3.46/5

1440 Carnival Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

Worst. Cruise. Ever. My third overall, first on Carnival. I took the Sunshine cruise from NYC to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and finally to Nassau 6/28/17-7/6/17. Starting from the beginning: Checking in in NYC took an hour. The line snaked around inside the port 5 times over. They supposedly allow you to check in online for a specific time slot to lessen wait time. Baloney. It was a free for all and chaotic. I feel like I'm on the cruise for Section 8/Welfare recipients. Most of the other customers are either poor ** trash or enormous Jerry Springer-type **. Either way, they're loud, obnoxious and discorteous. Not the type of people I would pay over $4000 to travel with in close quarters for 8 long, torturous days straight.

Everywhere you go, there is a crowd of people. EVERYWHERE. You can't go anywhere outside your own cabin, for peace and quiet. In addition to the crowds, there is loud, terrible teeny-bopper music. It is an impossibility to sit peacefully, quietly by the pool and reflect or read a book, because they're always playing loud, awful music and/or there's a DJ screaming into a mic encouraging drunk people to get up, dance, and act like fools.

The buffet is like feeding-time at the zoo: unless you can get up and dressed by 6:30 am, you are sure to have to fight and push your way to the buffet in order to fill your plate with terrible scrambled eggs, etc. The coffee always tastes like it's been sitting in the pot for about 2 days, and then heated up and served to us. Your best bet is to eat and run, quickly.

Grand Turks: we did an excursion of snorkeling and catamaran ride. This was nice. They then took us to a private beach but only allowed us to swim for about 20 minutes. Again, the captain insisted, for reasons I can't understand, to play loud-** music and encourage silly drunk ** folks to try to dance. It was really quite embarassing. I was hoping and expecting a nice quiet catamaran ride. Nope.

Half Moon Cay: first of all, the ship can't dock near the shore so they herded us onto smaller boats that sidled up to the ship. Well, they first gave out numbers on stickers, i.e. 1-50, and called one or a couple of numbers at a time to board the little boat. We had number 22. It took an hour from the time they handed out the number, to let us board. After getting to the island, they had hundreds of chaise longues, but alas, no umbrellas and only a handful of shade covers for oh, nearly 5,000 people. So you either had to burn in the sun or walk half a mile up the beach to find a tree to lie under, like I did. More loud music here, too.

Nassau: we did no excursions, no more beach - we were sun - and beach-phobic by this time. Too much sun. We instead opted for a tour in an air conditioned van with about 10 other tourists, driven by a local who was very charismatic, funny and talkative. He showed us the Supreme Court building, the Governor's mansion, poor neighborhoods, rich neighborhoods, stopped at a bodega for anyone to get beer or what-not, showed us the Queen's Stairs. All in all, it was about a 2 1/2 hour tour. No loud music, very pleasant. Worth the $30/person.

We had the displeasure of rooming next to some loud people who felt that the best time to talk to each other as if they were at a rock concert, was around 1:30 in the morning. I'm not a senior citizen, I'm 44 years old, but I go to bed early and like to remain sleeping until the morning when I naturally wake up. By the second night of their **, I was forced to call security. The third night we were awoken to what I can only describe as what sounded like someone ran and jump-kicked our cabin door - at 1:30 am. It scared the hell out of us. Then about 10 minutes later someone came banging on our door, and on the doors of the people near us. It was really quite frightening.

Our cabin was on the 10th floor which is the spa "Cloud 9" floor. As soon as we settled into our room once we boarded, they asked if we wanted to go on a tour of the spa, which turned out to be nothing more than a sales pitch. We got about 45 seconds into the "tour" before we realized that it was the equivalent of a Time-Share sales pitch and promptly got the hell out. Needless to say, if you're between the ages of 16 and 30, like to drink all day and night, love loud, horrible Justin Bieber-type music and/or worse, current rap music, just love being around a whole bunch of Bed-Stuy/Harlam residents, then, by God, this is the cruise for you!

Original review: April 21, 2019

We have cruised with Carnival Cruise Lines multiple times; please allow us to share a few observations. A. Rudeness is a 2 way street usually initiated by an irate passenger. B. Rudeness is a 2 way street usually initiated by an irate passenger. C. Rudeness is a 2 way street usually initiated by an irate passenger.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We had our wedding on the carnival horizon. The wedding and cruise itself was good, however, we paid for our wedding pictures, we paid and picked up our photos and video before disembarking. We get home, have our family and friends together as we start to view our wedding video and find that it belongs to another couple. We were married February 2019 and it is now April. We have called dozens of times, spent endless hours on the phone, being told different stories, bounced around and told that it will take 4 to 6 weeks over and over again. To date we do not have our WEDDING VIDEO!!! We paid a lot of money because we also wanted our video and we don't have it. They have not made things right. We just want our wedding memories and nothing. They have turned what was a beautiful time into a nightmare. Very upset and can't believe how we keep getting the runaround.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Unknowing of where to send people for drop off. (Wrong ways, old man jumped in front of car to stop it, rude employees at baggage handling). Upgraded to a king bed, they just pushed two twin beds together. Ship has unbearable Sewage smell. Couldn’t even enjoy main bar on inside. Did not get to experience more than one photo scene due to sewage smell.

Bathroom also had sewage smell at night time causing Chardena to throw up twice. Backed up water was coming from the shower bathroom floor drain. Plumber covered up drain with a towel to stop overflow of water. The morning after the toilet would not flush for two hours. Am being a young lady who menstruates, that is very embarrassing for me to have to tell my spouse to use a different bathroom because the toilet is full of waste.

Purchased wifi on day one. Wifi did not work. Was told to find a good spot. My cabin was Stationed on the back of the boat, wifi maybe worked on the front of the boat. The middle and front of the boat reeked of sewage. The track and golf area reeked of pee. Stepped in throw up on and off of the elevator. I have also had to accommodate myself by spraying massive amounts of perfume and air fresheners to make myself and my spouse halfway comfortable.

I am at this point unhappy with the cruise I experienced this year. These problem will definitely cause me not to return or recommend others for the “Carnival Cruises” period. I am very unhappy because I was unable to experience the ENTIRE ship due to sewage smell. The crew members tried to cover the smell with a very strong air scent but it just mixed together. The middle and forward part of the ship smelled just like a nursing home. I had to spend more money off of the ship than expected trying to accommodate myself for lost relaxation onboard. I have been on Carnival cruises before and I have grown to know what is offered and what to expect.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Carnival is awful!!! Only good thing about this cruise was the food!! The beds are 2 twins pushed together. Never got A good night's sleep. Everything closes wayyy too early!!!! Went to go play mini golf at 8 pm closed. My 13 year old was sooo bored on this cruise. The toilets got backed up. The smell was awful!!!! Definitely my 1st & last cruise.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: April 15, 2019

Wanted to have a great vacation to the Bahamas. Took the Ecstasy from Charleston because it was convenient and close. It was a 5 day cruise. 3 of the 5 days they worked on construction outside of our room. Could not sleep and it was intolerable to stay in our room. Also toilets were backed up, up and down our floor. Had to keep doors open into the hallways because of the smell. Excursion was horrible. Money was refunded for that. Contacted customer service on board, as well as from home after returning. They offered us 15 percent off of our next cruise with them. NO THANK YOU. Buyer beware! Horrible experience and FINAL cruise with Carnival.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Just came off 7 day cruise realizing Carnival wants to really bore you into spending money on their bingo, spa, photos buying jewelry and ultimately blow all your money in their casino. If you look at daily events nothing last over hour. Karaoke maybe 2 hours. You sleep 8 hours and are up 16. 30 minute trivia, towel folding and Yahtzee just don’t seem to be the party atmosphere. The Caribbean folk drums. And twin violinist are all things for old folks homes. You expect a spring break kinda of fun and Carnival does not seem to have it. Oh almost forgot you can pay for a movie at their New IMAX theater. Oh wait you can do most of these things at home for free. Very sad.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My husband, 70 years old, took a fall. Husband fell backwards and hit his head in the pool area. Laid on the deck for 20 min with no medical response. Pool manager responded but merely made a phone call, never addressed us. Other passengers assisted until Carnival housekeeping brought a wheelchair up from deck 6 and they wheeled him to the clinic. We begged for assistance for 20 min but none came. In the clinic they wanted to run all kinds of tests that we were told we would need to pay for and bill our insurance later, ourselves. 2 Drs and 4 nurses cover the 24 hours each day for 3,000 passengers and 1100 staff. Poorly managed situation.

Original review: April 4, 2019

My daughters and I are still on the Carnival Inspiration now on April 4, 2019. This is our first cruise trip, and my husband can’t be with us now because he is working overseas right now. My intention was to try a short cruise trip during my daughters’ spring break. So far overall is a nightmare. Yesterday after we came back from Ensenada Mexico City and Shopping Tour and cleaned up, my daughters changed a beautiful blue dresses about 4:20PM.

We were trying to playing 30 mins mini golf then go for dinner. We got to mini golf on the 14th deck with the left side of the stairs. The mini golf balls and clubs were hanging on the wall on our right side about 5-6 feet away. My daughter ran to pick up a golf ball then waited for her turn to get a mini golf club. My daughter is 3’9”, and she was hit by an above 10 years old boy with mini golf club (which is aluminum stick with heavy plastic head). How high this boy swing was able to hit my daughter’s middle of the chest.

We I asked the boy where his parents were. He responded that he didn’t know for trying to get away. I took pictures of him and his name tag, then ran a floor lower at SPA for security. She took me to Guest Service, where a staff called a security. Main time, this boy’s father ran to me and yelled if I took his son’s picture. I responded that I definitely took his picture because he said he didn’t know where his parents were. You would not get away from this matter.

A security finally came, and he walked away with this guy first. When the security guy finally came to me, he just directly said it was an accident. I was mad and crying. How could you treat a mother with two 6 years old girls like this? It’s because my husband is not able to be with me at that moment. I asked for medical check up for my daughter. When we went to Deck 3 medical center, a nurse checked my daughter’s chest. Since my daughter was still in pain, the nurse said that I needed to apply the ice pad and pain relief medicine for my daughter. After the check up, the security came back and asked me if I wanted to sue this boy’s parents. If I wanted to, they would call Ensenada Mexico local police and we would have to get out of the ship and go with the local police. I was frighten and felt hopeless.

We are still on the cruise now. I hope my daughters and I will be safely back to Long Beach Port. This is the first and the last of our cruise trip. I will never take my babies to cruise trip ever. Because anything happens, you will not able to go anywhere. You are hopeless on the ship in the ocean. What can you do? Nothing! Do you want to go back home? If yes, you must take this ** with you and keep your mouth shut because you don’t know what will happen. Are they going to leave you at the foreign country? Oh, yes. Are you able to throw you and your loved ones in the ocean as an accident? Possibly, it’s all depends on human morality. I just talked to my husband about 2 hours ago. He said I did the right thing to take the picture of the kid and not police charge in the Mexico. He told me to relax a little and not let the girls scared as me, and we will talk about this after we safely are back to the States. He is currently at Japan to work.

Please readers, with these mistreatments from the cruise security as a police, I am not sure now my daughter and I are safe on this cruise, and if I don’t post a follow up review tomorrow April 5th, 2019, anybody can call the 911 for me and my daughters’ murder. Mothers, be cautious about the Carnival Inspiration Cruise and be serious considering to take the cruise with you and your loved ones.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I booked the tour as part of the shore excursion- Ancient Ruin of Tulum. It was for two of us-Me and my husband. The tour was unorganized from start to finish. The directions on the ticket were not clear about where to start our tour on the ship. Anyway, we asked around and found that people are getting together in the dining hall. We got on the small boat from Cozumel and headed to ancient city of Tulum. When we got down, we were with the people who are heading to four different tours. At the pier we saw our guide and without any clarification and directions, he started running through the crowded strip mall full of shoppers. We lost in the crowd and try to contact the tour guide through another tour guide that we saw in the mall, we tried to ask security, cops, taxi driver but no use. No one knew anything about the tour. So both of reached the ruins by TAXI paid additional $ 50 for the fare.

We met with the guide and the group at the Ruins and he has no idea that we were missing. He was running so fast that soon, there were others who were separated from the group. It was very disappointing for the family members as instead of enjoying the site they were looking for their relative who were separated. But, the tour guide could care less. Then, we met another lady who was supervisor of the tour guides. She acknowledged that she knew we were lost. But, she said that instead of contacting us, they put all the group in one bus because she claimed, that as we were lost, there were not enough people for two bus. TOTAL BS.

Now, as per her account the bus is full and have no room for us. I was angry, mad and frustrated. They care less, in the end they gave us one seat of the guide and one folded seat in the front. When I complained to the Shore Excursion team, they said that it was our fault that we did not stay with them and did not even bother to refund the taxi fare. WORST EXPERIENCE.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My bed kept splitting in the middle so when I got up to check if the sheet was on correctly I saw that the sheet had a huge urine stain in the middle and hole in the sheets. Carnival showed no concern.

Original review: March 27, 2019

It was my first cruise so I have nothing to compare it to. But it seemed like the ship the Elation was outdated and needs some upgrades. We had a great time and had no problems at all. I would love to take another cruise on another ship to see if it’s more updated.

Original review: March 25, 2019

We have traveled Carnival several times. We did enjoy the cruise and most of the crew. However, we did have things missing from our cabin. My daughter's Apple airpods, several Apple chargers and 2 of my 3 rum cakes disappeared. We confronted our cabin person and he knew nothing about it. So that was a real bummer! But the worst part of it all is... we decided this trip to use our sail and sign cards more than usual. We accrued a big bill (for my family). Carnival took half out (which is fine) just before last day, then on last day took entire amount out too.

Calling customer service regarding this I was connected to someone that spoke very poor English and couldn’t answer questions. They may have released the hold on first charge but now my bank shows both amounts out. This now ties my money up for 5-7 business days. Computers are only as smart as you program them. Time to program system different. Help out your customers. Don’t pull entire amount out at end too. Just pull remaining amount.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I was disappointed with my cruise with Carnival on the Conquest. Our first stop was at Princess Cay and the tendons in my knee flared up when I was swimming in the ocean. That night I couldn't walk. I asked if I could borrow a wheelchair to go to the dinner and they said that I would have to rent one for the remainder of the cruise or per day. The rental for the entire cruise was $137 dollars or $50 dollars a day. I asked them how Walmart or Target allows you to borrow their wheelchair that is motorized while you shop, but a cruise line wouldn't even allow you to borrow one to go to dinner. I told them I would not cruise with them anymore, that I paid enough money for the cruise for them not to let me borrow a wheelchair.

After that they continuously called my cabin everyday to try to rectify the matter and to smooth over my resentment. One of the calls that I answered they told me that I could call room service and room service could take me to the dinner and then take me back to my room. That really upset me because they didn't tell me that until after they knew I wasn't going to rent a wheelchair. I ended up calling room service and doing that two times because I didn't want to stay in my room for the entire trip like I was being forced to do. I didn't want to spend any more money by renting a wheelchair that I thought I should be able to borrow.

I called for room service in the morning to go to the breakfast and the room service person put the wheelchair to the side while I was eating. When we were done eating my husband just went and got the chair and took me back to my room. I called room service to tell them the chair was outside of the room. They left the chair outside of the room and didn't come and get it. It's sat out there for a couple of hours. My husband asked me if I wanted to look around the ship because I really didn't get to see very much because my knee hurt after the first port.

We went in this wheelchair that was oversized and wide and saw that being handicapped is terrible on this Carnival ship. The buffet is not at the level for you to reach any of the food like a normal buffet is at a restaurant. I wasn't able to reach anything and my husband had to prepare my plate since we decided to get a bite there instead of going to the dining room.

As we went through the ship on the lido deck where the tables are, we noticed we had to go around like it was a maze because there was so much in the way of the wheelchair. There was not a straight path for anybody that is handicapped to navigate through. Where they had the sushi bar on the side and also the deli sandwiches that were also on the side they had roped off lanes so people could stay in line. Well doing that didn't allow much room for a wheelchair to go through and we had to turn around and go another way.

On the third floor where the guest services are you cannot hardly get the wheelchair through because of the support poles in one section. My husband pushed the wheelchair and lifted it so we could get through to the other side. It was ridiculous. It is not handicap friendly at all. Don't even try to get into any of the shops with a wheelchair because you will not fit. The wheelchairs that they have are overly wide. All of them were, which made it hard to maneuver yourself. I had a hard time so my husband had to push me.

After we went through the ship with the chair we ended up putting it outside of my room again and leaving it there. They never did come and get the chair. It was like they left it there so I could use it and not complain. I was happy that they did do that but I was still disappointed in how I was treated. Carnival is not compassionate to injured or handicapped people. I will not cruise with them again.

This was my fourth cruise with them and the last cruise I took was in 2012. I have found in 2019 a lot of changes in the food and the prices. The food is a hit or a miss. Some of the food was excellent, and some of the food was absolutely horrible. There wasn't too much in between, it was either good or it was bad. I was not thrilled with this cruise and it wasn't just because my knee was hurting. Our Steward was very nice I have to say. He at least showed that he cared that I was hurting. He brought me ice packs up every night which I really appreciated. Carnival has changed and not for the better. :(

Original review: March 23, 2019

Carnival booking agent, Tamra, refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor when I wanted to book my family of grown children, their significant others and 1 toddler in the last 4 rooms near each other. These rooms are only allowed to be booked with 4 people in the room. Even though we said we would pay the same rate as 4 people (and eat less than 4 people) were told that these particular cabins can ONLY be booked with 4 because it might disappoint a families with 2 children if they let me take the rooms. Really? But it's ok to disappoint a family with kids who no longer can share a room with their parents?? They said they could give me 4 cabins on all different levels. When you have young adult children and alcohol available, you do not put parents far away. Carnival is for the kiddie set I guess.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I’m not happy with my experience! I have a list of charges that I never authorized. Do NOT use this cruise line!! I found out, upon disembarking, that I owed over $400. I didn’t authorize $200 of it. I’m pissed and I don’t recommend taking this cruise AT ALL.

Original review: March 21, 2019

RUDE and ARROGANT security officers (both receiving and exit areas). All the 3 ports we had very unpleasant experiences with the security officers. Yelling at us, making faces, no eye contacts, no one ever cracked a smile, obnoxious behaviour, and unnecessary rude comments. My family and I (9 of us) were treated like we were cell mates in an Institution.

The 1st port (St. Thomas) these officers were rude in the beginning, we let this one go. We have been cruising multiple times, so we understand when it comes to strict policies, but being rude and how they conducted themselves were very unprofessional and unacceptable. 2nd port (Puerto Rico), my family and were really annoyed and disgusted, but still held our composure. One of my sisters asked where they would like us to line up (as there were two files) she was ignored, we waited for their attention, finally we just went ahead and followed some people, that's when one of the female officers yelled at her and said, "NO... go to the other side!!!" No please, no thank you. Just harsh tone of voice.

Finally my sister said, "I asked you where and you completely ignored me, now I'm in line, you yell at me?" The female officer waved her hand as if to say to proceed exiting. The 3rd port at Grand Turk, one officer (I read his name badge: Joel, Security Officer) shooed me away when there was an Ambulance waiting outside the ship. I saw it from 20 feet away, I knew I needed to be out of the way.

There was another officer (an African) smiled and asked how my day is going, I said "ok, I guess" during our quick exchange pleasantries, Officer Joel yelled out to me and said "excuse me, can I help you? You have to move" waving his hand as if I was a dog and said it with an annoying and high tone of voice. This time, I had to say something to defend myself and speak for my family, I told him he didn't have to be rude. Of course his response was a denial, "I'm not being rude." I said to him, "I would file a complaint not just about you, but the rest of your co-workers." I told him these incidents causing me and my family to ruin our vacation. I re-read his name tag/badge: Joel, Security Officer, Philippines.

Another incident, I placed my cell phone and small wallet in a round tray and proceeded to the other side of the scanner, a female officer (manly built) yelled, “HEY, put the tray in the belt line, it’s not going anywhere if you just leave it there!” She shook her head. I was going to yell back, but another officer kept saying, “this way please, this way…”

The food and the untidiness of Lido and the Southern Dining were already an issue to us, let alone the treatment of rude security workers. Thank goodness for our nice and friendly house keepers, Benedict, Teguh... They managed to make us smile every day. The last bad experience by the receiving area was with a female officer, there was a lady who was in a wheelchair, one of the officers pushed her to the corner in the receiving area and yelled "ma'am you have to get out of people's way..." He could have approached her differently.

I grabbed my phone and started videotaping, right away the female officer said, I cannot take videos or pictures. But I managed to take pictures of at least 5 of them. I also looked at their name badges, and they are all from the Philippines. As soon as I reached my Cabin, I dialed Guest Service and made a complaint. I'm not sure if someone has raised these issues with the officers or something was resolved that day... I had a feeling that these issues were not addressed to these individuals. It occurred on: 13/03/2019 first incident in St. Thomas, 2nd incident when we docked in Puerto Rico on 14/03/2019, 3rd incident in Grand Turk 15/03/2019 (all in the entrance and exit areas).

These unpleasant incidents (not once, not twice, but 3x - too many times) THEY HAVE RUINED OUR VACATION. It was bad enough that the port in Amber Cove has been cancelled, we were all looking forward to being on this Island. The unpleasantness of your Security Officers was all that was on our mind focused on because, yes, they were awful experiences. This was supposed to be our family reunion. My husband and I's 25th wedding anniversary this year and both him and I also turn 50 this year. One of my sister's 55th birthday.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Compared to other cruise ships that tied up near us ours was an embarrassment. Running rust was seen everywhere... The spa was sparse compared to other cruise lines we sail on... If we were to sail on Carnival again we would not get the spa package. Our suite 7375 was wonderful and Pan who was our steward outstanding. On food we were never disappointed. And our staff wonderful... Unfortunately the dress code (from some) at dinner family’s was embarrassing. No one policed the dress code...

Original review: March 18, 2019

I put $300 deposit down recently for cruise line and was only given short amount time to provide part 2 of deposit. After realizing that was unaffordable I find out that this money I provided is not refundable. I WAS NOTTT told this. Had I known I would have never ever put money down for this trip. I will not even take. Carnival Cruise Line is complete rip off and they don't even have direct department to deal with this situation. It’s via email only. I am furious that they have taken money from hardworking person!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I am writing regarding my recent cruise, sailing date 2/18/19. My husband and I have always loved cruising, and decided to take our grandparents and children on one to share the wonderful experience we have always had. We have traveled with Carnival a couple times. Never before have we had such a disappointing trip.

The main complaint had to do with the noise at night. Unfortunately, we were right below the kitchen (I never knew that this would be an issue). Every night it felt as if we were sleeping IN the kitchen. We clearly heard industrial dishwashers banging as if they were right by our heads, chopping, repairs being made and metal items being scraped off the floor and tools (or perhaps cookware) being dropped repeatedly into buckets. No one in our party was able to manage more than 2 hours of sleep per night. By the end of the trip we were sooo exhausted and irritable that the trip was faaar from pleasant. We would have gladly gotten off the ship and ended the vacation earlier if we could.

Each night I called the customer service at least 4 times. They said they would notify staff to work in another area...they never did. The noise never even stopped. We complained at the desk and with concierge staff and leadership each day and were promised that the noise would stop. It never did. We begged everyone that we could for just one good night of sleep. Only my cabin was offered a room change...but they could not accommodate moving my kids room with ours and could offer nothing for our elderly family members.

To add insult to injury, they offered a 10% off on our next cruise. I get more than that based on my gambling play. It was ridiculous. I would be content with nothing less than our money back or a ‘repeat ‘ trip for the group (in a room far away from the kitchen). I have received no follow up from Carnival at this point despite our review, complaints and promise of follow up from cruise staff. I could not be more embarrassed for making our elderly family members endure such a poor experience. It’s extremely disappointing.

Aside from the above, we experienced several other issues, that we did not bother reporting as our main issue was never addressed. The wait to get on shore took over 2 hours in a crowded hallway and my disabled father in law was unable to keep up with us when we finally got ashore due to pain. So, we were unable to even go experience the port. The ‘PG’ comedy show that I took my 9 year old and 14 year old to had an incredible amount of swearing and racist content. We left. The lines for dinner were also incredible. I filed a complaint and was never contacted. I later contacted them and was told that they could offer no more than 25% off the next cruise. Never again will I travel with this company. So disappointing.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My husband and I went on the Carnival Dream. We left March 3rd. Everything was going good until Friday March 8th we were in Cozumel. The horrible thing that happened the Carnival Magic was next to us as they pulled away a lot of soot came flying out of their stack and all over the Dream. We had a Balcony room on the 12th floor the Balcony was all black our room smelled so bad for hours. I have had a headache and sore throat since this has happened. No apology no compensation nothing. Just ignored the whole thing. My anxiety level got really bad and had a panic attack and the answer people receive was they could offer two free drinks? Thanks for nothing.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Save your money and use another cruise line, the service is terrible and they refuse to help you. Everything is charging you more money, they put two grown adults in a children room yet blame us for it. Refused to fix their error and tried to charge us $280 more. Biggest rip off.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We took a Carnival Cruise as an experiment to see if we liked cruises. Rest assured, we did not. If you are wondering if you should cruise with this company you really should just stay away and save your money. Even if the cruise line looks cheap they attempt to nickel and dime you the entire time you are onboard so unless you like sitting in your small room watching movies this then expect to spend much MUCH more money. On top of that our room was freezing. We called guest services several times with no help and when we tried to phone the floor staff over 10 times and no one ever picked up. We even wandered around the ship looking for someone who would help us in the guest areas and there was no one. We were eventually taking towels from the bathroom to add more blankets to the bed since we were unable to get another blanket.

On the final day as we were leaving they gave us our onboard charges which included an almost $200 gratuity for the room cleaning people. We obviously didn't want to pay this but could either get back in line and wait for hours to get off the ship or try to just deal with it when we got back home. We contacted the cruise ship less than 2 hours after we got off but all "purchases and gratuities on the ship are final once you get off the ship." Beware travelling with Carnival.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I booked a cruise for myself and my children the end of December. I asked for an upper deck and paid for it and also asked for adjoining cabins. Everything was booked and I got confirmation of the cabins. A friend of mine also booked as they liked where the ship was stopping and wanted to join us. They had an offer of 50.00 cabin credit which they extended to us. In trying to add the cabin credit the Carnival agent lost one of our adjoining cabins and did not advise us. I didn't find out right away and when I did I called immediately trying to get it back but they had booked someone else in it. I spoke to one of the supervisors who was very unhelpful, she did not even acknowledge it was one of their agents, she tried blaming it on me saying I booked it that way.

I told her I had the emails showing the original booking and had not received notification of a cabin change. I asked if she could at least do side by side cabins which she reluctantly did then proceeded to tell me it wasn't like my kids were little that I needed the adjoining cabins. It was not for her to decide why I needed it that way. I've been trying since then to get Carnival to acknowledge that they made the mistake and to rectify it with no response from the company. The Carnival planner I've been dealing with told me she has passed on the information but they have not responded to her about a solution. I've cruised with them before and this will be my last cruise with a company that has little empathy and is unwilling to even deal with the situation.

Original review: March 4, 2019

My husband and I decided we were going to take a cruise for our honeymoon. It took us 3 years after we were married to pay for it and to get the time off. It just so happened it was his birthday that week also. The entertainment was good and they had a lot of activities for everyone. We left port day one and everything was great! Day 2 in the afternoon we were in our room and could hear banging. We thought it may have been a kid above us since we were on the 1st floor. It sounded like metal banging on metal. We just decided to go find something to do. When we got back to the room that night you would only hear it once in a while. We let it slide.

For the next 5 day all we could hear under our room was banging, grinding, drilling and other noises all night! We called and complained and was giving a 150 on board credit. They were even waking us up at 2-3 in the morning working on it. When we complained they acted like we were nuts. Our room was 1800. And we couldn’t sleep due to them working. But they wouldn’t refund our room. I was very disappointed and tired. I don’t think I’ll go again. That was my first cruise.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I took the Carnival Breeze in January 2019 and bought a shore excursion directly through Carnival. The reason is because Carnival guaranteed the ship would not leave us if something caused lateness. My tour ran late, and we were left in a foreign land (Dominican Republic). Did not speak their language and had to pay over $1000.00. All of our medications, personal belongings and expensive jewelry was on there and we had to spend two nights Off the ship and they refuse to compensate me anything. They would not take responsibility and would not address this guarantee they have ALL OVER THEIR WEBSITES.

The only things they paid for was getting one of their employees to drive us 4 and 1/2 hours from Amber Cove to the capital San Domingo Airport and had someone pick us up the next morning to get us back to their raggedy ship. They told us it was our responsibility to have made it back in time and wouldn't even address their promise and guarantee. We began to suspect something strange and that EVERYONE we spoke to named a different Carnival Ship that was at port also. Carnival also stated on their website that we could only purchase tours that was linked to Breeze and that the tour operator would be in touch with them if we were running late. The tour did run over said time and I do not believe this tour director knew we were from the other ship!

SOMEBODY needs to fix this. We are senior citizens and feel blessed no one robbed, raped or murder us! I speak also is because I do not want anyone to go through hell we experienced. Also why did you cover the car-ride? Why did you send taxis? Why did you remove over $300.00 in charges if you were not wrong? I want my out-of-pocket expenses paid for. I want ALL of my cruise charges refunded for that Stateroom that was not worth it! I will fight you to the end over that lie you advertised! Here I come Federal Trade Commission, Federal Maritime Commission, States Attorney, Better Business Bureau and some others as well. Enough of BIG BUSINESSES ROBBING us consumers. Cruise Breeze taken January 19th - January 26th, 2019, Stateroom 1234! email: **. How would you feel if your elderly mother, elderly wife, etc was treated this way?

Original review: March 2, 2019

I'm not even off of this boat. We just got back to Tampa, and I will not use this cruise line in the future. This has been absolutely an awful experience while on the boat. Our ports were fantastic, but the ship, Paradise, was horrible. I wish I could blame it on seasickness, but that was not our case. We have been told so many different things, have had charges we couldn't place initially that the attendants at guest services didn't want to help us figure out. No worries, though. We figured that out on our own without supervisors or assistance from the staff.

Senior staff at some instances was fantastic, but not all of them. Only like 3. Our cards stopped working randomly and we were told it was my bank account. Which was not locked ever. Specifically I logged into my account to verify it indeed was not locked. And as soon as my husband rounded the corner to speak to the guest services manager, whose name I am unable to accurately remember the spelling, the man Sylvester asked me accusingly what I did to make my account work because clearly I resolved the issue. When once more, my account was not locked and had funds to cover any overcharges we had made. We ensured this because it was better than $6.00 ATM charges.

My husband had a unimportant and callous experience with Christian. We asked about Mark Henry and their Alexandrite jewelry. The initial response and look of distaste in our questions was at first disregarded. Maybe he had a long day, maybe he was a bit overwhelmed. We received our voucher and at the sale manager's request sought out Christian once more to show him our purchase and thank him for his advice and assistance. My husband again was left feeling disrespected and insulted by the Sales Director, due to being brushed off rudely. Who mind you also was unaware of any sales going on in the Fun Shops, though he was the director of sales...

The food in the steakhouse and Paris restaurant was subpar quite often, leaving us eating partial meals because the taste or quality was less than desirable 3 out of 5 days of our cruise. When we asked questions revolving around customs, purchases or even locations of things on the ship we would be told varying things from employees or even told those were not things until we find them again on our own. The ship is smaller than others which made it basically impossible to enjoy the amenities due to overcrowding of them. Such as 30+ people in a small 30x10 sized pool. The hot tubs were regularly overcrowded as well as the serenity retreat.

Employees did not call security when a man hit his spouse, they (staff) just walked off. After being asked for security more than once. Wait staff refused to serve a blind man, or even get a bartender for him because well we don't even know the reason other than he wasn't going to. The bartender was on 10, we were in the smoking section on 11, sitting with the gentleman and assisted him instead since the wait staff refused to assist him. We did encounter some wonderful employees during our 5 days, mostly Stewards and Waiters in the Elation Restaurant. I will acknowledge them in my survey, by name and station. Otherwise, as stated above, we will seek out other means and companies not owned by Carnival for future travels.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

The ship was dirty and the food was terribly disappointing. It was like a bad night at a Golden Corral just before they throw the food out. The wait staff and stewards were very friendly, but 2 of the 3 times I went to Guest Services, I dealt with someone who was totally incompetent. I don’t know if this was a training issue or personnel issue, but the attendant was totally unfamiliar with the what the “First to the Fun” included or even what it was. We also purchased the “Chef’s Table” experience. Again, the service was great but most of the food was terrible. The pro was not with the food itself, but with the execution. The wagyu beef in particular was overcooked and drenched in what tasted like McCormick’s sauce. We got back to find that Carnival double-billed all are expenses onboard and sent my bank account into chaos. We will cruise again, but never with Carnival.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

First, I'll start by saying I've been on 2 other cruises prior to this one - Princess and Royal Caribbean. I had my doubts before choosing Carnival, but decided to give them a try as it was the only weekend cruise out of California. It would have been better to stay home. I was traveling with my 70 year old mother and 92 year old grandmother. We were treated horribly from the start!

When were arrived, we tried to board with our luggage but were told they had to be checked. Numerous other people were allowed to bring their bags on board however. We later found out that the porters tell you that to get a tip, but it is not required. Prior to purchasing the trip I spoke to a representative of Carnival to determine what type of ID is required. I was told no passport was needed - only a government issue ID, such as a driver's license. My grandmother opted for the enhanced ID when she renewed her license last year, which I was told would be more than enough to board the ship. When we arrive to board, we were asked for our passports. I explained that my grandmother only had her driver's license, as we were told that was all that was needed. They stated she would not be permitted to board the ship.

After further discussion, they said she could use the ID only if it were accompanied by a birth certificate. At this point we were 2 hours from setting sail. The Carnival rep at the port further stated that if we cannot board we will not be refunded ANYTHING because we were at fault. My grandmother lives in the midwest, so getting a birth certificate in a short amount of time was not easy. We were able to get someone to her home, find the certificate, and email it. We were then told it must be printed out. She offered to print it if it was mailed to her. We sent the email several times, which she claimed never came through. We finally found someone else and emailed them. Miraculously they received it. We were finally able to board with little time to spare.

On board, the ship was OK at best. It was old and dated with many areas broken or out of service. The food was not great. Desserts especially were horrific and not edible. The staff were mostly nice, with a few exceptions. Disembarking was another fiasco. It is a long walk from the ship to the exit. My grandmother tires easily and needs to stop along the way to rest. Every time she tried to stop we were yelled at and told stopping was not allowed. I tried each time to explain my grandmother was having difficulty and needed a short break and was told "I don't care what her problem is, keep moving." Not once did anyone offer her assistance. Finally, we found an elevator to shorten the trip. However, they split us up and would not let us take the elevator with her. Furthermore, we could not regroup at the bottom, but were forced to "keep moving". Needless to say, she was exhausted and exasperated by the end.

After arriving home, I checked my credit card statement to find I was overcharged by over $50 at the end of the cruise. When I called to ask for a refund, I was told that no refunds would be issued sooner than 7-10 business days. I am confused as to why they overcharged me, but I have to wait for a refund. This was my first and last time traveling with Carnival. They are a terrible company and not guest friendly. BEWARE IF YOU EVER TRAVEL WITH THEM! They are looking to scam you at every turn and treat you poorly whenever possible. Pay a little more and get a much better experience on another cruise.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

My mom was hospitalized 4 days prior to me going on my cruise and was going to have surgery resulting in me having to assist in taking care of her. I had someone to take my place. I was initially told that it would cost me only $50 to change the name which I was perfectly fine with then once the associate spoke to put me hold and spoke with supervisor I was told that I did not qualify this that I would be charged full amount and the individual taking my spot would be charged at a different rate. I understand if I was canceling totally but I have someone filling their room. My mom came ill unexpectedly, I filled my spot. This was going to be my 1st cruise. I definitely will not book with carnival if I choose to take another cruise in the future.

Carnival Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.

• Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.

• Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.

• Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.

• Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.

• Best for: The Carnival Cruise liner is best for budget-aware cruisers and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs