1.54/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Carnival Cruise Lines

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

1166 Carnival Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My fiance and I were to get married on Carnival in Cozumel, Mexico. The cruise was to continue to Cuba. We found out my fiance was unable to get a passport. I contacted Carnival and they stated that was ok. Well, after spending well over $7,000, we got to the cruise ship to find out we couldn't get on the cruise and we were sent back to the airport. We had to rent a car to go home (which we lost all the airfare we had already booked). We rented a car and came straight home. The rental car was damaged by a semi losing a tire in front of us. I just can't believe Carnival wouldn't give back one dime! They made the mistake and explained it was my fault for not asking the right questions. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? How would I know that the wedding division wouldn't look at my entire cruise and realize there was a problem? I can't believe they couldn't even apologize. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Carnival Cruise line have really let me down. We flew from Australia to do a family vacation for my Mother's 70th Birthday and my Sister's 40th Birthday. Flights from LA to Miami were not flying due to Hurricane Irma. We were told our cruise would go out on the Tuesday rather than the Saturday, which did not matter as we could not get there as no Airlines were flying in. We had two cabins booked. We were advised they would provide a full credit for the cruise to be used within 18 months.

I just want to re-book the cruise but just for my Mum and myself as my sister cannot come next time. It's an expensive flight from Australia and she isn't in the position to go again. I was told they would only allow my Mum's credit and my credit to be used and would not let us use the portion of the credit that belonged to my Sister as she wasn't coming. So we are out of pocket close to $800US which is about $1000 Australian due to their credit policy which has changed since the initial conversation. Just really disappointed that they care so little about their clients.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Western Caribbean Cruise - Sailed October 2 on Carnival Valor. Rough seas, so that was a bummer but hardly their fault. Food was good. Room was clean. Services were overall very good. Questions were promptly answered. Disputes were resolved quickly. The layout of this ship was a bit confusing compared to previous ship. Don't like the new app system. Entertainment was ok. But that's not why I cruise anyways. No problem finding peaceful places on deck to sit and watch the sea.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We had a good time regardless of how bad Carnival Cruise Lines treated us. I understand they changed our original itinerary because Irma destroyed the ports. They did not offer us any refund or credit. The line to get on the boat was ridiculous and took close to two hours to board. I am not a new cruiser so I am familiar with how long this should take.

They had no Bud Light on the first day while leaving port. Then we travel to Princess Cay which is a cruise ship island. A far trip from Saint Marteen. They only had three ferries trying to get 3500 people to shore. It went so bad they gave us a free beer at dinner. Now we move to day three. The food was not good. The steak was good and one guy who worked on the ship named Jason were the only people from Carnival that were a bright spot.

The rest of the services were not good. One young lady serving at the main pool second floor acted like I committed a crime for asking for a beer. The visit to Jamaica and the Cayman Islands were good. They had to cancel taking us to Cozumel because of the weather. I understand that but I paid for a cruise in 4 ports and 3 days at sea. They refunded us 10 dollars for the port fees that are usually higher when they are charging them. I got 3 port and 4 days at sea. They ran out of all beer but Heineken on the last sea day. They did not even discount the Heineken. Carnival is ok if the trip runs smooth but if something does not well forget you.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I booked a cruise on the Magic ship sailing out of Port Canaveral December 16, 2017 and didn’t pay my final amount until after Irma and Maria hit. I questioned the itinerary changing and I was told no, not a thing this time. However, Saturday night my sister (who isn’t even going on the cruise) received an email about a change in itinerary. It stated that instead of going to Dominican Republic, grand Turk, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas that we would be going to Dominican Republic, Grand Turk, Nassau Bahamas, and Freeport Bahamas.

My request when booking was that I didn’t stop at the Bahamas because I have been there twice and I really dislike it. I spent $4200 on this cruise. Everyone knows that a Bahamas cruise is not near as expensive as these other locations. I have reached out to Carnival and they said I could cancel but with them keeping $1,250 (which is stealing) for a penalty even though that isn’t what I booked. I also asked them to change my cruise and they also denied to do that as well. I also asked for a partial refund and they refused that also. I have sailed with Carnival 3 times in the past and this will be my 8th cruise total. I have never dealt with such a horrible situation in my life. Needless to say, do not EVER book with Carnival because they will put you on a crap cruise for big bucks!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I booked a cruise for October 15, 2017, leaving San Juan. We are less than a week away and I still have no confirmation as to whether we are going or not. I was also told that if we go, the itinerary will change because some locations were damaged by hurricanes but they cannot tell me where we are going or where we will be departing from. Flights in and out of San Juan are very limited so I don't want to change or cancel my flight. They won't refund my money, or put me on another cruise even when I offered to pay price difference!! Incredibly, Carnival is still booking our cruise, not letting people know it may get cancelled or that itinerary has changed. Don't use Carnival!!! You will regret it!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Due to the severe hurricane I live in Florida we cannot go on this cruise. We had no electric for 10 days and had lost everything. I've asked Carnival to give me my deposit back or else put the money towards a different cruise next year. I am shocked that they do not want to give us our money back. I've been on the calendar for years and years and I will never go on one of their ships again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017
    I have been on this cruise many times before but never had bedding with major stains on it that looked like vomit. It was so gross! It looked like our sheets from person on previous cruise were not changed. The hallways smelled of vomit and the our hallway had someone throw up and it was not cleaned for over an hour.

Food used to be really good but now it is just ok. Pizza had a weird watery cheese and food lacked taste. Our waiter Dennis was good and made the cruise more tolerable. Activities during the day are not very good but nighttime are ok. It is a filthy ship with most staff that do not seem to care about their job. So glad to get back home!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I'm 85 years old. My family took this cruise for family celebration. But everything turned to a nightmare for me. I aboard the ship on April 29. But On May 1st around 9:00 pm, while I was having my dinner at the Lido Marketplace, I slipped and fell on spaghetti tomato paste someone had poured on the floor a while ago. (No one clean it up for a quite while prior to my falling). I immediately passed out for several seconds and my left hip broken as the result of my fall. The cruise ship assigned me a case number of **. They wanted to close the case as soon as possible. Their lawyer had requested a detailed description of the incident. So I emailed a letter to the lawyer on July 20. Then followed up on Aug. 2 and Aug. 30 to check the status, but so far got no response, not a single word from the lawyer.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I recently returned from a cruise with Carnival aka "The Fun Ship" when the only thing fun was the Cruise Director MarQ. I brought my granddaughter as a gift for her birthday. I went to Guest Services to inquire about spending on the ship because I did not want her to incur charges that I had to pay for. I was advised that I could be a specific amount on her card and once that is used she would not be able to purchase anything else. I was awakened at 11:30 PM the night before we were scheduled to disembark and was told that she had gone to the spa and received treatment but did not have money on her card so I would have to pay for it.

I have emailed numerous times in regards to this issue and received no response. I have been left on hold for my whole lunch hour several days but never able to speak with anyone. It seems the only prompt they respond to is book a cruise. I finally spoke with someone and was told that because she was 21 years old and in the same cabin with me I am responsible. This makes absolutely no sense to me. They say one thing and do another.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Booked a flight through the Fly2Fun program. After not receiving a refund after 2 1/2 weeks I called. After several phone calls and way too much time on hold they told me it could be up to 5 more weeks. 2 months to get a refund when it only took 10 seconds to debit my card is ridiculous. Their customer service is not great either and it is hit or miss whether you get someone who is helpful.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

My husband and I were on a cruise to Cozumel Mexico. On our way back home to Mobile AL, I had gone to the bathroom. On the way back from there, there was some water on the deck where we were sitting at. While walking back from the bathroom, I slipped on the deck and did the splits and hurt my right leg. When I returned home, I didn't think anything of the pain and thinking that it was going to get better. It has been 6 weeks now since the cruise and the pain is getting worse. I have a hard time driving and sleeping. I have been going to physical therapy and doing pool therapy as well. I don't think it is helping me much. When I returned home from the cruise and called and complained, I was told that I would get a refund of only 100 for the incident. To me that is not acceptable.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I recently booked a cruise for two for the ship Carnival Magic leaving January 6th 2018. After booking my cruise the person that I was dating at the time I no longer am dating so I tried to change the name of somebody new to take. They informed me that I lose my deposit simply by only changing a name and a person. This is the first cruise I've ever taken. It is with a wedding party of 150 people. I would have understood to pay a penalty but to lose a $250 deposit by just switching personnel is totally unacceptable. I would have understood if I was canceling all together and I was even willing to pay a $50 fee for the switching of personnel. My advice just Future Sailors have your ducks in a row because Carnival Cruise Lines does not care about the customer or customer experience.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I traveled on a 8 Day Caribbean Carnival Sunshine Cruise out of New York on August 20th 2017. The first night we notice some strange noises coming out of the ceiling and the walls. It sound like someone walking on old wooden floors. All night all day, like a dripping faucet there was no relief as long as you were in the room the sound continued, day in day out. I complained to the steward who did nothing. I called guest services. A young man was sent who also experience the annoying sound and sent for engineering. Engineering took down a panel on the wall and lowered the bunk only to find out that the upper bunk was being used for storage of some old bed springs which warped the interior panels of the ceiling causing damage that created the noise.

Elba was sent up to help. She told me she would take care of it while I was at dinner. After dinner the problem was still there and I was told she was off for the night. Guest services told me to "Get some earplugs" which is ridiculous but I did and it did not help. IS THIS HOW YOU WOULD LIKE FOR YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN TO BE TREATED ON VACATION? This continued until I ended up in emergency because of lack of sleep, chest pains, headache and dizziness on the fourth morning before getting off the ship for a day.

Upon my return, I was again told to go to dinner and they would take care of it. OH KNOW that one sound very familiar. So I refused to leave until something was done. I was finally given another cabin. After having an anxiety attack, high blood pressure and sending my stress levels into the roof. There should have been a better way to handle this. I feel cheated and would like a full reimbursement.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

We all know that Hurricane Irma did damage in the Keys and Cuba. Our cruise for that destination would have been October 25, 2017. Carnival is still advertising this listing.... Knowing the ship is not going to the Keys or Cuba. And if you are like me... If we can not go to the those two areas, just give my money back. Since Carnival will not refund money, call your bank. You have not had an exchange of service...

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

My sister scheduled and paid over $800 to sail on the Carnival Magic in April (3 in a room) in a seniors group traveling together. She purchased the AON cruise insurance. But she had knee surgery 10 days before the cruise and had to cancel. Carnival only allowed a $179 cancellation "penalty" and AON only paid that, not the full fare she had paid. She and I spent over 20 minutes on hold waiting to speak to a real person 2 days ago and over 40 minutes on hold and a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes (most on hold) yesterday waiting for help with "Guest Services," only to be told Carnival will do nothing to help their guests. They ignore the language in their contract (the Guest Services people don't even know the language, I had to read it to her) and refused to help even though it would cost Carnival nothing to honestly reflect what my sister paid and lost.

Calling Carnival's Guest Services is a horrible waste of time. They have far too few people to serve the number of problems. When I asked the Guest Services person how many cruises they would see if a customer had to wait on the phone listening to their ads for 40 minutes before speaking to a person, she had no answer, just a half-hearted apology for the delay. Carnival obviously would rather sell than satisfy. They also try to get you to hang up rather than address their customer service survey that follows the call. After 105 minutes, most on hold, I told the lady to just end the call so I could address the survey. I added that I and my sister would never sail on Carnival again (3 past cruises, one in March, 2017).

I have filed a complaint with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and will address this horrible service in every possible way. Carnival is, in my opinion, just providing superficial "Guest Services" for appearance's sake and they take no action to help. Carnival must have a financial interest in AON by the way they favor the insurance company over their guests; so my strongest recommendation would be for everyone to sail another line and if you are stuck on Carnival don't waste their money on AON insurance. They also cheated her out of $70 on the port charges and tax refund but we got that straightened out.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My family is scheduled to be on the Victory leaving out of Miami on September 18, 2017. My mother who is 80 years old lives in Davie, Fl, lost her home due to Hurricane Irma, my brother who owns a business in Davie and has had to be closed due to no power, my sister that lives in Mt. Dora who has had no power, myself who has had no power and my other sister that lives in Sarasota who also lost power are being FORCED by Carnival to drive to Miami to get on a ship in an area that is not safe to travel to. Not to mention that there is no gas for those of us that do not live down south and have to drive to get there.

My son is in the Army Reserve and was activated and said it is not safe to drive into Miami. Our main concern as a family is to secure our mother's belongings and help her restart her life at the age of 80, not go on a cruise, oh and by the way one of the stops was to be Key West and they won't tell us what the plan is for substitution for that port.

We have decided as a family to cancel, Carnival has stated that the "BEST" they can offer is a future credit that we can use in the next 18 months. Do they really think that we will have our lives back together in 18 months. We need our money back to help buy our mother a new home NOW, not worried about a cruise. We have traveled with Carnival for many years, don't think it will ever happen again. If this is the way they treat loyal, return customers. This is in reference to booking Numbers: **

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

We set sail out of Port Canaveral 9/3/17 for a 6 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. Nassau, Grand Turk, Amber Cove. We knew the hurricane was brewing, but figured they'd cancel the cruise if they felt need be. Instead, they changed us to a Mexican cruise. Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya. This is the first upset as we are from Kansas- we would have ported out of Galveston for a Mexico cruise. Then we only made it to Cozumel, and Belize. When we boarded from Belize the captain decided to cancel Costa Maya to try and beat the stop back. Half way through the trek back, at 5pm ship time, they decided we would port in New Orleans to restock fuel and amenities.

We had until 10pm ship time to make arrangements and decide if we were staying on or getting off. With 3600 people trying to access phone and internet, it was impossible to make arrangements. We were stuck on the ship. They decided on 9/12 at 12:30 ship time to extend an offer of a 3 day Bahamas cruise if we wanted to stay on the ship even longer. All we had to do was pay the taxes. "You had until 2pm ship time to make your decision." We decided to get off the boat. We have missed work and a funeral of a family member passing. Carnival is refusing to compensate us for all the inconveniences as we "chose" to stay on the ship. We had no choice but to stay on the ship, and we definitely didn't want a Mexican cruise on top of paying for 3 ports and only getting 2.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Carnival Magic is by worst cruise I have been on with Carnival. I was set to travel Sept 3-Sept 6 from port Canaveral, I am from Tampa Fl 2hrs away. I just got back Sept 13th due hurricane Irma passed thru and I forced to wait until we arrive where my car was damaged due to hurricane, I confirmed before heading out 3 times if we will still go but I was worried on my safety and they stated yes and no refunds 15 mins before boarding. We did not go to Amber Cove, Grand Turks, Nassau Bahamas.. instead Cozumel, Belize. Then New Orleans due to running out of food and mechanical issue on the boat not going fast enough to reach port on Tuesday before closing and crazy thing my cousin just went to her cruise from the same port Tuesday.

Open regular timing as we were told it was closed... Lies after lies and rooms so hot and no accommodations for senior citizens wheel chair etc... No customer service. They don't want to take fault or try to correct issues and Ana in guest services hung up on me when complaining and charges I never signed for and Alicia and Kerri in Miami corp office are rude and don't care less how your trip went... This is supposed to be a new cruise. It has roaches in the hall way, this captain was going thru the hurricane. Everyone was sea sick throwing up everywhere. I missed 3 days of work and altercation occur in the guest services. I have videos on everything I'm writing. I wish I would of never boarded this ship. Other issues occur but this brief on what happened on my so called vacation! P.S No one has reached out to me, been waiting on a call back from a supervisor. Please reconsider when purchasing anything from Carnival!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My brother and I were scheduled to cruise from Galveston to Key West, and the Bahamas, on Carnival Freedom, Sept. 9-16, 2017. Then, "they" threw a hurricane in our path! Harvey "decimated" the Houston-Galveston area, right prior to our sailing date. Well, we were to travel all the way across Texas (we live in New Mexico), to get to Galveston. Roads screwed up!! We obviously could not get there. We thought for sure that the cruise would be cancelled. THEN, CAME HURRICANE IRMA, DESTROYING OUR DESTINATION POINTS. I call Carnival Sept. 13, and am told that "I am up ** creek!" - No refunds, or credit for future bookings - Carnival has not heard the last of me. IS THIS ANY WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS?! Sadly, I OWN 200 shares of this non-customer oriented corporation - I shall probably be selling in the near future.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My wife and I booked our vacations cruise aboard Carnival Splendor for September 14, 2017 and we planned to arrive to Miami September 11, 2017 from Nicaragua Central America. Our flight was cancelled due to hurricane Irma and the closure of the Miami International Airport on September 11, 2017 not getting flights available until September 18, 2017 reason why AVIANCA will make us a money reimbursement. As you can see there is no way for us to arrive to Miami the days before the Carnival Splendor departure scheduled for September 14, 2017 causing us to miss our vacations.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I planned to take my wife and parents on a 6-day cruise to Caribbean, but unfortunately Irma hit Florida hard and a lot of residents evacuated. Businesses are still closed and I don’t even know if people can even get gas at the gas stations. Our flights are a couple days away and the airport is still closed as of now. Now we live overseas and both of my parents are well over 70 years old, I really don’t want to fly them across Pacific Ocean to some place that is not even safe at the moment.

Carnival’s response is just “well too bad, you won’t get anything back if you don’t show up”. They are not thinking for a second that people pay good money, in my case well over 10k in total, to have a safe and enjoyable trip. Now I am not asking for refund because I understand that it’s a difficult time for everyone and they still have a business to run. Just a simple acknowledgment and maybe a future credit would be good enough for me. I would even be perfectly fine if they only give me a portion of the fare back as future credits.

But no, not Carnival, they acted like we did this on purpose. Please look outside, no electricity in many parts of the state, debris everywhere, water not safe to drink in some areas. Government officials are telling people to stay inside as much as possible. I am sure that the last thing the airport wants right now is bunch of tourists coming to the city during this early recovery stage. Friends from Miami are all advising me not to go and most of them haven’t had plans to go back home yet. I am very disappointed in Carnival. I actually recommended it to my many of friends and family, even organized a trip for my colleagues from the bank. But this will definitely be my last time doing business with Carnival.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

We was scheduled to leave September 9 on me and my wife first cruise. Well as everyone knows Hurricane Irma derailed that we was instructed we didn't need insurance because it only covered a family member passing away. Well turns out we did. This cruise line will not refund our money and as it looks right now it will probably be sometime next year before we can even get another cruise. We have already waited a year and a half. Didn't even offer us no deals accept our travel agent told us we could get a cruise in December at which time she told us our price had gone up. Wow what a cruise line we are dealing with. Thanks Carnival for a lovely experience.

But for the record I am here to tell you I will never sail with this cruise line again. And Carnival take a note from Royal Carribean. They offered their passengers 50 percent off to rebook. I know you can't control the weather but you can treat your customers way better. I feel like we got took advantage of because we did not have the insurance that we was told we did not need. We did not know no better because this was our first cruise but live and learn as we did this time. They're all nice when everything is clear sailing but when things turn bad these people won't lose a penny. Thanks Carnival for a great experience.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

We are supposed to leave from the Baltimore harbor aboard the Carnival Pride on Sunday, 9-10-17. Due to the hurricanes, they are rerouting us to Canada/New England. I didn't pay over $1000 to go to Canada. I think they should have cancelled the cruise. If you cancel, they will give you a cruise credit, but no money back. I paid for the insurance, but I guess it doesn't cover hurricanes. This is my first experience with Carnival, and probably my last. I know the weather isn't their fault, but it isn't the passengers’ fault either. We should be able to get a full refund.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I am scheduled to sail from Tampa to Cuba on September 7th 2017. Today is Sept 6. Carnival is refusing to cancel this cruise even though the Cat 5 hurricane is going to directly hit Cuba on the day we are suppose to be there. As of this morning the cruise port in Havana is closed until at least Sept 10th. We are supposed to arrive on September 8th! Carnival is saying they are still sailing to Havana, even though my two tour guides in Havana confirmed port is closed and Cuban government will allow no one out on the roads.

Carnival is going to wait until passengers arrive at port of Tampa before disclosing that they will not be able to go to Cuba. They will reroute to somewhere in Mexico and refuse to cancel this sailing even though the one and only port on this trip is CUBA! Additionally they have no guarantee that they can dock back in Tampa on Sept 11th because they do not know the path of this catastrophic storm. I have been victimized by Carnival rerouting in the past but to not disclose and not offer refunds when they are fully aware that the port is closed is a complete scam.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

When booking my cruise, I advised Carnival that I had necessary medical equipment. Once in my room, I discovered there was no usable outlet to plug in my device. They offered to string together multiple extension cords, which would run across the floor, past the balcony door. This might create an electrical fire, destroy my equipment, and cause a tripping hazard, as I am a senior citizen. Carnival had no other room available, and since I felt unsafe, I was told I could leave the ship before sailing. The toilet was unclean and the seat was loose. The bathtub paint was peeling and flaking, and they offered to scrape the paint off. Carnival claims to have a Satisfaction Guarantee, but are refusing to honor it.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Vacation on Carnival Victory - Was served moldy rolls by a company that raves about food quality and top notch customer service, they replaced the food with once again MOLDY food!!! Food director was supposed to get in contact with me, I went twice to get answers on this health issue. Guest services and customer service for Carnival Cruise Lines is terrible. Spent over an hour on the ship waiting in line at guest services. Spent 40 minutes on phone with customer service. Vacation huh?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Carnival cruise Paradise Western Caribbean trip from Tampa - The ship was dirty, the food in the dining room was terrible, Pool was dirty. No adult pool, said there was, but there was kids in it. Changed the destination of the cruise 24 hours into the trip saying that the engine would not go fast enough. They were supposed to go to the Grand Cayman and instead took us to Costa Maya Mexico. We came to find out the same ship has been doing this since March. Costa Maya had nothing to do, our and many other of our fellow passenger's excursions were canceled. We were told we could not go to the Beach because it was sold out. We were given a 25 credit from Carnival for the destination change for our inconvenience.

I called Carnival when I got home to complain and the representative said I should have read my terms and conditions that the Captain can change destinations any time he sees necessary due to mechanical failure or weather. I replied "But Paradise has been diverting from the Cayman islands since March." She replied, "Not every time since March." That boat was going much faster after we left Costa Maya. It did not seem like they had any trouble getting that engine to go at a desired speed. Felt completely taken for granted and unheard. Would never travel on Carnival again. They do not treat their staff well either.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

So my family and I decided a year ago to go back to Carnival. They announced this new exciting ship (Vista) and we wanted to give it a try against my better judgment, but mainly due to the itinerary. I had not been on Carnival for over 3 years and the last 2 sailings with them, I swore them off but always went against my memory of them. At any rate decided this would be worth a try to do a new ship, new attitude. Well let me first say this was my worst sailing to date. It started from the point of check in.

My husband and I are priority boarding but my family and friends were not to include my 2 young grandchildren. The check in process is messy, unorganized and frustrating. The lines are ridiculously long with no system or organization. You check in in the front area and proceed nearly to the ship where you are made to wait in a single boarding line whether you want to take this welcome aboard picture or not. We were all told to stay in this line. This line is also after you stand outside to enter terminal for over 1 hour. We get through this line finally allowed to board ship and 1000 people all in the atrium waiting to go up to rooms.

Don't bother trying to get elevator, it will never go smooth. We get to our deck it's 1:30 and rooms were still being cleaned. The smell of sewer reeked the entire cruise. This was a problem in the past with multiple Carnival sailings, so I'm to the point that they have a poor sewer system (never smell this on other cruise lines). My sodas were taken because I didn't know about the no bottles policy. Again haven't sailed in 3 years. Totally my fault. I went to buy a soda card, was told I couldn't have the can for my soda. Soda package almost $70 per person and I can't have the can. Each soda is placed in their glasses. The policy allows you to bring soda cans on board but the atrium bar wont' give you the can. I cancelled this package immediately. (went to other bars on ship and was sold soda $2.25 per CAN plus 15% gratuity, no consistency.

The ship is nice looking, but very small to accommodate 5,000 guests. Every line, every day was long and exhausting. By day 5 I wasn't eating things I wanted but choosing to eat by which line was shorter. Pizza line is absolutely dreadful. They make approximately 9-12 pizzas at a time but each guest is requesting about 2-4 slices which equals 1 pizza. I literally waited 40 minutes one night for 2 slices of pizza but because this was the only option for 11pm, no choice. The burger line does move pretty fast if they have their preps done. the Deli Sandwiches are awesome but the line can also be overwhelming and a long wait.

When in port of calls especially Grand Turk, the line is all the way to the end of the pier honestly and it's 1 line. My father in law 74 years old was literally exhausted in the line and NO WATER at any points of this line at this port, it was the WORST set up ever. The cruise director literally made an announcement prior to getting off the ship that morning that the lines would be dreadful when we returned. My thinking is if you know this, then why are they NOT better prepared for this catastrophe. So if I had to go back to this port, I'd chose to stay on the ship. The other ports of call weren't as bad but of course the port where there isn't a problem with lines had plenty of water available.

So backwards. Back on ship, staff was not friendly. The attitudes were matter of fact. I am not used to crew not speaking and not accommodating, however the cruise director was great and entertaining. Comedy shows were ok, casino has machines that says "no smoking" but why bother the place is so congested. The machines that says "no smoking" are right across from those that allow smoking. It makes no sense, but understandably it's a casino and this is expected. The barbecue spot is a very nice touch, along with the serenity deck. The pools on the other hand are not enough for the ship's capacity.

Each day, all day the 2 pools on this 5,000 passenger ship were overcrowded. Don't bother trying to swim, barely enough room to put your feet in. The outdoor movie setting was nice and so was the IMAX theatre. One suggestion, change the movies after day 3 especially if you are charging $12.95 per person. We decided to try the Italian restaurant on the captain's sample lunch, nice restaurant great atmosphere, good food, but don't go during lunch. The basketball court is right above the restaurant, so the sounds of the ball and running is constant, spoils the ambiance, so go at night when court is closed.

Signed my granddaughter up for camp, approximately 8:30 pm on last night my daughter got a text that my grand daughter had been signed out. This created panic since none of us had been to get her. We all rushed to the 11th deck to the camp only to be told it was an accident, someone had accidentally hit the sign out button. Major mistake on a cruise ship. Next cruise desk, is literally a desk in the corner on Lido. I personally was not looking to book another Carnival Cruise, but was looking to speak with this person for a family member who is interested in sailing. Once I finally spoke with Christie, she was useless and I'm guessing from first impression overwhelmed. She made no suggestions, didn't have recommendations also just matter of fact personality.

Carnival also had taken my heating pad which I brought along because I recently was injured in car accident. Went down to guest services to inquire why this was taken and was told because it could potentially start a fire. This is understandable but curling irons could start a fire as well as all electronics. Then they returned the heating pad to me on the last day of the sailing which I was very relieved because the beds are so uncomfortable this was a needed relief, but hey it could have started a fire this day as it could have the entire sailing. So this was a poor reason for taking it in the first place. If you are a fan of AC, then you are in trouble, the rooms are very uncomfortable at night. I actually felt OK but it was noticeable that the ac units are on some kind of timer at night that raises the temps in the room.

My husband needs a cool room and it was never that, knowing this I brought a fan which was also taken and returned to me on last day. Back to the appearance of ship, I was disappointed that this being a new ship, the stairwell and hallways remained dirty. Carnival really needs to put a policy in place that disallows guest to put out their dirty dishes in the hall. I took pictures of how the hallways were cluttered day and night with guest putting their dishes outside of their rooms. If this is to be allowed then staff should make rounds to the floors hourly because those trays and dishes stayed in the hall between the late morning room cleaning until the evening turn down cleanings, what an eye sore.

We made it through this sailing, thankful for the beautiful ports of call. If it was not for the amazing stops, this would have been a disaster. Curacao and Aruba were the best gorgeous with the best beaches. We get back to Miami and just when I thought nothing else could ruin this trip, debarkation was the WORST!!! They throw your luggage on a conveyor belt and you have to get from there. We were priority but we waited for our family to get called down and literally this luggage is thrown on this belt. It took almost an hour to get all bags, their decks were called to be there so the bags should have been there.

We almost missed the shuttle service that was waiting for us. When I say I will not be returning to Carnival I mean just that. Had I not experienced some of these issues in the past, I'd say "hey this was just this cruise," but nope I think this is the Carnival way!!! At several points early in the sailing, I actually thought maybe it's me, but as I mingled and conversed with other guests their issues were the same as mine were. Carnival please do better, I am platinum because you used to care!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Carnival Vista Cruise August 2017 - As a gold member with 53 Carnival cruise days just got back from 8 day Miami-Aruba cruise. The ship's decor was new and modern, but nice. The pros was that the food was clean and well executed. The staff interaction (friendly) was also great. The Cruise Director was great. Not overwhelming. My wife and I both agree on this. The rear pool was ok till some kids were cannon balling and shooting water pistols -- but was not a big deal -- they were kids. A Serenity would work better instead of a private Cuban pool -- my two cents.

What was unacceptable was blasting gangster music from personal boom boxes during outdoor movie. Also same group dashing thru deck level back and forth thru movie watchers. Loud screaming from this group of 8-9 at bar with racial comments, ** crackers etc. No security in sight. This got worse as the Cruise was ending (sea days). On the last night I lost track of my Carnival Card at lobby bar after have my first alcoholic beverage of the day. I tried calling services desk to no avail recording. At guest services was just talking to services lady. Was just telling her lost my card, with that the same ill manner group started screaming "** BARNEY CUTTING THE LINE" and rushed the desk. The service lady was apparent scared and just said, "You have to get on the line." With that one loud mouthed 25-30 year old said "I got a problem with you." I explained was not cutting line just looking for advice.

A service man came to desk and I told him I lost my card and did not want account emptied (unauthorized). I was instructed to go back on line to get new card. While waiting for card 3 of the same group came over and one behind me and two flanking my front. I moved with my back to the wall. Glad my wife went up to room while I went to deal with card issue. Thugs walking around with gym shorts hanging with underwear butts harassing is unacceptable. I grew up in Brooklyn NY and there all races got along. At 66 years old will not put me or my family at risk. With gangster types threatening and harassing. The large group was revoking their tips for the most part as I observed. I did not reclaim my tips as the service staff was not at fault. No more for us!!

Carnival Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.
    • Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.
    • Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.
    • Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.
    • Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.
    • Best for: The Carnival Cruise liner is best for budget-aware cruisers and families.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs