2.15/5
Based on 42 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

212 Stop & Shop Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 6, 2018

I am a paid caregiver which includes grocery shopping. The store on Hooper Ave in Toms River, NJ either fired cashiers or reallocated and revised their tasks so that there is currently only 2 at most available for long lengthy lines. And on occasion a 3rd line for fewer than 12 items. They recently spent lots of money on approximately 10 self serve checkouts. So I have to scan, watch my purse and clients money, bag which is much more difficult than at a cashier's scanning belt. No room for the task, then have to wait for a mgr for help due to scan errors or bagging errors. What a mess. I never want to go back. They make enough money without stealing my services paid for by my Sr client for free!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have been shopping at Stop & Shop stores in RI (Bristol, Newport and Middletown) for over twenty years. In the past few years I've noticed that these stores don't keep their shelves stocked adequately for me as a customer. Each time I go there now, I'm unable to find three or more items that I desire in stock. This forces me to then go to Shaw's Supermarket, which always seem to have what I need. They are higher than Stop & Shop, but they at least keep the shelves stocked properly. I don't know if you can remedy this situation, but I've been thinking for the past two years that I should send a review. There's no need to reply back to me; I just wanted to let my feelings be known.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 16, 2018

I am writing this review because this is the second time I have received meats and cheeses with the plastic on each and every piece. I would imagine there is a bonus for the employees but do they deserve a bonus? They don't give a crap about the customers. In fact they act like it's killing them to even be there!!! I will not shop there ever again, this is the Stop & Shop on Cottage Street in Pawtucket RI 02860.

Also when I called and spoke to Brenda who introduced herself as a manager I could immediately understand why they just don't care and leave the package wrapper on while slicing the foods because she was rude, immature and really didn't impress me. It's too bad. Even contacting corporate nothing still has changed. What a pity. All of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Never mind all the bonuses. Greed is one of the problems. I would love to see someone in corporate eat some plastic with their cheese!!! Put a bonus on that!!! Good luck because I won't stop until something is done about this matter. Unfortunately it will go left without anyone stepping up to the plate!!

Original review: June 3, 2018

Stop & Shop has the freshest selection of top quality meats. I have never been disappointed when shopping there. I also found that some of the prices at Stop & Shop are less expensive than Walmart.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I went to the Stop and Shop on Belmont St in Brockton, MA store #415 on Friday to send money through Western Union and there was a handwritten sign saying, "Customer Service closed for 1 hour and Western Union is down." I did my shopping and I heard a cashier say to the supervisor (Allison) that a customer asked when did the 1 hour start and when will it be done. The supervisor said, "I'm right here. What do they want?" The customer went to the service desk and got a money order. I then went to the service desk and asked the supervisor why it seems like every Friday for the last 3 weeks is Western Union down? She said there is nobody to run it since she can't do everything. This seems like a situation customers should not have to deal with from a company as large as Stop and Shop.

Today I went to this same store and I noticed when I went in the light on self service was blinking but the other 3 self services were running. I did my shopping and about 10 or 15 minutes later I went to the self check out and the light was still blinking. I ran all my purchases through and I had something that needed assistance to purchase and the light started blinking saying help is on the way.

After a couple of minutes with no help in sight I went to the desk and picked up the phone and started pressing numbers trying to get someone's attention and a person picked up and I said I need assistance at self check out and he said he would send someone over. After a couple of minutes another customer at the self check out said this happens all the time and I said, "I know. That's why I usually go to Shaw's where they don't even have self checkouts since they appreciate their customers." I ended up leaving everything on the self checkout and walked out.

I don't understand why this store seems to not really care about its customers. I don't know if it's because it's in a minority neighborhood or if it's just a matter of lack of training of the management, but I really do wish they would fix this problem since I have lived here for many years and the problem does not seem to be getting any better. I feel that I would be better off just going to Shaw's right next door where there is so much better service. The only reason why I go here is for the gas points and I know where everything is in the store since I have been going here so long, but it is getting to the point that I need to make a change since Stop and Shop doesn't seem to want to make a change and make customers feel important.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StopnShop?

Original review: May 14, 2018

I went to Stop & Shop located on Atlantic Center in Brooklyn New York to purchase lunch May 14, 2018. When I arrive at the hot food department I placed an order of fried fish. The Stop & Shop lady worker was very rude to me and others customers. Please assist in this matter. Also my coworkers at HRA City Agency experience the rudeness.

Original review: April 25, 2018 Middletown Stop & Shop: When checking out made a human honest mistake and missed 4 cans of food on bottom of carriage. Being HONEST, walked back in and confessed my mistake and stated I needed to pay for the items. The store contacted the police, stating they had no choice! That's absolutely UNAMERICAN and CONDUCIVE to a THIRD WORLD DICTATORSHIP. This store needs better staff and managers who VALUE HONESTY and VALUE HONEST customers!

This store will never be trusted again. Why am I reporting this? Because if this is their mentality, I would NEVER suggest anyone working for or supporting ANY company who treats their customers so poorly. One can imagine how they treat their employees behind closed doors!

Original review: April 4, 2018

For the past 9 months or so I finally realized that I was being overcharged at the deli counter. Believe me, I wish I had checked my receipts years ago! I use the kiosk and 9 times out of ten, part of my order is being overcharged. I found out that that there was a "free" policy for overcharged items. After many overcharges I finally took advantage of this policy. After about the 8th time I was told that I could not do this anymore and my response was, so I have to pay whatever Stop and Shop wants to charge me? I said that I should be charged for what I ordered, not for what they wanted to charge!

I eventually found out that this is a State law and they were legally obligated to reimburse me for the order. She only gave me the difference this time, which I believe is a violation of the law. I am wondering if she took it upon herself to say that or if it was a direct order from Stop and Shop. Another issue to be looked at. I am not so worried about my purchases, because now I know I have to be aware, but just think about the amount of money they are stealing and money THEY are making from people that do not check. I think this is criminal and someone needs to police them! Just like Stew Leonard's got caught weighting their scales, Stop and Shop needs to be held accountable!!!

Original review: March 6, 2018

This complaint is not about store employees, but regarding one of the managers. Today as I was walking in the shop, I was approached by one of the managers, whose name is Rick **. He asked me what I was doing, to which I answered that I was just walking around. He then told me I was "freaking out everyone in here walking around like this". He sounded reproachful and intimidating, with a certain degree of condescension which I did not appreciate. Finally, I had to show him my walking app, and explained to him that I was merely walking around exercising, just so he could leave me be without kicking me out. As we were walking away from one another, he issued no apology.

I am a Swampscott resident who shops here regularly. I also try to maintain 10000 walking-steps a day to stay healthy, which is by no man's standard a capital crime. However, today I felt like I just committed something horrible to be treated this way. My crime was walking around in Stop & Shop, I am not kidding, walking around in a supermarket is a crime! I filed a complaint to the CS center, two other store managers handled the situation by attempting to justify Rick's wrongdoing. They said I was "walking around not buying anything, so people expressed concern about me." I found this justification to be ludicrous, why would people express concerns about me for walking around? Isn't that what everyone is doing in Stop & Shop? Or must I be harassed each time upon entering the store without making any purchases?

Original review: March 1, 2018

When I want something above and beyond meat and potatoes - this is the store. I can get a bottle of wine, flowers, greeting card. If they would improve their customer service, polite greeting; "Can I help you?" -- it would go a long way.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I come to this location every week since the other Stop and Shop on Dixwell closes... and it’s always a problem, I go to the Deli and it’s always the same employees that they make smart comments, whisper and talk about me and my family. I come here to buy a big amount of cold cut because that’s what my kids like but it seems to always be an issue because I ask for it to be cut a certain way. I’m sick and tired of this unprofessional employees but I will keep coming back because that’s what my kids eat. I tried other places but the taste of the product is not the same... What happened with the employees wanting to please the customers? I thought that’s what people get paid to do.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Purchased a item that was "On-Sale" - on 2/01/18 - the "SELL BY" date was 1/01/18 - I did not look at the date until I returned home - I THOUGHT THEY SOLD "IN DATE" food! Waldbaums (the company they took over) was just as bad - I had hoped I would NOT have to EXAMINE every item I purchased with the new operation! - I WAS WRONG!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

On January 14, 2018 I was driving out of the parking lot of the Stop & Shop at 465 Atlantic Ave, Oceanside, NY, when I had my car crashed into by a stack of shopping carts that were being pushed by a Stop & Shop employee. There was minor damage. The stack had so many carts the employee, by his own admission, could not stop the momentum of the stack when he saw my car pass in front of him. I asked him to get a manager. He returned with an assistant manager who brought the produce manager with her. She handed a notebook and pen to the produce manager and instructed her to take my info. The produce manager asked "what kind of info" and was instructed to take my license plate, type of car from the registration sticker along with my name and phone number. The assistant manager then left the scene.

After taking my name and number the produce manager was saying something like "Ok we are done here, someone will get in touch you." I replied that I was not leaving till I had more info about how this was to be settled and that we agreed on the facts. I was instructed to park and go to the office. Inside the office was the store night manager, the assistant manager and the notes from produce manager. The store manager called a number to phone in a report and it turned out he incorrectly called asset management and was told he should be calling risk management.

When he did reach them he had to repeatedly ask me the questions they were asking him. Questions like, what color is the car, was it the passenger side, was I the driver etc. All questions I believe should have been asked and recorded at the scene, which, by the way, was right behind the manager's office. After the phone call I had to ask for contact information and case #. Finally I was told that this will be handled very quickly and I shouldn't be surprised if I received a phone call that very evening. It's 4 days later, I haven't heard a thing, and I am in limbo about what is going. I am not upset about my property being damaged but I am furious of the way this was handled by the manager & asst manager. I will not shop at that store.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have been shopping at Stop & shop for 49 years -- 45 on Quincy and 4 in Rockland, MA. It seems no matter what weekday I shop there are only 2 registers open plus 1 express reg. I always have a large order and go to one of the two registers that are open. Usually there is a line of 3 to 5 people in front of me with large orders. But the thing that bothers me the most is 90% of the time I have to bag my order myself. The cashier(s) always thank me and the other customers for bagging our orders and then apologize to us for having to. Understand that if the cashier is ringing a large order it won't all fit at the end of the counter unless the customer starts bagging them.

It amazes me that a large 100 year old company such as yours can't or won't hire enough employees to bag groceries for their deserving customers and yet Trucchi's, a much smaller market, always has 5 or 6 registers open and a bagger at each one. Apparently they care more about their customers than Stop & Shop does. As a result, after shopping 49 yrs. at your stores I may have to shop at Trucchi's in order to get the service I deserve. Please take note of my problem as I am sure other customers have the same problem, let us know you care.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I was in line with my wife and my daughters and the cashier was very rude and the price is so high I ask her why is too much. She said, "I get you someone." I told her, "I don’t need someone. I'ma ask you." She call someone and she tell him I told her why is too much and I tell him I ask her. She said, "I call someone." He looks to register and he said, "Oh she did something to time" and I told him, "This is the way you tried your customer". He said, "Do you want the stuff?" and both not even apologize and I left everything and go.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Stop & Shop - Tarrytown, NY - Every time I go through the produce department, mainly where the cold produce is kept, the prepackaged fruits and vegetables are NEVER fresh. It’s disgusting, and ridiculous. And don’t be surprised if you purchase something that’s expired. I always have to remember to check dates on all food items. Something needs to be done.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I was treated with disgusting racist comments from a fairy like customer who if he didn't have a child with him I would've taught him manners in the parking lot. He was insulting my disability, my heritage saying "I'm a wasp. I hope we're not being invaded" meaning Italian American. So the staff laughed. Night supervisor said I wasn't welcome there. I got it on video. I will never after a life long shopper wouldn't buy a thing from there if I was starving. Shameful. So Italians need to know you're not welcome if you're disabled.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Every time I go there it's worse. First they add self check outs that always requires someone to help anyway. Now they are eliminating the baggers by shortening the counter and having the cashier bag and that slows everything down. I don't food shop at WalMart because that's how they do it and it is slooow. Need to find a store that cares about my time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I like Stop & Shop in North Providence but I shop a lot there and we all ride bikes including my friends but they're losing customers because there's no light outside where we lock our bikes at. It is very unsafe at night. I talked to several managers. They are very respectful but no nobody seems to have the answers. I've been complaining about this for about a month now. PS they used to be light. I don't know why it's taking so long. And have no answers. I can be very understanding as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

First the good things. The store is clean and the employees friendly. But the selection of food products seems to shrink on a weekly basis. One week you're picking up your favorite item and the next week they stop carrying it. The quality of the precooked foods is very spotty from day-to-day (so I assume there is little consistency in the training of the staff). The meat selection is good for the most part but often the steaks will be wedge cut instead of a good straight cut and if the meat dept staff or off for the day there is seldom "any in the back". But the store is clean.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I don't find a variety of fresh green vegetables in the produce section and it is also difficult to discern the price of some of the vegetables. However I do find that to be true only at one of the stores.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Store is well stocked and clean. They have good product selection and the produce department has consistently fresh fruits and veggies. Usually has good prices and also good coupon policies to help the consumer stretch their dollar further.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Stop & Shop is close to home and near the bus route. They have most of what I want and it's on sale and cheap. They have friendly people and good customer service and they help local charities and community.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Great Value, common, nearby location, good store hours. Most of the time, fresh produce, bakery goods, big selection of products found in the stores.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I find their meat products are on the high end? The coupons and ads are always right on. Love the gas points program. The front end cashiers need to be a little more professional, talk less to each other and focus on the customer.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Advertisement states buy L.L. Bean or Domino gift cards and get 10x gas points. I have been to 3 different stores about 10x each during the promo. I called corporate on 10/20. Theresa assured me someone would get back to me on 10/26. Ben reassured me he would send notice to Theresa and she would get back to me as of today 10/31 no one has gotten back to me. I called today 10/31. Tawanda told me she would escalate to someone. Somehow I was connected to BJ from corporate??? Very snippy. I hope you listen to this call. I would NEVER hire him for my business. I asked about the customer being right...

I guess Stop and Shop doesn’t care about its customers. I also said the advertising is very misleading. I mentioned I will be shopping at another store (Walmart, Shaw's any other competitor). I can’t understand how they can advertise gas points for certain cards and NOT have them in any stores... I would fire whoever was in charge of that... (I don’t have a receipt number or a picture since they didn’t have any of the gift cards I wanted.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

It's ok. Sometimes not well stocked. Meat is average not great. Deli counter is mismanaged no real help. Parking is terrible. It's somewhat clean.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The Winchester store is the best stop & shop in the ten mile area of Arlington, Winchester, Medford, and Woburn; better than all of the others. My only complaint is where they store the electric carts for seniors - they are hard to get to.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Expensive! It is good for people with large families to take advantage of sales. Family packages. Frozen vegetables very high and to purchase their specials you have to purchase $25.00 additional.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Competitive clean stores, good specials and smart on their part to link savings to gas discounts. Selection nothing unusual. Convenient locations. Wish had electronic coupons.

Stop & Shop Company Information