Safeway

Compare Supermarkets

Research top Supermarkets recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

4th and King st store in San Francisco. When buying wine I was ask for my ID (I am a mid age person) and the cashier try to scan it into their system, stating that it was a new company policy. I denied it, stating my discomfort, and when ask for a manager, he just proceed with the transaction. I sent a tweet to Safeway, but no reply yet. Is it that true? Is it legal? What about ID theft? I find that very invasive and abuse of my individual rights.

I was shopping today at the Safeway at 900 Diablo Ave, Novato CA. Wow. Just wow. I spent $185.18 and the checker ** (needs a haircut, bad black hair dye) literally threw 2 bags at me so that I could bag my own groceries. Really nice service. New flash Safeway, there are many other groceries stores to shop at in Novato. Trader Joe's , Nugget, Harvest Market, Whole Foods, and Costco. I will never shop at Safeway again.

I'm a person of color. On more than one occasion while waiting in the meat dept. at different Safeway's, when the person comes out to help, instead of asking whose next they automatically ask the white person what can they help them with. It is rude and very racist. I've already stop shopping in the vegetable dept. two yrs ago. Your meat is not all that good neither! I will go to a real meat market and get my meat there. Plenty of them around. Teach your employee public relation. You don't know how that makes your customers feel. With your prices being so high and the quality so poor it's not worth putting up with the rudeness of your staff. Plus your bakery products are stale.

I was at the Warm Springs, CA location where I would usually purchase groceries if I'm have no time to drive far. Today Nov. 3, 2016 at 2:45 I was purchasing Pure Life Nestle' water 3 for $10.00 and since I did not bring enough cash and forgot to bring my debit card I decided not to continue with my purchase. The total was $18 something cents so I kind of question $18? Really? So this lady was kinda sarcastic saying CRV and then followed with a very sarcastic remark CALIFORNIA HAS CRV so I started telling her that I know that there is CRV. I purchase Safeway water here a lot.

So I started removing the water from my cart and she just stared at me. As I was walking away she started mocking me and chanting CRV. I would usually go to a cashier that I already know but today I thought I would try a new person. I think she has been there for a few months now. Usually the other cashiers are very nice to me and my family. I did buy a $7.99 bucket of chicken and paid it at the Deli dept. prior to getting water.

I went to Safeway on hover this morning to simply get 2 donuts. The average total it had always been is around $1.10 but today it was $1.53 FOR TWO DONUTS! I could have gone to King Soopers, Walmart and gotten them for cheaper with far better service... I needed some assistance and they took 10 minutes to help me and proceeded to be rude to me even though they had been wasting my time. I used to work at King Soopers, and I would say the service is far better than this rundown Safeway. Absolute garbage. I will never be shopping here again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?

Mold growing no matter how many times I have purchased product. Concerned product is not safe. Purchased prepackaged bag. Difficult to see mold until opened. Disgusted with Safeway products.

Less and less cashiers and more self checkouts. Self checkouts will never buy a car, a house. They will never get their hair done, order pizza, buy groceries. GET A CLUE PEOPLE. STOP USING SELF CHECKOUTS. Stop letting big companies profit off you using a robot. Insist on NOT USING them. They provided nothing to the economy... Shame on you Safeway. I'm making this as public as possible. I just went to Safeway, one person on the checkout and three self checkouts running.

You cannot shop online and have your groceries delivered because the website won't even allow you to register. This is ridiculous, and when you call the technical support phone number they do not assist you.

Handles break before you leave the store. Why save the earth? You stop using plastic bags to save the earth only to sell plastic bags. Whose bright idea was this? I have found a new shop in Elk Grove. They don't charge for bags. So much for saving the earth.

This place has the most incompetent Deli I have ever seen. I understand things can get messed up occasionally but to have the same experience, day after day, month after month, speaks volumes of the incompetent management and the "I don't give a **" attitude of the corporate entity. In general, regardless of the time of the day, one can expect to wait 5-10 minutes to be served, worse if the 2 older female workers have the shift (they work in slow motion). 20 minutes if there are 3 or more people in line.

If one thinks of getting fresh bar food such as wings, chickens or meatloaf, before 12:30 forget it. Come back because they will tell you it's not ready and will snap at you if you ask what the purpose of the fresh food bar is for if there is no fresh food in it until late afternoon? If one thinks of getting fresh cold meats or sandwiches, forget it. They are yesterday's unsold batch.

If you ask how old the stuff is so you don't buy old dry food they will lie and say non-responsively "We make it fresh every day". If one pressures them for an answer about how long they have been in the display TODAY, they will respond with a no answer "We make it fresh in the morning and afternoon." Face it, doesn't do any good to complain. If one does they look at you and roll their eyes. Doesn't make any difference to contact Corporate either, the FAT lady will sing before one ever hears from them. So, what good is a Deli with a fresh food bar with no fresh food and long waits, ask yourself...

The person who was working in bakery department on August 30-2013 gave my cake to the wrong person. The person who gave my cake to the wrong person should get fired from her job. How would you feel if you order a cake for someone and you go to the store and they end up telling "oh someone pick up the cake" like what kind of worker gives someone else cake away to another person. I am going back in the to the Safeway tomorrow and talk to the other boss cause the manager and the worker said they can't do nothing about it that I would have to go back in tomorrow to talk to the other manager. The Safeway I order the cake from is located on McDowell 7st. The person needs to get fired cause she don't know how to work her job right.

Yesterday was the frosting on the cake. We have had increasingly long lines and fewer open checkouts recently. With only 4 aisles open, there were approximately 3 dozen customers waiting in the lines available. To make matters worse there is a large poster board at the checkout area proclaiming "three is a crowd" so we will open another checkout stand. Seems a bad idea all round to advertise this promise in these circumstances. It only provided fodder for many of us to scoff and become even more impatient.

My husband and I chose to leave and purchased our $90 worth of groceries at Walmart... A task I never thought I would undertake. We even stopped at Grocery Outlet for a few items. Our shopping habits may be headed in an entirely different direction if Safeway does not provide some much needed customer care at checkout. I feel badly for the staff of our store in Cottage Grove as they are overall very much tuned in to the needs and satisfaction of their patrons. Too bad the company doesn't seem to have the same priorities.

I was refused service at customer service desk by cashier Shayla on 8/12/16. I needed to make a purchase bus tickets to do cash back so I could also purchase a money order. I was told she was closing in 2 min and there things she need to do in office. She then walked off. I then asked for a manager who did come over Taylor and performed the transaction on the same register Shayla had just told had been closed for the night. So my money looks the same as everyone else's so my only other thought is Shayla refused me service or explanation because I'm **.

In two separate incidents on the same day for two family members, a cursory review of the cash register receipt at Safeway revealed large discrepancies between what was purchased, the shelf price of the item and the scanner amounts on the receipt. In the first incident, one head of lettuce magically became 13. In this case a code was entered by the cashier since there was no bar code on the lettuce package. In the same checkout, 1 $1.89 shelf-priced item rang-up as $4.89. Later that evening I purchased three items, two deli-prepared and priced items and a box of bakery cookies. The cookies scanned at the marked and shelf price of $5.00. The other two items were shelf priced as $3.99/lb. The weight of each was 1 lb. so they should have checked out at approximately $4.00 each.

One of the items rang-up at $10.99 and the other $3.89. The total for the transaction at the register was over $19.00 when it should have been approximately $13.00. The store had me enter my phone number to receive their Von's Club discount. However only one of the deli-items rang up as discounted. The other did not. The total overcharge for the two visits was nearly $30 of a total corrected purchase of $50. That calculates as nearly 60% of overcharge. The supervisors in both situations made the transactions right at the register, although neither was willing to explain the problem that was creating the overcharge. The conclusion for this shopper is a growing mistrust of Safeway and motivation to shop elsewhere. Maybe an executive at Safeway can explain this to me.

Accustomed to waiting in line at Middle Road Safeway (and never complained before). Today was beyond ridiculous – chose one lane (8) with five people in line but was the least compared to other lanes. (Noon August 12, 2016) 4 checkout stations were not staffed and there were lines of people waiting for the available open checkouts. Self-check and minimum purchase lanes even had long lines. There were many uncomplimentary comments – myself included. As your stats must show Friday is a busy shopping day and I (with others) cannot understand why you don't staff accordingly. Many, many unhappy customers – please follow up. There are other excellent markets where we can transfer our business.

I'm always reluctant to shop at safeway in Middletown, MD. Because I've been burned so often there with rancid food. My most recent visit to the Safeway was July 21st. The only reason I didn't buy anything on this particular visit is because I was unable to. There were no baskets to put groceries into. There were only 4 lanes open at 6PM - 2 express, and all of them were backed halfway up the aisles.

I told the manager and he said he was on the way to help (checkout) and there was no one else. It's 6PM on a Thursday right? I had a very few items but I gave them up and left them with the manager and left. Now I should also mention that I may have tried to purchase more if the milk wasn't past its sell date by a day that I wanted (marked 50% off with no other options) and the chicken wasn't piled in its usual jenga stack from people picking thru the packages to get at some that didn't smell rotted.

I'm talkin' a full 50 or 60 packages in a heap well above the refrigeration line just stinkin up the place. The pork chops were the same story... the packaging stinks like soured pork. It's almost as if they package the meats on some table that's covered with pork or chicken juice that spoils on the package and they don't clean up. This has been this way since I moved to the area back in March 2016. If you opt for the deli case in hopes it'll save you... no way. The chicken displayed on ice at times is dried out and brown like 1000 smokers stood around it with a blow dryer for 2 hours. As I said, I'm reluctant to go to this store but probably like many I know it's the only store in that area and I'm stuck until the day when CVS or the local drug stores start selling meats.

I'm up vacationing from another state I walked into Safeway pharmacy and ask the pharmacist if she has the specific manufacturer for the medication I was taking. She went and looked and said yes she does and has the quantity - following day I brought in my prescription knowing that I was giving them four days before it was to be filled to get eyes dotted and T's crossed for an out-of-state prescription. I came in to pick up my prescription on the day of got out to the car, opened it up to find it wasn't the correct manufacturer that I was going there for in the first place. Once you leave the store there's no way to return medications.

I called the pharmacist who stated she had made a mistake. It was for a different type of medication. She had plenty of that manufacture - the thing that gets me is she had the prescription hard copy in her hand and was looking at it and knew me and knew what manufacturer I wanted but blatantly filled it anyway with a different manufacturer to get the sale that puts me taking a medication for 30 days that does not work nowhere near as good as the manufacturer I requested. Thank you Safeway. I will remember you for the next 30 days.

I went to Salt Lake Safeway (HONOLULU) which I normally like the customer service there. I sat in my car looking at the Safeway app and adding discounts to my card... and found some "free offers". So I thought, ok, I will go look for it but if I can't find it no biggie. I just thought it might give me a chance to try stuff I probably would never buy.

Me: "Excuse me, where can I find these offers" (show Safeway girl associate #1 my phone). Safeway girl: "How did you get anything free? Why is it free?" (With an unenthused look and tone). Me: "I don't know. I just looked at the app and added it to my card?" Safeway girl: "I don't know how to help you with that, so you can either talk to this guy or my manager ringing on register 3"... and walks away.

Me: "Excuse me, where can I get these free items?" Safeway guy associate: "Can I see your phone. Ok let me go look". He can't find it so he goes to manager. Manager tells him just to substitute it for something similar. Me to cashier girl: "Hi, they told me I can substitute these for the free items on my phone." As I look up to the guy who helped me for support so he nods. Cashier to me: "How much is it because if it's too much of a difference then cannot."

Me: "I don't know. They just told to pick from certain products." (looking at the guy) Who then tell her "the manager said to just substitute it". Cashier girl rolls her eyes and says something about a coupon. Moral of the story peeps: Check your Safeway app under just for u section and under "special events"/"free offers". But beware, you might be treated like a criminal even though you still spent $52 and you walk out with some free pasta, health bar, and a coupon for hot pockets.

I went to safeway July 7, 2016 between 8:00-8:30 in the morning. This cashier till is the only one open that time. When this cashier asked me to insert my debit, I noticed the machine says "remove card" so I removed and put in again, I got the same message. So I told to this rude cashier that I am getting the same message "remove card". She asked me 3x, "what does it say". I got irritated because I am in a hurry. So I told her "how many times you need to ask me?" And she says "I don't see what the machine says, it's not in front me". The more I got pissed, so I said to her, "it's early in the morning and you're ruining my day already". She said "how about if I say that you are ruining my day". She came out from her post and tried to take my card on my hand but then I said "forget it". I asked for her name, she said a name that is very unusual and at the same time she was covering her name tag.

I totally forgot that name. Next time I go there I will get her name and come back here. She has a short hair, wearing an eyeglasses. Kind of blond hair but not really blond. She's the only cashier that's open that time. She's very rude. I heard that these people working in Safeway are under a Union. That could be the reason why they don't care if they treat customers nicely or not. They are protected. I hope safeway could give proper training to these kind of customer service employees and address cashiers about their attitude towards customers.

I went to Kaneohe Safeway to get a poke bowl on July 6 and 7. The lady who made my poke bowl gave me about 7 pieces of poke. I didn't notice how little bit there was until I got home. I couldn't believe I paid 8 dollars for a bowl of rice pretty much. I thought maybe I'll try again. The next day I went and again I got that same short lady to make me a poke bowl. And again she gave me a small layer of poke on my rice. But what made me so much more angry is that this time, I ordered fresh spicy ahi. When I got home to eat it, OMG! You wouldn't believe what they used for fresh ahi. It was either marlin, or albacore tuna. It was white under all that spicy sauce. I couldn't believe it. They ripped me off! Ahi is red and more expensive than those other fish. So they sold me and everyone else who bought that spicy ahi on July 7, 2016, either marlin or albacore, for 17.99 which should have only been 11.99 or less. Super shady.

Then when I wanted to complain and I asked a worker who the manager of the seafood was, they pointed to that same short lady. I was so mad. She was the last person I wanted to talk to. What kind of manager uses cheap fish and tries to run it off as ahi? That's so dishonest. They are ripping off customers. What do they think, customers are stupid? The boss of that store needs to find someone to manage their departments better. They will lose so much service from this. And another thing, that same lady has an attitude problem. She answers your questions harshly and I saw her treating this guy that works there very rudely and talking loud and bossing him around. So unprofessional. Safeway is better than that. They need to find workers/managers that will make customers feel good about where they choose to shop.

Safeway has, by far, the most poorly managed system of customer service. If you encounter a problem, your best resolution is to contact or return to that same store. But what if it's too far away, there's too much traffic, you happened to be in that part of town and bought their store-brand product and later had a problem? Hold on to your receipt and next time you are in that area, go back for a refund. DO NOT call their 800 customer service number. It is the biggest waste of time. You have to enter your club card & phone #, wait for verification, then wait up to 20 minutes (no exaggeration) for an agent who can't do anything for you except document your call.

Be Careful of their Deli food - sandwiches are spoiled, fried chicken is overcooked, burnt and dried. After waiting 20 minutes & reporting it, they tell you to call back because they don't handle deli complaints. Their "Just 4 you" program is an epic failure. Some items don't ring up the online sale price. The checker requires you, the customer to show them the online price or else they won't honor it. No other store in history makes the customer prove the store's sale price.

Bottom line - keep track of the prices and watch the register or they may over-charge you. They don't know their own sale prices. If the amount is wrong, you have to go through each item to see which one rang up wrong, while a line of customers waits. Because they have only 1 or 2 checkouts open, but 15 to 20 customers waiting. This is no exaggeration. It happens every day at their L.A. area stores. Ralphs (Kroger) may cost a little more, but you are in & out in less than 2 minutes and all the items ring up correctly.

I generally have a high tolerance for managing rude people. However, this Safeway at 145 Jackson Street San Francisco California 94111 has a store clerk named ** who may be transgender male, or just a typical short Asian male who is particularly rude with disgusting customer service skills.

Haven't been to Safeway in a long time. It's got to be like several years. Ever since a local Safeway near where I used to live renovated to include a Starbucks the prices shot up. What would typically be like reg $3, and sale being 4 for $10 everywhere, Safeway would have it 2 for $7 as a sale price.... Overpriced even when on sale. Their sale price is the reg price of everywhere else.

Anyways. Today. Wow. So rude the cashier today. I wander up to checkout. I placed my basket "temporarily" on the belt so I could put my phone down (headphones hooked up). Took the buds out of my ear (Cause that would be rude to talk to your cashier with them in???). She immediately says to me "TAKE IT OUT OF THE BASKET." Huh? "YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT OUT OF THE BASKET." (In my mind I'm like what the ** talking about. Did I understand her correctly?)

I'm like: "Yeah. Sure. No problem." (I wasn't going to have her take it out anyways.) I asked her what the return policy was. "For what?" "Just things in general." "Like what?" "Well what isn't allowed?" "Like what? Depends what it is!" (I give up, passed on a few bath items.) She rings the items up I put on the belt. "Air miles!?" I flipped and found the page in my card holder book, showed it to her to scan. "Take it out." I take it out. "Credit, debit or cash?" "Credit." I proceed to show her which one (logo face side up). "What is it?" By now I'm not interested in talking to her. I make a point to show it to her so she can see it. "What is it?"

(You got to be kidding me, you need me to say it out loud? It ain't happening, not by now I'm nearing pissed off with her attitude.) I stood my ground, held it steady and just looked at her. She finally after giving me a long look (not my card. She looked at me) and finally looked down at my card. Punches whatever button she needs to punch. And I pay. She takes my receipt and just drops it. On top of my bag (doesn't even put it in or ask if I'd like it in the bag.) She turns and signs off for her break and another girl hops on and logs in. I went over to the deli to ask for a manager (cause the other cashier was busy).

I work customer service. Seriously? Never have I ever even thought for a second to TELL my customer that they need to empty their own basket of stuff before I'll ring it up (granted, It would be rude of the customer to not empty the basket) but as a cashier. You don't go telling customers to empty their own basket before you will ring up their stuff. (The girl stood there until I did it???) If my customer had a buggy? And they didn't unload it? I'd lean over and grab it or ask for help from them or if it's an issue I ask a coworker to help grab the other end of larger heavier items. But you don't demand your customers to do squat.

What the hell has happened to Safeway? Used to be good price, nice people. Now it's understaffed, pricey and rude staff??? I was not impressed, will not be shopping at Safeway anymore. Shame. I just moved to new city last year. Recently found out there's a Safeway close by. Closer than save on foods (better price tad further walk) but always every employee greets you with a smile. Never had a rude one in over a decade of shopping at multiple locations. Always happy to help. I'll be going back to save on foods. Location: Royal Oak, Burnaby, Bc. Time: between 8-9 pm. Date: June 27, 2016. Cashier: blond with green streaks in her hair. I returned my purchase after informing the assistant manager of this encounter as I cannot enjoy this steak after this incident.

Safeway Corte Madera CA - While trying to self-checkout the attendant searched my cart personal handbag without my permission. She opened the zipper and started to pull out my personal items. Accused me of shoplifting and threatened to call the police. She never did, and I finished checking out and left the store. Is it against the law to search a customer's handbag?

Once again I went to Safeway at Bolinger and wanted some mix red and white roses. The manager of that department name Sara told me she is not going to make it. And when I asked I wanted to talk to store manager she changed her mind and made the flowers I requested but she told me twice that she is not going to make any more flowers. Means I shouldn't go to that store. Does Safeway has different policy for each store? Or the manager of each department make his/her own rules??

Had the worst experience with Safeway this week. Although I used to love their delivery service, I scheduled a delivery for Thursday between 6:00 and 10:00 p.m. and at 9:45 I received a call that they couldn't make it that day, but I could schedule a 2-hour window for Friday once customer service opened in the morning. Called Friday morning and scheduled a delivery between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m., then worked from home to accommodate this delivery since I need my groceries for a dinner party Saturday that I'll have to start prepping Saturday morning.

At noon I was called and told that no one would deliver my groceries today. After speaking with a customer services manager, AK, I was told someone would call me to make their best effort to arrange the delivery today. An hour later, I get a call assuring me my groceries would NOT be delivered today but that I'd be called by customer service about delivery first thing Saturday morning. It's now 3:30 and I've heard nothing from anyone. Looks like I'll be waiting for my refund and getting my groceries at Fry's Food Stores tomorrow morning.

Update 7/2/2016 - Update on how terrible this delivery service is: Safeway gave me a $75 credit to make up for the fact that I got my last grocery delivery 42 hours late. I used it to place another grocery delivery and, amazingly, I've been waiting an additional 45 minutes for it outside of my 2-hour delivery window and it still hasn't arrived and customer service can't find my driver. Nice work, Safeway.

In its weekly ads, Safeway misrepresents its Signature store brand juice cocktail and Ocean Spray juice cocktail as juice. If you check the labels of the products in their ads, you'll find that less than one-third of the contents is juice. Two-thirds (or more) is sugar water. They do, in fact, have similar products that contain 100-percent juice, but neither Customer Service at the store where I shopped today nor Customer Service at Safeway's HQ would honor the price for the product represented in their ad.

I ordered home delivery on food from Safeway. The first day the driver came and I was on the line for no more than 2 min and he left a voicemail and left. I rescheduled for the following day. I sat in front of the front door of my apartment for the hour window to be there, he never showed at all. I made it clear to customer service I needed those groceries and I was an elderly woman who really needed to have these grocery delivered. They said, "The best we can do is tomorrow." I will never shop at Safeway again.

I noticed many changes at my beloved Safeway in the past six months or so, no longer carrying brands that I had purchased in the past, not having the items from their custom Safeway for U offerings, and now I find they're doing away with the self-service lanes. I stopped shopping at Albertson's because they had no easy-in/easy-out self-service lanes and they didn't have scanners they could use for heavier items which I then had to heft out of the cart put on the belt.

I asked my Safeway manager this week why they didn't stock items that were posted on Safeway for U and he said no store could stock everything and it was up to "Corporate". I also talked to the regional manager about the same issues a month ago. In addition, their ladies room is worse than Walmart's - it's kept clean but the doors don't close, nor do the toilet seats fit the toilets! I've started shopping at Fry's. The employees, who I have worked with for the past ten years, are dismayed.

The Safeway in Tracy, Ca is just walking distance from my grandmother's house so we usually get our grocery supplies from there. They have a variety of products that you can choose from and I was able to find the shampoo that I was looking for here (Neutrogena Daily Control). I went to the neighboring stores like Walmart and Target - but no luck. Thank God it's available here in Safeway. I don't have to order it online. We were also able to try their chicken wings which are ready to eat. We bought a bucket for lunch and it was awesome. It's tasty and it's not like it just came from a grocery store. The best thing about Safeway is it's open 24 hours. If you want to grab some snacks or something that you need at the wee hours of night, you sure can go to them anytime.

Safeway Company Profile