2.86/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

790 Kroger Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I got a rain check about a year ago. Tried to use it recently. Was told they would not honor it. When I called corporate they said it was up to the store manager as to whether they will honor a rain check. There is nothing on the rain check stating that and there is nothing printed on the raincheck stating that. All I was quoted was company policy. Customer unfriendly. Dishonest. Will not shop here anymore. Was also told by corporate that Kroger had sold all or most of the Harris Teeter stores. This is totally incorrect. This company clearly has problems.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Kroger at 1601 Willow Lawn Drive - I called yesterday for help updating my UVC card and she couldn't help me and would not allow me to speak with someone who might could. Then she hung up on me. I called back twice and she hung up both times and asked me NOT to call back. I got my daughter to call to ask for a manager and she told her "you are calling for that lady" and hung up on her. I called other Kroger stores and explained to them what was happening and a manager from another store called and asked to speak to the closing manager. To no avail; it was never reported until I reported it today.

I called the District Manager. Hopefully he can be aware of some of the practices that go on with this woman because it may have happened to someone else and was concealed. I chose to shine some light on this situation because I shop there a lot and feel I shouldn't be disrespected if I need help. I don't know this woman and she doesn't know me which makes it even more outrageous!

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I hate going to the deli counter at the Brownsville Kroger in Powder Springs, GA. One lady in particular always makes you wait until she mops the floor or something then she cuts the meat how she wants and gives you how much she wants regardless of what you ask for then she expects you to accept it based on her reasoning.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

After making a couple of purchases at Kroger on LaGrange Road, Louisville, a supposed manager, Tim (wearing no identification), followed me out to my car accusing me of leaving without paying. I said I had the receipt and while searching for it, he said it was too cold outside to wait for me to find it and would send it up to loss prevention while he also took my license plate number. Upon finding the receipt in my purse and taking it back into the store he refused to review it and ran upstairs.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I bought a 4 pack of whole kernel corn, went to cook it and they're all creamed corn! I then looked at their website to see if anyone else had this issue and saw so many good recalls it makes me very nervous to buy Kroger brand again, or even shop there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kroger?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I bought milk and orange juice from Kroger Granbury TX that both expired way before the expiration date on the jugs. The milk went bad and my husband told me a few days ago the orange juice didn't taste right. This morning I got it out and was going to drink some and the jug was all bloated. I have had milk go bad early before but I'm done buying dairy products from your store. The orange juice had an exp. date of Nov 24th! Today is the 17th. Wow!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

While at the Kroger Marketplace in Newport Kentucky my husband was shopping a new Hot Wheels display that an associate took out of the box and said it was ok to look at to having Daniel a so called acting manager come out of nowhere and snag the whole display and box and product out of my husband's hands and got rude with us as he dragged it away. Since when is it ok for a store employee to take product from a guest's hands and do this??

When we said the lady told us it was ok he went down an aisle saying the lady’s name, "Show your face." Omg. Then he ran off with the products putting them into the back room. This was totally unacceptable and I’ve never seen anyone act like this ever. Had to go home and explain to my son, "Sorry I didn’t get you what you wanted because the guy took it from daddy’s hands." I won’t be going to a Kroger ever again. This was the last time I will tolerate being treated badly by an ignorant grocery store employee.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I shopped at Kroger on October 28th 2018. I was shopping for a special dinner. I noticed the bagger when checking out, was messing up my order with the customer behind, me in line. I corrected the bagger who was placing the customer behind mine into my cart. When I returned home, I noticed that I was missing items that I purchased. I called Kroger immediately and asked for a manager. A man by the name of Craig answered and told him what happened, he said sorry there was nothing he could do. I contacted the corporate office and they took my information but did nothing to get my money back. I do not recommend shopping at Kroger, from my experience they do not care about stealing from their customers.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I was at Kroger store located at 720 Commerce Drive Decatur Georgia, on Wednesday November 7 2018. I was speaking to store supervisor about an employee that was loud rude and out of control. The employee came over into meeting and shouted out more, horrible loud hurtful and rude comments, much worse than I was there to complain about. It is obvious that the employee has no respect for their manager. So I am ready here to let everyone know if you go to the Kroger, the employees do not respect their managers or supervisors and if you complain to the manager supervisor the employee may come over to try to bully you or intimidate you, this bad conduct was done right in front their own manager. It is obvious that the employee has no respect for their manager.

So I am writing here to let everyone know if you go to the Kroger grocery, the employees do not respect their managers and supervisors. If you complain to the manager or supervisor like I did, the employee may come over to try to bully you in intimidate, and call you a name, thus is what happened to me. All right in front the store own manager. The employee is **, the front end manager is **. I am going to call there whenever ** is in duty to try to get an explanation for poor customer service. What is most impactful to me is that well speaking to the store supervisor Ms. **, that employee came over and was more louder than ever, Ms. **, call me a name and was very disrespectful. Moreover she still works at this store.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

We have been Kroger customers for years, but being seniors, very unhappy with your new automated checkout. We changed to Walmart yesterday for this reason and spent $361.63 - money that we would have normally spent with Kroger. The reason is that your Washington Rd. store in Evans, Ga., and I'm sure other Kroger stores, now have only one or two lines that offer clerk checkout and grocery bagging. We tried the automated checkout 'service' first, but because we had so many groceries, it just wasn't practical for us. I'm sure a lot of money is being spent by Kroger to automate and save having to pay clerks, but I think you are going to lose older customers who don't appreciate the service. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

KROGER 25050 F.M. 1093 Richmond, TX 77406 Phone: (832) 586-7375 - In Kroger a manager stole my wallet. His name is Mr. **. The same person once tried to stole the my daughter's wallet too. All your managers know that. But Nobody help me. There's camera all over the store. They made me wait to earn time. Because they knew the camera records were erased in 60 days. They are protecting a thief. I'll go to the police and the court.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I recently used my debit card to purchase gas at a Kroger gas station because I also take advantage of my points on my Kroger card. The gas purchase was $50, however the next day I noticed the amount of $125 was taken out of my account as a hold from Kroger. I called the bank and they were shocked because usually gas stations only take like $1 to test the card. The bank told me to call the gas station and the guy at the gas station had me call Kroger customer service. The woman at Kroger told me to be careful when using your card at gas stations because they can put a hold on your money.

She said she couldn’t clear it. I told her; "so you are telling me not to get gasoline at Kroger or not to shop there anymore, thank you, goodbye." Because of this hold I had to sleep in my car because I didn’t have enough money in my account for a hotel room on a cold October night. The customer service and money holding at Kroger left me to decide to not purchase anything from this company ever again!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

When recently moving to the area, I found that the Kroger's supermarkets have the best coupon deals in the area, for food and gas. However the regular run of the mill grocery foods of the Kroger brand seem to be full of salt, sugar, and high fructose corn syrup. We need to have better healthy brands of food to choose from. Even the applesauce, a couple of small jars of it to be found way down on the bottom shelf unseen without crouching down there to look, tasted flavorless and sweetened, although it is claimed on the label to be unsweetened. Lots of things that I used to find in a normal grocery store, such as kippered herring in cans, does not exist at any of the town Krogers I have been to look for them. They do have nice fresh vegetables that are organic, but it is a very small part of their entire vegetable section.

Their frozen veggie sections of pre-prepared medleys of ready to cook veggies are voluminous and found in several sections. The tea and coffee brands at the present are still varied enough to find one's favorites. There are some brands that I stay away from that are full of heavy metals, but Kroger also sells a few of those that have been tested and found pure. The coffees offered are great, equal to those found in expensive high end stores I find. Many of my basic favorite brands of things are missing. These include B&M original Boston baked beans in a glass jar, Clorox color safe bleach, sales on Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs natural ice cream, which I used to be able to get at 3/$10.00 at my former grocery store, and my favorite brand of vinegar, Regina Red Wine Vinegar, all of which I could easily find in Virginia at Giant and Walmart.

One must find out what time the trucks come in with the meat and vegetables to get there before the shelves get ransacked by weekend shoppers to get the best quality and selection of stuff. Bargains at the meat counter can be great if you come early on a Saturday before the mob, for they like to unload the weekly unsold stuff before the new stuff arrives. The gas credits are really great, but whenever I get a bargain on gas like that I worry about the quality as I like to keep my car in good running condition. What I was not used to seeing was 50% of the store size taken up by clothing and household goods, like a 5 & 10 used to be.

Now that they are trying to look like Wegmans Supermarkets with another 15% of their stores being renovated as a massive wine and beer section. I am less satisfied that the items in the specialty section, for instance feta cheese, the olive bar, the salami section, and the Berea bakery breads products seem to be vanishing, or now we have to pay a lot more for ever smaller packages. Olives that we once could dip out at their olive bar to the size needed with little added water now come prepacked in very small plastic containers that are mostly full of water that spills out all over every time one tries to open the plastic carton. A few olives in there, and I could not determine if the net weight included both olives and water, or just the olives. And the price by weight for the water in there is not honest retailing.

If they start to go to the centralized mega-packing centers for meat and use only Kroger brand sourced stuff to save money, as Giant did in Virginia, I will probably look for other stores to buy my meats. For now, I have found the meat and fish selections available in their butcher section to be first class, and their price is reasonable and if those disappear, guess I will either try Fresh Markets or Whole Foods or Costco in the future, as a former landlord swore by Costco's organic meats and products.

I will have to see if Fresh Market still has bargain coupon days like they did in Virginia or I will have to find another store in town that has a butcher section on site. The biggest complaint is that I spend way far too much time trying to find stuff I need in Kroger due to the huge department store on one floor layout scheme. There is a good thing about this problem though, the staff every time I have been there, are extremely kind in offering help finding stuff. If you look wandering aimlessly and confused, someone will notice and offer to help you.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Kroger Salmon Burgers 12 OZ. 4 - 3 OZ Burgers - Not this time. Only got 3. ;-( So disappointed. It was to be a dinner party for four. Now how will we decide who gets the Spam burger? We understand that nothing is always what it seems. Please forward one Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon Burger to us. Regards. So Disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I bought a product that was over 3/4 empty, when I got home I saw the mistake and called. ** (asm) at the Kroger 4142 Ceader Springs Dallas Texas said, "Just bring it in and we will replace it." However ** transferred and the store manager said he would not refund. I have talked to corp and they just send me back to the store manager now three times. I am very displeased with this Kroger manager and the results. No store should steal money from their customers and then be rude. Btw I asked them to run a lps recording and was refused. The manager didn't even take the time to see the transaction, he just decided that I wasn't worth his time.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I've been shopping at the Kroger located on Coolidge hwy and 15 mile, Troy, MI for years. Today, the clerk who has no smile at all, scan my two items wrong. She called the customer service lady to come to correct it. It took the lady 10 mins to come, then she corrected. When I told her I should get $5 bonus according to Scanner Law, she was so rude, acting like a high authority, told me there was no way I should get the bonus. Later on, I checked online and knew if I correct the cashier for her mistake, I won't get the bonus. The customer service lady is correct, but her attitude and tone was so unpleasant for me. I was very upset.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

From 04/03/18 - 05/09/18 I purchased fill-ups of unleaded gas from Kroger Fuel centers. Later during April, my vehicle’s “check engine” indicator became lit. I was informed by a reputable service dealership that the condition of the fuel was a contributing factor of the malfunctioning system. In addition to replacing other components, the repair required draining and refilling the fuel tank. On May 16, I contacted the Kroger Fuel #938 Englewood, Ohio to inform them of the fuel problem. I called again on May 17. I was informed the Fuel Center Manager was on vacation, and the Kroger staff would leave word with the Englewood Fuel Center Manager and the Englewood Store Manager.

On May 18, I contacted Kroger Customer Connect Call Center; the rep said she would refer the matter onto the Division Manager. As of May 30, I did not have the courtesy of receiving any contact whatsoever from the Kroger Fuel Center #938 Manager, Store Manager, or from the Kroger Division Manager. Kroger referred this matter to Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc. Multiple fuel receipts and vehicle repair invoices were provided. Sedgwick Claims Management denied my claim disregarding that the service dealer found the gas to be a cause to the vehicle problems that required repair. Sedgwick reported that they had no appeal process.

Subsequently, I filed a complaint against Kroger with the Cincinnati Better Business Bureau. Kroger Company corporate executives would not engage in the Better Business Bureau complaint process, and Kroger corporate executives did not identify themselves. Kroger deferred responsibility for this matter to Sedgwick Claims Management. For the costs, time & trouble to me: I requested a reasonable refund of the four Kroger Fuel center gasoline fill-ups (that preceded the vehicle maintenance). Kroger refused to refund me the cost of the fuel or any of the repairs.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have been shopping at this store for 20 years now several times a week at 1320 E 30th St. National City CA 91950. I’ve always had a great experience beside their long lines. Yesterday I purchased baby food with my WIC check. After waiting a total of 30-40 min as I always have and the clerk questioned it and advised everything is correct she doubted and called management embarrassed me in front of customers that I was wrong when I knew I was correct. They treated as if I was a peasant or they were higher authority. I called for the store manager. The situation just got worse. He was very disrespectful and rude and acted as if I didn’t exist. Continue to say I was wrong after we read the check together and it clearly stated 4 oz and his argument was can’t mix glass with plastic?! I was so shocked that he didn't want to admit he was wrong and just made up something that clearly had nothing to do with what was said on the check.

I didn’t want to argue and he ignored me and given me the wrong corporate number and on top of it I went to my local WIC office. They stated the store was wrong. My purchase was correct. I could not stop crying for hours because of how he made me feel and treating me a pregnant woman and putting me through stress over a jar when I came out right at the end. Unapologetic towards me staring me up and down. A person contacted me from their customer relations office after I made my complaint. She made me feel as if this situation wasn’t important. I didn’t get an ounce of reconciliation feeling from her instead she wanted to provide me with a WIX website?

Why if I know I was correct I advised her management and employees need to be properly trained and to not let this happen to another customer like myself. They’re lucky I didn’t have a miscarriage during this experience. They had me in shock and crying. I was terribly horrified from this experience and shaky too for how the manager was treating me as a criminal for my purchase. This company clearly doesn’t care for their loyal customers and pregnant women being out at risk from their employees' behavior. I’m very hurt to start shopping somewhere else based on how they handled my situation.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

This is a poorly run store and very disorganized. All chopped up in small disconnected sections. Shoppers wander a lot trying to find what they need. Have to do a lot of backtracking looking for maybe one or two items that are not in the section you would normally find them. The store is dark, old and tired looking. Surprising, considering the median income in this area. Needs a remodel bad!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

When it comes to my experiences with the Kroger @ 5341 Highway 20 South, Covington, GA 30016. I AM BEYOND DISGUSTED. I stopped going there a long time ago and don't expect to ever go back. I had a particular problem with a cashier by the name of **. I've reported this problem to corporate and talked with customer service at the store but I was made to feel stupid and like a liar. I've been dealing with this for a year before I finally called it quits. Here is a timeline of my problems with **.

The first incident was the summer of 2017, I passed by her and was met with eye rolls. I didn't know her so I let it slide. I was in her cashier line. She acknowledged the other person in my party but ignored me completely. I messed up on my transaction and she treated me like crap. The last and final straw was when I was in the checkout line the next aisle over from her and she rolled her eyes at me while talking with a customer! My mom, the manager at the time and a male shopper stood in shock.

Around this time I reported my experiences to Kroger's Headquarters and they were nice. But in this store customer service treated me like a liar. I know of 2 people the male shopper and another Kroger employee who knows about this store that says that she picks and chooses who she catches an attitude with. I also stopped going to this store because every time I went in there my stomach would tie in a knot and I'd panic from my experiences. I did nothing to this girl, I don't know her on a personal level nor do I care to know her. But why bully someone? I am acquainted with the male shopper and he encouraged me to tell others about my experience instead of ignoring it. So here it is DO NOT GO TO 5341 Highway 20 South, Covington, GA 30016.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I was very amazed to do shopping at Kroger. My experience was quite good. The store looks quite interesting. I never went bored while shopping. Truly, it was amazing experience to shop there. Then, at the exit, I came to know about the Kroger feedback, I went to their official website https://krgrfeedback.com/ and submitted my 5* feedback.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I had no choice but to purchase canned Kroger brand butter beans. After opening and draining liquid I had about 25 beans that filled 1/4 of the can and most were simply the skins. Done with Kroger Brand and probably will not shop there anymore. Meijer is closer if I want poor quality. Want my name brands back!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

This past Saturday my husband went to Kroger and bought frozen TV dinners (spaghetti) and a pack of hamburger. The TV dinners made us sick and the hamburger went brown in just over 24 hours after it was bought. When I contacted them they didn't care about us getting sick and said it was a manufacture problem and they made no offer to replace the hamburger. The TV dinners very well could be a manufacture problem but it also could of been their employees not handling the product correctly but Kroger did not even care to look into it.

When I asked them who I should contact they had no answers. The hamburger clearly was not fresh but we are out that money because they made no offer to replace it. About 2 months ago one of their employees wiped their nose above their gloves while getting our deli meat. I had a hard time getting Kroger to respond to that complaint as well and when they finally did I didn't feel like it was important to them. Consumer safety is not something I feel Kroger cares too much about.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was a checker at QFC for many years before Kroger bought it. We were a clean, friendly store with strict standards of conduct and grooming including uniforms ironed and shoes polished, men's hair short and clean. What happened when Kroger came in? It's gone to trash! Most products have been changed to Kroger brands. Men with nose piercings and pants below the butt showing, not appetizing. This is not a store Jack Croco would be proud of... sad.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Starting in 2017 I have noticed that Kroger is slowly replacing brand names with their own. I understand about profit, but I do like to have a choice of what products I am buying. If you are going on price alone I suppose Kroger is ok, but if you are looking for quality then having a choice of what you are buying is as important. This week I noticed that all sugar is being replaced by mostly Kroger brand, with a few national brands still available. Ditto for dairy products. Soon will be pasta. When is this going to end?

Produce. I see on this forum that the produce is fresh. I have to disagree on that statement. Some is, yes but not all. The lettuce is shipped in from Mexico. Take a look at the root end. Fresh cut lettuce is green, Kroger sells lettuce with a dark brown root end. Signs of older produce. Garlic. If you catch it when they first bring it out then you get reasonably fresh. Go early and watch the people vacuum the garlic bins to remove the skins that are falling off. Watch them rub the garlic to remove the loose skins which is a sign of aging. I have found rotted shallots in the bin, though with the new layout this seems to have been taken care of. Butcher department. I had asked for casings to make sausage.

The butcher I spoke with told me that I will have to go to a real butcher shop as Kroger just has them stock the shelves with packaged items. Yes they do grind some burger but not much more than that. I get saving money. I am certainly not rich but I do try to shop for quality and quality is not something Kroger seems to care about. I know about the replacement guarantee they have but I would rather get it correct the first time. If you care about your quality now would be the time to start writing letters as other stores will soon follow.

Original review: June 27, 2018

A week ago Saturday, I ordered groceries for an evening pickup. I had company coming and needed to rush. I was supposed to pick up my order between 6 and 7 pm. I arrived at the pick up location at 5:50. I was told that they were running behind and that my order was not ready, even though I had received a reminder email telling me to be sure to pick it up between 6 and 7. I asked how long it would be until my order was ready and was told she didn't know and she asked me if I could come back the next day. I told her no. I don't live in Gallatin, plus I was having company arrive. The girl had no solution for me, so I told her to cancel my order and give me a copy of my order and I would get the things myself. She finally brought me out an order.

I shopped myself, but it turned out that there were some things missing from the list. This was a total fiasco. This store apparently does not have the help they need to provide this service and therefore should not offer it. I also have had nothing but trouble with the website. Once I lost my entire order when I was done and I opted to do it at Walmart instead. Their website is awesome. I used Kroger's online ordering system twice before and it was a bit slow, but I got my order those times. This last time though has left a sour taste in my mouth and I will never use the online ordering again and will do the majority of my shopping elsewhere.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Kroger has an entrance but the carts are parked outside far away. It is not feasible for older people to park, come in the store and then go back outside and walk for the length of the store to get a cart. This store is not user friendly!!! One buys less If they can only purchase what they can carry, but it calls for another trip. So frustrating!

Original review: June 7, 2018

Well, Kroger ~ after being a loyal paying customer for nearly 20 years, I won't be shopping at any of your stores anymore. Fuel points & coupons are great, but the embarrassment caused by having my personal check for $122.00 declined in front of a store full of people with Certegy's lame explanation as to why is unacceptable. Be aware that Certegy is evasive with the reasoning and blames YOUR criteria but fails to provide any negative history. The last 10 checks I have written were to Kroger and they all cleared my account without incident. I write one at least once a month. Sometimes twice. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have been ordering cakes from this Kroger in Atascocita. Tx. for years for my company and personal events. They have a new Cake Decorating person. With that said, I will not be going back there. I Picked up a cake today. It was for a Girl at my work turning 21. I ordered 1/2 sheet Choc/white with Happy 21st Birthday Sandra. With Pink and Yellow balloons. The strings on the balloons are White and so is the Cake, so that doesnt look very good. And When they spelled Birthday, they put little letters even the b is lower case, and it looks like they forgot to put the t so they made that a Capital T. So it says Happy birThday Sandra. And with the strings blending in with the cake it looks very plain. I had another cake made there about two weeks ago for a 30th Birthday. I wasnt happy but thought I would give them another try, so I did and No not going back there again. Thank you. Need to hire a new Baker...

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have been a customer at this Kroger for many years and have as such thought the Ladies Room left much to be desired. Recently, I've been more disgusted with it. It is old and dreary looking, the floor is always somewhat wet with paper on the floor, and it smells really bad. I'm not talking about usual bathroom odors, but rather the smell of sewage. I know the store must make a lot of money, so I can't understand why some remodeling can't be done, as well as some plumbing work. Generally the store looks worn out, and most supermarkets have been remodeled in this area - Food Lion and Lowe’s Food to mention two. I really like the service I've gotten, and have no complaints about the employees - it's just the bathroom!

Kroger Company Information