1.43/5

818 Amtrak Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 8, 2019

My sister and I checked in at the Tampa FL station and were helped by Gilbert. Absolutely wonderful human being. Very kind and welcoming to everyone. He helped while we were waiting for our train. I don't usually do reviews but this employee deserves to be recognized.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I booked a trip to Chicago on Amtrak and part of the trip included a bus ride between two cities. On the return trip, due to bad weather, the bus was canceled. Amtrak found a private driver who took me and another passenger 100 miles to our next destination, driving in very bad weather. I figured I had to wait for the next bus but Amtrak stepped up to the plate and really helped me out in a pinch. Way to go Amtrak!

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Pretty great. I get in, I sit down in a big comfy seat, and I stretch my legs all the way out in a really roomy area. I watch the landscape speed past and I do work on my laptop. If I'm hungry I grab food from the cafe car. It's amazing. There are delays, and the conductors are often overworked and rushing all around. Don't get in their way, and don't complain to them - they don't control whether the train breaks down or not. I've always been polite and done what they asked immediately, and I've never had a problem with them.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I've always heard mixed reviews about the Amtrak experience. I decided to give the 'slow way' a try and see how the experience is. I can pleasantly say that it was delightfully enjoyable! Below is a short summary of my recent trip from Kalamazoo to Detroit. First of all, the mobile app is super easy to search and book. It's right on par with other transportation mobile booking apps that I've used, like FlyDelta, Uber, Transit, and others. When I got to the station, I fully expected the train to be late. However, it was (literally) right on time. Boarding was fast too. Within 7 or 8 minutes we were pulling out of the station, still on time. Also, an amazing factor was no hassling security or check-in procedures. I literally arrived 10 minutes before the scheduled time and it was perfect.

Boarding is seamless. Just step on and take a seat anywhere. The train is comfortable and spacious - much larger than a bus or plane. Every seat has an outlet and lots of leg room. Luggage seems to be no issue since there are large shelves in each car for suitcases, as well as large overhead racks. The seats are large and relatively comfortable - plenty of room to lay back and stretch out. I was able to snag a row to myself so it was very comfortable being by myself. After that, the ride was pleasantly event-free. It was awesome to sit back and relax while looking out the huge windows. During my trip, I got the chance to get up and explore. The restrooms were clean and large too. I made way to the rear of the train and got a coffee, a personal pizza, and bag of pretzels which came out to $9.75. Coffee was great and the pizza was just average.

De-boarding was just a simple. Just gather your bags and step off. Both the station in Kalamazoo and Detroit were simple and clean. Every staff member I encountered seemed friendly and helpful. All in all, the trip was super pleasant. I never considered the train because I thought it would be complicated, but it's just the opposite. I found one of the nicest factors being simply the FREEDOM when you're aboard. You're just able to do so much more than you can on planes and buses. You can get up and walk around, use the restroom whenever you want (there are numerous restrooms in each car so no lines or waiting like in a plane), go grab a quick snack, stretch your legs, read, use your phone whenever, make calls, get actual work done since the tray tables are large, use the free and mildly fast WIFI, look out the window, and simply relax. I find relaxing hard on other transportation but easy on this train.

The train is definitely not overly luxurious by any means, but meets all the expectations of travel. The trip does take a bit longer than driving, especially if you have to drive to and wait at the station. But quite frankly, I think the convenience factors outweigh the timeliness factor. I will definitely be doing this route again and I will be considering traveling by train for future trips.

Original review: June 14, 2018

By even better, a little dissatisfied with the fact that they have 500 locations and Greyhound has tons more but, this is the only slight complaint. They're usually on the bad side of town just like Greyhound but they often times have a security guard to chase off sketchy people which is pretty nice. I'm glad to see that little extra paid for my ticket goes into this. Also, you'll be able to get access to better food. On Greyhound you'd get a candy bar and/or a burger. Here, you'd get healthy food. It makes the experience greater.

Also they're more reliable, the layovers are pretty short and they don't throw you off like Greyhound does. I saw someone cuss out the conductors and they said "I'm sorry you're having a bad day." Now on Greyhound, they would've thrown you off the bus. Amtrak was only late on one of the connections on my cross country ticket. Greyhound would've been always late. Also, the people who can afford this type of thing are more honest and aren't going to harass you for money or crap like that. For the love of your own sanity, spend 600$ on an Amtrak ticket instead of a 200$ Greyhound ticket.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amtrak?

Original review: May 20, 2019

All was good until we hit a pedestrian and no one seemed to care. Yep. Still sitting on the train, finishing our trip like nothing even happened. The personnel went so far as to apologise for the delay that the "trespasser" caused. A person is dead. We don't know if it was someone out for a morning stroll, a death by suicide, a child walking to school... They announced breakfast while we waited for the police to investigate. Totally sickening. Not to mention that I am a nursing student- they didn't even announce a need for medical personnel. The handling of this situation was so callous and disturbing. I'm still in a state of shock that a human life can be so devalued, and obviously this segment of transportation in the United States can function above the law.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have planned a trip around the West Coast. My trip included the train journey from Emeryville -Seattle. Train No. 14 Coast Starlight 10.04. Then I was planning to catch a bus from Seattle to Spokane 12.04, which was scheduled to leave at 11.45 PM and after that I needed to catch another bus Spokane-Missoula 13.04. Due to the fact that the train was 11 hours late, I have lost both of my bus tickets. I spoke to Amtrak employees on the train and they have assured me that someone will help me to solve the problem with the buses. However, nobody helped me upon our arrival to Seattle. I was obliged to buy another ticket for 126.50$. I was planning to have 3.45 connection between the train and the bus, therefore I could have definitely taken my bus on time. I have contacted Amtrak customer support ONE MONTH AGO and still no reply.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I will start this off by saying that I travel often. I generally fly, but do take Amtrak often as well depending on where I am traveling. Long story short, there was an issue with my ticket and they would not let me through the gate until I fixed my issue with my ticket. I called customer service, was on hold for 30 minutes, and by the time my call was taken and the issue was sorted out, it was 10 minutes until the train was leaving and they said the gate was 'closed' even though the train was still there. I was not allowed to go through, even though I had my updated ticket with me and have never heard the '10 minute' prior gate closing rule in all of the time I have traveled with Amtrak.

I called the customer service line again, waited 30 minutes, and decided I would call the next day as by this point I was beyond frustrated. I called the next day, sat on hold for an hour and finally spoke to a representative. They said my ticket was 'forfeited' since I did not board the train. After explaining the situation, the representative was extremely rude and distasteful on top of being entirely unhelpful, and told me it has already been paid for and they could not offer a credit for another trip - I had not even asked for a refund, just simply a credit toward the same trip in the future so Amtrak could hopefully redeem themselves. He responded by saying if they did that, everyone would just call and make up stories to get free trips. It was astonishing to me how awful the customer service was. They have now lost a continual customer and I hope many more, over one $25 ticket. All I can say now is that I hope that $25 ticket was really worth it to them.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I boarded the train car nearest the cafe. I thought that I'd get some tea while making my way to my seat. As I began to sit my work bag down the cafe attendant starts rudely telling me as she's waving her arms like she is directing traffic "keep moving! No sitting in this area! This area is for eating only!" She then gets up from her seat to help another customer. Then I say to her. "I have a question for clarification sake, Are you saying that I cannot have my work bag with me while I order my tea?" Her response, "No bags in this area" with the same rude tone iced with a condescending attitude. She adds, "My Conductor will tell you the same thing." If the rules are such, There is a way to deal with customers. How about with plain 'ol simple KINDNESS. No one wants their morning intercepted with this kind of unnecessary meanness!

Original review: May 6, 2019

Amtrak ran a special in Dec 2018. 2 for 1 sleeper car. The website (Amtrak’s Very own) said book here for this deal. I pressed book here and it took me to a page with only one option. I booked for $568. When we got to the station we were told we had coach tickets. I called Amtrak and they initially said my reservations were changed 2 days after my booking. Later he said my reservations had not changed and I booked coach seats full price. The most expensive sleeper car is $440. Why then would I pay full price for each person for coach at $568? My fault they say. I say it’s the website. I could only check one option. Shouldn’t it have been the option they advertised? Buyer beware with Amtrak. Bait and switch. I am not a happy train rider and will not ride Amtrak again. I’ve been all over Europe on trains and no other carrier treats people this way. No wonder the train is 1/2 empty. This will be my last time scammed by Amtrak.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Our family was a fan and used them for various vacations, years ago, but recently my daughter used the train to visit from college in Alabama. It was full of party-goers headed to New Orleans, and was rushed off the train because it was 4 hours late to New Orleans (several groups were partying and drinking) the whole trip (and wanted to get to their hotels and the French Quarter because everyone was now running late for their activities). Long story short, they picked our daughter up off the ground from the exit floor and wheeled her over to her friend's car with a bag of ice. No medical check or call at all. She had multiple broken bones and likely a concussion - only 23 years old.

Wrecked her life and ours - they wouldn't even agree to pay for the medical co-payments we are still racking up each week. Hopefully she will be walking on her own again after physical therapy. How can a big company be so little... I even contacted the CEO - no response at all. They were heartless during, and many times, after our daughter was injured.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Father’s Day June 17 2018 Got kicked off a train 1 mile from Sta. The train was scheduled to leave at 3 am. Didn’t leave untill 8 am. I went right to sleep, woke up because one of the workers was shaking me. He said, "Get up. We have people saying you went thru luggage." The lady behind me said, "He hasn’t moved since Elko. Leave him alone." He said, "Why are you so sleepy" and keeps shaking me (been up all night is why I am sleepy.) He pull me up and said, "You are going down stairs." People in the car started to boo him.. He took me down the stairs and I could hear the train slowing down. It was almost a half mile out of Lovelock Nv when he threw my suitcase to the ground.

I got out still sleepy. Started to walk to Lovelock Nv. A Sherrif pulls up and says, "Did you kicked off that train?" I said yes. He told me to keep walking and not to stop in Lovelock Nv. I walked 14 miles before I got a ride. I have to artificial hips and 3 hernia tears. It was well Over 100 degrees. I got to my Daughters at 8 pm Father’s Day over. Tore my suitcase to pieces because I dragged most of the way. Hal ** Wells Nv. **

Original review: April 29, 2019

We’re taking the train from Richmond (VA) to New York, the train was delayed 2 HOURS, at the station and website they inform you the train will make up time. LIE! Just pizza to eat and FILTHY toilets!

Original review: April 28, 2019

I finally take Amtrak from Poughkeepsie, NY to NYC to only experience 1 hour delay going and then 20-30 min delay coming back same day. I wanted to take my son who had never been to NY. Big mistake on Amtrak. Paid $130 to lose out on some of the things we wanted to do. Just not reliable anymore like the good old days when they were. I expect seeing and now hearing horror stories they will be out of business in 10 years or less.

Original review: April 9, 2019

On the 11 Starlight, March 31, Seattle (Olympia) to Santa Barbara, the food for lunch and dinner was very substandard. With the cost of a sleeper car, we expected much better food. Salmon dinner very dry- obviously precooked and then on board just heated. Probably fly next time. Then, April 3, Seattle to Olympia (Wa), 507 Cascades- train, especially bathrooms, very dirty, unkempt, and just old. No attempt by crew to even try and improve the cleanliness of the car.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I am disabled at this time. I have to use a consintrater. When I purchased my ticket I was told I would have assistance boarding. I stood at platform in Modesto waiting for assistance. The Amtrak employee passed me several times. Finally I asked him for help. He seemed bothered that I asked for help and gave attitude. He grabbed my 02 unit. Basically threw it up on the train and rudely said find a seat. Then we get to Martinez. No Amtrak employee helped me off the train. Luckily some helpful customers helped me off and were also surprised of the bad service. Then the train arrives in Martinez I believe it was 14 starlight.

It took me several times to get the attention of the Amtrak worker. When I did she sent me from one end of the platform to the other. Mind you I have lung issues and can't breathe. Sadly no Amtrak workers bothered to help me and again 2 Amtrak customers helped me to the door. The attendant then says, “Sir your way out of breath” and threatened to call the conductor to have me removed from the train cause I asked for help to my seat and couldn't talk because of my breathing. Mind you I was in business class. But this behavior is unacceptable no matter what seating you’re in. My advice to those with disabilities DON’T RIDE AMTRAK. Sadly I hate to rate 1 star to continue. I didn't want to give that!

Original review: April 6, 2019

Horrible customer service. The food is a ripoff. The trains smell like a flop house in the filthiest ** you can imagine. The wall to wall carpeting was disgustingly filthy, a 25 cent nudie peep booth probably has cleaner walls and floors than an Amtrak train does. The conductors were all rude. They treated the passengers like prisoners while they played prison guards... They charged me 8.50 for a 12 oz. soda. A 4 oz bag of chips and a hot dog which they nuked so bad it was half way hard from being overcooked. I took this trip out of necessity. I usually fly but I figured why not try train. HUGE MISTAKE. Amtrak customers for the most part are stinking bus and transient scumbags. The train smelled like **... FILTHY FILTHY FILTHY!!!!

The Silver Star 92 is a horrible way to travel. If you can catch a plane DO IT. This took 30 HOURS when a flight would have been 2 hours. If you can't afford a plane ticket then take Greyhound. Greyhound customers are no worse than 90% of the transients on this train... same lowlife scumbags. The train is a HORRIBLE RIDE... bumpy the entire way. At least Greyhound doesn't feel like you are driving over a pile of boulders ALL THE TIME. The federal government should have let Amtrak go bankrupt. This is a horrible company. I NOW HATE AMTRAK AND I REFUSE TO TAKE ANOTHER TRAIN TRIP EVER!!!!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I'm posting this review as I was dealing with Amtrak police and they stopped contacting me and never resolved the issue. Other people need to know women are not safe on Amtrak. A man sitting in front of me took issue with me on Coast Starlight. I was talking to the automated T-Mobile thing to top up and he was like “shut up **” and started yelling things about girls like me crying harassment and calling the cops on innocent men, I said this to the staff and in front of the staff member he says “you think you are scared now girl? Wait till I get off with you in Portland.” I am a 24 year old girl from Ireland, travelling alone from LA to Portland to meet my friend on what was supposed to be a magical journey.

The staff started getting aggressive with me for some reason, asking if I cleaned up my mess (no idea what they meant), told me if I didn’t like it to get off in Sacramento. This guy continued to say things about me loudly until they escalated into him saying he was going to have me “iced” and ** and dumped and nobody would ever find me and that he was going to blind me with hot coffee.

He got another guy involved, started repeating this stuff to that guy saying women like me keep crying harassment. The whole time he was hiding his face with a scarf saying “I'm not gonna let the ** see my face” and filming me saying he is going to put it on YouTube. I asked the woman next to me for help and she was like “he won’t ** stop talking and that’s cause of you. ** off”. The staff won’t help so I hide in business class so I can sleep. I get woken up and told off for being there so I explain to them what happened. What happened next is kafkaesque. I can’t believe I’m even typing it.

The conductor (Mike) offered to give me a private room in his quarters so I could sleep as I was too afraid to go back to my assigned seat cause of this guy. So the man who I think is being really nice, he brings me to a room, gets me a coffee, I look upset. He says everything is ok. If I need anything come get him. A short time later he comes back and says there are conflicting reports about what I said happened. He said That I was pacing the train through the carriages all night (wtf) taking different men Into the bathrooms with me. And then says “we get a lot of folk on here and it’s clear you have issues and there is a drug problem here”. This is absolute madness. I was not using drugs on this train.

I ask him why I would be bringing men into the restroom and he accused me of being a sex worker. Obviously I was flabbergasted, at this point he leaned towards me, really hammering home this me being a sex worker nonsense, at this point I became terrified he was going to sexually assault me, So I took out my phone and started to record the conversation and let him know. He gets extremely irate and leaves the carriage screaming and shouting at me.

After this I try to get off at Salem and they won’t let me off (I just want to get off the train at this point and I’m terrified this guy is going to follow me off at Portland). I finally get to the train and get off, terrified and crying, I run to meet my friend at the station. I called Amtrak police and spoke to a detective Anderson who assured me someone would call me about this Mike, I followed up 3 times and never got any resolution. This was the most terrifying experience I've ever had and now have panic attacks when I ride public transport. Amtrak Coast Starlight is not safe for women!

Original review: March 25, 2019

We (wife and I) have 10s of thousands of miles on Amtrak. Our latest experience was by far the worst yet. We started on the 14 train (Coast Starlight) to Sacramento. It was a 14 hour trip and we were exhausted from that trip, yet to SUPPOSEDLY pick up the 6 Train (California Zephyr) to Reno. The Train never happened and after waiting for hours, I went to the ticket agent, who was a superb lady. She told me the best thing to do was take the Amtrak Bus, which was ready to depart. We ALWAYS travel in a sleeper which include hot prepared meals in the dining car. The bus does not serve anything including water.

A week later we were to take the 5 train (California Zephyr) to Emeryville. The train status showed the train 16 hours late, and again back to the bus for our return trip. We boarded the 11 train (Coast Starlight) the following morning and were notified that the dining car was NOT serving hot meals as a result of a broken oven/flat-top. For lunch we were treated to SUBWAY short sandwiches. Either Turkey, BLT or a Vegetarian. For dinner we had some dried out chicken, rice and God only knows what the salad was purported to be. The train staff apologized for the hot meals that we could select.

To me it seems that the CEO of Amtrak has lost sight of what his company should be doing, unless you are one of the privileged East coast political/business customers. Our, ALL AMERICANS support this company to the tune of over 1 BILLION dollars every year just to see the monies funneled to the privileged. It's time to TELL your Congress person to cease funding this poorly ran company. I have seen cuts every year that hurt their performance rather than increase ridership. They have recently discontinued the Parlor Car for Sleeper passengers, and I am told they have sold them. Maybe, just maybe if the executives that run this company would come out West and ride these trains, without the staff knowing they were to be Riders, things might change.

Original review: March 24, 2019

We live in a Technologically Advanced world. Amtrak need to create a situation where you can be able to modify your 10-ride tickets to input the date you are traveling. I get push by the side for using 10 ride ticket even though I was the 3rd on the line. The Driver said, "Ticket Passengers first," and I wonder if I am not a ticket passenger as well. Another time I called and they told me Bus is full, as such I cannot travel on day and time I intended to travel. All these will not happen if I can go back to the app or website and modify my travel day within 48 hrs windows. Amtrak should review this and talk to their IT department, I am sure this is doable.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Again, after trying Amtrak website for about 30 minutes, just called (800-USA-RAIL) customer service. Spoke with a man, Lloyd. I am deaf in my left ear, so I always use speaker on my phone held to my good ear. I'm also retired and disabled. I requested a reservation for a seat leaving NC arrive FL. He asked, "What day?", I said, "What's the schedule for Friday?" (My boyfriend of 40 yrs was listening) Then I realized oops, I mean to leave Sat morning and arrive Sat morning. I have taken this trip 8 or 9 times in 4 yrs. I know I would leave NC After midnight and arrive FL 9 hours later.

So we set my reservation for 1:22 Sat morning to arrive 9:09 Sat morning. I explained I would be there Friday night by 12 midnight, as not to miss the train. My sister in FL was to pay the ticket, I explained this to him and he gave me a reservation number, then said, "Your train leaves at 1:22 Sat morning and arrives 9:09 Sat morning". I said, "Great. I'll call my sister and have her call you, but, not sure if she will get you but, she will pay the reservation number". We said our goodbyes.

Called my sister, she called. Paid ticket. Said they told her arrival at 9:09 Sat. She does not remember them saying departure time. But, has confirmation number. Friday, I packed, had everything ready and called to see if train was on time. Customer service said they cancelled my reservation and forfeited my monies, 'cause the reservation was for FRIDAY morning at 1:22 AM!!! Told couldn't do anything about it till Monday because Amtrak Relations Dept. would not be open till then. And they are the only ones who could handle this. Worse... this time going home, was because my niece's mother and my best friend is dying of Cancer and been sent home with Hospice. She weighs 31 lbs. I have no monies and my sister can't help again till Tuesday which will put me there Weds morning.

All these monies I have to pay back to her on the 3rd of Apr. Should they (Amtrak) decide not to give me back my reservation. I cannot even afford a bus. It's more expensive than a cheap seat with Amtrak. I have to have state help just to pay my rent. I'm seriously scared I may have to EAT this man's mistake. I'm praying Dawn holds on so I can say prayers and goodbyes before she goes. She's only 52 yrs old. My niece turns 19 in Dec. See how important this trip was to me. Amtrak no help on the weekends.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Amtrak has gone to crap. My first time riding with them after many, many years. Their buses? Late. And jittery. Their trains stop constantly and get you to your destination an hour late. Horrible service. I’ll never take Amtrak again.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I’m very disappointed in my first Amtrak ride since kindergarten. The conductor told everyone getting off at the stop to head downstairs, which I did, and waited for the doors to open. Only problem is THEY NEVER DID!!! Once realizing I wasn’t going to be getting off I told a worker but the train was already leaving the station. I was told I then had to wait until the next station to get on the next train back. When all they had to do was OPEN THE DOORS! Luckily I had family who could pick me up and take me back to my vehicle but I’m EXTREMELY disappointed. I was not the only one this had happened to this train ride either. At an earlier station a person wasn’t allowed off but that time they stopped the train. Mine I wasn’t so lucky. Very disappointed.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I took a train back from Kansas City with my family, including 3 young children. This trip was supposed to be 5 hours and ended up being 12 hours. We were given no information while stuck on how long we would be on the train. Amtrak didn’t take responsibility for the horrific ride, lack of information, and was unwilling to do a full refund which was completely unacceptable considering what we endured. We did this once and NEVER again. I DO NOT recommend taking this experience at all! Completely disappointed and it’s a bit scary that NO ONE had detailed information or direct communication with all of the trains on the track so that people could be kept safe and informed!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I followed all the rules. I called at 3am and talked to an Amtrak rep to figure out how to board the bus. I paid an Uber 30$ to arrive at the station early. Was told I could buy a ticket at station and get on my bus that departed at 5:20. Arrived, wouldn't let me on bus because I didn't have a ticket from a station that wasn't open in time for me to buy one. Tried to call 800 number to buy, he wouldn't sell me one in time. Bus left without me. I tried to pay the driver, wouldn't accept that either. I was the only person trying to get on the empty bus and despite doing everything asked, I'm now waiting for the station to open at 6:15 for a bus that leaves at 7:50. My time, efforts and patience mean nothing to this company. 3rd world buses wouldn't have left me on the curbside like this company has this morning.

Resolution response: March 13, 2019

After experiencing poor customer service with the AMTRAK agents, I contacted the Amtrak Customer Affairs department and recieved AMAZING customer service. They were able to resolve the issue to my satisfaction, but more importantly, they agreed to contact the developer of correct the flaws on their website. Thank you!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I was in the process of modifying my ticket for an upcoming trip to see if I could get on an earlier train. The website asked for a time range and I selected afternoon options. The selections returned were EARLY MORNING options and I ended up selecting a 3:35 AM train as opposed to a 3:35 PM train. Then I had to spend $80 to fix it. Even though I called customer service within a few minutes they were NOT HELPFUL at all. Very dissatisfied and believe AMTRAK's business practices are purposely deceiving to increase revenue.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Amtrak canceled my train at the last minute as I was about to leave on a multi-country business trip. I called to find alternatives and was on hold for 40+ minutes because a big snowstorm had put a strain on their customer service. They said there were no alternative trains and they would refund my money. This was in January, it is now March. I have sent them multiple emails, website inquiries, and called 4 times only to be redirected to person after clueless person who said "Huh, I wonder why this refund didn't go through? That's weird!" Case number **. They took my money, then canceled the train and didn't give my money back.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

They have always been overpriced and terrible but the digital experience on Amtrak is a disgrace to this country. It is akin to being back in the 1990s. The website first of all has a fixed screen so that in order to scroll through train options, the scroll bar only allows you to view one train at a time. The scroll displays only one train at a time that it is almost impossible to read. The app is the worst part. It constantly logs you out for no reason. It never stores any payment information (you need to constantly re-enter it even when you have selected).

Why is it that in developed countries anywhere else in the globe the experience is so different. In Japan and Germany when you book a train ticket, even a year in advance, they tell you which carriage and seat you are in and where to stand on which platform...a completely different experience to the hell at Penn station which is a complete free for all, disorganized and chaotic. They started a first class line for pre-boarding but now that roped off area is just a lazy left over of a good idea badly executed. They don't even check tickets for boarding anymore.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

There is a serious problem with septic odor on the train and Amtrak does not want to address it. Our first room attendee had duct tape and put cardboard on our vent. The symptoms are watery eyes, nausea, tasting it in our mouths. One worker admitted it's a problem, explained the septic exhaust is located beside the air intake. All others tried denying it. When I asked another traveler to contact Amtrak, I was "politely" told not to talk to other passengers! I was not given a reimbursement for the cost of the sleeper car when I had to go to coach to sleep to escape the odor. Oh, we did get a voucher to use on a future trip (yeah, right) and refund for our inconvenience, but I think the difference in cost should have been reimbursed.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Feb 6, 2019. Bus 4768 3:15-6:30am Driver "Jim" [Refused to disclose last name] (American Transport). Driver was blatantly too tired to drive or drunk! He woke me up several times because I could hear the wheels start to vibrate from the side emergency vibrators. When I finally started watching Jim drive I noticed he was swerving through lanes. He also kept his window down in 30 degree weather! That was a huge indication that he was trying to keep himself awake! After several times asking for the window to be raised for over 30 min. he did nothing.

Then yet again he crossed lanes in the Gaviota Canyon (An extremely dangerous curvy area!) and swerved into the left emergency vibrators way past the yellow lines! Causing everyone in the bus to become extremely alarmed by his driving! Jim immediate yelled, "I was getting out of the way from something in the road." To which I replied, "that I was watching and filming and there was nothing in the road!" Jim said, "Don't worry there’s cameras on the bus watching." (I’d like to see the video!) I was so scared I was already filming his driving, and the film shows nothing in the road!

Once in the train station in Santa Barbara, the manager on duty was notified of the situation and asked to take action & check their contracted driver to see if he was drunk. The manager & Jim had a quick talk and all was good for them. The manager said that the only thing I could do is call in a report to Amtrak. I told him I had no reception & asked to use the phone. He said no. Jim left without having a sobriety check! Once on the train I saw the manager talk to the train’s security & conductor. I asked them why they couldn't have done anything to console the passengers. They laughed a bit between themselves and said, "Don't worry the train won’t go out of its lanes." Like it was a joke to them. AMTRAK NEEDS TO TAKE SAFETY FIRST! They should take more oversight of the contractors they use! This is not the first time I've had a completely negative situation with AMTRAK. AMTRAK's customer service is the worst!

Amtrak Company Information