3.71/5
  • 1 star
Based on 53 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2017

279 Trader Joe's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

My wife and I baked pizza with their dough, mozzarella, and pizza sauce. The “sell by date” on the dough was the day after we were baking the pizza, so the dough wasn’t expired. Food tasted normal and we (mostly I because I’m a big pizza lover) devoured it. Hours later, we were both vomiting. Figured it was a one day thing that we came down with, wound up taking a week of vomiting (me over 13 times in 24 hours), diarrhea, fevers, muscle soreness, headaches (any and all the symptoms of Salmonella), and missing work before we recovered. I still am dealing with what could be dysentery. It was the worst experience of my life. Excruciating sickness and all from a trusted brand like Trader Joe's.

Consumers should absolutely be aware of this. The dough has always been a go to move for us and some tasty pizza, but never EVER again. We refuse to gamble with our health. It’s like smoking cigarettes knowing all too well that each one could lead to severe sickness and/or death. Trader Joe's is a great company. Don’t get me wrong. But they must be made aware of what their dough did to us so they can take action wherever possible. And consumers should know so they can be careful and not take on added risk by buying this specific product. I’m doing this to inform the consumer, and also because after a few days of contacting Trader Joe's without a response, it’s important that this get handled differently.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I shop weekly at TJ's for dairy, produce, dried fruit, nuts, coffee, frozen seafood, some chocolate bars and seasonings because their prices are lower than nearby chains for these items and/or the quality is better and/ or the chains do not carry comparable items. Other faves are the frozen waffles, maple syrup, boxed broth, sourdough bread and flowers. Also, I like the staff as they are most often very warm and helpful. On the other hand, some TJ meat is too pricey, and there aren't as many items overall to choose from, except for liquor and snacks - half the store seems devoted to these two categories. But TJ's has a very liberal return policy so one feels confident to try new items knowing it can be returned if not palatable.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Both Central Market and Trader Joe's are good, better than Whole Foods or Kroger. But I feel that Trader Joe's is more friendly. They carry a whole range of products, and the pricing is right. For more economical products I'd check Aldi and Sprouts.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

AWESOME! Everything about them is great and customer service is the best. A few items are a little expensive but that isn't a problem because most are less than chain stores. We are finally getting one so I won't have to go out of town...

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

The BEST grocery store I have ever shopped at and I drive about 5 miles out of my way to shop there. They have a large selection of organic foods at the most reasonable price you can find. Their staff is super friendly and very knowledgeable. They investigate every product they sell with the consumers' health and safety in mind.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trader Joe's?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Consistently Trader Joe's offers great service, wide aisles, opens all registers when lines form, many of their brands are very good and good value. Produce isn't great but they offer many other products that are very good. A great food emporium. The only downside is if a shopper is committed to a brand. Oddly enough even the people that shop there are polite and friendly.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Trader Joe's has great products at good value. Extremely polite, cheerful and knowledgeable staff. Very clean and pleasant stores. Easy to reach products, tastefully displayed and often with a sense of humor. Cold food kept cold. Makes grocery shopping pleasant...

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

After purchasing a frozen package of chicken wings, I soon discovered that a "substantial amount" of the wings were broken. This tells me that Trader Joe's is NOT CONCERNED about the way their chickens are handled prior to ending up in their stores. When this happens in such a blatant manner, what else are they NOT CONCERNED about?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The staff at this particular store in Metropolitan Ave. in Woodhaven Queens are very friendly and at the same time helpful and respectful. Also, the store is kept very organized and stocked with high quality products. When I shop here I feel very welcomed like family. They serve samples of their different promotional products which I think make a difference from other stores, I love their samples and it helps me make a decision about purchasing a new product.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I would like to see more locations in the future! Could also add more vegan options, gluten free options, and eliminate as much wheat as possible out of foods.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Trader Joe's not only has good food at good prices they also give their food away that is out of date. They donate at every location! Not the others!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Trader Joe is the most accommodating grocery store I use. They have specialty products that can't be purchased in other stores. Unfortunately some of these products are short-lived. But some are seasonal so that is good.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I like most of the fresh produce and the variety of cheeses, nuts and snacks. I drive about 20 miles to shop here; the local grocery store's prices are high and don't have the quality that I find at Trader Joe's. I also like Trader Joe's yogurts and fresh eggs.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I shop at Trader Joe's for unique food items they have and for excellent selection and prices on cheeses and more. Quality, freshness, and flavor is usually outstanding. They often have best prices for quality items like butter, eggs, kefir, cheeses, Irish breakfast tea, natural and organic chicken, fresh basil, bagged greens, and frozen vegetables like french green beans, soybeans, and more. Nuts and trail mix are always fresh and excellent quality. Customer service is best of any food stores in the area. Employees are very knowledgeable and helpful.

However, their soups are sometimes not good. Their black bean soup is awful: tasteless and totally wrong flavor, what little there is... Someone needs a trip to Havana or Miami to find out how this soup should taste. Some of their juice drinks just taste strange to me. But overall I am very pleased with Trader Joe's and travel some distance to shop there. I have found some comparable items for less at Aldi's, but the quality may not be as good.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I consistently buy eggs and dairy products here as well as staples and some frozen items. Other stuff occasionally, but am always delighted with quality and freshness of their products.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Trader Joe's is the best store in Stockton. The only store that carries a good selection of organics and reasonably priced flowers. Their selection of produce is wonderful and the dairy, liquor and frozen foods supply me with most of my week's grocery needs. If I need something out of the ordinary I can find it here. I shop only at this store for produce.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Team members are always friendly and willing to help out. Products primarily in house items under Trader Joe's label, many good healthy options with limited ingredients, non GMO or certified organics at reasonable prices.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Peachtree Corners location of Trader Joe's has had consistently poor temperature in cold case where vegetables are stocked, so I have stayed away from pre-cut vegetables in hard plastic packages because they often are bulging. I did not think the temperature issue would affect pre-cut kale, which was not slimy-looking, either. It was dry, healthy, with no brown or dirty-looking pieces. Upon pulling the kale out of the bag it had a strong odor that smelled turned but it was completely dry, zero slimy pieces, no moisture. I found it odd yet because it was dry I thought maybe it smelled funny but was still safe/acceptable for boiling.

I cooked the kale in filtered water, boiling it submerged and then ate it with 2 tsp of butter. I have been eating this same batch of butter with no incident. Within 3 hours I had the most excruciating abdominal pain I have ever had, with extreme bloating and complete inability to pass stool or gas to relieve it. I was crying from the pain (and I have high pain tolerance), and dizzy and nauseous, and felt as if there was a pulling and brick-like pressure inside the lower right abdomen.

After a great amount of time I was able to pass small pebbled stool (sorry for the graphic imagery) and this did not relieve the pain. I then expelled large amounts of diarrhea. Both were unusually strong-smelling. The stool showed pieces of kale. It was so intense I called the emergency room but decided against it as I have strong sensitivity to medications that could also risk my health/life safety. I had to sit up the whole night as the pain worsened upon lying down. I fell asleep for 6 hours, eventually, and after that still had the extreme bloating and tenderness but extreme pain subsided. Was also still constipated and dizzy, with milder nausea. My package of kale stated 10/19/2017 expiration date. I cooked it on 10/19/2017.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

A friend of mine was visiting from abroad. She speaks ok English. She bought 14.00 worth of products. She gave 20.00 bill. The cashier took the money and did not give her change. He intimidated her that she could not fight back. The issue is not amount of money. It is INSULTING. ABSOLUTELY NOT ACCEPTABLE!!! I don't trust Trader Joe's customer service policy as well as moral and ethic they carry. Too bad.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Great prices and selection, always a sample to taste, and frequently they have seasonal items or new offerings. Also very easy to shop as they are not big or giant stores, like the standard supermarket.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

In the last year, the "best if used by date" on Trader Joe's fresh food products have become increasingly unreliable. Today, I have to return a mild and hot fresh salsa that has the unopened lid bulging from the decomposition gasses being produced by the product. It looks like it's going to pop. There are 3 more days left on expiration date. Also, I've found that the bagged fresh salads, Organic Herb Salad, also go bad 3 or more days before their date range. There's no problem getting them replaced but the shelf life has gotten worse recently. This along with discontinued Parm. Ranch Dressing and lite Vanilla Ice Cream make going to Trader Joe's more of a gamble.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I love Trader Joe's but recently our pantry has been infested with moths. I found nuts and packaged cereal and crackers with eggs inside the sealed items. I was in denial at first because my husband kept insisting that we were getting them from Trader Joe's. Our pantry has moths flying around everyday. Since then, I've thrown out most of my food since they got into other items.

I'm very disappointed as I spoke the manager in Tustin. He said that they only have the highest standard of their food. I guess he was trying to brush me off because I knew he was cognizant of their moth problem. I've had other friends confirm of similar problems with the moths and Trader Joe's. After googling it, I can clearly see that I am correct with where they have come from. I think that Trader Joe's should issue me a refund for all the food that I've had to throw away. I'm sad because Trader Joe's used to be a weekly shopping run for me. I hope they rectify this problem and issue me some compensation.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

My store in New Castle County just south of the PA border carries a LOT of really great foods you can't find anywhere else. Their French roast coffee has come to be the only one I buy. Their egg prices beat everybody in the area. However, the store is too small for the traffic it attracts, and several times in the last year when I made a special trip to get my favorite items… They were out. Happened again today. One of two things need to happen: Expand the store so they can stock more of the most popular products or get deliveries more often to keep the shelves full.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I regularly purchase organic garbanzo beans at Trader Joe's in Cranberry Township. I recently opened a can from my pantry, which was "best by Dec 2019." The liquid in the can was a thick gel, the beans were mushy and the husks were all separated. I didn't notice an odor but I did not eat the beans because they looked disgusting and I've never seen them look like this. I submitted comments to Trader Joe's, included the required numbers from the label, but to date, no one has answered me.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Family Style meat lasagna - I removed the tray from the box, pulled back the two corners of the film and put the tray of the lasagna in the oven as directed. Smoke nearly immediately started to come out of the oven. The film melted and the edges of the trays burned!!! What the heck!! On the outside of the box, it clearly states: "oven able". I had to transfer the lasagna to a safe Pyrex dish.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I am by all accounts a Trader Joe's junky! Because of me, all of my family members and close friends have become TJ customers. I have always loved their products but recently one product that I have bought from them consistently (and loyally) has gone bad, MILK! They used to have the organic milk with the thick cream on top. That was the closest thing to (freshly) squeezed milk from a cow that you could find. They finally got rid of that milk because, it went bad too fast, understandably because it didn't have preservatives. Now we were left with their regular milk that still used to taste real... but no more.

Recently their milk doesn't even taste like milk. It doesn't smell like milk. Just looks like it... I think the new TJ milk is from powder! It just is not the same. And it gives you gas a lot more than normal. And it doesn't smell bad even if it's kept for two weeks!! They much have added something to it. Some other TJ products have gone south but to me milk is the most important one as my little infant depends in it.

Original review: April 30, 2017

We would love to have a Trader Joe's in Ocala, FL (where we live). SR 200 is 'booming'. A Trader Joe's on SR 200 would be awesome (West of I-75). We're sure your store would be a big hit... All of our friends who live here wish there was a Trader Joe's in our beautiful Ocala too. Recently we drove to relatives in TX. We brought some pumpernickel pretzels with that we bought at Trader Joe's in Gainesville. Our relatives loved the pretzels so we found a Trader Joe's near them and bought some more. While we were there we took pics of a 'Flat Stanley' in a Trader Joe's cloth bag etc. (Flat Stanley is a 2nd grader's project from a friend's child who lives in Missouri) (Hopefully ya'll are familiar with Flat Stanley!) I'll enclose some pics. Hope to see you in Ocala, FL in the future.

Original review: March 18, 2017

Frozen breaded chicken possibly sick with food poison - I made this chicken on Wednesday 3/15/17. That night he was up all night with stomach pains nausea and diarrhea. Then next morning he vomited for half an hour. Today is 3/18/17 and he still has diarrhea. I contacted Trader Joe's on 3/16 telling them I was concerned he got food poisoning from the chicken. They have not responded to me at all. I still have some of the chicken if they want to test it but they do not care.

Original review: March 14, 2017

WARNING to Trader Joe’s customers: BEWARE when entering the store with your Trader Joe’s “Reusable Insulated Bag” lest you may stand accused of having stolen it. This is what happened to me: On March 13, 2017 I entered Trader Joe’s on Olympic, WLA with one of my red/black Trader Joe’s Insulated Bags together with a Gelson’s and Ralphs regular shopping bag. I placed them in the cart and filled it with groceries, many of which were the refrigerated type. The check-out clerk rang them up and asked “would you like to pay for this bag”, holding up said TJ’s red/black insulated bag. In consternation I asked, “what do you mean pay for it, that’s my bag”. He repeated the question. Irritated I asked “are you trying to accuse me of theft?” He responded, “I was just wondering if you would like to pay for it”. He then closed out the sale and I paid.

Thereafter I reported the incident to the manager du jour “Jim”. He averred – and repeated – “the clerk was just trying to find out if you wanted to pay for the bag”, in effect confirming the store clerk’s position of potential customer theft. The next day I called TJ corporate in Monrovia, CA at 626-599-3700. I was routed to “Customer Service” and the clerk “Nicky” amazingly averred that this type of questioning of customers is the policy for all TJ stores!!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

For some reason only known to the man checking my son and I out yesterday, he felt he needed to give a speech on Napoleon, the Templar etc. on and on loudly. My son and I were there to check out our selected groceries not to hear some guy go on and on. We ended up standing there trapped by the check out clerk whose mouth continued to run on. We considered this unreasonable, unwarranted and will let other friends and family know that if you just want to get your groceries and go this is not the place to shop.

Trader Joe's expert review by Jim Angelus

Trader Joe's is a chain grocery store that is a leader in organic and fresh food. Founded in 1958, the company's products are known for not containing any artificial preservatives and ingredients. Hence, the store is very popular with health-conscious shoppers, as well as those concerned about fair treatment of farm animals and responsibility to the environment.

• Delicious flavors: Trader Joe's bacon is smoked over real woods, giving it a distinct and delicious taste.

• No chemical curing agents: Nitrites, which have been known to cause cancer, are not added during the production process.

• Bacon snacks: Those who dream of combining chocolate and bacon into one delicious treat will have that dream answered at Trader Joe's.

• Fully cooked options: To make life more convenient for customers, Trader Joe's also sells fully cooked bacon; it just needs to be heated in the microwave.

• Easy purchasing: Trader Joe's has locations throughout the United States, making it simple for most consumers to purchase bacon products from the company's stores.

• Best for: Bacon lovers looking for tastier (and healthier) uncured options, customers who love the flavor of applewood and foodies who want to use bacon in a recipe.

Profile picture of Jim Angelus
Jim Angelus

Bacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family’s table.

Trader Joe's Company Information