Pathmark

Compare Supermarkets

Research top Supermarkets recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The Pathmark located on MacDade Blvd in Darby township is the most horrific and horrible experience I have ever had. The cashier went on about how they weren't going to pay her and she was angry. She turned to me and said, "There were 4 nail polish bottles here. Where is the other one?" I said, "I had no idea at all." She then asked me, "do you think you might have put it in your purse by accident?" That was the lowest point. I asked her if she was serious and told her I would be reporting her to corporate and was taking a picture of her badge. She grabbed my very expensive iPhone 6 from me and yelled at the top of her lungs, "Don't you dare!"

This woman was a animal or was acting like a beast but I think she is on drugs and she looked a horrible mess, stringy dirty hair, dirt in her nails, and terrible decayed teeth, and she had a stench on her that was horrible. I tussled with her to get my cellphone back and called the police. The managers were all in denial saying to me a customer, "I remind you, you shouldn't have taken her picture." They didn't want to hear my side at all, but karma is a **. They all will be out of a job in a few days. Enjoy your days off, idiots!! Thank goodness they are closing these dreary ass dry Pathmark stores!

I bought some Texas toast, it cost me $5.00. That is ridiculous. Pathmark is too damn HIGH. My neighbors and I are so glad that you are closing down. All of you Pathmark need to close up. That one store everybody say prices are too high. They know that, they just don't care. BYE FOREVER!

Never have workers or manager helping confuse with issues. Deposit bottle machine always having issues with it either broken or machine does not process bottles and the person there ain't able to fix machine and have to take bottles back because they won't give you the money for them - twice this week issue with Pathmark and at the same time I'm a customer. I'm not going around picking up bottles. This bottles are bought there - lows market. Would not recommend to anybody. Please go elsewhere.

I bought a package of ground beef 5/17/15, from Pathmark W. 125th street. Brought it home only to take a fork to the meat which look very pink (like fresh ground).. Only to find that it was covering a mountain of brown spoiled meat. Please do not buy ground beef from them.

Store#194 Bergenfield, NJ - I had 2 horrible encounters of the same Cashier named ** . 1st incident - sometime in January I have a WIC card. During the checkout I was busy putting all the stuff on the counter and she was just scanning it right away and told me the total amount I have to pay then I told her that I got WIC checks and she got mad that I should have told her before she scanned it. I told her I was still busy putting the stuff and not ready yet for checking. Besides she saw me holding the WIC checks/card too. I was shocked with her attitude making that big deal that I should have told her that I have a WIC checks. I told her again I didn't know that she scanned my stuff coz was busy putting the rest on the counter. I was so upset of that kind of attitude that was so rude of her....

2nd incident this morning around 7:09 am: As I was unloading my stuff to the counter I told her that I have WIC checks. Then she began scanning and when I showed her the WIC Card she told me “you did not sign it.” I told her I used it last month but the lady didn't tell me to sign so I told her “I will sign it in front of you with my driver’s license.” She told me again “you should have signed it there at the WIC's office.” I told her that when they hand to me that WIC Card and Checks it was placed in the envelope. She called her supervisor and the supervisor told me same. I told the supervisor I can sign it in front of them with my driver’s license so that they can verify. I signed the card and give her my driver’s license then again keep telling me I should have signed it first.

I told her “please don't give me a hard time, it’s you again”....I got so upset and so shocked with her response. She told me "THEN DON’T COME TO THIS STORE", "DON'T COME TO ME", "COME OTHER TIME". The more I got upset. I told her “I will still come to this store because you don't own the store, I have no choice of choosing other cashier coz you are the only ones open and I should not choose other time because I don't even know your schedule. It was unfortunate of me to have you again.” The supervisor came and of course standard procedure trying to protect her but I told the supervisor what she told me and she denied it. I was in a hurry coz my husband will use the car for work.... please have this issue resolved.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pathmark?

The men restroom smell worst than the subway station, it's never clean. And my wife said the women rest is the same as the men's restroom. It's the one on Franklin Square in Long Island. I love the store but also the price seems like they are getting higher.

Pathmark of Parlin, NJ 12:45 AM, 4/4/15. As I approached the store, four employees were loitering outside of the store, one of whom yelled "10 minutes" as he took a drag of his cigarette by the front door of the store. So, seeing that there were four employees standing outside of the store and no employees visible inside of the store, I waited outside of the store for 10 minutes. I figured it was some Hazmat cleaning or something, and everyone had to wait outside for ten minutes. After about ten minutes, the employees go back inside the store. When I tried to follow, the same employee who had yelled "10 minutes" locked the door as I approached, and said "we're closed," we close at 1!

If by yelling 10 minutes, the employees outside of the store intended that they'd be closing in 10 minutes, it's only common courtesy to specify upon seeing me waiting outside of the store for the duration of the ten minute period. I mean, surely they didn't think that I drove there at 12:45 am to wait outside of the store for 10 minutes. With four employees standing at the entrance of the store doing absolutely nothing but smoking, it seemed that something was going on inside of the store that prevented them from being inside, hence signaling me to wait for 10 minutes outside as they were waiting.

All misunderstandings aside, as a customer, I had the courtesy to wait at the entrance of the store for ten minutes as a result of their "10 minutes" comment. Had the four employees loitering outside of the store smoking at the entrance, been inside of the store doing their jobs (where I'm sure they probably belong while on duty), the misunderstanding would've never occurred.

What a diligent crew they have there at Pathmark of Parlin, NJ. Loitering in front of the store, probably running down the clock, while smoking at the entrance -four at a time - literally ten minutes before closing, making sure that customers know that they'll be closing in ten minutes by barking "10 minutes" at them as they approach, so that one of them doesn't have to (God forbid) work an additional 10-15 minutes in waiting on a regular patron who has driven there at midnight for some baby formula. Had I not arrived prior to the closing time, this would be another story.

Personally, if I were the GM of that store, on my life, I'd fire everyone involved, not just for this incident, but for demonstrating this type of brand (let alone, branch) representation. I just needed formula for my infant, which would've taken me under 5 minutes. Way to go Parlin, NJ on the worst customer experience I've had at any supermarket, ever.

Went to Path-mark in Yonkers on Central Ave. Yonkers next to Alamo. Went there at 11:00 p.m. to buy one item, had to wait for 15 minutes for someone to service me. When someone did they had extreme attitude and her name was Susan. I felt as if she was throwing me out of the store. I waited almost 15 minutes for service and didn't say anything until she gave me attitude. She should have been grateful that I waited 15 minutes for service and didn't say anything but be patient, not be a ** while I was checking out. I will never visit this store again.

I would like to bring to your attention that every time my fiance and I visit this pathmark, which is 2 blocks away from our home, a security alert goes off on the loud speaker. The first few times it happened, we dismissed it and thought that maybe it was a coincidence. It wasn't until the 5th or 6th time that we noticed it did this when him and I walked into the store. We also noticed other people enter the store after us and nothing happened. To be greeted with a security alert every time we enter a super market is very offensive, degrading, and humiliating! We are honest people, not criminals! The last time we visited the store I mentioned it to the cashier and she stated that it's random and it doesn't have anything to do with us, I disagree! If that was the case, we wouldn't be greeted with an alert every single time we enter this supermarket. Not to mention that we shop there at least once a week! I felt humiliated and I will NEVER enter another pathmark again!

I brought items back to the store, didn't have a receipt, but was told I could get a credit. Then I'm told that the one item was an expired date, & another item they said I didn't buy there. I bought both these items at this store. I will never shop there again. They sell expired items, & deny that they do.

On 9/25/14 pathmark circular had a sale on Breakstone Butter 16 oz. Did not have any available. I was given a Rain check (expires in 60 days). Today 11/14/14 went into store #634 in Starrett City where Rain check was issued and was told that must have been an error in the circular. Then why was the Rain check issued after checking the circular? Manager ** said they no longer sell the 16 oz., so I informed him he had the 8 oz. Breakstone and since it was Pathmark's error advertising and giving Rainchecks for items they do not sale, "please give me the courtesy of substituting the 8 oz size." He refused. I also have a Raincheck for Smucker's Apricot Preserve 32 oz. That they also did not have on 9/16/14 nor do they have it as yet. So I'm apt to believe this is STANDARD PRACTICE for PATHMARK. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT! And very little concern for the consumers that make it possible for you to have a business. SHOP RITE IS LOOKING MORE APPEALING!!!!! At least the have their advertised sale items in stock. I do not have a receipt # but I will provide the receipt# for the items I purchased today 11/14/14.

I have no interest in the Path Mart at 145th Manhattan. They are the finest at customer abuse and ruining the day for their victims.. When do you want to wait in line for 30 minutes the check out while only two cashiers attempt to cash out 30 customers? And if there is a problem and they call for help, no one answers.. The finest in SENSELESS DERELICT management working to ruin your day.... And where do these Bastards acquire their income? Who is blind to what this filthy store is doing to abuse the paying customers? Is this in truth a handicapped workshop? Yet one more new manager continues the abuse... Crap.

I got food poisoning from the Tower Isle Jamaican Chicken Patties. Pathmark has really been a big disappointment these days. I didn't want to go to the New Hyde Park location to begin with. It's just a big for nothing store to me. My friend had some business in that area. Next time I will go with my gut. Didn't want to shop there. Now I'm lying here sick in so much pain waiting for my friend to come take me to the hospital. Been up all night through the morning with cramps and chills... Trying to make it come out the other way. Cause I don't want my stomach pumped. I have stomach problems whereas I can't throw up like normal people? I hate Pathmark now. I'm taking everything I bought back especially the perishables. Pathmark used to be a quality store. I guess not anymore. Stop and Shop been looking real good these days. Pathmark prices are much higher now. Bye, Pathmark. Hello, Stop and Shop. It's over now!!

The guy who worked at the pharmacy treated me very rudely, almost confrontationally. Ed, I hope nothing but the worst for you.

I purchase a coffee creamer and was charged more than the advertised sale price. When I asked the person at front desk why, she could explain to me because she looked at the circular and saw it was on sale. It was then when another employee passing by rudely told me that that item never goes on sale. When I showed him the circular, he told me I had an attitude. How dare he speak to a customer in that tone? I felt threatened by him. I will never shop there (New Hyde Park) or at any Pathmark store.

Employees are kind but not helpful. I went to the Pathmark in Clifton btw! I asked like 5 employees where cranberry juice was and they all said "over there." Only one employee took the time to take me to where the juice section was and showed me which ones were on sale. I was very upset.

I went to Pathmark In Belleville, NJ, ordered a pound of large steamed crab legs, watched her grab them from the late section it was @ like $7, give or take. Did pay attention to what she rang up, got home, read the bag. It was tagged XL crab legs at $10.35, smh, total rip off.

I went to Pathmark this evening in Store #293 Yonkers NY. I went through the checkout and the checker put my groceries on the wrong side instead of putting them in front of me to bag. There are two aisles. The guy behind me blocked me from getting my groceries so I waited and then he left stealing my items. I was talking on my cell phone and very tired when I went to this store so I completely forgot my groceries. I took my purse out of shopping cart and left the store still talking on my cell phone completely unaware that I had not bagged or taken my groceries.

The store camera did show me by the checkout counter and with my cart but as I walked away, the cart was empty. I finished my call and realized I had no cart or groceries when I reached my car. I went back in and they made me wait around a long time. I went to the office and saw the tape and saw myself with the cart by the check. The video tape is not clear at all and the manager misinterpreted the tape so I left after spending my money with no groceries. It's not the money as much as I have never been ripped off by any grocery store or patron in my life.

It's shocking and tomorrow I am calling the corporation to complain. The manager tried to keep my receipt and I demanded it back. Since the items were paid for with my food stamp card, I am reporting Pathmark to the US Government. This is not just fraud against me but the US Government. They must return the money or I will go to the media and expose this scam!

RT. 440 Jersey City 07305 - I wanted to return the items in the evening which I purchased in the morning but could not do so because I did not have the receipt and the Manager on duty instead of helping me told me that she will not take the items back. She did not help; attitude was rude and unprofessional and nasty. I had no other choice to come back without returning the items. Can anybody help in providing guidance to the Managers?

I had a bad experience at New Hyde Park Pathmark. I got a coupon from Pathmark this morning. When I had to go back this evening and tried to use the coupon, they would not accept the coupon. The customer service representative and the manager were very unhelpful and nasty. They humiliated me in front of other customers. They no more care about customers.

The customer service is not interested in helping at all but did seem excited to explore an opportunity to insult a customer or start a scandal. Here's my story: I got married. Now, my legal ID does not match my credit card. The married last name is different from the maiden last name. It's cute. Thank you for your kudos. I've been shopping with this credit card without any problem everywhere, including this very Pathmark. If anyone ever had a question, it was my joy and pleasure to explain that I was married. Unfortunately today, I felt deep embarrassment as the checkout boy started yelling "Name does not match!" really loudly all over the store to get the manager's attention, instead of inquiring discreetly or at least saying "She got married." lol, okay.

I took the battle to the manager. I explained that I've been shopping for 2 hours (okay, over an hour) and here's my maiden name, here are my other IDs, here's my kid's report card, here's my checkbook which has my full name and my husband's full name and both last names clearly showing on the checks. Robert ***, the manager, and Henry, maybe manager, just shook heads. They got that face "I'm not interested in helping you personally, but it is my duty and joy to enforce this unpleasantness on you." When I said I'm an honest person, they just gave me that "as if" look, and I felt smeared with dirt. They barely glanced at the checkbook after I asked twice and called them over by name. They did not care to look at the kid's report cards at all. They did not suggest what other IDs might be acceptable. They did say to call Pathmark customer service and get a live person, which I immediately did in front of them.

It was 9 pm and the customer service was closed, which Robert and Henry must have known because they work for the company. I bet they were giggling on the inside, but they did keep their poker faces on. Kudos to them. So I left the cart full of groceries, over $250 worth, and promised to take my business elsewhere. When I got home, I called the credit card and ordered another card to match my id. The credit card lady told me that the Pathmark managers should have called the credit card company and the credit card company would have verified my identity for them. Wow, what a thing to find out after everything. Okay, I had no clue because I never needed to know this before, but I wonder whether these managers were so poorly trained that they had no clue either or they did not suggest this on purpose.

December of 2012 I stopped going to Pathmark at my convenient and regular time. I entered the store alone around 02:00. I was immediately followed by the store manager. Every isle, there he was just staring at me. After an angry argument and several attempts to throw me out, the worker came to my defense. I was not one of those people. I changed the time and the amount I spent with Pathmark ($1,800/month, card #**. I go normal hours now) though inconvenient. Last month, once again, I was accused of stealing a 12 pk. I didn't understand. The paid sticker was on the box. I got no apologies, just embarrassment. Security just made it worse by offering no help or apologies.

I was in a hurry so I decided to self check. I asked for $20 cash back. I never received it. When I complained, Security checked cameras. It seems while I was bagging, a mother walked by with teenage son. Teenage son grabbed the money while I was bagging. Pathmark claims they are not responsible for my loss even though it was clear the money was taken and by whom. They do not stand by their consumers. Non-replacement of $20 will cost them all my future business. Do not shop there and if you do, don't self-check!

My mother was a faithful shopper for over 40 years with Pathmark! On 2/2/13, she went to the store . When she got home, she realized one of the items she bought was open and leaking all over the place as well as being overcharged for two items. Also, the fresh veggies she bought were slimy. My mother called the store and was told to come right back in. She did so and returned the bad items for her money back. She picked up a couple of other items and was again overcharged, realizing this when she got home for a second time. When calling the store again, she was told to come right back in again. This is unacceptable! My mother is 66 years old and has a hard time walking!

I had a bad visit years ago and now shop at Acme and I am very happy. I have been telling my mother to switch for years but she was a faithful customer to you. I think today has know changed her mind in shopping with you, and as well as her many friends. I think you should know what has happened and maybe try and strive to clean up your store and the way you do business; selling expired food and fruit shows you don't check your shelves which proves to me you don't take pride in you store or customers.

I went into the Pathmark located in Yonkers, NY on Central Avenue. I walked into the deli department and a man was changing the garbage. He walked over to me and asked what I needed. I told him I wanted a pound of sliced turkey. He proceeded to grab the meat without even changing the gloves. I couldn't believe he actually touched the meat with the same gloves he had used to change the garbage. When I realized what he was doing, I asked why he didn't change his gloves. His response was, "Did you still want the turkey?" I walked away to find a manager. The manager seemed unfazed by what I experienced so I left the store.

Management and inequality: Where to start. As a former employee of Pathmark Rossville, I can honestly say I was treated more like an animal than a human being. First off, the management. When you first start out, usually they train but that wasn't the case for most, because they just throw you to the dogs and expect you to know what you're doing. Secondly, the management. As a cashier, being on the front end can be a very stressful job and so we rely on customer service to give us aid. But again, that isn't with the cashier since the manager thinks it's more productive to talk than it is to work. Then when they finally answer the phone, the manager talks down to me in a threatening voice, "What is the problem?" To my dismay, I just laugh for her lack of subtlety.

Thirdly, unstable coworkers. During my days working in Pathmark, I met a strange, seemly awkward girl who really didn't introduce herself to me (as I myself thought she was just timid) until one day, she asked my name and then asked me if I was Muslim (shocked to hear this because I am a devoted Roman Catholic). Then after saying I was not, she yelled at me saying "You're a Muslim." The next day, I was on the register with her and again I was berated with vicious comment on me being a Muslim. As the days went on, each call I received was constant threats from this girl telling me that I'm irresponsible, nasty, rude and mean. At first I was baffled. Why is this person yelling at me and harassing me? I mean come on, I just met the girl a week ago.

Well it got worse. As an A and P employee, I am entitled to two 15-minute breaks each 6-hour shift and to my dismay, I guess the girl that had previously been harassing me accidentally forgot to give me my breaks for the past couple of weeks and gave all her friends two hour breaks while I work like a dog on one register handling a huge line of people. It seemed like everyday she was doing things out of spite towards me like whenever I was talking to a guy friend, she would walk up and start flirting with them like she was trying to make jealous of a person I had absolute hatred for already. Or, whenever she sees someone working with a long line, she would tell them in a nice voice "Do you wanna go on returns?" then tell me to open my register.

In fact, many times she cut my break short and I will never forget the day she went to the store manager and told him I was bothering her. Again to my dismay, the idiot believed her and punished me by sending me to the night crew which is another story.

I wait yearly for the turkey giveaway after spending a certain amount of money. I figure I am entitled to a free turkey after spending all of that money around Thanksgiving. I found out that they are not having the turkey giveaway this year. Instead, Pathmark is using that Perk stuff. For every $300.00 that one spends, they will get 5% off on a future shopping trip. That's only $5 on a $100.00 shopping trip. Even though one gets 10 Perk coupons a year, it is not the same. You have to spend $300.00 at a time to get a Perk. Pathmark has really gotten cheap over the years. I don't buy meat there anymore because it looks fresh but has a smell.

On Saturday, the 29th of September, at the Franklin Square Pathmark self check in line, I assumed there were two lines since I saw two people in one of the lines. As I was about to scan my items, a girl by the name of Samantha told me, "Excuse me, miss, you can't pay because you jumped the line." I said nothing, cancelled my items and went behind the line. I was not aware of one line. I really thought there were two. As I stood behind the line, I realized Samantha was always talking and had her back turned away from the self check in. When I finished scanning my items through, I came up to Samantha and explained to her what happened but she always spoke over me. As I walked away, she screamed and said, "Oh, great, now she's telling me how to do my job." I was in disbelief and continued to walk off. When I got home, I called and spoke with the manger, Andy **. He was very nice and pleasant and he apologized.

I bought chicken cutlets in Stop & Shop and Pathmark. As they were large packages, I went home and separated them into the size I needed for my family. Putting them into 2-pound packages, I noticed that the weight was way off what it said on the package. So, I weighed the Styrofoam (which included a pad that absorbs the liquid). On one package, it weighed 12 ounces; the other large package weighed 14 ounces. That's 1 pound 10 ounces that I paid for and was all packaging.

When I went shopping, I went to the store manager of Pathmark who told me that they were pre-packaged so they did not physically weigh them in the store. He was very nice, gave me a five-dollar gift certificate, and said they would look into it. In Stop & Shop, they said pretty much the same. Now I feel very uncomfortable buying meats as this seems to be a standard practice. I certainly don't like paying for packaging when I think I'm getting food for my family. I thought this should be brought to your attention.

July/August 2012 - I recently moved to Whitestone from Howard Beach. I always went to Pathmark in Ozone Park and was used to their professional atmosphere; employees are always very helpful and kind. I never had any issues in Ozone Park store. Now I am going to Pathmark in Whitestone store # 622 and it’s disgusting how this employee treated me. I went to buy fish in this new store. I asked the girl in the fish department with the glasses for a big piece of salmon with the skin and if she could take the scales off. In Ozone Park store, they always take the scales off, no issues. This girl told me that Pathmark does not take the scales off. I asked to speak to the manager and she started cursing and throwing my fish around. I went to a manager and explained what happened and he met me by the cashier with my salmon without scales.

Now after this I have no clue where to buy fish around here, so I went back to Pathmark Whitestone. I have not seen this girl the two times I went after the incident. Yesterday, 8/22/12, I went to Pathmark Whitestone. She was there. I asked the male worker to help me. I ordered a big salmon piece (he took off the scales) and 2 big pieces of cod. While waiting for my fish order, the girl with glasses was speaking with a male worker about Mexican people and how they go to the bay to fish because it’s free and they need to feed their big families. She was laughing and saying how disgusting it was they fished in that water and ate the fish. I couldn’t sleep last night thinking about how much it bothered me what she said. I think she needs to keep her thoughts to herself. I’m Hispanic and think she might have been trying to ** with me. I’m angry, dissatisfied and disgusted with Pathmark.

Pathmark Company Profile