CPL Retail Energy

Compare Texas Electricity Companies

Research top Texas Electricity Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

For April and May 2017, CP&L's payment system has double deducted from my account. When I looked at my account in May, I saw the double deduction, but saw they refunded the money. Which was fine, they were prompt to correct the error. However, on June 12th, I noticed they deducted twice again. Once, understandable sometimes systems mess up. Twice was unacceptable.

I called the customer service number June 13th, and was told it would take 10 days to receive the refund. No credit or gift card was offered. I was upset. It was a significant amount of money that I needed for groceries and bills. Turned to Twitter and the next day, Henry with CP&L messaged me. He offered me a $25 credit. It is now 11 days after I first contacted them and I have not received my refund. Do not go with CP&L. I have been with them since 2009. It's disappointing that they don't rush to refund their customers but expect their customers to rush to pay them. Horrible company. Will be leaving soon.

We moved from a different state and had to quickly choose an electric company in a short amount of time. The outages in our area affected us more than we anticipated, no estimated time frames and we received generic digital voice messages about the outages and the typical "we're working on this known problem" when you called customer service.

Despite these set backs, we wanted to take CPL with us as we are nearing our one year mark with this company. We are moving from an apartment to a house but will retain the apartment until May 2015 for reasons outside of our control. We need electricity at both locations temporarily. That said, we have to choose which residence to keep service at which is absurd because previous companies we have had to do this with will just inform you of overlapping costs, but otherwise connect service at the new residence.

I attempted to contact customer service again and was on hold for over 20 minutes and received the typical run around as we tried to explain our situation. We were bombarded with threatening tones of early disconnect (which we aren't since our contract expires in April) and since they refuse to help us rather than find a solution, we just want to get clear information regarding ending our service. Extremely frustrating how everything is fine and dandy until you are trying to leave when all these "snags" begin to pop up. Awful company.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

CPL Retail Energy is part of the Direct Energy family of companies. The business is known for providing South Texas residences and businesses with electricity.

• Community: CPL Retail Energy prides itself on being a community company, which means that it takes up many community service-based initiatives to help people living in the area it serves.
  • Parent company: CPL Retail Energy customers can take advantage of the benefits added by the larger parent company, Direct Energy.
  • Employment: CPL Retail Energy employs more than 2,000 people in the area.
  • Local: The company only serves the region of South Texas.
  • Customer service: Many customers experience inconsistent customer service.
  • Best for Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Compare Texas Electricity Companies