1.11/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Toys R Us

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Toys R Us Reviews

Original review: Jan. 3, 2009

I purchased a buyer protection plan for a remote control car. The salesperson told me to just follow the instructions in the brochure she gave me to register the plan online. Trouble is, there is no place on the Toys R Us website to register the plan and a phone call to a number in the brochure was no help. Don't buy one of these plans - it's money down the drain!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2009

Our child received a Christmas gift from my sister, who purchased it at this store while visiting here from New York. We needed to return it so my sister gave us the register receipt so we could get a store credit and get him something in place of it. We did NOT want money, we just wanted a store credit so we could spend it at the Toys-R-Us store. However, these jerks who deserve to be bankrupt told us that it's their policy that if we don't have a Gift Receipt, they cannot give a store credit. Instead, they are REQUIRED to return the money to the credit card on which the original purchase was made. That's ridiculous! They are required to make a 4-year old give his gift back to the giver???? And what if the gift had been purchased with cash? Are they going to hunt down my sister in New York City and give her the cash????? This company should go bankrupt and close for such ignorant policies! We have shopped at this particular store since it opened. We personally spent over $600 there for our 3 children this Christmas. Never again.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Jan. 2, 2009

We purchased a MommyGotta Go Doll for our granddaughter only to find that it speaks only Spanish. Why an area where only 1.9% of the population is of Hispanic decent would you sell a Spanish ONLY speaking doll is beyond me. I have tried to contact the company at both the store and general customer service phone numbers, only to hear a busy signal. A 7-year-old child was brought to tears when she realized that the doll she had dreamed of receiving for Christmas did not speak English. I would be happy to know that your organization helped Toys R US to stock their stores with items more appropriate for the population in their geo coverage areas. Thanks

Original review: Dec. 31, 2008

My grandson received two identical Toys R Us exclusive Star Wars sets for Christmas. We did not have the receipt but thought it wouldn't be a problem since we merely wanted to exchange one of them for another toy. The package was unopened and clearly labeled as a Toys R Us exclusive. When we tried to return it we were told by the store manager that it was corporate policy that no exchange without a receipt or the credit card that was used to make the purchase. When I called the customer service number I was repeatedly told the same thing. Their employees are well trained to repeatedly say this is "Corporate Policy" but when you ask to speak to someone who actually can address corporate policy you get nowhere. This is a ridiculous over the top return policy. Honest people are paying at the expense of the company. I will not shop at Toys R Us and I will spread the word to everyone I know not to shop there either.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2008

I bought a power wheel car from toys r us for the amount of $249.00 but when my son opened it for Christmas he was affraid of it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toys R Us?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2008

My 7 year old son received an XPV Robotic Air Defense remote control flyer for Christmas. After charging it all night( and then some) the darn thing would not work at all. We went to the Bloomington Illinois store to simply echange for the exact same thing and before I even got to the counter-- I was very rudely asked if I had the receipt? This was yesterday mind you, 4 days after Christmas. I replied, no, because it was a gift, and we just wanted the same thing but in working condition. She sd it doesnt matter I must have the receipt or the credit card it was purchased with. Im not sure when their policy changed, but Im fairly certain I have exchanged stuff there before. Also, I know it came from Toys R Us because I was with the person who purchased it for my son. So now, I have an extremely unhappy son and I am beyond mad. We were going to spend some of the other money my son received for Christmas with the store, but we both were so upset we vowed to never shop there again. We promptly went to Walmart and got his other toys there! What an absolute ridiculous policy--ecspecially just after Christmas, and for defective merchandise!! We are done with Toys R us!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2008

On Tuesday, 12/30/08,I purchased six toys on a $2.99 rack. I was charged $5.99. The Assistant Manager,Michelle said that the toys had the wrong model number and that we had to pay the $5.99. However there was no ra $5.99 rack at all. She rudely told us too bad and to leave. Her friend, another employee, threatened me saying "I am off the clock,you can get hurt."Her friend's name started with an "I" but her jacket was covering her name plate partially. i was scared and this is false advertising. Please help and advise.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2008

My niece recieved a gift card from $50 Toys R Us for Christmas and she used it to purchase a video game for $49.99 for Wii game console. She opened the game but does not like the game because it is too complicated. I tried to return the game and have the money credited to another gift card so she could use it to purchase something online and they told me they do not take games back once they have been opened. I asked the clerk how would you know whether or not you like the game if you do not open it and try it and she told me that's why you have to rent it. Well that might work if the store had a rental service but since they do not have one I find it ironic and insulting that they can tell a consumer that they have to first rent a game in order to test it out. Furthermore if the game were given as a gift rather than the gift card she would have to open the game in order to test it out; would she not then be entitled to return or exchange the game. At no time did the sales person ever say to me then or at any other time that I have purchased games from Toys R Us that opened games are not returnable. (Coincidently, I have never had to return a game to them before). They claim the sign is posted in their store; but trust me if it is, it is not nearly as big as the signs luring customers to spend their hard earned cash. The game was purchased on 12/27 and I tried to return it on 12/29.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2008

My son received a video game for a Wii system for Christmas but the only problem is he has no Wii system. The game has not been opened and it has a Toys R Us sticker on the back. Upon trying to exchange it for anything, they told me that if I did not have a gift receipt that I would have to keep it! Now since when does a person give a child a gift receipt, especially when they purchased several gifts at one time!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2008

My seven year old daughter and three year old twins sons received presnets from from brother and sisiter in law at Christams. They were purchased at Toys R Us. Unfortunatley the skates were too small and the trikes were too little for my sons. So Dec 26, 2008, I go to Toys R Us and try to return or exchange them. I was told they would not even exchange them without the receipt. I go home call my sister-in-law she then mails me the receipts as fast as she could(they live in NJ) On Dec 29, 2008, I go back to the same Toys R Us and see the same manager and now they said I cant get my money back because it was a gift receip. They could do store credit. The problem is they dont have the roller skates in my daughter size and they do not sell the big wheels that my sons wanted. So now I have three small children without a Christmas gift and my brothers is out of money. I am being forced to use my money in their stores.

It is a very unfair trick that Toys R Us is practicing. It is a way for them to cut their loses but in reality, they are hurting the very people that keep the store ope. I have five children and money is very precious. My brother buys gifts for them so they can have toys too. Now I have three very sad children. I complied with their rules. I got the receipt now they are playing tricks and being specific about the type of receipt. What is the purpose of a gift receipt if they wont honor it? The store cant not provide the product my children want so they have not held up with their end of the contract. I dont not have a product but they still have my money. Their policies are not posted anywhere, the specicif orginal not gift receipt policy.
      Original review: Dec. 30, 2008

My child got a Toys R Us exclusive gift that she already had for Christmas. I took her in to exchange it *that is all we wanted to do, was get a different craft set for her*. we didn't have the receipt because it was gift. The amazon woman manager at this store said no exchanges without receipt. Doesn't matter if its a Toys R Us exclusive toy or not.

This same woman told the lady in front of me to take her return to Wal-mart they will take everything back. Had this package not been marked a Toys R Us exclusice I would have taken it back to Wal Mart. At least Walmart cares about their customers.
      Original review: Dec. 29, 2008

For christmas my son recieved a drum kit because that's what he really wanted. Well While we put it together he played it for about 1 hour, well one of the polls with the drum is moveable to the kids level, as soon as I moved it it snapped and broke off. So something was already worng with it, that it broke off so easily when it moves around, there was no reason for it to break unless there was something wrong with it.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2008

Purchased for Christmas an Air Hogs Minizero Gravity Car. The compartment that holds the batteries to operate the control had a defect in which one of the springs that holds one of the batteries was missing; therefore, making it impossible to operate.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2008

My 10 year old son received a microscope for Christmas. My husband and I tried over an hour to get it to work. You could not focus it to see any of the slides. We took it back to the store the day after Christmas to exchange it for one that worked. We were told that they would not exchange, credit, return without the receipt.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2008

I, too, wanted to return duplicate gifts (little people sets) that my daughter received for Christmas. Unfortunately Toys R Us really means Us (as in them) when referring to their store as they are the only ones that they care about. I have shopped at that store since I too was a child, and the fact that we can not even exchange our duplicate gift without the receipt is crazy. Especially when we are living in a world that allows us to track every barcode of every item in a store (Walmart does this for their returns without receipts). I called and put in a complaint to the Toys R Us 1-800 number, however, they stated that this the policy. Well, after reading this website I can see that Toys R Us is going to be losing a lot of business. Whatever happened to making the customer happy... I don't want anything unreasonable but an exchange for a duplicate toy. Absolutely ridiculous... what a money making scam.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2008

I have a 16 year old kid who without my knowledge have bought a $280 XBOX 360 computer game at Toys R Us. After talikng to my son, we both agreed it was not a good buy considering the complaints I have heard about the game and that computer game consumes so much time for kids it affects their studies. Unfortunately, my kid (obviously he did not read the fine prints of the receipt) has already opened the box when I saw it. Thinking it would not be an issue, I returned the item to the store the day after it was bought and got a surprise that stores policy for electronic item is no return? when box has been opened. I tried to reason out that my kid hardly used it was in original as bought? condition, but to no avail. I would understand for software, but for a computer game hardware, this policy is incredible. It merely indicates the store's lack of trust for the product they sell. I have initially made some research through the internet and have read a lot of alarming complaints about the product. This makes me more concerned.

This is really disturbing. I thought consumers rights are protected in Canada. I strongly believe that considering the above conditions, as consumer I should have the right to return a purchased product. I would appreciate some advice on how to file a complaint.
      Original review: Dec. 27, 2008

A relative in another state bought a gift from TRU and sent it to us by mail. It is a duplicate gift; we don't need it. I took it to the local Toys R Us store to return it. I was told there was absolutely nothing they would do without a gift receipt. Obviously, I do not have a gift receipt. The item has a toys-r-us identifying sticker on it.

They said to call 1-800-TOYS-R-US. I did so. The phone people also said they would do nothing. This is a terrible -- and ultimately not profitable -- corporate policy. I will never shop there again and I will tell all my friends not to shop there again.
      Original review: Dec. 27, 2008

On December 26, 2008, my family and We went shopping at the Toys R Us department store on Times Square, Manhattan New York. I suffer physically from heart disease and arthritis so when we go shopping the stores we shop at are already pre-determined as trustworthy and helpful.

We went over our gifts and found that the MP3 player did not work, simple we thought, we would bring it back with a receipt and get a new one. We went back in the evening, returned the product and received a new one. My younger daughter decided that a IPOD would be better than a MP3. Being that we have a large family we told her it would be fine. We would just have to go the next day and return it unopended with a reciept for store credit or a refund to get her the orange Ipod she saw at the Apple department at Toys R Us. It's the next day, December 27,2008, 11:00 am and my older son and his sisters went to return the unopended product and go shopping again. They were directed to go the 'Guest Department' on the lower level. They waited patiently on a long line which is understandable because it is the Holiday season and they spoke to a lady named,' Valerie' she took the unopened product, opended it before their eyes and she told them they could not bring it back unopened. My family stood speechless. They asked Valerie to get the manager so that they can speak about the this situation, it was starting to get out of controlled and confusing. She became very rude and made a very unwelcoming facial expression. My family waited and waited until they saw Valerie tell a lady, (whom we later found out was not a manager but also a 'guest associate')to go over to my son and his sisters to speak too. They asked the pretending manager what was her name, she said it was 'Steinmer' she did not want to give her first name. She told them that the product had to be opended because the attendant made a mistake yesterday by giving us a unopended one. They said, 'We had been shopping there for many years. They told her the way we were being treated was very poor. She said, 'The attendant made a mistake yesterday by giving us a brand new one but we they told her, 'Today she had no right to take the brand new unopended product we had and open it up then deny us help and trick us.' It was humulating and degrading that we, the long term supporter of this store would be treated like this. My cell phone and my house phone was being used back and forth to try to speak to someone higher up who would be able to respectfully and properly solve this situation that now we can say had become a problem. I spoke to Joe and another lady on the phone claiming to be a manager and they had told me that the lady was not a manager that we had waited so long to talk to before. Whom was presented to be a manager by Valerie the guest associate attendant. It is 3:00pm in the afternoon and my son and his sisters were exhausted, and terribly saddened from this experience. The prolong waiting, the lieing, the treatment from person to person and Valerie trying to defend her actions was disgraceful. We have family all over the world and we enjoy shopping. We have banned Toys R Us from our list and we will never spend our money in this multi-million dollar store again.
      Original review: Dec. 27, 2008

I purchased 10 video games at Toys R US as gifts for my nieces and nephews. The games were on sale at buy one get $20 dollars off the 2nd title of $39.99 or more. My nephew received a duplicat so he took his gift receipt into the store to do an even exchange for another title at $39.99. The cashier scanned the receipt and told him that he only had a $19.99 credit. I was furious when he called me to let me know this. I've dealt with other stores that would have just done an even exchage as both partiew would end up even. Not Toys R Us...they would get another $20 out of the exchange. I called the corporate customer service line and was told over and over...this is store policy. I refused to let it go and eventually a service rep named Daniel Nelson (236265) explained to me that it should split the $20 discount between the two titles and that there should have been a $29.99 credit. This still did not satisfy me, so I suggested that he call the store and have a $10 gift card waiting so my nephew could get an even exchange. He agreed to this, but when my nephew attempted to exchange the game a 2nd time, they still insisted that the credit was only $19.99 for the game plus $10 for the gift card. I called back to the corporate service line and was told that they could not put me back in contact with Daniel, so I was forced to start from square one with a new rep. Again she kept repeating the corporate policy line and even suggested that before I shopped in their store that I should have looked up their return policy on their website. After refusing to drop it this rep named Jessica finally offered to mail a $20 gift card to make up the difference. Throughout the 4+ hours that it took me to take care of this I spoke with 2 store managers who were of absolutely NO HELP...they also only know how to repeat the line...It's corporate policy. If Toys R Us is going to apply their discounts in the manner that they are, then they should ask each customer which item they would like the discount applied on. I also just found out this morning that my other sister exchanged a game that I gave to her son and was also only given a credit of $19.99. She did not realize that it was a $40 title...as most people would not ask the gift give how much they paid. I have spen thousands of dollars in their stores in my lifetime, but becuase of their refusal to professionaly handle a simple matter they have lost my business for good.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2008

On December 14th, I went into the Jackson, Tennessee store to purchase a $30.00 gift card. The cashier informed me the first transation did not go through, she asked me to swipe my credit card again. On December 26th I received my credit card statement to find out I had been charged twice for the gift card. I went to the store with my receipt and was informed by the manager that the cashier had placed $60.00 on the gift card, and there was nothing he could do. I called the Toys R Us customer service they informed me to contact the the child I sent the card to ask for the additional $30.00 since they used the card on December 19th. Then he hung up on me. I thought this was poor customer service and they took no fault for the cashier's mistake. I will never shop with Toys R Us again!.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2008

On 12/20/08 I purchased a furreal pet toy for my daughter. The sign stated that it was $6.99 today only. Being so close to Christmas, the store was very busy, and the cashier was frazzled as he had to re-ring my order, due to my using the remainder of a gift card as well as a personal check (I do not use credit/debit cards). After Christmas I called the store to report that I had been overcharged 3 times the amount of the sale price. The worker put me on hold, coming back to say she could not find it. I explained again that it was a 1 day sale, asking her to look again. She came back, stating that she had found it, not realizing that it was a 1 day only deal, and that I should come in for a refund. Upon entering the store the cashier was very condescending to me, stating that the item was $16.79, and that was the price she could give me. I asked her to recheck the $6.99 price, which she did, finding that I was right. She stated that since I had not come in within 48 hours of the purchase, that store policy prevented her from refunding the overcharge. She was however going to do me a favor and break policy to give me the amount on a gift card, as I had written a check. When I asked for my money back, she told me store policy requires a 7 day wait for cash back. When I asked how to return an item within 48 hours for the overcharged amount, while writing a check, she repeated store policy. After calling 1800toysrus, they confirmed that this is in fact their policy. I understand the 7 day check writing policy, but how can they overcharge customers, then refuse to give a refund? To me, that is stealing.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2008

Will not take back toys for store credit without reciept. Now my kid has three of everything and I do not want to ask buyers for recipt to spare their feelings...

Original review: Dec. 26, 2008

i had applied for the store credit card which promise 12 month interest free and used it to purchase a power wheel car in december 2007 for approximately $250 but i expected to recieved my bill in the mail with my card , i have not recieved neither card nor any bill and forgot about the charges.The only call i ever recieved from toy r us was in November 2008 when a collection agent call me to tell me i had defaulted on my payment and owe $620 and told me i could setle for $500 but it will remained on my credit report so under protest i paid the full amount and ask for a copy of the statement,which up to date i have not recieved.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2008

We purchased a gift for our nephew from Toys R Us online on the 20th. We paid the guaranteed 2 day shipping rate which was actually more than the item we were shipping. Christmas Eve night we receive an automated email stating that due to consumer demand they were alerted that there was insufficient inventory to fill your order. To be notified on Christmas Eve is an impossible situation and to claim insufficient inventory when it is advertised as instock on the website is false advertising. This is the age of computers and electronic inventory methods. We will not ever purchase anything from Toys R Us in the future.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2008

I went xchange in to exchange a christmas gift my daughter got and I was told that without a reciept they would not help me. I tried contacting corporate and found that the only way to do so is through an email. This is horrible customer service. This store is centered on children and instead they hurt children regularly by such a horrible poilicy. I will NEVER shop at Toys r us again. In fact I just returned $2952.48 worth of gifts to toys r us and bought them elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2008

I just needed to vent right along with the rest of you. I just returned home from Toys R Us today, just 4 days from Christmas. My 6 year old son recieved numerous toys from Cars the movie for Christmas gifts from his family (we meet early for Christmas). His relatives were confused when he said he wanted cars toys for Christmas he just meant Matchbox or hotwheels types.

We just dicovered the Toys r us ridiculous return policy. Two of these toys were Toys R Us exclusives and they still would not let us exchange them for another. We simply wanted store credit. Given the state of the economy, looks like Toys R us will be hurting bad when thousands of little children arent able to return their Christmas presents. Lord help the poor horribly paid employees working those return desks after Christmas. AND I KNOW their wages. I was a department head at Toys r us for seven years back in the early 90's, Greed ruled the business and Coporate took the spoils. Back then we gave what they called geoffrey-Dollars to basically anyone that retured something(And customers didnt even like that) but this new policy is a killer. It will shut the doors on TRU without a doubt in a matter of year. And considering what i saw from Corporate back in the 90's that may be the plan. I have shopped there ever since leaving the company but did not realize until to day that they had changed returns. I spend probably just under $1000.00 yearly on gifts for all my Children and relatives. I WILL NEVER EVER shop at TRU again and will tell everyone that listens to do the same. The ironic part of this is that at my managment training meetings the first rule back then was NEVER send a customer away disapointed.
      Original review: Dec. 19, 2008

I purchased 2 Nintendo Wii consoles on Sept 30, 2008. When I purchased them I explained that we were leaving for Florida and would be gone for a month and would these be returnable as they were Christmas gifts for my grandchildren ane I just wanted to be sure. The sales person said yes and so spent almost $600.00 which I had the clerk ring up seperate so I would have 2 individual receipts in case they had to be returned. When we returned from Florida my one grandson had decided that he would rather have an XBOX system but the day we went to return the Wii my husband had a stroke and was in the hospital and that took up my time and attention. When everything settled down I took the Wii and the receipt back to the Toys R Us store and explained what happened and ask to return the Wii and I was going to purchase the XBOX but they refused saying that it was past 45 days. The box had never been taken out of their bag or opened and I ask if I could just do an exchange or get a store credit and again they refused.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2008

I purchased my sons x-mas present on Nov 19, thinking I had plenty of time for it to come in. On Dec. 5 I received an email stateing that my purchase was sent back to the wharehouse.. It took them alomst a month to return me my money. Customer service was horrible I had 2 represntives hang up on me and got transfer over and over agian, I was finally able to reoer the item a month after my orginal purchase due to the fact it took them that long to returnmy money. I called to check on it 2 days after my order and the women on the phone said that it was leaving the wharhouse that day. Them around 4 pm that day they sent me another email stating that my order was canelled. They offered me a 10% discount if I ordered it agian when it was in stock, but I could not use this discount in the store on the same item . needless to say they ruined my christmas for my son He has no present and I do not have money to replace his opresent until TOYSRUS deciedes to return my money

Original review: Dec. 16, 2008

I HAVE USED MY CHASE TOYSRUS CREDIT CARD IN THE AMT. OF OVER $5000.00 AND YOUR COMPANY REFUSES TO GIVE ME THE 1 POINT PER EVERY DOLLAR SPENT AS PER YOUR WRITTEN POLICY.ONE OF YOUR SERVICE REPS GAVE ME SOME CRAP---THAT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL---TELLING ME IT'S CONFUSING ETC. ETC.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2008

I purchased a 400 dollar waterslide and paid 50 dollars for the Buyer Protection Plan. I asked several questions about the coverage. I was assured by the idiot cashier that EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN is covered. Of course, once I registered the BPP and had to file a claim, I realized I had been duped. It is a Repair/Service Plan -- NOT a replacement plan. I have to mail the slide off (um, it weighs hundreds of lbs) and get it repaired. I think these idiots must get a bonus for selling this worthless protection plan. They'll say anything to get you to agree. So ALL my purchases are now made ANYWHERE but TRU. I hope they go bankrupt.

Toys R Us Company Information