Azamara Cruises

Compare Cruise Lines

Research top Cruise Lines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a health problem after putting a deposit down on an Azamara Cruise. I called the company to make sure I was still far enough out from the sailing date to get my deposit back. The company agent,after looking at my booking, assured me I would get all but $350 back if I cancelled more than 120 days out. I waited for another 30 days but my health problems continued so I called the company to cancel since I was still over 120 days out.

Now they told me my cancellation would cost me over $1200. When I complained, they referred me to the original agent, ** on Thursday May 11th. He told me his supervisor would have to review the telephone tapes and they would call me back. When I did not hear from them I called ** on Friday. He said he was not working the weekend but he would know Monday and call me Tuesday. I did not hear from him Tuesday, so I called. Now he said that his supervisor would have to get approval from his supervisor, and that supervisor from his supervisor. I called Wednesday and he did not return my call. All the supervisors have had plenty of time to listen to the promises made to me on the telephone tapes. Now the company is just purposely dragging their feet. After a week of calling I do not have my promised refund less the $350 cancellation fee or even a return phone call. I would caution all against doing business Azamara.

Unfortunately we had to cancel, because of my wife's health, a wonderful trip. We had insurance and Azamara quickly refunded our money. They also refunded the airfare to Choice Air on Dec. 23. It is now March 5. We have called Choice Air many times, our travel agent has called Choice Air to no avail. Choice Air has held on to our almost $9000 since last year and will not give us our money, will not pay interest on holding our money and we are at out wits end. Don't book a trip with any company that uses Choice Air.

When we booked the cruise, we did so for two reasons: 1) there were no formal children activities, and 2) there was free wine with dinner. We booked in the summer for a Christmas cruise. On Dec. 8th, they changed their free wine policy. Now there is no free wine. This is bait and switch. Beware.

Bait and Switch Advertising Special Sale 11/25 - Booked - Received Booking Confirmation # 2187953 (Cruise, Air, and transfers) on 11/25, then nothing. Start to press for Airline information as this was Denver to Barcelona. Now 11/28 and after being bounced around between Azamara,RCCL,& Celebrity agents they want to Re-Do the Deal where I have to pick up the AIR. They cancelled booking without notification to me on 11/25 and claimed it was a computer failure.

We have just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Azamara Quest from Hong Kong to Beijing and we were very dissappointed with the service we received. The ship claims to be 5 star but it does not meet this criteria. The staterooms were very small and the shower room was tiny. It was an ordeal having a shower. The butler service was a joke and on the one occasion we had breakfast in our cabin, it was incomplete and cold. The facilities for in room dining are totally inadequate. The compulsary gratuity of $12.50 per person per day was never mentioned when we booked, as was the 18% gratuity on everything else you used on board.

The prices of the wines and liquor were way over the top, resulting in the bars and lounges being empty, cold and devoid of atmoshere. The entertainment was so laid back, it was almost non existent.

To top it all, the hygiene on board, particularly the Windows Cafe, was so bad, Norovirus was rampant and we discovered it had been on board when we joined the ship in Hong Kong. The shore excursions were over priced and certainly not value for money. The ship is not geared for winter sailing and it was often very cold everywhere on board. For the last 4 days, our airconditioing unit did not work so we had no heat in our cabin.

This was supposed to be a trip of a lifetime for my husband and myself as he is retiring in March but it has left a bitter taste with us and cost us over $1000 more in gratuities and drinks. We will never cruise Azamara again and will be warning friends not to use them either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Azamara Cruises?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Azamara Cruises Company Profile