Trader Joe's

Compare Supermarkets

Research top Supermarkets recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Trader Joe's carries excellent products and they have the finest customer service for a grocery store. Whenever I am looking for an item that I can't find on my own, there is always a service person on the floor within arm's reach.

It's a treat to go grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. I love their selection of snacks and interesting foods. While their junk food is awesome and creative, I love the wide array of healthy choices they offer. I'm never bored shopping for food there and I don't ever want to go with a grocery list because they always have new and exciting products.

This store has it all for us... More reasonable than Whole Foods cost wise. And we love so many of the items that are their name-brand. So this store Trader Joe's is our first choice in healthy stores.

Trader Joe's is a fantastic choice for snack lovers and home cooks that aren't feeding a crowd. I love to go to Trader Joe's for yummy frozen meals, snacks and treats, and the odd dinner ingredients. However, prices and selection are not ideal if you're feeding a family or if you're the type of shopper that likes to stock up for the whole month. For instance, deli items or cheeses are underwhelming, butcher/meat selection is pretty "eh" and breads are also very scant. Produce is fine (also not extensive) and again, prices are okay not amazing. Trader Joe's is a once-in-a-while stop for me when I'm feeling like I need frozen chicken parm balls or unique bagged cookies.

Our go-to store for specialty items. Their house-brands are WONDERFUL, notably their frozen foods. Also their 'pound plus' chocolate. Their employees are very friendly and solicitous, taking customers to items, looking in the back for items. Great stores. Wish we had more locations such as Daybreak area of South Jordan, Utah.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trader Joe's?

I can trust Trader Joe's to be a healthy and affordable option source of food. My husband has high blood pressure and I do not cook with salt. Finding flavorable and appealing meals that do not adversely affect him is easy at Trader Joe's! I can also find awesome seasonal variations to my favorite items. I'm just heartbroken when they are discontinued.

TJ's has a very good selection and variety of foods. They even have samples of their foods in the store while you are shopping and complimentary coffee. It is also good to get a quick meal to cook that will be appetizing.

I enjoy shopping at Trader Joe's for the value and the health quality of the food. The staff members always walk you to the product you are searching for. They are very friendly and professional. The store often offers free samples, and very unique items. I only wish that some of their fruit and veggies were free standing (not in containers.) Checkout is usually quick and easy. They have a place where children can color. I like the inexpensive greeting cards. For the most part, their products are more inexpensive than many other stores. I will continue to shop there, and I highly recommend it to others.

Trader Joe's not only has a great assortment of products and creative seasonal offerings, their prices are great, the staff is friendly and are obviously customer-centric by offering free samples and free coffee.

Trader Joe's, has a variety of items not available elsewhere. It has a great variety of cheese and fresh veggies not usually found in other stores. The staff is unfailingly pleasant and helpful. I try to do as much of my grocery shopping as possible there.

We just got a Trader Joe's in Tulsa this past year. It's small but AWESOME. I love the unique foods they offer and have tried a number of items and liked most of them. I wasn't a huge fan of the salmon dip I purchased for my grandma's birthday, but it was worth trying. Once I went in and almost bought their apple cider, which was even on display for free samples, but the cider they had out was expired... which I thought was very strange. Anyway, I still think Trader Joe's is great and I'd definitely recommend it to others if they're looking for something easy to pick up on their way to a party or something.

I love the products Trader Joe's offers and I particularly like their selection of organic, pasture-raised, and/or non-GMO, meat, dairy, and produce. I've been slightly disappointed in the tastiness of the vegetables but they are a welcome purchase if I am looking for one-stop shopping.

Trader Joe's has a huge selection of products, ranging from daily essentials, to fun products that are only available at their stores. Everything we get from there is delicious, and the prices are very reasonable.

I can't say I've ever been in love with the supermarket before but I am with Trader Joe's. I love to go there each season and see all the seasonal interesting foods that I can't find any place else. I also love the staff there. I even look forward to seeing certain people. They are so friendly and helpful they will always stop what they are doing and take you to where the item is you're requesting or going back and look for it. Their selection is superb and if you look on for instance a pizza it's often actually made in Italy. It's holiday time now and I can't wait to buy all my little gifts and Hostess gifts for all the good low priced candies and goodies they have there that look like and taste like much more. Plus all their own brands are delicious in high quality.

The staff are helpful & very friendly. The produce is package in small quantities so it usually doesn't get thrown out. A good amount for two people. They have a good variety of assorted mixed veggies too. Every day they offer different samples of their products. This allows a person to try new products. The first couple of times I shopped at Trader Joe's I really didn't find anything of interest but now I have my favorite items only at TJ's. I'm really glad we have one in our town.

I absolutely love Trader Joe's. The staff is always very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Their prices are fantastic. There are certain items that I will not buy anywhere else - such as fresh celery and frozen broccoli. I just wish I could do all of my shopping there. I hate going to more than one store.

Wonderful selection, unique items, great coffee choices. Fantastic customer service, specialty shop service, supermarket prices. Will go out of my way to shop there. Cannot wait until one comes to our neighborhood.

Great place to shop. Only downside is their meat market, other than that they have very good and diverse selection of products. Their customer service is always helpful and courteous... They even help load my purchases in my vehicle.

Overall this store offers a decent shopping experience. However, I notice that many of the products are duplicates which limits the variety. Some of the items can be found in other specialty stores at a better price. I do like the store hours and the policy that allows the customer to return items purchased that were not to their liking.

Quality items; produce is always fresh and very reasonably priced. Love the yogurt and all of their specialty items. My husband likes the Merlot wine. The chocolate candy is delicious! Love Trader Joe's.

I started to go to Trader Joe's in 1990, when they were in California and Arizona. They were amazing... kind of a cross between a food coop, a natural health foods store, and a regular grocery store. The quality was great. The prices were fantastic. I know and accept things change. When a TJs came to my town (Baltimore) around 2000 I was really excited. It had changed a bit by then. They'd begun their foray into the dreaded pumpkin spice trend by then and had started to create some products that were less than appetizing. There was an overabundance of chopped garlic in things that my friends and I always laughed about. I used to buy bottles of amazing grade B maple syrup and lots of great juices, cheese, and organic stuff.

Around 2007, to my recollection, things started to go to hell in a hurry. Rancid nuts. Moldy bread. Really disgusting products that no one liked. Prices skyrocketing. Quantities going down. I started to return rancid and disgusting products and lodging complaints. Eventually my whole extended family agreed: we all stopped shopping there altogether.

About a week ago, my daughter said, "Hey. We should try Trader Joe's." I spent about $160 on a bunch of items and I am officially done. I ate a chocolate covered raisin just now that was all sand and dirt - no raisin. I almost threw up. Most things are rancid or taste weird. There's too much pre-fab powdered onion and garlic and other spices instead of the real thing. There are bugs in things. The formerly fabulous 5-ginger Snaps have less than half the amount of butter and ginger they used to have. They're dry, powdery and tasteless. I don't trust this food. I'm guessing it could easily make people sick. Bugs and rancidity are a very bad sign. Eff You Trader Joe's. Too bad you became just another profit-only-driven corporation that doesn't care what it puts on its shelves.

The garlic mashed potatoes in the box taste very sweet and contain a gram of sugar. I thought they were awful so returned them. The manager and the checker both said how delicious sweetened mashed potatoes are and that they always have them with sugar and that is how they are made in restaurants. A lot of mansplaining was involved as if I was just stupid and everyone knows garlic mashed potatoes are meant to be sweet. I am noticing that all of TJ packaged food is overly sweet. Anyone else?

That store it's the good one and I'm glad we have it in the South Tampa. Although the parking lot is too small, there are many customers shopping in that grocery. Assortments are changing constantly and you can find products from many Countries in the world. I just got crispy bread from Norway and very tasty cheese from France. Me and my family we are shopping there from the beginning - they opened in 2012, and we are never disappointed since. They have many organic foods and many good choices regarding grocery.

I was really excited to see a Trader Joe's open in the Tulsa area! After using Trader Joe's as my primary supermarket in different cities (Portland & Seattle), I was curious to see if the Tulsa location would have the same appeal and great customer service that I have experienced. I was very pleased to not only see all the same great products that I love, but also the ease of being a customer. The workers were consistently asking if they could help me find anything and making conversation. My favorite thing about Trader Joe's is how friendly the people that work there are and I was definitely not disappointed in the Tulsa location!

I shop at the Hyannis store on Cape Cod and usually am quite pleased with both the service and products. My issue is with the flowers. Over the last year I've bought different flowers from TJ's and have had the same issue. They seem to emit something. After a few hours of them being in the house both my husband and I will start having itchy eyes, sneezing and throat issues. Neither of us has allergies or have these problems with other flowers. It doesn't matter what kind of flower. The most recent one is a small orchid plant but we've had the same problem with flowering bulb plants, asteroimeria you name it. They or their suppler must be putting something on the plants to preserve. It's so bad I have to throw the flowers away. I'm really concerned what this is because people are working around the and handling them much more so than a customer bringing them into the house. Anyone else having this problem?

Went to Traders Joe's in our city of Camarillo. Got Mexican Frozen stuff and that included their Guacamole that they sell. My 23 yr old ate the guacamole. We did not. Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, he came down with horrible diarrhea, headache and fever. We did not as we did not eat any of this. Today is Tuesday, and he is finally feeling better with Chicken soup and gatorade and water. He was so pale, we were going to take him to the ER but he seemed ok. It was a horrible time for him as he starts college this month. To think that this store is allowed to sell junk and food that is made from dirty food is crazy. I will never shop there again, oh yea and their whole milk? Had to throw that out smelled like **! What has happened to this wonderful store, I don't know but it is off my list. Today we went to Ralphs where everything was property fridge and fresh. Good bye Trader Joe's. You wasted our hard earned money and almost killed my son!

I have many many things I like about TJ's, but consistently, I have issues with their dairy products. Cheese gets moldy very quickly and milk goes sour very soon after I get it home. On August 6, I bought a quart of milk, I didn't check the sell by date. It had soured by August 8, despite being stored inside my fridge, NOT on the door. I checked and it had a sell by date of August 3! While I was at the store, they were handing out cheese samples and several of the cubes had visible white mold. Based on my experience they must not be keeping these products sufficiently cold, and perhaps their slicer is not kept clean and is cross-contaminating the cheeses. This has happened multiple times at different TJ locations.

I travel a half hour to shop at the Jenkintown location, which is closest to me in lower Bucks County. This is a grocery store. It is small relative to some of the generic big stores most of us see around town. Yet somehow the selection of products exceeds those available in the bigger stores. They have a wonderful selection of products and the prices are great. An easy example, honey goat cheese 6 oz is 3 dollars less than the same exact product at Giant food stores. Ditto with yogurt and practically the entire dairy selection. I don't consume red meat, but I do know prices. Theirs are fresher, have some very intriguing variety like stuffed pork chops made on site with walnut, apple and I think it was currants? as a stuffing instead of the bland mushy tasteless barely seasoned stuffing loaded with salt and pepper you see at the chain stores in my area.

There is a fantastic frozen food section with many diverse selections: a few of my always buys are sweet potato fries (2 dollars), chinese dumplings, spanakopita, vegetarian sides aplenty, frozen fish... from scallops to tilapia, cod, shrimp, salmon. Many choices, great prices. Produce section is fresh, cheese variety exceptional, pasta choices refrigerated section, butternut squash ravioli, pesto ravioli, sundried tomato, and basil to name a few. There are a lot. Being a goat cheese fan, the goat cheese ravioli was the bomb!!

There are so many unique offerings. Also, plenty of organics, whole grains and the traditional offerings like pasta sauce. Bread? One of a few places that sells whole grain bagels, Ezekiel breads that are not freezer burned as so many stores in this area carry: the big box stores have 7 types of white, wheat, rye, and potato breads and freeze the sprouted breads for months on end. Here they are stocked along side those I just mentioned. I love this store. If you've never been to Trader Joe's, stop in. I promise you will love the products, the staff, the pleasant people and the fantastic prices.

BTW... A wine and spirits store is directly next door to the Jenkintown location so you can get everything you need in one place. Only drawbacks, but hardly worth mentioning, cleaning supplies, paper products, windshield wiper fluid(lol) will be an extra stop. But hey, you can get that stuff anywhere. For really good prices, a variety of interesting and delicious fresh foods, go to Joe's. You'll be glad. PS. I first found this place while lost one day by accident two years ago. And have returned every two weeks since. Rarely do I find a grocery store that I am this pleased with, enough so to write a review, but this time, it was well worth my time.

Purchased the prepackaged tikka chicken masala. For $4.99. Looking at the cover picture it shows 20+ chicken nuggets on a bed of rice. In the actual tray 2/3 is rice and 1/3 the masala with 5 nuggets. Returned the item for a refund and also called their corporate customer service who were very unapologetic. Spoke with a store employee who told me other TJ items are similar to the tikka masala, being overpriced and deceptively presented via their packaging. I am contacting the fda to report this matter.

Why did you discontinue the Pain Pauline? According to your San Francisco Store they said that the Pain Pascal is delivered daily and fresher. That is not true. The bread is very dry and not tasteful. I would like to see the Pain Pauline back in your shelves soon or I will not shop again because what you carry now it just end up in my garbage trash. I did gave it more than a try. Even the croissants was burnt and not buttery at all. I just don't understand why Trader Joe's had to change it. Many time I go to shop from the one in San Francisco but the Pain Pauline is out so that why I go to the one in Millbrae.

Expert Review

Jim AngelusBacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family’s table.    More about Jim→

Trader Joe's is a chain grocery store that is a leader in organic and fresh food. Founded in 1958, the company's products are known for not containing any artificial preservatives and ingredients. Hence, the store is very popular with health-conscious shoppers, as well as those concerned about fair treatment of farm animals and responsibility to the environment.

• Delicious flavors: Trader Joe's bacon is smoked over real woods, giving it a distinct and delicious taste.
  • No chemical curing agents: Nitrites, which have been known to cause cancer, are not added during the production process.
  • Bacon snacks: Those who dream of combining chocolate and bacon into one delicious treat will have that dream answered at Trader Joe's.
  • Fully cooked options: To make life more convenient for customers, Trader Joe's also sells fully cooked bacon; it just needs to be heated in the microwave.
  • Easy purchasing: Trader Joe's has locations throughout the United States, making it simple for most consumers to purchase bacon products from the company's stores.
  • Best for Bacon lovers looking for tastier (and healthier) uncured options, customers who love the flavor of applewood and foodies who want to use bacon in a recipe.

Compare Bacon Brands