2. Shopping
  3. Grocery Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5

Safeway Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Overall I must say Safeway is an excellent grocery chain! High quality products, excellent variety of goods, expansive bakery/deli, some even have sushi bars! Can’t forget the great member only pricing! I've been frequenting Safeway for years and have come to trust their brand, quality and experience when shopping at any Safeway store or their affiliated brands! The only cons I could say about Safeway is not all locations offer Safeway Gas and some deli/bakery items are specific to certain markets ie: California or Hawaii. Fyi Hawaii Safeways have THE BEST quality and variety of Poke. Definitely go there if you’re ever visiting Hawaii!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Fairly competitive price-wise. Have to do some coupon work in some instances as an example: a) have to go through a shopping list for some items on app to select specials you "might buy"; b) in some instances need to scan QR in store on app to get savings. This all would be much more customer-friendly if just included to Safeway Card automatically. Self-checkout pretty good but will not accept Safeway card or credit card from Apple watch as CVS does. Short on actual cashiers. Deli fair. Bakery and produce better than average.

Get buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I would recommend Safeway to others. Their food and meats are always fresh and pretty and you also can catch lots of sales daily. The pricing is affordable. The Deli also has the prettiest lunchmeats in the lunch meat department. The store is always a safe, clean and environment for the customers. That what we look for as being the customer we appreciate the shopping experience. I would go to Safeway every day if I had the money to do so. On a scale of 1-100 our score Safeway at 101 which is beyond the scale.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I will usually order for grocery delivery. I have found that they are usually well-stocked with what I need to order, although with covid their supply of needed items are sometimes depleted. I went to shop in person yesterday at my local store and did find that their supply of paper products was somewhat depleted. Through home delivery I am now trying to stock up on paper products and other items I might need during the coming pandemic.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I've been ordering groceries for delivery to my home since March & found the Safeway site user friendly + I like receiving a hard copy receipt. I'm especially pleased that even though there are 3rd party drivers, I always have my request honored to have my items delivered by the refrigerated truck, due to the concern for my perishables. On top of that... the driver that's delivered to my home several times is very polite & helpful. Once in July, post Eye Surgery, I wasn't suppose to bend my head down to pick up anything, so he kindly brought in my groceries & set them on the sofa for me. Plus, he's always met the delivery window time. The service is very reasonable & has been a peace of mind during this pandemic.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Went to Safeway to buy ham that was on sale and they overcharged Me by $28. 18495 E Queen Creek Rd. Queen Creek, AZ 85142. Store Phone: (480) 279-2733. ConsumerWatch: Safeway Under Fire For Overcharging ..??

Original review: March 26, 2021

When the COVID mask mandate began in Colorado, the Safeway located at 8355 N Rampart Range NEVER enforced that customers wear mask. Despite my complaints to the store managers and the corporate office, nothing has ever been done. They have done nothing to enforce the mask mandate and the district manager has never reached out, as promised. The last two weeks has been especially bad as a man and woman that do not wear masks stood within 1 foot of me at check out one week, and then walked over to me within 1 foot of me in the produce section the next week. Despite my repeated requests for the man to stand back, he did nothing. I now have their picture to forward to the Department of Health; to me, it's an assault wearing no mask and standing within a foot of me, so I was forced to move to get away from him. Safeway did nothing.

Last week, I saw four shoppers without masks, 1 sitting having his coffee at the store Starbucks. Today, there were three shoppers without masks. I have pictures of the situation. Even though I only note the last two weeks, this has been going on since the Colorado mask mandate began. We only shop there, since the start of COVID, as it's remote with less traffic. We didn't shop there before COVID as the store manager/staff are rude, the produce was terrible (dead), and many items on shelves are expired. Why are they allowed to stay open if they don't enforce the mask mandate?

Original review: March 23, 2021

On March 17, 2021, I called Safeway pharmacy to see if they had my pain medication and if my insulin was ready. The young lady hardly spoke English and sounded very confused, so she transferred me to the pharmacist. I told her I did not remember who prescribed the medication but that she could look in the history. She said that there was nothing with no letter T or nothing that indicated I had used any medication for pain. I continued to ask if my insulin was ready, and she hung up on me. Honestly, I feel she did not like my accent and hung up on me.

Now, I am afraid to get my medicine from the pharmacy. I will let my doctors know that I want to change pharmacy, because I am scared she may put something to hurt me, for being a minority. I complained with the store manager and he said that he did not work in that area and was going to report it. He said he was going to transfer me and he hung up on me. I have not received my medication yet and in any occasion I disrespected them.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

The local Safeway in the town where I live only offers plastic bags at check out, the store does not even have paper bags or other alternatives. If you look around Safeway you will see EVERYTHING is wrapped in plastic. They should change their name to "Plastic City". It is obvious there is no attempt on the part of Safeway management to move away from this Plastic Universe. With the Oceans filling up with plastic waste and wild animals on land and in the sea (along with a lot of humans) are eating plastic as if it were food!! Isn't it about time that we should quit using plastic as a wrap for everything? Join me in a boycott of Safeway and send them a message: NO MORE PLASTIC!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

If you have another shopping option choose it! And if you've got ANY other way for getting groceries, do NOT have them deliver. Ordered $70 worth of groceries. They were then charging $9.95 to deliver. They cancelled the entire order except for box of Oreos and bag of chips and one other item and wanted to deliver and charge that delivery fee. This was the second time that I checked what they had in the store and most of our order was actually sitting in there. They just don't care and choose to cancel the order rather than deliver it.

The interesting thing was we also had a Giant delivery - everything arrived with awesome attitude and a smile. Amazon/WholeFoods - Delivered and left early with everything there. ShopRite - Pickup....and guess what? They had the complete order as well. Again, other options - choose them. Why pay extra and not even get your order?

Safeway Company Information