2.27/5
Based on 239 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

294 Trader Joe's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have a Trader Joe's a few blocks from my house. I like the idea of just walking there in 5 minutes if I need something. I think they have always moved stock around but lately it seems to have become ridiculous. I know I can track down a stock person but sometimes that person doesn't even know where stuff is. I mentioned it at the checkout and the cashier admitted that they move stuff around to get you to look at other products. I do not appreciate being inconvenienced like that just so they can manipulate me into buying more stuff. Their tactic doesn't make me buy more stuff but it has motivated me to go a little farther to Whole Foods.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I bought a pre made salad yesterday with kale and spinach, some feta, string beans, and broccoli. I not into a mouth full of sand. None of the spinach was washed. Disgusting. Today it was announced there was a recall of some of the salads due to a listeria outbreak. I really thought this was a place I could trust. No more.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I walk in to do a return mid afternoon...go to the register and refused refund and told she can look up my account on my credit card or I can take a gift card. Store policy is you don't like it we refund it. Then she wants to go to another manager for a second opinion. Stupid store...near Rosecrans and Douglas, parking lot near corner gas station, not busy store...near Polliwog Park. 1821 Manhattan Beach Blvd, store #034 Manhattan Beach. CA 90266. She wants me to buy myself a gift card.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Bought a box of T.J.'s frozen mac and cheese last week from the Culver City, CA store (on Slauson Blvd.). Nuked it in the microwave and began to eat it when I suddenly bit into something hard. Turned out to be a scary piece of jagged, sharp glass! Wonder if I swallowed other pieces of glass. Wth? Second time I've found a UFO in T.J. food. They better do a recall pronto.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have always loved Trader Joe's, since I found it for the first time in CA, and then it came to VA, where I had moved, and then it came to CO, where I had subsequently moved. Love a lot about them UNTIL I decided that animal practices are awful, inhumane and unconscionable. So I went there, totally thinking TJoes would be on board with pasture and humane practices. They are NOT; absolutely floored me. I can find a few products in Kroger, not many, but NONE at TJoes. The "desk" tried to act like they had something, to assuage me I guess, but they had nothing to show me. I am totally unhappy and shocked. Now, I guess, I will need to check out Whole Foods and Sprouts and Natural Grocers and such who I KNOW will have such products. Everybody is getting on board with organic, now this is the next step. TAKE IT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trader Joe's?

Original review: June 10, 2018

I’ve been going to TJ's since the 60s - their Covina store. I’ve always felt I get the best range of healthy foods and a excellent produce. They are very environmentally aware and their packaging reflects this. I love Trader Joe’s!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Always professional, friendly service. Cashiers working quick and efficiently. Always crowded but employees' attention to customer needs compensates frustration while navigating crowded store.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Always a delight to shop at TJ. Plenty of help around to answer questions, plus the staff is knowledgeable about what TJ's sells. The store is small and easy to navigate yet offers plenty of variety.

Original review: May 14, 2018

We recently decided to give Trader Joe's a try for purchasing produce and after 3 months we are genuinely disappointed. At least 80% of everything we have brought home is way way too under ripe and never properly ripens, especially fruit. This stuff is hard and tasteless. I have used every ripening trick in the book and nothing works. Trader Joe's picks too early, no doubt about it. We are going back to Raley's produce. It costs a bit more but at least we can eat it.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I'm very disappointed in the amount of sugar that Trader Joe's puts in these cookies (12 grams for only TWO cookies). There is no need for cookies to taste or be THIS sugary. I usually check the amount of sugar before I buy things, but I suppose I gave Trader Joe's undue credit and trust that their products wouldn't be as disgustingly sweet as major brands. These are terrible cookies and I won't buy them again. This was a lesson about reading labels, and not being fooled by the so-called healthier stores.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Agree with Jenny of Brooklyn NY review of 9.23.2017. Past 3-5 years some of the Trader Joe’s stores in California have become ‘frat houses’ where staff conduct is morally and ethically unacceptable particularly towards petite, single female senior citizens. Insulting and demeaning experience yesterday at 9.10am in La Canada. Three employees were standing around behind the first register when one, a tall male with long scruffy dreadlocks, waved and pointed both of his index fingers towards the other two in a ‘shoot to kill’ manner. As I was leaving the adjacent checkout register, he turned and ‘shot’ at me. Repeatedly, while smiling. A loyal customer of TJ's throughout Calif. since the early 1990s my grocery budget is now 100% elsewhere.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Trader Joe's has an excellent selection of produce, dairy, bakery, meat and fish and canned and dried goods at VERY reasonable prices. Trader Joe's searches out excellent suppliers of most of the goods they sell and sell these goods with a Trader Joe's label.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Trader Joe's is one of my favorite stores but I will consider stopping shopping there. They reserve the right to offer candy to my child every time we buy there. Not just candy, but stickers. For three years I've refused and asked employees to stop. They will not seem to take no for an answer and remember it. Why should they remember it, thousands pass through daily. So why can't they have a less aggressive policy? I called corporate number for customer service. The rep was far too sure of themselves.

They adamantly insisted they had no 'policy' of interacting with kids or giving candy without first asking the parent. "Fine", I answered. Then why is it this cant be put at the parent's choice level. A sign, I suggested, which asks if children would like candy given them? The parent could answer. Instead of having to refuse candy every day, and have the Trader Joe's employees act as if this is ungenerous of the parent? Do they pay the dental bills? Do they do the blood sugar tests? What about diabetic children, how do you think this makes the family feel when it comes up each purchase? I think that Trader Joe's, however nice they want to seem, is over-interacting with customer's children. Do they have this right? No, they do not. Are they going to go on doing it even if a minority says no, please stop this? Yes. Because they believe they do have the right. I think it's just too aggressive. Please stop.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Very disgusting behavior from a female food server... coming upon her after entering the store I took a sample and heard her say twice, "Thank You"... so it seemed like it was toward me... I brushed it off and continuing with a second sample when the older gentleman approached me asking me what my sample tasted like and speaking loudly after I said a cross between hamburger and hot dogs said how a customer came to take a sample but did not say thank you to the person that made the food. And he pressed on about my sample. How did it taste so I said it was very good that the customer was probably busy eating.

After coming from the bathroom to try and get coffee from an empty pot that she was making no effort to replenish he tried his comments once again but looking at him dead in the eye. He flaked out. She came to clean the coffee pot area making no effort to replenish any coffee and what I got before was almost lukewarm and half a cup. In reporting her to the front desk the team member tried to say she was forced into the situation that these were not her friends.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Last summer I got rotten vegetables. The outside of like a cauliflower would look good -- but the inside would be brown. Celery too. And I realized that I don't buy dairy at TJ's, I don't buy chicken or beef or lamb or pork at TJ's because it tastes funny to me. I don't like their bread -- it upsets my stomach. I don't buy alcohol because I don't drink, and I don't like their canned fish -- way too salty. I buy basically canned beans and dry pasta and BBQ sauces. So I rarely go to TJ's anymore.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

My wife and I baked pizza with their dough, mozzarella, and pizza sauce. The “sell by date” on the dough was the day after we were baking the pizza, so the dough wasn’t expired. Food tasted normal and we (mostly I because I’m a big pizza lover) devoured it. Hours later, we were both vomiting. Figured it was a one day thing that we came down with, wound up taking a week of vomiting (me over 13 times in 24 hours), diarrhea, fevers, muscle soreness, headaches (any and all the symptoms of Salmonella), and missing work before we recovered. I still am dealing with what could be dysentery. It was the worst experience of my life. Excruciating sickness and all from a trusted brand like Trader Joe's.

Consumers should absolutely be aware of this. The dough has always been a go to move for us and some tasty pizza, but never EVER again. We refuse to gamble with our health. It’s like smoking cigarettes knowing all too well that each one could lead to severe sickness and/or death. Trader Joe's is a great company. Don’t get me wrong. But they must be made aware of what their dough did to us so they can take action wherever possible. And consumers should know so they can be careful and not take on added risk by buying this specific product. I’m doing this to inform the consumer, and also because after a few days of contacting Trader Joe's without a response, it’s important that this get handled differently.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I shop weekly at TJ's for dairy, produce, dried fruit, nuts, coffee, frozen seafood, some chocolate bars and seasonings because their prices are lower than nearby chains for these items and/or the quality is better and/ or the chains do not carry comparable items. Other faves are the frozen waffles, maple syrup, boxed broth, sourdough bread and flowers. Also, I like the staff as they are most often very warm and helpful. On the other hand, some TJ meat is too pricey, and there aren't as many items overall to choose from, except for liquor and snacks - half the store seems devoted to these two categories. But TJ's has a very liberal return policy so one feels confident to try new items knowing it can be returned if not palatable.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Both Central Market and Trader Joe's are good, better than Whole Foods or Kroger. But I feel that Trader Joe's is more friendly. They carry a whole range of products, and the pricing is right. For more economical products I'd check Aldi and Sprouts.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

AWESOME! Everything about them is great and customer service is the best. A few items are a little expensive but that isn't a problem because most are less than chain stores. We are finally getting one so I won't have to go out of town...

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

The BEST grocery store I have ever shopped at and I drive about 5 miles out of my way to shop there. They have a large selection of organic foods at the most reasonable price you can find. Their staff is super friendly and very knowledgeable. They investigate every product they sell with the consumers' health and safety in mind.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Consistently Trader Joe's offers great service, wide aisles, opens all registers when lines form, many of their brands are very good and good value. Produce isn't great but they offer many other products that are very good. A great food emporium. The only downside is if a shopper is committed to a brand. Oddly enough even the people that shop there are polite and friendly.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Trader Joe's has great products at good value. Extremely polite, cheerful and knowledgeable staff. Very clean and pleasant stores. Easy to reach products, tastefully displayed and often with a sense of humor. Cold food kept cold. Makes grocery shopping pleasant...

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

After purchasing a frozen package of chicken wings, I soon discovered that a "substantial amount" of the wings were broken. This tells me that Trader Joe's is NOT CONCERNED about the way their chickens are handled prior to ending up in their stores. When this happens in such a blatant manner, what else are they NOT CONCERNED about?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The staff at this particular store in Metropolitan Ave. in Woodhaven Queens are very friendly and at the same time helpful and respectful. Also, the store is kept very organized and stocked with high quality products. When I shop here I feel very welcomed like family. They serve samples of their different promotional products which I think make a difference from other stores, I love their samples and it helps me make a decision about purchasing a new product.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I would like to see more locations in the future! Could also add more vegan options, gluten free options, and eliminate as much wheat as possible out of foods.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Trader Joe's not only has good food at good prices they also give their food away that is out of date. They donate at every location! Not the others!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Trader Joe's is the most accommodating grocery store I use. They have specialty products that can't be purchased in other stores. Unfortunately some of these products are short-lived. But some are seasonal so that is good.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I like most of the fresh produce and the variety of cheeses, nuts and snacks. I drive about 20 miles to shop here; the local grocery store's prices are high and don't have the quality that I find at Trader Joe's. I also like Trader Joe's yogurts and fresh eggs.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I shop at Trader Joe's for unique food items they have and for excellent selection and prices on cheeses and more. Quality, freshness, and flavor is usually outstanding. They often have best prices for quality items like butter, eggs, kefir, cheeses, Irish breakfast tea, natural and organic chicken, fresh basil, bagged greens, and frozen vegetables like french green beans, soybeans, and more. Nuts and trail mix are always fresh and excellent quality. Customer service is best of any food stores in the area. Employees are very knowledgeable and helpful.

However, their soups are sometimes not good. Their black bean soup is awful: tasteless and totally wrong flavor, what little there is... Someone needs a trip to Havana or Miami to find out how this soup should taste. Some of their juice drinks just taste strange to me. But overall I am very pleased with Trader Joe's and travel some distance to shop there. I have found some comparable items for less at Aldi's, but the quality may not be as good.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I consistently buy eggs and dairy products here as well as staples and some frozen items. Other stuff occasionally, but am always delighted with quality and freshness of their products.

Trader Joe's expert review by Jim Angelus

Trader Joe's is a chain grocery store that is a leader in organic and fresh food. Founded in 1958, the company's products are known for not containing any artificial preservatives and ingredients. Hence, the store is very popular with health-conscious shoppers, as well as those concerned about fair treatment of farm animals and responsibility to the environment.

• Delicious flavors: Trader Joe's bacon is smoked over real woods, giving it a distinct and delicious taste.

• No chemical curing agents: Nitrites, which have been known to cause cancer, are not added during the production process.

• Bacon snacks: Those who dream of combining chocolate and bacon into one delicious treat will have that dream answered at Trader Joe's.

• Fully cooked options: To make life more convenient for customers, Trader Joe's also sells fully cooked bacon; it just needs to be heated in the microwave.

• Easy purchasing: Trader Joe's has locations throughout the United States, making it simple for most consumers to purchase bacon products from the company's stores.

• Best for: Bacon lovers looking for tastier (and healthier) uncured options, customers who love the flavor of applewood and foodies who want to use bacon in a recipe.

Profile picture of Jim Angelus
Jim Angelus Bacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family’s table.

Trader Joe's Company Information