2.01/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Amtrak

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 11, 2017

692 Amtrak Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Pros- train was on time, staff was very friendly and helpful, food was edible. Cons- seriously lacking security checks i.e.: baggage checks? No ID checked upon boarding. In today's world, I expect to see a ton of security on public transportation. This, while at times inconvenient, makes me feel safe. I did not feel safe on Amtrak. Add in the fact that at every stop more people get on and off made it extremely unnerving that security was so lax. No Wi-Fi - they made it sound like they have Wi-Fi on board the train - they don't. It runs off local Wi-Fi which is not consistent. Unable to watch movies or anything other than web browsing. This was very unfortunate since we were traveling with a small child who really wanted to use her new iPad during the trip and was unable to do so with the poor quality Wi-Fi on board.

The bathrooms were disgusting. (Not cleaned enough, smelled awful.) It didn't help that we were sitting close to the bathrooms and the smell emanated our car. Expensive to purchase food - expected. Constant horn blowing and too lit at night made it impossible to sleep. We were lucky enough to sit In front of a woman who appeared to have severe mental health issues. (I am mental health professional and do not condone this woman for her issues.) This woman was caught smoking in the bathroom was allowed to stay on the train. In addition, she made multiple phone calls in which she cursed loudly and was making threats. While I do not believe her behavior is Amtrak’s fault, I do believe that this woman should have been removed from the train for her behavior. Anywhere else, she would have been.

When booking the agent told me that the chairs "recline". Perhaps a better description would be that they "tilt" back. They do not recline and are really not sufficient to sleep in as was described to me. While I respect our railway system and the people who enjoy it I was not one of them. I did not sleep and I was miserable the entire time. So much so in fact that upon arriving to our destination I arranged for a car rental to drive home and canceled my return train ticket!!! I wish my experience had been better because I hate flying but I will not be riding the train over long distances again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My aunt is a senior and disable and has a small lapdog that is her assistant dog. She has been trying to visit in Southern California to see her daughters. As I checked website for Amtrak it says ANIMALS allowed. As I call to place reservation, operator tells me NO DOGS ALLOWED. I repeat what website says and she says, "YOU MISUNDERSTOOD, IT'S DEPENDS ON THE ROUTE."

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I would like to start by stating that I have always been supportive of our rail system which is highly underutilized. It took some doing to convince my husband to try this mode of transportation. One of the positive points was your pet friendly blurb on your website. When I went to book our reservation I found that my service dog did not qualify as a pet friendly guest on our trip. I have high anxiety and OCD which she helps to control. This information with a doctor's recommendation fell on deaf ears. I was told to try and bring her but I would risk being told at some time during the journey I would need to remove her and ship her home or just board her at that location. Neither was a choice I wanted to take a chance with. Since it was necessary to make this trip I made arrangements and relied on FaceTime to control the issues I have.

Now, let's talk about seating. I understand when you buy a ticket with no assigned seating and there are two of us we will have a seat together. Part of what makes train travel a choice is the cost. Having a sleeping car is a little cost prohibitive for us. Since there were multiple empty seats available we chose to sleep in separate seats so we could both have a better night's sleep. When more passengers were boarded I was asked to return to my seat. Totally understandable. What was hard to understand is that whenever this happened, anyone in a single seat was not disturbed even when it was a single needing a seat. What this tells me is next time I will book us as two single instead of together so we will be assured of having our own seat. I saw this throughout the train cars I walked through. I am sure you have your methods, but it is not just me who had this issue.

Now, the food. The cost was acceptable for what I anticipated. The quality was not. Anything we bought microwaved could have had just a little more time to actually cook it throughout. In the dining room, French toast is not rocket science. You are not feeding so many people at one time that you cannot make it right. It was obviously cooked ahead of time and then warmed up. If you are just heating up precooked food then advertise as such. Do not make it sound like a freshly prepared meal.

I know you are not making any money on food service but that might change if the food improved. I would like to suggest less exotic selections and go with what can be prepared fresh. Maybe a smaller menu would give you that opportunity. I realize sleeper cars have the meals included in the cost. This would not entice me to get a sleeper car either. I would just feel like I had to eat a meal I found unsatisfying. I will continue to support the rail system with some adjustments on my part. Hopefully with enough recommendations from the public, we will see positive changes in the future. Thank you for listening.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I like traveling by train, but sleeping is always a huge challenge. Currently, the fare is hardly less than airfare, so the time difference and discomfort aren't worth it. I wish Amtrak had a budget sleeper compartment category that did not include meals and was somewhat more affordable. Also, bathroom cleanliness was definitely an issue during our trip last summer. We traveled from Denver, CO through Chicago, and on to Albany, NY.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

We been taking Amtrak back and forth from New York to Boston and from Boston to New York for fours now. My family enjoys the ride for the most part. The only negative thing about Amtrak service is that they have too many delays. I also feel that they are expensive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amtrak?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Staff were always polite and helpful. Appreciate that they stayed on schedule. If you were five minutes late back to the train, you were too late! Seats were roomy and comfortable. I was able to sleep comfortably on my three day trip. Only complaint, they need to upgrade their food card. Highly recommend to pack your own snacks or eat at places along the route!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

We traveled to Colorado from Iowa on Amtrak and back! The only thing that could've made this better if Amtrak could provide a sleeping car to all. It's affordable and you really get to experience the country in a cool way!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

My first ride on Amtrak train was a great experience for me. I kinda felt uncomfortable at first but after leaving the station I quickly came unround and had no regrets after the first few miles. Was very comfortable and friendly hosted. All together I've ridden the train 5 times and is planning on taking my grandkids for a ride on one.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Booking the trip to the fair and adding a vehicle rental to the purchase was convenient, but when I got to the fair, I did not realize it was actually inside the grounds, which force me to pay an admission fee. So I am lugging my suitcase and baggage across the entire fair to get outside. Since I was informed that Enterprise would come bring me to their rental office, I called them. Enterprise told me they will not come to the fair to pick me and bring me to their rental office. So I decided to Uber myself to the hotel to drop off my luggage first and deal with the car rental situation later.

When I got to the hotel, I called Amtrak and explain that is inconvenient for me drag luggage through the fair again and having to pay for admission when I return to NYC and asked if I could change my boarding from the fair grounds to the actual Syracuse station (which is only five minutes away and closer to NYC). The operator who answers the phone wanted to charge me an extra $40 for this service.

As for the conductor and the train ride, upstate was pleasant and the staff was very friendly. Unfortunately, the ride back to NYC was not the same, my 6-year old and the family across from me with 2 young children were subjected to someone smoking ** on the train and there was no staff member or police office to address it. Because of this, it raises a concern for everyone's safety if a passenger becomes aggressive to do more than just smoke ** on the train.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Amtrak does not concern itself with expanding service to parts of the country which do not now have good service. They rely too heavily on those parts of the country supported by members of Congress who are responsible for funding.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I often use Amtrak services for work; I have had some good experiences, however the one negative experience continues to color my dealings with Amtrak.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I had an accident while visiting New York City and broke a bone in my knee. I had traveled to NYC by Amtrak. Needless to say I now was handicapped and needed to return to Richmond. Amtrak staff were extremely accommodating in assisting me. This includes the staff in NYC and in Richmond, Virginia.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I bought a ticket for disabled Rider. Pay the extra fare. There was Luggage in the area that said "Assign no Luggage in this area". Told the conductor and he said "Handle it. You don't look disabled to me." What is disable look like? How to sit like that with my feet between luggage from Washington DC to New York? Came back from New York. How to get shots in my back to feel better? Still sore from the conductor. Was unprofessional and very nasty and made fun of me.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

This is my favorite mode of transportation. I've used it on short distance as well as long distance. Long distance travel take a book or backgammon set for a quick game. Go to the dining car and share a table for a good meal. I love Amtrak.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

On Aug. 31, 2017, I checked my 2 suitcases in Seattle. I was aboard Amtrak #11 when someone called me, "You've got to pick up your luggage!! It came on the bus." I told her I was still on #11 and hadn't yet arrived in Los Angeles. When our train arrived in L.A., we were 1 hr, 40 min late. My transfer train #2 was held back for us. I told the porter about my checked luggage. He made a phone call and found that the suitcases were "downstairs." The porter said, "Get on aboard. We'll get your luggage to you."

Today, I received an email from Los Angeles. They said I could pick up my two suitcases in El Paso, which is 101.9 miles from my home town. So tomorrow, I have to take a round trip train ride (on my nickel) to El Paso to retrieve my luggage. I would describe this series as "idiocy" on the part of Amtrak baggage services. (1) They put my luggage, without my knowledge, on a bus instead of on my train where I expected it to be. (2) They won't return my luggage to my home town, which has a train line running right through it.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Last Aug. 10th, 2017. My husband bought a ticket for bedroom. Because we took our 2 grandsons for a trip thru Amtrak train experience from Emeryville, CA. to Portland. We took a night trip. On the way we were stuck in Davis, CA. for 4 hours without announcing to the passengers why we are stucked in Davis. So in the morning we realized that we will arrive Portland, Oregon 4 hours late. Anyway, we just conditioned ourselves that it will be late. When we arrived almost in Union Station in Portland, Oregon. We again stucked for 5 hours and again without informing all passengers what is going on. Our 2 grandson are getting irritable & grumpy. So what I did is, I called 911 non emergency & told them that this Amtrak train is stucked for 4 hours again. And I am getting nervous on top of being annoyed & stressed out.

After I called 911, we saw our cabin attendant & asked what's going on. And he said that the bridge is broken. And we are really getting pissed out. So we asked if they can let us leave since we are close to our rented cottage in Portland. And he said they can't let passengers out for liability. So we just waited for a while & finally the train conductor announced that we will re route & has to cross Vancouver, Washington & go back to Portland.

This whole experience with Amtrak is so horrifying. Our previous experience with this Amtrak is already worst & it got to be more worst. The staff are rude & not helpful. It's just a waste of money using this Amtrak train. We're thinking why & why can't they provide a good service. Passengers pay whatever their ticket price.

It is sad that we don't have good train service. Our country is so beautiful & worth sight seeing while on a train trip. We're hoping this Amtrak train will improve. Do a regular in service training to all their staff how to treat the passengers with respect & be more assistive & informative.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I have personally taken a liking to, riding on the Amtrak. I like that I can travel anywhere in the U.S. and take my personal means of transportation. There is also snack, restroom, nice sightseeing during the day, and areas where I can charge and use my laptop.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Our family of five, including one two year old child, went to see the eclipse in Columbia, South Carolina on Saturday, August 19, 2017 leaving from Alexandria, Virginia at about 10:30 AM. We return on Tuesday, August 22 from Florence, South Carolina at about 10:30 AM. The train was very crowded both going and returning. On the way down, one of your conductors, Mr. **, worked hard to find us five seats that were close to each other. He was very successful in this effort and handled himself in a most professional manner. On the return trip another conductor, Ms. **, also helped us in finding seats near each other. She too was very pleasant and helpful. Our family appreciates the efforts of Mr. ** and Ms. ** toward making our journey a most pleasant one.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

October 2016, 4 of us bought 300.00 plus tickets, for the Snow Train for February 2017. Due to the weather, the trip was cancelled. We have been promised a refund and to date we have not. We are being ignored and just being put off. They are already advertising for the Train trip for next season!!! Come on! 300.00 isn't chump change! Some us looked forward and made an effort for this trip that never happened and could now use the refund!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I took Amtrak Coast Starlight from San Jose to Portland and purchased a sleeper and then from Portland to Minneapolis on the Empire where I got a bedroom. I will NEVER again ride this filthy train!! The windows were caked with dirt so the pleasure of seeing the countryside was through a brown film. On the coast starlight we were told to get off in Klamath Falls because of??? No explanation!!! And they put 11 of us on a bus for a 7 hour ride to Pasco, WA, bypassing Portland to pick-up the empire to Minneapolis. In Pasco we had to wait another 3 hours in a deserted station for the train.

The bus ride was torture. No water, no way to charge a device, nothing. Oh they did stop at a roadside stop so we could buy food? We also had to 'kill' an hour according to the bus driver so he stopped at a trucker restaurant. In Pasco someone, without announcing it, brought in KFC. Yuck! I bought a bedroom because it was a special trip with my son. No water in the room, no help with the baggage... nothing. We made the best of it and thank god we were in the last car. I feel for the people in coach, it looked like hell. I love train travel but in the US it is so below par of what it should or can be. Shame on Amtrak.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Spent 2 1/2 months being referred from one "authority" to another, waiting for contact, promises of resolution, failed call-backs, talking to various Amtrak Agents, hiring a private travel agent. Request: PWD bedroom accommodations for 2/Coast Starlight & Empire Builder. Request: baggage transport for 2 medically documented lightweight mobility scooters. Amtrak would not issue tickets. Result - no trip.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My experience with this train ride was completely dissatisfying. The train was an hour late the day I left my destination from Hattiesburg to Atlanta and it was also delayed two hours the day I felt to come back home. The workers on this train are very rude and do not seem to care about the customers. I wish there was another train company otherwise I would not come back to this one. I would not recommend anyone to this train company for they have very poor customer service. If you do not like your job please go find something else to do.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Being a former train conductor, both freight and passenger service, and a Vietnam Army veteran, I had booked an accessible bedroom on Amtrak’s top train, from Chicago to Denver. My wife and I walked 3 cars to the diner for our 6:45 dinner. I told the attendant I had fractured my clavicle 2 days before and I was black and blue all over my body, if he could sit me alone in one of the booths. He said all seats will be filled regardless of my condition and sat a woman next to me. I lifted my collar to show him how bad I was hurt, to no avail. I couldn't believe his strict table filling job was more important than my painful injury. I will file suit at my local courthouse under the ADA act which prohibits policies or rules come before passenger’s right. I will file and I will win.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Left in Hammond Indiana for over 2 hours. After midnight. My train was over 2 hours late which made me miss the last train back home. I am now left to sit till 630 in Chicago (with over 30 shootings a night). Told it's not their problem. They are not responsible to find my way home. I didn't even get a notice the train was late.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Ridiculous. Though I have yet to ride on the train, my dealings with customer services has been awful. The tickets were for 07/29 and today is 07/22. Recently bought tickets to go to New York to see a show. The lead singer of the show (Chester Bennington) killed himself and the show was cancelled. The process that followed was one of the worst customer experiences of my life. After waiting on hold for 20 minutes I was hung up on. I called back and waited again for 40 minutes where I was told I could only get a voucher (which expires in a year). The customer survey at the end of the call never came up as an option. The lack of care shown by the Amtrak customer services was deplorable. If it were reasonable for me to never travel with them again I would.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I purchased a round trip disability ticket online for myself and a companion, when we boarded the train I assumed I would be given a handicapped seat. Wrong I was told I had to call Amtrak and change my ticket. When I called they put me on hold for several minutes, and I explained that I needed handicapped seating, and it was going to cost me more money. I explained that I thought purchasing a handicapped discount ticket would allow me to be able to use handicapped seating. I asked for a supervisor and was told I can't talk to a supervisor, then they put me on hold. 10 minutes later they changed my ticket to handicapped seating for free. When I got home I called amtrak to complain and told them I will never use amtrak again. The stations are still not 100% ADA compliant, and its discrimination to charge me more for a handicapped seat.

Original review: July 19, 2017

My husband and I and our two kids traveled on Amtrak. When we boarded, we were directed to the dining car because all other cars were full. However, when we arrived at the dining car, we discovered that the air condition was not functional. Unable to go anywhere else, our family had to ride in an incredibly hot car that felt like a sauna for approximately 6 hours. It was one of the worst experiences of our life. We will never travel by train again. I wouldn't advise anyone else to either.

Original review: July 18, 2017

We went up to Chicago on Friday, July 14, from Bloomington-Normal. Staff complaining loudly about the route being overbooked. They didn't speak with customers, just each other. When customers were addressed on the platform, it was really just yelling for people to go to certain areas. Zero friendly smiles and greetings. The trip was uneventful and we had a fun vacation. We were set to leave today, Monday, July 17 and, due to traffic snarls, we arrived as the train was leaving. A very nice employee told my fiancè that this happens often and that all we needed to do was go let customer service know and that we would be put on the next train. Imagine our relief!

Upon arriving to customer service, I was ignored by who I was to find out later was the manager and a young ** clerk who was, I believe, on his cell phone. I stood there for several minutes before the younger man asked me what I needed. I barely had a complete sentence out of my mouth when he cut me off and said there was nothing he could do, that e-tickets were never refunded, that he wouldn't argue with me and that was all. Eyes back down to another task, letting me clearly know that I was dismissed. I said something along the lines of, "Are you kidding me? Your job as a customer service representative is to help me solve this problem..." He challenged me to speak with his supervisor "who would tell me the same thing he had" and I said "please, there is always something that can be done."

He then said "he just walked out there" meaning the masses of Union Station and told me to go get him, pointing to all the people walking and continued to say in an exasperated voice, "he was right there; I showed you 3 times. He gone now," and proceeded to dismiss me again by turning his back on me. I said "I need your manager now; please page him." Young employee said he "didn't have no pager" and turned around again. At this point, I am just stunned and getting angry and incredulous that Amtrak doesn't allow overhead paging? Before telling me to leave the office, he got on the phone and was suddenly able to phone the manager that was unreachable. He told me to leave or he would "call the police on me" when I pretty much demanded a manager.

I also told him that I couldn't believe how he was treating me, that I am a manager at Walgreens and that if we treated customers like this, we would face oral and possibly final written discipline. He all of the sudden told me to sit down because the police "were on their way to remove me." The police determined that there was no reason for me to leave before speaking with a manager. The manager arrived and my fiancè took over because I started crying. My fiance was told that they would refund our tickets, which I said was absolutely unnecessary, and put us on the next train and then the manager looked at me, full of anger, and said now I needed to get out.

Finally on the train. Exhausted, I fell asleep. My fiance said he woke me but the next thing I know, an ** man in a dark blue Amtrak uniform is standing over me screaming at me about how I had kept AN ENTIRE CAR WAITING. I said I was sorry, that I didn't mean to fall back to sleep. The aisles were packed, I had overhead luggage and had decided to just wait, that I certainly hadn't intended to cause any trouble. This man followed me from the second level all the way down to the platform, scolding and belittling me. He demanded that I answer his question that he kept repeating: "What? What? You think I'd be wrong to have just let your irresponsible self ride through to Lincoln, IL, don't ya?!" I turned around and said, "don't speak to me like this!" He laughed, said something about how "he better not see me on his train again" and slammed the train car door.

We chose the train because we had heard of the comfort, ease and the price was a significant amount less than parking in a garage is. I never imagined this treatment. I'm still confused and hurt. I will never board another Amtrak again. I imagine you reading/skimming over this complaint and smiling to yourself, mumbling "good, don't want you," like I've heard CSR's say over and over at stores across the nation. I'm also pretty sure that you won't follow up with me; a standard trademark of corporations who couldn't care less because of one or SEVERAL reasons. When this behavior is tolerated, it sets the tone for not only our candidates and in some cases our older staff as well. I cannot express in words how truly disappointing this experience was. I certainly hope you follow through with the employees involved. If they had been my employees, anger and embarrassment would ruin my day.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Rude service from attendant in train car. Smell of train is unbearable. Food is freezer burnt from store so don't eat there and price of dinner or breakfast is 3 times what it should be with limited crappy menu of 2-3 items. Don't eat on train. I was on train 7 the Empire Builder July 16th, 2017. Horrible experience.

Original review: July 15, 2017

All my 4 trains on my trip were at least 30 mins late. Worst was my final train was 2 hours late. How is this possible that the timetables are so far off from what happened. I am very disappointed with service and lack of communication.

Amtrak Company Information