2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.99/5
Based on 1,351 ratings submitted in the last year

Carnival Cruise Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I had a cruise scheduled for 9/2020, but obviously with the pandemic, it was cancelled. At this time, I did receive the $600 onboard credit and 100% towards next cruise. I immediately re-booked for a cruise in January 2021, hoping all would be resolved for cruising by then. Sadly, it was not and once again the cruise was cancelled. Only this time, there was no compensation for the cancellation. I could not find anywhere on their form where it indicates only a one-time onboard credit for cancellation. If that is the case, why even send the email to me, giving me the option. At any rate, I re-booked once again, this time for a cruise in 4/2021, and my fear is it will be cancelled again, and once again there will be no compensation.

While I understand there is a pandemic, I feel as though carnival should not be offering any cruises until they know for certain they will be sailing. I am not booking back to back hoping to be cancelled, I am waiting a few months out, only to be told, cancelled again. I emailed them and stated that while I understand they may not give the $600 onboard credit again, there should be some type of compensation. Two days after re-booking for the 4/2021 cruise I received an advertisement showing free drink package, so I asked if they could give me that since they were offering it any way, and I had just re-booked, and was told no that was not an option either.

I just feel that the inconvenience of them listing sailings only to later cancel, all while doing nothing to compensate the client is horrible. I have sailed with Carnival many times, and we love the cruise line for our family, but just wish they were doing more for their customers who remain loyal, and re-booking with their cruise line.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I purchased a cruise for the beginning of October. It was cancelled due to Covid-19. That's understandable. They gave me $300 onboard credit. However once I tried to rebook I found that all the cruises were several hundred dollars higher so in able to get a price like the one THEY CANCELLED I had to book it for an entire year later plus pay $20. That was annoying enough. However upon checking into it further I realized I wasn't just paying $20 extra I had paid in full mine and my daughter's gratuities plus paid for some things for on-board like extras and apparently all of that went to the new Cruise as well without them telling me that and when I expressed my anger in that he said, "Well you can use the onboard credit for that."

I told him no I just want a refund and then I was told I would lose almost half my money because I was already booked on another cruise!! So basically I'm not going to get an onboard credit is what they're saying so they canceled my Cruise not me they cancelled and I get nothing in return. That's crazy. This is not my fault. I didn't cancel. THEY cancelled.

Get buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Have not been able to get fun points back. I put wrong name of ship. Should be easy fix. 2 months now. Other points are from Carnival cancelled cruise.. Are you not aware these ships didnt sail? I would not recommend this card because of customer service. I wonder if I have to go further and report to a federal agency. Please advise. Jean

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I’ve spent thousands on Carnival Cruises, been on many. I never had a prior issue before departure until now. So I called the customer service line and spoke with Sasha. She and I weren’t understanding each other (she wasn’t understanding the question and I was trying to explain to her that the previous rep had told me something different) so I politely asked to speak to a supervisor. I could tell she was frustrated, and I told her I know it’s not your fault, but I think it would serve both of us better for me to talk to a supervisor. She put me on hold for 45 min and never came back. So I called again, asked a new rep for a supervisor, spent 40 more minutes on hold with no answer. What kind of customer service is that?! I am absolutely taken back they would treat their customers this way. No respect for my time.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

Just a below average cruise all the way, the on shore events were expensive and with the exception of Belize, were really not very good. The ship had many problems, our bathroom toilet backed up, the food was just average, and the same almost every day, unless you went to one of the onboard restaurants, and that at an extra charge, there was no soft drinks available in the buffet and soft drinks were $4 a piece, we ordered soft drinks and wine and a flower package for our room, never happened, then had to go to customer service to get a refund, which took two days, and long wait in line. Our upgraded room was equipped with two single beds with enough room for one of us to use the bathroom at a time, the in room service and the crew were very polite and provided very good service, what there was of it.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I booked a cruise with Carnival after much research. I spoke to several agents from Carnival that assured me that when the ship got into each port - I would have access to the beach for swimming without having to use any transportation. This was an Eastern Caribbean cruise- Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and Grand Turk. When we arrived at our first port - no access to a beach for swimming - only a pool. After the first port - I went to the cruiseline desk to ask about the other ports. I was told that there was only immediate access to a beach in Grand Turk. All other ports would require me to take a taxi or shuttle to a beach. I was not pleased. I spoke with other guests who were given the same information. Other guests told me that they did give in and take taxis to the various beaches and then after paying for taxis - were charged for the beach chairs as well. Ridiculous. One man told me that he paid over $80 US dollars that day just to take his family to a beach.

In Grand Turk - I was told by Carnival that all of the beach chairs were free and that they were reserved for Carnival guests. When we got to the Grand Turk port - there was already another Carnival Cruise ship in port - and of course there were no chairs available for us - until the other cruise ship pulled off. And so - I ended up paying $15 US for a beach chair. All of the information that Carnival cruise gave me was not true. I got suckered into believing I was going to have a relaxing beach cruise - sitting on the beach and soaking up the sun....but it didn't happen. I would NEVER go with Carnival again - and I would NEVER recommend this cruise line to anyone else. BEWARE. PS: this was a February 2020 cruise (just before Covid hit the world).

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

So, let me start by saying I would give them 0 stars if I could. I had a cruise scheduled for June 2020. and due to Covid-19 it was cancelled. Bummer for everyone, but nobody's fault. I figured it would take a while to get my money back, but I fully expected to receive it all. That didn't happen. They shorted my almost $500 because it was somehow put in that I cancelled the cruise. I did not. They have since scolded me, told me that I handled it incorrectly with my credit card company, and treated me like a nuisance when I call asking when I will receive the remainder of my money. They have also made it seem like I'm somehow trying to scam Carnival to get the money twice. I have not gotten it at all!

For months, they told me I already received it and my credit card company had it. That was a full on lie. Nobody is helpful, nobody seems to have any idea what happening, and all they say is "call your credit card company". Are you serious?? Give me my money back! They have all been awful, and I have received the worst customer service ever. I had hoped that when it was safe to travel again, I could rebook, but I will NEVER give this company any of my money again. They are the worst!

Original review: July 17, 2020

Our cruise for March 28 was canceled due to Covid. I was told I would receive my refund in 7 to 10 days. It is July 17, and I have not received my refund. After contacting Carnival, I was told that everything is processing and that I should have a nice day. They won’t give me anything in writing and they will not give me an answer as to when I will receive my refund. After filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, it was marked as answered because carnival said I am receiving a refund. I have still not received a refund or even gotten anything in writing besides our conversation through the Better Business Bureau to show that I am due a refund. This business is fraudulent.

Original review: July 15, 2020

NO amount of stars are worthy of this company - which includes Seabourn Cruise Lines. After canceling a cruise in January of 2020 due to unrest in Hong Kong and beyond at the recommendation of travel and health professionals, we were offered only half of our amount back because of being just outside the full refund parameter. NOW with the pandemic, we requested our full refund back to our American Express Card (American Express Travel has already been notified of this and shares our beyond strong convictions!) again and were told NO! UNITED AIRLINES has recently refunded our first class ticket amount in FULL back to our American Express Card.

WE are in our late 60s and per Personal Physician's strong advice which we offered to submit to Fransisco at Seabourn - he DECLINED and said would do no good. We've sent emails to the CEO of Seabourn, Stein Kruse, and the CEO of Carnival, Arnold Donald, who lives in a lavish home here in St. Louis and we know personally - neither have given us the respect and dignity of a response much less the concession that is MORAL and JUST! The travel company, MillenniuM, is also hoping for a rightful concession. I have emails between the companies and ourselves that we are very happy to share with anyone. Respond and I will connect us for further details. Anne and Bob, St. Louis

Original review: July 6, 2020

It has been more than 100 days and I have still not received any refund money from Carnival Cruise Lines. I know it's unprecedented times, but you can take a lot of money all at once from a lot of people and cannot return money in a reasonable amount of time. As of today (day 101) they do not know when I will receive my money, "be patient".

Carnival Cruise Lines author review by ConsumerAffairs

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.

• Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.

• Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.

• Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.

• Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team