3.43/5

Looking for a travel site?

Carnival Cruise Lines

Looking for a travel site?

Carnival Cruise Lines Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

In the past years I’ve been fortunate enough to cruise six times with Carnival Cruise Lines. I can honestly say I had no bad experiences with the staff or any of the personnel. They were all very professional, courteous, happy to help In any way they could to make my experience as fulfilling as they possibly could. The entertainment was always spot on In my opinion. The bands were top-notch, and played really good dance music. The food was always excellent, prepared as if you were dining in a five-star hotel, or if you would rather kick back with a more laid-back dining experience you could hang out at the bar or around the pool and eat fresh barbecue off of the grill, or have a pizza made to order.

Now I am only one person, and mine is one opinion, and experience, But I can assure you I’m not the only one that feels this way about Carnival. I made some really good friends that I’ve kept in contact with through the years that live across the country from me, and I can assure you they are of the same opinion as l. Trust me when I say, you can’t go wrong cruising with Carnival Cruise Lines!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

This was my first time on any cruise. I chose Carnival because my boyfriend has went on them once with his family. From start to finish the customer service was incredible. Whatever you need the staff will do for you. Always friendly and polite and so helpful. If you’re a fan of the casino there are some wonderful staff members who made our experience great (even when we started losing lol). Koketso is one of the casino bosses. He is a stand up man. He’s very friendly and funny. We received a few seat certifications from him for hands we got in the game. Some of the dealers we loved were Fernando and Kopano! They were nice guys! Fernando is a cowboys fan, but we let that one slide!

So many bartenders. All fast and friendly service. One who stuck out named Joel **, we saw him earlier in the day once and then late at night in the casino and he remembered our drinks before we even said anything to him! We dined at 8:15 pm and our team was SPECTACULAR. Their names were Jino, Bhiku, Sedana and Inoyman. I’ve never had waiters ever before anywhere as amazing as these guys were. I was having an issue with my teeth and chewing and Bhiku brought me mashed potatoes as a side even though they weren’t on the dining menu. I really appreciated that. They were super funny with their jokes. Anything you could possibly need they would do for you. Checked on food. Brought two different entrées out for my boyfriend to eat. Dessert was delicious. They all danced and sang for the shows and they did great!

Due to a slight injury I didn’t partake in activities such as bingo and dancing like I wish I could have but the girl who announced everything No-No (not sure on spelling) she was so fun and lively and entertaining! Last but certainly not least the housekeeping team! Gerry was in charge of the cleaning for our room/floor. The bartenders would swipe your cards and give them back and use your name. Gerry knew our names every time he saw us though! He was so friendly. The room was always spotless clean with fresh towels and towels made into animals. I don’t know how many people Gerry is in charge of but he’s doing an amazing job with all of them. We appreciated their work.

One negative part of my trip is that I had to use the medic, but the staff down there was wonderful. Dr. Natalia is a very nice woman. The other person I remember was the nurse named Pink, she’s very bubbly and happy and cheerful. Although my experience with the medic team did not help/solve my medical issue at all, the staff was still fantastic and helped me as much as they could. Overall wonderful and I will be booking another one again soon!

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I had a marvelous time on my Carnival Cruise. I went to St. Thomas Virgin Island Puerto Rico and we had to bypass the Bahamas due to the Red Sea being rough. I did have motion sickness my first 2 days but eventually, I got with the program. The entertainment was awesome. There were shows and disco dancing, swimming, games an all day and night buffet. The people were great. My room was fantastic. My partner was the love of my life. He has since passed away and I've so far haven't been able to find a worldly man like him. I've been searching but they don't build whole men like him anymore. I was able to take my smoke but had to flush what I didn't smoke because of having to go thru customs on the trip home. We flew to Florida from Maryland. I had an entire new wardrobe and I looked fabulous. You should enjoy Carnival Cruise Lines. I can vouch for them. Safe travels. God speed.

Original review: July 25, 2019

My wife and I have cruised 11 times with Carnival, with 2 more coming up this year (2019) and next year. Then, we'll be ready to be Platinum guests. We had 1 problem, on one of the earlier cruises, concerning the casino, which was sorted out and actually proved to be our fault in not knowing how to use our Sign and Sail cards. All in all, we have nothing but good to say about the service, food, cleanliness and friendliness of the ship and its crew members, and I am talking about at least 8 of the ships that we have been on. My wife is allergic to garlic, and the restaurant staff bends over backwards to serve her meals prepared just for her with no garlic. Sometimes, you will meet with a crew member who is short with you, but they are only human and have their off days too, just like us. We will continue to sail with Carnival because we know that we will get the best value for the money spent on any cruise with them.

Original review: July 7, 2019

This was our second Carnival cruise on June 29th, 2019 from Charleston, SC. on board the Carnival Sunshine for 5 nights. It was just as much fun as our first a couple years ago on the Carnival Liberty out of Port Carnival. We had balcony rooms both times. No issues with air conditioning or cabin problems. The food was great every night in the dining areas. Different menus every night and we ate in the dining room every night. I like they don't give you too big of proportions so you have room for desert.

I did the 20 dollar upcharge for surf and turf two nights. Had no need to got to the three upcharge restaurants. They were never sold out since they announced opening every night over the PA system. They were small too so don't think they will last. Guy’s Burger were great. Also had a barbecue in one of the pubs we just ran into. The serenity end of the ship is great with no kids allowed. Me and the wife are empty nesters now but do miss not having the kids around. The comedians were great but need to get to the shows early to get a seat. We did Disney last year and yes the shows and food are better but not for almost double the price of a Carnival cruise.

We got free water in our cabin for being second time cruises, I brought a 6 pack of Coke in cans and a bottle of wine I never even opened. You can get milk and chocolate milk at the buffet and put it in you refrig in your room if you have a balcony room. They have plenty of lemonade and ice tea dispensers around if you’re thirsty. Free ice cream machines too. Drinks are about 22 dollars for two. We had Piña coladas most of the time. We also did behind the scenes tour which we loved. Expensive but enjoyed it. Hope that helps.

Tony and Bonnie from New Jersey

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My husband and I have saved for 5 years to go on a cruise and take our daughter. We did a lot of research and decided we would book with Carnival. The gentleman that helped us was very nice. He was on the phone with us for a good 2+ hours. I am very skeptical when it comes to traveling and booking agencies because I always feel like people are taking advantage of easily. So I asked every question I possibly could think of to make sure there was nothing hidden in what we were paying.

We talked about doing the CHEERS! package which you have to purchase separately so that you can have unlimited alcohol on the cruise as well as the Bubbly package so that our daughter could have soda drinks on the cruise. I understood that this was a separate package but was told we could go ahead and add it as we were booking to the total so that it was taken care of. A week or so later I had been Looking at our booking and going over which excursions we wanted to do when I noticed a few things on our booking papers did not match. Our names were spelled wrong. V showed that we were being picked up from an airport that R we weren’t even going to.

So I called and asked what was going on and was told by the next agent that I was speaking to her that the previous agent had set R transfers from the wrong airport and if we would not have called we would have landed and not had any way to get to our cruise. We were also told that V had some special to wear. If we saw the price drop on our cruise or a cruise like it we could call and have the price updated. So as I’m talking to the lady I also asked her to look into seeing if we had anything that we could price match or upgrade for the same price. She stated that we did and she would add the upgrade. She also stated that she fixed our transfers from the correct airport but it that it was going to cost us more. This upset me because I had been quoted a price and told that my booking was done correct. I did not feel that I should pay the difference in this but nonetheless they added it to our bill.

They gave us a $12.50 credit that we could use only on the cruise for all of these issues that we have been dealing with. Now here we are 100 days away from the cruise my husband logged on to make another payment to the cruise and it ended up taking the entire balance out of our account leaving our account negative and paying the cruise off. When I called to ask why this happened I decided it was time to go over the entire booking and make sure everything that I was promised was true. After going over the all of the booking information with the agent I asked her about the alcohol and soda packages that we were told were added to our booking. She told me that it was impossible for this to happen that the booking agents Cannot add this type of package during booking and that there’s no way that this possibly happened.

I asked her to review the phone call and told her we were told very specifically that we would have those packages included in our booking. She then told me she would listen to the call and get back with me. Three minutes later she comes back and tells me that there’s nothing they can do now. This was a two hour phone call so I don’t know how she could have reviewed it. I got upset and asked for a manager. That manager explained to me that she could not listen to the call because their calls delete after 30 days if they were captured in the first place so the previous agent lied to me. That seems to be a pattern with cruise Agents.

I was very upset and told her I felt like I’ve been taken advantage of. Now we are going to have to plan for another thousand dollars to cover those fees. We were not told that the gratuity was not added so found this out as a surprise as well and when I asked if there was anything they could do about it they simply told me no. They just wanted to tell me how it was my fault I did not read all the terms and conditions. I did not read all the fine print. It said that it was on me so now I am stuck going on a cruise. I have to come up with another thousand dollars to cover the drinks and gratuity that I was not planning and will no longer have money to do anything fun or go on any excursions.

This is my first cruise and will be my only with this cruise line. I am very upset. I feel taken advantage of and now I feel like I’m going to be taking my family on and a funless trip. Today the manager called me back and told me after review the only thing that they can do is give us a $25 credit that we can use on the cruise only. But the kicker is they owe me the $25 credit because it goes towards the difference of the price of my cruise going now which is a part of my deal so really they are giving me what I deserve and not doing anything for the fact that their agents completely lied and suckered me into paying for a cruise that I now cannot.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

My husband and I took pictures on their cruise ship. We purchased some on canvas and was told to come back and get them the next day. Mind you the day we check out but we forgot them. We sent an email through their website trying to find out how to retrieve them. No response. I finally get them on the phone to be told they purged them and no refund. Sad to say they lost customers. We travel of 20 plus. They lost us all..so sad.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My husband and I have cruised with Carnival for years now. While I love cruising in general, I have to admit that I find Carnival Cruise Line has gone downhill in service over the years. Food used to be phenomenal. Now it is only so-so at best. Have to admit that is rather frustrating. Or, to get really good food now, they expect you to pay extra. Hello??? Whatever happened to the 'all-inclusive' cruising is supposed to stand for? I do have some particular bones I have to pick with the company and I'll be writing them directly about that. This isn't the place for that. I guess I'm just too old to accept mediocre anymore, and that's what Carnival now feels like to me - mediocre. Nevertheless, it is cruising, so yes, you WILL have fun. Just don't go into it expecting all the wonderful things you heard about cruising in the past. It's definitely not that world anymore. Sad, but true.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

Carnival Cruise Lines is a scam that advertises a certain price with hidden fees, taxes and gratuities automatically added. I never authorized charges to my account and when I called to complain, was told I should have done it onboard the ship but they won't help now. They were extremely rude and unhelpful on the phone telling me I won't get a different answer. That's fine, I'll never board your ship again. I'll make sure to tell everyone I know how awful I was treated and how terrible the customer service is. Remember when people have a bad experience, they're likely to tell 10 people. I hope your cruise line goes under due to lack of guest valuation.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

We really enjoyed our Cruise. Nasua was wonderful. The Dolphin interaction on the Blue Lagoon was well worth the money. The staff was great, and I cant say enough good things about Ikomang our room attendant on the Riviera Deck. We had a group of 5, enjoyed by all.

Carnival Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.

• Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.

• Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.

• Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.

• Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.

• Best for: The Carnival Cruise liner is best for budget-aware cruisers and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs