2. Shopping
  3. Grocery Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.35/5

Safeway Reviews

Original review: July 25, 2016

I'm always reluctant to shop at safeway in Middletown, MD. Because I've been burned so often there with rancid food. My most recent visit to the Safeway was July 21st. The only reason I didn't buy anything on this particular visit is because I was unable to. There were no baskets to put groceries into. There were only 4 lanes open at 6PM - 2 express, and all of them were backed halfway up the aisles.

I told the manager and he said he was on the way to help (checkout) and there was no one else. It's 6PM on a Thursday right? I had a very few items but I gave them up and left them with the manager and left. Now I should also mention that I may have tried to purchase more if the milk wasn't past its sell date by a day that I wanted (marked 50% off with no other options) and the chicken wasn't piled in its usual jenga stack from people picking thru the packages to get at some that didn't smell rotted.

I'm talkin' a full 50 or 60 packages in a heap well above the refrigeration line just stinkin up the place. The pork chops were the same story... the packaging stinks like soured pork. It's almost as if they package the meats on some table that's covered with pork or chicken juice that spoils on the package and they don't clean up. This has been this way since I moved to the area back in March 2016. If you opt for the deli case in hopes it'll save you... no way. The chicken displayed on ice at times is dried out and brown like 1000 smokers stood around it with a blow dryer for 2 hours. As I said, I'm reluctant to go to this store but probably like many I know it's the only store in that area and I'm stuck until the day when CVS or the local drug stores start selling meats.

Original review: July 21, 2016

I'm up vacationing from another state I walked into Safeway pharmacy and ask the pharmacist if she has the specific manufacturer for the medication I was taking. She went and looked and said yes she does and has the quantity - following day I brought in my prescription knowing that I was giving them four days before it was to be filled to get eyes dotted and T's crossed for an out-of-state prescription. I came in to pick up my prescription on the day of got out to the car, opened it up to find it wasn't the correct manufacturer that I was going there for in the first place. Once you leave the store there's no way to return medications.

I called the pharmacist who stated she had made a mistake. It was for a different type of medication. She had plenty of that manufacture - the thing that gets me is she had the prescription hard copy in her hand and was looking at it and knew me and knew what manufacturer I wanted but blatantly filled it anyway with a different manufacturer to get the sale that puts me taking a medication for 30 days that does not work nowhere near as good as the manufacturer I requested. Thank you Safeway. I will remember you for the next 30 days.

Original review: July 19, 2016

I went to Salt Lake Safeway (HONOLULU) which I normally like the customer service there. I sat in my car looking at the Safeway app and adding discounts to my card... and found some "free offers". So I thought, ok, I will go look for it but if I can't find it no biggie. I just thought it might give me a chance to try stuff I probably would never buy.

Me: "Excuse me, where can I find these offers" (show Safeway girl associate #1 my phone). Safeway girl: "How did you get anything free? Why is it free?" (With an unenthused look and tone). Me: "I don't know. I just looked at the app and added it to my card?" Safeway girl: "I don't know how to help you with that, so you can either talk to this guy or my manager ringing on register 3"... and walks away.

Me: "Excuse me, where can I get these free items?" Safeway guy associate: "Can I see your phone. Ok let me go look". He can't find it so he goes to manager. Manager tells him just to substitute it for something similar. Me to cashier girl: "Hi, they told me I can substitute these for the free items on my phone." As I look up to the guy who helped me for support so he nods. Cashier to me: "How much is it because if it's too much of a difference then cannot."

Me: "I don't know. They just told to pick from certain products." (looking at the guy) Who then tell her "the manager said to just substitute it". Cashier girl rolls her eyes and says something about a coupon. Moral of the story peeps: Check your Safeway app under just for u section and under "special events"/"free offers". But beware, you might be treated like a criminal even though you still spent $52 and you walk out with some free pasta, health bar, and a coupon for hot pockets.

Original review: July 10, 2016

I went to safeway July 7, 2016 between 8:00-8:30 in the morning. This cashier till is the only one open that time. When this cashier asked me to insert my debit, I noticed the machine says "remove card" so I removed and put in again, I got the same message. So I told to this rude cashier that I am getting the same message "remove card". She asked me 3x, "what does it say". I got irritated because I am in a hurry. So I told her "how many times you need to ask me?" And she says "I don't see what the machine says, it's not in front me". The more I got pissed, so I said to her, "it's early in the morning and you're ruining my day already". She said "how about if I say that you are ruining my day". She came out from her post and tried to take my card on my hand but then I said "forget it". I asked for her name, she said a name that is very unusual and at the same time she was covering her name tag.

I totally forgot that name. Next time I go there I will get her name and come back here. She has a short hair, wearing an eyeglasses. Kind of blond hair but not really blond. She's the only cashier that's open that time. She's very rude. I heard that these people working in Safeway are under a Union. That could be the reason why they don't care if they treat customers nicely or not. They are protected. I hope safeway could give proper training to these kind of customer service employees and address cashiers about their attitude towards customers.

Original review: July 9, 2016

I went to Kaneohe Safeway to get a poke bowl on July 6 and 7. The lady who made my poke bowl gave me about 7 pieces of poke. I didn't notice how little bit there was until I got home. I couldn't believe I paid 8 dollars for a bowl of rice pretty much. I thought maybe I'll try again. The next day I went and again I got that same short lady to make me a poke bowl. And again she gave me a small layer of poke on my rice. But what made me so much more angry is that this time, I ordered fresh spicy ahi. When I got home to eat it, OMG! You wouldn't believe what they used for fresh ahi. It was either marlin, or albacore tuna. It was white under all that spicy sauce. I couldn't believe it. They ripped me off! Ahi is red and more expensive than those other fish. So they sold me and everyone else who bought that spicy ahi on July 7, 2016, either marlin or albacore, for 17.99 which should have only been 11.99 or less. Super shady.

Then when I wanted to complain and I asked a worker who the manager of the seafood was, they pointed to that same short lady. I was so mad. She was the last person I wanted to talk to. What kind of manager uses cheap fish and tries to run it off as ahi? That's so dishonest. They are ripping off customers. What do they think, customers are stupid? The boss of that store needs to find someone to manage their departments better. They will lose so much service from this. And another thing, that same lady has an attitude problem. She answers your questions harshly and I saw her treating this guy that works there very rudely and talking loud and bossing him around. So unprofessional. Safeway is better than that. They need to find workers/managers that will make customers feel good about where they choose to shop.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?

Original review: July 6, 2016

Safeway has, by far, the most poorly managed system of customer service. If you encounter a problem, your best resolution is to contact or return to that same store. But what if it's too far away, there's too much traffic, you happened to be in that part of town and bought their store-brand product and later had a problem? Hold on to your receipt and next time you are in that area, go back for a refund. DO NOT call their 800 customer service number. It is the biggest waste of time. You have to enter your club card & phone #, wait for verification, then wait up to 20 minutes (no exaggeration) for an agent who can't do anything for you except document your call.

Be Careful of their Deli food - sandwiches are spoiled, fried chicken is overcooked, burnt and dried. After waiting 20 minutes & reporting it, they tell you to call back because they don't handle deli complaints. Their "Just 4 you" program is an epic failure. Some items don't ring up the online sale price. The checker requires you, the customer to show them the online price or else they won't honor it. No other store in history makes the customer prove the store's sale price.

Bottom line - keep track of the prices and watch the register or they may over-charge you. They don't know their own sale prices. If the amount is wrong, you have to go through each item to see which one rang up wrong, while a line of customers waits. Because they have only 1 or 2 checkouts open, but 15 to 20 customers waiting. This is no exaggeration. It happens every day at their L.A. area stores. Ralphs (Kroger) may cost a little more, but you are in & out in less than 2 minutes and all the items ring up correctly.

Original review: July 4, 2016

I generally have a high tolerance for managing rude people. However, this Safeway at 145 Jackson Street San Francisco California 94111 has a store clerk named ** who may be transgender male, or just a typical short Asian male who is particularly rude with disgusting customer service skills.

Original review: June 28, 2016

Haven't been to Safeway in a long time. It's got to be like several years. Ever since a local Safeway near where I used to live renovated to include a Starbucks the prices shot up. What would typically be like reg $3, and sale being 4 for $10 everywhere, Safeway would have it 2 for $7 as a sale price.... Overpriced even when on sale. Their sale price is the reg price of everywhere else.

Anyways. Today. Wow. So rude the cashier today. I wander up to checkout. I placed my basket "temporarily" on the belt so I could put my phone down (headphones hooked up). Took the buds out of my ear (Cause that would be rude to talk to your cashier with them in???). She immediately says to me "TAKE IT OUT OF THE BASKET." Huh? "YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT OUT OF THE BASKET." (In my mind I'm like what the ** talking about. Did I understand her correctly?)

I'm like: "Yeah. Sure. No problem." (I wasn't going to have her take it out anyways.) I asked her what the return policy was. "For what?" "Just things in general." "Like what?" "Well what isn't allowed?" "Like what? Depends what it is!" (I give up, passed on a few bath items.) She rings the items up I put on the belt. "Air miles!?" I flipped and found the page in my card holder book, showed it to her to scan. "Take it out." I take it out. "Credit, debit or cash?" "Credit." I proceed to show her which one (logo face side up). "What is it?" By now I'm not interested in talking to her. I make a point to show it to her so she can see it. "What is it?"

(You got to be kidding me, you need me to say it out loud? It ain't happening, not by now I'm nearing pissed off with her attitude.) I stood my ground, held it steady and just looked at her. She finally after giving me a long look (not my card. She looked at me) and finally looked down at my card. Punches whatever button she needs to punch. And I pay. She takes my receipt and just drops it. On top of my bag (doesn't even put it in or ask if I'd like it in the bag.) She turns and signs off for her break and another girl hops on and logs in. I went over to the deli to ask for a manager (cause the other cashier was busy).

I work customer service. Seriously? Never have I ever even thought for a second to TELL my customer that they need to empty their own basket of stuff before I'll ring it up (granted, It would be rude of the customer to not empty the basket) but as a cashier. You don't go telling customers to empty their own basket before you will ring up their stuff. (The girl stood there until I did it???) If my customer had a buggy? And they didn't unload it? I'd lean over and grab it or ask for help from them or if it's an issue I ask a coworker to help grab the other end of larger heavier items. But you don't demand your customers to do squat.

What the hell has happened to Safeway? Used to be good price, nice people. Now it's understaffed, pricey and rude staff??? I was not impressed, will not be shopping at Safeway anymore. Shame. I just moved to new city last year. Recently found out there's a Safeway close by. Closer than save on foods (better price tad further walk) but always every employee greets you with a smile. Never had a rude one in over a decade of shopping at multiple locations. Always happy to help. I'll be going back to save on foods. Location: Royal Oak, Burnaby, Bc. Time: between 8-9 pm. Date: June 27, 2016. Cashier: blond with green streaks in her hair. I returned my purchase after informing the assistant manager of this encounter as I cannot enjoy this steak after this incident.

Original review: June 27, 2016

Safeway Corte Madera CA - While trying to self-checkout the attendant searched my cart personal handbag without my permission. She opened the zipper and started to pull out my personal items. Accused me of shoplifting and threatened to call the police. She never did, and I finished checking out and left the store. Is it against the law to search a customer's handbag?

Original review: June 27, 2016

Once again I went to Safeway at Bolinger and wanted some mix red and white roses. The manager of that department name Sara told me she is not going to make it. And when I asked I wanted to talk to store manager she changed her mind and made the flowers I requested but she told me twice that she is not going to make any more flowers. Means I shouldn't go to that store. Does Safeway has different policy for each store? Or the manager of each department make his/her own rules??

Original review: June 24, 2016

Had the worst experience with Safeway this week. Although I used to love their delivery service, I scheduled a delivery for Thursday between 6:00 and 10:00 p.m. and at 9:45 I received a call that they couldn't make it that day, but I could schedule a 2-hour window for Friday once customer service opened in the morning. Called Friday morning and scheduled a delivery between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m., then worked from home to accommodate this delivery since I need my groceries for a dinner party Saturday that I'll have to start prepping Saturday morning.

At noon I was called and told that no one would deliver my groceries today. After speaking with a customer services manager, AK, I was told someone would call me to make their best effort to arrange the delivery today. An hour later, I get a call assuring me my groceries would NOT be delivered today but that I'd be called by customer service about delivery first thing Saturday morning. It's now 3:30 and I've heard nothing from anyone. Looks like I'll be waiting for my refund and getting my groceries at Fry's Food Stores tomorrow morning.

Update 7/2/2016 - Update on how terrible this delivery service is: Safeway gave me a $75 credit to make up for the fact that I got my last grocery delivery 42 hours late. I used it to place another grocery delivery and, amazingly, I've been waiting an additional 45 minutes for it outside of my 2-hour delivery window and it still hasn't arrived and customer service can't find my driver. Nice work, Safeway.

Original review: June 24, 2016

In its weekly ads, Safeway misrepresents its Signature store brand juice cocktail and Ocean Spray juice cocktail as juice. If you check the labels of the products in their ads, you'll find that less than one-third of the contents is juice. Two-thirds (or more) is sugar water. They do, in fact, have similar products that contain 100-percent juice, but neither Customer Service at the store where I shopped today nor Customer Service at Safeway's HQ would honor the price for the product represented in their ad.

Original review: June 11, 2016

I ordered home delivery on food from Safeway. The first day the driver came and I was on the line for no more than 2 min and he left a voicemail and left. I rescheduled for the following day. I sat in front of the front door of my apartment for the hour window to be there, he never showed at all. I made it clear to customer service I needed those groceries and I was an elderly woman who really needed to have these grocery delivered. They said, "The best we can do is tomorrow." I will never shop at Safeway again.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I noticed many changes at my beloved Safeway in the past six months or so, no longer carrying brands that I had purchased in the past, not having the items from their custom Safeway for U offerings, and now I find they're doing away with the self-service lanes. I stopped shopping at Albertson's because they had no easy-in/easy-out self-service lanes and they didn't have scanners they could use for heavier items which I then had to heft out of the cart put on the belt.

I asked my Safeway manager this week why they didn't stock items that were posted on Safeway for U and he said no store could stock everything and it was up to "Corporate". I also talked to the regional manager about the same issues a month ago. In addition, their ladies room is worse than Walmart's - it's kept clean but the doors don't close, nor do the toilet seats fit the toilets! I've started shopping at Fry's. The employees, who I have worked with for the past ten years, are dismayed.

Original review: June 4, 2016

The Safeway in Tracy, Ca is just walking distance from my grandmother's house so we usually get our grocery supplies from there. They have a variety of products that you can choose from and I was able to find the shampoo that I was looking for here (Neutrogena Daily Control). I went to the neighboring stores like Walmart and Target - but no luck. Thank God it's available here in Safeway. I don't have to order it online. We were also able to try their chicken wings which are ready to eat. We bought a bucket for lunch and it was awesome. It's tasty and it's not like it just came from a grocery store. The best thing about Safeway is it's open 24 hours. If you want to grab some snacks or something that you need at the wee hours of night, you sure can go to them anytime.

Original review: June 4, 2016

The Safeway in Tracy, CA is just walking distance from my grandmother's house so we usually get our grocery supplies from there. They have a variety of products that you can choose from and I was able to find the shampoo that I was looking for here (Neutrogena Daily Control). I went to the neighboring stores like Walmart and Target - but no luck. Thank God it's available here in Safeway. I don't have to order it online. We were also able to try their chicken wings which are ready to eat. We bought a bucket for lunch and it was awesome. It's tasty and it's not like it just came from a grocery store. The best thing about Safeway is it's open 24 hours. If you want to grab some snacks or something that you need at the wee hours of night, you sure can go to them anytime.

Original review: June 1, 2016

My wife and I been customers at Albertsons for over 10 years. Today we shopped at the new Safeway/Albertsons, we found out that we were overcharged on three items out of 5 items. We asked to see the manager named Robert who told us the IT IS HUMAN ERRORS. What a joke this guy is. At one of the items all the peaches were in the same place. His employees told us that there was two kind of peaches... one from Georgia and the second one were from California... looking the same at the same place all mixed-up. We were charged $2.99 while the marked price was $2.49.

On the second purchase we bought sliced ham from the delicatessen... on sale for $7.99. We were charged $9.99 for our first purchase. On the second ham purchase we were charged $2.65 instead of $2.53. The manager told us that it was human errors. In the future we will shop at Publix... where that don't hide behind a phony name such a SAFEWAY. That is just Albertsons who bought the Safeway name! Do buy at Safeway/Albertsons cheating their good customers!

Original review: May 28, 2016

I was calling different stores looking for a product and I reluctantly called Safeway to see if they had it (I say reluctantly because I've had their employees lie to before) and I was told yes. I just walked by the item I was looking for and they definitely had it in stock. When I got there the product wasn't even something they stocked.

I tracked down the night mgr who was standing outside smoking a cig. with another employee and I told her to please tell their people not to do that when apparently the person I talked to on the phone was the same person with the mgr. She stepped in front of the mgr and said "Oh, how are you ever going to survive without what your looking for." I said "that's not the point. I drove 6 miles out of my way on the word that you had this item." She tapped herself on the hand and said "shame on me" with a laughing smile and walked away with the mgr.s mouth hanging open.. All I can say is Safeway seems to have a serious union problem that even the union should be concerned with!

Original review: May 20, 2016

Safeway on King Street has always been my favorite store. I come in mostly to buy snacks or drinks out of the little fridges or from Starbucks. Recently, I was just stopping by for my coffee and I noticed an employee being rude to another employee. It bothered me so much I asked for the employee's name (LILYBETH **). She was very loud and obnoxious towards the young female working beside her. Also, she wasn't cooperative at all and made things move along in a more difficult manner. This problem needs to be resolved immediately because if coworkers can't be nice to other workers then they most definitely don't know how to handle customers.

Original review: May 14, 2016

Better Living Brands Frozen Strawberries. This was a GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT! The fruit has been dipped in something that gives it a sour taste. I tried rinsing it off but the taste was still there. After eating it upset my stomach and made me vomit. I tried Dole Frozen Mango Chunks with the same results. Your label said no preservatives? BUT THERE IS SOMETHING YOU ARE RINSING/PUTTING THIS FRUIT IN THAT MAKES IT BAD. Safeway club card on 05/01/16--total $31.

Original review: May 2, 2016

I was disappointed by my recent visit to the Safeway Deli. As I looked over to the meat slicer the clerk was going to use on my $14 a pound pastrami, oh my, there was meat left in one of the slicers (for how long who knows). The other slicer had cheesed bits all over. Obviously they have an employee that doesn't realize their mother doesn't work there! But come on. The clerk didn't even attempt to wipe it down! Gross. No more deli slices from that store.

Original review: April 29, 2016

You should have received a call from your registered agent for this location in MD. I need to speak with someone regarding the tape and the gentleman who wrongfully called the police on me after I asked for a manager.

Original review: April 28, 2016

Large bug cooked in a bagel. It was gross. Started to cut, saw brown spot on other side. When I opened it, it was a large bug cooked just inside the pre-cut part of bagel. I took pictures but if I just returned them then it would the end of it. This was too noticeable, should have been seen sometime before packaging. Don't know who to contact about this. I still have the package of bagels. And pictures.

Original review: April 17, 2016

Safeway 100 Calistoga Rd Santa Rosa CA 95409 Store # 713. I have been shopping at this Safeway for the last 25 years. This Safeway is open 24/7. Most employees know who I am and some are personal friends of mine. I shop mostly late night because my hours are in another time zone. When shopping late there isn't the usual checker you see there during the day. You have to find or track one down. That's a lot of walking when one employee tells you the employee on aisle 9 is checking tonight and when that employee says no, he or she isn't checking, it is so and so on aisle one. A customer can spend a lot of time walking around the store trying to find a checker to check them out. My longest was about 20 minutes. I am person who has a disability so it makes it very hard on me trying to find an employee to check me out.

A few times in the last couple of years, two night time managers showed me how to simply page a checker using their phone at the check stand. Way cool. Touch #92...wow that's easy and good for the customer and good for the employee. It was a win-win situation. I was happy. Tonight, April 17, 2016 an employee name ** told me he didn't want me to do that anymore. He didn't give me a reason and he didn't look at me while saying it. I mentioned, "well can you get a bell?" He said, "I am right over there." Pointing his finger. How do I know he is there and furthermore, how do I know he is the checker tonight? Doesn't he get some days off and if he is off, then who should I hunt down to check me out? He seem clueless about good customer service. A customer should not have to chase down a Safeway employee to tell the Safeway employee I need to be checked out. Hello Safeway, your bell is ringing.

Original review: March 25, 2016

I love shopping at Safeway and their customer service. Unfortunately today a cashier I had was extremely rude to the lady in front of me, and then extremely rude to me! Huffing and puffing and belittling, it brought my day down from good to poor. I prefer not to let her poor service alter my perspective of shopping at Safeway but I DO NOT want that to affect other shoppers as well. This was today about noon from an employee named ** at store #1499 as the receipt today said. That's Safeway in Colorado Springs off North Powers Blv. It's disappointing when your day is ruined by carelessness.

Original review: March 25, 2016

Advertise what brands they are discontinuing at entrance to store and also to provide a map of the store at the entrance, not just the overhead signs. Items that are advertised and then when you get to the store, there are none. Especially on the first day of a flier. If it's in the flier it had better be there or I go elsewhere. We really like the cheese and my wife likes the kinds of bread Safeway carries. There are also a number of bakery products I find to be fresher than other stores. The deli is well stocked and the sandwich menu is varied and good. Overall it just seems that Safeway Store is clean and appears well run. Clerks seem to be friendlier and the store is more on top of the grocery experience than others. On the negative side, they are more expensive than some other grocery stores and their produce is sometimes not as fresh.

Original review: March 25, 2016

Grab & go after checking out the sale paper. Keep items in stock and have more employees available to help customers who need assistance. Stop putting displays in the aisles - this makes it difficult for guests to maneuver the store - especially those with disabilities. It is also good to instruct employees stocking produce not to throw bananas and other items on the tables. They are okay. There is another store in town, but it is more expensive. If the service got bad enough at Safeway, I would go to the other store. I do let management know when I have a problem - and I also blog on poor or exceptional service.

Original review: March 25, 2016

Meat prices are high, but otherwise I am fairly happy with Safeway. I like to shop on 10% discount days, customer appreciation and senior's days. With discounts, I don't bother going to Costco and paying the membership fees. Safeway has enough selection for my needs. I shop fresh vegetables, dairy, some meats, few pre-cooked, packaged and processed products. If I have a complaint, they deal with it promptly. Discount days are appreciated, as are air-miles that I converted to grocery credits.

Original review: March 25, 2016

Make sure their mobility scooters have fresh batteries. So often I get my shopping half done and then the battery dies. It's humiliating. I am loyal to Safeway (Von's here in Southern California) because the stores are clean, they have a good bakery and generally, the meat department offers a wide selection.

Original review: March 25, 2016

Sometimes I don't find what I'm looking for. They seem to be slower to get new items that have hit the market. Cost is important. If I go to a store that is expensive I tend to avoid later. I want a good deal. Selection is also important but I will overlook this for good pricing and convenient location. Safeway employees are typically very friendly. If you take advantage of the just for you deals/coupons you can get fairly good pricing. Love the gas rewards program.

Safeway Company Information