2.11/5

40 Ingles Markets Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 7, 2019

I know that many of the reviews I've read are truly legitimate reviews. On pricing however, Ingles has always been the less expensive store in my area to shop at. It's expensive for groceries anywhere these days and that is not Ingles' fault. Of course you will have some stores better than others so I'm not discounting other reviewers. I'm simply saying that I've rarely ever had a bad experience at my Ingles. If I've purchased something out of date on accident, I've never had a problem returning it. Groceries are like any other product you purchase. You can't just take something into any random store and return it without a receipt. Save grocery receipts people. Also, our health and safety is up to you as an individual. I try to ALWAYS check dates on all food I purchase and if I find something out of date, I report it immediately.

Of course, my Ingles has been pretty great regarding management taking care of issues, so I understand the other complaints as I have traveled a lot myself and this is how I came to realize just how great my Ingles really is. I get great customer service, great meats from the butchers, and great produce. I really have no complaints. Our store is always clean, opens/closes on time. Truly no complaints, always a pleasant experience, except when it is super busy. I dont like crowds. Even then, they do well to move the line at a good speed. I only know one person that works there and she never liked me but even she is a great employee and has never been anything but professional and courteous.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I've enjoyed the assortment of nuts that have complained above. Actually was entertaining in a sad sort of way. Anyway, I like Ingles because they are privately owned by people of Southern extraction, and they are one of the very few grocery chains that still employ butchers in every store. If they ever get rid of the butchers... I will be gone. Ingles have recently redone all of the local stores, leaving very wide aisles with no piles of product in the aisles as at all the other stores, very pleasant experience.

Also, I live in a fairly rural area adjacent to Atlanta, so it is sometimes difficult to find more upscale or ethnic food ingredients, Ingles is doing much better in this area, thanks. The biggest problem with Ingles is horrible produce and fruit, ALWAYS. To make matters even worse, they are asking just crazy prices for their produce. I must ask the produce buyer for Ingles corporate... are you getting this stuff out of the dumpsters at the Atlanta Farmers Market or something? Just wow. You guys should tuck your heads in shame. Seriously.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I was reading reviews on Ingles and was completely surprised to read a lot of bad reviews. I live in Greenville, SC and shop mainly the Cherrydale Ingles but have been to several others. The cashiers are always so sweet and friendly. Plenty of anything you are looking for. Customer service is always great, a little slow but always nice and polite. And we are all only humans who always have things on our minds. So overall I have to give my Ingles a 10 for great service, friendly employees, great food and selection??? Thank you Ingles for a great store.

Original review: June 6, 2018

My experience with Gay ** in the floral department has been nothing short of fabulous!! She is so good at what she does and is always accommodating with all my floral requests for whatever the occasion. Her customer service skills are right on! Please let this great employee know how valuable she is!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I shop at Ingles because it's literally next door & I can walk. However, I must drive anywhere else to buy my produce. I don't understand how a grocery store can consistently purchase the worst fruit year after year & not know. Do they buy from the secondary market? Fruits & veggies are far too expensive to have to throw away because not ripe, artificially ripened (on outside) & clearly not ripe when try to bite into it. This hasn't happened only once or twice but consistently year after year over a 10 year period.

It's really sad because I'm willing to pay top $ --Ingles is the most expensive grocery store in this county. I've given them shot after shot at fixing this horrendous issue but they don't seem to care. They discontinue favorite products & when looking for Jiff reduced fat peanut butter (my fave, less oil) I was told by an employee there to shop at Walmart. Seriously! He was super friendly & honestly thought I would find everything I need there. Plus, he told me it was much less expensive, too. Wow. Get it together Ingles & take a minute to sample the produce you sell. It's either rotten, covered in mold & decaying or green & picked far too early.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ingles Markets?

Original review: May 12, 2019

We’ve been using your cottage sheesh for years and been quite satisfied. However the last dozen or so containers have been very, very wet... to the point when it’s places on a plate liquid runs out leaving the cheese part in a pile with a very liquid puddling spreading over the plate. On a couple of occasions your brand was not available so we used Daisy instead. We’ve decided to continue with a Daisy because it is more of a consistency we desire. It does cost a little more but we are tired of the sourly Ingles brand.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I chose Ingles over Publix in Duncan, SC ONLY because of the gas rewards, but I can't take it anymore. I eat a lot of produce and theirs is the bottom of the barrel. Most of the produce is awful!! Their avocados are the worst, very overripe and they put them on sale (which isn't a sale at all). The department is always in disarray and I'm embarrassed to put any of it in my cart, but I don't always have time to run across the street to Publix. Not today! I disgusted by their produce quality. All I can say is, "Really?"

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Ingles is the worst company ever. Their food is overpriced and you have to check the date on everything. I have purchased meat there several times that was in date but when I opened the wrapping it smelled like road kill. This is the only grocery store within miles of my home so I have to drive several miles out of the way to avoid buying from them. The produce dept. is horrible. The food is never fresh. The employees are not held accountable, are rude and unprofessional.

I once was purchasing a 6 pack of beer and had misplaced my drivers license. I had a state issue weapons permit that I can vote with and even board planes with. Oh did I mention I'm 50 years old? I was asked for an ID and I promptly provided my legal ID. The cashier refused to sale the beer to me saying I had to have a driver's license to purchase beer. I explained to her that the permit was a state issued ID and was a legal form of ID. She still refused even after seeing the state seal and government issue stamp. She still stated I had to have a driver's license. My question to her was why should I have to drive to by beer. What if I chose not to have a driver's license or for some medical reason I could not obtain one. She said that it was Ingles policy that they had to see a valid driver's license. That's when I told her; no look at the sign on the side of your register that said no alcohol without a valid ID not drivers license. She still refused.

I ask for the manager and she said she was a manager and refused to call anyone else. Essentially I left then called the store and ask to speak to the manager. I spoke with the manager and explained what happened. The manager also stated that I had to have a driver's license to buy beer. I then proceeded to explain that a carry permit was a state issue ID and that I had to be finger printed to obtain. I also ask him why I had to be able to drive to drink. Where do they find these people? I really think that the people I was dealing with has an issue with guns not the ID. I contacted cooperate about this issue and never got a response. I also have another issue with Ingles shutting down old stores to build new ones nearby and leaving the old ones empty. They promised our commissioners they would not do this but we have 2 old stores sitting empty within 10 miles of each other. Boycott Ingles.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

You must check the date on everything you buy at this store! Food poisoning is not something to brush off as “oops.” Normally, I boil water and toss ravioli in. This time, luckily I poured them into a bowl because I was going to cook a few of each of the types I bought. They were moldy. Exp. Date on package three weeks ago, 23 Dec 2018. This is very common at the store but yesterday I was in a hurry and didn’t check the date on both bags

Shopping there about a week ago we cleared a shelf of outdated dairy items (the ravioli was found in the meat section) and informed the store. In fact, the biggest majority of the times we shopped there, we have had to do the same at some place in the store. Problem is not just meat and dairy. We forgot many times we were an unpaid employee of Ingles and bought expired items we had to throw away. We also returned (can’t remember exact amount) about $16 worth of expired items on one shopping trip. It was too much to just toss. This time, it could’ve made anyone who ate these seriously ill. Unfortunately for us, Ingles is all we have near here when it comes to finding some items. I just don’t have time to do their employees' jobs and pay such high prices, especially when so many are expired. I don’t see discount store attached to their name where this stuff happens commonly.

I think the management in the store needs to be addressed as well as the lack of training for employees. But hey I really don’t think they care. I really don’t. However food poisoning is no laughing matter. If you’ve ever had it before you know how bad it is... For days. This item expired so long ago. Several of us could’ve been seriously ill and either at a doctor's office or in an ER right now. You would think in 22 days a properly taught or even a half you know what taught employee would have found this a long time ago. So please, please use caution if you shop at this store and make sure you check the dates and re-check the dates so you and your family do not get violently ill. Shop elsewhere in a hurry! And yes I am very angry at this moment.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Why is gasoline $.18 more in North Asheville than in South Asheville? Also why do Ingles employees act like they would rather be anywhere else rather than where they are? I have taken my business to Publix where the employees seem to care about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We were geocaching in the Ingles Sweetwater TN parking lot on Sunday Aug 12th 2018. A female employee, who I assume was the shift manager, came out yelling at us that this was private property and for us to leave, which we did immediately. The employee was rude and unprofessional. My first Ingles impression was terrible.

I sent the above to Ingles on August 14th. They replied: "Good morning, Thank you for taking time to alert us to your shopping experience at this location. We take complaints of this nature very seriously and I will notify the District Manager. We strive to meet our customers’ needs with courtesy and professionalism. I regret that you experienced otherwise. We value your business and appreciate your giving us a chance to make improvements." Since the above response not a peep from anyone at Ingles. When I found this page, where 28 people had reviewed Ingles with a 2 average out of 5. Very sad, but reflects my experience.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I was visiting the Ingles in Waynesville today. Robert the Store Manager (tall, heavy man with glasses) he was more interested in talking to his friend near the front door than helping a customer. He was even going to allow his friend to stand and listen??? Until I asked him if it could be private. Extremely unprofessional.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I just went to Ingles in Mills River to the Pharmacy. I was the only one in line, and the pharmacy employee talked on and on to a customer she knew. I waited 15 mins to get to the counter, only to find out they didn't have test strips. I then went to Starbucks, when 3 girls waited on 1 customer. I waited another 15 minutes, and never got served. All the same - one of the girls kept coughing and wiping her nose. Doesn't seem like the employees are in any hurry to provide service - just there to socialize and relax!

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had a gift card that was never activated and would not work. Customer service would not try to scan and activate it with manager standing beside her. I never asked for a refund. I asked her to activate it. She kept saying, "I can’t give you a refund" (I did not ask for a refund). I asked her to give me my card back as she did she kept explaining why she could not give me a refund. As I walked out of the store she yelled (not to be nice), "Have a nice day" across the store very loudly with management standing beside her. Very rude.

My daughter was with me and could not believe how she treated me and then yelled across the store to add insult to injury. My gift card never worked. I have shopped here for five years. I will never enter the Ingles Store in Ellijay, Ga again. They could care less about how they treat their customers. I just another number and so sure they won’t miss me shopping there. I wonder how many other people have experienced poor customer service at this store with employees and managers acting like this.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have always been happy with the Laura Lynn products until I recently bought the Four Cheese Pizza Ultra Thin Crust product. I actually thought a mistake had been made when I opened the box -- the pizza looked like a piece of cardboard. At first I didn't know which side was top or bottom of the pizza. If I hadn't had extra cheese & spices to doctor the pizza up, it would have been non-edible. Ingles should be ashamed to offer this product as a pizza. Also, the product is way overpriced at over $4.00 on sale. I don't have my receipt because I put pizza in freezer & cooked it a couple of weeks after I bought it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I can walk into the Elberton GA store at any time of day and pull out of date products not to mention those that have lost their "seal" i.e. bacon, lunchmeat, etc.

Seafood sells tuna that is supposed to be fresh but is dark and glistening, shrimp that are supposed to be fresh but if you get any out of the "fresh" case you can smell ammonia!! The deli serves soup that has sat there all day and is cold, you can order a meal, if you dare, as you watch employees eat or mess with their hair with/without gloves and then fix a plate to go!!! I pulled 4 boxes of out of date jerky, yes, more than likely still good but the idea is it "WAS OUT OF DATE"!!

I have addressed the store manager several times and took him over 2 pounds of rotting shallots, he doesn't seem to care!!! In Elberton we have Ingles and Save-a-Lot or we drive 20 miles to Kroger or Bi-Lo for "safe" food. I used to work for Winn-Dixie and Harris Teeter and am a chef, so I know safe food practices!! If I could give Ingles a minus grade, I would!!! I really don't see how they pass the health inspection when you can smell seafood when you walk in the door and you pick up produce that is slimy!!! This store is a disgrace as is the store manager!! Yes, I have contacted corporate with no response. The baked chicken picture was taken at almost 5pm making it a 7 hour old bird!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have been shopping at Ingles for 6 years now, since I moved to the area. I live 5 minutes away and go often. My bank card was compromised last week and I had to call my bank and cut my card up, and am waiting for my new one in the mail. I work daily and get off after bank hours, so my only option for payment was to write a check. I spent over an hour in the store, choosing my items carefully, and NEEDED to get groceries badly. When I got to the front, the cashier said it declined my check. I pulled up my bank acct. online and showed the manager that I had 3 times the amount available in my acct. She said "I'm sorry my hands are tied". I expressed that I had spent over an hour in the store and NEEDED these items. She said "it's not your fault, this happens AT LEAST once a day to us" and I said "why is this my fault?? You can clearly see the money is in my acct." She said "sorry, it's all digital and I can't do anything."

So... I wasted over an hour of my time, went home without groceries and was very disappointed in the whole experience. It's not like it was over $100. It was $69 and some change. I stood there and explained the situation about my card and she said "do you have any other form of payment?" and there were several people backing up behind me. I just think this was bad customer service, when I know they could have taken my check, ran it on another register or something could have been worked out. It wasn't my check that was the problem, it was their system. I went to another store right after this, and it took it just fine. I'm very disappointed in Ingles, it's always been my "go to" but has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Store is always clean and well stocked. They're always eager to help, put groceries in the car. They hire handicapped for the jobs they can do. There are plenty of stores so there's always one close by.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Great customer service but the food variety is seriously lacking. They have the brands I use, but no more than one or two varieties of most anything. I can even go to the dollar store for some varieties I want.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The floor freezers in store #78 in Statesville, NC have been malfunctioning for over two years now. The freezers are thawing and refreezing food causing freezer burn. I keep buying frozen food there once in a while and keep getting freezer burned food coated in ice. Every other item I have purchased has been great. People are great but the floor freezers suck. I guess I will keep giving my business to Wal-Mart.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I am retired, on Social Security and also receive a tiny amount of food assistance that comes in very handy at the end of my month (SS pays once a month and things can get very lean by the end, especially on months that cover five weeks). In Asheville, there has always been a problem with the employees, no matter what their age, treating Ingles like it's their personal high school or whatever social milieu they moved on to after that, with untrained, uninformed kids hanging out in groups by the registers, laughing and talking and occasionally doing the minimum it takes to get customers through the line.

Their response to the frequently occurring register malfunctions is to accuse the customer of having done something wrong. The older cashiers will make up rules on the spot if they are unfamiliar with store policies and will treat the customer as if they were wrong, because everyone from the same Ingles "neighborhood" (i.e. the employees at that particular store) are of course always right.

Today was one of the worst experiences I have ever had at an Ingles, and that's going some. I wanted to use the tiny amount left on my food assistance card (I have worked all my life, but still need that small amount at the end of the month on my fixed income) and usually go through the self scanner to avoid embarrassment. One was broken and there were long lines at the rest. Because customer service is so bad at Ingles, the lines for the cashiers are always shorter. The young female cashier whose line I had to go through did not know how to handle EBT.

The other cashier she called over did not either. The line of exasperated customers behind me grew. She then called over a young, arrogant male who immediately accused me of having done something wrong, then said, without any apology, that the cashier had only been there three days. She at least was apologetic, the arrogant junior manager was extremely rude. People behind me were becoming impatient, and all of them could overhear this. I asked if I could just remove an item, which would solve the problem, and the arrogant junior manager just said that that couldn't be done (it could). He proceeded to ignore anything else I said, while giving the blond young thing careful, solicitous OJT. As I was leaving, I heard laughter and turned around to see them both laughing while watching me leave.

NO ONE should have to put up with this kind of incompetence and humiliation just to buy groceries. I have used my end-of-the month, very small, amount of EBT without any problems in other stores around Asheville. No one at any other store has ever treated me like this. Ingles has undoubtedly violated a number of anti-trust laws to maintain its stranglehold on the Asheville area. Given the lack of other choices, I can't say I will never buy another item there, but I certainly will do everything I can to make sure it is only for emergencies. Thank goodness Publix and Aldis are rapidly expanding into the area - they both have comparable prices and infinitely better employees.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Ingles is a great store that is located in smaller towns. They have a small town feel with excellent customer service. The stores are also clean, attractive with great produce, flowers and delicatessen food, home cooked meals as well as bakery. They have good prices and honor coupons too. They are sometimes slow to get the newest products but their selections are excellent. They do specialized cakes and special take out deli trays and meals. Highly Recommend.

Original review: July 6, 2017

One pint of blueberries cost over $3.00. An average grocery bill includes meat, fruit, and vegetables cost over $40.00 weekly. Prices are too high causing shoppers to buy vegetables, fruit, and meats in cans that have high fructose corn syrup because prices for non-can goods fruit, vegetables, are too expensive. Because prices are too high to buy good food, Ingles Supermarket is preventing financial hardship to low income employees making less than $12,000.00 net yearly.

Original review: June 10, 2017

My wife and I on vacation visited the Ingles Market in Cashiers NC. We had a few items needing their advantage card. Asked cashier she didn't have hers on her. A manager walked by. Told him we didn't have a card if he would scan his. He became irate and told us to use a customer's or go get our own. We were shocked to say the least. You would have thought I ask him for his credit card. We shop at Kroger Food Lion Martin's just to name a few. They have always been courteous about using their card. 80 percent of this store's business are vacationers that don't have a card. What a lousy way to do business and a lousy employee.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Just wanted to let you know what a pleasant experience it was to shop at the Kings Mountain Ingles store on Monday night @ 7:30 pm. Everyone that I came in contact with was so pleasant and wished me to have "A Bless Day". This was so uplifting to hear these days. I do not think I have been in a store of any kind for the last 10-15 years where everyone was so pleasant. Looks as if the world is turning around for the good. Hope the other Ingles Stores will adopt this and have "A BLESS DAY". I will be shopping at the Kings Mountain store again. Very neat & clean.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Ingles is a very nice store. Clean, and there's always someone to assist you. My only issue was the Laurel Lynn cheese (2lbs). I wasn't impressed at all with the taste. I'll just move on to another, that's it.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

The store in Athens, TN has got ridiculously high prices. Because it is one of 3 stores in the area, most people must shop here. They do have very good sales, but they hardly ever have the sale items I buy in stock. I understand that one person may go in and buy out all of their stock on a product, but they should have enough to replace it. Especially in the meat department on lunch meat and packaged pre sliced chicken products. The salad blends are unbelievably high, and it is usually only good for 3-4 days and is already going bad. Plus, we have 7.5% taxes on groceries, which is a lot of money added to the high prices.

They do have a good soup and salad bar, and the bakery is nice. They need a better selection of cakes and pies. I am allergic to nuts, so my choices are limited. And get rid of the cheap frosting. The buttercream is so good, and with the price of a small sheet cake, they should be made with buttercream, not the whipped frosting. That stuff is awful!!! It is a good store, with lots of items you can't find at IGA or WalMart, but not everyone is a Dr. or married with 2 incomes. Us single people have a hard time affording groceries period.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

First of all, I'm not in this for anything. I think it's time to go back to the testing department and rethink this Ingles brand sharp cheddar cheese. I know my cheeses, this isn't one of them. I'm not sure of the taste, either. No bite, no sharpness. I'm not certain what they're tasting in the lab. I'll always shop at Ingles, it's my stop on the way home from work, but I'll be looking for a better brand next time. I have a ways to go. My husband bought the 2 lb pack. It was costly. No need for any coupons or any such thing. I'm not returning. Just improve your product. That's all.

Original review: June 6, 2016

Let me start my review by saying "Ingles Markets" have the highest inflated above retail prices on the lowest quality foods especially the meat and produce departments. The meat they carry isn't even the industry standard black Angus or even Angus beef or even from in most cases it's not from the United States but rather from countries like Mexico, Australia, Argentina and so on. The reason the beef from other countries is much cheaper and of poor quality but yet they charge outrageous prices for it far more than the market standard black Angus beef that is raised in the United States, it's all about selling garbage grade beef with a very high profit margin.

2nd "seafood' I have noticed that even the seafood like Haddock which is caught right here in the north Atlantic Ocean along the New England coast is imported from Vietnam! Cod and Alaskan Pollack which is caught in the North Pacific ocean from Seattle Washington up to the Alaskan coastline again "Ingles" buys it from far away countries whose standards if they even have them are poor! 3rd "produce" if you look again it's of very poor quality often not even ripe and from countries like Honduras and Guatemala where it nowhere from ripe. All of these produce are grown year round in our country. How about we talk about the tasteless Tomatoes that look red and ripe but have no taste or they taste like cardboard? The reason poor produce that again is imported from 3rd world countries. The reason is that some fruit is placed in a gas that makes them appear to be ripe but it isn't.

To sum things up demand that that they start giving consumers what they pay for local Angus Beef, Seafood and produce from this country or better yet save yourself a bunch of money and get much, much better quality food elsewhere. Even Wal-Mart carries Black Angus beef for far less money and a 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. I understand Public's carries Black Angus beef. Let us put the pressure on Ingles where it hurts them most... in the pocket book! Or shop elsewhere save some money and get healthier food.

Original review: March 25, 2016

The store where we do the bulk of our food shopping has been in business at this location for close to 20 years. We are pleased with the meat department as well as some of the people who staff the store. One nicer thing (which I am sure they do not control) would be to lower meat prices. Their prices are higher in a lot of things yet where we are located gives them an advantage in that it is only about 5 miles from our home. Many of their store brand items are excellent; some are not. Whenever I have had a problem with any item, they are very quick to correct the situation. The staff at our store is hands-down excellent. You will occasionally encounter someone having a rough day... yet, they do their very best to make you feel valued.

Ingles Markets Company Information