Harris Teeter

Compare Supermarkets

Research top Supermarkets recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Stupid signs. Harris Teeter customers only one hour to eat. Certain people are allowed to stay in the store longer than one hour while paying homeless customers are harassed to leave and being watched by management repeatedly. Construction workers bring outside food in the store and nothing is said to them at all. The old town alexandria store manager is very anti-homeless and has favoritism when it comes to those who drive fancy cars and dress nice over the minority groups who shop there.

The milk has a sell by date that is only a few days into the future and sometimes already past the sell by date. This is a regular occurrence. Consequently, the milk sours soon after the sell by date with at least half the gallon still in the jug. Surely, Harris Teeter can do better than this.

I regularly shop at Harris Teeter Northcross in Huntersville NC. There is a nasty employee by the name Melissa **. She is always loud and obnoxious with an annoying laugh like a hyena. Anyway. One Wednesday night a woman of ** descent came in with two kids. The kids were 2 and 3 at the most. The kids were being kids being loud and whatnot. This Melissa had the nerve to say that this woman was a bad mother because she popped one of the kids on the tush for showing out. How dare she?

This woman did not abuse her kids. The pop was so light, the kid didn't even cry. I also heard her mention "** women" then laugh. This woman has no business working here. How racist is that? Employees I've spoken to says she has an award for outstanding customer service. Really Harris Teeter? This woman is a fake, a phony, and a downright undercover racist. I may not return to your store as long as people like her work there.

I've been shopping at the Highland Creek Harris Teeter for about 10 years and it has gone steadily downhill. It has never been the best place to shop, but it's convenient. They are constantly out of stock on advertised items. You need an employee to find anything. Try finding an individual can of say V-8. You would think it would be on the juice aisle with the other juice and you would be wrong! Try ordering something from the deli department where the employees are among the most miserable employees (if there's one at the deli counter in the first place). You can stand at the deli counter, ring the bell, wave your hands and then find something else to buy since you aren't getting any service.

Employees in this department are not permitted to smile. You can buy some moldy berries, bad oranges, green potatoes or you can leave and go to Publix where you will find friendly employees willing to help with a smile. They are opening a Publix across the street from this miserable Harris Teeter and I think it will reduce the time you wait in line on a crowded end of work day as those of us who are disgusted with rotten produce, bad service and out of stock advertised items flock to Publix. They have expanded this store recently to include a Starbucks, a pizza bar and a salad bar. Prior to Publix building across, they could care less if the people using this store had any of these amenities. Motto should be Harris Teeter, Who Needs Customers.

Cubed steaks purchased at Harris Teeter in Old Town Alexandria VA 22314. My gum was more than likely punctured or agitated by the attempt to chew my steak. Currently, I struggle with headaches on the side I was chewing with. Not sure if it's due to the impact of the metal contacting my back molar but I certainly wasn't experiencing the frequent headaches prior to this incident. It seemed like my tooth may have chipped a bit as the molar now feels a little sharp when grazed by my tongue. Not sure if this will potentially become a problem. Currently it's just uncomfortable to touch. Hopefully, a dentist will be able to provide me with better understanding of the aftermath and discomforts I have succumb thus my purchase of cubed steaks from Harris Teeter on April 30, 2016.

Disappointment. With already suffering with OCD this experience will only intensify my condition. Apprehensive to eat as my appetite has decreased tremendously. I particularly feel depressed/disappointed in relation to being a long time Vic Member. I have isolated most of my grocery purchases to one Harris Teeter based on their brand. I have put great thought into how this incident occurred and can only hope others will not experience the same. The agony of wishing I didn't become sucked in by the "Buy One Get One FREE" deal. The Butcher who prepared and packaged those cubed steaks could have NOT known that a blade had been broken or perhaps attention was not focused at that very instance. How could the meat make it to the sales floor? How???

Proper protocol would have been to dispose of any and all product that came in contact with the blades during preparation. I am absolutely terrified to indulge in cube steak thus Sunday, May 1, 2016 for the remainder of my life. I don't eat alone. The thought of my children eating meat from this very same package of meat makes me nauseated. Oddly I am so grateful it was my steak that the blade fragment was in... A sense of relief. In still while discarding leftovers I noticed a chip of a blade in my Son's steak. I can only thank God for him not consuming that piece. I am taking pm meds to assist in falling asleep because unfortunately I am a being of calculated thinking so I continue to try and make sense of this incident not just for the safety of my family but for the safety of the public.

It's highly unlikely the one package of meat was the only tainted package... That is so far fetched. Which is more than likely the reasoning of overly thinking of this incident, day in and day out. I am hopeful this symptom will evaporate. The compulsive analyzing will eventually make the mind sick. With never experiencing a situation of this nature or magnitude: the time frame in which it will take to regroup is unknown. This ordeal has prompted the question of how much is my life worth? Is there a numeric number that would compensate and or that I could fathom exchanging for my life... Thus seeking dental work to repair the broken molar that HT initially extended to pay for that option has NEVER been revisited and also their representation has produced fraudulent pictures to support the action of not settling the damaged to my tooth and punitive damages as they clearly knew the machine was broken.

However they, HT, chose to still operate from the broken machine in which they were cited for by the Alexandria Health Dept. What amazes me is how they pay thousands, possibly billions amounts of dollars for insurance policies and legal representation. However, they will lie cheat and harm the public safety to SAVE a BUCK... Totally NOT COOL and very reckless. I am still shopping at HT. However, I choose to purchase my meats elsewhere. It is my intent to make the public aware of the operations and lack of integrity on HT part. I was never looking to get rich or file suit, however the gross negligence shown and demonstrated shall make HT accountable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harris Teeter?

June 15 around 12 pm. I bought a few things and went to the register. There were a couple people in front of me and a few behind. Sue, the employee, kept eyeing me out of the line and gave me rude stares. I ignored it. Sue kindly completed their transaction and finally when it was my turn she would scan an item and slam it on the counter. She squished the bread and almost broke the eggs. The people in front did not have a VIC card as I did not either. When she asked for it I replied "I don't have one" and she rudely shouted, "Well fine then," rolled her eyes and told me the total. Just to see if others were noticing her behavior I turned around and everyone in line was shocked by her attitude.

As I completed the payment and the receipt printed she threw it on the counter. I left it there because of how rude she was and said "Why are you being so rude?" She stood there with her hand on her hip and stared at me offensively as I gathered my bags to leave. I believe she was discriminating against me (I was the only South Asian amongst Caucasians), but I am 100 percent sure she was completely disrespectful towards me. Sue was very ill-mannered and impolite. I don’t usually shop at Harris Teeters but this incident definitely will make me never want to give business to the store again.

The quality of food at HT is poor in my opinion. 3 times since January I have looked at their berries out for sale and could see mold growing on them. Their bakery doesn't really bake bread. They truck it to their Aldie, VA store from a commercial baker in DC. I bought a loaf last week that was so over aerated that there was a hole in the middle of the loaf that was 3.5" in diameter. So most of the bread was in fact air. They have made their loaves so small, you can't make sandwiches out of them. The also refuse to ever make cinnamon raisin bread which is the most popular in most places. Their fruit quality is very spotty. Many times by the time it comes off their trucks, the fruit is over ripe. Many times the fruit I buy from them has to be thrown out just a few days after buying.

HT sells extra wide Swifter for cleaning floors, but never the wet refills. Really??? HT lists their fish as "fresh" when it's clearly not. They don't tell the customer or label seafood that has been previously frozen then thawed. The also keep their "fresh frozen" fish for sale for up to 7 days. Wegman's is 5 days max in comparison. And when they say Fresh, they mean it. The last straw was yesterday where they were selling cold fruit drinks for $2.99 to $3.99. I went to a coffee shop in the same center and bought a fruit drink for $2.15. I also noticed that the egg foam packaging has gotten thinner and I get 1-2 cracked eggs in every dozen I buy. Too much ripping off the customer in my humble opinion. I try never to shop at HT anymore.

This is without a doubt, one of the most poorly run businesses I have had the misfortune of spending money in. None of the employees looked happy and seemed stressed. Manager doesn't help matters any by ignoring the obvious internal problems. Thank goodness Fresh Foods opened last year in Fayetteville, NC because that is where a lot of people, including myself have taken their business. A much more pleasant environment and better run by any standards.

On Mondays Harris Teeter has pizza special, any pizza for $7.99. Last week I ordered two Pizzas, one with all veggies and one with pepperoni. When I brought it home and opened the boxes to find out to my surprise that the quantity of veggies and pepperoni was very skimpy. Skimpy to the extent that I really had to search for the toppings to find out where they are. This I feel is outright cheating.

Yesterday I purchased two boneless skinless chicken breasts from the HT at Flowers Shopping Center in Clayton. I asked the butcher to butterfly the chicken breasts for me. He replied that they don't do that because of cross-contamination. I told him I would do it myself and left. The more I think about this the more annoyed I get. They evidently handle chicken somewhere behind the counter or they wouldn't have it in the display case. I think he just didn't want to do it. Wish I had gotten his name so I could talk with the manager.

My fiance & I have been shopping at Harris Teeter for years now. Being on a budget we've always used coupons occasionally (she more than I). We're not shelf clearers. Normally at store #88 we're treated with respect and the customer service is great. Yesterday we went in and were checking out and 3 of our coupons didn't scan. Any case like this before and someone from customer service came and manually put them in for us. Instead, the actual store manager came over wouldn't take them and wasn't even nice. He was cold and then walked away. I will not be shopping there anymore! I expect to be treated like every other customer.

I did a beer demo in Harris Teeter park Rd. I been doing demos for 20 years. I have never been talk to the way that manager talk to me at my company. I purchased the ice, the beer or wine we don't pay for. I had the paper to show him at the end of demo, I took remainder that was left to customer service. He said I should have paid for the product. I never want to work in that store or shop. He said he don't care what my paper said, it was awful. They lost my business.

I went this night to use the web checks to get a milk for my little 4 month old son. It was just two on shelf and I have four on the check. They did not help me with any solution to get the other cans just we have to follow the book. I asked "what kind of book let a 4 month without milk? What kind of rules do that?" But like I'm talking to a robot doesn't have any mercy. Yes they let me go without milk even I'm a regular customer or they didn't help me because I was wearing a different religion clothes. Me and my older son. But I'm sure they didn't do all their effort to found it in stock. Other stores are closed and my son crying and thanks a lot employee of Harris Teeter at Park Rd in Charlotte NC.

On May 31, 2015 my wife and I went to the Harris Teeter in Waxhaw NC at Cureton. After about 30 minutes of shopping and a hand basket full of items, I find a check-out lane with one woman who has a few hand basket of items checking out and got in line. Immediately I noticed the cashier stopped checking and an older woman employee came to assist. The older woman was holding what appeared to be a check and was entering information into the register. She entered the information apparently with no success and re-entered. Again no success with what she entered and she tried again. After 5 or 6 times of entering what seemed like the same information, no success. At this time I saw 4 different customers in line in different lines checked out and leaving. She tried again and no success. By this time I had been in line for 10 minutes and was wondering if I had made a big mistake with this line.

I spoke and suggested she may want to have this transaction performed at the customer service counter and she snapped at me and said I could get into another line. At this time all lines were 3 or 4 deep and I felt trapped. Finally another woman employee came to help. She did the same input into the register 2 times and no success. I was feeling like I was going to spend my afternoon waiting in line as it had been close to 20 minutes by that time. I spoke and asked if the second woman could check me out at the customer service desk. The older woman whispered to the second woman who then left the register. I asked again and was told by the older woman yes she can check you out at the CS desk. I left the line, placed my basket on the CS counter and watched as the second woman went to the self service station. I'm like "What's going on??"

I went over to the second woman at the self service station and asked if she planned to check me out as I was told? This woman then snapped at me and said I would have to wait. I stated "I had already waited 20 minutes and would you please check me out?" She shouted at me with many expletives, I would have to wait another 20 minutes. At this time I was appalled and took out my phone to take a picture of her for reference. She then came over to me and snatched the phone from my hand and threw it at a shopping buggy and started cursing me. I was totally shocked and asked for the manager. At this time another woman employee came to the CS counter and said she would check me out but was very snarky. About this time the manager came and asked what the problem was. The woman checking me out started telling him how this was all screwed up and started cursing.

The manager then said he would check me out and did not respond to this woman's insubordinate behavior. While checking me out all the manager said when I questioned what was happening, he would review the video and I could call him later. My wife at this time was waiting outside. Finally I got my groceries checked and left, meeting my wife outside. She told me there were employees outside yelling and cursing, 2 were the last two employees I encountered. We left and the next day I sent HT a complaint by email.

Next day I was told I would receive a call from the store director. Over the next 3 days not call. I responded to HT corporate there was no call and was replied to the next day that there was nothing they could do? What the heck is going on with this company? It was so good before Kroger bought it. I've been a customer for over 20 years and never had such blatant display of disrespect by employees and customer service. I will be shopping at Publix from now on and will go out of my way not to do business with this company and suggest others do the same. It is very sad as this company was so good but now is downright shameful. No more, my biz is going Plublix.

In the last two months, I became ill with intestinal issues after eating the salad bar at the H-T Arboretum in Charlotte, NC. Today I purchased a head of celery, washed it, ate one piece, and became ill about an hour later. Something is remiss at the store. Possibly this produce comes from China? I'm now reluctant to buy any produce there, or use the salad bar. This is inexcusable.

Hello to the Harris Teeter company that I love so much. I've never had any complaints about this company till yesterday when I was in my most favorite Cary store. It's the new store off of 55. I know your stores have numbers but I'm not sure of its number or the direct road it's on. It's near the Target and fishing shop. I arrived at your store I guess around 1:00/20. I knew I had to hurry due to getting my children out of school on time. They go to the green level schools and I have one at Panther creek. There was an older woman in the store this day (Thursday, April 30). She had glasses, very short boyish hair and a stocky build. I continued my shopping. When I walked by her talking to a meat market employee I was appalled by the words coming from this woman's mouth. There was another gentleman there with the two, I think he is a manager of some sort. I was in shock at the things she saying to these two grown men.

Talking to them as if they were five years old. I do not work because I am a mother. If I did I would never talk to my employees as I heard this woman speaking to these employees. I was getting ready to leave and I walked past her and the manager, I think he had on a red shirt. They were standing in your florist. I am appalled at the things being said! I do not "speak" the way she does but I will quote one thing I did hear, "This is **! That's no excuse! She is a piece of ** and if she cannot get her job done I will personally escort her out of the store myself." I turned to look at her, hoping she would know I heard her. She never acknowledged me being there or even notice I was around her.

I almost left my basket there and walked out! I am appalled that MY Harris Teeter would allow their prized employees to be spoken to this way. For it is not this woman that makes my shopping experience real, fun and rememberable it's the great employees in this store. And as long as she talks to people in this manner I will NOT BE BACK in any Harris Teeter stores for any reason. I have told many of my neighbors and friends and after comparing notes they have noticed this woman a few times in Durham/Chapel hill stores and were also appalled at her actions and speech with the hard working employees in their stores. I will leave my email address but I do not want to be contacted by phone. I will not be back until my friends, neighbors and I are convinced this woman will NOT be back in our Harris Teeter stores. Thank you and please advise I am also sending this email to the news stations in the RDU area.

Every time we shop at HT and look for an open cashier, they will give us an angry look and even roll their eyes at us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness, we have not done anything wrong. We will normally go to an African American cashier (very rarely have one) or use the automated checkout. The point is, HARRIS TEETER have to know that these clerks are doing this to Black customers. My daughter just experienced it again this morning. Someone is allowing this to happen. YOU CAN FEEL THE RACISM, WHEN YOU WALK IN THE DOOR. I have had enough and I will report this to the NAACP TODAY because the managers don't care. I sent them an email and did they contact me? NO, but that's what I want. AFRICAN AMERICANS NEED TO BOYCOTT THIS RACIST STORE. THERE IS NO OTHER STORE LIKE THIS STORE IN AMERICA. ALL CUSTOMERS NEED TO BE RESPECTED AND TREATED FAIRLY.

I'm a professional here in Wilson, NC and I visited the salad bar and made a salad along with 3 small cups of dressing to go with my salad and go to self-checkout. A cashier name ** volunteers himself and comes over and grabs my salad dressing to weigh it on top of my salad. I told ** that I have visited many times and never had my dressing weighed. I guess it depends on who you are and what you look like. I was the only black customer at the time in self-checkout.

Feeling homesick and I was at that end of town. I went in to get some crumpets. Having found them, they all looked freezer burned and some had a lot of ice build up in the pack. As this is the only place I know now that sells them, I don't get to have them often and at 2.99 a pack of six, they are not cheap but I do normally get four or five packs. Having asked the manager if he knew the sell-by date as there was not one on it and all my kids told me even if they get a product that does not have one, they are supposed to put one on before putting on the shelf, nobody knew.

They even called the company they get them from to see but left a message so I was asked did I still want them. Yes I wanted them. I had gone through them and found the best-looking ones and the manager told the cashier to just charge me for two. I only bought three but would have bought more had they not looked so bad. Maybe they will get it fixed now. I hope as I really would hate for them to disappear from the shelf. Please keep the crumpets safe from freezer burn. Thank you.

I was surprised to the Value Pack chicken leg quarters ($1.49/lb) now contained parts of the backbone and much of the skin from breast area. I cut off the backbone and the extra skin that was hidden under the leg quarters, and put the back in the tray that had a moisture pad full of liquid and weighed it. It weighed almost 3 lbs. I had bought a package weighing 6.5 lbs. So half of it was uneatable. That made the real price of the leg quarters about $3.00 /lb. What trickery! I don't Harris Teeter anymore -no value in their packaging.

I shop at the HT in Falls Church, VA. For some reason their frozen waffles, or should I say their whole frozen food department has issues. The waffles for instance, appear like they've been defrosted and are a lot flatter than other local grocery stores. I wonder if they turn down (up) their freezers at certain points during the night to save money? I think this is the case because I once opened the door while shopping late and it wasn't even cold. There also seems to be an issue with their oatmeal in the cereal lane. It just never seems to taste like it normally should. Also, the last few times I've bought it, it also has lumped up although I stirred it good. I guess I'll just have to get these items elsewhere.

I shopped in the Harris Teeter in Davidson, NC on Sunday, November 3rd, 2013 and a clerk opened a new line because all the lanes were backed up with customers. The clerk walked past me and told the White couple in the furthest checkout lane that he would be happy to serve them. Being a Black male, I asked him why he was choosing to help them over me and he said that they had been waiting longer than I had which was a lie because I saw them shopping while I was in the checkout lane waiting to checkout. I am a 64-year-old Black male and my money is not as good as theirs? Public, here I come!

Always great customer service. If there is ever a problem, it is dealt with in a friendly courteous way. There really is not other option in the Charlotte area unless you want to sacrifice cleanliness, quality, or customer service.

We have been Harris Teeter customers for 3 years but we are not happy shopping there anymore since they changed the manager. Last week, we purchased Lil Milk which had expired on April 5th, 2 months ago. After drinking the chocolate milk, I started to feel sick and it was then I realized the product was expired. I was sick for 2 days because of that. My husband went to the store and told the manager what happened and he told my husband that sometimes the manufacturer sends products that are already expired and that it is very difficult to check out all the products' expiration dates. He returned the money and said they would call my husband in order to give him a gift card. I could not believe the response the manager gave my husband.

This happened at the Raeford Rd. Store #25. I had forgot to give my coupons to the cashier, so I went to the customer service desk and asked for my money back. The girl at the desk (**) said that there was a new policy and she could not give me my money back. I knew this was not correct so I waited until she left and asked someone else. The girl that did help me gave me my money and was very helpful. When I tried to call the store and talk to a manager to let them know I was lied to, no one picked up. I called back 3 times and tried to talk to a manager but was kept on hold for at least 20 mins each time and no one ever came to the phone. This shows you how much Harris Teeter cares about its customers.

I’m a customer at Harris Teeter for 15 years that at one time it was my favorite store, but lately since they changed management. If you have a question or anything, they being in that position do not know anything. They are inexperienced and rude. I was at the checkout and one of the young ladies called for service from a manager. I looked in the manager’s office and all of them were sitting down laughing and talking, not one of them moved to assist the cashier. I stood there for ten minutes before another associate came and helped her out, not one manager. I hope the new store has better service because Store 25 is terrible.

Deceptive deal in store - Imagine picking up a bag of apple with five apples that you did not hand pick and the cost is $8.89 and not $1.79. I told the cashier the cost for the apples was incorrect. She said no and then she sent the other cashier who was helping to bag to check it out. The other cashier agreed with us. However, the cashier said it is in small lettering per lb. She then called her supervisor. He said no, it is per lb. I revisited the sign and told him this is deceptive, and added to the sign per lb. after the cost.

I spent $7.31 for Angus beef. When I went to cook it an hour later, I found that the meat on the outside was red and fresh, but the inside was brown. They cover old meat with fresh and sell it at top dollar. Although I received a refund, my dinner was ruined since what I had cooked prior to go with the meal was all dried up. I then had to go to another store to purchase the meat. The price of gas is out of control and I can't afford to make unnecessary trips. The manager was too busy unloading a truck to speak with me. This practice is deceptive and I can no longer trust this store. I do not cheat them and I don't expect to be cheated. I have read some complaints from 2008 - same complaint. Maybe it is time to get someone else involved.

I have shopped this store on occasion. I stopped in on my way into work at 6:45 am and learned that I couldn't make the return because I was told that no one was available to take returns until 7 am. The store is open 24 hours a day. What is happening to "Customer Service"? I thought the grocery stores were generated on consumer purchases? Guess, we as consumers are not what generates its business after all. Since, this company has decided that the consumer isn't what it needs, I am taking my business elsewhere.

I bought from Harris Teeter in Wilmington NC a product called "Demarest Medicated Lotion for ecezma". This product had been used before. I applied this new bottle on my grandson for his eczema after his bath and throughout the day to moisturize his skin. Next day, I realized the product expiration date was 1/08. The child screamed all night with his hands scratching and pulling his bandages after applying lotion. I had no idea that the product was expired over a year and 7 months ago. He scratched so hard that his legs bled and grew swollen.

Harris Teeter Company Profile