3.69/5

826 Kroger Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 11, 2019

I purchased a $200 Amazon gift card at kiosk at Fred Meyer/Kroger store. It was in a heavy paper packaging that supposedly protected the claim code. Upon getting it home I found that the package had been opened the resealed and the claim code had been cut out. I immediately called both Kroger and Amazon to file a complaint. Both companies claim that they had no liability that the $200 went to someone else Amazon account.

Fred Meyer claims that they have their policy of "All gift Card sales are final; there are no refunds or exchanges. If your card is lost or stolen, damaged or destroyed it will not be replaced and the value remaining on the card is lost." is posted at all gift card kiosks. There is no policy posted anywhere at the Fred Meyer store in Hillsboro OR. When I talked to the store customer service they acknowledged that this happens fairly often. Fred Meyer/Kroger has to have some responsibility to keep the gift cards secure if they are going to enforce the all gift card sales are final.

I bought the card in good faith believing that I was getting the product I paid for. Fred Meyer/Kroger admitted that they knew there were problems with the credit cards but did nothing to prevent continued fraud. They do not have their policy posted and if customers knew that there was a good chance the gift card they were purchasing was going to be defective and they would lose their money I doubt anyone would buy a gift card. Even the radio ads are all about getting four times the fuel points if you purchase a gift card. If the store cannot keep the cards secured and safe they shouldn't be selling them. I am still out my $200 so trying to warn others about the risk involved in buying gift cards.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Kroger's pickup service is now requiring that customers who use the click pickup service also place their credit card info on file with the company. This is unnecessary in order for Kroger to process a credit card transaction, and it allows the possibility of a user's identity to get compromised in the inevitable situation where Kroger's data gets hacked at some point. Whoever made this decision at Kroger has done a huge disservice to their customers.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Spoke with Lex KY manager Carol early March regarding what appears to be slime (innards???) and a resulting black smudge left on cracker wrapper. Sent the photo and never heard from Kroger. Called on April 2, complaint was met by flippy response from (Seth) who only could imagine calling the store for a refund... Maybe alert Kroger buyer of possible contamination??? Asking to contact his supervisor left me on phone over 30 min with no pickup. Maybe it's time to lawyer up, sure to get response!

Original review: March 26, 2019

This Kroger store allows a lot of product to sit on the shelves that has expired by weeks. We didn't realize that Kroger allows their lunch meat to expire by weeks. It doesn't even look good. There are only Hispanics working here it his Grocery Store other than some of the checkers, so they don't check for Expiration Dates. Store is Dirty and not cleaned properly. If you want to get sick, just go to that store and you will catch something down by the Pharmacy. We have had the Flu from there. Not a clean place.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Absolutely furious with ClickList. I purchased my groceries on March 14th and it barely got billed today March 25th. Ridiculous if you ask me. I called them and they said their system was down and there is nothing they can do. 12 days later they charge my card. Wow! Never using ClickList again and wouldn’t recommend it to anybody else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kroger?

Original review: March 24, 2019

Went to deli department on Sunday morning at 8:30 to get one pound of deli meat. It was 8:40 am, was informed by the THREE women standing there that they did not serve customers until 9:00. Left, not going back!

Original review: March 24, 2019

I been shopping at Kroger over twenty years. There always a deal and discount love the Kroger coupons I receive in the mail. They give free things and discounts. They have a variety of products as well as international foods. The Kroger brands make it affordable for many people and myself. My dollar goes far at the store.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Why did Kroger quit carrying Ocean Spray Ruby Red Light 50 grapefruit juice? I buy this every week, it’s the only juice I can drink. I would greatly appreciate seeing this back on Kroger shelves. I love shopping at Kroger. Appreciate your help.

Original review: March 23, 2019

The store is very big and clean with a huge selection of merchandise and it’s close to my house so I don’t have to go far from home. They even have pharmacy section with other household products. It even sales a selection of made food.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I would like to know why Kroger has decided to remove so many name brand products. I go to buy certain products and they no longer have them. I remember when they started opening Marketplace Kroger. You could find so many things. Now everything is changing to Kroger products. I don't mind buying some of your products but I do like my name brands. Ask people who are shopping and they all say the same thing, yes it is getting very irritating. You can't buy what you want, feels like they are forcing you to buy Kroger. Well I got one thing to say. Remember when Thriftway Grocery Store did that and no longer around. Now I'm forced to go to Walmart to get the products I want.

Original review: March 22, 2019

My Kroger store is very nice. It's a very reliable place to shop. Kroger's have friendly employees and always standing out to help their customers the best way they can. They have a variety of groceries in stock at all times. Helping handicap people the best way they can. Making sure that they are comfortable while shopping at the store. The parking lot is very big so everyone have a place to park.

Original review: March 18, 2019

They keep cutting down on selection. Customer has to compete with employee when shopping, they block aisles and will just about knock you over to get a product off the shelf. Only 2 checkouts open most times which means longer lines. They care more about curbside customers then actual customers in store. I started shopping elsewhere since they have shown no regard for in store customers.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I love the organic foods Kroger offers. I’m a real organics fanatic, and find Kroger has more options to choose from than most grocery stores. Pair that with the fact that they offer fuel points, so what more could a girl ask for. I don’t work for Kroger, have no relatives or friends working there, I just enjoy their food choices and my fuel discounts.

Original review: March 16, 2019

The local Kroger in McConnelsville, Ohio is extremely small. Its parking lot is even smaller and it's difficult to navigate in both. The store aisles are much too narrow...2 carts going opposite directions can barely fit past each other. Some products I want aren't even stocked and require special ordering if desired. Prices are higher in this store compared to the larger store 25 miles away, and frankly, I'd purchase more and spend more if the local store was more convenient, had a larger parking lot and had a much broader product selection. On one occasion one of the cashiers was rude and argumentative while I was checking out. As a result, I try to avoid shopping there whenever I can find what I want elsewhere.

Original review: March 14, 2019

My nearest Kroger is small, therefore selection is limited to space allowed for products. Further away there is a very large Kroger that I seldom shop because of its size. Sure, it has a huge selection, but it's a day trip to cover the entire store. There is a new Kroger being built in Bluffton and it appears to cover 2 city blocks. Possibly they will sell furniture and tires too as there certainly will be room. I will not shop there!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have shopped at Kroger for years but of later years have been disappointed. First they closed the store near my family where they shopped. Then the store on the south side of town was moved and expanded. I was excited abut this but instead of increasing selection, they seem to forever discontinue brand names I've used for years because they are what I grew up with and which work best for my recipes. I have asked the local manager and written on customer satisfaction questionnaires but to no avail. Apparently managers have no control on ordering what locals want. I hear this complaint from many.

A few of the store brands are acceptable but on most I prefer the brands I like. If not for the points for gasoline, I would change completely to Publix where I often have to go to get products I want and need. We drive almost 25 miles to this Kroger since we live so far out in the country and often find items we need are out-of-stock and are told they will have tomorrow or the next week. We cannot drive that far for items out-of-stock. This means more time and travel to another store to complete our grocery list.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I was a dedicated Kroger shopper until recently. I started to notice that there were a number of expired items still on the shelves, especially in the dairy aisle. The quality of produce has decreased. When asking for assistance, associates are unfriendly and I feel like I am bothering them. If they are filling shelves and I need to grab something from that area, they appeared annoyed. Cashiers are more interested in their baggers than the customer in front of them. The cashiers also seem to have stopped identifying fuel points.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I like that store. It was the only store in Wake County NC that was worth going to. The sales were great and the line of product were better that the other stores in this area who charge 5x more for the same things or things that were not even as good. Besides, I hate Harris Teeter, Publix and Lowe’s. They are rip off, high cost stores with less quality. I miss Kroger’s.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Tried to return this gift card since it was not a function card. Requested a refund $120.00. Both employees tried to active the card but were unsuccessful. After calling another employee still unsuccessful at activating this nonfunctioning gift card, another employee appeared, would not identify herself. I believe that the card was fraudulent and told the employee. I demanded a refund. Then she questioned me as I ask was she an employee of Kroger. Her reply was "I am not going to tell you and did I not hear them call her name". She refused to give me a refund even after several failed attempts to active the card Kroger sold me to no avail. After a heated debate that I felt Kroger was selling fraudulent gift cards I called the police. I felt $120.00 was taken with this useless gift card.

After another heated debate she kept tell the employees to call the police on me. I asked for corp number and proceeded to speak with someone at corp. office. The police came. I flagged them over then ended up putting handcuffs on me, forced me to the dirty floor at the customer desk station. Then was escorted out the door, held in the police car and after several hours of just returning a nonfunction gift card I was told I could exit the police car. But first the office said this could have been all avoided. My response was yes it could have had the "Assistant manager" would have just returned my money. Kroger handles their returns this way. It should be trained and retained good management customer service. I am a 62 year old and find their behavior was completely unprofessional in all aspect of serving customers.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I shop at Kroger most of the time because it's very convenient and it has a wide range of organic products at more reasonable prices than anywhere else I've tried to shop. While I don't know how well they treat their employees, I haven't heard any negative reports, which is another reason I shop there rather than some other major store. The people are friendly but always busy; the store isn't as nice as Publix but the prices make a big difference to me. If you make a request for something they will do their best to meet it, although it seems like sometimes they have trouble meeting their supply needs. I recently ordered online for a store pickup, and it worked ok; that can be a huge boon to busy families. My main complaint is that they do have trouble with their distribution. In the past I've had meat that seemed to expire sooner than the due date, but that hasn't happened for several years.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Purchased a case of this water, opened a bottle to find a large plastic shard in the water. Have photos. Wondering how many times plastic pieces are consumed by drinking bottled water. This is completely unacceptable. Cannot drink the tap water as it contains arsenic. There needs to be stronger regulations regarding plastic in bottled water.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Am I just stupid, and everyone else KNEW that Kroger Powdered Sugar contains CORNSTARCH??? CORNSTARCH in SUGAR??? Is there a good reason for this? I don't make my cake icing with CORNSTARCH! I'm getting really sick of Corporate greed on this scale.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I go to the Kroger's in Basswood Saginaw, Fort Worth, Texas, because that's the only closest stores to my house less than 1 mile. I'm always disappointed when I reach the cashier's register, because the prices on the shelves are one price and the cashier's counter has a much more higher price. Now this is so deceiving to the customer, because you think that you are paying the sale price, but you are actually paying more. Whoever is changing the prices at the shelves are not doing their job and changing it at the register. I think this is scam because u buy a lot of items, it's difficult to check every item price at the register. My neighbors have also complained to the cashiers but no action has been taken.

Yesterday I purchased cage free eggs, in big letters it said 2 packs for $5.00 at the register it was 2.99 each and milk was 1.29 sale price on the refrigerator doors, but the register had it for 1.69. I asked the cashier to come with me to check the prices, but instead, she gave me the advertised price. I think this is happening a lot. Last week I had the same bad experience and I was asked to take my paid groceries to customer service for the refund price. That's another 30 minutes wait time there. Who has time to waste at their customer service, this should be done at the register before the prices are changed at the shelves. Kroger's is the most annoying stores that I have been to. If it was not for the convenience I will never go there! I see they have a lot of 1 stars reviews... The 5 stars are probably given by the employees!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I purchase groceries from Kroger and I had good experience till date. But I noticed that the eggplant I purchased just two days back has completely turned tender and when I cut it open, it was full brownish inside. I had to throw it since I felt it was rotten. The question is - is this normal for eggplant to get rotten in two days. I have purchased eggplants before and never experienced before.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Several neighborhoods and then the streets will have Kroger shopping carts shoved into grass, or almost sidewalk, that I have called about for months, and they will not pick them up. The simple solution if you have this problem is to call the city and they will take them and recycle. Krogers doesn't need those shopping carts. Tired of Kroger's not listening. Granted, it's not in my neighborhood as we don't have this problem, but it's a neighborhoods and on streets that I drive by every single day.

At one point, I suggest they take random shopping carts and on the inside where they're normally paid to have food advertising, put a sign saying, "if you steal this shopping cart and take off our lot, you will be photographed by parking lot security cameras. Then fined for stealing. But, what do these men know? It all falls on deaf ears. Just call your local city, and they will take their carts. Krogers can always buy more. When left on side of streets, dangerous to animals, children and they can blow into roadways and cause serious accidents. Kroger's more in tune with money, not safety of others.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I called in to the 800 number tonight due to a problem with my digital coupons. The young man who helped me was Zian ** and he assisted well and solved my problem. He was very courteous and that goes a long way with me.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I frequent this store because of its location to my house. As long as I don’t interact with the employees my experience is okay. There are a number of incidents that were unpleasant there. One such incident, two weeks ago. I went to the seafood department to buy crab legs. I walked up the counter, was the only person in line. I saw a lady behind the counter, she looked at me but didn’t say anything.

After a few minutes I asked if I could get 1 lb. of king crabs and 1/2 lb. of snow crab. She said, “Are you gonna take them home to cook or are you gonna Force me to cook them.” (I thought, heaven forbid she would have to do her job.) I said, "Ashley if you don’t mind I would like you to steam them for me." She rolled her eyes, sighed then asked what type of seasoning. I said, "Old Bay but not too much," she sighed again, then I noticed her pointing to the sign with the seasoning options. When I finally got my order she got the quantity and the seasoning wrong. I didn’t say anything, just moved on.

I went back a week ago to get more crab legs, thinking maybe service will be better this time. This time there was an older lady behind the counter, again I was the only person in line. She was wrapping seafood. She looked up, then continued to wrap the seafood. I stood there for a few minutes then said, "Excuse me, could I get some crab legs." She continued wrapping the seafood. I said, "Did you hear me?" Then she stop wrapping the seafood and came over to get the crab legs for me. She had a mean look on her face. Another time I had a basket full of groceries, saw a young lady with an empty line. When I got ready to come to her line she looked at me like, OMG a customer is coming to my line. It was clear she didn’t want me to be there. I don’t feel comfortable at this Kroger.

The other problem I have with this store is, I asked a manager over a year ago twice about them possibly ordering Blueberry pop-tarts. He told me he would talk to the Kellog man, I believe he was just blowing me off. Every time I talk to them they don’t really seem interested. I have to travel to Wal-mart or Publix which is farther from my house, if I want them because this Kroger never have them. I have never known them to ever have them in stock. I have lived here 2 years. I don’t know what the problem is at this Kroger. Maybe the employees don’t like their job, so it isn’t my fault. I should have to deal with the attitude. All the employees, of course aren’t like this but too many of them are.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I had a simple question about some Kroger brand vitamins, so submitted the online form back in October (2018). I heard back right away from Jennifer with Kroger Customer Connect, promising she'd refer the question to a "Corporate Food Tech." After a month, I inquired and she said she was waiting to hear from someone. Another month went by and finally she told me I had to call the product supplier and gave me an 800 number. The supplier put me on terminal hold! When I reported this back to Customer Service, they offered no further assistance. When I related this story to my local Kroger pharmacist (Brentwood TN), he said, "That doesn't surprise me."

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We have been shopping at Kroger for over 4 years in Maryville, Tennessee and occasionally in Knoxville, Tennessee. We have had multiple issues over the years but last night was the final straw. We will no longer shop at Kroger! Here’s the most serious issues. A couple of years back we bought fresh cod from the Maryville store and cooked it the very next day and as we started eating it we smelled ammonia, we stopped eating it and googled it and found that the ammonia smell meant it was decomposing! We called Kroger and was told to throw it out and we would have a $20 gift card waiting for us when we come back. Since we had to go out to eat that night this wasn’t much of a compensation.

A few months ago we bought pork chops at the Maryville store that we were going to cook the next day but when we took them out they were slimy to the touch, we ended up going out to eat that night as well. Understand that with our jobs and the distance we have to drive to work we eat out during the week and only eat at home on the weekends. We usually have frozen fish or frozen chicken that we thaw and cook. Rarely do buy fresh meat and our experience purchasing fresh meat from Kroger has not been good.

Last night as we walked through the Knoxville store we kept smelling something bad and couldn’t figure out what it was or where it was coming from. At the register the young man bagging our groceries noticed the smell and we were smelling the package of bacon trying to figure out where it was coming from and ended up not finding it until we got to our car. As we picked up the bag that had our sliced deli meat in it, we smelled it. We opened the bag a little and the smell would about knock you over! How did the person slicing this meat not smell it!

My husband took it back in and got our money refunded and there was no apology. He only asked if we wanted more. I’m so glad we caught this before we drove all the way home! When we did get home we realized he gave my husband the receipt for the refund but neglected to give him back our original receipt and when we put away our groceries we realized a bag of chips we bought was missing!

We have on other occasions gotten home and found things missing that we paid for. In addition very young cashiers and baggers in the evenings that are more interested in talking to each than taking care of the customers. We explained multiple times we need cold items together and explained why only to have the distracted bagger mix items. Deli people can never be consistent with slicing the meat and they make a mess with it. We have gotten sliced cheese with meat scraps on it.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I had my son purchase a whole chicken for me from the Kroger in Cypress, TX. When I saw it I could tell immediately that it did not weigh what it said. The chicken was 2.7 lbs. less than the weight showed. Since it was all I had to cook that night I kept it, but left a comment with Kroger online. When they got back to me all they said was that it could be water weight. Well I had weighed it after I took it out of the package and the water weight was only 3 oz. I got back with them and told them this and that I was still charged for over 2 extra pounds. I enclosed a picture showing the chicken in its packaging (before I took it out) with the actual weight on a scale and the sticker that shows how much it weighs and the price. I never heard back from them and am very disappointed in their lack of customer service. I usually enjoy shopping at Kroger, but have taken a lot of my business elsewhere due to getting no help in this matter.

Kroger Company Information