2.07/5
  • 1 star
Based on 54 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 7, 2017

62 Harris Teeter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

The associates are very friendly and helpful. They offer a variety of products, and they also offer specials for card members and double coupon day. The managers address concerns you may have.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

You simply can't beat the customer service. It doesn't appear to be forced but natural and instinctive. It's exceptional on all levels. Each department appears to maintain a balance of work control and customer interaction. I appreciate the proactive offers I receive from department staff to assist me in my search for store items. As a minority It's a great relief to feel appreciated when I walk into an intimidation-free environment, where I can conduct business worry-free, not monitored nor targeted because of the color of my skin.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Harris Teeter is clean and the store is in walking distance of my house. I go there about four times a week. All employees are professional and helpful.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

HT is a full-service grocery store; in other words you could buy everything from soup to nuts, house goods, furnace filters, and drugs/cosmetics in one trip. But they tend to be high-priced, even next to their local cousin Kroger. Their seafood and meat departments are better than K's, but the quality of their fruits and vegs are often not as good, and always more $$. Their wine prices are outrageous and change dramatically every week, so I now buy most wine at Trader Joe's. The staff is always pleasant.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I use their website to place orders online. Their personal shopper selects the items I list, and I go at my selected time and collect my groceries. Their shopper does an excellent job for me. Great service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harris Teeter?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Harris Teeter is a really delightful place to visit. Their prices are, in some ways, slightly higher than other stores; however, their selection is vast. They do have good sales allowing me to stock up on regular items. I enjoy shopping there.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The produce, meats and fresh seafood are of excellent quality as are their deli and baked breads. On the other hand. It does not offer competitive pricing in non produce products. I have asked for specific flavored tea and it rarely brings it in.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The customer service is better than most of the chain stores and the customer service and concern of the checkers makes it a pleasure to spend my money there.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I have shopped at Harris Teeter for many years (35). Since Kroger bought it, the quality has gone down. Some expired items on the shelves, house brands not as good.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have been shopping at Harris Teeter for over 16 yrs. Recently Publix moved in across the street. The 1st time I went there they gave out grand opening samples and specials. That was the last of that. Harris Teeter gives samples and specials all the time. Their customer service is great and I have never been disappointed. If ever I have to return something, they are gracious, know their repeat customers, and never question their integrity.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Ok... I have used multiple Harris Teeter throughout the DMV (DC, MD, VA) area. I used to go inside all the time but due to medical issues have had to use the "order online and pick up" options. When I went inside most locations, they seem nice, clean, stocked well, etc. But when you use the online functions the satisfaction drops significantly. The images of the products online are sub standard compared to other companies. I can't zoom in and see the details on the packaging. Many times items don't even have a preview image. I found that many times if I type in the search window a partial word, it says "no item found" but if I change "chicken strip" to "strips", all of a sudden it finds the product. You have to be very specific what word you type.

Multiple times, I was told 5-6 items on my list were unavailable so I finally parked my car, went inside (The Bowie, MD location) and found 3 out of 5 of the missing items right there on the shelf. Was the staff inept or lazy? Just yesterday, I caught them trying to put the wrong items in my car. I had to wait a long time for the correct item. I got home and 2 of the items in the bags were the wrong items. Not replacement items that are the same thing, from a different company, completely different items. I highly suggest you NEVER use the shopping online option.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have been increasingly disappointed with my shopping experiences at my local Harris Teeter on Main Street, Hilton Head Island. The following are some of my issues: About 90% of the time, I am unable to find one or more products I have purchased before. So, I end up spending valuable time searching for products that HT no longer carries. Finding someone to ask is frequently difficult.

The quality of fresh fruit, especially melons and berries, is below par and expensive. I know I can return it, but I don't want to have to make a special trip to lug it back. I would rather HT opt to put out only good quality fruit. Though I am 5'6" tall, I often can't reach products on the top shelf. There are two approaches to this problem, neither of which is satisfactory. I can wait for an employee or a tall customer to go by and ask for assistance. Or, more frequently, when no one goes by, I will try to find a gadget of some kind (e.g., a toilet bowl brush) to extend my reach.

A few of the employees who appear to be upper management could use some training in "Greeting and Treating" customers. Some of the old cliches should still apply, such as "The Customer is Always Right" and "Treat the Customer as You Would Like to Be Treated." I would like to commend some departments and employees: Most of the cashiers are efficient and friendly. ** and ** are two of my favorites. The meat department is very good, and the butchers knowledgeable, congenial, and helpful.

Same as above for the new Pharmacy as well as the wine department. Though I don't see him much anymore (perhaps due to different hours ~ not sure) **, a member of the Management Team is always cordial, efficient, and accommodating. The men who stock produce and dairy are very busy, but always take time to offer a pleasant greeting. Admittedly, I am a discerning shopper with high expectations, especially in a store that positions itself as a cut above its competition. Now retired from my business, Retail Details, I used to tell my clients, "Do It Right" or don't do it at all. As far as Harris Teeter is concerned, I am at a tipping point as to whether I will continue to shop there.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

HT was recently acquired by Kroger, and since then, the overall quality of products has decreased. Noticed especially in the meat and produce department. The bakery department uses frozen cake from which to sell for birthday/special occasions... Stale and dry.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I entered the store at 3:30 PM wanting to purchase 3 cold subs. They had 3 white buns available. I was told cheese buns would be available in 45 minutes. I came back 45 minutes later and was told they were just coming out of the oven and that they had to cool before they could be cut which I understood. By this time over an hour and a half had elapsed. I went to the service counter and told the service manager that I had been in the grocery business over 50 years and it was a general policy to have white and cheese buns available when they were featured in an ad.

It wasn't rocket science in my opinion. He paged a manager who never came to the service desk. He asked if I could wait a minute and went into the office and came out with 2 five dollar gift cards and offered an apology for what happened. He should be commended for his efforts. I was President of BeLo Markets in Norfolk, VA when I retired and previously Vice President of Colonial Stores Norfolk, VA and a Vice President of A&P Indianapolis Division before that. I felt compelled to let you know of my experience. It is not necessary to contact me. Thank you. I do most of our family shopping at Kroger.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Just went to Harris Teeter in Shirlington and asked whether they have bulk nuts. The sales person responded by rolling her eyes and saying "We don't have anything like that." She seemed utterly disgusted by my question and having to do me the favor of responding. I am in utter shock.

Original review: June 17, 2017

Cashier informed me today I couldn't use my blue evic coupon even though there is no expiration. I was never given notice at anytime of their new policy. I waited 45 mins for deli to give me a turkey breast then I was told I couldn't use my blue evic coupon. They don't make enough turkey breasts and they sell out of turkeys fast so I was not able to use my coupon any sooner, if there weren't any turkey breasts. The manager on duty refused to let me use my evic coupon. I have been a loyal HT customer for at least 17 years but am seriously considering going to Publix now. I was so disappointed in Jamie the manager on duty at the Mountain Island Harris Teeter. I definitely am telling all my friends to not go to HT. We should have been given notice of their new policy and they should exchange the blues ones for the red ones. Terrible customer service. This store will definitely reap what it sowed today!

Original review: June 12, 2017

The Potomac Yards location was very nice when it first opened up a few years ago. They had a terrible flood & had to renovate. Since reopening the store hasn't been the same with customer service or stocking of product freshness in departments that has expiration dates that are readable to the customer. I don't know if management cares or what the issue is but the traffic of $$$ must be a lot less than they projected. Courtesy & freshness is a must in the grocery bag!!!

Original review: May 14, 2017

I had visit to my local Harris Teeter in Lansdowne today May 14, Mother's Day and our wedding anniversary also, I found a wonderful card to give my husband and would like to get some flower by myself for dining table. When I step by Floral Department, manager was out, but some old man, who was in orange vest was picking bouquets from small vases on floor and staking them over and over and over in one bigger black vase on floor. I picked up two peonies bouquets and it was a distant between water level and bouquets. Lots of them from the top of vase almost 18 inch, so a lot of flowers couldn't hydrate and lasting proper time. I am nicely said to that man- employee about flowers and water level way too below, he wouldn't and won't listen and started raising his voice on me and manipulate his hands by saying: They are OK, YOU, YOU ATE TIME OUT and showed to me ''time out'' hands sign...

I was in shock, be honest, I asked him what is his name? He did not say, but I saw his tag with name as a Nick. I said to him that, "It's not right to talk to customers like that, and I did not say anything wrong to you, it was a proper help," and he replied, "Oh, GO, GO and complain and I will tell, you are a LIAR!" I told manager in front-end about his attitude, she promised talk to him, but on my way out I saw him at the door and he started yelling at me again and again. My question is, WHY they are hiring emotionally not stable people for ruining our special days, birthdays, anniversaries and life, because we are all hard workers and want to be respectful! I left store without flowers...

Original review: May 10, 2017

On May 10, 2017 the Highland Creek store refused to prepare additional fried chickens during dinner shopping rush. This location usually does not prepare enough for customer volume (Less than 8 buckets) yet services an extremely highly populated community from Concord, Huntersville, Pineville, and North Charlotte. This refusal happened on three separate occasions while their least competent staff was working the bakery/deli department. I'll be taking my business to the nearby Publix and BI-LO in the future. Shame on them for investing in a lovely new in-store Starbucks and pizza cafe while hiring subpar underperforming staff.

Original review: April 18, 2017

On April 15, 2017 I visited the Fair Ridge Dr Fairfax VA store. I was at Customer Service to get Rainchecks (very common since the products they advertise are not in stock). They were new rain checks with a expiry date of 60 Days. I casually asked what happens to the previous Rain checks. The manager on duty Allen said they're not going to accept them past May 31, 2017. I informed him they don't expire. He said Corporate policy. Nowhere does it say they can be changed or they can stop refusing to accept them. Unethical behavior. Take your Business somewhere else! Harris Teeter is owned by Kroger. All they think about is making money!

Original review: April 4, 2017

For several weeks I have been able to purchase Gala Apples for 99c per lb. Best price in town! And for a healthy Apple Sauce, simply peel, core, and cut apples into pieces, place in enameled saucepan with a squeeze of lemon juice, and a very small amount of water. Simmer until soft, mash with potato masher (could be blended for a smoother apple sauce). And you have an inexpensive, healthy homemade apple sauce.

Original review: March 26, 2017

I hear the store director calls out which sections for security cameras to scan the moment I enter. It's insulting. Today, I returned the store brand whipped cream and 2 Sunkist smiles. She, the manager says "you return a lot of items. Is there anything I can do to make you happy with our products." I just said "I return anything that tastes off to me." Whether it's rotten, or an odd flavor, or it makes me sick. I have returned bakery, milk, eggs, some produce. She then says "don't forget to get your "FREE" cookies."

So I know that she was referring to my returning the store brand for cash and replacement. She believes I want free food. Harris Teeter dumps all the bakery, pizza, Asian and salad bar into the trash every night when they could donate it to the poor and she's insulting me for returning items that I think are spoiled, or are just not great tasting? She's young and classless and doesn't know how to speak to customers, that's why I will continue to shop at Publix. They don't track returns or what I have bought.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I started shopping at the Harris Teeter in Shirlington VA about 3 years ago. Their breads, milk, cello salads and spinach go bad before the Sell By date. This seems to be a "red-headed stepchild" store although it serves a fairly exclusive area. In the last year I've returned several products including milk, bread, peaches, and filet mignon which was full of sinew. I have half of a gallon of HT 2% milk in the refrigerator that's beginning to go bad with a Sell By date of Jan 25 (writing this Jan 16). My fridge works great and is always cold. I've stopped shopping in the produce section, nothing there is appealing. Recently they sold beautiful but HUGE apples, one of which I weighed at 3/4 lb. 3/4 lb apples are too big for a single person to finish so the rest usually goes into the trash. Btw the apples are priced by the pound.

But the most aggravating part of my shopping experience here are the parking meters in each slot in the covered lot adjacent to the store. The meters are labeled "Free Parking". Except in smaller type is "Push Button to Park" (or similar). So you must push the button to register 60 minutes' parking. It costs nothing and you can push it as many times as you're willing to stop shopping and run out to your car, but if you don't notice or forget to push the button you risk a parking cop leaving a ticket on your windshield with a $15 fine. Neither my wife or I had ever noticed the button until we received a ticket. I'd like to know what this accomplishes. Rushing your customers to finish their shopping in 60 minutes, making them furious when they receive a ticket, or minimal profits you receive while doing the aforementioned. Think about it guys, does this policy really benefit HT or its customers?

As others have written the only reason I shop here is its proximity to my home. HT needs to show a bit more care with its customers.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

The store is well-lit, has wide aisles and the people who work here are very nice. They have excellent customer service and if they don't have a product available, they will substitute another product. Vic and e-Vic specials are excellent and they have lots of buy one get one free, and buy 2 get 3 free promotions. The other thing that I really like is their meals... you can get complete meals in the Fresh Foods section for 6 or 9 or $12 and they are an amazing value.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

This is the only market in walking distance so I have nowhere else to go. I wish I did, because most of the employees look at me like I'm garbage, and I hear the store director calls out which sections for security cameras to scan the moment I enter. It's insulting. Not only that, but I have taken home spoiled chicken, ground beef, bakery products, bacon and lunch meat. With ground beef, when you pull the plastic off the tray, you see another layer underneath. Then the smell hits you. Being handicapped and since walking is painful, I can't turn around and take it back. All I can do is toss it in the trash.

I run out of money every month because I'm stuck shopping here, and to buy food I can't even eat is a slap in my face. And I don't want to complain. I'm afraid they'll retaliate. This is not a high-end grocery. Their prices say so, but their atrocious store manager and customer service people make me wish a Giant Food were in its place.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

I started shopping in this Harris Teeter since about 3 years ago. But in the last few months it has become unbearable. I used to like their breads for half of the times I bought it there but lately the breads are stale and sometimes even moldy. The personnel working at the bread stand seems uninterested when I tell them about the deteriorating quality of the bread products. Also I have been telling them for over a month now that their bread slicer is not working right because of huge holes in the middle of the bread, but they don't seem to care. I told the manager a few times but nothing has changed.

Besides the bread quality disaster, also a lot of their prepared dishes for sale in the deli section are spoiled! I had this happen to me a few times and of course I only discovered when I opened the container... Then the "fresh" products are not fresh at all. On several occasions I had bought kale and spinach pre-packed but "fresh" and when I opened it a stench of rotten greens was released in my kitchen! And the prices of products are high, but I guess that is because of the location of the store? For example a gallon of 1% lactose free milk is 6.07$ at HT (on sale) but at Wegmans I find the same gallon $4.5 (NOT on sale). And last but not least, the cashiers need training on how to pack products. For example, on multiple occasions my eggs were crushed and frozen products or meat not packed separately.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

Stupid signs. Harris Teeter customers only one hour to eat. Certain people are allowed to stay in the store longer than one hour while paying homeless customers are harassed to leave and being watched by management repeatedly. Construction workers bring outside food in the store and nothing is said to them at all. The old town alexandria store manager is very anti-homeless and has favoritism when it comes to those who drive fancy cars and dress nice over the minority groups who shop there.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

The milk has a sell by date that is only a few days into the future and sometimes already past the sell by date. This is a regular occurrence. Consequently, the milk sours soon after the sell by date with at least half the gallon still in the jug. Surely, Harris Teeter can do better than this.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I regularly shop at Harris Teeter Northcross in Huntersville NC. There is a nasty employee by the name Melissa **. She is always loud and obnoxious with an annoying laugh like a hyena. Anyway. One Wednesday night a woman of ** descent came in with two kids. The kids were 2 and 3 at the most. The kids were being kids being loud and whatnot. This Melissa had the nerve to say that this woman was a bad mother because she popped one of the kids on the tush for showing out. How dare she?

This woman did not abuse her kids. The pop was so light, the kid didn't even cry. I also heard her mention "** women" then laugh. This woman has no business working here. How racist is that? Employees I've spoken to says she has an award for outstanding customer service. Really Harris Teeter? This woman is a fake, a phony, and a downright undercover racist. I may not return to your store as long as people like her work there.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

I've been shopping at the Highland Creek Harris Teeter for about 10 years and it has gone steadily downhill. It has never been the best place to shop, but it's convenient. They are constantly out of stock on advertised items. You need an employee to find anything. Try finding an individual can of say V-8. You would think it would be on the juice aisle with the other juice and you would be wrong! Try ordering something from the deli department where the employees are among the most miserable employees (if there's one at the deli counter in the first place). You can stand at the deli counter, ring the bell, wave your hands and then find something else to buy since you aren't getting any service.

Employees in this department are not permitted to smile. You can buy some moldy berries, bad oranges, green potatoes or you can leave and go to Publix where you will find friendly employees willing to help with a smile. They are opening a Publix across the street from this miserable Harris Teeter and I think it will reduce the time you wait in line on a crowded end of work day as those of us who are disgusted with rotten produce, bad service and out of stock advertised items flock to Publix. They have expanded this store recently to include a Starbucks, a pizza bar and a salad bar. Prior to Publix building across, they could care less if the people using this store had any of these amenities. Motto should be Harris Teeter, Who Needs Customers.

Harris Teeter Company Information