3.50/5
Based on 222 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

769 Kroger Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I had no choice but to purchase canned Kroger brand butter beans. After opening and draining liquid I had about 25 beans that filled 1/4 of the can and most were simply the skins. Done with Kroger Brand and probably will not shop there anymore. Meijer is closer if I want poor quality. Want my name brands back!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

This past Saturday my husband went to Kroger and bought frozen TV dinners (spaghetti) and a pack of hamburger. The TV dinners made us sick and the hamburger went brown in just over 24 hours after it was bought. When I contacted them they didn't care about us getting sick and said it was a manufacture problem and they made no offer to replace the hamburger. The TV dinners very well could be a manufacture problem but it also could of been their employees not handling the product correctly but Kroger did not even care to look into it.

When I asked them who I should contact they had no answers. The hamburger clearly was not fresh but we are out that money because they made no offer to replace it. About 2 months ago one of their employees wiped their nose above their gloves while getting our deli meat. I had a hard time getting Kroger to respond to that complaint as well and when they finally did I didn't feel like it was important to them. Consumer safety is not something I feel Kroger cares too much about.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was a checker at QFC for many years before Kroger bought it. We were a clean, friendly store with strict standards of conduct and grooming including uniforms ironed and shoes polished, men's hair short and clean. What happened when Kroger came in? It's gone to trash! Most products have been changed to Kroger brands. Men with nose piercings and pants below the butt showing, not appetizing. This is not a store Jack Croco would be proud of... sad.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Starting in 2017 I have noticed that Kroger is slowly replacing brand names with their own. I understand about profit, but I do like to have a choice of what products I am buying. If you are going on price alone I suppose Kroger is ok, but if you are looking for quality then having a choice of what you are buying is as important. This week I noticed that all sugar is being replaced by mostly Kroger brand, with a few national brands still available. Ditto for dairy products. Soon will be pasta. When is this going to end?

Produce. I see on this forum that the produce is fresh. I have to disagree on that statement. Some is, yes but not all. The lettuce is shipped in from Mexico. Take a look at the root end. Fresh cut lettuce is green, Kroger sells lettuce with a dark brown root end. Signs of older produce. Garlic. If you catch it when they first bring it out then you get reasonably fresh. Go early and watch the people vacuum the garlic bins to remove the skins that are falling off. Watch them rub the garlic to remove the loose skins which is a sign of aging. I have found rotted shallots in the bin, though with the new layout this seems to have been taken care of. Butcher department. I had asked for casings to make sausage.

The butcher I spoke with told me that I will have to go to a real butcher shop as Kroger just has them stock the shelves with packaged items. Yes they do grind some burger but not much more than that. I get saving money. I am certainly not rich but I do try to shop for quality and quality is not something Kroger seems to care about. I know about the replacement guarantee they have but I would rather get it correct the first time. If you care about your quality now would be the time to start writing letters as other stores will soon follow.

Original review: June 27, 2018

A week ago Saturday, I ordered groceries for an evening pickup. I had company coming and needed to rush. I was supposed to pick up my order between 6 and 7 pm. I arrived at the pick up location at 5:50. I was told that they were running behind and that my order was not ready, even though I had received a reminder email telling me to be sure to pick it up between 6 and 7. I asked how long it would be until my order was ready and was told she didn't know and she asked me if I could come back the next day. I told her no. I don't live in Gallatin, plus I was having company arrive. The girl had no solution for me, so I told her to cancel my order and give me a copy of my order and I would get the things myself. She finally brought me out an order.

I shopped myself, but it turned out that there were some things missing from the list. This was a total fiasco. This store apparently does not have the help they need to provide this service and therefore should not offer it. I also have had nothing but trouble with the website. Once I lost my entire order when I was done and I opted to do it at Walmart instead. Their website is awesome. I used Kroger's online ordering system twice before and it was a bit slow, but I got my order those times. This last time though has left a sour taste in my mouth and I will never use the online ordering again and will do the majority of my shopping elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kroger?

Original review: June 9, 2018

Kroger has an entrance but the carts are parked outside far away. It is not feasible for older people to park, come in the store and then go back outside and walk for the length of the store to get a cart. This store is not user friendly!!! One buys less If they can only purchase what they can carry, but it calls for another trip. So frustrating!

Original review: June 7, 2018

Well, Kroger ~ after being a loyal paying customer for nearly 20 years, I won't be shopping at any of your stores anymore. Fuel points & coupons are great, but the embarrassment caused by having my personal check for $122.00 declined in front of a store full of people with Certegy's lame explanation as to why is unacceptable. Be aware that Certegy is evasive with the reasoning and blames YOUR criteria but fails to provide any negative history. The last 10 checks I have written were to Kroger and they all cleared my account without incident. I write one at least once a month. Sometimes twice. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have been ordering cakes from this Kroger in Atascocita. Tx. for years for my company and personal events. They have a new Cake Decorating person. With that said, I will not be going back there. I Picked up a cake today. It was for a Girl at my work turning 21. I ordered 1/2 sheet Choc/white with Happy 21st Birthday Sandra. With Pink and Yellow balloons. The strings on the balloons are White and so is the Cake, so that doesnt look very good. And When they spelled Birthday, they put little letters even the b is lower case, and it looks like they forgot to put the t so they made that a Capital T. So it says Happy birThday Sandra. And with the strings blending in with the cake it looks very plain. I had another cake made there about two weeks ago for a 30th Birthday. I wasnt happy but thought I would give them another try, so I did and No not going back there again. Thank you. Need to hire a new Baker...

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have been a customer at this Kroger for many years and have as such thought the Ladies Room left much to be desired. Recently, I've been more disgusted with it. It is old and dreary looking, the floor is always somewhat wet with paper on the floor, and it smells really bad. I'm not talking about usual bathroom odors, but rather the smell of sewage. I know the store must make a lot of money, so I can't understand why some remodeling can't be done, as well as some plumbing work. Generally the store looks worn out, and most supermarkets have been remodeled in this area - Food Lion and Lowe’s Food to mention two. I really like the service I've gotten, and have no complaints about the employees - it's just the bathroom!

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have been a faithful Kroger shopper for over 20 plus years. I am in shock that the recall of their ground beef with plastic in it, is just NOW happening! Around 1 year ago I was starting to make a meatloaf for dinner for my family when I opened a package of Kroger ground beef and placed it in a big bowl. I then went to get my other items I use in my meatloaf. I was getting ready to start adding the items when I stopped because I noticed a piece of something on the ground beef. I looked closer and I immediately could see that it was a piece of hard, white plastic. I went and got my husband and had him take a look at it and he agreed that it was a piece of hard, white plastic.

There was no possible way it came from my bowl beings it was a stainless steel bowl. I then placed it back into its original package and took it back to the same Krogers that I purchased it from. I took it to the customer service counter and the general manager was the 1 who helped me. I explained my situation and he did not seemed bothered by it in the least bit. Told me to get a new one and that was it. At the time I did not think much of it but seeing that now, over 1 year later they are recalling the same ground beef for the same reason, concerns me.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I love Kroger, been shopping there for 20 years, only recently the shelves seem to missing quality items. Some items are only Kroger brand, I would like to have a choice. I shopped a few days ago and at 10 am you would think produce would be stock and only one register open, half of the self checkout was not operational and the one I did use after waiting in line for had problems, each time I scanned an item the machine said, "Please remove last item and scan". I really don't want to change store, just fix some of the issues. Thanks.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Kroger is often cheaper than Walmart. The self-checkout is a pain but there is always someone to help you. Also, fresh veggies and fruits are usually amazing.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Store needs to be cleaned and organized a wee bit better. Shelves need to be stocked later in the evening. Products are ok but why are the prices higher in Danville than in Avon?

Original review: April 24, 2018

I love Kroger when shopping for grocery. They offer a wide selection and digital coupons. The Woohoo sales are great. My grandkids know everything about the stores when shopping at Kroger.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I love this store. However, it is more expensive and the things I can find at Walmart cheaper I will buy there. But Kroger offers more variety in several areas.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Great market for a big box store but I wish I could purchase in smaller quantities. Other than that always stocked and helpful if I have questions.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I shop at the Ralph's Kroger store downtown Santa Barbara because of the parking availability... It has most of the staples I use. But not enough of the brand name products. Too many Kroger products!!! Getting worse in this respect. But good fresh produce at reasonable prices. Cheese and meat counters have good name brand. Service is always nice and respectful. Breads are great choices. Need to bring in much much more natural, health food products! Have shopped there and for many years and no problems. But have to go to Costco for bulk items, low prices and Trader Joe's for natural foods and health products.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Pretty good variety of products, nice produce selection, occasionally good sale prices, good deli and bakery. Wish it had more vegetarian products and the website was better, better organized and easier to navigate.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I prefer a store with a variety of products, of the same brand. Brand is a guy top quality I look for when shopping for my weekly grocery shopping. Thank you for a ear for me to voice my opinions.

Original review: April 23, 2018

The one thing that brings me back to Ralph's is that they offer the best selection of Tillamook yogurts. Produce is very good. Their seafood quality is variable and average meat selection.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Was I surprised today when they told me my check was rejected because I couldn't write a check for over the amount. Evidently Kroger gives you a certain amount you can write checks for that TOTAL $250 over YEARS! I don't shop at Kroger as my #1 store; once in awhile, I'll write it over for the $25 which is their limit. Talked to the manager. I would have to write 10 checks to equal this amount. Would probably take a few years for me to write that amount over.

Updated on 05/16/2018: My info could have been compromised so I had to change info. In meantime had given Kroger a check which of course did not clear. I called and was told I had to get something from my bank. I didn't want to go through that since I had been through enough changing everything. Kroger charged me almost $50 and this was the first time anything like this has happened in over 30 years doing business with them.

Original review: April 22, 2018

The store is not a clean and neat as I would like. Music in store is too loud. The cashiers and stockers are friendly which I appreciate, and helpful.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I have always liked shopping at Kroger but the store I shop at needs renovated. The fresh produce department needs expanded and the frozen food department is rather small.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I love shopping at my local Kroger. The fresh fruit selection is great! It’s convenient and the prices work for my family. I also love the points I use for gas.

Original review: April 21, 2018

The mng. needs to quit moving the stock around every few days as it is really irritating to have to always search for something when you are in a hurry or not.

Original review: April 21, 2018

The product selection is fantastic, the pricing is competitive but lower than name brands with the same quality. The store is also very clean and customer service is no 1.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Customer service is the worst! At all of their store's Deli they are rude! No one seems to know what they stock or care about what you're looking for.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Kroger on 4395 Orchard Lake Rd, West Bloomfield, MI 48323. I would like to complain about the customer service desk at this Kroger. I have been a customer for many years, but the customer service at this Kroger is getting worse, and I am not the only one to complain. In about 80% of time, there is nobody at the desk; sometimes people have to wait in line for several minutes for somebody to show up. If there is somebody, sometimes they just walk away, tell us to wait and do not show-up again for several minutes. That is what happened to me today (not the first time), 4/20/2018 at 3:10. First, nobody was around, and when she showed up, she told me to wait, she walked away.

After some minutes waiting, I asked the associate on the floor to call for somebody; when she (manager? her name tag was covered with the jacket) showed-up again, her attitude was not customer friendly; we exchanged words; she asked me why I could not wait, and I told her I always have to wait at this Kroger. I asked for lottery tickets, and she slowly started to punch my numbers, then for some reason the lottery machine stopped to work (?), and she slowly started to write my numbers on the piece of paper; I was under impression that she was dragging the service to irritate me; thus I told her to forget it, turned around and left.

I believe that she yelled something after me, and Kroger people around laughed. This lack of customer care is not unique to this only customer service rep, but it is similar with other service personnel working in this Kroger; though they may be more courteous. In addition, the store is dirty. This is not the case with Kroger on Union Lake and Commerce, there is always somebody at the customer service desk, and people are courteous, friendly. I believe the proper training, carefully selecting people to work at the service desk, and the store and corporate management involvement could help to improve the situation in this Kroger.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I feel as though Kroger's prices are too high so I don't shop here very often. Only when there is a sale on something that I need that another store does not carry.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I love Kroger. They are always friendly and courteous. Always satisfied with produce, meats etc. Fish good too. Very happy and very satisfied overall with them.

Kroger Company Information

www.kroger.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business