2. Shopping

Giant Foods
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Giant Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Giant Foods?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Giant?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I visited Giant today 09/04/2019 @ 6:45 PM. This was my worst trip ever. Customer service never help me. Guy was on customer service. He was helping other people instead of me. At the end I was asking him to help me but he was making fun of me. At the end I had to leave the store and he was laughing at me behind. I was getting late otherwise I could speak with the manager but I was very very disappointed today. I'm living here 20 yrs. This Giant was my home but after today I decided not to go anymore.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

On self checkout hand scanner alerts a clerk. Then you’re told you’ve been randomly selected for an “audit”. Clerk suggests that I have not scanned all items. Must be the X-ray vision or profiling. All items match on secondary scan. The staff are accusatory and just say they’re following corporate direction. Stopped for Audit last Friday and stopped again Monday. Not very random is it. What are Giant’s stats on these checkouts and profiling. Public should be aware and Giant should make this information available. Profile categories and demographic info should be fairly simple since the hand scanners are all tied to the Giant rewards card.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Chicken was missing a wing. Didn't notice until I had started carving. Couldn't return. Won't buy this item again. Have been shopping at Giant Foods stores for a long time, but this store is going downhill.

Original review: April 28, 2019

We recently moved in VA. Our friends recommended this store. We went to get the card in order to be the regular customer of Giant Foods. Customer care representative was very very rude. We exactly don’t know the reason why was she rude to us or all customer care representatives are the same. Even we mentioned to her that, "Your behavior seems rude to us." She didn’t even had courtesy to apologize once. We ended up returning the card and we will never ever go back there. No one wants to spoil their day because of some people. We can get things from other store also. If you treat customers like this then what is the point of keeping Customer service. Customer service is to help customers not to spoil their day. We never expected this to one of the valuable store in the US. I hope you guys don’t keep rude people on front desk.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have shopped at Giant store periodically since they first opened. They are the closest food store to me. I am handicapped and a senior citizen, so me going to the store to shop is not always an easy or convenient endeavor. I have a Charcot's foot from a bout of Charcot's disease (read deformed and medically speaking have been told NOT to walk on it). I have three herniated disks in my back so walking is very difficult without even taking the Charcot's foot into consideration.

I recently fell and broke my right hip and now have a titanium rod holding it together. I am currently rehabbing and have just graduated from a walker to a cane. So as I said going to the store is something of an adventure for me. I use the electric carts whenever I can find one that is working. If I cannot... I have to go back home or elsewhere. That happens about 20% of the time if I come during daylight shopping hours. I have often gone at night so the chance of finding a working cart is better.

Prices are much higher... not just a little higher at Giant and yes I have the "discount" card. The same Pub Cheese which sells at target for $3.99 per 8 oz. tub, is $5.99 at Giant Foods. Cold cuts at their deli are typically 15% - 25% higher than other deli counters in the area. Twice when I picked up one of their roast chickens from their rotisserie, the chickens tasted of bleach.

When I complained they bought the chickens back from me, and said they would be returned to the supplier (Tyson Foods) for lab testing. That was after I said that I would submit the offending chickens to my own lab source for independent testing. The store manager literally snatched the bird from my hands and pushed the refund into them. I was assured they would be tested by Tyson. Three weeks later Tyson called me to assure me they never bleached their chickens.... right (blasting bulk poultry with bleach and then pressure washing them afterward is a standard practice in the fresh poultry industry to avoid salmonella)... Cleaning them thoroughly afterward is a mandatory requirement to avoid this whole situation.

The other afternoon I brought my food to the cashier who checked me out. Remember I am handicapped and sitting in an electric cart. I had as usual done a rough estimate of the bill total in my head (am usually within a $1.00 or so of the total) and to my surprise the total was around $10.00 higher than expected. The cashier made no offer to load my groceries and package of 8 paper towel rolls into my basket, so to clear the lane I had to stand up to reach the bags and paper towels.

Then I had to sit back down to jockey the cart so I could reach the packages. Not a big deal if your health is normal but painful for me, with my injuries and limitations. In jockeying the cart my cane got caught because the space between the cashier rows is so jammed so tight. I forgot about the bill discrepancy. I re-checked the total when I got home to find out the cashier (a young man) who never offered to help me load the packages into my electric cart basket, also charged me for two packages of paper towels instead of one, creating a bill discrepancy of $10.99 over what it should have been.

I called the store manager to complain and he said, "Calm down and we will issue a refund..." No offer to compensate me for the extra effort. Just load your handicapped butt into the car, walk into the store, maybe find a working electric cart and try to find a store manager to correct the problem they created. Getting to the store is a major effort for me... I do not need to be running back to correct a cashier's error, or worse, possibly undo a deliberate attempt to steal from a senior citizen.

So I will never shop at GIANT again. I will avoid their high prices and their often rude or incompetent cashiers (the night cashiers never seem to be around when you are forced to use an automatic checkout lane and the machine freezes for some non apparent reason) leaving you yelling for help and none appears. I have often had to leave my order unchecked at the auto check out station because the supervising cashier is outside having a cigarette. So no more Giant Store for me, thank you very much, and I urge other Senior citizens, and or ordinary citizen/customers to boycott this rude rip-off store.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Stopped at main entrance, got out of my car and went in. My wife was still in the car's passenger seat and was going to get in the driverside and drive the car and park. When the security guard started asking about why I parked in the fire zone. If you get out of a vehicle and there is still a licensed driver in the car who is intending to move the vehicle once I get out, and the vehicle is still running, that is a stop, not a park. We were told to get in our car and leave or we would be physically taken "downtown." They're not police officers and don't have any authority to do so. They're also armed with firearms. To go and shop there only to be threatened by people armed with guns is both ridiculous and disheartening. I don't shop at Giant that often and won't be shopping there again.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I bought a bag a of O’Brien style hashbrowns with peppers and onions, only to get them home and open the bag and just see diced potatoes in it. What happened to the peppers and onions Giant foods? I definitely did not get what I paid for.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I bought what was advertised as strawberry cheese strudel bites. They appear to be stuffed with strawberry and cream cheese. However, that is only the outside opening of the bites. The inside of them are hollow and have no strawberry or cream cheese on the inside of the bites. What a rip off.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

The new shopping carts are too small!!! Shopping for a family for a week's worth of groceries you now need to pull/push two carts through the store. Even at check out you wouldn’t have to be shopping for a family and the packed bags DO NOT FIT!!! Whoever made this decision-BAD CHOICE!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

For the 1st time ordering a pre cooked meal for Thanksgiving. I called the 1-800 as directed & spoke to a live person and placed my order for a ham meal. When I arrived at my scheduled pick up time, with my confirmation email in hand... not only did they not have my name or order... no hams either. A super nice employee... gathered together a Turkey dinner for my family. NICE but not what we planned for. So lesson learned. DO NOT COUNT ON GIANT FOODS FOR HOLIDAY MEALS. NOT RELIABLE. NEVER AGAIN GIANT ST DAVIDS.

Giant Foods Company Information