3.47/5

236 Stop & Shop Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 7, 2019

We go there. It’s close by. Other options not good in our town for us. You do have to look at dates there. It’s a pain if you forget it. Can be old. Only returned once. It’s a pain but needed it for dinner. Ripped part of top off to see the following week - this product was two years old. Pulled others down. Same date. Check dates. We did miss it while on strike. There is another grocery store I love but sorta a pain. Prices a bit higher but beautiful produce and meat dept. Hope one comes to our town. Basically going to the store is a pain but so much faster if you know where everything is.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I'm urging you to resolve this strike immediately. I've been shopping at my S&S store because of the high quality customer service. I'm very concerned with the current demands in negotiations will result in longer lines and less customer service at my local store that I've been shopping there since they opened, I want more dedicated full time workers who enjoy their jobs. PLEASE listen to your workers and customers. They want and need reasonable things like no cuts to their healthcare and retirement, and take home pay.

Thanks for listening to me and all the other customers who refuse to cross the picket line until this situation is resolved. Please do right by your staff so I can return to your store, that I call my store with pride, so I don't have to develop other shopping habits and shop at another store, and possibly a competitor. S&S did have a profit of dollars in the billions.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2019

While shopping at Stop And Shop today located at East Islip, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York. I was looking for a certain product in the dairy departments. When I was approach by an employee named Tim who was working in the department. He noticed they didn’t have the certain item I was looking and went to the back room and was able to get it for me. He was really nice and professional, very helpful and I’m glad I was encountered by him.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Approx 3 weeks ago I entered the parking lot and had the “right of way” when another driver traveling at fair speed ran the stop sign at the crossing lane. It forced me to jam on my brakes as I was right in front of where he came out and he just went around me kept going. After parking my car I was approached by Mr. ** who asked if I was alright as he had witnessed what transpired. I realized he had come all the way across the lot to check on me. He walked with me to the entrance and again asked if I was ok. I think that he definitely went above and beyond that day and Stop & Shop should be very proud of this employee. Thank you Sal!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

On Saturday afternoon, September 22, 2018 I arrived at the Stop and Shop store, located at 545 Freeport St., Dorchester, Mass. to pick up an order, I had placed for floral bouquets. As I approached the florist, **, she greeted me in the same pleasant, helpful and courteous manner she displayed when I first placed the order. She proudly showed me the arrangements she had created. She had done a fabulous job! They were gorgeous! However, I realized that I had miscommunicated my needs in the original order.

Instead of being angry at me, ** immediately commenced to rearranging the flowers to meet my needs. It took her quite some time. She never complained, instead she apologized for not getting the order correct, when clearly it was my error. Knowing my time was tight, ** went above and far beyond excellent customer service by offering to deliver the flowers, on her way home, to ensure they were in place on time. I so appreciated the offer but declined. I waited and she had everything ready as quickly as possible. Again, the flowers were breathtakingly beautiful! ** represents the best of customer service. She put Stop and Shop at the top of my list, when asked for a florist referral. She is highly recommended and deserves to be commended. ** ROCKS!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StopnShop?

Original review: June 13, 2019

My wife's car was damaged from a shopping cart from Stop and Shop. A claim was submitted to your insurance company and they declined a payment. We are over 35 years client of the store and pharmacy. I never would believe that your company carries such awful insurance and does not even respect your customers after over 35 years of loyalty. We also utilize the pharmacy. From this day forward, we will no longer use this company and no longer use the pharmacy. Shame on you.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Please check the dates on "non-perishable" items. I bought a box of S&S biscotti with hazelnuts without thinking to check the date as it a non-perishable item. I opened the box 2 days later and could immediately tell that the nuts had gone rancid. I checked the box and saw that it had an expiration date of 4 months earlier. Now I check all dates before I purchase anything and I noticed that the Super Moist white cake mix I was looking to purchase also had a date that was 1 month past. I had to go to a different store to purchase. Stop & Shop has always been my "go to" grocery store and I would like to keep it that way, but if things like this keep happening I may have to change my shopping habits.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Why don't they sell chopped liver or most kosher deli foods anymore. The few shelf stable foods are overpriced. I asked the deli Manager why they don't sell kosher deli foods anymore and was told they can't order any more of the items I came in for, for Passover. I find this is pure racism. It seems that most of the supermarkets I go to don't sell Kosher Deli foods anymore.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I was at Stop & Shop and there was a price discrepancy. They called a manager, which was not a manager. He tried to bully me, intimidate me, verbally attacked me. I asked for his name and he covered his badge. He continued to bully me and then threaten to call me police. I am a 64 disabled woman. He was not the manager, this man was a bully and verbally attacked me over a price. When I asked for his name, that is when he became even more verbal. I went to customer service to ask for the manager and he followed me and told them not to tell me his name and yelled he would call the police. I stepped outside and called Stop & Shop corporate. They never got back with me. This how they treat people especially disabled people at 64!

Original review: April 13, 2019

The store in Richmond, RI has a leaky ceiling anytime it rains, the robot is annoying, and there aren't enough cashiers. If I want to go to WalMart or Aldi's, that's where I'd go. I like to have a more personalized experience when I buy groceries. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AHOLD.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I didn’t feel right shopping here. It made me feel unwanted and an unvalued customer. No one helped me. Very dissatisfying. Felt a bit uncomfortable. Wanted to leave fast. I couldn’t stay much longer. I find that most associates were extremely unprofessional, unfriendly and should not be working there.

Original review: March 14, 2019

This evening, while at Stop & Shop in Pawtucket, RI (Store # 710) I was highly aggravated when I witnessed a robot coming down the produce isle, stopping in odd places and making customers stop in their tracks or have to maneuver around this thing. I've heard about these being rolled out to patrol isles to (allegedly) notify human workers to spills or items on the floors. SO, the robot's stated purpose is to travel throughout the store looking for trip & fall hazards? Wonder what kind of a liability insurance premium discount corporate gets for that?

More disturbing to me was upon finalizing my purchases and going to checkout, the store had 6 "self checkout" registers open and 1 "manned" register open, which had about 8 people in line ahead of me... because, I've long ago made a conscious decision NOT to use self-checkouts in any retail setting because in my opinion the retailers should be employing real PEOPLE (not machines) I also don't use those table top credit card machines, McDonald's menu kiosks or ATMs for similar reasons. It seems clearly obvious to me that these isle-watching robots and self-checkouts are nothing more than corporate (BIG BUSINESS) GREED!!! Machines instead of people... cheaper labor, more profits!

MOST ALARMING, is that while I was in the checkout line and people were all questioning the new robot patrolling the store and stop (making customers shift around it, move themselves and their shopping carts full of things so the robot could proceed on its' way)... a person would most likely walk around the customers in line or at least say 'excuse me' (not the robot)! Once my fellow customers in line learned what the 'stated' purpose of this robot is a few of the people said 'that's cool', or 'seems like a good idea', etc.

When I voiced my opinion that 'Well, that thing is taking someone's job" and pointed out that only 1 non self-checkout register (of approx. 30 in the store) was open and 6 self-checkouts were open, and NONE of them had a bagger (person) to bag the customer's groceries which was clearly due to Stop & Shop's corporate decisions that customer's inconvenience and fewer employees in their desire to increase their bottom line... Well, some of the people got it and looked puzzled (like they've never really considered it this way), others just kept quiet (they are probably like... listen to this nut). Maybe I am nuts, but I like and respect companies that employ people and support the communities that they are in (like "Market Basket", which has about 40 registers open with real people manning them, and with baggers at every one of them too.

Now, to get real crazy, consider this: What if the robot is not 'really' there to look for things / spills in the isles of the store and, instead, is AI that has facial recognition... it identifies YOU - what's in your hand/cart - notes what you're purchasing and records it to later be shared with others like... let's say... your health insurer! Bagged!! (pun intended) - you've purchased Doritos and Orios three times this month... you're too high of a risk and you must pay more for YOUR insurance, or maybe they won't insure you at all!

What if the robot is also listening to conversations, scanning those 'tap' or 'chip' credit cards (RFID), or getting the signal from that cell phone in your pocket or purse to ensure that it's really you... record where you were, when, and records whatever else it wants. Do you like your privacy? Are you ok with this?? You should have no expectation of privacy in a super market because we all know stores use surveillance systems (now a robot on the floor?). Like those 'loyalty store cards' you have to have to get the sale price, discount... yeah, they've been tracking your purchases for years now! Wonder who they share that data with?

So, Stop & Shop just got the last $$$$ from me that it's going to get - until they STOP their practices of being anti-consumer and anti-employee. Use your robots, pretty soon - hopefully - it can patrol empty isles in the out of business store. Market Basket here I come... so long Stop & Shop! #peopleneedjobs #customerslikeservice #stopcorporategreeed

Original review: March 10, 2019

Date: 3/10/19. Time: 09:17 am. My husband was at your store this morning. He used the self-checkout and used my debit card. When leaving he accidentally almost forgot my debit card. He turned around to go get it and once he returned the cashier had it already in her hands. After asking for the name on the card and realizing it was a women’s name she stated she couldn’t return the card. My husband explained that it was my card and was told the card had to be returned to the owner and that the card would be in a safe until the owner claimed the card.

My husband comes home and informs me of the issue. When I went to claim my debit card, I was asked for ID and a young girl who seemed to be a regular cashier no manager at all had my card at her register sitting right on top of her register. Might I also add this was not the original cashier that took care of my husband. I then asked for a manager. Woman named Liz came who was passively aggressively trying to put blame back on my husband for almost losing the card. As much as it was an issue to return the card it should have been just as big of an issue to make purchases on a card that doesn’t belong to the actual person.

What I’m most uncomfortable and upset about is that my debit card was not in a safe place away from other employees and customers as they claimed it would be. My debit card should have remained in the hands of the store manager or in a safe. It should have never been left in a public area where anyone can easily take a picture of my personal information and god forbid attempt to use it for purchases. What upset me more was I was not even apologized to. I then was told policy was to place the card in the safe at the end of the night.

I went home and ended up calling Liz again Because my husband assured me the cashier was suppose to place my card in a safe and Liz said this was true and that the store policy is to put the card in the safe immediately and that the cashier was aware and disciplinary actions were being taken. I honestly think Liz was just trying to tell me what something that I would want to hear. Her policy on the safe changed on five minute drive home. It is not OK to lie to customers and I strongly feel my card should have been left in a safe or at least the hands of a manager. Sincerely a very dissatisfied customer, Jennifer.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Stop And Shop store # 528 in Newburgh NY is a disgrace. I've never been to a store that's so ungrateful and unkind to its workers who most of them do try their hardest to help and provide whatever assistance they can to the customer.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I am beyond sick of being approached at Stop & Shop asking for donations for THEIR cause(s)... I have my own charitable causes and I do not want to be solicited in this way when I am trying to shop for food for my family.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

It is hard for me to bag my own groceries, so naturally I always go in the disability checkout line because I assumed I would have help, and when I saw the bagger was taking a break I asked a young girl that worked there standing around if she could help me or get someone, I am not one to ask for help, I did what I could slowly to help the cashier. There is no excuse for that behavior, a little kindness goes a long way in this world. Not everybody looks like they have a disability, very disheartening, this company should know better! You can bet your booty. I am always going to use my disabled placard on my car instead of looking for a close parking space! STOP & SHOP dropped the ball on this one!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

They had a sale if you spend $15 on Oscar Mayer products, you receive $5 off at checkout. I carefully added the prices in my basket to make sure they totaled $15 (which actually came to $15.99) and I carefully read each sign in front of the items to make sure I purchased the correct items on sale. At the self check out after I scanned all of my items, the $5 did not come off. The woman working at shelf scan come over to assist. She told me I didn’t meet the qualifications of the sale, that only certain products are on included, she took the $5 off manually as if she was doing me a favor. I went back to the Oscar Mayer section to verify I was correct and I even took pictures that the signs were in front of the items I purchased. I was made to feel like I was wrong. I’ll never go back to this location again (Milford CT).

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Stop and Shop Has no heart and takes No responsibility. On October 7th of this year I slipped and fell in a Stop and Shop Store, the store is located in New Hyde Park New York. I fell on my head, suffered a slight concussion and broke my finger. I am 71 years old and have never had anything like this happen to me before. An ambulance was called via 911 by a witness to the fall. I was transported to LIJ Hospital where spent the day be evaluated. I was released the night. I was advised to see my own doctors the next day and not to use my index finger for a month. (It was put in a split). Because I am NOT rich, I work 4 days a week at a part time job in order to make ends meet. I had severe headaches for over a week and my finger still hurts.

I spoke to the insurance representative for Stop and Shop and she said she would look into it. I told her I would like to be paid for the time I missed work and compensated for and insurance payment deductibles not covered by my insurance. Today I received a letter from the Stop and Shop insurance representative indicating that Stop and Shop has NO responsibility in this case. That "Minutes" before the incident they said the floor was "Digitally" inspected. They do NOT argue that I slipped, or that I was injured enough to be transported by ambulance to a hospital. I was given NO proof of their claim that the floor was "Digitally" Inspected "Moments" before the accident.

What puzzles me is that I made no threat to sue them or to even get a lawyer (which I cannot afford anyway). All I wanted was my loss of pay and insurance deductible payments, Which to this point is a Grand total of just under $1,000. Am I asking too much?? I was shocked when I was told that while the store assumes NO responsibility, they "hope I will continue to view them as my grocer of choice". That even seems more disrespectful than denying the claim. Like I said, I am 71, trying to make ends meet. I was not looking for and more than I believed I was entitled to. Was I out of line to expect Stop and Shop would, at least, reimburse me my lost wages? The injury did happen in their store as the result of a spill. They do not deny that. I am just curious on who agrees with me that I should at least have my lost wages covered. Thanks for listening.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have been shopping at the New Fairfield CT store and have now been overcharged at least 15 times in the past 3 months. From Clorox bleach, Tetley tea and also milk. Even after informing customer service the prices do not change in the computer. Yes I have been given an item for free but that sometimes requires another trip back to a store because I notice it after I bring groceries home. There is never enough help there too.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I've shopped at this S & S, and their previous location in Middletown, CT for 30+ years, and have sadly watched this store go downhill. The parking lot is always littered, the carriages have litter in them, the foyer carpets are trashed, and the displays are unkempt. Yesterday I visited the meat department where a stand-alone refrigerated case that usually holds the weekly meat specials was empty of the sale items. The bottom of the case was awful. Juices, dried blood, litter, and a dozen tickets/stickers from previous meat sales littered the bottom (under the grates).

There was actual dried blood in the bottom of this refrigerated case. I reached between the grates and pulled out ham and turkey stickers dated February and March of 2018. Obviously this case had not been cleaned in 6+ months. That, or they cleaned it, and put these stickers back under the grades after cleaning them. When I complained to a stock person working nearby in the same department, I was told "if you don't like the conditions here, I suggest you shop somewhere else!"

This store recently underwent an overhaul. They swapped every shelf and department around, and did absolutely nothing to upgrade, update or clean and polish the store. This store is TIRED, dirty, and needs a major overhaul. This time to actually improve the store, not just move items around. They are not good neighbors to the area or the environment. The paper litter blowing around the parking lot is disgraceful. I realize it is not store employees doing this, but it is their responsibility to police their own parking lot. Damn, if my cat didn't eat only one cat food flavor that only S & S carries, I would never set foot in the store. Maybe I can have it delivered to my house in bulk!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Went into the Stratford CT Stop & Shop to purchase a water. 1 item. I got on line and noticed that the cashier was in a lengthy conversation with the person who was checking out. They were making small talk and basically taking their sweet time. When it was my turn - she looks at me and says, "My light is off, what are you doing?" I guess I was so enthralled by their conversation I didn't realize that her light was off. Isn't their motto "friendly" "urgent to assist" and never say "no"? LOL Now, I know WHY they have this plastered on their backs - not that they read it. The customer service is always horrible in there. Needless to say, she rang up my water with a stank face on! It was crazy.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I have been shopping Stop & Shop in Baldwin for years. But for the past few months the produce dept is terrible. The deli dept workers are extremely slow, and have no manners. The store is dirty. I will not be coming back.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Speaking for the store in Springfield, Massachusetts, 01129, located at 1600 Boston Road. Every time I shop here, I'm agitated. The employees never seem to care about anything they do, some employees are extremely rude and just don't seem to care about their jobs. They're working loads out in the middle of aisles, and seem to always be in the way. I WORK IN A GROCERY STORE, AND THIS IS NOT HOW WE DO THINGS. It's ridiculous. A cashier left one of our items on another register and didn't tell us, and we ended up going home without it. Another time, a cashier overcharged us $40 because she scanned the item too many times. Every time we go to buy fresh fruit, it's either out of code within days, or already past its expiration date, so we have to always check everything whenever we shop at this store. Just don't shop here. Shop at a store that actually cares about its customers.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Don’t bother contacting Stop & Shop through their customer service website page. I did after they shorted me 300 gas points on a coupon I had given up at check-out. Waited a month, never heard back. Par for the course I suppose.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I am a paid caregiver which includes grocery shopping. The store on Hooper Ave in Toms River, NJ either fired cashiers or reallocated and revised their tasks so that there is currently only 2 at most available for long lengthy lines. And on occasion a 3rd line for fewer than 12 items. They recently spent lots of money on approximately 10 self serve checkouts. So I have to scan, watch my purse and clients money, bag which is much more difficult than at a cashier's scanning belt. No room for the task, then have to wait for a mgr for help due to scan errors or bagging errors. What a mess. I never want to go back. They make enough money without stealing my services paid for by my Sr client for free!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have been shopping at Stop & Shop stores in RI (Bristol, Newport and Middletown) for over twenty years. In the past few years I've noticed that these stores don't keep their shelves stocked adequately for me as a customer. Each time I go there now, I'm unable to find three or more items that I desire in stock. This forces me to then go to Shaw's Supermarket, which always seem to have what I need. They are higher than Stop & Shop, but they at least keep the shelves stocked properly. I don't know if you can remedy this situation, but I've been thinking for the past two years that I should send a review. There's no need to reply back to me; I just wanted to let my feelings be known.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I am writing this review because this is the second time I have received meats and cheeses with the plastic on each and every piece. I would imagine there is a bonus for the employees but do they deserve a bonus? They don't give a crap about the customers. In fact they act like it's killing them to even be there!!! I will not shop there ever again, this is the Stop & Shop on Cottage Street in Pawtucket RI 02860.

Also when I called and spoke to Brenda who introduced herself as a manager I could immediately understand why they just don't care and leave the package wrapper on while slicing the foods because she was rude, immature and really didn't impress me. It's too bad. Even contacting corporate nothing still has changed. What a pity. All of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Never mind all the bonuses. Greed is one of the problems. I would love to see someone in corporate eat some plastic with their cheese!!! Put a bonus on that!!! Good luck because I won't stop until something is done about this matter. Unfortunately it will go left without anyone stepping up to the plate!!

Original review: June 3, 2018

Stop & Shop has the freshest selection of top quality meats. I have never been disappointed when shopping there. I also found that some of the prices at Stop & Shop are less expensive than Walmart.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I went to the Stop and Shop on Belmont St in Brockton, MA store #415 on Friday to send money through Western Union and there was a handwritten sign saying, "Customer Service closed for 1 hour and Western Union is down." I did my shopping and I heard a cashier say to the supervisor (Allison) that a customer asked when did the 1 hour start and when will it be done. The supervisor said, "I'm right here. What do they want?" The customer went to the service desk and got a money order. I then went to the service desk and asked the supervisor why it seems like every Friday for the last 3 weeks is Western Union down? She said there is nobody to run it since she can't do everything. This seems like a situation customers should not have to deal with from a company as large as Stop and Shop.

Today I went to this same store and I noticed when I went in the light on self service was blinking but the other 3 self services were running. I did my shopping and about 10 or 15 minutes later I went to the self check out and the light was still blinking. I ran all my purchases through and I had something that needed assistance to purchase and the light started blinking saying help is on the way.

After a couple of minutes with no help in sight I went to the desk and picked up the phone and started pressing numbers trying to get someone's attention and a person picked up and I said I need assistance at self check out and he said he would send someone over. After a couple of minutes another customer at the self check out said this happens all the time and I said, "I know. That's why I usually go to Shaw's where they don't even have self checkouts since they appreciate their customers." I ended up leaving everything on the self checkout and walked out.

I don't understand why this store seems to not really care about its customers. I don't know if it's because it's in a minority neighborhood or if it's just a matter of lack of training of the management, but I really do wish they would fix this problem since I have lived here for many years and the problem does not seem to be getting any better. I feel that I would be better off just going to Shaw's right next door where there is so much better service. The only reason why I go here is for the gas points and I know where everything is in the store since I have been going here so long, but it is getting to the point that I need to make a change since Stop and Shop doesn't seem to want to make a change and make customers feel important.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I went to Stop & Shop located on Atlantic Center in Brooklyn New York to purchase lunch May 14, 2018. When I arrive at the hot food department I placed an order of fried fish. The Stop & Shop lady worker was very rude to me and others customers. Please assist in this matter. Also my coworkers at HRA City Agency experience the rudeness.

Stop & Shop Company Information