3.27/5
Based on 30 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

30 American Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I was very dissatisfied with the food on the trip. The only good meal was breakfast. I just cannot believe they served less than mediocre lunches and dinners. The soups were terrible and you got about four tablespoons. After tasting I did not eat any more soup. The best meal was the lobster tail on Friday. Oh, can you tell me if the lobster salad and lobster put on top of some of the dishes was canned. It was so mushy. The best part of the cruise was the tours, except for that hapless one on Friday to some gorge because we couldn't go on the original tour scheduled. My cabin. What a disappointment. No one cared what it looked like. One desk, TV on desk. Who sits at a desk to watch TV? The bed shoved against the wall and the big corner opposite the bed bare, it could have used a comfortable chair to watch TV and to sit on to put your shoes on.

My friend (who had her own cabin) booked us a trip on the lower Mississippi but we canceled and we are looking for another cruise line for next year. Even your wait staff wasn't that great. Half of them were really great and the bad. I sat at the same two tables through most of the cruise. Do you know how many times the wrong dish was at in front of me - soup instead of salad (Could you spare the salad?). The wrong entree. Your cook is not a good cook. Talk to the chef on the American Star that goes to New England. We went there last year and the food was gourmet, just wonderful. After every dinner the chef being proud of his food came out and visited every table. That was a nice touch. I think your cook on this ship needs to go to culinary school. You were such a disappointment since we had such a first class wonder vacation and food on the American Star.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have made several cruises with American Cruise Lines, each time with a different person or persons, and each time the ship has been a bit larger. I have loved the fact that the ship is not so big and not feeling crowded by huge numbers of passengers. I have loved the activities planned for each cruise and the information resources along with them. On each trip, the food was wonderful, focusing on the regional specialties along the way. (On the "whaling islands" cruise, I relished the frequency of lobster on the menu, and especially the lobster bake.) On each trip, the crew was excellent, friendly and caring. I felt I was among friends. I have recommended American Cruise Lines on more than one occasion and will continue to do so. Looking forward to my next trip!

Get expert buying tips about River Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I took their much advertised trip to the islands. The ship was too large to dock so we had to take a small boat to visit the ports. Some islands we skipped and there was no mention made as to why. The crew did a good job but it was apparent that the corporate managers made all the decisions. Having sailed with them before I was looking forward to great meals but I was very disappointed. The food was bland with little thought given to the way it looked. The chicken pot pie, for example,was a bowl of a sort of thickened chicken stew. No biscuit. Little flavor. Sad indeed.

The entertainment seemed to use the same playbook. The first three nights the band's played almost the same music. There was a speaker on board but they only offered a few programs. They were good but we took the trip to learn more about the islands. The day trips were interesting but we found out later about other options that might have been more enjoyable and would have cost much less. The cabins are nice size but they seem dated in decor even though this was a new ship.

We noted several areas where maintenance was needed. The new carpet was loose making a tripping hazard. The public areas showed signs of wear and no amount of cleaning was going to fix the odd color choices. Overall for the price I was not impressed. I have sailed on small lines before and will go back to companies that really do put the experience first. Never again will I sail on American cruise lines and I will suggest that others take a good look at other options as well.

Original review: July 10, 2018

We took our first American Cruise Lines cruise and tour to New England on the inaugural voyage (American Constellation) and had a wonderful time! We’ve been in the group tour business for 26 years and sailed on more cruises than we can count. Now we are retired and took this cruise (minus the 50 people who usually travel with us!). This cruise was incredibly well organized and the staff was above and beyond well trained in hospitality and customer care. The staterooms were very comfortable with every detail well considered. Being on the inaugural trip, we were bestowed with numerous high end gifts almost daily! I Facebooked photos of our daily itinerary and friends coaxed us into taking another cruise on the Queen of the West (Snake and Columbia River) departing next week (July 2018)! I can’t say enough good things about American Cruise Lines and we are looking forward to more journeys in the future!

Original review: July 9, 2018

My husband and I embarked on an American Cruise Line trip aboard the "American Constitution" in June of 2018. We thought it was remarkable. From the ship itself - clean, spacious, and decorated with beautiful pastel colors to its excellent personal service, and wonderful food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner was always a treat. The excursions/ports were well thought out and nicely directed by one of the staff. The ship was easy to access - on and off. We never had to wait. There were 140 passengers on board. Entertainment was provided every evening from comedians to different types of music. If you like small ship cruising then this is your cruise lines. I highly recommend American Cruise Lines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Cruise Lines?

Original review: June 22, 2018

This cruise line doesn't even deserve one star. I have been cruising for 15 years and this cruise had to be the worst I have ever taken. I chose this cruise to see if there really was a difference between the “luxury” cruise lines and the Celebrities, Princess, etc. cruise lines and the substantial higher price. I spent three times the amount I would have spent on one of the other cruise lines to see if there actually was a difference. Difference I am not the only one on this cruise who was thoroughly dissatisfied.

It started when I first got onto the ship. I was very underwhelmed by the decor. It was very drab and plain. I got into my stateroom and the coffee maker didn't work, the safe didn't work, there was nowhere posted in the room to let you know where the ice machine was, there was no refrigerator in the room and no makeup mirror in the bathroom. To us, we had to go to the on all other cruise lines you had a cabin steward. We had none. As for your “Exquisite Cuisine” some meals were inedible. You only had a choice of two entrees. THE FOOD WAS TERRIBLE!

Between meal offerings were a selection of 3-4 canned soft drinks and 2 kinds of bottle juice. And the snacks… small bags of pretzels, granola bars, 2 kinds of chips, fig newtons and half baked cookies in the afternoon. They put out a dozen cookies for a ship that carried nearly 200 people. At cocktail time, most of the hors d'oeuvres were gone in 15 minutes and never refilled. Entertainment. SERIOUSLY!!! You think of yourself as luxury??? Most of the staff were new and inexperienced.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I booked the Pride cruise a year ago. I booked room 308 so me and my sister could share the room so me and my sister could be in the same room and spend time together. Upon arrival I was told that we had been upgraded. NOT!!! They put us in 2 small rooms that included a bed, desk with a chair. So there was no way we could sit in each others room and talk or watch t.v. together.

When I complained that this was not what I paid 13,000 dollars for the desk clerk was very rude and informed me my room had been given away. Corporate was contacted by the Boat manager but nothing was done. So the trip that we had been looking forward to after losing our Mother turned into my worst nightmare. So beware. Once they take your money they can do WHATEVER THEY WANT. If you are going to spend your money on a cruise this company is the wrong one to spend it on. I highly recommend Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian, Princess... etc. Trust me I have been on all of these. You can not go wrong unless you choose American Cruise Lines. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: June 19, 2018

We are so very pleased with American Cruise Lines. They give the most for the money. The cruise staff is exceptional in the care they give passengers. The food is superb and the service is wonderful. The tours are well planned and very informative. The entertainment is great and the on board naturalists give very interesting discussions. We can't wait for our next cruise.

Original review: June 7, 2018

This was my first cruise with ACL and I enjoyed it so much I booked a second. Fewer people on board which means you get a lot of personal attention from the crew. Food was excellent. There were a variety of excursions to choose from. I would have liked to have more information about them before the cruise. Very positive experience.

Original review: June 6, 2018

The dining deck did not have toilet/restroom facilities, requiring one to go up a deck to use the facilities. No self-laundering facilities as on the paddle wheelers i.e. America. Dining was an excellent experience with great choices, except a lot of lamb and duck on the menu.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We took this short cruise in March 2018. Had a group of 6 friends - none of us had ever cruised before. This was the most amazing vacation we've ever done! Staff was so professional yet totally accommodating - taking personal interest in meeting our every request/need. Shore excursions were great - well organized & always "on time". The food/drinks were sooo good! The chef personally came by each table almost every night during dinner just to see if we had any suggestions/complaints. Cabins were very large (bigger than some hotel rooms we've stayed in!!!) & extremely comfortable. The entire crew was AMERICAN & spoke ENGLISH (a big plus!!)!!! We chose this short cruise because we didn't really know what to expect - our next cruise will definitely be a little longer!!! In fact - we are already starting to plan for an Alaskan cruise with American Cruise Lines!!! Highly recommend this company!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

After two days on the Mississippi River Cruise I had a medical emergency and had to be taken to the hospital at Baton Rouge. There I had emergency surgery. When I called American Cruise Lines for a partial refund they refused even though I was only on the ship for 2 days. I think this is pretty shoddy treatment after paying more than $6,000 for the cruise.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Travel with American Cruise Lines has always been most enjoyable. The staff very accommodating, food very good with a number of choices, side trips interesting and informative. Overall a very positive trip.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Next week we take off for our 3rd cruise with American Cruise Lines and we can hardly wait. The staff are amazing and go the extra mile for a total personal experience, from helping to book an excursion to assisting with information on the places to not miss in each port to just asking how your day is, they always have a smile. The food! Well it is the best we have ever had on ANY cruise line, and the extra little touch of a cocktail hour just puts ACL over the top of their competitors.

We have always booked a veranda room and I have to say they are roomy enough and comfortable enough for two. Now the cruises that ACL offer are wonderful. We have enjoyed sailing with ACL on the Hudson River, the Upper Mississippi and next week the Lower Mississippi. We have several other Itineraries of ACL's that we would like to do and always thought that ACL has a very good list of ports-of-call and tours to highlight each voyage. We can't say enough about how much we enjoy the entire ACL experience.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Took a cruise last year and had a really good time on the Mississippi. Left from Memphis and saw a new place every day. I used to visit Baton Rouge and liked being back, even though I knew more than the tour guide. American Cruise Lines is the way to go. A very relaxing vacation.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We have enjoyed a great deal about American Cruise Lines. They have a major fleet of ships around the country, each with only around 100 people on at a time. They have really friendly people that on each ship that go way of their way to help you.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

We were on the New Year's 2017 Historic South & Golden Isles Cruise from Charleston, SC to Amelia Island, FL. The ship was already infected with the Norovirus from the previous cruise when we boarded. Common sense dictated that the cruise be cancelled before we boarded...it was not. My husband, as well as fellow crew members & passengers became infected seriously affecting service levels. My husband became seriously sick. The issue was never addressed while on board. How could this have been allowed to happen? My husband is still in hospital recovering from this. The cruise company should be compensating us for the worst experience ever & our hospitalization costs. Our bathroom was never thoroughly disinfected during the cruise because the ship was seriously short of staff due to illness. Who is responsible for public health on this cruise line?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

We took a Grand New England cruise with American Cruise Lines in Sept 2017. This was our first time traveling with this company AND it will be the LAST time! We have traveled both land and water over the past 10 plus years and have NEVER had the disappointment as we had with American Cruise Line. This trip was the most expensive on a per day cost and offered the least amenities and the poorest food. The rooms were more than adequate; the staff very polite BUT very inexperienced in their jobs.

The nightly entertainment was pitiful and there was no variety. The cocktail hour was staffed with bartenders that had no experience and appetizers that often were gone within minutes. In fact, at the cocktail reception on arrival day by the time we boarded the boat there was nothing left and no one available to provide any refreshments. Meals were small and the variety was minimal. At one of the very few times when red meat was offered, my husband chose the prime rib. It came as a pre-sliced, overcooked and definitely not part of a prime rib roast.

On one night of the cruise when the waters were so rough and everyone including the staff were getting seasickness, there was no medical staff available to help. We were informed that they had staff trained in first aid but that no nurse or MD was on their staff. This was very concerning since the average age of the clients was well into the seventies! We lost traveling to scheduled ports because of the water condition and spent hours traveling by bus rather than ship.

Lastly, as we got ready for departure we were forced to leave the ship a day early as we found out that the ship would not be back in dock early enough. I specifically called and spoke to reservation dept. when I was arranging flight times and was told that my departure time would not be a problem. Obviously they were wrong. It is sad to say that after the trip, I found reviews similar to what we experienced. All I can say now is BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

The rooms were dirty beyond belief. The rooms were supposed to be large, over 200 square feet and were barely 140 square feet. Filthy bathroom, blood stains on the bedding, dirty linens, mold in the bathroom. We were so disappointed as this was supposed to be a luxurious cruise with top notch amenities. They are still advertising as all of this so it's now fraud. It was so disappointing. The cruise line has refunded half our money but still don't think the cruise was worth half the cost. The only good thing about the cruise is the people we went with and that's a shame.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Due to health issues we had to cancel a cruise one year in advance - actually 338 days prior to sailing. The deposit was $1000 of which they kept $500. They said I could use that on a cruise taken within the next year. If I could cruise within the next year I would have taken my original cruise. I feel it is outrageous that they keep half of a deposit ($500) for admin fees??? All other cruises that I have been on the deposit is $100 per person and is refundable within six months of cruise date. We gave them more than enough time to resell that cruise.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

The price of the cruise was more than reasonable when compared to the quality of the cruise. The value is extremely fair and I had no complaints about the cost. The quality of the amenities included was superb. It felt luxurious and relaxing. Especially considering the price we were overall satisfied with the quality of our stay. This cruise and so many activities -- it was insane! There were so many different options that absolutely anyone regardless of age, gender, hobbies preference, etc., there's something for everyone. This cruise had hands down the best amenities I've ever seen offered for a cruise. With all the amenities that were offered, the cruise had a luxurious vibe that was enjoyed by all.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

It was really expensive and the activities we had available were unimpressive. We had bad service and the cruise itself was poorly planned. My accommodations were smaller than advertised and when I complained, I was told there was nothing they could or would do for me. They didn't apologize or offer compensation for the misinformation. My food was often bland or undercooked and I ended up getting sick off the food. There was nothing interesting to do off the ship. We tried some of the sightseeing activities but they were poorly planned and disorganized. The excitement was more in the boat than anywhere else and I didn't like it at all. Every time I tried to take advantage of food amenities or other things there was a problem. They either were out of anything I wanted, there was over crowding, or the things they claimed were available were not available. I was not impressed at all.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

Boat didn't sink once. Fun time on the water with family, food, and drinks. Everyone should do it. It was a little hot and humid but a fun time. Boat was a bit crowded and drinks weren't strong enough. Would give it another chance though. Fun options and a fun captain. Very personable. Good times in the water. Go out and book your river cruise today. Food and drinks way good. Not enough space to sit everyone in front with a view. Grab your seat early and hold on to it. Plan early and get that seat.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

The cruise was very well priced for everything it has to offer. I would definitely recommend it to my friends and everybody else. We had so much fun and at the same time we're so relax. I would rate my quality of stay as a five-star. You were treated like royalty no matter what kind of cabin you had. Also the food was exceptional and the staff was extremely Pleasant and helpful. I felt like a queen aboard this ship. Our itinerary have so many options to choose from. There was something for everybody to do from water sports to games to wining and dining. If you were bored on this ship you are crazy and it left you plenty of time for your own accord. There are so many amenities to choose, from Family Dining to the activities to the water sports to the game. The amenities I would give A 5 star rating too. Nothing topped it.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

Wish our room and package came with more things to do and places to eat. However, our room was beautiful and the view was spectacular. I really enjoyed our visit and most of the staff were friendly and kind and willing to help us every day. All in all it was a beautiful cruise, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have the trip of a lifetime. My family and I are so glad we chose the line we did. We are very satisfied with our experience. There are a lot of things to do while on the ship, but we were disappointed to find our package didn't include some restaurant sort or attractions. The room was beautiful and spectacular, it was thoroughly cleaned every day as far as I know and it was layer out nicely. Very well put together.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

This cruise ship line is great. The value is the best. I have always been able to get a great deal. I always stay refreshed and happy on my stays. My stay is always rejuvenating. There is so much to do and choose from. You will never be or get bored!!! It is impossible!!! Half of the time you can't do all of the things that are offered. The amenities are great. I've never had a problem and I doubt that I ever will. This cruise line never disappoints me. I am always extremely happy and satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Food is traditional American cuisine, usually prepared well, with some ambitious and creative offerings on the menu. Regional American fare is the norm with fresh seafood available on the coastal trips, Southern cooking on the Mississippi River cruises and Pacific Northwest-inspired cuisine on the western trips. Breakfast features freshly baked breads and muffins, and lunch and dinner feature freshly pies with, for example, fresh Maine blueberries in the summer season. Docking in the center of town means independent exploring is possible, allowing those who want the opportunity to wander off on their own, shop for antiques, have dinner ashore or simply get some exercise walking.

With the destination so much a part of each cruise, there is usually only a morning or afternoon sailing each day -- otherwise you are tied up at the dock. Shore excursions are available for an additional fee on the coastal cruises, and at least one excursion is included with the fare on Mississippi and Snake and Columbia River cruises. Tours are scheduled for nearly every port, and they may be as simple as a two-hour town walk with a local historian or a bus tour to a museum or beauty spot. They are fairly priced between $10 and $35. Life onboard an American Cruise Lines ship really revolves around two things: going ashore in port every day, and the friendly ambience highlighted by the 5:30 p.m. cocktail hour with dinner and a lecture following. Meeting your fellow passengers is an important part of the cruise, and the open seating in the dining room encourages everyone to mix.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

Being on a budget I was able to have a great vacation at a reasonable price. I enjoyed the sightseeing, good service. My cabin was clean, comfortable. Overall I was very happy with the quality of my stay. The staff was experienced and efficient, the service was great. The people on board seems to enjoy their stay as well. The food was good and diversified, everyone find something they like and love for every meal. We were looking for a trip that was within our budget, and we find it on your cruise instead of others. We got to the boat and departed on time and smoothly. Clean, somebody was always cleaning and making sure the premises were spotless for the guests. All boat had signage to help people around the boat.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

My elderly parents put a $1000.00 deposit down and a few weeks later my dad got sick with Leukemia and pneumonia and could not go. They would not refund the money. They said fee's used the money up. There are many complaints on BBB on these people. Beware of this company.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2013

Paid over $5,000 a piece for Alaskan Cruise as they advertised complimentary internet (larger ships charge up to 75 cents per minute plus hook-up charge) and satellite television. They provided neither in any capacity. Upon complaining, they said we would have poor reception in the wilderness, yet there was still nothing in any port. It made for a very boring experience with nothing to do. Friends had much better time on larger cruise ships paying half the price. Do not believe their advertisements.

American Cruise Lines expert review by Michelle Baran

Established in 1991 in Guilford, Connecticut, American Cruise Lines specializes in U.S. river and small-ship coastal cruises. Its ships carry 50 to 150 passengers.

• Various U.S. regions: The regions American Cruise Lines sails are Alaska, the Pacific Northwest, the Mississippi River, the Northeastern United States and the Southeastern United States. Cruise themes include Lewis and Clark and fall foliage cruises.

• Shore excursions: Shore excursions such as city tours and mansion visits appeal to a wide range of interests and ages. There are both daily included tours as well as optional excursions for an additional fee.

• The Eagle Society: The company rewards repeat guests with free membership to The Eagle Society. Benefits include special offers and personalized service.

• Fees: While fees do not include port charges and optional excursions, they do cover meals, live nightly entertainment and other amenities.

• Solo travelers: The company actively welcomes single travelers.

• Best for: Older travelers, couples and solo travelers that want to cruise in the U.S. should head for American Cruise Lines.

Profile picture of Michelle Baran
Michelle Baran

River Cruises Contributing Editor

Michelle Baran is a senior editor at Travel Weekly, where she has been reporting on the travel and river cruise industries since 2007. Baran has also written about river cruising for Travel + Leisure, Travel + Leisure Southeast Asia and Budget Travel, and co-authored Frommer’s "EasyGuide to River Cruising.” She received her Masters in Journalism from Northwestern University.

American Cruise Lines Company Information

1991
741 Boston Post Road, Suite 200
Guilford
CT
www.americancruiselines.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business