Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.90/5
Based on 1,039 ratings submitted in the last year

Amtrak Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amtrak?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amtrak?

Original review: April 4, 2021

I've taken your Empire Service to/from Upstate NY many times. The exception is when the train is actually on time. Pretty terrible service and horrible customer service. You should improve it. Maybe more people would be inclined to use your service.

Original review: March 15, 2021

As I am writing this message we are stuck in Colorado for over 13 hours right now! I’m sitting in Amtrak room with my 1 year old and service dog and husband! I am so disappointed this many hours passed and we didn’t even move! We don’t know when we will get to San Francisco. I’m running out of diaper and dog food if we don’t get to San Francisco by tmr. Our room is so dirty. Looks like they don’t clean this train at all! Service is not good. You can’t even walk in the room. It’s that small! Food is terrible! I am so disappointed. PLEASE DONT USE THIS COMPANY. I spend over $2000 for this! I can’t believe it.

Get buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

I tried to type this all out but site limits number of characters so here’s the short version. Employees rude. Cafe staff worse than rude. Food not good. Overall horrible experience. Do not travel Amtrak.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

My mom is a 77 year old senior. Her bag was 7lbs overweight and they refuse to check her bag or let her pay for overage. There was no manager on site and we were told no one could help us. I called customer service and they were no help. They sat and watched as my mom had to unpack and leave necessities she needs for her 22 hour trip. They are heartless! Take the plane or drive if you have that option...anything but Staples Mill Amtrak!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

This is my first time on a train and thought I would have a good experience. I did not. Employees were very rude the whole 2 hour ride to Winter Haven. I will never ride Amtrak again. My mother in law was forced to wear a mask even though there were no other passengers near her. She told employees it made her sick to wear it but all we were told... Company policy????

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I usually take Amtrak when going back home from Chicago where I go to school. On many of my trips, we stop for 30min to AN HOUR OR LONGER so maintenance can “check” the train... but they never really completely specify why we are stopped and why we have been stopped for so long. What I don’t understand is why maintenance doesn’t check the train before all passengers arrive. I don’t understand why they’re taking time out of our trip, causing the arrival time to be a lot later than expected. It’s annoying. I don’t want to be sitting on the train 30 min-an hour longer than I have to.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I tried to book a $20 Acela anniversary fare from Metropark to South Station Boston. I attempted this as soon as they announced the anniversary fare. I was not successful online so I called. The website showed the train I wanted to Boston as 5% full. However, there were no $20 seats available for me. How disappointing and I wonder if this was a big scam.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Upon catching a night train from Austin Tx - Tucson, even though the roomette supposed to accommodate two, I found it unbearably cramped for just me, one person. The attendees were almost non-existent with the exception of them appearing when people were boarding and disembarking the train and I got help from another passenger to help me change the seating into a bed. The mattress was so thin it felt like sleeping on a hard floor and there was one small thin pillow and one thin blanket provided. When I found the dining carriage, it looked like an unattractive, out of date McDonald's. The menu was very limited and I ordered shrimp and rice. It took at least 20 mins to get it and when I did, it was, without doubt, the worst meal I have ever been given in a cafe or restaurant. It was a cheap and nasty microwave dinner that has overcooked and the shrimp was like rubber and hardly chewable.

About 9:30 pm upon going to bed, after much tossing and turning and trying to get comfortable, I finally dragged the upper bunk mattress which added a little padding to mine and the extra pillow and blanket and by this time it was close to midnight and as I was dropping off to sleep and tremendous banging and jolting of the train put the fear of God into me and sent my pulses racing thinking something serious was happening to the train. I couldn't get back to sleep for hours (and later found out that they were changing carriages, by adding or putting more on).

When I got up in the morning and went to the toilet, there was no toilet paper and the toilet itself was dirty. It was unsanitary and strands of toilet paper were on the floor. The new staff boarded somewhere around the morning and I couldn't help but notice how filthy the staff member's uniform was. It obviously had not been washed in days. A lack of communication over the speaker put come uncertainty as to know when to let the person picking me up in Tucson as I discovered through other passengers we were running a couple of hours late. I kept asking people in the dining carriage and elsewhere to let me know, but got approximate and vague answers.

The only way, that could be justified that I discovered after asking other passengers was that they were taking the train instead of flying because they had lots of luggage that would have cost them a ton if they went on a plane. I would advise anyone considering a night ride, to simply take the standard seats which were much more spacious than the roomette and take your own food, blanket and pillow. There is no wi-fi, so make sure you have your phone. The experience of this 28hr ride on Amtrak is an indelible memory which has caused me to from now on read many more reviews than I originally did. To round it off in one sentence, not just for the poor quality of products and services but for the cost of $319.00 to go through a night of horrors.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

Booked a $2800 train experience to Rocky Mountain National Park. Got to Denver, no tour due to closure and no one here to tell you what to do. The trip out pitiful, train dirty & service really bad. All COVID related they say. Workers slept, no services such as drinks which is really simple available, told everything locked down. We asked for things but never arrived. We had to buy what we wanted from snack area with food supposed to be included. Offices closed on weekends and Desk at Denver no help. Asked about, a place to put luggage. No charge at Chicago but Denver $10.00.

Asked Denver about a lounge the worker at Amtrak very rude stated nothing available. When you do this vacation by rail you had better know what you are doing. If Denver had been like Chicago things would have probably been overlooked. At the cost of what paid I could have flown, paid directly for 4 star hotel and bought all my food. The hotel did not provide breakfast till day 2. It was a package of Jimmy Dean, Scramble mix and water, that was my 30.00 per person breakfast. The entire trip has been a joke but that is what I get for traveling during Covid-19 but service all way round could have been better.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Having booked a trip to the Grand Canyon, I was very disappointed with the itinerary and service we received. When we checked in at Pittsburgh Amtrak at 12:00AM, to begin our trip, we were informed that the bus that was supposed to take us to Williams AZ. from Flagstaff AZ was no longer in service. We were told to get in touch with Amtrak Vacations, to get more information, when we got to Chicago. The next day as we were waiting SIX hours for our connecting train in Chicago, we called Amtrak to find out what we were supposed to do to get to Williams. After an hour on the phone we were told to call a taxi to take us to Williams from Flagstaff, a thirty mile trip. This should have been done by Amtrak because they charged us for the bus, knowing that it was no longer in service. So we did what we had to do and took a taxi round trip to Williams, at an additional cost of 160.00 dollars.

On the return trip we had to leave Williams at Three O'clock in the morning to catch our train back to Chicago. I can't tell you how stressed my wife was over the whole ordeal of making our connections. The food on the train was worse than what you get on an airplane. The same pre-made entrees for lunch and dinner. Had I known the times I had to catch the trains, I would not have planned this trip. After getting my itinerary once the trip was paid for, I tried to cancel the trip but you can't get a refund. They will only give you credit for another trip. Overall this was supposed to be a relaxing stress free vacation. It was anything but that.

Amtrak Company Information