Amtrak

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps

Research top Transportation & Rideshare Apps recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I took Amtrak Coast Starlight from San Jose to Portland and purchased a sleeper and then from Portland to Minneapolis on the Empire where I got a bedroom. I will NEVER again ride this filthy train!! The windows were caked with dirt so the pleasure of seeing the countryside was through a brown film. On the coast starlight we were told to get off in Klamath Falls because of??? No explanation!!! And they put 11 of us on a bus for a 7 hour ride to Pasco, WA, bypassing Portland to pick-up the empire to Minneapolis. In Pasco we had to wait another 3 hours in a deserted station for the train.

The bus ride was torture. No water, no way to charge a device, nothing. Oh they did stop at a roadside stop so we could buy food? We also had to 'kill' an hour according to the bus driver so he stopped at a trucker restaurant. In Pasco someone, without announcing it, brought in KFC. Yuck! I bought a bedroom because it was a special trip with my son. No water in the room, no help with the baggage... nothing. We made the best of it and thank god we were in the last car. I feel for the people in coach, it looked like hell. I love train travel but in the US it is so below par of what it should or can be. Shame on Amtrak.

Spent 2 1/2 months being referred from one "authority" to another, waiting for contact, promises of resolution, failed call-backs, talking to various Amtrak Agents, hiring a private travel agent. Request: PWD bedroom accommodations for 2/Coast Starlight & Empire Builder. Request: baggage transport for 2 medically documented lightweight mobility scooters. Amtrak would not issue tickets. Result - no trip.

My experience with this train ride was completely dissatisfying. The train was an hour late the day I left my destination from Hattiesburg to Atlanta and it was also delayed two hours the day I felt to come back home. The workers on this train are very rude and do not seem to care about the customers. I wish there was another train company otherwise I would not come back to this one. I would not recommend anyone to this train company for they have very poor customer service. If you do not like your job please go find something else to do.

Being a former train conductor, both freight and passenger service, and a Vietnam Army veteran, I had booked an accessible bedroom on Amtrak’s top train, from Chicago to Denver. My wife and I walked 3 cars to the diner for our 6:45 dinner. I told the attendant I had fractured my clavicle 2 days before and I was black and blue all over my body, if he could sit me alone in one of the booths. He said all seats will be filled regardless of my condition and sat a woman next to me. I lifted my collar to show him how bad I was hurt, to no avail. I couldn't believe his strict table filling job was more important than my painful injury. I will file suit at my local courthouse under the ADA act which prohibits policies or rules come before passenger’s right. I will file and I will win.

Left in Hammond Indiana for over 2 hours. After midnight. My train was over 2 hours late which made me miss the last train back home. I am now left to sit till 630 in Chicago (with over 30 shootings a night). Told it's not their problem. They are not responsible to find my way home. I didn't even get a notice the train was late.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amtrak?

Ridiculous. Though I have yet to ride on the train, my dealings with customer services has been awful. The tickets were for 07/29 and today is 07/22. Recently bought tickets to go to New York to see a show. The lead singer of the show (Chester Bennington) killed himself and the show was cancelled. The process that followed was one of the worst customer experiences of my life. After waiting on hold for 20 minutes I was hung up on. I called back and waited again for 40 minutes where I was told I could only get a voucher (which expires in a year). The customer survey at the end of the call never came up as an option. The lack of care shown by the Amtrak customer services was deplorable. If it were reasonable for me to never travel with them again I would.

I purchased a round trip disability ticket online for myself and a companion, when we boarded the train I assumed I would be given a handicapped seat. Wrong I was told I had to call Amtrak and change my ticket. When I called they put me on hold for several minutes, and I explained that I needed handicapped seating, and it was going to cost me more money. I explained that I thought purchasing a handicapped discount ticket would allow me to be able to use handicapped seating. I asked for a supervisor and was told I can't talk to a supervisor, then they put me on hold. 10 minutes later they changed my ticket to handicapped seating for free. When I got home I called amtrak to complain and told them I will never use amtrak again. The stations are still not 100% ADA compliant, and its discrimination to charge me more for a handicapped seat.

My husband and I and our two kids traveled on Amtrak. When we boarded, we were directed to the dining car because all other cars were full. However, when we arrived at the dining car, we discovered that the air condition was not functional. Unable to go anywhere else, our family had to ride in an incredibly hot car that felt like a sauna for approximately 6 hours. It was one of the worst experiences of our life. We will never travel by train again. I wouldn't advise anyone else to either.

We went up to Chicago on Friday, July 14, from Bloomington-Normal. Staff complaining loudly about the route being overbooked. They didn't speak with customers, just each other. When customers were addressed on the platform, it was really just yelling for people to go to certain areas. Zero friendly smiles and greetings. The trip was uneventful and we had a fun vacation. We were set to leave today, Monday, July 17 and, due to traffic snarls, we arrived as the train was leaving. A very nice employee told my fiancè that this happens often and that all we needed to do was go let customer service know and that we would be put on the next train. Imagine our relief!

Upon arriving to customer service, I was ignored by who I was to find out later was the manager and a young ** clerk who was, I believe, on his cell phone. I stood there for several minutes before the younger man asked me what I needed. I barely had a complete sentence out of my mouth when he cut me off and said there was nothing he could do, that e-tickets were never refunded, that he wouldn't argue with me and that was all. Eyes back down to another task, letting me clearly know that I was dismissed. I said something along the lines of, "Are you kidding me? Your job as a customer service representative is to help me solve this problem..." He challenged me to speak with his supervisor "who would tell me the same thing he had" and I said "please, there is always something that can be done."

He then said "he just walked out there" meaning the masses of Union Station and told me to go get him, pointing to all the people walking and continued to say in an exasperated voice, "he was right there; I showed you 3 times. He gone now," and proceeded to dismiss me again by turning his back on me. I said "I need your manager now; please page him." Young employee said he "didn't have no pager" and turned around again. At this point, I am just stunned and getting angry and incredulous that Amtrak doesn't allow overhead paging? Before telling me to leave the office, he got on the phone and was suddenly able to phone the manager that was unreachable. He told me to leave or he would "call the police on me" when I pretty much demanded a manager.

I also told him that I couldn't believe how he was treating me, that I am a manager at Walgreens and that if we treated customers like this, we would face oral and possibly final written discipline. He all of the sudden told me to sit down because the police "were on their way to remove me." The police determined that there was no reason for me to leave before speaking with a manager. The manager arrived and my fiancè took over because I started crying. My fiance was told that they would refund our tickets, which I said was absolutely unnecessary, and put us on the next train and then the manager looked at me, full of anger, and said now I needed to get out.

Finally on the train. Exhausted, I fell asleep. My fiance said he woke me but the next thing I know, an ** man in a dark blue Amtrak uniform is standing over me screaming at me about how I had kept AN ENTIRE CAR WAITING. I said I was sorry, that I didn't mean to fall back to sleep. The aisles were packed, I had overhead luggage and had decided to just wait, that I certainly hadn't intended to cause any trouble. This man followed me from the second level all the way down to the platform, scolding and belittling me. He demanded that I answer his question that he kept repeating: "What? What? You think I'd be wrong to have just let your irresponsible self ride through to Lincoln, IL, don't ya?!" I turned around and said, "don't speak to me like this!" He laughed, said something about how "he better not see me on his train again" and slammed the train car door.

We chose the train because we had heard of the comfort, ease and the price was a significant amount less than parking in a garage is. I never imagined this treatment. I'm still confused and hurt. I will never board another Amtrak again. I imagine you reading/skimming over this complaint and smiling to yourself, mumbling "good, don't want you," like I've heard CSR's say over and over at stores across the nation. I'm also pretty sure that you won't follow up with me; a standard trademark of corporations who couldn't care less because of one or SEVERAL reasons. When this behavior is tolerated, it sets the tone for not only our candidates and in some cases our older staff as well. I cannot express in words how truly disappointing this experience was. I certainly hope you follow through with the employees involved. If they had been my employees, anger and embarrassment would ruin my day.

Rude service from attendant in train car. Smell of train is unbearable. Food is freezer burnt from store so don't eat there and price of dinner or breakfast is 3 times what it should be with limited crappy menu of 2-3 items. Don't eat on train. I was on train 7 the Empire Builder July 16th, 2017. Horrible experience.

All my 4 trains on my trip were at least 30 mins late. Worst was my final train was 2 hours late. How is this possible that the timetables are so far off from what happened. I am very disappointed with service and lack of communication.

Very bad customer service, always runs late and wouldn't print tickets. Machines were broken. Rest rooms on train were very unusable and dirty. Food prices very high for nothing and they didn't dim lights at night nor give reservations for food at right time. Very rude to all customers and stopped randomly causing the train to be even more late. This a huge disappointment. Prices higher than a flight and flights are faster. Very dirty train in the inside.

I recently had surgery on some of my abdominal muscles and am not allowed to lift heavy things. As we were boarding the train, I very politely explained my situation to the conductor, and asked for some help lifting my heavy suitcase onto the train. She looked me up and down, and then said "you ain't got no doctor's note, so you shouldn't be talking" and turned back around. Thankfully another passenger offered to help, but this was by far the most rude and unprofessional response I could've gotten. Will never ride Amtrak again.

Where do I start? Train was delayed three hours to and from our destination. The temperature was in the 90s and the AC didn't work on the Friday we left. It was in the 90s when we returned and they again put us on a section of train with no AC. To top it off when we arrived in Denver they kept us on the train for an extra half hour. It took us an additional 40 minutes to get our luggage. By the time we got our luggage we missed our train to get home because of the Rockies game ending. The trip was advertised as a 5 hour trip. Both trips took 7 plus hours not counting the three hour delays. Needless to say I will never take Amtrak again.

First time riding the Amtrak was going from Champaign IL to New Orleans. No direction from attendants my wife's luggage was dropped off in Jacksonville and my camera double bagged in a case was damaged when I got my luggage. Fine whatever ** happens. The topper was the attendant who as getting on talked crap and argued with another attendant, then talked disrespectful about an elderly women as she got off the train. To top it off same guy as I'm waiting to get off I ask how long his shifts were. He waited 2 min before answering maybe wasn't sure I was talking to him but seemed as he was just annoyed. He answered 3 days. I asked if they sleep on a sleeper car or how it worked. He just said, "Ya something like that." Just was completely rude and seemed to hate people.

First let me say if I could give zero stars I would. We rode Amtrak from Minneapolis to Chicago on June 21, 2017. It was 3.5 hrs late, we were lucky we were not trying to catch a connecting train. The car was freezing, but we did think to bring blankets. The cafe car ran out of food. On our return the power outlets did not work for several hours, the PA system did not work at all in our car and after I reported it, no effort was made to try to get information to us in another way. The dining car was full so we ordered the meal in our seat. It was horrible and even though we were late leaving Milwaukee where the meals we loaded they still did not get all of the food on the train.

Then when we arrived back in Minneapolis I found my suitcase broken and no one around to report it to at 10:45 pm. When I called the next day they said I needed to have reported it at the station before I left. I had already told them there was no one there to report it to. She file a report anyway for the claims people to handle. I received an email saying they had tried to contact me but had not be able to reach me. They left no messages so as far as I am concerned they lied. She also said she hoped I would understand that they would not be taking care of my suitcase because I was supposed to report it at the station. I have responded basically saying if she could please explain the process of reporting to someone who isn't there I would appreciate it for the next time I will never be taking a trip on. I certainly understand better why they are in financial trouble. I cannot understand the incompetence of these people.

I never travel with Amtrak train anymore, agent don't respect customers, run slow, stop to fix many time. I'm very tired then I wish I was a bird to fly home quickly, agent attitude is bad like they give me free and seem rude with me, don't care what customer's feeling. Never use train anymore, I fly 100$ but train cost 260$, I got a mistake.

After booking a short train trip to Syracuse I was embarrassed to realize I'd put the wrong date of birth on the reservation. I called Amtrak and the customer service rep Maggie fixed it for me quickly and efficiently. I needed to change the ticket coming home from Syracuse and again, I was greeted with friendly and efficient service. I'm more accustomed to being told NO and arguing to fix things. Thanks Amtrak, I'm letting all my friends know what a pleasant experience booking with you was.

Sitting at Richmond station for over 30 minutes... took 8+ hours to get from Newport News, VA to New York. Can drive in less time, in fact I figure I could save about 2-3 hours driving. Will never use this station again. Still sitting here, over 35 minutes, they don't know why we are sitting here... very dissatisfied. June 17 and June 20th.

Poor food, both quality and limited choices. Poor train and sleeper cabin conditions (leaking shower, non-functioning sofa bed, and dead power outlets) on the Lakeshore Limited 6/14/17. Not even close to on-time service. I apologized to a group of Brits who spent 14 days on this poor excuse of a rail service, as an American and as a taxpayer subsidizing this chicanery. The pinnacle of our experience was the steward demanding our towels and linens (and for US to remove the pillowcases for him) an hour from our destination. And he expected a gratuity.

I was traveling from Newark, NJ to Philadelphia as my final destination, and wanted to store my bags with the baggage storage so I could walk around outside for a little while before my ride showed up. A man who worked there walked up and said "what" so I asked if I could store my bags and he asked me for my train ticket, which I mistakenly left on the train (my fault) so without saying a word all he does is point to the sign that says I need my ticket and says nothing else.

So I ask what do I need to do. Points to the ticket counter, tells me to go get another one printed out which unfortunately I wasn't able to do that because I had already finished my travel. So I would have had to spend money for a train ticket that I didn't need plus 10 dollars to store my bag even though I had a confirmation email about my purchased tickets. The fact that the person working at the baggage counter was so rude though is the reason I'm leaving a bad review. The worst attitude and was very unhelpful.

How does a long-distance train manage to run out of most everything at the snack bar? Why wouldn’t there be a means of provisioning a train at a major large city stop (Denver)? Why would an organization trying to make a name for itself and avoid funding cuts, hire rude conductors, loud, obnoxious, and inappropriate people to make announcements from the dining car?

These are a few of the un-pleasantries that you too can expect if you decide to take this train. Along with overpriced everything, you really do have to wonder if they are absolutely trying to fail. To be sure, I love… or rather used to love traveling by train, but if this is the sign of the times, I may pay the extra to fly. Maybe possibly reserve my love of train travel for my dream trip on VIA or CN rail. One of the other things you can’t help but notice, is the stark difference in how tracks and stations are maintained from one state to the next. With all that laid out I should probably develop a little of what I said or at least offer solutions, because after all don’t complain if you can help, or at least offer to help to fix it.

Amtrak, here is what you should probably be doing. Please hire people that WANT to be on a train for days at a time. Many of the people that I interacted with were surely, and seemed unhappy. I don’t many people that want to spend more than a few hours on a train with people like that. In keeping with the “People” thing… Please hire people that can speak and enunciate, or at least keep those people off of the intercom system.

Please ask your dining car announcers not to talk over the conductor about lunch lines, when the conductor is giving instructions for the next stop, which is only a few minutes away. Yes!! This did happen. Provided your people with standardized messages for the announcements of: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, seating arrangements, waiting list protocol. Only allow pre-screened, professional sounding, friendly, customer service oriented employees to make those announcements!!! Keep your trains provisioned!? Major city stops should be provisioning points. There is no way you can tell me that you can’t afford to upload hotdogs/buns. I wish I had taken a picture or everything they were out of.

The good news?! Yes, there are some positives to report. The cars were comfortable, but had the dirt and grime you’d expect from a long-distance train. There is plenty of leg room in coach. If you can think of it, and in order to get around the overly expensive, if limited selections of food and beverages, bring yourself on a small fabric cooler with food and drink… You will REALLY thank yourself for that one. The engineers are awesome. In my eighteen-hour ride, things were as smooth as the rails would allow, with gradual, customer walking through aisles, friendly acceleration and braking. The locomotives used on this haul can really “hoof it”, when tracks and right of way allow.

All and all it wasn’t a terrible trip, but I guess I just long for days gone by, when train travel was a customer service marvel, with genuinely friendly employees, with a sense of decorum. Amtrak just doesn’t seem to get it in this respect. Perhaps it is just a sign of the times... and as I post this, a member of the "Chicago-based" (apparently synonymous with rude), just made an announcement that the dining car is closed, don't ask for water, ice, no nothin'... Amtrak will you please hire some educated people!!!! Could be way better.

Booked Amtrak reservation. I arrived to receive ticket and was told that I would have to take a bus to my destination instead of the Amtrak. No refund and no accommodations. I attempted to board bus and the driver told me I must wait 2 more hours to board. The driver literally chatted outside of bus with employees and other bus drivers as I wait in the extremely hot Sun. The buses that arrived after my bus even allowed their passenger to board. I feel this is absurd. The worst experience ever while on my way to see mom in ICU. The driver could at least allowed me to put my bags onto the bus as a courtesy. Where is customer service skills here?

If I pay for 2 tickets for my husband and I, we expect to be sitting next to each other. I'm sitting next to a stranger, he's sitting next to a stranger for 15 hours... This is ridiculous. The guy boarding the train says "sorry we're completely full, you'll have to sit community", yet there are SEVERAL single riders sitting alone. THEY SHOULD BE SEATED TOGETHER!!! Then there would be two seats available for those traveling together. So ** disappointed... Will probably just drive next time because this is not worth it. We may as well have just taken separate trips... So upset.

Poor choice of hotel in Denver and poor bus services. My husband booked a package from Amtrak. We took a flight to Denver last May 22 since our tour starts the following day. Amtrak arranged for our hotel which was quite far from downtown and the hotel was a piece of crap. Quality Inn.. The front desk clerk gave us an occupied room. The room we had had a very noisy air conditioner and when I turned on the water at the shower, it was red-orange. The hotel is old and the floor we stayed at smelled like **. Counter people were not really very helpful. There was no pickup or drop off services included in the package.The city tour of Denver was okay.

The following day, we took a train to Salt Lake City. The trip was pleasant and comfortable. We checked in at Sheraton Hotel and this hotel is perfect, location wise and accommodation wise. Service was great and the staff were all accommodating and very courteous. Transfers were provided free. The following day, we had the city tour. It was okay. The Denver tour was better. The next morning, Sheraton provided us with a free shuttle to our pickup point at Temple St where the Salt Lake Express bus was supposed to bring us to Yellowstone. It was like 6 hours drive including delays and guess what, the bus bathroom was not working. We were traveling with a few seniors and one was even on oxygen. They will file their own complaints.

There seems to be no coordination between Amtrak and their subcontractors. There was a change to a smaller vehicle at Rexburg. The additional trip to Yellowstone from Rexburg is 1 1/2 hours. The ride was okay. When we got to the hotel we were supposed to be booked, our names were not registered. The front desk clerk was kind enough to fix it. He found out that Amtrak booked us to their sister hotel. The Yellowstone Park Hotel is a nice and decent hotel so we were very satisfied with it. The next day, we were picked up by this Yellowstone tour shuttle bus. The bus came late. Tour was like 9 hours. The tour was okay but long. So this morning we were picked up by the same Salt Lake Express. He was on time. Again change to a bigger shuttle at Rexburg.

When we got in the bigger shuttle, the other group with special request for his wife with oxygen was very irritated and frustrated with the bus company. His request was not met again. Like what I mentioned earlier, they will include this in their list of complaints. We were on our way back to Salt Lake City. About 40 mins from the city the a/c broke down and it was 75 degrees warm and warmer inside the shuttle. This Salt Lake Express bus sucks. Not the fault of the drivers but the company.

Right now we are at the lobby of Sheraton Here at SLC. We had an agreement with Amtrak that we can leave our luggages at their office upon arrival from Yellowstone since our train will still depart at 11 pm to SFO. We arrived from Yellowstone at around 4:30 pm. We took the Uber to the train station and guess what. The Amtrak office was closed. We were not going to stand there and wait for our departure at 11 pm.

My husband called up Sheraton and asked for assistance and since we checked in with them 2 nights ago, they picked us up and stored our luggages for us until we depart tonight. I commend Sheraton for the extended assistance even if we have already checked out. The last leg of our tour will be in Yosemite. I hope that there will be no more undesirable surprises. Amtrak tour people, you need to coordinate well with your subcontractors and choose them very well. I suggest never deal with Quality Inn. Please make sure that when you commit to your passengers, do it!!

I was really excited for our Chicago-Austin trip on the Texas Eagle but I'm sad to report that I left the train just frustrated. First, I will say that the staff onboard, in the sleeping and dining cars are fantastic. Super friendly and welcoming. We were really grateful for them. But despite them, I can't recommend this trip. The service quality of Amtrak and timeliness is awful. They changed our entire route midway through the trip without telling us, we only knew where we were by looking at Google maps. The train stops constantly with no explanation and you can be 3 hours delayed with no concern of any kind from the staff. It's really nothing to them. It's a fun idea for a trip if you literally have zero concern with where you end up or when but otherwise, I would say it's not worth it.

I am currently on train 283, traveling from Penn Station, NYC to Buffalo, NY. Except for the restroom, which is beyond filthy, this train is pleasant, comfortable, and clean. Four days ago, however, train 284 was entirely filthy. It looked as though it had not been cleaned in YEARS, with slimy seats and sticky door handles. The curtains had fallen off the windows. The staff appeared totally oblivious to any of these problems. I had to wipe up a flood in the restroom.

Obviously, passengers are expected to come prepared with bleach and prodigious quantities of Lysol. The train was totally nauseating. The person who is responsible for the food counter sits down in the dining car and is visibly annoyed when asked for anything. And my whole trip was in BUSINESS CLASS! I shudder to think of how much coach must be. How can one company have one way to NYC be a filthy nightmare, and the other be clean and pleasant (except for the filthy restrooms)??

While riding from Newport News VA to NYC in the quiet car, several passengers were smoking in the restrooms! Conductors really should patrol this car more frequently! Conductors only seemed to show up to collect fares. One male passenger acted really suspicious walking back and forth through the aisles as if to steal overhead baggage! This was a horrible ride for my husband and I. We didn't dare try to sleep! Also passengers who did sleep had their feet in the aisles damn near on others laps across the aisle!! This ride was nothing short of a typical ride on the NYC subway system! After many trips roundtrips to NC from NYC and this will be my last! Amtrak has really changed for the worse!

Booked a sleeper room on Coast Starlight from Oakland California to LA which is a 12 hour ride. Booked months in advance. On our way to the train station got a recorded message on cell phone that we would not be in a sleeper, but instead a coach seat. They had some sleepers but we didn't get one. Found out from a young girl that did get a sleeper a couple of hours into 12 hour trip that they still had some sleepers. Tried to ask attendant who appeared to be a moron. My husband & I are 63 and 59 years old. The same moron mentioned that there might be some sleepers when there was 1 hour left until we pulled into the station. Was told they would adjust our bill, but I get the feeling if I don't call them they will never call us. Ruined our vacation.

I have never written a review in my life. Felt it was definitely needed in my experience traveling on Amtrak! I was traveling with my 18-month-old & daughter who is 10. Decided to take the train instead of flying for the experience. Oh what an experience it was! Never ever again! Staff was so rude and unhelpful. During booking I expressed that I would need help with my luggage and have a baby who needed milk. They told me that they would write a side note letting staff know what I needed. I received no help and attitude for wanting ice to keep my baby's milk cold.

Went down to the diner for dinner and lunch but traveling with a toddler is never easy. I was trying to be respectful to the other guest and order my food to go but got attitude for that as well. Felt like I was a total nuisance. The train was running over 3 hours late and never let any of the passengers know. I was suppose to get off in Austin but couldn't deal with the rudeness of the staff and them not being accommodating to me or my family anymore! I decided to have my husband drive 3 hours to Dallas and pick us up. I rather spend 3 hours in the car than spend one more minute on the train! I will never ride Amtrak again!

Amtrak Company Profile