1.92/5
Based on 12 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

17 Scholastic Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I'm a parent, not teacher, but I have never had a problem with any book order. I use the code the teacher provides. Every time I place an order online, it clearly has her name. I can see all my orders and status under account history. I pay online, never had a problem. The books usually arrive to school in under 2 weeks. Always get what we order. Never had any of the problems I've seen below. Ordered 3 times this school year. Have gotten a lot of clearance books.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I know kids can get excited about ordering books but if you can just order through Amazon. I thought I would be making it easier for myself and the teacher by ordering online. BIG mistake. Every time you call it's one rude person after the next. This time I got rude ** Jennifer. Anywho I waited over a month and nothing. My order never showed up in the teacher's cart. When I called the first time they said it was fixed and it got lost in cyberspace (I wish you guys could see me rolling my eyes).

So I then informed the teacher that she could place the order. She still didn't see anything. So I called again this time to simply cancel. Jennifer then tells me it's the teacher's fault and that the order won't ship if the promo is over... (That's a little backwards Jennifer). I also feel like they should have honored the promotion since it was their fault for the delay anyway BUT lesson learned. I will never order books through Scholastic again. Oh they like to hang up on you too.

Scholastic 17 Reviews and Complaints - Read Before You Buy

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I accepted a check from a parent in Sept to forward in to Scholastic. The check was mailed on the day I placed the student's order online. Two months later (it is now mid-November), I get an invoice from Scholastic saying I owe them $35 from the book order placed in Sept. The student's books were delivered and sent home with them in Sept. This morning, when I called Scholastic's customer service, I was told the check did not clear and to request another form of payment from the student's parent. I was very embarrassed and angry for having to do this, as I am a teacher, not a bill-collector for Scholastic. Unfortunately I now have an unpaid balance with Scholastic, unless the parent makes a deal with Scholastic (which they have no requirement to do).

It would be a different story if I could cover the money for this parent's bad check. Because of this issue, I will no longer send home order forms with my students. I have been a Scholastic customer for 10 years now, and have diligently handed out order forms, which overall, helped Scholastic increase their business. I beg teachers not to do business with this company...or at least understand what will happen if one of your parents makes bad on a check. It will be your name and your credit score...

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Just like most parents, my child regularly comes home with Scholastic book order forms and asks for at least one book. I usually order the books for her. A couple weeks ago I agreed to the book and sent in the cheque to the school. A couple days later her teacher emailed to let me know that Scholastic has asked for an extra $5.00! Nowhere on the form did it say there were extra fees. It made no sense to pay an extra $5.00 on an $11.00 item. I refused to pay them extra money and as a result, my daughter was disappointed she wouldn't be getting the book she wanted. The whole thing seems shady to me. How can they ask for more money when nowhere on the form is there a shipping fee or minimum order. I will NEVER order from this company again and her teacher has been informed to no longer send those order forms home with her. Greedy, shady company!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

Our students are usually thrilled to receive their book order forms. Sadly, a student ordered a book/magazine and discovered it contained inappropriate material, so she returned it & her parents requested a refund. That was months ago! I've been corresponding with Scholastic via email to resolve this issue, but this family continues to wait for a refund that was promised in September. If you want to return something, be careful. You may never receive your refund.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Scholastic?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

I am a licensed In-Home Day-Care provider. I have been ordering from Scholastic for several years. The last two attempts to order have been less than pleasant. Along with my order, I have tried to purchase items that are on clearance and instead of removing the items from the website when they are no longer available, they send replacement items that they pick. I would rather just know the items are no longer available. It is totally frustrating and hard to place dollar amount orders for free shipping and bonus points. So I decided to longer purchase from them. I will try and find my items at Ollie's or a book store.

Resolution response: Sept. 9, 2016

A Scholastic representative reached out to me and apologized for the inconvenience. She also assured me that the two other attempted orders I placed will not be charged on my card. In addition, I was able to place an order successfully. I appreciate that they reached out to me to resolve the issue.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I am a parent who attempted to place a book order for my child's school book fair through the Scholastic website. I entered the class code and my account correctly reflected the school and teacher's information. However, once I attempted to place the order, an onslaught of issues began. I tried to place the order but I got a message saying the order did not get through. However, they charged my credit card. I tried placing the order again with another credit card but I still got the same message and again, they charged this credit card too. I sent an email to request to get the issue resolved. In response, I get two emails: One said the email didn't go through.

The other email said it did go through and I would be contacted in a business day. There was still no response after a business day. At this point, I called Scholastic. They attempt to find the school information and are unable to, despite the information being in my account information on the Scholastic website! There's no record of my child's school in the system. How is that possible if my child's information is clearly in my Scholastic account? I'm extremely frustrated at this point and ask for a refund for both of my credit cards that were charged. They said they can't refund it and I have to go through my child's teacher? This is one of the worst customer service experiences by far.

Original review: June 19, 2016

I used to work as a preschool teacher and one of our annual activities is having a book sale with Scholastic. I loved this time of the school year because I love books, including children's books, and they have a great selection. They not only have story books, they also have activity books, stationeries, fancy writing materials, diaries, among other things, that are great for children and their friends to use or work with.

I have bought several items for my daughter and myself from those book sales. To name a few, I bought The Hunger Games Trilogy, two very cute dinosaur pens, a colored encyclopedia, a beautifully illustrated math book for kids, a box of materials for making friendship bracelets, and a box of magnetic dress-up dolls with outfits from different nations.

Unlike the opinion given in one of the reviews I've read here, I don't think that their items are junk. In fact, in contrast to the excessive exposure to gadgets and devices that tend to shorten the attention span of children, tolerate instant gratification, and neglect, more often than not, their gross motor skills, they offer way better alternatives of keeping children occupied. In fairness to those who complain about the membership, though, it was never a problem for me as that is not how it works here in the Philippines. There's no instant membership that requires me to keep paying after an initial purchase so I guess it's easier for me to appreciate them.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2015

My husband ordered for my birthday Harry Potter hardcover box set. It costs 112$ plus 20$ shipping for the 1 business day shipping. It has been 4 days and the order is still processing.

Original review: June 23, 2015

I have been ordering from Scholastic's Book Club for years. This past year I was delayed in making the last payment for an order. Instead of giving me access to pay online, they blocked my account so I had no access except to view past history. I emailed them several times about this and no response from them. I finally emailed them back when they sent me an emailed invoice. They told me I would have to pay over the phone or mail payment. I called and the hold time was long. We do all bill payments online and with Billpay. This is such a sorry way to do payments with customers. I will never again do business with them. The bill was $20.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

Prices are good, however, it is currently past 48 business hrs, all the books are in stock and they still are "processing" my order. Customer service seemed offended by me telling them that their competitor Amazon is delivering (not shipping) the books within 48 hours.

Original review: July 30, 2014

They kept sending books and was told to cancel my order. I had to stop paying them for the books to stop. Scholastic referred me to a collection agency. However it's been over 7 years before I found out.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2010

They keep charging me extra on each order. I pay the correct amount and then received a statement saying I still owe money. This has happened at least twice.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2007

I purchased some Scholastic books through school for my child, not knowing this was a Club. After receiving the initial order (which I paid for), I received a package at home addressed to my child. It seems we were now signed up for this club. Along with the magazine, there was an invoice. At that point, I contacted Scholastic to find out why we received this package and why there is a bill. They said it was a club and each month we would receive more junk. I said no, cancel this right away. The following several months we continued to receive more junk from Scholastic. I called them again and was told there was no record of my canceling this club. I have not received anything since my last phone call to them, but now I am being pursued by a collection agency.

I believe this is now on my credit report via North Shore Agency, Inc. (collection agency). This is not fare business practice on Scholastic's part.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2007

My daughter received a product and returned it by mail. She was of the mistaken belief that this would be acceptable and that she certainly wouldn't have to be a victim or harrassment for $15.48 (cost of product). Now she is being harrassed by a collection agency for this account. A delinquent notice was received and a phone call was made to Scholastic on 12-7-06 at which time the customer service agent for Scholastic said the account was cancelled. Another delinquent notice was received and a call to Scholastic was made on 6-30-07 (Teresa); stating account was closed and balance was zero.

A notice from North Shore Agency Inc (collection agency) statement of recovery saying this account was turned over to them for collection. Call made to Scholoastic on 9-18-07 & spoke to Chris David and his supervisor Erik Rudd. Was assured the account was closed and that a letter verifying such would be sent out - never received. Called Scholastic on 12-12-07 and spoke to Debra at station #223; she assured me a letter was sent to address on account and that she would send another letter saying account closed. Never received it but did receive another notice on 10-25-07 from North Shore Agency (collection) for delinquent account.

Called Scholastic again on 10-30-07 to verify account closed. Was pretty much called a liar from a supervisor named Robin. She said that they (Scholastic) has sent notice to the collection agency on 6-20-07 to cease action on this account. After all this, I highly doubt that was done at all. In fact, when my daughter spoke to Chris David on 9-18-07, he made the comment that the collection agency didn't have a leg to stand on. How ironic!

Original review: March 13, 2007

I ordered a book through my daughters school from Scholastic. I must not have read the small print, because, instead of 1 book, I continue to receive, and be billed for, material I did not order or did not intend to order. Each time I am billed, I write on the bill, PLEASE CANCEL THIS SERVICE. This went on for 2-3 months. Then, I tried calling Customer Service for an entire day, and could never get through to a representative.

Finally, I used an e'mail address provided on their automated message service, asking them to stop the service and advise me exactly what I had ordered so I could confirm what I was getting was what I had ordered, whether mistakenly or not, so I could determine if I would pay the outstanding balance. I received an e'mail saying that service was cancelled, and that they would provide me with shipping info that listed exactly what I was receiving.

A couple of weeks later, I received ANOTHER shipment of what I believe I am being billed for. No other explanation has been provided, except the fairly vague information on the bill. Finally, I just paid the bill of approximately $45 because this was just too much trouble to hassle with. I will never order product from Scholastic again.

Original review: April 22, 2002

My daughter received a Clifford the Big Red Dog ride-on toy by Scholastic as a gift. This toy is dangerous as both my daughters (ages 4 and 1) would flip off the toy forward VERY easily and fall face forward on the floor. Also, the ears of the dog can pinch little fingers. (FYI other ride-on toys they have do not have this problem).

Scholastic Company Information