2. Shopping
  3. Grocery Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.25/5

Kroger Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kroger?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kroger?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Received a phone call for my order being ready at 5:12. I checked in that I was there at 5:58 as my pickup time was the 6-7 window. I did NOT receive my order until 8:04! I called the service number every 30min to check on my order, and was always told, "We're getting it out." At 7:40 I called the store itself to speak with a manager. Got placed on hold multiple times and finally a manager said she would check on it and hung up. Finally 20 min later my order comes out. And then after they put my order in my SUV they walked off leaving my trunk open cause he was trying to hurry to the next car that had been there for at least an hour that I know of. When I get home to unload I noticed 5 out of 14 items were missing. I was not notified on the out of stock items until I unloaded them and seen the receipt! I will go back to using Walmart pickup.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I have been stocking-up with 12 bags of Seattle's Best Decaf coffee whenever it was discounted. Recently, my doctor advised me to stop drinking any type of coffee since it is impacting several health issues. On 9/4/20, I took the bags to Kroger’s Smith’s store in Taos NM and was informed that they would not accept the returns without a receipt. I don’t keep the receipts and check out with my Smith’s Rewards Mastercard. (It does not record my receipts.) After logging into Kroger chat (customer service), I was only able to retrieve the most recent receipts for only 2 bags totaling $9.98. However, this leaves the remaining 10 unopened bags that I paid for. They can be scanned at Smith’s grocery store to show proof of purchase. Other local food stores do not have this unfair practice. I have been shopping at Smith’s for almost 9 years. I’m 78 years old living on monthly Social Security checks and cannot afford to subsidize your giant Kroger stores.

Get buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

Today (9-13-20 at 10:52 AM), receipt # **, Alternate ID # **, I had a bad experience at Kroger #355. I asked Norma if sausage links were available? With an inimical response and unpropitious attitude, she gestured, "it's over there". Norma was abrasive, brief, and impassive of my shopping needs. I have been a customer and a frequent visitor at #355, 313, 314, and 243. Reviewing my plus card activity I have over 77 pages of products purchased with the Kroger Company. My previous Plus Card number was #**.

Help me understand how is acceptable for Kroger associates to be unfriendly and unprofessional to its number one objective: CUSTOMERS? I request for Norma to be put on probation for 90 days and have this review on her permanent employee file under "Disciplinary" section. I have not had such a negative and unwelcoming attitude from a Kroger employee as Norma. I need a member of management to contact me with this matter as soon as possible. Hector **

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

My Thai wife (only a little English) purchased the wrong cigarettes. Kroger cashier, customer service and 2 managers refused return or exchange. These were unopened, sealed packs - 3pks @ $18.00 approx. I am a regular customer of 5 years, spending over $250 week. They embarrassed and humiliated my wife. There is NO EXCUSE for this behavior.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I work two full time jobs as a single mom, no time to shop always or drive across town to get my pre-paid pickup just to be told when I arrive they can’t do it. I PRE-PAID and couldn’t get money back and was told to come back the next day. My pickup was between 8pm and 9pm, I got emails and texts REMINDING me to pick up my order, and at 8:07 as I pull into the parking lot, I’m called and told they can’t get my order. I said there’s still 50 minutes til 9pm, and it can’t be done? They had all day! I was told no, and for no reason. I do NOT have time or energy for this! ... You ever work so hard in a pandemic you want to cry from stress and then something like this just...breaks your spirit for the day?? And I pre-paid, as is required, not swipe card when I arrive, and that was my grocery budget. I didn’t have the time, energy, and gas to WASTE on this, and no manager on duty to handle the matter either. It’s totally inexcusable.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I recently (8/29/2020) bought a half gallon of Kroger 2% milk. The Expiration Date date on the bottle was 9/11/2020. I put it in the usual milk spot in my fridge. I just went to have a glass of milk and it is already rancid (9/1/2020). I have had issue with Kroger milk going bad before the Expiration Date. But never this soon. I do not have this problem with the Pet Milk I get from Harris Teeter. I was in a rush, which explains my Kroger visit. But I can guarantee it will not happen again as I won’t be setting foot in a Kroger from now on. Harris Teeter you have won a permanent customer. You can thank Kroger for that. Pathetic quality control.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I've been using Clicklist for a couple of years now. There have been snags here and there but overall, it's been pretty good. That being said, the last three times have been horrible. I've tried to give the workers the benefit of the doubt. After all, these are some crappy times and they work their behinds off. But what has happened the last three times can't be explained away.

The last 3 orders I've placed have been late, meaning the order was not ready at the pickup time I scheduled. That's a mild annoyance, but nothing a phone call wouldn't fix. Just call me and let me know what is going on with the order. Apologize, provide solution. The first two orders no one called to tell me how behind they were, no one apologized. They could not tell me when the order would be ready, and kept using jargon that the customer obviously won't understand- "your ambient tote is 20% full." What the hell does that even mean?? At any rate, there's more to these stories, including substitutions that were in no way, shape, or form even close to the item I ordered.

The third time is what got me. They finally called to tell me the order would be late. They would advise when it was ready. Ignore the emails I get telling me to pick up the order. An hour after the order was due I called up there because I hadn't heard anything. Again with the "ambient tote" jargon. I asked if it might be ready in an hour, they said yes, they would call me, and they hung up. That was at 4:45 pm. I tried to call at 8 because it's getting late and I need to know if I need to drive to the other side of town and get my groceries. No one answers. I call again at 8:45 and a confused woman tells me it's been ready for "hours" and doesn't understand why I wasn't contacted.

In all of these occurrences, the kids have mostly tried to help and get my stuff to me when they realize what a screw up it's been. But what irritates me is that they just cannot get it together. I don't know if it's because many of them are really young and just don't know what to do or don't care, but I've had it with Clicklist. The incompetence outweighs the "try hard to fix" and I'm just done.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

At the check-out I asked the cashier if I could use my phone number since I did not have my Kroger discount card with me and she replied,, "Do you want to use mine?" I said yes, since there was a long line behind me. (Trying to be courteous.) So she rung up my groceries and used her card for discounts, I use cash. BUT; what I did NOT know what they had no change,, no sign posted anywhere,, So after she rings it all up, swipes HER card,, she then tells me about the change shortage and could not give me my $.92 cents back,, that it would go on my card...WELL,,,she used HER card and she got my $.92 cents on her card,,,Now,, I don't know what exactly this company is trying to pull with their customers,,,But I do know this is theft! Of course a manager I asked for would not come,,,I got tired of waiting,, which is probably the plan.. I should have called the police! This store is on Oakwood Ave. Huntsville, AL.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I've waited way too long every time I've tried the curbside pickup. The last time was the last time though. I will say that I did receive a very courteous call and apology after I'd arrived in the store's pickup area that they were running behind and that my order was not yet picked. And by the way the phone number on the sign and on the notification I received had a wrong phone number in the store and I had to be transferred to the correct department...no apology there but I waited on hold almost 5 minutes. This was the Store in Richmond by VCU.

I am sorry that Kroger is having such a hard time getting this right. But, the others stores are doing a better job at trying to head off the problem of an item being out of stock by allowing for substitutions to be selected at the time the order is placed. Some also stay in touch by text message to ask me questions as they pick if they need to confirm a replacement or advise of a completely out of stock item. I've never received more than half the order placed with Kroger. It's just a time killer for me to shop this way between the waiting and then having to make a second order from another store.

I want to be clear that I feel sure the folks doing the work are giving the best service they have been trained to provide. I feel sure Kroger management...upper management could be doing a far better job. In general people can only work with the tools they're provided. A corporation like that of Kroger has no excuse whatsoever. Kroger is a HUGE grocer in this country. Again NO EXCUSE. Even in these times NO EXCUSE. Other grocers both just as big and even local smaller ones are doing a better job....Step up Kroger! I know you can but we'll see if you do. Lastly.... I'm thrilled there are options out there for getting my groceries via no contact. I believe it has saved my mother's health and probably life. Thanks to all those individuals out there who are everyday risking their own health and that of their families. I am impressed regardless of who you are or who you work for. You're amazing for doing what you get out and do! Thank you!

Original review: July 24, 2020

I've never had a worse experience in any store. I will not be a customer again. Going back to Publix and staying there. Food was mislabeled with price errors and not nearly enough checkout Clerks cause excessive weights and I tried them to go 2 self-help check out which was a disaster for me. The manager was nowhere to be found when I want to complain about my experience. Aisles are way too narrow and overcrowded. God help us if there's ever a fire you could never get out. I can't believe the hillbilly Fire Marshal in this County allows this. The best thing I can say is shop elsewhere.

Kroger Company Information