3.23/5
Based on 128 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

535 Safeway Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

I don’t like doing these reviews because I feel one experience should never dampen an entire brand. However, I have changed my mind because I feel this should be an important lesson to businesses. I have shopped at this store for at least five years. Never have I experienced anything like this. Never have I experienced anything like this, ever, in the entire time I have lived in Phoenix and shopped at any store. It disturbed, upset, and angered me. On Saturday, June 9th, I did my usual shopping here. My mother and I go every Saturday, sometimes more than once a week, to this very store to shop for groceries.

I was in the shampoo aisle looking at items when a man with a clipboard approached me and asked how I was doing. I said fine. He then proceeded to tell me two of his employees identified me as someone who stole from his store. That I stole diapers several times. Shocked was the only way I could describe this. At first I thought it was a joke so I asked him if he was serious and he said yes he was. My shock turned to anger and I just remember becoming very upset. I didn’t know how to react to this. First, he never identified himself. I had to ask him who he was. His name was Larry and he told me that was his store. I demanded he tell me the names of the two employees and he refused and told me he didn’t have to do anything. I argued with him for about 10 minutes. I still find this hard to write about because I’m still angry, upset and hurt about it. Disgusted. He was arrogant.

The fact that I had to justify my innocence to this person still has me nauseated, sick to my stomach. After about 10 minutes of me telling him that they were mistaken and I shopped there every Saturday, he apologized and walked away, but I informed him I would be lodging a formal complaint. It felt like his accusing me was just nothing to be swept under the rug. I went to customer service and asked to speak to the person in charge of the store. One of the ladies there said the director wasn’t in, but she took down my information. Not good enough, so I called corporate when I got home and spoke to the representative, telling them what happened to me. She seemed sympathetic and told me she would have the director call me when he was available.

He called me two days later and I again explained what happened. He seemed shocked and upset and told me that what happened was not their procedure. He apologized to me, but I can’t help feeling that this was just not enough. I never want to go back to that store, ever. After years of loyalty, and thousands of dollars I spent there, this occurred and I feel sick about it. Those who live in downtown Phoenix know that we have little options in the way of grocery stores, so now I have to go way out of my way to find another grocery store chain. This is an experience I won’t soon forget, and again, I just feel sick about the entire thing. I really hope those employees are dealt with, because that manager and those employees were simply in the wrong.

Original review: May 6, 2018

While waiting to put my groceries on conveyor I let the man in front of me know he had room for his 24 pk. of bottled water, she then gave me the most awful glare. Then as we waited again Manerva asked me in a rude manner if I was ok. I responded, "I dont' know. We'll see." Meaning depending on her further attitude and level of customer service. It didn't get any better in fact I thought it necessary to let her know her customer service was awful and at that point refused service instead of trying to remedy my complaint. Then I asked to speak to the manager, she called someone then I waited 3 mins when she received a call. They extracted their info and I was told the manager went to lunch but I can wait if I want. I let them know how cowardly it was not to have anyone I can talk to. Then I left and went to Albertsons.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Safeway-3902 Washington Blvd, Fremont CA. I was at the deli on 5/4/2018 around 5pm and was being helped. A Asian lady screamed "water" near the in window for ordering-sandwiches. This staff (** lady with glasses) screamed from the other side "you can say please, **!" The staff gave her a bottle of water from the fridge and the customer had her money out to pay. Then the staff yelled "you're still standing here? You can go to the front because I'm too busy." The customer did not understand and stood there, again, the staff starting yelling and mumbling, the customer then left the counter and left the water. I was shocked! The deli was busy but everyone deserves respect even if you are having a bad day.

I work at the Health Center across the street from the Safeway store and never had I seen this kind of treatment. We (health center) deal with underprivileged people everyday with bigger issues. Also, as a ex-Safeway employee for 10 years, I think this staff should be fired. Please keep in mind that excellent customer service in the retail industry is an absolute necessity. Without the right people on your staff, you’re not going to be able to maintain and grow a successful, and respected business.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Pacific Avenue Stockton CA 95209 - This staff member's name in question is Matt. I have been shopping at Safeway since 2012 diligently and have never had issues with returns until today when I decided to return some items and was faced with Matt. He told me to make sure to bring a receipt next time and I told him I never had to produce a receipt since I’m a club member, all he needs to do is call the member number and verify the items because I cannot guarantee I’ll be holding on to every receipt I get for each purchase. And his eyes got wide and he got really upset and started raising his voice saying, "How dare you challenge me? I work here and I’m telling you to come with a receipt next time."

I stood my ground and said, "I can’t guarantee that, and please don’t talk to me like that, who do you think you are screaming at?" Next thing I knew he called security and said, "I want you out of my store, I’m the manager" and I told him he shouldn’t be dealing with customers with that attitude. He said “get out of my store” and security cams and told me to leave. "Leave now! That’s the door!" I have never felt so humiliated in all my life. And I have since filed a complaint with the cooperate Office. No customer deserves to be humiliated over nothing. Just watch out for this guy called Matt. He has a temper and an ego that is very unfit for customer service.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Safeway in Auburn is usually a great store... unless Cindy is helping you. She is ALWAYS very rude, unfriendly and constantly unpleasant. She never smiles, she is very short and stern, and half the time doesn’t hand out monopoly tickets unless asked. I’m surprised she hasn’t been fired yet!! She has terrible customer service on every occasion and makes me not want to shop at Safeway.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have used Safeway's delivery service for years. Tomorrow's will be the last. The prices have suddenly gone through the roof. $4.09 for a half gallon of milk and that is just one of the examples. About 90% of my order, things I've ordered for months, was strangely and ridiculously overpriced. I will not be gouged and will find another service.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I went in (Safeway Willow Pass) on 04/10/2018 to pick up Western Union. I was waiting at the customer service desk for at least 30 min. One of the front end managers came over and saw that I was holding a Western Union paper and said "OH **! I DON'T HOW TO DO WESTERN UNION." Then she said, "Hi. I'm sorry but I don't know how to do Western Union." So I asked for the store manager and the assistant store manager Maritza or Sam. Her name tag says Maritza but the other lady called her Sam. The assistant store manager don't know how to do Western Union. So I asked her, "There's not a single person in this store can help me right now?" and she said, "No. I work for Safeway company and something so simple not any manager or employee can help me with it." I asked her, "How did you guys become managers?" and she just rolled her eyes and walked off. Embarrassing!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I visited Safeway on Stevens Creek and Lawrence on Sunday, April 8, 2018. I visited the meat department and I met “Sam”. He gave me an excellent service. Because of him I recommended to all my friends who are all “meat/beef eaters”. He deserves a 10/10.

Original review: March 31, 2018

My Safeway grocery delivery experience has been the worst customer service I have encountered. They sent the wrong order. They didn’t substitute items or try to contact us via email, text or phone that they wouldn’t be able to deliver several items ordered. The worst part is over 2 days & three phone calls in which I held on the line for over 20 Min. each. time; only once did someone answer. They really could care less. I won’t ever use this service again.

Original review: March 11, 2018

It used to be easy to place an online order for delivery. Now Safeway has added unnecessary, confusing features that just slow down the process. What I used to do in one click now takes me 2-3 different clicks. I'd like to know who the 'genius' is who thought that adding a lot of useless choices would enhance the shopping experience. What used to be a streamlined, efficient website is now a chaotic mess. Back to Mollie Stones for me! The 'new' Safeway website is a waste of my time.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Confusing and difficult to signup (said I was already signed up which I wasn't, then sent me to Vons???) Home food delivery app does not allow you to place an order. Prices are high. Customer Service does not answer, line is always busy. Safeway IT is nonexistent. Take Uber to WinCo.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Easy to find what you need and employees are very helpful. Store is very clean. Cashiers are very friendly and check out is efficiency. Produce is very well stocked with fresh vegetables and fruits and bakery always has fresh baked goods.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Safeway is a great store. The meat is fresh and if I need help I can find someone to help me. The store is very clean and the cashiers are very friendly.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Love the Just for U program. Cashiers are very friendly and helpful and the store is always clean. Tried Kroger's - Fry's and disappointed with their unfriendly (rude) cashiers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Safeway's selection of packaged foods is very good, but their meat prices are too high, and cuts of meat selection could be better. My biggest complaint is with the lack of checkers at high volume customer times. I am disabled and standing in a line for ten minutes or more is very painful and tiring. I have had to simply lay down my purchases and leave on such occasions.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I ordered a large order of grace rose on Saturday for delivery on Sunday. An hour before my scheduled delivery time they said my card was declined. Three more cards they said were declined. All accounts are good with plenty money available. I even called my different banks and they said they weren't declining them. I spent two hours being hung up on, being out on hold, transferred to voicemail only to be told it was too late I had missed the delivery truck and would have to reenter my order. Unbelievable.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Over the past several years I have noticed, far less food and brand selections, more overpriced items like flowers and gadgets. But love that there is more organic foods, employees are nice, some stores have been remodeled.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

The store is always clean! If you are standing looking at a product, someone usually comes by and asks if they can help. Excellent Service and friendly.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

The quality of their selections are very good. In our area Safeway on a day to day basis has the best prices on the things we buy regularly. The quality of the meats are as good or better than the other supermarkets in the area.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

The stores in my area are Safeway, Costco, Fred Meyer, Winco, Mega Foods and Walmart. If I need groceries and hard-line items, I shop at FM. If I just need groceries, I'll go to either Winco or FM. If I need fresh baked breads, I go to Safeway. If I need specialty items, I go to Costco. I rarely shop at Walmart or Mega Foods. Safeway is probably the most expensive store out of all the above. I always shop weekly ads too, so whatever store has what I need/want, I go there first.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Safeway is the only market within five miles from here. First shopping center is the AFB Commissary; second is Safeway. First thing I look for is High Fructose Corn Syrup; second is aluminum. Employees are always friendly and helpful.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Store is usually clean but very bad lighting. I can't shop in areas that have the lower ambient lights. Prices are comparable and friendly/helpful employees.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

This store purchased western Safeway stores two and a half years ago. It took them most of two years to get the computer up and running successfully at point of sale, and then they hadn't entered the correct SKUs for tons of items. Entering the store one feels the tension. No one there is happy. The Financial Post has reported major financial losses here. They have removed a lot of national brands, that doesn't sit well with consumers! In exchange for their own products. And those are not as good as those made by Safeway. I understand that eventually the markets will move to all packaged goods in their stores. Not pleasant to shop there. I have lived in this area for 44 yrs. These are the feelings of most. There's more... Very sad.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Expired items on shelves, have to look at dates to insurance. Not stocked well. No help when looking for something or trying to get something on high shelves.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

The store carries just about everything I need and want. Lately they stopped carrying my favorite soda. I contacted them regarding this and they ordered in my soda and held it for me to pick up. But we still don't know why they are not stocking it regular.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

The staff has been very helpful and courteous. The bakery has some good items but overall not very good. The meat is overpriced. The produce and deli are this store's best features.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Staff is very helpful. Good selection but prices are higher than other groceries in the area. Some of the local groceries carry locally grown vegetables, which are usually fresher.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have been shopping at Safeway for many, many years and find the quality of the better products there are always dependable. Produce is fresh, meats are good quality. There are very few things I need that they do not have on their shelves.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I am in a remote and economically challenged area of California and Safeway has always been good in food quality, price, service and steadiness which are all important to me.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Albertsons is my local brand in the Safeway chain. I like the chain's natural and organic Products but would like to see more. Good quality and deals on meat. Pricing is competitive, store is always clean and consistent quality.

Safeway Company Information