InStep Jogging Strollers

Compare Children's Toys

Research top Children's Toys recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased an InStep jogging stroller in September of 2003 during the last trimester of my pregnancy with our son. We were initially very happy with the stroller, however, a year later I am extremely concerned about putting my son in the stroller. The folding arm of the stroller that divides the unit when collapsing for storage has collapsed with my son in the stroller. In addition, much of the time it is impossible to lock in place one side of the stroller for the very same reason.
This stroller has only had one year of use and I expected it to last for much longer. The stroller was purchased at Burlington Coat Factory, and of course, I no longer have a receipt. So the store asked that I contact the manufacturer. I wanted to bring this defect to your attention in hope that no child is injured should this be a wide spread problem.
Secondly, are your products guaranteed for this type of failure? Can we have the unit repaired or replaced?
The company responded:
The warranty on our strollers is one year from date of purchase against manufacturing defect. What is the model number of your stroller? Also, do you have the capability of e-mailing some photos of the affected area?

A bit later ...

Hi Deborah, The stroller is out of the one-year warranty period. The front wheel falling off is probably from not checking the quick release to make sure it is tight. The quality team felt that the frame looked as if it had been damaged somehow. Did something accidentally happen to it?"

The stroller I have written repeatedly to you about has not been "accidentally" damaged. We have had a problem with the stroller locking almost from the beginning. The stroller may have been "accidentally" damaged during manufacturing or perhaps shipping. However, I have a stroller that isn't safe for my son and is only slightly over a year old. Perhaps your advertising should read..."will self-destruct immediately following the warranty expiration". I have kept all 33 emails that have transpired since 01/04/05 when I initially approached your company with this problem.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

One of Pacific Cycle’s five brands, InStep specializes in jogging strollers. Their strollers are available as fixed-wheel or swivel wheel. They also sell bicycle trailers, pedal cars and accessories for their products.

• Focus on jogging strollers: InStep only makes jogging strollers, and this specialization means the company is dedicated to innovating ways to improve the jogging experience for parents and caregivers.
  • Focus on fitness: InStep wants to help parents stay active, and they understand that taking care of kids can be a hindrance when it comes to finding ways to get fit. That’s why, in addition to making jogging strollers, InStep also has a section on their website dedicated to helping parents find ways to get fit. Their Parent Zone has ideas for eating healthy and finding ways to sneak fitness into your everyday life.
  • Added features for jogging: InStep’s strollers include additional features that can make jogging with a stroller more enjoyable. These include cup holders, adjustable handle bars and mounted speakers that are compatible with most MP3 players.
  • Double strollers: InStep makes double jogging strollers, making it possible for parents and caregivers to take both of their kids out for a jog or a run.
  • Recall information: Find out the latest recall information on InStep’s website, and submit a customer service request to receive a repair kit, when applicable. Recalls are available for all Pacific Cycle brands.
  • Best for InStep jogging strollers are best for active parents and caregivers, including those with multiple children.

Compare Strollers