3.52/5

570 Safeway Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 26, 2019

Most of the time this store is a good place to shop, sometimes they have a hard time getting enough product to cover their sales. I had a bad experience once when the t bone steak I bought had the filet removed on the three steaks behind the top steak. I let the store know how wrong this was, but I never heard back from them!!! Like I said most of the time my experiences are good. They carry a good variety of products. All of the employees work hard to take care of the customers.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I have been using this pharmacy for almost 6 years and truly love the people who work here. They really care and always make me feel so welcome. I even moved further away, but kept going to the same Corona Safeway pharmacy, because I couldn't find that good of service anywhere else and trust me, I've tried.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I love using Safeway for my prescriptions. They have automatic refill and notify me by text messages when my prescriptions are ready. There is usually either no wait time or sometimes there are a few people in line, but it's still good.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Fuel bonus points keep us going back. We also shop at several other markets, as we try and get the best value for our dollars. Safeway stores are often set up in similar fashion but often there is enough difference between stores to cause some delay in finding what is needed. Checkers sometimes are lacking skills but the long time checkers are very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I’m so sad to read about all the bad experiences others have had with Safeway home delivery. My husband and I have used this service for several years with a 98% positive outcome. Maybe it is due to our weather. Safeway delivery saved us many many times and we rely on their good service since we retired and have more than our share of bad days. Good luck to all of those living in cold climates, we retired here from Missouri and completely understand the difficulty of delivery issues in the winter months. Thank you Safeway for making many of us very happy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?

Original review: May 21, 2019

I purchased a hot chicken and it was the worst I’ve ever tasted. It says roasted but it was more of a boiled chicken. No flavour at all. I’ve purchased the cooked hot chicken at superstore and I’ve never had one complaint about it. Safeway please check how these full chicken are being cooked. Ruined my dinner.

Original review: May 19, 2019

We ordered online earlier. We have no food in the house as we work a lot. We ordered a drop off for today and somehow it switched to tomorrow. We called customer service. They said it will be delivered tonight 5/18/2019 between 7pm and 8pm. We called customer service ten minutes before 8pm to ask where our food is. It is now 8:20 pm. Still on hold. I have to work 12 hours tomorrow with no food from 6 am to 6 pm. Very dissatisfied with the service and delivery. We will not do this anymore. You all have lost a valued customer.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I tried to fill a valid prescription from my doctor, only to be told that since I was trying to use a coupon, one they previously accepted, that I had no choice but to pay the full 800% more price because it was a controlled substance. Lets put this into perspective. If the the medication only cost $10, and the coupon was for $9. It would be a no go, because apparently, the motivation for Safeway's pharmacy is to dissuade people from medications A LICENSED DOCTOR HAS PRESCRIBED. But if I pay the $10, or in this case, $800 dollars, then everything's fine and dandy and there's no need to "dissuade" the customer. Why do I smell a class action?

Original review: April 19, 2019

The Safeway I have been going to but will not anymore is in Newberg, Oregon. It is small, it is often hard to get normal items there that are available at other places such as certain hot sauces, and produce. The line is always long and hardly ever do they bring another person to help check out customers. They just have one long line. My last trip I just had 3 different people tell me 3 different spots to get an egg dying kit for Easter. All 3 were wrong and rather than track it down if it was in fact in the store I just decided to check out and NEVER COME BACK! That was of course after waiting in the express lane for about 15 mins where there was 5 people in line and one checker. The sad thing is that this is the way it is everytime. Without fail. I am done with you Safeway!

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have used the Safeway Home Delivery service since December of 2013. I appreciated the convenience, was happy with the service, and have never made a complaint. Until my last delivery, over a month ago. The driver showed up angry, and erratic. I was actually afraid of him, and couldn't wait to get him out of there. I called Safeway customer service and was told I would receive a call from the driver's operation manager, who would ask me some questions, etc. I never received that call, and haven't heard from Safeway since. So, despite my dependence on the service over the years, I will have to find another alternative. I was a good and lucrative customer for Safeway over the years. I received over 70 deliveries from them. I am disappointed that Safeway either didn't take my complaint seriously, or considered it unimportant.

Original review: March 23, 2019

The supposed digital coupons are a total fraud. They led me to buy a product that I wouldn't have normally, since the regular price is just under $9. But the "coupon" had a substantial savings. The coupon didn't work and I ended up paying the full price. Never again. From now on it's Walmart or QFC ONLY.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Unfortunately, Safeway doesn't carry all the grocery products I need available so I have to shop at Lucky's and Trader Joe's as well, or even Whole Foods. Safeway has started locking up toiletries, batteries and many liquor and liquor-related products. Waiting for a store associate to unlock a cabinet is almost futile. For example, I wanted to purchase $2.99 simple syrup but it was locked up so I purchased it elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I purchased a tres leches cake to take to work from my local Safeway 1200 S. Buckley Rd. In Aurora, CO. Two slices into the cake, we find a short, brown hair. I returned the cake to Safeway and asked for a refund. Because I didn't have the receipt, all I got was a sorry and a gift card for $16.99, the price of the cake. I don't plan on returning to this Safeway so the gift card does me no good. I was embarrassed in front of my entire office after raving about how good Safeway's cakes are.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Very upset with the service that was provided by Panther Lake Safeway bakery department. It was my daughter's 1st birthday. We invited people over. We ordered 2 layer Frozen birthday cake and went to pick it up. Luckily I asked the rep at bakery to show me the cake. It was damaged cake. Was tilted. All the icing melted. When I pointed out cake looks so horrible. I can't take that for her 1st birthday. I was told to wait. She will talk to the store manager. I waited for half an hour. Rep returns and says store manager is not available. She can sell me the ruined cake for half price. I have been a long time Safeway customer. I just can't believe they ruined my baby's cake. It was an emergency. I had people waiting for the party. I had to buy 2 regular cake and put frozen figurine on top.

Horrible horrible service. I will make sure all my friends and family are aware of the service and especially birthday cakes not to get a Panther Lake Safeway bakery. To make it even more worst rep at bakery tried to move the cake with her hands to put it straight and her fingerprint was on the cake as well. I just wish they could tell us a day before that cake is ruined. We would have ordered cake from somewhere else. Horrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I ordered Safeway delivery yesterday and gave a delivery window that I knew I would be home. I waited for 3.5 hrs only for the driver to call and cancel last minute. So wasted my time waiting here, then charged me for $100 worth of groceries that I don't know if they will refund. I will never ever again order Safeway delivery and I warn anyone trying to order with Safeway to be careful, they are a fraud!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I have given the Safeway delivery 3 tries now. Each time the service was worse and I won't be using the service again. First delivery showed up as expected, without some of the things I ordered, but oh well. The 2nd delivery never showed up at all. I never heard from Safeway about the reason and called and emailed but received no response. I finally started calling Safeway in the area to find out where my order was. After a very frustrating hour, I was able to track down the store that had shipped my order; they couldn't answer my question about where my order was but sent out my order again, everything in duplicate. (Seemed like a nice way to make amends.)

The 3rd order was short about half of my items. No explanation was given nor was I able to get one. The driver did not seem to have a clue what my order was comprised of and my emails/phone messages to Safeway about this were not responded to, with the net-net that I was charged about $30 for groceries I never received. Never again will I use Safeway delivery. It is supposed to save time and stress! Believe me, you won't be getting any of that from utilizing Safeway delivery.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I ordered 20 cases of coconut water to be delivered. Order# **. It did not show up. 16 hours later I called the customer service number 1-877-505-4040. I was on hold for 58 minutes. A woman from customer service picked up. I introduced myself and told her the order number. She hung up. I sent 2 emails to address listed on my order. Generic automatic response is all I got. This is no way to do business Safeway. I am extremely disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Don't use their delivery service: they rip you off and do not honor the advertised prices. The past three deliveries, I had many items where I was not charged the advertised price. 1st one: overcharge of $6, 2nd $19 and again today (and my the last time shopping with them) $12. The 1st time, I hung up after sitting on hold for 15+ minutes (no one ever picked up). Being $6, I didn't really care too much. Then a month ago, I was overcharged $19. It took FOUR emails before I got a response and they refused to fully refund me (I got $9 back) because they said it was a store issue and I had to go down to the store and talk to the manager. I even provided screenshots of the advertised prices.

Today was the last straw: Safeway overcharged me $12 and I was missing an item. I had to argue with the guy to write up the missing item. I also sent him back with the 8 items I was overcharged for which definitely aggravated him. The convenience was awesome but in the past 5 weeks, but this not honoring advertised prices, making it impossible to get a response from customer service and having to argue with drivers about missing items? I give up. I won't even shop in Safeway anymore - they lost a long-standing customer today.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I stood at the register for ten minutes. An Asian lady was 6 ft away from me putting together rice bowls. One lady was at the far end of the deli busy slicing meat for a customer, and a young lady was making several sandwiches for someone. Five minutes into my wait a lady came up next to me and asked the Asian lady if there were any employees at this end of the counter that could help us. The Asian employee looked at us, again she was only 5 or 6 feet from us both, motioned towards the lady at the other end and turned around and went back to her rice bowls. The customer left.

Five minutes later, a total of ten minutes the lady making sandwiches looked at me and asked what I needed and I responded with, "I just wanted to pay for my hot chicken wings. They were already packaged so I only needed to pay.” She told me she couldn't ring me up from this register, that I had to go up front. I said, "And this lady 5 to six feet away from me couldn't tell me that in ten minutes of standing here. She knew I was there but never said one word.” Think about that. I stood there for ten minutes right next to her, and I am a commanding figure. Six ft tall, 220 lbs, with an athletic figure. She knew I was there. No doubt about that. And all she had to do was tell me that she couldn't ring me up there. But let me just stand there.

Then, feeling so happy, I had to go stand in another line to check out front. I can't tell you how upset I am. It wouldn't be printable. And since Safeway does not have ANY customer service, that is the last time Safeway will get a dime from me. I'll go to any Safeway store again. And the reason this one time seals their fate is because it's not the first time I've had problems with Safeway, and reading all these reviews made up my mind. Bye bye Safeway.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We ordered our some basics online for the first time (and last) as we were coming in from a transatlantic flight late at night. Some delivery had arrived when we got in, half of it belonging to someone else. We tried to call Safeway to correct the mistake feeling sorry for the person still waiting for his/her delivery. Nobody answered the phone and after 20 minutes we gave up. The next morning, when we wanted to cook some eggs, it turned out that three of the twelve were missing and one was broken.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I purchased two Cheerios cereal. Had just for you. 99 cents each. Had a manufacturer coupon for $1.00 off if you buy two. I bought two. I guess my $1.00 off didn't work. Told Terri at customer service. “Oh I was wrong!!! It always worked before” I told her. “No you can't get your dollar back. Ok I will call manager.” She said, “Here comes someone who will know.” Ok I show the other girl my phone. She told Terri I was right. Terri said she was wrong too and proceeded to check other people out. After Terri left to find someone who would agree with her and it's been a half hour she finally gave me my $1.00. This is Safeway!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Just went to Safeway in Eureka, CA., Store No. 2908 on Nov 1. The cashier was friendly and helpful. When it came time to pay the balance due of $72.49 is when the trouble started. My mom who is a active 89+ senior citizen was told her check was declined. Cashier called for assistance and was not able to complete the transaction because she did not have recent history of writing checks. She has a Safeway card and proper id. (She is a 60 year resident of Eureka and a long time customer of Safeway.) She was asked to go to the customer service. The young man indicated he got no help when he called somebody up the chain. My mom felt humiliated and frustrated by this experience!

Simply, there was no reason to put her through this experience. She also noted there were no nearby chairs for those who need to rest. Yes, there were a few chairs in the Starbucks area or outside opposite end of store. Because of age and health conditions this whole experience has angered her and made her ill. She also felt discriminated against because she does use a computer or smart phone she can’t bring in digital coupons for items in the store. There is a large portion of society that do not use a computers or smartphones, so digital coupons aren’t available. At least, this store owes my mom a apology for making her stand waiting for nearly 20 minutes, and embarrassing in front of people waiting in line.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Why does the store location in Anchorage Alaska, the Minnesota/Benson Aurora Village Carrs, does not allow returns from other Carrs locations, even with a receipt. It is very frustrating. I purchased some supposed to be fresh fruit and it was rotten, it was purchased from one location and the store told me to take it back to the store I bought it from, instead of just taking it back and giving me my refund. Now I have to drive out the way to go back to that store and I don't see why.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

As a customer with my 10 year old son, I witnessed and felt intimidated by a Safeway manager (Edwardo) who shouted across the deli and isle to an employee that was helping me. In a dominating and aggressive manner, Edwardo crosses his arms and thrust out his chest when he shouted “what, we make customers get their own bread bowls now.” A nearby employee shushed him in reaction to his outburst. The manager maintained his dominating body language and stared at the deli employees until my transaction was finished. I have never seen a manager try to belittle an employee by bullying them In front of customers. His behavior was nefarious enough to warrant termination and legal ramifications by the female employee he was harassing. We teach our children to not bully. Clearly, Safeway management needs the same lesson. Bullying employees is intolerable— especially in front of customers!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

SAFEWAY NOT READY TO PROVIDE GROCERY DELIVERY SERVICE. I paid for and scheduled a grocery delivery on Friday 10-5-18 for today Monday 10-8-18 between the hours of 1:00 -2:00 pm. I am disabled and had to schedule this specific time because my son would be here to help me receive the grocery order. The delivery did not come and no one from Safeway called to let me know the order would be late. When I contacted the 1-800 number for grocery deliveries, I was told I would not receive my order for an additional two hours at approx 4:30 or 5:00. I was not contacted by anyone at Safeway to let me know. Very inconvenient for me.

I tried Safeway but will not use Safeway again. I just spoke with the delivery person from Safeway in Superior and was told he had two orders ahead of mine. I live in the city of Denver and I asked why he was delivering from so far and he said that the closest Safeway on Third and Broadway (the closest to my address) is out of my delivery area. Safeway constantly and consistently sends me e-mails for grocery delivery and this is how they treat their customers!! THIS IS REALLY BAD BUSINESS. I WILL SHOP AT KING SOOPERS OR WALMART FOR DELIVERY.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

1ST: THEY DON'T GIVE YOU A TRACKING NUMBER. ONLY AN ORDER NUMBER (that's a red flag).

2ND: THEY DO NOT DELIVER DURING THE SPECIFIED TIME (instead of your groceries coming during the window of time you selected, they'll either be 4-5 hrs late or you'll have to call their customer support number just to figure out where your food is at).

3RD: INSTEAD OF SENDING A TEXT/EMAIL TO LET CUSTOMERS KNOW OF THE DELAYS, THEY WON'T TELL YOU ANYTHING (you will literally have to sit on the line for about 20 -30 minutes to talk to a customer rep, where they'll try to convince you to reschedule). People have busy lives, and to assume that we are the ones inconveniencing them when we paid for our groceries to be here a certain time, is TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

4TH: YOU'LL BE WAITING AT LEAST A WEEK BEFORE YOU GET A REFUND (if you don't get it within the week you'll have to call their third party support center for them to expedite your money back). I will definitely not order with them until they get their online delivery service together and I will definitely let all my friends and their friends know, not to do it.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Used the delivery app for the first time and my order never came, never got a call or email. Called customer service, 50 minutes of being on hold with no answer. I even emailed customer service and haven’t heard anything back. Called this morning, was given the runaround, “the manager isn’t here”, etc etc. Called again when he was supposedly there, “he’s on the floor. I’ll have him call you”, and then was informed the delivery driver had noted I wasn’t home. In the notes I put that they needed to call me- I live in a gated apartment complex and they would need to be let in. My fiancé was home the entire delivery window and I never received a call.

Where is my refund? Where is my call or email that they weren’t delivered? And why do I have to run around in a giant circle just to get this righted? Still waiting on the correct manager to call me! I cannot believe how unprofessional my experience has been, nevermind the fact I was forced to stay home during the window of time I expected my delivery, which had items that were intended for dinner, so I couldn’t run to the store to pick up the items instead! Really nice, Safeway. Glad I paid for delivery that never came, couldn’t make dinner, and still have my money being held hostage. Where is the accountability?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

This is the second time I have ordered delivery from Safeway with a no-show and no explanation. It seems like the drivers don't feel like doing it, so they don't. Called customer service, they couldn't get in touch with the driver or the store. No one bothered to inform me my order wasn't coming. No apology, just offer to cancel and wait for refund. Last time it took almost a month and I had to call twice to complain. I suspect the delivery service is a scam to inflate monthly earnings reports. They probably only deliver 10%-20% of the orders. If I'm wrong, prove it, Safeway, release documents showing the percentage of orders fulfilled. Losers.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

My First and LAST Safeway Delivery Experience: This was my first time using Safeway’s delivery service and I am really amazed by the INCOMPETENCY of the service. 1st Issue: I placed an order through Safeway App yesterday. I scheduled the delivery for Wednesday, 9/12/2018; 8:00 am - 12:00 pm. The delivery driver showed up at 2:15 pm. 2nd Issue: I would have been ok with the timing, if they delivered the right order. Out of the 10 items ordered only 3 were found to be correct. I did not even receive 7 out of 10 products, I had ordered. Furthermore, whatever item I received were not in right quantity. For example: I had ordered 8 bananas, I received 5 instead.

3rd Issue: I called the customer service (877-505-4040) and I was placed on hold for several minutes. Next time I called, I put my name on automatic call list. After 12 minutes, I got a call back from Safeway and again; I was placed on hold. After several minutes of waiting, the call got connected but no one spoke on the phone. Instead the call hung up. Finally, I decided to call my LOCAL store. The lady answered the phone told me “this issue is handled by .COM section and she is going to transfer my call to them”. And again you guessed it Right... I was placed on hold and couldn’t get in touch with anyone.

I called the store again, spoke to the same lady and she told me the person in the .COM section is not available and call again later. I have also sent an email to deliverysupport@safeway.com [I haven’t got any response yet]. I am hoping someone will soon answer my email and refund the amount for the products I didn’t receive. Finally, I see the delivery service as the way to save my time. If I have to spend several hours to connect to customer service and track the missing items; this defeats the purpose of using the service. I would like the refund and I won’t be using this service again!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

First the good: Driver arrived a few minutes after the start of the pickup window, and was courteous enough. Now the bad: I had ordered several bags of red grapes. Many of the grapes that I received were rotting, smashed, unripe, and the ones I ate tasted awful. Nearly every grape in one bag had to be thrown out, as it was simply inedible. I had just previously been to this same store last week, and picked out delicious grapes. I am unsure why the packers cannot make this distinction.

The frozen seafood I ordered felt like it had been sitting out for a few hours. This was not as big of a deal as the grapes, as I was able to immediately transfer the food to my freezer. I am unsure what the procedures are for the packers, or if they have freezers or coolers within the trucks? I e-mailed Safeway a few days ago about my experience, and received the "we will be in touch with you", but to date have not heard from them. Maybe it's just common sense to not order any fruit or veggies - really any food that can be handled directly by packers who do not have oversight, and may not follow proper procedures like hand washing or choosing ripe enough, quality items.

As I dislike going to the grocery store, I will probably use their service again - but not for fruit or veggies. Also, depending on their response (or lack of response) to my e-mail, I will be chomping at the bit to give Amazon Fresh a shot once they are up and running in my area. Safeway really needs to tighten up their procedures, and attention to detail, if they want to retain customers long term.

Safeway Company Information