1.69/5

766 Amtrak Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My wife (61) and I (64) made reservations several months in advance and due to severe medical issues are forced to cancel. The reservations were for a trip commencing on June 10th, 2019. She has been diagnosed with tear(s) to her Achilles tendon as well as other fractures in her lower foot. We cancelled our trip immediately after the 3 surgeons agreed that it is progressive and by next year her pain index (though somewhat unclear), will be much worse. Taking this into consideration, especially that this trip included horseback riding and gem mining, we strongly agreed to cancel, since she would be taken away from her therapy here as well as most likely be very limited to activities on the vacation we planned. No doctor could possibly give a "note declaring what is still unclear" but we have "several" corroborating medical records from said surgeons which we have made available.

Despite all this, Amtrak has charged us a fee of 494 dollars for cancelling. This is completely unfair. Your customer relations is aware of this and does not care about extenuating circumstances. We have made numerous attempts at reaching someone that could rectify this whole issue. We have contacted the Inspector General's office as well as the NYS IG office and have written personal letters to two of the board members at Amtrak. Let's be clear, we do not like taking this action, but have little choice. We have also started a very aggressive online campaign to let as many people as we can possibly reach through social media, including FB, Twitter and our own county blog report pages. We ask that you contact us asap if interested in solving this @ **. We do not wish to campaign against Amtrak, however we will continue if needed...

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I booked a trip and got the insurance because there was a chance that the trip would need to be canceled. As it turned out the trip had to be canceled. Then the fun really began. I’m still in the process of trying to figure out what I did wrong other than booking on Amtrak... An amazing runaround, very condescending attitudes and every explanation why they didn’t have to give me a refund despite the insurance which is recommended on their site but they disavow any connection to when there’s trouble. Now I remember why I usually drive places and will resume doing so.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

New York City Penn station Amtrak is a joke. This has become a total embarrassment, the managers lets the CSR's that sit at the waiting rooms do whatever they want to do and make their own rules, Jackie and her relief for 10-02-2018 has the worst attitudes in the State of NYC. Amtrak how do you allow this type of low life called customer service to go on.

These two ladies is very disrespectful, their attitudes is pathetic, they argue with every customer that comes in the waiting room, I can hear Jackie and the other lady's mouth all over the waiting area, and THIS IS ACCEPTABLE, you wonder why you have 1 or 2 star ratings. Please give these 2 ladies some classes, on professionalism and customer service, and I hope neither of them is a lead or manager if so this will be even a more sad situation. I hope everyone reads this and take heed. This incident took place around 1:40 am. Come on Amtrak get it together it's about to be 2019.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Rent a car instead. None of their customer service reps have the same stories about anything. I literally missed a whole day of school because 5 different Amtrak agents gave me different stories about the status of my train. Then their customer relations people argued with me when I called them to file a case and get proof of some sort so my school work could be turned in without a penalty. Amtrak is trash and just lost a loyal customer.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I just spoke with customers service. I traveled on Amtrak since 2016. This the first time I've been mistreated by customers service and supervisor. I only asked if my mom can travel with two small dogs. The supervisor was nasty and rude and he hung up on me. Just nasty and rude. Never will I travel with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amtrak?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I found the new seats in the coaches stiff and uncomfortable. There is no middle hand rest anymore. The old seat were more spacious and warm. Now I feel I am riding the Greyhound bus. No good. Why do they change the style? It was a sales pitch? The customers are the one suffering. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My mother and I enjoy the travel and elegant meal, white tablecloths and a hot tasty meal. NOT THIS YEAR! Lake Shore Limited and Empire Builder. We were told the sleeper cars had their own dining car, fully refurbished. When we got our breakfast, we were handed a balsa wood box, filled with high sugar foods with nuts in plastic non ecofriendly containers. There was unripe fruit, hard as a rock. I could have broken a tooth on the mango. High sugar vanilla yogurt, with nice blueberries and high sugar granola with nuts. A Kashi Bar again with more nuts and a ICE COLD blueberry muffin. There was no butter provided or available. No coffee and Tropicana Orange juice.

For Lunch was the same as dinner. A balls wood box filled with many non ecofriendly plastic. I had the Vegan wrap. Just in the wrap the sodium was 1480 grams. Eggplant was like shoe leather. I removed it. Then quinoa salad, high salt, an awful nonbaked cheesecake that one bite made me throw it away. Mom had the antipasto, high sodium ham turkey prosciutto, olives, pickles and white beans, hard thin breadsticks and a no bake cheesecake all in non ecofriendly plastic. Dinner was the same. The entire NEW MENU WAS ATROCIOUS! Our trip was no longer special. I urge everyone to complain because this was a sample of how ALL TRAIN TRAVEL WILL BECOME.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Was given Amtrak gift card as present. Turns out, it is only redeemable by going to a physical train station in a major US city. Cannot be used online (despite there being a payment option saying gift card when you buy their tickets online), and it cannot be used in any medium or small city stations even though they sell Amtrak tickets there.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My husband and I have ridden the auto train for years (I don’t like to fly). We go to Florida 2 weeks in Jan and 2 week in march so that is 2 round trips. I know it sound a bit ridiculous to do it that way but it works for our schedules. Anyway I have always been able to get a decent rate if you book 11 months in. Well I started looking and it's absurd what they are charging. I am going to have to come home a day early in March just to get trip for 1000 if I traveled the next day which would be a sat. It was 1500 and that is just ONE WAY.

I know it's busy season but this is ridiculous. It has become cost prohibitive. And we are seriously thinking of changing. It certainly isn’t that great, bathrooms are gross, food has gone way downhill, they used to serve wine with dinner now you have to pay. They used to have snacks as welcome when you get on train. They took them away. Everything has been taken away but the ride and now you are paying huge fees. They say a new CEO has been hired last year. Well what a disaster. Extremely unhappy with Amtrak. When I called they said since economy is good that is why rates are so high. UGH is all I have to say.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We got on the train in Grand Junction Co... just an overnight trip to Glenwood Springs and back. We were abruptly told where our seats were... I guess I expected the attendants to be a little nicer to a senior citizen. The attendant was overheard telling another passenger that she didn't have time to help him right then as she had too many people getting on the train... seriously? Ok...

When we were ready to return to Grand Junction... the next day... we arrived at the train depot on time to be told that our train had been delayed for 5 hours. The people at the train were extremely accommodating and even apologized for the inconvenience. The train arrived shortly before 5. We were met by the conductor who was very considerate... even helping my traveling companion up the stairs onto the train. I would have thought that the first part of our trip would have been more like the last part which was very enjoyable! I think that when passengers are inconvenienced through no fault of their own. There should be somewhat of a credit given back to them. There was no apology from the staff on the train and I agree that it was through no fault of their own that the train was late in arriving. All in all I will book my next trip via the train... but will be a little more educated.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

For years I have ignored abuses by Amtrak workers, especially with respect to racism and racial bias. I cannot and will not ignore it any longer. This is a specific negative complaint against Amtrak services overall, particularly the use of first-class service by **. I recently booked first class service on the Acela Express. The reason I did this was because during my last two railway bookings (both round trip) I could not be seated. All the seats were full or passengers were using extra seats for their personal belongings. Despite the announcements asking passengers to free up the seats, this was not done for me. In fact, the ** attendants were irritated at me because I was forced to stand, but no one made any effort whatsoever to assist me. One attendant sat in a seat and simply watched me, while his bag occupied the other seat.

Perhaps he was off duty but yet, still, he failed to help. And the optics were ridiculous and telling. On this same trip an emotional support dog allowed on the train was treated better than I was. The attendants went out of their way to help others, mostly ** people, find seats on the overbooked train. It was so bad that an elderly ** male kindly offered me his seat. He was with his elderly wife. Both were very frail and in need of assistance just to stand. In the midst of paid professionals onboard he should not have felt compelled to do this. I declined his kindness and stood the whole way.

I booked a round trip first class rail seat thinking that surely I will receive a trouble free seat — these seats were assigned by letter and number. On the first leg of the trip the attendants ignored me while I asked for assistance in finding my seat. It seemed that immediately my very presence as a ** woman was a problem. My assigned seat in first class had been taken by a mature ** male passenger who had no intention of moving. The ** female attendant told me, in a very rude and hostile manner, that I could go online and find another seat.

She then walked away leaving me in the isle of a moving train in first class, while the ** passengers dined and looked at me. When I was finally seated I was not aware that I could not expect the same level of service as the ** passengers. The attendants deferred to their every need, my request for a simple can of soda, seemed to strain their patience. While the ** passengers were routinely checked on and asked if they needed assistance with their bags. I was ignored.

On my return trip I expected, was hopeful, for much better treatment. This was not the case. It was the same, if not worse. The crew initially treated me as if I had wandered into the wrong train car, it was inconceivable to them that I had paid for a first class seat. As the attendant checked my ticket he discovered that I had a round trip ticket and a seat in the car. He soon found out that my seat had been taken (once again) by a young ** male passenger who was engaged in boisterous conversation and barely looked up when asked about the seat and made no effort to move. The train is moving and I am standing with my bag. As the effort to resolve the situation ensues, we are rudely interrupted by another ** male passenger who cannot find his seat. The attendant not only abruptly walked away from me to assist this passenger first — they found his assigned seat, helped stow his bag, and asked him if he wanted something to drink.

Note however as I stood there waiting for assistance the other members of the crew and the passengers once again saw me as the problem. The attendant had no intention of making the passenger in my assigned seat move. He was afraid to say anything to him and the conductor was conveniently elsewhere. I told the attendant that I had no problem sitting wherever was most convenient for him. At this point he immediately identified two empty seats — which he could have offered earlier. I took the seat, stowed my own bag, and left the adjoining seat empty. The conductor, or whoever checks the tickets, immediately appeared and asked to see my e-ticket — all the while with the grudging attitude that somehow I didn’t belong there.

This experience does not get better. Minus several other unnecessary micro aggressive insults during this trip, I was literally “surveilled” for more than two hours in the first class lounge. The clerk/attendant in this case literally watched me periodically for two hours on the edge of his seat. I had never seen anything like this. Others came and went and were treated like royalty. I was treated as if I was a criminal female with no right to first class amenities. It was as if he feared I would steal coffee, soda, and salty snacks. To be sure, not even the traditional Amish couple raised any suspicion at all. But an articulate, educated, soft spoken, well dressed ** woman was an automatic problem? Check the footage.

Amtrak needs to train their crew working the rails and those working inside the terminals that it is not acceptable to treat ** women passengers this way. You may not be able to control ** passengers with racist impulses, but you can post PSAs about the rights of all passengers regardless of race, skin color and gender. You can also adhere to your own policies when it comes to ** passengers. If a ** passenger in coach, business class, or first class refused to give up an extra seat they had commandeered they would be immediately removed from the train. ** passengers are ignored, cajoled, i.e. allowed to be boisterous and jovial on the train. ** passengers who behave in the same manner are publicly castigated and removed from the train if not banned altogether.

To be clear ** rail workers are not exempt from openly discriminating against ** passengers and overtly deferring to ** passengers. Some, not all, go out of their way to disrespect ** passengers especially in the presence of **. They cannot be used to mitigate these routine kinds of abuses against ** passengers. And from what I have seen and heard they have their own internal struggles against racism at Amtrak.

I’ve never complained about Amtrak service over the years though I had every cause to do so. Like most ** passengers, and rank and file riders in general, you absorb the price gouging, the delays, the slights and mistreatment, and move on. However, this is my first and only notice. I ride Amtrak frequently for business and personal reasons. I will be regularly documenting, recording and reporting on any and all egregious racist behaviors. I do not pay $179.00 for a seat on the train to be treated less than my ** peers. Further I don’t buy an overly priced coach or business class seat to stand on a moving train. These are challenging times but Amtrak can do better.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I live in Denver and have taken trains to, and from, both coasts, connected to trains through Chicago, multiple times to Glenwood Springs Colorado from Denver, taken the Acela from Washington to Boston, taken the Coast Starlight as well as the Tango from Seattle to Vancouver. I am familiar enough with Amtrak to understand they don't own or maintain the rails (except for some in the northeast) and are at the mercy of other railroads. I also understand delays may be caused by vulnerable rights-of-way (power lines down, weather, floods, physical damage, and passenger issues). I also understand comparisons to European railroads are unreasonable and Amtrak will always come out looking poorly.

Having said that, there is no excuse for dirty toilets at the beginning of a route, unpleasant and surly employees, lack of communication about problems (except on Acela), poor maintenance of equipment. Many of the problems are the result of government funding (over which the railroad has no control). Some of them are also due to the size of this country and the dispersal of the population. One of the reasons Japan's high speed rail network works is large concentrated populations in a relatively small country.

Before airplane travel trains were THE way to travel; glamorous (Twentieth Century Limited), pleasant, reliable and frequent. Individual railroads took pride in their passenger service and competed with one another. Like that other means of passenger transport (the ocean liner), trains were doomed by the airlines.

Train travel should be a far more enjoyable means of transport than airlines (excepting the time factor); roomy seats, ability to walk around, lounge cars, seeing the country you pass through, relaxing pace, no two hour arrivals prior to departure time, no long cab rides to the airport and a meal in a normal dining environment (not with your knees up against your chin).

I should love train travel, but the reality, is Amtrak has ruined that for me because of poor service, equipment and staff. It will never be competitive with the airlines and the government should recognize that. They should either fund it at a level to help provide a pleasant experience or abandon it as a failed, noble experiment. Hopefully, improved funding will improve staff, service and equipment issues. I would hate for my grandchildren to grow up in a country without trains. The railroads in this country are woven into its historical fabric and could provide much improved service in the future. Judging by the number of operating historic railroads around the country there is certainly an interest in train travel.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

11.30 p.m. departure from Salt Lake City in sleeper carriage with toilet and shower. By the time we settled in it was about midnight and I went to use the toilet in our room. There were many "skid marks" in the toilet, and paper on the floor. It was very evident that the toilet had not been cleaned. The carriage attendance had not pointed out the location of light switches or the call button, and now it was past midnight. The following day I pointed out to the carriage attendant that the toilet was dirty upon our arrival and brought him to the bathroom to show him.

By then the toilet had been flushed about 5 or more times, but the "skid marks" still showed somewhat. Our room had yet to be made up for daytime sitting, so we stepped out while the room was made up, and with the expectation that the toilet would now be cleaned. It was not touched, skid marks remained, and the paper on the floor. I booked a sleeper with bathroom so I did not have to share a toilet with others, but as it turned out I had the remains of the previous passenger's bowel movement. Disgusting!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

The Lake Shore Limited from Pittsfield, MA to Utica, NY was 2 hours and 51 minutes late. I could have driven there and back in less time. Horrible experience for all involved. I'm requesting a refund but can't get a live person on the phone. We waited 2 hours at the Pittsfield station and then an hour on the train once boarded. CSX owns the tracks so all freight trains have priority on the tracks. Someone needs to fix this.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Amtrak (at the Alton Station traveling to Chicago) was over three hours late arriving which caused me to miss a major event and my flight out of Chicago. The train ticket that I purchased allowed me a three hour and twenty minute window to get to the airport in Chicago from the train station. Amtrak refused to accept any responsibility for the huge financial loss that this caused me.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I bought a one way ticket from Los Angeles to Stockton and usually the trips I take with Amtrak go very smoothly. However this time the bus I took decided to leave 20 minutes after the scheduled time and because of this I missed the connecting train. I now have to wait three hours for the next train to come and will now miss the reason that I took the trip to begin with. I will also more than likely not get a refund which is my main issue. This is on Amtrak and the least they could do is provide some type of reimbursement for this inconvenience.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I would move to Europe for better rail experience. The vast majority of the customer service I have received (at terminals and phone) has been rude and unprofessional. Trains are significantly delayed on the east coast. Food and beverages on board is too expensive. Concerning the national 800 number, I find it senseless to keep the lines available if the person who handles certain transactions or issues has left for the day.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My experience with Amtrak vacation package in the train was the trip from hell. If you are planning to take a trip with this vacation package on Amtrak do not do it. Poor customer service they do not reply back to you. They taking your money and that's it. We went on the trip my husband and I. We got there. We paid our money. Hotel suck. Ugly homeless people laying around begging your cursing. You're being disrespectful. Attractions do not know about the power passes that you purchase. Did not enjoy this trip at all. Will never do it again so I advise you to do the same. Trip from hell.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Train 8957: when I booked this via official Amtrak website I thought I was booking a train from Vancouver to Seattle. But when we arrived at Pacific central station we were told it’s a bus ride! I looked at my receipt. Yes it said train 8957 yet if you really open the pdf file at the bottom of the email it says bus 8957. People at the train station told me it confused many other people as well. The bus is old and there is not enough AC and there is no WiFi. For international travelers how inconvenient is that. Terrible terrible experience.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Since my destination is not along Amtrak routes, I opted for completing my trip with a bus. Compared to last minute air travel, I only paid ~$150 for a one way trip using Amtrak and the bus when an airline ticket would have been over $300. Before you say that air transport is faster, my route is unfortunately along less popular airports so even flying requires over 10 hours in the airport system for a trip that Google says I could drive in 14. Combining Amtrak with a bus led to a transit time of around 21 hours. The Amtrak station I boarded at was in terrible shape, but that seemed to be an anomaly from the other stations I saw. Even though I had a coach seat, I actually think I had more legroom than I would have had in my car. Yes I was sitting next to someone who desperately wanted to smoke at any stop he could and so he reeked of nicotine, but that isn't a fault of Amtrak's service.

A ** couple was very belligerent when the attendant requested that they move to the front of the train because the seats they were trying to take were reserved for a family. The ** couple claimed that they were treated in a racist manner, but the attendant didn't really raise her voice and every passenger was supposed to sit in an assigned seat. If you are someone with social anxiety, the train may not be your best option as the dining car fills strangers into any table having less than four people and the expectation in train culture is that people talk to each other. I really enjoyed the observation car as there were large tables for working or playing board games with your traveling companions.

As far as the dining car, the fare is rather pricey but it is good. The bathrooms are nicer than you'd find on an airline but they aren't very nice. The water you were supposed to fill your water bottles with came out extremely cloudy. The train is kept quite cold due to health issues and for minimizing body odors, so plan accordingly. Also the coach seats absolutely require a pillow for any sleep to occur. I was disappointed that my route did not have WiFi, but I was able to access the internet from my own cellular device. In all, the train is a decent mode of transportation if you like having room and don't mind talking to your fellow passengers.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I am a frequent user of Amtrak services to and from Los Angeles to New Mexico. Making this trip three times a year and have done so for a number of years dozens and dozens of trips over the years and my recent experience was by far the worst one ever. On July 17 the Superchief leaving LA was delayed seven hours. No explanation was given for a departure 4:50 pm that became 12:20 am so a sunrise that usually takes place over Winslow in northern AZ now takes place an hour this side of Needles, I did see two places one in California one in Arizona where Amtrak was working on the tracks look like the one in the California high desert. There was a train derailment. Shipping containers been mostly removed. Some smashed up and still on site. Also all the train wheel carriages too tired to count the number but I would guess a dozen. Wish I would have snapped a picture.

In Arizona in a remote area (all northern AZ would be considered remote area I assume) saw another large work crew working on the tracks probably just maintenance. It seems my complaint is mostly about maintenance or lack thereof, on my return trip ABQ to LAX on July 24th my car had no AC for the entire trip. This was one of the hottest days of the year and the heat was such I had to spend much of the trip sitting in the observation car just to stay cool. There was one bright spot in this experience. A young Amtrak employee Claudia ** was very good, very helpful, got us all water, and did everything in her power to help improve on what was to be a rather negative experience. She is the reason you get two stars instead of just one. Still work on your maintenance. It seems to be very lacking at the moment.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I traveled on the "Crescent" from SC to Baltimore. There are no attendants at the Amtrak station to check baggage or help. I took carry on luggage after checking requirements online. One of my bags was grabbed and put in cargo - after I told them it was not checked. On the ride, some sort of "water" was overflowing from the bathrooms and they were closed. My shoes were soaked. The train was dirty and smelled ungodly. When I reached my destination, I stopped by to get my bag - I was told to go to baggage in Penn station. I told them my bag was not checked and I needed to get it. I was told to "GET OFF THIS TRAIN and go to baggage" where, you guessed it - my bag was not.

At the baggage station I was pretty much accused of being a liar, until one man finally listened to me, and filed a claim. My bag was found in NYC and I was called and told to pick up my bag in Baltimore, the following day - two hours from where I was staying with family. I called customer service and was reimbursed with a travel voucher for 100 dollars - not even the price of my shoes. The ride home was totally different - much better. I will not recommend Amtrak to anyone until I know they have made some serious changes.

Original review: July 12, 2018

It seems as though every time I take the train, I cannot find an open seat in the reserved seats for passengers with disabilities. Although there are many open "regular" seats available, people seem to think that it's alright to take these seats. Many times I've gone through several cars trying to find a place to sit. In the end, I end up having to ask someone to move. It makes me uncomfortable to have to do this, and point out to that person/people that they've "done something wrong" (I mean, I don't say it that way). The posted signs clearly say that the seats are reserved. I shouldn't have to be put into this kind of situation. Amtrak should figure out a way to resolve this problem. It's just another position I, as a disabled person has to go through on a daily basis.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I was locked in the bathroom for 15 minutes in a urine smelling bathroom because the lock broke. I was on the Texas Eagle going up to Chicago. It took 3 attendants and a conductor to get me out. This happened on June 4, 2018. Coming back I had an altercation with passengers because I was sitting in their seat. I wasn't assigned a seat so I was just moving trying to find an empty seat somewhere. One passenger accused me of trying to steal her pillow and another got mad because I moved her pillow to sit down. Honest mistake on my part. I found an attendant and told him I needed a seat assignment after being on the train for only 3 HOURS and those passengers that confronted me weren't even around. The car was packed, where are you supposed to sit. One of the passengers was completely upset because I moved her neck pillow and wouldn't let it go even after I apologized. I insisted on moving to another less crowded car.

Original review: July 6, 2018

This week my family had to travel from NYC to Connecticut New Haven. Both ways the train was delayed. Going it was delayed by almost 3 hrs. and upon returning for an hr. With Amtrak rates it should improve its service and reliability. Otherwise drop the rates!

Original review: June 21, 2018

We booked a round trip family sleeper coach for us and our two grandchildren, that included tickets to Disneyland, as well as trip insurance. Amtrak cancelled the train with no options, too late to cancel other reservations. No help in fixing the mess or compensating for losses. And the rub is that they won’t even refund their worthless trip protection. Never again will we trust this poorly run rail system. What an embarrassment for America.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Traveling from Meridian, MS to Alexandria, VA on 20 Cresent on June 18. The train is not full at all. I was directed to a car that had more people on it. I took my seat beside another passage. When I got up to go to the dining room, I noticed that the car next to the overcrowded car I was assigned to, had less than 10 people. After eating my lunch, I came back to my assigned seat. Several stops later I noticed that the overcrowded car I was in now had six pairs of seat. I asked to move so I could take one of those six, I was told this “we have to keep those seats open”. I don’t know what that means. Along the way, a passenger, on my unnecessarily overcrowded car, moved and occupied one of those six seats. Nothing was said to him.

When we arrived in Atlanta, a lot of passengers left. Some other passengers boarded the train. A lot of empty seats. I overheard the train personnel tell a passenger that the empty seats are reserved. I fell like the passengers were made uncomfortable on purpose. Maybe so that the train personnel would have less areas to clean or something. I don’t feel like it was necessary to pack passengers like that when the was room on the train, on regular seats. The train was delayed so the discomforted was longer than necessary as well. I feel we were unnecessarily overcrowded in one areas of the train for a prolonged period of time due to the delayed train. This does not equal customer satisfaction at all.

Original review: June 18, 2018

This was our first trip as a family by train and it was not a very good experience. Our departure time from Raleigh was scheduled for 8:35, we left at 10am and eventually made it to DC at 6:30pm. The same delays took place on the way home. The main conductor was very rude but the other members of the staff were good enough to earn a couple stars. If you are taking a train to an event make sure you book early enough to offset the delays. Train 91 has been frustrating.

Original review: June 14, 2018

By even better, a little dissatisfied with the fact that they have 500 locations and Greyhound has tons more but, this is the only slight complaint. They're usually on the bad side of town just like Greyhound but they often times have a security guard to chase off sketchy people which is pretty nice. I'm glad to see that little extra paid for my ticket goes into this. Also, you'll be able to get access to better food. On Greyhound you'd get a candy bar and/or a burger. Here, you'd get healthy food. It makes the experience greater.

Also they're more reliable, the layovers are pretty short and they don't throw you off like Greyhound does. I saw someone cuss out the conductors and they said "I'm sorry you're having a bad day." Now on Greyhound, they would've thrown you off the bus. Amtrak was only late on one of the connections on my cross country ticket. Greyhound would've been always late. Also, the people who can afford this type of thing are more honest and aren't going to harass you for money or crap like that. For the love of your own sanity, spend 600$ on an Amtrak ticket instead of a 200$ Greyhound ticket.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Recently I was on Amtrak Cascades in a new car, and instead of the comfortable coach seats I have always enjoyed, the new seats had no padding/uncomfortable shape, too high up for my feet to touch the floor (I'm 5'2", not freakishly short). Then, in the restroom, I found the grab bar extended behind the toilet, pinning the toilet seat lid to the wall, so the lid could not be lowered during flushing on a moving train (which user is supposed to do).

I mentioned the awful seats to an Amtrak employee, who said he wished the seats were the worst thing about the new cars - then caught himself and refused to elaborate. So now I am deeply concerned there are hidden safety defects as well. Talgo America, Inc. (A subsidiary of a Spanish company), has manufactured cars for Amtrak for decades - how did they forget how to design and manufacture comfortable seats? This is a rip-off of American taxpayers, Washington State Taxpayers and Amtrak users.

Amtrak Company Information