2.73/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1394 Carnival Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Be aware that if you make any complaints at all - either on board the ship or on the phone with corporate, they will simply dismiss your complaint or offer you a worthless form of compensation along with a half ** apology. I did both only to receive an ungenuine apology...none of my problems were resolved and no one I talked to seemed to care. Our cabin had mildew in the showers and our stateroom steward was late to cleaning our rooms several nights throughout our 5 day vacation to the Bahamas, not only that but our bed was so sloppily made, our sheets came off when we pulled the covers over us to go to bed. The food was dreadful...flavorless and seemed to be mushy. It was the WORST food I've ever eaten in my entire life.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Had to cancel our cruise due to medical reasons. I booked through CheapCarribean.com. I was on hold for an hour and a half to complete the cancellation. It cost me $800 to cancel the reservations. The remaining funds were supposed to be put back on my credit card in 7-10 business days. Nothing happened so I called again and was told there was a delay because of the holidays. I waited another week and then called again and they said that the funds had been requested back but there was no communication with the booking agency and that it would take another 7-10 business days before the funds were released. What they are doing is fraudulent!

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I came with my wife and 2 kids (6 and 3) and we up in the air about the drink package. We ended both getting the cheers package so we didn't have to worry about money while we were there and just get what we want when we want. We got hassled about the spouse not being right next to me when I got both drinks even though I had both cards because one of us had to stay with the kids in the pool or to eat. Speaking of the pool, we were told multiple times our 3 year old could not be in the pool with a swim diaper in any of the pools so we just took it off of him. Luckily he didn't ** all over the place. It was just a hassle.

When we first arrived one of our bags must have been thrown on the ground because red wine bottle had busted open and drenched all of my clothes and stained a few shirts. Needless to say the fist 45 minutes was my wife scrubbing my shirts and me having to dry and iron some clothes. The wait staff was all great as far as room service and the lido waitstaff and 2 of our 4 nights dining in Atlantic, however 2 of the 4 nights were miserably long. The 2nd night we waiting over 20 minutes once we were sat to get greeted. We were at dinner over 2 hours and to be frank, the food was.... ehhhh. This is my third carnival cruise and the only one that I did not think the food was great and had this many issues.

To top it off we got hit with over 200 dollars in "standard gratuities" the night before we left the ship, which I thought was covered in the price of the cruise but I am certainly not going to not tip the people for the work they did so I paid it. Since this was thrown on last minute I was unable to buy final items in the gift shop because I had a balance at the time I was going to purchase. All in all the kids had fun and that is what matters, but I don't think I will be on a Carnival cruise again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

This is the second cruise my girlfriend and I went on with Carnival. The internet Wi-Fi package was terrible on both trips, but the cruises themselves are fun. However, on this second trip we took, 12/29/18-1/06/19, my girlfriend got ACUTE FOOD POISONING from the buffet! A very strong case of FOOD POISONING! One day prior to my girlfriend getting ACUTE FOOD POISONING, there were a couple of people in our hot tub that were discussing several of their friends and family members (including kids) getting FOOD POISONING on the ship. Later that same evening, we met a couple that also got FOOD POISONING on that ship (the wife was sick in her cabin for whole 3 days and the husband 1 day!)

I reached out to Carnival over the phone. Their supervisor, Vanessa, was kind enough to return my call but Carnival refuses to take any responsibility for their negligence in allowing FOOD POISONING to happen on their ships! Our trip would have been absolutely awesome if it wasn’t for FOOD POISONING! Carnival needs to do something about this! This is a very serious health hazard!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I booked a cruise along with my son who used his promotional offer but during the call my son decided not to go... Unfortunately I had already paid my money. I was told by the representative that unless he goes, I would not be able to use his promotional offer... So I'm thinking okay, either I'm going to be cancelled or they're going to charge me more money. Either way, I lose... I called and emailed guest services and was told the same thing "you cannot use someone else's promotion unless they're on the same cruise". Shortly thereafter, I received an awesome promotion. I really thought this was a goodwill gesture. But when I called to make reservations, I was told that I had not been cancelled and if I cancel I would incur a penalty.

I explained the details of my situation and it did NOT matter now that I had a cheaper rate (utilizing my own promotional offer). NOW I'M BEING FORCED TO USE MY SON'S PROMOTIONAL OFFER EVEN IF HE DOESN'T CRUISE (at the higher rate). Carnival imposed a $655 penalty as a result of the cancellation of a trip that should have been cancelled by them immediately after my son's cancellation according to their policy!!! DISCLOSURE IS KEY. This is so wrong on all levels. I can really use some legal help with this situation.

I RECEIVED TERRIBLE SERVICE. I would strongly suggest when booking that you are extremely careful and completely understand what you're being told because (in my situation) they were quick to impose a penalty. Whereas other companies would value you as a customer. It appears (w/ my experience) that Carnival can care less. "It's all about the money".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carnival Cruise Lines?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I realize this was about a year ago, but it still riles me up. We booked a December 2017 cruise on the carnival paradise out of Tampa. Got to our room and it was warm so I turned the temp down. Plugged in our phones and they would not charge. Well, it was time for muster so we'll deal with it later. Muster... Well, it's hard to have muster when people are already passed out drunk in their staterooms. So we're there a couple hours. Done. Off to Customer Service. Wrote a work order.

Electrician showed up, promptly said it was our problem and left. Back to Customer Service. Different person! He came to the stateroom, saw the problem, also realized the A/C wasn't working and took the vent out so we finally got some air. Took our phones back to his desk where they starting charging. Wrote another work order. Next day...same electrician, same answer. Back to Customer Service. Told to leave our phones there to charge and tomorrow someone will be there to fix it and we're supposed to wait in our room. Waited all day in our stateroom. No one came. Back to CS. Another work order. Day 4 (of 5). Different electrician, fixed it in about 30 minutes.

Here's what we found... CS men are great, CS women are horrible, they have a lazy electrician. (Incidentally, I am an electrical foreman, little hard to BS me on this.) Otherwise the crew was okay. Passengers. If that's the class (or should I say lack thereof) of passengers they attract, I don't want to deal with them. Same reason I don't go out on St. Patrick's Day. Food was meh, they do not know what a parfait is. DO NOT do the pizza, haven't seen that much grease since high school. Deli station was really good. Shows were good community theater level. Comedy was funny, interactive drunk crowd made it funnier. I will give the cruise director Jaime (who's no longer with Carnival) tons of credit. Her gigs in the atrium were really good. She was one of the highlights of the ship. But, I strongly doubt I'll ever go Carnival again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was on your ship Carnival Sensation 12/22-27/2018, Cabin V-27. When we checked into our cabin I noticed that it was not cool and mentioned it to our cabin steward, (Rupa) who promptly reported it to engineering, the next day I again mentioned the lack of cool air to Rupa. The 3rd day I found a card on our bunk. The engineering had been there but the room was still hot. I went to guest services and was told she would open a work order. No one ever showed up. Day 4 we got to our room. It was so hot. I went back to guest services and again was told she would have to open a work order, I explained that a work order has been done the previous day, and no one has showed up. I was told she did not open the work order so until she opened one and an AC person checked it out it did not matter what happened before this time. Guest Services on this ship is by far the worst I have ever encountered.

I found Kevin ** Cruise director, I asked him to please follow me to my room and he did. When he walked into our room and immediately made some calls telling everyone that our room was so hot and something needed to be done about this now. About 10 min later a lady shows up with a machine to check the temp, I then told her it was so hot I had to open the balcony door to get some relief. She said she would notify the AC tech, 2 hours after all this a AC Tech shows up and tells me yes there is a problem and he works on our AC for about 15 min and suddenly, we have cool air. Wow this took 4 days and for me to go directly to the cruise director about this.

I have been on multiple cruises and have never encountered the lack of concern for the guest as I have on this ship. The Guest Services was the worst I have ever encountered and the lack of concern when a Cruiser is complaining, multiple times about the same issue. This is by far unacceptable. I am requesting that I be refunded for this Cruise. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you have about this issue. NOT HAPPY! Called corporate and was told nothing they would do except give me $150 credit on the next cruise, I told them I would never step onto another cruise by Carnival. Basically was told, "Oh well we won't do a thing about it."

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

My family of 4 returned today from a 7 day Eastern Caribbean Cruise onboard the Carnival Magic out of Miami, FL! Myself, husband and 2 kids ages 10 & 3. This was 1st cruise for the kids and 2nd for hubby and myself (previously sailed RC Allure of the Seas and LOVED every second it that)... We knew going into this to lower our expectations from that of the Allure but we booked this one for the kids, our son would love the sky course and the kids club for our delayed 3-year-old seemed like a better fit... the kids did have fun and loved kids club, that is my only reason for giving 2 stars. Both begged to be in kids club every possible moment, my daughter has social anxiety and opened up very quickly to the staff and my son loved making new friends and being given a little bit of freedom!

Our room steward was very nice and always had our room clean and a fresh bucket of ice and the cruise director Mar ** was full of energy and involved, he seemed to be spread a bit thin but never disappointed. The Hasbro game show was fun and our son was actually chosen to participate as was the Lip Sync Battle. The ports we were able to get into were great but this review is not about the ports but the ship experience itself so I will not go into those.

Now, for the ship itself. I like my ship to be an extension of the destination and the Magic felt nothing like that. Getting a deck chair anywhere was nearly impossible. They felt crowded no matter where we were or what we were doing. After being on a larger ship with more passengers that never felt crowded this was a big letdown.

Entertainment was laughable and not in a good way. I've seen better performances come out of Jr. High show choirs than the performers in the main show theater. Nothing was advertised in a way to make you know what was available. Yes, it was listed in the "not so" fun times but had it not been for being so bored we were aimlessly watching TV in our cabin we would not have known what was what... we went to watch "Flick"... ya... still not entirely sure what the heck that was about. "American Rock" was better but nothing to brag about, the guitarist, bassist and drummer saved that show. Comedians were just so-so and as one of them said "was all Carnival could afford".

I don't even know how to review the food without straight saying it SUCKED! Main Dining had no flavor and was not cooked to order, Lido... well I'm not sure where to even start, even the salad bar wasn't decent. At breakfast in the main dining room I witnessed rotten bananas being served to people, I ordered Avocado toast and needed a steak knife to cut through the bread. Breakfast I lived on bacon and POG juice, lunch was taco salad from the Cantina (BlueIguana Cantina was probably the only meal I thoroughly enjoyed the entire week) and dinner was sub-par salads without many topping offerings.

My kids lived on hot dogs and ice cream for an entire 7 days. I could go on and on about other things that made me feel like we were in the slums like the extremely musty smell, people walking around the buffet in thong bikinis completely ignoring signs to cover up in that area. The layout was not workable and even after a week still found ourselves lost.

1 note about port, Grand Turk was canceled and we were told it was due to high winds and unsafe to dock, we circled maybe 4 times while the captain attempted and could not make it, OK I understand safety first not a problem and was fine with it even though I really wanted that port... well a few days later find out from a passenger on another ship that they watched us circle and pull off as they docked on the 1st attempt... even heard someone say that their captain laughed and called ours a wuss for not docking. All in all Carnival will need some amazing new ships, to die for port intensive itinerary or for my kids to be doing a school/group trip to ever consider giving them another try.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We booked a reservation for a cruise in July 2017 to sail Mar 2019. In this time we welcomed a baby girl in July 2018. I read the fine print and the infant policy requires passengers to be 6+ months to sail. Our daughter would be 8 months old so we called Customer Service to add her to our booking. The stateroom we booked initially was for 3 ppl. The agent told me to add our baby to our booking required a stateroom upgrade for 4 ppl that would be an additional $550.00 US!? She can’t sleep on an overhead bunk...she can’t use the pools...she can’t use the kids club!!! We walked away from our booking with a $375 cancellation fee and I don’t think we will sail with Carnival Cruise Lines again.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I was supposed to go on the cruise on 4/8/18. That same day at 1:00 am in the morning my mother ended up having a stroke and I had no choice but to call Carnival Cruise Lines customer service and tell them that I wanted to cancel and that I wanted my money refunded. They asked me to email reviews@carnivalcruise.com and explain my situation, and so I did. I even provided proof and send them the papers that my mother was admitted in the hospital. They got back to me and advised that I could not get a refund only a credit towards another cruise which I didn't want to book another cruise.

I waited a couple of months to see if that thought would change but it has not. I called Carnival Cruise customer service and the lady I spoke to was very rude and argued with me, said I could not get the credit back because I didn't purchase a protection plan which I was never explained the details of the protection plan anyways. I cancelled the cruise for a true emergency and still they have no compassion. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they refused to let me speak to one. This is the worst place to book a cruise. I do not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I would never let them steal money from me again. Had to cancel my cruise 40+ days in advance. They would not transfer the $900 to any other cruise. They wouldn't refund any money and they wouldn't let me gift it to someone else. Due to unforeseen events I couldn't go. I would never recommend these thieves. Don't waste your money. Spend it on an all inclusive resort where you will be treated better and not charged for the air you are breathing on top of everything else.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

We went with our 5 and 7 year-old kids. There was barely anything for them to do on the ship. The pool was tiny and freezing. And everywhere we went people were trying to sell us things. And the main nice thing they had for kids to do, which was a place you could drop your kids off for a few hours, cost a lot of money which we did not even realize until we left the ship. This was a really disappointing experience.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We were looking to get a gift card for our daughter who is going on a cruise. We purchased a Carnival gift card for $500. When it arrived we realized that our daughter was booked Royal Caribbean and so we emailed them to return the card (less than a week after the purchase). We assumed that since every business in the US will work with you when you make a mistake, that it would easy to send the card back and get a refund. We were wrong, They would not refund and they were of no help at all. The Guest Solutions and Support department provided neither. We made two requests explaining the situation to different people and got completely stonewalled. I will never travel with Carnival based on their inability to manage a simple issue like this and can only imagine what it would be like to deal with them if you had a problem after you have paid for a cruise.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My wife and I had booked a cruise a while back set to sail on December 22nd, 2018 on the Conquest. I started a new job that now requires me to travel and my job informs me that they need me to be in Fort Myers, FL from December 27th-30th. So needless to say that we are now unable to go on the cruise. I called last week and spoke with Constance who is a rep with Carnival and she informed me that we had two options. Option #1 is to totally cancel and lose everything or Option #2 was to pay a $50 per passenger penalty fee to transfer the cruise to a later date. Obviously we chose Option #2. We did not have the date picked out right at that moment and she said that we had up to 48 hours before sail date to call back and make the change.

I called today on Sunday December 16th, 2018 and spoke with Kumara to give her our new sail date and make the adjustments and she informs me that we do not have Option #2 and we will lose everything. She was very rude and confrontational on the phone. Asked to speak with a supervisor and she just put me on hold for over 15 minutes twice. Are you kidding me??? I understand that I did not buy the insurance for the trip, but how in the world do you go back on what you have told your customer and get treated poorly on top of that??? Finally also spoke with George with the Casino Promotions offering since we did get the cruise booked with their promotions, only to be told the same thing. "Too bad, so sad," is what was relayed. "So sorry that you are going to lose close to $1,500 on the trip on something that is out of my control."

I am sure that this review will fall on deaf ears and not draw any attention from Carnival Cruise Lines. I have been a huge loyal customer with them for close to 20 years and on the brink of being a Platinum Member with them. However, this will be the last time that I ever do any kind of business with them if this is the way that they conduct business. Total breakdown in communication with their call centers along with representatives that are not on the same page and have no care in the world when speaking with their customers. Sincerely, A very disgruntled loyal gold card member.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Carnival needs to retire the Ecstasy vessel. We just came back from the Bahamas. All credit due to housekeeping. Roy was wonderful! Nonetheless the boat constantly smelled like sewage. 2 of the 3 rooms I reserved had bad plumbing causing the showers to back up and flood. Flooding was going on everywhere. They had large shop vac fans and their cords on multiple floors at the elevators which was a safety issue. The only good food was the Pizza Cafe and Guy Fieri burgers and parts breakfast. The free drinks were terrible and you can tell they use filtered sea water.

This was my second experience on the Ecstasy and I must say after smelling sewage for a week...it's my last. The Casino machines are also rigged or malfunctioning. Multiple times they took more money from me and gave me less plays. Also we had to get our money back for our excursion because the bus was over a half an hour late. No more porting out of Charleston. I prefer Royal Caribbean... More to do on their ships.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Disappointment, anger and fear are probably the words to sum up my "experience". I worked on Miracle and it was one of the toughest things I've ever done. To begin with, they forgot to pick us up at the airport and then forgot to give us transport to the ship. Great start. Then on the first day they informed us that they'd broken the law and that we had to make up for it. Again... ON THE FIRST DAY. Every single staff member had to undergo punishment since they were now under probation.

Senior staff were rude and arrogant, often making sexual jokes at a women's expense. If you're ill, they treat you like a criminal and the work hours are horrendous. You're not even allowed to get off the ship for the first few weeks - enough to make anyone go insane. The training was highly inadequate, I never even finished the training that I was supposed to have been taught within my first week, but they "never got round to it". I got shouted at constantly in front of guests, touched inappropriately by male crew and had nobody to ask for guidance.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We just got home from a 5 day cruise 11/29/18. This is our 2nd cruise on the Elation. 1st was great so we decided to get 17 people together for a family friend vacation. Some were 1st timers. 1st issue prepaid things didn't show up on everyone's info. Second rude customer service people. 3rd bought the drink package. As I place a lot in the casino I got something called "drinks on us... Lol." Not on them since I purchase my own drink package and limited to 15 a day. They make it look like you got 30 with that but that BS. 4th sewage smell a lot of times in hallways. Purchased 5 balcony, 2 pictures and 3 inside cabins. Yep a lot of money.

Lied to about a smoking in cabin issue not once, twice but 3 times and was charge $500 but yet didn't smoke in room. Searched our room with no consent nor us in it. Then new pool on 11th deck only open 1/2 time due to lack of staff members. Lousy picture takers for professional pics. Detained same person 2x once coming in once going off. Too much b.s. Spent about $35000 and what a sad trip.

When you are on vacation you should not come home needed another. Came home, called and no one did nothing. Can't go on a cruise ship due to all this but mostly due to the lying of 3 different reason of why they charge me $500 smoking fee... 1... Cigs butts found in room, then cigar sitting unfinished in room. It's $100 cigar and my husband smoked less than a quarter of it and told should have discharged. Wth... No. Then cabin neighbors reported us yet they were with us. Idiots. Wrong answer. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have taken my 3rd cruise with Carnival and this past one on the sensation was terrible. My husband and I spent a lot of money on this cruise and I don't feel we should be paying the rude people their salary. For example... Every bar drink purchased, they automatically take a 1.00 for gratuity. I'm sorry, isn't this based on service??? On average time it took 20 min to even get the bartenders attn... They seem to avoid the smoking section... Then they are rude. I tip on service. No one should decide that for me. Also, we have the option to prepay gratuities, I do not like to, again, that's based on service, we tipped our housekeeper a 100 dollar bill at end of cruise because he was terrific... So it was deserved. But on my final bill they took out 2 big pmts for gratuities... I asked for this back and they refused. So I guess I'm paying their employees. I am livid and it's time for me to try another cruise line!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Carnival doesn't care about their customers. Call them and get the run around. They offer "100% Great Vacation Guaranteed"...yeah right. Terrible. Customer service is probably the worse than McDonald's. Disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Entertainment was under par. Staff was helpful but severely overworked. Ship was overrun with young adults from 18-21 which made the decks and common areas overcrowded and noisy. Shower Water back flowed into the bath area. Septic smells throughout the ship. Disembarkation was a nightmare and ill planned. We understand there was an emergency that resulted in the late departure, however it appeared that the staff did not have a contingency plan in effect. Asking three decks to depart at one time resulted in overcrowding, safety violations, bottleneck around the elevators on deck 7 for over 1 hour, inconsiderate staff that appeared to attempt to hurry the passengers out and were more concerned about the new passengers awaiting to board.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

On the first day of our cruise in June we were getting our passports stamped by all the shops and activities. The Park West guy asked me if I had ever been to one of their auctions. I had and when he asked me what I was looking for or liked, I told him the Peter Max 9/11 series. I received an invitation to the auction and lo and behold the painting I liked was a display for me. Of course it is a 17,000 piece. The gentleman kept working on me and supposedly went down to 6,000. I did agree to the purchase and signed.

The very next day I went back to gallery and told them I could not continue with purchase, as I was within the time frame. He told me he would send an email to corporate to stop process. Long story short I have been charged $950.25 restocking fee for an item I never received and was canceled the very next day. I will never attend a Park West Gallery again. This was our 5th cruise and first time pressured and carrot dangled in front of me. Very expensive lesson. Beware.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

This is our second cruise with Carnival. Our first cruise was wonderful. We didn't have any complaints. We booked our second cruise and couldn't have been more disappointed. The food and service in the dining room was horrible. We waited 40 mins for our drinks and they didn't come together or what I ordered. The prime rib was overcooked and had no flavor. We never went back to our scheduled seating time because lack of service and food. The food at the buffet was bland and not very good.

The drink service was lacking and no one could speak English. It was very frustrating when you had a question, and you weren't understood. The bathrooms were dirty. The hallway to our cabin smelled like sewage. The shows were just ok. Our excursions were wonderful and we were very happy with all of the choices we made. The next time we travel we will be trying a new Cruise line. Carnival was very disappointing. I wish I would of read the reviews before I booked our second Cruise. It looks like the last couple years they've gone downhill by reading the reviews.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I was on the Fantasy. My cabin U12 was very warm. I complained several times. This was a 10-day cruise which I kept my cabin door open to be comfortable. The temp was 73 degrees which was their standard. I paid over $1500 to be hot on my cruise. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

This was my 4 cruise with Carnival Cruise and I wasn't happy with their room, I had file 2 complaint with the front desk during this cruise and they ignore my request and complaint. Now I file a complaint with the cruise line to get the result and they flat line to the person handily the complaint. I now requested for 495.65 to be refund back to my CC in order to compensate for the trouble. They were very rude and careless with their words. I have try to dispute with my CC and they lie to them and “CITIBANK" believe them. Trust me this will be the last cruise I would take with them. They were horrible with their services and concern.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We booked three cabins on Dream several months ago. When we checked last week discovered their clerk never charged us for one of the cabins. Time went by and that cabins was canceled due to non-payment. The clerk never put payment on card, and now thing Carnival says well was never paid. The three cabins were booked at same paid for by my wife and all cruisers were family members. Carnival is in error and acts like it is our problem and our error. They never notified us. One final point - we are travel agents. Think of how they treat clients.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Had to cancel our cruise because of money. Even though we canceled over 90 days in advance they still charged us 800.00. We could use that money. We didn't book the best room. In fact it was probably the cheapest. I always wanted to go on a cruise. It won't be this line when we can. Also the couple we were going with her spouse died suddenly and she was still going to be charged. I wish I could collect money from clients when they can't make an appointment. I know the bottom line is important but this is terrible.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I booked my first cruise two months in advance on the Victory. We were suppose to leave Miami and go to Key West and Cozumel, Mexico (4 day cruise). Upon arrival we were given a change in itinerary on the ramp 30 minutes to departure due to our plane being delayed. At that point we agreed to board and accept the change, not knowing anything about Princess Cays. The food was terrible! Breakfast was cold at the buffet, no warming lamps. Our dinners were not good but if we paid $20 to get the steakhouse selection, then they were wonderful. Additional expense we did not count on. The booze was watered down! I would drink 8-9 drinks per day and never feel buzzed. But I could have 3 beers at the airport with our 4 hour delay and feel pretty intoxicated.

We did not find out why the itinerary was changed until we received a notice under our door. Apparently, they could not go full speed due to engine troubles. (I was not happy to learn this and already be sailing). What I do not get nor could customer relations clarify: Why did we not go to Key West (close to Miami) and then to Nassa versus Cozumel? Instead we went to Nassa and Princess Cays which is even further than Cozumel. This makes no sense! Sadly, Princess Cays had no tourist attractions! It was a rocky beach and Carnival brought lunch over from the ship on these small boats. How can Carnival honestly think any guest would be happy with this itinerary change? No excursions, restaurants or shops??? This was such a disappointment for my first cruise.

I recommend ROYAL CARIBBEAN for anyone thinking of going on a cruise. Carnival is all about the money and not about making their guests happy. ENGINE ISSUES... Cancel the cruise but instead the money was more important to Carnival. Shame on them! We made the best of a bad situation but feel Carnival could have done better with our stops if they insisted on taking a ship that had mechanical troubles. They gave us a $50 credit on our account. Seriously? Our safety is worth $50? Carnival you totally hurt yourselves on this cruise that should have been cancelled. The new itinerary was further away so how did the Captain make this decision? No one in customer relations can answer this... Very concerning.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Returned from 10 day on the Ecstasy Sept 17. Unpacked luggage on bed, and stored it under bed. On 21 Sep woke up in my bed itching, after several nights of this it was finally determined by an exterminator that bed bugs had taken up residence in the bed, he also found them in the luggage and said that was the point of entry, had to burn bed, destroy mattress and rip up carpet. But of course Carnival denied any problem. We are Diamond/Platinum and you would think someone from customer service would offer some solace by phone as we are going out again on the Ecstasy on 10 November. Not even a steak dinner was offered.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Our first cruise, left from Baltimore MD on October 7, 2018 for 7 days to Grand Turk and Bahamas. Upon return Sunday October 14, was feeling a little flu like. Thought it was due to the weather being cooler upon return. Monday started with diarrhea and vomiting consistently. Chills, fevers, we slept with 3 blankets and the heat on 75! Our thermostat never goes above 68 all year long. By Thursday and an additional 4 days missed from work I went to the ER. My husband didn’t think he could make it there without an episode. Preliminary showed some type of infection was treated with an antibiotic. They performed tests, final results came back today positive for salmonella. My husband went on Friday, his results are due back tomorrow. I have improved with antibiotics. The doctor he saw didn’t give him any, he is still sick and had yet to go back to work.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have taken two cruises with Carnival in the past two years and had a good time. I purchased trip insurance both times and didn’t have to use it. We were supposed to take a 8 day cruise to the Bahamas the first week in November 2018 which we booked at a good rate about a year ago. My mom fell and hit her head on September 29. We have been in the hospital fighting strokes, infections, seizures, etc. ever since. It is now October 19th and things were not looking good for my mom so we decided to try to change our cruise to April 2019.

Long story short... we got different answers from different people within customer service. Some said we could just apply our money from this cruise and rebook at a later date and then the next time we called and got a different person, we couldn’t do that. Basically just got the run-around each time my wife called. The final decision was that they said that they would not allow us to just rebook another cruise later because they would not be able to sell our cabin so they forced us to go through the insurance claim process which forced us to lose about $300 according to my wife who had to do all of the negotiating because I was at the hospital all the time.

Well, Carnival, you not only are not going to be able to sell THAT cabin, but you will not ever be able to sell ME another cabin again either. So, congratulations, you have permanently lost a customer for the rest of my life, and anyone I can manage to persuade not to use your cruise lines for the rest of my life. You are a really greedy company who doesn’t care about their customers. I probably would have booked 10 or more cruises the rest of my life, but now that is not going to happen. At least not with you.

Carnival Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carnival Cruise Lines offers cruises with both family-friendly and adult activities.

• America's most trusted cruise line: Reader's Digest voted Carnival America's Most Trusted Cruise Line, as of October 2015.

• Cruise-a-Nality quiz: Before booking, guests can take Carnival's Cruise-a-Nality quiz online to find the perfect cruise.

• Shore excursions price guarantee: Carnival guarantees the best possible price on shore excursions and refunds 110 percent of the price paid if a lower price is found.

• Themed cruises: Carnival offers themed cruises based around popular TV shows, bands and activities such as dance.

• Great Vacation Guarantee: Carnival guarantees guests will love their vacations or get their money back. Any guest that decides the cruise is not what they expected and wants to leave within the first 24-hours is eligible for a full refund plus an additional 10 percent for the inconvenience.

• Best for: The Carnival Cruise liner is best for budget-aware cruisers and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs