2.90/5
Based on 20 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Britax

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 15, 2017

28 Britax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have paid Britax hundreds of dollars for poorly designed/malfunctioning car seats and terrible cup holders that keep breaking. According to Britax my car seat is good until 5/2019; however, the foam has broken in two sections and their terrible customer service will not send out a new piece of foam.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I recently purchased a car seat from the local Target store in Gibsonia. The display model showed the car seat with the rebound bar. After purchasing & building the car seat at my house, I realized the rebound bar was not included in the box. I called Target complaining to them, when they informed me that they must have received the wrong display model from Britax & that's why I did not receive the bar. It takes me a week to finally get in touch with Britax due to my work schedule not matching with their hours. Finally I get in touch with Tracy ** a manager from Britax. She tells me she is sending me the rebound at no cost & I give her the information to Target Gibsonia to figure out what caused this mess in the first place. The next day, at 2:24 (around) she emails me telling me she will only give me a 30% discount on the bar, taking back her word of sending me the rebound bar at no cost.

Furious, because not I have to wait until Monday to call back, I go to Target in Gibsonia to find out not only did Tracy not call that store to see if the rebound bar was present on the display but she also did not hear everything I had explained to her on Thursday. Here I am, 34 mins waiting to get in touch with a representative. I have been on hold with Britax since before I even started the review. Might I add I had to sign up thru Consumer Affairs to even leave this review in the first place. If Britax decides to not do anything after I spent $299 on a $39 rebound bar after it was their mistake, I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. Target however has offered to give me the rebound bar off the display at no cost, price match a Chicco car seat to the Britax, & they sent me a $25 gift card, while Britax still has me on hold.

Still on hold. 39 minutes now I have been on hold. Poor customer service! If I would have bought a Chicco or Track, this would have never happened & at a fraction of the Britax car seat cost. What a shame! Below I posted photos of the display model at the Target in Gibsonia for Britax to see the lack of investigation Tracy had done when first being told about the incident at Target. Still on hold 43 minutes now.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 30, 2017

Installing the Britax car seat is very easy. It is very well designed. It's like they thought of everything when they designed it. I would buy it again and again and again. I like the quality of materials. I like that it is compatible with my stroller. You can take it off the car and simply click it into the stroller. Me likey. However, I don't like that there have been a few recalls on it. It kinda scares me. I'm glad that they are on top of it though. Very reassuring.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I really like the ease of use in the click-tight feature on the tightening of the harness. It's easy to secure my child. I like that it's too difficult for my child to unclick himself. However, I would make the shoulder pads a little more permanent. My child constantly takes them off and throws them. Then the straps make red marks on his skin. Overall, it was fairly easy to install. It needs to be in very good in case of a wreck, so I don't expect a very easy installation.

Original review: May 21, 2017

We have never used another brand of car seat so it's hard to compare what we like and dislike, but once we learned how to install the car seat, then we really like how easy it was to interchange the seat in different cars. It was difficult at first but once we got the hang of it there were no issues. We use a YouTube video demo to help us learn how to install the car seat. I don't like how the shoulder harness straps get so easily twisted. It makes it difficult to fasten the seat belts when they get twisted like that. There should be an easier way to untangle the shoulder straps on the car seat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Britax?

Original review: May 20, 2017

I like the solid build, quality. I like the style of the seat which is very nice and I also like the fact that my kid is well protected as one would hope for that price. Installing was particularly easy and I didn't have to read the manual all the way through like one would expect, which is located in an inconvenient place under the seat. However, the price is really at the top of the range of anything that you would want to be paying for a child in the world. The seat could also be smaller.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Comfortable, big enough for both babies and toddlers. Good design, baby likes it. The strap between legs is very short on Britax Marathon, but you can call the customer service to get a extension kit. Very good customer service. My husband installed, looks fairly easy to secure the baby, except the short strap I mentioned after baby grows bigger.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Our Britax car seat was very well made and sturdy. It was very versatile and is meant for several stages of growth. Our cost outlay could've been the same buying three different car seat/booster seats. It was also easy to keep clean. To install in the car the directions were fairly clear and it was easy to see where to put each strap and hook. Once in car it stayed firmly in place, fairly locked in. Putting a child into it was easy too. They were snug, the straps were easy to adjust and it was high enough for child to see well. It was very comfortable too. However, it was very heavy and took up a lot of room on backseat. When switching car seats between cars and also handling two young children and a new infant, it became unmanageable.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Britax has cute patterns on the fabrics and easy to order replacement parts. It's very sturdy and well-built. Ours will easily last until my daughter outgrows it. However, the fabric is "hot" according to my daughter. The car seats are also huge, heavy, and very bulky. There is no way to install them right next to another one. They are also not very portable. And it was moderately difficult to install. I had trouble doing it as I have trouble with my hands due to surgeries. My husband had to install it. But it was relatively easy to get my daughter in and out of it.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I love everything about the Britax car seat so far including the adjustable height seat for when they start getting older. It has shoulder straps that come down over the body instead of across the body. It is very easy to install. Instructions were well put together and took less than 3 minutes. It takes very little time to put them in the car and also take them out.

Original review: May 7, 2017

I like the quick adjust harness, easy remove cover to wash and clean, click & go system, plush padding for baby's comfort, spring assisted recline. The Britax car seat overall has the best reviews around the entire web, which made it an easier decision to make on purchasing and not rethinking it a thousand times. It is easy to install into vehicle, a lot easier than I expected based on the reviews I received from my friends and family. Also many videos on YouTube to help those who do have a difficult time installing and those videos make it seem so easy to install. However, there is not enough growing room and is a bit heavier than most car seats I have lugged around with my nieces and nephews. I dislike this because I am an aunt with 15 nieces and nephews and if it is heavy to carry for an infant even in a short amount of time becomes harder for me to attend to the others when I take them out on trips.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Britax is a pricey seat but every penny is worth the safety of them. It is the most comfortable for car seats I have ever owned for my kids. My kids absolute love their car seat. It has a higher weight limit so they can stay in it longer. Everything about the car seats and brand is perfect. I've had no issues with it though it is a really hard and complex installation and takes some time to put them in. But it is worth it to make sure the seat is the safest.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Our Britax car seat is both rear and front facing. I like that it transitions from rear to front to booster so we can use it longer but also keep her rear facing longer. I also like the side protection and cup holders. The installation directions were ok but kind of complicated overall so my husband did it. And our car is older and doesn't have latch. Also, it sometimes takes a couple minutes to get her strapped in and buckled etc. Straps get caught and have to pull them from out under.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I've purchased a Britax Affinity stroller, the recline let go and I hadn't even had the chance to use it and lost my receipt so now the stroller no longer reclines. I called britax customer service line, I waited almost an hour to speak to someone. The lady I spoke with was completely useless and made no sense... Took the $ from my account and said a new seat was coming for 330$ as there was no replacement part to fix my problem. I went without 330$ for a week, no seat and then the $ was deposited back into my account. I then called britax back and again waited another hour to speak to someone, this lady said when the seat arrives the $ will be deducted from my account, 3 weeks later and still no seat.

I've thrown the stroller out and bought a new one from a different company. Then! The seat shows up at my door. I again! Called britax and waited another hour... The lady said, “I will email you a return stamp.” I never got this email or return stamp and am now stuck with a seat for the stroller I no longer have. I've never gone through such hassle and will never buy britax product again. They also need to look into their customer service people they have answering their calls. They are rude and incompetent. Very disappointed.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Britax Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat - We bought this expensive and supposed to be very durable car seat 3 years ago. We just found out a few months ago the bottom ends of the two straps were worn out to 90%. We were totally shocked and thanked God for catching this problem before any tragedy occurs. Had we not tried to clean the fabrics, we could never have spotted the potential danger. After examining the damage, we believed the bottom holes were poorly designed which should have been round and smooth to avoid cutting through the straps over time. We sincerely hope fellow consumers to avoid this product or do check regularly the straps integrity which was not in sight.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I bought a Britax Roundabout for my daughter in 2014. I bought it knowing I could use it with no problem until it expired, and splurged knowing that I was buying a good, reliable car seat. Boy was I wrong!! The hard foam on the side snapped in half! Really? After a few years?? I proceed to call Britax, and because my car seat "just ran out of warranty", I have to purchase the product. Unreal. "We would recommend that you replace it, but you can duct tape it and it will be fine". How am I going to want to put duct tape on my kid's car seat and trust its performance?! They should be sending me a new seat with the money. I am SO disappointed with this company, and will warn my friends! And will never buy their brand again!

Original review: June 21, 2016

I bought a Britax Boulevard clicktight car seat not even 3 months ago. The harness clip is broke so I call the warranty dept. The lady said she could have a replacement one sent out it would 7+ days. So I asked her what am I supposed to do in the meantime for a car seat?! She told me to just tape it. I repeated what she said to be sure I heard her right... "So you want me to tape my kid into the car seat?!" She said, "Yeah, that should be fine." Then I ask her if it would be okay if I was in a wreck or go pulled over. She said, "Yeah." I don't think so. Why they can't overnight the part I don't know, but I'm sure not taping my kid in a $400 car seat!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2016

The lower belt straps cross over the top of the thighs rather than at the hip. The strap does not cover the hips at all. This is because the belt that goes between the legs is at least two inches too short. I was told over the phone by Britax that they shortened the strap at the recommendation of the Federal Transportation Safety Board. I have a real hard time believing this because it should be common knowledge that the strap should cross the hips and not the thighs. This is a safety issue for children being transported in this seat. Please take action to stop Britax from putting children at risk of injury or death due to this design flaw.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2015

I called the Britax customer service yesterday to ask them to send a new basket and I spent an hour on the phone and then I get somebody to answer the phone. She wasn't polite and gave me an attitude even though she did send the basket but waiting an hour on hold is something outrageous and I don't accept if they think their time is more important than mine, they are wrong. I would never buy anything from them again (I'm not taking another chance to stay on line for that long). I have the Britax B Agile and I bought my friend the Britax B Ready. I would never recommend their products to any one of my friends even if it was for free. When you have a company that doesn't care about the customer they don't need to have customers.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2013

SHAME ON YOU BRITAX - Yesterday my daughter got sick in her car seat, so I had to remove the fabric to wash it. I then noticed that the foam that surrounds the plastic seat was missing on one side. Obviously concerned, I contacted Britax customer service. They said that the missing foam was a "replaceable part" and they will mail it out to me. I told them I did not want to shoulder the responsibility of potentially installing it incorrectly and mentioned the bigger concern of there being hundreds or thousands of other seats out there with the same problem that parents would never know about unless they take off the fabric on the seat which most people don't do unless they have a reason. I have 4 of these seats and the other 3 all had foam on both sides. They didn't seem concerned at all, even speaking twice to the "manager". I just filed a report with the BBB and Highway Traffic Safety Commission. AS A PARENT, I AM LIVID THAT BRITAX IS NOT MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF OUR CHILDREN AND STANDING BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2008

Car seat is unsafe-Chest clip pulls apart-with minimal pressure-Child can pull the harness latch and get out of car seat-WHAT A DANGEROUS CAR SEAT, and I can't afford another....

I backed into a pole, while trying to get my 2 year old back in her seat before she opened the door. And I have had many almost accidents while trying to get her back in the car seat while on a highway doing 65MPH.

Original review: July 31, 2008

We own a 2006 Britax Infant Companion Car Seat. When our son was five months old, the handle that carries is started becoming loose. We brought it back to the store that we purchased it and they said they could get tighten the nut because it was too tight of a space. Right around this time our child switched to a larger car seat. We had planned on using it for our next child, we recently took it out and attempted to tighten the nut. Similar to the store that we purchased it, it is too tight of an area.

On July 31, 2008 I called Britax Consumer Services, notifying them of the problem. The represenative said they had no tools that could help and didn't really understand the area in mention. She didn't even bother asking for any of our products information. If this nut is coming loose and their company is not documenting or offering assistance to fix this problem, then are they liable for waiting for an accident to occur?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2007

I purchased the Britax marathon car seat for my daughter. I also purchased the Buyer protection plan which the manager said I would have no problem if it breaks. Well, it broke and now 2 months later, after filing the right paperwork and sending it certified mail, I still don't have a check and no car seat for my daughter. The car seat was $269.99. That's a lot of money to be out. Thanks, Toys R Us. I don't think I will ever get my check. They keep saying a check went out and I still don't have it.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2006

We own 3 Britax Marathon car seats for our three childeren who are under age 3. Our oldest is able to reach down and lift up the lever that loosens the harness. With one move he is able to release and pull his weight forward thus causing an impending risk. My wife is forced to hold the strap with one hand while driving with the other. I called Britax and they were unable to help me.

My goal is to bring this to the attention to the public to require Britax to solve this issue or offer a replacement. Each car seat cost over $250 and one is obsolete with the other two pending as our girls get older.

Original review: June 16, 2005

I reported to britax that my son who is 22 months old loosens his britax marathon harness straps via the harness adjuster, and gets his arms out of his harness, thus not protecting his upper body, I have reported this in may and also in june, britax told me that this is the first they ever heard of this, and that they would look into it.

well, after not hearing from anyone for a month I called again spoken to a susan porter and was told again that this is the first they heard of it, and I told them I reported it the month before, but nothing was on record, after telling her the problem I was having she suggested I use a saftey pin to hold down the flap covering the harness adjuster, with that I decided to do my own research on this carseat and I found 4 other complaints on 5 children with the same problem and that britax said the same thing use a safety pin, after reading the other complaints I called susan porter back again, leaving a voice mail with no return phone call, needless to say I kept calling until I spoken to her, and played phone tag, finally she said the company can do nothing for me that this isn't a problem, and transferred me to a supervisior Matthew Basani, left a voicemail for him, and not return call.

I called babiesrus where I bought the seat from, but because I am over the allowed time, it is over year, I cannot return it to them, that britax handles these problems, when I bought this seat is was britax highest model, well recently britax came out with another model the decatholon which is now higher than the marathon, and is has the old style push button aduster, not the one the marathon has.

my child is in danger of injury possible death due to an unsafe carseat, due to a manafacter defect.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2003

This is to ask you to please look into the saftey of the Britax Starriser Comfy Booster seat. There is no side support. My daughter would practically fall out of the seat. When a child falls asleep in this seat, they slump over. I didn't make this complaint until I purchased a different style seat and saw the differance for myself. I would not return the seat, because I am happy to take it off the road. Please check this out. You might keep some children form getting seriuosly injured.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2002

I purchased my third toddler car seat from Britax, one of the leading carseat manufacturers. The first two were great. I had to replace one of them. I had the brands called, the roundabout and they were good fits for my toddler. When I went to the store to replace the Roundabout, I was sold the Britax Advantage..very similar to the Roundabout except that it is supposedly easier to adjust..doesn't require one to uninstall the car seat to adjust the shoulder straps for instance...It also has a head rest. Otherwise it looks very similar to the Roundabout. The Advantage costs $50 more than the Roundabout, which is around $200.

I purchased the more expensive Advantage as it claimed to accommodate children up to 40 lbs and 40 inches. My daughter is approximately 31 lbs and 35 tall. One can not transport thier child without a proper car seat. It is the law. I went through the trouble of making an appointment with a CHP officer to ensure the seat was properly installed. When I later put my child in it, I found that the shoulder straps do not go as high as the Roundabout. They are currently slightly below her shoulder hight when sitting. They are supposed to be AT or ABOVE shoulder hight.

Needless to say, this carseat is not appropriate now, nor will it be when she is 36 nor as she approaches 40 lbs. I no longer had the box because it was tossed out at the CHP office. The CHP officer sent in the registration form. The store in which I purchased the seat said I had to contact Britax. I did. Britax originally told me they would exchange the seat for me and were making arrangements with the store that I purchased it from. The clerk at the store, also told me that is what Britax told her. After 2 weeks of run around, Britax regained thier earlier statement saying they would NOT exchange the seat unless it was defective...that is thier policy. The seat may be defective because it jams up when trying to tighten the straps...but the bigger issue is that the seat is NOT safe for a toddler to use.

They are willing to exchange it if the strap is difficult to tighten, but not if the shoulder straps are too low on the child(when the child is within the ranges Britax themselves specify). That makes no logical sense to me. In any case, first they said they would exchange the seat (having had all the information I gave) and were making arrangements to do so. (as can be verified by the store clerk). Then they simply said no.

This is an expensive...one of the more expensive...car seats. They are a major hassel to install and one can not transport his child without the seat. Every day, I need to take my child to preschool and home. I must have a safe child seat. Britax had a good name in my book. They don't any longer.

Furthermore, when I asked Deborah to speak with her supervisor, she said she was not available and would give me the same answer. When I said I wanted to speak with her anyway, Debroah said she would call me back. (I don't expect this to ever happen.) I asked for her supervisor's name, and she refused to give it to me. I insisted the supervisor return my call right away. I doubt that will happen.

Currently the consequences are that I have had to spend a lot of work time to ensure the seat is correct. I have had to make several trips to the store and spent unneccessary time getting the run around from Debroah. This is a safety issue, one that could potentially cause physical harm if in an auto accident. The seat is not properly made and the response from the manufacturer in handeling the issue is wrong.

Original review: March 4, 2002

I needed to purchase a new car seat for my toddler. Safety was my main concern and I wanted to purchase the best seat that I could buy. I was told by the experts at Buy Buy Baby that Britax made the best, safest car seat. They recommended this seat over all others. It offered many upgrades to the competition. It was simple to use. It reclined so the babys head did not slump over when he slept. There were even Velcro straps that held the belts open so that it was easier to place the baby in the seat. It was highly rated by the baby experts and so I made the purchase.

Within weeks, my 2 year old son was able to open up the seat belt lock and escape the car seat. This is a dangerous problem. I called the manufacturer and asked the representative why the lock was so easy to open. I was told that due to government regulations, the lock had to be easily opened in case of an emergency where it may be necessary to remove the child from the seat quickly.

My problem, however, was not unusual and the representative from Britax was not surprised. I did not need to offer the model number of my car seat. The lock was the same on all the Britax seats and the problem existed on each of them. This problem was common and Britax had a solution. A plastic cover snapped over the lock release thus making it child proof. The car seat can not be unlocked without removing the cover. Britax would supply the plastic guard at no charge to me. I would only have to pay shipping and handling. They would not however take the car seat back and recommended I return to the outlet where I made the purchase if I was still unhappy.

Somewhat concerned about this lock modification, I returned to Buy Buy Baby to ask for their assistance. They had complaints from many other parents that their children could unlock the car seat. They even stocked the plastic guard and would show me how to install and use it. It does work. My son can no longer open the seat.

However, now there is a much larger concern. This attachment is difficult to install and remove day to day and can not easily be manipulated with one hand. In case of an emergency, I can not get my child out of this seat quickly. Further, if I am unable to open this seat myself, someone unfamiliar with this safety guard would not be able to get him out of his seat at all. This plastic guard conceals the lock release.

Now, this top of the line car seat appears to me to be unsafe. In order to use it, I had to modify it from its original design. It is no longer user friendly. Clearly, Britax is aware of the magnitude of this problem. The plastic cover is readily available. Buy Buy Baby had boxes of the clips on hand. Unfortunately, knowing that small children can free themselves from the seat belt, Britax chose not alter their lock design. The 2002 model is the same. Baby safety being number one, I feel concerned.

Britax Company Information