2.69/5
  • 1 star
Based on 13 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 12, 2017

13 American Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

We took a Grand New England cruise with American Cruise Lines in Sept 2017. This was our first time traveling with this company AND it will be the LAST time! We have traveled both land and water over the past 10 plus years and have NEVER had the disappointment as we had with American Cruise Line. This trip was the most expensive on a per day cost and offered the least amenities and the poorest food. The rooms were more than adequate; the staff very polite BUT very inexperienced in their jobs.

The nightly entertainment was pitiful and there was no variety. The cocktail hour was staffed with bartenders that had no experience and appetizers that often were gone within minutes. In fact, at the cocktail reception on arrival day by the time we boarded the boat there was nothing left and no one available to provide any refreshments. Meals were small and the variety was minimal. At one of the very few times when red meat was offered, my husband chose the prime rib. It came as a pre-sliced, overcooked and definitely not part of a prime rib roast.

On one night of the cruise when the waters were so rough and everyone including the staff were getting seasickness, there was no medical staff available to help. We were informed that they had staff trained in first aid but that no nurse or MD was on their staff. This was very concerning since the average age of the clients was well into the seventies! We lost traveling to scheduled ports because of the water condition and spent hours traveling by bus rather than ship.

Lastly, as we got ready for departure we were forced to leave the ship a day early as we found out that the ship would not be back in dock early enough. I specifically called and spoke to reservation dept. when I was arranging flight times and was told that my departure time would not be a problem. Obviously they were wrong. It is sad to say that after the trip, I found reviews similar to what we experienced. All I can say now is BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

The rooms were dirty beyond belief. The rooms were supposed to be large, over 200 square feet and were barely 140 square feet. Filthy bathroom, blood stains on the bedding, dirty linens, mold in the bathroom. We were so disappointed as this was supposed to be a luxurious cruise with top notch amenities. They are still advertising as all of this so it's now fraud. It was so disappointing. The cruise line has refunded half our money but still don't think the cruise was worth half the cost. The only good thing about the cruise is the people we went with and that's a shame.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Due to health issues we had to cancel a cruise one year in advance - actually 338 days prior to sailing. The deposit was $1000 of which they kept $500. They said I could use that on a cruise taken within the next year. If I could cruise within the next year I would have taken my original cruise. I feel it is outrageous that they keep half of a deposit ($500) for admin fees??? All other cruises that I have been on the deposit is $100 per person and is refundable within six months of cruise date. We gave them more than enough time to resell that cruise.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

The price of the cruise was more than reasonable when compared to the quality of the cruise. The value is extremely fair and I had no complaints about the cost. The quality of the amenities included was superb. It felt luxurious and relaxing. Especially considering the price we were overall satisfied with the quality of our stay. This cruise and so many activities -- it was insane! There were so many different options that absolutely anyone regardless of age, gender, hobbies preference, etc., there's something for everyone. This cruise had hands down the best amenities I've ever seen offered for a cruise. With all the amenities that were offered, the cruise had a luxurious vibe that was enjoyed by all.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

It was really expensive and the activities we had available were unimpressive. We had bad service and the cruise itself was poorly planned. My accommodations were smaller than advertised and when I complained, I was told there was nothing they could or would do for me. They didn't apologize or offer compensation for the misinformation. My food was often bland or undercooked and I ended up getting sick off the food. There was nothing interesting to do off the ship. We tried some of the sightseeing activities but they were poorly planned and disorganized. The excitement was more in the boat than anywhere else and I didn't like it at all. Every time I tried to take advantage of food amenities or other things there was a problem. They either were out of anything I wanted, there was over crowding, or the things they claimed were available were not available. I was not impressed at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Cruise Lines?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

Boat didn't sink once. Fun time on the water with family, food, and drinks. Everyone should do it. It was a little hot and humid but a fun time. Boat was a bit crowded and drinks weren't strong enough. Would give it another chance though. Fun options and a fun captain. Very personable. Good times in the water. Go out and book your river cruise today. Food and drinks way good. Not enough space to sit everyone in front with a view. Grab your seat early and hold on to it. Plan early and get that seat.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

The cruise was very well priced for everything it has to offer. I would definitely recommend it to my friends and everybody else. We had so much fun and at the same time we're so relax. I would rate my quality of stay as a five-star. You were treated like royalty no matter what kind of cabin you had. Also the food was exceptional and the staff was extremely Pleasant and helpful. I felt like a queen aboard this ship. Our itinerary have so many options to choose from. There was something for everybody to do from water sports to games to wining and dining. If you were bored on this ship you are crazy and it left you plenty of time for your own accord. There are so many amenities to choose, from Family Dining to the activities to the water sports to the game. The amenities I would give A 5 star rating too. Nothing topped it.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

Wish our room and package came with more things to do and places to eat. However, our room was beautiful and the view was spectacular. I really enjoyed our visit and most of the staff were friendly and kind and willing to help us every day. All in all it was a beautiful cruise, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have the trip of a lifetime. My family and I are so glad we chose the line we did. We are very satisfied with our experience. There are a lot of things to do while on the ship, but we were disappointed to find our package didn't include some restaurant sort or attractions. The room was beautiful and spectacular, it was thoroughly cleaned every day as far as I know and it was layer out nicely. Very well put together.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

This cruise ship line is great. The value is the best. I have always been able to get a great deal. I always stay refreshed and happy on my stays. My stay is always rejuvenating. There is so much to do and choose from. You will never be or get bored!!! It is impossible!!! Half of the time you can't do all of the things that are offered. The amenities are great. I've never had a problem and I doubt that I ever will. This cruise line never disappoints me. I am always extremely happy and satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Food is traditional American cuisine, usually prepared well, with some ambitious and creative offerings on the menu. Regional American fare is the norm with fresh seafood available on the coastal trips, Southern cooking on the Mississippi River cruises and Pacific Northwest-inspired cuisine on the western trips. Breakfast features freshly baked breads and muffins, and lunch and dinner feature freshly pies with, for example, fresh Maine blueberries in the summer season. Docking in the center of town means independent exploring is possible, allowing those who want the opportunity to wander off on their own, shop for antiques, have dinner ashore or simply get some exercise walking.

With the destination so much a part of each cruise, there is usually only a morning or afternoon sailing each day -- otherwise you are tied up at the dock. Shore excursions are available for an additional fee on the coastal cruises, and at least one excursion is included with the fare on Mississippi and Snake and Columbia River cruises. Tours are scheduled for nearly every port, and they may be as simple as a two-hour town walk with a local historian or a bus tour to a museum or beauty spot. They are fairly priced between $10 and $35. Life onboard an American Cruise Lines ship really revolves around two things: going ashore in port every day, and the friendly ambience highlighted by the 5:30 p.m. cocktail hour with dinner and a lecture following. Meeting your fellow passengers is an important part of the cruise, and the open seating in the dining room encourages everyone to mix.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

Being on a budget I was able to have a great vacation at a reasonable price. I enjoyed the sightseeing, good service. My cabin was clean, comfortable. Overall I was very happy with the quality of my stay. The staff was experienced and efficient, the service was great. The people on board seems to enjoy their stay as well. The food was good and diversified, everyone find something they like and love for every meal. We were looking for a trip that was within our budget, and we find it on your cruise instead of others. We got to the boat and departed on time and smoothly. Clean, somebody was always cleaning and making sure the premises were spotless for the guests. All boat had signage to help people around the boat.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

My elderly parents put a $1000.00 deposit down and a few weeks later my dad got sick with Leukemia and pneumonia and could not go. They would not refund the money. They said fee's used the money up. There are many complaints on BBB on these people. Beware of this company.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2013

Paid over $5,000 a piece for Alaskan Cruise as they advertised complimentary internet (larger ships charge up to 75 cents per minute plus hook-up charge) and satellite television. They provided neither in any capacity. Upon complaining, they said we would have poor reception in the wilderness, yet there was still nothing in any port. It made for a very boring experience with nothing to do. Friends had much better time on larger cruise ships paying half the price. Do not believe their advertisements.

American Cruise Lines expert review by Michelle Baran

Established in 1991 in Guilford, Connecticut, American Cruise Lines specializes in U.S. river and small-ship coastal cruises. Its ships carry 50 to 150 passengers.

• Various U.S. regions: The regions American Cruise Lines sails are Alaska, the Pacific Northwest, the Mississippi River, the Northeastern United States and the Southeastern United States. Cruise themes include Lewis and Clark and fall foliage cruises.

• Shore excursions: Shore excursions such as city tours and mansion visits appeal to a wide range of interests and ages. There are both daily included tours as well as optional excursions for an additional fee.

• The Eagle Society: The company rewards repeat guests with free membership to The Eagle Society. Benefits include special offers and personalized service.

• Fees: While fees do not include port charges and optional excursions, they do cover meals, live nightly entertainment and other amenities.

• Solo travelers: The company actively welcomes single travelers.

• Best for: Older travelers, couples and solo travelers that want to cruise in the U.S. should head for American Cruise Lines.

Profile picture of Michelle Baran
Michelle Baran

River Cruises Contributing Editor

Michelle Baran is a senior editor at Travel Weekly, where she has been reporting on the travel and river cruise industries since 2007. Baran has also written about river cruising for Travel + Leisure, Travel + Leisure Southeast Asia and Budget Travel, and co-authored Frommer’s "EasyGuide to River Cruising.” She received her Masters in Journalism from Northwestern University.

American Cruise Lines Company Information