Publix

Compare Grocery Stores

Research top Grocery Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Friday August 7, 2017 Hurricane Irma is due on Monday. Publix Oak Hill Village Supermarket located at 7628 103rd St in Jacksonville, FL at approximately 12 noon changed the price of a case of 24-16.9 oz. bottles of Zephyrhills Spring Water from the shelf marked price of 2 for $5.00 to $4.99 each. Water should be considered a Necessity not a commodity.

I live behind Publix on Congress avenue. I understand that loading and unloading has to be done but the noise of the workers has increased threefold over the last six months. I would say that sometimes it is at maximum allowed. I have very nicely asked the management to speak to the workers about throwing the metal pieces around, to no avail, they seem to think it is a big joke. This goes on seven days a week, not even a break on Sundays. I have lived here for over twenty years and not had any problems up to the last six months.

I was quite excited when Publix opened a new store in Mechanicsville, VA. Being a non-driver in a public transportation challenged area, when the store personnel answered in the affirmative that they would indeed deliver (I live five miles away) I thought my grocery shopping could become easier, although I already used Amazon delivery. I dutifully set up an account, but when I attempted to place an order, was informed by the website delivery was not available.

I contacted Publix, the local store, and engaged in an e-mail dialogue with Instacart. Although first assured delivery would be made available, Instacart finally told me only if enough people in my zip code applied would that happen. In spite of informing Publix, home delivery is posted in the local store (removed for the moment for a donation drive for Texas). Sorry, excuses and promises of their "free" home deliveries when it is more than likely home delivery will never happen does not do much to dampen my disappointment.

Bad attitude at 5 points location, Wilton Manor, FL: On occasion we all have a bad day and this seems to be the norm for a particular deli counter associate. My upset is more with the management at the store. I have brought this to his attention in the past her attitude maintains the same. This is my local store and the response from management is usually more irritating than useful. They typically dismiss you as you are the problem. So I will no longer be shopping at this location as there are many stores with better management skill and happier people to serve their patrons.

I shop at the Hancock and Route 27 store. I am tired of going to the store to find out the store is out of stock. The excuse I get is the trucks come in at night. This happens almost every time I shop. At least one item I came to get is not on the shelf. The store is too small to handle the number of shoppers. I am also told not enough shelf space. Tired of hearing that too. Perhaps a bigger store is necessary. Maybe Publix needs to get into the 21st century. And take a look at other grocery chains. I have never shopped in such stores with such limited products or the shelf is empty. 9:30 in the morning no public yogurt on the shelf and no jumbo eggs and no blueberries. I too have started shopping for my dry goods at Walmart much much cheaper. And meat at BJ’s much cheaper. I am from NY and I have sticker shock at Publix prices. I don't think we will see things change anytime soon as they dominate the market. Not enough competition.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publix?

Publix bakeries are not listing the nutrition facts that include sugar, cholesterol, calories, saturated fat, trans fat, sodium, per serving (etc.) on their bakery items. Many customers need to have this information. There was a time when the store employee would go online and print it out. They are not doing that any longer either. So please start doing the right thing.

All of the staff at Publix is over and beyond friendly and helpful. The store is clean. The fish market does not smell like a fish market. The produce is well displayed and taken care of.

The Publix store is very clean. No rotten meat or produce odors. A huge opportunity for customer service at its core would be to go to great lengths to provide items that are requested. Knowing you cannot provide every special item, it would be nice to get one. But because I've always been denied or otherwise ignored, I shop at a competitor a little further distance to get what I want and save money.

Helping other people first when I was the next one in line. There are numbers to select from and they are always out or so far behind. I was sitting there & one of the women from behind the counter told someone else to help them, while I sat there fuming. Talked to Cindy or Cindi, manager & she told me I could go online to order my deli stuff. How the hell is that going to get me in the right order to get my meat. Not a very good manager. Love to shop here - NOT. Love to save here - NOT. Didn't know there were this many people UNHAPPY SHOPPING WITH PUBLIX. I have a whole list of other issues with Publix but this will suffice for now.

Every time I go to get a sub one, I ask for Publix brand of roast beef sub. I always get an attitude that they have to carve more roast beef because they ran out. The employee behind the counter (2 stores) Okeechobee Blvd AND Community Ave in West Palm Beach FL. Talk and talk and TALK to some customers like their best friends. Meanwhile I've been waiting for almost a HALF HOUR to get a sub THEN when it was my turn to finally order a sub the employee tells me I'll be right with you. I need to help these customers who want hot food. They ** came up after me.

FINALLY another (I guess she got off her break) to help. When I got my sub 45 min later!!! The first deli employee was STILL talking and gabbing to the customers he jumped me over. Maybe because I'm **. Seems like Publix hires a lot of lazy Island employees that don't even have a green card. And only serve their own kind!!!

And what the hell happen to your hot chickens!!! Almost $8.00 for a tiny, dried out bird with no taste. And even the fresh meat, like steaks, chicken, hamburg, chops are over priced and taste old, everything in the store is over priced. I shopped at Publix for years. Now I shop at Winn-Dixie. The meat is fresh and the prices are affordable. My mother works at Publix and buys her meat at Winn-Dixie. I also shop at Sam's Club. They have the best hot roasted chix. They're big, plump, and juicy... For only $4.95 Members wait in line to get them as soon as they come out of the oven. I can get 3 meals out of them. Sorry Publix, you used to be the only place I would shop... NO MORE.

I was in the Ballantyne, NC Publix and the little manager, Jason, was very rude when I asked him if he had any fresh strawberries in the back, as the ones displayed, looked bad. He turned and gave me a dirty look and said, "No" and proceeded to walk away. I refuse to deal with him when I see him in the store working. I have also overheard him talking down to other employees on a few occasions, which was also rude. It is disappointing to know that Publix would hire someone with poor management skills. I thought they were a better company than that. Harris Teeters definitely has better customer service skills.

In Marathon, you have not one but two choices on where you can buy meat. Winn-Dixie and Publix. Throughout my shopping life I've chosen Publix over the other store due to the newness per se, just seems to look more inviting. Been shopping at Publix all over FL., GA., and S.C. Due to my work. Recently I had an encounter with the meat manager about the amount of fat on their prime cuts of meat (N.Y. Strips, Filet, Lamb chops and rack of lamb). His response (now this is the meat manager) that is how they make a profit. The meat has more the usual fat especially when it's on sale. I contacted someone in headquarters and was advised that he would check into the issue.

He also claims Publix has a policy that there shouldn't be more than one eighth allowance of fat on their meat and he would correct the issue and when he came down he did. But that doesn't help for the local people in Marathon that have been overcharged for meat in the past and paid for fat. I'm only one consumer and what about the numerous others and the tourist that shop for meat. I know when that manager takes home meat for dinner, there is one eighth or less fat on his cuts. Please beware and bring it to their attention. Let's stop paying for useless fat due to the restrictions on where we can purchase meat.

As far as the rest of the store Grade A! The produce dept. helps you, the stock personnel are always helping you and the checkout personnel is great. Too bad they have a meat manager who is more concerned with profit and his own personal gain over the consumer and to line his pockets with the hat’s sweat of others by giving them a lesser quality of cut. Remember, one eighth of an inch is Publix's policy. Don't expect anything more. My review is with the meat department. You can't specify or separate it from the whole store experience.

6/13/17 I went to the Publix at Indian Rocks Road and Walsingham Road in Largo. I have shopped there for the past 16 years spending 150 to 250 per week. I will never go back, after waiting 20 minutes in the deli while 6-7 employees prepped foods, chatted amongst themselves, helped other customers, nibbled on lunchmeat and cheese. The lady in front of me was angry. She stated, "I asked for a pound. You asked me that three times and I told you three times." The young man stated, "we get distracted". She continued her lengthy order while others gathered. I made eye contact with several staff and held my ticket prominently in front of me.

When someone finally decided to offer assistance, she asked if I had ticket 71. I had 75. No one else had 72-to 74. She then turned her attention to the ticketless man who just approached the counter and took his order. If the staff had been paying attention to the customers instead of socializing, eating and laughing, I would have received prompt attention. This store has really deteriorated from a customer satisfaction perspective. I went up the street to another store where I was treated as a valued customer.

I was stopped today at the door and told I was stealing and asked to empty my pockets. I had nothing and had took nothing and did empty my pockets showing all I had was my phone and they still were not satisfied and they were also specific about pockets and were WRONG. It was unnecessary. Embarrassed and am mad about the accusations as I shop there daily and spend 40 to 50 a day there.

Publix had a sub on sale but they have no bread again so they sold me a wrap with half the meat at the full price of the sub. I like to tell you that this is the first, second or third time this overcharging to the customer because it's a poorly-run deli has happened. I would love someone from upper management to even look at the deli on closed-circuit TV and tell me have the cashier ever been open. I know I'll Publix's aren't run like this. This is been in my community for a long time but now I long for a Safeway because this Publix is changed.

I have been shopping at Publix for many years. I always bragged about the excellent customer service, stores are always clean and good quality food. I shop at my neighborhood Publix (7835 Gunn HWY) so much some of the employees even know my family and I by name. Today changes everything. I went to Publix to get a couple of snacks. As I am approaching the cashier his name ** he said "Hi" and his next sentence was "You're paying with EBT you need to go to the next line" then started laughing with the bagger. I purchased wine and he did not even check my ID. I am in my early 30s and look like late 20s. I thought they are suppose to card everyone that looks under the age of 40.

I was extremely confuse and offended. Because I am young and ** he assume I must be on welfare. What he's not aware of is I am a register nurse and a student at USF majoring in biomedical degree. There is nothing wrong with welfare if you need, thank God I am fortunate enough to not need it. This is prejudice and I notify Publix of his behavior and I await on their response. The nerve of this guy to think this is appropriate. I do not need any gift card or anything free from Publix. What I do need is a written apology from the store manager or corporate for this employee's behavior and Dylan ** needs to terminated immediately.

I went to Publix yesterday, I was so happy to find a bin full of cashews, my favorite brand "Planters". There was no sign of "Buy one, get one free", there was a sign of 88cents. I could see the 88c without my glasses, pretty clear. I did not want to be greedy, happily I picked up and with my other items went to the register to pay, I was charged $5.95. I told them there is a huge bin and says 88cents on it. I called the Manager as well and informed that, "If there is a discrepancy in the price you have to give us that item for "free", that is what you claim." I wasn't given it for free, so I took the Manager to show her the bin and the price sign, she said, "this is supposed to go on sale tomorrow, so we are keeping it ready," but, I said "what about the sign, you should mention it, like "SALE starts tomorrow" or something."

The responsible guy saw me point this sign out, he immediately mumbled something and took the sign off, and started saying something I did not understand. He kept smiling, but never apologized for his mistake, or forgetfulness, or whatever, and then I had to go away. "Unsolved Mystery of the cashews." Well, I had to give away my favorite Planters, and come back home. Thanks.

Overall Publix is a clean store. But I have been told that they are racist. Could not believe it until tonight. When I went in the store (Ocala 3050 E Silver Spring) to purchase some ice cream, I had two containers of ice cream, couple lanes open that were back up. The assistant manager (name on the tag) ** was two cashiers away in the customer service dept. I looked straight at him like indicating that the cashiers could use some help. He pick up on it and walk around me to the furthest lane and chose a ** customer that had a big dog food bag. Took care of him, by then I had a lady behind me and he called her over (Yeap she was **). I'm still in line and he walked away... I wonder why. Watch the video 5/3/17, 19:57.

Very very poor customer service. The people in the Palms Crossings store, are all a bunch of cry babies and prima donnas. The manager thinks he is God's gift to the consumer world. Be careful when shopping in this store. The slightest thing you do or say, they make you feel like you are in a concentration camp. The minute you walk in you get stared down, like what are you doing here, no friendly faces. Also why pay their prices and have grief to go along with it. You are better off shopping at the Winn Dixie, at least they say hello with a friendly smile when you walk in.

My son in law worked for Publix in south FL for 15 yrs and the staff was always supportive of him. Then we moved to north FL and he went to work at Hunters Crossing. Big mistake, they did not have any understanding of low I.Q. or special needs people and they push and push and were always watching him until he broke, shame on them.

I find that the customer service at the Publix at the Reserve Shopping Center in Boca Raton is always excellent. The employees are always friendly and willing to help. If there is a pricing overcharge and you show them at customer service, they return your money and give you the item for free. The store is always very clean. On the negative side they charge more for many items in Boca Raton than at other locations for two reasons. 1) They have no competition. 2) They feel that all people that live in Boca are rich and don't care. That is not true. Many communities are middle class and the residents are retired and living on fixed incomes.

When I have the chance, I drive the 12 miles to Walmart (just for the prices because you’re trading customer service). Sometimes I go to Costco and do a large shopping there. I normally buy most of my items at Publix when they are BOGOS or on sale. Their regular prices are outrageous. Here's an example. OUTSHINE FRUIT BARS at Publix sells a box of 6 for $5.65. Costco regular price is 4 boxes or 24 fruit bars for $9.99 or $2.50 a box. The same 4 boxes at Publix is $22.60 which is more than double the price. I'll always shop at Publix but I will be very selective in what I buy.

Publix in Pensacola, FL (Mobile Hwy Location), hiring new cashiers, unfortunately wasn't trained on customer service. The cashier and (Bagger) was determining if they would accept a Coupon!!! I have been going to this store since it opening and have used this Competitor's coupon over 20 times before. Cashier determined I was $5.00 under amount needed, Bagger had calculator out going over my order, (customers behind me rolling eyes) cashier kept looking to her for confirmation they wouldn't accept coupon. Yes, it was very tacky, unprofessional and absolutely the craziest behavior I have ever seen in a grocery checkout Lane. Completely embarrassed in front of the other customers, like I was trying to steal something.

I left the lane, bought additional $10 plus and returned to the same Lane as she held my order. As I returned Cashier apologized and I said "It's a little late for that." Cashier said "I don't think you need the additional merchandise and was going to check with manager." (OMG) I said "Forget it, I have it already in my cart (as all my cold food is hot now due to this circus)..." Bottom line she didn't read the coupon and just made assumptions, this coupon has no restrictions and had no idea what she was talking about or doing!!! We spend between $500 to $700 a month. Wow!!! Lose a customer over cashier not trained, and Bagger needing to know their position not to jump in where they didn't belong!!!

Purchased a watermelon at one of the stores in Pensacola. When I got home cut it in half to find the inside white and slimy. Well since I paid 9.99 for it I took it back and went to the service counter to complain to find out they did not want to see (and asked me not to take it out of the bag - as if he did not want to clean up what he had just sold us). Then the guy took it and put it on the floor then gave me some kind of gift card. I then asked for my money back to be rudely told they do not give back money only gift cards. I guess I could understand that if the product was in good shape and I just wanted to return it but this was uneatable and the website says any money will be gladly refunded. Well you find out it is only gladly refunded if it is under $5.00. They should remove the whole batch from their shelves and take them off the market.

Publix claims for the customer satisfaction that if a customer is not satisfy with an item bought from Publix then Publix can gladly refund for the item. I came to Publix 1591 GA highway 20 NE Conyers GA but the manager refused to let me return the item because it was used. Hello, how could someone be not satisfied unless he uses the item. I called customer service 800# but according to them it's totally up to the manager decision. When I asked about the Publix promising sign the rep said it's franchise policy to put the sign. Which means they have policy to make promise but it's up to the manager if he keeps the promise.

When I go grocery shopping I need to pack up my bags very light because I have multiple sclerosis and have extremely painful nerve pain my hands. The policy is if I say that I would prefer bagging that my wishes get respected. Well tonight, he refused and I said, "It's important for the bags to be very light. Make them lighter than you would define as light." I get my bags to the car and two large containers of strawberries and 3 large containers of blueberries are in one bag. Another bag had multiple, large creamers and additional items in one bag. I asked for no more than 4 cans of vegetables and each one had five. So I was forced to carry these bags and now my pain is flared. If I have a right to bag my own groceries then I don't want to go through a five minute explanation of why. Just respect my wishes as a customer. I'm extremely disappointed that this continues to be a area that is not getting through to the workers. Everything else is run well.

I went to Publix Pharmacy at Veranda Shoppes in Plantation/FLORIDA 02/08/2017 at 4:00 pm (less than 250 ft from home) and with the prescription on hands I asked about ** and I believed that the attendant was honest to provide the best information, unfortunately not. He was attending me and a friend of him called and he said to me to wait a little bit and started to laugh on the phone (around 05 min). I believed he must learn urgently to respect the client because for him his friend is much more important than the client. He said the price is around US$ 52 to US$55 if I don't have insurance and I must wait around 10 minutes to be manipulated. Anytime he informed me that product I don't need to buy with him, he was rude.

I didn't like the way I was treated!!! I picked up my car at home and drove to Target Pharmacy 8201 SW 3rd Street Plantation/Florida (0.7 miles from home) with the prescription and the attendant informed that product I could find on the shelf for around US$22. Of course I bought there and I never more will buy at the Publix Pharmacy. It should be noted that The Publix Supermarket the employees are always respectful, and honest and provide the best information. Thanks.

Ever since my Publix in Prattville made changes in the store, it has gone down hill. I always loved shopping here, but not now. The first thing that hits you is the strong fishy smell. This was one thing that has changed. This is a sign that the fish dept is not cleaning as they did before change. They had plenty of people working, so you didn't have to search the store for items. Often out of stock of advertised products. This has happened to me just about every time I have been in the store, since they changed. They don't want the people stocking to help a customer. This is just a few of the things that are making me search out for other options. The staff for the most part is great. Just don't have enough workers. I can get this kind of service from a big box store.

If there were a zero star I would review as a zero! PUBLIX BY THE MEADOWS #588. For the past several years this Publix has always been low on inventory. There isn't one time that I visit this Publix that I can find all the items I need. You walk down the isles and they are empty. Many times they don't have the milk my daughters drink, juice, snack bars. Either the manager needs to go or retrained on how to always have the stored stocked. A regional manager needs to visit this store to see how shopping is not a pleasure. Very poor customer service in regards to inventory.

Also, there are times that I have gone and they don't even have steaks, pork, etc. If the items are BOGO good luck if you can find them because they run out and do not restock up. Most of my neighbors and I have switched to the Publix on Coral Way since this manager does really know what he's doing. They are always fully stocked, but the bad thing is that it's a bit farther and store #588 is closer!

I live very close to both a Publix and Winn Dixie Supermarkets. I have shopped at Publix since 1992 when I first moved here. My Publix is the Delray Square Shopping Center in Delray Beach, FL. My issue is with their policy at their bakery. I cannot buy FRESH baked bread, same day baked, unless the day old bread in their shelves is sold out. I want FRESH bread and if that is available, why not allow the customers to buy it? Some people don't care, but I do! I buy enough for 2 days. Therefore for me, 3 day old bread is OLD bread. I've tried to explain this to their bakery people, to the Bakery Mgr, and today to the Store Mgr to no avail. They all give me their version of fresh bread. Please! I'm not an idiot. I guess I have to take my business elsewhere.

Being handicapped I am relieved that there is always a cart available for me. I also am pleased for the organic and vegan dairy substitute sections... Please offer more choices. On the negative side the prices are occasionally substantially higher than a nearby competitor such as the cost of So Delicious ice cream made with coconut milk and almond milk and sweetened with a fruit source instead of sugar.

Publix Company Profile