2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.9/5 (1310 ratings)

About Alamo Car Rental

Alamo Car Rental is a car rental agency with locations throughout the United States. Features include online check-in and discounts for Alamo Insiders members. With the Drive Happy app, customers can create and modify car rental reservations. The company also offers car seat rental, GPS navigation, Sirius XM and ski racks.

Pros

• Easy reservations
  • Discounts available
  • Online check-in
  • Mobile app

Cons

• May charge fees for drivers under 25
  • Credit card required

Bottom Line

Alamo rents cars, SUVs, trucks and vans all over the world. Customers can create, modify and cancel reservations online. Alamo offers some discounts but typically charges an extra fee for drivers under 25 years of age.

Top Alamo Car Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

…The rental agent, Chappy, was cheerful and chatty… When he found out that we were there because my mother, who is terminally ill with brain cancer, requested that we all meet one...

Verified

The experience was great and I would be more than happy to use the service again and recommend to friends and family. The value for the rental was great. The staff was very profes...

What is Alamo Rent a Car?

Alamo is a rental car provider with locations around the world. Drivers choose from a wide variety of cars, trucks, SUVs and vans, including everything from economy sedans to luxury sports cars.

You can book, modify and check in for your reservation online, which lets you skip the line and go directly to your rental upon arrival. Alamo also offers last-minute deals and other savings options.

How do you rent a car from Alamo?

When you select your rental car online or in the Alamo app, you have multiple options for body style and vehicle type. Alamo offers both automatic- and manual-transmission cars, SUVs, vans and trucks, including economy, fuel-efficient, luxury, sports and muscle cars.

Once you make a reservation, you can modify or cancel it using Alamo’s website or the app. On the day of your reservation, you have the option to check in online and go straight to your rental when you arrive.

Alamo prices

Alamo rentals typically cost from $90 to $160 per day and $300 to $800 weekly. Small economy cars usually fall at the lower end of the range; you’ll have to pay more for large premium vehicles. The company offers many deals and coupons, including for last-minute rentals, military personnel, one-way travels and upgrades. Be sure to factor in the costs of add-ons, insurance and the cost of gas. Alamo might also charge a fee for drivers aged 21 through 24.

Alamo FAQs

How much is the rental deposit for Alamo?
Alamo doesn’t charge rental deposits for reservations. However, it does place a hold on your credit card for the anticipated total.
What discounts does Alamo offer?
Alamo offers military, last-minute and partner discounts. You can apply coupons and promotion codes during checkout. Sign up for the free Alamo Insiders membership for additional discounts.
Does Alamo charge a one-way fee?
Yes, Alamo charges a one-way fee, known as a “drop charge.” The amount of this fee varies by rental location and time of year.
Can you rent a car from Alamo with a debit card?
No. You must rent a car with a valid credit card in your name. This is required both online and in-store.

Is Alamo a good company?

Alamo is an established car rental company with competitive pricing and extensive vehicle options. Note that it requires a credit card for all rentals and usually charges a fee for drivers under 25. You can easily book and modify your reservation online or with Alamo’s mobile app.

Alamo Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alamo Car Rental?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

The worse experience ever!! NEVER again Alamo.. I had to wait for exactly 52 minutes after I signed the paperwork to get my SUV. Even though I had a paid reservation #**. The problem was not only the wait but also the bad attitude and lack of professionalism of the saleswoman involve. She kept saying..." you'll get your car when it's ready", "We can't help you" "We all sold out, so you have to wait". I went to the counter and asked her to give me an update after 30 minutes, she said, "Move over so I can take the next customer or I will call security!!!" VERY disappointed... I will use any other company next time. I'm in Asheville, NC.

Trust me, you don't want to be in this situation. PICK ANOTHER COMPANY.

Alamo Car Rental response

Marwan, thank you for sharing. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Beware of a trick to charge extra:

1. Upon renting, all scratches, marks, dents are carefully logged. We focused on all the usual spots - no one paid attention to the short rubber antenna on the roof.

Upon return, the agent 'discovered' what looked like an animal chewed the tip of the antenna. I was charged $80 for a replacement. I cannot prove it, but I would bet that the antenna will not be replaced and the next renter will be charged another $80 for the same antenna.

2. We returned the car a day early and expected a refund for the last day which we did not use. Standard procedure for every rental I ever had. The refund was refused under the excuse that everyone could rent for an extended period to get better daily rates and then return the car early. Not true - when I booked online, the same rate applied regardless of whether I scheduled 7 days or 30 days.

3. I got a ticket (speed trap) while driving and Alamo charged $60 just for "administrative work" to pass my contact information to the police.

Bottom line: Alamo offers good prices, but gets its revenue through extra charges that are unusual and potentially 'dirty tricks' to get another few bucks here and there. Beware!

Alamo Car Rental response

Christian, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

We reserved a jeep at Norfolk VA airport. We arrived early and found Alamo had a sign up telling customers to go to sister company Enterprise, next counter over. The line was extremely long - we waited well over an hour and heard a lot of bad information from others as they left the line. Finally our turn - the manager tells us there is no Jeep. We must go sit down and wait. After much time we approached and ask and he said we would not get a Jeep - it had come back with a flat tire or chipped windshield??? How could he not know which? I told him we can change a tire, yet he said we could only have this other vehicle a ford edge, or nothing. We had already seen one lady declined a vehicle, so we were very concerned at being without a vehicle and 2000 miles from home. This is absolutely Unacceptable customer service.

How can they do this to people legally. They did the same to my family who traveled even further - except their replacement was decent. Ours was filthy and had some damage on inside. I took photos and would love to show them! I called Alamo to explain the suv had some damage and was filthy. They ask if we could still drive it, so we agreed reluctantly. Then I received an email asking me to contact my insurance to pay for damages - I was furious! Horrible customer service!!! I had time stamped photos to prove it was damaged previous to our driving it, and the call to alamo also!!! We will never use alamo or Enterprise again and will encourage others to avoid them also!! Or do so at your own risk!!!

Alamo Car Rental response

Carol, we'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

This company cares nothing about the consumer. You are charged upfront without any cancellation accommodations and worst of all they charge your credit card an extra deposit of $400 even if you use a credit card. People please stay away from this company. Their lack of concern for the public will cause them eminent company failure.

Alamo Car Rental response

Vaden, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

*I tried to give them a zero star rating, but that wasn’t an option. September 3rd I rented an SUV from SeaTac rental car facility for a trip to Utah. While I inspected the vehicle, I didn’t inspect the tires, since tire tread wear and the overall maintenance of the car should be taken care by the company. While driving, I noticed that when applying the brakes at 65-70 mph the entire steering wheel would shake! I continued driving since Alamo customer service wasn’t opened... In Idaho while fueling up, I happened to look down at the tires and noticed the outer tread of both front tires were noticeably worn down, and the two back tire were a different brand and type of tire than the front.

Once customer service was opened I spoke with a representative that offered me the solution of driving to the nearest Alamo (Idaho Falls airport) to exchange the vehicle for another one, which was a suggestion I was on board with. Driving an hour outside my intended route, I arrive to Idaho Falls airport, call the Alamo rental office and speak with Blaine, who proceeds to tell me they have not received any information regarding my concerns for the car and will NOT be able to exchange the vehicle If they deem the car's tires in good condition or find the steering wheel doesn’t shake while applying the brakes.

Blaine and Zach (states he’s the manager) meets me in the returns parking lot with a tread depth tool to check the tires and says “there’s enough tread in the tires,” so we’ll need to drive the car to check the steering. I explained to both of them, my father is a certified mechanic and has been for 35 years with a reputable automotive shop, so I know when tires are worn or when rotors need to be changed. That information didn’t stop them from telling me they did NOT feel the steering wheel shake after they took it for a spin and he would NOT be able to exchange the vehicle. So, I then offered Zach to come ride along with me to ensure he was feeling what I felt when driving.

We get on the freeway, take the next exit and voila, the entire steering went shake and you can feel the shake in the front seats. I asked Zach, “did you feel that?” He was hesitant and said “no, actually, yes.” Then proceeds to insult my intelligence even more by asking about the route I drove to get to Idaho Falls, as though I was the one who caused the front end of that rental car to shake. I kindly told Zach, “do NOT try to blame me for Alamo not doing their job in inspecting this car and making sure they’re mechanically safe to drive.” We get back to the rental facility and Zach asked if I was going to take the car and I told him, “yes, when I get back to Seattle, I will have the car inspected by my father's shop and have it certified that all concerns I have will be documented when I return the car.” Zach decided that he’d exchange out the vehicle.

This entire situation was an absolutely asinine and a headache dealing with these two (Blaine & Zach) employees. I guess they didn’t believe me due to my height, my weight or maybe it was because I wore glasses? Whatever, their excuse was, it wasn’t good enough to be dishonest and truthful all in one breath. However, this has taught me a valuable lesson, NEVER do business with Alamo!

Alamo Car Rental response

Halina, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I am reviewing two separate experiences using Alamo - both diabolical. Firstly, my husband rented a car with the pick up location being Los Angeles but subsequently decided to fly out of San Diego and assumed there would be an additional charge to drop the car off at a different location. What he didn't expect was to be informed that the additional fee would be over USD $2,500!!!!

To compound the situation, when he questioned the exorbitant fee with an Alamo representative named Geneva - she refused to provide her surname - in the Customer Service Escalation Department, she kept repeating a robotic dialogue which is obviously a script for so-called customer service representatives to reel off. When Geneva was asked to escalate the issue to a manager, she refused and said she was the person to deal with - futile considering she did absolutely nothing but repeat the same thing over and over in the same monotone voice - one could be mistaken for thinking it was a recorded message except for the fact that she most definitely had attitude!!!

The second incident was where I rented a car through Alamo in the Republic of Ireland and attempted to extend the rental period. I had initially paid €1,099 for 26 days car rental and had wanted to extend for an additional 31 days. I was quoted €3,000 as a "special". I was also charged a toll fee with a penalty despite having paid the toll online. The toll should have cost me €3.10 but after paying for it in duplicate and being charged an administration fee which meant that I paid €14.70 for one toll!! I rented through a competitor for less than half the price quoted by Alamo and was given a superior car, a hybrid with only just over 300 km on the clock.

Alamo Car Rental response

Anna, we're happy to address this rental contract modification with your husband directly. Please have him email care@alamo.com with his full name, contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I booked a rental through Expedia-one price paid for air and auto rental. At the time the least expensive vehicle was actually a BMW SUV. When I arrived at Logan I was told to wait in a certain area of the garage while other people were in line. No employees wore any shirt or uniform, finally I asked someone where Alamo employees were-around 3:00 p.m.on Sunday July 18, 2021. I was told there was no one working that day.. Someone would help me. A guy from National or Enterprise walked me to a Lincoln SUV. I was so ready to just get out of there I didn't ask where the BMW I booked was, and supposedly the only vehicle available.. The Lincoln's service light was on, so I backed back and waited again for someone. I was walked to an area and told I could take any vehicle I wanted. As I have a Rogue I said if there's one I'll take that.

On the way out the girl at the "toll" part of the lot said she'd adjust the price, but I'd have to show what I paid for the Premium SUV vs the Nissan SUV. As I didn't have it on my phone (and cars behind me) she said call office. Expedia did send me the breakdown, and when I returned the car the manager Vladimir said he could not adjust the price from the premium I booked to the SUV class I rented because I paid Expedia-call them. I called Expedia and they researched it and said I had to contact Alamo, though I told them Alamo said they couldn't refund me as I didn't pay THEM.. The run around is very annoying-I paid for a premium SUV and they had many others that day, and what I took was not a premium-so I should only have paid for the class I got.

Alamo Car Rental response

Robin, thank you for your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

It has been the worst car rental experience for me. I had rented a mid size car but I was given a small car despite my advance booking. Alamo charged me the same even though the car was smaller. Further, I did not realize at the beginning that the AC was not working but as I drove to warmer places, it became unbearably hot inside the car. I called Alamo customer service more than once but got nothing other than sweet talk. I ended up completing rest of my family holiday in a car that frequently became unbearably warm. It turned out to be a nightmare. I do not think I will rent an Alamo car ever again.

Alamo Car Rental response

Diwesh, thank you for sharing this with us. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I paid for an Alamo rental car through Allegiant Airlines, combining my airfare with a car rental. I paid over $1,000 for just the rental of the car, which according to the Allegiant app included all fees associated with the rental. However, not according to Alamo. After returning the car Alamo charged my credit card for an additional $244 for the same fees covered in the payment through Allegiant. They claimed it was Allegiant who did not disclosed the additional charges. It is a classic case of both parties blaming the other business is at fault. Renter beware! I won't be renting another car from Alamo or any of the companies associated with them simply because I can no longer trust they will reveal the full cost till after the car is returned.

Alamo Car Rental response

Leroy, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. At your convenience, please email Care@Alamo.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Almost always book my cars through Costco portal. Costco has Enterprise and Alamo (same company). Was trying to get a larger SUV in Charleston, SC about three months before we were there. No dice. Checked back periodically just in case. No dice. Our flight out was delayed by several hours. Land in Charleston at midnightish. Ask the customer service rep (at the rental counter in the airport where you check in) if there are any larger SUVs available. No dice. Walk out to get our minivan (what we originally booked but never wanted to). Get to the lot of cars and a customer service rep out there comes up to me and has 10 larger SUVs set up in a display line (Suburbans, whatever GMC's version is, the big Nissan, etc). She then immediately asks if we would like to upgrade. My response was yes...what I originally wanted and what I had been trying to do for the past three months and in the airport itself.

She says OK....that will be $75 more per day???? While I wholeheartedly agree that it should be more, I have been down this rodeo in the past at peak travel times. Basically got the same type of vehicle for a bout 1k for a slightly longer time and not the whole bait and switch method (first time I had been down that path with this company). Called customer service to talk...no dice....took me four times to actually get someone to talk to me who could somewhat make a decision. Still have not heard back on the bait and switch.

I get that we are in Covid and rental car agencies are ramping back up...but they had 10 full size SUVs...displayed. Hard time believing that wasn't a money grab. And it's really hard to believe that I couldn't reserve one online and the first customer service person didn't know they had an abundance. Also, I filled the tank up right before I returned the car. What did I get on my invoice? A charge for a tank fill up. It literally took me at least four times to call them and have the charge reversed.

Alamo Car Rental response

ROD, I do apologize for any inconvenience. We'd like the chance to address this with you directly. Please email care@alamo.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H.

Alamo Car Rental Company Information