3.59/5
Based on 107 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

382 Publix Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Many years, we have bought 2-3 bags of salad weekly. The past several months, they have been really bad! After we open it, the next day or two, it is soggy and real brown!!! We are so upset with this situation.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Publix is a wonderful store. I had a particularly good experience at the Oakhurst Plaza Store last Thursday. The lady behind the Seafood counter was very friendly and helpful. I purchased the biggest, freshest snow crabs I had ever seen in a fish market or grocery store. She offered to run them under water to defrost for me since I was serving that evening. DELICIOUS!!!

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have been blessed to live in an area where we have a CHOICE of where to grocery shop and am quite dissatisfied with finding a Publix on EVERY corner in FL! I have NEVER seen such exorbitant pricing! "Sale" items are NEVER available and "rain checks", although convenient for the store, are time wasting and consuming for the CUSTOMER! There are always green shirts throughout the store; but finding one knowledgeable is futile! What is the POINT of asking if "you find everything okay" when you're met with complacency when answering "no"?! The number of times my items ring incorrectly in comparison to their aisle tag pricing is INFINITE! When I contest the pricing, it's ALWAYS a spectacle and I'm the one feeling ashamed I kept others waiting and feeling as if it is MY fault; the cashiers are amoeba-like personalities and offer NO apologies for ANY store inaccuracies!

Today, I tried... one MORE time to shop Publix (EVERY one in this town is sorely lacking professionalism and/or customer SERVICE); after 30 minutes of aisle shopping, searching for items apparently now discontinued, and not finding ANY help ANY where... I left the cart with all my items right beside the frozen food stocker who was OBVIOUSLY annoyed I stopped to ask HIM if they had a particular item. I got in my car and drove 18 miles to Aldi's. Even though this trip was longer and cost of gas averaged in, I wound up SAVING $31 on the groceries I WOULD HAVE purchased from Publix. The Aldi cashier was personable, fresh faced, and made ME feel like a VALUED customer. I do NOT value Publix, their blatant complacency, or the astronomical price GAUGING. Perhaps, others simply LIKE paying MORE for identical items AND being treated like a number on their stock exchange.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I requested a sunflower for the top of a chocolate ganache birthday cake and asked that it be as realistic as possible. I was blown away by the exquisite flower that was created! It looks exactly like a beautiful sunflower with each petal perfectly defined. I ordered it from the Powers Ferry Publix bakery in Atlanta, Georgia. Kudos to a great creative team!!!

Original review: June 24, 2018

Publix is not my favorite place to shop. You can never guarantee that if you find a product or item you like that they won’t discontinue it. They take your phone number and tell you they will order what you want, but you grow old waiting in vain for them to call. If you go with a grocery list you can guarantee your shopping list won’t be filled. They always ask if you found everything you were looking for. When your answer is “No,” they shrug-too bad. The Publix at Bee Ridge and Tamiami is the worst of this poor chain. I keep hoping Wegmans will move south.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publix?

Original review: June 14, 2018

On Wednesday, June 13 2018, between 10:00 and 10:30 a.m. I visited the Publix located in 4655 Gulf Blvd, St. Pete Beach, FL 33706. I fell on the floor in hall 10, there was water on the floor and there was no warning sign. I suffered for hitting my right knee. An employee came and only told me, "If everything is fine, you must get up", he never asked me how I felt. My husband and son were in another hallway and they arrived after I was able to get up from the floor. I had a lot of pain. I went with my son to the customer service to demand that they put a warning sign on their floors. They only heard me but they did not offer me any apologies or help. They do not care about the customer. They do not care if an accident happens in their supermarkets... They are negligent.

Original review: June 1, 2018

As a long-time and loyal customer of Publix for 20+ years, I have continued patronizing their stores in spite of an increasing trend of issues which eventually led up to me getting injured in their store during one of my recent shopping trips: they are routinely out of sale items at the start of their weekly sales, difficulty getting help in the deli with long wait times, insufficient lighting in the parking lot, employees that don't speak English and those with no knowledge of brands or where they are located in the store, produce that is either already bad on the shelf or it goes bad the next day. Dairy items routinely past their expiration date still on the shelf, poorly trained employees that refuse to check in back of the store for products out of stock on the shelf, food spills left on the floor too long, dirty bathrooms, long checkout lines, and inflated pricing.

During the hottest time of the year, the temperature of their stores is very very warm the last couple hours before closing time which can't be good for perishables. When I asked about it, I was told that the A/C is on a timer and is either turned off or the thermostat is turned way up a couple hours before closing. At about the same time, they close one of their entrances, so if a person is parked in a handicapped parking space, it isn't very helpful for them to have to walk all the way around to get to their car. It defeats the purpose of having handicapped parking. I have had a large amount of cash stolen, envelope and all, from my purse between the time it took me to pay for my groceries at the register before I could get out of line.

The people who bag your groceries are aggressive as they are quick to pull your cart away from you while your purse is still it, in order to bag your groceries. I have had 3 blouses ruined as they somehow get caught on sharp edges or spurs on the grocery cart, so when the grocery bagger decides to pull the cart away from you to put groceries in it, the blouse gets snagged. I have complained, but the issues continue. While they are flawless about making sure the customer is being charged for every item in a person's cart and on the belt, they often forget to put the items we pay for in our bags. This has resulted in several extra trips back to the store and another wait in line to get the item.

Publix keeps relocating inventory making it impossible to find anything and items don't get restocked timely. Out of stock items remain out of stock for extended periods of time. It is getting more and more difficult to shop at any given time of the day because their staff leaves large carts of inventory unattended, blocking customers access to grocery items. I consider myself a good and honest customer, because there have been times, when I have gotten home and found that items I never paid for mixed in with my groceries. I have made multiple trips back to their stores to return the items for their benefit and it was on my dime (gas money) even though it wasn't my fault.

Publix here in South Florida failed the community when hurricane Irma hit. Hurricane season comes every year, yet last year according to Publix's corporate office, they diverted a large portion of their water to Texas due to Hurricane Harvey leaving South Florida with a shortage of supplies also need by Floridians in preparation for Irma. There was no water to be found at any Publix stores unless you wanted to camp out in the heat from 7:00am til 11:00pm hoping for a shipment. One of the managers at the store told me they hadn't gotten a shipment in 2 days a few days before the hurricane was suppose to hit us. Sadly, many of us weren't able to get any water and After Irma concluded, the government never brought us anything like they had with previous hurricanes.

When Publix reopened their stores in the aftermath of the storm, they made all their loyal customers stand outside in the blistering 95+ degree weather while they let a few of us in at a time. I don't know what they were so worried about because the shelves were at least 50% empty. Publix was very insensitive to their customers during such a trying time. They even stopped giving us rainchecks after we made the treacherous trip there thru debris and waited in two very long lines. One of the reasons I preferred Publix over other stores was because of cleanliness. Unfortunately I can't say that anymore. Over time, I have reported spills and have noted a trend of Publix not addressing spills as promptly as they should be on busy days. They usually at least put a cone next to spills, but it doesn't always prevent accidents from happening.

When the store gets busy and the lines are long, Publix calls everyone up front until the lines of people paying for their groceries have been taken care of. A few months ago on a very busy holiday when the store was packed, I slipped in a very large spill on their floor. One of the other customers tried to warn me, but it was too late. My right Knee which already had issues slid sideways and nearly out from under me with me reaching out for my cart of groceries to prevent my fall, Of course the cart moved too. One of the witnesses close to me offered to get someone to help me from the back (meat and seafood department). Shortly after that, the store manager showed up. I had to ask for an incident report to be done when none was offered. He offered to clean my shoes.

When I took my left shoe off, I accidentally set my foot back down in the spill which others identified as soup, most likely from their hot bar a few feet away, but there was no container on the ground, nor was there any broken glass or any other container next to it. The food on the floor didn't come from the aisle shelf of that aisle. The temperature of the spill (soup) was room temperature, so it had been there for a few minutes, which doesn't make sense to me because the aisles were crowded with people. I stayed in the aisle where I had slipped until the incident report was completed. I barely got around the corner into the next aisle before the pain really set in. I tried to finish shopping, but the pain was too intense and I could feel my knee swelling up and a clicking sensation.

I notified the store manager what was going on, telling him I wouldn't be able to finish my shopping trip. 5 Months have passed and I haven't gotten any help from Publix on pain management, doctor's appointments, or diagnostic tests. Since I had been shopping at the store for the last 20 years, I really just wanted to settle this without legal representation. I was trying to give them a chance, but as it turned out, trusting Publix with my safety and then with accountability and integrity, was too much to hope for. Publix has a policy of only one pay out for settlements. I had no money for medical care, and for 5 months, I have truly suffered believing that Publix would do the right thing, but they didn't. They did offer me a small sum of money which is a joke.

At the same time, they do not feel they are responsible for my injury even though my MRI revealed a complete ligament tear because it was partially torn already and the recent slip completed the tear 100% in additional to a new meniscus problem. I am already disabled. My ACL was completely torn previously. I had it repaired. It was my ACL repair graft reconstruction that had a partial tear, but slipping at Publix completed the tear. This has now put me in the position of having to get an additional surgery I hadn't planned on getting any time soon, because my pain was minimal until what happened in their store. My knee is extremely painful and unstable now since my ACL graft reconstruction is completely torn. A brace had been ordered for me previously to help prevent additional tearing of my ACL graft, but there's no ACL to protect anymore.

Here's the kicker and double edge sword! According to Publix my expenses were minimal and that is part of the reason for the low settlement amount offered. Since Publix hasn't paid for any medical care for me and because my income is so small, that was all I could afford. If I had more money, I would have gotten more medical care a lot sooner. Now, I will have to wait even longer before I can go back to work again. I guess I will have to get an attorney now. I had really hoped that since I was trying to work this out with Publix, they would at least responsibility and be fair, but apparently not. I really needed to go back to work, because I'm don't have enough income to cover my living expenses. I really need to get my health issues resolved so I can work again.

This has cause a major setback for me. All this, and the pain, with no help from Publix. I wish I had gotten an attorney from the start. I can't believe it. During the 5 months that followed, their rep called me and made a point to throw their attorneys up in my face. How could I ever set foot in that store again. It isn't safe there, and they definitely don't take responsibility for not keeping their store safe and clean like they used to. This is how they treat their loyal customers who choose to spend their money in their stores. I just want people to see how Publix treats their loyal customer. I wonder if they have a clue how much money they are going to lose just from not having my business.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Not once but 3 times my Subs orders are never ready to be pick up, had to wait 10 to 25 minutes each time. Shopped at Woolbright. Have the worse deli associates you can imagine. Stay away from this Publix.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I'm a couponer and I always shop at the Mulberry Publix on Shepherd Road in Lakeland, Fla. Lately the manager Carnissa harasses me every time I come in the store. She makes up rules about coupons and when I ask her to show me the policy she refuses. Customer service is number 1. Without customers no money, no jobs. She needs to take a class in customer service.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I decided after the manager's Matt sarcastic attitude that I have beyond lost my taste. To be honest -- one man in the meat department openly told me he was not worthy of any taste. I didn't even talk about what he said to me. And guess what? I never will. It was probably the most disturbing thing that I ever heard anyone say in public. I can't believe it happened at "Publix". It literally was. I have experienced criminal harassment at the store before. Someone wanted to drool in front of candy and move my buggy and shake it in front of me! I have experienced many, many things at this store that were unacceptable.

I hope my review is appreciated. I posted it on Yelp. And also, I posted it on Consumer Affairs. So no one else has a sick bagger drip chemicals on the credit card machine. I also sent an email to the store. I am completely beyond disgust. Unfortunately. I have to say that nothing is going to make “it okay” again at this store. Every time I go in this store, some lunatic tries to intimidate and harass me. And it’s so grotesque that I can’t even talk about what happens at the store. And I never said anything. But I decided to talk to a manager today. After a “poor bagger” decided to start rubbing his sanitizer over the credit card machine. I told the manager that he wouldn’t move. To let me pay and leave.

The “poor manager Matt” said he didn’t know why there was a problem. That a poor bagger wouldn’t move to let me pay. I know what I had to say. I said I was going to write a review. I also told him I deserved thanks. Yes, I told him to try to thank me. Many, many people at this store intimidate and harass you. One almost bumped into me at the same store on the same visit. I was afraid he was going to stroke my shoulder. As one “poor bagger” decided to do once. That bagger’s name was “Nap” and he proceeded to play “bumper cars” with my buggy as he ogled the candy aisle!

I am completely beyond disgust. And I hope that no one in the world has to ever return to this store. I am not sure if I would think about it. I am glad “Nap” got away with his game of bumper cars without a manager’s complaint. No one is going to get away with dripping hand sanitizer on the credit card machine and refusing to let a customer pay. This is a very unfortunate store. And at some point, someone has to complain about what they saw. I am glad I was that person to report what I had seen in such a "Lemon pie" of a store. What an unfortunate store.

Original review: April 26, 2018

On Wednesday, 4/25/18 at 5:45 p.m., I stopped by Publix Deli to pick up a bite to eat before my afternoon meeting. I decided on salmon, Greek salad and asparagus. The deli assistant suggested instead of purchasing separate items, I should combine everything into a meal. I thanked him for the suggestion and waited for him to put everything in one container. The problem I have is when he handed me my food, he asked me if I would be using food stamps. I was completely shocked and offended. Being a person of **, I'm used to insensitivity but this is the first time I've experienced it with Publix. I did speak over the phone with the manager once I got to my car and reflected on what just happened. I suggested sensitivity training for her employees. She was apologetic and said she would speak to the deli employee. I strongly believe that Publix as a whole should consider this a wake up call and not dismiss it as an isolated issue.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Publix is in walking distance and we walk almost daily to get items for our dinner. Love Publix and the employees are awesome all the time. My husband and I have been shopping at store 601 Oglethorpe Crossing, 3435 Ashford Dunwoody Road since 2009. For the last year or so, we have been taking items back to the store because they are out of date. In addition, we hear a lot that this Publix do not stock certain items due to location. Not sure why because this is a very nice area. It is very disappointing when we have to go out of our area to shop at the Town of Brookhaven Super Market. It is getting to the point where my husband and I do not want to shop at Publix because it is very unsettling to get home to start dinner to discover something is wrong with the item. Thank you in advance for getting Publix's standards back up to parts.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I lived in Florida for ten years and travel back frequently. I’ve have always loved Publix and we were thrilled when we heard they would finally be in Asheville. It is not at all the same. The grand opening made it seem the same but within weeks it slipped and has continued to slip. They are often out of my favorite coffee, and many other items on a regular basis; shelves are out of stock every time I visit, and that is pretty often. Last but not least the bogos are buried in the store not in front bins or in obvious positions. The last straw, they took all the gluten-free products from King Arthur out of the stores. I find myself having to go to other stores to find my items and now I’m going to move to online. Very disappointed.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was at Spanish River in Boca Raton FL and the women making my sandwich was rolling her eyes and could not talk English well at all. She was so rude. I told the store manager and he did nothing about it. If it keeps going on I will be calling some other people.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I kinda feel bad, but I’m a cashier for Rouses. My husband and I had to come in to Publix and pick up his prescription because we have never been inside so we didn’t use the drive-thru. Something I’ve always used there. We walked in and my mouth dropped! I thought we were clean, Publix is where it’s at!!! Everyone there is so nice and all smiles always asking if you need anything!! I was super impressed with the drink machine. I was kinda embarrassed that I was in my Rouses uniform! I have to add you all have baggers!!! I was so shocked. I couldn’t believe it. Where have I been all this time!

I know from now on where I’m going not just for the cleanliness of the store but I love that everyone smiles! That’s what I believe in a smile goes a long way with a customer and a simple, "Hello how is your day?" Thank you, Publix for making my first time experience super AMAZING!!! Now I see why my parents shop Publix and I can’t get them to shop at my store! That’s sad!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I love service. Always great service. And their meats are great. Some things cost more but if you get sales items you do good. Animal cat and dog foods cost more, as do laundry products. Veggies are fresh and good variety. Great lunch meats. I shop for sales and use coupons. Overall I give it a A for how clean and personnel treat customers.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I started using Publix pharmacy almost 2 years ago as soon as we moved down to Florida. From the very first time I picked up my prescriptions they were rude. I'm talking about Erin, Miranda, and Kim. I'm disabled and although you wouldn't see it if you looked at me I am in severe pain every minute of every day. So when I came in to pick up my prescription of a short and long acting narcotic they were angry. Who knows why but they decided I shouldn't be on those drugs.

They don't know anything about me, but they judged me. They shame me every month I pick something up, it's awful! I have left crying because of the awful way these pharmacists treat me, like I'm a drug addict. There is absolutely zero kindness in these women. I have a disease called CRPS. It is invisible and if they even ONCE contacted my doctor maybe they would treat me better. Instead I go in there and every. Single. Time. Have to wait..."they're working on it". Yeah right. They are catty, and waste more time chatting than they do counting to 90. Shame on them. I have also voided my latest script and am going to another pharmacy. These women should be fired.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

The deli at this Publix (The Market at Southside) has the worst customer service in Orlando. The employees are rude and do not greet customers appropriately. The line is always long during usual business hours. Even when there is not a line, they make you wait displaying an attitude while employees talk among themselves. I must go out of my way for Publix deli services even though this is close to home. But there are times when that is not possible. Every time I attempt to use this deli there is always an issue with bad attitudes and bad service. Tried to get slices of turkey meat the other night around 8pm when there was not a line. The woman behind the counter was wrapping up meat and did not acknowledge me even though she was right in front of the counter.

After she set the meat aside, she picked up a block of cheese and walked away. When she was in front of the slicer is when she told me with attitude she would be right with me while holding up the cheese as if to show me she is too busy to help. Frustrating! I walked away at this point. Informed the deli manager about the lack of service. Who I must say was professional and had empathy towards my experience. Too bad her crew is not following her standards. Yet, complaining about it seems to fall on deaf ears because the same awful people with attitudes still work there after years of complaints and problems. The average wait time here is over 30 minutes! And, product ordered is most of the time sloppy and mishandled.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Publix has fresher produce than Winn Dixie, meat is just as good. Items are easier to find due to aisle layout. Staff is always helpful too.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Publix is a great store where every employee is helpful and courteous, and the goods provided are excellent. The staff never forgets to inquire if help is needed taking my purchases to the car.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

My local Publix store has some good foods but their service and having items in stock is not always good. Their leadership needs help also! It is crowded and hard to find what you are looking for with their display system.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

There is always someone to help you. If an item is not in stock, they will give you a rain check. The staff is always pleasant and helpful. They will bring in a product for you if, they can.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Though its prices are high, Publix offers many sale items and buy one/get one free products. Workers in a store I visit are very friendly and helpful. Stores are always clean and smell good. Not always the case with other companies.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Publix is by far the best grocery chain in the area. Always clean, fresh produce, fantastic bakery and deli. Their employees are friendly and helpful. The store layout is easy to follow with wide isles for the carts. They always have several employees in the meat department to help with selection, cuts and the best way to cook the meat. The seafood department rivals all grocery stores around.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Publix has quality produce, good product selection, great customer service. A bit pricey on most items, but if you shop the BOGOs and special deals is comparable to big box/warehouse stores.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

They came into town as a total stranger and they changed the thinking of all the other stores overnight. Service has improved throughout as everyone has tried to copy service and quality. Some have come close but Publix is still the best.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Publix is a great store with a variety of fresh foods. The customer is treated as if they are important and valued. Their bakery is second to none. Prices are sometimes more than neighboring stores, but you get what you pay for.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Publix stocks the best produce in our area. I can always find fresh tasting fruits and vegetables. The competition doesn't offer nearly the variety or the freshness.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Publix is our local grocery and satisfies all our needs. Other stores are opening in this area but most are not of the same quality as Publix so for me and my family, we will continue to patronize Publix.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I bought several one gallon bottles of Publix water before Hurricane Irma. Put them single file in the living room closet. A month after the hurricane I noticed the laminate floor buckling! I went and opened the closet doors to find a wet floor and two bottles totally void of their water. It is under our flooring! Living in Florida, one thing you don’t want is water damage. Mold grows fast! My brother and I brought a bottle to the Publix I bought them at. The manager took a statement and sent the bottle to corporate. Of course, we got a call saying it wasn’t their fault!!! B.S.!! I posted this in Facebook and I have had many people come back and say their bottles leaked also.

Our whole floor, master bedroom, living room, kitchen, hallway all has to be replaced because of this. We are talking thousands and thousands of dollars! This is the fault of Publix and their inferior packaging. They told us to go through our insurance company. Why should we have to do that and possible have raised premiums or actually be dropped because of this claim! Plus we have a .$1,000.00 deductible - money we do not have. Publix needs to take responsibility for their crappy packaging!!

Publix Company Information

www.publix.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business