humiliating in the presence of another passenger; who consequently commented and apologized for your staffs' behavior. The video footage will confirm theses statements and events.

Even more disparaging, when Christine explained her reasons to this manager (in my presence), she expressed that she had MS. The manager's response was rude, disrespectful, condescending and degrading. To add insult to injury she added that "all passengers are treated equally, even if they have disabilities." This is harsh to the ears and discriminant to someone that faces daily medical challenges. Boat operator/manager Corey promised us that she would be reprimanded, as he did review the video footage. Nonetheless, Christine felt intimidated using the spa for the remaining 6-day duration of the cruise. The offer for a free bottle of wine from Corey offended us and obviously we declined.

As if this wasn't enough to endure as a start to a week's cruise, we then surprisingly found a letter in our cabin informing us that construction would be facilitated for the entirety of my cruise on the balconies of surrounding balconies. This was deeply disturbing, unprofessional and disrespectful to us as full paying customers. Had we known, obviously we would have chosen a different time or ship to vacation on. Consequently, we immediately notified the guest services and they assured us after we expressed disbelief that they would put a halt to this. Well that did not happen.

The following morning we were awoken to banging on a balcony in the nearby vicinity. A vacation in our opinion and as deserved is one with uninterrupted sleep. We both work hard long hours and entitled to this privilege when we vacation as you can understand surely. Once again, a report and complaint was filed with guest services for this event as well. I would also like to add that I spoke to other passengers that were upset about this noise as well.

Last but certainly not least. a few days after the construction episode, my wife was abruptly awoken at approximately 8 am to the smell of something burning. She immediately ran out of my cabin scantily dressed and nervous to locate the steward. When located she was a few cabins down, already on the phone reaching out for information.

They sent Ricky, a ventilation fitter who advised both of us that there was no imminent danger, rather it was a routine "standard" check for the ventilation system. Really? If this were the case, why so early and more importantly why wouldn't we have been informed in advance? Whatever was used for that test, irritated a burning sensation in my wife's eyes. Even the stewardess was concerned and had to leave the nearby room she was cleaning.

In closing, I understand that the Fathom Adonia will be returning to England and will continue to be owned and operated under Carnival Cruise Lines. I would like to say there were some fun times aboard. The Cuban band was splendid and the wait staff as courteous as possible. Our steward was five star and We enjoyed the intimacy of a smaller ship; making many long lasting friendships. But as an owner of a business, It's only right to correct the wrongs and I am expecting that you will gladly do this. I am expecting to hear back from someone.

Carnival Elation Cruise - What a great experience. Thanks to great staff. Ivan on Deck 6 knew every passenger by name and was on top of his job. The director, Kevin, was helpful and so personable. Thank you to the staff and crew for a vacation to remember. No complaints!

Spent 4 days at sea on a 5 day cruise. Was first told due to medical emergency we would miss Cayman Islands and stop in Jamaica, only to be later told no we would skip Jamaica and stop in Cayman. Found out from other passenger same story same boat same time last year. Carnival offered 20% however only on same length cruise. Never again. Boat is old and dirty. Website says upgrades. Linen and towels were visually not clean. This was my 4th cruise on carnival and my worst. Will not risk it again with these clowns.

This is the third cruise on Carnival I have been on and the first two were great aboard the Carnival Elation, and Triumph. This time we did a 7 day to the Caribbean on the Carnival Dream. This ship had just been updated and was supposed to be bigger and better but I disagree. The ship always had several hot tubs and elevators broken and out of service. The two atm machines for the sail and sign card were not working correctly on the last day. Our room was hot and we woke up sweating every night, I complained about it 5 times and even asked for a fan 4 times which I was denied by guest services every time. The only thing they did was took a temperature reading on our room and it read 78 degrees, nothing ever got done about it.

After the 3rd day at sea, the port side liquor on had Crown and Seagram's available, everything else was sold out. After the 5th day, the ship ran out of all Michelob Ultra beer. The comedy shows were held in the burgundy lounge which is a terrible setup. About 80% of the seats in there do not face the stage and not to mention there was not near enough seating. Had to get there 45 mins early to get a decent seat, and it didn't help that a Carnival employee was reserving seats for himself and several female first time cruisers that he was trying to hook up with the whole comedy show.

The gym on the ship was very small, and during debarkation, certain floors of the ship get called at a time to debark, but Carnival employees were allowing people from other floors off at the same time. Being that we're there with my grandpa in a wheelchair, we were supposed to get off first but we had to wait for an hour to catch an elevator because the employees were allowing floors above us that had not been called to debark yet onto the elevators, so when the elevator would get to our floor it was already full.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

My nightmare with Carnival began in 2015 when I booked a cruise for me and 3 friends. I had been on a cruise before, but had never booked a cruise. I researched the cruise information extensively, checking the ships' available cruises, needed 2 rooms side by side, and the price for each. I then called Carnival to book the 2 rooms I had chosen. I explained to the employee that I was booking for 4 adults, 2 rooms, and would confirm my selection with my friends the following week; no problem. The employee informed me that if my friends did not agree on my selection I could cancel the booking; no problem. The down payment was $530 per room, and I used 2 credit cards to make the deposits on the rooms.

The employee then began telling me that I needed to "get insurance", which I immediately thought she meant medical insurance, which made no sense to me because I and my 3 friends all had medical insurance. She informed me that if I cancelled the bookings I could file an claim to get my deposits back. This type of situation was handled through with an insurance claim. Met with my 3 friends the following week, and 1 friend had just received word that she was going to have surgery with an extensive rehab period, and we decided to cancel the trip until after her rehab. Called Carnival, different employee, and explained situation to her, after which a long heated discussion began.

Finally, she sent me the forms that I needed to file my insurance claim to get my deposits back. One of the forms required that my friend who had the upcoming surgery have her doctor fill out a form about her surgery, which I don't think is anybody's business but hers, plus her doctor charged $25 to fill out the form. Therefore, I did not submit an insurance claim, but after talking to another employee, was informed that there was a $200 per deposit fee because I had cancelled the bookings, making my possible refund now $840. After many heated discussions with several Carnival employees and the insurance company, 1 employee finally stated that I had a $860 credit and could take a cruise before September 2017.

I then decided that I would try to sell my $860 credit in the newspaper and on Craig's list and verified with another Carnival employee that it was OK to do this before placing the ads, which cost me $50 to run the ad in the newspaper for 1 week. Received very few calls, but 1 man called me and told me that he had contacted his travel agency, and I could not sell the cruise. I immediately called Carnival, different employee, and was informed that I needed a transfer form to do this, which would be $20 per booking. In December 2016, my husband was placed on the liver transplant list, and I decided then that the money would be better used in preparation for his transplant, which was approximately in 8 months. I then decided to file the insurance claim, but the claim was denied because my husband needed to prove that he was sick when I made the deposits in 2015.

I then sent an e-mail to Mr. Roger Frizzell, CEO, of Carnival and told him of our financial hardship and the difficulties I had had trying to get my money back for this purpose. Didn't hear from him, but immediately got a call from "right-hand man", Mr. **. Explained in detail my difficulties since 2015, and he was, I thought, genuinely interested in helping me get my deposits back, even said I would get back my full deposits of $530 each, $1060, total elation, short-lived after he told me that they had to return the deposits to the 2 credit cards that I used and gave me the last 4 numbers of the 2 credit cards I had used. Both credit cards have been closed, but "there is no other way to return the deposits." Bank would have to be the one to inform Carnival that the credit cards were closed. 1 credit card had been closed because it had been stolen and replaced; doesn't matter.

Repeatedly contacted Mr. **, still no word from the 2 credit cards that they were closed, "could take up to a month" for this to happen. I then sent a certified letter to Mr. Frizzell that included the whole story again with copies of initial transactions, the 2 credit cards used, the new credit card after old one had been stolen, a copy of the police report verifying card had been stolen, letter from credit card company verifying account had been closed, and a copy of the letter from Emory Hospital verifying husband on liver transplant list. Yesterday received a call from Mr. ** at 5:30 p.m. (he gets off at 6 p.m.) telling me that all the information that I had sent still would not get my refund. What more could I have sent? He had no answer, except credit card company had to be the one to state card closed. I know what he is doing. I have 3 months left before my time runs out to get my money back.

Carnival will continue to stall in order to let my time run out to get this refund. I told Mr. ** he was lying to me. If I made a purchase at Walmart with a credit card, lost the card, got a new card, and tried to return that purchase with my new card, Walmart would be immediately informed that the card was no longer active and give me the money right then. He asked me if I had contacted the credit card companies, but I shouldn't have to do that. The information that I supplied to him should have been sufficient to start the refund process. I am not giving up. I will fight this until there is no more fight, which will be in September 2017, and Mr. ** knows this.

My biggest complaint with Carnival is the terminology that was used by their employees during the booking process. I was totally in the dark, kept talking about insurance, insurance, and I never thought this could get so complicated. Honestly thought that by providing documentation to support everything that has happened would be enough. I now know that first of all, Mr. Frizzell's right-hand man is not as understanding as I thought he was, just "doing his job." You can't tell me that I am the only person this has happened to, and if so, where does all the money Carnival keeps go? I also told Mr. ** that Carnival has the ability to make an exception to the rule, and they could immediately send me a check in the mail if they really wanted to.

My husband and I couldn't take a cruise now even if we wanted to, and we sure could use this money for when the hard part does get here, which is post-transplant. Mr. ** kept apologizing, and I told him his apologizes aren't any good. He knows that I know what Carnival is doing, and his part for Carnival is to continue to stall until September 2017 gets here.

It has been a total nightmare since September 2015. Every Carnival employee had a different answer, and when they did give me their name and extension, I never was able to reach them. Carnival needs to better educate the consumer about the booking process, use better terminology that the layperson can understand. If the employee had said there is no refund if you make these 2 deposits I definitely would not have done this. Again, I know that I am not in this alone, and I just hope that this will help someone in the future not have to go through such an ordeal for your hard-earned money.

I call Carnival travel agent Nov. 2016 to book 2 rooms for me and my wife and separate room for her mother. A week before cruise my wife wanted to pay for chairs for her mother and she was told it would cost triple because 3 peoples in same cabinet. Steve was my travel agent who book 2 rooms and I paid deposit. Steve told me both rooms would be next to each other and we will be close to entertainment. My sister in law asked to cruise with us, so I call ask about price in March, the agent couldn't not find our reservation and she continue looking. She said, "Do we live in Chicago?" I said, "No." And she made changes to correct address and gave price to add one more person to mother in law rooms.

I call Carnival Cruise to correct this issues. The agent/supervisor said there nothing she could do. She suggested leave mother home and wife and I cruise together and take her next time. Then supervisor said, "You can cruise another day and price will increase by $1000 plus." Due to it will cost more or pay penalty and I get what left after. This is wrong for us or anyone to go thru this. We trust that Steve/agent/Carnival Cruise should be held accountable for their action. CARNIVAL FANTASY DATE MAY 25 2017 CRUISE FROM MOBILE, AL. Thanks.

Wow! What horrible experience I had with Carnival Cruise on my honeymoon day. My flight delayed and called them that I will be a little, if there are other options for and the answer no and that was it. I landed in Miami with wife coming from France. Here we are in the middle nowhere. We do not know anyone around. We tried to call Carnival, no suggestion of what we can other than "book a hotel." Like really, after we have a booked a 3 weeks ticket you gonna treat like this? Our honeymoon died from nowhere, we never got even a phone of sympathy from Carnival. I don't care how cheap they can ever be but as for me and my wife we lost $3k.

I recently attended a Carnival Cruise for my graduation of master's program. I was very much looking forward to your cruise. I brought room decorations and felt I did a lot of research preparing myself for your cruise line. Unfortunately, my trip did not go as planned. It was my first cruise and most likely my last. I would have thought that the only reason my cruise could possibly go so wrong would be seasickness. Unfortunately, that was not the case!

The first day on the ship was okay. The tacos we ate were delicious and a great start to the cruise. After that, it went downhill. Our luggage arrived in the nighttime, leaving us no belongings to use throughout the 8 hours. During this time, the cruise was impossible to navigate. We had horrible customer service. I was supposed to be getting a credit to my room which was not added. I went to the front desk and they told me I had to call and they were unable to handle that. I was so happy to be able to get signal to call in my complaint before the boat moved. That was the point I should have gotten off the boat.

From that point on the cruise went terrible. I was shocked at how terrible the food was. The first day it seemed delicious and the first morning had a unique breakfast menu. From that point on the food was inedible. The meats I ordered appeared to be 75% fat. I absolutely love cheesecake - the cheesecake served did not taste or look like cheesecake. I can go on and on about the food. At one point I got food from the buffet and within 15 minutes was throwing up in my stateroom and in the room for the night. Does this sound like fun? Think about sitting in front of the toilet after eating that terrible food and smelling some horrendous smell from the bathroom. There was a sewer smell seeping throughout the entire ship when randomly walking around - specifically towards the FWD part of the boat on levels 3-5.

Let's rewind for a minute. I was promised many things for the cruise itinerary such as swimming pools, waterslide and mini golf. The mini golf course was appearing to be falling apart - a piece of junk. By the end of the week there were no balls left for us to use. Where was the staff to monitor this? We get on the boat and the waterslide appeared to be green and moldy - I quickly found out why we were unable to use it. The pools appeared green too! They were tiny and looked as though someone put a swamp inside. I was afraid to go in the pools. The last day I finally sucked it up and went in, and what do you know? I got a rash all over my neck. Disgusting. Does this sound fun yet? Why were these things that I paid for not available? I should have had access to clean pools, a waterslide and a functioning mini golf course. That was not the case.

The deck appeared to be dirty throughout the entire stay. I was afraid to take my shoes off - I would have caught many more rashes. When watching your movies, I noticed that many parts of the screen had messed up pixels - the quality was terrible. When trying to get blankets that were supposedly complimentary, 3 of the nights they were not available. I went to press my luck at your casino which was pitiful. I had many issues on the machines and the workers did not appear to know how to fix them so I didn't set foot back in there. The shows on the boat were sub-par. The comedy show was not funny at all. It was extremely offensive and not geared toward a variety of populations and races. I felt discriminated against while on your ship. I attempted to see a wonderful world dance show and actually found that to be hilarious - hilariously terrible.

I can go on and on with my complaints - undrinkable free lemonade and tea, events geared to 5 year old children, room lady not knowing our name and getting us confused with other people, horribly long lines and crowded ships, lack of events, etc. I go on so many vacations and have never had to deal with such terrible services and amenities. When attempting to get things resolved at the desk I was constantly told I must call after the cruise.

After one phone call of getting nowhere - my phone was hung up on multiple times when trying to get a hold of customer service. I would wait 15 minutes to a half hour and the phone would answer then hang up with no one on the line. I am so disgusted by this experience. I was offered a room credit for a future cruise which was a joke. I feel like I have been treated so unbelievably poorly. Your website guarantees a refund for people who are not pleased. I hope that your cruise line will keep its word. I will continue to call, send letters and notify newspapers and media if things do not get handled.

We sailed on Carnival Victory on Aug 21- 25. We have been on about 7 cruises but this was our first Carnival and we was so horrified of the nastiness we experienced. I have photos to show and I would like my money back for this cruise. After snuggling up in our bedsheets for a whole night we discovered urine on our bed sheets. This really freaked us out. We tried calling housekeeping 2 times and no answer. I called customer service and I took a picture and went to customer service. The guy that cleaned our room was upset at us that we reported and gave us attitude because we wanted the sheets changed. Not only that when we arrived in our bathroom there was chunks of something behind the toilet like the floor never got cleaned. Photos taken of that. We kept smelling sewage in our room and come to find out the people next door's toilet was backing up so they had to come in our room to open the hatch to fix it.

We couldn't see out the glass on our deck because it hadn't been cleaned in I don't know how long. The slide was closed the whole time for low chlorination and they closed the back swimming pool because it was turning a funny color so they drained it. Honestly I have never ever experienced this on any cruise ship. We purchased the soda package but to actually get sodas was a hassle. You had to go to the bar and they had to ring it up and you sign for it. The amount of time we had to wait because most people got alcoholic drinks was not worth it.

I will do what I have to do and show pictures to whomever I have to show to but I want a refund. You should really address to if the housekeeping is cleaning like suppose to. You guys have such a fast turnaround from people arriving to people getting off ship that it's not possible. Oh and another bad thing was 3 people complained of bed bugs on same floor and we saw men in full suits coming to inspect room. Come on keep your ship up. Old or new ship I've been on both and this was the worst of worst.

My sister, cousin and I took our first cruise, 7 days, from Galveston, TX, February 11, 2017. I paid over $5000.00 for the 3 of us. We paid extra for VIP parking and boarding. We were supposed to board at 10:00 AM and leave port at 4:00 PM. Due to FOG which happens every February (Carnival neglected to mention), we did not board until 6:00 PM and departed 2:00 AM second day. Due to late departure, first stop Jamaica was skipped. By 3rd day at sea I became sick after eating the fish tacos and was in my cabin that night and all the next day. Afternoon of 4th day called the ship's clinic for some **. I was told I had to come down to the clinic to get it. After arriving, Dr. said I was not contagious, fever 99, gave me the pills and then quarantined me to my cabin for 24 hours. So needless to say I was not able to see second port Grand Cayman. Carnival gave me a letter of credit for 1 day towards my next cruise.

Trust me. There will not be another cruise, for any of us. The two girls with me said they would never go again. The food was horrible in the main restaurant. The only thing good was the burger stand. The drinks were overpriced. Let me say that our Cabin Steward was wonderful. Due to the fact that I spent most of my cruise in the cabin, he went overboard to make it as pleasant as possible. The entire trip was not fun for three ladies in their 60's. That's a shame for something we saved up for, for several years and then chose Carnival. Never again...

First time cruiser and was a complete nightmare! First of all the boat never made it to Jamaica. We were initially told we would not be going to the Cayman Islands, then when we got to Jamaica we were not allowed to port. The excursions were cancelled and recharged so many times we spent hours of our vacation in line on the ship to talk to customer service. The ship's solution to the lack of ports was to play bingo? Wow... awesome. Then when we finally got to get off of the ship I checked my luggage so I wouldn't have to lug it in long lines. I placed my laptop bag inside my suitcase. When I received my bag it was ripped at the bottom and my laptop's power button was jammed inside my computer.

The computer repair guys have all laughed and said Carnival would have basically had to play kick-ball with my computer for this amount of damage to be done. I have been calling and calling Carnival though my travels home and finally got a callback today (4 days later) all to be told they are not liable because of small print about valuables. DO NOT CRUISE WITH CARNIVAL! You will sail in circles for a week and have all your stuff ruined and no one will do the right thing because of their fine print. I am appalled and disgusted by my experience.

I just had the best first cruise me and my husband has ever had. All the associates were so kind and helpful, especially our stateroom steward, CYRIL and Frankie. They were a lot of fun. Frankie did a game with a couple of (3) cruisers, it was a laugh a minute. Thank you Carnival for hiring the right team!

Valor April 27 - May 1, 2017. Galveston - I have been on 4 Carnival cruises and at least 20 other cruises. THE WORST CRUISE EVER!!! Dirty, dirty, dirty. Stained, worn carpet. Lukewarm showers. Mold on balcony deck chairs. Cigarette butts and trash on balcony. Entertainment just so-so. Food, tasteless for the most part. Hair balls and pills from previous cruisers in cabin on the floor. They do not allow you to bring on your own water, afraid everyone is sneaking on liquor. Didn't even check to see if the seals were broken. Needed distilled water for my cpap machine and they took my bottle and sold me a gallon on the ship. We had 15 ladies in our group for a ladies' bible study. Had several first time cruisers. Their comments were "rude" service and very noisy. Carnival needs clean up their ships and their act! They lost me for good this time. Would not go on one of their ships for anything.

Everything starts well first two days then last three days you hear stories of honeymoon couple getting forced into bunk beds, sleeping on the floor, Asian employees everywhere, not being racist but a lot less work ethic than the people from the islands we've had before. They find ways not to clean and restock your room. Then to top it off after being veeery very careful to read fine print while booking a $2300 trip, the last day they show you that per person you are being hit with $97 gratuity charge. Per person!!!?

So I've been here for 7 days and gratuity was included in all bar and room purchases but then on top of that they hit us with another $200 even though I've been adding to the included tips per drink, food, everything. Now the last day is ruined and everyone's walking around miserable talking about how they all have got hit for $200. Thieves. Never again. Royal Caribbean here we come! Carnival is the minor leagues of cruises now and they see it so raping people on the way out. Pay extra upfront to not be raped at the end. Trust me.

The good part of the cruise: The beds were very comfortable. The food was decent. The staff was very friendly and fun. The entertainment was great. The bad part of the cruise: The hot tubs were cold to luke-warm at best. The Behind the Fun Tour was a disaster because of the rubber tire mat flooring fumes in the engine room were so strong. It was causing unhealthy air and caused me to be severely sick.

There was also no non-smoking areas in the casino areas so again the air was unhealthy and we were not able to enjoy bars or casino areas because of this. The parasailing was cheaper if you didn't go with the cruise line. Overall, I would still go on a Carnival Cruise if they improve on air quality. They really should be concerned with the unhealthy air exposure to their employees in their engine rooms.

Carnival victory tragedy 3/23/2017 - On March 20th of 2017. Me and my family took a Cruise to celebrate our birthdays from Miami, destination to Key West and Cozumel, Mexico. What a nightmare. At 3:00 am loud speakers over our heads started saying, "Man overboard, man overboard." It was a horrific event that had everyone shaken by it. A man was overboard and his name was Brandon **. Very sad that we couldn't find him or save him from that pitch black ocean plus the boat didn't stop until 15/20 later after he had fallen. Told by a witness, Poor protocol. This could have been prevented if they would just stop serving alcohol to all these young people and late hours. Security for this cruise line is very poor. Never saw one. All I saw was a lot of waiters selling alcohol even to minors without asking for an ID. It happen to us. My 12-year-old son still having nightmares due to this horrific event.

Very disappointed with Carnival Cruise Lines offering us the consumer a trip to Cozumel that was canceled and turn around due to what had happen and it's understandable we have to look for this young man. I agree 100% but to come around and offer us a 20% on the next trip it's very disgusting offer. We save a whole year for this trip and has been taken away and has giving us horrible memories. I have research and Carnival fantasy had a similar situation and they had a full refund. Why not us. Something has to be done!!! My prayers goes to Brandon's family in these moments of sorrow for their loss and this difficult time. Rip Brandon **. It's also a petition for this in change.org.

I went on a Carnival Cruise Ship Freedom out of Galveston Tx on March 25-Apri 1, 2017 for my birthday. My sisters and I went. Well we never got same waiter until we asked for him because we didn't have a set time to dine. Never met the people whom we were charged to give tips to. We received horrible service by the casino main bartender, food was non-tasting and the same thing every day especially breakfast. We. bought souvenirs alcohol for our family and friends to find out they were given to wrong people or crew took them. While talking to customer service on board we learned cameras, purses and other gifts were missing. I would love to go on another trip with all my kids but am scared to now.

Carnival Cruise line decided to substitute Costa Maya (not even a city) for our intended destination Grand Cayman on April 1 launch of Paradise. Wow, what a swap. So sort of like you want to fly to Las Vegas, and we drop you in Cheyenne, Wyoming instead? How in the hell do the cruise company Carnival get away with this? Here's how: They offer a 25% refund, despite not being able to make the intended journey. So if you cancel this bait and switch cruise, you lose 75% of your money. I got pissed. Called the Coast Guard since they said it was due to the Paradise's reduced speed capability due to a generator failure. The coast guard is pretty much in bed with them so they accept the swapped itinerary, and the whole loss of redundancy of the ship's generator system. This allows them to rip off the public, and they keep getting away with it.

Well that's not all. The cruise departed two and a half hours late, with no warning, explanation, or otherwise. Whatever. Our cabin had mold and smell in it that was disgusting. I have pictures of black mold in the shower, and a broken shower head that poured most of the shower water out the side. The crew stumble around like zombies from being overworked. Every meal we had was decent, but the wait staff messed it up every night, and got our order wrong or forgot something. It's OK though, because gratuity is AUTOMATICALLY CHARGED to your card, regardless of their zombie behavior or the ** service.

The kids had to quit swimming in the pool on day two, because someone puked in the pool, and the crew came and looked at the floating mess, and said it was normal and walked away. Needless to say, we never got back in the bio hazard pool the rest of the cruise. We were survivors of this sailing only to be greeted by ** cops and Carnival personnel in the disembark terminal who were all rude and left a very negative impression. I won't cruise with this company again.

My niece and her boyfriend booked a Carnival Cruise and found out that they cannot go as he was diagnosed with cancer and medically will not be able to go onto the cruise. Carnival policy is to charge a cancellation fee 46%. I explained that this cancellation is due to a young adult with cancer, that I can provide any information his doctor showing his illness and his chemo treatment. I spoke to the escalation department - this is for customers that do not want to take the initial decision of their customer service - they offered them $ 435.80 credit for taxes and gratuities and a voucher of $2.058.00 for any future cruises that they need to use within 24 months.

I explained that we aren't sure if he will be able to use this in 24 months... they said that he can give it to someone else. I asked and asked and asked to have them please look to see if they can help and I got "this is what we are willing to do, that I am a cancer survivor as well and we are going above and beyond what Carnival policy allows." I realize that they should have taken out insurance, however they had no intention of every cancelling this vacation. How would one know that they would be diagnosed with cancer with no prior history?

My husband and I went on a Carnival cruise with a group of 24 people. This ship is not very disabled friendly at all. I was given a wheelchair which was nice but once on the ship it was apparent that this ship wasn't going to be easy to navigate at one point or another. I was stuck at a set of stairs which frankly the first evening caused me quite a bit of pain. Yes they were nice and brought me ice in bags which helped. But access to many places on this ship made it difficult. I am walking disabled. I did purchase the package to be able to communicate with friends and family. It didn't work 3/4ths of the time. Also every time we left our room someone had come in to clean or organize it and by the end of the cruise a fur pom had been taken from my bag. It was a 50 dollar piece as well as I was very uncomfortable because I left a sign we needed no cleaning.

The evening I got injured my party had a table waiting and because I could not move fast to get to the dining room we got there mid dinner the staff blatantly refused to serve me a dinner until one of our party spoke up and insisted they least gave me a small something. It was horrible to think I would have to walk further to get a meal, it was so rude. And the attitude on subsequent days at restaurants continued once at breakfast because they had me stand and wait. I sat at a table. I was hurting. Mind you it was very early and the restaurant had only maybe four families seated. For us to sit at a table should have been no big deal. The gentleman attitudes us until I said this kind of service is servicemen would do a bad review on only then he changed his tune in the meantime.

He gabbed with other staff members obviously throwing rude looks towards our table the whole meal. I was seriously concerned they may do something to my drink or food but given my disability I wasn't going to go get up and walk to another location to eat. On our way out my husband asked for a wheelchair. I was looked at up and down and smirked at by the staff. NOT ALL DISABLED PERSONS ARE in a WHEELCHAIR. Many DISABLED have limited mobility like myself and the attitude sucked!

I called as soon as we were off the ship because my Visa was not returned to me when we picked up our pictures on the way out. A huge inconvenience as we were in Los Angeles for the rest of the week having to report a lost Visa without a credit card now! I also reported all the bad service and heard nothing from Carnival cruise to remedy the bad experience. I GUARANTEE I WILL NEVER RETURN TO THAT CRUISELINE AGAIN. Be forewarned it's horrible. Pay more to take a well-run Cruise.

We purchased a 7 day cruise to the Mexican Riviera. We purchased the interior cabin for a little over $1700. Five days prior to sailing day we get a phone call from someone at Carnival sales department saying that they are going to "upgrade" us to balcony for a substantial discount for only $400. My husband believed them and bought into their sales pitch. I later go online and price the room and to my surprise... it was not discount! They mislead people to believe they are getting a discount to upsell you!! I have been cruising with Carnival since 2003 and trust me, this will be the last if they don't fix this.

Just got off a cruise the Carnival Victory March 27. I am a Platinum almost a Diamond and the disappointment on this cruise was overwhelming. #1 the serenity pool was turned into a day care because of spring break. I as an adult had nowhere to go and spent most of the cruise in my room. When I told customer service that he said "well maybe schedule your vacation another time during the year." No, I should still have what I was looking forward to no matter what time of the year I book. Those kids are not the ones that pay for the cruise, the adults do and should be accommodated. #2 Was asked by housekeeping do I want my room cleaned once or twice or day or both. I picked both. Had wet towels in my room for a day and a half... #3 Was charged $.69 for going from the Pacifica dining room to the Atlantic dining room. Check your statement .69 for about two thousand people adds up.

#4 was waiting on the stair landing to go into Cozumel. People started gathering and formed a line. As the people were coming down Monika kept saying "go to your right" and the line became about 30 people wide. People were yelling go to the back of the line. She got a phone call on her walkie-talkie and she said "they are forming a line but I did not ask them to" and laughing. I walked up to her and said this is getting dangerous and people should be in a line for safety. She said if I didn't like the way this was being handled I should go wait up on deck 9. Spoke with the supervisor and she said "well when you have a big group of people it is hard to control." I agreed and said in America we make lines and it could have easily been handled by an organized line, not a mob line. I kept thinking that I was going to get trampled. Maybe I should start working towards being a valued member on another cruise line that will value my business.

Don't have a problem on a Carnival Cruise Line or you will then become a Very Unimportant Person! We cruised on the Carnival Vista last May, 2016, debarking on the 24th. The night before I checked in at customer services on the ship and reiterated we needed to be off the ship early for a flight. We were in the 17th group to debark from the ship which, as you can imagine, put us at a disadvantage trying to get to the airport 1 1/2 hours away. The taxi driver said we wouldn't make it, but he would try. We were too late by five minutes, but got approval to get on board. A piece of the luggage was missing, but we did not have time to fill out paperwork.

Instead, I called the emergency number twice and was given the Customer Care number to contact. I did this promptly and was questioned why we didn't tell someone we needed to be off the ship early and why we didn't fill out the paperwork at debarkation! Once they were informed these steps were taken, I had provided a description of the bag, a description of the contents of the bag, a copy of my passport and driver's license. A few days later my bag was recovered, but there was no contact after that. I phoned three times a week for three weeks, and finally I was told they were on strike at the port.

In July, I was told I would not have to pay for my bag to be returned (since I did not fill out the paperwork, I might have to pay), but Sharon in Customer Care got it waived, and DHL would be returning it. There were items removed from my bag that apparently could not be returned by DHL and would be held on the ship when it returned in November. Considering it was May 24 when the bag disappeared, that would make it a minimum of six months! We researched DHL's website and also called DHL. We were told these items were fine to transport, but to no avail with Carnival.

The bag arrived July 18 and most of the items were intact, but several things were missing including my paperwork placed on top to protect the bag, a small bag with souvenirs/jewelry from Ephesis,Turkey, and a large purchase made on the ship from the SPA--Ionithermie products, that were $849. I reported this and we concluded that these might have been in the items removed and placed on the ship to be returned in November.

Finally, the Ionithermie SPA products were a regimen that had to be followed, and since this regimen got disrupted after only a few days and the fact that the products were going to be 7 months old, I decided to write a letter dated November 25, 2016 directed to the CEO, Arnold Donald and sent it certified. I called December 13, to follow up on the disposition of the letter. I was informed it had been assigned to Cesar ** in the Carnival Executive offices and to allow time for him to respond. Shortly after, I received a call from Customer Care as to where they should send my remaining items that were held on the ship. I told them to wait, explaining I had sent a letter and was waiting on a response.

January 9, 2017, I started calling at 11:36 AM and was transferred three times, held 50 minutes, and was disconnected. I called back, held again, hung up, called back, pressed the #4 prompt for travel operations, and left my name and number in a voicemail. I was on the phone more than two hours. The next day I called and after being transferred to Customer Care, I was told, "They aren't going to do anything!" Really? I had explained that I wrote a certified letter and the sequence of events that led up to that phone call. She was so rude!

January 31, I still had not received a response to my letter and called again and asked for Cesar **. The attendant sent me to Human Resources and Jessie answered the call. I explained everything from the beginning and she gave me the name of Arlene, a director, and said she would email her. February 2, Sharon from Customer Care called me and said they would replace one batch of broken vials from the Ionithermie SPA products. There were three batches of 12 glass vials secured in protective wrapping, and three other products with the regimen; a blue toner, an emulsion lotion, and a body lotion. I refused wanting to pursue my letter, but she transferred me to Lori, her supervisor. She said they are willing to refund $212 (this was an approximate amt.) and I explained I had a whole regimen that was disrupted and was missing 2/3 of the products.

She said that is all she will pay, and besides, they were broken anyway! Am I taking it or not? If not, then she is closing the case! I was so infuriated! I wrote another letter dated January 31, sent it certified to Arnold Donald, CEO, again and still did not receive a response! March 23, I called, asked for Jessie in HR, she transferred me to Lori and I hung up. I called again as I am so angry with Carnival's treatment of their "VIP" repeat customers, no less and I had nothing to show for the missing Ionithermie products, and $138 of souvenirs that I had not even claimed except in the beginning. All of my brochures from other countries, the daily itinerary and all of the paperwork from the cruise were removed from the top of my bag as well.

I received Natalie in the executive offices, and she tried to help me. She confirmed my Sail and Sign account purchase of the Ionithermie, mentioned my decline of the $212, and told me to call Francesca, a representative for a company that insures purchases on the ship. Francesca's number is **. She said Francesca should be contacting me the same day as she had emailed her, but if not, to call her myself. My phone rang with a Florida number and I answered thinking it was Francesca. It was instead Lori, and she flatly stated I would receive $212 or nothing. She further stated how did they know my products were in the bag anyway! She said the vials were broken, so technically, they didn't even have to replace them! Excuse me!

I was so angry by that point, I spoke my mind about this entire fiasco including the fact that my suitcase weighed slightly over 50 lb. and nothing additional would fit into my bag. An extra bag purchased at Sam Moon in Dallas was brought to contain our purchases overseas. I pointed out that we were not contacted about a previous cruise where the ship turned up on its side and everything was broken everywhere on the ship, not to mention everyone was thrown out of their beds at 3:30 in the morning!

She said they don't do anything if the ship "listed" a little! There are hundreds of people that went through this, and not even an acknowledgement! To conclude, she said they don't guarantee employee theft, she cut me off, dismissed everything, and told me all they were paying was the $212! I said I am contacting Francesca first. She said, "Who is Francesca?" I explained Natalie in the executive offices referred me to her, and I would like to speak to her first. However, I have left at least two messages every day for Francesca, and have not heard from her.

What kind of company is this?? They entice you with their advertising to cruise on Carnival, and do not care about you or anything about you should you encounter any problems. It seems like they are only interested in taking your money, but not honoring their mistakes. I reported the items in my bag on the first day! At that point, I had no idea that any of this would take place! They verified my Sail and Sign account and acknowledged my purchase. I did not even claim the bag of souvenirs and jewelry from Ephesis, Turkey, for which I have the receipt--$138!

Lori, was so entirely rude and not friendly, basically accusing me of lying about the items in my bag! I can't believe she said, "How do we know they were even in your bag?" I accused her of calling me a liar, because that is exactly what she was implying! In closing, I have not given up yet, but my family and friends that have traveled on Carnival are appalled at this treatment and were from the very beginning. I am sure Carnival has lost some valued travelers! They don't care, I am sure!! In closing, I have all of my calls saved and documented, and the letters available for further evaluation.

My family and I were on the Carnival Cruise ship Victory this past week. We were on a 4 day cruise from Miami to Key West to Cozumel. When we got in I immediately noticed problems. The ship was so crowded. The pools are super small and they are all at least four feet deep. I have small children and 4 feet is pretty big for them. It took forever to get our food every single time. The lines are off the charts to get drinks, pop and everything in between. They crowd the ship up so much that it almost becomes intolerable. There is not enough lounge chairs for the guests at the pool so we had to stand a few times. My husband bought a drink when we first arrived and the sign said 7.95. When we received our bill they had charged just 14.95 and would not give him any money back.

We had a huge incident on a boat where one of the passengers fell overboard. He was not recovered. We were not able to go to Cozumel the cause of this which is totally understandable. The priority was looking for the missing passenger we understand but Carnival did nothing to accommodate its passengers on the boat. No Wi-Fi to call our families, no money taken off or refunded to us because we missed our port in Cozumel (except $9.57 per person port fees), not even a free drink. They did offer everyone on board a 20% credit toward a future Cruise but who wants to go on another cruise on an awful ship. The Experience really could not have been any worse. Awful customer service and I am sure that they lost 80% of those passengers on that cruise for future visits. We were promised and cruise to Cozumel and we did not get there. So they need to give customers what they paid for.

I foolishly counted on Carnival's promise of providing me my wedding photos. The photos weren't that great, but there were many I was interested in buying. The cruise line printed the best pictures in 8X10 size. They provided an "a la carte" option of buying photos, however refused to sell these preprinted 8x10 photos to me in a 5X7 size, at 5X7 price. They kindly offered to sell me them in 5X7 size at 8X10 price. I gave them every opportunity to allow me to purchase the photos as I requested, but they outright refused to do so. Carnival stole my wedding pictures from me. Bring your own photographer if you're marrying on Carnival Cruise. I recommend not even looking at the photos they take at the wedding. It may be a hassle not worth it to kick them out of the ceremony and reception, but I'd ditch their photographer for poses before and after these events.

#1: 2675 passengers; 2600 were drunk college students that completely took over the ship. We had to step over people just to walk by, no room in hot tubs, chairs, or pool. Stuck on "fun day at sea" for all but 5 1/2 hours! (Carnival can't control the weather, but another port option? Come-on! Shows worse than high school, Music blasting, not enough to do. Food/coffee in buffet terrible. Had to walk way too far for excursion, staff should have helped. Room staff: excellent. Sure wish I had read the reviews before I booked. What a waste of my money. You can bet we had let ALL our friends know. Nothing like word of mouth... Carnival.

This particular cruise was our third cruise with Carnival, but the rest of my family's (my mom, 4 brothers and their wives, so 10 in all) "first" and "only" cruise. It was a bucket list dream of my mother's to go and we purchased it for her as a Christmas gift. Needless to say had we have known that they would be dismantling a water slide at this time, and dry docking the boat after the next week, we never would have booked. The noise, the smell of cutting plastic, the inconvenience to the passengers, especially the children, not being able to use the slide and the adults not being able to relax.

It is a known fact that the following cruise (Feb 18-25) on this same ship (Glory) were compensated for their inconvenience. How is it that one cruise gets compensated and not others? I have been a loyal Carnival Client, but I am rethinking my loyalty at this time. I think maybe it is time to check out the competition. I was embarrassed to have told my entire family that Carnival Cruise Lines was the way to go.

We went on a cruise in March leaving from Port Canaveral. The entire cruise experience was wonderful minus one major thing. When we booked our cruise, we were not informed that the galley was located directly above our balcony suite. They were very noisy making it impossible to sleep from 1 am to 4 am which made the rest of our trip less pleasant. We even complained one night but we never received any response back.

If we were told that this could be an issue or even that the galley was above us, we would not have reserved these particular rooms. It wasn't just me and my husband either. We had friends on either side of us that were awake all night also. Carnival should have thought about this when the ship was designed. A 24 hour kitchen needs to be above a bar or restaurant and not above sleeping passengers. I will cruise again with Carnival as this is my 4th but I am very disappointed that we weren't told of this ahead of time when we booked the cruise almost a year in advance.

Went on a cruise out of Charleston on March 15th. Unfortunately, LOTS of college kids were on the cruise and apparently on spring break. However, the worst part was, my husband got food poisoning the morning we docked in Nassau. Next, my 79 year old mother got violently ill the evening before we disembarked along with my sister and brother-in-law. We narrowed it down to a Caesar salad they had all eaten for dinner. Carnival says they won't do anything about it and my mother had to pay for medicine just so she could stop throwing up and try to get back home. This was her first cruise. NEVER AGAIN CARNIVAL!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.
  • Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.
  • Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.
  • Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.
  • Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.
  • Best for The Carnival Cruise liner is best for budget-aware cruisers and families.

Compare Cruise Lines