2. Shopping
  3. Grocery Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.55/5

Whole Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whole Foods?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whole Foods?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Customer service experience was very lackluster. Employees don't seem very willing or trained to help customers. Finding that they don't want to wear a poppy for Remembrance Day is another downfall for them even reversing thought of now we'll go to wearing them I will not go back to the store.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I would just like to give a warning out there to other shoppers. Since Amazon bought Whole Foods they have made some serious changes about the ingredients used in their products. They used to grow and use a lot of their own ingredients at each store which is why they were called Whole Foods. The original idea of Whole Foods, was that every store would cater to the community where they were built. The idea of the name Whole Foods, was that each store would source locally produced ingredients making it fresh food.

However, I have to give a warning out there. In the year 2020, zero products sold at Whole Foods are fresh. In fact, I have found more fresh and locally grown produce and vegetables at my local grocery store than at any Whole Foods in my area. The reality is, most of what is under the Whole Foods brand, including food products made at their bakery, deli, juice bars, and by their chefs are made with ingredients from premade frozen recipes that are shipped out from their warehouse in Texas. That is why Amazon purchased the company, because they specialize in wholesale packaging and shipping. Amazon has in essence turned Whole Foods into a fast-food chain, and has taken the wholesome out of their stores.

Proof of this is their Pizzas. 10 or more years ago I remember ordering pizzas at the Bedford and Nashua locations, and I remember the ingredients in their pizzas that used to be made with fresh ingredients and organic. I have collected old receipts and compared them with new ingredients, and the quality of ingredients have dramatically changed. There are in fact zero organic or fresh ingredients in their pizzas. Their products are now filled with genetically modified organisms, artificial preservatives, and sweeteners. Making their products no different from Dominos or McDonalds. In fact, I have found even healthier foods on the menu at McDonald's. It's sad for me to say this. This goes for their soups, salads, fish, chicken, bread and pasta, fruits, other items sold at their buffet and frozen aisle, and deserts sold at their bakery. Also including cosmetics.

When the new Whole Foods was built in my Westford Massachusetts community in the last three years, right away the quality of products sold had noticeably changed. I feel this is for what it is false advertisement, in that most of what is now sold at Whole Foods is not actually wholesome foods made with fresh and locally sourced ingredients. When you are paying the price of an advertised premium product, this is disturbing. I was surprised to find more local products at my local supermarket of Market Basket and Hannafords than at any Whole Foods location in Massachusetts or New Hampshire. I will be shopping elsewhere from now on and I wish this were not the case. In the past, it was one of my favorite stores. I can't say this about Whole Foods anymore.

Get buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I have recently noticed a strong chemical odor, mix of acetone and other, in products I have purchased that contain wheat flour. Woven Wheat crackers, Whole Foods brand 365 was the latest. Had to throw out three boxes, Nov 20 exp date. However, boxes I bought earlier were fine, problem was in the latest boxes purchased. I have also noticed this in bread purchased from Whole Foods brand recently - one loaf fine, another with chemical smell. I first noticed the chemical smell in some pretzels I purchased from an off brand and just thought it was because of the brank. Now I'm wondering if something is going on with processing/cleaning/etc. that is causing this. The odor from the crackers was so strong, I still smelled it when the boxes were closed back up and caused me to feel a bit sick. I have reported to the FDA as I am not finding any answers.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

Before Amazon took over we shopped at the local Whole Foods a few times. While they did have a few items that were exceptional we never understood the hype. But now it's a dump. My recent visit I walked up to the doors that said Entrance but were locked. Walked to the next 4 doors and the same thing. I literally had to walk to the farthest end of the building to get in. Asked about it to a outsider who didn't say a word.

Once inside it literally stunk like garbage. I found it hard to find what I was looking for and the selections were minimal, mostly the 365 cheap brand. Ended up not finding what I needed. Once before we had the same experience trying to find a decent bottle of wine - there were none. It's definitely gone downhill since Amazon took over but it was overrated even before. It was worth driving two miles to our favorite original local store.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I used to be a faithful Whole Foods shopper frequenting them more than once weekly to feed my family of five plus cats. However I have been expunged from the Whole Foods Family because I have a disability. Whole Foods has decided to discriminate against people like me who have disabilities. When I complained to my local store’s manager, he told me to shop somewhere else. Whole Foods has no heart.

Original review: July 3, 2020

We recently purchased 1.23 lbs of Tilapia at Whole Foods and were charged for Tuna Steaks. The Tilapia difference in cost is $23.37! Didn't realize until we finished dinner - How does this happen? Rip Off. Whole Foods Marlboro, NJ.

Original review: July 1, 2020

On top of what we already know this place is no longer worth it... Now, not only cashiers in there have an attitude every single day but the behavior of other employees is outrageous. Employees are running and horse playing around while I’m trying to pay 16$ for a bag of cherry. I asked the Cashier (Gary, Asian gentlemen late 40s maybe 50s a little heavy, bowed about 6 feet at the Charleston location in Las Vegas 7/1/20) why he wasn’t wearing gloves, he answered “why aren’t you?”. "Well Gary, I am not sitting here touching your food at my place of work now am I?" Of course no answer and no name tag, maybe his name wasn’t Gary but he Lied. I asked the flamboyant gentlemen were management was and the response was “not around"!!!! If I wanted to be treated like this I’ll go deal with self checkout at Smith's.... Not worth it anymore...

Original review: May 25, 2020

Since I am in a "leaving a review" kind of mood today, I thought I would take a second out of my day to note that Whole Foods "Sushi Bar" is like no other! OMG! It was so nice to be able to go in and take out fresh sushi as if I was at a restaurant. I will be back!

Original review: May 24, 2020

I have shopped at Whole Foods since the ’80s and they are a big disappointment. Aside from them being way too expensive they do not care what the customer wants. The customer service just is not there in all the stores and I have too many in many states. The latest is if you buy a meal they cannot even show the courtesy of giving you utensils so you can eat. They claim it is due to the virus. Before the virus they had their cheap dispensers but who would want to touch that when everyone had their hands on it. Then they had bins where everyone put their hands in it. Too cheap to get the utensils in plastic? Even Chick-fil-A knows that’s the way to go. Now with the virus when I ask them to get utensils in plastic they tell me no because of the virus. They say people touch them.

Who are they kidding, we aren’t stupid. People touch everything in the store so does that mean we should not buy anything? You pay an arm and a leg folks to eat there but they cannot even supply utensils. Too cheap? Yes! They rob us blind and do not care what we think. This is why I hardly ever go in there anymore because anytime I have, noticed it was worse. The quality is going down, the prices go up and their CEO gets richer! Wake up America! Shop only where companies care about customer service, quality, and fair prices!!!! They need us, we do not need them.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I purchased some mangoes at Whole Foods in Palm Beach Gardens. When I took them home and cut two of them open the same day, it was spoiled. By then, the store was closed so I brought the mangoes back the next day sealed in a plastic bag with the receipt. Brandi was there and stated no returns were allowed. I pointed out to her that I bought them yesterday and I was sold spoiled merchandise. Brandi was very rude and again said it doesn’t matter, that there are no returns. I told her I would file a complaint. She boasted that she was a “shift manager” and that “they would not get rid of me”. Brandi had no concept of social distancing and kept getting too close to me. She was not wearing a mask and I kept telling her to stop getting so close to me. She rolled her eyes and responded by saying “I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”

I have shopping at your Palm Beach Gardens store for years and have never come across such a poor attitude and such poor customer service. I have seen a dramatic change on the part of your customer service employees and managers since COVID. It obvious that you are training them to believe they are above and beyond civility and can set their own rules in an environment of COVID. You have trained these people to believe they are putting their “life on the line” by going to work and that they can say and do whatever they want. As consumers, we are being forced to put our life on the line when you have employees who think they can use COVID as an excuse to make up their own rules, abuse customers and take no responsibility for selling spoiled merchandise. There are millions of people who do not have jobs and unable to feed their families. Yet you have employees working for you who place no value on their jobs and should be replaced.

Whole Foods Company Information