3.40/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 22, 2018

697 Kroger Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

Was I surprised today when they told me my check was rejected because I couldn't write a check for over the amount. Evidently Kroger gives you a certain amount you can write checks for that TOTAL $250 over YEARS! I don't shop at Kroger as my #1 store; once in awhile, I'll write it over for the $25 which is their limit. Talked to the manager. I would have to write 10 checks to equal this amount. Would probably take a few years for me to write that amount over.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Kroger on 4395 Orchard Lake Rd, West Bloomfield, MI 48323. I would like to complain about the customer service desk at this Kroger. I have been a customer for many years, but the customer service at this Kroger is getting worse, and I am not the only one to complain. In about 80% of time, there is nobody at the desk; sometimes people have to wait in line for several minutes for somebody to show up. If there is somebody, sometimes they just walk away, tell us to wait and do not show-up again for several minutes. That is what happened to me today (not the first time), 4/20/2018 at 3:10. First, nobody was around, and when she showed up, she told me to wait, she walked away.

After some minutes waiting, I asked the associate on the floor to call for somebody; when she (manager? her name tag was covered with the jacket) showed-up again, her attitude was not customer friendly; we exchanged words; she asked me why I could not wait, and I told her I always have to wait at this Kroger. I asked for lottery tickets, and she slowly started to punch my numbers, then for some reason the lottery machine stopped to work (?), and she slowly started to write my numbers on the piece of paper; I was under impression that she was dragging the service to irritate me; thus I told her to forget it, turned around and left.

I believe that she yelled something after me, and Kroger people around laughed. This lack of customer care is not unique to this only customer service rep, but it is similar with other service personnel working in this Kroger; though they may be more courteous. In addition, the store is dirty. This is not the case with Kroger on Union Lake and Commerce, there is always somebody at the customer service desk, and people are courteous, friendly. I believe the proper training, carefully selecting people to work at the service desk, and the store and corporate management involvement could help to improve the situation in this Kroger.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Bought some 85/15 ground turkey (Kroger Brand). Cooked it to make chili. Turkey started frying and smelled horrible. Smelled bad and gamey. Sick from just the smell. Tasted a small bite and it was horrible. Emailed Kroger and Livingston County health department. 48 hours later still no response. Missed work yesterday. Hope other folks don't get sick. Something wrong with this lot of turkey.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Kroger is very rude and disrespectful when it comes to adding fuel points to their Consumer Plus Card. They should have no problem with customers requesting courtesy points who have close to the 100 pt. mark. For example, if I have 377 points and need just 23 points in order to have 400 points they should automatically allow those points to roll over to the 400 point mark. I have lost thousands of points by their current method. They should automatically let your points roll over if you have over 60 points under the required 100 point mark.

I have had 498 points before and only get 40 cents off a gallon which is two points shy of 50 cents off a gallon. There should not be a manager telling me that I should have gone to Kroger and spent $2 for something I didn't need. Shame on you Kroger and I have been going out of my way and passing by your store in order to shop at other grocery stores. And I have found out that they are overcharging for products in order to pay for those fuel points that they are giving out.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I purchased a large bag of Kroger brand mesquite potato chips from this Ralph's (Kroger is its parent company) December 26th of 2016. Being that I was hungry I was eating several chips at a time. After eating about 3/4 of the bag I came across something that certainly did not taste or feel like a potato chip. It was a worm that was approx. two inches long and appeared to have been fried in with the chips. I was disgusted and threw up several times! I called Kroger's corporate offices soon after and firmly but politely let the representative know what had happened. Her feeble attempt at resolution was to offer me a $15 coupon. WHAT?!! I had just puked my guts out due to a worm in YOUR company's bag of chips and you're offering me a $15 coupon?? Her offer seemed like a 'just go away' slap in the face!

Though upset, I calmly declined her offer and then wrote to the corporate offices of Kroger to tell them not only of my initial situation, but also the poor excuse for customer resolution I had received. I even took the time to obtain the name of the CEO and, in my letter, tried to be understanding by mentioning how I understood that quality control cannot always be 100%. But I also maintained that a two inch worm fried into and sent with a bag of chips would qualify as an epic quality control fail. Adding another layer to my insult, it's been more than a year since my letter to them and the company has NEVER responded!!!

I grew up with Kroger. But since I have learned that this is the way it treats its 'valued' customers, I avoid them at all cost. And I will continue to spread the word of its poor resolution practices. Should anyone out there have also had such situation, I would appreciate knowing what steps I may want to consider. Thanks. And to Kroger, thanks for nothing!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kroger?

Original review: March 21, 2018

The last 5 times I have tried to redeem my accumulated fuel points I have been cheated out of 200 points, or 20 cents off per gallon of gas. When I complain they give me 100 points back, which means I am still out $100 in fuel points. The only reason I shop there is because of the fuel points. This seems like fraud. I'm going to file a complaint with the AG of KY. I'm not the only one experiencing this at the Mt Washington location either.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I went to get gas and instead of the cashier offering me to give her my Kroger alternate identification number she just entered her phone and got credit for my points/discount. Now, I might be petty but it was pretty important enough for her to put in her Kroger number instead of asking me for mine.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I'm disabled and have to get my CNAs to shop for me. Last year, every package of Kroger bathroom tissue, had crushed rolls and holes poked in the packaging over every roll. The tissue also came off the roll in shreds as the last 2 sheets came off the cardboard. I called the 800 number and was eventually given a $12 credit and then later, a $10 credit. For the same issue. I switched to Scott tissue and had the same problems. I figured that their quality control person had problems. Next thing I know, I'm getting rotten lettuce, cucumbers, and onions that all look okay on the outside, but not on the inside. One of the heads of lettuce actually had a purple 2.5 inch long wooden spike sticking out of the middle of it.

I'd pulled off some outer leaves and a whole lot of them fell into my hand and that's when I saw the spike. I had it taken back to the store and a manager took a pic of it and started an investigation. I never heard anything back from him. The next time I called the 800 number, they called the store and were informed that the store had transferred that manager. Then they came back on the line and told me. So, an investigation was started and the person that started it, was gotten out of the store immediately. Then, all the jumbo eggs that I was paying for, were always broken and the containers damaged. Kept having to take them back. There were a lot of really nice people at that store, and I didn't want to sue the store because of that.

I now know that I should have because they never made this situation right. As far as the click list service that they offer, I've been using it for a couple months now, and the problems are still happening even though I'm being told that everything is being checked out. Sometimes they substitute items that are out of stock and sometimes they don't. I went without mayo for 2 weeks because they didn't substitute it and I couldn't get anyone back up to the store. One time a container of ice cream was subbed, and the entire middle part of the LID, was disconnected from the outer ring that it was supposed to be attached to. Sometimes the ice cream was even melted. I bought a box of vinyl gloves from them and a fingertip was poking out of the box as if it'd been tampered with. When I tried to save money by purchasing a 3 lb bag of their frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts, there was a problem.

They were on sale for $4.99 and there were 7 of them in the bag. I baked 3 of them. When I took them out of the oven, a red worm had burrowed up and out of the top of the 3rd piece. I had my CNA take a pic of it with her phone so it could be sent to Kroger. It never went through. So... I saved the piece of chicken in order to get it back to the store and show them. I didn't put it in my fridge because of the worm, so I left it out in a baggie. It started stinking, so I had to toss it out. I ended up throwing the rest of the chicken out too. There were several other horrible things that I can't remember right now, due to lack of sleep from the stress caused by this store. I've been a very loyal customer at this store for 15 years and there were never any problems until last year.

I've been a Kroger shopper since 1987 and have always enjoyed their products, price, and selection. In fact, when everyone else I know has switched to Walmart, I've remained a Kroger shopper. It doesn't mean squat to them if you're a loyal customer. You are not valued. Only your money is. Some Kroger stores are even selling clothes in order to bring in more revenue. I've given them chance after chance to make this right, and they've done nothing. Sure they let me swap out the bad food for good food, and given me a couple credits, but if I had chopped that head of lettuce up like I normally would've, I'd have also chopped up the purple wooden spike and consumed it.

It could've killed me or at the least made me very sick. I will never spend another cent at Kroger and hope the best for all the other people that shop there. It's always been a really good store, with really good people in it. Now, it's no longer either of those things. When I asked them where they were getting their produce since it was all really bad for a while, I was told, it depends. So, in other words, they probably don't have a regular produce distributor anymore. The quality control, is non-existent. It's completely become all about quantity instead of quality. They won't get another cent from me or anyone I know in Augusta. Unless, people that don't use Kroger, want to waste money checking it out for themselves.

And the 800 number, there are some at the home office that would much rather not have you as a Kroger customer if you're having problems with their products, and you call to complain about them. In fact, there aren't enough of the decent ones to outweigh the truly bad ones. No more Kroger for me. The one on Washington road in Augusta is one of the more popular ones and it makes a great deal of money and is in competition with the Publix across the street from it. If I had a larger income, I'd shop with the competition. At least Publix is cleaner and actually cares about quality merchandise and customer relations. Shop at Kroger at your own risk. Check everything you purchase carefully before leaving the store. And better to overcook meat in order to kill any worms that may be in it. Also, don't buy the prepackaged heads of lettuce. Kroger said they know nothing about those other than they come from somewhere overseas.

Please keep in mind also, that all these things I'm stating, have occurred over a period of several months and I've spoken to several representatives at the home office, managers at the store, produce people, click list people, customer service and consumer relations. In fact, the home office just told me yesterday, that their records show that I only called in August of last year. Evidently, the logs were gotten rid of. I called every few days to every week from August of last year on up until February of this year. Now, thank goodness, I'll never have to deal with this company or store again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I am reviewing the Kroger addressed 26233 Hoover in Michigan. The other day I purchased two eBay gift cards from the cashier ** at this store. She was having trouble activating the cards, so I offered to put one back & get another. She said OK. I mistakenly took a card she had activated & placed it back near the gift cards. She didn't pay any attention to what I was doing & was busy talking to somebody else. I ended up leaving the store without both gift cards, but I still had the receipts and activation codes. I was so nervous they would say they could not help me, but I called Kroger as soon as I noticed what happened. The lady on the phone told me to just come in & bring the receipt.

Today I brought the receipts to the customer service & told her what happened. The lady was very rude & said there was nothing they could do. She told me they could help if I could find the card that had the 4 #'s on it that matched the receipt. She said they would be out of money if they activated another one. I went and looked through all the eBay gift cards I could. Feeling defeated I noticed **, the cashier I purchased it from was back behind the counter. I rushed over to tell her what happened as I thought she might remember me & how she was having trouble activating the cards. She said once purchased it’s not their fault what you did with it. I told her I didn't realize that was the activated card & made a mistake as I got the cards mixed up. She said, "They are final sale, sorry." I asked for the manager. He came out & said I could call eBay but there was nothing they could do, then left.

She then said she threw the cards away that was on the table (I had a old gift card that fell out my purse), & it could have been threw away or moved because it's a big store. I was angry because if there was nothing they could do, why did the lady tell me to come all the way up there? I didn't have to make the extra trip, but she made me feel like all I needed was my receipt & they would fix it. At home, I called eBay customer service. A woman with a heavy, hard to understand accent then kept asking me for the 9 digit card number of my lost gift card. If I knew that I would have my card, but it was lost in store. I only have the 4 digits printed on my receipts along with my activation slip. I kept bothering her for a physical address to contact eBay, because it just didn't make sense that a company or provider could not track a card they issued using the information given on the receipt.

She finally gave me an email where I could send pictures of my receipts, along with the date & my eBay user name. They also wanted the 9 digit card number I think or a pic of the card. I don't know what part of the card is lost they don't understand! I never got a chance to write down the 9 digit number. I just have the 4 digits on my receipt. I hope I will get my money back, because I can't afford to lose it. But Kroger didn't make it easy or even try to help me. They could have written down the 4 #'s from my receipt & kept a look out for the card in case it turned up since I lost it in the store along with my phone # & called me if ever it did show up somewhere! That is what I would have done if somebody said they think they lost a gift card in my store.

I also don't understand from eBay's end why the # they give you can't track the card or deactivate it in an emergency situation! It would be easy to deactivate it if they actually put some type of number unique to the card in case of an emergency loss situation! I have my receipt & deactivation code, & the cashier knows I said I was putting back a card she could not deactivate. Obviously I wasn't trying to cheat Kroger. If there was just a way to deactivate, & check the balance, they could easily reissue the card. But no, they purposely want to make it hard. I don't understand why they don't put the 9 digit card number on the receipt when you need the claim code to spend it??? But they keep asking for the 9 digits when only 4 is on the receipt?

The cashier who told me about their losses really pissed me off. I am the one who lost my money! How much money is she going to lose when I never shop there again & tell my family not to? My family spends close to $300 there a month or more. But they want to lose a honest customer over $38. Very stupid on their part! That money means a lot more to me than it does to them. They are so money hungry over $38 that they can't do what's right.

To keep a customer happy, what is $38? They act like I was stealing my own money when if they would have refunded me this once, I would have just purchased the card again. I purchased them all the time, but I probably won't anymore. The customer service is very incompetent & they don't care about their customers! Please don't shop at these stores! If ever you have a problem, they will do zero to help you! They don't even deserve one star! I am very disappointed in Kroger. Please do yourself a favor & do not buy gift cards or even shop there.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I like their rewards program, good deals, great prices, saves a lot on gas. We love the sushi bar, the cheese section is awesome. I also enjoy the seafood selection. Lobster came home with us not long ago. Don't shop anywhere else.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Today I purchased salmon from the Kroger fish counter at 3300 Cobb Parkway in Atlanta, GA. After we started having dinner, we saw white worms coming out of the center of the salmon. In the last six months we have been sold rancid chicken, scallops, and turkey burger at this location. This was by far the worst thing we have experienced, and have never had an issue with another Kroger location. I have reported this each time we have purchased rotten food, but it keeps happening.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Kroger employees work hard keeping shelves stocked and organized and are always helpful and friendly. They try to get you out quickly and you get coupons for things you actually use.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I like the fact that Chesapeake, VA store usually has plenty of checkout registers open and/or self-checkout kiosks available for speedy/quick checkout.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Kroger's selections have steadily diminished in the past year at our local store much to our dissatisfaction and to the degree that we have begun shopping at a store where we pay more but have a better selection of meat and produce.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

They go out of their way to assist customers and I've never left upset! I know a lady who lives under the poverty level & they consistently mark things down for her (she's bought her groceries there for many yrs). They do a massive amount of community service on a regular basis!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have shopped at several different kinds of Kroger stores and have found that they all have a great variety of products, are very clean and the only time other stores beat their prices are the other stores special sales prices, but overall the Kroger prices are very good. Also, the personnel are very congenial.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Kroger's prices are usually higher than other stores mainly in household items such as cleaning, laundry, and personal items such as shampoo, conditioners, soap etc. So it's not a one stop shop for me.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I like Kroger membership discount, I like having a Kroger in my community. Also, Kroger have great deals, the 10 for 10 is a good deal, also, the wide selection of wine, is one of my favorite deals.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Open all hours and friendly, considerate, helpful staff. Gas points are great too. Pleasant experience and just a good all round store. My preferred shop of choice.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Kroger is our only major grocery store besides Walmart. For the most part they have a good value and have improved the produce section but a lot of produce is overpriced, go to Aldi for very nice well priced produce.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I am frustrated that Kroger is replacing more of the brand names that I prefer with more Kroger brand products. While many are ok, I also find that many do not have the flavor/quality that I have come to expect from the name brands I usually purchase.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have been shopping at Kroger for several years and they seem to be confused about what they are in business for. They keep moving products around so you have to constantly keep looking for them or they have stopped carrying the product. Also, they have carts and buggies all over the place that keep customers having to negotiate their way around the aisles and this creates safety hazards - especially for older customers. They always seem to be out of Deer Park brand water!! Solution - stock at night!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

They are usually pretty helpful, but unless they are having a sale the prices on most items are fairly high. Of course if you have a rewards card that's very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Could use better selection and variety of foods. Especially in Organic and health foods, fresh breads and vegetables, and ready to eat hot (meal) foods.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

It seem to be your average store. However, I do shop their Food4Less brand once a week and find it to be a low price leader in the area.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I happen to shop at the neighborhood Kroger. Quality of the food is very good. It is extremely rare to find an item past its recommended "sell by" date. Employees are very friendly and helpful, too.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Several months ago I was run into, hard, by a fully-loaded 6-foot-high cart pushed by an employee who came out of the back and didn't look where she was going. I was shopping at the time. After months of back-and-forth with the company, I was informed today that the company had no responsibility for my (small) injury treatment charges, (I will be 69 years old this month and am on Medicare, but not for therapy, etc) and that was that. End of story. They have videotapes to prove what happened. The store manager told me "everything was taken care of," and passed it on to the insurance company. The insurance company (Sedgwick) said they have reviewed the incident and they have no responsibility to me. Believe me, I have reviewed it too, and I was hurt. If I had a choice of stores in which to shop in my town, I would go to another store... but we have only one supermarket. I was treated dishonestly and unfairly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

The Kroger store is always clean and the shelves are always stocked. The employees are friendly and helpful. I enjoy the shopping experience. Makes me want to shop the store regularly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have to travel 45 minutes to get there but it’s worth it. My stores in my town just don't care the quality of gourmet foods and spices. I love Kroger!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I love Kroger. The value of the fuel points and digital coupons saves me tons of money on both food and gas. Their store brands are delicious and in some cases, better than name brands and all the employees are very helpful and friendly. They go above and beyond.

Kroger Company Information