Safeway

Compare Supermarkets

Research top Supermarkets recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My family and myself will never shop at Safeway again. My mother bought me a face product that was 10.00. It was not the brand I use and I helped her search for the receipt. We could not find it. I went back to the Safeway store in Litchfield Park Arizona to EXCHANGE the product for the brand I use. I was not asking for a REFUND just an exchange. The rude worker said, "Sorry no receipt no exchange." I asked to speak to the store manager. The worker tells him it's a high price item and that I don't have a receipt. I explained the situation to the store manager. He was so RUDE. I said 10.00 is a high priced item? He said, "No exchange" started to walk away. I said, "Sir you are rude and I will contact your corporate office." He kept walking away. I contacted Safeway corporate office and no one ever responded. Horrible store, horrible employees!!

The Snohomish Wa Safeway employees are great! I can't thank Dana in the floral dept enough as she put together yet another wonderful arrangement of flowers for me. She has helped me pick out vases/containers & flowers for numerous occasions including the many deaths our family has had to endure, all the while guiding me through the process of making my choices with confidence & her caring ways. Thank you!

Their prices are high considering the run of the mill selection. Top dollar for staple goods. Checkers are not accurate. It is not unusual to be charged higher prices at checkout than is advertised or is shelf-labeled.

The service was what made it special. Customer service is something that is getting rare. A smile, a pleasant response, full answers, correct grammar, listening/giving your full attention are a few of the qualities of customer service we had at Safeway.

My Safeway store is great...!!! I know the employees by name and they are always willing to help - No rudeness like at some stores because they may be tired or had a long day. They always greet you and if you have an issue with a product, they resolve it without any hassles.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?

Most of the employees are helpful, but the Just for U program is frustrating. Many times I've added items to my Just for U list, but I don't get the discounted price. Also, about 1/3 of the times, prices are incorrect on the register and I need to go to Customer Service to get refunded. There's typically a longish wait since others are also in line, waiting for help to correct register issues or waiting for the store rep to appear from behind their closed office door. That said, the store rep has always been good and polite about correcting/fixing the problem.

I recently purchased many bottles of wine over the Holidays and when we opened 4 of them they were corked. This is not the first time that we've bought wine at the Mountain Blvd. store that was corked when we opened it. We had guests over for dinner, and it was embarrassing to have to keep apologizing and opening different bottles, only for them to taste fizzy and be corked. Had they been the same brand wine, then I might understand that the entire batch was off, but they were different brands. It's a disgrace, and it ruined our evening as we had to run out to the grocery store on one of the busiest nights of the year while our guests waited for dinner at home.

This grocery store is always clean and well-organized. They have great selection of products, including house brands. The in-house bakery is greatly appreciated, as the products are fresh, and not pre-packaged. Highly recommended!

Overall I am very pleased with my shopping experience at Safeway. I live in Hawaii & even though they have a wide variety of food in their deli section the selections are mostly if not all are local dishes. I love living here but am not a big fan of the local foods. Also I have a favorite cake they have in their bakery & it is not consistently available even after we ask about it.

I shop at Safeway for their sale products or extra Air Miles point products, or for the couple items I can't purchase anywhere else. It is common knowledge their regular prices, other than sale prices or Air Miles point items that bring me to the store, are higher priced than anywhere else. I would shop at Safeway for all items if their regular prices were comparative to others I shop at. But, I am price-conscious on my pension.

I like shopping at Safeway. The price of the product is reasonable and the quality is good. The customer service is great. Always greeted with a good day and a smile from the cashiers. When an employee sees that you are looking for something they ask if they can help you and they assist you in finding your item. I also like their reward.

Never have enough of the smaller carts. You only see male clerks anymore. Groceries are bagged carelessly. Male clerks just throw stuff. Never have enough checkers. Two is the norm even at busy times. Don't always ask if you need help.

This store is in a rural area and is smaller than most. It has much higher prices than larger stores in the big city 50 miles away. So the variety is smaller and the aisles are so close together that they are difficult to navigate. As far as the larger stores go, they have competitive pricing on just about everything, but the quality of their meats is just average.

The store I use is well organized with items easy to find. Clerks are pleasant and helpful. There is a good selection of products & easy parking. There are enough checkout stations to avoid very long lines.

This Safeway is Clean, comfortable, well-stocked and the products are displayed so that they are easy to find. The personnel are friendly, pleasant, give good service and are cooperative when you need help with something. The shopping experience at the Duval Mine Rd, Safeway Store is my preference because the parking is easier to manipulate. Definitely a nice friendly market. I would recommend it.

I use their delivery service - Vons.com. Very good service, good sale prices, good delivery people. I save between $15 - $40 on my groceries. They offer free delivery on orders $150 or more. Otherwise, delivery ranges up to $12.95 per trip, depending on time slot chosen. Order minimum is $50. Good and extensive selection of groceries. No tips for drivers.

Friendly and helpful employees. Like the reward points that can be used for gas. Good quality foods and good sales. Love Just for U coupons. Love $5 Friday sales. Fruits and vegetables very fresh. Store is very clean and you are able to push carts comfortably down aisle even if another cart is side by side.

Safeway is in a convenient location for me to walk to which is really the only reason I shop there. I don't have a car. Their prices are steep. The produce department is horrible. Many of their items in all departments are just about at the expiration date. On the plus side, they have an in-store pharmacy which is very convenient and usually has less waiting times than other pharmacies, staff is very friendly, customer service is good. The deli is pretty good also although many prepacked deli items are also at almost expiration date.

This has always been a good store. However since it has changed hands prices keep jumping week to week. The deli is poorly run. The people working in it very nice, but on Fri. sale days they run out of chicken early in the day. I saw a lady come in to pick up chicken for the homeless which she had ordered THAT MORNING and there was none for her. These things are very annoying. Thank you for the opportunity.

Good overall experience, though on the expensive side. Frequently has prices that don't match as advertised/shown on the shelf and ends up overcharging for many items. On a personal level, this is good because if you always check your receipt, you will often get a free item. On a commercial level, this is irresponsible because it's an inappropriate way to make money.

While at my local Safeway last week I was searching for mint chocolate chips for baking. I approached the customer service representative asking "where are the mint chocolate chips?" To which she replied "you do not know!" I then replied "no" and then she came out from behind the desk and walked to the aisle they should have been on. After a few moments of searching through every imaginable chip; it was determined that the chip was not on the shelf. I then asked "are you going to be getting any in?" To which she smugly replied "how do I know?" There were no managers I could register my complaint. I have stood in line in excess of (15) fifteen minutes at this store for someone to come to customer service. I have been buying my groceries there for over a decade, and this was the first time I was treated this way. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Spendy and not very affordable. In today's age, you would think that big stores like Safeway could give you better prices. I've seen their prices go up continually now for the past two years and can't hardly afford to shop there anymore.

4th and King st store in San Francisco. When buying wine I was ask for my ID (I am a mid age person) and the cashier try to scan it into their system, stating that it was a new company policy. I denied it, stating my discomfort, and when ask for a manager, he just proceed with the transaction. I sent a tweet to Safeway, but no reply yet. Is it that true? Is it legal? What about ID theft? I find that very invasive and abuse of my individual rights.

I was shopping today at the Safeway at 900 Diablo Ave, Novato CA. Wow. Just wow. I spent $185.18 and the checker ** (needs a haircut, bad black hair dye) literally threw 2 bags at me so that I could bag my own groceries. Really nice service. New flash Safeway, there are many other groceries stores to shop at in Novato. Trader Joe's , Nugget, Harvest Market, Whole Foods, and Costco. I will never shop at Safeway again.

I'm a person of color. On more than one occasion while waiting in the meat dept. at different Safeway's, when the person comes out to help, instead of asking whose next they automatically ask the white person what can they help them with. It is rude and very racist. I've already stop shopping in the vegetable dept. two yrs ago. Your meat is not all that good neither! I will go to a real meat market and get my meat there. Plenty of them around. Teach your employee public relation. You don't know how that makes your customers feel. With your prices being so high and the quality so poor it's not worth putting up with the rudeness of your staff. Plus your bakery products are stale.

I was at the Warm Springs, CA location where I would usually purchase groceries if I'm have no time to drive far. Today Nov. 3, 2016 at 2:45 I was purchasing Pure Life Nestle' water 3 for $10.00 and since I did not bring enough cash and forgot to bring my debit card I decided not to continue with my purchase. The total was $18 something cents so I kind of question $18? Really? So this lady was kinda sarcastic saying CRV and then followed with a very sarcastic remark CALIFORNIA HAS CRV so I started telling her that I know that there is CRV. I purchase Safeway water here a lot.

So I started removing the water from my cart and she just stared at me. As I was walking away she started mocking me and chanting CRV. I would usually go to a cashier that I already know but today I thought I would try a new person. I think she has been there for a few months now. Usually the other cashiers are very nice to me and my family. I did buy a $7.99 bucket of chicken and paid it at the Deli dept. prior to getting water.

I went to Safeway on hover this morning to simply get 2 donuts. The average total it had always been is around $1.10 but today it was $1.53 FOR TWO DONUTS! I could have gone to King Soopers, Walmart and gotten them for cheaper with far better service... I needed some assistance and they took 10 minutes to help me and proceeded to be rude to me even though they had been wasting my time. I used to work at King Soopers, and I would say the service is far better than this rundown Safeway. Absolute garbage. I will never be shopping here again.

Mold growing no matter how many times I have purchased product. Concerned product is not safe. Purchased prepackaged bag. Difficult to see mold until opened. Disgusted with Safeway products.

Less and less cashiers and more self checkouts. Self checkouts will never buy a car, a house. They will never get their hair done, order pizza, buy groceries. GET A CLUE PEOPLE. STOP USING SELF CHECKOUTS. Stop letting big companies profit off you using a robot. Insist on NOT USING them. They provided nothing to the economy... Shame on you Safeway. I'm making this as public as possible. I just went to Safeway, one person on the checkout and three self checkouts running.

You cannot shop online and have your groceries delivered because the website won't even allow you to register. This is ridiculous, and when you call the technical support phone number they do not assist you.

Safeway Company Profile