2. Shopping
  3. Grocery Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.08/5

Ingles Markets Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ingles Markets?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ingles Markets?

Original review: March 10, 2021

We have been loyal, regular customers of the Ingles on the Westside of Morristown TN since October 2019. Since moving here I have noticed the prices are continuously increasing making them the most expensive grocer in town. Besides Walmart, Food City and Ingles are the only stores we have in town. We shop at Wal-Mart for our routine basics but they do not carry many of the items we like so we have to shop elsewhere. There many reasons but the most the important being price and selection. Unfortunately, the closest Kroger is 45 min away and not exactly practical for us to go to (we still try to shop there twice a month when we have other things to do in Knoxville).

Between Food City and Ingles, Ingles is the closest in comparison when it comes down to selection and variety as well as atmosphere so we shop there because of a lack of options. On average, we (me, my husband?, and 3 cats) have spent roughly $300 to $600 there every month since October 2019. (A total of around $4000 at the very least but probably closer to 6k for which I can prove with every single receipt which I have saved) So it is a very fair statement to say that we are in that store on a fairly regular basis and spend usually $60 or $75 minimum up to $300 each visit.

Up until this afternoon, our experience has been positive ( with the exception of their astronomical pricing) as we have always been treated with courtesy and felt welcome and at ease. Anything positive I had to say about Ingles went out the window this afternoon. We stopped in there mid afternoon for a few quick things...a salad from the salad bar, a few bakery items, some frozen snacks, milk, and some cat food. It was a quick visit as we didn't go through every isle "shopping".

After about 15 min in the store, all we had left to get was milk and cat food. We were able to skip several sections and walked the back isle of the store as we made our way to dairy. There was an upper middle aged male manager (w glasses) stocking at the end of the cereal isle. As we walked past him, he glared at us but offered no assistance or any other conversation. I would have let it go if that had been all that happened but it wasn't. He let us get about 20 ft further along then started to shadow us while continuing his unwelcoming glare. We selected our milk then chose to cut through the cooler isle to get to the cat food. I stopped and looked at a fruit drink I has never seen before during which time this manager went into the backroom and watched me from the other side of the shelf where they stock the coolers.

I have worked in retail and am familiar with security tactics regarding shoplifting which is exactly what this guy was doing. I didn't let on that I could see him through the cooler just 10 feet from me but I was now aggravated. It's what he proceeded to do that has me irate right now. From the cooler, we went over an isle and down a little to get can food. Again he was following not far behind but kept going at a quick stride towards the front registers. About 20 to 30 seconds later, an older sounding male came over the intercom with a very well known announcement aimed at deterring shoplifters with a request for a "security scan " in (Yes you guessed it,) the pet food aisle!

This guy actually thought we were shoplifting and why I don't know besides what appeared to be can obvious lack of trading or just a blatant disregard and lack of any customer appreciation. I wanted to leave my cart right there and walk out but then he would have thought he "beat us". So instead we went straight to checkout where we once again had this manager staring at us as we unloaded our cart. Not saying I agree with his behavior but if we had unintentionally done something that might have been suspicious then I wouldn't like it but I would let this go. However I know we did nothing to warrant this manager's utilization of anti theft tactics and security surveillance.

We were both dressed nicely, had our face masks on, did not even enter into areas or departments of the store containing items considered to be high theft like meat, cleaning supplies, or health and beauty. We were no where close to anything of that nature. We were quick, quiet, congenial with the deli worker at the hot bar and did not linger. The longest we we stayed in one spot was when I picked up the unfamiliar drink from the back cooler in order to read the label which was not long at all. In fact that is the only item either one of us handled but did not purchase.

The only thing that we can even think of as to why this manager honed in on us was that he thought we should have been at work during daytime hours and because we weren't it must be because we were up to no good. I guess working night shift as a freelancer places me in the "shady" category. Anyhow we proceeded to checkout during which most of the workers were all gathered watching us.. As we walked out a female manager loudly said "Goodbye" rather rudely and without a smile of the least bit while he stood 5 feet from her continuing his stealth glare. I was livid!

I had held my composure but I decided I would not stand for such unwarranted judgmental treatment. I wanted their names so I turned around and walked back to the customer service desk where the managers each had a picture with their names displayed. The female mgs stood with her hands on her hips arms crossed staring at me as I walked to the cust service desk where she was positioned. I didn't look at her and acted as if she wasn't there as I read her and the other manager's names and then turned around and said to myself "actions have consequences" and promised myself and later my husband that I would follow through on making what happened today known by Ingles Corporate and those who shop there or considering it.

Too many things like this go unreported because no one takes the time to speak up like they should. I hate posting negative reviews but the next person treated as we were might not recognize what is really going on and could even possibly be the victim of an overzealous manager who mistakenly thinks he's got a shoplifter and actually calls the cops!!! Personally, I will vote with my dollars and shop elsewhere from now on. Ingles does not deserve our hard earned dollars! We will do without before we patronize them again!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Ingles is found in the SE part of the country. It is American owned by a family right here in Asheville, NC. Their stores are spotless, great cashiers, friendly stockers, and if I've ever had a problem it always gets resolved. In fact I prefer Ingles over Publix on any day!

Get buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Store is very clean and organized. The employees courteous and friendly. They have a good selection of meats and they are fresh. They are up to date on seasonal items. They also have a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. They have a good salad bar. I eat from their hot bar a lot, it is better than the other stores. It is convenient when you want a hot meal for lunch or take to work.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

It is obvious that Ingles policy on wearing masks posted at the store and on their website is nothing but a load of crap! I just returned from my local ingles store here in Landrum SC, and the number of customers not wearing masks was almost equal to the people that were wearing them. If they are not going to do anything about it then they need to stop pretending that you actually care about their customers by posting these notices. If all all businesses That have a similar mask policy stopped people at the door from entering without masks these people will quickly realize that they will have no place to go and then maybe we could bring the numbers down and get back to a normal life. All you are doing is giving these people a boldness that is unwarranted. Their ignorance and lack of caring for fellow citizens should not be rewarded!

Original review: April 24, 2020

Regarding your store in Andrews, North Carolina as of 24 April 2020 at 11:00am... NO ONE working at the store was wearing a face mask/gloves...including the manager. NO aisles were marked for one-way traffic. NO plexiglass dividers exist between cashiers and customers. NO safe distancing marks were at check-out lanes to keep customers safe. NO delivery/restocking personnel were practicing safe distances, wearing masks or gloves.

When approaching the manager to point out my concerns,

1. He did not keep a safe distance from me when discussing my complaint. I had to keep backing up in order to protect myself.
      2. He said he didn't have to wear a mask per guidelines from corporate on down. Suggesting the CDC guidelines would protect possible contamination to INGLES customers did not matter to him or his staff. (Therefore tens of customers walking around within 6 feet and without gloves or masks.)
      3. When I suggested he be an example for both staff and consumers by donning a mask and put a sign at the door for incoming to wear a mask (at minimum), he retorted the corporate policy that did not require mask precautions to keep customers safe.
      4. Carts returned while I was entering the store were not disinfected with anything. Used carts were just lined up with those unused.

5. There were no one way aisles in the entire store and customers were wandering ALL over the place.

I found this Andrews, North Carolina store completely unacceptable to shop in during COVID-19. Not everyone thinks this is a hoax and takes being in public very seriously. I wear a mask everywhere to help my germs stay with me. I expect others in public environments to do the same. Your corporate guidelines STINK and place the public at risk. Being an essential environment, your employees should be armed to the max. They should set the standard and hope customers will follow. With your management and staff so lax on the CDC's guidelines on public safety, your customers followed suit without regard to those concerned.

As of this date, shelter-in-place guidelines are still in effect for North Carolina. I expect more from my grocery store. Besides the lack of essential products offered, I found INGLES safety concerns unacceptable. The store manager requested I leave the store, which I did gladly. I might add, I will never return to your stores. INGLES doesn't deserve to serve the public.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Ingles is very expensive so, I don't shop there often. I was in their store in Hendersonville, N.C about a week ago and while their cashiers were very nice there was no plexiglass to protect them. Nor did any of them have masks on and only 3 customers had one on including myself. The lines were somewhat long and there's no "express lane". I have arthritis in my hand so I don't use "self check out", I also think they take away jobs. What really angers me is the fact that they don't have "curbside pick up or home delivery". SMH...

Original review: March 20, 2020

I have been using Ingles as a go to in an emergency shopping experience for the 2 years that I have lived in Western NC. But this morning just ended that experience. They are always higher priced than any other store, but today was just absurd. I went into the meat department to see if they had a resupply of chicken since this COVID-19 chaos started. I the cheapest chicken prices at 4.38 per pound. So I decided not to buy at that price, as it was doubled from the visit before. As I turned to walk away I caught sight of the store manager and another man walking with him, so I asked... "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?" The store manager turned and looked at me... So I said "Why has the price of chicken doubled in 1 week since I came last time?" The manager replied in an aggravated tone "The price is the same as it was!". I replied "No it isn't, the price was 1.99lb the last I purchased it!"

The Manager look straight into my eyes... And said in an angry voice... "It's a good thing you live in America where you have choices!" I turned to walk away, he continued uttering to me..."If you don't like America..." I put the groceries down on the floor, left my buggy and said "I will not return to this store.." He waved his hand in a "go away" manner. I stormed out of the store very angry. I will NEVER speak good of this store EVER!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I tried to return a nutritional supplement with the receipt. I told the lady manager at the customer service counter the product was not satisfactory, and I would like a refund. She said some nonsense that Ingles does not know how my body reacts to a product, and they could NOT give me a refund simply because I was not satisfied with the product. I informed her that Publix & Walmart allow returns. She said Ingles in Cashiers, NC would lose too much money if they returned items to people. My family & I will be traveling to Walmart & DG from now on. The employees are unprofessional, managers roll their eyes at customers, & some (not all) have an apathetic attitude. I see this as poor leadership from higher management, & will shop anywhere but Ingles from now on.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I have worked in the grocery industry over 30 years CA to the east coast. Ingles customer svc people in Asheville & Hendersonville, NC have no idea what service is. The employees are judgemental in their limited understanding & do not follow company guarantees for freshness of produce & meat. The produce has been a serious issue for returns as the avocados & greens are overripe and/or rotten. The employees take the returns with issue and are extremely rude with negative comments. Customer service is the provision of service to customers before, during and after a purchase.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

My client's car died out in the parking lot because the light was left in. The manager came out without hesitation and helped me to start my client's car. He was so friendly and helpful. Our Burnsville Ingles is A-1in my book!

Ingles Markets Company Information