2.07/5
Based on 77 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

751 Amtrak Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I bought a one way ticket from Los Angeles to Stockton and usually the trips I take with Amtrak go very smoothly. However this time the bus I took decided to leave 20 minutes after the scheduled time and because of this I missed the connecting train. I now have to wait three hours for the next train to come and will now miss the reason that I took the trip to begin with. I will also more than likely not get a refund which is my main issue. This is on Amtrak and the least they could do is provide some type of reimbursement for this inconvenience.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I would move to Europe for better rail experience. The vast majority of the customer service I have received (at terminals and phone) has been rude and unprofessional. Trains are significantly delayed on the east coast. Food and beverages on board is too expensive. Concerning the national 800 number, I find it senseless to keep the lines available if the person who handles certain transactions or issues has left for the day.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My experience with Amtrak vacation package in the train was the trip from hell. If you are planning to take a trip with this vacation package on Amtrak do not do it. Poor customer service they do not reply back to you. They taking your money and that's it. We went on the trip my husband and I. We got there. We paid our money. Hotel suck. Ugly homeless people laying around begging your cursing. You're being disrespectful. Attractions do not know about the power passes that you purchase. Did not enjoy this trip at all. Will never do it again so I advise you to do the same. Trip from hell.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Train 8957: when I booked this via official Amtrak website I thought I was booking a train from Vancouver to Seattle. But when we arrived at Pacific central station we were told it’s a bus ride! I looked at my receipt. Yes it said train 8957 yet if you really open the pdf file at the bottom of the email it says bus 8957. People at the train station told me it confused many other people as well. The bus is old and there is not enough AC and there is no WiFi. For international travelers how inconvenient is that. Terrible terrible experience.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Since my destination is not along Amtrak routes, I opted for completing my trip with a bus. Compared to last minute air travel, I only paid ~$150 for a one way trip using Amtrak and the bus when an airline ticket would have been over $300. Before you say that air transport is faster, my route is unfortunately along less popular airports so even flying requires over 10 hours in the airport system for a trip that Google says I could drive in 14. Combining Amtrak with a bus led to a transit time of around 21 hours. The Amtrak station I boarded at was in terrible shape, but that seemed to be an anomaly from the other stations I saw. Even though I had a coach seat, I actually think I had more legroom than I would have had in my car. Yes I was sitting next to someone who desperately wanted to smoke at any stop he could and so he reeked of nicotine, but that isn't a fault of Amtrak's service.

A ** couple was very belligerent when the attendant requested that they move to the front of the train because the seats they were trying to take were reserved for a family. The ** couple claimed that they were treated in a racist manner, but the attendant didn't really raise her voice and every passenger was supposed to sit in an assigned seat. If you are someone with social anxiety, the train may not be your best option as the dining car fills strangers into any table having less than four people and the expectation in train culture is that people talk to each other. I really enjoyed the observation car as there were large tables for working or playing board games with your traveling companions.

As far as the dining car, the fare is rather pricey but it is good. The bathrooms are nicer than you'd find on an airline but they aren't very nice. The water you were supposed to fill your water bottles with came out extremely cloudy. The train is kept quite cold due to health issues and for minimizing body odors, so plan accordingly. Also the coach seats absolutely require a pillow for any sleep to occur. I was disappointed that my route did not have WiFi, but I was able to access the internet from my own cellular device. In all, the train is a decent mode of transportation if you like having room and don't mind talking to your fellow passengers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amtrak?

Original review: July 28, 2018

I am a frequent user of Amtrak services to and from Los Angeles to New Mexico. Making this trip three times a year and have done so for a number of years dozens and dozens of trips over the years and my recent experience was by far the worst one ever. On July 17 the Superchief leaving LA was delayed seven hours. No explanation was given for a departure 4:50 pm that became 12:20 am so a sunrise that usually takes place over Winslow in northern AZ now takes place an hour this side of Needles, I did see two places one in California one in Arizona where Amtrak was working on the tracks look like the one in the California high desert. There was a train derailment. Shipping containers been mostly removed. Some smashed up and still on site. Also all the train wheel carriages too tired to count the number but I would guess a dozen. Wish I would have snapped a picture.

In Arizona in a remote area (all northern AZ would be considered remote area I assume) saw another large work crew working on the tracks probably just maintenance. It seems my complaint is mostly about maintenance or lack thereof, on my return trip ABQ to LAX on July 24th my car had no AC for the entire trip. This was one of the hottest days of the year and the heat was such I had to spend much of the trip sitting in the observation car just to stay cool. There was one bright spot in this experience. A young Amtrak employee Claudia ** was very good, very helpful, got us all water, and did everything in her power to help improve on what was to be a rather negative experience. She is the reason you get two stars instead of just one. Still work on your maintenance. It seems to be very lacking at the moment.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I traveled on the "Crescent" from SC to Baltimore. There are no attendants at the Amtrak station to check baggage or help. I took carry on luggage after checking requirements online. One of my bags was grabbed and put in cargo - after I told them it was not checked. On the ride, some sort of "water" was overflowing from the bathrooms and they were closed. My shoes were soaked. The train was dirty and smelled ungodly. When I reached my destination, I stopped by to get my bag - I was told to go to baggage in Penn station. I told them my bag was not checked and I needed to get it. I was told to "GET OFF THIS TRAIN and go to baggage" where, you guessed it - my bag was not.

At the baggage station I was pretty much accused of being a liar, until one man finally listened to me, and filed a claim. My bag was found in NYC and I was called and told to pick up my bag in Baltimore, the following day - two hours from where I was staying with family. I called customer service and was reimbursed with a travel voucher for 100 dollars - not even the price of my shoes. The ride home was totally different - much better. I will not recommend Amtrak to anyone until I know they have made some serious changes.

Original review: July 12, 2018

It seems as though every time I take the train, I cannot find an open seat in the reserved seats for passengers with disabilities. Although there are many open "regular" seats available, people seem to think that it's alright to take these seats. Many times I've gone through several cars trying to find a place to sit. In the end, I end up having to ask someone to move. It makes me uncomfortable to have to do this, and point out to that person/people that they've "done something wrong" (I mean, I don't say it that way). The posted signs clearly say that the seats are reserved. I shouldn't have to be put into this kind of situation. Amtrak should figure out a way to resolve this problem. It's just another position I, as a disabled person has to go through on a daily basis.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I was locked in the bathroom for 15 minutes in a urine smelling bathroom because the lock broke. I was on the Texas Eagle going up to Chicago. It took 3 attendants and a conductor to get me out. This happened on June 4, 2018. Coming back I had an altercation with passengers because I was sitting in their seat. I wasn't assigned a seat so I was just moving trying to find an empty seat somewhere. One passenger accused me of trying to steal her pillow and another got mad because I moved her pillow to sit down. Honest mistake on my part. I found an attendant and told him I needed a seat assignment after being on the train for only 3 HOURS and those passengers that confronted me weren't even around. The car was packed, where are you supposed to sit. One of the passengers was completely upset because I moved her neck pillow and wouldn't let it go even after I apologized. I insisted on moving to another less crowded car.

Original review: July 6, 2018

This week my family had to travel from NYC to Connecticut New Haven. Both ways the train was delayed. Going it was delayed by almost 3 hrs. and upon returning for an hr. With Amtrak rates it should improve its service and reliability. Otherwise drop the rates!

Original review: June 21, 2018

We booked a round trip family sleeper coach for us and our two grandchildren, that included tickets to Disneyland, as well as trip insurance. Amtrak cancelled the train with no options, too late to cancel other reservations. No help in fixing the mess or compensating for losses. And the rub is that they won’t even refund their worthless trip protection. Never again will we trust this poorly run rail system. What an embarrassment for America.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Traveling from Meridian, MS to Alexandria, VA on 20 Cresent on June 18. The train is not full at all. I was directed to a car that had more people on it. I took my seat beside another passage. When I got up to go to the dining room, I noticed that the car next to the overcrowded car I was assigned to, had less than 10 people. After eating my lunch, I came back to my assigned seat. Several stops later I noticed that the overcrowded car I was in now had six pairs of seat. I asked to move so I could take one of those six, I was told this “we have to keep those seats open”. I don’t know what that means. Along the way, a passenger, on my unnecessarily overcrowded car, moved and occupied one of those six seats. Nothing was said to him.

When we arrived in Atlanta, a lot of passengers left. Some other passengers boarded the train. A lot of empty seats. I overheard the train personnel tell a passenger that the empty seats are reserved. I fell like the passengers were made uncomfortable on purpose. Maybe so that the train personnel would have less areas to clean or something. I don’t feel like it was necessary to pack passengers like that when the was room on the train, on regular seats. The train was delayed so the discomforted was longer than necessary as well. I feel we were unnecessarily overcrowded in one areas of the train for a prolonged period of time due to the delayed train. This does not equal customer satisfaction at all.

Original review: June 18, 2018

This was our first trip as a family by train and it was not a very good experience. Our departure time from Raleigh was scheduled for 8:35, we left at 10am and eventually made it to DC at 6:30pm. The same delays took place on the way home. The main conductor was very rude but the other members of the staff were good enough to earn a couple stars. If you are taking a train to an event make sure you book early enough to offset the delays. Train 91 has been frustrating.

Original review: June 14, 2018

By even better, a little dissatisfied with the fact that they have 500 locations and Greyhound has tons more but, this is the only slight complaint. They're usually on the bad side of town just like Greyhound but they often times have a security guard to chase off sketchy people which is pretty nice. I'm glad to see that little extra paid for my ticket goes into this. Also, you'll be able to get access to better food. On Greyhound you'd get a candy bar and/or a burger. Here, you'd get healthy food. It makes the experience greater.

Also they're more reliable, the layovers are pretty short and they don't throw you off like Greyhound does. I saw someone cuss out the conductors and they said "I'm sorry you're having a bad day." Now on Greyhound, they would've thrown you off the bus. Amtrak was only late on one of the connections on my cross country ticket. Greyhound would've been always late. Also, the people who can afford this type of thing are more honest and aren't going to harass you for money or crap like that. For the love of your own sanity, spend 600$ on an Amtrak ticket instead of a 200$ Greyhound ticket.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Recently I was on Amtrak Cascades in a new car, and instead of the comfortable coach seats I have always enjoyed, the new seats had no padding/uncomfortable shape, too high up for my feet to touch the floor (I'm 5'2", not freakishly short). Then, in the restroom, I found the grab bar extended behind the toilet, pinning the toilet seat lid to the wall, so the lid could not be lowered during flushing on a moving train (which user is supposed to do).

I mentioned the awful seats to an Amtrak employee, who said he wished the seats were the worst thing about the new cars - then caught himself and refused to elaborate. So now I am deeply concerned there are hidden safety defects as well. Talgo America, Inc. (A subsidiary of a Spanish company), has manufactured cars for Amtrak for decades - how did they forget how to design and manufacture comfortable seats? This is a rip-off of American taxpayers, Washington State Taxpayers and Amtrak users.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Signaling failure June 2, 2018 at New Rochelle. Customers told after 90 minute stop to get off train. No help given, no further information, had to rent a car to get to Boston. No information or help on refunds or alternate transportation. Train 150 NYP to BOS.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Amtrak themselves are fine - train travel is a great way to go. But whatever you do, do NOT subscribe to their mailing list. You CANNOT unsubscribe. When you click the unsubscribe link it always come back and says “URL cannot be found. Please contact your administrator.”

Original review: May 22, 2018

Took train from LA to Portland. Train 14, Roman was our contact. He was fantastic, he would check on us see if we need anything. The coffee area was clean as was the bathroom. He was on the overhead updating you on everything. The club car staff great. Very organized. The tiny, tiny sleep cars do not do unless you are alone. Two people do not fit. Train is a rough ride and if you get motion sickness "which I do". DON'T GO!!!

Now the return trip we had Julio as our contact. He was lazy and nowhere to be found. DIRTY, DIRTY bathroom, he was so lazy he hung a bag on the side of trash instead of emptying. You had to look at someone's dirty panties every time you used the bathroom. Club car was ok, but not as good as the first trip. We returned on train 11. Food was good. Rode on a train now don't have to do it again. By the way do not book thru Amtrak Vacations. NO changes can be made. If you book thru Amtrak.com you can make changes and they charge less.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I had a concert to go to in Newark, NJ to see the original Misfits, $300 bucks for the concert ticket. I thought a train ride would be a good way to spend the day. I was wrong. I was on TRAIN 88 Northeast Regional (NFK - NWK) on 05/19/18. I got up at 4:30 AM to catch my train from Norfolk, VA to Newark Penn Station. The train arrived at Richmond Staple Mills station ~8:00 AM where the Richmond passengers boarded the train. Then there was a delay. We sat for ~1-2 hrs before the Amtrak staff walked through the train cars saying there is a derailment in northern VA and they were getting buses to take us to Washington DC Union Station and we could get on another train in DC.

After waiting another ~2 hours for buses, another announcement was made the only thing that will happen is the train will go back to Norfolk. No buses, no chance of continuing the trip with Amtrak. I spent ~4 hours at the Richmond station waiting for buses that never came and wasting the day. Amtrak only refunded the ticket and gave us a robot apology. Not even a coupon or an Amtrak credit voucher for your troubles. Amtrak says they apologize but that's it? Why not apologize and offer a credit voucher for a future ticket? - that's good business.

Original review: May 21, 2018

According to my round trip experience, between Richmond and DC on 05/19, customer service doesn’t exist at Amtrak. Train #82 left Richmond on time and was put on hold after arriving at Fredericksburg due to CSX derailment. Passengers were first informed that buses might be hired to continue transportation. One hour later, we were informed that if buses were not available, the same train would return to Richmond.

There was no further information from Amtrak for another two hours. In the meantime, I received email notice that my return train was cancelled. Being caught in limbo with no further confirmation and cancelled return service, I decided to hire a car to go back to Richmond. Amtrak was, first, slow at handling unexpected incident and, second, left the responsibility of continuing the transportation to its customers. Furthermore, Amtrak refuses to compensate the extra cost incurred to its customers due to trip interruption and cancellation made by Amtrak. Did Amtrak improve its service in the past years? I doubt it.

Original review: May 1, 2018

13 of us traveled together from Philly to Pittsburgh on Amtrak, Fri-Sun, April 27-29, 2018. It was a fantastic experience. We are a performing arts troupe, we had 25+ bags, including musical instruments and costumes. The "red caps" (porters) at both the Philly and Pittsburgh stations were terrific -- extremely friendly, highly professional, and very helpful and accommodating. The conductors on board also were welcoming and professional. The seats were extremely roomy and the legroom was incredible -- infinitely better than flying! Our only knocks were 1) that it was a LONG ride (too many stops and a slow-moving train) -- though speed may have been an infrastructure issue not under the control of Amtrak -- and 2) the food service on board really horrible, which we didn't expect, and it became a problem during a 7-8 hour ride. Overall, however, could not be happier.

Original review: April 25, 2018

The overall experience of riding the train is wonderful! It was my first time riding. However, the attendants that assist you in the process are not very friendly. AT ALL!!!! Checking in was great inside the station. I had zero problems on the phone with customer service when booking. I am referring to the folks that attend to you while riding the train. Foodservice? RUDE! So unfair to have to sit with others when dinner dining. The server explained that Amtrak is “community based”. That’s a great philosophy, but not fair to customers that want to dine alone with spouse. And the Ticket takers when boarding and assigning seats? ALSO RUDE! Bottom line? I highly recommend many of them should have more training on improving their people skills!!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

After my trips on the Carolinian and Northeast Regional this past weekend, I can promptly say that for the price, it is often worth it. The Conductors were nice, and informative. There was a very nice group of employees on the Cafe Car which gave me a set of Amtrak Playing Cards! The seats were comfortable, the bathrooms were relatively clean. The infrastructure of the Northeast Corridor often limits speeds and causes delays, but it is being upgraded continually. In fact, out of our whole SEPTA and Amtrak journey, we saw an average of 10 work trains or MoW Equipment. But, problems can occur, and there were signal complications forcing us to crawl along at restricted speed (10-15 MPH) for a good 10-20 miles. However, the crew did their best to catch up, with a prompt engine change in Washington Union Station. I feel that Amtrak is a good alternative to flying and driving, and that you often get your money's worth out of it.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My friends and I took the train from Seattle and on and off ending in L.A. The folks who work on the train were mostly wonderful. Especially Jose on our overnight leg and his help and service. We reserved two adjoining roomettes for our party of 4, and no one including the conductor was able to open the door between our rooms. They finally gave up and told us we should have requested that ahead of time!

Our last leg of the trip from San Luis Obispo to L.A. was the exception to liking train travel. Rude employees from the woman behind the counter checking in our bags, to an extremely dirty train. We were even asked to leave the observation car a good hour before arriving as they needed "to clean up". Really? I watched one employee roughly wake up a young man at our destination, shine his flashlight in his face, and then on the floor asking "Is THIS your trash? Clean it up." Honestly would not have been surprised if he had run up and down the cars hitting the back of our seats with a bat. Absolutely horrible.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I'm traveling by myself to California and I've been having extreme challenges with lining up my trains to my flight. I called customer service twice over the past 2 weeks, the first time being very helpful and I was aided swiftly, but in the process she deleted my reservation to catch a connecting bus. I may be the issue and understand the problem, but I call again 2 days later and the woman on the other end was EXTREMELY RUDE and would not let me finish a single sentence where I would explain. I was just asking out of curiosity how connecting services work. This is my first experience with Amtrak and am genuinely concerned on what I'm going to do. They mishandled my information and gave me a brief rundown ONLY EXPLAINING ONE RESERVATION TO HAVE CHANGED, and now I am forced to spend $150 to travel by taxi to my destination. I'm so upset and tearful, this just blows.

Original review: April 17, 2018

For many years we have been Amtrak customers on the Auto Train that travels from Virginia to Florida. We have always been pleased with the service and accommodations. This year, we traveled to Florida on the Auto Train with the same excellent service. We pay an extra fee to travel Business Class, which due to my disability, provides additional space and services. After arriving in Florida, we booked (and paid for) the same accommodations for the return trip.

A few weeks before our return trip, we received an email from Amtrak saying that our reservation for Business Class is canceled. When we called the customer service number, a somewhat rude representative, said that my disability didn't matter, the cancellation of Business Class was a "corporate decision" and their accommodation for my disability was "we can give you your money back." After filing an ADA complaint, we are seeking other ways to travel. If you are an Amtrak Auto Train customer, especially if you are a disabled customer, be aware that in choosing Amtrak, your "reservation" can be canceled, at any time, by a Washington Bureaucrat.

Original review: April 13, 2018

My wife and I were riding the Texas Eagle from Tucson Arizona to Chicago from Saturday April first to Monday April second. On Sunday as we were arriving San Antonio TX about 5 AM there was a fight right on our wagon # 3400 (drug related). These 2 guys were all over the cart fighting going from chairs to chairs all over people. One of them landed on my chair and broke my glasses. The wagon smelled like ** all day and nobody said anything about it. The people that smoked it would only do it on train stops but the smell was easy to spot since the guys were sitting near the stair on the second floor. We were delayed about 2-3 hours and next day we reached Chicago later than planned. This made us miss our train connection to Milwaukee that was leaving at 3:15 and they said the next train would come at 5:30.

This was a huge inconvenience for us because we only had one chance to be picked up at Milwaukee from the train station to our destination in Waukegan Illinois about 60 miles away. So we had to ask the person in charge to give us all our luggage in Chicago and from there take Metra train. This means we paid 16$ Metra train, 10$ taxi cab, and we lost the use of the Amtrak connection Chicago/Milwaukee 56$ because of your late arrival. We are not happy losing all that money and the fact that having a big smell in the train cart, none of the employees did anything about it until the fight broke off. I do not have a receipt confirmation number of the ticket at this particular moment but is at home if you really need it. The tickets were under my name and my wife's Irma **. My experience was not the best as I had in previous trips with Amtrak.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have used Amtrak for several different trips, never had an even acceptable experience, delays, gross bathrooms (when they are working), staff is not even close to nice. On one trip, reservations promised me a "quiet car", and said to tell them at the station that I had reservations on the quiet car. When I got to the train station and asked for my quiet car, the guy actually busted out laughing, and said, "no, we don't have those". After so many years of trying to travel Amtrak, I had to admit this is public transportation after all, talk about self loading cargo.

Original review: March 31, 2018

The bathrooms on the train were completely disgusting. They reeked of urine and it was all over the floor and every around the seat. The passengers placed Paper towels down over the urine in order to avoid stepping on our it. With the train movement it requires a lot of upkeep. It would be nice if they had separate bathrooms between men and women. Secondly, from Albany to Chicago the train is extremely long and it was full and all cars. The staff people were generally very nice but they took off three of the seats giving only three seats available for the dining cafeteria cars for the entire train. There should be another car with them with more social space.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have been trying for a month to book passage on Amtrak from Oklahoma to Ohio. I had questions that the website did not answer. I cannot call them as I am deaf. They have no chat line but do have an automated Virtual Travel Assistant. So I clicked there and entered my question. It gave me generic response that did not help. I asked a different question. Same generic answer. Different question...same generic answer. I found a place to email them. So I emailed, explaining my deafness and that I have questions.

I got a generic email stating that they received my email and would respond within 7 days. No response 10 days later so I sent another email. Got same generic email back but again no response 7 days later. Sent another email...yep you guessed it...generic promise to respond with no response. Sent another email asking if I should file a complaint somewhere just to get a response from them. I've heard nothing back. Looks like I won't be taking Amtrak nor recommending it to anyone.

Amtrak Company Information

www.amtrak.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business