Amtrak

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps

Research top Transportation & Rideshare Apps recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I hate Amtrak. I've taken their trains several times and this is the last time. I'm not even that picky about customer service, all I want to do is get on a train when I need to, get where I need to go, and get off. I sleep the whole time anyway. It's consistently late which is annoying, but I've never experienced a delay over 4 hours until today. Today the train was 8 hours late. 8 hours!!! No apologies or anything. I arrived at my train station at 2:15 for a 2:45 train, and I didn't get to sleep because I was trying to make sure not to miss it. My train didn't leave until almost 11 a.m. And instead of warning me when I got there, they kept pretending like it was almost on the way. So I sat there. In the filthy drug addict infested train station with no sleep for 8 extra hours. When we finally board the train, there is still not even a slight apology for the delay.

Now the conductor stops the train and says he has run out of hours so he cannot continue driving the train. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Now we're waiting for another conductor to come so they can resume the ride. We're again not given an apology and are told it could be 35-45 minutes or more until we start moving again but they really don't know. Bottom line, they don't care about their customers. They waste so much of your time and don't care. The food isn't good and it's so overpriced. Horrible experience all in all, I'm not going to keep wasting my money on this company and you shouldn't either.

I purchased a ticket on Amtrak. I got almost to the station and realized I left my bag at motel with my phone and personal things. Couldn't afford to pay for ride back to Motel so it took me 3 hrs to walk. No way of contacting anyone till I had my phone. I asked for a refund and have been rudely told no. No way, no how unless I had documents stating a medical emergency. I was ROBBED!!!

Basically this company sold me a 340 USD ticket from Denver to New York (two days of trip). When I was in Chicago after 1 whole day of trip the company Amtrak in fact have showers in Chicago union station but they told me I cannot use because I need first class ticket with bed in the car. The first class ticket is more than 600 USD ticket. Basically I need pay 600 dollars to take a shower. I cannot afford that and is ridiculous... So finally I was forced by this situation to travel 2 days without shower. Also the food is two or more times expensive compared with good restaurant food.

I had the unpleasant experience of riding Amtrak in January of 2017. First of all the trains go way tooo slow. There were numerous stops along the way because they had to empty the fuel out of the engine. The train was late to start about 2 1/2 hrs. The trains are way tooo old and then the air conditioning stopped working. People were bringing way too much stuff. Awful food service.

Amtrak provides very poor service to their customers. Delays repeatedly with no apologies for such poor service. I'm so upset that such a big company providing such poor service. I'm appalled by the behavior of the employees not being a little more considerate knowing that the poor service is the reason for the unhappy consumers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amtrak?

Amtrak Autotrain - Handicap sleeper unusable upper bunk. Door could not be closed unless locked from inside. Air could not be turned off. We were unable to get any sleep... When we canceled the return trip we were not given a full refund.

My 18 year old son took the train from Chico, Ca. to Eugene, Or. on Friday, Feb 10. and was scheduled to return early Monday Feb 13. After his first train trip was delayed by more than 3 hours, he is informed on Sunday that his return train has been cancelled. The next train was scheduled to leave Wednesday night Feb.15. He was told he was responsible for his own lodging and food while being stranded in Eugene because (like this makes a difference to a paying customer) it was due to mudslide on the tracks and that was unforeseeable.

If it had been a mechanical failure, they would have accommodated him and the other passengers. And how do we know that it wasn't? The agent advised my son to grab some space on the bench and sleep in the train station - FOR 3 DAYS. This is customer service??? When I called on his behalf, frustrated at the poor treatment, the rep asked me if I could send him some money for food(!). I will never allow my son to travel on an Amtrak train as long as this is the way they treat people.

Travelling between the east coast and the west coast, a one-way coach sleeper berth is $1,252. Note that this is coach, not 1st class, and only one-way. $1,252 is 5 times the cost of flying! The 1st reason for the outrageous price is AmTrak's overpaid executives & board members. Put these featherbedders to work on board the trains for $50K/yr, instead of the $200K+ they each make now for doing nothing. The 2nd reason for the price is that our government, who should oversee the Amtrak salaries and rates to make them fair, has been bought by the oil fat cats and told to do everything possible to kill rail service in the US. Outrageous ticket prices are a perfect way to kill it.

The 3rd reason for the sky-high sleeper berth price is that Amtrak has Americanized the sleeper car. In W. Europe there are 4 beds per compartment, and in E. Europe there are 6. This is nice and cozy and you get to meet people. Amtrak's putting only 2 beds per compartment, turns it into an isolation chamber. The 4th reason for the unaffordable coach sleeper ticket is the unnecessary, forced luxuries listed on the Amtrak site, and I comment on each:

Meals included - It used to be in all Europe, but you see it mostly in E. Europe today, that train travelers would bring their own food and eat it at the fold down table in their compartment. Boiled eggs, unsliced dark bread, dry salted fish, sausages, beer, etc. Private women would also sell homemade hot or baked items & beer from the platforms, handing the purchases thru the compartment windows.

Two comfortable seats which convert to a bed; upper berth lowered down from the ceiling - Look at the picture. These seats are too wide. How depressing and cramped it is to sit there all day staring into a sink, cabinet, and wall, instead of sitting in a normal sized compartment with 3 passengers facing 3 passengers, as the serviceable & fun Euro. & US sleeper compartments were for over 100 years.

Sink and toilet in room - Are Americans really too proud to use common sinks & toilet? One of the fun things in a train is to walk thru the jostling car to the WC with your towel and toothbrush. Now you don't have to leave your "secure" closet. Yes, a closet, not a compartment. The latter has space, windows to the aisle, and fellow travelers entering and exiting. It is not sterile and secure.

Climate control - Amtrak has sealed all the windows shut, necessitating expensive, noisy, and space-taking air conditioning units. Nor can you talk to the people who are saying goodbye to you. The reason given for locked windows is "security", but think about it. What exactly are they afraid of? Why has America become afraid of its own shadow?

Is it too much to ask of Amtrak to take more of an interest in the cleanliness of their trains, especially the bathrooms? My sister who has a medical condition was on an early train today from NY Penn to Albany and needs to be near a bathroom. When she told me of the filthy and smelly conditions including the fact that toilet did not flush, I was appalled. This is disgusting!!! Customers pay good money and this is the service, the bathrooms are cleaner at Penn Station. Management needs to go inside the bathrooms. Take pride in your trains and bathrooms Amtrak and clean them for your customers.

Due to a medical condition I was forced to take the train to Chicago. It is the last time I will ever take the train anywhere. We were late arriving at both destinations. I almost missed a wake because of how late we were. Seems to me they travel these routes enough and still can't figure out when freight trains will be there? I should not only get my money back, my family should get an apology for having to wait for me before burying my loved one. I paid $122 for this? Thanks Amtrak. You. Are. Awful.

My husband was returning to the Tacoma, WA from Portland, OR at 10 pm on Thursday 1/26/17. The train stopped to let passengers off, his car door never opened in business class. Train then proceeded to start down the tracks on the way to another station, my husband then found a conductor in another car to ask why they didn't open his car door. So the train stopped & let him out right there on the tracks for him to walk back to the Tacoma station on the tracks in the DARK! REALLY, isn't That DANGEROUS! They did eventually send a person from Tacoma station to pick him up, but he walked on the DARK TRAIN TRACKS for while. If this is not site to complain or let someone know about this dangerous situation, can you please tell me who else to let know. Thank you!

This was my first time taking the train somewhere, and I traveled alone. I had no idea where to go exactly, and everyone from Fresno to Santa Ana was so incredibly nice and helpful! It was definitely a great experience and I will be traveling this way again.

In January 2017 I purchased tickets to travel from Seattle to Olympia with my son on the 605pm train. We were cutting it very close to getting to the train station on time as we did not realize it would take us 1 hour 15 minutes to travel 7 miles. I arrived at the train station at 555pm ran in and bought my tickets. When I came out from buying my tickets the conductor was calling for the final boarding of the train. As I started running up to the podium the conductor started walking off towards the door. As I approached him I apologized for cutting it so close and his response to me was "next time you need to leave an hour before you originally left, and if I wasn't such a nice guy I wouldn't be letting you on MY train".

Again I apologized and proceeded to walk down the platform towards the train (with my bag in one hand and my 4 year old son in the other) when the conductor yelled "you're in cart 3" I said "ok" but was facing the other direction. Then the conductor started yelling "ma'am, ma'am you're in cart 3" and before I could turn around and acknowledge him he yelled again "MA'AM (very rudely) WHAT CART NUMBER ARE YOU IN?". By that time I had already turned around and said "Cart 3, there's no reason to be so rude I'm not an idiot". He then said "I'm not being rude, you want me to be rude, you know what you're not getting on my train" and walked past me towards the train and again said I was not getting on. I know I cut it close getting there but there really was no reason for him to be so completely rude. I never received a refund from my tickets either. I will for sure never travel on Amtrak again.

I thought the train would be the quickest way to travel. No traffic to contend with. A straight shot, right? WRONG!!! Amtrak is a joke! It's very rarely on time to the point of being totally ridiculous. There's always a delay 30 to 40 minutes sometimes even an hour! Disgusting restrooms and I was told that in order for my 1 year granddaughter to have her own seat my daughter had to purchase her a ticket. Seriously!

I was really surprised to see such a low rating for Amtrak. I just made a trip from Tacoma to Portland and back with my sister. It was the first time we'd been on a train in about 20 years. Compared to flying it was absolute luxury. We took the Coast Starlight train # 14. Got tickets online. At the station after a 5 minute wait we were able to hop right on the train. It was a pain dragging my wheeled carry-on bag up the steep, narrow steps... I got smart and checked it on the trip back. Another easy, no wait process. The train was clean. The seats were wide and comfy, they reclined a lot, there were foot and leg rests and so much leg room we shorties could barely reach the footrests. Food was good in the dining room. The views were spectacular.

Going home the train was delayed by two hours due to heavy snow and a rockslide. The delay was a disappointment, but you can't blame Amtrak for the weather, which was so bad other modes of transport cancelled the trip. Best of all, every single employee we encountered was pleasant and polite. Several of them were real standouts: Pete, the conductor, went out of his way to keep us informed. He was incredibly nice and friendly. Server in the dining car, (Sabrina?) was also especially attentive. The man in the cafe car was not only friendly and cheerful, he sang beautifully - it's been a long time since I was last serenaded!

In a week I'm flying first class to San Diego... It's a safe bet the experience will not be a pleasant one - just getting through the airports is generally a nightmare, and now we can add the fear of some nutjob with a gun showing up. We were so pleased with our total experience on the train we are now we are checking into a cross-country trip to New Orleans.

On Jan. 8, 2017, my wife was scheduled to travel from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. Some snow in the Virginia/North Carolina stretch delayed the Silver Meteor for more than four hours. The snow accumulation was reported to be about 4 inches. That's hardly enough to slow/stop a massive vehicle that runs on tracks more than 4 inches above ground. To top that off, the train Sat at the Jacksonville Station for an additional 2:20 for unknown reasons. There is NO snow in FL, and no explanation for the delay has been provided.

In most developed countries where snow is common (think Canada, Russia, Scandinavia, and the Alpine region in Europe) trains manage to keep to their schedules within reasonable limits during winter snows. Years ago, I traveled frequently by train in the NE corridor (Boston, New Haven, New York). I can only remember one instance with substantial delays--a significant, ongoing snow dump (18-24 inches) in January '66 resulted in a 3-4 hour delay between Philly and New York on the PRR/NYC. Why on earth can't AMTRAK get one of its premiere trains through 4 inches of snow in 2017?

Amtrak Stamford to Alexandria round trip. Very easy to list the reasons that AMTRAK is a 3rd world RR. (1) Cars are dirty, especially toilets. (2) P.A. speakers were broken, no station announcements were heard and no conductors came through to announce station stops. (3) Conductors ignore questions when passing. (4) Question to conductor about where to exit: Answer: "Don't know, ask the guys in Washington". I needed help with heavy suitcase in Alexandria, the platform isn't elevated and the conductor was reluctant to help me. He finally came down and lifted it aboard.

Summary: What is the reason for such poor service? Is it the Union? Is it the Mgt? Is it US Congress trying to defund public transportation? No, probably it's just that we Americans can't manage anything properly that has Fed. funds and Mgt. behind it. The sad part is that Americans will put up with it because most haven't ridden a train in E or J and have no idea how far behind the US is in public Transportation. It won't improve under Trump, he has never ridden a train in his life.

I bought tickets from Crawfordsville, IN to Chicago, IL to buy Christmas presents. I had been looking forward to taking the train up to go shopping on the Magnificent Mile. Well, I get to the station and learn that the train would have an 1.5 hr delay. Then I check Amtrak's status off my smartphone and learn that the train will be delayed by another half hour. Then I check my smartphone and learn that the train will be delayed by another half hour. At this point, I'm sitting in my truck in the train station parking lot and am frustrated. I decide to go call up Amtrak customer service. After sitting there being on hold for 32 mins to try and get a refund back the train arrives.

I decide WTF if it's arrived I might as well go up. The train then stopped for another 20 mins outside Cedar Lake because the train workers thought they hit something. It is now 12:20 Central Time and I just got to the Dyer station. That is about an hour and twenty minutes late from the time we were SUPPOSED to have ARRIVED at Chicago. The conductor tells us to expect delays since the freight railroads get priority from Dyer to Union Station. Well now why in the hell did I even come up here? I'll have less than half the time I wanted to have in Chicago today. I'm never taking the Cardinal again and you shouldn't either.

Worst service I have seen, especially the guy named Kurt at "Customer Relations." I doubt Amtrak offers folks any service-related training. If they did, Kurt would have hopefully learned not to act like a douchebag. So long Amtrak!

Why is this company still in business? Who else can quote a round trip price and give you only the one-way fare listing. Airlines don't! When you check the icon stating round trip you should then be quoted a round trip price. Amtrak gives you the option for one way and round trip. Does someone at Amtrak need to get hooked on Phonics? Learn English Amtrak! Let me help you. The definition of one way; Traveling one direction. The definition of round trip; Traveling one direction, then returning back the other direction back to the original location. Wow! really! Tough one! OK, so if you quote someone a price for a round trip ticket, and actually it was only a one-way quote (but you didn't choose the one-way option, you selected the round trip option) what is that defined as; FRAUD! BAIT AND SWITCH! BAD BUSINESS! Yes Amtrak you are correct all of the above. Well off to see how many sites I can complain about you to.

My husband and I were traveling from Wilmington, DE to NYC today. With the over $200 price tag, we expected to have a seat. This was the main reason we spent the extra money instead of traveling the much less expensive SEPTA ($60). Even though we would have liked to have Sat close together, I can understand that. What I cannot understand is the fact that Amtrak overbooked so now one of us had to stand the entire trip! This is the same service I expect from SEPTA. We were assured that Amtrak does not overbook their seats. This is obviously not true! We might as well have traveled SEPTA. We would have had the same probability of getting to sit! We both better have a seat on our return trip tonight!

I would like to share my Amtrak experience: I have traveled by rail in over 10 countries. I have ridden Amtrak many times from coast to coast and from the Great Lakes down to the Gulf. It has always been an acceptable experience. Neither bad nor particularly great but I was satisfied. It did the job. The train staff have always been very helpful. Recently, on a multi-city journey I decided to try the business class upgrade. On the first leg of my journey between Indianapolis and Chicago, the business class was an absolutely exceptional experience. It was AWESOME. Private business class car (with its own lavatory and dining facilities), food and drink service, friendly staff, I could go on and on about it. I even filled out a glowing survey about it.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much I immediately paid for the upgrade on the next leg of my journey from Chicago and was reassured at the Amtrak desk that it included the same amenities. This is where it all went downhill. Aside from the inconvenient scheduling (whatever, transport doesn't operate on any one individual's convenience) the same level service simply was not there. Gone was the private car, instead half of it was the public cafe/observation car. Gone was the white table cloth service. Gone was the included food and drink service. Gone was the business class restroom.

Pretty much everything that made the first leg of my journey enjoyable was gone. The only difference between coach and business class was a seat that was exactly the same save for material and an extra inch or two in width. It didn't even recline more than the coach seats and really was not any more comfortable. I didn't even get the unlimited coffee as the cafe car closes on overnight trips. Needless to say I was sorely disappointed. That is not even the worst part.

In the course of trying to resolve my disappointment, possibly getting a refund and going back to coach I learn that I was charged an extra 50$ on top of the 36$ upgrade fee. It turns out that when you book a ticket, you pay a "Rail Fare" and then the upgrade to business class is a separate fee. Even though I had booked my tickets weeks in advance and was upgrading out of coach the "Rail Fare" had changed and as such they decided to charge me 84$ without mentioning that the business class upgrade was actually only 36$. It also turns out that the line between Indianapolis and Chicago is not actually owned or operated by Amtrak but only staffed by Amtrak personnel which explains the drastic difference in quality of service and experience.

To add insult to injury when I called Customer Relations the next day as instructed to try and peaceably resolve this I was offered a 25$ voucher. Not even enough to cover the sub-par and disappointing business class upgrade. So in closing I would like to thank Amtrak for reminding me why rail travel is the worst way to travel within the US and why it is by far the worst rail service in the developed world. Next time I would rather work an extra week at my underpaid mediocre 10$/hour job, deal with the extra hassle and just fly rather than get ripped off by your company again. Thank you for charging me more than double the usual upgrade fee for sorriest experience I've ever had on a train. Despite my love of rail travel, I feel let down.

Bought advanced tickets for my son to travel back and forth to college. Reservation that's dated today was told not valid and that he traveled using it already. Son never took the train the day Amtrak stated because I did not buy a ticket for that day. Was told by the customer service rep that he was a no show for that date... WTF? He never rode the train. Anyhoo, so mad... had to buy another ticket and may not get my money back. No supervisors or managers on duty. Had a bad experience prior to this one, but I thought I would give them another chance. NEVER AGAIN AMTRAK. YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!!!

You are going to be so burned by me all over Google. My Reservation is **. Your agent told me that he was giving me 4 days of trolley shuttle service. In fact you only sent 48 hours of service. The trolley does not run on thanksgiving at all, which he did notice! And my vacation in over thanksgiving. But he sold me a package for only 48 hours! When I paid for the 4 day trolley service. I was on the phone with 3 of your agents. They all denied me any help, saying that they would not honor what your agent said he sold me!! I looked up the price difference for the 48 hours and the 72 hours. It is $3!~!~!!! You ** will not honor what you sold me for $3 extra dollars. Good business sense Amtrak.

I am going to warn EVERYONE to stay away from Amtrak Vacations. That their agents lie, that you don't get what you paid for. That Amtrak tells you to go jump in a lake when you call and tell them the mistake that they made. That they could not care less about their customers (their chumps?) even when it would cost only $3 for them to make things right and give a customer the package that they paid for. Let me be clear, the agents that I spoke to today didn't even care what the first agent had told me that I was getting! So have a great time with your business; you guys are fools. It is going to be all over social media how you treat people why foolishly give you money.

I was coming into Chicago for a concert and there was no way for me to return that night so I opted in to taking an Amtrak train the next morning so I would be able to get back in time for my morning class. I thought that I booked the trip for Friday November 11th but instead the trip was booked for Thursday November 10th and I was charged $15 instead of the $12 that I was supposed to be charged with a student discount. I called the company to explain that I had no idea that this happened and could I please get a refund considering I was not even in Chicago at that time.

The operator had an attitude because I was upset but instead of trying to figure a way to solve the issue and calm me down for my lost in money he just continued to treat me as if I had no intelligence. This is the worst customer services I have ever received. And the ticket for the new trip was $22 because a student discount did not apply. Honestly I am so tired of Amtrak.

The wife and I decided to try Amtrak for our trip to Sema in Las Vegas because it seemed like a great way to see the country and get some sleep on the trip. What we thought would be one of the best parts of this trips turned out to be a nightmare. First thing noticed, the lock on our door was broken, so every time the train hit the brakes, the door would open exposing us to anyone in the hall. We eventually just had to use the curtain by itself which gives a little privacy. The food is pretty terrible. The same microwaved choices at all meal times. Meals are included with a sleeper car purchase, but so awful they drive you to the "cafe car" to buy something edible. The ride on our trip (Syracuse to Chicago to Kingman) was like being stuck in a 48 hour straight earthquake of about 5.5.

The absolute worst part of the trip was the return from Kingman to Chicago. Our room (and everyone else's room as well) was flooded with sewer gas smell EVERY 10 minutes. Made you want to puke. Everyone complained, complaints were ignored and the problem not fixed. Complained at union station as well where it fell on deaf ears "we will look into it". He did nothing but continue checking people in. The ONLY positive experience was the onboard staff on the southwest chief. Super friendly and helpful people. In a nutshell, this train travel trip was THE worst travel experience of our lives. I just hope that others read this review and save their $3000! Dollars for first class airfare or other.

My husband and I took an Amtrak vacation that started in Emeryville and stopped in LA, New Orleans, and finally ending in Chicago - then we took the train from Chicago back to Emeryville. The entire trip was a NIGHTMARE! The first train was approximately 8 hrs late so we had to take a BUS all the way from Emeryville to LA! I'm disabled so we took this vacation because we thought we'd have our sleeper available so I could lie down when I wasn't feeling well. No, we were on a bus! The service on each train was atrocious but the food was even worse. The food was the same everyday (seriously) 3 subpar options for each meal - premade; no cook. It was horrible food, horrible options it was literally the same on each train (uggghhh).

On top of that the staff was rude and unbearable (except for Derek on the LA to New Orleans train; he was fantastic - top notch). Everyone else right down to the snack cart was horrible. (For example, Milton in the dining room was atrocious; rude, visibly angry and it was so apparent he hated his job). The rooms were sooo small; just try to take a shower in there unless you're 95 lbs plus your toilet paper will get soaked every time you shower due to inadequate covers! My husband and I are fit - not overweight at all and the showers were very uncomfortable.

Finally we were delayed 5 hours on the way home, just sitting on the tracks... We spent $4,500 for this trip and all of the beautiful landmarks advertised were passed during the night! We will never take Amtrak again. When I called Amtrak to complain, all they offered was a non-transferrable voucher of $1,000. I told Amtrak to ** off. We could've gone to Hawaii and not spent our time with the usual bus riding crowd and insufficient food, accommodations, service, and timing of train sightseeing. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. AMTRAK SUCKS FROM THE TRIP THROUGH SINCERE COMPLAINT ASSISTANCE. WE WON'T BE TAKING AMTRAK AGAIN!

I was trying to take the bus back to Chicago and I was in Madison. I was scheduled to ride the bus at 2:20 am and the driver wouldn't let me on. I had to wait for the next one, which was 4 am and I had to pay again. It was a middle eastern driver who wouldn't let me on. I should have called the company at the spot.

On October 18, 2018, my husband and son waited to board my Mother-in-Law on train #59 at 8:54 P.M. at the Homewood, Illinois, train station, en route to Jackson, Mississippi. When the train stopped the conductor got off and they proceeded to assist my 75 year old Mother-in-Law with her luggage and boarding the train. Before doing so, my husband asked the conductor if he was going to help with the luggage or should he help get her luggage on the train.

The conductor told them that mom would have to handle her own luggage. Mom got on the train and my husband stepped in the doorway of the train to help mom push the handle of her suitcase down to allow her to handle her bag, but before he could step out of the doorway, the conductor very rudely screamed at him to get off, get off now and physically put his chest up against my husband's chest saying "Boy, get off the train NOW."

My husband told the conductor to back up and away from him and allow him to step out of the doorway, but the conductor continued to press his chest up against my husband calling him a "BOY". My mother yelled at the conductor about calling anyone a "BOY". The conductor yelled to my mother, "you'd better go sit down before I put you off this train, lady." It took a lot for my husband to restrain himself to prevent a physical confrontation. There was another lady standing there boarding someone also, who yelled at the conductor and witnessed his rude unprofessional behavior. She has the same complaint about this conductor. Everyone wanted his name; yet he claims his name is Cal **. I don't know if that's his true identify or not, but something needs to be done about this conductor. He is rude, prejudice and shows very unprofessional behavior to the people riding Amtrak.

I will be writing to your corporate office and demand that he be terminated. I will not stop until Cal ** or whoever he truly is gets terminated. He has absolutely no reason to work within an environment dealing with the public. He showed that he is prejudice calling anyone any type of name, specifically a "BOY". He showed his rude and unprofessional behavior more than once. Something has to be done about this conductor. I hope to learn his true identity to be able to give the accurate information to the corporate office to start his termination process. And please know that NO ONE in my family will EVER ride Amtrak again. NEVER EVER EVER!. We had never experienced this kind of behavior and have ridden Amtrak for years. I am discouraging everyone that I know to not take Amtrak EVER again. We are done with Amtrak due to conductor Cal **.

My wife and I decided to take the Amtrak Empire Builder Train to Milwaukee from Saint Paul, MN, and what a mistake that was. I booked the train at approx. 7:00 p.m. on Saturday evening for an 8:00 a.m. departure and thought all was well. We made our plans for Milwaukee, had reservations with family, etc. and were looking forward to our first nice, relaxing trip on the train, enjoy the fall colors from the upper car, etc.

At 7:00 a.m. I received a text message that our train was delayed, by 6 hours and 59 minutes! Being that we were already on our way to the station I thought that I would just sort it out there. Upon arriving I was told that not only was the train really delayed by 7 hours but Amtrak had been aware of this delay for over 24 hours. In other words they knew of the delay prior to letting me book the trip and failed to mention it, nice! Then I'm told they are going to put me on a bus to Milwaukee (without a discount of course) to which I refused. After that they tell me there will be a 20% fee to cancel which I also wasn't going to accept. After 20 minutes or so at the station I finally left with my full refund and no trip to Milwaukee.

I then decided to call Amtrak to find out why they would sell me tickets for an 8:00 a.m. trip when they were already well aware that they had a 7 hour delay. The female agent who answered the phone was about the rudest customer service rep I have ever encountered. I'm still amazed by this agent and ended up talking to the manager afterwards. The manager was actually pretty decent about everything and gave me a corporate number to call for Customer Relations.

I was warned by a co-worker about taking Amtrak and ignored his advice so I'm here trying to give advice to others. If you hear horror stories about Amtrak believe them. I will never consider another trip on Amtrak and they have lost more customers with us. And to think we were talking about doing a cross-country trip with Amtrak if this short trip went well. Thank God we found out now prior to embarking on a trip from MN - Seattle!

Amtrak Company Profile