1.49/5

123 Vons Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 13, 2019

I was shopping at Vons in La Mesa in the morning in between 9am and 10am. I was in the bakery aisle in Vons with a disabled cart. An employee followed me around the store and approached me and stated the carts were only for old people and I need to get off of them. When I explained to her I had an injury she dismissed it and demanded to see my injury. After explaining it's an old injury with persisting problems she then proceeded to argue and tried to follow me. After the interaction of this employee I was left feeling harassed, in which I mentioned to the employee.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I purchased flowers today for Mother's day, the day before, yet no prices on the flowers. I asked a worker and they stated 7.99. At the register they came up much higher. So I provided my Vons loyalty card number. The price came down to only 12.99. I was informed I had to join another Vons program and log on once every week to get the 7.99 price. So to show Vons my loyalty I have to 1) enter my card number, 2) log-in once a week to the Vons website to get other discounts, 3) still bring in Vons newspaper coupons to get further discounts. What price loyalty?

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I am a Hispanic woman who has been at Vons at Bristol and MacArthur in Santa Ana, CA. (border with Costa Mesa), a couple of times. Every time I go to this store it feels like someone is following me. More than once, I have heard the operator on the speaker announcing a "code number" and suddenly someone (an employee) appears next to me.

About 2 weeks ago, I was looking at the liquor section, specifically a Grand Marnier bottle, a person that looked like a supervisor suddenly came next to me, and asked me, "How are you doing?", he stayed there for less than a minute and then he left. Today I just came back from Vons feeling very frustrated, as it happened again. I was buying just a couple of items, as honestly to me this store is just like a convenience store when I forget to buy something at Sprouts or Trader Joe's. The operator said a code again, and I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt, but an employee came next to me again, then I realized that I wasn't using a basket, instead I was putting the items on a Trader Joe's bag that I brought with me, same bag that I gave to the clerk when I PAID the items.

I don't know if this looks suspicious, but I have seen other people doing the same thing (using their own bags while purchasing). I seriously believe that this situation is happening to me because they are profiling their customers BIG TIME. If this happens again, I will ask for the manager for clarification, and at the end stop going to this chain of stores. When I am with my husband who is a ** man, nobody ever bothers to come and say, "How are you doing"? Overall, people at the store need more training, especially whoever is behind cameras profiling customers. No wonder online shopping has been very successful, and many stores are closing.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Need to download app and scan products to get Club savings? Seriously? Can't buy my Coke Zero without giving up my privacy? I hope you go back to the prior policy ASAP. This is ridiculous. Not shopping there anymore. Really disappointing. I think you'll be getting this reaction a lot.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Paid for Coca Cola products, did not receive promotional offer with my club card, overpaid, returned for price adjustment. Manager tried to diminish the problem instead of fixing it. Suggested I call 1800 number, told me to log into my account and download app. He made me extremely angry by insinuating that I’m already saving and should not be complaining. After all that then he offered to refund the difference. By this time I was done being insulted and returned the items I purchased. Vons you have unprofessional personnel running your stores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vons?

Resolution response: Oct. 23, 2018

The in-house store manager, Chris, after 6 days dealing with me attempting to reach someone who could help me resolve this issue, had instructed 3 times that IT services from Vons.com call me. After the third failure to comply, this Manager went all out with his supervisor to call Vons.com himself and research the problem. It was discovered I made an in-house purchase the same day in their store that I had ordered online groceries. I had completely forgotten about it. What I believed and reported on this site as a wrongful second online charge was erroneous. Due to poor customer service support through Vons.com in not answering the phone or returning an email response I was refunded my bill for my groceries. They felt it was the least they could do with having experienced such poor customer service and not settling this issue in a timely manner. I'm grateful that it was not an online issue as I previously believed. Due to extended aggravation and stress I received a refund of my grocery bill.

I was wrong in my assumptions and retract my harsh recommendation not to use this app. I was assured that customer services would be improved as a result of my experience. Thanks to a concerned Manager I was finally taken care of.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I purchased groceries online from a Vons app on my phone on 10-16-18 for pickup at Vons in Bakersfield, CA at their Ming Ave location on 10-17-18. My initial bill including a small charge came to $75 which showed up on my Visa account in Pending. When I arrived the personal shopper came out to load my car with a receipt showing 2 items were not in stock and my bill reduced to $52.78. Clerk advised a credit would be applied immediately. To my dismay another full charge of $52.78 was applied to my Visa Acct, not a credit as I was instructed.

I tried the online customer service number with no response. I wrote an email with my problem recorded in the subject line, I got an automated response and waited a couple of days without a word. By this time both charges were paid out to Vons. I go to the store and speak to their manager Chris who tells me the that the online services is separate from Vons. I would have to deal with them. I was shocked. If I had known that info before I would never have downloaded this app. He went all out to contact customer service for me and had the clerk notify me later what to expect.

Clerk calls and tells me IT personnel will be calling me to talk to me about it. I wait several hours, call back the store who transfers me to .com personnel responsible and he tells me someone will be contacting me. He has my email but seems confused. I re-explain everything, yet he thinks refunding me the lesser amount is what needs to be done and keep the $75 for a full order I didn't receive. I monitored my account all day, no action at all was done to rectify this problem.

I'll be making another trip to Vons Monday. Now I consider this to be borderline criminal. Fraudulent charges being made on my acct must have a remedy. Many elderly handicapped people use such services. I believe this is very wrong and can lead many customers to suffer needless financial losses and additional fees by banks when they find themselves overdrawn. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF FROM FINANCIAL STRESS, DON'T DOWNLOAD OR USE VONS APP.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We have been Vons customers for years, Today, September 24, 2018, we were shopping in the Vons store in Imperial Beach. I am in my mid 70's and needed to go to the bathroom. Having shopped there many times I knew that I needed a code to access the facility. A very helpful clerk gave us the code but it did not work. I again ask her about it and she said she would talk to the management. Upon her return she indicated that management had decided to close both restrooms because they had had vandalism in the past. She seemed embarrassed to tell us this. We had to leave immediately to find another bathroom. As having been a manager in a complex organization in the past, I am clearly aware that when you have a problem then a solution must be found. Management chose the easiest yet wrong solution.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

On 09/16/18 I go to Vons in Victorville to shop, pick up on some rewards & try to save a few bucks. I already registered my app & had been receiving emails for savings. I finally get there excited. I spend $50 & wasn't able to use rewards. I was told I had to wait a few minutes before they would show. So I go take my food to the car, grab a watermelon and get back in line to use my rewards. Now I see the rewards on my receipt but not the app. I try to use the rewards & the cashier tells me I can't use the rewards because it's not showing on the app. Now I'm angry. I am standing there with a receipt from the same store, points show on the receipt, the receipt is not even 30 minutes old & the guy doesn't honor the rewards. He tells me I have to call the 800 number to get help. In-store customer service can't help me. I get customer service on the phone, she verified my rewards, my purchase and spoke with customer service at the store.

She couldn't understand why he didn't honor the rewards as well. It amazes me how these so-called upper end stores have cashiers that NEVER know anything about promotions, they're rude, & only seem to know the regular customers. I am a Food 4 Less shopper & one thing's for certain, those cashiers are on point with codes, digital apps & savings. They trust their customers, they're patient & will always make right WITHOUT waiting a manager or holding up the line. It's ALWAYS about the customer. Seems like they are trained to make calls that are best for the customer.

This was my first visit to Vons using this app and I have to say it SUCKED! I had a very bad experience and don't see myself returning to the store. I would not recommend the store to anyone. I like to spend my money where it's appreciated along with myself. I feel like times are hard so when people take out the extra time to try to get those savings HONOR THEM. You never know the reason behind it.

Original review: July 10, 2018

THIS STORE SHOULD BE CLOSED!!! We have generally avoided shopping at THIS VONS (8540 W Desert Inn @ Durango, Las Vegas) because it is such a hassle 'trying' to shop here - especially in the morning! It gets HOT in Las Vegas quickly so any sane person will try and get errands, including grocery shopping, completed in the morning. This store cannot seem to get the shelves stocked overnight so the first problem is the pallets of product blocking most every aisle - if not in near mid-aisle then on one side usually in front of the item we want.

Then VONS has this new "service" for those that can afford it wherein VONS staffers shop for you so us simpletons who want to have to do our own shopping have to dodge half a dozen to a dozen VONS Staff Shoppers and their huge carts ALSO BLOCKING THE AISLES as their carts are larger than the standard shopping cart! Today I came in for just four (4) items that were on sale and prominently shown on their store ad. Went to get Pepsi and had to wait for the Pepsi guy who was just talking to the Coke guy and a beer guy so more aisles blocked. At least he was polite enough to go to the back of the store and get what we needed.

We went to get a 'pot roast' that was advertised on sale at $2.97 lb. THREE meat dept people were standing around talking IN THE AISLE with a cart of meat just warming up so I looked and looked for the Top Round Roast advertised. NONE, of course! I looked a second and third time so as not to disturb the meat people's conversation about their weekends... NOT ONCE did any of them ask if I needed help. NOT ONCE. Finally I asked them to excuse me and show me where the beef roasts were that are on sale for $2.97. They looked at each other and all said that I was mistaken. I said that, "My wife rarely makes mistakes when she makes up the shopping list for me on the way home from work so PLEASE, where is the beef roast that is on sale for $2.97."

They again said that NOTHING except ground beef was at that price. Since of course they did NOT have a sale ad in their dept I walked all the way across the store and picked up the ad that plainly showed AT THE TOP OF THE FRONT PAGE BEEF Top Round ROAST $2.97!!! All three started laughing and said "Oh, we forgot about that." So again I asked, "WHERE ARE THEY," and was told by '**', "We don't have any out or even any cut so give me 5 or 10 minutes and I'll cut you one!" I waited and waited and finally got to pick one.

I went to the front of the store where several signs say, "MORE THAN 3 IN LINE? We'll open another cashier line." There was but a single cashier with 5 people in line and when she was asked about a second cashier we were all told "I am the only cashier on duty!" I asked to speak to the store director and was told "He's on vacation again." I inquired about an asst manager and was told "She comes in around 10 a.m." I asked if there was anyone in charge and she said that there were "Lots of assistants around but I don't see any at the moment." I suggested that maybe one should be called to help her and listen to my complaint and she said that she had already called for help and no one had come up to the front! As I said - This store should be CLOSED.

Original review: June 29, 2018

An hour late without a call, driver rude and did not help with unloading crates of groceries. Since delivery was so late, I unpacked majority of groceries the next day to find the oranges had many mold spots, Contacted their support; no word as to any resolution. I'm using Sprouts. Sprouts texted me when the shopper started filling my order and informed me all along the way to delivery. Goodbye Vons!!!

Original review: June 27, 2018

Terrible!! I waited two days for groceries that never came. I never received so much as a text saying they couldn't deliver. I spent hours trying to get it sorted out with customer service. Never again will I use Vons for anything.

Original review: June 25, 2018

The check out line always pisses me off. I refuse to buy their bags so I bring my own bags that I bought online. I hand the cashier my bags but they act as if they don’t know how to bag groceries. The cashier will put the least amount of items in each bag and just put the rest of the groceries individually in the basket. The cashier does this on purpose so that I end up bagging the groceries myself and I can’t see what I’m getting charged for each item. If I’m going to bag my own groceries then the cashiers should be eliminated and I can scan the groceries myself.

Original review: May 12, 2018

The Vons in Highland Park, San Diego, is using trickery to get you in the store and they also trick you into thinking you are dealing with quality, community minded employees. The put products on Just 4U that are not even in supply, and have not been for a while. Example, 3lb. Mandarins. The other trick they play is they hire convicted criminals of serious crimes, who have outstanding warrants. Example, Shanera ** aka Shanera **. She is employed at this location and Vons is aware. If this is the type of deceit you like, then Vons is your store,

Original review: May 11, 2018

Pavilions (owned by Vons/Albertsons/Safeway) Mission Viejo, Ca - Cashier advised it was "law" to charge 10 cents for a paper bag. Advised him it was "Pavilions' Law". Since California banned flimsy plastic grocery bags, some of the markets are charging for paper bags or slightly heavier plastic bags. Be aware - when a food market cashier asks "do you want a bag"!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

On January 10, 2018 I became Violently Ill from a Caesar Salad I purchased from the Vons Deli Counter which resulted in a 3-day hospital stay from a bout of food poisoning. After reporting the incident to a store manager I was contacted by Sedgwick claims, and their representative informed me that they were not responsible for my food born illness as I was the only one to report it, and I was also informed that since there was nothing wrong with the cooling system that day that it couldn't have been from my purchase at their counter, and ignored my report of cross-contamination by the employee who was using the same utensils to serve various food items.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I am literally overshopping at this chain. I have tried so hard so many times to just get over it but I'm finally done. The lines are horrendous. Product is out ALL the time. I can hardly ever find an employee to help me. Is there even a full staff at ANY of these stores? A great many people I meet there are always stressed out to help customers properly. Trader Joe's, not this way. Ralphs, not this way. Aldi, not this way. I don't understand what the issue is here. It's gravely disappointing. I'm always positive when I go in but usually leave unhappy. I have found things and had good visit but I'm over it now. I'm not the only one. Please Vons, get it together.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Went to fill a prescription today, and was told it would be 5 days before the medication would be in. Not the first time I have had difficulty getting a prescription filled. I switched to Vons because of the location, but now it is apparent that I need to return to my reliable pharmacy.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

The courtesy clerks always have the time to personally take one to where the food is. I'm disabled and partially blind. And this kind of service is highly appreciated by me.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I don't know why it is so difficult to order a greater quantity of items that the store knows is going to be on sale. Vons in Yucca Valley is consistently out of stock on many items that are on sale. Many people drive a long way in the desert and it is very frustrating to have this happen over and over. I hope that management reads these reviews and improves their ordering. I have complained to the main office to no avail.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

It's a good store, have a good selection of products, and speedy lines. Sometimes they are rude but most times they are extremely helpful. Their prices are usually reasonable too, when they have sales you can often get awesome deals.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I order foods delivered due to disability and food sometimes arrives late, old food or bruised vegetables or fruits delivered at times. Lack of attention to detail, some foods don't arrive every week as ordered (or at all), orders get mixed up with others. Most drivers express inability to make sure deliveries are complete when picked up from stores pulling the orders and some state order pullers at store aren't motivated to make sure orders are correct due to laziness. Prices are astoundingly high and I believe higher than in ground stores, 1 cantaloupe $4.98! 1 apple $1.32! But I am stuck due to limited stores offering delivery.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Vons near me doesn't have as good a selection as some of the other Vons in the same area. I find I am often traveling to more than one Vons or to another grocery store to get items I need or complete my list. Also I find some of the other grocery chains are cheaper. I also find some other grocery stores have better tasting bakery goods but those stores are not as convenient. One good thing is Vons right near me has good fresh made sushi; it sells out quickly too.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have gone to the customer service desk twice to cash out lotto tickets. Both times I have waited between 12-15 minutes for someone to help me. I was asked several times by employees if I needed help and every time I answered yes as I watched the employees walk away and no one came to help. I have always loved Vons but after this I will be changing to Stater Bros as they allow you to cash out your lotto tickets during checkout. This review is for Vons on Harbor Blvd. in Costa Mesa. Obviously they need either more CSRs or maybe the lady at the floral dept. could actually help instead of just staring at people at the customer service desk, either way I will no longer be shopping here as I don't feel that I should have to stand in one line to check out my groceries then go to another area where I can't get service.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I was once a happy customer of Vons Home Delivery, which I began using regularly in 2009. Gradually, over the last few years, I am not at all happy. I used to recommend them to friends and family. I am disabled and home-bound. They keep changing the grocery items and often deliver outdated food. Upon calling them they usually give a refund on these items but sometimes they act like they're doing you a big favour! The delivery guys, for the most part, are fast and courteous. The latest app update now makes it impossible to look for specific items by search. You have to try and guess where they are. I still haven't found "capers" on the menu! I can imagine the employees are going nuts, too! Am thinking of trying "Instacart".

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

It's very hard to express my feelings about the mistreatment that people ** receive while engaging in regular daily activities like shopping. I frequently visit Pavillons (727 N Vine Los Angeles 90038) since it's within walking distance from my apartment. Every time I enter this store, security is dispatched to the front of the store to stand at the aisle, by the line I'm in or to meet me at the exit. I'm stared down and profiled like I'm a thief. I have NEVER stolen anything from anywhere. As a matter of fact, I usually pay cash.

Not only is this humiliating, but it sends a negative message to everyone shopping and purports a stereotype that "we" can't be trusted and are thieves or potential thieves. I am absolutely sick and tired of this treatment when I go into this store. Tell me, what does a person look like that's "ABOUT" to steal something? I thought you had to ACTUALLY steal to be labeled a thief. Apparently not. The next time I walk into this store and get stared down, watched, followed by security I'm recording it and putting it on social media. I will no longer silently suffer for the ignorance of other people. This is why racism, profiling, hate, killing, and discrimination will NEVER die.

Original review: July 23, 2017

BEST SERVICE IN DELI FROM EDILICA. ALWAYS A FRIENDLY SMILE, she has the deli on 17th organized with her helper Guadufe **, and Irene in the bakery, the bagel was fresh and friendly, then over to get the nice egg salad from a smiling Vons server miss **. She knows how to keep the kitchen organized and clean, remembers my name,"hello Ricardo?" This has been good for the past 3months, before that I was sad to go in and feel unhappy by the staff. Now that they have a team in the deli and bakery let's keep them. Perhaps the company will let her know how she is appreciated. I've been in delis from beverly hills to new york, this lady does more than try. They wear hairnets and even design the layout inside the cases so it's fresh all the time, thank you.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have been using Vons Delivery since 2006. I have been very happy! I have had a few issues - like getting a bad product or not receiving something I was charged for but, a call to their help desk gets it quickly resolved. I would highly recommend Vons Delivery. It is very easy and the drivers/delivery men are always nice and friendly and do a great job.

Original review: July 16, 2017

On July 14 I received an Email from Pavilions (Vons) listing the items I had selected for purchase from their Just 4 U weekly sale as shown online. Sale dates were Wednesday, July 12 to Tuesday, July 18. Today, Sunday, July 16 when I shopped at Pavilions in Rolling Hills Estates I did not receive any of the Just 4 U prices given on the email I received from Pavilions. Instead of being charged $4.77 for 32 oz. Lucerne shredded cheese, I was charged $7.99. Instead of being charged $5.99 for 40oz. Frozen Signature Farms Boneless Chicken Breasts, I was again charged $7.99. And I was not given the $.50 off my produce purchase. I immediately noticed the $.50 omission, showed the email on my iPhone and the clerk gave me the $.50.

As I was walking to my car I realized my charges were higher than they should have been. I immediately returned to Pavilions and asked to see the manager. The same clerk said she was a supervisor and would assist me. I showed her my sales receipt and the email from Pavilions showing the prices I was to be charged. She questioned if I gave her the wrong phone number yet I obviously hadn't as my name was on the sales receipt. Next she questioned whether I had just programmed the Just 4 U charges. I showed her the date and my name on the email I had received from Pavilions. Finally after much hemming and hawing she gave me $4.50. The discrepancies were $3.22 for the cheese and $2.00 for the chicken. After telling her I was reporting this, I left. I have the receipt and the email but do not know how to submit it online. I can mail them.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I have been shopping at Vons for 19 years and used to enjoy their free sandwich after buying 7 sandwiches. Would get the free one with no problem. Recently I acquired another free sandwich, but this time I was told I had to use the online registering program called Just for U in order to get the free sandwich which is on my receipt. A few years ago I was registered into this program when it was new, by a store employee who was helpful, but I never used it because I don't shop at Vons consistently and don't bother with all the online or phone app stuff, way too much bother. I was rudely reminded of this dumb program when I tried to claim my sandwich though.That online fooling around is nothing but a big pain in the neck, putting it politely. Why was that ever started in the first place? What benefit is it when people have to bother with registering for this and that just to shop? Vons please get rid of that stupid Just for U program. It is a major pain.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Warning!! Please avoid shopping on the app, you'll be so upset from it. Never again will I be shopping with Vons delivery app. Horrible service, grocery was dripping in wet bag. Missing items, and pretty much everything everyone has complained about. With Instacart, Postmates, Amazon Fresh, etc. why would I shop with Vons again. They need to work on their app and service tremendously. This app and service will never win in the market. I ordered 2 jars of olives received one and emailed customer service to let them know I didn't receive the other. They have the nerve to tell me my order did not include olives at all. Appalled. Never again!

Vons Company Information