Whole Foods

Compare Supermarkets

Research top Supermarkets recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I shop weekly at the W.F. store in NYC on 3rd avenue @ E. 87/88 st.Yesterday (Friday) at 1:20 p.m. #4 cashier only put the receipt in my bag. He refused to bag my groceries. I have multiple disabilities and also wear a wrist brace which is in full view. Due to my disability I am slow and have difficult writing, picking up items, carrying and so it took a lot longer for me to bag my groceries than it would of taken him.

At first I did not even notice that he was not bagging my groceries because I need to concentrate to get out my credit card, swipe it and then return my card to my wallet. I also was unaware that the next customer was standing behind me waiting to check out her groceries. I also felt that this cashier was laughing at me. I have had disabilities for 30 years. I have been and occupational therapist for 20 years. I did call the store and asked for the manager of the cashiers and left a report and she replied she knew who he is and would speak with him. If this had happened to one of my patients I would have been very upset.

I'm not a regular at Whole Foods but this Thanksgiving Day I decided to go for Healthy Options and this store came to mind; what a disappointment! An embarrassment on my dinner table, the fruit tart looks old, smells old - taste is terrible; mac and cheese? I haven't had mac and cheese that nasty; the over-cooked pasta tastes like you're eating a clumped flour; turkey gravy was too watery and no taste. The stuffed mushroom was ok but for the money I'm paying I expected something better and to make matters worse, our thanksgiving dinner recipe includes soup only to be told after an hour of waiting for my order that they ran out of lobster bisque; so BEWARE!!! Whole Foods is overrated; very pricey for bad food and bad service.

I used to love the salad bar at Whole Foods because everything was made with olive oil or oil free. The last time I was in I could not find anything using olive oil. The only oil they listed was canola oil. To me this means their salads are no healthier than any other grocery chain.

I used to love Whole Foods and would go out of my way to shop there. When they opened in my neighborhood - I was so happy. At first - customer service was good and I've seen that declining each time I go in there. There might be one or two that are helpful but as a whole - they are super rude and have an attitude. I'm not rude and should not be treated with rudeness, I'm a paying customer - a little common courtesy goes a long way - I say thank you because you loaded my groceries - I expect an acknowledgment in return - "You're Welcome" would be nice - but silence/being ignored is not acceptable - not for a chain that size. I tried writing the store about an altercation at the bread counter where the employee sassed at me and I received no reply. I'm on the verge of boycotting the store.

Whole Foods Annapolis MD. 11/13/16 Sunday. I spoke up when the - 2nd - man who walked up to the meat counter after I was waiting, was offered help. Please get a "take a number" dispenser. It wasn't very crowded and was either deliberate or they're really bad at paying attention to who's next.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whole Foods?

I just had the most ridiculous experience with the person who called himself a manager at this location. I tried to pay with a hundred dollar bill that I got from chase bank. They not only refused to take it with not really giving me an explanation of why was wrong with it but also demand that I leave the store and threatened to call the police. Mariano's didn't have any issues with my money. This person who works there as a manager should at least get coached on how to speak to the customers.

Generally, I am glad that there are stores such as Whole Foods and Mothers that carry safer and healthier food selections, especially in respect to items with lower sugar and the elimination of trans fats and hydrogenated oils. I live in California and the state banned these items from foods with the exception of manufactured items that are pre-sealed and the regular chains still carry these harmful items.

However, the other day I was in our local store in Orange County and was looking for some fresh pomegranate juice. I like the fact that there are usually WF people in the aisles to ask for assistance. I had a question about pasteurization or something and the young man said, "you know these items are so over-priced" and he went on his way. I was surprised by his candor and didn't buy the juice. I found the same product at Kroger's for half the cost. It made me feel like an idiot for shopping there. So, while I am glad for the better offerings at WF, I am now going back and forth between stores until WF can become more competitive. I was also interested in a previous Review that spoke of working conditions there. I was curious as I was considering applying.

I am a daily customer at the Whole Foods store in Winston-Salem. As a person on a strict diet recommended by my doctor, I typically go to the store 5-7 times a week. During the time period of Sept. 12-19, 2016, the entire hot bar area at the Winston-Salem door was closed while the cooking equipment was repaired and updated. In addition, no soup, pizza, and cooked items in the salad bar were available. Written signs were posted throughout the store saying that all of the facilities would be back up by Sept. 19.

On Sept. 19, I called the store and was told that the hot bar was reopening. I eagerly returned and was surprised to see that not only was the hot bar not functioning, but the store staff did not know when it would return. I ran into other customers who had been waiting for the return of the hot bar but were confused that it was not ready. On Sept. 21, I called again and was told that the hot bar would re-open in the afternoon. When I arrived that evening, Whole Foods had hired a food truck called Spice Delight to stand outside the store. This food truck specialized in southern dishes, but offered little fare that fit my diet.

I noticed that as well as the lack of pizza, soup, rice, cooked food. The salad bar at Whole Foods also was smaller in size. When I asked the supervisor about this problem with the salad bar, I was told that they had prepared pre-cooked items (such as grilled vegetables) for the period Sept. 13-19, but had not been ready for an extended closure of the cooking facilities. As the week went on, different Whole Foods staff members said they were unsure when the hot bar would return. This lack of information was frustrating to me.

On Monday, Sept. 26, the hot bar finally reopened. I asked to speak to the store manager on that day. I met with Ryan. I asked Ryan about the lengthy delay in reopening the hot bar past Sept. 19 and all of the associated confusion. Ryan replied that Whole Foods had to refurbish the kitchen's cooking facilities and that is why it took 2 weeks. I asked him about the signs which had promised that the job would be finished by Sept. 19, but he refused to answer. Ryan did not explain the delays, or all of the confusion to customers caused by the delays.

As the store manager would not explain properly or clearly this unfortunate situation, I contacted Whole Foods corporate customer service by way of the Whole Foods website, www.wholefoodsmarket.com on Sept. 27, 2016. Their automated system generated an acknowledgment of receipt of my complaint, generated a complaint number (Customer Care Case # **), and stated that "a member of our global team will be reaching out to you as soon as possible." When I did not receive a reply within two weeks, I sent in a follow-up request on Oct. 10 citing the complaint number. On Oct. 17, I phoned Whole Foods corporate customer service number (512 542-0878). No one picked up the phone, but I was able to leave a message. I called back twice after that and left follow-up messages. I have never heard back from Whole Foods. I find Whole Foods' lack of concern for customer issues alarming and disturbing.

It must have been around 5 pm on Sat., 15, 2016 that my brother and I chose to go to Whole Foods for pizza after that we've been doing some administrative work really early the morning. Typically, everywhere I go I am known as an amicable customer. I address every barista or cashiers by, honey, and that shows how much respect I have for society. Those of the opposite sex I always find something nice to say a nice complement after I leave the store and even If my pizza, burrito or dish did not meet my standards.

However, this afternoon, I went to Whole Foods and headed to order a pizza to eat inside the store. I ordered a pizza with three topping: pepperoni, chicken and mushrooms. Then, I gave him instructions how I wanted it to be done. He told me, "ok" and the pizza will be ready in "15-20 min." He handed me out my ticket for 18 dollars and I went to grab a couple of cold drinks then we pay. For, this time 20 minutes had already passed. I go grab my pizza and not the guy that made my pizza but a different kind of guy by the name of Timothy asked for my ticket. I personally, have a problem with people asking me for my invoice or receipt. I get the pizza but he snatches off my hands because he says "I do need to see your receipt" but I say "no you don't".

I am a man of trust plus I've been doing business with Whole Foods for a long time and only three years with this one in Cornell Road. Timothy and David are really rude and Whole Foods should not hire rude people. Staff at this store has the habit of staring. Has Whole Foods a hidden agenda against Latinos in this part of Cornell Road, Hillsborough and Aloha, Oregon? Why Whole Foods ask for receipts to Hispanics or Latinos and not their own lineage who are the most criminal?

ED Cashiers like to chat with each other more than serving customers, especially if the customers are women. The Express check-out is ** since nobody pays any attention to it and you wait in the so-called Express line 5 times longer than the REGULAR check out line because of that. The in-store products are limited and often disappear within months without notice. The prices are ridiculous, even for a Whole Foods store, i.e. Giovanni hair care products suddenly went up 25% for no apparent reason. I can get the same products on Amazon.com for 75% less. The quality of fresh produce relative to the price is insane.

I advise you to stop catering to one-time-out-of-time American tourist customers who have a 30% exchange rate to buffer what they pay for shopping there and cater to the year-round West End customers who LIVE HERE if you want to stay in business. You're like the AirBnB of Whole Food stores, i.e trying to scam tourists at the expense of residents...

I worked for Whole Foods market for 5 years, too much favoritism. Christina Minardi provides too much favors for people, and it's a hostile working environment. They fire the older people working there and they people who don't want to pay for benefits which its work.

They are made of thin cardboard and numbered, but if lost or destroyed, Whole Foods won't replace. Why bother locking somebody into a purchase at a store that is short on customer service?

I have been shopping at Whole Foods for many years now. Some of their customer service is horrible and their prices are extremely expensive. One of Whole Foods associate was extremely rude. I have a disability. I spoke to Craig in regional - he was not sincere about what happened. Craig you are very unprofessional. You should not be working for Whole Foods. You have no customer service experience. I hope Whole Foods customers see this. Be careful shopping at Whole Foods, Craig in their regional office is not nice.

All of the NYC locations have pricing issues. If something is on sale, it rings up wrong. I was charge pound price of lobster instead of potato salad. Then they're rude to you for bringing it up. I stopped going all together. Not worth the headache.

Whole Foods has the worst hot food ever! They use to be ok a while ago but they have just gotten real bad. The cookies are dry and tasteless. The hot food suffers from taste. The cold bar is even worse than the hot bar. Things look good but taste terrible. Their strawberry shortcake is pretty good but that's where it ends for me. I've stopped visiting the hot/cold bar and bakery, but I buy the chocolate chip banana muffins on occasion but even those are sometimes so sweet I have to toss them.

They can be false or cringey in their attitude. I feel averse to coming back when I have to deal with that at the checkout. Raspberries usually last one day before one sees mold. Overpriced. Overall, there are better places to find organic food. Best to invest in another business.

I live in Europe and purchase whole foods online (in the UK). Last year I bought almonds, opened the bag and put them in a well sealed tin. After a long hospital stay I opened the box and my surprise was horrible: a cloud of flies and worms creeping all over the box. I threw the box out and was told I should have shipped it to be reimbursed! It also happened with goji berries. I nevertheless ordered again, thinking I may have been at fault. I had ordered Macadamia nuts, ate half of them, left the remainder in the wrapping and placed in a tin box. Same story! Flies everywhere when I opened it!! I have consulted with two agronomists and a biological gardener and all told me that I was not at fault but that the nuts contained the eggs and that as soon as I opened the wrapping and did not eat it within a few days, that this would happen!!! Am I supposed to eat nuts with insect eggs in it??? I am really furious this time!

BLOODY CHICKEN IN HOT BAR. TWO chicken breasts plus drumstick which I did not photograph. Chicken breasts in hot case undercooked... Saw cook putting out food and spoke to one female who put out the food as she talk to me so she said it was he who cooked the food... to talk to him and I also saw MANAGER of department who was making pizza but did not bother her. Photographed food in the aisle... then left it in the container.

So I've ignored the warnings about how Whole Foods truly doesn't meet the standard of FDA requirements, and is way too expensive. In an attempt to provide my family with clean food, I've shopped Whole Foods, until today. I am finished taking back meat that smells utterly disgusting, and this happened three times this month alone!!! I get that we don't want preservatives in our food, but Whole Foods should have a responsibility to keep fresh meat and produce on hand! I'm going to Publix or Kroger from now on. They are now carrying more organics, and I'd rather try my luck with meat that hasn't spoiled with them!

These cookies are dry and powdery. Have very little chocolate taste and the actual chips are tiny and tasteless. Is that enough for you avoid them? PS: "Made in Canada".

On 6/01/2016 I purchased 365 tortilla for a family gathering the next day. When I went to use the item it was moldy and had expired May 30th, 2016. This not acceptable. I traveled far to buy this products at Whole Foods and I need to have the satisfaction to buy good products.

On more than three occasions (3 different weeks) I have attempted to purchase something at the Wayne-Berwyn PA Whole Foods prepared foods area but have walked away with NOTHING. The employees are either standing around or non-existent. The Whole Foods employees wait until a group of people are waiting then come out and just select persons to help rather than ask "Who's Next?" or have a system with numbers. The result on more than 1 occasion is the Whole Foods Employees encouraged arguments between customers over who was next. I could not buy anything on 3 trips to this store. Amazing.

If any stockholders are reading this perhaps you will understand if this type of service spreads through Whole Foods as to why the profits are down. This food is perishable and would think the Whole Foods Management would want to get this food to customers but that is not happening. I like Whole Foods but this store in Wayne-Berwyn is very poorly operated. Someone needs to re-train, redeployee or get rid of the employees in this area.

The experience was not in the Santa Fe store, but at a different store. She is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE person, with no integrity, no professionalism and lacks high standards of expectations from her employees, and at the same time, shows a DEEP DISRESPECT for the customers who are even more knowledgeable than some of the employees. Whole Foods is high priced and I believe in their concept and I have shopped in their stores since 1985. But this manager doesn't correct her employees when they are wrong. Communication is sometimes an issue. She does not support Education and Knowledge, nor does she appreciate when someone is corrected. She was assaultive towards me in another store and took a hold of me! I should have had her arrested! She is the biggest idiot and had I pursued an arrest for her manhandling me, she would have lost her job. She should not even be working for Whole Foods.

Whole Foods is abusive towards customers, overcharges them and in the end, the customer loses. They would not be in business if it were not for the customer. I have lost my respect for their stores. They closed a couple hundred across the USA, maybe they will end up losing a couple hundred more for a lack of customer respect. There have been nationwide complaints against them and there are OTHER organic and health food companies that are opening across the USA that will put them out of business. KARMA.

I am noticing a trend at Whole Foods where there are fewer and fewer organics and more conventional produce items. Also, several years back I was informed that 'Barney's Almond Butter' would not be sold at Whole Foods because of the palm oil ingredient in it. It is not sustainable and contributes to deforestation. Recently, I spotted MaraNatha 'All Natural no stir Almond Butter Crunchy' with palm oil as an ingredient on the shelves of Whole Foods. While Whole Foods tries to position itself as the go to for healthy, organic food that will have no GMOs by 2018, they have a very long way to go. My plan is to shop at Mom's Organic Market, Roots and David's, all of which are outside of my area, but organic and worth it. I am very disappointed in the direction Whole Foods is taking.

The EL (Experience Life) Health and Fitness Magazine, in a 4 month ago article, informed us about the Red onion and Pork Lard combination is helping/busting the immune system! At Whole Foods of Greenville, SC, I have purchased my second container of pork lard (Feb.'16). Customary for me to have stored in the freezer and when I have used some I noticed the rancid smell! By examining the container I have found that it has two distinctive layers of lard??? One yellowish + smelly lower layer and a smaller layer on the top of white and fresh layer!!! Tag and the date on it was for the "newly poured" fresh top layer. How that was allowed to happen??? It only by deliberate act of store employ because the label states that 'made right here', full name on label: PORK LARD U.S.A., sell by: 03/17/16... As for me trusting you, I am sorry.

On Friday evening, 4/22/16 at 8:33 p.m. I purchased seven items. When I arrived home and unpacked my grocery bag, I noticed that the 1/2 gallon of 2% milk was missing because the cashier failed to place it in my grocery bag. It was late in the evening and I did not want to go back out to the store for the inconvenience created by the cashier who bagged my grocery bag. I left it to human error and decided to return to the store the following evening, on Saturday 4/23/16 to request the return of the milk I purchased the day before. And to my surprise, I was treated as a criminal trying to steal a $1.99, 1/2 gallon of milk.

At this store the customer service desk is never available and one has to simply speak to the cashiers on the floor for refunds, exchanges, etc and the appropriate manager or supervisor either does or approves the transaction. There were only three cashiers at the store, 2 males and 1 female cashier. Although I did not write their names down, they followed what they called the standard procedure.

First, I was asked if I called it in the day before. When I said no, they all started to treat me as someone trying to steal a 1/2 gallon of milk. They looked at some log to see if any items were left behind the previous day and there was nothing on their log indicating that my missing milk was one of the items left behind. But, I was informed that the previous day, Wednesday someone forgot their milk. At this point I was still attempting to be polite, particularly to the female cashier because she was my cashier the day before on Thursday. I then told her directly, "Come on, you were my cashier, where is my milk that you failed to put in my bag." She claimed that she worked the register but that I did not leave anything behind. I guess she either put it in the grocery bags of the next shopper on the line after me, or she simply got rid of the milk and did not log it in.

I was told that because I failed to call the store the day before when it happened that I was out of luck and that there was nothing they can do for me. I find it insulting and unprofessional to accuse a regular customer and shopper at your store who returns to the store the day after a purchase was made of failing to comply with some unwritten policy when it was your cashier who made the mistake. I am not responsible to monitor your cashier. I would expect them to be trained properly. Yet, I know we all make simple human mistakes.

What is completely unacceptable business practice is to leave me hanging dry in front of other customers insinuating with body language that I have a problem. No one decided to write my name down, nor to ask me for my phone number to have a supervisor or store manager call me. I told them politely, that I was disappointed with their poor customer service and not to worry because I was going to file a complaint with Whole Foods corporate office. And I left the store with my tail between my legs, humiliated in front of other customers.

This is the 3rd time I have found bugs in the rice I bought from the bulk section at Whole Foods. Disgusting.

The last two times I bought chicken breast at Whole Foods it tasted like rubber. I know that it was cooked properly, but something was wrong with the chicken. Very disappointing, consider that is my main source of meat. Even though it's really not convenient, I think I will be buying the chicken from MOM's market from now on. Also, I have to concur with the woman from Arlington, VA (very close to us) who said that Whole Foods produce has gone downhill lately. It's sad, but true.

As an Arlington, VA resident, I generally shop at Trader Joe's, but leave my purchases of many of my fresh fruit and vegetables to Whole Foods because of their broader selection of organic products. My wife and I have noticed over the past few years that the quality of fruit that WF carries appears to have been declining, e.g., I cannot remember the last time that a melon I purchased was sweet, the oranges I purchase for fruit are often rather dry and pulpy, the grapes are generally disappointing, etc. I recognize this is just my anecdotal experience and that perhaps I am selecting poorly, but I have literally made internet searches to try to do a better job at selecting ripe fruits and it has not yielded any improvement in results. Have they changed their fruit selection standards?

Their store brand lemon cookies are disappointing. They have zero lemon flavor. They are just a nice butter cookie, but don't get them expecting any lemon flavor.

Whole Foods Company Profile