3.44/5
Based on 130 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Safeway

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 30, 2018

524 Safeway Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Easy to find what you need and employees are very helpful. Store is very clean. Cashiers are very friendly and check out is efficiency. Produce is very well stocked with fresh vegetables and fruits and bakery always has fresh baked goods.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Safeway is a great store. The meat is fresh and if I need help I can find someone to help me. The store is very clean and the cashiers are very friendly.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Love the Just for U program. Cashiers are very friendly and helpful and the store is always clean. Tried Kroger's - Fry's and disappointed with their unfriendly (rude) cashiers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Safeway's selection of packaged foods is very good, but their meat prices are too high, and cuts of meat selection could be better. My biggest complaint is with the lack of checkers at high volume customer times. I am disabled and standing in a line for ten minutes or more is very painful and tiring. I have had to simply lay down my purchases and leave on such occasions.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I ordered a large order of grace rose on Saturday for delivery on Sunday. An hour before my scheduled delivery time they said my card was declined. Three more cards they said were declined. All accounts are good with plenty money available. I even called my different banks and they said they weren't declining them. I spent two hours being hung up on, being out on hold, transferred to voicemail only to be told it was too late I had missed the delivery truck and would have to reenter my order. Unbelievable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Over the past several years I have noticed, far less food and brand selections, more overpriced items like flowers and gadgets. But love that there is more organic foods, employees are nice, some stores have been remodeled.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

The store is always clean! If you are standing looking at a product, someone usually comes by and asks if they can help. Excellent Service and friendly.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

The quality of their selections are very good. In our area Safeway on a day to day basis has the best prices on the things we buy regularly. The quality of the meats are as good or better than the other supermarkets in the area.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

The stores in my area are Safeway, Costco, Fred Meyer, Winco, Mega Foods and Walmart. If I need groceries and hard-line items, I shop at FM. If I just need groceries, I'll go to either Winco or FM. If I need fresh baked breads, I go to Safeway. If I need specialty items, I go to Costco. I rarely shop at Walmart or Mega Foods. Safeway is probably the most expensive store out of all the above. I always shop weekly ads too, so whatever store has what I need/want, I go there first.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Safeway is the only market within five miles from here. First shopping center is the AFB Commissary; second is Safeway. First thing I look for is High Fructose Corn Syrup; second is aluminum. Employees are always friendly and helpful.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Store is usually clean but very bad lighting. I can't shop in areas that have the lower ambient lights. Prices are comparable and friendly/helpful employees.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

This store purchased western Safeway stores two and a half years ago. It took them most of two years to get the computer up and running successfully at point of sale, and then they hadn't entered the correct SKUs for tons of items. Entering the store one feels the tension. No one there is happy. The Financial Post has reported major financial losses here. They have removed a lot of national brands, that doesn't sit well with consumers! In exchange for their own products. And those are not as good as those made by Safeway. I understand that eventually the markets will move to all packaged goods in their stores. Not pleasant to shop there. I have lived in this area for 44 yrs. These are the feelings of most. There's more... Very sad.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Expired items on shelves, have to look at dates to insurance. Not stocked well. No help when looking for something or trying to get something on high shelves.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

The store carries just about everything I need and want. Lately they stopped carrying my favorite soda. I contacted them regarding this and they ordered in my soda and held it for me to pick up. But we still don't know why they are not stocking it regular.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

The staff has been very helpful and courteous. The bakery has some good items but overall not very good. The meat is overpriced. The produce and deli are this store's best features.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Staff is very helpful. Good selection but prices are higher than other groceries in the area. Some of the local groceries carry locally grown vegetables, which are usually fresher.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have been shopping at Safeway for many, many years and find the quality of the better products there are always dependable. Produce is fresh, meats are good quality. There are very few things I need that they do not have on their shelves.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I am in a remote and economically challenged area of California and Safeway has always been good in food quality, price, service and steadiness which are all important to me.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Albertsons is my local brand in the Safeway chain. I like the chain's natural and organic Products but would like to see more. Good quality and deals on meat. Pricing is competitive, store is always clean and consistent quality.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I've always found Canadian grocery stores could carry a lot more choices and brands. I cross border shop in Safeway Bellingham because there is a far greater range of choices as well as better quality especially chicken, butter, and cheese.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I like shopping at this store but I have to drive an extra five miles or more to shop there. I usually shop elsewhere because there isn't a Safeway on my route home.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Safeway always seem to have really long lines at the check stands, which can be frustrating at times. But I think that they have hired some people recently since the lines seem to be a little bit shorter.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Repeated pattern of failed deliveries of groceries; drivers leave frozen goods and meat next to door without calling for hours (despite not our instructions NOT to do so). Customer support apologizes and says they will give us a 30$ credit - never arrives and email from customer support denies their representative ever made the offer.

Another driver claimed to have called my cell and gotten no response, "preventing him from delivering groceries", but I was AT HOME and had my phone with me - no missed calls and no knock. Customer support says they rescheduled delivery for next day. Delivery time comes and goes, totally unhelpful customer support agent says delivery was actually scheduled for day after.

Safeway Delivery is competing with a half dozen services in Seattle that are vastly easier to use, have better selection, DELIVER ON TIME, and KEEP THEIR WORD. We will be using one of those from now on - Safeway delivery has derailed plans to cook meals ahead of time three consecutive weeks in a row. Good riddance!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I like shopping at Safeway. They always have fresh fruit and vegetables and the bakery is excellent. Products are of good quality and food products always taste great. I prefer them to Great Value at Walmart. Been shopping there for years and no complaints.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Went to Safeway at 144th Broomfield Colorado. I ordered a pork. Cubed poorly pork. Lethal fat attached. Skin also attached. I'm a disabled. Have carpal tunnel. Today it took me an hour... I paid 22'00 chocolate and fat. Remove all skin. I want my money back. I HAVE SHOPPED AT SAFEWAY FOR 45 years. But I will never ask for SPECIAL cut up again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I submitted my complaint on 11/30/17 and still haven't heard anything. I placed an order on November 28th for delivery on November 30, between 11:00am-3:00pm. I received my delivery at 7:00pm! I had to cancel my doctor's appointment because I needed to receive the grocery today for a handicapped person and I had to wait four long and frustrating additional hours. Upon receiving the bags, the avocado was super mushy that when I took it outside the bag, it oozed out so I had to throw it away. The mandarins that I requested were NOT Organic satsuma mandarins that I had asked and paid for. The ice cream was so melted to a liquid point that it was past the stage of even milkshake consistency.

I am so very disappointed with your customer service and lack of notice at least a day before delivery for the time change. I had to make numerous phone calls to Safeway customer service and the driver as well. After waiting eight long hours and receiving incorrect, melted frozen, and mushy food, I am requesting 100% refund.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

While shopping in Safeway I noticed signage for digital coupons only accessible via an app on a smartphone. I wasn't allowed the lowest price because I don't own a smartphone. It's a marketing tactic that blatantly discriminates AGAINST people who cannot afford the latest gadgets. Thanks, Safeway, for deliberately working to increase the class divide. You made me feel like I don't deserve perks because I'm not good enough.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I've always liked as their perishable departments are usually very good especially their meat department. Their house brands are all very good in quality and selection but Safeway tends to be higher in price. They usually run pretty good ads. I have moved where the nearest Safeway is 30 miles away and I miss Safeway. When I have to go that way near the Safeway, I always stop by as I still have my old Club card!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I like the store a lot however I'm not happy that self-checkout was removed. I like scanning my own groceries and don't like other customers' germs on my food which is what happens when checkout employee does not use sanitizer in between customers.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Overall the store is really good. It's clean, including the restrooms, the staff is very helpful and pleasant to work with; even the cashiers are quite pleasant. The product selection is outstanding, with the exception, of course, for the prices. Safeway has to be the most overpriced grocery in the state. Unless an item is on sale you're going to dig deep. You are probably thinking "Why shop there??" It's because I don't have transportation so I have to walk to the shop, or take the bus. That and being on disability... you do what you have to. However, on the bright side, their sales are usually pretty great; which I guess gives the experience some balance.

Safeway Company Information

www.safeway.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use