1.78/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Stop & Shop

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 15, 2017

182 Stop & Shop Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Every Sunday, (Before I have to work) I shop at the Stop & Shop on Allwood Rd in Clifton. This morning I spoke to Laurie, (Manager) regarding to the time the deli opens, she said, "6 am" then when I stated that every time I go to the store at 6 am I have to wait around at least 20 minutes, then she said, "It opens at 7am." (She is a liar.) The website indicates at 6am the Deli is open! False advertisement at Stop & Shop behalf.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Stop and Shop has a milk program wherein you buy 6 (the big gallon milk) from the name Brands (e.g. Hood, Horizon etc.) and you get the 7th one free. All 6 doesn't need to be bought at the same time and the system supposedly tracks your progress. At least this is the advertisement in the store. This is a scam. The system doesn't track the progress and you really have to go through their solution center to get it resolved. They make you wait and give you a lot of explanation why it is not the case, none of which is true and in the end they know you are right. Sometimes, they agree to give you a free one and sometimes they don't. It is a very very false advertising campaign that needs to be stopped.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

This review is about Store # 2586. 626 Atlantis Avenue. Brooklyn NY 11217. This store Needs a MAKEOVER with employees. Possible start from a Management! One star is FOR self check Service. But someone Needs work it harder and change a sale prices without any skipping. I only go here, because is a closest supermarket near me. Horrible organization, bad service. Zero skills at Customer Service. Well OK, unless you are same skin. VERY visible this employee at THE Customer Service has ** skin serious issue problem. Not enough? Another time same one employee USED A AIR FRESH SPRAY STRAIGHT AT MY FACE WHILE I WAS STANDING. (SHE did not use at ** WOMAN who was front of me.) EMPLOYEE used AIR FRESH SPRAY After a ** Customer walk Away and I was standing (Yes, I AM **). Yes, this is a RACIAL ASSAULT BY EMPLOYEE.

Employees should less talk and more work. TOO MUCH TALK!!! I used a self check cashier to avoid a cashiers who are VERY EXTREMELY SLOOOOW!! They have VERY Long nails, that they are worry Service their nails than a fast/good Service. HOWEVER, someone is responsible for changing sale price at these self check cash registers. Cash register did not reduce a coupon price, then a one product which was on sale, wasn't scan by cash register. Another item that was price $6.34, cash register was scan $13.68. IT should from This price a 50% off. By cash Register price was $26.99.

Employee went to check then he said that I Have wrong item. My Question is that That Customer is check What UPC numbers sticker to the UPC item. THIS IS AN EXAMPLE PRICE OF TO PUT RIGHT PRODUCT IN THE RIGHT SPACE AND CHECK MATCHING STICKER PRICE!!! Employee who was helping me send another employee to check price, without voiding transaction. After about additional 5 min. I decide to pay, because had a frozen food.

Then I had to go HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE TO GET PRICE REDUCTION. Woman who was helping me, she was lying with her entire while looking for item on the receipt. Looks like she has huge problem to stand on her own!! Then SHE gave me refund, but never gave PRODUCT back. A CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THIS STORE IS GOOD FOR HANG UP BUT NOT FOR WORK.

I CALLED A STORE. ASKED FOR STORE MANAGER, Man with "broker" (VERY hard to understand him) English and slow. Brian working introduce himself as WILLIAM. (Store manager?) When I ASKED FOR district store MANAGER he had me wait and never came back. When I somehow was connected back to Customer Service representative (Shatija?) I told HER I was waiting FOR William. Then SHE said, "THERE is nobody with that name." What a joke!

Employees work like they are in prison. Just a Chain they have missing... Today is a third day a week sale and most What I like to buy they did not had. VERY poor quality. Zero skills organization management. Maybe even a MANAGER try do everything but somebody has to make a WORK these employee work. If doesn't work why not fire bad one and HIRE a good one!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I wish the Stop and Shop on the circle in Fairfield CT had a couple of registers where they were for single items. I was in the express lane and only had five products on the belt. I was done ringing and up comes this evil woman who started complaining because I was taking the time to pay with change. She was only behind me about a minute. And she was complaining because to her, I was taking too long for her, paying with change. I was using my change and then I was going to use my last 10 dollars. The total was only twelve dollars. I told her she needed to grow some patience. I really had no money with me and had to pay any way I could. To me, money is money.

The other complaint I have is when one uses the self check outs is no one can seem to wait till you are done with your order. They automatically start ringing even before you are finished bagging your order. What is the rush all about. I always wait for the other person in front of me. I don't like waiting either but everyone has a right to use the station until they are done. What happened to decency and respect, and violating the other person’s space. I wish Stop and Shop would come up with a way to get the other customer off the paying customer’s back till they are done.

The other thing that I don't understand is why are people looking at what you are putting in for a pin number if you are paying with your card. People have actually come up behind me to check out what I am putting in for a pin number. I have been putting my hand over the top so I can't even see what I am punching in. I hope these kinds of issues can get resolved. I have been a Stop and Shop customer for a long time, because I like Stop and Shop. But being a customer there is getting hairy. I hope someone can help with these issues. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

While shopping in Seaford NY store I find it very overcrowded with boxes & food displayed in every aisle. The shopping carts can't even fit in the aisles. A total fire hazard. Also very messy for a new store! I shopped in this store for many years when it was Pathmark & I never saw anything like this! I will now be shopping in Shop Rite even though it's in another town. Many of my neighbors agree with me! Hope you get a better manager for this store or whatever it takes to clean it up!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StopnShop?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Changes in your Middletown, CT, store on East Main Street - First, who decided to put all the salads on the far left of the store necessitating a hike when you first enter. Just what a senior or young mother with kids wants. Second, the managerial person who dreamed up the carousels replacing the regular packing lane has never worked a day as a cashier. Now you can't help the cashier pack even if you wanted -- no room. Three, there should have been a directory paper given out at the door at the grand opening to acclimate customers; people were running up and down the aisles looking for the relocated ketchup, relishes, and pickles. Four, you have less width to your aisles and you evidently don't know the demographics of Middletown -- the Poles, Italians, and Irish there are all interrelated and no one can indulge in any kind of gabfest anymore, which for you the management is excellent, but for the customers a source of annoyance.

You can barely negotiate your wagon through the aisle if there is another wagon coming down the opposite side. I worked at the First National Stores in high school and college as a cashier so I know a little something about the grocery merchandising business. Carousels may be fine for Wal-Mart but why your corporation wants to "ape" their competition is a bad business decision. I will be going to the Madison, Clinton, or Old Saybrook stores. Also, I want to compliment Ethel and the Indian lady who wears the sari in your Middletown store. They are excellent cashiers as is Linda who works in Old Saybrook. Whenever I see those three ladies working, I wait in their lines. They are very friendly, fast, and accommodating.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Stop and Shop Pharmacy at 1 Trowbridge Place, Bourne, MA - Been filling Rx at above pharmacy for quite a long time. The staff at this pharmacy are the kindest and most professional people at any pharmacy that I have visited over the years.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I shop at 375 Centre Street, Abington, MA. While shopping yesterday, I was very shocked to see dozens of pallets of products all over the store, often blocking my ability to shop! Could a better time/day have been chosen to re-stock product due to the fact that the store was almost overflowing with customers? It was the middle of the day on a long-weekend!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Stop & Shop at 150 Whalley Ave, New Haven, CT 06515, "WAS" one of my shopping destination. I had to use their Western Union services. Went there and had all details and documents with me. The staff ** at the counter was polite. She required a second identification, which I provided. Then she told me that she will need my SSN. I explained to her that I don't have one and that it is not a first time for me to receive cash without ssn.

She asked another staff who said that I must provide ssn in order to receive money. He is not talking to me, not looking but saying that this is what it is and that I should go to another place where I got it first time. This staff name is ** and First: he definitely should not be in customer service environment. Second: He should get a proper training/coaching related to customer service. ** was kinda nice, but at the end he got encouraged by **'s negative approach. Because of this happened today, Stop & Shop lost one customer.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

My Stop and Shop has a Peapod delivery store upstairs. They constantly remove products from the store shelves to satisfy Peapod delivery service. They are always out of products I use and constantly change what they carry. Their prices are also not competitive.

Original review: July 30, 2017

The Stop & Shop on Kings Highway Cutoff in Fairfield CT is getting worse by the day! The parking lot always has garbage all over, the shopping carts usually have garbage left in them and they are jammed so tightly together, it is nearly impossible to get one basket out to use. When you walk in the store, there is usually a disgusting, foul sour odor - this has been going on for a long time.

Stop & Shop wants you to use the scanning guns, but there are seldom bags at the pick up area and when you scan your courtesy card and the scanner gun lights up, the guns are often stuck in the spot so you need to try 3+ times to get a scanner you can remove from the display. Also, most of the baskets to not have the scanner holder on them. There is often only 1 check out line with an employee to check you out, so the wait is ridiculously long. If you use the self scanner and are unlucky enough to get audited, forget about any care given to your groceries as the gun will be jammed into your bag with no regard to your grapes and other fruit that you prefer not to be crushed by your jug of milk. Be prepared to wait, wait, wait at the deli counter as the people who work there finish their personal conversations and ignore the customers.

And, my personal favorite which happened tonight -- I self scanned and went to check out and the screen had a notice that the "coupon tray is full" - when I finally got the attention of the "helper" he came over and had to lean down and blow into the coupon discard slot because if a coupon gets stuck, the entire process is halted. Been a customer there for a while, but I have now had enough - worse store, poor management, rude customer service - IF and WHEN you can get their attention... Very sad how downhill this store has gone over the past few years. Head to the Westport store where you get clean baskets, no foul smell & excellent customer service...

Original review: July 22, 2017

I had drop my house key in the shopping cart. The manager of the store Mario ** found the keys. Without him giving it to the service desk, I would never gotten into my house. Calling a locksmith, I can't imagine how much that bill would have been. I just want to thank Mario again finding my keys. He's the best.

Original review: July 19, 2017

The Granby CT Stop & Shop has an extremely rude deli counter guy who looked at me w/o interest and asked me if he could help me in a cold rude tone. I told him I wanted two hot dogs and he said, "OK" and then just handed them to me like he was handing me a turd. To the next person, a guy, he said, "Hi, how are you?" in a friendly warm tone, whereas I was treated with complete disdain. He has been rude to me several times now, maybe I look like the guy's ex-wife? He has a ponytail and large glasses. This man is awful.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Stop & Shop supermarkets frequently posts a sign on the display for Thomas' English Muffins offering "buy one - get one free" or "buy one - get two free". However the fine print on the ads in their circulars shows exclusions, offering the discount on only certain varieties of the product. Many customers don't use ad circulars, they trust the store signs. The sign is a gimmick to entice people into thinking the promotion applies to all Thomas' English muffins, since the sign makes no reference to the excluded products. It is only after the transaction is rung up at the register that the customer realizes that they got charged for the extra product instead of getting the extra one (or ones) free as promised by the display sign. Then one has to go through the inconvenience of standing online at customer service to get the refund on the one or two extra products they were charged for.

Then you have to wait for the person at the desk to thumb through the circular to find the product, and then they go back to the display to look at the sign. This is a major inconvenience to the customer. The idea is that most people won't fight it and end up buying the extra product, which they only bought in the first place because it was promised for free. The sign makes no distinction whatsoever as to which Thomas' English muffins are on sale. It does not show any specifics, it just says "Thomas' English muffins - buy one - get one free" and the yellow sale tags are on every shelf on the end-cap display in front of ALL of the Thomas' English muffins.

Most people either don't check their receipts to see if they got the discount, or if they do, they don't bother to fight it or wait for a refund. Obviously, Stop & Shop anticipates this and generates a huge profit from this tricky advertising scheme. Through this practice, they entice customers into buying 2 or 3 times the amount of product on the appeal of getting something for free.

Original review: June 30, 2017

The Unionville CT store checkout clerks are poorly trained and needs frequent supervisor assistance. My trip to the store took far longer than it should have since the checkout clerk had to keep asking for help. After waiting 15 minutes, and no progress was being made, I had to eventually go to a different checkout line. When I asked the supervisor what the issue was, she admitted that she really had no idea why the checkout clerk was having problems. Bad sign! The checkout lines are now routinely long and slow. This was never an issue in the past at this store.

I went to the store manager, which was an exercise in which he keenly demonstrated terrible customer service skills and zero empathy. I might as well have been talking to the wall. When I asked for his supervisor's number, he clearly wrote down a number that is inactive/out of service. What a surprise. I urge everyone to stay away from the Unionville store until corporate does something to change the management team at this store. I have been shopping at this store since it opened, and the performance and quality of the help is a far cry from what it used to be.

Original review: May 27, 2017

An old bag with greasy stringy gray hair named **, who works at Customer Service at 1790 Post Road East, in Westport humiliated, belittled, demeaned and embarrassed me. I approached her desk for singles on Friday evening, May 19th. She could only spare ten. Fine. Then she asks me if my dog is a service dog. I responded that she is a Support dog. She asked me for documentation and I said to her, it is against ADA laws to ask me for documentation, besides, I am in here every day and no one has ever said anything. She demanded to see my documentation and to avoid a scene, I gave it to her. I told her that I didn't feel comfortable with her knowing my business and knowing my illness.

She took my documentation and was reading my diagnosis. She told me that from now on, every time I came into the store, I would have to come to the Customer Service desk, show my documentation to whoever was there and ask if I could shop. She said that one lady's dog peed on the floor. I said I never saw anyone else in the store with a dog. I also told her that my dog is always in the stroller, never jumps out and never barks. I asked if I had to show the documentation to her every time I came into the store and she said no but I would have to come to customer service every time anyway. I still didn't cause a scene. When I left the store, I walked my dog, and the incident was bothering me and I started to get agitated and angry.

I went back to the store at around 9:30 and I was going to tell that bitch off but she had already left. I asked for the manager. ** came over. I gave her my Stop & Shop card, told her I was never shopping there again. I told her what happened and she was shocked that the old bag, **, didn't call her. ** was apologetic and said she would talk to ** the next day. Not good enough. The next day I went to speak to the GM,**. He said he was dealing with it, and asked me to give them another chance. I said no. I said she shouldn't be working at customer service, she should be in the stock room, or she should be fired. I also said that I wanted a written apology from that miserable witch. He said that wasn't going to happen.

They violated my rights and ADA laws by asking to see my documentation and telling me that I had to check in with Customer Service before I shop. How humiliating. So what the hell is Stop and Shop doing to alleviate my humiliation, my embarrassment? Obviously, nothing. So, I am taking them to court. Stop and Shop, your staff is the worst, your service is the worst, you don't give a ** about your customers. But you will, when I am through with you. It sure will be dealt with. Punitive damages. You shouldn't even get one star.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I appreciate Stop & Shop for its convenience and huge selections. The Customer Service Counter people are usually attentive and friendly as is also, the Deli (especially when they are conscience of not handling the meats with the same bare hands that just swept the floor). That is great. But the cashier situation is hit or miss. That is why I use the "Self-Checkout" whenever possible. It is not because of convenience that I use the "Self Checkout". It is because of the need to avoid interacting with the curt and unhappy cashiers. I am often left feeling traumatized by the experience after going through a 'human being' on the register. But I know it is not a delightful job. I was a cashier at many a store. I felt that making the experience pleasant for the customer made it pleasant for me, as well. But Stop & Shop cashiers are taught that, it seems.

Stop & Stop doesn't seem to have Customer Service training. Do they? It is not apparent if they do by their cashiers. Doesn't seem to be a priority with that company as it is with Market Basket and Roche Brothers. The upside is that people I know, who've worked at the local Stop & Shop, say a lot of nice things about the job. The people who work there are friendly toward each other, mostly, and that is a good thing.

Original review: May 25, 2017

My wife Cathryn left her coupon book filled with coupons, receipts, rainchecks and receipts from the bottle return machines at your Carle Place store. She instantly called back and asked your employee (Owen) to put it aside for her with her name on it. She told him that it was important to her. He said that he would. She called the store a few days later to say she would be coming by to pick it up. The employee that she spoke to said not to come down, that they didn't know where it was. They also said that Owen only comes in on Wednesdays and that she would have to wait until then to find out if it was still there. She asked if anyone could call him to ask him where he put it and was told that no one there had his phone #. So she waited until today (Wednesday) to do her weekly shopping and she arrived at 3:50.

She went straight to the courtesy desk and asked if anyone had the booklet or if they could look for it. She was told that the only place it would be would be in the safe and the employee asked the manager to look for it. He did and then told her that it wasn't there and the only thing that she could do would be to wait until 5:00 when Owen comes in. "It's only an hour," he said. So my wife did her shopping, then waited at the courtesy counter from 4:55 until 5:20... Only to be told by the other employees and the manager that they're sorry and they don't know what else to tell her. So after waiting an additional week for him to come in and wasting all that time waiting in the store with her 90-year-old mother and sister with MS, she left without her coupon booklet. By the way, how is it ok to show up a 1/2 an hr late to work, he was supposed to start work at 5:00 pm (I would check the time clock).

When my wife got home she called the store again to see if he was in yet. The phone rang about 12-15 times, then went back to the recording, then rang another 5-6 times and then was finally answered by Owen. When my wife asked him if he remembered where he had put the booklet he just said that he put it on the side with my name on it. Then he told her that someone probably threw it out because she didn't come back for it soon enough and they can't just leave stuff laying around. Why wasn't it put in the safe? Everyone else that worked there said that that's where it should have been placed.

He just repeated that he didn't know what to tell her, he didn't know what happened to the book and all of her coupons and receipts and that maybe someone threw it out and she should have came back the same day. Well, she couldn't come back the same day bc she was already 6 towns away dropping off her 90 year old mother and taking in her groceries and putting them away and still had to do the same for her sister. My wife took the time to cut every coupon out, plus the time to organize them plus the rain checks plus the time go back there and stand around plus the cost of the book. He showed total disregard for my wife's time after the careless nature with which he (Owen) inconvenienced her.

I want her to be reimbursed for her multiple phone calls, her time and her book, her rain checks, her bottle return cash and her aggravation. An apology to her is also in order. You really should have a policy in place for this type of occurrence and if in fact, it is to put customer's belongings in your safe that that policy clearly was not followed. This arrogant, disrespectful employee is going to cost you approximately 11,000 dollars which is roughly what we spend in your store a year. Also my mother-in-law and sister-in-law have also agreed to no longer shop in your store if nothing is done about this injustice. They spend about the same. Your employee Owen's rude and discourteous manner in which he handled this matter will, in the end, cost your company approximately $90,000 over 3 years. A smart business man would rectify this issue immediately. I await your response. Thank you.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I went to Stop & Shop in Brockton on Belmont St. last night after work to do my weekly shopping. I had a whole cart full of groceries and I went to the register and there was only 1 register opened and a line of about 5 people not including myself and they all had cart full of groceries. I said to a person that I thought was a supervisor "you only have 1 register opened?" and she said, "We have the self checkouts opened too". I left my cart and walked out and said this is not worth it. I went to Shaw's and did my shopping and probably got better prices and was able to checkout right away. I think Stop & Shop doesn't appreciate their customers and it shows. Perhaps they feel they can deal with losing customers, but time will tell.

Original review: April 15, 2017

I went there to see a line & decided to stand waiting, thinking she would probably be moving fast or get help because of the line. She's there moving very fragile as if not happy to keep the line moving, then suddenly she leaves the long line and goes over to a customer that just walked up with a cart full of groceries to transact a return. (????) Now I'm mad because we have been waiting and then she just leaves without ringing for help or anything.

So about 7 minutes goes by, I saw 2 guys standing around with name badges so I went over to them, nicely greeted and said, "Excuse me, could she get some help? She has a long line, and she just left it to help with returns". He said they're just a few people here that can do the Western Union transactions. I said, "So please send someone to help her with returns & bottle return receipts, and let her do the Western Union". He said there's no one available. I thanked him & walked away, and he went back to chatting up about his golf trip with his mistress!?? This has got to be one of the worst places to step into. They're always short staffed & always have an attitude! Stop & Shop in Waterbury, CT on Walcott Street IS THE WORST!

Original review: March 19, 2017

Some of the cashiers have this DISGUSTING and UNHEALTHY HABIT of licking their fingers and salivate on the money and the plastic bags in order to insert the goods. This is the third time I am complaining to a cashier at Stop and Shop at 130 Wheatley Plaza in Greenvale NY. PLEASE TRAIN your employees to use water with a sponge in order to reduce the risk of infections.

Original review: March 6, 2017

I ordered online a 3 ft Boars Head-Italian sub on February 25th, 2017 to be picked up March 1st, 2017 at 5 pm at the Stop and Shop # 2589 located at 92-10 Atlantic Ave., Ozone Park, NY. When my husband and I arrived to pick up our order at the deli counter they looked surprised when I showed them my order form. This made me nervous. The worker attending to us said he will check the inside, but found nothing. I spoke to the deli manager, and he told me that he doesn't know why they didn't receive the order. He graciously offered me a $10 gift card.

I ordered this sub to bring the next day to the hospital in Connecticut for my daughter who is receiving chemotherapy for breast cancer. My family scrambled that night to prepare sandwiches for my daughter as promised. The $10 gift card was not worth the aggravation that happened to us. We hope this would never happen again to other customers. Stop and Shop needs to make an effort to make sure their online orders are completed. My Stop and Shop order confirmation number is **.

Original review: March 3, 2017

While browsing through the salmon I discovered the pictured salmon. I gave 3 of these to the clerk in the department and he told me he would ask his manager what this was. I took a picture of the fourth package which had the least maggots. The others were even more invested. I felt sick all evening and skipped dinner. Clearly there is something wrong with quality assurance at S&S and with the supplier. What will you do about this?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I placed an order on Friday 2/10/17 for pick up on Sunday 2/12/17 at 10:00am (Lake Ronkonkoma NY store). I just had surgery so shopping is hard for me as I have limited use of my arm... I get to the Lake Ronkonkoma store on Sunday in the snow & ice only to be told there is no order under my name. I gave the employee my confirmation #-order # only to be told to call 1-800-5-peadpod... I call and I am told my order was cancelled. No email or phone call to advise me of this, nothing!! I asked why and was told that the "system" found another account under my name so they cancelled my current account along with my order. This is completely unacceptable. You call this customer service? You cancel a customers order without any notification at all?

Needless to say that I had to then waste 2 hours of my time shopping for the food I ORDERED VIA PICKUP SERVICE! I did not receive an apology or anything, I received an "oh well" and a nasty look from the store employee. Then I check my checking account because I used my debit card to pay online and they certainly CHARGED me for the order they cancelled!! I will NEVER use pea pod service again nor will I ever shop at Stop & Shop or recommend your store or pea pod to any of my friends or family. I am so happy that Shoprite is opening up next to your store because that's where I will shop from now on. If they continue to display poor customer service or cancel orders (but charge customers) without notification I can only hope that you'll be out of business soon. Completely angry over how they handled the situation! They did NOTHING to assist.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

Discrimination at Stop & Shop Berlin CT - Yesterday Saturday Feb. 4, 2017. 4 pm. After shopping for groceries. I was targeted. I scanned the groceries for my daughter and then bagged them. While checking out after paying for my daughter's groceries. There was a balance of $1.60 for the bags. I then added my groceries which I did not use the handheld scanner. I scanned then put the items on the belt. The store manager April came over to me and said I was being audited. Ok I said. She then told me to follow her over to another register. April then dumped out all my groceries that I had paid for my daughter. She re-scanned all those items. There was no difference in the price. April treated me with so much disrespect. I was crying because I was being accused of something that I do not do. April should be fired for what she did to me. I will be contacting my attorney.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

On January 14th at approx 6:00 pm I pulled into the handicap space that was approx 20 feet from the store entrance! It was snowing (my wife was ill so I was doing the shopping). As I started towards the entrance I noticed an employee standing against the wall smoking a cigarette, I also noticed that the bottle return room was empty, so I thought I would seize the moment and return the 6 or 7 little plastic grocery bags filled with returnable. I found a cart nearby and proceeded to fill the cart with the plastic bags. Well in my haste, (being cold) I ripped one of the bags and cans and bottles fell to the ground. Well I got down on my hands and knees to pick them up, that was a little more than I wanted to go through.

Anyways here I am a 284 pound old handicap guy on his hands and knees in your parking lot, I look over at the employee (while on my hands and knees in the snow) and think to myself, "Really dude?" I mean he is a mere 20 feet away and watched me go through all that! Well anyways I am now cold, wet and am not feeling all the good but I continue. I push the cart up to the bottle return door and the employee standing against the wall looked at me and said "No carts allowed." I said "Really? Then why is there a cart in there now?" He leaned forward to look and said that was for cardboard. I was a little puzzled, so I said "Stop and Shop values cardboard more than a valued paying customer?" He said "If you don't like then you can go elsewhere!" I was shocked! But I said "Well I am a growing man. I should be able to figure this out."

So with that I left the cart outside the door and grabbed a couple of bags, and of course the bag got snagged by the cart so it ripped open as well and cans and bottles fall to the ground. Well I bend over pick them up and at this point I am in pain and discomfort from the 9 hernias I have from my triple bypass surgery I had in 2009. I walk into the room and put a 2 liter bottle in machine, only one machine worked in the whole room to took plastic. Well wouldn't you know my luck the machine spits out a receipt for 5 cents and says machine full. I tell the employee standing right outside still standing against the wall. His reply was "Yeah I will get right on it" and laughed. I was again shocked. "What the hell" I thought, so I called my wife on the phone and explained to her that our dinner will be late due to what I just went through.

The employee heard me say "I can not believe that employee of Stop and Shop was acting and treating me this way." He overheard me and slammed the machine and said "You wait right here. I will go get the damn manager." I waited for 3 or 5 minutes (maybe longer). Anyways I went back in the bottle return room out of cold. I walk to phone hanging on wall and the lady answered and before I could say a word she said, "someone will be with you " and hung up! At this point I was Cold, in pain, felt unsafe from the attitude I got from employee, and somewhat upset!

Well at this point I thought "this is getting totally out of control" so I thought being that me and my wife of 31 years has been shopping your establishment for many years and spend on an average 700 dollars a month, going to the store manager I would get this ordeal settled. So with that I pushed my cart with empty bottles and cans into the store, which again many cans and bottles fell to the floor and me picking them all up, no customers all the cashiers turned and looked at me because the noise, but not one offered me help.

Well I sat there on the bench for a few minutes, got up and spread my arms across cart while pushing it toward the service counter, which is on the opposite side of store. I notice a guy walk by dressed in tie, I asked if he was the manager and he said "Yes, what can I help you with?" I told him "all I did was come here to buy a tomato and a head of lettuce and return these bottles" (from which I bought from your store) and he said "sorry fire Marshall said no carts in bottle room". I replied, "Yeah I know I get that, no carts allowed unless you are cardboard, but I am a heart patient and have had a triple bypass and I got into a situation that your employee offered no help." He looked at his employee and said "Help this guy to his car." I was shocked. I said "Sir I was 20 feet from my car. Why would I push this cart full of bottles twice that distance just to have you treat me like this?"

I asked for his name and he wrote a 2 names on a paper with a phone number and with that the employee (hands still in pocket) walked out the store leaving me behind to push cart with more bottle and cans falling and me bending over to pick up. I get outside and ask if he was going to help me or stand there, he looked at me turned and walked away! My lips went numb, my eyesight blurred, I called 911. Well yeah I ended up taking a ride to Bridgeport hospital by ambulance, and the paramedics were the ones that helped me load my bottles and cans. Yeah I spoke to Fred and Ray from S&S and felt worse.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

My supermarket is convenient to my home (6 miles) and that's a plus. However, it's major supermarket chain store that is not all that well stocked at times and does not offer a wide variety of brands or item size (eg, I am a single person household and don't want a large box of cereal nor do I want a 1/2 gallon of milk). The meat selection and butcher area is pretty good; the produce section is pretty good. The store is so cold that frequently I can't wait to get only what I absolutely need and get out as quickly as possible. I am not alone with this 'complaint'. The customer service is quite good thankfully in general. A few workers aren't customer oriented but I supposed not everyone is.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

On Tuesday Jan 3, 2017 I went into Stop and Shop #0618 located on 410 Reidville Dr Waterbury, CT to have a prescription filled prescribed by my 18-month-old's pediatrician. My child was 3 weeks into a cold that would not let up with any of the over the counter medications and had formed a ear infection from all the congestion. She was suffering at this point. The pharmacist on duty refused to fill my daughter's prescription based on the fact the medication is not age recommended for her age. He spoke with my child's pediatrician who explained to him that the medication is not a mistake and gave reason as to why he prescribed it. The pharmacist again refused to fill my child's Rx. The pharmacist states to me that he can show me some over the counter substitutions and at that point I was beyond pissed.

It had already been explained to him that the over the counter meds were not helping and she needed a stronger antihistamine in order to get well. Since when does the pharmacist know better than the doctor with the degree? It has been brought to my knowledge that the pharmacist does have the right to refused to fill a prescription but there should be some type of boundaries or guidelines in place otherwise why are hundreds of millions of dollars wasted in doctor visitations every year if the pharmacist feels he knows best. If that's the case I might as well go to the pharmacy when I feel sick and ask him to prescribe something instead. I mean he's going to fill the prescription anyway? After being given all the information he was given the pharmacist have complied and filled my daughter's medication order. He challenged and disrespected a doctor with over 30 years experience.

If Stop and Shop's pharmacist think they know what's best for each and every person that needs a prescription filled, I'd like for them to show me their medical degree that if they actually had wouldn't be wasting their time filling prescriptions. It was cold and pouring rain that day and I had to drive way back across town to another pharmacy to get my child's prescription filled instead of heading home to get to my agonized child in bed and comfortable. This has been the most unpleasant visit to the store ever and I doubt I will continue to buy groceries or use the pharmacy there again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

The store is well stock but it does not have the bargains you would hope for especially in the meat department. Their meat is kind of high to me and the products you do see a deal on you have to spend 25 or more to get it and then it's a limit to how many you can have. I usually go somewhere else for my meat and dairy.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I like the meat dept., they have good prices and also have small packages for 1 or 2 meals. There are things I have gone there for that they don't carry and wish they did. Overall, it's convenient, you can find what you're looking for easier, it's a good store.

Stop & Shop Company Information