1.54/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

788 Amtrak Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I made a reservation about 2 weeks in advance and sent an inquiry in asking if the two family members with me would be able to share my sleeper car (there are two beds to a car so it would make sense). No one EVER got back to me. I'm on the train as we speak and was informed that they can't share the room with me. I called Amtrak directly to have my ticket downgraded to coach and they said because I would be changing it the day of I would be penalized/charged. I informed the person overseeing the sleeper cars that if I can't stay with my family then I don't want the car. She had zero sympathy. It took the gent running the dining car to have any sympathy at all for my situation. As soon as I get home my Amtrak card is going in a shredder, and I will be canceling my account.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I could make this a rant but it could go on for paragraphs and paragraphs... Bottom line is the Amtrak service is really poor. There are nearly always cancellations and/or delays but on top of it, customer service and the employees are never polite or sympathetic. They always operate on a customer is always wrong mentality and will just try to give you a hard time. They will blame everything on you and will always just try to direct you to someone else when you have any issues (no one wants to help you with your problem). The problem is, Amtrak is basically a monopoly without any competition so there's no incentive or reason for them to ever try to improve their services. In any case, if you can, take plane or bus (Amtrak isn't even cheap!). It's much more worth your while. That's not to say every Amtrak ride is a hassle, but more often than not it is.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My first experience with Amtrak was taking the Empire Builder from Chicago Union Station to Pasco, Washington, a 42-hour trip. In Wisconsin, the train got delayed for three hours due to an issue with the engine. After the issue was resolved, there weren't any problems until we hit Minot, ND. There, we were delayed for over an hour due to another issue with the engine. The issue was resolved again, but I know at some point we got delayed one more time, for a total delay of 5 hours. We were told on the second night of the trip that because we were so far behind, we would be put on buses to our final destination from Spokane, WA, which is 2 hours from Pasco.

On the return trip, our train was 45 minutes late getting to Pasco. When we got to our seats, we found that we were missing a curtain on the window, both of the reading lights were broken, and one of the tray tables was broken. Because the train was full and it was nighttime, we didn't have much of an opportunity to find new seats so we could be together. We bought a cocktail and ended up losing the nearly-full drink due to the broken tray table; we informed a crew member and they didn't reimburse us or give us a voucher for a drink we lost due to their negligence.

The crew member moved our seats for us, but unfortunately the seats to which we were relocated had the heat cranked up on full blast, to the point where I couldn't have my feet down (where the vents were) and I actually ended up burning my ankle because I accidentally touched the vent. Also, there was ice and snow collecting around the train doors and the floors were wet and slippery, with no warning signs or much effort to prevent a slip and fall. Finally, because the train was overbooked, the "lounge" bathroom was full of passenger's luggage. Not only is that unsanitary, but it's very unsafe.

I filed a complaint with customer service and they offered either rewards points or $150 off a train ticket bought within the year. After these negative experiences, I don't want to ever take an Amtrak train again, even for a short trip, and I certainly will not be making any positive recommendations to friends or family about Amtrak.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I WILL NEVER TAKE AMTRAK AGAIN!!! My 1st train was late 8 1/2 HOURS!!! Customer Relations was absolutely INCOMPETENT & RUDE! I had to schedule a 2nd train stranding me in El Paso for 5 DAYS! Now my 2nd train is running 4 HOURS late! I almost lost my job with nothing but “sorry” for my troubles! ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!!! HOW THEY STAY IN BUSINESS IS BEYOND ME! Their “customer service” is JOKE! DON’T GIVE AMTRAK YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I booked a trip online from Virginia to New York City. I canceled online 10 days before the train was to depart. Although the website says you can get a refund less a charge, the website sent me in circles, with no way to get a partial refund. I called them, and they said because these tickets were purchased as "super saver" tickets, they are non-refundable. They said this was in the fine print of the terms. What a crock. So you have to pay more in order to get even a partial refund. I will never purchase from Amtrak again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amtrak?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Pretty great. I get in, I sit down in a big comfy seat, and I stretch my legs all the way out in a really roomy area. I watch the landscape speed past and I do work on my laptop. If I'm hungry I grab food from the cafe car. It's amazing. There are delays, and the conductors are often overworked and rushing all around. Don't get in their way, and don't complain to them - they don't control whether the train breaks down or not. I've always been polite and done what they asked immediately, and I've never had a problem with them.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Rode 36 hours. Bathrooms apparently never cleaned. Feces and urine in one for last 10 hours of trip. Most out of toilet paper after 12 hours. Unsanitary to the extreme. When I complained to Amtrak, was told my fault for not complaining.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My mom took Amtrak today. She was supposed to get on a train at 8:30 this morning that turned out to be a bus. She has a service dog with her. The dog was kennel trained as a puppy and now sleeps in the kennel next to my mom's bed. The door on the kennel is never closed but anyway my mom had the kennel with her with her personal belongings in it. She was screamed at by the bus driver whom demanded the paperwork on the dog then told there was no way her service animal was a service animal because service animals don't have kennels then demanded cash from her. When she told him she don't carry cash only cards he again told her how senseless she was because nobody travels from Alaska without carrying cash.

I then tried to call someone at Amtrak. Anybody whom I could speak with was not there. They are only open Monday through Friday and so they send you into a customer portal basically so that someone can I guess listen to you be upset but not help you. They did put my mom on the 4:40 train but then proceeded to charge her extra for the kennel after she had already told them before she ever purchased this ticket that she had a service animal. She asked about her baggage. She asked about the kennel. They said it was included in the price of the ticket. She was allowed two bags. She had one bag and one kennel so she was put on the 4:40 train tonight.

I'm now sitting here waiting until 12:40 a.m. for my mom to arrive. She missed her granddaughter's birthday party. I have to work at 8 a.m. in the morning and all because Amtrak claims to accept service animals but then has all sorts of guidelines and rules for service animals. I can understand if the dog is being unruly or a threat to other people but if you simply get on a train or a bus that they've contracted then they have no right to dispute that you paid for your ticket just like everybody else in their policies and procedures. They state that their employees are allowed to ask what the service animal is for. That is what their policy states. My mom has been told she may not go to the dining car on the train because her dog her service animal is not allowed in their dining car so on top of being 9 hours past when she was supposed to be here.

She also can't eat or drink anything because her service animal whom is there to protect her from when she's having a seizure and things like that isn't allowed to go with her all places. I'm really upset that this happened. We will never ever use Amtrak again. I cannot believe how horribly and discriminated against people who have disabilities are with this company. I cannot for the life of me comprehend how you can treat somebody the way that my mom was treated for no other reason than she had a kennel with her for her service animal. It is nobody's business why she has a kennel with her. If her dog is sitting at her feet and she has told you that she has a service animal for a specific reason by law you have to leave her alone unless that animal becomes a threat to other passengers.

This bus driver straight up told my mother that if the dog even looked at anybody funny he would stop in the middle of the highway and kick her off of that bus. I'm not sure what exactly Amtrak has to prove against people with disabilities. I'm not sure about anything at this point. All I know is that the way that Amtrak has discriminated against a person who has a service animal for a specific reason because they have a disability that they cannot control is absolutely mind-blowing. It is upsetting. It is discrimination. It is hateful and rude and the way that happened today was cruel. Not only was my mother subject to this person's attack this blatant attack by not only one but there was also a woman there who works for Amtrak screaming at her as well and they did this in front of everybody at that station in Seattle.

This is not the first time that I have heard of Amtrak being like this but that was several years ago and I would have thought that with the advances that they have made where service animals are concerned. Amtrak would not still be living in the Stone Age. I was extremely wrong to have thought that we will be seeking a lawyer for legal advice but as far as I'm concerned any company who can condone the behavior of somebody so abusive towards people who have disabilities shouldn't be a company that anybody pays for.

I also know that anybody who is purposely intimidating somebody who has a service animal or is intimidating the service animal itself I know that that is considered a gross misdemeanor in all 50 states according to the freaking service animal laws. So I certainly hope that Amtrak does everything in their power to change the way that their employees treat certain people who have disabilities and require the assistance of a animal. I certainly hope these people can make this right. I very sincerely hope from the bottom of my heart that this was a fluke.

I really truly and honestly hope that man has to find other employment where maybe he's not working with people of a sensitive mindset that have disabilities or people whom he can harm or maybe how about he just doesn't work with people at all because obviously it sounds like he isn't people-friendly. And in my opinion if this is a job that you choose to do and your customer service is that horrible this isn't a job you should have. How dare you treat an older lady like that over a service animal. I cannot even believe the way this happened. I am rambling at this point but I am so mad I have a video sent to me from my mom who was in tears of this man talking to her the way that he did and that was just the tail end of the video when she thought I should record this. So he was even being nicer than the way that she described but even in the video I was flabbergasted at the way that she was treated.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have taken Amtrak for many years and never thought anything great of it. Nothing was particularly bad either, but there was nothing good. I just kept taking it because it was the fastest way to get where I wanted. A month ago, I encountered an incredibly rude employee who tried to kick me out of my seat because he was "trying to clear some space up for other people", when there was no one else in the area and there were many seats open. His body language was inappropriate and his tone was patronizing. He told me that he was in the middle of a divorce and had hypertension and other unrelated stuff, seeming to blame me for making his situation worse. This was entirely uncalled for and unprofessional.

I complained to Amtrak on their website and NEVER heard back from them. I also wrote on Facebook to them, and, not only did not really look into my complaint, they stopped responding to me completely. I never had anything against the company but after finding out how they deal with extremely unsatisfied customers, I think that they are one of the absolute worst companies I have ever purchased from and don't give a second thought about what their customers think.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My train was cancelled by Amtrak due to weather. Understand totally these things happen however the agent gave me a voucher rather than the refund to my credit card as promised. When I called I was told it would take up to a month for me to receive my refund. Really? How can I get a flight home when you won’t return my money on a train YOU cancelled? The rod on the phone were not concerned and rude. They have lost a long time rider.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

This evening, Dec. 8th 2018 I needed to get to Los Angeles from San Juan Capistrano with little advanced notice. As a result I only had my billfold with me (no Visa) so once on board the 5:34 NB train I was approached by the Amtrak agent. I explained my situation and pulled out $40. I have ridden this train on numerous occasions in the past and never paid more than $25 for the fare. The agent was clearly ticked off that I was asking to pay with cash. He asked me twice if I had a cell phone (which was charging on the wall in clear view) and a credit card. After I answered the first time he repeated his question in the loud sort of way that attempts to belittle the recipient for anyone on that half of the train car to hear.

After I explained my situation for the second or third time he indicated that he was going to have to travel "all the way to his seat" in order to pick up the required documentation to receive payment in cash. I told him I was headed all the way to LA so he could take his time. When he returned I asked him how much the fare was and he told me it was $35. I handed him two $20s and he said he had no change. After a significant silence he informed me that I needed to go to the bar car and get him change and that he would return in 5 minutes for payment. Initially I was going to suggest he keep the change until his demeanor got under my skin. I was quite sure that the fare was not even close to $35.

At this point I called Amtrak 800-usa-rail number and asked the agent (Lauren was her name) how much the fare was from San Juan Capistrano to Los Angeles (Union Station). She replied without hesitation the fare was $20.45! Then I asked Lauren if there was a fee to make a cash payment while on board the train. She said no again without a moment's hesitation. I asked if she was sure and she said that this was an unreserved coach seat and therefore there was no ADDITIONAL FEE TO PAY WITH CASH. I thanked her and waited for the agent's return. While I waited I looked up the fare on Amtrak's site and it was in fact $20.45.

When he returned and asked for the $35.00 I explained that I had just gotten off the phone with Amtrak and was told flat out there was not suppose to be any fee to pay in cash. He said Amtrak was wrong that he was right period. I said a fee of $3.00 or even $5.00 was rather high for a cash pay convenience fee but acceptable but to ask a customer to pay a $14.55 fee on a $20.45 fare was "a bit excessive" but what I felt and still feel is that fee is CRIMINAL! I asked for a receipt and called Amtrak once again. When I finally got to speak with an agent I was surprised to find the same agent Lauren on the line. I asked for the fare for my trip and once again Lauren replied $20.45. I then asked if there was a fee to pay cash onboard, once again Lauren replied "No".

I then explained to Lauren that I was at that moment in the train on the route we discussed and asked if she could explain why I was just charged a fee of $14.55 for the privilege of paying Amtrak in US currency for a fare of $20.45! I asked if she could find out if this was company policy and if she herself thought that the fee was quite excessive. Now the confident Lauren from Amtrak withdrew into herself fumbling over her words in a barely audible tone. Finally she asked if she could put me on hold. I agreed. When she returned to the call about 3 minutes later she said in a tiny voice I almost couldn't make out "that train uh does seem to have a fee for paying cash in person onboard and it's the $14.50 you mentioned."

I was floored! I repeated my question to her "so you are telling me that Amtrak has a policy currently in place and operational, that requires customers to pay a fee of $14.55 on a $20.45 fare for the privilege of paying for their service in cash??? Lauren was very uncomfortable at this point I could almost see her lips trembling. I felt bad for her. I mean she is just a phone rep that clearly could see that this was very wrong but had no power to change anything. I then asked to speak to a manager or someone in charge. Lauren said I should speak with customer service or relations or something. I said that would be great and thanked her. She put me through and their offices were closed. That is my story and it has me angry! I have never done anything like this before and I would appreciate any advice that could be offered. This is not about money. It's about what's right and this is so clearly wrong.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I hate flying but love traveling so for years I have traveled to the Northeast via Amtrak to stay with my family in New Jersey then back to Florida. During the years I have had unpleasant experiences with delays and dirty toilets but this last trip took the cake. My husband and I were supposed to leave out of Miami on Friday, November 16 at 8:05 am. When we got to the train station, we were told that due to no fault of Amtrak, a freight train had derailed and it was not known when or if we would be able to leave that day at all.

As it turns out, we were sent home to return the following day. The train pulled out of the station at 8:05 a.m. on Saturday as scheduled. During the trip, there were some unexplained engine changes and the ensuing delays but the toilets were reasonably clean so no major complaints until 8:00 p.m. when the train hit a car. We were delayed until 11:00 p.m. while the police, rescue and media descended on the area. We found out through some of the passengers who heard it (I guess) from some of the crew but there was no announcement whatsoever to explain the delay. We were able to see the commotion because we were having dinner in the dining car at that time and almost fell when they pulled the emergency brake.

Not one member of the crew took the time to explain the situation. The bathrooms ran out of water and only four out of eight were working. At noon the kitchen made a stew and asked the passengers to make a line from their cars to the kitchen to get a box with a little bowl with stew, plus some cookies and pretzels. We got to Newark Penn Station at 6:30 p.m., more than 24 hours after our scheduled arrival (Saturday at 10:40 am).

On our trip back, the train left Newark on time but the toilets from the very start of our journey were dirty and smelly with no spray in sight. At some point, the toilets overflowed and the hall between the two bathrooms had plenty of liquid on the floor. I went to the cafeteria and alerted the cafeteria attendant plus two inspectors who were sitting and visiting with each other. They looked at me with total disinterest and I went back to my seat. The handicapped bathroom in my car was sticky with urine, both the floor and the toilet seat and there were no paper towels anywhere to be found. I took a picture of the bathroom because I intend to send it to Amtrak. The other bathroom that had overflowed and had the liquid spilled over the hall, instead of mopping the overflowed substance, the crew laid empty paper bags over it and that's the way it stayed until we pulled in Miami.

The stench of the bathrooms was so bad it reached all the way to the front of the car. I understand delays for unexpected reasons; it happens. I just don't understand lack of hygiene, total disinterest in the part of the crew and complete disregard for the health and well being of the passengers. It is insulting and profoundly disrespectful as if the coach passengers were of a less important class. I am a rewards member and have been traveling Amtrak for years. I understand there are budget constraints but there is no excuse for the disgusting way the toilets are kept when simple steps could be taken to prevent that situation. If you fly, do not travel via Amtrak.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I AM RATING THIS 1. But, If there was a 0 I would rate it zero. My husband have being using Amtrak for a while because he doesn't care to fly. Here lies the problem. Every time he uses Amtrak to return to New York there is always a problem. The train from Atlanta to New York is always late. Sometimes 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours late and counting. This is unacceptable! And there is always a Freight train excuse. Tonight, the Crescent Train 20 late again. The train supposed to leave at 8:00 pm. Now they are saying probably 11:00 pm and as the night goes on it gets worse. I think the people who take Amtrak is mostly minorities and it seems that leadership do not care about the service that they provide. It seems that Amtrak caters to business people who travel to work such as DC, Philadelphia, and other key areas. After that, mostly minorities travel to Atlanta and New Orleans. They do not care. It is a dawn shape!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I am currently on the Lake Shore Limited which left Chicago four and one half hours late. We will likely arrive in Boston five and a half hours late. This is appalling service. The wait in Chicago was made dismal by the closure of the first class/business class lounge at 9 pm. Had I been informed I could have had gotten something to eat before arriving at Union Station at 8:15 for my departure. The staff on the train is beset by concerned patrons and trying to do their best, but their ability to keep apologizing/excusing wears thin after this much time. On the trip out on Nov. 9th we were three and a half hours late arriving in Chicago. I have been a train lover my whole life but this is not acceptable. My previous trip to California was eight and a half hours late coming from Chicago. I can't make excuses for this anymore. I will be filing a complaint and will encourage my colleagues to NOT use Amtrak in the future.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Handicap baggage assistance lady told my senior, disabled, (tiny) mother that she shouldn’t travel with luggage she can’t handle. Once out of sight, made her drag her own luggage to the train. UNBELIEVABLE. Took Mom to station to catch her train, Saturday, November 10. The Zephyr (52 hr ride, for a month long trip). She packed accordingly. And planned on checking large luggage in at start of journey.

Very helpful woman at ticket counter noticed her destination. Recommended she NOT check in her luggage as it may not arrive on the same day she arrives. Ticket counter directed her to go to the disabled assistance area when it’s time so she can receive assistance loading it. Told her to do the same when she reaches Chicago.

Backtracking... The train was running 90 minutes late. We were told to come back (and then do this) when the train was back on schedule. An hour later...told the train was still not arrived. No big deal. Instructed to come back in 1 1/2 hours. 1 hour 15 minutes later, came back. Helpful ticket counter woman recognized us. Snapped into action. Everyone else from baggage assistance was already loaded. She took us out to the platform and told us the (assistance clerk) would be arriving in a minute With the drop offs. Ask her to take mom to the train for loading.

Helpful ticket counter woman was still with when (assistance clerk) arrived in baggage vehicle. Asked if she could get Mom and baggage to the train to load her luggage. Oddly...ticket counter woman told (assistance clerk) “if you can’t do it, find someone who can”. Wished us well and went on her way. Looking back - I think there was already a problem with the assistance clerk employee?? That was an odd conversation.

We loaded mom’s luggage on the cart. (Assistance clerk) started angrily telling me how everyone else (from disabled assistance area) was already loaded up. And if we had been on time we would be too. I explained to her that we were on time. Multiple times. The train was late. Mom climbed on, assistance clerk hit the gas and they were on their way. Found out after Mom was on the train... (Assistance clerk) started angrily telling her that she shouldn’t travel with luggage she can’t handle. That if she can’t handle her luggage, she shouldn’t be traveling at all. KEEP IN MIND...this was luggage that was supposed to be checked in. It was on Amtrak’s advice that we did not check it in. Which was good advice, considering. But it was still never my mother’s intent to even load or need loading assistance with her luggage. That was done on Amtrak’s advice.

Once the woman was out of sight...she made my mother drag her two largest, heaviest pieces of luggage to the train herself (about the length of a city block). The (assistance clerk) carried my mother's purse, backpack, and smaller suitcase. And the entire time, kept telling (yelling at) my mother about how she shouldn’t be traveling if she couldn’t handle her own luggage. Things to note: My mother is very tiny. A senior (66 years old). Recovering from a heart attack. And has a current hand injury from a nail getting impaled in her hand a few days prior.

She had never intended to be handling luggage she “couldn’t handle“ during the trip. This is luggage that was intended to be checked in at the beginning of the route. And not seen again until the end. THEY recommended that it not be checked, and that it travel on her train specifically. And although Amtrak was unaware of all the conditions (hand injury, heart attack recovery)...they WERE aware that she was a senior. And that, in looking at her and the luggage, she would obviously not be able to reasonably handle getting it loaded onto the train herself. (She is very tiny as well as being a senior.) Which is WHY they directed her to the assistant area when they recommend that she not check her baggage. I do not understand why they have such a bitter, angry, abusive woman specifically working with their senior and disabled passengers.

In my attempts to make a report or file a complaint against this employee over the last two days...I am repeatedly being told that there is nobody to handle such reports or complaints until Tuesday. (Today is Sunday.) While attempting to talk to someone at the 800 number...(after two days of frustration)...the Amtrak customer service employee was far more concerned about my use of language and anger at the incident, then she was about the behavior of the Amtrak employee that created the incident.

My family has used Amtrak in the past. We’ve had good trips and bad; met excellent employees and so-so employees. But we have never experienced anything like this. It is obscene that anyone should be treated this way. And even more obscene that any company would show such a lack of concern for it. It is absolutely horrifying.

My mother stayed quiet and kind even while being yelled at and made to drag her own luggage down the block to the train. She just did as told and listened to the woman yell at her about how she shouldn’t be traveling if she couldn’t handle her own bags. She did nothing to invoke or warrant such behavior from the woman. She did not complain at the obvious physical difficulty of the task or respond to the angry yelling. She quietly did as told. And then when they got to the train, quietly told the woman, “ you are a horrible person”.

My mother is currently on the train. And will be for another day. Amtrak does not even have a means to take incident reports at this time. (And really doesn’t seem to care.) My mother in the meantime, is still upset and angry. What started off as a happy journey is now a horrible days-long journey that can’t be ended soon enough. And all I can do is console her through text messages until she gets to destination. Amtrak customer service has been slowly dropping through the years. They have now reached all-time lows. At every level. Do not send people you love on Amtrak.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I've always heard mixed reviews about the Amtrak experience. I decided to give the 'slow way' a try and see how the experience is. I can pleasantly say that it was delightfully enjoyable! Below is a short summary of my recent trip from Kalamazoo to Detroit. First of all, the mobile app is super easy to search and book. It's right on par with other transportation mobile booking apps that I've used, like FlyDelta, Uber, Transit, and others. When I got to the station, I fully expected the train to be late. However, it was (literally) right on time. Boarding was fast too. Within 7 or 8 minutes we were pulling out of the station, still on time. Also, an amazing factor was no hassling security or check-in procedures. I literally arrived 10 minutes before the scheduled time and it was perfect.

Boarding is seamless. Just step on and take a seat anywhere. The train is comfortable and spacious - much larger than a bus or plane. Every seat has an outlet and lots of leg room. Luggage seems to be no issue since there are large shelves in each car for suitcases, as well as large overhead racks. The seats are large and relatively comfortable - plenty of room to lay back and stretch out. I was able to snag a row to myself so it was very comfortable being by myself. After that, the ride was pleasantly event-free. It was awesome to sit back and relax while looking out the huge windows. During my trip, I got the chance to get up and explore. The restrooms were clean and large too. I made way to the rear of the train and got a coffee, a personal pizza, and bag of pretzels which came out to $9.75. Coffee was great and the pizza was just average.

De-boarding was just a simple. Just gather your bags and step off. Both the station in Kalamazoo and Detroit were simple and clean. Every staff member I encountered seemed friendly and helpful. All in all, the trip was super pleasant. I never considered the train because I thought it would be complicated, but it's just the opposite. I found one of the nicest factors being simply the FREEDOM when you're aboard. You're just able to do so much more than you can on planes and buses. You can get up and walk around, use the restroom whenever you want (there are numerous restrooms in each car so no lines or waiting like in a plane), go grab a quick snack, stretch your legs, read, use your phone whenever, make calls, get actual work done since the tray tables are large, use the free and mildly fast WIFI, look out the window, and simply relax. I find relaxing hard on other transportation but easy on this train.

The train is definitely not overly luxurious by any means, but meets all the expectations of travel. The trip does take a bit longer than driving, especially if you have to drive to and wait at the station. But quite frankly, I think the convenience factors outweigh the timeliness factor. I will definitely be doing this route again and I will be considering traveling by train for future trips.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

December 23, 2015. The worst trip ever! NY to Jacksonville. Attendant Heather ** harassed me the entire trip. Actually called the cops on me when I told her I'd complain about her. I got the police report. She lied about me the cops and told the station manager to trespass me. I did absolutely nothing wrong. Couldn't sleep because she was staring at me and threatening me the whole trip. Had to try to sleep in the dining car. Amtrak never helped me with anything after I made the complaint. Every time I'm on Amtrak and an employee tries to give me attitude I shove the police report in their face.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Took Amtrak quite often lately and already encountered several delays. It could be more than one hour delay causing significant inconvenience. They should be on schedule to provide a much better service. Traveling with Amtrak is indeed slower than by car for several hundreds of miles. What a shame!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We are still sitting on our Amtrak train 4 hours after they announced there was a “break in the track”. We went backwards to Paul’s Valley, Oklahoma where nothing was open and we were totally stuck. No announcements have been made in over 3 hours and the 800 number Customer Service Agents have been ignorant and rude. This is exactly why Amtrak has no passengers!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

We looked so forward to take Amtrak to Grand Canyon for our 49th Wedding Anniversary. We will never travel Amtrak again. We were supposed to arrive in Wm. Ar. at 8:30 PM. We did not get there until 11:30 PM. By the time we checked into our Motel it was 1:15 PM. Then getting ready for bed it was almost 1:45 PM. We had to be up and ready at 8:30 AM to catch our Bus to Grand Canyon. Needless to say we were too tired to enjoy our Tour. We were never told that they would be so many Delays. So our advice would if you want to really enjoy yourself take a Plane and rent a Car. You will have much more time to do things without being too beat to do anything. And by the way coming home wasn't any better.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I’m currently on the Capitol Limited train Enroute to Chicago from Washington DC, and will arrive two hours late. When I asked the cabin porter the reason, she said that there were freight trains that caused the delay and that, I quote “We only lease the track”. I asked if, in the course or setting schedules that freight trains are taken into consideration, she said nothing. The SAME kind of delay happened when taking the Capitol Limited TO Washington DC four days ago. It seems that schedules mean nothing to Amtrak. Poor business practice.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I & my wife travelling on 777 Pacific Surfliner from San Diego to Santa Barbara currently (19th Oct). Train departed Santa Fe depot in San Diego around 12:05pm, but met with an accident outside of LA around 3pm. The train probably hit some trespasser on the tracks. Train stuck for over 4.5 hrs with no food or snacks being offered. The cafe in the train has also run out of food. I called the helpline 1800 twice, but they are of no use. My onward travel plans are messed up as a result. I understand an accident can happen sometimes on the track, but a proper response is necessary. No alternative travel arrangements made. A very poor service & response from Amtrak.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My wife (61) and I (64) made reservations several months in advance and due to severe medical issues are forced to cancel. The reservations were for a trip commencing on June 10th, 2019. She has been diagnosed with tear(s) to her Achilles tendon as well as other fractures in her lower foot. We cancelled our trip immediately after the 3 surgeons agreed that it is progressive and by next year her pain index (though somewhat unclear), will be much worse. Taking this into consideration, especially that this trip included horseback riding and gem mining, we strongly agreed to cancel, since she would be taken away from her therapy here as well as most likely be very limited to activities on the vacation we planned. No doctor could possibly give a "note declaring what is still unclear" but we have "several" corroborating medical records from said surgeons which we have made available.

Despite all this, Amtrak has charged us a fee of 494 dollars for cancelling. This is completely unfair. Your customer relations is aware of this and does not care about extenuating circumstances. We have made numerous attempts at reaching someone that could rectify this whole issue. We have contacted the Inspector General's office as well as the NYS IG office and have written personal letters to two of the board members at Amtrak. Let's be clear, we do not like taking this action, but have little choice. We have also started a very aggressive online campaign to let as many people as we can possibly reach through social media, including FB, Twitter and our own county blog report pages. We ask that you contact us asap if interested in solving this @ **. We do not wish to campaign against Amtrak, however we will continue if needed...

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I booked a trip and got the insurance because there was a chance that the trip would need to be canceled. As it turned out the trip had to be canceled. Then the fun really began. I’m still in the process of trying to figure out what I did wrong other than booking on Amtrak... An amazing runaround, very condescending attitudes and every explanation why they didn’t have to give me a refund despite the insurance which is recommended on their site but they disavow any connection to when there’s trouble. Now I remember why I usually drive places and will resume doing so.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

New York City Penn station Amtrak is a joke. This has become a total embarrassment, the managers lets the CSR's that sit at the waiting rooms do whatever they want to do and make their own rules, Jackie and her relief for 10-02-2018 has the worst attitudes in the State of NYC. Amtrak how do you allow this type of low life called customer service to go on.

These two ladies is very disrespectful, their attitudes is pathetic, they argue with every customer that comes in the waiting room, I can hear Jackie and the other lady's mouth all over the waiting area, and THIS IS ACCEPTABLE, you wonder why you have 1 or 2 star ratings. Please give these 2 ladies some classes, on professionalism and customer service, and I hope neither of them is a lead or manager if so this will be even a more sad situation. I hope everyone reads this and take heed. This incident took place around 1:40 am. Come on Amtrak get it together it's about to be 2019.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Rent a car instead. None of their customer service reps have the same stories about anything. I literally missed a whole day of school because 5 different Amtrak agents gave me different stories about the status of my train. Then their customer relations people argued with me when I called them to file a case and get proof of some sort so my school work could be turned in without a penalty. Amtrak is trash and just lost a loyal customer.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I just spoke with customers service. I traveled on Amtrak since 2016. This the first time I've been mistreated by customers service and supervisor. I only asked if my mom can travel with two small dogs. The supervisor was nasty and rude and he hung up on me. Just nasty and rude. Never will I travel with them.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I found the new seats in the coaches stiff and uncomfortable. There is no middle hand rest anymore. The old seat were more spacious and warm. Now I feel I am riding the Greyhound bus. No good. Why do they change the style? It was a sales pitch? The customers are the one suffering. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My mother and I enjoy the travel and elegant meal, white tablecloths and a hot tasty meal. NOT THIS YEAR! Lake Shore Limited and Empire Builder. We were told the sleeper cars had their own dining car, fully refurbished. When we got our breakfast, we were handed a balsa wood box, filled with high sugar foods with nuts in plastic non ecofriendly containers. There was unripe fruit, hard as a rock. I could have broken a tooth on the mango. High sugar vanilla yogurt, with nice blueberries and high sugar granola with nuts. A Kashi Bar again with more nuts and a ICE COLD blueberry muffin. There was no butter provided or available. No coffee and Tropicana Orange juice.

For Lunch was the same as dinner. A balls wood box filled with many non ecofriendly plastic. I had the Vegan wrap. Just in the wrap the sodium was 1480 grams. Eggplant was like shoe leather. I removed it. Then quinoa salad, high salt, an awful nonbaked cheesecake that one bite made me throw it away. Mom had the antipasto, high sodium ham turkey prosciutto, olives, pickles and white beans, hard thin breadsticks and a no bake cheesecake all in non ecofriendly plastic. Dinner was the same. The entire NEW MENU WAS ATROCIOUS! Our trip was no longer special. I urge everyone to complain because this was a sample of how ALL TRAIN TRAVEL WILL BECOME.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Was given Amtrak gift card as present. Turns out, it is only redeemable by going to a physical train station in a major US city. Cannot be used online (despite there being a payment option saying gift card when you buy their tickets online), and it cannot be used in any medium or small city stations even though they sell Amtrak tickets there.

Amtrak Company Information