4.6/5 (443 ratings)

About Direct Energy

Direct Energy is an electricity and natural gas provider that services homes and businesses in select states and territories. The company offers online bill pay options and smart home bundles.

Top Direct Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Direct Energy wasn't as high in cost as the other companies at that time, so I didn't have to pay as many. I signed up for two years in the Fort Bend area, west side of Houston. T...

Verified

...We used Reliant prior and I prefer Direct Energy over them. Our bills have been way less than when we were with the other provider and I have no complaints. Also, I haven't had...

What is Direct Energy?

Direct Energy is one of North America's top providers of electricity, natural gas and other energy-related products, including water heater rentals and warranties, for both businesses and homes. It offers protection, maintenance and repairs for all its appliances and systems, as well as easy-to-use software that helps track and control energy usage.

Direct Energy is a Texas-based company and serves a large population in Houston and Dallas. Not only does it give you the tools you need to be energy-savvy — it also prioritizes environmental sustainability and donates to various outreach organizations in the community, including Texas Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Miracle Network.

Direct Energy plans

Buying energy can be a confusing process, but Direct Energy can help simplify electricity and natural gas purchases. The company offers contracts ranging from 12 to 36 months. On its website you’ll find available natural gas and electricity-based energy plans, with four electricity options you can customize:

• Fixed-rate plan: This plan creates a consistent bill based on a customized contract and offers protection from changes in energy market prices. Your price will stay the same for the duration of your agreement.
  • Variable-rate plan: This plan doesn’t offer a set rate or contract term. Instead, it’s based on a month-to-month basis. You can cancel your service at any time, but your rates will fluctuate with the market.
  • Smart home offers: This electricity plan is bundled with smart home devices like the Echo Dot.
  • Free electricity plan: This is a time-of-use plan that offers some free electricity depending on your daily and weekly energy usage.

For natural gas, Direct Energy offers only a fixed-rate plan in some locations.

Direct Energy rates

Direct Energy provides competitive electricity and natural gas prices in its service area. Although its rates constantly fluctuate due to the nature of the energy market, its electricity costs seem to settle around $0.109/kWh for the 36-month plan and $0.118/kWh for the lower-tier 12-month plan. All its electric and natural gas plans come with a $4.95 base charge.

Direct Energy FAQ

Does Direct Energy offer month-to-month plans?
Yes, it offers variable rate plans for electricity (but not for natural gas).
Does Direct Energy offer natural gas plans?
Yes, Direct Energy offers fixed-rate natural gas plans in select states.
Where is Direct Energy available?
It’s available in 15 U.S. locations — Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, and Washington, D.C. — as well as three in Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario.
Can I pay my Direct Energy bill online?
Yes, you can manage your account online and pay your bill through the easy-to-use website.

Is Direct Energy legit?

Direct Energy is a legitimate energy provider that supplies over 6 million homes in the U.S. and Canada with natural gas and electricity. Its award-winning service is likely to meet your energy needs, and its competitive rates and upfront pricing make it worth considering if you’re looking for a new provider.

Direct Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: May 26, 2021

I liked Direct Energy's start time that they had on their free weekends. It was two hours earlier than Reliant. So, I could get more done on the weekends. I had Reliant for a long time. And then I was with Direct for two years. And then that contract expired, so then I signed up again, just recently, with a thing again for one year this time. Because that was what they had a good rate on. It's $11 something. I listened to them when they ran down all their plans. Because they could look at all my usage over the past year, and they told me which plan would be better for me. And they hit it right on the nail when the rep told me that my bill would be averaging between $90 and $99. And the last two bills since I started have been $99. It was good on their calculation on what I'm used to doing.

I pay my bills through my banking app. I always get emails about use this and things going on, so it's updated. And they break it down. The bills are simple to read and understand. Everybody did what they told me they were going to do. I tell everybody about my free weekends. Everybody in my circle of friends knows that I get to start my free weekends at 6 o'clock and not 8 o'clock. I'm very happy with Direct Energy.

Direct Energy response

Hi Dennis, we appreciate you are taking the time to share your amazing experience with us. Glad that you are choosing us for another year and we hope to be your energy provider for more time. We are pleased to know that you found the best plan based on your lifestyle. Thank you for your recommendation of our service. We appreciate the pivotal importance of recommendations, and we are fortunate to have a customer like you. Here is a link to our Referral Program page for details on how to receive rewards for referring friends and family to Direct Energy: https://www.directenergy.com/refer-a-friend#how-to-share/. Have a good day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Some friends of mine used Direct Energy at one time before and they said it was a good company and that I should try it. Signing up was very quick and easy. Customer service talked to me about different plans and some of them were too high. I told them what I was interested in, which was the one that they sold me on. I didn't want a plan that was too expensive on a monthly basis and I didn't want one where you paid a certain amount. I wanted to be able to have an electric bill that I pay in full every month and be done with it.

I've been satisfied with the plan that I have. I pay my bill over the phone and get a confirmation number. I'm used to doing that. As soon as I call the number, it says, “We found an account under the name of... and if this is you, press one.” It tells me exactly what my bill is, what I just paid for the last bill, and what my new bill is. That's all I ever need to know.

So far, I've referred nine people to Direct Energy. I've told each and every person that they are the best energy company that I know of right now. TXU is the worst one. I said, “If you want an electric company that you can deal with, and that's going to take the time to do what needs to be done where your account is concerned, you want Direct Energy.” My daughters are with Direct Energy now. I turned them over. A few of my neighbors have changed over to Direct Energy too. A lot of them said they had to wait until theirs expired then they could go with the new company. I told them to go ahead and change. They are going to see the difference in the bill that they pay.

Direct Energy response

Hello Linda. You made our day with this review! Thank you so much for trusting in us your family and friend's peace of mind! It is a big deal for us when our customers recommend Direct Energy to their family and friends! Are you familiar with our Refer a Friend Promotion? You and the new customer can each receive a $50 credit. To find out more information, visit our website at https://www.directenergy.com/refer-a-friend. Your trust and loyalty mean the world to us! Best wishes to you and your beloved ones! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: May 14, 2021

As soon as I moved back to Houston, I went with Direct Energy because I knew that I could get a good deal and they’re reliable. I had a pretty good plan. I got it locked in for 36 months. I bounced around from an apartment to another apartment to a two-bedroom and now to a house. The thing that I appreciate with Direct Energy is the fact that I don't have to play these games where I have to come in under 2000 kilowatt hours or I get charged double.

What these smaller electricity companies in Houston do is they try to get you to kind of slot your usage in between 1000 and 2000 kilowatt hours. If you don't get that slot, you're charged the minimum. If you go over 2000, you get charged wo electrical bills at the same time. With Direct Energy, I haven't had to worry about that because it's straight up your usage and here's your bill. It’s pay-as-you-go. It might be more expensive that way but I'm not going to get blindsided with a double-bill at the same time. For a risk-averse person like me, Direct Energy works. They are meeting my expectations as a utility provider. With regards to customer service, they're going the right direction as far as trying to be that complete home services provider.

Direct Energy response

Hello, Carl! You have no idea how glad we are to know that you are happy with your rate. We completely get how important that is to keep track of your usage and your electricity bill. It is nice to hear that after all this time when you got back to Houston, we were your first option as your electricity provider. We would like to thank you for your trust and loyalty to our service and hope to keep meeting your high expectations for a longer time! Thank you for being with us and for taking the time to share this review. Best regards! - Renee / Digital Care

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Direct Energy's customer service has always been great and that's important. But when we were enrolling, there was this huge misunderstanding. There were two different companies involved, Direct and Gexa. Initially, Gexa ended up taking the order because at the time, we were service shopping and Gexa had connected first. When I found out that it was Gexa that was the provider, I called both companies because we wanted Direct and not Gexa. There was this long conversation and Gexa was supposed to do whatever they were supposed to do. And Direct was doing whatever they were doing to get the services from them.

Then, I didn't know who did what or what happened, but the good part about it was everybody that I talked to was more than willing to help and figure out what was going on. However, I found out that Direct hadn't put the order in properly for the initial request for them to take the services from Gexa, so it didn't go through with the TXU people over here, the people who actually process the whole thing. And that was the reason why the switch didn't happen right when it was supposed to and Gexa had disconnected services.

We lost services completely from 4 o'clock in the afternoon and it didn't get turned back on until 11:00 the next morning. And we have four children, so it was not fun. We have a six-month-old baby and she had to spend the night at my brother's house. That was totally traumatizing but everything after that, service-wise, has been fine. And I know that Direct didn't do it on purpose. Plus, they ended up fixing it. But it took them a while to figure out what the issue was and that was because I was pushing and pushing.

Also, the one thing that I noticed that was really a pain during that time was the fact that there's a number that you call. Then, Direct Energy has another company, under the same umbrella but a different name, depending on what part of the state that you're in, and the main number that you call into will direct you to the other company sometimes. But they can't do anything for you down here. So maybe they should tell the employees which number to give out or who to transfer you to because they were jacking that up every time and they kept sending me to the wrong people. Other than that, I haven't had any issues with Direct Energy.

Direct Energy response

Thank you for sharing a bit of your experience, we are very sorry that you had to go through it and we are glad to know that in the end, although with setbacks, everything could be solved. Thank you very much for choosing us as your trusted supplier, we greatly appreciate that you gave us the opportunity and we will continue to provide you with the best service because you deserve it. We care for you and we will be more than glad to do anything needed to enhance your experience with us, so please feel free to contact us anytime you might need us. We wish you and your family the best and Happy Holidays! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I was in an apartment but I bought a house. When I transferred, I told Direct Energy that I wanted the service on a specific day. Even though my lease hadn't ended yet at the apartment, I wanted to move it already so I can get moving started. So they scheduled the cancellation but they never connected it at the house. They said they would have to wait for the people that were connecting and I asked them why they didn’t tell me that. They said that I was gonna have to wait till Friday. They did connect it on Friday but I already had three days without power and I have a kid and she was in online school. I had to accommodate for what they did and they just gave me $100 credit. I told them that I didn’t care if they gave it to me or not. The point was that I didn’t have power at the apartment or the house. And I didn’t have internet and AC.

Aside from that, the guy was telling me about a protection plan when I moved but I told him I didn’t want it. I never gave him permission to add it but he did. He said it was $11 so that means my payment was $11 more than it should have been. I already paid and he said he’s gonna take it off but I haven't called back to verify. But as far as pricing, it has been good. I got the free nights and it’s 12 hours free. That’s been working out for me although I haven’t had my house in the summer so I’m not sure how it goes. There might be people that do better than me but I can afford it if something is good. Because of that whole moving experience though, if that's what happens every time someone moves, I wouldn't recommend it.

Direct Energy response

Hi Doreen, your review is very concerning to us. We are sad to hear that you didn’t have the best experience during the transfer of service. You deserve better. Once again I apologize if your experience was not a good one. Have a good day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I had a salesman come to my door and he was pretty good about explaining everything. But my first bill came in and it's a lot higher than what I was usually paying. They've been giving me the runaround yesterday so I told them I would get back with them and see who I can speak with about my bill.

Direct Energy response

Good afternoon, Arnold. Thank you for taking the time to share this important comment with us. We care for you and we would love the opportunity to take a deeper look at your account and help in any way we can. Please send us a private message with a brief description of your concern and we will work diligently to provide you all the information needed. We look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you for the feedback. All the best! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I switched to Direct Energy and have been with them for one and a half months. To get a discount, I get direct payments so I don't get late on the payments.

Direct Energy response

Hello Jose Luis. Welcome to our awesome family! Thank you so much for giving us a shot! We will work hard to meet your high expectations. If there's any assistance you might need, please feel free to reach us anytime, we will do our best to show you we care. Thank you for this great review! Please take care and be safe! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Whenever I renewed my contract, the people that assisted me have been a great help in giving me the best rate or explaining all the plans and which one would be best for me. And if something was wrong with the system or I can't make my payments, I'm always able to make it over the phone. So it has always been a smooth transition. Also, Direct Energy saves me more money.

Direct Energy response

Good afternoon, Jennifer. We are so pleased to know that we have earned your trust and loyalty since 2012, thank you so much for your preference! We are so glad to hear that every time you reach us, you have the attention you deserve and that you're saving money every month, you are an important member of our family and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you for many years to come. Have a great weekend! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I get good service from them. Their reps help me out a lot.

Direct Energy response

Hi Vanessa. Thank you very much for this great comment! One of our main objectives is to provide our customers with the finest experience ever. We want every experience to be “five stars”! Remember that for any assistance needed you can always contact us and we will be more than glad to help you out. Thank you for trusting us since 2011! Please take care and be safe! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I'm very happy with Direct Energy. My service doesn't get turned off. They're very quick to pull my money out of my account.

Direct Energy response

Hello David. Thank you for taking the time to share your awesome experience with us. It feels amazing to know you're satisfied with our services. We work hard to meet expectations like yours, and we’re thrilled to hear we hit the mark for you. We have noticed that your account is now on a variable rate plan, with rates subject to change month to month based on market conditions. Please get in touch with us by sending us a private message through this review platform, o that we may review your options for a lower fixed-rate plan. We look forward to hearing from you soon, and we wish you a wonderful day! - Sophie / Digital Care

Direct Energy Company Information