3.54/5

1462 Carnival Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

The food in the dining room was excellent each night and the wait staff was excellent. Made dinner very enjoyable. The breakfast area in the morning was very crowded and breakfast was the same each morning. Nothing changed. The crew was great but me and my friends did pay extra for faster to the fun and we got to go into priority lines and the crew would treat us as if we were young and could not afford to pay to have that. That was definitely one thing that bother me about the crew on the Carnival Victory. Another thing that I found to be a little strange was that at some of the bars the crew members would be drinking and had a name tag still on. I thought that the shows at night and the comedian at night were excellent. I enjoyed going to them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

If I had not cruised with Carnival before, then this trip would have been great. This was my 12th or 13th cruise with Carnival (I am a Platinum guest), my first time aboard the Conquest. The food in the dining room was fair to good. I was pleased that the portion sizes had been reduced because I believe that there was a lot of waste however, the quality should be the same or better. It seemed to me that you were being pushed to visit the specialty restaurants.

I was very disappointed that there was a charge for room service after 10pm. I am a guest with limited mobility and therefore I spend more time inside my cabin than most guests. I loved the fact that I could order room service and get a plate of fresh fruit and hot tea at no charge other than a tip for the server. Now I would have to spend $2.00 plus tip, for a carafe of hot water and a couple tea bags.

Everyone was absolutely great. I was however disappointed that our main server at table 431, the late dining, Antwon seemed to be very distracted and did not provide the attention and excellent care that I have been used to aboard Carnival. Also, Melvin, our cabin steward did not provide that personable and pleasant service that I was used to. These two individuals did their job but did not go the extra steps to get to know me.

No ice bucket in the cabin? What is that about? I ordered water and a bottle of liquor for the cabin. When I asked for ice Melvin brought me a white plastic tub with ice in it. It seems that one would know that we would like the drink to be chilled with ice. There was only one glass there as well. There were seemed to be an issue with dirty windows in my cabin and on the Lido deck.

The rest of the ship seemed to be clean and the staff was excellent! My glasses chose this time to lose a screw and Prince replaced it and fixed my glasses. Olena, in the dining room was fantastic and the servers on the Lido deck helping my son and me (riding our scooters around) get our food and take our trays to out tables, offering to get drinks, dessert, or whatever we needed was fantastic. That is what I'm used to from Carnival.

Please bring back the 24 hour free room service especially the items was offered before or at the very least, give me the drinks without charge. I really don't like the new nickel here and dollar there. I sell Carnival Cruises as everything is included except gambling and liquor. Now I can't say that. I didn't feel like I was a VIP on this trip. There were no tablecloths except for elegant nights. So why should I dress for the dining room if it doesn't dress for me.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Our Alaska cruise on the legend was wonderful. The food was great and especially the service we received from our cabin Steward ** couldn’t have been any better. He was always there to take care of us anytime we needed him. And the servers Sonny, Casiano and Andhika, in the main dining room were excellent. They made you feel like you were family at a Sunday dinner. Made eating very enjoyable. Our photographer Vladan was terrific and fun to be around. Adam the cruise director did a awesome job with the entertainment. We didn’t find out until the end, that this was Adam’s first time as a cruise director and you couldn’t tell it. We really need to give recognition to all these wonderful people who made this week absolutely the best vacation on Carnival as of yet. Thanks everyone. ❤️

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Carnival is really good at what they do—create a party atmosphere. They do this at a reasonable rate, but drinks are really expensive. This is no different than other cruise lines—hook you with the lowest rates then hit you with $$ drinks. My wife and I drink very lightly so we don’t mind at all, kind of like letting the drinks pay for our cruise. The ships are showing their age but are kept immaculately cleaned, swept, painted and wiped down for fingerprints and smudges. The shows are very good, diverse and professionally choreographed. We hardly ever miss one of the main shows. The late night comedy clubs are lots of fun, too, and bring in some great entertainers. About the only downside is that the party atmosphere and cheap sailings bring out the loud and obnoxious element, and the drinks further fuel the trailer park feel. We just laugh and watch the morons. Overall, a great cruise at a great price, especially if you like to party like it’s 1999.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I'm a cruise-a-holic. I've done dozens of cruises on various lines over the years. Carnival has provided a consistently high level of service and customer satisfaction for me. I know they have a reputation as party ships, but I have always had a positive, relaxing experience. As a vegetarian, the food and choices have been fantastic. The cabin service is as good or better than any line I've ever sailed. Spas and entertainment are pretty much the same on every ship/cruise line, but the Carnival ships' spas tend to be larger and less crowded. I pick cruises based mostly on destinations and the convenience of my schedule these days, and I always go to Carnival's website first. Cruises in general are a great vacation value, but looking through my past sailings Carnival stands out as the best value at sea.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: June 18, 2019

I recently just got off of the 8 day Carnival Horizon cruise & let me say that it was very uncomfortable, disgusting, and unforgettable to me. I spent 8 days on this cruise and I couldn't even get new bed sheets spread out on my bed. I asked the housekeeper assigned to my room on the 3rd day after realizing it was still the same sheets if he could change them. He nodded, smiled, and said yes. I went to breakfast, came back and I realized it was the same sheets! I only noticed this because I wear makeup and I still saw the same makeup marks in the same exact spots as the last time.

On day 5 I decided I really can't take it in anymore; I called and asked around 7 pm if someone can come to my room and change my sheets - the person that picked up said "Ma'am, you want someone to come and change your bed sheets now?" - I said, Yes, but I figured with that tone it wasn't something that they do at that time. So I said, "can someone at least bring me some new sheets?" A gentleman came 45 mins later practically threw the sheets at me with a rude face and walked away.

I was shocked! A little later I proceeded to use the sheets I then opened them and there was a NASTY DISGUSTING looking wax substance with hairs stuck to it - (I HAVE A PICTURE) IT WAS GOD AWFUL. I was absolutely done after that, but then THERE is more. My sister asked them to change the sheets because my nephew peed the bed. We came back and all they did was spread the bed with the pee smelling sheets STILL ON! I went to get a cup of coffee on Day 7. It took 4 cups before I finally got to a cup that didn't have nasty leftover residue on it. (I HAVE A PICTURE) Needless to say I was completely unhappy with the housekeeping aspect of things...

Original review: June 17, 2019

When we were docked in Curacao on the Horizon we went to a session where a man recommended going to Milano jeweler and how great they were. I purchased a ring and got a discount for paying cash but threw the receipt away because it said if there was a problem you had to bring the ring back to the store! Since it wasn’t worth a round trip to Curacao I got scammed because 10 days later one of the 4 stones fell out. I feel that Carnival Cruise Lines is responsible because they spent an hour telling us to go there. I complained to Carnival and of course got nowhere. So don’t depend on Carnival to help in any way. They said they would look into it and that was 2 weeks ago and have not heard back. Guest services is useless on Carnival.

Original review: June 15, 2019

During the entire trip when you walked toward the aft the hallways on the 2nd level had a horrendous odor. In passing down these hallways everyone talked about the odor and how bad it smelled. Unfortunately, not only did the hallways reap of this odor but in my daughter’s cabin, this odor was magnified. It smelled like raw sewage. Even people of the first and third floor complained of the odor. I guess, instead of dumping their mess in the ocean, they are holding it on board and dumping it in the quests rooms.

But what makes this situation worse it the fact that Carnival is not willing to compensate you for the fact that you can't stay in your room. They will not even offer you an upgrade in your room neither will they refund you your money. So, if you don't mind being treated like this and throwing away money, then I guess you will not mind Carnival. However, if you believe you should be valued as a customer then sail with another cruise line.

Original review: June 8, 2019

When we arrived to room 7259 an ocean suite, the kids were exhausted and wanted to lay down. We pulled sofa bed out and it had missing bolts. The kids grab the blankets and I noticed they had stains all over them that looked like urine stains. We called guest services and they sent people to fix it, they couldn't. They brought a roll away bed after dinner which almost made it that we couldn't walk around in room. They changed our sheets but we had to rush kids in shower. When ya pay 3 grand for a suite this is unacceptable, their way of making it right was to give us a round of drinks. What a joke.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Wow. What a pathetic cruise and experience. We luckily saved our life by seeing a fish bone two consecutive nights. On the first day we let it go and and on second night it happened the same on different fish order.

Original review: June 3, 2019

First off I wasn’t planning on posting reviews, I just wanted to send them feedback but I didn’t feel like the survey was good enough and there’s no way to email them. Also I’m a 31 year old male if that matters. Started the cruise with a practice abandon ship routine, for most people I’m sure it’s fine (they were by open windows) but for me and about 60 others, we were in an area with zero ventilation, extremely hot, standing shoulder to shoulder with about a foot between people in front and behind for a solid HALF HOUR!! Everyone was drenched with sweat, despite complaints they just said if you were going to pass out they would move you.

Did not receive hardly any communication about the cruise (I expected some packet or something) and the majority of the important information was spoken over an intercom that you couldn’t hear if you were in your room with the door shut and couldn’t hear if any of the other 3400 people on board were talking while it played. Didn’t really “figure things out” until the last 3 days of the cruise, guess this isn’t a problem for people who take cruises regularly. This lack of communication almost made us completely miss one excursion, we stood in line on the cruise for a water shuttle ticket and waited for it to be called when we had to go somewhere else for excursions.

We had a medical emergency so we had to go to ports in reverse order. It cut the time short in one area completely messing up that expensive excursion and the time in port was different at the next stop so I couldn’t go see the sites due to taxis being gone. I kind of assumed they would be doing something for everyone to help fix the issue that doing this caused but it never happened. I contacted them after the cruise and they did reimburse me some but they weren’t very apologetic or understanding and I had to stay on them to get anything done. I didn’t have fun on any of the three excursions/three ports but I posted about each one of those on the excursion pages. I didn’t realize if you do an excursion that’s all you get to do that day, nothing else. Those couple hours around them? Yeah, you’ll be standing in lines for those hours.

I very much enjoyed the shows they put on, I wish I had known about them sooner because I wouldn’t have missed a single one. Their performers are top notch, great dancers and singers! Though I will say they blast those shows SUPER loud. I also loved watching movies on the big screen sitting outside. The water slides were pretty neat, lines went quick but they were a little painful to go down (lines where each piece connects were bumpy.) The buffet food was good though I wish they had a snack bar, I was always hoarding cookies because stuff available when the buffet was closed (and you wanted a snack) cost money. I also abused their ice cream machines to the max and they were mostly good. The breakfast buffet was also good I am glad it was open so long because I like to sleep in. I also really liked the serenity zone where kids weren’t allowed.

The evening dining was pretty good, though I’m not a big fan of spending an hour and a half on a meal. The people I was with enjoyed those much more. Lots of neat options that always changed but their online menu didn’t always show everything and often whatever they served appeared in the buffet the next day. The staff in the “your time dining” were always friendly. It was incredibly hard trying to figure out how to dress, they just told you “what not to wear” and since it was across the ship I was worried each time about being turned down.

Staff in general was very friendly, they did a great job cleaning our room each day!!! A few things minor things: TV in the rooms is tiny, barely any channels, didn’t know about free movie channel or how it worked until the end. They take the towels each day no matter where you put them. We wanted to reuse them but tried 4 different locations to place them and they were always taken. Very hard to know what cost money and what doesn’t without asking. Jamaica port has nothing to do without paying money. Hot tubs are not very hot and they could use a few more.

Also I would have loved more than just two hammocks. Gave out free pictures but didn’t tell us until the day after they were taken they had a free option. Often we were bored in the day time then slammed at night rushing around trying to get to all the stuff, wish they would spread it out more. Could really use lockers by the swim area, I don’t trust laying my phone/room key/shoes etc in a chair unattended. The tea/lemonade was completely disgusting from the machines, however hot chocolate was amazing. I mostly used tea bags and just cold brewed my own tea. Often times couldn’t find where stuff was they would talk about (chocolate bar, etc) and I didn’t like having to wonder around for half an hour looking. Could have also used a nighttime snack bar, only thing open was pizza and the line was always 20 people deep.

That’s about it, I don’t think I’m really a cruise type person because I enjoy my freedom too much and like to explore my surroundings so most likely I won’t be taking any more cruises anytime in the near future but if I do book another one I will definitely try a different cruise line. I also really hate standing in lines and I had to do that multiple times EVERY day and often they were very long lines with lots of waiting, just not my idea of a fun vacation.

Original review: June 3, 2019

This company is a joke. I honestly don't know why people give them their hard earned money. Our 7 day, 3 port Mexican Riviera cruise, which due to whatever malfunction, on the ship's engine, so we got stuck in port for an extra day, turned into a 6 day, 2 port trip. I'm not paying to be stuck in port and MISS a port because this company can't pay attention to their ship's engine. So we ended up with a 2 port cruise, and reduced time in port and "Carnival reserves the right to modify the cruise itinerary without notice and without compensation." That's complete garbage. This company is complete garbage.

The employees we came in contact with on this ship were rude, and lazy. They didn't take any initiative to get things done. There was a pile of fruit on the floor in the elevator and there was an employee on said elevator, they just looked at it and stepped over it. In the buffet, they were adding new food on top of the old stuff that had been sitting out. Or they weren't even bothering to restock stuff at all. Those are just a few examples. I know I'm just one person, but if I can help one person make a better choice in cruise lines, then I have accomplished something. Seriously - spend a little bit more and go with a company that treats its customers better.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I use to love cruising especially with Carnival, but after my “7 day” cruise last week. I will never ever cruise again and definitely not with Carnival. This company will steal your money and screw you over by not delivering what was promised and advertised. They knew their ship the Splendor was broken before we got on the ship, but yet and still allowed people to board and later tell them they have to fix it during our trip. This shattered our whole trip! We spent 2 days doing nothing sitting on a ship in Long Beach.

They had to fly a tech from Miami to fix the ship. Also, everything was closed on the ship so we literally did nothing for two days so they can fix their ship on our time and our dime! They cancelled one of our ports to Mazatlan because of their faulty ship! We were looking forward to them delivering what was promised which was 3 ports that we had excursions and plans to enjoy. However, careless Carnival left us with the short end of the stick! I’d rather have gotten off and given a full refund simply because that is dangerous. How do you know I want to cruise for the rest of the week on this broken ship! I also learned this is the bad ship that left people stranded in the middle of the ocean! Carnival is also a dirty cruise line who only cares about taking people’s money and not the satisfaction of their guests.

This was the worst vacation ever and it’s sad when carnival wastes the little PTO time we barely get off from our jobs! Waste of time and lots of money spent! Very very sad and upset with this scheming company! Also, the food was toxic. We had food poison all week. It had our stomach in knots running to the bathroom and I’m still recovering from stomach issues! Do your research about these companies and their bad ships and food! Do not book! I would give them 0 stars if it let me!!! The company did not fairly compensate for their errors either! Karma will come!!! Carnival, you will ruin the cruise line industry and not just for your company, but the rest of them. You have scarred a person who use to love cruising and I will never spend another dime on a cruise. I’d rather do all inclusive vacays from now on!

Original review: May 31, 2019

Well not only did I take time off of work and not make money, I also spent a ton of money on this cruise line just to need chiropractic care. These mattresses in these ships must be ancient. Going into the cruise I was feeling fine. By night two my lower back was a mess. Come to find how lumpy it was (not like drunk me noticed the first night or two). They couldn't do anything. I was pretty much told deal with it. Just in a nicer way. I spent the whole trip fighting pain and tears. Now that I'm out so much money my back problems are pushing me away from work. Literally the opposite of what I expect from a vacation.

Original review: May 29, 2019

CARNIVAL ECSTASY CRUISE MAY 16 2019, WRONG MOVE. FOUL SEWAGE SMELL, Floors 6 and below were the worst with the foul odor. I felt like we were floating on a cesspool. They had constant repairs and pardon our progress signs blocking entryways and the lido deck. What a big inconvenience. They were painting our room deck and asked for time. I thought I was on vacation, why am working around them. Hair was found in our food one night and a metal object on another night.They kept the pool closed on several occasions and it was salt water not chlorine. I don't know how sterile this ship is, it had me very concerned.

Guest services is a joke and could care less about issues. I escalated my call on a complaint line and asked for a supervisor or management team member and that got me nowhere, In my opinion they had no care or remorse and only offered a discount on another cruise. Who wants to go back on this cruise line, with these expectations and how things are handled. I should be discounted from this experience. Not a future possible cruise.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Carnival Elation Cruise Ship from Jacksonville Florida to Bahamas was something our family looked forward to for months. Our cabin was fine, however, we were on the 7th floor and we had no idea there would be a club above us with loud music until late hours. I called when I could not sleep and was told nothing could be done.

The ship was PACKED with people and I feel it was definitely overbooked. There was not enough staff to keep food areas clean, dirty dishes everywhere. There was never any room in the pool. There were not enough chairs on deck for everyone. There were long lines to get a hamburger or pizza. The food offered in the cafeteria style restaurant was not good. We paid for a professional picture which we were supposed to be able to take it with us when we left the ship, but their equipment broke, so we left without the picture with a promise that it would be mailed to us. It is now 4 weeks and we still have not received the picture! We had to wait on the phone for a long time for an answer on where it was.

I would NOT recommend Carnival. It used to be a decent cruise line, but they have cut staff and increased the number of people they book on the ship, plus reduced the quality of the foot and really bad entertainment. We were very disappointed at spending a lot of money to cruise on this ship and not receiving much value. I will cruise again, but not with Carnival.

Original review: May 13, 2019

We just arrived home from our cruise on the Carnival Paradise. Our cruise was from Monday, April 22 – Saturday, April 27, 2019. This entire week was a complete nightmare which has made us decide to never cruise on Carnival again. Our flight out of Trenton, New Jersey was scheduled for 6:50 am on Monday, April 22, 2019. Upon arrival to the airport, we were told our flight was delayed due to “mechanical issues”. After two hours, I learned that our flight was cancelled. By the time I found out the flight was cancelled, it was impossible to find another flight from a different airport that would get us to Tampa to catch the cruise on time.

Needless to say, I was very distraught in the airport and contacted customer service for Carnival. I was told by the representative that “We were out of luck and would be treated as “No Shows”. I then asked her if this means that we would lose everything, and she said that we would and there was nothing more that she could help me with.

After this phone call, we returned home thinking that we had just paid for a cruise that we would not be on. Thousands of dollars gone. We figured out a plan where we would purchase a flight to Grand Cayman and catch our Carnival Cruise when it arrived in the Grand Cayman port on Wednesday, April 24, 2019. However, before purchasing another flight, we wanted to be reassured that we would be able to board the cruise ship from that port. Customer service could not give me an answer after over an hour of being transferred from one representative and supervisor to another. We were told that we had to go to a travel agent, book a flight to Grand Cayman, and then have the travel agent contact Carnival to confirm that a flight was booked and that we showed documentation that our original flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues.

We were still not assured that we would be able to board the ship, even after we purchased the new flight, which made us very nervous. It would be throwing money away on a flight and hotel in Grand Cayman if were unable to board the ship. We took a chance and did purchase the new flight. Afterwards, a travel agent did what Carnival told us to do and contacted them. After confirming that we had a new flight and documentation of the original flight cancellation, Customer Service still could not confirm that we would be able to board the boat. After several more hours on the phone, we were only told that we “might be able to board the water taxi and get on the ship” but they were trying to contact the captain and had not been able to. We were also told we would receive a call or email once they got in touch with the captain to confirm that he knew we would be getting on the ship in Grand Cayman. This call and email never came.

We flew to Grand Cayman on Tuesday, April 23, 2019 and stayed in a hotel overnight which added an additional $900 onto our trip; now totaling over $4,000. The next day we went to the port in Grand Cayman, extremely nervous about what was about to happen. No one at Carnival could confirm if we would still have our stateroom available if we were even able to board. Fortunately, Immigration and Customs in Grand Cayman were wonderful and told us that this happens frequently. We found it ironic that even though this happens frequently, no one at Carnival could tell us any information or provide procedures for mishaps such as this.

We boarded the cruise ship in Grand Cayman on Wednesday, April 24, 2019, after losing two days of our cruise and also two days of our beverage package that we purchased. No one aboard the ship could help us in any way regarding these lost two days of sailing or beverage package. At the very least, reimbursing us for the beverage package that we never used for two days, after all that we had been through, would have been an appropriate gesture.

Needless to say, it was very difficult for us to enjoy the rest of our vacation. This was my first cruise and my first vacation in 15 years due to being a single mother. I had been looking forward to this experience for months. Just to add one more thing, after everything else that we encountered, when we actually were on the cruise, we felt that the food and drinks were mediocre at best. Service from the employees was hit-or-miss. As you may have expected, we will not be booking another cruise with Carnival again.

**UPDATE** I sent a letter to Carnival Corporate Offices explaining this fiasco of a vacation. Here is the EMAIL response I received: "Thank you for contacting Carnival. My name is Terence and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your letter. I am sorry to hear your cruise got off to such a bad start, but I am glad you eventually made it on board. I also hope you will accept my apologies for any anxiety caused when you spoke with our customer service team. We would have loved to have provided more concrete information; however, there are a lot of background processes that take place before an approval to meet the ship can be given. I can agree that you should have been kept up to date with any changes and this will be addressed with our staff to ensure corrections moving forward.

Regarding the days missed and your Cheers program, I can only apologize for any cost benefits you may have lost. While I understand your sentiment, we are unable to honor your request for any compensation due to the time missed. Your cruise fare and the Cheers package are both non-refundable once the cruise starts. Once again, we sincerely apologize for your disappoint and hope you will change your mind about cruise with us in the future."

Original review: May 12, 2019

Wow, where do I start.. This was my first cruise ever. I enjoyed the cruise experience so I will be cruising again, but I will never use Carnival. I don’t enough space to say everything that happened so I’ll keep it brief. Everyday we were there, there was a new issue. First day we get there and request our rooms to be ready by 11.30am. We enter and requested 2 twin beds, but get a king size. We’re then told they don’t prepare the rooms until 6pm-9pm. We have a toddler and she wasn’t able to take a nap due to their ridiculous delay.

Another issue we had was we specifically chose carnival due to their childcare. We take our child to the daycare, and she threw up. We then had to pick her up, and have her clear my the medical staff, which is fine, as we’d hate any other child to get sick. The issue is there medical staff has such awkward hours, that we weren’t able to get her clear until the next day after 4pm. So any adult plans we had, had to be canceled due to their terrible medical hours. If you have a policy, then have the proper resources available to execute your policy comfortably.

The next day, my sisters went off to explore and I decided to stay with the baby. They provide a cell phone only to be used onboard when you have a child in the day care program, so one the baby was up, I can contact them and we can plan more fun things. Well, unfortunately something was wrong with the phone and I couldn’t get in contact with her. Then I heard someone being paged over the intercom so I decided to call guest services. Mind you, whenever we complained to guest services they weren't very pleasant nor tried to de-escalate the situation. So I ask, "Can I have my sister paged to come to the room." I’m then told, no. I have to go to guest services. I tell them, "I have a toddler, is there any way someone can just simply send her a page?"

A Supervisor is then placed in the line, without asking for one, and tells me “no, If you can’t come down, then look for them yourself”. At this point I was one again upset, and asked for his name as I was going to deal with him directly. Vasyl ** was his name. So I get the baby dressed, and go down. I requested to speak with him, as he would help me get them paged. This is a simple page, I don’t understand what his issue was. He then tells me, “they last used their card at this location, go there and look for them”.

I’m beyond upset at this point and explained, "You made me come down, and said you’d have her paged, now you're telling me to go look for them myself?" Mind you I have a 2 yr old and that’s easier said than done. He then calls Security and completely disregards my request. Security was able to assist in finding her, but my page request was never done. Something so simple as say “Jane doe, please call room 2345”. They then told my sister if they didn’t respond, they have to call the coast guard.

Ridiculous policies, and these are just a few issues. There were other things like a sewage smell in our section of the ship, not explanation of how to use the lights (you have to put your room key in a slot to turn them one, just an FYI), inconsistent schedule of events and restaurants, uneducated staff (we’d ask where a certain event was located and they’d provide incorrect information, by the time we figured it out, the event was over. The only positive about the trip were the wait staff in the Pacific diner. We were helped by Wijaya, Salinee and Jayson, and they were amazing. So nice, patient, and were always prepared when we arrived. After this experience I will never cruise with Carnival.

Original review: May 12, 2019

We advise everyone to AVOID Carnival at all cost. We were given a letter accusing us of pot smoking and threatening fines and/or debarkation. We do NOT do drugs. Received a token phone call from my email to Customer Service, who basically said, "We’re so sorry but we issue letters like that and will continue to do so." Therefore, Customer ‘Service’ resolved Nothing - the rep seemed bored with having to speak to me. Remember, Holland and other lines are owned by Carnival, so avoid them as well. Just letting you know our terrible experience and total lack of Customer ‘Service’!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Carnival Sunrise was horrible! This was my first cruise and it was horrible. This ship was not ready to sail! The plumbing was messed up the whole trip. We had to smell raw sewage the whole trip due to pipes leaking and busting. Multiple cabins flooded and bathrooms flooded. The toilet in my cabin wouldn't stop flushing on its own. I called maintenance was on hold for 30 mins. No one picked up. I called guest services. No one picked up so I had to go to guest services 3:30 in the morning. I was told a plumber would be sent to my room and no one showed up. The next day my toilet overflowed, flooded my bathroom out into the cabin. The food was cold and the cold food was warm. The coffee shop flooded, the women's bathrooms on deck 5 were closed for 5 days due to flooding. The only reason I gave them 2 stars was because of the awesome staff. They had to nerve to offer me a $75 credit towards another cruise. Our first cruise was a bust!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Met nice man in fun shop and ended up buying a $256 Citizen watch (MSRP $395). After registering it, had to get home first, I learned the watch would not be covered by Citizen and it was not sold by Carnival, but a third party 'shore cruise services'. Carnival never let you know, as they sailed into international water and the sales became international and covered differently. Used personal credit card and they are stopping payment and I am sending watch back. Amazon sells same watch but USA version for $138. Never buy anything you can't eat or drink.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My husband and I took a cruise to Bermuda on April 7, 2019 on the Pride out of Baltimore. This is my 6th cruise and my husband's 5th, all with Carnival. This trip was awful. We paid to upgrade to a non obstructed view balcony room. When we got to the room I started to put our things away. I opened the cabinet and there I find someone's dirty underwear. I called and the guy just grabbed them, he didn't even wipe out the cabinet. So ok, I am not a "picky" person. So I continue.

Then, the walls were dirty, the balcony had no privacy (everyone around could see in since we were at the back of the boat), the glasses in the bathroom had crud in them, there was dust everywhere, rice in the drawer (I am assuming someone got water in their cell phone) but the kicker was a booger on the vanity. (YES A BOOGER.) So that was my tipping point. I asked to be moved to another room which they did. That room was a little better. Still crud in the glasses and dust everywhere but I can deal with it. We are now in an obstructed view room. I asked to be reimbursed my upgrade amount of $158.00 and was told NO. Seriously??? Carnival has really gone downhill. I was offered an onboard credit. No thank you, I will not be sailing Carnival anymore.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Booking number **. Second day of cruise pulled all sheets down and found blood stains on bottom sheets that we slept on, the fitted ones. We slept on top of sheet above the fitted one, they came and took pictures and were accusatory as to if I were cut, or had a period. I offered for them to inspect my personal self and as well explained I hadn’t had a period in 12 yrs. The captain's dinner is another story. We never met the captain and had a different staff every night. We prepaid all excursions and spa treatments. I was rebilled on sign and sail agreement.

Called customer service upon returning home. I have gotten the run around about getting a refund for my money back. They explained the spa is a third party. But my credit card statement states paid to Carnival Cruise Spa. So, I would have to contact spa and go through them. Next song and dance with spa. Carnival states they will offer as a courtesy an onboard credit, for goodness sakes I would never cruise with Carnival ever again. They rebilled every single pre purchased prepaid excursion and told me they gave me increased credits back when they did not.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Carnival to me is you get what you pay for. Trip all in all was okay, until I checked my wallet, that had been in the safe, I thought was locked and actually was not, my mistake. Upon arriving home, I wanted to deposit into my account unused money. I had brought $550, when arrived home only had $350. I only used my sign and sail card on board. Not believing I "lost" two $100 bills. As I stated I believed the safe was locked, and noticed when I went to retrieve my wallet, passport etcetera, safe was not locked. I only wore two pieces of jewelry at all times. Thank goodness...

Original review: April 29, 2019

This is a late review... we cruised for my son's 5th birthday in July 2017 (his choice and my husband's first cruise ever, my 7th. I have cruised on other lines also). First, since I have cruised several times before, on Carnival and other cruise lines, I can honestly say Carnival has taken a decline in every area since my last cruise with them in 2010. It was an utter disappointment when I had bragged it up to my son and husband.

This was my first time cruising with a child so I have no basis of judging the kid area prior to this cruise. However, it was so so. My son got bored a lot there, but enjoyed one of the camp counselors and the scavenger hunt. He did not want to get off the boat, though we did not do an excursion, we did get off the boat, shop then get back on the boat to allow him to go back to camp. I liked that they gave me a phone that they could call me on when he was ready to be picked up or when he was upset.

However, I did not like when we got back on the boat, they told me that he could not attend camp with his new friends because it was only for children who had parents on an excursion. NOPE - Upset my son and made this mom pretty mad. Nowhere was this "policy" and when I called and asked a supervisor about it, they also said he should not have been refused. So, he did not utilize camp after that. Kinda ruined our trip after that, although we did go to the build-a-bear event together as a family and the slides a LOT after that so that he was entertained.

Guy's Burgers are fantastic! My son doesn't care or burgers but loved theirs & the fries *with ranch on side* and room service was nice for letting him chill out and enjoy some time to rest. Otherwise, the food (with the exception of hot molding chocolate cake w/ extra ice cream) was terrible - even the upgraded steak that I purchased. This use to be customary and amazing, now it is more expensive and buffet was better than the dining room.

3 days was more than enough - we were all bored after awhile. Pools and hot tubs were overrun and you can only enjoy two/three water slides for so long. We did the Dr. Seuss breakfast and my son LOVED it as I did also, but it was not my husband's cup of tea. The characters were late and food took forever to be served. The "signatures" were basic stamps. If we go again, we will pass it up. The performance of the country music program was terrible. That is NOT how Southern people walk, talk, sing, dance or dress.

My son wants to cruise again, but next time we will go on a different cruise line with him or a larger ship with more activities. More of the putt putt balls or clubs were "lost" or thrown off the ship by kids running wild with very little parental supervision. A couple of teenagers by the golf course reeked of what seemed to be marijuana and were using VERY vulgar language in front of my 5 year old.

I purchased the bottomless bubbles and it was not as good as it was in the past. The bartenders would ALWAYS make me WAIT while they served alcohol purchasing customers, which caused LONG waits for a soda. The ice cream machine was out of service for 2 of the days, which was disappointing for myself and my son. I was overcharged and had to wait 7 days for Carnival to release the funds back to me. I wish Carnival would go back to the quality and service provided years ago.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Getting on the boat was quick and easy. Housekeeping was friendly and helpful. Aside from the above positives everything was absolutely dreadful. The bars only had one bartender serving drinks...slowly. It was as if they were just tired of being on the boat and just didn’t care anymore. It would take 10-15 minutes just to be acknowledged.

The wait for the elevators was 10 minutes almost every time. There were several pools on the boat but they could only fit about 10 people in each. The hot tubs had cold water pumped into them starting around 9pm every night. Just to clarify the hot tubs were hot during the day when the sun was out and cold at night when the temperature started dropping enough to make getting in comfortable.

The worst part was definitely the food. Just disgusting all around. I’ve had food not seasoned that tasted better. I regrettably had two burgers the first day and threw up later that night. Motion sickness may have played a small part in that however the only other time I threw up was the morning we were debarking. We arrived at the port at 7am and had to wait our turn to get off. While waiting we ate at the buffet, scrambled eggs, sausage, and hash browns. We went back to the room and I immediately threw everything up. We weren't even moving this time so I know that motion sickness wasn’t a factor. None of the other meals made me throw up but anytime I ate anything other than fruit I felt severely sick to my stomach. My girlfriend and I will never go on another cruise with Carnival nor would we recommend anyone cruise with them. As this was our first cruise this experience may keep us from going on any cruise in the future.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Worst. Cruise. Ever. My third overall, first on Carnival. I took the Sunshine cruise from NYC to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and finally to Nassau 6/28/17-7/6/17. Starting from the beginning: Checking in in NYC took an hour. The line snaked around inside the port 5 times over. They supposedly allow you to check in online for a specific time slot to lessen wait time. Baloney. It was a free for all and chaotic. I feel like I'm on the cruise for Section 8/Welfare recipients. Most of the other customers are either poor ** trash or enormous Jerry Springer-type **. Either way, they're loud, obnoxious and discorteous. Not the type of people I would pay over $4000 to travel with in close quarters for 8 long, torturous days straight.

Everywhere you go, there is a crowd of people. EVERYWHERE. You can't go anywhere outside your own cabin, for peace and quiet. In addition to the crowds, there is loud, terrible teeny-bopper music. It is an impossibility to sit peacefully, quietly by the pool and reflect or read a book, because they're always playing loud, awful music and/or there's a DJ screaming into a mic encouraging drunk people to get up, dance, and act like fools.

The buffet is like feeding-time at the zoo: unless you can get up and dressed by 6:30 am, you are sure to have to fight and push your way to the buffet in order to fill your plate with terrible scrambled eggs, etc. The coffee always tastes like it's been sitting in the pot for about 2 days, and then heated up and served to us. Your best bet is to eat and run, quickly.

Grand Turks: we did an excursion of snorkeling and catamaran ride. This was nice. They then took us to a private beach but only allowed us to swim for about 20 minutes. Again, the captain insisted, for reasons I can't understand, to play loud-** music and encourage silly drunk ** folks to try to dance. It was really quite embarassing. I was hoping and expecting a nice quiet catamaran ride. Nope.

Half Moon Cay: first of all, the ship can't dock near the shore so they herded us onto smaller boats that sidled up to the ship. Well, they first gave out numbers on stickers, i.e. 1-50, and called one or a couple of numbers at a time to board the little boat. We had number 22. It took an hour from the time they handed out the number, to let us board. After getting to the island, they had hundreds of chaise longues, but alas, no umbrellas and only a handful of shade covers for oh, nearly 5,000 people. So you either had to burn in the sun or walk half a mile up the beach to find a tree to lie under, like I did. More loud music here, too.

Nassau: we did no excursions, no more beach - we were sun - and beach-phobic by this time. Too much sun. We instead opted for a tour in an air conditioned van with about 10 other tourists, driven by a local who was very charismatic, funny and talkative. He showed us the Supreme Court building, the Governor's mansion, poor neighborhoods, rich neighborhoods, stopped at a bodega for anyone to get beer or what-not, showed us the Queen's Stairs. All in all, it was about a 2 1/2 hour tour. No loud music, very pleasant. Worth the $30/person.

We had the displeasure of rooming next to some loud people who felt that the best time to talk to each other as if they were at a rock concert, was around 1:30 in the morning. I'm not a senior citizen, I'm 44 years old, but I go to bed early and like to remain sleeping until the morning when I naturally wake up. By the second night of their **, I was forced to call security. The third night we were awoken to what I can only describe as what sounded like someone ran and jump-kicked our cabin door - at 1:30 am. It scared the hell out of us. Then about 10 minutes later someone came banging on our door, and on the doors of the people near us. It was really quite frightening.

Our cabin was on the 10th floor which is the spa "Cloud 9" floor. As soon as we settled into our room once we boarded, they asked if we wanted to go on a tour of the spa, which turned out to be nothing more than a sales pitch. We got about 45 seconds into the "tour" before we realized that it was the equivalent of a Time-Share sales pitch and promptly got the hell out. Needless to say, if you're between the ages of 16 and 30, like to drink all day and night, love loud, horrible Justin Bieber-type music and/or worse, current rap music, just love being around a whole bunch of Bed-Stuy/Harlam residents, then, by God, this is the cruise for you!

Original review: April 21, 2019

We have cruised with Carnival Cruise Lines multiple times; please allow us to share a few observations. A. Rudeness is a 2 way street usually initiated by an irate passenger. B. Rudeness is a 2 way street usually initiated by an irate passenger. C. Rudeness is a 2 way street usually initiated by an irate passenger.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We had our wedding on the carnival horizon. The wedding and cruise itself was good, however, we paid for our wedding pictures, we paid and picked up our photos and video before disembarking. We get home, have our family and friends together as we start to view our wedding video and find that it belongs to another couple. We were married February 2019 and it is now April. We have called dozens of times, spent endless hours on the phone, being told different stories, bounced around and told that it will take 4 to 6 weeks over and over again. To date we do not have our WEDDING VIDEO!!! We paid a lot of money because we also wanted our video and we don't have it. They have not made things right. We just want our wedding memories and nothing. They have turned what was a beautiful time into a nightmare. Very upset and can't believe how we keep getting the runaround.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Unknowing of where to send people for drop off. (Wrong ways, old man jumped in front of car to stop it, rude employees at baggage handling). Upgraded to a king bed, they just pushed two twin beds together. Ship has unbearable Sewage smell. Couldn’t even enjoy main bar on inside. Did not get to experience more than one photo scene due to sewage smell.

Bathroom also had sewage smell at night time causing Chardena to throw up twice. Backed up water was coming from the shower bathroom floor drain. Plumber covered up drain with a towel to stop overflow of water. The morning after the toilet would not flush for two hours. Am being a young lady who menstruates, that is very embarrassing for me to have to tell my spouse to use a different bathroom because the toilet is full of waste.

Purchased wifi on day one. Wifi did not work. Was told to find a good spot. My cabin was Stationed on the back of the boat, wifi maybe worked on the front of the boat. The middle and front of the boat reeked of sewage. The track and golf area reeked of pee. Stepped in throw up on and off of the elevator. I have also had to accommodate myself by spraying massive amounts of perfume and air fresheners to make myself and my spouse halfway comfortable.

I am at this point unhappy with the cruise I experienced this year. These problem will definitely cause me not to return or recommend others for the “Carnival Cruises” period. I am very unhappy because I was unable to experience the ENTIRE ship due to sewage smell. The crew members tried to cover the smell with a very strong air scent but it just mixed together. The middle and forward part of the ship smelled just like a nursing home. I had to spend more money off of the ship than expected trying to accommodate myself for lost relaxation onboard. I have been on Carnival cruises before and I have grown to know what is offered and what to expect.

Carnival Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.

• Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.

• Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.

• Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.

• Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.

• Best for: The Carnival Cruise liner is best for budget-aware cruisers and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs