3.35/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Shoprite

Have a problem? The ShopRite Customer Care team is available at 1-800 SHOPRITE 8a-6p Monday through Friday and 9a-5p Saturday and Sunday.

ShopRite is the registered trademark of Wakefern Food Corp., a retailer-owned cooperative, based in Keasbey, N.J. and the largest supermarket cooperative in the United States. With nearly 250 ShopRite supermarkets located throughout New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware and Maryland, ShopRite serves more than five million customers each week.

A long-time supporter of key community efforts, ShopRite is dedicated to fighting hunger in the communities it serves. Through its ShopRite Partners In Caring program, ShopRite has donated $29 million to 1,700 worthy charities and food banks since the program began in 1999. As a title sponsor of the LPGA’s ShopRite Classic, ShopRite has raised more than $24 million for local schools, hospitals and community groups.

For more information, please visit www.ShopRite.com.

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

210 Shoprite Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Seniors Unite. So you spend what little money you have with Shoprite all year and when it comes time for Thanksgiving or Christmas, they insult seniors by charging the absolute highest price on turkeys anywhere so they can reward the larger families by giving away a Free Turkey if they spend $400 in less than a month. Most seniors can't spend that much so basically they take our money all year and then when the holidays come they say to hell with you. On the other hand Stop & Shop is charging only 39 cents a pound for turkey so they are accommodating seniors. We all should boycott Shoprite and spend our money with Stop & Shop because I have been in contact with the corporate office at Shoprite and basically, they just don't care. The only thing they will listen to is our buying power as a group.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

When I shop here I always have the overall sensation that it's dirty. I don't think the employees are well supervised (especially the cashiers). Once I bought ground beef and it had blue styrofoam ground up with it due to lack of supervision. Once the entire store smelled of urine. I hate shopping here.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Shoprite is a very large store and has great product selections. Produce, meat, seafood and deli counters are spacious with fresh quality product. The staff is amazing when assistance is required. Plenty of parking and opens early, closing late.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Shoprite always has fresh meats and the best variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Their shelves are always well stocked especially the sale items that are in the weekly circular. Thank You for being in our neighborhood.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

It's a good store with good sales. Very good giving rain checks. Some of the stuff is pricey. If I can I wait for it to go on sale. The store is clean and the checkout people are very nice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shoprite?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

My local Shoprite is very clean and is easy to find what I need although it takes a little longer for them to stock newly introduced products. I love the coupons in the local Shoprite's weekly circular.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Shoprite in Aberdeen, NJ is so clean, the prices are great. Love this store. The workers are always willing to help. Everything is fresh and wonderful.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Great quality of all available items. Lower prices. Helpful employees. Great advertised sales and incentives. Cleanliness is awesome. Very pleased with parking as well for handicapped persons.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Weekly specials, digital coupons, and overall low prices help make grocery shopping affordable. Sale items are in stock and available. Quality of produce, meats, and dairy are good with good quality.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I prefer to shop at Shoprite because the food that I purchase is always fresh. I had two recent experiences where I was on my way home and I needed to pick up a few items and I stopped at the closest market to pick up some chicken. First was the store was Key Food. As soon as I got home and opened the package of chicken I could tell something was wrong. That went in the garbage. Couple weeks later I went to Food Town. I cooked the chicken I purchased and after the third bite threw up everything. Shoprite the food is fresh. Generally the employees are helpful and if they are out of a sale item they gladly issue rain checks. To top it off the items are competitively priced.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Shoprite of Rochelle Park, NJ has very good prices, and large staff that is always around to answer questions. Rarely is it necessary to go to the courtesy desk to find an answer.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Best selection and prices. When I need to restock my pantry I will go here and fill two shopping carts for about $100. And I am supplied for at least a month. This includes food items plus paper, cleaning, and general household items.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Zallie's Shoprite in West Deptford, NJ has a great bakery, great specials, and very good check-out time. The single draw back is the poorly laid-out parking lot, and people parking illegally in handicap spaces.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I went to the customer care to get Shoprite rewards card and they took all my info and told me the card will be mailed to me while usually they just hand it out. I never got the card. Then today I again went to customer care and treated the same way. I asked the person to just give me a new card, and he refused to do so. Not sure what is wrong, they are refusing to give me a reward card and finding out excuses. Absolutely ridiculous... refusal to give out a reward card... I go to Shoprite at Glen Mills, PA.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Whenever I go to Shop Rite the store is always clean and organized. If I have questions the sales clerks are extremely helpful. At checkout the cashiers are more than friendly and take great care of my purchases meaning they are not just thrown around. I find the cashiers to always be friendly & polite as with all the employees.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Store is not as clean as it should be. Lines in the deli are always too long. Not enough help to serve customers. The ready to eat foods from the bistro used to be much better. Price went up and quality went down. The lines for the checkout are always too long. Not enough help. You shouldn't have to wait in line longer than it takes you to shop.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I'm handicapped and use the electric carts provided by Shoprite. The problem is that it's very hard move between restocking and displays in middle of aisles. The store is open 24/7 so why don't they restock overnight when there's little traffic.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have been going to Shop Rite for decades and take advantage of their sales & digital coupons. Their website weekly flyer is easy to navigate and to put together my weekly shopping list. Good food at fair prices is why I keep going.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Excellent store overall. However, they should carry more varieties of brands: soup, chips, frozen foods. The personnel is nice and conscientious. They go out the way to help you in any way they can.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The store is located at 4th and Adam's in Wilmington, Delaware. It's owned by ShopRite. The customer service is the problem. The cashiers never seem to understand how to talk to customers with respect. I happen to be talking to a school mate when the cashier's response to us was very alarming. And I asked her if she talked to all her customers like that (it was a 15 items only line). Her response was she would talk to anyone like that. I said well guess I needed to speak to her manager, and her response was she didn't give a damn and tell him. Which I did.

The food is outdated. Numerous times I have purchased meats, outdated. And because of me not having transportation, sometimes I'm stuck with the product. The cost of getting on the bus to return it cost too much to take back. Also I also believe that since security isn't doing their job, things are stolen to the tune of 40 inch TV's, they jack the prices up to cover what was lost. Lot of problems with this Ghetto Mart.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Shop-rite is a great supermarket with a lot of locations close to me. Their prices are very competitive and the food is fresh. The items on sale are usually available, if not rain checks are readily available.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Well I never been upset with this store. They have very nice produce. All the bread and cakes are always fresh. Nice flowers are fresh. Never had any problem with their fresh meats. They a friend store.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I love the smaller size shopping carts at Shoprite but they need more because unless you get there early in the morning, which luckily is my preferred shopping time, you might not be able to get a small cart because they're all taken. Small carts completely change the shopping experience because they're so much easier to navigate. I need Shoprite to get my romaine lettuce and a lot of my produce. Their lettuce and beets are usually pretty fresh, as are their tomatoes and potatoes. I appreciate how they have Honey Crisp apples so I don't have to make another stop somewhere else to get them, even though so many of the apples are bruised or have brown spots. But I'll take as long as I need to find the good ones and I do find them. What is absolutely lovely about Shop Rite is they have some organic produce that's sometimes the same price as regular produce which is unheard of to me.

The radishes are usually plump, fresh, and organic. They have the best bagels in town, baked fresh daily. They're the big old-fashioned sized bagels and so soft in every kind - poppy seed, sesame seed, everything bagels, pumpernickel, egg, onion and plain. I like that their bags are a heavy duty plastic, not the cheap thin plastic other stores have that you have to double-bag. I don't want to double-bag, that's more work. The only thing I can't stand about Shoprite is how they sometimes display rotten onions for sale. And I've seen a guy just empty a new box of onions and when I sifted through them, they were already starting to turn rotten. And it's very rare you can find a fresh garlic bulb in there. I also wish they would serve real smoked white fish. All they have is white fish salad which looks like it has way too much mayonnaise in it. So I don't buy it there.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I've been a customer of Shoprite since they moved back to the Albany NY area 5 years ago. They have competition - Price Chopper, Walmart, Hannaford, BJ's Warehouse Club. They have good quality produce and meats, but are moderately high on most prices. By using their Price Plus Club (PPC) card and noting when items are on sale in the weekly sales circulars, you can save money. In addition, selected items when on sale can have an extra discount if you set up an online account and 'check' that item on their website so the digital coupon discount is 'loaded' when you purchase the item.

For the 10/1/17 to 10/7/17 sales circular, Dunkin' Donuts Coffee Creamers were on sale for 2/$5 for PPC card holders, or 1 offer of 2/$4 with the digital coupon. On 10/1/17 I immediately 'clipped' online that digital coupon for the coffee creamers. On 10/3/17 my wife visited our local Colonie, NY store to buy weekly groceries. She could not buy the Dunkin' Donuts creamers because they were totally out of stock on the shelves. On Saturday, 10/7/17, the last day of the sale, I visited the Colonie store, and, again, they were totally out of stock on the creamers. I went to the Service Desk and asked for a rain check for 2 creamers at the digital coupon price.

I was told by the clerk that corporate policy was that I could only get a rain check for the PPC sale price of 2/$5, not the digital coupon price of 2/$4! It did not matter that they apparently did not have sufficient stock of the sale item. The digital coupon could only be used up to the last day of the sale, not after. I could not determine if the Shoprite store in Albany had the items, since I phoned them but was put on hold 3 times for a total of 30 minutes! It was another example of poor customer service.

I am upset not because of the $1 difference, but because this is a corporate policy that reeks of the old sales gimmick of deliberately having a low inventory of a sale item just to get the customer in the door. When I returned to the store today and asked a department manager why not enough inventory was carried, he said it was because it was a 'perishable' item. But these Dunkin' Donut creamers have expiration dates currently 4 months in the future! By the way, they still did not have the Dunkin' Donuts flavor I wanted, which they always previously had in stock.

About 10 years ago I stopped shopping at Walmarts for over a year and a half because of an unreasonably restrictive 'competitor price matching' policy they had at the time where the exact variety of the item you wanted had to be pictured in the competitor's ad, even if the sale said it was for all varieties of the product. I refuse to be treated unfairly then, and I still feel the same today. So, I told the Shoprite department manager this afternoon that I would not shop there again. He said, "Fine, do so!" How can you successfully run a business like that?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I used the ShopRite (Aberdeen, NJ) from home for the very first time because my parents are very ill and I wanted to send groceries to their home because it's very hard for them to get out. The order was supposed to come between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. At around 3:15 I called the store because the order had not arrived. I was told they were running late and would be there within an hour. I explained that the ordered needed to be canceled because we needed to leave the house. And earlier that day someone had called my mom and told her that there were 9 items in the order that were sold out. So it just did not make any sense to receive this order. I also did not appreciate the fact that they did not call and tell us they were running late.

Later that day I checked my bank account and found that they had charged my account for the order. I called the store and spoke with a manager by the name of Bob ** who told me there was nothing he could do for me. And that it would be 2 to 3 business days before I would see the funds returned to my bank account.

When I told him I was very unhappy with how he was handling the situation his response was "what do you want me to do about it?" I said it would be nice if there were a way for him to void the transaction or something so I could have my money back. I didn't even receive anything. It wasn't like I was returning something. Nothing was received. It was cancelled. It should have been voided.

Mister **'s response to that was "Yeah that's not going to happen. Why don't you call our corporate headquarters and see if they can help you with something tomorrow." So I guess that's what I'll have to do. Now my parents do not have their groceries and I do not have the funds to go somewhere else to purchase them. This is been a totally horrendous experience. From the lack of consideration to the terrible attitude by the employees.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

At 9910 Frankford Ave store Phila, Pa. Been shopping here for years. No problems doing nothing. Strange but this security guy meets at the check out all the time. God only know what it does with store camera system. This well 20 times. Has to make clear that he works too much. Strange irony going on.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I just had one of the most disgusting things happen to me while I was eating a bakery item that I just purchased at your store on Rt. 37 in Toms River NJ. I was having BBQ ribs with one of the corn bread muffins that I bought today. After about my 3rd bite of the muffin I went back to eating the ribs. Then I reached for a muffin and to my horror there was a bug on the inside of the muffin where I had taken a bite. Needless to say that turned my stomach and my meal was over as I was ready to throw up. Also, I was at the same store last week and when I went to get grapes that were on sale, the entire batch of grapes that was out on the floor for people to buy, was crawling with fruit flies. This store is disgusting and the manager should be fired.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I use Shoprite online delivery services. They are excellent. After your order is processed (you can add changes up to 24 hours before) your "personal" shopper calls you early the same day in case you have any concerns. They also send out a questionnaire quarterly where you can complain if you need to (which is rare).

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I order online a lot from the Hackensack, NJ Shoprite. They are constantly out of certain items, like frozen spinach and chocolate ice cream. The last time I ordered for delivery, I bought several packs of ground turkey. I noticed the meat was not fresh when I was cooking it. I had 3 unopened packs, which they picked up and will credit me for them. I am upset because I have some in my freezer that I can't return because I opened them already. Also, I found out later that my pistachio nuts were not fresh. I called customer service and the guy I spoke to was not caring and acted like I was lying.

Original review: July 27, 2017

While shopping at Shoprite in Hamden today I came across a very helpful man. I would just like to let the right people know that Leroy was great. People usually complain most of the time so I just wanted someone to know about this. Also I find that all the workers there are very nice, thanks.

Shoprite Company Information