3.27/5
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

54 Evenflo Car Seats Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 5, 2018

Have had 2 Symphony All-in-one car seats for 2 years. Took apart to clean and discovered that the straps on both seats have shredded!! I'm trusting this thing to keep my son safe! Tried contacting the company and my emails keep getting “returned to sender”. So now I get to buy 2 new car seats when I expected these to last until he was done needing one.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I would even go as far as boycotting Evenflo! I bought the car seat (2nd stage) and so weird... since it's not rocket science to use a car seat. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the harness so my baby could even fit in it. I decided to read the manual and nothing says how to adjust it. Only that it moves and you won't have to rethread it? So I called customer service to be told to read the owners manual more carefully. Still have no idea. I have no clue who has even bought this Triumph car seat and been able to fit their baby in it. Biggest mistake ever. I'll stick to Graco!

Get expert buying tips about Car Seats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I love Evenflo products, but absolutely despised their customer service. Evenflo has one of the worst customer service we have dealt with. My fiancé and I ordered a car seat from them almost 3 weeks ago. When we went to track our order it kept telling us that the order number was wrong. We called and the lady said that it was unusual seeing as packages usually deliver 24-48 hours after purchase. She called the warehouse and somehow 3 other orders were placed the same as ours and they didn’t have any in stock for us. Okay, whatever no biggie. I told her just to refund me and she said that since nothing shipped the pending charge on my account would just fall out. Took about 5 days but it finally did.

A week later after we ordered another car seat from Graco this time, we check our account and Evenflo decided to charge our account once again. I told My fiancé and he called and they said that since they got the car seat in stock they went ahead and shipped to us a car seat that would be here by the 8th. We explained we didn’t want it and that we had already ordered another car seat and they told us okay they will call FedEx track the package and then refund us that day (this was Friday). The lady never called us back nor did we get our refund.

My fiancé called today, and was told we couldn’t get refunded until we refused the package and it was sent back, only then could we get our money back. I’m mad at this point because not only did they NOT have permission to draw out of our account a second time, they now were spinning us in circles and not giving us our refund. I called and got a hold of a lady who said they’d refund us today, could take up to 24 hours but we would still have to refuse the package which is fine, or they would Charge us again. If I don’t get my money in 24 hours I’m going to be even more upset! Will not order online through them again!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

This Sibby travel system does not come with a body pillow. My baby was born a preemie at 4 lbs 8 oz and did not fit into the car seat (although the package specifies a 4 lbs - 50 lbs requirement). When I contacted the manufacturer from the NICU, I was told one would be mailed 7-10 days (my baby was expected to come home two days from the day I called). I was then told to use receiving blankets so that my NEWBORN PREEMIE would fit in the car seat. Not only was it against hospital policy, the product package instructions, but who would secure a NEWBORN PREEMIE with blankets? I have requested the manufacturer place body pillows in every travel system (as standard with the purchase of the car seat alone) and the company will not respond back to my numerous requests. You CANNOT purchase the body pillows in stores.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I had done my research before purchasing, and for the price, Evenflo is rated very highly. I had a model that stayed in the car, an upright car seat. This is one of the best qualities of these car seats, that they keep your child safe. I read all the instructions before installing in my car, and it was still hard to know if I was doing it correctly. I had to have someone help me that had done it before. I also felt there should be a way to know if the seat is in tight enough, so that you are confident it will not move in case of an accident. But I liked that I could get my child in and out fairly quickly. I also felt my child was safe in her car seat. Sometimes it was hard to get the clips buckled quickly, but I knew how important it was to do. I did not have a car seat with a base that stayed in the car, and would get a model with one if I ever need new again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Evenflo?

Original review: May 26, 2017

Evenflo meets government safety guidelines and has harness straps that can be attached in a number of different positions. It can be used either as a rear facing seat for infants or as a front facing seat for older children. Although I like most of the features of this car seat and feel that it was a good buy for the price, it could be improved by adding a little more padding.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Evenflo has a fairly high safety rating. I like the strap system and the buckles are very easy to operate. The seat is lightweight yet sturdy, and it is easy to keep clean. However, I would like to see some different options for anchoring the seat that would make installation easier and close to the same procedure for various types of vehicles. The seat is easier to install in face forward position and easier to place child in and secure the straps with less effort. The rear facing is not as convenient. It would be nice if a swivel base could be developed for rear facing position. This would make placing the child in the seat less time consuming and would be especially nice for inclement weather.

Original review: May 21, 2017

It has all the features and items I was looking for and was also at a very reasonable price. Installing and using the car seat was a little difficult the first time but the instruction manual was very helpful to me. After installing and using it a few times it was very easy to figure out. The car seat is lightweight but very sturdy and comfortable for my child. The design and color is also very nice. I am very happy with my purchase.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I like that the Evenflo car seat is adjustable. My kids have grown very fast. They are all in the 90% in height and it seems I am always having to readjust the belts so the kids will fit in. It would really suck if I had to buy a new one for every growth spurt. However, it is not easy to get it installed in the car. They are very hard to get in place and strapped in and I would love to see a better way of doing that. It seems no matter how hard I pull and push on the seat there is still a lot of looseness and a movement of the seat. Just to get the seat belt around the seat is hard then you have to have about 3 people pull on it to get it as tight as they say it needs to be and the worst part is putting on the little clip to hold the seat belt. After it is in it is not too bad belting up the kids as long as they aren't fighting you.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I like Evenflo Car Seats' extra padding for infant which you can remove. It’s very comfortable especially for a newborn baby. It’s also side impact tested so I don’t have to worry as much about my baby’s safety. But the straps that you buckle the baby into sometimes after you click the car seat to the base get stuck so you have to take the seat back out and fix it before strapping the baby in. The base for the car seat is relatively easy to install. I have to put it in and take it out often between three vehicles and the seat easily clips in and out.

Original review: May 14, 2017

I have only heard good things about Evenflo Car Seats. It looks like it would be safe to use, and the prices are good enough to get the right one you need. It was really easy to install, the instructions were easy to read and understand. I had someone else help me read the instructions, and together we were able to secure the car seat to the correct specifications. This is a great company and I tell others about them and the car seats that they offer.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I like Evenflo Car Seats' easy and quick installation, comfort for child and adult, grow with me ability to fit multiple ages and stages, easy to clean and safety features. However, I dislike color choices. There are more options that are easier to find in store. Also ease of cleaning harness straps, durability of plastic clips that keep the cover in place ease of installing in tight fighting cars. It's easy to install forward facing. But I wish rear facing was easier to do without the help of a 2nd person. Also wish all had the click tight latches and the covers stayed on better. Most seem to want to come off after being washed. But overall, excellent value.

Original review: May 12, 2017

One of the best brands for the price. This is a great car seat that is simple and efficient to use. It comes apart easy so it is simple to clean which is a very important feature. Very easy to install in your car, also easy to buckle your child in. They buckle in securely, as well. You can let your child have play things while in the car seat. There is plenty of room for your child's safety and comfort.

Original review: May 11, 2017

The Evenflo Car Seat has a removable seat pad to machine wash and adjustable slots to adjust shoulder and waist straps. It also has an option to use standard seatbelts in car due to increase struggle using strap on car seat. But the straps and buckles are cheaply made and tend to get nasty and dirty. It’s hard to unbuckle and the chest buckle fails to move with ease, as well. It is also very difficult to install and remove due to a poorly-made release system and clips are too springy requiring brute force to move a car seat from vehicle to vehicle.

Original review: May 10, 2017

The Evenflo baby car seat seems to be safely attached to the car which reassures me that the baby will be safe. In addition to this positive aspect, the seats look comfortable. At first, my baby was crying but as she got used to the seat she is enjoying her car rides. I like that it is especially designed for newborns and it was especially useful on my way home from the hospital when my daughter was born. It can easily be detached so that I can carry my baby in the car seat as I go about doing my business instead of having to wake a sleeping baby up to take her out of the baby car seat.

The negative aspects of the car seat is that it is kind of heavy. It is not something I want to carry around everywhere with my baby inside. Another thing is that although it states that the car seat is used by 4-35 pounds, it already seems kind of small for my two-month-old which is only 12 pounds. I was expecting to use it for at least a year before I purchase a new one but that doesn't seem likely.

Installing the car seat was extremely difficult because I didn't know all the features of my car, where to attach the base of the seat to the car. I was hoping that the instructions provided by the company inside the box would be all that's needed to know how to install, but that wasn't so. I had to watch several Youtube videos to actually figure out what I was doing.

Original review: May 7, 2017

The seat was easy to install without the latch system. I do believe the latch system would make it steadier but it takes a small amount of time to get it right the first time. Also, it was a little hard to adjust the straps to a larger size when needed and having to completely take it apart and put together to adjust was a pain. It could have used a little more padding to make it more comfortable. But it was easy to click in the child and it was secure when buckled into the car. Also, it was fairly priced and the choice of boy or girl styles was good as was the actual color patterns.

Original review: May 6, 2017

I purchased an Evenflo car seat for my daughter, who is 4 now. It is black and pink. The colors are very bold and attractive but a Disney character would be very cute on it. It has a high back and you strap your seat belt around it. It fully protects her at all times, it is very comfortable, spacious and has a head rest in case she falls asleep. It also has 2 cup holders to hold drinks or a little snack. It is very easy to install this car seat in my vehicle. I just set it in my back seat and my daughter gets in. I then pull the seat belt around her and buckle it and she is ready to go. But the car seats she used as a baby were different. There was a hold in the base of the car seat and that is where you put the seat belt through. Then you can detach the seat part from the base if you wanted to carry it. But I am fully satisfied with my daughter’s Evenflo car seat. My daughter would be the first one to tell me if she did not like it.

Original review: May 5, 2017 We found the Eventflo Car Seat to be easily installed which came in handy when moving within parents' vehicles. It was also lightweight and easy to maneuver within the vehicle. We really liked how easily the car seat converted into a stroller. We always seemed to be on the go and this made life so much easier.

However, I never easily found covers switched out when the one on the car seat was being cleaned. The pamphlet that the car seat comes with should have different designs and colors.

Original review: May 4, 2017

The Evenflo car seat is easy to clean, use and put in the car, has a great safety record, able to grow as my child did and has a nice fit. It came with instructions on how to best install and it’s easy to secure in the car. It snaps in so you know your child is safe.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I bought a Symphony Evenflo car seat 16 months ago and today the entire base fell off when I took it out of the car. When I called their customer service number I was told it was no longer safe to use and I could have a discount on a new one. I was extremely upset with this because I expected a full refund or new car seat considering it was suppose to last for years. I don't know how long the seat was unsafe that my daughter was riding around in. I will never use this unsafe company again and I suggest you don't put your precious babies in it either.

Original review: May 6, 2016

Got the travel system for baby shower. Was so excited. Took home, opened it to get ready for baby when she arrives and there is no car seat just the stroller. Emailed the company since I tried taking back and Walmart said I needed to contact the company. My response was, "We would never ship a box lighter than it should be and there is nothing we can do for you." I will never recommend this company to anyone and will never buy any of their products. Bad customer Service.

Original review: June 18, 2015

My daughter is only two months old and is using a car seat from evenflo. The straps are so hard and always hit her neck they hurt her sometimes. I got this car seat as a gift and called the company about this issue because clearly they did not make it safe for newborns, although the car seat is FOR a newborn. So first off I called it took about 2-3 days just to get "helped". When I did get through the women told me to take a picture of my baby in the car seat with the straps. So I did and I had to write her like 3 times to get a response even though she said she would be calling me back.

She then told me the 4th day that they don't sell harness straps for this car seat. So she told me to just make sure the straps don't go over her shoulder to hurt her. It's obvious she had no consideration for my child's safety whatsoever. She seen PICTURES of her neck so onto the straps. She still did nothing, no refund, no change of seat belts or straps no change of even straps cover. How sad is that. Never again will I purchase or use a evenflo products.

Original review: July 29, 2010

I purchased an Evenflo travel system in the USA over the long weekend in July that according to the box meets and exceeds US and Canadian Safety Standards only to find out that it is against a federal law to have purchased it as it is not to be used in Canada? I went through two boarder Crossings and not one person identified this was against the law. Not to mention it does not meet Canadian Standards. I do not understand how they can write this information on the side of the box?

The company manager Tammy ** initially stated it was impossible to have such a box as it did not exist but when I sent her pictures of the tag and the box she relayed that the same box is manufactured for both countries, but it was my responsibility to know it was against a federal law to purchase this as a cross boarder purchase. I identified to her that I travel to and from the US quite frequently and that I wanted a car seat that was legal in both countries and this was why I purchased it. After a week of negotiating she finally agreed to send me a new travel system. But it may not get here before the baby and it is not the style that I was looking for. I was just wondering how they can get away with advertising this way? The least they could have done was write on the box it is against federal law to utilize this car seat in a country that it is not purchased in. Is there anything you guys can do to warn others from making the same mistake?

Original review: March 27, 2008

There was a recall of the Evenflo Discover infant seats. Instead of allowing customers to return these seats they sent out a fastener to fix the problem. After receiving the fastener, I tried to use it and discovered that it isn't even practical to use. I then E-mailed Evenflo and told them of the problem and that I would like to return the seat for a refund. I then received an E-mail back stating that they would NOT allow me to return the seat. I have copies of these E-mails for reference. I feel like Evenflo is more concerned with what this recall is going to cost rather then making a product that is safe. After trying to communicate with Evenflo I feel like it is a lost cause. Evenflo needs to be held responsible to fix this problem not just put a band-aid on it.

In my case no damage has resulted but could potentially if I were to get into a crash with my child in the vehicle.

Original review: March 5, 2008

I have an evenflo car seat. This car seat is very dangerous. When i buckle my son in it the latch that suppose to goes over his chest doesnt, instead it goes over his neck and chokes him. my son is 22 pounds and 32 inches tall. i have had the car seat about 6 months and after having him goes 2 inchs i could not put him in the car seat. i had to buy another car seat. The evenflo one i spent 70 or 80 dollars on. I had called the company to get a refund or somethin else in exchange and they said they could not do anything, they said to wait til he was 30 pounds then use the regular seat belt in the car seat. Which i still had to buy another car seat that was 85 dollars. It is a joke that they would sell unsafe car seat that choke children. what if he had been in a accident?? he could have been killed. I think these car seat sould be taken of the shelves.

I child could have been injuryed serious or even killed from this carseat. Something should be done

Original review: Nov. 19, 2007

I bought the Evenflo Journy travel system. Not even 4 months later both front wheels fell off. They fall off every time I put the stroller in or take it out of the vehicle. They also fall of when I try to lift it over a curb, in traffic, with my baby in the stoller. I do not feel safe using this stoller at all.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2007 As do many parents I began shopping around for a safe carseat to bring my newborn baby girl home in. I have a 10 yr. old daughter as well and had remembered the wonderful travel system I had received for her. There were no problems in 1997 so why not go the same route in 2006. My oldest daughter was still in her stroller at the age of 5- no problems at all. I requsted a similiar travel system for my new baby and it has been a disaster. First I get information regarding a recall but since the recall wasn't on my particular model EVENFLO wouldn't do anything. The handle of my infant carrier doesn't feel secure it since I couldn't afford to just buy a different one and take chances with a recall safety issue I refused to move the seat out of the car! I have installed the seat correctly and to confirm my knowledge I went to a local police station on car safety day to have it checked out.

The stroller-the award selling convience is a sham. Shortly after the recall scare the wheels started wobbling. Parents/ consumers put faith in manufacturing companies especially when we believe they are going through the proper safety channels to sale their product. My baby is now 9 1/2 months and weighs all of 18 1/2 pounds. While taking my girls on an outing for mommy daughter day I heard a snapping sound and my poor child fell backwards. Luckily I keep her strapped in because without I can't even imagine. There are small metal rods or screws on each side of the stroller that's supposed to be secured with plastic. The plastic broke on one side of the stroller.

A customer service rep. replied to my complaints by first telling me that I am over my warranty period- "she's 9 months but if it would have broken when she was 9 days or even 90 days we would HAVE to replace it for you ma'am." I was also informed that there is no replacement part for the seat back so I should just invest in another stroller. As if I would put my trust/faith in EVENFLO again and give them another dollar. Times change but the safety measures of children should only get better not WORSE!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2007 I'm having the EXACT same problem as reported by Julianna of Guelph, Ontario on 02/02/06.
We recently purchased an Evenflo Tribute V (In July), as an extra car seat for my daughter and niece. When the seat is not in the car, it works perfectly. Once latched into the vehicle, the straps absolutely will not tighten completely, leaving far too much slack.
The seat has been installed in our Honda Odyssey forward facing (using LATCH) for my niece, and rear facing in a Chevy Astrovan (using the seatbelt) for my daughter.

No matter how it is installed (forward or rear facing), or how it is latched into the vehicle, the straps will not tighten once installed.

Original review: June 6, 2007

We have the Evenflo Embrace car seat that was recently recalled due to the carrier handle unlocking and babies hitting the pavement or other surfaces and being injured. Injuries range from bumps/bruises to skull fractures. I spoke with a representative and later a supervisor and all they will do is send a repair kit so you can fix the handle yourself.

That is ridiculous! When parents buy products that are sold as new and tested you trust that someday you will not have to repair them yourself. I could not believe their lack of consideration to my comfort as a parent. Why should I feel safe putting a newborn in a seat I repaired myself?? I will never purchase an Evenflo product again.

They only recalled about 450,000 seats a major company like Evenflo can surely afford to replace car seats for those parents who are not comfortable fixing Evenflo's problem them selves. I guess meeting their bottom line is more important that ensuring their consumers are comfortable and confident with their products. Whatever happened to customer satisfaction?

Original review: May 10, 2007 My six month old son was at the babysitter's house. It was getting close to nap time, and he typically takes a nap in his car seat. She was upstairs, and was taking him downstairs in the finished basement for his nap. He was not strapped in at the time. She had the handle clicked into place in the upright position and opened the door to head down the stairs when the handle clicked out of place making the seat move forward. My son fell down an entire flight of stairs end over end. You can imagine my reaction when my babysitter called me at work to tell me my six month old had fallen down and entire flight of stairs. She said he had remained conscious, but had scratches on his nose and forehead.

I immediately left work and took him to the pediatrician. The doctor checked for swelling in his head and abdomen and told me all the warning signs to look for throughout the night. I was even told to wake him two hours after he fell asleep for the night, to make sure he was still alright. Thankfully, the rug burn on his face and head where his only injuries. Since I wasn't there when it occurred, I never fully understood how this could happen. But a friend of mine at work just forwarded the recall information on the Evenflo Embrace infant seats, so now there is no question in mind how this happened. While his seat is a Discovery and not an Embrace, the handle design is the same, and it is the same manufacturer.

I can't believe a company would make a faulty product such as this. Its sole purpose is to keep your baby safe. I will NEVER by an evenflo product again, and will tell everyone I know to never support this company by buying their products.

Evenflo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Evenflo is an American child product manufacturer based in Miamisburg, Ohio. Founded in 1920, it is a recognized brand of car seats, high chairs, activity centers, safety gates and many other products for babies and toddlers.

• Lightweight options: Evenflo has several lightweight infant seat options, some as light as 6.5 pounds.

• Variety of price points: Evenflo offers basic infant, convertible and booster seats for shoppers on a budget, and also offers seats with more features at higher price points for those looking for convenience or luxury.

• All-in-one models: Evenflo offers a broad selection of all-in-one seats that accommodate children from 4 to 120 pounds. These start at around $150.

• First rollover tested car seat: Evenflo’s SafeMax car seat is the first car seat on the market to be safety tested for rollover crashes. Its impact-absorbing headrest and steel frame absorb impact to keep your child safe.

• Temperature tested: Since car seats typically use foam as padding, most brands can degrade in very hot or cold weather. All Evenflo car seats are tested at extreme hot and cold temperatures to ensure they maintain their performance in any climate.

• Best for: parents and caregivers of infants and small children.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Miamisburg
OH
www.evenflo.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business