2.23/5
Based on 43 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 25, 2018

206 Stop & Shop Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2018 Middletown Stop & Shop: When checking out made a human honest mistake and missed 4 cans of food on bottom of carriage. Being HONEST, walked back in and confessed my mistake and stated I needed to pay for the items. The store contacted the police, stating they had no choice! That's absolutely UNAMERICAN and CONDUCIVE to a THIRD WORLD DICTATORSHIP. This store needs better staff and managers who VALUE HONESTY and VALUE HONEST customers!

This store will never be trusted again. Why am I reporting this? Because if this is their mentality, I would NEVER suggest anyone working for or supporting ANY company who treats their customers so poorly. One can imagine how they treat their employees behind closed doors!

Original review: April 4, 2018

For the past 9 months or so I finally realized that I was being overcharged at the deli counter. Believe me, I wish I had checked my receipts years ago! I use the kiosk and 9 times out of ten, part of my order is being overcharged. I found out that that there was a "free" policy for overcharged items. After many overcharges I finally took advantage of this policy. After about the 8th time I was told that I could not do this anymore and my response was, so I have to pay whatever Stop and Shop wants to charge me? I said that I should be charged for what I ordered, not for what they wanted to charge!

I eventually found out that this is a State law and they were legally obligated to reimburse me for the order. She only gave me the difference this time, which I believe is a violation of the law. I am wondering if she took it upon herself to say that or if it was a direct order from Stop and Shop. Another issue to be looked at. I am not so worried about my purchases, because now I know I have to be aware, but just think about the amount of money they are stealing and money THEY are making from people that do not check. I think this is criminal and someone needs to police them! Just like Stew Leonard's got caught weighting their scales, Stop and Shop needs to be held accountable!!!

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2018

This complaint is not about store employees, but regarding one of the managers. Today as I was walking in the shop, I was approached by one of the managers, whose name is Rick **. He asked me what I was doing, to which I answered that I was just walking around. He then told me I was "freaking out everyone in here walking around like this". He sounded reproachful and intimidating, with a certain degree of condescension which I did not appreciate. Finally, I had to show him my walking app, and explained to him that I was merely walking around exercising, just so he could leave me be without kicking me out. As we were walking away from one another, he issued no apology.

I am a Swampscott resident who shops here regularly. I also try to maintain 10000 walking-steps a day to stay healthy, which is by no man's standard a capital crime. However, today I felt like I just committed something horrible to be treated this way. My crime was walking around in Stop & Shop, I am not kidding, walking around in a supermarket is a crime! I filed a complaint to the CS center, two other store managers handled the situation by attempting to justify Rick's wrongdoing. They said I was "walking around not buying anything, so people expressed concern about me." I found this justification to be ludicrous, why would people express concerns about me for walking around? Isn't that what everyone is doing in Stop & Shop? Or must I be harassed each time upon entering the store without making any purchases?

Original review: March 1, 2018

When I want something above and beyond meat and potatoes - this is the store. I can get a bottle of wine, flowers, greeting card. If they would improve their customer service, polite greeting; "Can I help you?" -- it would go a long way.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I come to this location every week since the other Stop and Shop on Dixwell closes... and it’s always a problem, I go to the Deli and it’s always the same employees that they make smart comments, whisper and talk about me and my family. I come here to buy a big amount of cold cut because that’s what my kids like but it seems to always be an issue because I ask for it to be cut a certain way. I’m sick and tired of this unprofessional employees but I will keep coming back because that’s what my kids eat. I tried other places but the taste of the product is not the same... What happened with the employees wanting to please the customers? I thought that’s what people get paid to do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StopnShop?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Purchased a item that was "On-Sale" - on 2/01/18 - the "SELL BY" date was 1/01/18 - I did not look at the date until I returned home - I THOUGHT THEY SOLD "IN DATE" food! Waldbaums (the company they took over) was just as bad - I had hoped I would NOT have to EXAMINE every item I purchased with the new operation! - I WAS WRONG!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

On January 14, 2018 I was driving out of the parking lot of the Stop & Shop at 465 Atlantic Ave, Oceanside, NY, when I had my car crashed into by a stack of shopping carts that were being pushed by a Stop & Shop employee. There was minor damage. The stack had so many carts the employee, by his own admission, could not stop the momentum of the stack when he saw my car pass in front of him. I asked him to get a manager. He returned with an assistant manager who brought the produce manager with her. She handed a notebook and pen to the produce manager and instructed her to take my info. The produce manager asked "what kind of info" and was instructed to take my license plate, type of car from the registration sticker along with my name and phone number. The assistant manager then left the scene.

After taking my name and number the produce manager was saying something like "Ok we are done here, someone will get in touch you." I replied that I was not leaving till I had more info about how this was to be settled and that we agreed on the facts. I was instructed to park and go to the office. Inside the office was the store night manager, the assistant manager and the notes from produce manager. The store manager called a number to phone in a report and it turned out he incorrectly called asset management and was told he should be calling risk management.

When he did reach them he had to repeatedly ask me the questions they were asking him. Questions like, what color is the car, was it the passenger side, was I the driver etc. All questions I believe should have been asked and recorded at the scene, which, by the way, was right behind the manager's office. After the phone call I had to ask for contact information and case #. Finally I was told that this will be handled very quickly and I shouldn't be surprised if I received a phone call that very evening. It's 4 days later, I haven't heard a thing, and I am in limbo about what is going. I am not upset about my property being damaged but I am furious of the way this was handled by the manager & asst manager. I will not shop at that store.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have been shopping at Stop & shop for 49 years -- 45 on Quincy and 4 in Rockland, MA. It seems no matter what weekday I shop there are only 2 registers open plus 1 express reg. I always have a large order and go to one of the two registers that are open. Usually there is a line of 3 to 5 people in front of me with large orders. But the thing that bothers me the most is 90% of the time I have to bag my order myself. The cashier(s) always thank me and the other customers for bagging our orders and then apologize to us for having to. Understand that if the cashier is ringing a large order it won't all fit at the end of the counter unless the customer starts bagging them.

It amazes me that a large 100 year old company such as yours can't or won't hire enough employees to bag groceries for their deserving customers and yet Trucchi's, a much smaller market, always has 5 or 6 registers open and a bagger at each one. Apparently they care more about their customers than Stop & Shop does. As a result, after shopping 49 yrs. at your stores I may have to shop at Trucchi's in order to get the service I deserve. Please take note of my problem as I am sure other customers have the same problem, let us know you care.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I was in line with my wife and my daughters and the cashier was very rude and the price is so high I ask her why is too much. She said, "I get you someone." I told her, "I don’t need someone. I'ma ask you." She call someone and she tell him I told her why is too much and I tell him I ask her. She said, "I call someone." He looks to register and he said, "Oh she did something to time" and I told him, "This is the way you tried your customer". He said, "Do you want the stuff?" and both not even apologize and I left everything and go.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Stop & Shop - Tarrytown, NY - Every time I go through the produce department, mainly where the cold produce is kept, the prepackaged fruits and vegetables are NEVER fresh. It’s disgusting, and ridiculous. And don’t be surprised if you purchase something that’s expired. I always have to remember to check dates on all food items. Something needs to be done.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I was treated with disgusting racist comments from a fairy like customer who if he didn't have a child with him I would've taught him manners in the parking lot. He was insulting my disability, my heritage saying "I'm a wasp. I hope we're not being invaded" meaning Italian American. So the staff laughed. Night supervisor said I wasn't welcome there. I got it on video. I will never after a life long shopper wouldn't buy a thing from there if I was starving. Shameful. So Italians need to know you're not welcome if you're disabled.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Every time I go there it's worse. First they add self check outs that always requires someone to help anyway. Now they are eliminating the baggers by shortening the counter and having the cashier bag and that slows everything down. I don't food shop at WalMart because that's how they do it and it is slooow. Need to find a store that cares about my time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I like Stop & Shop in North Providence but I shop a lot there and we all ride bikes including my friends but they're losing customers because there's no light outside where we lock our bikes at. It is very unsafe at night. I talked to several managers. They are very respectful but no nobody seems to have the answers. I've been complaining about this for about a month now. PS they used to be light. I don't know why it's taking so long. And have no answers. I can be very understanding as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

First the good things. The store is clean and the employees friendly. But the selection of food products seems to shrink on a weekly basis. One week you're picking up your favorite item and the next week they stop carrying it. The quality of the precooked foods is very spotty from day-to-day (so I assume there is little consistency in the training of the staff). The meat selection is good for the most part but often the steaks will be wedge cut instead of a good straight cut and if the meat dept staff or off for the day there is seldom "any in the back". But the store is clean.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I don't find a variety of fresh green vegetables in the produce section and it is also difficult to discern the price of some of the vegetables. However I do find that to be true only at one of the stores.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Store is well stocked and clean. They have good product selection and the produce department has consistently fresh fruits and veggies. Usually has good prices and also good coupon policies to help the consumer stretch their dollar further.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Stop & Shop is close to home and near the bus route. They have most of what I want and it's on sale and cheap. They have friendly people and good customer service and they help local charities and community.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Great Value, common, nearby location, good store hours. Most of the time, fresh produce, bakery goods, big selection of products found in the stores.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I find their meat products are on the high end? The coupons and ads are always right on. Love the gas points program. The front end cashiers need to be a little more professional, talk less to each other and focus on the customer.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Advertisement states buy L.L. Bean or Domino gift cards and get 10x gas points. I have been to 3 different stores about 10x each during the promo. I called corporate on 10/20. Theresa assured me someone would get back to me on 10/26. Ben reassured me he would send notice to Theresa and she would get back to me as of today 10/31 no one has gotten back to me. I called today 10/31. Tawanda told me she would escalate to someone. Somehow I was connected to BJ from corporate??? Very snippy. I hope you listen to this call. I would NEVER hire him for my business. I asked about the customer being right...

I guess Stop and Shop doesn’t care about its customers. I also said the advertising is very misleading. I mentioned I will be shopping at another store (Walmart, Shaw's any other competitor). I can’t understand how they can advertise gas points for certain cards and NOT have them in any stores... I would fire whoever was in charge of that... (I don’t have a receipt number or a picture since they didn’t have any of the gift cards I wanted.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

It's ok. Sometimes not well stocked. Meat is average not great. Deli counter is mismanaged no real help. Parking is terrible. It's somewhat clean.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The Winchester store is the best stop & shop in the ten mile area of Arlington, Winchester, Medford, and Woburn; better than all of the others. My only complaint is where they store the electric carts for seniors - they are hard to get to.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Expensive! It is good for people with large families to take advantage of sales. Family packages. Frozen vegetables very high and to purchase their specials you have to purchase $25.00 additional.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Competitive clean stores, good specials and smart on their part to link savings to gas discounts. Selection nothing unusual. Convenient locations. Wish had electronic coupons.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Every Sunday, (Before I have to work) I shop at the Stop & Shop on Allwood Rd in Clifton. This morning I spoke to Laurie, (Manager) regarding to the time the deli opens, she said, "6 am" then when I stated that every time I go to the store at 6 am I have to wait around at least 20 minutes, then she said, "It opens at 7am." (She is a liar.) The website indicates at 6am the Deli is open! False advertisement at Stop & Shop behalf.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Stop and Shop has a milk program wherein you buy 6 (the big gallon milk) from the name Brands (e.g. Hood, Horizon etc.) and you get the 7th one free. All 6 doesn't need to be bought at the same time and the system supposedly tracks your progress. At least this is the advertisement in the store. This is a scam. The system doesn't track the progress and you really have to go through their solution center to get it resolved. They make you wait and give you a lot of explanation why it is not the case, none of which is true and in the end they know you are right. Sometimes, they agree to give you a free one and sometimes they don't. It is a very very false advertising campaign that needs to be stopped.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

This review is about Store # 2586. 626 Atlantis Avenue. Brooklyn NY 11217. This store Needs a MAKEOVER with employees. Possible start from a Management! One star is FOR self check Service. But someone Needs work it harder and change a sale prices without any skipping. I only go here, because is a closest supermarket near me. Horrible organization, bad service. Zero skills at Customer Service. Well OK, unless you are same skin. VERY visible this employee at THE Customer Service has ** skin serious issue problem. Not enough? Another time same one employee USED A AIR FRESH SPRAY STRAIGHT AT MY FACE WHILE I WAS STANDING. (SHE did not use at ** WOMAN who was front of me.) EMPLOYEE used AIR FRESH SPRAY After a ** Customer walk Away and I was standing (Yes, I AM **). Yes, this is a RACIAL ASSAULT BY EMPLOYEE.

Employees should less talk and more work. TOO MUCH TALK!!! I used a self check cashier to avoid a cashiers who are VERY EXTREMELY SLOOOOW!! They have VERY Long nails, that they are worry Service their nails than a fast/good Service. HOWEVER, someone is responsible for changing sale price at these self check cash registers. Cash register did not reduce a coupon price, then a one product which was on sale, wasn't scan by cash register. Another item that was price $6.34, cash register was scan $13.68. IT should from This price a 50% off. By cash Register price was $26.99.

Employee went to check then he said that I Have wrong item. My Question is that That Customer is check What UPC numbers sticker to the UPC item. THIS IS AN EXAMPLE PRICE OF TO PUT RIGHT PRODUCT IN THE RIGHT SPACE AND CHECK MATCHING STICKER PRICE!!! Employee who was helping me send another employee to check price, without voiding transaction. After about additional 5 min. I decide to pay, because had a frozen food.

Then I had to go HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE TO GET PRICE REDUCTION. Woman who was helping me, she was lying with her entire while looking for item on the receipt. Looks like she has huge problem to stand on her own!! Then SHE gave me refund, but never gave PRODUCT back. A CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THIS STORE IS GOOD FOR HANG UP BUT NOT FOR WORK.

I CALLED A STORE. ASKED FOR STORE MANAGER, Man with "broker" (VERY hard to understand him) English and slow. Brian working introduce himself as WILLIAM. (Store manager?) When I ASKED FOR district store MANAGER he had me wait and never came back. When I somehow was connected back to Customer Service representative (Shatija?) I told HER I was waiting FOR William. Then SHE said, "THERE is nobody with that name." What a joke!

Employees work like they are in prison. Just a Chain they have missing... Today is a third day a week sale and most What I like to buy they did not had. VERY poor quality. Zero skills organization management. Maybe even a MANAGER try do everything but somebody has to make a WORK these employee work. If doesn't work why not fire bad one and HIRE a good one!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I wish the Stop and Shop on the circle in Fairfield CT had a couple of registers where they were for single items. I was in the express lane and only had five products on the belt. I was done ringing and up comes this evil woman who started complaining because I was taking the time to pay with change. She was only behind me about a minute. And she was complaining because to her, I was taking too long for her, paying with change. I was using my change and then I was going to use my last 10 dollars. The total was only twelve dollars. I told her she needed to grow some patience. I really had no money with me and had to pay any way I could. To me, money is money.

The other complaint I have is when one uses the self check outs is no one can seem to wait till you are done with your order. They automatically start ringing even before you are finished bagging your order. What is the rush all about. I always wait for the other person in front of me. I don't like waiting either but everyone has a right to use the station until they are done. What happened to decency and respect, and violating the other person’s space. I wish Stop and Shop would come up with a way to get the other customer off the paying customer’s back till they are done.

The other thing that I don't understand is why are people looking at what you are putting in for a pin number if you are paying with your card. People have actually come up behind me to check out what I am putting in for a pin number. I have been putting my hand over the top so I can't even see what I am punching in. I hope these kinds of issues can get resolved. I have been a Stop and Shop customer for a long time, because I like Stop and Shop. But being a customer there is getting hairy. I hope someone can help with these issues. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

While shopping in Seaford NY store I find it very overcrowded with boxes & food displayed in every aisle. The shopping carts can't even fit in the aisles. A total fire hazard. Also very messy for a new store! I shopped in this store for many years when it was Pathmark & I never saw anything like this! I will now be shopping in Shop Rite even though it's in another town. Many of my neighbors agree with me! Hope you get a better manager for this store or whatever it takes to clean it up!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Changes in your Middletown, CT, store on East Main Street - First, who decided to put all the salads on the far left of the store necessitating a hike when you first enter. Just what a senior or young mother with kids wants. Second, the managerial person who dreamed up the carousels replacing the regular packing lane has never worked a day as a cashier. Now you can't help the cashier pack even if you wanted -- no room. Three, there should have been a directory paper given out at the door at the grand opening to acclimate customers; people were running up and down the aisles looking for the relocated ketchup, relishes, and pickles. Four, you have less width to your aisles and you evidently don't know the demographics of Middletown -- the Poles, Italians, and Irish there are all interrelated and no one can indulge in any kind of gabfest anymore, which for you the management is excellent, but for the customers a source of annoyance.

You can barely negotiate your wagon through the aisle if there is another wagon coming down the opposite side. I worked at the First National Stores in high school and college as a cashier so I know a little something about the grocery merchandising business. Carousels may be fine for Wal-Mart but why your corporation wants to "ape" their competition is a bad business decision. I will be going to the Madison, Clinton, or Old Saybrook stores. Also, I want to compliment Ethel and the Indian lady who wears the sari in your Middletown store. They are excellent cashiers as is Linda who works in Old Saybrook. Whenever I see those three ladies working, I wait in their lines. They are very friendly, fast, and accommodating.

Stop & Shop Company Information