3.58/5

Shoprite

Have a problem? The ShopRite Customer Care team is available at 1-800 SHOPRITE 8a-6p Monday through Friday and 9a-5p Saturday and Sunday.

ShopRite is the registered trademark of Wakefern Food Corp., a retailer-owned cooperative, based in Keasbey, N.J. and the largest supermarket cooperative in the United States. With nearly 250 ShopRite supermarkets located throughout New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware and Maryland, ShopRite serves more than five million customers each week.

A long-time supporter of key community efforts, ShopRite is dedicated to fighting hunger in the communities it serves. Through its ShopRite Partners In Caring program, ShopRite has donated $29 million to 1,700 worthy charities and food banks since the program began in 1999. As a title sponsor of the LPGA’s ShopRite Classic, ShopRite has raised more than $24 million for local schools, hospitals and community groups.

For more information, please visit www.ShopRite.com.

View More View More

268 Shoprite Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 7, 2019

ShopRite West Babylon. 3/27/19 6:49 p.m. receipt. I went to ShopRite of West Babylon on the evening of March 27, 2019, a place where I often shopped, to pick up a few things. I went to the egg department to get eggs. I opened up a carton, checked the eggs by sight, saw 1 egg I didn’t like the looks off and so I switched it with another egg from another carton. I then moved away from the eggs to look at the orange juice section, where there was a male employee unpacking items near there. He asked me what was wrong with the egg. (His tone from the beginning, was NOT friendly, in my opinion.) I didn’t realize he was watching me get eggs, but I was not trying to hide anything; this is how I’ve always checked my eggs.

My response was “I didn’t like the way it looked!” As I started walking away, he said to me next time don’t switch them, just take another carton! (Again, I didn’t like his tone.) I asked him what the difference was and his response was that people don’t like other people touching their eggs (shells). Once he explained it to me, even though I felt he was unnecessarily reprimanding me over replacing 1 egg, I understood his point, I am an adult, so my response was simply “OK”.

After CLEARLY saying “OK”, I walked away to head towards the registers. (The registers, naturally, are all the way in front of the store and the eggs are all the way towards the back of the store, in the last aisle.) I’m at the register, pay for my food and then start heading towards the door. I noticed that there are TWO guys FOLLOWING ME, after I left the register, to go towards the exit and was in disbelief when I realized that one of them is the guy that was just talking to me about the egg in the last aisle and as I continue walking towards the door, the second guy he was with, who was following me too said “Excuse me”, to STOP ME from walking out the door!!!!

So not only did the boy in the dairy department follow me all the way from the eggs area to the registers, BUT ON TOP OF THAT, he told another employee, who ALSO CHOSE TO MAKE THE DECISION to follow me towards the door, so TOGETHER they BOTH were following me after I left the register towards the door, which at this point, is absolutely ridiculous, unnecessary harassment of a customer. I asked the second guy a rhetorical question, WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO SAY?!?! I told him that I already told the employee OK! At that point, it was so ridiculous, I asked to speak to a manager! I was not even apologized to (yes, I was upset, for good reason! ), was just told that the employee made a “mistake”, was told that he didn’t realize that’s what customers do (check eggs).

I was then told by the manager to just pay for my food and I let him know that I already paid! (I paid at a register, but went to customer service to wait for the manager.) I don’t think it was clear to the manager that I was already walking towards the exit after paying and leaving the register, where the two employees chose to follow me, to talk to me AGAIN, over an egg!

I need to make it very CLEAR, this was NOT just a “mistake” by an employee. This was a very unnecessary, ridiculous harassment of a customer, where not just one employee chose to stop me from heading towards the door, after I already paid, but this was now two employees, where the second employee was told that I switched an egg and they both decided it was necessary (really crazy!) to follow me all the way up to the registers from the egg department, after paying and stop me from walking out the door in order to confront me (again!) about an egg!

They were 1000% following (stopping) me from heading out the door, ONLY because of the egg; when the manager asked the second employee about being called up to customer service, the SECOND male proceeded to tell him that I switched an egg. This was the reason not one “mistaken” employee, but two(!!) shoprite employees chose to follow me all the way to the front of the store from the egg department, after I already said OK, after he told me (in a not nice tone) not to do it again, after I already paid for my food, to stop me from leaving the store in order to confront me again!

This is the way a customer who does not pay for food, should be followed and stopped from leaving the store, not a customer who touched an egg! I was in disbelief and shock when I realized that they were following me towards the exit from the registers! These employees went too far, especially that my last response to the first employee was “ok” and then I walked away! This was not a “mistake” of one employee, this was bullying of a customer, by two employees and I hope my writing about this absolutely ridiculous situation never happens to another Shoprite customer by their employees, ever again!

Original review: April 6, 2019

I went into Shoprite to purchase a rotisserie chicken. While I was there I noticed the manager's specials and found vegetables to go with the chicken. They had two left, these containers of seasoned vegetables. I thought "Great! I have dinner now." Oh boy, do I regret purchasing these vegetables! I brought them home and ate them with my chicken. I had also bought other prepared chicken in which tasted somewhat normal, but salty. However, the "seasoned vegetables," were so salty that I could barely eat them. I did eat enough of them, and afterwards I thought to myself, they didn't even taste like they were salted with iodized sodium. That would be way too much salt for what I tasted, and that would be gross tasting.

The next morning I gave them another try. I washed a small portion with what I had left, with boiling hot water. I cooked them in an omelette and melted cheese on it. After eating it, I thought it would be fine because I didn't taste what I had tasted before, since I washed the vegetables. Not long after, I began to feel extreme tiredness and what felt like elevated blood pressure and warmness to my face. I then realized that this was something different. I believe that what I had been eating tasted more like Monosodium Glutamate also known as MSG and then I thought to myself, well that's not good! I never would have thought in a grocery story store that they would be selling food like this.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Shoprite has recently changed! They offer lots of free items and inexpensive coupon items that boldly and with large letters indicate the low prices and the free items. What they HIDE in very small print is that all those offers are subject to a great deal of other purchases in the store. This is a change. Shoprite was much more transparent in the past few years. It looks like they are trying to make the unsuspecting customers pay for the recent renovations to the store.

The customers in Setauket are primarily elderly and cannot read the small prints. Others are very young students at Stony Brook University who pay little attention to the coupons and the small print demands. They ALL end up paying more to Shoprite than they need to. This particular Shoprite is notorious in overpricing even compared to their own store on Nesconset Highway, a few miles away. They need to move in the direction of honesty and transparency. I hope that the Consumer Affairs will bother to investigate them.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I questioned the sale mark "Local sale 2 dollars off" to a store staff discount on who told me I will get 2 dollars off at check out. After check out, I noticed I didn't get discount on these items. I went to customer service and had to show the staff where were the sale signs, and the answer was I got the wrong information from the Shoprite employee. I requested to talk to the manager since I felt this is not fair for a customer to spend 20 minutes to look for some products based on the wrong sale information received from their employee. I was so disappointed that the manager was not nice, simply just said sorry, we will do more teaching to our staff then turned away. How about the customer? I spent more than 30 minutes here for nothing? Just a sorry? Don't you need to make adjustment for the wrong sale sign and the incorrect information from your staff to me? What a bad experience I had at Shoprite in Somerville, NJ today!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I went to the Hillsborough NJ Shoprite only to be followed, targeted, and yelled out over 2 coupons I gave the cashier. The front end girl literally followed me to the line, the cashier then must have hit the button to call or or she came over to watch my transaction. The cashier asked if I had any coupons I said yes, I gave her 2, she is looking and looking at them like they are in a different language.

The nasty front end girl told me I can only use 1 coupon, I said why? It says I can use 2 of the same coupons per day. She begun to tell me that I was doing coupon fraud and that my coupons were fake!!! I showed her other coupons that even say limit 4 of the same coupon per day but she still was calling me a fraud. I said to her can I split up the order? She said no. Who the heck does she think she is telling me I can’t use 2, 1 dollar coupons? you are going to fight with a customer over a dollar difference? Meanwhile she was overriding other customers coupons but giving me a hard time over the 2 coupons I gave her. I felt I was mistaken for another customer maybe? I shouldn’t have to feel this way when I shop at the Shoprite in Hillsborough.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shoprite?

Original review: March 20, 2019

Called customer service to inquire what the upper case letter B and F mean next to all the item prices on my receipt... I purchased some items for work and some for home and was trying to determine which items were taxed in order to be correctly reimbursed. There no longer is a Tax denotation next to each item only a Tax dollar$ total at the end of receipt. After 20 minutes on hold I called customer service from my other phone and was told "I can't get the information you need" because "We have customers standing in line!" I replied "I am a customer too!" She didn't get it.

Customer service training would have at least picked up the phone to take my number to call me back or apologize for the wait would I mind continuing to hold. And what is customer service dept doing NOT providing assistance and ringing up customers instead? They have cashiers! What's the point of a customer service desk? Granted I called at a busy time but MY job required I get the information. Oh Shoprite of Lawrenceville NJ... This could have so gone another way...

Original review: March 11, 2019

The app never ever works. I completed a $600 order only to get where I select pick up time and I get an “oh snap something went wrong” message and my entire cart was gone ~ this happened TWICE!!! Today I go pick up my online order ($500) and I had a promo code which never got emailed to me, only to be told they can’t enter it from their end (which has been done before) and I would have had to do it when I put my order in!!! WTF!!! Terrible customer service.

Original review: March 2, 2019

On February 28th at about 7 pm. My boyfriend and I stopped in for a gift card for his grandmother and a couple other things. He asked the girl at the customer service desk if we could pay there since she was doing nothing anyways and we wanted some lottery tickets and the lines were crazy per usual, her reply was “I guess.”

Then she started slamming our stuff down on the counter and continued to be rude. I asked her if I could put a store card in and she said it was too late so I got no sales on what I bought. She then threw a brown paper bag on the counter and we weren’t sure what it was so I asked what’s that and she replied “it’s your ** gift card.” We ended up not getting any lottery tickets. We just wanted to get out of there. I have been a manager at a grocery store for years and would never speak to anyone the way she spoke to us. I have never been treated so terribly or cursed at by someone I was buying something from. She should not be working in customer service. I will be calling corporate as well. Never shopping there again. Also spreading the word around to everyone I know.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Website never works right and digital coupons never download. Shoprite's website is a joke. It is slow, it freezes, can't download coupons. The last time I couldn't even get through their online circular, let alone make a list. I doubt if I'll be able to place an online delivery order for my 93 year old mother next week. I have had so many problems. I am now going to have to travel for 2 hours and shop for her in person. It is bad enough they are cheating me out of my coupons but now I have to worry about my mother not having what she needs as well. Good job Shoprite. For me, I am shopping elsewhere for my groceries, I am sick and tired of their website. It gets worse and worse.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I went to buy cupcakes for Valentine's Day for the family. I reached in and picked up a package of 12 that said "Club Size Savings - no membership fee required to get these extra savings on family sized packages". They were priced at $7.49 per dozen. After looking further in the case I saw packages of the same cupcakes packaged 6 per package also decorated for Valentine's Day. These were priced at $2.99 per package so I purchased 2 packages of 6 cupcakes for $5.98 and saved $1.51 on the purchase.

I pointed out to the bakery supervisor of the apparent error of charging more for a larger package that is marked big on the outside "CLUB SIZE SAVINGS" when in fact they were using it as a tool to dupe the consumer. Her response was that they knew it cost more. That is their practice and it is corporate policy. It is a disgrace that a company such as Wakefern dba ShopRite engages in such a practice. Be wary of ShopRite Club Size Savings.

Shoprite Company Information