2. Shopping
  3. Grocery Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.05/5

Ingles Markets Reviews

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I tried to return a nutritional supplement with the receipt. I told the lady manager at the customer service counter the product was not satisfactory, and I would like a refund. She said some nonsense that Ingles does not know how my body reacts to a product, and they could NOT give me a refund simply because I was not satisfied with the product. I informed her that Publix & Walmart allow returns. She said Ingles in Cashiers, NC would lose too much money if they returned items to people. My family & I will be traveling to Walmart & DG from now on. The employees are unprofessional, managers roll their eyes at customers, & some (not all) have an apathetic attitude. I see this as poor leadership from higher management, & will shop anywhere but Ingles from now on.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I have worked in the grocery industry over 30 years CA to the east coast. Ingles customer svc people in Asheville & Hendersonville, NC have no idea what service is. The employees are judgemental in their limited understanding & do not follow company guarantees for freshness of produce & meat. The produce has been a serious issue for returns as the avocados & greens are overripe and/or rotten. The employees take the returns with issue and are extremely rude with negative comments. Customer service is the provision of service to customers before, during and after a purchase.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

My client's car died out in the parking lot because the light was left in. The manager came out without hesitation and helped me to start my client's car. He was so friendly and helpful. Our Burnsville Ingles is A-1in my book!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

Their Ingles Advantage Card policy is unlike any similar card I've seen in half a dozen grocery stores. If you wish to sign up for an Ingles Advantage Card, you may do so, but it takes up to six months to get it approved. It's possible this policy is only true if you happen to be from out of town. In addition, if you don't use the card, it expires. So if you try to use an expired card, it won't work. You are told it is expired, and you must sign up again for a new card which takes another six months. Obviously this is designed so that you may not take "advantage" of the sale prices that are offered - since you're from out of town. The trick is to get a phone number from somebody in town and use it at the register - since just about everybody in town has the card.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I typically shop at Publix in Duncan but decided to visit Ingles in Duncan. I was looking for a particular organic brownie mix. I was happy to see they carried it. Then I noticed the expiration date was April 27 2019. The date I was there was July 21, 2019. So I started searching for a box that was not expired to no avail. Then I saw they had a few other options that were without artificial ingredients. They too were all expired (June 2019). I eventually quit looking and decided it probably wasn't the best place to buy fresh food.

As I was on my way to the checkout I saw that Breyers ice cream was on sale. I grabbed 3 ($9 For 3 was the sale price). Went to the register noticed I was being charged $5.98 for each ice cream instead of the sale price. Cashier says “you need an Ingles card to get the sale price.” The man behind me had his card out so I asked if he’d scan me. They refused to let the man scan his card for me! What a ridiculous “company policy” and neither the head cashier or the cashier gave one flip about satisfaction of a customer! They may as well given me the middle finger with their horrid attitudes! So, I kindly told them they could keep the whole order, I would take my money somewhere that appreciated their customers!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ingles Markets?

Original review: July 13, 2019

I live in Swannanoa, NC. I have always shopped with Ingles. For the past few years, the quality of the food has steadily declined. Meat and vegetables spoil before they should. Rotten mangoes, potatoes, strawberries, and oranges are common. Milk and deli meats that spoils before the expiration date indicate that it is very likely that the food has been stored improperly. Just this week, I purchased Boar's Head London Broil at almost $13 per pound. The meat spoiled in 2 days. I purchased mangoes that were beautiful on the outside, but rotten in the inside. If this was an isolated instance, I could try again as I have done so many times in the past. Even though it is much further to drive into Asheville, I will have to make it part of my routine so that I am not throwing money away for poor quality. I am not the only person who has this experience. All of my friends say the same thing!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I shop at Ingles because it's literally next door & I can walk. However, I must drive anywhere else to buy my produce. I don't understand how a grocery store can consistently purchase the worst fruit year after year & not know. Do they buy from the secondary market? Fruits & veggies are far too expensive to have to throw away because not ripe, artificially ripened (on outside) & clearly not ripe when try to bite into it. This hasn't happened only once or twice but consistently year after year over a 10 year period.

It's really sad because I'm willing to pay top $ --Ingles is the most expensive grocery store in this county. I've given them shot after shot at fixing this horrendous issue but they don't seem to care. They discontinue favorite products & when looking for Jiff reduced fat peanut butter (my fave, less oil) I was told by an employee there to shop at Walmart. Seriously! He was super friendly & honestly thought I would find everything I need there. Plus, he told me it was much less expensive, too. Wow. Get it together Ingles & take a minute to sample the produce you sell. It's either rotten, covered in mold & decaying or green & picked far too early.

Original review: May 12, 2019

We’ve been using your cottage sheesh for years and been quite satisfied. However the last dozen or so containers have been very, very wet... to the point when it’s places on a plate liquid runs out leaving the cheese part in a pile with a very liquid puddling spreading over the plate. On a couple of occasions your brand was not available so we used Daisy instead. We’ve decided to continue with a Daisy because it is more of a consistency we desire. It does cost a little more but we are tired of the sourly Ingles brand.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I know that many of the reviews I've read are truly legitimate reviews. On pricing however, Ingles has always been the less expensive store in my area to shop at. It's expensive for groceries anywhere these days and that is not Ingles' fault. Of course you will have some stores better than others so I'm not discounting other reviewers. I'm simply saying that I've rarely ever had a bad experience at my Ingles. If I've purchased something out of date on accident, I've never had a problem returning it. Groceries are like any other product you purchase. You can't just take something into any random store and return it without a receipt. Save grocery receipts people. Also, our health and safety is up to you as an individual. I try to ALWAYS check dates on all food I purchase and if I find something out of date, I report it immediately.

Of course, my Ingles has been pretty great regarding management taking care of issues, so I understand the other complaints as I have traveled a lot myself and this is how I came to realize just how great my Ingles really is. I get great customer service, great meats from the butchers, and great produce. I really have no complaints. Our store is always clean, opens/closes on time. Truly no complaints, always a pleasant experience, except when it is super busy. I dont like crowds. Even then, they do well to move the line at a good speed. I only know one person that works there and she never liked me but even she is a great employee and has never been anything but professional and courteous.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I chose Ingles over Publix in Duncan, SC ONLY because of the gas rewards, but I can't take it anymore. I eat a lot of produce and theirs is the bottom of the barrel. Most of the produce is awful!! Their avocados are the worst, very overripe and they put them on sale (which isn't a sale at all). The department is always in disarray and I'm embarrassed to put any of it in my cart, but I don't always have time to run across the street to Publix. Not today! I disgusted by their produce quality. All I can say is, "Really?"

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Ingles Markets Company Information