3.01/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

401 Whole Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

After enjoying the amazing pumpkin pies at my local Whole Foods for years, had the experience of tasting a rancid one this evening. The taste was off, bitter, and tangy... with a strange crumbly texture. Pumpkin pie is a custard, so it’s a very strange taste to have it separate into liquid and pieces while putting a fork into it. Contacted my local store, on Washington Street in Denver. Was put through to the bakery manager. Couldn’t make it out in his introduction, but sounded like he said his name was James. His greeting was so fast, his words sounded like one sentence of monotone sarcasm, and it was jarring to be spoken to that way. I let him know that the pumpkin pie was rancid, and he literally responded with a long silence.

Basically, he said in not so many words, that he could care less. I asked him to please go get one and inspect it, and he chortled, then said “...sorry “ma’am”. We are sold out. We don’t even make the pies.” This was said with so much hatred, and so little care, that it has actually broken my heart. This store was part of our community, and it will be a big loss. Whole Foods is unfortunately no longer going to get our business. We are actually planning on boycotting everything Amazon.

Do not support Amazon, and do not support Whole Foods. We will find another way to obtain our groceries. Whole Foods is selling tainted products with no remorse.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I bought a Beyond Meat sausage original flavor and inside one of the sausages there were pieces of rubber like plastic material blue in color. These pieces were pretty big in size and smelled just like the sausage itself. I am vegan and run a vegetarian household. My kids eat Beyond Meat product on a regular basis. I contacted Whole Foods main offices and it didn’t seem like a big deal to them. I was completely surprised. I just want to put it out there and let people know just because you’re shopping at Whole Foods doesn’t mean you're buying safe products. I am a regular shopper at Whole Foods and used to trust them with their products. Not anymore.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I like shopping at Whole Foods on University Pkwy in Sarasota, FL. It is always organized and clean. But the last two times I bought San Francisco sourdough and Rizhsky Khleb Heart bread. The sourdough bread locked inside more like a Swiss cheese, and the Russian bread was underbaked. SOMEONE is not following instructions.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This store was disgustingly filthy with very poor management. The produce section had an odor and bugs flying around. When I addressed the issue the manager was rude. I went to the one in Pompano and it was night and day, very clean with fresh produce and polite employees. Miami as well has a much better location, that is more like larger more urban retail outlets that have the appropriate management to handle a chain like this. I will never shop at this Whole Foods again until they fix the problem.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

All of the Rhode Island stores have degraded over the years. Everything from rotting old overpriced produce, disgruntled and uninformed employees, very dirty areas including bathrooms etc. Selection has withered leaving one with only Whole Foods brands in many cases. The whole experience has been like leaving children to run a business, children who have no manners, who make little eye contact, disregarding simple social grace and character. Depressing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whole Foods?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

We had to stop and get a snack while on the road. I found a Whole Foods in Concord CA. just off the 680 Freeway. I was shocked at the limited selection in the Meat, Bakery, liquor Dept compared to other Whole Foods I have been to. I don't normally shop at Whole foods, but I have been in all 3 in Sonoma Co. and this was nothing compared to them. No help in the Meat Dept. Everything vacuum packed and in plastic trays, only one selection of good bread from Semifreddi's Bakery.

My wife looked at the open ceilings and white walls and remarked it looked like Costco! When we got to the register the clerk was more interested in asking people if they were Prime members or wanted to become one. I can see the future for the stores in other locations. Mass processed meat at a central location, no more individual service from a real person and more plastic packaging! If I want to belong to a membership store with limited selection and low prices I will go join Costco. At least there are people there to help you.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Since Amazon bought Whole Foods, it's gradually being turned into just another typical grocer who could care less about what made the store popular years ago. Amazon is greedy, i. e., Jeff Bezos, so he's cutting corners wherever he can to make a buck. The coffee section is now no selection other than the usual fare at any market (smaller coffee companies can't afford to sell their coffee cheap enough for Mr. Bezos). The variety of breads, once plentiful, are now whatever Mr. Bezos can get for cheap to sell (which obviously leaves out the smaller specialty bakeries), The produce has been cut back. Example, the bulk greens that used to be available are no longer (don't we want to provide ways to cut back on all the big plastic containers? Isn't that what Whole Foods was about? But, of course, it's too expensive for this billionaire to give a crap). The list goes on and on. I will no longer shop there. I may as well go to any market.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Today, I experienced absolutely reprehensible customer service from the Ann Arbor Whole Foods Store (Washtenaw Avenue). While interacting with an associate in the meat department to purchase some steaks, another associate grabbed the items from the first associate's hands, before she could hand them to me, with him instead handing them to another individual, who was actually behind me in line. The first sales associate with whom I was interacting was just as astounded as was I about this horrid behavior. I later shared this incident with the store manager who was on duty at that time, Anissa, but she was unable to provide any immediate resolution to this matter. I will not be shopping here again.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

One of the best Whole Foods stores by far. Pizzeria, bar. It’s very overwhelming they got anything you need for cooking at home. Good job. Facility is very clean and nice, although parking can be very busy. Couple spots for electric cars charge.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

We've shopped at Whole Foods since it opened in our area over 20 years ago, always trusting its quality and mission. It's now competing with low-end grocery stores; peons who care about quality need to shop elsewhere. 365 organic peanut butter: it's now a spread with dry roasted organic peanuts, organic expeller pressed palm oil (read about it), organic cane sugar, sea salt. The old peanut butter had dry roasted organic peanuts, salt. 365's corn chips taste different - we don't have old packages to compare ingredients for them or our usual 365 frozen pizza, which we tried this week, it was so salty we couldn't eat it. Their breakfast sausage was wonderful, now there's gristle in every bite. Wonder why Jeff Bezos thought customers of Whole Foods would remain and why he didn't save time and buy a store already meeting his standards.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

From Aug 4th the day I had tasted the moldy cherries purchased from WF (North Vancouver BC) until now I am not feeling well... the whole thing was such a horrible experience. The next day I returned it to the store. The manager acknowledged & confirmed the mold. Never heard of her nor company after that, which is really bothering me so much. I am not able to get it out of mind... whatever I am eating seems & tastes molded. I waited 2 weeks and finally decided to make it public. In other hand I feel quite humiliated by ignorance act of the manager & the company. I am pretty sure, I will never have cherries or maybe any kinds of berries for the rest of my life, if I ever survive of this terrible feeling which is with me in the last 2 weeks.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

When asked shoppers say that they believe WF products are 80-100% organic but in fact WF products today, even in the produce section, are less than 50% organic. If AMAZON gets its way, WF will soon carry COKE and DORITOS along with many other non-organic mainstream brands. The WF brand was first popularized and founded on the "fringe" interest in organic foods. That fringe interest grew at an annual rate of 200%. When AMAZON purchased WF for 13.7B they were purchasing a brand and apparently one they did not care to understand. AMAZON looks at the world as distribution channels. Although I'm sure they recognized the value of the WF brand, at the end of the day, their answer to lagging sales is to turn WF into a Costco.

WF customers are already disenchanted with WF. Today if you walk through the prepared foods aisle (the healthy buffet) you will not find one menu item that is 100% organic. Mostly you'll find chicken dishes with 30 ingredients (we need to realize that the number of ingredients in healthy organic foods are 1-2, 3 at most) including soy, canola oil, GMO wheat, and many other externally-sourced packaged and processed preparations.

As we learn the role of GMOs and their "gene-modifying" properties, we realize that WF nutritionists' ignorance of the science is not only damaging to WF but potentially criminal is its use of the WF brand to portray that WF is contributing to our health. Most of the packaged products at WF contain Glyphosate and promote an unhealthy gut response that include neurological disorders, obesity, diabetes, auto-immune, and more. This is no longer conjecture - it is supported by scientific studies and by the growing body of legal precedence staring in 2017 when Monsanto was pronounced as an international criminal guilty of crimes against humanity by the Hague International Court and now followed by cases in California and more.

The only way to preserve the WF brand would be to re-interpret the reason why customers are leaving WF. AMAZON has it wrong. The larger number of purchasers want organic and WF isn't giving it to them. Meanwhile AMAZON thinks it needs to appeal to a broader range of customers by giving them COKE and DORITOS... turning WF into another supermarket will certain take 50% of that 13.7B and turn it into mush. What's the alternative when an entity like WF can't find their way to the changing market place? What if they can't figure out the psychology of the millennials they serve?

I can purchase 100% humane grass-fed beef direct from the ranch. I can purchase organically-grown produce at the farmers market or direct from the farm itself. The decline of WF and other such markets who doesn't understand this new organic marketplace will force consumers to join cooperatives and go direct to farmers and ranchers. The only way that WF can survive is by making it easy and economical to purchase everything organic in one place at reasonable prices. Can they do that? Will AMAZON let them?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Whole Foods has turned into a third-rate grocery store. Examples being, shelved are never stocked, prices for prepared foods such as pizza change depending on who you speak with, blame is always on the vendor, department responsibility has changed, thus questions cannot be answered. And finally, products with expired dates are still on the shelf as far back as July. Since Amazon has taken over, the store has gone downhill. This is a complete turnaround from the prior Amazon involvement. Looking at other stores that can provide better service and better products.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I used to shop at this Whole Foods (Gilman in Berkeley and 2 others in my neighborhood) on an almost daily basis (because it is located directly across the street from my work office). Before Amazon bought Whole Foods, this location had a GREAT salad bar that I would regularly spend $8-10 for a personalized salad. But since Amazon took over, the ingredients and dressings are terrible! And since I don't buy my lunch salad there any longer, I no longer shop at that location either. It's changed everything for me shopping-wise because now I stop at Berkeley Bowl on my way home instead. Sorry, Amazon!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I visited the Whole Foods at 10th & South Streets, Philadelphia for the first time in a year and how dissapointing an experience. The bakery section had empty shelves and their special cookie section had stale cookies and not the excellent quality you expect of Whole Foods. The produce was a mixed bag with many vegetables on the verge of going bad. I purchased the Jumbo Crab Cakes Whole Food was known for and will never buy them again. Filled with shells and the seasoning was completely off. Prices were ridiculous. For organic applesauce that I buy at Mom's organic market, price is $2.99. Whole foods was selling the same brand for $3.99 and their Amy's frozen dinners were a third higher than ACME and Mom's. Will never go back. Coporate is just trying to cut corners and increase profilt.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Relatively recently we noticed that the "green" "guilt free" paper bags Whole Foods started using, and is so proud of, smell awful (like garbage or vomit, I am sorry to say). Not at all what one would want their food carried in, let alone keep in their kitchen for future use. If you put your nose next to any one of them, you will see exactly what I mean. And it is not an isolated thing. They all smell like that all the time, nor does the smell go away. I have written to the corporate office, since it is obviously a corporate issue, but they just shunted me off to the local store.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Go to Whole Foods and ask a question and you'll get arrested. So go to Fresh Thyme or Trader Joe's. You can ask them questions they won't arrest you. I used to love Whole Foods. I'm never EVER going there again, it is not safe.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Since Amazon has taken over the Whole Foods, I have seen a lot of changes that make me think this corporation does not care about the customers. It has turned to a coupon store. They highly encourage you to buy their highly-priced membership to get more discount on items. Either have Amazon prime membership or shop elsewhere (the price for yellow peaches is 1.99 for prime members whereas it's $3.99 for non members.) FYI, the regular price for yellow peaches at QFC and Fred Meyers is $1.99 per pound. What if some people don't want to download the Whole Foods app or use coupons. Why can't they just have a price for everyone? What's wrong with everyone paying the same price? SIGH.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Whole Foods, Glendale, Ca. SENIORS check your receipt before leaving the register and the store. Charged twice for one box of WF saltines. On returning to the store, one of the male clerks said "oh but sometimes..." How often is "sometimes" when some people do not want a receipt or others do not check the items? So blase when the money does not come out of their paycheck/pocket!

Original review: June 15, 2018

Whole Foods is one of my two go-to stores 1-3 times every week. The food quality, grocery sales, cleanliness, location, return policy and customer service from every employee has been impeccable for my 8 years.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Today, the cashier attempted to forgo handing me the $5.00 change I was entitled to. She closed the register drawer and handed the receipt to me. After telling her I needed my $5.00 change and without question or hesitation, she opened the register and handed over the money, no apology, nothing. Obviously, this wasn't an "error". But in fairness to Whole Foods, cashiers at Walgreens, Dollar Tree, Jewel-Osco and Aldi attempted the same thing, opening their register drawers without question, after telling them I was owed change. A "sign of the times"?...so sad. I have discovered that Trader Joe's and Costco cashiers are the only ones not attempting to "shortchange" me (an alert senior consumer).

Original review: April 30, 2018

Requested Senior Discount. Emailed Jeff Bezos and got a cold reply saying they don't offer discounts to any group but that I can download coupons on a smartphone. Don't have a smartphone and most of the coupons are not for the basics. This company doesn't care one bit about its customers.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I tend to believe that the products at WF are of high quality, and generally healthy. I don't have the wealth to buy only organic foods, but I tend to believe that the "conventional" offerings are likely to be less chemically treated, especially since the produce is usually washed and fresh looking, than at the more traditional grocery.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Whole Foods is a fantastic store. Selection is great. Prices on some items can be high especially on produce and the food court. Overall a great store especially if you love organic and natural products.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I am very picky, and this is where I buy the majority of what I eat. I don't mind spending extra on better quality, but I mind if it is the same that I can buy at another grocery store. However I cannot find everything that I want at AD.

Original review: April 22, 2018

The salad bar is my primary reason for using Whole Foods. I'm a vegetarian, & its salad bar's choices & quality make shopping there worthwhile - romaine lettuce, corn kernels, purple cabbage shreds, grated parmesan, blue cheese crumbles, braised tofu, carrot shreds.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I shop in Baton Rouge Whole Foods quite often. I usually find what I want and if I can't I pick something similar. The customer service is always top notch. My issues usually come in the prepared items, hot food bar and prices of certain items. Just wish the prices would drop and would be my new fave store. I still shop in there for the people, as they are happy, happy people.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Whole Foods has a nice variety of foods. I especially like their meat & seafood selections. Prepared food variety is nice as well depending on the store (some have a better selection than others). But while quality is good, prices are quite high which prevents me from shopping there more frequently.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Fresh meats, good selections. All the foods I need out here. Very close to home because I have a hard time walking, good handicap parking for us disabled people, friendly wonderful people, very helpful with groceries.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My experience with Whole Foods is a joy, great people, surrounding and lots of healthy foods to choose from. The meat department is great. I love it.

Whole Foods Company Information