2.05/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

741 Amtrak Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

We booked a round trip family sleeper coach for us and our two grandchildren, that included tickets to Disneyland, as well as trip insurance. Amtrak cancelled the train with no options, too late to cancel other reservations. No help in fixing the mess or compensating for losses. And the rub is that they won’t even refund their worthless trip protection. Never again will we trust this poorly run rail system. What an embarrassment for America.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Traveling from Meridian, MS to Alexandria, VA on 20 Cresent on June 18. The train is not full at all. I was directed to a car that had more people on it. I took my seat beside another passage. When I got up to go to the dining room, I noticed that the car next to the overcrowded car I was assigned to, had less than 10 people. After eating my lunch, I came back to my assigned seat. Several stops later I noticed that the overcrowded car I was in now had six pairs of seat. I asked to move so I could take one of those six, I was told this “we have to keep those seats open”. I don’t know what that means. Along the way, a passenger, on my unnecessarily overcrowded car, moved and occupied one of those six seats. Nothing was said to him.

When we arrived in Atlanta, a lot of passengers left. Some other passengers boarded the train. A lot of empty seats. I overheard the train personnel tell a passenger that the empty seats are reserved. I fell like the passengers were made uncomfortable on purpose. Maybe so that the train personnel would have less areas to clean or something. I don’t feel like it was necessary to pack passengers like that when the was room on the train, on regular seats. The train was delayed so the discomforted was longer than necessary as well. I feel we were unnecessarily overcrowded in one areas of the train for a prolonged period of time due to the delayed train. This does not equal customer satisfaction at all.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

This was our first trip as a family by train and it was not a very good experience. Our departure time from Raleigh was scheduled for 8:35, we left at 10am and eventually made it to DC at 6:30pm. The same delays took place on the way home. The main conductor was very rude but the other members of the staff were good enough to earn a couple stars. If you are taking a train to an event make sure you book early enough to offset the delays. Train 91 has been frustrating.

Original review: June 14, 2018

By even better, a little dissatisfied with the fact that they have 500 locations and Greyhound has tons more but, this is the only slight complaint. They're usually on the bad side of town just like Greyhound but they often times have a security guard to chase off sketchy people which is pretty nice. I'm glad to see that little extra paid for my ticket goes into this. Also, you'll be able to get access to better food. On Greyhound you'd get a candy bar and/or a burger. Here, you'd get healthy food. It makes the experience greater.

Also they're more reliable, the layovers are pretty short and they don't throw you off like Greyhound does. I saw someone cuss out the conductors and they said "I'm sorry you're having a bad day." Now on Greyhound, they would've thrown you off the bus. Amtrak was only late on one of the connections on my cross country ticket. Greyhound would've been always late. Also, the people who can afford this type of thing are more honest and aren't going to harass you for money or crap like that. For the love of your own sanity, spend 600$ on an Amtrak ticket instead of a 200$ Greyhound ticket.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Recently I was on Amtrak Cascades in a new car, and instead of the comfortable coach seats I have always enjoyed, the new seats had no padding/uncomfortable shape, too high up for my feet to touch the floor (I'm 5'2", not freakishly short). Then, in the restroom, I found the grab bar extended behind the toilet, pinning the toilet seat lid to the wall, so the lid could not be lowered during flushing on a moving train (which user is supposed to do).

I mentioned the awful seats to an Amtrak employee, who said he wished the seats were the worst thing about the new cars - then caught himself and refused to elaborate. So now I am deeply concerned there are hidden safety defects as well. Talgo America, Inc. (A subsidiary of a Spanish company), has manufactured cars for Amtrak for decades - how did they forget how to design and manufacture comfortable seats? This is a rip-off of American taxpayers, Washington State Taxpayers and Amtrak users.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amtrak?

Original review: June 3, 2018

Signaling failure June 2, 2018 at New Rochelle. Customers told after 90 minute stop to get off train. No help given, no further information, had to rent a car to get to Boston. No information or help on refunds or alternate transportation. Train 150 NYP to BOS.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Amtrak themselves are fine - train travel is a great way to go. But whatever you do, do NOT subscribe to their mailing list. You CANNOT unsubscribe. When you click the unsubscribe link it always come back and says “URL cannot be found. Please contact your administrator.”

Original review: May 22, 2018

Took train from LA to Portland. Train 14, Roman was our contact. He was fantastic, he would check on us see if we need anything. The coffee area was clean as was the bathroom. He was on the overhead updating you on everything. The club car staff great. Very organized. The tiny, tiny sleep cars do not do unless you are alone. Two people do not fit. Train is a rough ride and if you get motion sickness "which I do". DON'T GO!!!

Now the return trip we had Julio as our contact. He was lazy and nowhere to be found. DIRTY, DIRTY bathroom, he was so lazy he hung a bag on the side of trash instead of emptying. You had to look at someone's dirty panties every time you used the bathroom. Club car was ok, but not as good as the first trip. We returned on train 11. Food was good. Rode on a train now don't have to do it again. By the way do not book thru Amtrak Vacations. NO changes can be made. If you book thru Amtrak.com you can make changes and they charge less.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I had a concert to go to in Newark, NJ to see the original Misfits, $300 bucks for the concert ticket. I thought a train ride would be a good way to spend the day. I was wrong. I was on TRAIN 88 Northeast Regional (NFK - NWK) on 05/19/18. I got up at 4:30 AM to catch my train from Norfolk, VA to Newark Penn Station. The train arrived at Richmond Staple Mills station ~8:00 AM where the Richmond passengers boarded the train. Then there was a delay. We sat for ~1-2 hrs before the Amtrak staff walked through the train cars saying there is a derailment in northern VA and they were getting buses to take us to Washington DC Union Station and we could get on another train in DC.

After waiting another ~2 hours for buses, another announcement was made the only thing that will happen is the train will go back to Norfolk. No buses, no chance of continuing the trip with Amtrak. I spent ~4 hours at the Richmond station waiting for buses that never came and wasting the day. Amtrak only refunded the ticket and gave us a robot apology. Not even a coupon or an Amtrak credit voucher for your troubles. Amtrak says they apologize but that's it? Why not apologize and offer a credit voucher for a future ticket? - that's good business.

Original review: May 21, 2018

According to my round trip experience, between Richmond and DC on 05/19, customer service doesn’t exist at Amtrak. Train #82 left Richmond on time and was put on hold after arriving at Fredericksburg due to CSX derailment. Passengers were first informed that buses might be hired to continue transportation. One hour later, we were informed that if buses were not available, the same train would return to Richmond.

There was no further information from Amtrak for another two hours. In the meantime, I received email notice that my return train was cancelled. Being caught in limbo with no further confirmation and cancelled return service, I decided to hire a car to go back to Richmond. Amtrak was, first, slow at handling unexpected incident and, second, left the responsibility of continuing the transportation to its customers. Furthermore, Amtrak refuses to compensate the extra cost incurred to its customers due to trip interruption and cancellation made by Amtrak. Did Amtrak improve its service in the past years? I doubt it.

Original review: May 1, 2018

13 of us traveled together from Philly to Pittsburgh on Amtrak, Fri-Sun, April 27-29, 2018. It was a fantastic experience. We are a performing arts troupe, we had 25+ bags, including musical instruments and costumes. The "red caps" (porters) at both the Philly and Pittsburgh stations were terrific -- extremely friendly, highly professional, and very helpful and accommodating. The conductors on board also were welcoming and professional. The seats were extremely roomy and the legroom was incredible -- infinitely better than flying! Our only knocks were 1) that it was a LONG ride (too many stops and a slow-moving train) -- though speed may have been an infrastructure issue not under the control of Amtrak -- and 2) the food service on board really horrible, which we didn't expect, and it became a problem during a 7-8 hour ride. Overall, however, could not be happier.

Original review: April 25, 2018

The overall experience of riding the train is wonderful! It was my first time riding. However, the attendants that assist you in the process are not very friendly. AT ALL!!!! Checking in was great inside the station. I had zero problems on the phone with customer service when booking. I am referring to the folks that attend to you while riding the train. Foodservice? RUDE! So unfair to have to sit with others when dinner dining. The server explained that Amtrak is “community based”. That’s a great philosophy, but not fair to customers that want to dine alone with spouse. And the Ticket takers when boarding and assigning seats? ALSO RUDE! Bottom line? I highly recommend many of them should have more training on improving their people skills!!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

After my trips on the Carolinian and Northeast Regional this past weekend, I can promptly say that for the price, it is often worth it. The Conductors were nice, and informative. There was a very nice group of employees on the Cafe Car which gave me a set of Amtrak Playing Cards! The seats were comfortable, the bathrooms were relatively clean. The infrastructure of the Northeast Corridor often limits speeds and causes delays, but it is being upgraded continually. In fact, out of our whole SEPTA and Amtrak journey, we saw an average of 10 work trains or MoW Equipment. But, problems can occur, and there were signal complications forcing us to crawl along at restricted speed (10-15 MPH) for a good 10-20 miles. However, the crew did their best to catch up, with a prompt engine change in Washington Union Station. I feel that Amtrak is a good alternative to flying and driving, and that you often get your money's worth out of it.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My friends and I took the train from Seattle and on and off ending in L.A. The folks who work on the train were mostly wonderful. Especially Jose on our overnight leg and his help and service. We reserved two adjoining roomettes for our party of 4, and no one including the conductor was able to open the door between our rooms. They finally gave up and told us we should have requested that ahead of time!

Our last leg of the trip from San Luis Obispo to L.A. was the exception to liking train travel. Rude employees from the woman behind the counter checking in our bags, to an extremely dirty train. We were even asked to leave the observation car a good hour before arriving as they needed "to clean up". Really? I watched one employee roughly wake up a young man at our destination, shine his flashlight in his face, and then on the floor asking "Is THIS your trash? Clean it up." Honestly would not have been surprised if he had run up and down the cars hitting the back of our seats with a bat. Absolutely horrible.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I'm traveling by myself to California and I've been having extreme challenges with lining up my trains to my flight. I called customer service twice over the past 2 weeks, the first time being very helpful and I was aided swiftly, but in the process she deleted my reservation to catch a connecting bus. I may be the issue and understand the problem, but I call again 2 days later and the woman on the other end was EXTREMELY RUDE and would not let me finish a single sentence where I would explain. I was just asking out of curiosity how connecting services work. This is my first experience with Amtrak and am genuinely concerned on what I'm going to do. They mishandled my information and gave me a brief rundown ONLY EXPLAINING ONE RESERVATION TO HAVE CHANGED, and now I am forced to spend $150 to travel by taxi to my destination. I'm so upset and tearful, this just blows.

Original review: April 17, 2018

For many years we have been Amtrak customers on the Auto Train that travels from Virginia to Florida. We have always been pleased with the service and accommodations. This year, we traveled to Florida on the Auto Train with the same excellent service. We pay an extra fee to travel Business Class, which due to my disability, provides additional space and services. After arriving in Florida, we booked (and paid for) the same accommodations for the return trip.

A few weeks before our return trip, we received an email from Amtrak saying that our reservation for Business Class is canceled. When we called the customer service number, a somewhat rude representative, said that my disability didn't matter, the cancellation of Business Class was a "corporate decision" and their accommodation for my disability was "we can give you your money back." After filing an ADA complaint, we are seeking other ways to travel. If you are an Amtrak Auto Train customer, especially if you are a disabled customer, be aware that in choosing Amtrak, your "reservation" can be canceled, at any time, by a Washington Bureaucrat.

Original review: April 13, 2018

My wife and I were riding the Texas Eagle from Tucson Arizona to Chicago from Saturday April first to Monday April second. On Sunday as we were arriving San Antonio TX about 5 AM there was a fight right on our wagon # 3400 (drug related). These 2 guys were all over the cart fighting going from chairs to chairs all over people. One of them landed on my chair and broke my glasses. The wagon smelled like ** all day and nobody said anything about it. The people that smoked it would only do it on train stops but the smell was easy to spot since the guys were sitting near the stair on the second floor. We were delayed about 2-3 hours and next day we reached Chicago later than planned. This made us miss our train connection to Milwaukee that was leaving at 3:15 and they said the next train would come at 5:30.

This was a huge inconvenience for us because we only had one chance to be picked up at Milwaukee from the train station to our destination in Waukegan Illinois about 60 miles away. So we had to ask the person in charge to give us all our luggage in Chicago and from there take Metra train. This means we paid 16$ Metra train, 10$ taxi cab, and we lost the use of the Amtrak connection Chicago/Milwaukee 56$ because of your late arrival. We are not happy losing all that money and the fact that having a big smell in the train cart, none of the employees did anything about it until the fight broke off. I do not have a receipt confirmation number of the ticket at this particular moment but is at home if you really need it. The tickets were under my name and my wife's Irma **. My experience was not the best as I had in previous trips with Amtrak.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have used Amtrak for several different trips, never had an even acceptable experience, delays, gross bathrooms (when they are working), staff is not even close to nice. On one trip, reservations promised me a "quiet car", and said to tell them at the station that I had reservations on the quiet car. When I got to the train station and asked for my quiet car, the guy actually busted out laughing, and said, "no, we don't have those". After so many years of trying to travel Amtrak, I had to admit this is public transportation after all, talk about self loading cargo.

Original review: March 31, 2018

The bathrooms on the train were completely disgusting. They reeked of urine and it was all over the floor and every around the seat. The passengers placed Paper towels down over the urine in order to avoid stepping on our it. With the train movement it requires a lot of upkeep. It would be nice if they had separate bathrooms between men and women. Secondly, from Albany to Chicago the train is extremely long and it was full and all cars. The staff people were generally very nice but they took off three of the seats giving only three seats available for the dining cafeteria cars for the entire train. There should be another car with them with more social space.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have been trying for a month to book passage on Amtrak from Oklahoma to Ohio. I had questions that the website did not answer. I cannot call them as I am deaf. They have no chat line but do have an automated Virtual Travel Assistant. So I clicked there and entered my question. It gave me generic response that did not help. I asked a different question. Same generic answer. Different question...same generic answer. I found a place to email them. So I emailed, explaining my deafness and that I have questions.

I got a generic email stating that they received my email and would respond within 7 days. No response 10 days later so I sent another email. Got same generic email back but again no response 7 days later. Sent another email...yep you guessed it...generic promise to respond with no response. Sent another email asking if I should file a complaint somewhere just to get a response from them. I've heard nothing back. Looks like I won't be taking Amtrak nor recommending it to anyone.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Well it's my very first time on any train in my 49 years on this planet, and this experience is the worst. I am currently on the Sunset Limited traveling from New Orleans to Los Angeles and the staff doesn't seem to represent Amtrak the way they should. When I boarded the train my roomette was dirty, and I had a half bottle of wine just sitting here on the side of the seat. Shower was dirty, and nothing in my room was wiped. Staff has funky attitude about dining area when you don't want to sit next to a bunch of strangers. I paid too much money to be looked at crazy when you try to make us be social. And I get the whole seating thing, but only when it's crowded you should try to do that. Like I said first time on a train so staff be patient with us too, everyone does not sit next to strangers and eat comfortably. And plus the ridiculous tips you get all day come on...

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

97/98 Silver Meteor - Lost my wallet on 97 to Miami... was given 3 different stories on how to track it down. Now on 98 back to NY... I asked when I could get off to stretch my legs out and have a smoke. When I got to the stop nobody was there to open the door. Another crew member had an attitude because they had to open the door for someone... Still wouldn't let me off... About time I finally was able to get off this train I had to get back on. This car attendant had the nerve to tell my husband they let people off as a courtesy. Are you serious? $1200 and not to mention the tips we have dished out. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

If airlines were always 1 1/2 hours late there would be no airlines. Wife taking train from Alabama to South Carolina was 4 hours late on arrival and now the return trip is starting almost 2 hours behind. With the accident that occurred just 2 weeks ago you would think they would be trying to upgrade their face not lose it!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

We booked AMTRAK for December 31, 2017 to enjoy am en route New Year's Eve dining car experience. Our train arrived over 4 and a half hours late and we did not board until Mid-night. So much for celebrating New Year's Eve en route. The Dining Car was closed. So much for enjoying a Dining Car meal. We entered our Sleeper Compartment, tired and hungry. The toilet (in fact, ALL toilets on the two sleeper cars) was inoperable. At 78 and 80, we get up to pee a lot. So much for a relaxing sleep.

The next morning, The Dining Car was closed for breakfast, since the Dining Car was inoperable, We stopped at Florence, SC for repairs. The Dining Car re-opened, but the regular was not available. We arrived at our destination over 5 hours late and missed most of our planned New Year's Day festivities. The ONLY reason we took this train was to welcome the New Year 2018 at 79 miles with a relaxing meal. We did not even open the bottle of champagne we carried with us. We took the very next train home, a 12 hours trip. AMTRAK returned us an hour late on this leg, also. Very disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Feb 11, 2018, right after 4 fatal Amtrak accidents since Dec 2017. Was scared to even take the train. You'd think staff would be extra nice and professional but it was the opposite. Before boarding about 30 people, a staff was at entrance to train and handed out little pink slip without saying what it was. Everyone sat where they wanted. Later an announcement said go to assigned seats. No one knew what that meant. The pink slip had 2 sets of numbers. We moved as best we could.

When same guy came near us I said, "Which number? You didn't give instruction upon handing it the pink slip". He got so mad and scolded me saying. What? I asked for spvsr. got none. When conductor called setting to check tickets I told him what happened and got same scolding treatment. Wtf? Then as train running outside air comes in, smelly dirty air including skunks. They don't filter the air? At next stop same guy (Carl **) does same disorganization, gives pink paper to new customers without telling them what it is. So stupid!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Didn’t expect train service here is so primitive and outdated. Where is the spirit of power? And it’s going backwards. No compensation policy as compared to other developed countries. Would not recommend trains until the infrastructure is developed to an acceptable level for modern day commute.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I took the train Fri night Feb 2nd out of Champaign IL to Homewood IL. The train did not leave Champaign on time and there was a 20 min delay or so almost to Homewood. Then when I got to Homewood I walked into this cold, dark, poorly lit like concrete underground tunnel which had so many steps. I left Homewood Sunday morning Feb 4th and again the train was late and delayed. I was scheduled to arrive in Champaign at 10:30am but the train got into Champaign around 12:15 instead and I live 45 mins or so west of Champaign so I got home in the afternoon. The plus side was friendly helpful conductors and staff. Too many delays.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

On October 2016 I tried get a refund for a round trip fare to Florida but was told I could only receive a voucher. This meant that I was obligated to travel within a year or lose the entire round trip fare. In October 2017 I contacted them because I could not travel due to the hurricane damages in Florida. I was told that the voucher needed to be use before the expiration date or lose it. I lost almost $300.00. This is the last time that our family will travel on Amtrak and I will share this experience with others.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

It was the last train of night to San Diego. We made a stop in old town. I thought it was a good time to have smoke. I was the only one to get off. Before I could light smoke, the door on the train closed. I said oh no, then the train started moving and I said oh no. So I turned around and started walking not knowing where I was. Finally I found some people and asked them what direction San Diego was. By the time I got downtown the station was closed. In the morning I returned to station to find my luggage was not there. It was the last train for the night. I'm certain it was Amtrak's crew that took my luggage. It was everything I owned.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I am currently sitting on Train 449 from Buffalo which was 2 hours late arriving. I should've been in Chicago at 9:45 am. We are just on the other side of Toledo and have been stopped for at least 30 minutes. We are already 2 hours late and they just informed us it will be at least 3 more hours before arriving in Chicago. I am on an extensive trip to several cities over a 2 week period. I have limited time AND prepaid reservations for tours in several of those. This situation will guarantee me a loss on money and TIME. I've never been to Chicago so this is a severe disappointment.

I called customer service who then transferred me to a person who offered me a 100 dollar voucher. I told him I want a refund to my card, not a future trip. I have no plans to ever put myself through this again. I will fly or drive as I always have. The offer for a voucher only and no credit to my card angered me and I let him know. This is not a funny situation and I hardly think a voucher is worth all this trouble.

Amtrak Company Information