2.94/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1372 Carnival Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I was on the Fantasy. My cabin U12 was very warm. I complained several times. This was a 10-day cruise which I kept my cabin door open to be comfortable. The temp was 73 degrees which was their standard. I paid over $1500 to be hot on my cruise. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

This was my 4 cruise with Carnival Cruise and I wasn't happy with their room, I had file 2 complaint with the front desk during this cruise and they ignore my request and complaint. Now I file a complaint with the cruise line to get the result and they flat line to the person handily the complaint. I now requested for 495.65 to be refund back to my CC in order to compensate for the trouble. They were very rude and careless with their words. I have try to dispute with my CC and they lie to them and “CITIBANK" believe them. Trust me this will be the last cruise I would take with them. They were horrible with their services and concern.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We booked three cabins on Dream several months ago. When we checked last week discovered their clerk never charged us for one of the cabins. Time went by and that cabins was canceled due to non-payment. The clerk never put payment on card, and now thing Carnival says well was never paid. The three cabins were booked at same paid for by my wife and all cruisers were family members. Carnival is in error and acts like it is our problem and our error. They never notified us. One final point - we are travel agents. Think of how they treat clients.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Had to cancel our cruise because of money. Even though we canceled over 90 days in advance they still charged us 800.00. We could use that money. We didn't book the best room. In fact it was probably the cheapest. I always wanted to go on a cruise. It won't be this line when we can. Also the couple we were going with her spouse died suddenly and she was still going to be charged. I wish I could collect money from clients when they can't make an appointment. I know the bottom line is important but this is terrible.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I booked my first cruise two months in advance on the Victory. We were suppose to leave Miami and go to Key West and Cozumel, Mexico (4 day cruise). Upon arrival we were given a change in itinerary on the ramp 30 minutes to departure due to our plane being delayed. At that point we agreed to board and accept the change, not knowing anything about Princess Cays. The food was terrible! Breakfast was cold at the buffet, no warming lamps. Our dinners were not good but if we paid $20 to get the steakhouse selection, then they were wonderful. Additional expense we did not count on. The booze was watered down! I would drink 8-9 drinks per day and never feel buzzed. But I could have 3 beers at the airport with our 4 hour delay and feel pretty intoxicated.

We did not find out why the itinerary was changed until we received a notice under our door. Apparently, they could not go full speed due to engine troubles. (I was not happy to learn this and already be sailing). What I do not get nor could customer relations clarify: Why did we not go to Key West (close to Miami) and then to Nassa versus Cozumel? Instead we went to Nassa and Princess Cays which is even further than Cozumel. This makes no sense! Sadly, Princess Cays had no tourist attractions! It was a rocky beach and Carnival brought lunch over from the ship on these small boats. How can Carnival honestly think any guest would be happy with this itinerary change? No excursions, restaurants or shops??? This was such a disappointment for my first cruise.

I recommend ROYAL CARIBBEAN for anyone thinking of going on a cruise. Carnival is all about the money and not about making their guests happy. ENGINE ISSUES... Cancel the cruise but instead the money was more important to Carnival. Shame on them! We made the best of a bad situation but feel Carnival could have done better with our stops if they insisted on taking a ship that had mechanical troubles. They gave us a $50 credit on our account. Seriously? Our safety is worth $50? Carnival you totally hurt yourselves on this cruise that should have been cancelled. The new itinerary was further away so how did the Captain make this decision? No one in customer relations can answer this... Very concerning.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Returned from 10 day on the Ecstasy Sept 17. Unpacked luggage on bed, and stored it under bed. On 21 Sep woke up in my bed itching, after several nights of this it was finally determined by an exterminator that bed bugs had taken up residence in the bed, he also found them in the luggage and said that was the point of entry, had to burn bed, destroy mattress and rip up carpet. But of course Carnival denied any problem. We are Diamond/Platinum and you would think someone from customer service would offer some solace by phone as we are going out again on the Ecstasy on 10 November. Not even a steak dinner was offered.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Our first cruise, left from Baltimore MD on October 7, 2018 for 7 days to Grand Turk and Bahamas. Upon return Sunday October 14, was feeling a little flu like. Thought it was due to the weather being cooler upon return. Monday started with diarrhea and vomiting consistently. Chills, fevers, we slept with 3 blankets and the heat on 75! Our thermostat never goes above 68 all year long. By Thursday and an additional 4 days missed from work I went to the ER. My husband didn’t think he could make it there without an episode. Preliminary showed some type of infection was treated with an antibiotic. They performed tests, final results came back today positive for salmonella. My husband went on Friday, his results are due back tomorrow. I have improved with antibiotics. The doctor he saw didn’t give him any, he is still sick and had yet to go back to work.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have taken two cruises with Carnival in the past two years and had a good time. I purchased trip insurance both times and didn’t have to use it. We were supposed to take a 8 day cruise to the Bahamas the first week in November 2018 which we booked at a good rate about a year ago. My mom fell and hit her head on September 29. We have been in the hospital fighting strokes, infections, seizures, etc. ever since. It is now October 19th and things were not looking good for my mom so we decided to try to change our cruise to April 2019.

Long story short... we got different answers from different people within customer service. Some said we could just apply our money from this cruise and rebook at a later date and then the next time we called and got a different person, we couldn’t do that. Basically just got the run-around each time my wife called. The final decision was that they said that they would not allow us to just rebook another cruise later because they would not be able to sell our cabin so they forced us to go through the insurance claim process which forced us to lose about $300 according to my wife who had to do all of the negotiating because I was at the hospital all the time.

Well, Carnival, you not only are not going to be able to sell THAT cabin, but you will not ever be able to sell ME another cabin again either. So, congratulations, you have permanently lost a customer for the rest of my life, and anyone I can manage to persuade not to use your cruise lines for the rest of my life. You are a really greedy company who doesn’t care about their customers. I probably would have booked 10 or more cruises the rest of my life, but now that is not going to happen. At least not with you.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I was initially extremely frustrated by our travel planner with Carnival because we were supposed to get a group discount for our party of 18+ people (this is why we decided to go with Carnival in the first place) but then once we placed our down payment we were told we just "didn't have a discount". Several family members tried to call and get it in order but were given sterile answers. Once on the ship, the employees were very kind and thoughtful. Our room attendant Melencio was a complete gem and even remembered my name as well as my husband's name!

It was very apparent, however, on the Carnival Sunshine that the employees had little to no freedom to give guests the better experience. It was clear that the employees were frustrated with how little input they were allowed to give and creativity they were allowed to implement. In the end the kindness and thoughtfulness of the staff made up for all the other blunders, but I will most likely not be returning to Carnival again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

It was my first cruise and I was excited to be going on it. A friend and I booked a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Freedom. Let me start with not all of my cruise was bad. I enjoyed the food and the entertainment was great. However, I went to an art auction and they were giving away a Thomas Kinkade original print and I won the raffle. I was told that I would receive it a couple of weeks after I returned home. I have yet to receive it and it has been over a month. When we got off the ship in Belize which by the way was the one I was most excited to see it was a disaster. People were pushy about excursions and breading your hair. So we begin to walk and we were surrounded by them just pushing and we tried to walk off and one of the guys said lookout and pushed me into a car. I hit my face on it and the next thing I remember was sitting on the ground with blood pouring out of my nose.

One of the officers did ask if I was ok but they were not trying to help at all just letting the blood flow. They said I could go to hospital but I may miss my ship. I went back to the ship with my nose bleeding and went to the doctor they then told me I had to pay more than what I had with me to see the doctor. I didn’t take much money so it wouldn’t be stolen and the only credit card I had was prepaid so my cards wouldn’t be comprised. I got something for my nose and went to customer relations and all they did was write it down and I had to ask for an ice pack. They called the room the next day to see if I was alright and that was the last I heard about it. I was so disappointed but the lack of concern that they had for me their passenger was unbelievable. That is what bothers me more than anything.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

We went on a three day cruise leaving Miami to the Bahamas 9/28/2018. We were celebrating my husband's birthday and decided to visit the spa. We were given two $50 gift cards. Our back massage (which we were told would be $115pp) came out to $356. We were told that we can only use one of the gift cards (not both). Upon checkout we were told the gift cards were expired (mind you, we have only been on the ship for 24 hrs). We paid the money and were disappointed, but moved on with our day. We went for breakfast on the 3rd floor (Pacific dining) at 830 am, by 945 am we still had not received our breakfast and only had 15 mins to get off of the ship before our van left for the excursions.

We made our hostess aware that we had to leave are about to miss our van. Our waiter came over and stated that we should have told him we were deboarding, he would have had the food prepared quicker -_-. He was unapologetic and made it seem as if it was our fault that we had not eaten. We were trying to be as patient as possible. It was just one nightmare after another. We purchased an internet package, which did not work. The internet was extremely slowww. I could barely send a text. Next time we would definitely try Royal Caribbean. We did not have fun at all.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I did a 3-night cruises from Long Beach to Ensenada and back in September 2018. The ship was in poor condition and the decor was almost comically garish and cheap. Shockingly, they had almost NO vegetarian options in their buffets, and the food in general was terrible. They also encourage "fun" which apparently means actively trying to get people to have "refreshments" from first thing in the morning. I had many drunked guests walk by me swearing and yelling (although no one bothered me personally) and I never saw anyone from Carnival intervene. They also do not place the same emphasis on cleanliness as other cruise ships I've been on - it's surprising there aren't more diseases spread.

BTW - if my experience was typical, don't bother buying the Internet. It was operative maybe 40% of the time (they did give me a refund). Ironically, I was given a reference number by the customer service manager on board with an e-mail address to send my complaints. It's coming up on 4 days and I have not gotten a response. With so many cruise lines out there I would avoid Carnival.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Yes. You read right. On Sept 10, 2018 - my husband and I (Miami residents) along with two friends that live in Key West decided to get together for a few days on the Victory. Our cabin was 9258 - It was our 6 years anniversary on the 10th (sailing date) and our friends that stayed in cabin 1106 wanted to surprise us by calling Carnival in advance and setting up the room with a bottle of wine, special beach towels, Carnival wine glasses and additional decorations to make our anniversary special.

When we arrived, we were in heaven, to say the least, and extremely happy, such a beautiful gesture from our friends and the cabin itself looked clean and decent enough for a couple of nights of cruising and relaxing. We dropped off our luggage and did what I'm assuming 99.9% of the passengers do when they first board the ship - explore the ship and have a couple of cocktails and people watch. Before you knew it, it was time to shower and get ready for dinner. We were at table #341 in the dining room with the late seating. After dinner, we took an additional stroll through the ship. Thinking… I'm not sure why everyone says such bad things about Carnival, especially the Victory. After all, we have traveled on the Breeze a few years back and had a great time.

By the time we got back to our cabin, it must have been around midnight. My husband (exhausted) claimed into bed and I stayed up till about 3 am working a few deadlines. After finishing up my client's work, I finally had a chance to climb into bed myself to get some shut-eye. The next morning, when we woke up, I can't even explain how disgusted we were when we pulled back the covers to find human feces on the linen. It wasn’t just a little either, it was a HUGE amount. The Victory’s staff took their own photos but I also took photos (just in case).

After calling our Stateroom Steward “BUDI” to show him what we found, he seemed shocked as well. he called his supervisor to inspect as well. Now, I'm a pretty easy going guy and so is my husband, but this woman (her name escapes me) was a REAL piece of work. She started to raise her voice at me at which I QUICKLY shut her down. Her customer service skills lacked on all levels. I can assure you of this because I was in the hospitality industry for MANY years in South Beach and there are things you should and should not do. I like to call it etiquette. Especially if the customer is right.

In any case, Budi’s supervisor, as useless as she was, called her supervisor: Goran **. Goran was EXTREMELY nice and super understanding and accommodating. He brought us down to the “Diamond Preferred” section of the customer service desk where we did not have to wait in line. Here we encountered another woman - I believe her name was Gionina ** - please note that I could be getting some of the names incorrect (spelling) as there were a lot of staff members involved at this point. This “Customer Service” woman at the counter thought that a bottle of wine and a steak would be an appropriate and good compensation for what happened. Mind you - there are only two stops on this cruise Key West and Cozumel and this happened on the second day (the Key West Day).

The ship only stays in Key West for about 4 hours total. About 2 and 1/2 hours of that port were a complete waste because of this entire fiasco and standing at Customer Service with no solution on how they were going to accommodate us by changing our room. No need to mention how that entire day was ruined. I did, however, ask the lady behind the desk if she was willing to sleep in human feces for a bottle of wine and a steak? Her answer, of course, was no, because… I mean... Who would right? We were finally moved to cabin number #9283 after spending about an hour (or less) in Key West. We inspected the cabin ourselves and it seemed fine and were looking forward to putting this behind us and to try and enjoy what's left of the cruise with our friends.

Next in line was Filip **. Let me start by saying that Filip was an absolute pleasure to deal with and he completely sympathized with the magnitude of the situation and understood why we were so upset. Unfortunately, I have a strong suspicion that he was being used as a middleman to deliver news and had little to no power to offer us what we truly deserved. A complete refund for that disaster cruise. But wait folks... It doesn't end there.

The following day, We woke up, my husband took a shower and used the bathroom facilities in the room. He flushed. Shortly after flushing, sewage water started to come up from both of the drains in the bathroom - the drain in the shower and the drain next to the toilet - leaving, again. the smell of feces with an added plus of sewage smell (I have pictures of this as well). They called maintenance and had it fixed. But of course, trying to put something like what happened on the first night behind us, only to have something similar happen the day after served as a reminder of something we were so desperately trying to forget. Not a very good way to start any cruise. Especially such a short one.

We were then offered a massage service, a flight back home (which meant leaving our friends behind), or a $250 refund for “our inconvenience" - but again… the question beckons: Would you sleep in human feces for any of these offerings? I still believe that NO ONE WOULD and I still don't think that the magnitude of the situation was being grasped by upper management (of which we NEVER even got to talk too). I don't even have to say at this point that all of this, of course, ruined our short cruise and our Anniversary. The ONLY reason we had a decent time, towards the end, was because our friends were there to take our minds off of the situation. But in the back of my head… All I could think of was... What's next? Not a very relaxing feeling which is what I'm assuming is what Carnival is supposed to be all about. No?

Do I recommend Carnival at all - ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Not on any ship. The way the situation was handled by corporate after all was said and done is as disgusting as those sheets. Their Vice President of Customer Care Vicky ** decided that we are not to get any compensation. This was information was passed onto me through another guest service agent named Gary ** who was sent to pass on the bad news. Some Customer Service huh? #ChooseFun? I don't think so. WARNING TO ANYONE THINKING ABOUT THIS COMPANY: Check your sheets!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Where do I start from the beginning!!! I was fifteen minutes late and explain to guest services I could not push my luggage up the boat because I have a broken back. They said I have to, they couldn't help me. Three days went by before we seen the steward. I upgraded to a balcony because everyone said it was something I had to experience. There was throw up in the balcony splattered.

My fiance keeps saying, "We're on vacation. Let's make the best of it." We go to the hot tub it's Luke warm. I called one of the workers to tell him. He said, "No you get out and come to me." I tell him and he said, "It's not my job." We went on a excursion came back to no shower head. I called the steward they said he was on break. An hour later I called guest services. Hour later they bring the shower head and said they forgot to bring it back. I called guest services they try to give me a 100 dollar onboard credit.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

If I had not cruised with Carnival before, then this trip would have been great. This was my 12th or 13th cruise with Carnival (I am a Platinum guest), my first time aboard the Conquest. The food in the dining room was fair to good. I was pleased that the portion sizes had been reduced because I believe that there was a lot of waste however, the quality should be the same or better. It seemed to me that you were being pushed to visit the specialty restaurants.

I was very disappointed that there was a charge for room service after 10pm. I am a guest with limited mobility and therefore I spend more time inside my cabin than most guests. I loved the fact that I could order room service and get a plate of fresh fruit and hot tea at no charge other than a tip for the server. Now I would have to spend $2.00 plus tip, for a carafe of hot water and a couple tea bags.

Everyone was absolutely great. I was however disappointed that our main server at table 431, the late dining, Antwon seemed to be very distracted and did not provide the attention and excellent care that I have been used to aboard Carnival. Also, Melvin, our cabin steward did not provide that personable and pleasant service that I was used to. These two individuals did their job but did not go the extra steps to get to know me.

No ice bucket in the cabin? What is that about? I ordered water and a bottle of liquor for the cabin. When I asked for ice Melvin brought me a white plastic tub with ice in it. It seems that one would know that we would like the drink to be chilled with ice. There was only one glass there as well. There were seemed to be an issue with dirty windows in my cabin and on the Lido deck.

The rest of the ship seemed to be clean and the staff was excellent! My glasses chose this time to lose a screw and Prince replaced it and fixed my glasses. Olena, in the dining room was fantastic and the servers on the Lido deck helping my son and me (riding our scooters around) get our food and take our trays to out tables, offering to get drinks, dessert, or whatever we needed was fantastic. That is what I'm used to from Carnival.

Please bring back the 24 hour free room service especially the items was offered before or at the very least, give me the drinks without charge. I really don't like the new nickel here and dollar there. I sell Carnival Cruises as everything is included except gambling and liquor. Now I can't say that. I didn't feel like I was a VIP on this trip. There were no tablecloths except for elegant nights. So why should I dress for the dining room if it doesn't dress for me.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My husband and I were on a cruise this past April. I fell and hit my head boarding a Carnival sponsored excursion. I had a large bump, a bad black eye and headache. I went to see the ship's Dr. when I returned to the ship. After visiting twice (I didn't even see the Dr. on the first visit and they made no record of the first visit!) the doctor's only recommendation was to "rub honey on." She didn't even touch the injury. Because there was no exam done onboard my doctor had to get a CT scan when I returned home. I'm still trying to get the paperwork from Carnival and the excursion company but just get the runaround. They have offered nothing to repay me for medical bills. In fact they really just want me to go away. The public needs to know that they may not be safe if they have a medical problem on a Carnival cruise!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Let's start off right. We boarded the ship after reading reviews on the boat and Carnival themselves. My husband, my buddy and his husband and I were all on board and wandering the ship. We noticed that the ship had some very much needed upgrades. So we were able to look past them at first. We had sat down in the main buffet and tried to have lunch. Little did we know that either the food that was suppose to be hot was cold or vice versa. We thought okay maybe they were just rushing to get the food out. Well we were wrong. We trashed our food and continue to walk about. When needing to use the bathroom multiple bathrooms were closed due to mechanical issues. I am sorry but for a boat that just left port should not have “mechanical issues” within an hour.

So we carried on. When dinner came we went to the main dining room. Where we were treated by staff that just didn’t care. We sat at our table for over 30 minutes before we got our drinks. Another 20 minutes for him to come back with them. Then an additional hour to get our food. Which by the way half of it was missing. When trying to bite into a piece of chicken it was cold A caesar salad was warm. This is unsafe and can cause a lot of illnesses, which a lot of your boats have had in the past. When it came to dessert we were to the point that we just got up and walked out. When we were advised that the boat was only suppose to have 2100 people on board and for some reason we had closer to 2900 it was a little upsetting. Trying to get food, drinks, or anything on board was horrendous. We constantly had people bumping into us.

Multiple times did we go to dinner in the main dining room and from start to finish we were there for almost 2 hours. I understand that they have a cruise ship to feed, but I don’t think there would be this many issues if there was 2100 people on board not closer to 3000. If food was suppose to come out hot it either came out cold or lukewarm. We never had a hot meal, until we went to the steak place. If food was suppose to be cold, it came out warm. The amount of people who could have gotten sick on this boat is incredible.

We went downstairs to try and get coffee, where we were treated by the nastiest employee I ever saw on that boat. When I placed my order for an iced mocha latte I saw her putting it in a foam cup. So I asked her if I mentioned it to be iced, she looked me dead in the eyes and said “well if you just wait till I am done you’ll see what I am doing”. I'm sorry but I do not know who she thought she was talking to. I about my lost my being treated that way on this cruise.

We went downstairs to complain about the service, employees, food, and overcrowding. Then we mentioned the great cruise guarantee that is listed on your website "If you’re not happy with any 3–14 day Carnival Cruise Line vacation you take to The Bahamas, the Caribbean, the Mexican Riviera, Bermuda, Canada/New England or Alaska, just let us know within 24 hours of leaving the port of embarkation. If we get something wrong, we’ll refund 100% of your fare with no hassles and our Guest Services team will get you back to your home or port of embarkation free of charge.” We were told there is nothing they could do. Well last time I checked your guarantee states this. I was told again and again and again that there was nothing that can be done.

This wasn’t the only time things have happened. Multiple nights were bathrooms out of order. Multiple times were employees rude as anything to us. I work in retail where customer service is everything. And I will tell you there was no customer service or anything on this boat. Back to the coffee lady we saw her multiple times, and each day the attitude got worse. I do not know how these people think they are going to make money when they are this rude to customers.

We were getting off the ship one day and they told us we wouldn’t have water for 2 hours. Okay not a problem. It should be back on an hour before we got back on board, we can all take showers and go on about our days. Nope. It was down for a total of 6 hours. When we went downstairs we were told it's still off and we will be notified once it comes back on. Told “you’ll just have to sit and wait.”

This is the sole reason why both couples have reached out to our banks to dispute these charges. When the bank reached out to you guys you told them to have us contact you. I am hoping that this email will suffice for both couples, since this cruise was booked together and we traveled every step of the way together. My resolution for this email is that we get our full refund as promised in the “Great Cruise Guarantee” despite the rudeness from the guest services team that we talked to multiple times. I do not think it's right to have a guarantee and not uphold it.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

They have been awful. Never again! Last year’s hurricane Irma they kept $250 of our money and made us rebook to this year. Now my son faces jail time and they don’t care. Won’t rebook or give us credit. Never again! This VFIP will never set foot on another Carnival ship!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We went again on our yearly cruise as we do every year since 2012. My husband, daughter and myself. This particular cruise was on the magic from August 11, 2018. Belize was one of our stops, and we were excited to go there, because it was our first time. We stopped at a store, where this person named Darci works. we were all looking around to buy some stuff as we always do. My husband had on is cowboy hat which was hanging from the back of his neck, not knowing that his hat would hit something and let it break. She went over to a guy and told him he broke a figurine, but he was the one over there at the time, and my husband had already walked away. The guy gave her the $2, but she still went back to the cameras to check. She started blaming my husband, and told him he needed to pay for it, even though the guy already gave her the money. We walked out the store, she went and got the island police, and securities.

We were followed all the way until we got to the entrance to get on the ship. We were not allowed to call the Belize port number they gave, just in case you need help, and the representative for carnival did nothing in trying to help us. We tried calling for help, but they tried to take our phones. They blocked us from leaving saying that we need to pay $2 as well for the figurine. It was so embarrassing up to the this very day. It felt like we stole something. I would never go back to these Caribbean islands, or if I do! Belize will never ever be a part of it, and Carnival will never ever again be my ship of choice. I just felt like there should be more to protect us when we go out to land. It was a very terrifying experience all for $2.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Selected this cruise because of a group of family and friends were going; 18 people in total. I had been on the Carnival Pride in Jan 2017 and was not impressed but since so many people were going I decided to give it another try. I also cruised in Jan 2018 on the NCL Epic and my experience was the complete opposite of my Carnival experience; I loved it!

The thing I noticed immediately upon boarding is how dated and tired the ship looked. It was supposed to have had a multi-million dollar refit a few months before but I did not see where they spent anywhere near that amount of money. Things noticed: Carpet on interior stairs with the treads exposed that tripped many people on the stairs. Metal ceiling in dining areas dented and dirty; many full of dirt and dust. Stains on carpet in main walkways. Incorrectly functioning elevators that would not move half the time you got on them. Woodwork and railings that were gashed and gouged and instead of being repaired or replaced; were just given a fresh coat of thick paint that looked bad.

Things I enjoyed: The crowd and energy was amazing and the crew did a good job at getting them involved. The entertainment was terrific; especially this guitar player Dariel that performed. He was excellent and my favorite part of the cruise. The embarkation with the "Fast to the Fun" package was the fasted I have experienced. Most bartenders were great; some average; one was downright rude.

Some of the larger disappointments were: Immediately upon boarding I noticed my oceanview cabin was very hot. I turned the ceiling control on the vent to max cold. Several hours later it still had not cooled off and was very hot and stuffy. Our cabin steward (who was great) even commented on how hot it was and to go talk to guest services. I had to leave the door to the cabin open to get some cool air from the hallway. I went to check out the cabins of several others in my party and all of their cabins were much cooler; as well as the hallway.

After several hours of this I went to guest services to explain the situation. I was told the ship had just gotten underway and the air conditioning had just been turned on and it would take a few hours to cool down the cabin. I asked why the hallway and other cabins were so cool if that was the case and was told they could not answer that and to wait and few hours; check it again and come back if there was an issue still. Several hours later after dinner and the cabin was still as hot as it was upon boarding. I called guest services on the phone and informed them and asked them to come fix it while I was out for the evening. I come back to the cabin a couple of hours later to find the air still not fixed and a small circular fan sitting on the counter plugged in and running; aimed at the bed.

All the fan was doing was blowing the hot air around. At this point I was really upset and went down to guest services to have them send a tech to fix the air. They sent someone while I was in the room that offered to take the vent cap and adjustment off altogether to try to increase flow to the cabin. I accepted and said would try it for the night. With the vent cap off and the fan running it was still too warm to sleep and ended up sweating all night. The next morning I complained to guest services again.

I get a letter under my door that stated they tried to contact me about the cooling issue and had been unable to get a hold of me and asked me to come to guest services. I did again and stated it was still hot. Again there was no resolution. That night in the middle of the night the air broke all together. It was sweltering as there was no air flow at all. I again went down to guest services and complained. I was then told there was an outage that affected my cabin and they were making emergency repairs and it should be fixed in an hour. I said it had been an issue since I got on board. They said they would "do something" to make it up to me and to come back later.

At no point did they offer to switch me to a different cabin. Later in the day I had a letter under the door asking me to again come to guest services. They offered me a dining room "steak selection upgrade" and a bottle of wine for the trouble. I stated the air still wasn't fixed and was told that is what they could do. I ended up giving the wine away since I don't drink it and the steak wasn't that great. I ended up not sleeping most of the cruise due to the cabin being so hot. Very poor customer service experience.

The disembarkation process was terrible. I had purchased the "Faster to the Fun" package which entitles you to priority embarkation, tenders, customer service, and disembarkation. Since I had that package I had a letter under my door with instructions on what to do if you were taking your luggage off of the ship yourself. It stated to take your luggage to deck 9 lounge at the very back of the ship and wait for the ship to be cleared. My friend and I lugged 5 bags up 2 decks and all the way across the ship to the lounge. We were there 10 min when we were told to collect our bags and follow the staff. In this long line, we had to carry the 5 bags down 4 flights of stairs (no elevators) and all the way back across the ship. We actually passed our cabin on the trek back to disembark. So much for Priority service. That alone was enough to say "never again" to Carnival.

The food was average. The breakfast and lunch offerings were not impressive and there were not enough buffet lines to handle the crowd. Long wait times were common for food. There were staff portioning out the bacon and ham so if you wanted more than two slices; you would have to wait in the line again. The dinners in the dining room were good except for the BBQ Ribs that were terrible and I got a very under-cooked fillet.

The ship has one small swimming pool for almost two-thousand people. It was hot out and there was just no room in the pool which was wall-to-wall people. After a sub-par experience on the Carnival Pride and an even worse one on the Paradise; I will be sticking with NCL from now on for the simple fact that Carnival does not know what customer service is. My opinion is to pay a bit more and have a much better experience on another line.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Just came back from an eight day cruise on the Carnival Horizon and I must say I am very disappointed. This was my first cruise experience and I am left with a lot of dissatisfaction. First and foremost, my main reason for booking this particular cruise was that one of the ports was San Juan Puerto Rico where I have many family members, including my mother, that I had arranged to visit and spend the day with and introduce my fiancé to. Our destinations were Grand Turks, San Juan and Amber Cove (which this part of the island is owned by Carnival). We were told that in order to get ahead of Hurricane Florence that was in the Atlantic, we would have to skip San Juan and go straight to Amber Cove.

Now, I am all for safety but what I don’t understand is why we had to skip San Juan... the reason being that Carnival made more money by docking at THEIR island than they would have docking in San Juan. When I brought this to their attention, I was told that wasn’t true and that it was decided because of the storm. I wish I could believe that but it is an insult to my intelligence that they would think I wasn’t smart enough to know their reasoning. Complaint number two is that my fiancé ordered the Premium WiFi package and her service was anything but Premium. She kept getting kicked out and would have to constantly hit her WiFi.

Didn’t get messages from people on the ship, couldn’t call home when needed. She ended up downloading Google Duo and had no problem at that point. Lastly was that the crew felt that it was ok to walk into our cabin without knocking. Once to give us flyers and pamphlets and another time to drop off the liquor we purchased. We were taking a nap and there was no liquor, we wake up and there are our two boxes. Kind of creepy and an invasion of privacy. When this was brought to their attention, they said they will just write it down so it doesn’t happen again... so very sad. I will not be cruising Carnival any time in the near future.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My family just returned from an 8-day cruise on the Carnival Vista. After a family cruise last year on the Carnival Breeze, we were super excited to cruise again, so we booked our next expedition right away. We sailed out of Miami, FL on Sept 8 and returned yesterday, Sept 16. I have no idea what changed in a year's time but the service we received aboard the Carnival Vista was drastically different than that received on the Carnival Breeze. To start, the food on the Vista was lackluster. The sausage served at breakfast taste of dish soap, the bacon is soaked in grease, and everything else lacks seasoning. For breakfast, I tried eating at the buffet on the Lido deck, I tried the Horizons restaurant, to no avail. At home, I usually eat egg whites that consist of all veggies and a handful of diced ham for flavoring. I even requested this on the cruise ship but it still did not have a taste. As far as food is concerned, I settled on hot dogs and pizza after the third day.

Another thing that was disappointing was most of the events started earlier than what was indicated by the Carnival hub app, and if you arrive even a minute late, the hosts will not allow you the chance to participate. In one case, my husband screenshot the time to prove the event started early but the host continued to stick to her story that she did not start early. It was frustrating.

We were in a party of almost 30 people and we met and talked to many more people on the cruise. There seemed to be a consensus that the Carnival Vista was disappointing - especially since this boat was just introduced a little over 2 years ago. The carpet around the ship was already destroyed, the staterooms were hot and we would hear constant banging all night. We literally had to pull all the covers off the bed because it was so hot. The maintenance guy kept saying the temperature in the room was in compliance with their rules; regardless of our discomfort.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Carnival mislead consumers to think we had 2 days in Cuba. However, since the boat left at 3 am, they counted the next day. Not only did we have to buy a $75 Cuba Visa pp but we had to purchase mandatory excursions of their choice. And then the Cubans were rude. The old fashion car tour only had 1 person who could speak English and no one explained what we were seeing. Also when people tried to use the restroom, they yelled at us and said there was no time and that they would leave us. Besides that, there was tons of trash in the water near the pier and nothing in the country has been updated. Looking from the boat it looks like a scene from 1918. I won't be back again.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

You're not allowed to smoke on your balcony, for obvious reasons, and yet if your neighbors do it, despite complaining multiple times, they'll never be told to stop. As someone who gets migraines from cigarette smoke, I was unable to go on my balcony the entire trip as these people smoked every 30 minutes the entire trip. Despite complaining during the trip to guest services multiple times, the cabin next to ours smoked all day every single day.

Called Carnival after the trip to request a refund for the difference between a balcony and an indoor cabin since I couldn't go on the balcony and they said "we don't give refunds for inconsiderate neighbors". So if you have neighbors that are breaking the rules, don't expect Carnival to do anything about it, and don't expect them to care, either.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Let me start by saying, the ports were the fun part of this trip... On the most I give my Carnival cruises a 6 or 7 except for Vista which I gave a 10... But this trip was EXTREMELY disappointing. Let's start with the food, the lido deck for was not good and very few choices to pick from, the breakfast was disgusting, after the first full day I would only eat breakfast in the dining room, I mostly ate guys, and in the specialty restaurants... Next who's idea was it for that smart elevator, for a ship that can hold almost 4000 people, that idea was far from SMART... I came back from my cruise 6 lbs down, cause I gave up waiting and just walked up and down the stairs...

Next if a ship that is out at sea for 4 days, I would think there would be lots to keep the passengers occupied, but there really wasn't... Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the crew, as a matter of fact the captain did a damn good job getting us around and through the 2 hurricanes in the ocean... I have a problem with corporate that authorized the changes to the ship... This ship was so cramped the only room you really had was in your cabin... And last but not least, disembarking... OMG... 14 levels coming down to one level and ended up in on line near the SMART elevator, which means everytime someone got off the jumped in front of someone who was already standing on line for at least 30 min...

We docked at 5:30 am after security we were allowed to disembark at around 7:20 am, I was on the 11th level, so my number was called quickly, but with the problem on the plank level made it impossible... I finally got out and on the street at 9:20 am, now maybe I'm spoiled, but it took Vista 20 mins to get us off the ship... My bottle of wine that I ordered before getting on the ship didn't arrive in my room until the 3rd day...

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Our Alaska cruise on the legend was wonderful. The food was great and especially the service we received from our cabin Steward ** couldn’t have been any better. He was always there to take care of us anytime we needed him. And the servers Sonny, Casiano and Andhika, in the main dining room were excellent. They made you feel like you were family at a Sunday dinner. Made eating very enjoyable. Our photographer Vladan was terrific and fun to be around. Adam the cruise director did a awesome job with the entertainment. We didn’t find out until the end, that this was Adam’s first time as a cruise director and you couldn’t tell it. We really need to give recognition to all these wonderful people who made this week absolutely the best vacation on Carnival as of yet. Thanks everyone. ❤️

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

12 members of my family recently sailed on the Carnival Valor (2-6 August 2018) On 2 August, there was a table set up for people to complete a Carnival credit card application and get lanyards and bags for free. I (and many others in my party of 12) began to complete the application and I told the representative that we didn't want the card and asked if we could get a lanyard. I offered to give her $5 for a bag and a lanyard. She said, in order to get a free gift, you had to do the application but she said, "if you do not want it to be processed, then you do not use the correct information and it cannot process." I said, "You mean use random numbers for the SSN and DOB?" And she said "yes, just numbers and then sign".

She said, "It cannot process, but you get lanyard and bag." She said when they are processed and the name doesn't match the numbers like the SSN and DOB, then the application will not process and will be destroyed. I asked her if she was sure and again, she said yes. Several of the 12 people in my party and others standing around did as she suggested and she gave us the lanyards, Carnival bags, water bottles and we left. There were several other people standing around and she continued to suggest the same thing while my group was completing the application. It was never my intent to do anything fraudulent or to cause harm to anyone else. When she told me the application would not process but we could get the bag and lanyard, it seemed harmless and it made sense that it would not process if the name doesn't match the numbers.

On 7 August, My husband (Willie **) and I BOTH received a Carnival Credit Card issued by Barclay in the mail. On 10 August, I called the toll free number on the card and inquired on how I could have been approved for a the Carnival credit card. I explained what happened and the rep asked for the last four of my SSN and my DOB. To my surprise, the correct SSN, DOB and address are on file for the card that was sent to me but the incorrect SSN was on file for my husband. Additionally, there are excessive charges on the card that I did not make. In fact, I didn't make ANY of the charges. The card has not been activated.

Additionally, the charges are also on the credit card that I had on file for my sale and sign. I don't know how my personal information was obtained for this card, but however it was obtained, it was fraudulently done. I have canceled the card and reported it as FRAUD. I have contacted the rest of the people in my party and told them to contact the Barclay Card Fraud and Security department. My husband and I have both requested a copy of the applications used to process these cards. I can assure you that I put random numbers and did not put my correct Social Security Number on that application. I am also reporting this as fraud with the credit bureau(s).

Update: I have been in touch with Carnival representatives who have been in touch with Barclay. They told me the rep that was on the ship, denied telling people to put incorrect information. Although my husbands SSN was incorrect by each number being off by two numbers, SOMEONE at Barclay still approved and issued him a credit card. How did they know his credit score rated him getting a CREDIT card? He too has a credit card through Barclay. Did someone use the info that is on file for the card that he already has with Barclay? Barclay executive Devin stated that sometimes they use public records to complete the applications. That certainly doesn't seem right.

I did not put the correct information (SSN, DOB or address) on that application on the Carnival Cruise. I do however have another card issued by Barclay. Did someone look my information up based on a portion of the correct information that was on the application and match it to what's already on file? Barclay has stated that the applications were destroyed even though they told me that they would send me a copy in 7 to 10 days. When I called back, they told me they did not have copies because they destroy them after they put the information in the system. So in other words, anyone with anyone else personal information can fraudulently apply for a Barclay credit card in someone else's name and Barclay will not only approve it, but will also put charges on it before it is activated. This seems like a recipe for an identity fraud case.

I received a letter from Barclay stating that a thorough investigation had concluded that all charges were valid and the investigation is closed. SOMEONE at Barclay did something fraudulent for my husband and I to obtain credit cards. My children also completed applications but did not get credit cards. Why? Because their credit is not established... but my husband and I put incorrect information and had cards mailed to us and coincidentally, we have other cards with Barclay.

Why would the applications be destroyed? Anyone could have filled out this application using someone else's name and information. There were no forms of IDs requested or anything. I don't know how to prove that I did not write my correct information, but I did not. Carnival was told that everyone that was approved or disapproved got a letter on the cruise. Neither I or my husband received anything. I have talked to my other family members and none of them received any type of notification while on the cruise. Had we received anything while we were on the cruise, we would have addressed it while on the cruise. DO NOT SAIL ON CARNIVAL AND SO NOT USE BARCLAY CREDIT CARDS.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Just returned from a 7 day cruise out of Cape Canaveral. We sailed out of Florida. The third day of our cruise, mind you we were a family of 18, my eldest son 25 was attacked in the club. My son was at the club with my 47 year old sister and another passenger walked up on him, asked him if he was good, my son replied yea and this man elbowed him twice in the face. Security did not detain the man and I can only assume it was because he was not **. My son's drinking privileges were revoked along with his attacker. My family had to spend everyday seeing this violent man who hurt our loved one walk around and enjoy his cruise. My son did not defend himself because he was worried he would be thrown off the cruise and we were spreading my mother's ashes aboard the ship on Friday.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Just came back from a 4 day cruise on the Carnival Victory, Aug 27 thru Aug 31. This was far the worst cruise I've ever taken and Carnival would be on the bottom of my list to take another one. 1st lets start off with the customer service; it sucked, they never answered any telephones you would try calling and the phone would ring and then just go dead, so that mean you have to go and stand in that GOD awful long line just to get 1 or 2 questions answered. The information on events wasn't very clear or did they have enough entertainment for all ages, even on the carnival hub they never mentioned the caption's party, it just wasn't advertised, the only way I knew about it because I've cruised before.

Because I'm a business person and own a company I paid for the internet service package @ $10.00 per day and was never able to get online or even receive text while on the entire cruise, I couldn't even text other people that was on the cruise with me. The food was horrible, the dining room and buffet didn't have very good alternative selections. Never could order room service because they never would answer telephone. I have cruised with Carnival on two other occasions and the service was far better than my experience this time, my comparison to Royal Caribbean whom I have cruised on several other occasions top Carnival by 100%. Carnival just didn't do it for me at age 57. On the scale of 1 to 5 stars I would rate this cruise a 1. I feel I wasted my time and definitely my money, I picked this cruise because it was a bargain but I got what I paid for, a cheap low class cruise. BAD, BAD CRUISE, wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I ended up going on a cruise where my grandson got married. It was 4 hours late in getting into port. Then they had to clean the ship and rooms. Not good to be 4 hours late. We were all starving and I had never been on a Cruise so I didn't have a clue if you could get room service? I didn't know where anything was. I would never go again. Ever.

Carnival Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.

• Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.

• Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.

• Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.

• Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.

• Best for: The Carnival Cruise liner is best for budget-aware cruisers and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs