Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.39/5

Britax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Britax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Britax?

Original review: March 4, 2020

I recently purchased a brand new B-Lively and B-Safe 35 Travel System this past September for our baby due here in a couple of weeks. Thank GOODNESS the retailer credited me back a portion to return the product even though it’s well over the 30day return timeframe due to the issue. I’m unsatisfied with after Britax refused to help and where honestly gave me the run around and talked my concern of safety, in circles.

Our car seat was lifting a solid 2+ inches off of the base even when being properly attached. The base could be tightened as much as possible, and after some “simulations” of bumping/lifting the seat around as if it would naturally going over speed bumps, driveway entrances for a parking lot, etc., the base itself became loose. I took a video to prove this defect (although the company won’t acknowledge it as such) even and shared it with two other expecting mothers in close with who also purchased new britax systems. Because after I first went back to the store to investigate, I found that ALL of the latest infant models do exactly this! So those friends have also returned their seats and opted for others.

The store itself was upset to find this issue when I pointed it out as well! What’s worse is the customer service rep I spoke to at the manufacturer said she knew EXACTLY what I was talking about when I voiced the issue and my concern with it but stated “our company doesn’t view this safety concern as a defect because the red webbing at the bottom of the base would break away in case of impact and in order for that feature, the top of seat being loose isn’t a concern”.

Okay, so basically to me she said “we cut corners and cost to ensure that IF you’re in an impact collision, this other part of our safety features should work and take that extra impact so your baby doesn’t, however we don’t care if their TINY NECK/GEAD/BODY get ricocheted around for all the other little expected bumps. She also stated that an infant (that as expected doesn’t way anything more than 7-10lbs at birth) should weigh it down enough so this shouldn’t concern me. WOW. I will no longer support a company who chooses to cut corners and clearly doesn’t have the concern of anyone’s child in interest at the most fragile point of their new life. I will continue to share this video with ANYONE I hear is looking into britax. I will be that person because our newborn/children’s safety is important to me.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

My daughter has already outgrown her car seat at 4 months. It is too narrow and should not be used for a growing infant. They wanted to only offer me 20 percent off of the next car seat. I said “hell no”. You should say the same.

Get buying tips about Car Seats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

We’ve purchased a few different car seats from Britax and every one has had a recall at some point. We purchased this car seat and the levers had been getting stuck to the point my handy husband was unable to open it. It was late and no customer service lines were open so we had to open the seat manually in order to remove it from the car. When I called for assistance and a warranty case, (as we’ve been well within the year of purchase) Britax stated they were voiding our warranty bc my husband HAD to use tools so we weren’t stuck. We YouTubed how to manually open the seat and looked at the website. Maybe they should have a 24 hour hotline help if that’s part of their warranty requirements. I would not recommend this company nor their products.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I love this stroller! You can use it as a single or a double. It moves and turns so easily! Folds easily too! Has many different adapters you can get, like a second chair, an adapter for a car seat spot so it doesn't take up the 1st seat. A skateboard addition for older kids, etc. Love love love! It also has a big bottom basket for diaper bag, purse, etc...

Original review: April 4, 2019

I purchased the B-Agile stroller 5 years ago after trying it the store, and it never handled well. In 2017 there was a recall as the car seat sometime FELL OUT of the stroller. Today Britax is in the news because they refused to recall a stroller which had 100s of reports of the wheel falling off. I have another child on the way and it makes me sick that I ever purchase something from this company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have purchased 6 Britax car seats, 1 pavilion, 3 frontier, 1 boulevard, and 1 advocate. I do love things about each but the one thing that is wrong with 2 of them I have would be the click tight open hole button to release the harness. At first it was just annoying cause crumbs can get in there and it’s dirty and a pain to clean but one day when I got home I went to get my one daughter out and she was leaning far forward asleep. She had managed to release the button. I was so scared, of course this was on a Friday and Britax didn’t open again until Monday. Thankfully we have 2 extra car seats in my husband’s truck. I grabbed my older daughter’s frontier car seat to use instead. Since again thankful and lucky my younger daughter just turned 2 and now can go in it.

I phoned Britax Monday. First thing their solution was put tape on the hole. Like a 2 year old couldn’t take tape off and then she said, “Well she will grow out of this stage eventually of pushing the button.” They really need to change that release button on the convertible car seats to how the frontier and pavilion are. Also what would be nice is if they could put the click noise when tight like the pavilion had on other models other than just the advocate and pinnacle. I don’t need the noise, I like it for when someone else is looking after my girls and are taking them somewhere, I know they are in their car seats tighter when I’m not there. Also to add I asked about an exchange for at least my advocate because I just bought it for the added click when tight feature to replace my pavilion that also has that click when tight noise.

We were just in a car accident a few weeks ago. Someone ran a stop sign and hit us and wrote off our vehicle. Which is why we just bought 2 more seats. I have not used the advocate yet. It is still in the box and Britax said no they do not do exchanges. It really sucks when you pay way more for added safety features but would of been better off buying the cheaper car seat. I bought all 6 car seats Britax because they were supposed to be the safest car seats out there. I understand that flaws and recalls can happen but to tell me put tape over the hole to fix it you got to be kidding me.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I have called several times regarding a defect in my Britax Boulevard ClickTight car seat. The adjuster strap was almost completely frayed through!!! You can't even tell from the outside until I tried to adjust it tighter. I called the company, I was told representatives would get back to me between 1-3 business days. Since, I had NOT been contacted by anyone. I made contact with this company to check on the status of my claim, was told I would be contacted by the end of the week. Still not even an email! I had to call them a WEEK later just to be told I could get a 30% discount on a new seat. Why would I want to spend $300 AGAIN on a car seat that doesn't even last 2 years!!

I believed when I purchased Britax brand that I would be investing in my child's safety. I think I would have been better off buying a Cosco brand car seat for much less! I can't believe this brand doesn't stand behind the safety of their products, or stay true to their word about contacting you regarding urgent issues. Not only has this car seat already had a recall, they will not replace this completely unsafe product. I'm extremely disappointed with Britax brand! Will NEVER buy again!!! I will tell EVERYONE THE SAME.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

It's been 4 long months of headaches confusion and false starts. In our effort to get a two seat car seat working we've been stymied at every turn by Britax. They purposefully active skate information related to any stroller that is not 2017 or newer and suppress information on the myriad accessories and attachments and configurations from 2016 or before. Stay away. Stay far away.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

After speaking to their customer relations person multiple times it was very clear that she has zero concern about how dangerous this can be, they will be waiting until a child dies before they do anything about it. I wanted to bring to your attention a terrifying experience that my family endured last night as a result of our Britax car seat. While driving home from the Santa Claus parade with our 3 young children (3, 2 and 7 months) we heard an awful noise coming from the side of our vehicle and our baby screaming for her life. I braked and put the vehicle in park which could have caused a collision near an intersection as I thought the straps were choking her by the sounds she was making.

My husband jumped out of the vehicle and got her out only to realize that the super, excessively long tether strap had gotten stuck under our wheel while driving and was pulling my daughter and her seat towards the door. We had traffic driving all around us while he stood on the road with my daughter and my toddlers were very upset by the noise and the screaming from their sister. I’ve had this seat for 3.5 years and always wrapped the tether strap up and put in the pouch but with 2 young children getting in and out of the vehicle it must have fallen out, pair that with it being completely dark out last night and I didn’t realize it had fallen out.

I have to believe that this is a design flaw in the seat and I can’t understand why the tether strap would ever be so long! Long enough to fall out the door I can understand, but long enough to reach and wrap around the back wheel of an SUV is just excessive. Now my whole family is a little traumatized, especially my poor baby who was impossible to console last night. I can only imagine how scary that must have been for her. Not only that but now we are also out a car seat as the force twisted the seat so much there’s no way I would consider it safe to use again. I am super unimpressed with this situation and also very shaken up.

Upon googling this last night, I found MULTIPLE people had written about the same incidence, I am surprised that it has not been recalled or at least brought to consumers' attention that this could happen without PERFECT use of the tether strap bag. If you have children you know, nothing goes perfectly. I can only imagine how bad this situation could be if A. We had been driving faster or B. We had been in an collision while the tether wrap around the wheel, which considering the sound it made and the gut reaction to stop, is not super far fetched. I imagine that it could be fatal. I sincerely hope that Britax corrects this situation. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

This car seat has a major design flaw. My daughter can reach the button to loosen the harness. I took videos and sent them to Britax. The company does not think it is a problem they need to fix. They told me they have no prior complaints. I can see by former complaints here and all over that people have been complaining for years and Britax says it is the first they are hearing. I have a 5 year warranty on this seat and Britax tells me that the seat is not defective. The release button should not be easily accessible for children to reach. Do not buy this or any of the models with release buttons exposed, the child will figure it out. There is no way to guarantee a toddler will listen all the time and not play with the harness. You may not even know the first time the child does it and then an accident can happen. Do not buy these seats. They are unsafe for forward facing toddlers.

Britax author review by ConsumerAffairs

Britax is a child product manufacturer based in Surrey, England. Britax began selling its products, including car seats, strollers and high chairs, in America in 1996. Since then, Britax has established a reputation for high safety standards and luxury products.

• Highly rated for safety: Britax car seats consistently win awards for safety. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated the Frontier 85 model the “best bet” for safety in 2012, and many models including the B-Safe, Marathon ClickTight, Boulevard ClickTight, Advocate ClickTight, Pioneer, Frontier ClickTight and Pinnacle ClickTight have five-star National Highway Traffic Safety Association ratings for crash test performance.

• Infant car seats: Britax’s infant car seats are designed for infants from 4 to 34 pounds and up to 32 inches. Many of these rear-facing seats have specialized anti-rebound technology to help stabilize the car seat in the event of a crash.

• ClickTight technology: Each Britax car seat uses the ClickTight system that works with a LATCH system or your vehicle seat belt to safely install the car seat. The system uses a ratchet to tighten and secure the seat in place easily.

• SafeCell impact protection: Britax car seats use a special system of safety features to exceed federal car seat safety standards. SafeCell impact protection absorbs energy and limits your child’s movement in a crash.

• Click & Go travel system: Britax’s infant car seats are compatible with its 2017 B-Ready stroller, so you can remove your car seat from the vehicle and snap it on the stroller frame for a simple and convenient stroller solution. When your child outgrows the infant seat, you can continue to use the stroller frame with its included stroller seat until your child reaches 55 pounds.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team