2.50/5
Based on 26 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

34 Britax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have purchased 6 Britax car seats, 1 pavilion, 3 frontier, 1 boulevard, and 1 advocate. I do love things about each but the one thing that is wrong with 2 of them I have would be the click tight open hole button to release the harness. At first it was just annoying cause crumbs can get in there and it’s dirty and a pain to clean but one day when I got home I went to get my one daughter out and she was leaning far forward asleep. She had managed to release the button. I was so scared, of course this was on a Friday and Britax didn’t open again until Monday. Thankfully we have 2 extra car seats in my husband’s truck. I grabbed my older daughter’s frontier car seat to use instead. Since again thankful and lucky my younger daughter just turned 2 and now can go in it.

I phoned Britax Monday. First thing their solution was put tape on the hole. Like a 2 year old couldn’t take tape off and then she said, “Well she will grow out of this stage eventually of pushing the button.” They really need to change that release button on the convertible car seats to how the frontier and pavilion are. Also what would be nice is if they could put the click noise when tight like the pavilion had on other models other than just the advocate and pinnacle. I don’t need the noise, I like it for when someone else is looking after my girls and are taking them somewhere, I know they are in their car seats tighter when I’m not there. Also to add I asked about an exchange for at least my advocate because I just bought it for the added click when tight feature to replace my pavilion that also has that click when tight noise.

We were just in a car accident a few weeks ago. Someone ran a stop sign and hit us and wrote off our vehicle. Which is why we just bought 2 more seats. I have not used the advocate yet. It is still in the box and Britax said no they do not do exchanges. It really sucks when you pay way more for added safety features but would of been better off buying the cheaper car seat. I bought all 6 car seats Britax because they were supposed to be the safest car seats out there. I understand that flaws and recalls can happen but to tell me put tape over the hole to fix it you got to be kidding me.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I have called several times regarding a defect in my Britax Boulevard ClickTight car seat. The adjuster strap was almost completely frayed through!!! You can't even tell from the outside until I tried to adjust it tighter. I called the company, I was told representatives would get back to me between 1-3 business days. Since, I had NOT been contacted by anyone. I made contact with this company to check on the status of my claim, was told I would be contacted by the end of the week. Still not even an email! I had to call them a WEEK later just to be told I could get a 30% discount on a new seat. Why would I want to spend $300 AGAIN on a car seat that doesn't even last 2 years!!

I believed when I purchased Britax brand that I would be investing in my child's safety. I think I would have been better off buying a Cosco brand car seat for much less! I can't believe this brand doesn't stand behind the safety of their products, or stay true to their word about contacting you regarding urgent issues. Not only has this car seat already had a recall, they will not replace this completely unsafe product. I'm extremely disappointed with Britax brand! Will NEVER buy again!!! I will tell EVERYONE THE SAME.

Get expert buying tips about Car Seats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

It's been 4 long months of headaches confusion and false starts. In our effort to get a two seat car seat working we've been stymied at every turn by Britax. They purposefully active skate information related to any stroller that is not 2017 or newer and suppress information on the myriad accessories and attachments and configurations from 2016 or before. Stay away. Stay far away.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

After speaking to their customer relations person multiple times it was very clear that she has zero concern about how dangerous this can be, they will be waiting until a child dies before they do anything about it. I wanted to bring to your attention a terrifying experience that my family endured last night as a result of our Britax car seat. While driving home from the Santa Claus parade with our 3 young children (3, 2 and 7 months) we heard an awful noise coming from the side of our vehicle and our baby screaming for her life. I braked and put the vehicle in park which could have caused a collision near an intersection as I thought the straps were choking her by the sounds she was making.

My husband jumped out of the vehicle and got her out only to realize that the super, excessively long tether strap had gotten stuck under our wheel while driving and was pulling my daughter and her seat towards the door. We had traffic driving all around us while he stood on the road with my daughter and my toddlers were very upset by the noise and the screaming from their sister. I’ve had this seat for 3.5 years and always wrapped the tether strap up and put in the pouch but with 2 young children getting in and out of the vehicle it must have fallen out, pair that with it being completely dark out last night and I didn’t realize it had fallen out.

I have to believe that this is a design flaw in the seat and I can’t understand why the tether strap would ever be so long! Long enough to fall out the door I can understand, but long enough to reach and wrap around the back wheel of an SUV is just excessive. Now my whole family is a little traumatized, especially my poor baby who was impossible to console last night. I can only imagine how scary that must have been for her. Not only that but now we are also out a car seat as the force twisted the seat so much there’s no way I would consider it safe to use again. I am super unimpressed with this situation and also very shaken up.

Upon googling this last night, I found MULTIPLE people had written about the same incidence, I am surprised that it has not been recalled or at least brought to consumers' attention that this could happen without PERFECT use of the tether strap bag. If you have children you know, nothing goes perfectly. I can only imagine how bad this situation could be if A. We had been driving faster or B. We had been in an collision while the tether wrap around the wheel, which considering the sound it made and the gut reaction to stop, is not super far fetched. I imagine that it could be fatal. I sincerely hope that Britax corrects this situation. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

This car seat has a major design flaw. My daughter can reach the button to loosen the harness. I took videos and sent them to Britax. The company does not think it is a problem they need to fix. They told me they have no prior complaints. I can see by former complaints here and all over that people have been complaining for years and Britax says it is the first they are hearing. I have a 5 year warranty on this seat and Britax tells me that the seat is not defective. The release button should not be easily accessible for children to reach. Do not buy this or any of the models with release buttons exposed, the child will figure it out. There is no way to guarantee a toddler will listen all the time and not play with the harness. You may not even know the first time the child does it and then an accident can happen. Do not buy these seats. They are unsafe for forward facing toddlers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Britax?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Last December we purchased a Britax Boulevard Click Tight seat for my son. The seat has been nothing but a pain in the ass. It is heavy and awkward, but we don't really travel so that's not a huge issue for us. Learning to install properly took lots of reading and YouTube watching. This was a pain, as we got the seat at the end of December so here in Manitoba it was ridiculously cold outside. I got frostbite numerous times while trying to get the seat in the car properly. Brrr... I put my kid in the seat and set the straps to the right length, then I basically leave them. We just buckle and unbuckle him without playing with the length very often. Somehow those straps still find a way to become uneven.

I have asked for help on here and followed the instructions of the tech's word by word. Within 2 uses my straps are uneven again. At the belly area I can pinch 2 inches on one side, while the other side is so tight I worry about his collarbone snapping. I repeat the whole process, and it's the same in a few days time. The crotch buckle has no room for the cloth diapers we use. My kid pulls the anti-rebound bar right out of the seat. That bar now has visible signs of the plastic pins on the bar being bent. I called today about the straps and he did the same thing with me that I had already done numerous times on my own. He is more than sure that the problem is fixed. I am more than sure it's just a ** seat. I then put the seat in the full upright position and installed the bar just like he assured me would prevent the bar from being pulled out. This is when I noticed the bent pins. The bar just glides out of the seat now with no real pressure applied.

I phoned Britax again. She informed me that I had to take pictures of the pins so they could open a case for me. Everything must be documented. She also informed me that the seat was unusable without the bar installed. I asked her if I was supposed to stop the car every 3 mins when he pulls the bar out? She had no helpful feedback for me. She refused to acknowledge my questions about how I was going to get these pics to her, as our computer is broken and our mobile does not allow attachments. She then told me not to curse while on the phone with her after I again stated that I didn't know how to get these ** pics to her.

At that point I hung up before I completely lost it on her. I am left with a $600 car seat that is unusable. I should have just spent $100 On a Costco in the first place. My concern was safety and Britax has blown it completely. They are more concerned with pictures and claims than they are with getting my child's seat in safe working order. Why can't they just ship the 2 plastic pins? It will cost them nothing. It would be good customer service. They are a company that is supposed to specialize in child safety. To think that people have days or weeks to wait for replacement parts is ridiculous. Dyson sends me any part I need free of charge. No pics. Their parts are way more expensive than 2 plastic pins. What am I missing? I will never buy a Britax product again. I will never recommend a Britax product to anyone. So frustrated and annoyed right now.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have paid Britax hundreds of dollars for poorly designed/malfunctioning car seats and terrible cup holders that keep breaking. According to Britax my car seat is good until 5/2019; however, the foam has broken in two sections and their terrible customer service will not send out a new piece of foam.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I recently purchased a car seat from the local Target store in Gibsonia. The display model showed the car seat with the rebound bar. After purchasing & building the car seat at my house, I realized the rebound bar was not included in the box. I called Target complaining to them, when they informed me that they must have received the wrong display model from Britax & that's why I did not receive the bar. It takes me a week to finally get in touch with Britax due to my work schedule not matching with their hours. Finally I get in touch with Tracy ** a manager from Britax. She tells me she is sending me the rebound at no cost & I give her the information to Target Gibsonia to figure out what caused this mess in the first place. The next day, at 2:24 (around) she emails me telling me she will only give me a 30% discount on the bar, taking back her word of sending me the rebound bar at no cost.

Furious, because not I have to wait until Monday to call back, I go to Target in Gibsonia to find out not only did Tracy not call that store to see if the rebound bar was present on the display but she also did not hear everything I had explained to her on Thursday. Here I am, 34 mins waiting to get in touch with a representative. I have been on hold with Britax since before I even started the review. Might I add I had to sign up thru Consumer Affairs to even leave this review in the first place. If Britax decides to not do anything after I spent $299 on a $39 rebound bar after it was their mistake, I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. Target however has offered to give me the rebound bar off the display at no cost, price match a Chicco car seat to the Britax, & they sent me a $25 gift card, while Britax still has me on hold.

Still on hold. 39 minutes now I have been on hold. Poor customer service! If I would have bought a Chicco or Track, this would have never happened & at a fraction of the Britax car seat cost. What a shame! Below I posted photos of the display model at the Target in Gibsonia for Britax to see the lack of investigation Tracy had done when first being told about the incident at Target. Still on hold 43 minutes now.

Original review: May 30, 2017

Installing the Britax car seat is very easy. It is very well designed. It's like they thought of everything when they designed it. I would buy it again and again and again. I like the quality of materials. I like that it is compatible with my stroller. You can take it off the car and simply click it into the stroller. Me likey. However, I don't like that there have been a few recalls on it. It kinda scares me. I'm glad that they are on top of it though. Very reassuring.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I really like the ease of use in the click-tight feature on the tightening of the harness. It's easy to secure my child. I like that it's too difficult for my child to unclick himself. However, I would make the shoulder pads a little more permanent. My child constantly takes them off and throws them. Then the straps make red marks on his skin. Overall, it was fairly easy to install. It needs to be in very good in case of a wreck, so I don't expect a very easy installation.

Original review: May 21, 2017

We have never used another brand of car seat so it's hard to compare what we like and dislike, but once we learned how to install the car seat, then we really like how easy it was to interchange the seat in different cars. It was difficult at first but once we got the hang of it there were no issues. We use a YouTube video demo to help us learn how to install the car seat. I don't like how the shoulder harness straps get so easily twisted. It makes it difficult to fasten the seat belts when they get twisted like that. There should be an easier way to untangle the shoulder straps on the car seat.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I like the solid build, quality. I like the style of the seat which is very nice and I also like the fact that my kid is well protected as one would hope for that price. Installing was particularly easy and I didn't have to read the manual all the way through like one would expect, which is located in an inconvenient place under the seat. However, the price is really at the top of the range of anything that you would want to be paying for a child in the world. The seat could also be smaller.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Comfortable, big enough for both babies and toddlers. Good design, baby likes it. The strap between legs is very short on Britax Marathon, but you can call the customer service to get a extension kit. Very good customer service. My husband installed, looks fairly easy to secure the baby, except the short strap I mentioned after baby grows bigger.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Our Britax car seat was very well made and sturdy. It was very versatile and is meant for several stages of growth. Our cost outlay could've been the same buying three different car seat/booster seats. It was also easy to keep clean. To install in the car the directions were fairly clear and it was easy to see where to put each strap and hook. Once in car it stayed firmly in place, fairly locked in. Putting a child into it was easy too. They were snug, the straps were easy to adjust and it was high enough for child to see well. It was very comfortable too. However, it was very heavy and took up a lot of room on backseat. When switching car seats between cars and also handling two young children and a new infant, it became unmanageable.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Britax has cute patterns on the fabrics and easy to order replacement parts. It's very sturdy and well-built. Ours will easily last until my daughter outgrows it. However, the fabric is "hot" according to my daughter. The car seats are also huge, heavy, and very bulky. There is no way to install them right next to another one. They are also not very portable. And it was moderately difficult to install. I had trouble doing it as I have trouble with my hands due to surgeries. My husband had to install it. But it was relatively easy to get my daughter in and out of it.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I love everything about the Britax car seat so far including the adjustable height seat for when they start getting older. It has shoulder straps that come down over the body instead of across the body. It is very easy to install. Instructions were well put together and took less than 3 minutes. It takes very little time to put them in the car and also take them out.

Original review: May 7, 2017

I like the quick adjust harness, easy remove cover to wash and clean, click & go system, plush padding for baby's comfort, spring assisted recline. The Britax car seat overall has the best reviews around the entire web, which made it an easier decision to make on purchasing and not rethinking it a thousand times. It is easy to install into vehicle, a lot easier than I expected based on the reviews I received from my friends and family. Also many videos on YouTube to help those who do have a difficult time installing and those videos make it seem so easy to install. However, there is not enough growing room and is a bit heavier than most car seats I have lugged around with my nieces and nephews. I dislike this because I am an aunt with 15 nieces and nephews and if it is heavy to carry for an infant even in a short amount of time becomes harder for me to attend to the others when I take them out on trips.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Britax is a pricey seat but every penny is worth the safety of them. It is the most comfortable for car seats I have ever owned for my kids. My kids absolute love their car seat. It has a higher weight limit so they can stay in it longer. Everything about the car seats and brand is perfect. I've had no issues with it though it is a really hard and complex installation and takes some time to put them in. But it is worth it to make sure the seat is the safest.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Our Britax car seat is both rear and front facing. I like that it transitions from rear to front to booster so we can use it longer but also keep her rear facing longer. I also like the side protection and cup holders. The installation directions were ok but kind of complicated overall so my husband did it. And our car is older and doesn't have latch. Also, it sometimes takes a couple minutes to get her strapped in and buckled etc. Straps get caught and have to pull them from out under.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I've purchased a Britax Affinity stroller, the recline let go and I hadn't even had the chance to use it and lost my receipt so now the stroller no longer reclines. I called britax customer service line, I waited almost an hour to speak to someone. The lady I spoke with was completely useless and made no sense... Took the $ from my account and said a new seat was coming for 330$ as there was no replacement part to fix my problem. I went without 330$ for a week, no seat and then the $ was deposited back into my account. I then called britax back and again waited another hour to speak to someone, this lady said when the seat arrives the $ will be deducted from my account, 3 weeks later and still no seat.

I've thrown the stroller out and bought a new one from a different company. Then! The seat shows up at my door. I again! Called britax and waited another hour... The lady said, “I will email you a return stamp.” I never got this email or return stamp and am now stuck with a seat for the stroller I no longer have. I've never gone through such hassle and will never buy britax product again. They also need to look into their customer service people they have answering their calls. They are rude and incompetent. Very disappointed.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Britax Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat - We bought this expensive and supposed to be very durable car seat 3 years ago. We just found out a few months ago the bottom ends of the two straps were worn out to 90%. We were totally shocked and thanked God for catching this problem before any tragedy occurs. Had we not tried to clean the fabrics, we could never have spotted the potential danger. After examining the damage, we believed the bottom holes were poorly designed which should have been round and smooth to avoid cutting through the straps over time. We sincerely hope fellow consumers to avoid this product or do check regularly the straps integrity which was not in sight.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I bought a Britax Roundabout for my daughter in 2014. I bought it knowing I could use it with no problem until it expired, and splurged knowing that I was buying a good, reliable car seat. Boy was I wrong!! The hard foam on the side snapped in half! Really? After a few years?? I proceed to call Britax, and because my car seat "just ran out of warranty", I have to purchase the product. Unreal. "We would recommend that you replace it, but you can duct tape it and it will be fine". How am I going to want to put duct tape on my kid's car seat and trust its performance?! They should be sending me a new seat with the money. I am SO disappointed with this company, and will warn my friends! And will never buy their brand again!

Original review: June 21, 2016

I bought a Britax Boulevard clicktight car seat not even 3 months ago. The harness clip is broke so I call the warranty dept. The lady said she could have a replacement one sent out it would 7+ days. So I asked her what am I supposed to do in the meantime for a car seat?! She told me to just tape it. I repeated what she said to be sure I heard her right... "So you want me to tape my kid into the car seat?!" She said, "Yeah, that should be fine." Then I ask her if it would be okay if I was in a wreck or go pulled over. She said, "Yeah." I don't think so. Why they can't overnight the part I don't know, but I'm sure not taping my kid in a $400 car seat!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2016

The lower belt straps cross over the top of the thighs rather than at the hip. The strap does not cover the hips at all. This is because the belt that goes between the legs is at least two inches too short. I was told over the phone by Britax that they shortened the strap at the recommendation of the Federal Transportation Safety Board. I have a real hard time believing this because it should be common knowledge that the strap should cross the hips and not the thighs. This is a safety issue for children being transported in this seat. Please take action to stop Britax from putting children at risk of injury or death due to this design flaw.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2015

I called the Britax customer service yesterday to ask them to send a new basket and I spent an hour on the phone and then I get somebody to answer the phone. She wasn't polite and gave me an attitude even though she did send the basket but waiting an hour on hold is something outrageous and I don't accept if they think their time is more important than mine, they are wrong. I would never buy anything from them again (I'm not taking another chance to stay on line for that long). I have the Britax B Agile and I bought my friend the Britax B Ready. I would never recommend their products to any one of my friends even if it was for free. When you have a company that doesn't care about the customer they don't need to have customers.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2013

SHAME ON YOU BRITAX - Yesterday my daughter got sick in her car seat, so I had to remove the fabric to wash it. I then noticed that the foam that surrounds the plastic seat was missing on one side. Obviously concerned, I contacted Britax customer service. They said that the missing foam was a "replaceable part" and they will mail it out to me. I told them I did not want to shoulder the responsibility of potentially installing it incorrectly and mentioned the bigger concern of there being hundreds or thousands of other seats out there with the same problem that parents would never know about unless they take off the fabric on the seat which most people don't do unless they have a reason. I have 4 of these seats and the other 3 all had foam on both sides. They didn't seem concerned at all, even speaking twice to the "manager". I just filed a report with the BBB and Highway Traffic Safety Commission. AS A PARENT, I AM LIVID THAT BRITAX IS NOT MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF OUR CHILDREN AND STANDING BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2008 Car seat is unsafe-Chest clip pulls apart-with minimal pressure-Child can pull the harness latch and get out of car seat-WHAT A DANGEROUS CAR SEAT, and I can't afford another....
Original review: July 31, 2008

We own a 2006 Britax Infant Companion Car Seat. When our son was five months old, the handle that carries is started becoming loose. We brought it back to the store that we purchased it and they said they could get tighten the nut because it was too tight of a space. Right around this time our child switched to a larger car seat. We had planned on using it for our next child, we recently took it out and attempted to tighten the nut. Similar to the store that we purchased it, it is too tight of an area.

On July 31, 2008 I called Britax Consumer Services, notifying them of the problem. The represenative said they had no tools that could help and didn't really understand the area in mention. She didn't even bother asking for any of our products information. If this nut is coming loose and their company is not documenting or offering assistance to fix this problem, then are they liable for waiting for an accident to occur?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2007

I purchased the Britax marathon car seat for my daughter. I also purchased the Buyer protection plan which the manager said I would have no problem if it breaks. Well, it broke and now 2 months later, after filing the right paperwork and sending it certified mail, I still don't have a check and no car seat for my daughter. The car seat was $269.99. That's a lot of money to be out. Thanks, Toys R Us. I don't think I will ever get my check. They keep saying a check went out and I still don't have it.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2006

We own 3 Britax Marathon car seats for our three childeren who are under age 3. Our oldest is able to reach down and lift up the lever that loosens the harness. With one move he is able to release and pull his weight forward thus causing an impending risk. My wife is forced to hold the strap with one hand while driving with the other. I called Britax and they were unable to help me.

My goal is to bring this to the attention to the public to require Britax to solve this issue or offer a replacement. Each car seat cost over $250 and one is obsolete with the other two pending as our girls get older.

Britax expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Britax is a child product manufacturer based in Surrey, England. Britax began selling its products, including car seats, strollers and high chairs, in America in 1996. Since then, Britax has established a reputation for high safety standards and luxury products.

• Highly rated for safety: Britax car seats consistently win awards for safety. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated the Frontier 85 model the “best bet” for safety in 2012, and many models including the B-Safe, Marathon ClickTight, Boulevard ClickTight, Advocate ClickTight, Pioneer, Frontier ClickTight and Pinnacle ClickTight have five-star National Highway Traffic Safety Association ratings for crash test performance.

• Infant car seats: Britax’s infant car seats are designed for infants from 4 to 34 pounds and up to 32 inches. Many of these rear-facing seats have specialized anti-rebound technology to help stabilize the car seat in the event of a crash.

• ClickTight technology: Each Britax car seat uses the ClickTight system that works with a LATCH system or your vehicle seat belt to safely install the car seat. The system uses a ratchet to tighten and secure the seat in place easily.

• SafeCell impact protection: Britax car seats use a special system of safety features to exceed federal car seat safety standards. SafeCell impact protection absorbs energy and limits your child’s movement in a crash.

• Click & Go travel system: Britax’s infant car seats are compatible with its 2017 B-Ready stroller, so you can remove your car seat from the vehicle and snap it on the stroller frame for a simple and convenient stroller solution. When your child outgrows the infant seat, you can continue to use the stroller frame with its included stroller seat until your child reaches 55 pounds.

• Best for: families with infants, toddlers or young children, especially those concerned with safety features.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Britax Company Information

us.britax.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business