Best Transportation and Rideshare Apps
Few inventions have changed public transportation quite like rideshare apps. Consumers can call for a personal driver with a push of a button, and the popularity of rideshare apps has been challenged by taxi companies and government regulations.
Now, there are numerous rideshare apps to help consumers get to their destinations. From apps that hail personal drivers for one-way trips to those that allow consumers to rent cars directly from owners, the diverse selection of rideshare apps helps consumers find the service that best fits their needs.
Compare Reviews for Top Transportation and Rideshare Apps
Read 2,617 Reviews
Turo started in 2009 in San Francisco and has since expanded to offer its car sharing service in participating cities in the United States and Canada. Turo is dedicated to making car sharing a thriving industry.
Read 1,762 Reviews
Founded in 2009 and launched in 2010, Uber operates in over 500 cities throughout the world. Uber’s easy-to-use app and rapid expansion plan make it a useful rideshare option for people in participating cities.
Read 613 Reviews
Since its launch in the summer of 2012, Lyft has been offering rideshare services to consumers in many United States cities. Its easy-to-use app allows for a quick and convenient way to catch a ride.
Read 1,805 Reviews
Greyhound was founded in 1914 and now serves more than 3,800 destinations across North America. Greyhound has partnerships with many other independent bus lines as well as additional entities such as BoltBus and Greyhound Express.
Read 926 Reviews
Founded in 1991, Amtrak is a passenger railroad service that provides intercity travel across the contiguous United States. Amtrak serves over 500 destinations in 46 states with its headquarters in Union Station in Washington D.C.
Read 129 Reviews
With operations in over 500 cities across nine countries, Zipcar is one of the leading car sharing networks in the world. Zipcar was founded in 2000 and has a collection of over 50 makes and models of self-service vehicles.
Read 182 Reviews
Read 712 Reviews
Megabus.com offers city-to-city bus tickets for low prices. Consumers buy tickets online, using either their computers or the Megabus phone app. Megabus has major transportation hubs across the United States and Canada.
|Arro||Read Expert Review|
In 2015 the Arro app launched to help taxis compete with the growing rideshare market. The simple, easy-to-use app lets consumers hail cabs at the push of a button, and it automatically pays cab fare and tip.
|Curb||Read Expert Review|
Free taxi app makes booking a cab easy and convenient. All rides are with professional drivers in industry-regulated vehicles. Simply request and pay for rides through your phone. Customer service is available via phone and email.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Expert reviews for rideshare apps
Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.
Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.
Founded in San Francisco in 2009 and launched in 2011, Getaround is a car sharing service that allows drivers to rent cars from their owners. Getaround currently operates in San Francisco, Oakland, Portland, Berkely, Washington D.C. and Chicago.
- Peer-to-peer rental: Getaround works by renting a car directly from the owner. Owners register their vehicles with Getaround, set their own rates and receive 60 percent of the rental earnings.
- Insurance included: All Getaround rentals are insured through Getaround’s primary insurance policy. This policy covers liability, collision, property damage and uninsured motorist protection.
- 24/7 roadside assistance and support: Consumers who encounter trouble can contact Getaround for assistance. Getaround offers 24/7 roadside assistance through The National Automobile Club.
- Getaround Connect™: The Getaround Connect™ is an electronic device installed in a renter’s car that provides GPS tracking, engine lock and tamper protection, so owners can monitor their cars. The Enhanced Security option allows owners to immobilize their cars starter when it is not in use during a Getaround trip.
- Digital key: The Getaround app works with a digital key. Consumers use the app to unlock the car to access their rental.
- Best for: Getaround is best for consumers who want to rent a car to drive themselves and for owners who want to monetize their inactive cars.
Turo is a car rental marketplace for travelers in the United States and Canada who can choose to rent cars from nearby owners. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009.
Via is an on-demand transportation company in New York, Chicago and Washington D.C. The company was founded in 2012 and offers its transportation services at a flat rate.
- Experienced drivers: Via’s drivers are trained and experienced, and all are covered with the required insurance. Consumers can rate their drivers to let Via better monitor their performance.
- Sharing with others: Via is a carpool service, meaning that consumers will share rides. This keeps costs and carbon emissions down in participating cities.
- Corner to corner service: To keep the driver’s route fast efficient, each pickup takes place on the nearest corner along the route. After booking a ride, consumers are directed to their nearby pickup location.
- Refer a friend: Via’s refer a friend program allows consumers to refer their friends to earn discounts on rides.
- Flat-rate fee: Via’s flat-rate fee means that there are no surprise charges for a ride. Prices vary from city to city, so consumers should check the company website for a full list of prices.
- Best for: Via is best for consumers in New York, Chicago and Washington D.C. who want a carpool service that’s a cheaper alternative to taxis or individual rides.
Formerly called InstantCab, Summon is an on-demand platform that consumers can use to get a ride quickly. Summon uses both personal drivers and taxis and currently operates in San Francisco.
- Taxis and personal drivers: Because Summon uses both personal drivers and taxi services, plenty of drivers are available for consumers to use. Consumers can choose from taxis, personal drivers or first available.
- Scheduled pickups: The option to schedule pickups ahead of time can help consumers design their own trip schedules. Cancellations are free up to 30 minutes before pickup.
- Driver vetting process: Summon verifies each of their drivers through a series of background checks and training. For a complete list of their requirements, see the Summon website.
- Airport flat fares: For trips to or from airports in the San Francisco area, Summon offers flat fees. These prices are available only for personal drivers; standard meter fees apply to taxis.
- Blog: Summon’s blog is updated with news about the service. The blog also contains profiles of drivers.
- Best for: Summon is best for consumers in the San Francisco area who want the option to choose between personal drivers or taxis.
Formerly known as GetTaxi, Gett is a mobile app for booking cars that is usable in over 60 cities around the world. Consumers request or schedule a cab anywhere in participating cities, and Gett for business offers transportation solutions and management software.
- No surge pricing: Gett is committed to transparent, reliable pricing. Gett guarantees no surge pricing, and fixed quotes are available as soon as the ride is requested.
- Book for now or later: Consumers can either request for immediate pickup, or they can schedule a ride for a future time.
- Gett for business: Gett can partner with businesses to offer their ride services at predictable prices and dependable schedules.
- 24/7 live customer care: Gett offers 24/7 customer care via their Gett in Touch email service or their phone number.
- Surge reimbursement credit: Users in New York who have paid surge prices from other rideshare services can send proof to Gett in order to get ride credit equal to their surge charges.
- Best for: Gett is best for consumers in participating cities who need a taxi and want to avoid surge pricing.
Launched in 2015, Arro is an app that allows consumers to hail taxis with a push of a button. Arro is currently available in Boston, Chicago and New York, and the company plans on expanding to more United States cities.
- Standard meter rates: Arro follows standard regulated taxi fares—no surprise charges or surge pricing.
- Pay current cab: Consumers can pay their current cab with the Arro app, even if they hailed a cab the old-fashioned way.
- Automatic payment: The consumer’s fare and tip are paid automatically at the end of the trip. There is no extra cost to pay with the Arro app.
- Notification sign-up: Consumers can sign up to be notified when Arro becomes available in their current cities.
- Streamlined interface: Arro’s simple interface allows users to simply tap on the screen to hail the nearest taxi. If they are already in a taxi, they can easily type in that taxi’s code set up an automatic payment.
- Best for: Arro is best for users in participating cities who need a quick taxi to their destination without paying surge prices.
Zum is a rideshare service in the San Francisco Bay Area and Orange County that offers scheduled and on-demand rides and care for children. Consumers use the Zum app to schedule rides for their children from a small team of dedicated, specially-selected drivers and childcare professionals. Zum Kids App allows children to access their schedules and to stay informed about their drivers and routes.
- Extensive driver vetting: Each Zum driver is personally matched to consumer’s needs and has extended childcare experience and strong driving backgrounds. All of them must pass FBI and DOJ background checks, and DMV records are consulted on a regular basis. Zum has a zero tolerance policy for intoxicated drivers.
- Single family or Carpool rides: Consumers have an option for single-family or carpool rides at different rates. Single-family rides are more expensive but conform to the consumers’ schedules. Carpooling saves money but may be a bit slower.
- Recurring scheduled rides: The Zum rideshare app makes setting a calendar easy for recurring rides, allowing consumers to set regular schedules for their children.
- Childcare: Childcare service can be added before, during or after a ride in 15-minute increments. Zum charges $6 for every 15 minutes up to a maximum of two hours.
- Zum for seniors: Zum also offers a dedicated driving service for senior citizens. Seniors or their family members can use the Zum app to schedule rides.
- Best for: Zum is best for busy families in the San Francisco Bay Area and Orange County who need travel solutions or nanny services for their children.
HopSkipDive was founded in 2014 by working mothers who wanted to help other busy families keep up with their schedules. With the HopSkipDrive rideshare app, users can schedule car rides and pickups for their children. HopSkip Drive currently operates in the Los Angeles area.
- Safety considerations: Each HopSkipDrive driver completes a 15-point driver certification process (which can be viewed online) and must have extensive childcare experience. HopSkipDrive also uses personalized code words selected by consumers to make sure their children can confirm the driver.
- Meet your driver: When consumers set up a ride, they are matched with a HopSkipDrive CareDriver. They are given full profile information each driver to make sure they are a good fit for their family.
- Real-time tracking: Consumers can use the HopSkipDrive rideshare app to track their child(ren)’s ride in real-time.
- Single-family and carpool options: HopSkipDrive’s single-family rate begins with a $16 minimum. Carpool services start at a $10 flat rate per family.
- Schedule recurring rides: Consumers can schedule recurring rides with the HopSkipDrive app. They can also set carpool schedules with other families through the app.
- Best for: HopSkipDrive is best for busy families in Los Angeles who want a safe and efficient way to transport their children to keep them on a schedule.
NYC-based rideshare app offers Bliss, Lux and SUV services. Pricing is calculated on base fare plus per-minute and per-mile charges. The company charges drivers lower commissions than competitors.
- Discounts: Enjoy 30 percent off your first two weeks. Riders can also receive 30 percent off rides for two weeks when they refer a friend to the Juno app.
- Experienced drivers: Only highest-rated drivers can become Juno drivers.
- Selection: Bliss is Juno’s basic tier of ride service. Lux ride service comes with a more luxurious vehicle and SUV services are available to accommodate up to 6 passengers.
- 24/7 customer service: Juno Help Center is available through phone, text or email to answer questions or resolve issues.
National taxi app quickly connects riders to licensed, insured professional taxi drivers in almost every major U.S. city. Available in a large selection of languages for Apple and Android devices.
- Ride options: Request immediate pickup or reserve a taxi up to 24 hours in advance.
- Curb for Business: Efficient platform for employee travel management.
- Curb Concierge: Allows users to book taxis for guests and patrons.
- Pair & Pay: Quick and convenient payment option available in New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami and Los Vegas.
- Availability: Over 100,000 drivers in nearly every major U.S. metro area.
Free app for scheduling private car services in 16 metro areas and 22 airports in the U.S. Create a list of favorite drivers to request for future rides. Available for Apple and Android devices.
- Flat rates: Total fare price is always known at scheduling—no surge pricing due to traffic or demand.
- Scheduling: Book a ride two hours or two months in advance. Wingz fleet of professional drivers can accommodate late night and early mornings.
- Traveling with children: Drivers can provide car seats upon request.
- Trustworthy: All Wingz drivers are carefully vetted to ensure reliable and personalized driver experiences.
- Cancellation policy: Free cancelation for rides canceled up to two hours before scheduled pickup for any reason or less than two hours if the reason is out of the driver’s control.
Taxi app available in the San Francisco Bay area, San Diego, Sacramento and Seattle. Request a cab, track locations, get notifications when your ride arrives and pay automatically through the app.
- Reliable pricing: Always pay standard fares with no surge pricing, no matter how busy drivers are.
- Flywheel Pay: Accepts a variety of different payment methods. Flywheel Pay is integrated with traditional meters as well as soft meters.
- Customer service: Customer service representatives are available via phone and email 24/7.
- Easy to use: Simply request a cab, watch it arrive and pay with a few taps on your Apple or Android smartphone.
Compare Reviews for Top Transportation and Rideshare Apps
|Flywheel||Read Expert Review|
Through the app, eHail lets riders connect with hundreds of local professional taxi drivers. Simply request a ride and the closest taxi driver will pick you up, regardless of the company. Compatible with Apple and Android devices.
|Getaround||Read Expert Review|
Getaround is a car sharing service that is committed to building an efficient transportation system by letting owners rent their idle cars to consumers. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2009 and launched in 2011.
|Gett||Read Expert Review|
Founded in 2010, Gett (formerly GetTaxi) launched in Tel Aviv in the summer of 2011. This application connects users with taxi drivers in the area. Gett is available in over 60 cities all over the world.
|HopSkipDrive||Read Expert Review|
Founded by three working mothers in 2014, HopSkipDrive is a ride service for children designed to help busy families. The HopSkipDrive app allows consumers to schedule rides and carpools with drivers dedicated to childcare.
|Juno||Read Expert Review|
Rideshare app servicing New York City and some surrounding areas. Comes with in-app tipping options and live 24/7 customer support via phone, email and text. Compatible with Apple and Android devices.
|Summon||Read Expert Review|
Founded in 2012 as InstantCab, Summon operates in the San Francisco area. Summon gives consumers the option of choosing between a taxi or a personal driver to keep a large pool of drivers available and reliable.
|Via||Read Expert Review|
Founded in 2012, Via is an on-demand carpool service that allows consumers to share rides with others to save money and keep traffic low. Via charges a flat-rate fee and operates in New York, Chicago and Washington D.C.
|Wingz||Read Expert Review|
Schedule rides to and from the airport up to two months in advance. Professional and experienced drivers are available, and riders can select favorite drivers for future rides. Fixed-rate fares are available at booking.
|Zum||Read Expert Review|
Created to help working families in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zum is a rideshare app and service designed specifically for children. Zum uses its team of drivers to help keep families and children on their busy schedules.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
Keep an eye on your inbox, the latest consumer news is on its way!