2. Shopping

Giant Foods

Giant Foods
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.85/5

Giant Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I recently shopped at giant in Owings Mills Blvd..the new Giant 2318. It’s horrible. The customer service is terrible.. The worst is the management.. Every time I go in there it’s always a problem with the management.. Lisa..she is so nasty.. she walk around like she’s better than everybody, better than the cashiers, better than all the employees. And she acts as if it’s a problem to help the customers, last time I was in there shopping she in there bouncing around walking extra fast as if she was so busy, and when I stopped her to ask her a question, she rolled her eyes and turned around, I guess she thought I didn’t see her but I did..

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I went to Giant store located 65 RT611 Bartonsville. Did a little shopping and came to a cashier to pay. Said hi. While cashier scanning my few items I tried to scan my bonus card and scanner beeped but we saw nothing on screen. Tried it twice more and same thing happened. Cashier started to get crazy and told me by whispering "why don't you give it to me?" with an angry face. I gave the card to her and she scanned. Same thing happen beep but we did not see anything on screen. She started to go back and forth by murmuring and act like I did something wrong which I just scanned my bonus card.

You cannot imagine the act that I have faced by that cashier and I told her, "I will talk to your manager." She said, "Whatever." I got my bags and went to manager. He listened to me and went to her register while I am watching him and came back to me and said sorry. Offered me 10$ gift card which I didn't get it. She ruined the rest of my day and seems like continue to do others to.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I called customer care about help with Giant Gift Cards. After poor response over 3 days, I was told to fax the information to the gift card department Care of Ilian- one of the gift card employees. Next day I followed up a call speaking to Ilian. She said she would get in touch with me. Two weeks later I called back after no response. Ilian-speaking in an attitude of showing no care or responsibility, told me she couldn't help me, made no apology for not contacting me despite having my phone number and email address. Her attitude was one of utmost laziness and non caring. I was shocked. I asked her if she worked for Giant, thinking I had a wrong number due to the rotten customer care she exhibited-I thought no way would a company like Giant allow such customer service. She said she did, then HUNG UP on me.

Imagine that. Customer Service at Giant Food, a large corporation with a public image hanging up on a customer asking for a resolution of a problem created by Giant's inability to accept its own Gift Cards- requiring a manager's override every time the cards are used. Ilian apparently exhibits an acceptable culture how customers are treated by Giant. That's why I've written this review. The first in my 59 years of Life.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I've been shopping at this Giant grocery store for almost 2 years. This is the worst experience I've ever had. The store recently got new management staff and they are not ok with disabled individuals with children. One question regarding missing products and bad products turned into some crazy behavior from the new assistant manager. He told me to call corporate and whistled security over to have me removed out of his presence. I could not believe it. I never shop at night but I needed to also return a bag of discontinued chips I purchased that damaged my mouth really bad. He didn't want to hear that either. He had me banned from the store in a hostile manner. He did not care that I have epilepsy. He still flashed his camera in my face which triggered a seizure.

I called the store manager the next day and we had a meeting. The store manager and security said I was not banned. Allowed me to shop. Apologized to me and said the crazy guy would be talked to. 20 minutes later, cops (I knew) came up, hugged me and was even surprised the call was in reference to me along with the crazy guy telling me this guy wants me banned. I said manager in charge said I was fine. Manager and security along with my sister who was at the meeting waited for the store manager who lied and said he never said that. I couldn't believe it. He said he never told me that and other staff said I was a problem in the past. Unbelievable. I told him, "So why am I here with a basket and groceries in it???" I told him that it was not a smart idea to lie right now because I am someone who will take this all the way to court. But he still had me banned. The cops told me not to worry. Told me do what I needed to do.

I called corporate. The Giant grocery store workers came outside to see if me and my daughter were ok and to see what happened. They even brought my items for me. That's how well known I am at this location. I'm a Buddhist and I am a nice person to everyone. I've taken panhandlers shopping before who was standing in front of the store at times. It's the principle at this point because this is unethical on how I was treated. My disability was used against me. Not ok. I have to get a lawyer if corporate does not handle this by Wednesday. I get nothing but love when I got to my neighborhood grocery store which is a mile walk there and a mile walk back. Last night and today was pure hate for no reason. Over technical questions. And the damage done to my mouth is an entire different civil suit. Just unjust. I must contact all levels first and I will. ADA LIVES MATTER.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I visited Giant today 09/04/2019 @ 6:45 PM. This was my worst trip ever. Customer service never help me. Guy was on customer service. He was helping other people instead of me. At the end I was asking him to help me but he was making fun of me. At the end I had to leave the store and he was laughing at me behind. I was getting late otherwise I could speak with the manager but I was very very disappointed today. I'm living here 20 yrs. This Giant was my home but after today I decided not to go anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Giant?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

On self checkout hand scanner alerts a clerk. Then you’re told you’ve been randomly selected for an “audit”. Clerk suggests that I have not scanned all items. Must be the X-ray vision or profiling. All items match on secondary scan. The staff are accusatory and just say they’re following corporate direction. Stopped for Audit last Friday and stopped again Monday. Not very random is it. What are Giant’s stats on these checkouts and profiling. Public should be aware and Giant should make this information available. Profile categories and demographic info should be fairly simple since the hand scanners are all tied to the Giant rewards card.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Chicken was missing a wing. Didn't notice until I had started carving. Couldn't return. Won't buy this item again. Have been shopping at Giant Foods stores for a long time, but this store is going downhill.

Original review: April 28, 2019

We recently moved in VA. Our friends recommended this store. We went to get the card in order to be the regular customer of Giant Foods. Customer care representative was very very rude. We exactly don’t know the reason why was she rude to us or all customer care representatives are the same. Even we mentioned to her that, "Your behavior seems rude to us." She didn’t even had courtesy to apologize once. We ended up returning the card and we will never ever go back there. No one wants to spoil their day because of some people. We can get things from other store also. If you treat customers like this then what is the point of keeping Customer service. Customer service is to help customers not to spoil their day. We never expected this to one of the valuable store in the US. I hope you guys don’t keep rude people on front desk.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have shopped at Giant store periodically since they first opened. They are the closest food store to me. I am handicapped and a senior citizen, so me going to the store to shop is not always an easy or convenient endeavor. I have a Charcot's foot from a bout of Charcot's disease (read deformed and medically speaking have been told NOT to walk on it). I have three herniated disks in my back so walking is very difficult without even taking the Charcot's foot into consideration.

I recently fell and broke my right hip and now have a titanium rod holding it together. I am currently rehabbing and have just graduated from a walker to a cane. So as I said going to the store is something of an adventure for me. I use the electric carts whenever I can find one that is working. If I cannot... I have to go back home or elsewhere. That happens about 20% of the time if I come during daylight shopping hours. I have often gone at night so the chance of finding a working cart is better.

Prices are much higher... not just a little higher at Giant and yes I have the "discount" card. The same Pub Cheese which sells at target for $3.99 per 8 oz. tub, is $5.99 at Giant Foods. Cold cuts at their deli are typically 15% - 25% higher than other deli counters in the area. Twice when I picked up one of their roast chickens from their rotisserie, the chickens tasted of bleach.

When I complained they bought the chickens back from me, and said they would be returned to the supplier (Tyson Foods) for lab testing. That was after I said that I would submit the offending chickens to my own lab source for independent testing. The store manager literally snatched the bird from my hands and pushed the refund into them. I was assured they would be tested by Tyson. Three weeks later Tyson called me to assure me they never bleached their chickens.... right (blasting bulk poultry with bleach and then pressure washing them afterward is a standard practice in the fresh poultry industry to avoid salmonella)... Cleaning them thoroughly afterward is a mandatory requirement to avoid this whole situation.

The other afternoon I brought my food to the cashier who checked me out. Remember I am handicapped and sitting in an electric cart. I had as usual done a rough estimate of the bill total in my head (am usually within a $1.00 or so of the total) and to my surprise the total was around $10.00 higher than expected. The cashier made no offer to load my groceries and package of 8 paper towel rolls into my basket, so to clear the lane I had to stand up to reach the bags and paper towels.

Then I had to sit back down to jockey the cart so I could reach the packages. Not a big deal if your health is normal but painful for me, with my injuries and limitations. In jockeying the cart my cane got caught because the space between the cashier rows is so jammed so tight. I forgot about the bill discrepancy. I re-checked the total when I got home to find out the cashier (a young man) who never offered to help me load the packages into my electric cart basket, also charged me for two packages of paper towels instead of one, creating a bill discrepancy of $10.99 over what it should have been.

I called the store manager to complain and he said, "Calm down and we will issue a refund..." No offer to compensate me for the extra effort. Just load your handicapped butt into the car, walk into the store, maybe find a working electric cart and try to find a store manager to correct the problem they created. Getting to the store is a major effort for me... I do not need to be running back to correct a cashier's error, or worse, possibly undo a deliberate attempt to steal from a senior citizen.

So I will never shop at GIANT again. I will avoid their high prices and their often rude or incompetent cashiers (the night cashiers never seem to be around when you are forced to use an automatic checkout lane and the machine freezes for some non apparent reason) leaving you yelling for help and none appears. I have often had to leave my order unchecked at the auto check out station because the supervising cashier is outside having a cigarette. So no more Giant Store for me, thank you very much, and I urge other Senior citizens, and or ordinary citizen/customers to boycott this rude rip-off store.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Stopped at main entrance, got out of my car and went in. My wife was still in the car's passenger seat and was going to get in the driverside and drive the car and park. When the security guard started asking about why I parked in the fire zone. If you get out of a vehicle and there is still a licensed driver in the car who is intending to move the vehicle once I get out, and the vehicle is still running, that is a stop, not a park. We were told to get in our car and leave or we would be physically taken "downtown." They're not police officers and don't have any authority to do so. They're also armed with firearms. To go and shop there only to be threatened by people armed with guns is both ridiculous and disheartening. I don't shop at Giant that often and won't be shopping there again.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Giant Foods Company Information