2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.8/5 (213 ratings)

About Avianca

Avianca Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I have been trying to book my flight with Avianca for 1 week. Finally through their Whatsapp help option they sent a separate link and I booked my flight but the payment status said "being validated". I called my bank and there was no attempted charge. I called Avianca and they said the reservation was cancelled. If I didn't call Avianca I would have not known my reservation was cancelled. I was referred back to the website to book...but website was not working. The Avianca rep said he can help to book it but for $30 per passenger. So the customer has to pay more money for their website not working. I asked for the supervisor's name and he mentioned they can't give that information.

I was finally able to speak to the supervisor who was hesitant in providing her name and refused to provide her supervisor/manager name. The supervisor explained that they can not provide supervisor or manager names, company rule. I asked if the supervisor can help me book and waive the $30 per passenger fee since their website is not working and they cancelled my reservation without notifying me. NO HELP! I'm not sure if it's incompetency but definitely lack of training to trouble shoot and most definitely a lack of care for customer services. If you want great customer service DO NOT USE AVIANCA.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Their website doesn't work. It's impossible to cancel a ticket, it's no use sending an email, getting in touch by phone, or WhatsApp, they'll disappear with your money. Inflight service is a joke. I do not recommend. I never travel from Avianca again in my life.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

The selection of available flights to book with Lifemiles has become minuscule -- in many cases I can't find any flights on Lifemiles, thought flights show as available with Air Canada and United miles. I foolishly bought 245,000 miles just before Covid hit -- worst investment of my life.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Me and my family travel from Cali Colombia to NYC on July 3rd, when we got home we realized all our jewelry was missing from one our luggage (watches, necklaces, earrings), they responded it was our fault for putting it in there and took no responsibility for such a crime, employees stealing from customers properties, how pity, AVIANCA never again.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I have no respect for the way they handle customer service. The lack of respect with time is just ridiculous. 2 hours on the phone and the issue was not resolved. After 2 attempts my patience was gone.

Original review: July 11, 2021

THE WORST AIRLINE EVER. My flight was "closed" 1.5 hrs before departure. Calling for a refund and keep getting transferred between departments. My father is a pilot and my mother was both a flight attendant and ticket agent, so I know how the system works. There's no way a flight is closed 1.5hrs before departure. Not even 1HR before departure...That ticket cost almost $800 and there's no one available to talk to about a refund. I'm told to put a request through online..The website is down and there's no supervisor. I asked to have a supervisor call me and was told that can't be done. WHAT DOES THIS AIRLINE DO is the better question.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I bought 2 tickets from Miami to Managua, on December 15, 2019. It was canceled because of covid-19 pandemic, I've been trying to get my refund back for over a year now and still waiting. It is impossible to reach customer service.

Original review: July 2, 2021

6 tickets bought in 2020, Avianca assures you that you can book before 12-31-2021 at no cost, not true, but even if you were to book paying what they charge you from 200 to 340 per person, your booking is not guaranteed. They state they had problems with the system and payment did not go through. You stay on the phone for hrs to get a customer service person and they are unable to resolve your issue. No tickets back, no money back. Do not travel with Avianca, I lost more than 3000 dollars with that company.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Worst flying program and customer service. I redeemed a flight ticket from Colombia to Spain; unfortunately, I couldn't travel, so I cancelled my booking. I spent one day calling customer service with no success, then I emailed them and took ages to reply to my emails, and finally, they cancelled my booking. Still, the worst part is that Lifemiles reimbursed my milages and taxes 4 months later and I couldn't use my miles afterwards because they expired already! Please avoid this dodgy company; you can only redeem your miles with Avianca, which they are ALWAYS late.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I have an Avianca travel voucher from a flight I could not take last year due to COVID. The voucher is for the full amount of my initial booking. The issue is that you cannot use the voucher online. You have to book over the phone. It takes upwards of an hour to get anyone on the phone and the phone prices are $200-$250 more when you book over the phone as opposed to online. What this amounts to in practice, is that the voucher a customer received is worth less than what they paid because prices are artificially inflated over the phone. Airlines are notorious for having terrible customer service policies and this is just another one to add to the list. I will be avoiding this airline at all costs for future flights to Latin America. A company that forces people to pay more due to a pandemic is not a company I want to do business with.

Avianca Company Information