2. Shopping
  3. Grocery Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.04/5

Whole Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whole Foods?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whole Foods?

Original review: May 12, 2019

Bought a pound of ground beef from my local Whole Foods. After getting it on a pan, noticed that inside it had a different color. It was stinky old beef, carefully wrapped by fresh one, in order to deceive customers. Even though I am Amazon Prime member, and this store is 5 minutes away from my home, I will find another place to do my groceries, and advice everyone from buying anything perishable here.

Original review: May 10, 2019

When WF located in my area, I shopped there at least 3-4 times a week. Prices were high but so was quality. Since it became Amazon Foods quality continues to deteriorate. I’ve always bought a lot of fish and I’m stunned at the condition of some of the fish they are now selling. The breads taste as if they are leaving out ingredients. Some dairy products are past due date and vegetable and fruit are not always that fresh. My major complaint is that you need to subscribe to Amazon Prime to get considerable discounts on products. That’s when I stopped shopping at Amazon Foods! I live in Northern NJ where there are many quality food stores that offer discounts to their customers with either the store’s free discount card, such as Wegmans, or stores where no card is required for discounts. I don’t need to shop at Amazon Foods. I’m lucky to have at least 14 quality food stores to choose from.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have shopped at 5 of the stores in the Houston area since the early 90s. I looked forward to their expansion in the Houston area, but not anymore. The quality of produce, meat department, bakery has taken a downturn. The produce is never consistent. What I buy is either not available or ready for the trash bin. I use to buy all of my bread at the bakery. Now I can’t even get one load of honey wheat let alone three which is what I buy. I’m told that what they have is out on a table, what’s out on the table is usually 2-3 days old or longer. I want fresh bread to make sandwiches with not toast.

The meat it’s difficult to get the cuts of meat I want. Can’t seem to get a grass fed sirloin tip roast anymore, can’t get grass fed 95% ground beef anymore. I’m told now they get 93%. They don’t consistently get that in. My doctor has told me that lean grass fed beef is the best to eat. I don’t understand. I use to be able to buy most of my groceries at Whole Foods. Now I’m having to go to 2-3 other stores each week. Very frustrated..

Original review: May 8, 2019

I complained about a bad seafood item bought...had to call twice...wanted to talk to the seafood manager...the customer service person didn’t even ask for my phone number when I had to call back after seafood didn’t answer. Then I complained online to the store and have no response. Mentioning this issue to friends the past few days I hear they have had issues in Cherry Creek and Highlands Ranch stores. Whatever happened to customer service in these stores we have loved? Word gets around...

Original review: May 4, 2019

Our Whole Foods was a locally run healthy foods store I supported for years before Whole Foods bought it and ruined it. My 3 biggest complaints: 1. They've replaced most brands with their 365 products, thus creating a monopoly. 2. Having to join Bezos's Amazon Prime to get a discount is ludicrous. It's not enough to give your money to Whole Foods. Bezos needs to get richer having you support his other business. Sick. 3. Local products have all but been eliminated. Shopping at Whole Foods is basically supporting a greedy corporation trying to monopolize the healthy foods market and negating the GoLocal trend!

Original review: May 1, 2019

Part of why the beautiful Whole Foods experience has taken a dive is that, since Amazon bought Whole Foods, they cut corners by treating their employees, even the best and most loyal, like crap. My son used to love to work there and the customers were happy, and it was an overall great place to be. Now the employees are overworked as shifts are understaffed, and the morale plummeted as the customers get less satisfied with products and service. But, does anyone at the top care?

Original review: April 29, 2019

They have replaced all whole shelves of products with full strength beer now in Denver CO West Hampton store. Products like Fred Mills flour products are now gone unless you order them through Amazon. Terrible the way it's going. The beer sales will put the small mom and pop liquor stores out of business and make the Whole Experience crappy.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I’m frustrated with Whole Foods' produce. As a matter a fact I shopped there because I could get produce that somewhat looked non GMO, was not overgrown and did not look too perfect. Since Amazon took over, even though they claim nothing changed, they no longer Have produce that is good. I can no longer find a parsnip of normal size, only tasteless giant that looks like it was growing next to nuclear plant. Loose organic beats are twice the size of my wrist (scary how unnatural it looks) this applies also to all peppers, eggplant, apples, oranges, romaine lettuce and a lot of other goodies. Strawberries that come from Giant Dole Corp are nothing but tasteless big strawberries. They should not be called organic, and I really should not explain why. They no longer purchase from smaller growers with integrity to be natural. American food is of a very low quality as is, and Whole Foods managed to lower the bar even more.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I always would visit the Whole Foods in Clark NJ to grab a plant base burger. On this particular day I visited, the chef that would normally be there wasn't. I filled out my order and stood there waiting for 45 minutes observing the chefs on duty. Being a chef myself I thought it was interesting to watch what they were doing. Customers came after me. I saw them being served.

Being a patient person I waited, eventually the chef finish my burger which I ordered with fries. She placed the fries in a different box and the burger in a separate one. I didn't see when she closed the box with the burger. She handed them to me with no smile and look pissed off. I took the boxes to the cash register checked out, got in my car and wanted to eat since I was really hungry, only to find out after opening the box that there was no bun with my burger, it was served with plain chopped up cabbage, burnt potato fries and tasted horrible and she told me there was no vegan plant base sauce, which they normally have.

Wish the chef that normally made it was there. I was very disappointed. Also whenever I order vegetables and tofu from the Edison store that they would cook in front of you they always overcook the vegetables and burn the tofu making it tasteless and bitter. I don't feel any of these chefs knows how to cook vegan plant base meals or understand cross contamination. And by the way it doesn't take that long to cook a plant base burger. As a regular customer of Whole Foods I am starting to reconsider ever buying their cooked food and will not recommend unless there is change. Very disappointed!

Original review: March 30, 2019

I rarely buy prepared food but I was crunched for time and happened to be near my local Whole Foods so I figured, why not? I purchased a rotisserie chicken, some ratatouille and a spinach and feta in puff pastry. The chicken was fairly dry and the ratatouille was fine but not all that flavorful. This would be fine if it weren't for the fact that I paid $6 and change for a tiny little portion of food that was just ok. The Spinach and feta was good and I will make chicken salad out of the rotisserie chicken. I feel that for $8.99 a pound I should be really happy with my meal and this was disappointing.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I love this store for all the healthy food products it carries. It is more expensive than other stores on non-sale items, but the quality of their fruits and vegetables, meats and deli, is great. They carry organic, fresh and non-GMO products, and a variety of unique foods and items. Their weekly sales in the produce section are very reasonable too.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I used to buy everything Whole Foods, that stopped with Whole Foods Market Downtown Silver Spring, MD. They sell rotten fruits and vegetable, spoiled cold cuts and they rip off customers daily at check out. Your prime membership is useless in that store. Yesterday I was overcharged $6.30 at check out, because they don't care reading the product labels. Organic asparagus were $2.99 for Prime members, but why bother reading the product label, right? Same thing today with onions: That store check out people enter whatever they feel like.

That store sells rotten vegetable and fruits day in and day out - I have several photos -. When cold cuts turn green, they should NO longer be on display. As for the figs and pecans in that store dispenser, you just don't want to touch them. That store has NOTHING of a Whole Foods. Someone should tell them that Whole Foods is supposed to be healthy, NOT rotten and dirty. Today was my last buy, and since I don't have time to go to another Whole Foods, that will be it for me. Don't they have a district manager paying surprise visits to stores???

Original review: March 18, 2019

LOL... I met the store policeman in the Boulder store today. He chastised me at length for "stealing" a corn chip from the food bar. It's true. I did it. I was looking to buy homemade ones, and tried first. They were bad, did not buy. I have shopped there since the day they opened. Until Amazon came in there were little sample cups and no problem. I do not sample entire meals, I can understand that could be a problem. I felt the policeman went overboard, sort of a power trip thing maybe. I have spent many thousands of dollars there. I do not have a budget to worry about. I do not say this as entitlement, but to illustrate that I have been the customer they want in the store.

You may note that is in the past tense. I am breaking up with Whole Foods and will never go in one of their stores again. Happily, Boulder has multiple and excellent natural food stores to choose from. Bullying and making a point of embarrassing customers is probably a bad marketing tool. Additionally, the store has become a lesser version since Amazon came. Many people feel this way.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have shopped at my local Whole Foods for years and on no occasion no matter how sincere they speak has anything ever been changed or improved. For example products continue to have no expiration dates on packing yet I have brought this issue forward a dozen times over the past fee years and nothing is done. Another issue is popular items disappear from shelves and the reply is...”blame it on Amazon’s computer programs”. The good news is prices are trending down. The overall experience is to push shoppers to use Amazon Prime and order online or expect a “hodge” of poor management and inventoried items.

Original review: March 17, 2019

The layout is difficult to follow and find items. The cost of the food is expensive. The selection of food items is fair. The food bars are often not very fresh looking. The cashiers are friendly. The store has some items not available at other grocery stores which is good.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Whole Foods used to sell prosciutto by typology as do most purveyors of cured meat. Now they sell Prosciutto Crudo without specifying what kind of prosciutto, e.g. San Daniele, Parma etc.... Spending that much money on a luxury product where provenance is key is ridiculous. I’ll buy prosciutto elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I am very disappointed in my local Whole Foods store in Clark, NJ since Amazon took over. Quality of the produce has has gone downhill. I haven't seen any organic grapes or cantaloupes for at least 6 months. When I ask about it, I'm told that they can't get any this year although I see them in other stores. Shelves are bare. Many times I go in there is no half & half on the shelf or the "sell by" date is tomorrow on milk, yogurt, packaged spinach, etc. I am looking for other stores to do my shopping. I am sorry to see this happen. It's a real shame.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I will no longer shop at Whole Foods as many brands have been replaced by the 365 brand. In general, the packaging is deceptive: nut mix packages appear to be larger and of heavier weight, but the weight increase is in part because the bags themselves are larger and thicker. This brand is rapidly becoming the only alternative with a range of products, and the quality of the food is declining.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Alternate brands keep going away- the one vegan ice cream with little fat that tastes great. ALMOND DREAM is now being discontinued. ** Whole Foods. I will shop elsewhere whenever I can to get the healthy brands I want.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I am upset with Whole Foods as a store since Amazon has taken over. If all I wanted for my main choice of items in different categories of food was the 365 brand, then I would just go to a Safeway, QFC or a Fred Meyer. The 365 brand as far as quality on a scale of 1 to 5 is a 2 in my opinion. I do not trust their "non GMO" claims or "organic" offerings either. All one needs to do is to look at the labels and the ingredients and the taste (!) to figure out what is being truly offered. As well they use canola oil (as does Whole Foods) which is actually toxic and reeking of Monsanto's herbicide Roundup. "Today, about 90% of the world's canola crop is genetically modified" and Canola oil is made with a highly unnatural processing method that involves high heat, deodorization and the toxic solvent hexane. Significant amounts of trans fats are formed during this process.

In addition, the hot bar has gone downhill and the area is not being kept up as well as it used to be and what has happened to any of the organic soups?? There used to be at least 1 or 2 to choose from on any given day. Also, what happened to the gluten free pizza?! I miss some of the body care products that were offered. More of the quality ones, again, that are more original and yes maybe a little more expensive but worth it! One gets what they pay for in this life.

Yes, maybe the store "used to be" a little higher in cost as a whole but one could pick and choose from what they were willing to spend more for, like higher quality, true organic offerings and could shop elsewhere if they wanted "cheaper." Now Amazon, I mean Whole Foods, is turning into a cheap, low quality store instead of still offering some "hard to find" original, quality, and organic brands. Looks like I will be spending more of my food and lifestyle dollars at PCC Markets and Metropolitan Markets from now on. Shame on Whole Foods!! They have left many loyal patrons of many years down-hearted and definitely disappointed in many of the changes. Two thumbs down from me!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

After reading about 50 reviews up here, I've learned a few things... Either people are just RIDICULOUSLY PICKY, I'm blessed to leave near a great Whole Foods (White Plains, NY), or I'm just an uncultured noob who doesn't have the same finely-tuned senses as most everybody else commenting here. First, the produce is UNBELIEVABLY FRESH. I bought a few salad bags and boxes, both of which still did not have any trace of wilting or spoilage, even a few days past the sell-by date.

Second, the Fuji apples were so sweet about four days after I bought them, that I could barely eat them. Third, EVERYONE goes out of their way to help you. Whether it's their department or not, I had people from behind the bakery helping me look for stuff down the aisles. You'd think it was a membership-driven club store, the way they catered to me. Finally, their meats and fresh fish are the best I've ever had. No odors, and they cook up beautifully. I highly recommend the fresh scallops with their French hoity-toity butter from the dairy case, and a little minced garlic. So high-horse riders: Chill out, or go to White Plains.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Chicken. Tortilla. Soup. What happened? I've developed allergies as an adult to eggs, gluten and dairy. (Yes, it's awful) I could usually go to Whole Foods at any location and find things that I loved to eat and they would have simple ingredients that were easy to ready and kept me informed. Great hot bar products and wonderful prepared foods. One by one they are disappearing. That product you loved and bought for the last 10+ years at Whole Foods? Discontinued. Gone. Recipes changed because of supplier changes due to what I can assume are management changes by Amazon to how Whole Foods has been run. The Chicken Tortilla soup - a standby I could always count on now contains the allergen MILK. WHY???

Additionally The taco bar can't feature the fresh meats like pulled chicken, pulled pork or steak. Everything is OVER seasoned with a mystery combination of ingredients that aren't clearly listed when ordering. The pulled meats from the BBQ always sell out quickly every time but I've been told by staff these items are not approved and will not be coming back. Instead we are served ordered items with recipes that lack transparency - recipes that change at the drop of a hat to cut costs. I just can't trust Whole Foods any longer. I love Whole Foods. I've worked for Whole Foods. I've shopped at Whole Foods because I truly believed in their products and the companies they support. Amazon is absolutely running them into the ground and destroying what this company once offered - SOMETHING DIFFERENT: BETTER FOOD.

I'm really disappointed with products disappearing like Cassava flour which a grocery team member said was very popular but the decision with the reset was to cancel it. I just can't trust Whole Foods anymore. I miss Whole Foods. When they were acquired by Amazon I had hope...but now I'm giving up and looking to other stores that carry a larger variety of organic non-GMO products like Wheatsville Food Co-op, Natural Grocers. Central Market, etc. Whole Foods once had the hands down BEST of all organic grocers, products amazing prepared foods but now you're just another giant chain that carries a handful of suppliers that they partner with and having no interesting, new offerings and axing beloved items because they don't perform in the top tier of sales.

There's some of us (who have dietary restrictions and issues) who rely on you to carry the different items so we can still make the foods we love. When you discontinue items for people who need alternatives to the traditional fare it feels like such a betrayal. Chicken. Tortilla. Soup. It was one of the last things I could enjoy on your hot bar offering that wasn't a steamed vegetable or plain rice. It was always available and now I can never have it again. Hope you're saving money on that supplier because I won't be buying it ever again. I just can't trust Whole Foods anymore.

I know this message will go to someone meant to mediate and handle customer relations and clearly understand that my message won't change anything. I'm just so utterly disappointed that I am not only sharing this here but I will be sharing it on all social media, review websites and consumer ratings. I'm not happy with the changes Amazon has made. They've ruined Whole Foods.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I've been going to the Bellingham, MA Whole Foods every week since it first opened over 20 years ago, but since Amazon bought Whole Foods, things have been going downhill. First it was the Mousse du Perigord that they would cut for you. It was so fresh and absolutely delicious! I bought it for every holiday. Gone! Then it was the ability to buy Arborio rice from the bins, a staple. Gone! Then it was the Chinese eggplant, fresh and tasty and just the right size for even roasting. Gone! Same with Savoy cabbage. Gone! Now it's the 365 meat rubs, the Southwestern, the Mediterranean for lamb and the other Mediterranean for seafood. Gone! So guess what I am. GONE!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I usually shop at the Whole Foods at Lake Grove in Suffolk County NY which I would give 5 stars. The Darien CT Whole Foods is a disgrace. I ordered a cake for a shower. After much discussion the cake was not to order, I ordered different filling and a different trim. The baker totally ignored my requests. The cake was $75 - not cheap by any standard. The mini cookie platter featured stale cookies. The girl who prepared it was so friendly the day before. I couldn't believe she would give me stale cookies. The platter cost a grip too - for what? The fruit platters which were $40 each had hacked not cut fruit which resembled what an 8 year old who just learned how to handle a knife would present. A slice of the fruit was slimy according to a guest at the party. How embarrassing. Never again Whole Foods in Darien, CT. Thank God I don't have to frequent again. I was hosting an out of town party and thought I could trust Whole Foods.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Whole Foods used to be the gold standard for food of all kinds, not anymore. The olive bar has mainly pitted olives - which I can buy anywhere, the last Madeleines I bought were stale, the vegetable choices have diminished - mainly prepackaged veggies now, and my local independent grocery store, Graul's, has mung bean sprouts - but not my local Whole Foods. I recently e-mailed Whole Foods to tell them how I hated what they had done to the store, and the manager called me, not to listen to my complaints, but to defend what they've done. Jeff Bezos has taken the best grocery store I've ever shopped at, anywhere in the world, and is turning it into an Acme Mart. What a shame.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Whole Foods Walnut Creek, CA- I have had consistently bad experiences with the food in the hot food bar. The choices are terrible. Food is overcooked, looks like it's been sitting for a long time, there’s choices that make no sense such as gravy but nothing to put it on. Condiments are provided such as chutney but nothing to go with it. Yesterday I wanted a simple slice of pizza, but nothing was available except for the supreme pizza which I didn’t want. When I asked the woman behind the counter if more pizza would be coming out I was ignored. During the 40 minutes we were shopping I kept checking for pizza and it wasn’t there. This is EXPENSIVE FOOD! There is no excuse for ** food and bad service.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Because I am disabled and cannot cook for a crowd, I ordered the Thanksgiving Dinner for 8 with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and cranberry sauce, plus a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie. My hope was that since Whole Foods is usually assumed to be very high quality along with its “whole paycheck” price, the dinner would be good enough for company. The total was approximately $160.

Only the turkey measured up to the quality one would expect given the extremely high price. The mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans were adequate but nowhere near the quality of homemade. The stuffing was flat out inedible. Both of the pies were probably about the quality you might get from a pie purchased at a gas station. They were not good. I would say inedible also, except that a couple of polite guests actually ate a few bites. I would never, never again purchase a prepared dinner or any other prepared food from Whole Foods Market. I do not understand how they came by their reputation or how they justify charging a mint for extremely inadequate food.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Christmas dinner :( - Like Amanda of Erie PA, I too spent a tidy sum of money on a bone-in prime rib at Whole Foods, Dublin, OH and was very disappointed. I have cooked this type of meat before so it was not new to me. After cooking, it looked perfect but when we went to cut and eat it, it was chewy and tough. My family was extremely disappointed with the meat and I was embarrassed to serve it. After looking at the entire process of cooking it appears it was not a high quality cut of beef.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Spent a tidy sum of money on some boneless, special-cut, "beef" chuck ribs as part of the holiday dinner. After slow cooking several hours with an appropriate liquid medium, in a professional braising pan and using a thermometer to keep an eye-on-things, the meat was not even remotely palatable plus it had a strange odor associated with the rendering fat. The pieces fell apart nicely and had the appearance of being "perfect" but was extremely tough and stringy. Couldn't chew it. Couldn't serve it. So after the meal, I placed the pieces in a slow-cooker several more hours. It still was not eatable and tossed the whole mess away.

I place the word "beef" in quotes because after checking with a seasoned friend of mine, who was a professional line cook, she questioned if it was beef at all. I explained to her how I handled the prep and she said I did everything correctly. I have cooked this kind of beef rib a few times in the past and never had an issue until I bought whatever this was from Whole Foods in the Orange/Pinecrest, Ohio area. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm sorry I didn't save any of it to send to a lab for identification. Who knows!? Couldn't star-rate any lower. Perhaps someday someone will start a negative-star rating system or maybe use a black-hole symbol because that's where your money and personal enjoyment will go with this kind of experience.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I went to Whole Foods market in Tulsa-(the one in Yale Ave) one day to try to buy a hot roasted chicken. The place they store chicken is so small and I have hard time to reach it and finally burn my skin when I tried to get a bag of chicken. I told supervisor and she didn't seems care and just said sorry. I call headquarter in Austin to complain and a representative seems agree with everything I said and promised she will make report of it. But a few weeks later when I back to Whole Foods market nothing was improved or change. I have suggest they should change how do they store the hot chicken so no one else will get burn.

In the Summer time, the salad bar area has all the flyers stay on the foods, it has scare me to eat there. I have told supervisor this issue and nothing change either. Very disrespectful company. All they care about is their own profit, not customers at all. I will stop going there from now on. There are some other fresh market around, the price and quality are much better than Whole Foods market. Just because they have associate with Amazon, it doesn't mean they will last long.

Whole Foods Company Information