1.40/5
  • 1 star
Based on 147 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 14, 2017

1186 Carnival Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Tammy of Odenville, AL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I got sick due to their food and had to get off the boat, Liberty Cruise, before I could get off guest service had already given my room away. Didn't ask did I need medical attention or any kind of help, Staff is very rude, food tastes awful, drinking cups is old, eating area dirty, bathroom smell like urine. Do not waste your money or time. Carnival hate to give refunds and get very rude when you ask for a refund. We all need to do a class action lawsuit.

mary of Detroit, MI Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

We were book on the Conquest for 12/09/2017. However there was a problem with the flight. My sister in law called Carnival to report we were going to be a little late, Doris is the lady she spoke with and Doris said she would call back to get update, once we arrived we were about 20 in late, the boat was still roped sitting there. No one would come out until the boat started to move, I feel with all the calling and communication you would of given us those few moments. My family was already on the ship waiting for us to have fun for our 60th birthdays. I have been sailing with you guys for years! Things do happen that can’t be helped.

We even called to see if we could sail on another ship since all this was paid for!!! Talking about hurt was be a understatement and feel the boat could of waited on the 20 people that was on flight with us to just be turned away! Then again you make millions and maybe our funds was just a drop in the bucket. I would always talk about the wonderful times I had sailing with you guys. I have been on others but really like how you all made us feel, but maybe I was wrong!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Amanda of Beebe, AR Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We were suppose to arrive 12/4/2017 @ 12:30pm. Was delayed for technical reasons. Got there @4:30 pm. Stood in line until almost 8pm. Then was boarded and sent to deck 5 for a 5 min safety meeting which was over a hour. Was tired of standing. Sat on the floor and then was put in what felt like a timeout chair in front of everyone. Finally got to our room and it was nasty. Motel 6 is better. Blood on the bed and crap all over the walls. I told our steward I hated it here and was having a horrible experience. I wanted to go home. I was crying. He said he would clean the room and I should go to customer service tomorrow. (He did clean my room the next day but left the bloody stained blanket)

I was suppose to have Kosher meals. No one knew about this. By the next day I was starving. Finally went to customer service the next day where I was in tears. Told them everything and how I wanted to go home. They tried to get me to stop crying but I just couldn't. I was never given the option to go home but instead I felt like I had to deal with it. They had the chef come and meet me who apologized and promised me food in 45 minutes. 1.5 hours later I got food which was a t.v. dinner which smelled heavily of chemicals. I couldn't bring myself to eat it.

Finally I decided I would eat non-Kosher but stay away from pork and seafood. All day and early morning we heard saws and pounding from our room. Last day was awful where we were in a storm and I was awfully sick from it. We paid for a 5 day trip and got 4 days. I called customer service the moment I got off board and was told the 110 percent guarantee is not a guarantee unless you say something within 24 hours which I did. All in tears both times and was never offered to get off the boat or arrangements to be made for me to go home. I was pretty much told to suck it up nicely. The only time we had fun was on excursions which had nothing to do with carnival. Their guarantee was not upheld and I am so unhappy about the whole ordeal. Awful.

Kathy of Ontario, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I have done cruising with Carnival many times. And for the most part, it has been a positive experience. On the 8 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. I picked a suite this time, and though the room was great, I had a king, and one mattress was about an inch higher than the other mattress. On the Lido deck, they didn't wash the tables down, lucky with a quick swipe somewhere on the table. In Grand Turk, the flies were very happy with this deck. The worst part, was that I pre-purchased my transportation from the port to the airport (Miami). I paid $30 for this luxury. I never received a ticket, and on the last full-day on the ship I went to the Excursion desk. They pretty much blew me off. Told me that if I didn't get a ticket, don't worry about it, just tell them when I get on the shuttle.

During Disembarking, I again asked one of the employees where do I go, because I have never used this before. Told me to go outside to the left. That was it! So, I go outside, turned left, asked one of the people out there, and told her that I prepaid my trip. To be fair it was chaotic outside. I finally get the shuttle. When I get to the airport, I was prepared to give a $20 tip. I was then told no, it was $25 for the trip plus tip. I called Carnival, for an hour and a half. I was passed around from one person to another. One told me that instead of a refund, that I will get an onboard credit for future cruising. So much for the 110% refund for finding an excursion cheaper than they offer. Carnival, you let me down this time!

Shirlee of Columbiana, OH Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Haven't even taken my cruise yet. It's not until Dec 17th. And pissed at Carnival already. I went to buy my beverage package and just because my fiance wants the booze package they said I have to buy it too. I don't even drink!!! So now I have to pay an extra 170 for nothing which is **. Went on Royal Caribbean last year and I could just buy the pop package for myself. I will not go on Carnival again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Deborah of Spring Hope, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Carnival Conquest - My husband and I are both in our late 50's and decided to take a cruise for our honeymoon, since this had been a lifetime dream we had never been able to fulfill. This was the honeymoon from Hades. The port that we had most looked forward to was cancelled and we spent an extra day at sea, instead of routing us to another destination.

The food was absolutely horrible! We are both from the south and can eat about anything, but we lived off of french fries, fruit, eggs and bacon. The dining room was nice; however, for the best food, we would have had to pay an extra $20/person/night for steak and/or lobster. Sure, we could get as many steaks as we wanted, but they were flat steaks and tasted like leather. The buffets were not very appealing and most food had no taste whatsoever. If you could find something to eat, we were required to search in other parts of the ship to eat because most of the tables were dirty and no one seemed to take an interest in cleaning them. I am a big "sweets" person, and did not find anything during the 6 days that was satisfactory. Most desserts were made with some type of jello additive and had no taste whatsoever.

Our Nassau port was wonderful; however, we were able to sit on the free beach beside of Atlantis and almost reach out and touch the ones who paid approx. $150 to sit beside of us for an excursion. Upon arriving on the Conquest, we unpacked and went straight to the casino. Neither of us are gamblers, so this was a new experience for us. I immediately won $96.00 and decided to cash out. There was a lady behind me writing down the machine information and stated it should be reset as I won too easy. Throughout the cruise, we occasionally tried our luck again, but was not successful. We spent our $96 on sodas, as the free tea and lemonade were undrinkable.

Half Moon Cay was the most enjoyable day of the cruise. Absolutely beautiful beaches. Just not enough time. Dom Republic was a joke. We were herded off of the ship and an announcement was made to be advised that the crime level was on the rise, so take extra precautions. We were fenced in an area with a shopping center, where over half of the stores were closed/empty. So, we headed back to the ship. As a new cruiser, we took out the insurance, thinking we would be covered for any emergencies that might arise. The fourth night of our cruise, I became very sick and visited the medical dept only to be told they did not accept the insurance provided by Carnival and I would have to pay $125 just to see the doctor. This would not include prescriptions. Fortunately, Dom Republic sold antibiotics and painkillers over the counter.

We are both dancers, so we decided to go out for the night. The music was from the 50's and 60's, which is not what we expected. We also visited several of the shows and were very disappointed in the entertainment. Needless to say, our honeymoon was extremely disappointing. I don't think we'll ever try another cruise, especially with Carnival.

Stan of Tallahassee, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Complete chaos upon disembarkation. Families with crying babies in handmade stand in stairwells for hours. All elevators are shut off, employees threatening with security guards. Over an hour of absolutely no announcements as to what is happening, people shoving themselves back and forth like rats trying to flee a sinking ship. This is our 5th cruise and by FAR the most disappointing. Day one steam room not working, day two the sauna room joins the fun. The only positive surprise was a Mexican eatery, however they found how to screw it up as well as it would close at 3pm everyday and never reopen. No food other than burnt pizza between 3-6pm. When asked to make a certain type of pizza on their menu, the cook proceeded to go in the back, scrape all ingredients off an already cooked pizza and applied new ingredients, unbelievable.

One of the only two public hot tubs had hot water, about 15 children were in it at all times. We requested early dining as we have a young child, still given late dining at 8:15 and told that they overbooked the early dining by 400 people already. Rooms E100-200~ have a galley right over it, all night they were rolling carts full of dishes back and forth, no sleep as it felt like they were rolling them right inside our room due to lack of insulation. Shows were horrible, our local diner has a guitarist who has a better voice than all them combined. Comedy show was the same material both days it was open. Room attendant kept knocking in the afternoon when we took a nap! Could not take 5 steps without the 1,500 photographers employed by the ship asking to take a picture.

We paid for the window room, great, it had a window... however it was dirty to a point of losing the reason to have a window. The wifi that we paid $50 for 4 days was like going back to the old 90s dialup age. Facebook app took several minutes to just load, forget about actually browsing. Overall, it’s time to retire this ship and carnival in general, they lost touch with reality and a requirement of customer service.

J of Washington Dc, DC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

We took a 5-day cruise from New Orleans that stopped in Cozumel and Progresso. It was one of the worst experiences I've had for so many reasons. The food is disgusting - not bad, not so-so. Disgusting. (I lost weight on the cruise). "Room service" is a joke b/c when you call no one ever answers. The dining rooms are ridiculous - you have to sit with a large table of strangers for the WHOLE cruise if you want to eat in the dining room instead of the buffet. It's awkward, and if you want to have a romantic dinner b/c it's, say, your birthday, you are out of luck. Even if they have open tables for 2, you can't have one. The food in the "restaurant" is the same as the buffet, anyway, so there's no difference, really. They charge for absolutely everything.

If you don't want the disgusting instant coffee or whatever they are serving 24/7 in their coffee urns, you have to buy coffee at the Vienna Cafe on the ship. You have to buy water, anything to drink aside from lemonade or iced tea. The casino is a joke and a smoky nuisance every time you have to walk through it to get a good coffee for $5 at the cafe. The rooms are FREEZING cold and we had to complain so many times to get them to turn down the a/c. We both got the flu from the ship -- friends of ours when on a cruise in the exact same ship that left the day we got back and all 5 of them got the flu, too. So, the ships are carrying lots of germs. If you need to buy medicine they gouge you.

The stops in the Caribbean are a joke -- there's absolutely nothing to do or see - other than really crappy tourist shops - in the ports of call. You have to buy the extremely overpriced "excursions" to see anything. We did purchase 1 excursion in Progresso to see Chichen Itza, but we're 5 minutes late getting to the bus (b/c we had the flu) and it had left without us. Even though they knew we had tickets b/c we had prepurchased them. It was so awful I needed a vacation from my vacation. NEVER AGAIN. I want my money back, unfortunately, I'm sure that will never happen.

Shannon of Milton, KY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

We are just getting back from a 10 day cruise on the Carnival Ecstasy that when we scheduled and paid was originally supposed to go to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan PR, Amber Cove Dominican Republic and Tortola British Islands. This was supposed to be our trip of a lifetime celebrating our 30th Anniversary and my parents’ 50th Anniversary. Before we even left, Carnival changed the ports to Aruba, Princess Cays, which they own, Bonaire, a terrible port, and Grand Turk. They wanted 1500 per person additional to change our cruise date after the itinerary change which we had already paid 1300 a person for 6 people. While on the cruise they decided not to go to Grand Turk but would leave Casino open. Keep in mind we could see other ships docked there. So now we are down to 3 ports instead of the 5 we paid for and only 1 compatible port to what we paid for when we booked.

The only credit we received was 38 dollars for 2 ports. The food was terrible. The menu was basically the same all 10 days. This was also very disappointing. The food was not good either. Lots of leftovers, dry and overcooked! Below our window was some type of noise... we couldn't sleep. It was much worse at night. I think they were discharging sewage into the ocean. If this was not bad enough the majority of the crew was rude and unhelpful!! The casino had about a 3 percent payback and the quarter game was rigged to where you could not get bonus for 100 dollars because the s was missing! So bored with 7 days on the boat! No activities that didn't cost or they were trying to get money from you. Couldn't even get a complimentary deck of cards!

Then my husband fell down a half flight of stairs coming from deck 11 to 10 early in morning due to stairs being wet. His back was bruised all up. We went to guest services to file an accident report. We were told in order to file a report. We had to pay 125 dollars to see their doctor. Otherwise no incident report could be made out. I also witnessed a family with a small child whose hand got stuck in elevator doors the same thing except it was added that the ship's doctor was in a meeting and could not be disturbed for several hours as the child cried in pain. So very disappointed in Carnival Cruise line and their policies!!! Also in the area of the boat we were in the first 4 to 5 days only 1 of 4 elevators worked and my brother's room the television didn't work for first 4 days and no one would fix it! None of my family will ever travel with them again. We do not feel safe! Worst vacation ever!

Erica of Los Angeles, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I went on this cruise for the first time. It was my birthday. It started off bad soon as I boarded. I notice they didn't cancel my massage. I called and spoke with customer service. He told me everything was fine. He would email his manager to let her know as well. The massage was cancel. They charge me $183 to my card. I took my card off file and my friend put her card on file so she could buy some motion pills. They charged her card the $183. So at the point both of our cards was both charge at this point. I went to the manager and ask her to cancel this. I already spoke to customer service days before I boarded this cruise. She was trying to make me doing anything not to give me my money back. She ask me to get a facial. My teeth whitening. All I wanted was my $183. Something I cancel before I boarded. What kind of company just keeps someone money like this.

Jeneen of Chicago, IL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

The cruise was canceled. I have paid full price of 1,700. The amount was told it will not refund or it will not change to another cruise. I was issued a 89.00 refund not 1,700 in Aug from a credit from the bank that 1,500 is accredit from the hotel. Now it is Nov. No 1,700 from you carnival cruise, you will refund the 1,700 or you will change to another crusie. You will have to notify the Chase Bank as to where I have paid you in July the 1,700 for the imagination that I will not pay you 1,500 for a claim denial. You have kept the money, if the call is not to rectify the account of the 1,500 to the Chase Bank overdrawing the account. I will now call police. My account will not overdraw in Sept.

A manager refunded 89.00 in Oct, nothing further Carnival please call Chase. Mr. Renzo **. Consumer banking, when she checked her account for customer credit for the canceled cruise, your refund of 1,500 or 1,700 not there in Sept, in now Nov. She may not owe you 1,500 for any imagination or new cruise. The error is overdrawing her account you refunded in Oct 89.00 not 1,500. Her balance will prove that my number is to rectify your error is 1-800 935-9935 the customer miss Jeneen **. Booking number ** her email ** mine at Chase. **. Nov 2017.

There obviously is a problem with the cruise and my money not your the 1,500 is monitored. You would not refund it so contact them now in Nov from a problem and I will get my refund if 1,500 or choose another cruise. I would not like to cruise so hopefully the customer credit. Your company sit from a Carnival representative Shawn. Jeneen ** imagination Sept 17 now Nov 10 2017. Please contact Chase with the correction.

Mitchell of Va Beach, VA Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Where to start, took a 5 day cruise. Left Charleston SC Tue 24 and 2 port calls (Freeport/Princess Cays). Freeport was so dirty and nothing at all there and the locals were cheating and ripping everyone off, telling us their kids were starving, they have not ate in days etc. Pull you in their store very aggressive. NO FUN being hounded at every turn, I would of never ever paid to go somewhere so bad. The taxis, Oh my god jamming 13 - 14 people in a 1960 van falling apart rust buckets. One lady cut her toe on rusted out floor boards. Tags and stickers expired. No one checking to make sure tourist are being treated fairly. The so called beach pulled up and nothing but mud holes... None of the crew could speak or understand English. Even tried to complain to supervisors they can't speak or understand English.

Princess Cays Carnival's own private island. Me and my wife took 800.00 debit cards/credit cards, but guess what - you can only use your sail card, ok that would have been nice to know ahead of time. Because I could not even buy a bottle of cold water because the Carnival Acct decided to remove all our money from our account for tips, sodas, etc. The same time we were on the island... even though our account was cash to be paid at the end of cruise, they remove money from your account without even notifying you. So the bartender said I had to go all the way back to the boat to get straight. Tried to talk to supervisor NO HELP. Damage done.

Both our port days were ruined by untrained non speaking English help, they double charged almost everything we bought. It was complete mess... Waste of money. They are so big NO MORE customer service at all, told my room porter, told guest services NOTHING. Worst vacation I ever had and it was my first cruise. I can only speak on Carnival, if you have money to throw away, no problem but I am have a manual labor job worked hard all year and took me a year to save up for this cruise. Was so excited, was so disappointed. Could not wait to get off that ship R44 Deck Riveria. Also no one told us we could eat in restaurants free (we were told you had to pay at first by one of the crew), but come to find out they are assigned. That would of been nice to know. We did not find out it was included until the last day and went and had steak lobster. One time...

Tesla of Birmingham, AL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

So I went on this trip. It started out ok but ended crazy. Plugs in room wasn't working. Bed had makeup on it before we even laid down. Food ice cold. Nothing but the omelette was hot. Coffee was cool. Must I can go on so ready to go home. Some parts was ok but these were the ones that touch me. Bad bathroom was half clean then we are tipping cash and they get a auto gratuity then I get a bill saying I owe. Yes they removed it but I shouldn't have to do that and guest services you would think they where computers or a robot. They cut you off while trying to explain what's going on. The answer is a automatically No. Then it sounded like we hit something then. In the middle of night we heard noise that sound like a washing machine.

Damaris of San Antonio, TX Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

As a concerned parent I decided to write this review. I recently went on a 5 day cruise and was horrified at the poor care and service the day care has on these ships. I took my 3 yr old and enrolled her at the daycare. I received a cell phone which I was told would be used if my child was upset and they needed to contact me. I took off and not 5 minutes went by when my child was out alone roaming the boat! My son, who was outside playing ping-pong, saw her through the glass doors as he had heard her crying. I immediately ran inside looking for her but I couldn’t see her, I could hear her crying but couldn’t locate her. I ran into the daycare and asked for her, hoping one of the attendants had her, but no, they had no clue my daughter was not there!

I ran back out and I found her holding hands with a complete stranger that was walking my daughter back to the daycare. My heart just stopped when I held my baby! I could not believe she had gotten out! How?! I kept asking the crew, how did she get out if there is only 1 entry and same exit, how?! No one answered. There were 3 ladies caring for these kids and no one saw my child leave. What upset me the most was that no one apologized once! There was no concern at all that my child was out alone while under their care. They were speechless!

I returned the phone they had provided and said I would not be using their services. The lady just replied, "OK, I will sign you out & return the phone." I could not believe it! No empathy no concern, nothing! I am still in shock! How could they be so careless! Just days before it was in the news and all over social media that an 8 yr old child had fallen off the rails and sadly lost her life and it is still unknown what happened, how did she fall, who was caring for her, etc. This needs to be heard and investigated! As a concerned parent I seek for answers.

Marie of State Road, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I was disappointed that there was not a separated smoking section. I had to walk through a lot of smoke. The candy store was right off of where everyone was smoking. Really? Who wants to take their kids through smoke into a candy store? A lot of the trivia games were right there in the smoking areas which I did not appreciate. Carnival, why don't you have an area for smokers only? This really turned me off. Also, I was at a bar one night and a young couple was so drunk they could barely function. Camp Carnival released their son. I was really worried for the child. The positive is the beds were comfy, staff courteous, kind and hard working. Overall I did enjoy the trip, but too many areas with smoking, I probably would not travel on Carnival Ecstasy again for that reason.

Delores of Poway, CA Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Carnival Conquest Ship - This was my first cruise and this trip was an awful experience... First their comedian made jokes about our president and began embarrassing me when I said fake news out loud. I go on vacation to escape idiots like him, there's no place for political jokes onboard... Also they put charges on my credit card that I DID not approve. The best part were the people that work there, front desk and servers... Bartenders were rude.

Luz of Palm Bay, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

We had to cancel our cruise that is supposed to leave December 8, 2017 because we lost our house as a result of Hurricane Maria, and we need that Carnival Cruise refund our deposit. We need to build the house again. We hope somebody help us with this situation. Right now we need the money.

Catherine of Hastings, MN Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I have a VIP number through carnival. I tried booking twice with the rate offered. They put me on hold for approximately 58 minutes. I was told a supervisor would be getting back to me within 24-48 hours. 5 days later they still have yet to return my call. I called again. And was told it's not offered to us. I explained that it was offered twice within 6 minutes that I have pictures. They still refuse to honor it. If you want to try to get this deal contact **.

Laura of Salineville, OH Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Cruise scheduled a year ago was cancelled, do Carnival could make more money renting their ship to FEMA. When rebooked for two weeks later when ship was back in operation Carnival raised their prices. They would not honor the price we had originally booked for. Although they caused us to lose money on plane tickets etc. They wanted more for the same cruise and would not work with us. We were told if we want to cruise we will have to pay the new rate. This is no way to treat customers.

Kendra of Findlay, OH Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My fiance and I were to get married on Carnival in Cozumel, Mexico. The cruise was to continue to Cuba. We found out my fiance was unable to get a passport. I contacted Carnival and they stated that was ok. Well, after spending well over $7,000, we got to the cruise ship to find out we couldn't get on the cruise and we were sent back to the airport. We had to rent a car to go home (which we lost all the airfare we had already booked). We rented a car and came straight home. The rental car was damaged by a semi losing a tire in front of us. I just can't believe Carnival wouldn't give back one dime! They made the mistake and explained it was my fault for not asking the right questions. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? How would I know that the wedding division wouldn't look at my entire cruise and realize there was a problem? I can't believe they couldn't even apologize. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

Susan of Kallangur, Other Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Carnival Cruise line have really let me down. We flew from Australia to do a family vacation for my Mother's 70th Birthday and my Sister's 40th Birthday. Flights from LA to Miami were not flying due to Hurricane Irma. We were told our cruise would go out on the Tuesday rather than the Saturday, which did not matter as we could not get there as no Airlines were flying in. We had two cabins booked. We were advised they would provide a full credit for the cruise to be used within 18 months.

I just want to re-book the cruise but just for my Mum and myself as my sister cannot come next time. It's an expensive flight from Australia and she isn't in the position to go again. I was told they would only allow my Mum's credit and my credit to be used and would not let us use the portion of the credit that belonged to my Sister as she wasn't coming. So we are out of pocket close to $800US which is about $1000 Australian due to their credit policy which has changed since the initial conversation. Just really disappointed that they care so little about their clients.

Laura of Drexel, MO Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Western Caribbean Cruise - Sailed October 2 on Carnival Valor. Rough seas, so that was a bummer but hardly their fault. Food was good. Room was clean. Services were overall very good. Questions were promptly answered. Disputes were resolved quickly. The layout of this ship was a bit confusing compared to previous ship. Don't like the new app system. Entertainment was ok. But that's not why I cruise anyways. No problem finding peaceful places on deck to sit and watch the sea.

Dwayne of Lawrenceville, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We had a good time regardless of how bad Carnival Cruise Lines treated us. I understand they changed our original itinerary because Irma destroyed the ports. They did not offer us any refund or credit. The line to get on the boat was ridiculous and took close to two hours to board. I am not a new cruiser so I am familiar with how long this should take.

They had no Bud Light on the first day while leaving port. Then we travel to Princess Cay which is a cruise ship island. A far trip from Saint Marteen. They only had three ferries trying to get 3500 people to shore. It went so bad they gave us a free beer at dinner. Now we move to day three. The food was not good. The steak was good and one guy who worked on the ship named Jason were the only people from Carnival that were a bright spot.

The rest of the services were not good. One young lady serving at the main pool second floor acted like I committed a crime for asking for a beer. The visit to Jamaica and the Cayman Islands were good. They had to cancel taking us to Cozumel because of the weather. I understand that but I paid for a cruise in 4 ports and 3 days at sea. They refunded us 10 dollars for the port fees that are usually higher when they are charging them. I got 3 port and 4 days at sea. They ran out of all beer but Heineken on the last sea day. They did not even discount the Heineken. Carnival is ok if the trip runs smooth but if something does not well forget you.

Mandy of Lexington, KY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I booked a cruise on the Magic ship sailing out of Port Canaveral December 16, 2017 and didn’t pay my final amount until after Irma and Maria hit. I questioned the itinerary changing and I was told no, not a thing this time. However, Saturday night my sister (who isn’t even going on the cruise) received an email about a change in itinerary. It stated that instead of going to Dominican Republic, grand Turk, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas that we would be going to Dominican Republic, Grand Turk, Nassau Bahamas, and Freeport Bahamas.

My request when booking was that I didn’t stop at the Bahamas because I have been there twice and I really dislike it. I spent $4200 on this cruise. Everyone knows that a Bahamas cruise is not near as expensive as these other locations. I have reached out to Carnival and they said I could cancel but with them keeping $1,250 (which is stealing) for a penalty even though that isn’t what I booked. I also asked them to change my cruise and they also denied to do that as well. I also asked for a partial refund and they refused that also. I have sailed with Carnival 3 times in the past and this will be my 8th cruise total. I have never dealt with such a horrible situation in my life. Needless to say, do not EVER book with Carnival because they will put you on a crap cruise for big bucks!

Delmi of Palmdale,, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I booked a cruise for October 15, 2017, leaving San Juan. We are less than a week away and I still have no confirmation as to whether we are going or not. I was also told that if we go, the itinerary will change because some locations were damaged by hurricanes but they cannot tell me where we are going or where we will be departing from. Flights in and out of San Juan are very limited so I don't want to change or cancel my flight. They won't refund my money, or put me on another cruise even when I offered to pay price difference!! Incredibly, Carnival is still booking our cruise, not letting people know it may get cancelled or that itinerary has changed. Don't use Carnival!!! You will regret it!

Bridget of Palm Coast, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Due to the severe hurricane I live in Florida we cannot go on this cruise. We had no electric for 10 days and had lost everything. I've asked Carnival to give me my deposit back or else put the money towards a different cruise next year. I am shocked that they do not want to give us our money back. I've been on the calendar for years and years and I will never go on one of their ships again.

Patricia of Pinole, CA Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 3, 2017
I have been on this cruise many times before but never had bedding with major stains on it that looked like vomit. It was so gross! It looked like our sheets from person on previous cruise were not changed. The hallways smelled of vomit and the our hallway had someone throw up and it was not cleaned for over an hour.

Food used to be really good but now it is just ok. Pizza had a weird watery cheese and food lacked taste. Our waiter Dennis was good and made the cruise more tolerable. Activities during the day are not very good but nighttime are ok. It is a filthy ship with most staff that do not seem to care about their job. So glad to get back home!

Sherry of College Park, MD Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I'm 85 years old. My family took this cruise for family celebration. But everything turned to a nightmare for me. I aboard the ship on April 29. But On May 1st around 9:00 pm, while I was having my dinner at the Lido Marketplace, I slipped and fell on spaghetti tomato paste someone had poured on the floor a while ago. (No one clean it up for a quite while prior to my falling). I immediately passed out for several seconds and my left hip broken as the result of my fall. The cruise ship assigned me a case number of **. They wanted to close the case as soon as possible. Their lawyer had requested a detailed description of the incident. So I emailed a letter to the lawyer on July 20. Then followed up on Aug. 2 and Aug. 30 to check the status, but so far got no response, not a single word from the lawyer.

Dee of Mesa, AZ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

On the first night on the Carnival Glory, I flushed my toilet and the toilet began to pour water from in-between the wall and the tank. It took 15 mins. to get Customer Service to answer their phone as water was pouring out of the tank. By the time they answered the water was in the hallway. Massive amounts of water. Then when someone arrived he could not turn the water off and had to call someone else. They finally got the water stopped. This all took place at approximately 2:45am in the morning. It took until 4:45am to relocate me into another room. Staff didn't help move any of my belonging, just brought a food cart (which was dirty) for us to place things on, and left. No sleep was had while in the old room cause the door was propped open and fans and SteamVac were going. For this inconvenience, they offered us two beach towels on-board (which we didn't take).

Then called Corp. and they offered me onboard credit, and 15% on my next Cruise. Okay, maybe it's just me but this is not giving me ANYTHING!!! The only way I get compensated for my horrible experience on Carnival is if I spend more money with them on another cruise??? Glad to see they are think about the consumer. Seems like their policy is... I get from you and if I do something wrong, I get more from you!!! Carnival policy states (from a customer service rep. at corp.) we do not give back any money, period.

ALICE of Newark, NJ Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I recently returned from a cruise with Carnival aka "The Fun Ship" when the only thing fun was the Cruise Director MarQ. I brought my granddaughter as a gift for her birthday. I went to Guest Services to inquire about spending on the ship because I did not want her to incur charges that I had to pay for. I was advised that I could be a specific amount on her card and once that is used she would not be able to purchase anything else. I was awakened at 11:30 PM the night before we were scheduled to disembark and was told that she had gone to the spa and received treatment but did not have money on her card so I would have to pay for it.

I have emailed numerous times in regards to this issue and received no response. I have been left on hold for my whole lunch hour several days but never able to speak with anyone. It seems the only prompt they respond to is book a cruise. I finally spoke with someone and was told that because she was 21 years old and in the same cabin with me I am responsible. This makes absolutely no sense to me. They say one thing and do another.

Carnival Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.

• Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.

• Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.

• Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.

• Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.

• Best for: The Carnival Cruise liner is best for budget-aware cruisers and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs