2.00/5
Based on 64 reviews that contain star ratings

72 Harris Teeter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

So like usual I go to Harris Teeter for items on sale or better yet on eVic at a great price. However, they never have the items in stock most of the time. So I will get a rain check. The last several rain checks have had the incorrect amount on them. I was not paying attention because I went to buy something else on sale so the lady put them in my buggy with my bags. When I got home I put them up and did not pay attention to them until a week later when I grabbed them to go and get the items. The prices for the creamer was an eVic at 1.77 and my rain check said 2 for 5.00. The drinks were 97 cents and my rain check said 2 for 4.00. There were 3 other rain checks that I could not find so we will look at these.

I called customer service and was told that HT would honor the price that was listed at 1.77 and 97 cents and that I needed to go to the counter at the store and have them look up the old price for me. Well, HT store manager said they could NOT look up the old price. So again I called CS and they gave me the website and guess what I found...the right prices on HT webpage. I am just trying to understand why they want to mess with people’s money. It is almost like they really do not want you to get an item at the price they post. And they are just too lazy to look it up. Either way, if you continue to shop there, please look at your rain checks and question everything that is not right. Coffee Mate Creamers, 32 oz, Limit 4 - $1.77. Capri Sun 10 ct, Limit 4 - $0.97.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I walked into this store and almost instantly, the infamous announcement was made. "Security check all aisles and report back." It's so unnerving when the announcement is heard. I guess they don't like ** people in their store. As you know, not all stores are set up the same. I had a couple of items in my cart and was trying to find an item in the refrigerated aisle. When I realized it was not where I thought it was, I turned around to see where else it could be. As I turned my cart, an announcement was IMMEDIATELY made over the intercom to check all aisles and report back. I KNEW for sure, they were watching me at that point. Extremely unnerving. I usually go to Food Lion but for certain items I would try going to HT. This type of treatment is also received at the Harris Teeter near the University YMCA, off of WT Harris in Charlotte, NC. Totally unacceptable. Racist store. Won't be back.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Went to the meat department of store #69 to get some lamb, the fresh lamb was placed under the clearance lamb which HAD TURNED GREEN! So I go to the store manager and tell him about because there was no attendant in sight around 3pm on a Saturday. He says “Oh, well we will just make sure that never happens again.” I told him someone will get very ill eating that, he really did not look as if he cared. So I’ve been back and several times they are still stuck on trying to sale rancid meat, I am not wasting my time to speak with management again. Disgusting.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Columbia Maryland, is short staffed, per the store manager, by the name of Angela, who stated to me the reason, why the store only had two cashiers working on a Saturday, when most people do their shopping on their day off, is the reason I had to stand in the self check out line, with registers that did not work and no assistance provided.

After I stood there for over 10 min, With No Help, then had to carry my grocery to another line that I had already bagged. I ask to speak to the manager on shift, she was in the back doing who knows what...but at the same time telling me they are working short, so I asked her why isn't she up front helping and why is another employee just standing behind the customer service desk, when they all should be helping ring up customers, to get the line down. She was rude, very disrespectful and don't know how she ever made it to be a store shift manager. Very poor customer service, not enough help at this location. Will never shop the Columbia Maryland location again.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Harris Teeter is the worst. The chicken & seafood is all previously frozen. The produce occasionally is ok but often I see spoiled fruit. I have gotten home and opened watermelons that were spoiled on more than one occasion. The bakery has messed up so many birthday cakes I have lost count. The last one I ordered was a quarter sheet and it was stale. The Mgr said the sheets are not baked there. That makes no sense and is no excuse. I have had to return products such as dried cherries that were expired the day I bought them to go look at the shelf to find the entire shelf were all expired. I have seen many dented cans on shelves.

With Publix in town now I am so much happier. Everything is fresh and delicious. No silly loyalty card to carry and they always bring my groceries to the car. I remember being 8 months pregnant and upset having to ask for help to my car at Harris Teeter. I really wish when Lowe's went out of my area Harris Teeter didn't go put their stores in those locations. They knew Publix was coming and were scared. Rightly so because Publix runs circles around them. They have an excellent bakery, produce, fresh seafood, and fresh meat counter and not frozen at Publix. I have never gotten anything spoiled, expired, dented, or previously frozen at a fresh counter at Publix. Harris Teeter needs to take a lesson from Publix big time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harris Teeter?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Reason for review is my dislike on the checkout. When checking out, you place your cart front of cashier, and then pay on the opposite side, which is very inconvenient since customer to your left has his cart place exactly where you suppose to pay, which is ludicrous.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

This is at least the 2nd-3rd time advertised specials were not applied at checkout. I provided the cashier my VIC # and received some, but not all of the advertised prices. When I've gone back to complain, they refund the difference with no explanation. Makes one wonder for every one person who checks their cash register receipt how many don't? I've got 2 other choices to grocery shop in my town and guess I will be frequenting them more often.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I've shopped in various Harris Teeter stores for over 50 years and Store 457 located at 1220 Ben Sawyer Blvd in Mt Pleasant, S.C is not only the worse Harris Teeter I've been in, but the worse imaginable store. I could go on all day, but let me suffice it to say: 1. Management is clueless; 2. The customer service department is rude, indifferent, and slow; 3. The lines (including the self service line) is worse than Wal Mart; 4. They are repeatedly out of sale items. It astonishes me how bad they are and makes clear why the nearby Publix does twice their business. Stay away from the named store. It's horrible.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I like that Harris Teeter hire mentally challenged folks for bagging the groceries and helping to deliver to your car and employees are friendly and knowledgeable about products. Pricing is competitive, store is usually very clean, product is laid out well, easy to find.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Most of the time I receive very good CS, but there is a cashier there that should not be working anywhere. The management is good but the produce Mgr. is not very customer friendly.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

The associates are very friendly and helpful. They offer a variety of products, and they also offer specials for card members and double coupon day. The managers address concerns you may have.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

You simply can't beat the customer service. It doesn't appear to be forced but natural and instinctive. It's exceptional on all levels. Each department appears to maintain a balance of work control and customer interaction. I appreciate the proactive offers I receive from department staff to assist me in my search for store items. As a minority It's a great relief to feel appreciated when I walk into an intimidation-free environment, where I can conduct business worry-free, not monitored nor targeted because of the color of my skin.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Harris Teeter is clean and the store is in walking distance of my house. I go there about four times a week. All employees are professional and helpful.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

HT is a full-service grocery store; in other words you could buy everything from soup to nuts, house goods, furnace filters, and drugs/cosmetics in one trip. But they tend to be high-priced, even next to their local cousin Kroger. Their seafood and meat departments are better than K's, but the quality of their fruits and vegs are often not as good, and always more $$. Their wine prices are outrageous and change dramatically every week, so I now buy most wine at Trader Joe's. The staff is always pleasant.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I use their website to place orders online. Their personal shopper selects the items I list, and I go at my selected time and collect my groceries. Their shopper does an excellent job for me. Great service.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Harris Teeter is a really delightful place to visit. Their prices are, in some ways, slightly higher than other stores; however, their selection is vast. They do have good sales allowing me to stock up on regular items. I enjoy shopping there.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The produce, meats and fresh seafood are of excellent quality as are their deli and baked breads. On the other hand. It does not offer competitive pricing in non produce products. I have asked for specific flavored tea and it rarely brings it in.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The customer service is better than most of the chain stores and the customer service and concern of the checkers makes it a pleasure to spend my money there.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I have shopped at Harris Teeter for many years (35). Since Kroger bought it, the quality has gone down. Some expired items on the shelves, house brands not as good.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have been shopping at Harris Teeter for over 16 yrs. Recently Publix moved in across the street. The 1st time I went there they gave out grand opening samples and specials. That was the last of that. Harris Teeter gives samples and specials all the time. Their customer service is great and I have never been disappointed. If ever I have to return something, they are gracious, know their repeat customers, and never question their integrity.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Ok... I have used multiple Harris Teeter throughout the DMV (DC, MD, VA) area. I used to go inside all the time but due to medical issues have had to use the "order online and pick up" options. When I went inside most locations, they seem nice, clean, stocked well, etc. But when you use the online functions the satisfaction drops significantly. The images of the products online are sub standard compared to other companies. I can't zoom in and see the details on the packaging. Many times items don't even have a preview image. I found that many times if I type in the search window a partial word, it says "no item found" but if I change "chicken strip" to "strips", all of a sudden it finds the product. You have to be very specific what word you type.

Multiple times, I was told 5-6 items on my list were unavailable so I finally parked my car, went inside (The Bowie, MD location) and found 3 out of 5 of the missing items right there on the shelf. Was the staff inept or lazy? Just yesterday, I caught them trying to put the wrong items in my car. I had to wait a long time for the correct item. I got home and 2 of the items in the bags were the wrong items. Not replacement items that are the same thing, from a different company, completely different items. I highly suggest you NEVER use the shopping online option.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have been increasingly disappointed with my shopping experiences at my local Harris Teeter on Main Street, Hilton Head Island. The following are some of my issues: About 90% of the time, I am unable to find one or more products I have purchased before. So, I end up spending valuable time searching for products that HT no longer carries. Finding someone to ask is frequently difficult.

The quality of fresh fruit, especially melons and berries, is below par and expensive. I know I can return it, but I don't want to have to make a special trip to lug it back. I would rather HT opt to put out only good quality fruit. Though I am 5'6" tall, I often can't reach products on the top shelf. There are two approaches to this problem, neither of which is satisfactory. I can wait for an employee or a tall customer to go by and ask for assistance. Or, more frequently, when no one goes by, I will try to find a gadget of some kind (e.g., a toilet bowl brush) to extend my reach.

A few of the employees who appear to be upper management could use some training in "Greeting and Treating" customers. Some of the old cliches should still apply, such as "The Customer is Always Right" and "Treat the Customer as You Would Like to Be Treated." I would like to commend some departments and employees: Most of the cashiers are efficient and friendly. ** and ** are two of my favorites. The meat department is very good, and the butchers knowledgeable, congenial, and helpful.

Same as above for the new Pharmacy as well as the wine department. Though I don't see him much anymore (perhaps due to different hours ~ not sure) **, a member of the Management Team is always cordial, efficient, and accommodating. The men who stock produce and dairy are very busy, but always take time to offer a pleasant greeting. Admittedly, I am a discerning shopper with high expectations, especially in a store that positions itself as a cut above its competition. Now retired from my business, Retail Details, I used to tell my clients, "Do It Right" or don't do it at all. As far as Harris Teeter is concerned, I am at a tipping point as to whether I will continue to shop there.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

HT was recently acquired by Kroger, and since then, the overall quality of products has decreased. Noticed especially in the meat and produce department. The bakery department uses frozen cake from which to sell for birthday/special occasions... Stale and dry.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I entered the store at 3:30 PM wanting to purchase 3 cold subs. They had 3 white buns available. I was told cheese buns would be available in 45 minutes. I came back 45 minutes later and was told they were just coming out of the oven and that they had to cool before they could be cut which I understood. By this time over an hour and a half had elapsed. I went to the service counter and told the service manager that I had been in the grocery business over 50 years and it was a general policy to have white and cheese buns available when they were featured in an ad.

It wasn't rocket science in my opinion. He paged a manager who never came to the service desk. He asked if I could wait a minute and went into the office and came out with 2 five dollar gift cards and offered an apology for what happened. He should be commended for his efforts. I was President of BeLo Markets in Norfolk, VA when I retired and previously Vice President of Colonial Stores Norfolk, VA and a Vice President of A&P Indianapolis Division before that. I felt compelled to let you know of my experience. It is not necessary to contact me. Thank you. I do most of our family shopping at Kroger.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Just went to Harris Teeter in Shirlington and asked whether they have bulk nuts. The sales person responded by rolling her eyes and saying "We don't have anything like that." She seemed utterly disgusted by my question and having to do me the favor of responding. I am in utter shock.

Original review: June 17, 2017

Cashier informed me today I couldn't use my blue evic coupon even though there is no expiration. I was never given notice at anytime of their new policy. I waited 45 mins for deli to give me a turkey breast then I was told I couldn't use my blue evic coupon. They don't make enough turkey breasts and they sell out of turkeys fast so I was not able to use my coupon any sooner, if there weren't any turkey breasts. The manager on duty refused to let me use my evic coupon. I have been a loyal HT customer for at least 17 years but am seriously considering going to Publix now. I was so disappointed in Jamie the manager on duty at the Mountain Island Harris Teeter. I definitely am telling all my friends to not go to HT. We should have been given notice of their new policy and they should exchange the blues ones for the red ones. Terrible customer service. This store will definitely reap what it sowed today!

Original review: June 12, 2017

The Potomac Yards location was very nice when it first opened up a few years ago. They had a terrible flood & had to renovate. Since reopening the store hasn't been the same with customer service or stocking of product freshness in departments that has expiration dates that are readable to the customer. I don't know if management cares or what the issue is but the traffic of $$$ must be a lot less than they projected. Courtesy & freshness is a must in the grocery bag!!!

Original review: May 14, 2017

I had visit to my local Harris Teeter in Lansdowne today May 14, Mother's Day and our wedding anniversary also, I found a wonderful card to give my husband and would like to get some flower by myself for dining table. When I step by Floral Department, manager was out, but some old man, who was in orange vest was picking bouquets from small vases on floor and staking them over and over and over in one bigger black vase on floor. I picked up two peonies bouquets and it was a distant between water level and bouquets. Lots of them from the top of vase almost 18 inch, so a lot of flowers couldn't hydrate and lasting proper time. I am nicely said to that man- employee about flowers and water level way too below, he wouldn't and won't listen and started raising his voice on me and manipulate his hands by saying: They are OK, YOU, YOU ATE TIME OUT and showed to me ''time out'' hands sign...

I was in shock, be honest, I asked him what is his name? He did not say, but I saw his tag with name as a Nick. I said to him that, "It's not right to talk to customers like that, and I did not say anything wrong to you, it was a proper help," and he replied, "Oh, GO, GO and complain and I will tell, you are a LIAR!" I told manager in front-end about his attitude, she promised talk to him, but on my way out I saw him at the door and he started yelling at me again and again. My question is, WHY they are hiring emotionally not stable people for ruining our special days, birthdays, anniversaries and life, because we are all hard workers and want to be respectful! I left store without flowers...

Original review: May 10, 2017

On May 10, 2017 the Highland Creek store refused to prepare additional fried chickens during dinner shopping rush. This location usually does not prepare enough for customer volume (Less than 8 buckets) yet services an extremely highly populated community from Concord, Huntersville, Pineville, and North Charlotte. This refusal happened on three separate occasions while their least competent staff was working the bakery/deli department. I'll be taking my business to the nearby Publix and BI-LO in the future. Shame on them for investing in a lovely new in-store Starbucks and pizza cafe while hiring subpar underperforming staff.

Original review: April 18, 2017

On April 15, 2017 I visited the Fair Ridge Dr Fairfax VA store. I was at Customer Service to get Rainchecks (very common since the products they advertise are not in stock). They were new rain checks with a expiry date of 60 Days. I casually asked what happens to the previous Rain checks. The manager on duty Allen said they're not going to accept them past May 31, 2017. I informed him they don't expire. He said Corporate policy. Nowhere does it say they can be changed or they can stop refusing to accept them. Unethical behavior. Take your Business somewhere else! Harris Teeter is owned by Kroger. All they think about is making money!

Harris Teeter Company Information