Car Hire UK

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On collecting the vehicle I was confronted with real aggressive hard-sell for extra insurance cover equating to an additional Euro 140 over and above the car hire amount booked and confirmed to me online. I declined the extra insurance as had already paid for rental excess cover as part of my travel policy. On declining the insurance Goldcar insisted that clients declining their extra insurance had to pay for "flex fuel and diesel car supplements" as part of their policy or they refused to supply the vehicle. I couldn't find anything in the T & Cs about this so as it was late at night and as I had my family and much luggage, I had no choice but to proceed under protest. The diesel supplement wasn't expensive at Euro 14 but an example of blatant profiteering as there were only x2 cars in Group L and both were diesels anyway.

The flex fuel which promotes "rapid return without need for re-fuelling car" was a double rip off as not only did it have a built-in service charge of Euro 36 but the cost of re-fuelling the car was at an exorbitant Euro 2.29 per litre - when diesel fuel pump prices in Italy were only averaging Euro 1.3 p/l. I was very annoyed especially as I have spent 35 years renting cars and always prefer to return the car full. I am currently liaising with Goldcar's so-called customer services based in Spain and demanding a refund. Not unlike their car rental offices, they don't actually grasp the concept of customer service so all travelers should be warned and be aware of how unprofessional this company really is - Never again!

DO NOT book a car with this company!!! I hired a car for 2 weeks in June and they took a deposit of 250 pounds from my account straightaway. I was asked to leave the car at the car park upon return, ring them and leave a message and leave the keys inside the car which I did. Obviously the car was now under their responsibility and there was no damage to the car. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures! After 4 days I received an email with an invoice attached for the amount of £1250! I had paid to bring the excess down to £75 but this was not mentioned. I decided to wait to see if they were aware of this but after 3 or 4 emails I HAD TO REMIND THEM. Obviously they soon changed their attitude.

However, by September I had not received my deposit back (minus the £75.00) so I had to chase them up again. I have only just got it back but the equivalent of about £125. I had to pay a damage admin fee of £25.00 and the parking which was £26.50 (also parking at the beginning of the rental of £10). Basically disgusting behaviour and if you ask me a total scam!

Please, DO NOT book a car with this company!!! I hired a car for 3 weeks and they took straightaway a deposit of 600 pounds from my account. They asked me to leave the car at the airport after the 3 week period with the keys inside the car so basically there was nobody there to confirm that the car was returned in perfect condition. I rang them up and requested to send someone to collect the car and confirm that everything was fine. They refused!! I said to them that if there was nobody there within 30 minutes I would call the police. They said that the police would not do anything about it!! So I reported it to the police and they advised me to take pictures of the car etc. Two and a half months later and after several e-mails and phone calls I still do not have the money back!! My credit card company is dealing with it at the moment!!

Car Hire UK have a record of dishonesty when dealing with Aussie clients. When they retain deposits etc, do as I did - contact your bank and notify them that an illegal transaction has occurred. My bank the Commonwealth were fantastic. They got my deposit of over five hundred dollars returned. No problem.

I booked and paid for my car hire in May 2015 with Car Hire UK. Double the amount of money was taken out of my credit card than I was quoted. I was advised I would be refunded after 21 days. I have still not received my refund 18 months later. I was not advised of any infringements. The car was returned in perfect condition (photographic evidence). My credit card was debited 650 GBP for 18 days Car Hire and my quote was for 274 GBP for 18 days. There is no customer service. I have rung and emailed and there has never been a response. Their website is deliberately obtuse, with only an email/phone option and no address details. My next step is legal action. I would never recommend this business and will never use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Car Hire UK?

My deposit was taken up front and they refused to return it claiming I had damaged the car plus they asked for another £350. They sent photos of the damage of a different car and had made the damage estimate themselves. Despite many calls and mails to the customer services team they are refusing the back down. Now I am working with Barclaycard to recover the deposit and any further money they take from my card. It is unbelievable that this company continues to operate like this with all the staff at Car-Hire-UK seemingly in on the scam.

I paid my security deposit for the car hire immediately on drop off of the car and have been emailing and calling constantly since the drop off on 2nd July for my deposit back. I did get a parking fine and this I paid immediately to the necessary borough. I have spoken to Olivia so many times at Car Hire UK to discuss my deposit and she informs me that it can take up to 21 working days to return the deposit due to any outstanding infringements that may come in.

As I said I have one parking and have paid it. I am not getting anywhere fast. I notice that they take this deposit immediately in full from your account which is a little unethical. Other car hire companies just take the imprint of your card for any deductions that may need to come out. I am sick of this fight for my own money back. And I have to say will not use them again even if they are cheaper. The cars are old too and certainly not that clean when you receive them. I upgraded from a Citroen C1 to a Hyundai so that I would get a better car and was delivered a Citroen C3. Hmmm.

This company is a complete disgrace. It's a scam. The scam is they take the whole deposit as soon as you book the car, then they hold all the cards while you fight them for your money back. They came up with mythical damage. I took photos of all the dents and scratches on the car when I collected it, but I must have missed this one, anyway, GBP 376.99 for a scratch, a GBP 55.00 cleaning fee (it was not dirty) & GBP 26.50 for dropping the car back early (yes early) plus the bit that pissed me off the most, I had to pay GBP 7.00 to get the car out of the car park at Gatwick where we collected it from. We finally got our balance of the deposit back from them after a million emails, and we claimed the damage on the travel insurance. So no major harm done but lots of grief and aggravation. Complete disgrace and have nothing to do with them.

We used www.vehicle-rent.com/ to rent our car in South Africa. We were led to believe that what we were quoted was the final price. The final fee came to DOUBLE what we were quoted. I am still waiting for their response. The whole booking started on a bad note as they quoted me R800 over the phone, but when they emailed me the invoice it was R1200. I phoned back immediately and they said it was a mistake on their system and they would rectify it. I should have known then that they were dodgy, but I didn't have time to find another car hire, so just went ahead with the booking. Now I am waiting for a refund. The total for 1 day was quoted to be R1500 and my CC has been billed over R3000.

I have had the same problem with many people a few years ago and it is so sad to see that they are still scamming people. I also went through a huge palava of trying to get it back. They have taken Car Hire UK to Brighton County Court recently over this scheme and are ready to start legal proceeding again if they have further evidence. In a nutshell, don't waste any time and money trying to call or send emails to CHUK, go straight to the legal recourses that are available to you as a consumer.

My review is the same as everyone else's. Cheap car rental. Great rates. Returned vehicle Sept 1 and despite e-mails and phone calls up the yin yang promising the complete refund of my USD$1037.85 damage deposit, NOTHING!!! Maurice Goodwin, Director, you should be ashamed of yourself. Emily ** Customer Service phone operator, you are a liar, Peter ** her Supervisor, never return phone calls and is mysteriously always, always out of the office, and lastly, Miss Tina **, Reservations Team XII, stop lying to yourself by sending me e-mails promising that the deposit will be refunded forthwith.

After contacting Car Hire UK many times via emails and telephone calla unanswered, I was not surprised to discover that I am one many people waiting to get back their deposits after checking up on the company on the web.th. I hired three vehicles, a car in April, a mini-bus in August and again a car at the end of August. All was fine with the vehicles. I returned them with the same amount of petrol/diesel and without damage. I did scrape a hub-cap on the mini-bus and they were very quick to quote the repair costs which I confirmed my acceptance to the amount and the deduction from the deposit to be returned as per contract conditions.

They debited my credit card twice for the three hire contracts even when I asked them to pass the first deposit on to the other car rentals. They reply to almost all my emails saying that "your deposits have been authorized" or " you should receive them in 3 to 5 days" but to date they have not kept their word. I will continue to send emails and when I return to the UK I will try to go to their office in person.

I made a telephone booking with Car Hire UK.com and they took my Visa details. The representative said I would get written confirmation shortly. Since then I have received nothing. After checking my bank statement, I realised they had taken the whole amount quoted plus fees for additional driver and "meet and greet." I then became suspicious and researched the company Car Hire UK.com and realised that there were hundreds of complaints against them. I decided to cancel our booking. This I did within 4 working days. I telephoned the company and was told that if I cancelled I would have to forfeit the whole amount as I hadn't taken out "cancellation insurance" with them (something that I wasn't aware of or offered)! I am still waiting for a reply and so far no refund has appeared. I have contacted Trading Standards and they are investigating... Hopefully they can stop this immoral practice! Watch this space!

I hired a car from this company and picked it up at Heathrow on 29th July 2015. He swiped our credit card for 650 pounds as a security deposit and this amount was debited to my account the following day on 30th July. The car was returned on 28th August 2015 and I am still waiting for my deposit to be refunded. We also had to put new wiper blades on the driver's side as they were split. I was advised that I would be reimbursed for the cost, and left the old wiper blade, plus the receipt and a note in the car. To date, I have emailed them every week and phoned them 6 times from Australia with no result. I have requested a name of anyone in a position to help but all I get is a promise that I will get my money back. How can a company be allowed to trade and advertise when they are thieves and liars and what they are doing is against the law. Is there anything I can do to get my money back?

I hired a car from this company in London and when I paid online the rental charge was the only charge showed and confirmed on the payment transaction. A few days later when I checked my credit card statement I noticed that they also charged me for £650 deposit. I immediately queried this charge with no success and they said that I would have been reimbursed within 21 working days after returning the car. I returned the car at the end of July and received confirmation from them saying that my credit card account would have been credited with the refund around August 21st.

It is now mid-October and despite many e-mails and phone calls with promises and lies I am still waiting for the refund. I learned afterwards unfortunately that these people have been practicing this abuse for years. My question is, why are they still allowed to trade despite all the complaints raised? This is clearly a delinquent practice which has been going on for years and which should not be allowed to continue. I sincerely hope the relevant and competent authorities take a drastic and final action to stop these people.

This is by far the worst company I have ever had to deal with. Yes, they are cheaper than the mainstream providers, but there is a reason behind this! The cars they provide are 8+ yrs old with high mileage. Having paid for the additional meet & greet, as well as in-terminal drop-off, I had to pay to exit the car park as well as have a further deduction from my deposit (which I'll come to in a bit), because I returned the car a little earlier than originally stated (despite trying to call them for over 2 hrs prior to returning to inform them). Ridiculous!!!

Now to the deposit, as you have read now from many other people posts, this company will take anything from £250-£1,500 as a deposit WITHOUT even telling you. Fortunately for me, it was only £250, but still I was NOT made aware of this during the online booking process. I only noticed it when my CC statement arrived and when I called, it was clarified to me then - Fine!

Now, this is where the fun begins... Getting your deposit refunded!!! After constant hounding every day with calls and emails, I finally got my deposit (minus the early return fee) back 2.5 months later!!! They do not answer the phones, and when they do, the staff are incompetent and the owners are a bunch of useless **! STAY AWAY FROM THESE JOKERS!!!

The booking process seemed pretty normal. We were greeted at Gatwick airport and taken to our car. The representative produced a laptop and asked to scan my debit card in case the car was damaged. Unknowingly to me they took a whopping 600 pound deposit. I was then given a parking car park ticket and had to pay to leave. It has taken from the 29th of August until the 5th of October to get my deposit back and this was still 20 pound short. It has taken 12 phone calls and sixteen emails to get to this point. If you want a stress free transaction go to one of the main car rental companies and don't be fooled by this company's glossy website.

Hired a new Ford ka for £7.00 a day and we drove to Scotland and back. I ended up after a tiring night hitting two park cars. It was an accident but Car hire uk are not interested. They told me I had an insurance excess of £75.00 and they wont give back. I'm in the same boat as everyone else here writing reviews. I try contacting trading standards but they just idiots told me if I damaged the vehicle I should pay. Has anyone got any advise on how I can get my deposit back? After all why should I lose out? I've threatened the company that I write reviews online and cause all sorts of trouble if they don't give me all my money back now. My advice is yes the service is ok and cars fine but I had been ripped off for paying for damage, if it's an accident which it was I should not have to pay!

CAR HIRE UK.COM - My persistent reminders to them to return deposit failed so contacted UK trading standards. Directed to the company location complaints area in Bromley Kent. They advised me: "The trader concerned has since relocated their UK Customer Services Centre and their Registered Office to St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex, from where they also run their Repair Centre, thereby no longer having any connection with Bromley.

I have therefore forwarded a copy of your email to East Sussex Trading Standards. Fair Trading Officer - Trading Standards, Communities, Economy & Transport, East Sussex County Council. Tel: **. Fax: 01323 463422. Email: **. D Floor, West Block, County Hall, St Anne's Crescent, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 1UE. Recommend to email the reservations department with a brief outline of your complaint mark for the attention of Mr. Maurice ** and also mark with the subject as COMPLAINT." So anyone wants to complain about returning deposit on time follow the above procedure.

I hired a minibus for my buddies and I on a recent fishing trip to the lovely midlands area in the UK. Alarm bells starting ringing on the morning we picked up the bus. Firstly we had to pay the parking ticket when exiting the airport carpark (£5). It was then I noticed that the fuel tank had barely anything in it, so I took some photos of the display with my phone which was timed and dated.

The guy who handed over the keys was pleasant, but he had to take my credit card details and a whopping £1000 deposit which I wasn't aware of, and it was never mentioned at the time of booking nor when I spoke to a customer service agent the week before we arrived. I paid it anyway, just so we could get on our way, and the rep told me I'd receive a full refund once the vehicle was dropped back. He also took details of when we'd be dropping the vehicle back, and gave me a full list of instructions as to what number to call and where to park the vehicle. He also stated (this is important) that we had to pay the parking ticket upon exit, but not upon return of the vehicle.

We returned the vehicle as agreed after our trip. After being home a week, I noticed that no refund was made. I called Car Hire UK several times, but no answer, even after holding for over an hour on one occasion. I emailed a customer service rep I'd been dealing with (Emily), and still no reply. I eventually got speaking to some guy after a week of trying, and he was quite abrupt and unhelpful on the phone. He told me that the deposit would be refunded after 21 days, and when I pointed out to him that nobody made me aware of this when I paid the deposit, he just hung up the phone. I was very annoyed at this response.

To cut a long story short, I had to wait 32 days before any deposit was returned to me, and I was short £13. I probably wouldn't have got my deposit only for my persistent phone calls and emails. The £13 penalty was because I returned the vehicle early (according to them), which was just 15 mins before the agreed time with the rep on the morning of our arrival. This £13 was for airport parking for the returned vehicle. On top of all of this I've had to pay £45 to my credit card company for purchase interest due to the delay in getting the funds back into my account. I pointed all of this out to "Emily" via a mail thread, but to no avail. This company are a disgrace to deal with, I will never use them again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Beware of Car Hire UK, scam artists!!

I hired a car from CAR HIRE UK last month. Upon arriving at airport the guy deducted 250 pounds as a deposit which I saw funny since I had paid to waive my access. I also had to pay for the car park which seemed quite funny too. Whilst in the UK I never got through to this company and the once I did, a guy who seemed quite old told me the story of his life and convinced me I will be refunded the money. On arriving back home I waited a week and after seeing that I didn't get my refund back I called them. Got the old guy back on the line who said to wait 21 days. In the meantime there is no online chat as no one answers. No e-mail. I still didn't get the money. This is a fraud company and seems the UK police know about it yet this company still operates to fraud us?

FRAUD!!!!! BEWARE!!!! FOR PEACE OF MIND FIND OTHER BUDGET RENTALS!!! I was planning a trip to Scotland. I booked the car from London Heathrow. As it was possible to change the booking, I changed it to collect the car from Newcastle. I was informed that the modifications were not possible. The contract had been cancelled by Car Hire UK as the modifications were not possible (due to the high demand of cars in Newcastle. And I understand that. What I don't understand is that the contract is cancelled and I have not been refunded the money for the rental of the car.

I had the wonderful experience of hiring a car from Car Hire UK.. They have a exciting customer service centre, however, no one from the company can write or read. I am still 120GBP out of pocket some 4 years ago. When you go to the web page and key in your claim Number. This has been deleted. The deletion certainly stops any queries from anyone to the Company. Solution to contact Bromley Trading, who are listed as the place to lodge a complaint. However, this is a complete waste of time. If you are out of the UK as I was in Bunbury West Australia, they could not care or less. Out of sight out of mind.

They are as effective with Customer Service as the Car Hire UK customer service. There would be a race to see who of the two companies provide a lack of service. Information through the web on the Bromley site asking for complaints to help with a case. I provided absolutely every piece of information and lo and behold they replied as NOT INTERESTED to proceed. I am certain if this information with regards to these two companies the ACCC and Australian Federal Police would do something. Just shows don't trust any English listed company on the web as there is not come back if there is a problem.

I booked and paid for a car from Europcar Hire on the 06/02/15. The car was to be an automatic Ford Focus, or similar, as my partner only has an automatic licence. On arriving at the Village, following a 27 hour flight from Brisbane Australia, there was no car for us. The person I was dealing with tried his best to sell me an upgrade, which I declined on numerous occasions, explaining that I had used Europcar at Manchester on many occasions and have never had to pay for an upgrade, especially as it is not our fault if they haven't put a car aside for our arrival.

On receiving our credit card details Europcar had charged us 233.64 British pounds ($460.11) for an upgrade. I have since sent two e-mails to Europcar Hire in the UK and have still not received a reply in regards to this matter. Could be the last time we use their company. Shame as until now all has been good.

I hired a car from Australia, in March, for use in May, using the website Car Hire UK. I was somewhat surprised to find slightly over the quoted amount taken out of my bank in March. Later in April £600 was removed from my bank account. I contacted them and was assured it was for insurance and if the car was returned undamaged this would be refunded to me.

I duly collected the car at Heathrow in May, and had to pay £10 to leave the car park. I was told to leave the car in Gatwick, where a man would come 10 mins after my call to the company to check the car. I duly did this... after calling many times to report the car return, and waiting over 30 mins I finally had to go to get my plane. The car was not damaged. I had an email later that day from **, saying the damage to the car was going to cost me over £500. The 'photos' attached were black and white photocopies, with number plate, muddy, and could be any car. The time on the label was while I was still driving to Gatwick. I pointed this out in an email, but ** says I damaged the car. This is a lie. I am back in England in two weeks... where can I go for help?

My son-in-law and daughter hired a car from car-hire-uk.com in December 2014 when they arrived from Singapore starting 21st December. They returned the car on their departure on 2nd February. They paid a returnable deposit of £800. This has not been returned despite many emails (10 this week). Typical email reply 21st May "can confirm this is in process" **. 27th May "still looking in to this" **. How do you suggest we can get the 800 from this company whose email address is car-hire-uk.com.

We hired a car for travel to Europe and they provided the cheapest price but deducted GBP700, several weeks before our journey began, for the security deposit. We opted for airport meet and greet and met the guy, who was fine, but once in the car we realized we had to pay over GBP10 to get out of the car park. First car was ok but about 3 or 4 yrs old and lots of minor damage and when we parked up in the centre of London about an hour later, the window wouldn't close and we had to drive back to the airport and get a different car which was about 4 or 5 yrs old.

The agent took details of our journey to France and assured us we would receive the documents for overseas travel later that day, by email. We did not receive the documents, so I then spent 3 or 4 hours on the phone, constantly being told I was next in line and finding the 'helpline' to be anything but... Most major companies provide the travel documents, insurance papers and overseas contacts in case of problems with the car, but I didn't receive the documents and traveled overseas without them and fortunately we were not subjected to the random checks that occur at the port.

Once in France we suffered a puncture, as the result of a badly worn tyre. We had to pay for a new tyre as apparently the contract does not cover tyre damage, even though the tyre was worn out. When driving back we realized the windscreen wipers were also very poor and it was not safe to drive in the torrential rain. Finally the car was collected at Heathrow by the agent and we spent the next six weeks waiting for the refund of the GBP700 which I received yesterday.

If you do not need to contact the company and have no problems with your hire car, I am sure they would be fine but if you need customer service contact forget it. I was so stressed before our journey and with the lack of cooperation from the team and with the unsatisfactory vehicles at this company means I will not be using them again and would not recommend them.

My family and I traveled from Australia for a 5 week holiday to the UK in December. We hired a car from this company for our whole trip. The total cost for our car was around £1070, the deposit was £900. The car was only 3/4 full of fuel when it was dropped off to us (should have been full), and it wasn't as clean as I would expect a hire car to be. During our trip, both headlamp bulbs needed replaced at the same time, a cost of £18, which we obviously paid at the time.

We returned the car, and only about a month after we returned, I realised the money from our deposit, and the headlamps had not been refunded. I called the company, and was told it would be authorised, and was being looked into. Several phone calls and emails later, it still is not back in my account, despite being advised it had been authorised, on a number of occasions.

I then followed the company formal complaints procedure, and was told the money would be paid back, and as an offer of goodwill, I would be given a special membership for the next year, at a reduced cost of £99! I was also informed there was a cleaning charge of £40 (expensive cleaner) and a parking fine of £10 to be taken off the original deposit. I declined this offer, and instead suggested that the money I have been charged in interest from my credit card company should be refunded to me instead, and that I would like a copy of the parking ticket. I am still waiting for the money, and the company has stopped answering my emails now. I have raised it as a dilute with my credit card company, but will also take it to trading standards authority in the UK.

Like everyone else, I have not had my deposit refunded. I reserved the vehicle February 23rd for collection on March 11th. Without my knowledge, they deducted 650 pounds from my cc. Returned the vehicle March 20th - no damage. After 21 days deposit not returned. Numerous promises to do so since then so we are left with no option but to take action against this group. With all these complaints, I cannot understand why they are permitted to continue to operate in the UK and elsewhere.

We hired a car from car-hire-uk.com over the telephone on the 21st of February for our son's Christening (for 1 day) as we had a lot of family who travel in from abroad and needed a 7-seater. We were told that we need to pay the deposit of £350 and subject to no penalty charges incurred and no damages to the vehicle are done it will be refunded to us within 21 working days.

Today is 6th of May and after numerous phone calls, being on hold for ages and ages, loads of emails back and forth we STILL haven't received our deposit back. Every time I am told that 'We are looking into it for you' 'Please rest assured we will get this resolved for you as soon as possible' 'The refund has been authorized and should hit your account within 2-3 working days'. Basically lies, lies and more lies. My patience has ran out and I contacted Trading Standards (Citizen Advise) in London and they advised me what to do further. ** won't get rid of me until I get our money back! I will NEVER recommend them to anyone and I hope this review will travel around to protect other potential victims.

Car Hire UK Company Profile