2. Shopping
  3. Grocery Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.01/5
Based on 1,149 ratings

Safeway Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I've been ordering groceries for delivery to my home since March & found the Safeway site user friendly + I like receiving a hard copy receipt. I'm especially pleased that even though there are 3rd party drivers, I always have my request honored to have my items delivered by the refrigerated truck, due to the concern for my perishables. On top of that... the driver that's delivered to my home several times is very polite & helpful. Once in July, post Eye Surgery, I wasn't suppose to bend my head down to pick up anything, so he kindly brought in my groceries & set them on the sofa for me. Plus, he's always met the delivery window time. The service is very reasonable & has been a peace of mind during this pandemic.

Original review: May 17, 2020

The store was clean and everywhere, hardworking masked employees were restocking, helping customers, and spreading their upbeat, positive attitudes. Martha, my cashier, rang my order up efficiently yet still was able to greet me warmly and treat me with kindness and respect. This store is superlative in the dedication and effort of the employees. Brilliant job! I cannot say thank you enough.

Get buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

They have everything I want and need. The store employees are very nice and helpful. The prices are competitive and I like the rewards I get with being a club member!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

They put out an ad on September 2nd 2020 for a Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill for $199. I called at 8:18am on that day to put one on hold. The employee answered the phone and I asked her if they had any of the Z Grills Wood Pellet Grills and after a few minutes on hold she came back and said yes. I asked if I could put one on hold and I would be in after I got off work, she said no problem. She took my name down and I thought everything was good. I showed up at the Clackamas Safeway on Sunnyside road to pick it up.

A manager came over and said there has been a misunderstanding and there are no grills available. They claim their headsets were not working right and the guy in the back only heard the word "pellets" when the girl employee asked him if there were any Z Grills Wood Pellet Grills. I said the words Grills Wood Pellet Grill twice to the female employee, I never said pellets by itself. All they gave me was an apology and the female employee felt bad. If this was a ma and pa shop, they would have made good on their sale. Safeway was dishonest with me and my family and I will never shop there again. So the headset wasn't working properly and missed all the words of Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill and only heard pellets??? A business that has 900 stores with a revenue of 37 billion doesn't care about losing 3 or 4 customers, because 10 more will take our place. I guess greed wins again. What a pathetic company.

Original review: July 8, 2020

It is not possible to terminate an online account with Safeway. They provide NO means, whatsoever. Once you create the account you will receive an endless stream of unwanted emails. They REFUSE to stop sending them. I have tried more than 5 times to stop the SPAM, but it cannot be done. They cannot be contacted other than by telephone. That does not work for me. They claim to have delivery services, but I have NEVER been able to find an available time or day for either pick up or delivery. DO NOT FALL FOR IT. Their delivery offering is a scam to get you to create an account, and if you fall for it, you are trapped for life.

Original review: June 26, 2020

I have been downloading Just For U coupons and offers for several years. Today is the first time in about a year that I checked to confirm I was actually getting these deals as I checked out. Not only was I not getting the Just For U prices, but the check-out person and manager refused to then honor those prices. I am extremely disappointed in Safeway, and they have lost a long-time customer.

Original review: May 30, 2020

To understand what I experienced at the Safeway Gas Station in Tacoma Washington, 56th & G street. Several mornings I arrived at the station 7 minutes before the scheduled opening of station. I respect the ** female statement that she did not open until 8am. On the May 30, 2020, As I used my credit card to insert into the machine, an couple of gentlemen, first was was ** and the Second was ** male.

They were served at the window prior to 8am and I was surprised. The women was outside of the cage, she was wiping the gas machines and spreading them with a solution. She looked at me and return to wiping the machines. When the other two customers walked to the window one seconds after the other, she held a three minute conversation with each person. While I pumped my gas she watched me and give Eye contact as a dead stair. No customer greeting skills without bias. This is the bigotry of denial. And she needs to be trained or release of duty where she has not interaction with humans/ your customers.

Sincerely,
      Lavada

Gold Star Mother 2007

Original review: May 21, 2020

I will no longer shop at Safeway. I just returned from my local store. Customers were not required to wear masks. Following the directional traffic indicated in the aisles was not enforced. Social distancing in line while waiting to check out was not enforced. I saw several Safeway employees that had their masks pulled down around their neck and not over their faces.

My husband just died from Covid-19. I know someone else, a previously healthy young man, whose kidneys were so badly damages from Covid-19 that both kidneys no longer function. This young man now has to have dialysis 4 times a week. This virus is not a joke. It's not a conspiracy. It's not the flu. Previously healthy people, including children, can die from it.

Safeway doesn't care enough for their employees or their customers to enforce safety practices. People are dying. Evidently Safeway doesn't care. I will be shopping at a store that requires everyone to wear masks. I will not shop at Safeway again even after this Covid-19 nightmare ends. I won't support unethical businesses.

Original review: April 27, 2020

On April 27, 2020 at approximately noon after standing in a long line I was denied entry into the Safeway store 4170-00909 (730 Taraval San Francisco, CA 94116). I was told that I couldn't bring in a bag that was on my person. The security guard mentioned that "we don't allow bags in here" and pointed to a filthy side area to place my bag. I mentioned numerous times where it is shown that you do not allow bags into this store. He just told me, "We were told not to allow bags in here." I asked why and his response was a curt, "I already explained. If you don't like it go to another store". I wanted to speak to management and he also refused that.

I took pictures of the storefront and nowhere does it mention bags are not allowed. I tried to make a compromise by telling the jerk I would be willing to place my bag under the cart. He refused. I spent thirty minutes speaking to Safeway Corporate and made a formal complaint. I'm still waiting on a call from management. I felt humiliated as the rest of the customers were allowed entry. I felt angry that I spent twenty minutes in line to be denied entry. I felt discriminated as it seemed as he believed I may have a weapon or been a shoplifter. I will not allow this to happen to anyone else.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I purchased a 1 yr agreement with Safeway.com for home delivery. I have had issues several times with delivery, and one or two good deliveries. Last week I ordered some groceries (nothing in high demand such as paper products; No Toilet paper, gloves, face masks, hand sanitizer). These were ordinary groceries: eggs, soup, chili, ice cream, just normal stuff.

This morning, I got an email informing me that my order was cancelled. Remember, I ordered a week ago. I called them and was kept on hold for 1 hr 15 minutes, and then someone said hello and hung up. Because they have informed me of cancellations in the past (pre CoVid) I wanted to know if it was cancelled or postponed. Later today, I called again. On hold over over an hour and someone picked up. She obviously hates her job. Very rude attitude. I gave her my order number and asked the status. She said, "It says it's cancelled." I told her, "I just got a solicitation from Safeway telling me to sign up for home delivery with no contact!"

Do Not Sign Up for home deliveries. They have a lot of kinks to work out, they do not have enough drivers (even since December) and can cancel your order arbitrarily with no explanation. Right now, they blame it all on the CoVid-19 but I went down to the store (I am at risk and my husband even higher risk group) and they had everything I had ordered. Find another store.

Safeway Company Information