3.45/5
Based on 168 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Kroger

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 18, 2018

690 Kroger Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I am reviewing the Kroger addressed 26233 Hoover in Michigan. The other day I purchased two eBay gift cards from the cashier ** at this store. She was having trouble activating the cards, so I offered to put one back & get another. She said OK. I mistakenly took a card she had activated & placed it back near the gift cards. She didn't pay any attention to what I was doing & was busy talking to somebody else. I ended up leaving the store without both gift cards, but I still had the receipts and activation codes. I was so nervous they would say they could not help me, but I called Kroger as soon as I noticed what happened. The lady on the phone told me to just come in & bring the receipt.

Today I brought the receipts to the customer service & told her what happened. The lady was very rude & said there was nothing they could do. She told me they could help if I could find the card that had the 4 #'s on it that matched the receipt. She said they would be out of money if they activated another one. I went and looked through all the eBay gift cards I could. Feeling defeated I noticed **, the cashier I purchased it from was back behind the counter. I rushed over to tell her what happened as I thought she might remember me & how she was having trouble activating the cards. She said once purchased it’s not their fault what you did with it. I told her I didn't realize that was the activated card & made a mistake as I got the cards mixed up. She said, "They are final sale, sorry." I asked for the manager. He came out & said I could call eBay but there was nothing they could do, then left.

She then said she threw the cards away that was on the table (I had a old gift card that fell out my purse), & it could have been threw away or moved because it's a big store. I was angry because if there was nothing they could do, why did the lady tell me to come all the way up there? I didn't have to make the extra trip, but she made me feel like all I needed was my receipt & they would fix it. At home, I called eBay customer service. A woman with a heavy, hard to understand accent then kept asking me for the 9 digit card number of my lost gift card. If I knew that I would have my card, but it was lost in store. I only have the 4 digits printed on my receipts along with my activation slip. I kept bothering her for a physical address to contact eBay, because it just didn't make sense that a company or provider could not track a card they issued using the information given on the receipt.

She finally gave me an email where I could send pictures of my receipts, along with the date & my eBay user name. They also wanted the 9 digit card number I think or a pic of the card. I don't know what part of the card is lost they don't understand! I never got a chance to write down the 9 digit number. I just have the 4 digits on my receipt. I hope I will get my money back, because I can't afford to lose it. But Kroger didn't make it easy or even try to help me. They could have written down the 4 #'s from my receipt & kept a look out for the card in case it turned up since I lost it in the store along with my phone # & called me if ever it did show up somewhere! That is what I would have done if somebody said they think they lost a gift card in my store.

I also don't understand from eBay's end why the # they give you can't track the card or deactivate it in an emergency situation! It would be easy to deactivate it if they actually put some type of number unique to the card in case of an emergency loss situation! I have my receipt & deactivation code, & the cashier knows I said I was putting back a card she could not deactivate. Obviously I wasn't trying to cheat Kroger. If there was just a way to deactivate, & check the balance, they could easily reissue the card. But no, they purposely want to make it hard. I don't understand why they don't put the 9 digit card number on the receipt when you need the claim code to spend it??? But they keep asking for the 9 digits when only 4 is on the receipt?

The cashier who told me about their losses really pissed me off. I am the one who lost my money! How much money is she going to lose when I never shop there again & tell my family not to? My family spends close to $300 there a month or more. But they want to lose a honest customer over $38. Very stupid on their part! That money means a lot more to me than it does to them. They are so money hungry over $38 that they can't do what's right.

To keep a customer happy, what is $38? They act like I was stealing my own money when if they would have refunded me this once, I would have just purchased the card again. I purchased them all the time, but I probably won't anymore. The customer service is very incompetent & they don't care about their customers! Please don't shop at these stores! If ever you have a problem, they will do zero to help you! They don't even deserve one star! I am very disappointed in Kroger. Please do yourself a favor & do not buy gift cards or even shop there.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I like their rewards program, good deals, great prices, saves a lot on gas. We love the sushi bar, the cheese section is awesome. I also enjoy the seafood selection. Lobster came home with us not long ago. Don't shop anywhere else.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Today I purchased salmon from the Kroger fish counter at 3300 Cobb Parkway in Atlanta, GA. After we started having dinner, we saw white worms coming out of the center of the salmon. In the last six months we have been sold rancid chicken, scallops, and turkey burger at this location. This was by far the worst thing we have experienced, and have never had an issue with another Kroger location. I have reported this each time we have purchased rotten food, but it keeps happening.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Kroger employees work hard keeping shelves stocked and organized and are always helpful and friendly. They try to get you out quickly and you get coupons for things you actually use.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I like the fact that Chesapeake, VA store usually has plenty of checkout registers open and/or self-checkout kiosks available for speedy/quick checkout.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kroger?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Kroger's selections have steadily diminished in the past year at our local store much to our dissatisfaction and to the degree that we have begun shopping at a store where we pay more but have a better selection of meat and produce.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

They go out of their way to assist customers and I've never left upset! I know a lady who lives under the poverty level & they consistently mark things down for her (she's bought her groceries there for many yrs). They do a massive amount of community service on a regular basis!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have shopped at several different kinds of Kroger stores and have found that they all have a great variety of products, are very clean and the only time other stores beat their prices are the other stores special sales prices, but overall the Kroger prices are very good. Also, the personnel are very congenial.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Kroger's prices are usually higher than other stores mainly in household items such as cleaning, laundry, and personal items such as shampoo, conditioners, soap etc. So it's not a one stop shop for me.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I like Kroger membership discount, I like having a Kroger in my community. Also, Kroger have great deals, the 10 for 10 is a good deal, also, the wide selection of wine, is one of my favorite deals.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Open all hours and friendly, considerate, helpful staff. Gas points are great too. Pleasant experience and just a good all round store. My preferred shop of choice.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Kroger is our only major grocery store besides Walmart. For the most part they have a good value and have improved the produce section but a lot of produce is overpriced, go to Aldi for very nice well priced produce.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I am frustrated that Kroger is replacing more of the brand names that I prefer with more Kroger brand products. While many are ok, I also find that many do not have the flavor/quality that I have come to expect from the name brands I usually purchase.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have been shopping at Kroger for several years and they seem to be confused about what they are in business for. They keep moving products around so you have to constantly keep looking for them or they have stopped carrying the product. Also, they have carts and buggies all over the place that keep customers having to negotiate their way around the aisles and this creates safety hazards - especially for older customers. They always seem to be out of Deer Park brand water!! Solution - stock at night!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

They are usually pretty helpful, but unless they are having a sale the prices on most items are fairly high. Of course if you have a rewards card that's very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Could use better selection and variety of foods. Especially in Organic and health foods, fresh breads and vegetables, and ready to eat hot (meal) foods.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

It seem to be your average store. However, I do shop their Food4Less brand once a week and find it to be a low price leader in the area.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I happen to shop at the neighborhood Kroger. Quality of the food is very good. It is extremely rare to find an item past its recommended "sell by" date. Employees are very friendly and helpful, too.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Several months ago I was run into, hard, by a fully-loaded 6-foot-high cart pushed by an employee who came out of the back and didn't look where she was going. I was shopping at the time. After months of back-and-forth with the company, I was informed today that the company had no responsibility for my (small) injury treatment charges, (I will be 69 years old this month and am on Medicare, but not for therapy, etc) and that was that. End of story. They have videotapes to prove what happened. The store manager told me "everything was taken care of," and passed it on to the insurance company. The insurance company (Sedgwick) said they have reviewed the incident and they have no responsibility to me. Believe me, I have reviewed it too, and I was hurt. If I had a choice of stores in which to shop in my town, I would go to another store... but we have only one supermarket. I was treated dishonestly and unfairly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

The Kroger store is always clean and the shelves are always stocked. The employees are friendly and helpful. I enjoy the shopping experience. Makes me want to shop the store regularly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have to travel 45 minutes to get there but it’s worth it. My stores in my town just don't care the quality of gourmet foods and spices. I love Kroger!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I love Kroger. The value of the fuel points and digital coupons saves me tons of money on both food and gas. Their store brands are delicious and in some cases, better than name brands and all the employees are very helpful and friendly. They go above and beyond.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

The cost of food could be cheaper. Also longer hours to shop because some of us work long shifts on our jobs. More specials and also offer specials in your pharmacy department please. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I love my Kroger Store! I know where to find what I want and if I can't find it I just ask the friendly workers! I never have to wait in line at the checkout! When they see me coming they open a new cash register!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Good generic products and good choices for healthy foods, fresh and packaged. Employees are friendly and always looking to help when you are looking for something or have a question.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Knowing that I can find almost anything from groceries to electronics I shop almost daily at the local Smiths Market Place (Kroger). Amazingly they carry all the newest of home record, sporting goods down to the as seen on TV aisle! My favorite is the marked down bakery items and the space they put the items for clearance. About half of the checkout lanes you do yourself and they have got the software user-friendly enough that your kids can do it. Last but not least they have a jewelers in house and they are up to the times with their knowledge and products.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I am very upset with the way there was no empathy no sorry we apologize for the inconvenience when contacting the credit card dept of Kroger. My order was not fully completed for some reason. On Kroger Clicklist app, it said that there was a technical difficulty. In that instant the funds were deducted from my bank account but no order was completed. How do I know? I tried to submit my order again and it said it was declined. I called to see about getting my money back because now at this time I had insufficient funds to replace the order. I was transferred 3 times in my first call without being told I was being transferred. In that 3rd transfer it was to my local store where I talked to an associate. I asked him did my order complete and had they received it. In which he informed me and he didn't see anything on his end. He apologized emisedly and then proceeded to give me the same 1800 Kroger’s number I had just called.

I let he know I just called that number. He apologized again and let me know it was nothing he could do on his end which was understandable. So I proceeded to call this number again, I then broke it down again for another customer care associate. I let her know I placed an order that didn't go through and I was out of money. She proceeded to transfer me to the credit card line. I talked to the credit associate let her know the same thing once again. She said she would need name, address, credit card info, total price and she also asked when I tried to submit the order. Then put me on a brief hold. Then came back to inform me that there was nothing she could do. It wasn't in the system. It would take 24 hrs for me to attempt to get my money back. This is the second issue I’m having. If my order did not go through why would my card be debited and then in that I can't get my money back to get groceries for my household.

I liked it when we had the option to pay at the store and not have a hold which does not include discounts and coupons. Secondly Katelyn did not seem apologetic. I didn't hear a sorry from her or “we apologize for the inconvenience”. I’ve been using Clicklist since it started at my local store. I'm there every week. I speak so highly this service I share it with all my friends, family, and church when I get the chance because I enjoy the service.

But after today and my final interaction I had to with the credit associate. I'm just left with a bad taste in my mouth and I do not have anything good to say about his service and everyone that I told about this I will be cautioning them to this flaw. I'm just upset and saddened because I really enjoyed this. It is a time saver and I enjoyed the customer service from my local Kroger’s. People go to a store for a reason because there is something they need. Well I can't get what I need for at least 2 days.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

The size of the store is good. The people who work there are friendly. The quality of the products is very good. The time in the store shopping is quick and easy.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Customer Service is always excellent! From baggers to managers, everyone asks if I found everything I needed. I would highly recommend Kroger to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I usually don't go to Kroger even though a brand new one was just built 1 mile away because it is just too large of a store. If I'm only going in for three or four things, it takes me way too long to find it and there's rarely anyone around to help. Because I'm vegetarian and gluten-free, I don't get to partake in any of their prepared food market fair that they offer.

Kroger Company Information

www.kroger.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use