2. Shopping
  3. Grocery Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.98/5

Ingles Markets Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ingles Markets?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ingles Markets?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

It is obvious that Ingles policy on wearing masks posted at the store and on their website is nothing but a load of crap! I just returned from my local ingles store here in Landrum SC, and the number of customers not wearing masks was almost equal to the people that were wearing them. If they are not going to do anything about it then they need to stop pretending that you actually care about their customers by posting these notices. If all all businesses That have a similar mask policy stopped people at the door from entering without masks these people will quickly realize that they will have no place to go and then maybe we could bring the numbers down and get back to a normal life. All you are doing is giving these people a boldness that is unwarranted. Their ignorance and lack of caring for fellow citizens should not be rewarded!

Original review: April 24, 2020

Regarding your store in Andrews, North Carolina as of 24 April 2020 at 11:00am... NO ONE working at the store was wearing a face mask/gloves...including the manager. NO aisles were marked for one-way traffic. NO plexiglass dividers exist between cashiers and customers. NO safe distancing marks were at check-out lanes to keep customers safe. NO delivery/restocking personnel were practicing safe distances, wearing masks or gloves.

When approaching the manager to point out my concerns,

1. He did not keep a safe distance from me when discussing my complaint. I had to keep backing up in order to protect myself.
    2. He said he didn't have to wear a mask per guidelines from corporate on down. Suggesting the CDC guidelines would protect possible contamination to INGLES customers did not matter to him or his staff. (Therefore tens of customers walking around within 6 feet and without gloves or masks.)
    3. When I suggested he be an example for both staff and consumers by donning a mask and put a sign at the door for incoming to wear a mask (at minimum), he retorted the corporate policy that did not require mask precautions to keep customers safe.
    4. Carts returned while I was entering the store were not disinfected with anything. Used carts were just lined up with those unused.

5. There were no one way aisles in the entire store and customers were wandering ALL over the place.

I found this Andrews, North Carolina store completely unacceptable to shop in during COVID-19. Not everyone thinks this is a hoax and takes being in public very seriously. I wear a mask everywhere to help my germs stay with me. I expect others in public environments to do the same. Your corporate guidelines STINK and place the public at risk. Being an essential environment, your employees should be armed to the max. They should set the standard and hope customers will follow. With your management and staff so lax on the CDC's guidelines on public safety, your customers followed suit without regard to those concerned.

As of this date, shelter-in-place guidelines are still in effect for North Carolina. I expect more from my grocery store. Besides the lack of essential products offered, I found INGLES safety concerns unacceptable. The store manager requested I leave the store, which I did gladly. I might add, I will never return to your stores. INGLES doesn't deserve to serve the public.

Get buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Ingles is very expensive so, I don't shop there often. I was in their store in Hendersonville, N.C about a week ago and while their cashiers were very nice there was no plexiglass to protect them. Nor did any of them have masks on and only 3 customers had one on including myself. The lines were somewhat long and there's no "express lane". I have arthritis in my hand so I don't use "self check out", I also think they take away jobs. What really angers me is the fact that they don't have "curbside pick up or home delivery". SMH...

Original review: March 20, 2020

I have been using Ingles as a go to in an emergency shopping experience for the 2 years that I have lived in Western NC. But this morning just ended that experience. They are always higher priced than any other store, but today was just absurd. I went into the meat department to see if they had a resupply of chicken since this COVID-19 chaos started. I the cheapest chicken prices at 4.38 per pound. So I decided not to buy at that price, as it was doubled from the visit before. As I turned to walk away I caught sight of the store manager and another man walking with him, so I asked... "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?" The store manager turned and looked at me... So I said "Why has the price of chicken doubled in 1 week since I came last time?" The manager replied in an aggravated tone "The price is the same as it was!". I replied "No it isn't, the price was 1.99lb the last I purchased it!"

The Manager look straight into my eyes... And said in an angry voice... "It's a good thing you live in America where you have choices!" I turned to walk away, he continued uttering to me..."If you don't like America..." I put the groceries down on the floor, left my buggy and said "I will not return to this store.." He waved his hand in a "go away" manner. I stormed out of the store very angry. I will NEVER speak good of this store EVER!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I tried to return a nutritional supplement with the receipt. I told the lady manager at the customer service counter the product was not satisfactory, and I would like a refund. She said some nonsense that Ingles does not know how my body reacts to a product, and they could NOT give me a refund simply because I was not satisfied with the product. I informed her that Publix & Walmart allow returns. She said Ingles in Cashiers, NC would lose too much money if they returned items to people. My family & I will be traveling to Walmart & DG from now on. The employees are unprofessional, managers roll their eyes at customers, & some (not all) have an apathetic attitude. I see this as poor leadership from higher management, & will shop anywhere but Ingles from now on.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I have worked in the grocery industry over 30 years CA to the east coast. Ingles customer svc people in Asheville & Hendersonville, NC have no idea what service is. The employees are judgemental in their limited understanding & do not follow company guarantees for freshness of produce & meat. The produce has been a serious issue for returns as the avocados & greens are overripe and/or rotten. The employees take the returns with issue and are extremely rude with negative comments. Customer service is the provision of service to customers before, during and after a purchase.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

My client's car died out in the parking lot because the light was left in. The manager came out without hesitation and helped me to start my client's car. He was so friendly and helpful. Our Burnsville Ingles is A-1in my book!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

Their Ingles Advantage Card policy is unlike any similar card I've seen in half a dozen grocery stores. If you wish to sign up for an Ingles Advantage Card, you may do so, but it takes up to six months to get it approved. It's possible this policy is only true if you happen to be from out of town. In addition, if you don't use the card, it expires. So if you try to use an expired card, it won't work. You are told it is expired, and you must sign up again for a new card which takes another six months. Obviously this is designed so that you may not take "advantage" of the sale prices that are offered - since you're from out of town. The trick is to get a phone number from somebody in town and use it at the register - since just about everybody in town has the card.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I typically shop at Publix in Duncan but decided to visit Ingles in Duncan. I was looking for a particular organic brownie mix. I was happy to see they carried it. Then I noticed the expiration date was April 27 2019. The date I was there was July 21, 2019. So I started searching for a box that was not expired to no avail. Then I saw they had a few other options that were without artificial ingredients. They too were all expired (June 2019). I eventually quit looking and decided it probably wasn't the best place to buy fresh food.

As I was on my way to the checkout I saw that Breyers ice cream was on sale. I grabbed 3 ($9 For 3 was the sale price). Went to the register noticed I was being charged $5.98 for each ice cream instead of the sale price. Cashier says “you need an Ingles card to get the sale price.” The man behind me had his card out so I asked if he’d scan me. They refused to let the man scan his card for me! What a ridiculous “company policy” and neither the head cashier or the cashier gave one flip about satisfaction of a customer! They may as well given me the middle finger with their horrid attitudes! So, I kindly told them they could keep the whole order, I would take my money somewhere that appreciated their customers!

Original review: July 13, 2019

I live in Swannanoa, NC. I have always shopped with Ingles. For the past few years, the quality of the food has steadily declined. Meat and vegetables spoil before they should. Rotten mangoes, potatoes, strawberries, and oranges are common. Milk and deli meats that spoils before the expiration date indicate that it is very likely that the food has been stored improperly. Just this week, I purchased Boar's Head London Broil at almost $13 per pound. The meat spoiled in 2 days. I purchased mangoes that were beautiful on the outside, but rotten in the inside. If this was an isolated instance, I could try again as I have done so many times in the past. Even though it is much further to drive into Asheville, I will have to make it part of my routine so that I am not throwing money away for poor quality. I am not the only person who has this experience. All of my friends say the same thing!

Ingles Markets Company Information