Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

368 Discount Tire Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Bought four 65,000 mile tires x 118 per tire, plus 86 for installation out the door. Front two tires made it to 10,000 miles in 10 months, i.e. about 1000 miles per month, before they had to be replaced. I did miss one rotation and of course they used that to lay this at my feet. I said yes but the literature online says they should be rotated at about 7500 miles but okay, that still should not result in on 16% of the recommended tire warranty.

Since I missed the rotation, they had me so I had to focus on getting as much as I could for replacement value. They said the tire had gone up in price so any negotiation would start from that number, not what I paid. They worked the numbers hard, clickety-clack, clickety-clack on the keyboard until they, beaming with a great anticipated customer satisfaction rating, said I could have two new tires for 117 each. I said, "But hey, that's only a dollar off what I originally paid!" I asked again if they understood that the tires only got 16% of the warranty number. Again, I missed that one rotation, so it was my fault. Got a manager, same thing, only with more arrogance that how could I possibly disagree with the "best they could do" since I missed that one rotation.

I worked on them for another 40 minutes and got them down another $9 per tire, with every dollar of reduction accompanied by a verification that I was most definitely the one to blame for missing that tire rotation. Two pieces of advice from this transaction: Don't miss the tire rotation and, don't go to Discount Tire. I will be following my own advice going forward.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Worst customer service. Condescending and arrogant. Victor does not give respect and does not deserve respect. When I asked for assistance I was interrupted with Victor's rude attitude. This place and these guys don't deserve your money.

Get expert buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I do not recommend Discount Tire to anyone, they have bad customer services and their Tech is too secretive. They broke one of my lug nut stud and didn't notify me about it. I got home and saw one of the lug nut was broken, I then took it back to them to fix it. Instead of sending me to the manufacture to get it fix, they refer me to this stupid shop called, "SPARK". SPARK then fix my lug nut stud, instead of taking out the hub assembly they hammered the old broken stud out and hammered back in a new stud. My bearing from the hub keeps making noise when I release the gas paddle. I took it back to SPARK and they accuse that it was the ice that keeps making the noise. Come on dude I drive in the winter for more than 10 years. I know how ice is. Bad excuse and lame explanation. I do not recommend SPARK and DISCOUNT TIRE at all. They break your lug nut stud and hoping you do not notice it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Good service in Northern CO Fort Collins N. College. The associate on the phone was knowledgeable about products, costs and helping me get correct size off tire. Associate at counter helped me understand my options, didn't try to oversell and made me comfortable. Left feeling very satisfied with tires selected, my decision to use Discount Tires and the service.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I called them from TN on the 23rd to order two Michelin Pilots to be put on the front, on the 26th. They told me “we have those!” I said, “I didn’t tell which Michelin tire I need yet.” Once I told them they told me they did NOT have the Pilots. I fell back to the Bridgestone Potenzas, they couldn’t get those by the 26th either. My third choice, the Continental ExtremeContact. They could have in by noon the 26th. Arrangements were made, money was exchanged. We brought the vehicle in on time and came back to pick it up only to discover they installed Continental ProContact, NOT the ExtremeContact I paid them for. The ProContact is $40/tire cheaper tire than the ExtremeContact. Had I not checked I would have been screwed out of $80 worth of tire, and got crappier tires.

We went to have lunch while they fixed it. When we got back the guy we were dealing with was gone. The new guy knew nothing about the situation. Finally got the car back with the right tires this time. On the way home the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) light came on. I checked both tires and they set pressure on both on both to 40psi. The correct pressure per the placard in the door jamb is 35psi, which is why the TPMS light came on. I had to adjust pressure to the correct 35psi and reset my TPMS light. I want ask them if they use a torque wrench on the lug nuts and what torque they set them at, but I’m afraid of the answer. The facts speak for themselves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discount Tire?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The store manager at North Beach Street in Fort Worth refused to fix a slow leak caused by a small nail in the center of the tire on my new Dodge Durango that only had 3000 miles because I had gotten another nail at 1000 miles also in the center of the tire but was out of town and had to have a small independent shop repair it. The discount tire manager told me they would not remove the nail and repair the leak because someone else had repaired the first leak. He said I would have to buy a new tire from them. They put the tire back on the rim and back on my car with the nail still in my tire. I took it to another shop and they repaired it perfectly. My family my business and friends have been customers of Discount Tires for over 30 years and bought thousands of dollars of tires but after this no more!!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years but I will say in the last couple years they have lost touch with their customer service quality. I had a flat tire and was driving on my spare which was not safe. They had a couple tires in stock that were low grade quality so I had them order 4 Yokohama tires but were told it would take 3 to 4 days to get them in stock. I had a perfectly fine used tire in my trunk from a few years back when I got new tires (kept it for this reason). They would not put the tire on the rim for me just because it was 10 years old and wanted me to spend more money on a new tire when I had 4 ordered and waiting for them.

This is absurd and ridiculous and to top it off when I asked the employee named Alex where could I go to get this tire on the rim for me he replied back and said to try a Mexican tire shop. I took my keys. Went down the street to F and F Tire. The owner was happy to help me and put my used tire on my car and ordered my tires which came in that same day. Discount Tire is in it for the money now. Their compassion towards people in different financial situations has gone downhill as well as their overall customer service. I'll just take my money and go elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Today I went to Discount Tire in Boulder, Colorado to get a nail removed from my tire. Before I signed anything a store worker told me he would have the nail fixed in an 1 hour and 1/2. The same associate later came back - stated that after they removed the nail they noticed that the tire had a plug in it and they could not repair the tire. He also stated that they could not put the tire back on because of it. He also told me that my spare tire was too old for them to put that on my vehicle as well. So my choices were buy a new tire (of course) or tow my vehicle to Denver. I didn’t have the money to pay for a tow or the tire but I had to change the tire because the sales associate forced me into it.

I felt cheated and pressured into buying a tire when it was not needed. This type of service would never happen at Big O Tires!! I since I did not sign anything that stated there was a chance if the tire was removed I may have to purchase another tire it would have been nice if the associate would have gave me a “discount” because of the situation they put me in.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Poor customer service in Salt Lake City Utah - My mother has been a loyal customer for over 10 years. She recently bought new tires for her car from this company. Today we took her tire in because it got a flat from a nail. It was very crowded I understand that. We waited for over 3 hours just to patch up a tire. That was ridiculous. But the thing that got me was each time the so called assistant manager had a customer he walked each and every one out to their car. But for us, mind you we were the last 3 in the building and after hours and it was pitch dark outside this assistant manager just pointed outside and said, "Your car is ready." Really. When we went outside we had to look for our car because the person that parked it had parked it so far from the building. Come on. I get it the walls are white but what does that have to do with customer service. Discouraged from uncompassionate people.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

They broke and replaced a TPMS sensor when installing my new tires without telling me about it. The sensor they used was not compatible with my car and I wasn't getting any pressure readings. I made a total of 5 extra trips to Discount Tire and 2 extra trips to Lexus before getting the ok from the store manager to have Lexus fix it. I had to pay the $800 up front then wait two weeks to get reimbursed. It was such a frustrating ordeal. Most frustrating was the lack of communication. One employee would tell me one thing and next day, another would tell me something different. Least they could have done was reimburse me for the extra gas and time I wasted on those 7 extra trip. I will not be going back and I recommend you avoid as well!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years. I was a little disheartened when I read many of the negative reviews. I'm a very honest person & work hard for my money. First, I will agree that the wait time is long with or without an appointment; however, they are very thorough. Next, I never sense any tension between employees. They seem to work well together as a team. Management always jump in and help also. I like that. With any business you will have a problem sooner or later because mistakes will be made. So why such a high review? The professional way they corrected the problem, followed up,and let me know how they valued my business. I don't see myself starting over with another company that I view as not just a business but as friends, trusted individuals, and tire experts because they always educate you on your tires.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Tyler in the Cheyenne Wyoming shop is a fantastic employee. He helped us figure out the proper installment of rims and tires that would work on our 91 Suburban so we would be safe on the road. A 30 minute job took 2 hours trying to figure out which rims were safe on our vehicle. Without him we would of bought the wrong rims. Thanks again Tyler.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I recently called the Springfield IL store to ask them if they had a certain size tire for my husband's car. I only was in need of the two front ones. I was told on the phone they had 2 that fit in my budget and would fit on my car. I was told to come on in. I was a good 27 miles from them and drove all the way up there to be told once I was there that I should just buy all 4 new tires. Was given every excuse why I should buy 4 new ones instead of just the 2 I needed.

Finally after him bugging me so much I finally said, "If you're not going to sell me just the 2 I need then I am going somewhere else." Well let's just say I walked out of there without giving them any of my business. Went further down the road to a Wal-mart center who was glad to put on just 2 tires and received my 300.00 in business. Shame on you Discount Tire for letting your employees chase good business off. Not that a large company like yours care about the little people of the world on fixed incomes.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I went to the Monroe, NC Discount Tire with a problem related to new tires that I had purchase from another company. After explaining my issue to Richard he said they would be glad to look at it. I left for a work out at the local gym and after about 45 minutes I received a text that my car was ready to pick up. When I returned I learned that they had rebalanced all four tires and told me they believed my problem was solved. They did this at no charge and thanked me for coming in. I've only driven a few miles, but, I believe the vibration I had been experiencing for the past couple of weeks is gone. I would gladly recommend them and return the next time I need tires for one of my cars.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Had to have my sister's driver's side tire fixed. The people that work there are extremely friendly and always mindful of everyone who is there and waiting. The service was quick and I'm leaving a big shout out to them for not only fixing my the initial tire, but replacing the second for free due to it being separated. I do not have a warranty for that tire nor did I have the means to purchase the second tire at the moment. My gratitude is through the roof! Thank you Discount Tire!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Very poor service. Extremely long wait times. Appointments are meaningless, you will be told to get in line and wait your turn. How is that an appointment?? They should refund the service portion of the purchase contract.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Many of the experiences have been negative. One example is my son bought tires there and got hazard protection. Had a flat tire. Took it there and they said he had to replace - could not fix - until the manager found out he had hazard protection and suddenly they could fix it. I personally took two flat tires there and they said they could not be fixed, but took to two different competitors and both repaired with no questions.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Took my car to this racket called "Discount Tire". What a joke this place is - but it isn't funny at all. They wanted $568 to repair the rear brakes only. I told them they were crazy. I went to Midas and had the job done for $160. I would strongly recommend avoiding Discount Tire at all cost!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have had many bad experiences with Discount Tire. From employees being just plain rude, having family members who worked for the company itself being treated terribly, and always having a long estimated wait time that ended up being much longer than first stated. I decided to give them one more chance and went to a Discount Tire for all brand new tires. When I first dropped my car off I was quoted an estimated wait time of about 2 hours. So naturally I waited for 2 and a half hours to go back up to the store. When I had arrived one of the front employees told me that they had a couple issues that backed them up, but that my car was going to be the next one in.

He stated that the wait should only be about 30 more minutes. 3 hours later I walked up to the front again to ask what the deal was, and the employee this time just looked at me and asked if I had been waiting there the entire time because my car had been ready for over 2 hours. I would had hoped that after choosing to pay $1000 to this company I would have received better service than this. Not be told it will be around 2 hours, and 5 hours later I'm being told my car has been ready while I've been sitting IN STORE for 3 hours with my phone in hand and received no phone calls. The head crew member did apologized but said there was nothing he could do for me. Never again will I use discount tire. I shouldn't have to be apologized to every time I try to use a company that states they practice, "All around good service."

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I searched for tires for my car at the local used tire shop, Walmart & Sears Auto Center before stopping at Discount Tire 11110 E 41st St, Tulsa, OK 74146. THEY LIVE UP TO THEIR TAGLINE OF “America’s Neighborhood Tire Store”! The tires, with the stems and balance and mount, were the least expensive of any of the places I checked – WHAT I DID NOT EXPECT is a business that cared about my safety and actually worked with me to do something about it!!! All the other places told me the same thing that Discount Tire told me, but Discount Tire stepped up and suggested a solution that I could afford! I have NEVER done business with a company and/or people like this! The products are great and the people are caring!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I bought 4 new tires at the Discount Tire in Collierville. I went into another location store and came out and had a flat. Of course the store was closed by that time. I should have known better to buy from a discounter.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I would like to preface this email by saying that I have purchased approximately 10 sets of tires from this particular store over the years however over the past couple of years have become very dissatisfied with the service I have received. I am very pleased with the selection that Discount Tire provides and have always found exactly what I am looking for. It appears to me that the problems that I have encountered have been with the staff including the store manager. About a year and a half ago I called and spoke with the store manager, Mark, and inquired about purchasing 2 trailer tires for a boat trailer. He informed me that he would order them and that it would take 3-5 business days for them to arrive but that he would call me when they had arrived.

Seven business days later I called the store to inquire about the tires as I had not heard from the store. I was greeted by Mark on the phone who advised that the tires were showing as arrived on the computer. He told me that he would walk to the back and put his hands on them and then call me back in 15 minutes. Mark never called back so I decided to order my tires from Discounttiredirect.com and have them shipped to my residence. I did so and they arrived 4-5 days later and I took them up to the Discount Tire store to have them installed on the trailer rims. Mark was not there when I dropped them off however did assist me when I picked them up. He checked me out and then ask why I didn’t purchase the tires from his store. I told him the story and he did apologize but ask me to give them another shot.

In November of last year I purchased a set of tires for a new car once again using Discounttiredirect.com and had them installed once again at the Mooresville location. Mark recognized me and once again ask me to reconsider purchasing tires from his location and keeping the money within the community. I assured him that on my next purchase I would go through his store and give them another shot. On 09/28/2018 I had set an appointment for tire installation after I did indeed purchase tires from the Mooresville store. My father took my car in to have the tires installed as I was involved with a family medical emergency. My only instructions to my father were not to purchase the tire certificates. Tires were installed and my father called me on his way home advising that everything had been taken care of.

I asked him specifically about the certificates to which replied that no one had even mentioned them to him. I returned home from the hospital on 09/29/2018 and looked over the receipt that evening only to find that I had been charged for 4 tire certificates. At this point I was very agitated with Discount Tire however did have a day to calm down as they were closed on Sunday. I returned to the store on Monday, Oct 1rst and spoke with Mark once again. I advised him that the tire certificates were never mentioned, just added to my sale. He advised that it was clearly an oversight because there were three people assisting my father in the installation and it was just an error on their part.

I could understand it being a simple error if this particular store had not done this to me in the past. On that occasion I did catch it before I left the store and had it removed immediately. Very shady used car salesman tactics used with these certificates which lead me to believe that there must be some type of incentive given to the salesperson who sells the most certificates.

I do not intend to purchase any tires from this particular store in the future as I am beginning to question their integrity. I do believe in the Discount Tire chain and will probably continue my purchases thru the Discounttiredirect.com website. I would hope that this email would initiate some concerns from your company and even some policy changes, especially when dealing with the tire certificates. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I would like to do what their ad states and that is throw my tires through the window! Bought new tires, the sales guy lied tried to upsell me, then they put them on but didn't balance them. I had to drive on a business trip from Denton to Austin at 60 mph when the speed limit is 75, stopped and got them balanced on my way home. 30 minutes later pressure in front is below 20, circle back rude behavior by all was told it was a valve issue. Next day first time I get in the car the pressure in another one is now down to 14! Drove to another store 10 miles out of town after I called to say I was coming and that I had to get to an appointment in 45 minutes, got there and was told there is a 45-minute wait! I'm so over this company, they have untrained people, obviously NO customer service experience, just want to sell, rush in the bays, don't think they know what they're doing! It's a joke, back to support locals for me!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Left a fleet vehicle to have a simple screw taken out and repaired. Was told it would take an hour. I told rep I would wait and go get a cup of coffee and be back. Upon my return and after an hour and fifteen minutes I asked about the status and with a confused look and not seeming to be sure stated I was at top of the list. I told the individual just to return my keys as I couldn't wait any longer and by this time had wasted an hour and a half. He just returned my keys with complete disregard for the inconvenience with no apology or reason. Apparently, DT has so much business they don't care to take care of each and every customer. As I stated this was a fleet vehicle and they just lost more than one vehicle. I would not recommend this location and/or DT to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I have used D.T. for years, since my first car. There have been a few times where the service was as expected, but the rest of the time I have had my time wasted and was lied to by the staff I was dealing with. One guy at Slaughter location in ATX told me after telling him I was going to take my car to get fixed 1st before purchasing the tires, he said the mechanic's wont work on my car til I get safe tires and that was a lie. Same guy different time I came in for a tire rotation and a leak in the tire that I had an appointment for, I was waiting for over an hour when I got my car and looked at it, the tires weren't rotated so they didn't even service it at all and I will never get that time back that I waited for nothing.

Also at this location I have gotten disrespected to on the phone by the same guy. Last tires I bought the service tech took the valve caps that was a gift from a friend. Today I was told that my warranty didn't apply to the tire because it was over 3000 miles since the last tire rotation, which isn't true. He was trying to get me to buy new tires. I am looking for a different place to go right now, not using Discount Tire again.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I took my pick-up truck in for repair of a flat tire in the driver's side front. The young man who worked on my tire overtightened my lug nuts and broke one of them off. I told him I was leaving for a trip and he said my tire should be ok for a while. On my trip, my tire flew off and ruined my rotor and damaged my fender. Now wheel was damaged as is fell off. Towed, an extra night on the road, wheel replacement, all cost me over 800 dollars. My lawyer said I couldn't prove anything and so I have to live with this all because my lug nuts were over tight. The repair shop said that they could tell that my lug nuts were damaged by over-tightening.

I'll never go back. The young man who worked on my tire in the first place obviously didn't know how to control the impact wrench and put my tire on way too tight. My fender will stay bent and dented because I can't afford to pay more to fix my fender. A call to Discount Tire in Lawrence, Kansas resulted in a salesperson telling me that it was probably my fault for not double checking their work. Very frustrating.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I had an appointment for today at 12:30, they didn't take my car into the garage until after one. And that was after I asked why my car was still in the parking lot. You would think I would be out within an hour total. But it was nearly two by the time they got done. What's the point in making an appointment if they're not going to be on time. We've done business with them for years. This is the first bad experience with them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

We have been using the Discount Tire located in Mesquite TX for over 15 years. This store has the best service and friendliness I ever encountered. I showed up at the store an hour after closing with a bubble on my tire and they never hesitated on taking me in. I Love this store. The staff went above and beyond their duties and did it with a smile. I will never go anywhere else. Thank you Discount Tire Mesquite TX on Galloway.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Went in to buy 4 new tires... First I was told it would be done at 2:00 PM... Car was still where I parked it at 1:55. Then 15 mins later some guy told me I had overtightened the lug nuts... About 2:30 the car is ready except surprise they broke the lug nut and did not tell me about it till they did and give me a voucher to have it fixed and another shop. OK so we go to other shop to have the lug nut repaired and I was told it was too busy and come back money around noonish... So I did. Now it noon turns into 1:30 to 1:45. This is wasting two days work for something that should have not took 1 hour at most. If they would have told me they were going to break the nut getting it off the rim I would have told them no and came back another day that was better for me. After all this I will never ever buy another tire from Discount Tire.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I purchased 4 new tires on February 5, 2018... a mere 5 months ago. My tread is now at the legal for safety with only 23,909 miles on the tire! I went to the same dealer location that put the tires on to receive terms of the certificate or warranty They did not want to honor either warranty for replacement without me needing to pay an additional 400.00. I spoke with Joey from the Livingston, Texas location. I am wanting to return my tires since obviously this is either a defective tire or one of below average quality. This will not stop here and I would appreciate a fair resolution without additional hassle.

Discount Tire Company Information

www.discounttire.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.