Stop & Shop

Compare Grocery Stores

Research top Grocery Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I went to Stop & Shop in Brockton on Belmont St. last night after work to do my weekly shopping. I had a whole cart full of groceries and I went to the register and there was only 1 register opened and a line of about 5 people not including myself and they all had cart full of groceries. I said to a person that I thought was a supervisor "you only have 1 register opened?" and she said, "We have the self checkouts opened too". I left my cart and walked out and said this is not worth it. I went to Shaw's and did my shopping and probably got better prices and was able to checkout right away. I think Stop & Shop doesn't appreciate their customers and it shows. Perhaps they feel they can deal with losing customers, but time will tell.

I went there to see a line & decided to stand waiting, thinking she would probably be moving fast or get help because of the line. She's there moving very fragile as if not happy to keep the line moving, then suddenly she leaves the long line and goes over to a customer that just walked up with a cart full of groceries to transact a return. (????) Now I'm mad because we have been waiting and then she just leaves without ringing for help or anything.

So about 7 minutes goes by, I saw 2 guys standing around with name badges so I went over to them, nicely greeted and said, "Excuse me, could she get some help? She has a long line, and she just left it to help with returns". He said they're just a few people here that can do the Western Union transactions. I said, "So please send someone to help her with returns & bottle return receipts, and let her do the Western Union". He said there's no one available. I thanked him & walked away, and he went back to chatting up about his golf trip with his mistress!?? This has got to be one of the worst places to step into. They're always short staffed & always have an attitude! Stop & Shop in Waterbury, CT on Walcott Street IS THE WORST!

Some of the cashiers have this DISGUSTING and UNHEALTHY HABIT of licking their fingers and salivate on the money and the plastic bags in order to insert the goods. This is the third time I am complaining to a cashier at Stop and Shop at 130 Wheatley Plaza in Greenvale NY. PLEASE TRAIN your employees to use water with a sponge in order to reduce the risk of infections.

I ordered online a 3 ft Boars Head-Italian sub on February 25th, 2017 to be picked up March 1st, 2017 at 5 pm at the Stop and Shop # 2589 located at 92-10 Atlantic Ave., Ozone Park, NY. When my husband and I arrived to pick up our order at the deli counter they looked surprised when I showed them my order form. This made me nervous. The worker attending to us said he will check the inside, but found nothing. I spoke to the deli manager, and he told me that he doesn't know why they didn't receive the order. He graciously offered me a $10 gift card.

I ordered this sub to bring the next day to the hospital in Connecticut for my daughter who is receiving chemotherapy for breast cancer. My family scrambled that night to prepare sandwiches for my daughter as promised. The $10 gift card was not worth the aggravation that happened to us. We hope this would never happen again to other customers. Stop and Shop needs to make an effort to make sure their online orders are completed. My Stop and Shop order confirmation number is **.

While browsing through the salmon I discovered the pictured salmon. I gave 3 of these to the clerk in the department and he told me he would ask his manager what this was. I took a picture of the fourth package which had the least maggots. The others were even more invested. I felt sick all evening and skipped dinner. Clearly there is something wrong with quality assurance at S&S and with the supplier. What will you do about this?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StopnShop?

I placed an order on Friday 2/10/17 for pick up on Sunday 2/12/17 at 10:00am (Lake Ronkonkoma NY store). I just had surgery so shopping is hard for me as I have limited use of my arm... I get to the Lake Ronkonkoma store on Sunday in the snow & ice only to be told there is no order under my name. I gave the employee my confirmation #-order # only to be told to call 1-800-5-peadpod... I call and I am told my order was cancelled. No email or phone call to advise me of this, nothing!! I asked why and was told that the "system" found another account under my name so they cancelled my current account along with my order. This is completely unacceptable. You call this customer service? You cancel a customers order without any notification at all?

Needless to say that I had to then waste 2 hours of my time shopping for the food I ORDERED VIA PICKUP SERVICE! I did not receive an apology or anything, I received an "oh well" and a nasty look from the store employee. Then I check my checking account because I used my debit card to pay online and they certainly CHARGED me for the order they cancelled!! I will NEVER use pea pod service again nor will I ever shop at Stop & Shop or recommend your store or pea pod to any of my friends or family. I am so happy that Shoprite is opening up next to your store because that's where I will shop from now on. If they continue to display poor customer service or cancel orders (but charge customers) without notification I can only hope that you'll be out of business soon. Completely angry over how they handled the situation! They did NOTHING to assist.

Discrimination at Stop & Shop Berlin CT - Yesterday Saturday Feb. 4, 2017. 4 pm. After shopping for groceries. I was targeted. I scanned the groceries for my daughter and then bagged them. While checking out after paying for my daughter's groceries. There was a balance of $1.60 for the bags. I then added my groceries which I did not use the handheld scanner. I scanned then put the items on the belt. The store manager April came over to me and said I was being audited. Ok I said. She then told me to follow her over to another register. April then dumped out all my groceries that I had paid for my daughter. She re-scanned all those items. There was no difference in the price. April treated me with so much disrespect. I was crying because I was being accused of something that I do not do. April should be fired for what she did to me. I will be contacting my attorney.

On January 14th at approx 6:00 pm I pulled into the handicap space that was approx 20 feet from the store entrance! It was snowing (my wife was ill so I was doing the shopping). As I started towards the entrance I noticed an employee standing against the wall smoking a cigarette, I also noticed that the bottle return room was empty, so I thought I would seize the moment and return the 6 or 7 little plastic grocery bags filled with returnable. I found a cart nearby and proceeded to fill the cart with the plastic bags. Well in my haste, (being cold) I ripped one of the bags and cans and bottles fell to the ground. Well I got down on my hands and knees to pick them up, that was a little more than I wanted to go through.

Anyways here I am a 284 pound old handicap guy on his hands and knees in your parking lot, I look over at the employee (while on my hands and knees in the snow) and think to myself, "Really dude?" I mean he is a mere 20 feet away and watched me go through all that! Well anyways I am now cold, wet and am not feeling all the good but I continue. I push the cart up to the bottle return door and the employee standing against the wall looked at me and said "No carts allowed." I said "Really? Then why is there a cart in there now?" He leaned forward to look and said that was for cardboard. I was a little puzzled, so I said "Stop and Shop values cardboard more than a valued paying customer?" He said "If you don't like then you can go elsewhere!" I was shocked! But I said "Well I am a growing man. I should be able to figure this out."

So with that I left the cart outside the door and grabbed a couple of bags, and of course the bag got snagged by the cart so it ripped open as well and cans and bottles fall to the ground. Well I bend over pick them up and at this point I am in pain and discomfort from the 9 hernias I have from my triple bypass surgery I had in 2009. I walk into the room and put a 2 liter bottle in machine, only one machine worked in the whole room to took plastic. Well wouldn't you know my luck the machine spits out a receipt for 5 cents and says machine full. I tell the employee standing right outside still standing against the wall. His reply was "Yeah I will get right on it" and laughed. I was again shocked. "What the hell" I thought, so I called my wife on the phone and explained to her that our dinner will be late due to what I just went through.

The employee heard me say "I can not believe that employee of Stop and Shop was acting and treating me this way." He overheard me and slammed the machine and said "You wait right here. I will go get the damn manager." I waited for 3 or 5 minutes (maybe longer). Anyways I went back in the bottle return room out of cold. I walk to phone hanging on wall and the lady answered and before I could say a word she said, "someone will be with you " and hung up! At this point I was Cold, in pain, felt unsafe from the attitude I got from employee, and somewhat upset!

Well at this point I thought "this is getting totally out of control" so I thought being that me and my wife of 31 years has been shopping your establishment for many years and spend on an average 700 dollars a month, going to the store manager I would get this ordeal settled. So with that I pushed my cart with empty bottles and cans into the store, which again many cans and bottles fell to the floor and me picking them all up, no customers all the cashiers turned and looked at me because the noise, but not one offered me help.

Well I sat there on the bench for a few minutes, got up and spread my arms across cart while pushing it toward the service counter, which is on the opposite side of store. I notice a guy walk by dressed in tie, I asked if he was the manager and he said "Yes, what can I help you with?" I told him "all I did was come here to buy a tomato and a head of lettuce and return these bottles" (from which I bought from your store) and he said "sorry fire Marshall said no carts in bottle room". I replied, "Yeah I know I get that, no carts allowed unless you are cardboard, but I am a heart patient and have had a triple bypass and I got into a situation that your employee offered no help." He looked at his employee and said "Help this guy to his car." I was shocked. I said "Sir I was 20 feet from my car. Why would I push this cart full of bottles twice that distance just to have you treat me like this?"

I asked for his name and he wrote a 2 names on a paper with a phone number and with that the employee (hands still in pocket) walked out the store leaving me behind to push cart with more bottle and cans falling and me bending over to pick up. I get outside and ask if he was going to help me or stand there, he looked at me turned and walked away! My lips went numb, my eyesight blurred, I called 911. Well yeah I ended up taking a ride to Bridgeport hospital by ambulance, and the paramedics were the ones that helped me load my bottles and cans. Yeah I spoke to Fred and Ray from S&S and felt worse.

My supermarket is convenient to my home (6 miles) and that's a plus. However, it's major supermarket chain store that is not all that well stocked at times and does not offer a wide variety of brands or item size (eg, I am a single person household and don't want a large box of cereal nor do I want a 1/2 gallon of milk). The meat selection and butcher area is pretty good; the produce section is pretty good. The store is so cold that frequently I can't wait to get only what I absolutely need and get out as quickly as possible. I am not alone with this 'complaint'. The customer service is quite good thankfully in general. A few workers aren't customer oriented but I supposed not everyone is.

On Tuesday Jan 3, 2017 I went into Stop and Shop #0618 located on 410 Reidville Dr Waterbury, CT to have a prescription filled prescribed by my 18-month-old's pediatrician. My child was 3 weeks into a cold that would not let up with any of the over the counter medications and had formed a ear infection from all the congestion. She was suffering at this point. The pharmacist on duty refused to fill my daughter's prescription based on the fact the medication is not age recommended for her age. He spoke with my child's pediatrician who explained to him that the medication is not a mistake and gave reason as to why he prescribed it. The pharmacist again refused to fill my child's Rx. The pharmacist states to me that he can show me some over the counter substitutions and at that point I was beyond pissed.

It had already been explained to him that the over the counter meds were not helping and she needed a stronger antihistamine in order to get well. Since when does the pharmacist know better than the doctor with the degree? It has been brought to my knowledge that the pharmacist does have the right to refused to fill a prescription but there should be some type of boundaries or guidelines in place otherwise why are hundreds of millions of dollars wasted in doctor visitations every year if the pharmacist feels he knows best. If that's the case I might as well go to the pharmacy when I feel sick and ask him to prescribe something instead. I mean he's going to fill the prescription anyway? After being given all the information he was given the pharmacist have complied and filled my daughter's medication order. He challenged and disrespected a doctor with over 30 years experience.

If Stop and Shop's pharmacist think they know what's best for each and every person that needs a prescription filled, I'd like for them to show me their medical degree that if they actually had wouldn't be wasting their time filling prescriptions. It was cold and pouring rain that day and I had to drive way back across town to another pharmacy to get my child's prescription filled instead of heading home to get to my agonized child in bed and comfortable. This has been the most unpleasant visit to the store ever and I doubt I will continue to buy groceries or use the pharmacy there again.

The store is well stock but it does not have the bargains you would hope for especially in the meat department. Their meat is kind of high to me and the products you do see a deal on you have to spend 25 or more to get it and then it's a limit to how many you can have. I usually go somewhere else for my meat and dairy.

I like the meat dept., they have good prices and also have small packages for 1 or 2 meals. There are things I have gone there for that they don't carry and wish they did. Overall, it's convenient, you can find what you're looking for easier, it's a good store.

The store is big and well stocked. I dislike the store for the following reasons: Checkout lines are always long including the self-checkout. In many store, they will open more lines when it is busy but not Stop and Shop. The store brand product are poor. In fact we stop buying the store brand because of quality.

I like the deals they give you on coupons. I do find their prices higher on some products. I like that the store is kept clean, but there are some times when you have to watch for spoiled vegetables. In general I like shopping at Stop and Shop.

Stop & Shop is not the equal of other stores - it is more expensive, crowded, and the aisles are frequently filled with items to be stocked. The meat is barely average. I don't think they can afford to match some of the lower cost retailers coming in - do they pay more or just want to profit more. I'll take Shaws any day!

This store replaced Waldbaum's. It was the best thing that happened to this neighborhood. It is one of the few supermarkets catering to the new consumer. It carries organic products, both fresh and canned. The organic product prices are affordable.

A customer less than 3 yrs., I am pleased the quality and cost of the products. The atmosphere is pleasant and the workers are generally helpful and friendly. The proximity of the store is a plus. ShopRite used to be my go-to store but now Stop & Shop gets the job done.

I like Stop & Shop, but my only complaint is that when an item is on sale they say in small letters (must buy 10). I don't want 10 because I live alone and don't need 10. The lettering is so small and if you buy 1 or 2 you don't get the sale. Their advertising for sale items can be confusing because they also say certain items. For instance, I bought Cheez-Its and the cashier said it was the wrong one. Not the one that was advertised, even though it was the exact one that was shown in the circular.

This company has many complaints about debit fraud. As someone who had more than $7k stolen at this chain, I do not recommend trusting Stop & Shop with your bank information. In one day, this company allowed: $1002 at Natick, $1002 at Framingham, $827 at Jamaica, $802 Jamaica, $802 Natick, $802 Watertown, $802 Watertown, $802 Framingham, $802 Milford, and $802 Milford. I am amazed that a store allows such large sums to be taken out multiple times without suspicion.

Last week I was shopping in my local store and heard a store message reference to Thanksgiving as "thanksgathering". I believe in God, and take the alteration of the holiday name, as a shift away from the true nature of the holiday. God is to be thanked, as was intended in the holiday creation. Yes, I am offended. Henceforth, I am evaluating my future business at your establishment. Maybe you care, maybe you don't. I do and so I have written to let you know.

Also, in trying to submit this message to Stop & Shop, I could not do so via email. The statement that they want to hear from us is bogus. The internet site would not submit, but instead, ran me to FAQ and other menus. In other words, difficult, and more or less, a put off. When I called the toll free number, I was run through about five menus, before I hit on one that promised a live person to talk to. Finally, I reached a real person who then copied my above statement and said she would relay it to marketing. Maybe, maybe not. Happy Thanksgiving.

I went to your store in chicopee Massachusetts and bought a lot of grocery. I had my bags in the bottom part of the carriage. I also had a bag of sugar and flour from big y in the top of the cart. The cashier said she had to look in my bags under the cart, went out and grabbed my bags and shook them to check if anything was in them. Then she told me she had to see a receipt for the items I bought at big y. I said "what for? They were big y products". She said she was told to do that. I felt she was calling me a thief. Why should I show her anything. People were watching this and I was mad.

I don't have a car so I have to take a bus which means I have to carry all my bags from store to store. This happened on sunday and Monday. I reported it to the store manager who said he was sorry and the cashier was wrong to do that. I told him and I'm telling you I will never shop in your store again and I will tell everyone I know not to shop there. Word of mouth is the best advertising you can have. This is the first time any cashier has ever done this to me and big y just got a regular customer and Stop and Shop just lost one. This cashier should be fired!!!

Was at your store on Newport Ave in North Quincy, Massachusetts on November 14th at around 8:10 am. Was at the service desk and trying to turn in a scratch ticket. There were three employees on the same side of the desk as me. They were talking to the lady behind the desk. All talking about this electronic thing they found on the floor at a great price. This went on for three or four minutes while I am being completely ignored. If the lady did not see me which I think she did. The other three people did, and she should be seeing if she has customers rather than socializing. This was very poor customer service. Plus seeing four employees just chatting away when they should be working. The three saw me walk away and did nothing to stop me. Just kept on talking about their great fine on the floor.

Started feeding kittens Whiskas catmilk for about 3 weeks, the kittens became incoherent. I have video of them and pictures before and after showing how they was eating playing to next day lifeless and just on 10-22-16 realize between me and my mother in law has brought 4-5 packs of this milk and it was way outdated. I have taken them to a close friend who is a animal caretaker who stated they won't make it so put them down. It's just something in my heart knew it wasn't right. How was they eating playing and boom they all was sick right after consuming all this milk. I will like to talk to someone.

I took it into my owns hands and went to Stop and Shop and took pictures of this outdated milk if gave up on them and put them down for nothing all because the developed a infections in the tummies. Instead gave iv liquids and flushed their systems out. Now they bounce back. It hard to believe but I got the video and pics to show. Stop and Shop deer near kill these beautiful kittens. I am glad I listen to my heart now. They need to pay for what they did and I need help. Also they are still selling this milk and I got the proof and I got visa statements and some of the empty cartons and some of the spoiled milk as well.

The stop and shop store located in 107 AVE SW 8th in Miami Fl. I've gone to this store 3 times. There's an employee there by the name of ** that has an extremely bad attitude with the customers. The first time I encountered this person she was complaining about the customers not allowing her to finish a task. This time and it'll probably be my Last time in this store she again was extremely rude, disrespectful, verbally abusive and obvious unprofessional. It's obvious why this store doesn't have the traffic or business it could have. With employees like that working for a business one wonders!

Omg, I go there at nights after work. I purchase my items and I love the products. The only problem I have is that employees are not working but sitting down, making jokes. This is right in front the checkout. I have also seen some that are putting food back in the lane eating or on their phones. It is a negative environment when you see workers wasting company time. I am sorry but it is true. This happens on a daily basis. Yes, I visit the store daily because I work for the city and nights is when I am available! Stop and Shop #2585 Springfield Blvd. and Merrick Blvd.

I frequently shop at Smithfield RI stop and shop. The prices are competitive and help is knowledgeable and friendly. Recently the customer service area was relocated to the center of the store and I too, as a patron, have heard many negative comments from passing customers aimed at the manager, assuming it was his idea. I actually met Steven **, the manager there and have seen how patient, accommodating, compassionate and caring he is when people confront him. I'm sure it was not his idea, Most likely corporate. It is unacceptable why educated people would want to verbally accuse or hurt another individual with negative comments.

I just started a job for Hudson News. My two stores were Shop Rite and Stop and Shop on Route 31 in Hopewell Pennington NJ. The job is replacing old magazines with new ones. On Thursday August 18, 2016 I went into Stop and Shop in the back to introduce myself to the receiver and ask approx. what time the Hudson News deliver arrives. I couldn't believe my ears. The receiver yelled at me saying he couldn't care less when the deliver arrives and that I should get the hell out of his working area and not bother him. He was screaming at me. I went to customer service desk and asked to speak store manager. I explained to the women at the desk the problem and she paged the manager.

However, she told me the receiver is Mr. ** and every employee that works in the store hates him. He yells at everyone. They all complained to the store manager and nothing ever gets done. The manager came up and I told him what happened to me. The manager said he was going back to speak to this Mr. **. After about 1 hour I needed to go back to receiving again to get the new deliver and a cart and Mr. ** yelled like hell at me again. He said "take your damn magazines and go find your own cart and get the hell out of my workstation." Because of the nasty man I decided to quit the job. I don't need to put up with this every week. I wish someone from Stop and Shop Corp office would send an under cover person to go in the back to receiving and see how nasty this Mr. ** is. You will know who he is as you will get yelled and screamed at. Also he wears a terrible hair piece. Please Stop and Shop check out you employees.

Like I said, count your pills. Over the years this has been an ongoing problem in Provincetown. There are many other issues going on this pharmacy but shorting medicine is a crime. I have to count all my medicine as soon as I get home. Then I call when it's short, they keep me on hold until they count all the inventory on that medication. I have to get a ride back to the store, give them my bottle and wait until it is corrected. I do understand human error in the high volume season. Mishandled is problem. I live with chronic pain and I do not complain much, but last time I picked up my medicine I thought it was short. Just one. I didn't bother because I didn't want to go through an all day process to correct it over one pill.

Well, it happened again. Just one short. When I called the Don ** the head pharmacist he told me, it wasn't them and his count was correct. I was wrong. I told, "I have the bottle right here and it is not. I am not fighting over one pill. I don't care about the pill. I am angry because this is a chronic issue with your pharmacy and you have the nerve to try and tell me it's me." I can't even comprehend how this situation was completely mishandled by this man. All of this leaves me with the question, who is skimming pain pills at Stop &Shop Pharmacy and why wouldn't they take that very seriously.

Today, I went to Broad St. Clifton Stop and Shop and had a horrible experience with their Pharmacy Staff. I suffer from yearly allergies, and my doctor recommended I use **. I went to purchase the name brand because I knew I had a $4.00 digital coupon from the store and a $2.00 coupon from **. When I went to purchase it, the $4.00 coupon didn't come off. So I told the original tech that I did not want the item. She did not know how to cancel the order, then she got a tech by the name of Sarah, who thought she was better than everyone. She came over and said, "Did you have her sign already" and when the original tech said yes, Sarah proceeds to tell me, "well you signed already so you have to take the product because it's linked to your driver's license." She did not know how to remove the item from my license, and stood there not knowing what to do about a digital coupon not working on my card.

She treated me like a 2 yr. old and read the coupon terms and conditions and then made me read it. Mind you, I have used the digital coupon more than once before and for the same product last month, so it does not matter that the coupon was used. When I suggested she give me the $4.00 off, since it's linked to my card, she refused to do that saying I can't do that. Wouldn't you want to make the situation better and appease a customer. Additionally, she did all this with a snippy attitude. Now, the product is linked to my license and I don't even have the product. The pharmacist stood there and did nothing. She didn't jump in to see if she could help out she let the tech treat a customer with an attitude. Without the customers, both the tech and pharmacist would be without a job. I guess they don't care about that.

I highly recommend not to use this Stop and Shop pharmacy. I have used this Stop and Shop for almost 15 years since it is down the block from me, and had used the pharmacy once. Now I know why my family and I never used the pharmacy before. Because they are rude, and don't know how to handle simple transactions. Additionally, how can you be the pharmacy tech and not know how to remove a product linked to the customers license. You know how to scan the license and put the product on the license real quick.

This store should teach their techs how to remove products from the license and possibly train their techs with better understanding since their clientele are going to them because they are not well; whether it is a simple allergy like mine, or a much bigger issue pertaining to cancer, heart, lungs, etc. For that matter, maybe the pharmacist should be retrained too, just because she's licensed doesn't mean she's fit for the job. I will also be forwarding a note to the board of pharmacy for the State of NJ, the store manager, and the corporate office.

First off, your pharmacy won't release my prescriptions to Walgreens. Every time I need a refill the poor pharmacist gets less respect than you did. She told me she's had a flood of transfer from that store. I was treated with such ill regard I wasn't surprised that the pharmacist at Walgreens did also. Release my prescription Stop and Shop. My suffering without the medicine is awful. And I hold your pharmacy responsible for me being so ill. Shame on you. I miss Giant in Bethlehem PA on West Union Blvd. 14 years there never a hassle. Train these people to be efficient and above all human. Thank you Walgreens in Wallingford Connecticut for knowing what customer service is.

Stop & Shop Company Profile