3.68/5
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratings

40 Safety 1st Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 28, 2018

I saw reviews on Safety 1st on a few different social media sites and everyone gave it a good review for the price paid. It made me have to check in on my child less often without being worried. It is also very portable. I like that it had features on the baby monitor that you could clip on to your clothes to tote the monitor around with you. It has a headphone jack as well for listening in privacy. The volume is clear and is very easy to hear noises and cries. However, I would like to be able to use Bluetooth headphones with the monitor, it will be so much more easier to listen hands free and not get tangled in wires and cords. Also, when one monitor has low batteries it should alert another one.

Original review: March 25, 2018

It was not too expensive, had different ones at different prices, it had a video monitor and the sound was pretty clear, easy to use, very innovative. It was pretty reliable and it did its job. It was also readily available in the small town I live in.

Get expert buying tips about Car Seats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I used Safety 1st and VEC. Both of these brands I have not had any issues with previously and were recommended by friends who were happy with them as well. Hearing the baby is the most important and I like Safety 1st's feature of hearing my baby clearly. I also would not have a lot of static or much background noise.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I like the fact that it is portable so you can take it with you wherever you go instead of just keeping it in one room. The fact that it has video and sounds capabilities is also amazing, because I like being able to see and hear my daughter since it gives me peace of mind. But I would like it if it came with two cameras instead of just one, since you want several more viewpoints in the room to see your child from during the night. I have a few other products which are made by Safety 1st, and they have never let me down. They're incredibly reliable and high quality. It's been a good experience.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My favorite part about the baby monitor was the fact it had video so you can see and hear your baby. The video and sound were always clear. I always felt comfortable and never worried. I had no problems, with this monitor at all. But the thing I disliked the most was the price of the monitor... I feel like companies hike up the prices on things that they know the parents need the most. Overall when/if I have another baby I would definitely purchase this monitor again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safety 1st?

Original review: March 11, 2018

It is really easy to set up, it only took us a few minutes. And it was simple to attach the camera to the wall facing our son. It was really easy to use. The video and audio is amazing on it and it is clear to hear and see them whenever we need to. It was really clear to see our kiddo at night. It was great to see him while he slept at night or in the daytime for a nap. However, the screen is really small, which isn't a bad thing because you can still see, but it would be great if it was bigger to easily see them better. Nevertheless, it is a cheap price, you are not paying a arm & leg for it.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I like that it's very dependable and easy to use all the time. It has a very good range and has upstairs and downstairs reception. It has very little noise and it was very reasonable priced. But I would like this product to have longer distance/range, louder volume control and less buttons on the units. It could also have more types available for different situations. Having an outside unit would be great for family members.

Original review: March 9, 2018

They can always been seen and know that the safety of my baby comes first. I like that I can see my baby on a screen at home while sleeping in crib and even when I’m at work while sitter is watching them. Everything with this brand and device runs great and not a complaint to be had. This brand allows my baby and me to have time without having to be in the same room.

Original review: March 8, 2018

The baby monitor has the link option to my phone. The remote option connected to the cell was a nice feature. The night vision was a nice option. Loved watching the kids looking right into it. Amazing how they figure out that's where to look when they want momie or dad. Loved the color, design and handling. Also loved that the camera connected to my cell phone and res was good too. The mounting bracket allowed us to mount the camera in the middle of the wall, high enough to look in the crib but far enough the baby couldn't reach.

The thermometer that came with it was the perfect size. Large display and could link to a computer or phone. But the battery life sucked. And the camera was bulky for the size of the camera. The packaging was a pain to get open, and the microphone kept going in and out. The size of the body was too big and almost made it impossible to mount to the wall because of the spacing.

Original review: March 3, 2018

The Safety 1st baby monitor has many features I enjoy but the one I like most is the great quality speaker and microphone that allows you to hear the smallest of sounds. Even though it is cheaper it is still a very great quality product and very affordable for people of all financial classes and situations. The only feature I am displeased with is the support clip on the back of the monitor. I feel as though it could be a lot stronger and more able to support its own weight.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I liked the range that it provided me in its portability. It was simple to use and the sound provided was very clear. Baby monitors should not be difficult to figure out, and this one was not. I found the quality to be equal to the higher priced monitors at a lower price. It worked just as well and was just as reliable as the pricier models I had looked at. I had considered one of the video monitors, but the portable handsets with the video screens weren't available at that time. But I would have equipped it with a rechargeable battery for better portability. I took it traveling with us and while I had a converter for the ac adapter, I ran through AA batteries very quickly. It would have been extremely convenient if that batteries could be recharged so that I wouldn't have spent so much money on disposable batteries.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

It's very convenient and easy to use and care for. Was recommended by a family member and we could not have been happier by the choice we made. I could keep an eye on my children without having to be in the same room. It allowed us to have peace of mind when it came to our children. We absolutely loved it and would recommend to any parent.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

To date we've bought the Safety 1st's booster seat with high chair attachment, digital thermometer, outlet covers, corner and edge foam bumpers, door handle covers, and cabinet latches for our daughter. The booster seat we bought only had three booster feet included and the safety strap was put on backwards by the manufacturer; the thermometer doesn't go above 95.7 degrees; my daughter was able to pull the foam bumpers off my table and, as toddlers will, instantly started trying to eat the adhesive strips; the door handle covers don't even fit on my door knobs; and the cabinet latches broke when I took them out of the package.

The only thing I bought that works are the outlet covers, and with how their other products have failed I'm ready to buy more from another company just to be safe. I sincerely hope whoever owns this company is ashamed to be called safety first because the products I have received are subpar, don't work and/or are dangerous for children. I'm personally never buying another product from them.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I believe it was the Safety 1st smooth travel system in the color "waterfall" that we bought. I also got the infant car seat to match. It is very easy to set up. The ride is smooth. It folds easily for storage, however it is still somewhat bulky after being folded up. Other than that, it is a very cute, stylish and completely functional travel system. The colors are great. It is also comfortable and has washable fabrics. It is a good quality stroller. The only thing I would change is how bulky the stroller still is after being folded for storage. Other than that, I'm very satisfied.

Original review: May 7, 2017

The stroller is easy to set up and it folds really easily. I like that it has a basket underneath for storage and a cup holder and compartment up top for storage as well a cup holder on the tray for my daughter. I also like the double push button feature to fold it because makes it harder for daughter mess with it. Just wish the stroller was a little less bulky because it takes up a lot of space and it was heavy. It would be easier to transport in and out of the apartment if it was lighter.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I really like the stroller's cushion for the baby's neck. It shows comfort is a priority as well as well being for the baby. My baby boy loves the stroller and seems comfortable with it. He can often fall asleep in stroller but if I try to squeeze through a thin walkway and accidentally hit a rack or a bump he wakes up immediately. I also like the storage area on the bottom for my purse and diaper bag. It's easy to get to it. Also, the stroller has a cup/bottle holder. I really did not like the fact that the stroller itself is very bulky and is not lightweight. It is pretty heavy and does not fit in tight areas. Maybe I should look into a smaller stroller.

Original review: April 26, 2017

The stroller is easy to put together. It has plenty of room underneath the seat for diaper bag and many extra items we need. Has great brakes and quick foot lock. Very smooth ride for the baby. While using the car seat the canopy sticks up quite a bit while pulled back and is in the way while trying to keep an eye on the baby but other than that it’s perfect. It's very easy to use except it took me a little while to find the pull to collapse the stroller but once I found it it was easy to use. It's lightweight which is perfect since you can’t lift very much when you get out of the hospital.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2014

I purchase the safety air booster in May of 2013 after my graco seat was broken in a car accident. Manufacture date - 3/21013. We love the seat but after only a year, the back no longer stays up, the small plastic piece has broken off. I have pictures and was hoping for a replacement since the seat has been in zero accidents and love the seat but can't afford to replace it every year due to simple breakage cuz of the way the seat is made. I have stopped using it due to safety concern and have started using my son's hand me down seat.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2012

I received this Safety 1st walker as a gift. I took it out of the box and followed the very simple instructions on how to assemble it. But when I tried to raise the walker up higher, like your are supposed to be able to do, it would not budge. It would only adjust to the lowest position possible. I thought maybe I had done something wrong so I had a male friend check it out about a month later. He said that it was a manufacturer defect. It was assembled wrong and the bars that go up and down to make it high or low were bent. Of course by this time, I had already thrown the box away and did not have a receipt. My friend said she purchased it at Wal-Mart in Cambridge, Ohio but without a box or receipt, I cannot return it. My daughter's friend just received the same walker as a gift at her baby shower and after assembling hers, it had the same defect. Who do I get a hold of to at least replace it?

Original review: May 23, 2012

I just found out that the majority of products that Safety 1st sells aren't theirs. Safety 1st does licensing agreements with all these companies and stamps their own name on the box. Safety 1st, also known as Dorel Juvenile, is nothing but a large reseller of other people’s products. They don't know how to design or manufacture anything solid or built to last.

The employees at Safety 1st think they are the very best because they have a large catalog, but their quality is the worst on the market. They own nothing. They just rent other people’s products and say it's their own. Nothing but thieves and con artists. Stay far away from this company. They are a fraud and do not care about children whatsoever. It's just profit, profit, profit. It’s sad that they fool so many parents.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2011

I have tried calling and emailing the above named group and actually received email confirmation that replacement parts were being sent due to a recall. I have recently purchased a Safety 1st Yellow Race Car Corvette at a rummage sale. I thought it was a good deal and it seemed to be working all right, but the battery needed to be charged. Upon bringing it home and trying to charge the battery, it seemed as though the battery wasn't holding a charge. So I went online and this is when I found out the vehicle had been recalled. Upon further investigation and after contacting the above group, I discovered the vehicle I purchased was included in the recall. It has been approximately 2 months and I am still waiting on the replacement parts. Also, after investigating a little further, I have noticed that the wires connected to the circuit board are melted and now the vehicle won't work.

Original review: July 25, 2011

I placed an order online with safety 1st.com. When I got to the payment screen, it said that my card was declined. I knew I had money in the account so I tried again. It was declined a second time. I called my bank and the total amount of the order was charged to my account twice from the company.

The website did not give me a confirmation number and never admitted that my card was charged. I have been calling, leaving voicemail and emails for two days straight and I have yet to receive a response. They keep telling me that the "only person in this department is on vacation."

Original review: Jan. 4, 2010

We got a Safety First Walker this last year. My son is 9 months old and he was walking on it like usual when suddenly the back latch broke on it and he went straight down to the floor. He got some bruises from hitting the floor. It scared the heck out of me. I would think it would have been able to handle his weight. I am not satisfied at all with this product and feel like it needs better reinforcement. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2009

The walker I bought for my son is still too big for him. He is now 8 months old 27 in tall and is still too short for the walker I bought. I bought the Disney walker by safety 1st. I bought it so far in advance I couldn't take it back because I didn't have the reciept. We end up using the old one that was his fathers. It goes so low he was able to use it at 3 months old. If I was to wait til he was tall enough to use it he'd be walking by then. So now it is band new and is just collecting dust!!!! Im very upset that this happend. Wondering what can be done about this.

Original review: March 5, 2009

3 years ago I bought safety 1st yellow corvette for my son. After the first ride it stop working. Until last week I was not aware of recall about this corvette. I've filled out form and got the repairing kit. But it still not working. I called the necessary places and they told me to buy new battery which costs $85.00 So I ordered from the web site kidswheels.com cheaper than safety 1st.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2009

I purchased a Safety 1st swing back in Sept (it was on sale for $49.97 from reg. price of $99.97)..Model 53190C..for our grandchild (shower gift so it wasn't used until 2 wks ago-baby arrived in Jan) -3rd time it was used it wdn't work..My daughter changed batteries but still wdn't work..Called Walmart & they said this model is outdated & cdn't replace & wdn't refund money...only $20..Can u pls help us with a replacement? They really like the swing & just want it fixed..no address to contact for replacement parts given on website other than USA..

Original review: Feb. 18, 2009

Purchased the Safety 1st Easy Care booster seat for my 7 month old son. I had issues with it from the beginning. The straps used to hold the booster seat to the chair do not stay in place causing the booster seat to move whenever my son does. The backrest pops off when he leans on it. A complete waste of money and a serious hazard for infants.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2009

Shortly after my son was born, I baby-proofed the house. I bought Safety 1st products because of the name. I have been thoroughly disappointed with the quality of their products...Are they made in China? My son, at less than 1 year old, was able to remove their plug outlets. Their cupboard door latches break and their door stopper can cut little fingers. I also bought their booster seat (the one that folds). Cheap, cheap, cheap. Our kids deserve better, safer products than what Safety 1st is manufacturing. I now avoid Safety 1st products like the plague. And Dorel makes this stuff??? Shame on them.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2008

I had purchased a Grip n go latch to put on my cupboard that hold all my cleaning supplies and my 14 month old son pulled it and it snapped it right in half and he has all the chemicals everywhere i did speak with the doctor and he did insist that i watch him very close for the next 24 hours for any stange behaviors or for him to become extremely ill. I am a Cna and do know all the symptoms to watch for. I am not sure if this was a faulty latch but i am very upset i do understand accidents happened but this could have killed my little boy if he was to ingest any or enough of these. If we dont hear back from this company asap my lawyer will contact them asap to resolve this in a timely manner thank you for your time. I may be reached at 1-208-851-2687 or 1-208-241-2452 you may leave a message.

Original review: June 10, 2008

I picked the deluxe grooming kit because it looked like the best and most safe grooming kit in the store come to my surprise far from it. the syringe doesn't suck up any liquid, the nose sucker doesn't suck, the thermometer doesn't give an accurate reading. the nail clippers aren't even sharp.

I needed all these products to work, and they didn't. i needed to syringe feed my infant, take a temp, and suck the liquid from his nose. And today i went to use the nail clippers caused my baby's nails to be all scratchy looking.

Safety 1st expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Safety 1st launched in 1984 with its iconic yellow “Baby on Board” sign for vehicles. The company expanded to include many other safety-focused products for infants and toddlers, including baby gates, bath seats, strollers, high chairs, baby monitors and car seats. It offers infant and convertible car seats and harness and seat belt positioning booster seats. Its products are sold by major retailers internationally.

• Patented safety features: Safety 1st car seats feature several patented safety features such as the Air Protect cushion system and GCell HX foam for side protection.

• All-in-one option: Safety 1st offers an all-in-one car seat called Grow-and-Go. It accommodates infants from 5 to 40 pounds in rear-facing mode and 22 to 65 pounds in the forward-facing position. It also transitions to a belt-positioning booster seat for children from 40 to 100 pounds.

• Boosters with storage space: Safety 1st offers belt-positioning booster seats with hidden storage space, starting at around $50. Each booster has a small drawer under the seat to store small toys or snacks. The seat also has a cup holder.

• Audio and video baby monitors: Safety 1st has several affordable analog audio baby monitors costing from $20 to $37. Choose from one or two receivers.They also have wireless video baby monitors for $150-$200.

• One-year warranty: Most Safety 1st products are covered by a one-year limited warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Be sure to register your product on the company’s website in case you need to make a warranty claim.

• Best for: parents and caregivers who want reliable safety-focused baby gear.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs