2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.40/5

Carnival Cruise Lines Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

In the past years I’ve been fortunate enough to cruise six times with Carnival Cruise Lines. I can honestly say I had no bad experiences with the staff or any of the personnel. They were all very professional, courteous, happy to help In any way they could to make my experience as fulfilling as they possibly could. The entertainment was always spot on In my opinion. The bands were top-notch, and played really good dance music. The food was always excellent, prepared as if you were dining in a five-star hotel, or if you would rather kick back with a more laid-back dining experience you could hang out at the bar or around the pool and eat fresh barbecue off of the grill, or have a pizza made to order.

Now I am only one person, and mine is one opinion, and experience, But I can assure you I’m not the only one that feels this way about Carnival. I made some really good friends that I’ve kept in contact with through the years that live across the country from me, and I can assure you they are of the same opinion as l. Trust me when I say, you can’t go wrong cruising with Carnival Cruise Lines!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

This was my first time on any cruise. I chose Carnival because my boyfriend has went on them once with his family. From start to finish the customer service was incredible. Whatever you need the staff will do for you. Always friendly and polite and so helpful. If you’re a fan of the casino there are some wonderful staff members who made our experience great (even when we started losing lol). Koketso is one of the casino bosses. He is a stand up man. He’s very friendly and funny. We received a few seat certifications from him for hands we got in the game. Some of the dealers we loved were Fernando and Kopano! They were nice guys! Fernando is a cowboys fan, but we let that one slide!

So many bartenders. All fast and friendly service. One who stuck out named Joel **, we saw him earlier in the day once and then late at night in the casino and he remembered our drinks before we even said anything to him! We dined at 8:15 pm and our team was SPECTACULAR. Their names were Jino, Bhiku, Sedana and Inoyman. I’ve never had waiters ever before anywhere as amazing as these guys were. I was having an issue with my teeth and chewing and Bhiku brought me mashed potatoes as a side even though they weren’t on the dining menu. I really appreciated that. They were super funny with their jokes. Anything you could possibly need they would do for you. Checked on food. Brought two different entrées out for my boyfriend to eat. Dessert was delicious. They all danced and sang for the shows and they did great!

Due to a slight injury I didn’t partake in activities such as bingo and dancing like I wish I could have but the girl who announced everything No-No (not sure on spelling) she was so fun and lively and entertaining! Last but certainly not least the housekeeping team! Gerry was in charge of the cleaning for our room/floor. The bartenders would swipe your cards and give them back and use your name. Gerry knew our names every time he saw us though! He was so friendly. The room was always spotless clean with fresh towels and towels made into animals. I don’t know how many people Gerry is in charge of but he’s doing an amazing job with all of them. We appreciated their work.

One negative part of my trip is that I had to use the medic, but the staff down there was wonderful. Dr. Natalia is a very nice woman. The other person I remember was the nurse named Pink, she’s very bubbly and happy and cheerful. Although my experience with the medic team did not help/solve my medical issue at all, the staff was still fantastic and helped me as much as they could. Overall wonderful and I will be booking another one again soon!

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I had a marvelous time on my Carnival Cruise. I went to St. Thomas Virgin Island Puerto Rico and we had to bypass the Bahamas due to the Red Sea being rough. I did have motion sickness my first 2 days but eventually, I got with the program. The entertainment was awesome. There were shows and disco dancing, swimming, games an all day and night buffet. The people were great. My room was fantastic. My partner was the love of my life. He has since passed away and I've so far haven't been able to find a worldly man like him. I've been searching but they don't build whole men like him anymore. I was able to take my smoke but had to flush what I didn't smoke because of having to go thru customs on the trip home. We flew to Florida from Maryland. I had an entire new wardrobe and I looked fabulous. You should enjoy Carnival Cruise Lines. I can vouch for them. Safe travels. God speed.

Original review: July 25, 2019

My wife and I have cruised 11 times with Carnival, with 2 more coming up this year (2019) and next year. Then, we'll be ready to be Platinum guests. We had 1 problem, on one of the earlier cruises, concerning the casino, which was sorted out and actually proved to be our fault in not knowing how to use our Sign and Sail cards. All in all, we have nothing but good to say about the service, food, cleanliness and friendliness of the ship and its crew members, and I am talking about at least 8 of the ships that we have been on. My wife is allergic to garlic, and the restaurant staff bends over backwards to serve her meals prepared just for her with no garlic. Sometimes, you will meet with a crew member who is short with you, but they are only human and have their off days too, just like us. We will continue to sail with Carnival because we know that we will get the best value for the money spent on any cruise with them.

Original review: July 7, 2019

This was our second Carnival cruise on June 29th, 2019 from Charleston, SC. on board the Carnival Sunshine for 5 nights. It was just as much fun as our first a couple years ago on the Carnival Liberty out of Port Carnival. We had balcony rooms both times. No issues with air conditioning or cabin problems. The food was great every night in the dining areas. Different menus every night and we ate in the dining room every night. I like they don't give you too big of proportions so you have room for desert.

I did the 20 dollar upcharge for surf and turf two nights. Had no need to got to the three upcharge restaurants. They were never sold out since they announced opening every night over the PA system. They were small too so don't think they will last. Guy’s Burger were great. Also had a barbecue in one of the pubs we just ran into. The serenity end of the ship is great with no kids allowed. Me and the wife are empty nesters now but do miss not having the kids around. The comedians were great but need to get to the shows early to get a seat. We did Disney last year and yes the shows and food are better but not for almost double the price of a Carnival cruise.

We got free water in our cabin for being second time cruises, I brought a 6 pack of Coke in cans and a bottle of wine I never even opened. You can get milk and chocolate milk at the buffet and put it in you refrig in your room if you have a balcony room. They have plenty of lemonade and ice tea dispensers around if you’re thirsty. Free ice cream machines too. Drinks are about 22 dollars for two. We had Piña coladas most of the time. We also did behind the scenes tour which we loved. Expensive but enjoyed it. Hope that helps.

Tony and Bonnie from New Jersey

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Ship was broken. Could not dock at any booked ports. Ship rocked giving you a sick feeling for two days. This was the first and last cruise for us. They said we would get a refund but aint seen it. The ship was Carnival elation.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

This was my very first cruise I booked with some friends, I booked later then them so I got my own stateroom. We were very excited for this cruise and to start getting to the ship and boarding was very quick and painless. Once aboard and while the other guest boarded we set out to check out the ship. The interior of the ship was awesome. I felt like royalty! So when we finally set sail and as we got up to speed the ship started to bob around like a jet ski and as we got further out to sea it got worse. I myself didn't have the seasickness. 3 of my friends (2 of my friends were stuck in their beds the whole next day) a lot of the other passengers were also getting seasick. Many people including myself were having trouble walking straight (without alcohol) and the second night wasn't much better.

The noises and vibrations coming from the ship were crazy. I woke up sometime in early morning to very loud noise almost sounded like we hit something! Day 3 first port of call Amber Cove, Dominican Republic everybody couldn't wait to get off. Right about the time we were scheduled to port the captain come over intercom and told us that during the night we had "technical issues" with the ship that they were unable to fix and that we couldn't dock. They gave us a refund to our sail and sign acct. of $50 plus port fee so basically $70 plus excursion fees if any were prebooked and that tomorrow we would still go to Grand Turks!

Well the next morning we arrived and we got very close to island but again the captain said that due to high winds after 4 attempts we unfortunately weren't able to dock there. Either they again gave you another $50 plus excursion fee and told us they were able to get a spot for us to stop on the way back to Port Canaveral in Nassau, Bahamas which we were finally able to dock. But after getting everyone situated for our new excursions plus a 30hr boat ride to and from the excursion we ended up with about 4 hrs off ship since we had to be back at ship before 5pm to sail out, and our taxi boat dropped us off in downtown Nassau, a longer walk back to ship. Not very well planned.

Our last night on the ship was much better though. All in all the staff was very accommodating and friendly even having to deal with very upset passengers and having to work even harder since they had no breaks either. Disembarkment day was a absolute ** show as we were to be out of our staterooms by 9am. Everyone gathered near the atrium and it took forever to get ship tied up and they started calling deck numbers but as people were antsy to get off the ship this made getting off the ship very lengthy.

I even had to call my rental car company to extend my reservation and even with that we almost missed it, getting through customs and boarder patrol (and don't get me wrong, I completely understand their jobs and my hats off to all the men and women who protect this country of our) but it sucked as we came off ship we were directed by Carnival personnel to corral like cattle heading to slaughter house and even thought they tried to keep families and groups together my party was separated twice which added more time waiting for the others to catch up! All together the trip sucked, people were edgy.

I fortunately was able to enjoy the rest of my vacation in Florida but my first stop to the Kennedy space center was limited because of the B.S. getting off the ship but oh well I guess. Thanks carnival for wasting my money and time. I am glad to say that this will note to me from future cruises just NEVER ON A CARNIVAL CRUISE EVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

We were a group of ten people and not one of us will ever sail Carnival Cruise again. They are thieves and liars. The Elation didn't make the two destinations it was suppose to on between January 11 and January 17 2020 due to engine problems again. Not the first time this ship breaks down. Last time this happened people were reimbursed 100 dollars per stop. We got 50$ per stop. When we called the head office they said, "Sorry that's all you are getting". What thieves. Please help make people aware of carnival's lack of professionalism and care for people's safety. Money first safety last. The ship is old, dirty, rusty and smelly.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

My two best friends and I planned a Birthday trip for this cruise back in August. All of our birthdays are in January and the destinations (Dominican Republic & Turks and Caicos) seemed so perfect. Everything was going smoothly up until the very first night. We experienced extreme rockiness aboard the ship. The ship was making very unusual sounds that had many of us scared. This was my 3rd cruise and I had never heard anything like it. The director of the cruise failed to update us on these weird sounds. Throughout our first night, at about 12am we heard scraping sounds and the ship began to shake. We were absolutely terrified but thankfully, the noise and shaking eventually stopped.

By Monday morning, the captain notified us through the speakers that we would not be able to make it to Dominican Republic due to the engine having problems. The speed of the boat slowed down tremendously and there was no way we're going to make it to our destination in time. We were outraged. We had excursions planned for Atv riding and Ziplining. This was going to be the highlight of our trip, and missing out on it due to their own error was uncalled for. However, they let it be known that we would be refunded for all excursions. Carnival also mentioned that we will receive $50 in return which is absolutely ridiculous!!

Tuesday morning comes. We reach Grand Turks as promised. The captain gets on the speaker to notify us that the wind is too strong and we will not be able to go to Grand Turks. You can only imagine everyone’s reaction to hearing about a cancellation twice in a row. We were heartbroken. We were livid and didn’t want to believe this was actually happening to us. We took time off work. We scheduled flights. We planned everything extensively. All of our money went to waste and all Carnival wanted to offer us for a second cancellation, was another $50!! They expressed time and time again that it was due to the strong winds that we couldn’t dock, but we all know for sure it didn’t have anything to do with the wind. It was without a doubt, their poorly made engine.

We were stuck on the boat for 4 days and we felt as though we were being treated unfairly. Everyone on the ship absolutely deserves a Free Cruise. The captain made a decision to dock at the nearest location for the next day, which was the Bahama. Thankfully we actually made it there and off the boat...because by this time, no one wanted to believe a word they were saying after being let down 2 times in a row. We were being lied to. They stated that we couldn’t get a refund because it was due to the weather which is out of their control. I spoke with Jen, the director of the ship. She stated that it’s in the fine print of not being able to receive a Refund. I told her I understand that part, but what about the engine?? I asked her is that in fine print too? Because the engine has absolutely nothing to do with us. That is on their part. The engine was suffering due to human error. When I asked her that question, she did not have an answer for it.

The very same day the captain told us we couldn’t dock to Grand Turks due to strong wings, that night, being on the ship felt like a nightmare. I was dozing off in bed when it began to shake tremendously. All the champagne glasses in our room and everything on the counters rattled viciously. I was having a nervous breakdown. I was palpitating because I was fearing for the worst. I just knew we weren’t going to make it home. I was in such distress, it took me forever to fall back to sleep. Once again, this has been the worst cruise experience for me and I would not wish this on anyone. There was many people on the ship cruising for the very first time. My best friend was one of them and I hate that they had to go through this for their first experience. It was very traumatizing.

The last thing I want to mention was how the Director of the ship, Jen, appeared to not have any concerns for the people who simply wanted more out of this horrible situation. Carnival set up a Q & A where all passengers got to meet in the theater and ask any questions they had about what had just occurred with the canceling of our destinations. Jen’s attitude was very unpleasant. She was being sarcastic and nonchalant when it came time for her to answer any questions. I was in shock because this didn’t seem like the same upbeat, lovable person who was dancing, hosting, and entertaining passengers just hours before. Everyone who was onboard Carnival Elation January 11-16 most certainly, deserves a free cruise after what we endured!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

We paid for a 5 day cruise to Mexico from 1/7/20 - 1/11/20 with 2 stops and ended up at sea for 4 days and had one day in Mexico because we had to turn the boat around. We were not compensated even though we didn’t get what we paid for (2 full days in Mexico). We asked guest services what time our excursion starts in Progreso and they told us the wrong time so we completely missed our excursion at the only destination we were able to go to. They ruined both destinations for us both without compensation.

The beds are advertised as king sized but are two twins pushed together without proper sheets and bedding on them, they constantly slip apart and it’s impossible to sleep. The food was terrible and even at the restaurant with a dress code was cold/frozen and tasted disgusting. The water tasted terrible and anything that wasn’t “tap” water cost an arm and a leg. The entertainment was terrible, the dude playing the piano constantly played wrong notes and didn’t know the melodies of songs he said he knew how to play.

When I called support after the cruise they said there was absolutely nothing they could do about compensation and all they could do was file a complaint in the system that no one will ever look at anyways. The people who cleaned rooms would barge in even if a do not disturb sign was on the door. Never go on Carnival...ever.

Not sure about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Carnival Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.

• Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.

• Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.

• Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.

• Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.

• Best for: The Carnival Cruise liner is best for budget-aware cruisers and families.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team