3.94/5
  • 1 star
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 9, 2017

106 Wegmans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Wegmans is one of the best supermarkets ever! Clean store and restrooms! Fresh produce and uplifting atmosphere. Friendly staff... Very helpful and accommodating. Good prices if you are in the middle to upper middle-class. I'd love to work in the cheese dept. or bread dept. Excellent bakery!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Wegmans is the best supermarket around. If you can't find it at Wegmans it cannot be found. Their customer service is second to none!!! The store is laid out like no other. They always have like items with like items. Words can't describe how great they are. You have see the store to believe it for yourself!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Fresh, variety, convenience, and friendly! I have traveled all over the US and Canada, there is no comparison. This is hands down the best supermarket I have ever had the pleasure to shop at. Well worth it.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Wegmans is the best large grocery store ever. It has a nice environment, offers superior and varied products including local produce and a large amount of international foods. Many areas such as their bakery, cheese, meat and prepared food section have the ambiance and service of an older Era market. Service is excellent everywhere. There are some nice small courtesies such as close parking for moms, motorized carts for those who can't walk and many other services within the store. No other grocery chain I have been in offers such a comprehensive and consistent product line and service.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Wegmans offers the largest array of food items I have seen in one store. It includes exotic, diet specific, and basic need foods. Their basic food prices - milk, eggs, meats - are less expensive than most stores and they also have a vast variety of specialty meats and fish and items I have no idea what I would do with. They also have take-out foods, nutrition booklets, coupons, special programs and the store is clean and well stocked.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wegmans?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

A vast array of food, hot and cold, Indian and Chinese food buffets, and so much more. Fresh produce. A coffee bar too. Full meals prepared upon request and a cafe upstairs.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Wegmans offers a large variety of great quality foods -- fresh fruits and veggies, dairy, specialty items and seafood. Their customer service is always friendly and professional, and prices reasonable.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Great, clean grocery store with lots of choices. Bakery, buffet, pizza, small sit in restaurant inside, good fish, meats, deli, good selections of carefully picked fruits and vegetables. Great wine and beer section, friendly and clean employee with no visible tattoo (that's refreshing...). Maybe more expensive than other grocery stores but, then again... you get what you pay for.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

After buying these cakes for many years for my son's birthday, I was not happy this year to find out that they no longer do "free hand decorating". I had wanted a Halloween themed birthday cake which was a tradition... Previously we had been very happy with the finished product. Imagine my surprise to find a simple white sheet cake that said Happy Birthday ** with plastic pumpkin and ghost rings placed around the border - are you serious?! For $39 dollars that was the best you could do? To be fair it was moist and tasty, but I will never buy another cake from Wegmans. They are ridiculously overpriced now.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Wegmans’ overall quality and customer service is excellent. For example, in the cheese department if you would like to try a cheese they will open a cheese that is on display and give you a sample. They will do the same thing in the cold cut department.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Wegmans is somewhat like a Whole Foods, which we do not have in our market area. They provide items that are not found in many other stores, although the pricing is somewhat less than stellar. Their food stations for pick-up and take-out are marvelous. Bountiful fruits and vegetables.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Wegmans is a well kept clean store. It keeps the shelves stocked. Their produce is excellent. They have excellent employees and they seldom have lines at the checkout because they have enough employees to keep them open as needed.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Wegmans exemplifies customer service and quality. They are constantly improving service to their customers. The atmosphere is pleasant. They listen to their customers.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Beautiful day in So Williamsport. Just am finishing baking a Wegmans (grocery store) EZ meal. Beef Stew with gravy & vegetables. Got it on sale 1/2 price: a pan with ingredients & spicing etc already mixed in an oven bag. 2 1/2 hr bake & it is wonderful (plus mostly beef!). Weight pkg 3 1/2 lb. Excellent!!! This is the nicest run store with excellent employees. Clean, respectful, even humorous sometimes.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

This is a review of the Pharmacy inside the Wegmans in Dewitt, NY. The initial incident occurred on May 8th of 2015. This started simply enough: I dropped off a prescription and was told by the clerk that it would take 10 minutes. I returned after about 20 minutes and found out that there was a problem with how they "put in" my insurance number in, so it was not filled. This was fixed almost immediately, and the people that served me (at that time) were just fine, actually nothing less than fully professional (for example, apologizing for the wait). One of the folks helping me at the time told me I could wait in the waiting area and that I could come back to the counter, instead of having to go back in line. I was told the wait would be "minutes."

So, I then sat in the waiting area for about fifteen minutes. So after waiting that long, at that point I was not sure if they were going to call me to the counter or if I was supposed to check back in, with them. And, at that time there was no one in line, and so I walked up to the counter next to where a woman named Chris was working. Yet, for some reason she ignored me completely. Then, after someone entered the line, she called that person over and attended to him, right away. I actually stood in amazement as she did this again for another two other customers who arrived, for a total of at least 5 minutes. I finally said something to her pointing out that I had been waiting there for 5 minutes (even though she clearly knew this). Her response? "Oh, I was waiting on them followed by her" waving her hand towards the line, adding "The line forms there."

I calmly pointed out that I was told that I did not have to wait in line again (even though there was no one in line when she initially ignored me). ONLY THEN did she stop wasting time and actually ask me for my information regarding the script. She then looked it up and said it’s not ready yet. At no point did she apologize for the waiting time, or the blatant rudeness of her deciding to ignore me.

I then sat down again and waited a few more minutes before she called my name. When she was giving me my prescription she said I really don't appreciate that language. I do not know what she was referring to, as I did not even say anything to her at that point (and I am almost certain I did not use bad language, earlier, but may have said something in frustration after she ignored me for so long). Either way, she said nothing to me at that time and if I had even said anything it was only after she decided to go out of her way to be rude to me -- therefore it was nothing at all compared to her attitude which was disgusting and uncalled for. However - IF I DID say something prior AND she was so offended at whatever I had said, for some reason she SAID NOTHING to me, then.

In either instance I was nothing but completely cordial once she called me up, yet she brought up the fabricated language issue with me out of the blue. I responded calmly that she should concentrate on treating customers with respect, such as not ignoring people- and that should be a priority over perceptions of a customer's language. However as I was saying this calmly, she interrupted me, saying Excuse me!!! over and over again. She then- without any cause to do so (which I should not have been surprised by), decided to insult my mother... Yes, seriously!!!

I told her she needed to learn manners and warned her to never my mother again. I then turned back and asked her name and she smiled (so sick) and said Chris, but would not give me her last name. I've never been harassed like this ever before. I was not sure if she was impaired mentally or not, but I could not let it go without sending a letter to the manager of the Pharmacy. So, I sent a letter to the manager regarding the incident... And it was COMPLETELY IGNORED.

As I am sure one can understand, I was quite shocked at this person's behavior (Chris), so I wrote a letter bringing this to the attention of (name redacted), the manager, who had ignored the letter. So on July 3, 2015 (after almost 2 months and there being almost zero likelihood that they would ever respond), I sent a letter to Danny ** the Chairman of the company. It was not until soon after, when his office directed the Pharmacy to actually respond, that they did so- claiming that I had told them I did not wanted to be contacted in my first letter to them (which was an absolute lie)! The letter itself was done, basically no less than a form letter which had no substance in it, whatsoever. It was hastily and poorly written. In it, she stated something to the effect of I will make efforts to ensure that my employees treat everyone well. Yet there was nothing regarding talking to the specific person I was referring to.

I think that it is important to note that I did not complain about anyone else at the pharmacy!! So I think it is reasonable for me to ask why she thought I would care if she lectured the whole lot of her employees about generalities? And, also, I had no intention to subject the remaining good employees at that location to some lecture that they did not need to be told about!!! I even had a patient around 2 weeks prior to receiving that letter who had me fill a script for her, there, and mentioned to me how nice people are at that pharmacy. Obviously the person who I wrote the letter about was an outlier among the staff, yet Ms. (redacted) did not seem to care.

I then responded again directly to Ms. (redacted) in writing, noting that she appeared to completely ignore each and every concern I had brought up. This was then followed by a cell phone message I received from a Mr. (name redacted), the Pharmacy Operations Manager at the DeWitt Wegmans. In the message he asked me to call him to discuss the matter.

I was not able to call him back immediately, and a few days later, Mr. Operations Manager sent me a letter (which was obviously sent prior to the phone call he made). In this new letter he was quite defensive about the first crap letter that Ms. ** had sent, noting that he drafted the letter FOR her (which started to make sense, as you will soon see). In the letter that Mr Operations Manager also said that they had all followed up with the employee in question about what had occurred and all had agreed your situation could have been handled better!!!

That line stuck in my head: could have been handled better. WOW. Seriously??? The employee I had originally written about had blatantly gone out of her way to shout at me, and personally insult my mother (whom of course she has never met). And all that the inept Mr. Operations Manager could come up with to say about it was that it could have been handled better???

This was quite insulting to me (and it seemed to be written as to be DELIBERATELY insulting). I had literally considered filing a criminal complaint with the person who harassed me initially- on the spot, but thought better of it when I realized that she was likely mentally unstable. However, I truthfully NEVER DREAMED that the management at that pharmacy would go out of their way to make matters EVEN WORSE when I brought it to their attention.

When I was able to call Mr. Operations Manager the call went to his voicemail, so left a message with my name and number. Again, I was not able to pick up when he eventually called back. However, he decided to leave an extremely dismissive and rude message deciding to conclude that this matter is now closed, with a tone that clearly conveyed the following why are you bothering me about this? At this point I would like to remind the few of you who have been kind enough to read this far, that HE had asked ME to call HIM, in the first place!!!

In conclusion (yes, you're welcome:P), I sent a follow-up letter to Chairman ** with my overall impressions of the gross ineptitude, incompetence and extremely dismissive attitude of the management of the Pharmacy at the DeWitt Wegmans, however it appears that he has no interest in knowing how incompetent his managers are, and has clearly ignored it (update: in case you are wondering it has been over 1 year and a half since I wrote him the final letter. I'm PRETTY SURE his office doesn't care, lol).

Without question, the overall management is extremely unprofessional and rude at every level at the Pharmacy at the DeWitt Wegmans. Clearly this is not just an issue with one bad apple, but a systemic problem in the company. FYI, while I will never go to another Wegmans Pharmacy again in my life, I still occasionally stop at the grocery - although with Trader Joe's being in town I- thankfully- can do this a lot less than I used to!!! :)

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Wegmans is like two grocery stores in one. One side of the store has all your typical products... paper towels, peanut butter, pet food, etc. The other side is composed of kiosks with specialty items! It's really the best of both worlds.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Wegmans is very fair and is a great store with great prices. It has everything I need. Customer service is great too as is their pharmacy. Great place to work too. I work there many years ago part-time when my kids were younger. Wegmans has good people to work for.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Every community should have a Wegmans!!! Their customer service, selection is the tops. I had asked them to save the Sunday paper, and without hesitation, it's done.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

First and foremost, I cook everything I eat. I take pride in myself in buying top products. I spend at least 1/3 of food budget on produce. Formerly, you could count on Wegmans and find value. No more, the produce value has a decreased; its selection and value of the produce had diminished. Additionally as you go through the store the selection of products has decreased immensely! I contacted the store management and they seemed disinterested. No problem, I found a new grocery store, with superior produce and a wide selection of products! Their meat selection is superior and finally the staff is welcoming friendly and helpful! Hurray! So what, I drive a mile more! It is so worth it!

Original review: May 23, 2017

After receiving and downloading digital coupons from Wegmans a few days ago, I decided to use the downloaded coupon today. The employee told me that I had no downloaded coupons and that I owed the total amount of my purchase, when I protested I was told to pay the balance or not but that there was nothing that could be done to help me. Reluctantly I paid for the purchase, vowing to myself to never download any digital coupons from Wegmans. I had even received a verification that the download was successful.

Onward to eat my lunch with grandchildren in children's space. It was not very clean and unfortunately my grandchild added to the mess by spilling a liquid. My daughter and I cleaned up the spill as well as we could but not one employee approached us to help or to ask for someone to clean. We did finish lunch and no one ever appeared to clean.

We got into the car and as I was annoyed my daughter checked her slip for her purchases only to find she had been double charged for one item. She went back in and they did refund the amount and said, "Sorry." Needless to say I don't understand how or why they get such high ratings in reviews. This store is ok but never have seen it sparkling clean, the employees always seem upset or angry and this is not welcoming atmosphere. I only visit every 4 to 8 weeks.

Original review: May 7, 2017

I grew up with Wegmans in my area when I lived in NYS and they used to be my grocery store of choice! Let's now move to years later and I now live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I have never been so dissatisfied as I am with their constant change of products, without a thought to help their customers. Over the past year and a half this has been going on, at least at our local store, and the frustration is now at my limit. My feelings are also shared with my friends and family who also shop there, as well as grumbling of other customers in the aisles while I was shopping there. I get the entire grocery placement, etc. but this has gone beyond common sense. I have actually stopped buying some products because I thought they were discontinued, only to stumble upon them months later in a different spot in the store. The producers of products should also be upset, as their sales could be on the decline if you cannot find it in the store.

Explain to me why you have a "Nature's Section" in your store if you are going to dismantle it piece by piece with no sense of direction. Additionally, I should not have to find an associate to do my grocery shopping. I don't want the crap food so no matter how much you try I will never buy from the companies that put tons of chemicals, preservatives in their foods. On another note, why do you feel the need to have a Wegmans' brand of everything - some things are good but others not so much. My complaint with this is that you then remove the brand that I love so much and just expect me to like and buy the Wegmans' brand. With all of this said, I wish you well and hope you take a note from my message, as it is not just one person feeling this way. In the meantime, I will be shopping at my local health food store that is also now opening a larger store down the street from you.

Original review: April 2, 2017

We bought this loaf of bread the other day at Penfield Wegmans. Unfortunately we're forced to buy Wegmans brand as there are very few other options. Pictures are attached. Something ELSE was included in the dough. Either old dough from yesterday's batch that wasn't cleaned out or something else entirely. Disgusting Wegmans bread! I will be complaining to the store manager later today when I return this abomination of a product.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I really love Wegmans for the huge variety of products but also for their pharmacy staff who goes way and beyond to make sure their customer are safe. The pharmacist picked up a dangerous side effect between 2 medications prescribed. I want to keep the same generic manufacturer and they always accommodate my custom orders. The staff is also so nice with people although they are always very busy. The interaction feels very personal and they provide a level of care which exceeds expectations.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I am an event planner and need to order food from the Nazareth Wegmans at least three times per week. I am NEVER disappointed in their food quality. More importantly, their service is impeccable. Tom, Gage, and the rest of the team there have never missed anything with my orders. Having a fantastic partnership like this keeps MY customers coming back - I couldn't do what I do this well without them!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Humiliated and truamatized. After a 15 hour workday I stopped at Wegmans in Woodbridge, VA to pick up some special frozen yogurt they were holding for my handicapped husband. Before going to customer service to make my pick up I did a little shopping. Had a very difficult time finding a few items that were my husband's favorites. Could not find anyone to help me so I walked back and forth in the bakery area for about 5 minutes. Once actually visiting the food bar where I noticed they had pupusas. Wow... My 15 year old granddaughter loves these and they are very hard to find in Culpeper. Started to get some when I realized they were very overcooked. Finally got about one half of one into my little black box and then went back to the bakery still trying to find the babka and rugulach. Again no one to help me.

Bought 1 pound of monk fish and finally found my other 2 items. Continued to the frozen food section looking for a new low carb ice cream. At that time I opened the little black container and noticed how black and nasty it looked... decided not to buy it and put it on shelf. Reached in my purse and pulled out a cheese stick as I was feeling very dizzy from a blood sugar problem. Headed now to customer service to pick up the 3 containers of Edy's frozen yogurt only to find that they only had one. Then went to check out. Did so spending 91.00 and looked at my slip. Was overcharged for an item. Went back to customer service to have it fixed at which time she asked to se my bag to be sure I was correct. Showed her bag and got the 3.79 refund. Used restroom and headed to my car and load my bags and start my ride home when I was confronted by 2 security guards who told me to come with them or I would be arrested. I was in shock.

I am a 66 year old woman who has never even had a speeding ticket in my life. I own a catering business as well as 2 restaurants. Have never experienced anything like this. You see they were going to arrest me for putting the little black container on the shelf saying I had eaten the food in it... Seriously??? I was shaking so bad I thought I was going to pass out. Went with them. They made a copy of my driver's license asking if I was legal and then told me I had to pay for 1 pound of food or I would be arrested. I did it and ran out of the store... NEVER TO RETURN TO A WEGMANS AGAIN! It is one week later and I continue to wake up 5-6 times every night shaking from this experience. ALL I CAN SAY IS THIS WAS A DISGUSTING AND HORRIFYING AS WELL AS TRAUMATIC ENCOUNTER THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

This is my first time ordering catering service from Wegmans for my place of employment and I must say that the food was tasty! That being said I must write that this experience was not pleasant at ALL. First there was not direct parking for catering pickup, for an order over $400; it seems that there would have been adequate parking for this service, but (NO)! As I retrieved the food items from the various departments the customer service support/help was (NOT there). No one gave me a helping hand! As I proceeded to gather the hot food items from that department the service was even worst (VERY POOR)! Another thing with a purchase order of 100 wings I received (10) packs of dipping sauce! I asked for more and was told it would be .50 cent for each additional one. That was the last draw!!! No More/Not Ever Again, there are other places that provide the same type of food with a touch of CLASS!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

Recently spent nearly an hour looking for frozen okra at Wegmans in Canandaigua. Maybe it was just an off Monday evening but it didn't appear to me anyone responsible was in the store. Frozen department looked as if we were ten hours into a Black Friday sale. I spent several minutes going around frozen cases opening doors turning Birdseye boxes around so could read front of label. Bagged veggies were disheveled and falling out of rack. I searched canned and fresh vegetables as well finally giving up. Went through check out and in a separate issue entirely cashier tried to slip me change for a ten and a twenty when I gave him two twenties. Maybe an honest mistake. Went to customer service after check out to inquire about frozen okra. Was told "we have it" Goya brand. Was sent back to frozen case with young man who told me as we were walking he had never seen Goya brand frozen okra. Needless to say we didn't find it.

Went back to customer service. This time was told "Wegmans brand" we sold 19 units this past month. This time she went, so I waited. Another ten minutes she came back empty handed. My point is not only should this simple item have been there and it could have been. But if this department had not been in such disarray I might have found it. Not to mention no one responsible enough to locate said item. The topping on the cake was the cashier who apparently doesn't know the difference between a ten or a twenty dollar bill. Drove the half mile up road to Walmart. Found frozen okra, in and out of store in under five. Would have never thought Wegmans would be outperformed by Walmart.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Wegmans' alcohol sales policy -- With my spouse at Wegmans in Westwood, MA. We have a bottle of wine in the cart. My spouse cheerfully offers his driver's license, but the checker demands to see my ID as well. Baffled, I refused. The checker and the store manager said it was store policy to card everyone in a party where alcohol is being purchased. When I told him the mother in front of us with 2 toddlers and a bottle of wine did not have to produce her toddlers' IDs, he looked at me with a blank stare. When I asked him if the store would refuse service to a father buying beer who happened to have one of his kids along for the ride, same blank stare. Stupid policy.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I was presently surprised when I was trying a sample in prepared foods at Wegmans in Geneseo and I turned to see a man with a chef hat. He began to describe each sample and what exactly was in it. Great job Geneseo Wegmans!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

I prefer Wegmans over the other two grocery stores near me. The customer service is very good and they have a great selection of products. The store layout is great and the store is always clean. There is a hot and cold food bar that has something for everyone and my kids love it. There's just no comparison. Wegmans is far better than Acme or Giant.

Wegmans Company Information