3.58/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Safeway

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Safeway Reviews

Original review: May 31, 2015

From a former employee: On behalf of former employees everywhere, although this does not excuse poor customer service, you should be aware of how Safeway treats employees. They are often denied breaks, mistreated by management and forced to work on days off. They do not receive weekends or holidays off. They are hired as part time, yet work full or overtime so they have no benefits. They work long, hard hours for little pay. No, this does not excuse poor service. But please understand that in this environment it is unavoidable that good customer service can sometimes be lacking when employees are constantly short staffed, over worked, stressed out, working while ill, and subject to poorly trained/ill-suited management. We are sorry for your understandable grievances. Continue to show your dissatisfaction by shopping elsewhere, at a store that places customer satisfaction, and therefore employee satisfaction, above all else.

Original review: May 26, 2015

After I checked out and got home I realized I left my food from somewhere else behind. It hadn't been fifteen mins after leaving the store. I called customer service and I was told they had other customers as if my call wasn't important when I was a customer, then the person passed the phone to someone else who suppose to put me on hold but they hung up. I called back for a manager just for the manager to say they looked for my stuff. Not once was I asked a description. I was pushed off and sent away.

Original review: May 23, 2015

Tired of purchasing goods which seem to be intentionally damaged by the people that stock goods. Store doesn't care so now I always hang on to my receipt and, as suggested by the response of my last (2nd time) complaint by corporate's customer service, will return it for a refund; but not without attitude from ** at customer service! Tired of shopping at my neighborhood Safeway after 22 years!

Original review: April 28, 2015

The produce I bought here would always rot after the first day. The bathrooms are always covered in urine. They make their employees come in when they're sick and contagious. There are cockroaches all over this place. Only a couple of the employees are nice. The rest look like they're trying to set you on fire with their mind. None of the managers are nice.

I tried to work here and ended up quitting because they tried to make me come in when I was extremely sick. I just told the manager that if that's how things were run there then it wasn't the place for me. She banned me from the store. I never got my paycheck. They never put me on the schedule but would tell me to come in whenever they wanted and tried to get me to come in when I had school also. After I quit, another one of the managers decided to harass me on my Facebook because of something she had screwed up. There are so many things I found wrong with that place. I'm sure there are more things that I didn't have time to find.

Original review: April 20, 2015

I have shopped at Tom Thumb in Flower Mound on Cross Timbers for over 16 years. At the end of March my wife and I stopped to buy groceries. While she shopped I purchased a cup of coffee at the Starbucks kiosk. This particular young is lazy and inattentive and it took me tapping on the counter to get her attention from her texting. I got my coffee and paid for it but mentioned to her she had a wicked scar on her neck which she did. If she had objected to my comment I would have apologized but she continued with the conversation as though she was ok with it. I sat down in the customer area and was quietly drinking my coffee when the assistant manager, a Mr. ** came up and said hello and introduced himself and said his father had just retired from the unit whose emblem was on the cap I was wearing and asked if he could talk with me and sat down at my table after we shook hands.

He then said he wasn't there to talk about his father's unit and really became threatening and belligerent saying I had no right to comment on the clerk's "medical issues" and he just might kick me out of the store and I had better watch out from now on. He didn't ask me what was said or what had happened or that this young woman had complained but under a friendly pretense to sit at my table and then launched into making threats to me? No, I don't tolerated this kind of treatment from anybody and poured my coffee on the table and with a couple of expletives said I was leaving. I called to my wife this assistant mgr followed all the way down the front of store yelling to get out of the store, get out of the store, I'm calling the police.

When we had left the store he followed out right on our heels and keep shouting you better get off I'm my cell phone to the police. He followed us this way to top of the parking lot which he had no right to do since it is shared by a bank and other stores. When my wife and I left we were stopped by the police and I was pulled out and frisked but not arrested and requested to go back to store. When we returned to the store parking lot there were 4 policemen and the store manager waiting. I was given a warning not to come to this store or I would be arrested. I can't believe that this store can get away with treating a customer like this. I have contacted Safeway Corporate Offices but they have done nothing about this issue. Tom Thumb is owned by Safeway.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?

Original review: April 18, 2015

Bought l.l30 lbs of on sale $9.99 per lb of 16-20 count extra large raw shrimp. When cleaning them to grill, thought they were small and got 38 shrimp.. either commit to sales price and item or forget whole deal. For almost $15... I think I got beat... but dont worry, wont happen again.

Original review: April 7, 2015

I will never shop at a Safeway location again. All I wanted was a gift receipt for my gift card. I went to two different locations and was treated horrible by both store and department management, that is union companies for you.

Original review: April 6, 2015

My boyfriend and I have been shopping at the Cheney Safeway store for the past three years; he has frequently purchased alcohol while I "accompany" him and stand next to him. This has not been a problem for the past three years, however, a cashier and manager of the Cheney Safeway store just refused my boyfriend (who is over 21) the sale of alcohol after asking to see my I.D. and verify I am not 21. I was told it is store policy to I.D. everyone in your party, which I would have respected if I had been made aware of this three years ago. The manager then told my boyfriend he is not allowed to purchase alcohol in this store for this next 24 hour-period starting now because of this issue.

If this is in fact Safeway store policy, I am appalled that this is the first time it is being reinforced. I disagree with not being able to purchase alcohol if you are with a minor, but that is not the point. I respect the rules and am concerned this is the first time a Safeway employee at Cheney Safeway has tried to enforce them. If this is in fact Safeway policy, there needs to be signs posted and the cashier should I.D. everyone in the party regardless of age (i.e. a baby) every single time a person goes to purchase alcohol no acceptations. Not once every three years...your employees are clearly not following procedure and because of this serious issue I will no longer be a loyal customer of your store and I will continue to share my story.

Original review: March 19, 2015

Safeway sold these hunger bags 10.00 a bag. I opened one just to see what was in this hunger bag they say is supposed to feed a family of 4. I was surprised to find this in it. When I brought it to my manager’s attention he said that was everything that was in the bags. Online they showed more food than this. Safeway is not as generous as they lead on to be. I know they don't care about their employees but this is really low.

Original review: March 3, 2015

Hi, I have never went online, nor complained in person regarding customer service treatment, but as this seems to be an ongoing problem I felt it was necessary. I have been going to Safeway for years as my primary grocery store. I have proceeded to have several bad experiences when attempting to get service in your deli. The other day I went in and ordered a BLT from your sandwich menu. This is a sandwich I have ordered many times and know the approximate ingredients and the amount of each. The clerk, a young women who I have had issues with in the past, proceeded to only use two pieces of bacon.

I immediately stopped and questioned her since I knew that this was not the correct amount of bacon. The clerk was very rude and irritated stating, "Miss! I'm looking at the ingredients and it plainly states two pieces, but I will give you two more if you feel cheated." As you can imagine, I was very upset that she was accusing me of attempting to get something I didn't pay for. I don't understand why there was any question, the two pieces of bacon on a six inch sourdough roll looked ODD! Since this incident, I have asked other deli employees and was reassured that the correct amount is six pieces, which is clearly indicated on a sign that is displayed for employees. So not only was she rude to me, but she flat out lied and attempted to cheat me. This particular clerk has had issues with other customers and had been forced to relocate to the deli from the Safeway Starbucks. Some people should never work in customer service.

Resolution response: March 27, 2015

Monday 3/2/15, I called the Safeway number on the grocery receipt, 1-877-723-3929 and reached a customer service person who was very helpful and able to fix my account so the 3 gas rewards points shown on the 2/26 register receipt but missing when I tried to use them 2/28, were restored to my account. It turned out my points had somehow been moved to a different phone number. The customer service person was professional and helpful in resolving the problem. I had filed a report about the missing points earlier on this website, and want to be clear about the resolution.

Original review: March 1, 2015

Grocery receipt tape 2/26/15 indicates 3 Gas Rewards available. This afternoon, 2/28, I went to a participating Chevron station to use 2 points and the screen at the pump indicated my card was invalid. I began the transaction again and entered phone number and was told the account had 0 points available. I went to Safeway to see if they could fix this and the manager called the number on the receipt 1-877-723-3929. He was on an unanswered line, on hold, for 40 minutes before giving up. I returned to the gas station and tried another pump with the same results, but this time I took pictures of the screen denying my card and phone number, indicating an account balance of 0. Tomorrow 3/1, some of those miles would expire. I would like to use the 3 Gas Rewards points I've earned. No one else uses this account. I can email pictures if requested.

Original review: March 1, 2015

We normally fill our prescriptions at the pharmacy where I work, but my husband was having a severe issue with his insulin level, and had his doctor call in an emergency order to the Safeway closest to home. The pharmacy didn't have the full amount in stock, so they sold him a partial amount. He was not told until the next day that if he wanted the rest of the insulin, he would have to pay another co-pay. After a week of trying to get in contact with the manager, who was all of a sudden gone, we were told by the pharmacy that the reason we would have to pay another co-pay was because we were not regular customers at the pharmacy, even though we have bought our groceries there for the past 18 years. In 15 years of working in my pharmacy, I have never heard of this.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2015

On 12/31/14 I went to fill a prescription at the Safeway Pharmacy in Pueblo West Colorado. My father was having surgery and I was heading out of state to care for him for the next 8 weeks - per my benefits I am locked in to this Safeway Pharmacy and can only fill at that location. I saw my dr that morning and he gave me my prescription and wrote on the Rx ok to fill early. Pt going out of town. My benefits allow for 2 early fills a year. So I dropped off my Rx and I was told by the pharmacist whose name is Raif (he was substituting for the regular pharmacist who was on vacation) that he was not going to fill. He stated he had never heard of a person being "locked" in to a particular pharmacy and stated that I could fill at any Safeway. I proceeded to tell him that he was incorrect. I advised him to call my pharmacy benefit manager to verify. He then told me that it was too early to fill and he would not fill it. I then advised him that I had an ok from my dr and I was within my rights according to my benefits to req an early out of town fill.

He discussed this in front of other customers thereby violating my HIPAA rights (which by the way is a 50,000.00 fine). In front of other customers he then said it would take all day to verify and he didn't think he would have it ready before I left and demanded to know if I had any other family members that live in Pueblo West who could ship me my medication. As it so happens I worked for the pharmacy benefit manager - my prescription benefits are through and am very familiar with this process and know it takes 15 min to obtain an override for an early fill. So I proceeded to go out to my car and call my pharmacy benefit manager and req that a supervisor call the pharmacy to verify I wasn’t lying about being locked in and that I was eligible for an early fill.

The supervisor then asked me if I wanted to stay on the line. So she conferenced called the pharmacy and at first got a tech who did not know I was on the line and proceeded to say "Ya she says she is going out of town for 8 weeks and bla bla bla. The pharmacist isn’t going to fill." So the supervisor asked to speak to the pharmacist. They made us wait on hold for the pharmacist for over 10 minutes who then got on the phone and stated that he was told by one of the pharmacy staff that I "pull this all the time" (I have never met this pharmacist before and had never filled this Rx early) all while I was on the line listening.

The supervisor then asked him if I had filled any medications early and he said he did not know. She then asked him if I had ever filled that medication early. He said he did not know. She then advised him that I was in fact locked in to that particular location and that I was indeed eligible for an early fill as long as my dr ok what’s written on the Rx. He then hung up. I thanked the rep and hung up and waited another 30 minutes. I called the pharmacy and asked if my Rx was going to be filled. They said yes and I went to pick it up. When I got there the woman (Marie) who had spoken to the supervisor (who is always rude any time I or my husband pick up Rx) would not look at me, neither would the pharmacist. I picked up my Rx and then asked for the corporate number to Safeway. I was refused that number and told to go get from the store manager.

So I promptly went to the customer service desk and asked for a manager. A very nice lady named Brenda listened to my long story and was horrified. I told her that this particular Rx costs 828.00 dollars a month. And that is roughly 3400.00 dollars. Their store is making of my insurance company for just one of my Rx. She apologized and said she would talk to the rep and the pharmacist. And gave me the corporate #. She also gave me a gift card for 50.00. By this time I was practically in tears being so upset by being accused of trying to get early fills and having to take a day and fight with the pharmacy while worrying about my father. Although I appreciate the kindness of the store manager a 50.00 gift card is not going to cut it. Nobody should be treated that way ever! Pueblo West is a small town. There are three pharmacies to choose from - Safeway, Walmart and Walgreens. No one should have to take that kind of treatment because there are limited places to go. I am now in the process of contacting the corporate offices.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

One of my relatives from abroad visited us in May 2014 and he had swiped his international USD prepaid card at Safeway, Sunnyvale, CA. While tallying his account in December, he was surprised to see an incorrect debit for an amount of USD 805 which is clearly incorrect as he doesn't remember swiping for such a big amount. I personally visited the store and raised this issue. The store manager contacted me later in the evening and said that Safeway has no records for May 2014 and I need to contact the bank. I am sure Safeway must be maintaining records and it should be trivial to check system of records. I am not sure how to proceed as his bank is overseas and Safeway has no records to help him.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2014

I am retired and travel a lot and I can sympathize with those who have suffered long lines, subpar products, and indifferent managers. The problem is created by corporate budgets and improper selection of management personnel - I blame this on the showboater District Managers. Safeway is no different than 80 percent of today's supermarket chains. In my travels I have shopped at numerous Safeway stores and find them very similar to what is represented in your one and two-star reviews.

During my stints as manager of several supermarket chains, I have been subject to numerous policies which have prevented my being able to provide proper customer service. One chain in particular did not provide enough hours to afford a truck unloader, so the manager on duty had to leave the front-end area to unload the grocery truck. Yet, you would be reprimanded or fired for leaving the front area! At one location, the loss prevention district manager whose office was in the store would not allow the manager on duty to run a register if things got backed up, and he would come down the stairs to check on things.

One day, I was reprimanded for turning my back on the cashiers while trying to straighten the front soda machines. Another day I was on a register because the lines were exceeding corporate customer standards. The loss prevention manager suggested I take a demotion to cashier. And, another time while on the front end - remember, you would be fired if you strayed away, even to help a customer or go to the restroom(!), I was reprimanded for helping bag customers' groceries.

To reiterate, the problem is not just with Safeway. It is ridiculously tight budgets and incompetent area managers and district supervisors who are mere puppets and either lack insight or are just uneducated and incapable of sound customer service practices.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

We went to the Pharmacy on 112th in Vancouver, WA. My friend has state insurance, and was there picking up 3 antibiotics for severe illness/infections. The pharmacist said it would be 15 minutes, so we waited in the waiting room for 20 minutes, then walked up to the desk. Nora, the pharmacist raised her voice at my friend and said, "I don't care how long you stand there looking at me, I'm not working any faster, I told you 20 minutes." I'm not going to hurry.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

I have been to this Safeway several times and have never been greeted by the cashier. So now I go there and say "hello" to the cashier that doesn't talk to me. I know for a fact that they treat me this way as they think I am Indian and they seem to not like them here in Washington. They are very prejudice in Port Angeles and Sequim. I asked her why she didn't say anything to me and she said she was thinking about taking her lunch break. What a lame excuse to not have good customer service. I proceeded to tell her that I am not Indian and that I come from Hawaii and we don't treat white people bad at our Safeway??? All I can say is I am sick of WHITE TRASH!!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

I was at the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. Normally the team at Albany Safeway are great! On this day however there was an employee that acted completely unprofessional. An employee by the name of Wendy actually told another employee, quite loudly to "shut up" - this was at the register while helping me. Now I don't know about you, but that is not what I expect to have happen in a professional environment. I can't say what brought on the altercation, but honestly that doesn't matter. It shouldn't have happened period. I like this pharmacy and will continue to use it, but I would hope that this employee gets spoken too. I can't imagine what the other employee must have felt at that moment. I felt horrible.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

My daughter and I were at the Safeway on River Road North in Keizer Oregon and we were ordering a Chinese dinner for two, when the guy preparing the food for the show case came out, grabbed a pan out of the show case that was dirty and refilled it with food. What the hell is going on that people aren't caring enough to get a clean pan. I'll tell you I will not be eating there any more.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

I went yesterday to the Safeway located at downtown Portland Oregon. I bought one crunchy then I opened it. When I tried to get out, I got stopped by security guard who asked me which check out did I use. I responded "I used machine", self purchase. Then I asked him the following question ''Why did you ask me that question man?" He supposed to say "That is part of my job", but he said, "Because you are eating that crunchy even before you pay for"... He treat me like a thief. Then, when I showed him my receipt, his face changed and he started to make joke with me. "I told you that because I like crunchy too blah blah blah"...

I got out, then I returned to speak with the store manager to make my complaint. The store manager did not give herself time to listen to me or understand me. All she said "That is part of his job". She was mean and less responsible. I left store angry and called the customer service to complain. Even though the customer service person make a apology. He said sorry. I told him I will never buy anything from Safeway for my future life. I felt that obligated to share my story because I don't wanna anyone to face that bad customer service situation.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2014

Alejandro, the lower QA Safeway supervisor at the check stand, refused to sell me alcohol after work at 8pm on a Friday night. Confused I asked why and he told me that my eyes were "red" and he will not sell to me because I am "intoxicated". I had not a sip of alcohol in my body.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2014

Went to get tapioca pudding. It was outdated so I told an employee. They directed me to a manager, Chris. He was very rude and his attitude was like it was not his concern. He was too busy flirting with a blonde employee. Won't shop there again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2014

Ahh Safeway you are just terrible!! Reading how other people have complained about the terrible customer service makes me shocked as Safeway makes you bend over for the customer and take whatever abuse they want to give you. Mostly verbal which is crap cause honestly I don't care about you. Working in the pharmacy is such a joke. Pharmacists get paid so good but the people that do the grunt work get ** which is at least 85% of the job. You do realize we are the only thing keeping your lame ** company alive right? I'd rather not have a union than these people that do the same job as me but don't do anything would get fired. I went to school you ** but we are treated like common cashiers. If you go to a pharmacy there remember that!

All managers that I've experienced are useless and only care about themselves or their personal problems. Also let's sell to obeys another company that doesn't care about anything except green. Hey let's change how they get paid, used to be weekly now bi-weekly. Oh but we don't care if this screws you for bills and right before Christmas. Bravo **. Karma is a ** remember that. I would never support your companies. I'm only here to make money to pay my bills not to help people, that's how ridiculous this place is. It turns you into a horrible person.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2014

The unprofessionalism has increased since Kroger took over. The pharmacy manager knows absolutely basic ethics of consumer handling: She ignores me specially when I am 1st one in the line. Lies about her staff being busy. The staff does not even know what re-fills are ready for me. Gives me broken and only half the tablet but very reluctant to acknowledge the problem or take responsibility.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2014

Finally Safeway abandoned their ranchers reserve, low grade meat and have returned the excellent, graded meat they were once known for. I stopped buying meat from Safeway a couple of years ago--- now I have returned.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2014

Purchased cooked chicken on 9-20-2014 late afternoon. Made sandwiches about 8pm and nothing was wrong with the chicken... On 9-21 midday or about taken chicken from frig to make another sand or 2 and the chicken had turned RED on the breast side I cut from. Called Safeway and reported it and was told to bring chicken back... Waited until 22nd to see store manager and saw an assistant who couldn't believed his eyes... The whole chicken is completely red by now... They promised to send the chicken out to find out what was wrong or causing the problem. Day later I was told the chicken was thrown out... no lab analyzation or anything done. Reported to all concerned agents... No reply from Safeway... Watch the cooked chicken.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2014

75% of the women at the Evergreen, CO Safeway store are belligerent, and act like bullies. The Safeway store in Evergreen is just across the highway from my house, so I'm there (was) at least twice a week. Yesterday, I shopped at King Soopers in Bergen Park, only a few minutes farther. The women in that store were so nice it felt awkward, like I wasn't used to it. I think I developed some sort of PTSD from 2-years of those bully women at the Evergreen, CO Safeway store. Peace.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

There are a few 'safeway' brand products I like & one of them... is the blue bubble gum pop. Everybody should try it at least once.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2014

While in the check out line at Safeway, the cashier gave 3 Asian girls an employee discount. Then the next guy was also Asian and he was also given an employee discount. I am a white female and I did not receive his employee discount. The cashier is also Asian. He also did not charge either party taxes as I stood there and watched the cash register total up on the screen for all customers to see. I will never go to Safeway again.

Original review: July 29, 2014

After being a loyal customer for close to 40 years, I have been banned from shopping at the Safeway store in Quesnel, BC, due to false accusations from one of their store employees. I also have evidence that this employee is using her position to slander my name to customers that I know, which use the Safeway pharmacy. After speaking to the store manager on July 22, 2014 to have this situation rectified, it was very clear that the manager wasn't at all interested in doing anything about this matter, and I don't believe that this manager has the skills to be dealing with the public in the first place.

First of all, she carried on the conversation at the entrance of the store with other customers walking in and out and secondly, when it was suggested that perhaps Safeway should have the policy in place whereas their employees undergo the mandatory drug testing that many other companies enforce, she got irate and I was told that this is slander and because of that comment, I am now banned from the store and will be physically removed if I ever attempt to shop there again.

I would like people to be very aware that no matter how long you have been a customer at this store, there is nothing that can be done for you if you are mistreated as these workers are protected by the Union. As far as Safeway is concerned, there is no more of the customer always being right. So my advise is that Safeway customers choose another grocery store to use rather than taking a chance that you may be next. I have been and will continue telling this story to anyone that will listen and the ones that have already heard are shocked and have told me that they also will not be shopping at Safeway any longer. As it is, I need to travel approximately 70 km to get to any grocery store so would much rather shop where I am treated properly, rather than somewhere that the Company has no regard as to how their customers are treated.

Safeway Company Information