Trader Joe's

Compare Grocery Stores

Research top Grocery Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We would love to have a Trader Joe's in Ocala, FL (where we live). SR 200 is 'booming'. A Trader Joe's on SR 200 would be awesome (West of I-75). We're sure your store would be a big hit... All of our friends who live here wish there was a Trader Joe's in our beautiful Ocala too. Recently we drove to relatives in TX. We brought some pumpernickel pretzels with that we bought at Trader Joe's in Gainesville. Our relatives loved the pretzels so we found a Trader Joe's near them and bought some more. While we were there we took pics of a 'Flat Stanley' in a Trader Joe's cloth bag etc. (Flat Stanley is a 2nd grader's project from a friend's child who lives in Missouri) (Hopefully ya'll are familiar with Flat Stanley!) I'll enclose some pics. Hope to see you in Ocala, FL in the future.

Frozen breaded chicken possibly sick with food poison - I made this chicken on Wednesday 3/15/17. That night he was up all night with stomach pains nausea and diarrhea. Then next morning he vomited for half an hour. Today is 3/18/17 and he still has diarrhea. I contacted Trader Joe's on 3/16 telling them I was concerned he got food poisoning from the chicken. They have not responded to me at all. I still have some of the chicken if they want to test it but they do not care.

WARNING to Trader Joe’s customers: BEWARE when entering the store with your Trader Joe’s “Reusable Insulated Bag” lest you may stand accused of having stolen it. This is what happened to me: On March 13, 2017 I entered Trader Joe’s on Olympic, WLA with one of my red/black Trader Joe’s Insulated Bags together with a Gelson’s and Ralphs regular shopping bag. I placed them in the cart and filled it with groceries, many of which were the refrigerated type. The check-out clerk rang them up and asked “would you like to pay for this bag”, holding up said TJ’s red/black insulated bag. In consternation I asked, “what do you mean pay for it, that’s my bag”. He repeated the question. Irritated I asked “are you trying to accuse me of theft?” He responded, “I was just wondering if you would like to pay for it”. He then closed out the sale and I paid.

Thereafter I reported the incident to the manager du jour “Jim”. He averred – and repeated – “the clerk was just trying to find out if you wanted to pay for the bag”, in effect confirming the store clerk’s position of potential customer theft. The next day I called TJ corporate in Monrovia, CA at 626-599-3700. I was routed to “Customer Service” and the clerk “Nicky” amazingly averred that this type of questioning of customers is the policy for all TJ stores!!!!

For some reason only known to the man checking my son and I out yesterday, he felt he needed to give a speech on Napoleon, the Templar etc. on and on loudly. My son and I were there to check out our selected groceries not to hear some guy go on and on. We ended up standing there trapped by the check out clerk whose mouth continued to run on. We considered this unreasonable, unwarranted and will let other friends and family know that if you just want to get your groceries and go this is not the place to shop.

I love Trader Joe's. The people are always friendly, helpful & nice. However, nothing annoys me more than to use one of their items regularly, stop in to pick up more, only to find that it is no longer on the shelf. When you ask about it, you get the "Oh, I'm sorry, that's seasonal." I mean, really?!? I've gotten to where I don't even ask anymore because I know the answer. It's so inconvenient to have to start all over again researching for alternative brands that are an acceptable replacement, as it is very difficult. Therefore, whenever I find a suitable replacement, I will usually start purchasing it and no longer look for that item at Trader Joe's - boom - just lost a sale.

Actually, they've lost many sales from me over the years with that policy, & I am not the only one. I have stopped purchasing anything that appears to be a new product or one that I don't ordinarily see on the shelf when I am in there because I want to avoid having to have this conversation and then be put thru the annoyances of doing the trial and error in other product comparisons. One would have no other choice but to assume this way of doing things must generate a lucrative result for them as a whole, or they wouldn't continue to implement the policy. I know that the amount of $ I spend in Trader Joe's had dropped considerably for this reason. I figure if I have to go elsewhere to purchase a different item due to the fact that they can't seem to carry what I need, then I'll just go ahead and purchase my other items elsewhere too. I really hate it, because I love what they are about, but that policy needs some serious overhauling. SMH.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trader Joe's?

I've been feeling bummed about the quality of produce at TJ's for the past year or so... zucchini and broccoli molding, lettuce browning and turning the entire bag rotten within a few days. But, I stuck with them because the prices were good & things were sold in good quantities for a 2 person household. However, this was the last straw. My significant other is out of town for a couple weeks & I wanted to make life simpler by picking up some prepared meals. Just prepared the Trader Joe's Traditional Meatloaf; unfortunately, as I was eating a piece, I found a course, slightly curly hair, complete with follicle tag inside the meatloaf. It was nearly 2 inches long. I'm completely disgusted.

I know that TJ's is always great about returns & have returned oranges that were rotten (same day as the purchase, wasn't visible through the bag) with no issues. But, I shouldn't have to return rotten produce within 0-3 days of my purchase. And I absolutely shouldn't ever find hair in my prepared food. In the photo below, you can see how long the hair is, the root/follicle on the left end of the hair, and some residual meatloaf midway.

Spanakopita spinach/ricotta & feta cheese - Disgusting! Tonight when baking this product and then eating one I found a LONG GREY HAIR in one of these... disgusting!!! I took a picture and will return the product to the store!!!

Trader Joe's carries excellent products and they have the finest customer service for a grocery store. Whenever I am looking for an item that I can't find on my own, there is always a service person on the floor within arm's reach.

It's a treat to go grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. I love their selection of snacks and interesting foods. While their junk food is awesome and creative, I love the wide array of healthy choices they offer. I'm never bored shopping for food there and I don't ever want to go with a grocery list because they always have new and exciting products.

This store has it all for us... More reasonable than Whole Foods cost wise. And we love so many of the items that are their name-brand. So this store Trader Joe's is our first choice in healthy stores.

Trader Joe's is a fantastic choice for snack lovers and home cooks that aren't feeding a crowd. I love to go to Trader Joe's for yummy frozen meals, snacks and treats, and the odd dinner ingredients. However, prices and selection are not ideal if you're feeding a family or if you're the type of shopper that likes to stock up for the whole month. For instance, deli items or cheeses are underwhelming, butcher/meat selection is pretty "eh" and breads are also very scant. Produce is fine (also not extensive) and again, prices are okay not amazing. Trader Joe's is a once-in-a-while stop for me when I'm feeling like I need frozen chicken parm balls or unique bagged cookies.

Our go-to store for specialty items. Their house-brands are WONDERFUL, notably their frozen foods. Also their 'pound plus' chocolate. Their employees are very friendly and solicitous, taking customers to items, looking in the back for items. Great stores. Wish we had more locations such as Daybreak area of South Jordan, Utah.

I can trust Trader Joe's to be a healthy and affordable option source of food. My husband has high blood pressure and I do not cook with salt. Finding flavorable and appealing meals that do not adversely affect him is easy at Trader Joe's! I can also find awesome seasonal variations to my favorite items. I'm just heartbroken when they are discontinued.

TJ's has a very good selection and variety of foods. They even have samples of their foods in the store while you are shopping and complimentary coffee. It is also good to get a quick meal to cook that will be appetizing.

I enjoy shopping at Trader Joe's for the value and the health quality of the food. The staff members always walk you to the product you are searching for. They are very friendly and professional. The store often offers free samples, and very unique items. I only wish that some of their fruit and veggies were free standing (not in containers.) Checkout is usually quick and easy. They have a place where children can color. I like the inexpensive greeting cards. For the most part, their products are more inexpensive than many other stores. I will continue to shop there, and I highly recommend it to others.

Trader Joe's not only has a great assortment of products and creative seasonal offerings, their prices are great, the staff is friendly and are obviously customer-centric by offering free samples and free coffee.

Trader Joe's, has a variety of items not available elsewhere. It has a great variety of cheese and fresh veggies not usually found in other stores. The staff is unfailingly pleasant and helpful. I try to do as much of my grocery shopping as possible there.

We just got a Trader Joe's in Tulsa this past year. It's small but AWESOME. I love the unique foods they offer and have tried a number of items and liked most of them. I wasn't a huge fan of the salmon dip I purchased for my grandma's birthday, but it was worth trying. Once I went in and almost bought their apple cider, which was even on display for free samples, but the cider they had out was expired... which I thought was very strange. Anyway, I still think Trader Joe's is great and I'd definitely recommend it to others if they're looking for something easy to pick up on their way to a party or something.

I love the products Trader Joe's offers and I particularly like their selection of organic, pasture-raised, and/or non-GMO, meat, dairy, and produce. I've been slightly disappointed in the tastiness of the vegetables but they are a welcome purchase if I am looking for one-stop shopping.

Trader Joe's has a huge selection of products, ranging from daily essentials, to fun products that are only available at their stores. Everything we get from there is delicious, and the prices are very reasonable.

I can't say I've ever been in love with the supermarket before but I am with Trader Joe's. I love to go there each season and see all the seasonal interesting foods that I can't find any place else. I also love the staff there. I even look forward to seeing certain people. They are so friendly and helpful they will always stop what they are doing and take you to where the item is you're requesting or going back and look for it. Their selection is superb and if you look on for instance a pizza it's often actually made in Italy. It's holiday time now and I can't wait to buy all my little gifts and Hostess gifts for all the good low priced candies and goodies they have there that look like and taste like much more. Plus all their own brands are delicious in high quality.

The staff are helpful & very friendly. The produce is package in small quantities so it usually doesn't get thrown out. A good amount for two people. They have a good variety of assorted mixed veggies too. Every day they offer different samples of their products. This allows a person to try new products. The first couple of times I shopped at Trader Joe's I really didn't find anything of interest but now I have my favorite items only at TJ's. I'm really glad we have one in our town.

I absolutely love Trader Joe's. The staff is always very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Their prices are fantastic. There are certain items that I will not buy anywhere else - such as fresh celery and frozen broccoli. I just wish I could do all of my shopping there. I hate going to more than one store.

Wonderful selection, unique items, great coffee choices. Fantastic customer service, specialty shop service, supermarket prices. Will go out of my way to shop there. Cannot wait until one comes to our neighborhood.

Great place to shop. Only downside is their meat market, other than that they have very good and diverse selection of products. Their customer service is always helpful and courteous... They even help load my purchases in my vehicle.

Overall this store offers a decent shopping experience. However, I notice that many of the products are duplicates which limits the variety. Some of the items can be found in other specialty stores at a better price. I do like the store hours and the policy that allows the customer to return items purchased that were not to their liking.

Quality items; produce is always fresh and very reasonably priced. Love the yogurt and all of their specialty items. My husband likes the Merlot wine. The chocolate candy is delicious! Love Trader Joe's.

I started to go to Trader Joe's in 1990, when they were in California and Arizona. They were amazing... kind of a cross between a food coop, a natural health foods store, and a regular grocery store. The quality was great. The prices were fantastic. I know and accept things change. When a TJs came to my town (Baltimore) around 2000 I was really excited. It had changed a bit by then. They'd begun their foray into the dreaded pumpkin spice trend by then and had started to create some products that were less than appetizing. There was an overabundance of chopped garlic in things that my friends and I always laughed about. I used to buy bottles of amazing grade B maple syrup and lots of great juices, cheese, and organic stuff.

Around 2007, to my recollection, things started to go to hell in a hurry. Rancid nuts. Moldy bread. Really disgusting products that no one liked. Prices skyrocketing. Quantities going down. I started to return rancid and disgusting products and lodging complaints. Eventually my whole extended family agreed: we all stopped shopping there altogether.

About a week ago, my daughter said, "Hey. We should try Trader Joe's." I spent about $160 on a bunch of items and I am officially done. I ate a chocolate covered raisin just now that was all sand and dirt - no raisin. I almost threw up. Most things are rancid or taste weird. There's too much pre-fab powdered onion and garlic and other spices instead of the real thing. There are bugs in things. The formerly fabulous 5-ginger Snaps have less than half the amount of butter and ginger they used to have. They're dry, powdery and tasteless. I don't trust this food. I'm guessing it could easily make people sick. Bugs and rancidity are a very bad sign. Eff You Trader Joe's. Too bad you became just another profit-only-driven corporation that doesn't care what it puts on its shelves.

The garlic mashed potatoes in the box taste very sweet and contain a gram of sugar. I thought they were awful so returned them. The manager and the checker both said how delicious sweetened mashed potatoes are and that they always have them with sugar and that is how they are made in restaurants. A lot of mansplaining was involved as if I was just stupid and everyone knows garlic mashed potatoes are meant to be sweet. I am noticing that all of TJ packaged food is overly sweet. Anyone else?

That store it's the good one and I'm glad we have it in the South Tampa. Although the parking lot is too small, there are many customers shopping in that grocery. Assortments are changing constantly and you can find products from many Countries in the world. I just got crispy bread from Norway and very tasty cheese from France. Me and my family we are shopping there from the beginning - they opened in 2012, and we are never disappointed since. They have many organic foods and many good choices regarding grocery.

Expert Review

Jim AngelusBacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family’s table.    More about Jim→

Trader Joe's is a chain grocery store that is a leader in organic and fresh food. Founded in 1958, the company's products are known for not containing any artificial preservatives and ingredients. Hence, the store is very popular with health-conscious shoppers, as well as those concerned about fair treatment of farm animals and responsibility to the environment.

• Delicious flavors: Trader Joe's bacon is smoked over real woods, giving it a distinct and delicious taste.
  • No chemical curing agents: Nitrites, which have been known to cause cancer, are not added during the production process.
  • Bacon snacks: Those who dream of combining chocolate and bacon into one delicious treat will have that dream answered at Trader Joe's.
  • Fully cooked options: To make life more convenient for customers, Trader Joe's also sells fully cooked bacon; it just needs to be heated in the microwave.
  • Easy purchasing: Trader Joe's has locations throughout the United States, making it simple for most consumers to purchase bacon products from the company's stores.
  • Best for Bacon lovers looking for tastier (and healthier) uncured options, customers who love the flavor of applewood and foodies who want to use bacon in a recipe.

Compare Bacon Brands