Consumer Complaints and Reviews
We moved from a different state and had to quickly choose an electric company in a short amount of time. The outages in our area affected us more than we anticipated, no estimated time frames and we received generic digital voice messages about the outages and the typical "we're working on this known problem" when you called customer service.
Despite these set backs, we wanted to take CPL with us as we are nearing our one year mark with this company. We are moving from an apartment to a house but will retain the apartment until May 2015 for reasons outside of our control. We need electricity at both locations temporarily. That said, we have to choose which residence to keep service at which is absurd because previous companies we have had to do this with will just inform you of overlapping costs, but otherwise connect service at the new residence.
I attempted to contact customer service again and was on hold for over 20 minutes and received the typical run around as we tried to explain our situation. We were bombarded with threatening tones of early disconnect (which we aren't since our contract expires in April) and since they refuse to help us rather than find a solution, we just want to get clear information regarding ending our service. Extremely frustrating how everything is fine and dandy until you are trying to leave when all these "snags" begin to pop up. Awful company.
ConsumerAffairs Research Team
The ConsumerAffairs Research Team believes everyone deserves to make smart decisions. We aim to provide readers with the most up-to-date information available about today's consumer products and services.
CPL Retail Energy is part of the Direct Energy family of companies. The business is known for providing South Texas residences and businesses with electricity.
- Community: CPL Retail Energy prides itself on being a community company, which means that it takes up many community service-based initiatives to help people living in the area it serves.
- Parent company: CPL Retail Energy customers can take advantage of the benefits added by the larger parent company, Direct Energy.
- Employment: CPL Retail Energy employs more than 2,000 people in the area.
- Local: The company only serves the region of South Texas.
- Customer service: Many customers experience inconsistent customer service.
- Best for Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses
Compare Texas Electricity Companies
CPL Retail Energy Company Profile
- Company Name:
- CPL Retail Energy
- United States