2.85/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 7, 2017

459 Safeway Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I live in a rural area, but it seems that there is never anyone on the floor at Safeway to help you when you need it. I am always having to go to the checkout to ask them for help.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

It was very nice and clean and the service good. Very satisfied the quality of the meats and produce was excellent. The cashiers were very nice and helpful.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

It's the only grocery store in my town and they do not have enough cashiers or help at the deli. You don't always find the product you're looking for and prices can be high. The parking lot needs to be kept cleaner.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I like Safeway, but think that they are overpriced on may items, and the staffing levels are dropping, longer lines at checkout and disgruntled staff due to lack of help.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Home delivery. Safeway was the only grocery store in my area that does so. Having been laid up after auto accident driving has been moot. So delivery was critical. Wish others did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeway?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Love the Safeway weekly deals. Great produce and for the best value. Really recommend it to everyone who is looking for great produce and Ruth awesome prices.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Generally a good experience with Safeway. Often out of stock on sale items. Produce is hit or miss. Prices are on the high side. Customer service is generally good.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Their prices are better than the other stores in town on the average. Some items are way out of reach sometimes. The aisles are clean and their displays are very well organized and reachable.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

A few years ago, Safeway was tops in customer service among grocery chains, but they have let that reputation slip. Where I currently live, the prices are very high and the selection is not that great. They've never been known for the quality of their beef.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

The produce is designed to look lovely and to retain its freshness -- I swear to God - for a month or longer. It all is tasteless. Most of the products come wrapped in plastic. Juice should never be kept in plastic. Most of the products have ingredients that do not occur naturally.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I only occasionally shop Safeway as prices are about 25 to 30 percent higher than Walmart. They do have great meat and a bigger selection of products than Walmart.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I enjoy shopping at the store that I go to. They treat me right every time I go there. I would tell my friends to go there and you would get what you are looking for. If it isn't on the floor they will go in the back and see if they have any more and bring what they do have to the floor just for you and you can't get in no other store.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Every time I check out of the store they check me out wrong. They either don't know what's on sale or the receipt's wrong. They are not putting the sale prices on the items. It just is a hassle every time I go in.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I would like to start in the deli department, and could not tell you how long the meat and cheeses sit in the glass ref. However, I have gotten sick on a number of times eating these products. Also, have noticed that a lot of their sales items are almost outdated. I would like to suggest that you read expiration date before buying these items. This use to be the social Safeway, but now it's more like the mafia.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have lived here 20+yrs and have had the opportunity to see this Safeway improve drastically for the better all around! From management, customer service to availability, employees and presentation.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I do not like the buy 1 get 2 free (marketing Ploy). It's confusing and does not lend itself to people who are on a fixed income! Change the way you market your store or I shall go to another store to shop!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Safeway used to have a lot of bargains in Just4U. That is no longer the case. Don't shop there much because of this. They need to have more specials.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

A large part of the reason I shop at Safeway is because of the Air Miles rewards. I also like some of the brands like their Lucerne dairy products. Safeway select are also generally quite comparable to name brands. Their staff is very friendly & helpful. I do find some of their products pricey compared to other stores so I don't do all of my shopping there.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Good feeling. They are doing good customer service. They help me on floor find item so nicely and they have patience so that why I like it. The food also fresh very good. I like their prices too.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Have been shopping at Safeway and Giant since we moved here 4 years ago and I do miss the Giant Eagle store we shopped at in Pittsburgh. Safeway is an adequate store but entirely unexceptional and their produce, seafood and meat items are pricey. They general do have a pretty strong selection of fresh, produce items. They have bakeries but I am not sure if much of the stuff is actually prepared in the store or simply shipped in from a corporate warehouse. I rate their bakery as sub-par because I have never found many different freely baked loaves of bread and the sale tin is generally minimal. They do a somewhat better job on deserts but even those are nothing special.

They quite often a fairly nice selection of standard seafood items (shrimp, salmon, sometimes other fish BUT it often seems a little old (not exceptionally fresh). (Their best salmon is usually around $13 per pound!). They vie a decent selection of meats in the butcher's case but I have never bought any because I think it's not the best quality. I have bought pre-packaged meats (chicken, fish and beef) and it was edible. One of my main pet peeves with Safeway is that the stores are not well lit and doesn't make to food look good. I go there because it's conveniently located.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

The cashiers at the check-out registers is Safeway's biggest asset. They are very efficient and friendly. They certainly are also good at food and grocery recommendations and letting me know what "Specials" are available.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Safeway is nice since I can get deals through email then send the list to my friend to pick up what is on the list. I also like the fact that you can earn gas points on your purchases which can save a lot in gas.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The one that is in Mill Valley, CA has always been the most important thing to do is to be positive for the future customer service and quality of groceries for the house. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

They used to be quality and quantity. They are no longer the low price leader and some of their prices are actually higher than Bel Air, and the product is not as good. I wish they would go back to being more competitive with their prices.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Been shopping at Kroger for a number years and also worked there. Great company on both ends and I now shop at a flagship store which is great to have a big store available to me.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I know I always get quality meat and vegetables. Never had a bad experience with service or people and always very helpful. Here they call Safeway Vons and it is Yucca Valley.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

These store always have a long wait at the cashier and are not always very clean. I will go out of my way to avoid Safeway. However, this comment does NOT apply to Safeway Community.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The Safeway card is to die for. You get fantastic deals in store. Especially on those beautiful steaks. The store is always clean, well stocked and most importantly great customer service.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The checkout lines are always long and crowded. I don't care for how the store is set up! The prices are always higher than other grocery stores. The employees there have not always been the most friendly!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I've shopped Safeway for many years. I have never had a problem that Customer Service wasn't able to resolve quickly and easily. Selection of food varies by the size of the store. The store I shop in is not a large store but I can depend on fresh food and a clean store.

Safeway Company Information