Consumer Complaints & Reviews
My elderly parents put a $1000.00 deposit down and a few weeks later my dad got sick with Leukemia and pneumonia and could not go. They would not refund the money. They said fee's used the money up. There are many complaints on BBB on these people. Beware of this company.
Paid over $5,000 a piece for Alaskan Cruise as they advertised complimentary internet (larger ships charge up to 75 cents per minute plus hook-up charge) and satellite television. They provided neither in any capacity. Upon complaining, they said we would have poor reception in the wilderness, yet there was still nothing in any port. It made for a very boring experience with nothing to do. Friends had much better time on larger cruise ships paying half the price. Do not believe their advertisements.
Michelle BaranRiver Cruises Contributing Editor
Michelle Baran is a senior editor at Travel Weekly, where she has been reporting on the travel and river cruise industries since 2007. Baran has also written about river cruising for Travel + Leisure, Travel + Leisure Southeast Asia and Budget Travel, and co-authored Frommer’s "EasyGuide to River Cruising.” She received her Masters in Journalism from Northwestern University.
More about Michelle→
Established in 1991 in Guilford, Connecticut, American Cruise Lines specializes in U.S. river and small-ship coastal cruises. Its ships carry 50 to 150 passengers.
- Various U.S. regions: The regions American Cruise Lines sails are Alaska, the Pacific Northwest, the Mississippi River, the Northeastern United States and the Southeastern United States. Cruise themes include Lewis and Clark and fall foliage cruises.
- Shore excursions: Shore excursions such as city tours and mansion visits appeal to a wide range of interests and ages. There are both daily included tours as well as optional excursions for an additional fee.
- The Eagle Society: The company rewards repeat guests with free membership to The Eagle Society. Benefits include special offers and personalized service.
- Fees: While fees do not include port charges and optional excursions, they do cover meals, live nightly entertainment and other amenities.
- Solo travelers: The company actively welcomes single travelers.
- Best for Older travelers, couples and solo travelers that want to cruise in the U.S. should head for American Cruise Lines.
Compare River Cruise Lines
American Cruise Lines Profile
- Company Name:
- American Cruise Lines
- 741 Boston Post Road, Suite 200
Guilford, CT 06437
- Year Founded: