Ingles Markets

Compare Grocery Stores

Research top Grocery Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I am retired, on Social Security and also receive a tiny amount of food assistance that comes in very handy at the end of my month (SS pays once a month and things can get very lean by the end, especially on months that cover five weeks). In Asheville, there has always been a problem with the employees, no matter what their age, treating Ingles like it's their personal high school or whatever social milieu they moved on to after that, with untrained, uninformed kids hanging out in groups by the registers, laughing and talking and occasionally doing the minimum it takes to get customers through the line.

Their response to the frequently occurring register malfunctions is to accuse the customer of having done something wrong. The older cashiers will make up rules on the spot if they are unfamiliar with store policies and will treat the customer as if they were wrong, because everyone from the same Ingles "neighborhood" (i.e. the employees at that particular store) are of course always right.

Today was one of the worst experiences I have ever had at an Ingles, and that's going some. I wanted to use the tiny amount left on my food assistance card (I have worked all my life, but still need that small amount at the end of the month on my fixed income) and usually go through the self scanner to avoid embarrassment. One was broken and there were long lines at the rest. Because customer service is so bad at Ingles, the lines for the cashiers are always shorter. The young female cashier whose line I had to go through did not know how to handle EBT.

The other cashier she called over did not either. The line of exasperated customers behind me grew. She then called over a young, arrogant male who immediately accused me of having done something wrong, then said, without any apology, that the cashier had only been there three days. She at least was apologetic, the arrogant junior manager was extremely rude. People behind me were becoming impatient, and all of them could overhear this. I asked if I could just remove an item, which would solve the problem, and the arrogant junior manager just said that that couldn't be done (it could). He proceeded to ignore anything else I said, while giving the blond young thing careful, solicitous OJT. As I was leaving, I heard laughter and turned around to see them both laughing while watching me leave.

NO ONE should have to put up with this kind of incompetence and humiliation just to buy groceries. I have used my end-of-the month, very small, amount of EBT without any problems in other stores around Asheville. No one at any other store has ever treated me like this. Ingles has undoubtedly violated a number of anti-trust laws to maintain its stranglehold on the Asheville area. Given the lack of other choices, I can't say I will never buy another item there, but I certainly will do everything I can to make sure it is only for emergencies. Thank goodness Publix and Aldis are rapidly expanding into the area - they both have comparable prices and infinitely better employees.

Ingles is a great store that is located in smaller towns. They have a small town feel with excellent customer service. The stores are also clean, attractive with great produce, flowers and delicatessen food, home cooked meals as well as bakery. They have good prices and honor coupons too. They are sometimes slow to get the newest products but their selections are excellent. They do specialized cakes and special take out deli trays and meals. Highly Recommend.

One pint of blueberries cost over $3.00. An average grocery bill includes meat, fruit, and vegetables cost over $40.00 weekly. Prices are too high causing shoppers to buy vegetables, fruit, and meats in cans that have high fructose corn syrup because prices for non-can goods fruit, vegetables, are too expensive. Because prices are too high to buy good food, Ingles Supermarket is preventing financial hardship to low income employees making less than $12,000.00 net yearly.

My wife and I on vacation visited the Ingles Market in Cashiers NC. We had a few items needing their advantage card. Asked cashier she didn't have hers on her. A manager walked by. Told him we didn't have a card if he would scan his. He became irate and told us to use a customer's or go get our own. We were shocked to say the least. You would have thought I ask him for his credit card. We shop at Kroger Food Lion Martin's just to name a few. They have always been courteous about using their card. 80 percent of this store's business are vacationers that don't have a card. What a lousy way to do business and a lousy employee.

Just wanted to let you know what a pleasant experience it was to shop at the Kings Mountain Ingles store on Monday night @ 7:30 pm. Everyone that I came in contact with was so pleasant and wished me to have "A Bless Day". This was so uplifting to hear these days. I do not think I have been in a store of any kind for the last 10-15 years where everyone was so pleasant. Looks as if the world is turning around for the good. Hope the other Ingles Stores will adopt this and have "A BLESS DAY". I will be shopping at the Kings Mountain store again. Very neat & clean.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ingles Markets?

Ingles is a very nice store. Clean, and there's always someone to assist you. My only issue was the Laurel Lynn cheese (2lbs). I wasn't impressed at all with the taste. I'll just move on to another, that's it.

The store in Athens, TN has got ridiculously high prices. Because it is one of 3 stores in the area, most people must shop here. They do have very good sales, but they hardly ever have the sale items I buy in stock. I understand that one person may go in and buy out all of their stock on a product, but they should have enough to replace it. Especially in the meat department on lunch meat and packaged pre sliced chicken products. The salad blends are unbelievably high, and it is usually only good for 3-4 days and is already going bad. Plus, we have 7.5% taxes on groceries, which is a lot of money added to the high prices.

They do have a good soup and salad bar, and the bakery is nice. They need a better selection of cakes and pies. I am allergic to nuts, so my choices are limited. And get rid of the cheap frosting. The buttercream is so good, and with the price of a small sheet cake, they should be made with buttercream, not the whipped frosting. That stuff is awful!!! It is a good store, with lots of items you can't find at IGA or WalMart, but not everyone is a Dr. or married with 2 incomes. Us single people have a hard time affording groceries period.

First of all, I'm not in this for anything. I think it's time to go back to the testing department and rethink this Ingles brand sharp cheddar cheese. I know my cheeses, this isn't one of them. I'm not sure of the taste, either. No bite, no sharpness. I'm not certain what they're tasting in the lab. I'll always shop at Ingles, it's my stop on the way home from work, but I'll be looking for a better brand next time. I have a ways to go. My husband bought the 2 lb pack. It was costly. No need for any coupons or any such thing. I'm not returning. Just improve your product. That's all.

Let me start my review by saying "Ingles Markets" have the highest inflated above retail prices on the lowest quality foods especially the meat and produce departments. The meat they carry isn't even the industry standard black Angus or even Angus beef or even from in most cases it's not from the United States but rather from countries like Mexico, Australia, Argentina and so on. The reason the beef from other countries is much cheaper and of poor quality but yet they charge outrageous prices for it far more than the market standard black Angus beef that is raised in the United States, it's all about selling garbage grade beef with a very high profit margin.

2nd "seafood' I have noticed that even the seafood like Haddock which is caught right here in the north Atlantic Ocean along the New England coast is imported from Vietnam! Cod and Alaskan Pollack which is caught in the North Pacific ocean from Seattle Washington up to the Alaskan coastline again "Ingles" buys it from far away countries whose standards if they even have them are poor! 3rd "produce" if you look again it's of very poor quality often not even ripe and from countries like Honduras and Guatemala where it nowhere from ripe. All of these produce are grown year round in our country. How about we talk about the tasteless Tomatoes that look red and ripe but have no taste or they taste like cardboard? The reason poor produce that again is imported from 3rd world countries. The reason is that some fruit is placed in a gas that makes them appear to be ripe but it isn't.

To sum things up demand that that they start giving consumers what they pay for local Angus Beef, Seafood and produce from this country or better yet save yourself a bunch of money and get much, much better quality food elsewhere. Even Wal-Mart carries Black Angus beef for far less money and a 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. I understand Public's carries Black Angus beef. Let us put the pressure on Ingles where it hurts them most... in the pocket book! Or shop elsewhere save some money and get healthier food.

The store where we do the bulk of our food shopping has been in business at this location for close to 20 years. We are pleased with the meat department as well as some of the people who staff the store. One nicer thing (which I am sure they do not control) would be to lower meat prices. Their prices are higher in a lot of things yet where we are located gives them an advantage in that it is only about 5 miles from our home. Many of their store brand items are excellent; some are not. Whenever I have had a problem with any item, they are very quick to correct the situation. The staff at our store is hands-down excellent. You will occasionally encounter someone having a rough day... yet, they do their very best to make you feel valued.

I walked over to the deli and I was on the phone. I want to say there was maybe three or four employees visible behind the counter, not one walked over to help until I ask for help which was maybe 10 minutes. After I placed my order, a person walked up and received immediate attention. When the person returned with my order she responded by say, "You're welcome." I should have responded by saying, "For what?" I will never shop at INGLES ever again, for sure you have lost a customer, and I will talk bad about you to everyone I know due to my experience with a worker's extremely bad customer service skills.

I returned a frozen food product I was not happy with. The open box was tossed, but the manager took the unopened boxes and told the cashier "I will restock these while you do the refund". Hello, do you want to purchase frozen food that someone returned? This violates state laws, not to mention common sense (by the way the retail value of these was $12 so he was saving $6-8 to compromise food safety.) Tried to phone corporate office but no one answers their phones. Time to shop elsewhere for me!

There was an open box cutter on an orange box of Koolaid Jammers (normally my son would have reached in to get), that I picked up. I took it to the store manager and told her the situation and all she said, "Oh my goodness I will talk to my stock people." I'm very upset nothing else was done. What if my 13 autistic son or my 4.5 year old daughter would have cut their hands? Would they have done something then? I normally shop there every day or every other day. I WILL NOT be shopping there anymore. I'll take my business elsewhere.

U.S. Army retired combat veteran with many physical issues trying to get a prescription filled and it turns out the pharmacy realized it had been written wrong as they filled as written and then kept it (written script) on their counter top awaiting my return. When I return in three weeks with bottle in hand, the pharmacy cashier snatch the script up, threw it in my face and laughed as she explained it had been written wrong, no care to my pain and suffering. She enjoyed the fact that she could make fun of my pain. I have since made a complaint at Ingles corporate, over two weeks ago now, with NO response or caring from the corporate HQ, so I can only assume that it is ok to abuse veterans at Ingles.

Background: script verbiage said take two daily but number to dispense said 30, honest mistake from doctor, pharmacy knew it was wrong and should have said something instead of using this as an opportunity to make fun of a human being in pain.

Don't touch the deli or the salad open items. With a rating of 90 in Asheville, that's the worst rating I've seen. I've complained to them directly enough. Despite the problems it will cause, they need to shut down. Hadn't gone in some months and no change. It's really a potential hazard eating the food. This Ingles is near route 40 in South Asheville - the one further down by Earth Fare is fine except you can't get there easily due to the new traffic patterns.

At check out rang up everything, double checked bagging area & didn't somehow get all my food. When I called the person acted angry. I would ask if they found my food. Rude people and service.

The whole store is old and grubby-looking. Need renovations to update and make it look clean and appealing to consumer.

Everybody needs to know how Ingles is cooking food in the deli. They are cooking fish and chicken in the same oil. They don't change their oil cause you can tell by the way food looks. I have even gotten bad meat in a sandwich. Someone is going to get sick. Cross communication Ingles Deli don’t have nothing on showing they are using the same oil for fish and chicken. They can cause someone to die in using the same oil.

I am in no way trying to hurt Ingles but you need better management on how to cook. I even went in Ingles and the person I saw was so nasty she was an assistant in the deli here in GA. Her clothes were so nasty she had crap all over her jacket and the shoes beyond anything I had ever saw. DO YOU NOT HAVE A DRESS CODE? YOU NEED SAFE SERVICE IN YOUR KITCHEN for all who cook.

Where do you get these people? Do you not care we come to shop? So lately I have gone somewhere else because I did go to the front and say something but the girl is still there. I'm trying to spread word of mouth and it's a small town. Everybody knows everyone. The deli manager talks to her employees like they are dogs.

There have been numerous complaints filed with Kathryn ***** in Risk Management (828-669-2941 ext **) in regards to a chemical substance sprayed on my neck while I am shopping for necessaries in this grocery store. My first formal complaint was mailed to Ingles on May 24, 2008, after the dissatisfaction of reporting the incident to store management. It is now to my attention that employees of Ingles Markets are definitely participants in these malicious attacks.

It is no mistake when there was a repeat attack in the check-out lane, and a female cashier was standing directly behind me who could have easily sprayed a chemical on my neck resulting in the "Wet Sensation" observed while swiping my card in the machine on Oct 25, 2010 at 2:29pm in store 84. There was also a shopping cart blocking the isle making it very difficult for a customer to approach me from behind.

There was another situation when I was filling a box of doughnuts and had a similar experience, three managers were standing directly behind me and it is believed there was also participation by store personnel who will deny the occurrence by abusing their position with the company due to decentralization. On each occurrence, I suffered "severe emotional distress" and several ill effects lasting for several days. I have also sought counseling as a direct result of the paranoia sustained. These are some of the ill effects I suffered as a result of the chemical assault: blurred vision, burning stinging eyes, difficult breathing, heart palpitations, anxiety, stimulation, runny nose, panic attack, unable to make eye contact, enlarged pupil size, and sexual dysfunction. I am in the process of publishing this information on YouTube under the username "UndueHarassment" to expose this situation. Ingles has not made an effort to remedy the situation as it is continuing well beyond two years since it was reported to the corporate office.

I just cannot for the life of me understand how this company continually gets away with advertising goods as on sale and then do not carry them in the store. Their new week sales paper came out yesterday and I went to the store to purchase a few of the items on sale and 2 of the 3 items I went in for were not anywhere to be found. Last week it was organic peaches. They have yet to have one on their shelf.

Ingles Markets Company Profile