Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

Toys R Us Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2009

New parents to be; wanting to be TOTALLY prepared for the birth of our son. The day we went to pick up our crib (which had been a gift), we purchased numerous other items ($$$). One of which was Crib Tent II. Well, the little guy has been sleeping in a co-sleeper in our room with us. He is soon going to be sleeping in his own crib at night, and in order to keep the kitties out, we got the crib tent. I was just preparing to put it up and on the crib, when looking at the box, realized, it seems to only fit Standard Cribs. I called Tots In Mind, Inc. who is the manufacturer of the tent we bought, and it does not in fact fit convertible cribs, and at this time, they do not make one. SO, with receipt in hand, I called Babies R Us, who's manager fella told me all they could do was return it as though I did not have a receipt, even though I did, because it was past 90 days. This would be the lowest sale price, most likely way less than what we paid for it. Then in turn, they would sell it for FULL VALUE! Ya, NOT! (sorry for the caps). He suggest I call headquarters at 1-800-Toys R Us, so I did. They were just as unhelpful as him. So, here I am, with a Crib Tent that has never been opened, and I cannot use...nor can I return it. It's totally worthless to me. Very disappointed, as my little guy is only 7 months old, you realize I have an entire child hood to purchase toys and such for him. Too bad it won't be at Toys R Us or Babies R Us now. VERY SAD!

In addition...about a month ago, I went to Toys R Us, to exchange a toy. Not for the same thing, but of same value. I had a coupon the day I bought the item I was exchanging. They refused to honor the coupon discount for something that was the same price, same manufacturer even.
    Original review: Nov. 2, 2009

I have been trying to get my broken WII fixed since 8-4-09. They said it was unrepairable that it needed replaced, then sent it back to me. They said I needed to send it to Sony, I was to wait on a lable. Then I was told it needed to go to Nintendo, to wait on that lable. I call about once a week and I always get the runaround. I am suppose to be waiting on another lable 8 different times. Then I was told they could email it, then I was told they couldn't. Meanwhile I still have a broken wii.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2009

Initially was going to place an order of items selected from my grandson's wishlist for his 4th birthday. When I went to pay with my Mastercard debit card I was unable to match my billing address to what Toys R Us had listed. I ended up cancelling the order and decided to just print the wishlist and go to the local Toys R Us and buy the items in person. However, Toys R Us put a hold on my credit card account for the amount of the total sale even though I cancelled the transaction over the weekend. After several days, I contacted Toys R Us about the hold and they said it would naturally fall off but I said I wanted it removed immediately since I had never placed an order. The person taking the call said she would relay the information that the hold be removed the next morning, Thursday, 10/29. Two days later, the hold is still in place and Toys R Us are trying to place responsiblilty on the bank. I had been to the bank and they had explained, until Toys R Us removes the hold or processes the transaction so I can reject it, they cannot do anything about the hold. Toys are Us are saying its really too late to do anything for the weekend, that I will have to want until Monday. So now I am expected to wait another weekend while they tie up my bank account. They are unbelieveable.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2009

I made an online purchase at Toys R Us for 2 dolls for my nieces to match their Halloween costumes. One doll was a Barbie Bride. The other doll was a Hannah Montana doll. I received an email from confirmation from Toys R Us that both items were IN STOCK and would ship in 2-3 days.

Several hours later I recieved an email from Toys R Us titled "Your order has been cancelled". When I read the email, it turns out they only cancelled part of the order, saying the Hannah Montana was not available. I immediately called Toys R Us customer service to cancel the rest of the order. I did not order one doll, I ordered 2 dolls, and I did not need or want 1 doll when I had 2 little girls to buy dolls for. Toys R Us told me they cannot cancel the remaining part of the order because that is "their policy", even though it had not shipped. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told the same thing. I then sent an irate email to customer service explaining what happened. The following day I received an email from Toys R Us telling me they shipped the part of the order they had refused to cancel. Then I got a phone call from Toys R Us saying they could "try" to contact UPS and ask them to reroute the order the order back to Toys R Us. I said why did you ship it in the first place? It's not like I changed my mind and cancelled it. THEY cancelled half my order, and I gave them plenty of notice to not ship the partial order. The following day I got another call from Toys R Us saying they asked UPS to reroute the order back to them. 5 days later I received an email from Toys R Us saying they credited my credit card "for the purchase price". They itemized the credit as having credited my card for the price of the doll and for the sales tax, but not for the shipping. How are they going to advertise an item as available and in stock, send a confirmation saying it's available and in stock, then send another email a few hours later saying it's not available at all, then refuse to cancel the remainder of the order, then charge me to ship an order they never should have shipped in the first place?
    Original review: Oct. 29, 2009

Place pre-order (#7551629765). I received an email form Toyrus stating "Unfortunately, due to an unexpected technical issue, your order was accidently cancelled" and "If you would still like to purchase this item, please contact us at 1-800-TOYSRUS (869-7787) and we would be happy to replace your order. When you call, be sure to have your old order number ready and let us know that you would like to reorder the Zhu Zhu Pets Giant Hamster City Playset. Please call us before 11/03/2009 so that we can ship your order by the week of 11/23/2009" I called the listed number on 10/28/09 and was told there was nothing they could do since the item was not listed in their website and I would have to watch the website myself and order when it becomes available. Not only is this terrible customer service, Toyrus does not make good on their promises.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toys R Us?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2009

We purchased a Intex 12' x 36" Easy Set Pool in June of 2009 which turned out to be the most defective product on the market. We purchased this pool for one hundred dollars on sale. Upon set up it kept collapsing and had a leak in the ring. Because we couldn't USE the pool we tried to return it, only to be told very rudely by the store manager Guess what? it is non returnable, in so many words too bad for us..no signs posted in store about this policy, no mention on the receipt or by the cashier, nothing. Called corporate who told me they would have someone call me back to discuss..never heard from anyone. Lesson learned? If I want poor customer service I'll go to another famous retailer where at least the prices are better. Thank God for capitalism and competion. I will NEVER shop at Toys R Us again because of this experience. How do you sell a product, pocket the profit and not back the quality of what you are selling. Horrible business practice.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2009

Toys R Us had an online advertisemt that stated if you purchased Guitar Hero 5 bundle or game a bonus of the guitar hero Van Halen would be mailed to you. The link had no expiration date, no information that it had expired. I was on the phien for over 2 hours, was disconnected 3 times and spoke to 7 differnt people. It is a violation in Truth in Advertising. I was told that the staff would honor it but now they reomved it from the website. I have a printed copy that states the promotion.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2009

We purchased our son a power wheels fisher price kawasaki on May 12 2008. While we were purchasing the item the sales associate "pushed" us into buying the warranty. My husband asked her would it cover if our son wrecked it she said " It will cover everything but the battery", so he looked the whole entire plan over and said ok. Well less than one year later there were holes in both tires we called the warranty department and they said "you have to call powerwheels we dont cover the first year." Well we did power wheels sent us the tires no problem. Well September 2009 holes in the tires again so I called the warranty department They said that they dont cover "normal wear and tear and they dont cover the plastic." Well on the front of the warranty it says in big letters "FAILURES FROM NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR" but inside under the what is covered for service plans it says "We will repair or replace the product, at our descretion, when required due to breakdown, including those experienced during normal wear and tear,which is not covered under any other warranty or service contract." So basically they dont have to cover it unless they feel like it. Well they don't. It was interesting though that they had a totally different contract that they read me when I called. There was a whole section just listed for power wheels they must have "forgotten" to put in my terms and conditions when I purchased it. They did however tell me that I can write to the Cancellation department and ask them for my warranty refund or go to the store and ask them. I called toysrus corporate and I am waiting on a call back on whether they will refund me or not.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2009

Sunday 10/4/09 I placed an order online for Nintendo DSi pink with 2 coupon codes that specified for pin and white DSi only. That brought the price down to $125 + $5.95 shipping. Got a confirmation email and tracking number.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2009

ToysRUs is fooling customers through unclear and shrewd return policy!! the policy says (returning "unused" marchendise within...) and then it leaves the translation of "unused" to the discretion of the store manager and staff. I bought the baby "RestingUP" before receving my new baby. I tried it once and did not comfort my baby so I went back to the store after 13 days of purchase (5 days after receving my new baby) and they refused to return it, saying that the policy is clear and that it must be "unused". My argument with the store manager "Sukhi" that "it is only tried once and returned, nobody will return something without trying it!!" led to nothing but raising her voice and getting more aggressive and rude to force me to end up the situation and leave the store. The final result is that the product was thrown in the garbage and I lost my money!! Horrible customer service and attitude!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2009

I am writing to you in regards to an experience I had yesterday at Toys R Us in Tustin, CA, store 5638.

I have had a number of service issues with this particular store. With the economy what it is now you would think companies would try even harder to keep customers and not drive them away. My experience today had to do with the much advertised buy 2 and get the 3rd free promotion. In my advertisement, which I brought with me to the store today, I was particularly interested in the Disney princesses. Back in the girls toy department there was the promotional sign where I was looking. I asked an employee just to be sure that the dolls I was looking at were part of the promotion. She asked another employee and they said yes. I then picked out: My First Disney Princess Baby Aurora $14.99 Disney Princess Tiana $10.99 Disney Princess Shimmer Snow White $10.99 The coupon and posted sign said the promotion excluded collectors dolls and these dolls were not. When I got to the register, Bella, my cashier was very helpful in getting me (I think) a manager as the promotion wasn’t ringing up. I had the coupon in hand but that did not seem to make a difference. The manager said it applied if The Disney Princess logo was on the outside of the box and the Tiana doll logo was on the inside of the box! Are you kidding me? I put back the items as they were not going to honor the advertised promotion. My instinct got the better of me and I came home to log on to www.toysrus.com to look at the promotion online. Lo and behold every doll in my basket qualified for the buy 2 and get the 3rd free promotion. Needless to say I’m a little peeved right now. My experiences at this store have not been great and the service at this Toys R Us and the sister Babies R Us location are so poor I don’t even want to shop there anymore. I liked the selection but the value is not the best and the service is horrible. I ask you, would you keep returning to a store that constantly fought with you about your purchases? I even had a return last year (without a gift receipt) that was definitely a Toys R Us exclusive item and was told by customer service that I was “out of luck.” I will now choose to shop elsewhere with a company that really appreciates my business and is a pleasure to deal with.
    Original review: Sept. 16, 2009

I bought a stroller MARCH 2009 - that broke in the middle connector - where my 1 yr old was holding on for dear life before my wife realized what was happening and stopped before he almost fell out. I bought a new stroller in JUNE 2009 and called the BUYER PROTECTION people and have not received a rebate as of SEPT 2009. They have given me a fax number to send the receipts - but only seem to get there's not the one from Target. I have: 1(406) 727-4480, 1 (406) 787-4480 (doesn't work) & 1(703) 787-0224. This service is a total scam and I WILL NEVER SHOP AT TOYS R US again!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2009

Hello, I purchased 2 Hyper Jump games at Toys R Us for gifts. One gift was opened and defective the other gift I still had not opened. I went to return the broken one and just get a gift card and they denied it saying it was over 90 days. I had the original receipt and purchesed the items on a Toys R Us credit card. They said being Toys R Us to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2009

For the past three weeks, I have been calling Toys R Us and requested a label for my son's broken PSP that is not working and needed to fixed by Toys R Us. I have paid an extra fee for repairs if there is anything needed to be done to the PSP. Each time that I have called, I was assured that a label will be sent through the mail. I have yet to receive one. My warranty is valid until 2010. There is no physical or economic damage done so far. However, it's the dishonesty by Toys R Us that is causing me great concern that my warranty that I have paid for is not being recognized by this company. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2009

Toys R Us return policy:

1. If clothing was purchased from a Toys R Us, it can only be returned to a Toys R Us that sells clothing.
    2. If an item was purchased in Canada, it can only be returned in the US for the lowest sale price in the last 30 days regardless of the purchase price.

3. If you try to return an item to Toys R Us with a gift receipt, you will only receive the equivalent store credit of the lowest sale price of that item regardless of price paid.

These three rules are unacceptable to a consumer. What happened to NAFTA? Why is a gift receipt not honored for its full value paid? Toys R Us has not accepted any of my returns due to these rules and it is robbery!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2009

On the afternoon of August 5th, we went to the Toys R Us store located at 1000 Central Park Ave. in Yonkers, NY. My wife and I wanted to buy our son, who at that time was 13 months old, a little sand bucket. It had rained a lot before we got to the store and when we got into the store, we went straight to the summer aisle where they had the little sand buckets. My son, being 13 months old and not able to walk by himself, was holding my hand and we both ran into a big puddle of water right in the middle of the aisle where we both fell on the ground. My wife couldn't believe what had just happened and neither could I. Everything happened so fast that I only realized we had fallen when we were actually on the ground.

I fell on my knees and on one of my hands and with the other, just tried to help my son who unfortunately hit his head very hard and got a bump on his head right away. He couldn't stop crying and screaming. Poor thing, he was so scared. My wife told me the noise it made was so loud and very scary. They have a customer service close to this aisle and the person who was there at the time came right away, but didn't do anything besides giving us an ice pack to put on my baby's head. The person who was in charge of the store came and asked the lady what had happened and she just said, "There is a lot of water there from the rain." The person just got a sign stating wet floor and placed it over there.

My wife and I couldn't think of anything at the time, we were just concerned about our son and we wanted to make him calm down so we walked with him around the store talking to him, pointing to things, just trying to entertain him. To our surprise, nobody came to ask if we were okay and what had happened there. We were so scared with the accident and with their careless attitude that we decided to just go home. But as we got to the parking lot, I decided that we could not just leave like that felling like invisible people and that whatever that happened with us, they didn't care.

I went back in and complained to the person in charge, who was the same one who had placed the sign where we had fallen. He asked me to fill in a report and asked me, "Nobody asked you to fill this report before?" I almost laughed on his face because he and the other woman were the only one there where we fell and of course, nobody asked us to do this; otherwise, I wouldn't be doing this now. The next day in the afternoon, I got a call but did not answer because I did not know the number. The person left me a message. When I checked my voicemail, I learned that was a call from Toys R Us and she said, "I am calling about the accident that happened yesterday with you and your son. We are really concerned. Please call us back at this number."

I called them back to learn that they close at 4:30. I called them the next day, which was Friday, but nobody answered the phone so after the second try, I left a message saying, "Hi, this is Saulo **. I am just calling because I got your message and I would like to talk to you." I gave my cell number, but nobody called me back. Monday, I received a letter from the same person I was trying to reach, Vicki **, saying "Dear Mrs. **, I was very sorry to learn about the incident that you reported to one of our stores. On behalf of Toys R Us, we would like to express our concern and hope you are feeling better. Due to our inability to reach you by phone, we are sending you this letter. Please call me at your earliest convenience. I can be reached toll free at (800) 524-0898."

I called them right away and again, nobody answered. I tried again the next day, which was already Tuesday and finally, someone answered the phone and said she was going to transfer me to Vicki. I held on the phone for more than 7 minutes until I realized nobody was going to answer it. I tried again and I got someone else on the phone, who also said she was going to transfer me and this time, I got Vicki's voicemail and I again left her a message: "Hi Vicki, this is Saulo **. I've been trying to get in touch with you but it seems that it's kind of hard. I just want to talk to you about the incident that happened. Please call me."

Today is Friday night and I still haven't heard from them and I don't think I will. I am really disappointed with them. They should be more professional and if they don't mean that they care about their customer, they shouldn't say so. My finger is still swollen and fortunately, I did not break it and my son is okay, but can you imagine if I needed any assistance from them? One more thing, hey Vicki, if you can read this message, please call me back because I still want to talk to you, okay? For the many times I called you and left you a message, you must have my phone number on file by now and just in case you're wondering, it's still the same number so call me.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2009

I was given inaccurate information about the return adjustment by two employees at the facility. I am requesting price adjustment.

Original review: July 22, 2009

In April, I purchased a gift card worth $200 for my son and daughter-in-law's baby shower. When they attempted to use it a few weeks later, they discovered that the balance was zero! I called and was told an investigation would be done and I would have to wait several weeks for a call back. None came, so I called again. I was told that someone had used it in Southern California (hundreds of miles from us) and asked if we had ever been there! I was told now that another call would come after more investigation. Again, none came. A third call by me uncovered the fact that they had found out that the card had been used fraudulently and that a new one would be sent to my son.

A month later, no card. I got on the phone and spent two hours trying to get this resolved. Each person I spoke with said that all they could do was send a request for a call back to another department. I kept asking for that person's manager (moving up the ranks). Finally, I was told that another one would be mailed out that day and I should receive it in approximately a week (exactly what I was told the first time!). I said that was not acceptable. I wanted them to over-night the card.

After all, we had been waiting nearly three months to use the $200 they had been given. I was told that was "impossible" and that I should be thankful that they had done the investigation to find the person who had used the card. I told that person it was in no way my fault and I was not responsible for their lack of security on their gift cards. She was very rude and when I asked to speak to her manager, she told me that she was the head of Customer Relations for all of Toys"R"Us.

I didn't believe it for a minute. I got off the line, called the corporate office in Wayne, NJ and told my tale once again (after at least a dozen times). Of course, this girl was not the head of CR, but I sure got some help this time. I was told a new card would be sent out immediately with an extra $10 added to it. Don't bother with the 800 number to get customer service. It doesn't exist with this company. Better yet, don't ever shop here!

Original review: July 22, 2009

I bought a Banzai Sidewinder blast water slide on 6/14/09, and on 7/17/09, one of the foot pockets for climbing onto the slide ripped wide open. I called the store to see about returning it and was told I had to go through customer service for the slide which is ToyQuest. After speaking with them, I was told they should have let me return it. So I am out of $500.00 because Toy Quest will not issue a refund or Toys R Us. Toy Quest has told me they would honor a replacement comparable to the one I purchased but not the same one or a rain check for next season. This slide was only 33 days old. I am still waiting for a response from ToyQuest. I would prefer a refund.

Original review: July 10, 2009

About a month and a half ago, I bought a pool from them. It started to leak. I empty it out and re-leveled the pool. I filled it up again. About a week later, we noticed that the pool was leaking again (a slow leak). I drained the pool again and tried to find the leak. We repaired what we thought was the leak, then we refilled the pool for the 3rd time.

About a week later, the pool started to leak again. Upon my wife's investigation, she found the seam was leaking where the side and bottom meet. I drained the pool again! I have not even had a chance to enjoy the water. Just the draining and the refilling. I went back to the store to return the pool. They said that they cannot return my money. Erica, the manager, said there is signage to say it could not be returned. I went over to where the sign is, and it does state that. But I did not buy the pool in that area.

Also, she said that all salespersons tell the customers that pools cannot be returned. That was not said to me at the time of purchase. I have bought a pool a year (I always give the pool away at the end of summer to another family or a charity) for 10 years at this store! Also, my wife shops at this store for our 5 grandchildren. We will not continue shopping at Toys "R" Us, unless this is rectified. I will be letting all the people I know about this, and I am sure they will also think twice about shopping at Toys "R" Us!

Original review: July 7, 2009

I bought two bicycles ($251.98) and was supposed to pick them up the very next day at 5pm, because the employee needed time to assemble them. But instead of next day, which was July 3, 2009, the bikes were not ready even on July 4, 2009. That all made my time waste and ruin the weekend of my children too. I returned both bicycles at the store, even without seeing them in assembled form.

Original review: June 27, 2009

I purchased an Intex 12' x 20' x 48" above ground swimming pool in June 12, 2007. I loved the pool and enjoyed swimming in it until June 27, 2009. I came home from work to find that one side of the pool had collapsed and water was flooding into my neighbor’s yard. Plastic support parts, plastic button fittings and valve plungers had broken. I had taken out a 2-year service plan when I purchased the pool at Toys R Us. The sales person explained to me that if I should have any problems whatsoever, the protection plan would cover it. I called their 866 number today only to find out that these broken parts are not covered under the plan. The plan only covers pumps and seam separation. I then called the manufacturer and was told that it was out of their hands.

These parts are part of the frame that supports the pool when it is filled with water. Isn't it logical then that if these parts break, they are defective? They can't do the job that they were designed or intended to do. Shouldn't they then be replaced under the service plan at no additional cost to me? Is this a misleading sales ploy on the part of Toys R Us and its sales associates?

Original review: June 25, 2009

I purchased my granddaughter a purple corvette battery-powered ride-on for Christmas 2008. She got to ride on it exactly three times, before the stick shift broke off and it quit running completely. The purchase price for the vehicle was $296.87. I also purchased the Toys R Us Buyer Protection Plan for $64.99. I have been calling and faxing information since May and still have an expensive broken ride-on toy sitting in my garage.

Original review: June 22, 2009

I purchased a $100 gift card for my step grandson in December 2008 and mailed it to him in Utah. He never received it or activated it. I called Customer Service in February 2009 and was told I had to fax in a copy of my original receipt and I would be contacted in 48-72 hours by a supervisor to get my credit card information so it could be credited back to my Visa card.

I called again in March, and still, there's no activation on the card and no credit back to my Visa card. I had the CSR cancel the gift card. Then in April, I was told the same story, and I faxed the same information in. Still, there's no response from a supervisor. Finally, after three more calls in May to Customer Service, a supervisor named Joseph called me and told me the CSRs had all been wrong and that all he could do was issue me another TRU gift card in the original amount. I told him that was unacceptable, based on what all the CSRs had told me and that I wanted a credit back to my Visa card. He refused to do so and became petulant.

I asked for his supervisor's name at TRU's Corporate office, and he gave me the name of Gerald ** at Toys R Us Corporate office in Wayne, NJ. I wrote Mr. Gerald a letter detailing the debacle of customer service I had been subjected to. As of this date, June 22, 2009, it has been almost two weeks; and there's no response from Mr. Gerald. Apparently, the management of TRU is as bad and as poorly trained as the level one CSRs. I will never ever step foot inside a Toys R Us store again!

Original review: June 18, 2009

My fiancee and I received duplicate baby monitors at our baby shower a few weeks ago. Neither of the people that brought the monitors had a receipt, but we were informed that they were both purchased at Toys R Us/Babies R Us. I checked on their website before I traveled to the store to make sure it was in fact an item that they carried. I found the item on their site and it was noted as an "R exclusive". I placed a call to the store nearest to my house 5 times with no answer. When they finally did answer, I explained my case to the sales representative and was told that they generally required a receipt to make exchanges, but since it was obviously an exclusive at their store to bring it in.

Several hours later, we arrived at the store with the product and headed to the return counter. We were met by a lady named Erin. I once again explained the scenario to Erin and told her that the person I spoke to on the phone said that since it was an exclusive item it should not be an issue. The reply that I received was "No, we can't do anything for you. We are Toys R Us and maybe it'll be different with Babies R Us, but we really don't carry any baby supplies here". Slightly frustrated, we excepted the answer and continued in to the store to try and finish up preparation for the baby's arrival. No sooner did we get to the baby section did I see a big display on the end of the isle with several of the same exact monitors we were trying to return. With even more evidence that the monitor in fact came from that store, I returned to the service desk and stated that the monitor that I wanted to return was on display. With a slight attitude, as if she had more important things to do than her job, I was told to hold on for a moment and they would check their system and make sure that it was an exclusive item and they would do a return.

After waiting 5-10 minutes of them searching and not finding the matching item, I took it upon myself to look up the item on my phone so i could speed the process up. Within a minute I pulled up the Babies R Us site and the manufacturer's site to get them the item code number. On both sites it had a big image right next to the item that said "R Us Exclusive. " She searched her computer with the product number I retrieved and found the item and paged her manager to the front. A few minutes later the manager arrived and simply said "do you have a receipt?". Of course we replied with "no", and his response was "no receipt, no return. I know it makes no sense, but I can't do anything for you". In return, I said "so, the only store in this entire country that I could possibly return this monitor to, is you, and you know this and you still can't do anything about it?". With a snide grin he said "pretty much, have a nice day" as he walked away. So, I received false return information on the phone and in the store by 2 different associates, followed by an employee needing my assistance to do her job, then having a store manager high on his false sense of importance talk down to me and my fiancee whom is 36 weeks pregnant. All I can say is that I am left with a horrible taste in my mouth with this entire situation and I will never spend a dime in that store again. My fiancee and I were extremely upset with the way we were treated. She is weeks from delivering our child and doesn't need to have pointless stress dumped on her.

Original review: June 16, 2009

I bought a $1500 swing set from Toys R Us. They give you rewards points for every dollar you spend. So they send me $45 worth of reward dollars. I am in the market for a new stroller, so I go to Toys R Us in Indianapolis, IN and buy the Jeep Liberty sport stroller. Well, when I got home, the sport had plastic stroller tires the size of bike tires like every other Jeep Liberty stroller I had seen. So I decided to exchange it.

I found the Jeep Liberty Limited at a Babies R Us, 90 miles from me. So I go down there to get it. Keep in mind that the day that I bought the stroller originally, it was supposed to be $109 but rang up $119 (didn’t know that until I looked at the receipt when I was exchanging it) and I had a 15% coupon then my rewards dollars for $45. Well, the rewards are processed like coupons, I found out. Once I used them for the first stroller, that amount was tacked onto my new stroller. So essentially, I’m just wasting my $45.

Now I think that is malarkey. I can totally see if you are returning something for a refund, that they would not give you the cash back for the rewards dollars if you are asking for a refund. But if you are just exchanging something and I was, buying a $40 higher item, I think that should carry over. But I had driven 90 minutes and didn’t want to just say screw it. So I paid it. Then I felt like someone had stolen from me.

Original review: June 12, 2009

I purchased a water toy for about $11.00. The toy was defective after we got home and hooked it up. Within 30 minutes, I was back at the store requesting a refund. I was told that all seasonal products are not refundable or returnable. Angry, I left the store and wrote to the corporate office about my experience. Corporate also confirmed that TRU does not stand behind seasonal toys. Being that $11.00 is minimal amount, what if I had purchased a pool worth $500-$1000 that was defective. TRU would not stand behind that either. TRU sells bad products and they know it because they do not stand behind the products they sell. Also, as a reminder, there is nothing in their store (signs, posting) by their seasonal products that state they will not be refunded or exchanged or even on their refund policy. Also, I was treated like I had a third arm and TRU did not want to be bothered by me.

Original review: June 11, 2009

My daughter received a $50 gift card for Christmas 2007. When we went to use it, the last 4 digits on the back of the card were smudged and unreadable. Toys”R”Us store said they can't take it as legal tender, the register requires the last 4 numbers to complete transaction, take it up with corporate office. I called, and corporate said they can't do anything without the original gift receipt, which we don't have because this was received as a gift. If the numbers are so important, why aren't they imprinted into the card! They are stealing my daughter’s $50 is what they are doing!

Original review: June 11, 2009

Mr. ** is the supervisor I spoke with yesterday from Toys“R”Us corporate office. I have a complaint with them since May 25, 2009. Someone finally called me back from their corporate office on June 10, 2009. My 9-year-old son received gift cards for Toys “R” Us in May. He wanted a computer notebook which they sell. First, I tried to get the money for the gift cards but was told (3 different stores) that the policy is only a store credit. I also had the original receipts that the people gave to me to see if I could get my money back. The model they are advertising on the Web as "new" is close to a year old. I contacted the manufacturer, Asus, and was told there are 7 models after that one that Toys“R”Us is displaying. I picked up the Asus Eee PC 1000 because the 3 stores closest to me didn't have them so we brought it knowing that the store in Brunswick, NJ had it. Since that was their policy I took the newest model they had. I paid $375.00 with tax. I was told by the manager, which he was reading the specifications that were given to him, that it was 16 GB hard drive and the operating system was Windows XP. Well, I come to find out the operating system is Linux which I don't believe me nor my 9-year-old son would know about it. I was willing to work with Toys”R”Us and pay the difference, which is only $25.00 more for the Asus Eee PC 1000HE.

This model is not the newest, but it’s newer than the one they are selling and had good write-up about it. Its operating system is the XP Windows and the hard drive is 160 GB compared to the one I got of 40 GB. Mr. ** basically told me their policy again and that they cannot order that specific model (1000HE) for me. I was still trying to work with them. Mr. ** basically told me to hold on to the gift cards until they get a newer model which could be another 6 months or buy something in their store that we don't want. After all, the gift cards never expire. First of all, this model that Toys”R”Us is selling is close to a year old and I am paying top dollar for. The newest model Asus has out now as of today, 6/11/09, 1008HE, is only $70.00 more and a much better computer. I did try working with them, but they seem not to make any exceptions to the rule. Why should I, as a consumer, be forced to buy an old computer model for this amount of money and tell my 9-year-old he has to wait another 6 months for his birthday gift, if they even get a newer model in that time. Also, Asus informed me that they only deal with corporations and cannot be of assistance to me. My problem is with Toys”R”Us. I feel the bottom line is, just waste $249.00 (gift cards) to buy anything as long as it's in their store or take what we have even though it's not what you want. I was told that that operating system, Linux, is a free software given and anyone could make changes to it. It is really for computer literate people and have needs for it. We don't.

Original review: June 2, 2009

On May 11, my grandson's birthday, I purchased a kid's digital camera (made by Sakar). I am experienced with electronics and an IT professional. Despite my years of experience and hours of trying, I was not able to get the camera to perform correctly. Today, June 2, I returned the camera with its original packaging and all components to the store where I purchased it. I also had my original receipt. I intended to have my card credited since I now have to purchase another camera for my grandson. Instead of crediting my card, I was informed that I could either exchange it for another camera like I was returning (why would I want to do that?) or get a store credit. I explained that I really didn't want a store credit. I wanted my card credited for the purchase.

I asked to speak to a supervisor who promptly informed me that it was an exchange or a store credit. This isn't the first time I've been unhappy with Toys R Us. I informed the supervisor and the employee that I'd never shop at Toys R Us again, but that didn't seem to matter. I hope the entire chain goes bankrupt!

Toys R Us Company Information