Stop & Shop
  • 1 star
Based on 52 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Stop & Shop

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

197 Stop & Shop Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I was treated with disgusting racist comments from a fairy like customer who if he didn't have a child with him I would've taught him manners in the parking lot. He was insulting my disability, my heritage saying "I'm a wasp. I hope we're not being invaded" meaning Italian American. So the staff laughed. Night supervisor said I wasn't welcome there. I got it on video. I will never after a life long shopper wouldn't buy a thing from there if I was starving. Shameful. So Italians need to know you're not welcome if you're disabled.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Every time I go there it's worse. First they add self check outs that always requires someone to help anyway. Now they are eliminating the baggers by shortening the counter and having the cashier bag and that slows everything down. I don't food shop at WalMart because that's how they do it and it is slooow. Need to find a store that cares about my time.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I like Stop & Shop in North Providence but I shop a lot there and we all ride bikes including my friends but they're losing customers because there's no light outside where we lock our bikes at. It is very unsafe at night. I talked to several managers. They are very respectful but no nobody seems to have the answers. I've been complaining about this for about a month now. PS they used to be light. I don't know why it's taking so long. And have no answers. I can be very understanding as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

First the good things. The store is clean and the employees friendly. But the selection of food products seems to shrink on a weekly basis. One week you're picking up your favorite item and the next week they stop carrying it. The quality of the precooked foods is very spotty from day-to-day (so I assume there is little consistency in the training of the staff). The meat selection is good for the most part but often the steaks will be wedge cut instead of a good straight cut and if the meat dept staff or off for the day there is seldom "any in the back". But the store is clean.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I don't find a variety of fresh green vegetables in the produce section and it is also difficult to discern the price of some of the vegetables. However I do find that to be true only at one of the stores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StopnShop?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Store is well stocked and clean. They have good product selection and the produce department has consistently fresh fruits and veggies. Usually has good prices and also good coupon policies to help the consumer stretch their dollar further.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Stop & Shop is close to home and near the bus route. They have most of what I want and it's on sale and cheap. They have friendly people and good customer service and they help local charities and community.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Great Value, common, nearby location, good store hours. Most of the time, fresh produce, bakery goods, big selection of products found in the stores.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I find their meat products are on the high end? The coupons and ads are always right on. Love the gas points program. The front end cashiers need to be a little more professional, talk less to each other and focus on the customer.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Advertisement states buy L.L. Bean or Domino gift cards and get 10x gas points. I have been to 3 different stores about 10x each during the promo. I called corporate on 10/20. Theresa assured me someone would get back to me on 10/26. Ben reassured me he would send notice to Theresa and she would get back to me as of today 10/31 no one has gotten back to me. I called today 10/31. Tawanda told me she would escalate to someone. somehow I was connected to BJ from corporate??? Very snippy. I hope you listen to this call. I would NEVER hire him for my business. I asked about the customer being right...

I guess Stop and Shop doesn’t care about its customers I also said the advertising is very misleading. I mentioned I will be shopping at another store (Walmart, Shaw's any other competitor). I can’t understand how they can advertise gas points for certain cards and NOT have them in any stores... I would fire whoever was in charge of that... (I don’t have a receipt number or a picture since they didn’t have any of the gift cards I wanted.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

It's ok. Sometimes not well stocked. Meat is average not great. Deli counter is mismanaged no real help. Parking is terrible. It's somewhat clean.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The Winchester store is the best stop & shop in the ten mile area of Arlington, Winchester, Medford, and Woburn; better than all of the others. My only complaint is where they store the electric carts for seniors - they are hard to get to.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Overpriced, unhelpful, out of things constantly, poor customer service from management, pea pod "pickers" take all the items off shelves for their customers, constantly moving items.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Expensive! It is good for people with large families to take advantage of sales. Family packages. Frozen vegetables very high and to purchase their specials you have to purchase $25.00. additional.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Competitive clean stores, good specials and smart on their part to link savings to gas discounts. Selection nothing unusual. Convenient locations. Wish had electronic coupons.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Every Sunday, (Before I have to work) I shop at the Stop & Shop on Allwood Rd in Clifton. This morning I spoke to Laurie, (Manager) regarding to the time the deli opens, she said, "6 am" then when I stated that every time I go to the store at 6 am I have to wait around at least 20 minutes, then she said, "It opens at 7am." (She is a liar.) The website indicates at 6am the Deli is open! False advertisement at Stop & Shop behalf.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Stop and Shop has a milk program wherein you buy 6 (the big gallon milk) from the name Brands (e.g. Hood, Horizon etc.) and you get the 7th one free. All 6 doesn't need to be bought at the same time and the system supposedly tracks your progress. At least this is the advertisement in the store. This is a scam. The system doesn't track the progress and you really have to go through their solution center to get it resolved. They make you wait and give you a lot of explanation why it is not the case, none of which is true and in the end they know you are right. Sometimes, they agree to give you a free one and sometimes they don't. It is a very very false advertising campaign that needs to be stopped.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

This review is about Store # 2586. 626 Atlantis Avenue. Brooklyn NY 11217. This store Needs a MAKEOVER with employees. Possible start from a Management! One star is FOR self check Service. But someone Needs work it harder and change a sale prices without any skipping. I only go here, because is a closest supermarket near me. Horrible organization, bad service. Zero skills at Customer Service. Well OK, unless you are same skin. VERY visible this employee at THE Customer Service has ** skin serious issue problem. Not enough? Another time same one employee USED A AIR FRESH SPRAY STRAIGHT AT MY FACE WHILE I WAS STANDING. (SHE did not use at ** WOMAN who was front of me.) EMPLOYEE used AIR FRESH SPRAY After a ** Customer walk Away and I was standing (Yes, I AM **). Yes, this is a RACIAL ASSAULT BY EMPLOYEE.

Employees should less talk and more work. TOO MUCH TALK!!! I used a self check cashier to avoid a cashiers who are VERY EXTREMELY SLOOOOW!! They have VERY Long nails, that they are worry Service their nails than a fast/good Service. HOWEVER, someone is responsible for changing sale price at these self check cash registers. Cash register did not reduce a coupon price, then a one product which was on sale, wasn't scan by cash register. Another item that was price $6.34, cash register was scan $13.68. IT should from This price a 50% off. By cash Register price was $26.99.

Employee went to check then he said that I Have wrong item. My Question is that That Customer is check What UPC numbers sticker to the UPC item. THIS IS AN EXAMPLE PRICE OF TO PUT RIGHT PRODUCT IN THE RIGHT SPACE AND CHECK MATCHING STICKER PRICE!!! Employee who was helping me send another employee to check price, without voiding transaction. After about additional 5 min. I decide to pay, because had a frozen food.

Then I had to go HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE TO GET PRICE REDUCTION. Woman who was helping me, she was lying with her entire while looking for item on the receipt. Looks like she has huge problem to stand on her own!! Then SHE gave me refund, but never gave PRODUCT back. A CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THIS STORE IS GOOD FOR HANG UP BUT NOT FOR WORK.

I CALLED A STORE. ASKED FOR STORE MANAGER, Man with "broker" (VERY hard to understand him) English and slow. Brian working introduce himself as WILLIAM. (Store manager?) When I ASKED FOR district store MANAGER he had me wait and never came back. When I somehow was connected back to Customer Service representative (Shatija?) I told HER I was waiting FOR William. Then SHE said, "THERE is nobody with that name." What a joke!

Employees work like they are in prison. Just a Chain they have missing... Today is a third day a week sale and most What I like to buy they did not had. VERY poor quality. Zero skills organization management. Maybe even a MANAGER try do everything but somebody has to make a WORK these employee work. If doesn't work why not fire bad one and HIRE a good one!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I wish the Stop and Shop on the circle in Fairfield CT had a couple of registers where they were for single items. I was in the express lane and only had five products on the belt. I was done ringing and up comes this evil woman who started complaining because I was taking the time to pay with change. She was only behind me about a minute. And she was complaining because to her, I was taking too long for her, paying with change. I was using my change and then I was going to use my last 10 dollars. The total was only twelve dollars. I told her she needed to grow some patience. I really had no money with me and had to pay any way I could. To me, money is money.

The other complaint I have is when one uses the self check outs is no one can seem to wait till you are done with your order. They automatically start ringing even before you are finished bagging your order. What is the rush all about. I always wait for the other person in front of me. I don't like waiting either but everyone has a right to use the station until they are done. What happened to decency and respect, and violating the other person’s space. I wish Stop and Shop would come up with a way to get the other customer off the paying customer’s back till they are done.

The other thing that I don't understand is why are people looking at what you are putting in for a pin number if you are paying with your card. People have actually come up behind me to check out what I am putting in for a pin number. I have been putting my hand over the top so I can't even see what I am punching in. I hope these kinds of issues can get resolved. I have been a Stop and Shop customer for a long time, because I like Stop and Shop. But being a customer there is getting hairy. I hope someone can help with these issues. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

While shopping in Seaford NY store I find it very overcrowded with boxes & food displayed in every aisle. The shopping carts can't even fit in the aisles. A total fire hazard. Also very messy for a new store! I shopped in this store for many years when it was Pathmark & I never saw anything like this! I will now be shopping in Shop Rite even though it's in another town. Many of my neighbors agree with me! Hope you get a better manager for this store or whatever it takes to clean it up!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Changes in your Middletown, CT, store on East Main Street - First, who decided to put all the salads on the far left of the store necessitating a hike when you first enter. Just what a senior or young mother with kids wants. Second, the managerial person who dreamed up the carousels replacing the regular packing lane has never worked a day as a cashier. Now you can't help the cashier pack even if you wanted -- no room. Three, there should have been a directory paper given out at the door at the grand opening to acclimate customers; people were running up and down the aisles looking for the relocated ketchup, relishes, and pickles. Four, you have less width to your aisles and you evidently don't know the demographics of Middletown -- the Poles, Italians, and Irish there are all interrelated and no one can indulge in any kind of gabfest anymore, which for you the management is excellent, but for the customers a source of annoyance.

You can barely negotiate your wagon through the aisle if there is another wagon coming down the opposite side. I worked at the First National Stores in high school and college as a cashier so I know a little something about the grocery merchandising business. Carousels may be fine for Wal-Mart but why your corporation wants to "ape" their competition is a bad business decision. I will be going to the Madison, Clinton, or Old Saybrook stores. Also, I want to compliment Ethel and the Indian lady who wears the sari in your Middletown store. They are excellent cashiers as is Linda who works in Old Saybrook. Whenever I see those three ladies working, I wait in their lines. They are very friendly, fast, and accommodating.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Stop and Shop Pharmacy at 1 Trowbridge Place, Bourne, MA - Been filling Rx at above pharmacy for quite a long time. The staff at this pharmacy are the kindest and most professional people at any pharmacy that I have visited over the years.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I shop at 375 Centre Street, Abington, MA. While shopping yesterday, I was very shocked to see dozens of pallets of products all over the store, often blocking my ability to shop! Could a better time/day have been chosen to re-stock product due to the fact that the store was almost overflowing with customers? It was the middle of the day on a long-weekend!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Stop & Shop at 150 Whalley Ave, New Haven, CT 06515, "WAS" one of my shopping destination. I had to use their Western Union services. Went there and had all details and documents with me. The staff ** at the counter was polite. She required a second identification, which I provided. Then she told me that she will need my SSN. I explained to her that I don't have one and that it is not a first time for me to receive cash without ssn.

She asked another staff who said that I must provide ssn in order to receive money. He is not talking to me, not looking but saying that this is what it is and that I should go to another place where I got it first time. This staff name is ** and First: he definitely should not be in customer service environment. Second: He should get a proper training/coaching related to customer service. ** was kinda nice, but at the end he got encouraged by **'s negative approach. Because of this happened today, Stop & Shop lost one customer.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

My Stop and Shop has a Peapod delivery store upstairs. They constantly remove products from the store shelves to satisfy Peapod delivery service. They are always out of products I use and constantly change what they carry. Their prices are also not competitive.

Original review: July 30, 2017

The Stop & Shop on Kings Highway Cutoff in Fairfield CT is getting worse by the day! The parking lot always has garbage all over, the shopping carts usually have garbage left in them and they are jammed so tightly together, it is nearly impossible to get one basket out to use. When you walk in the store, there is usually a disgusting, foul sour odor - this has been going on for a long time.

Stop & Shop wants you to use the scanning guns, but there are seldom bags at the pick up area and when you scan your courtesy card and the scanner gun lights up, the guns are often stuck in the spot so you need to try 3+ times to get a scanner you can remove from the display. Also, most of the baskets to not have the scanner holder on them. There is often only 1 check out line with an employee to check you out, so the wait is ridiculously long. If you use the self scanner and are unlucky enough to get audited, forget about any care given to your groceries as the gun will be jammed into your bag with no regard to your grapes and other fruit that you prefer not to be crushed by your jug of milk. Be prepared to wait, wait, wait at the deli counter as the people who work there finish their personal conversations and ignore the customers.

And, my personal favorite which happened tonight -- I self scanned and went to check out and the screen had a notice that the "coupon tray is full" - when I finally got the attention of the "helper" he came over and had to lean down and blow into the coupon discard slot because if a coupon gets stuck, the entire process is halted. Been a customer there for a while, but I have now had enough - worse store, poor management, rude customer service - IF and WHEN you can get their attention... Very sad how downhill this store has gone over the past few years. Head to the Westport store where you get clean baskets, no foul smell & excellent customer service...

Original review: July 22, 2017

I had drop my house key in the shopping cart. The manager of the store Mario ** found the keys. Without him giving it to the service desk, I would never gotten into my house. Calling a locksmith, I can't imagine how much that bill would have been. I just want to thank Mario again finding my keys. He's the best.

Original review: July 19, 2017

The Granby CT Stop & Shop has an extremely rude deli counter guy who looked at me w/o interest and asked me if he could help me in a cold rude tone. I told him I wanted two hot dogs and he said, "OK" and then just handed them to me like he was handing me a turd. To the next person, a guy, he said, "Hi, how are you?" in a friendly warm tone, whereas I was treated with complete disdain. He has been rude to me several times now, maybe I look like the guy's ex-wife? He has a ponytail and large glasses. This man is awful.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Stop & Shop supermarkets frequently posts a sign on the display for Thomas' English Muffins offering "buy one - get one free" or "buy one - get two free". However the fine print on the ads in their circulars shows exclusions, offering the discount on only certain varieties of the product. Many customers don't use ad circulars, they trust the store signs. The sign is a gimmick to entice people into thinking the promotion applies to all Thomas' English muffins, since the sign makes no reference to the excluded products. It is only after the transaction is rung up at the register that the customer realizes that they got charged for the extra product instead of getting the extra one (or ones) free as promised by the display sign. Then one has to go through the inconvenience of standing online at customer service to get the refund on the one or two extra products they were charged for.

Then you have to wait for the person at the desk to thumb through the circular to find the product, and then they go back to the display to look at the sign. This is a major inconvenience to the customer. The idea is that most people won't fight it and end up buying the extra product, which they only bought in the first place because it was promised for free. The sign makes no distinction whatsoever as to which Thomas' English muffins are on sale. It does not show any specifics, it just says "Thomas' English muffins - buy one - get one free" and the yellow sale tags are on every shelf on the end-cap display in front of ALL of the Thomas' English muffins.

Most people either don't check their receipts to see if they got the discount, or if they do, they don't bother to fight it or wait for a refund. Obviously, Stop & Shop anticipates this and generates a huge profit from this tricky advertising scheme. Through this practice, they entice customers into buying 2 or 3 times the amount of product on the appeal of getting something for free.

Original review: June 30, 2017

The Unionville CT store checkout clerks are poorly trained and needs frequent supervisor assistance. My trip to the store took far longer than it should have since the checkout clerk had to keep asking for help. After waiting 15 minutes, and no progress was being made, I had to eventually go to a different checkout line. When I asked the supervisor what the issue was, she admitted that she really had no idea why the checkout clerk was having problems. Bad sign! The checkout lines are now routinely long and slow. This was never an issue in the past at this store.

I went to the store manager, which was an exercise in which he keenly demonstrated terrible customer service skills and zero empathy. I might as well have been talking to the wall. When I asked for his supervisor's number, he clearly wrote down a number that is inactive/out of service. What a surprise. I urge everyone to stay away from the Unionville store until corporate does something to change the management team at this store. I have been shopping at this store since it opened, and the performance and quality of the help is a far cry from what it used to be.

Stop & Shop Company Information