3.51/5

Looking for a travel site?

Carnival Cruise Lines

Looking for a travel site?

1544 Carnival Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

In the past years I’ve been fortunate enough to cruise six times with Carnival Cruise Lines. I can honestly say I had no bad experiences with the staff or any of the personnel. They were all very professional, courteous, happy to help In any way they could to make my experience as fulfilling as they possibly could. The entertainment was always spot on In my opinion. The bands were top-notch, and played really good dance music. The food was always excellent, prepared as if you were dining in a five-star hotel, or if you would rather kick back with a more laid-back dining experience you could hang out at the bar or around the pool and eat fresh barbecue off of the grill, or have a pizza made to order.

Now I am only one person, and mine is one opinion, and experience, But I can assure you I’m not the only one that feels this way about Carnival. I made some really good friends that I’ve kept in contact with through the years that live across the country from me, and I can assure you they are of the same opinion as l. Trust me when I say, you can’t go wrong cruising with Carnival Cruise Lines!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

This was my first time on any cruise. I chose Carnival because my boyfriend has went on them once with his family. From start to finish the customer service was incredible. Whatever you need the staff will do for you. Always friendly and polite and so helpful. If you’re a fan of the casino there are some wonderful staff members who made our experience great (even when we started losing lol). Koketso is one of the casino bosses. He is a stand up man. He’s very friendly and funny. We received a few seat certifications from him for hands we got in the game. Some of the dealers we loved were Fernando and Kopano! They were nice guys! Fernando is a cowboys fan, but we let that one slide!

So many bartenders. All fast and friendly service. One who stuck out named Joel **, we saw him earlier in the day once and then late at night in the casino and he remembered our drinks before we even said anything to him! We dined at 8:15 pm and our team was SPECTACULAR. Their names were Jino, Bhiku, Sedana and Inoyman. I’ve never had waiters ever before anywhere as amazing as these guys were. I was having an issue with my teeth and chewing and Bhiku brought me mashed potatoes as a side even though they weren’t on the dining menu. I really appreciated that. They were super funny with their jokes. Anything you could possibly need they would do for you. Checked on food. Brought two different entrées out for my boyfriend to eat. Dessert was delicious. They all danced and sang for the shows and they did great!

Due to a slight injury I didn’t partake in activities such as bingo and dancing like I wish I could have but the girl who announced everything No-No (not sure on spelling) she was so fun and lively and entertaining! Last but certainly not least the housekeeping team! Gerry was in charge of the cleaning for our room/floor. The bartenders would swipe your cards and give them back and use your name. Gerry knew our names every time he saw us though! He was so friendly. The room was always spotless clean with fresh towels and towels made into animals. I don’t know how many people Gerry is in charge of but he’s doing an amazing job with all of them. We appreciated their work.

One negative part of my trip is that I had to use the medic, but the staff down there was wonderful. Dr. Natalia is a very nice woman. The other person I remember was the nurse named Pink, she’s very bubbly and happy and cheerful. Although my experience with the medic team did not help/solve my medical issue at all, the staff was still fantastic and helped me as much as they could. Overall wonderful and I will be booking another one again soon!

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2019

My wife and I have cruised 11 times with Carnival, with 2 more coming up this year (2019) and next year. Then, we'll be ready to be Platinum guests. We had 1 problem, on one of the earlier cruises, concerning the casino, which was sorted out and actually proved to be our fault in not knowing how to use our Sign and Sail cards. All in all, we have nothing but good to say about the service, food, cleanliness and friendliness of the ship and its crew members, and I am talking about at least 8 of the ships that we have been on. My wife is allergic to garlic, and the restaurant staff bends over backwards to serve her meals prepared just for her with no garlic. Sometimes, you will meet with a crew member who is short with you, but they are only human and have their off days too, just like us. We will continue to sail with Carnival because we know that we will get the best value for the money spent on any cruise with them.

Original review: July 7, 2019

This was our second Carnival cruise on June 29th, 2019 from Charleston, SC. on board the Carnival Sunshine for 5 nights. It was just as much fun as our first a couple years ago on the Carnival Liberty out of Port Carnival. We had balcony rooms both times. No issues with air conditioning or cabin problems. The food was great every night in the dining areas. Different menus every night and we ate in the dining room every night. I like they don't give you too big of proportions so you have room for desert.

I did the 20 dollar upcharge for surf and turf two nights. Had no need to got to the three upcharge restaurants. They were never sold out since they announced opening every night over the PA system. They were small too so don't think they will last. Guy’s Burger were great. Also had a barbecue in one of the pubs we just ran into. The serenity end of the ship is great with no kids allowed. Me and the wife are empty nesters now but do miss not having the kids around. The comedians were great but need to get to the shows early to get a seat. We did Disney last year and yes the shows and food are better but not for almost double the price of a Carnival cruise.

We got free water in our cabin for being second time cruises, I brought a 6 pack of Coke in cans and a bottle of wine I never even opened. You can get milk and chocolate milk at the buffet and put it in you refrig in your room if you have a balcony room. They have plenty of lemonade and ice tea dispensers around if you’re thirsty. Free ice cream machines too. Drinks are about 22 dollars for two. We had Piña coladas most of the time. We also did behind the scenes tour which we loved. Expensive but enjoyed it. Hope that helps.

Tony and Bonnie from New Jersey

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

If I had not cruised with Carnival before, then this trip would have been great. This was my 12th or 13th cruise with Carnival (I am a Platinum guest), my first time aboard the Conquest. The food in the dining room was fair to good. I was pleased that the portion sizes had been reduced because I believe that there was a lot of waste however, the quality should be the same or better. It seemed to me that you were being pushed to visit the specialty restaurants.

I was very disappointed that there was a charge for room service after 10pm. I am a guest with limited mobility and therefore I spend more time inside my cabin than most guests. I loved the fact that I could order room service and get a plate of fresh fruit and hot tea at no charge other than a tip for the server. Now I would have to spend $2.00 plus tip, for a carafe of hot water and a couple tea bags.

Everyone was absolutely great. I was however disappointed that our main server at table 431, the late dining, Antwon seemed to be very distracted and did not provide the attention and excellent care that I have been used to aboard Carnival. Also, Melvin, our cabin steward did not provide that personable and pleasant service that I was used to. These two individuals did their job but did not go the extra steps to get to know me.

No ice bucket in the cabin? What is that about? I ordered water and a bottle of liquor for the cabin. When I asked for ice Melvin brought me a white plastic tub with ice in it. It seems that one would know that we would like the drink to be chilled with ice. There was only one glass there as well. There were seemed to be an issue with dirty windows in my cabin and on the Lido deck.

The rest of the ship seemed to be clean and the staff was excellent! My glasses chose this time to lose a screw and Prince replaced it and fixed my glasses. Olena, in the dining room was fantastic and the servers on the Lido deck helping my son and me (riding our scooters around) get our food and take our trays to out tables, offering to get drinks, dessert, or whatever we needed was fantastic. That is what I'm used to from Carnival.

Please bring back the 24 hour free room service especially the items was offered before or at the very least, give me the drinks without charge. I really don't like the new nickel here and dollar there. I sell Carnival Cruises as everything is included except gambling and liquor. Now I can't say that. I didn't feel like I was a VIP on this trip. There were no tablecloths except for elegant nights. So why should I dress for the dining room if it doesn't dress for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

13 of my family members and myself took a cruise on the Conquest this past week. WORST cruise ever!!! I will not cruise with Carnival again! There was nothing to do, but swim in the over crowded pools. Activities were consistently cancelled left and right. Food was not good. Paid for the steakhouse and could have had a better meal at any other restaurant on land and saved a lot of money. We paid for the faster to the fun and the only time we were able to use it was to board the ship. Went to 2 tender ports that you are supposedly able to be first off when purchasing it. Didn’t happen. Not to mention my two boys and myself were nearly knocked down the steps to the 0 deck because they brought the faster to the fun down, made us stand in a line and other guest were crowding in the halls and the employees just said go.

The ship is in serious need of a renovation. Lots of rust, and rundown looking areas. Also our ac in our cabin did not work hardly, notified the customer service, nothing was done. Very few of the employees acknowledged us. There were multiple times I would say hi or good morning and get no response. Tried to talk to customer service about some of the issues and were told we will let our team know. That’s it. No sorry, we will get it fixed, nothing. I should also mention I was just on the Freedom 6 weeks ago and it was AMAZING!! So I was completely floored with this trip. I guess we will take our money somewhere else.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Me and my wife has been cruising with Carnival over 11 years, Called the cruise planner, sorry to say he was not available. Talked to another planner, explained to her that we will not be able to make the cruise because of a very personal matter that need our immediate attention. After talking to her she did not sympathize with us or anything. Asked her if we can get some of our money back, or even reschedule for another time. Mind you we are loyal customers, wouldn't go anywhere else until now. If you don't care about us why should we care about cruising with you guys again. You need to get more compassionate people to work for you. Don't think we will ever cruise with you again, and I will tell our other friends who cruise with your company, and mind you I have quite a few friends that cruise with carnival also to do the same.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Carnival Cruise Line REVIEW: I know a lot of people were just recently devastated by Hurricane Dorian and for that I am deeply saddened but one thing that really disappointed me with Carnival is that we had a 6 day cruise booked and I am a FIRST RESPONDER who was mandated to work during the hurricane and relief efforts resulting in my vacation time being cancelled by my department. My Fiancée whose name the cruise was booked under called Carnival nearly a week before it was time to leave port and explained the situation to see if we could reschedule or cancel and book again at a later date and she had trip insurance. CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE. Told her that they would not do anything for her unless we were BOTH in the hospital for the trip insurance to be used. I feel that is a total slap in the face to myself and thousands of other first responder and military who spend their hard earned money with CARNIVAL every year.

So the end result I had to stay back and work while she ended up going just so we didn’t lose all of our money and no one got to go. I hope each and everyone who reads this understands my situation and can relate to what I have experienced. I never leave negative posts on anyone’s page but that’s a lot of money just to be told “Oh you're working the hurricane -Too BAD". CARNIVAL DO THE RIGHT THING AND REACH OUT TO ME AND MAKE THIS RIGHT. If they fix the issue they can reach out to me through Facebook because I left a review there as well and I would be glad to remove this review or to an addendum.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My husband and I went on our cruise (we are frequent cruisers) August 31-Sept 5th. I will mark it as one of the worst vacations I have ever had. This trip unfortunately started off on the wrong foot. Hurricane Dorian had made an appearance and of course, we feared for our safety. Carnival however, did not. When I called carnival customer service, (later finding out many people had the same experience) I expressed how scared I was for mine and my husband's safety in reference to this hurricane. Might I add it was headed directly for our destination, the Bahamas. Their response was an ultimatum; "You can lose your money and not go on the cruise because at this time we are not offering any credits, refunds or compensations." After speaking with other angry, worried guest, they received the same response.

While on the ship, we were informed less than 24-hours in advance that we would not be sailing to our first port, Princess Cay, due to the hurricane. We would now be docking in Key West. Which at this point we were just ready to get off the ship. We were still planned to go to Nassau. We were extremely worried because after docking in Key West, we looked up how bad the storm was and it had then destroyed the Bahamas. Later that night, we were finally informed we would be sailing the ocean the rest of the trip with no more ports. Keep in mind we still had 3 days until we docked and they were unsure we could even dock on the scheduled day anyway. Many people asked why we could not visit another port away from the storm and the response was, "Well this is a 5 day cruise, and you did not pay for a 7 day which means we can't go to another port." Make sense? Because it did NOT make sense to us.

Therefore, we literally made circles in the middle of the ocean for days. Did they offer any discounts, incentives, refunds, credits, even one free drink? Of course not! Everyone at this point was worried about our vehicles in the parking lot back in Jacksonville where the storm was suppose to destroy. (Luckily it did not) I frantically made my way to guest services, along with many other guest, where I asked "If our cars are destroyed and we have no way to get to the airport or home, will Carnival help us get transportation within reason?" The answer I received from the guest service supervisor was, "Your property is not any of our concern, mam. You will have to deal with whatever happens. We at Carnival don't control the weather." A guest looked at me and said, "I love how they look at us like we have seven heads when we ask for help after they put us in this situation."

I am baffled at the selfishness of Carnival. This proved the company is only concerned with how much money they could make. Instead of giving us the option to cruise later (I would have even been okay with a 50% future cruise credit, which I ask for the day before we embarked), a refund or ANYTHING. They chose to do nothing, put us at risk of being in a bad storm (the waves were so bad the last 2 nights we couldn't even sleep from bouncing around) and ruined our vacation. You would think they would offer SOME compensation considering we did not go anywhere near where we paid to go. I understand the weather isn't their fault however, they should have done something for everyone that got stuck with this horrendous vacation.

Given the ultimatum of "go or pay for it" was just selfish. I will NEVER use carnival again. Instead I will use a company that cares about peoples safety. Most other cruise lines CANCELLED the cruises due to this CAT 5 hurricane. Very unsatisfied. There are more things I could complain about regarding this vacation that carnival said/did but I will not.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

In working together with Carnival Cruise lines recently after the disruption caused by Hurricane Dorian, it was apparent the facade of Fun and the portrayal of their customer experience is not always accurate. Carnival repeatedly acted in their own self interest and were unwilling to take actions that would have improved my satisfaction and created a customer for life. My request was simple: reimbursement for the inconvenience. Shortening a 5-day experience to a little more than 36 hours is unacceptable. Kenyetta and Kenyada, the CSRs from Carnival, took little ownership of my frustration, even after they acknowledged a 2-day experience was slightly inadequate. Shortening the cruise vs canceling the cruise gives Carnival leverage to hold funds in the form of a credit instead of providing a chargeback. This was a poor experience at best, and likely a reason I was advised to book through Royal Caribbean.

Carnival Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.

• Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.

• Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.

• Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.

• Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.

• Best for: The Carnival Cruise liner is best for budget-aware cruisers and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs