1.82/5

192 Giant Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 28, 2019

We recently moved in VA. Our friends recommended this store. We went to get the card in order to be the regular customer of Giant Foods. Customer care representative was very very rude. We exactly don’t know the reason why was she rude to us or all customer care representatives are the same. Even we mentioned to her that, "Your behavior seems rude to us." She didn’t even had courtesy to apologize once. We ended up returning the card and we will never ever go back there. No one wants to spoil their day because of some people. We can get things from other store also. If you treat customers like this then what is the point of keeping Customer service. Customer service is to help customers not to spoil their day. We never expected this to one of the valuable store in the US. I hope you guys don’t keep rude people on front desk.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have shopped at Giant store periodically since they first opened. They are the closest food store to me. I am handicapped and a senior citizen, so me going to the store to shop is not always an easy or convenient endeavor. I have a Charcot's foot from a bout of Charcot's disease (read deformed and medically speaking have been told NOT to walk on it). I have three herniated disks in my back so walking is very difficult without even taking the Charcot's foot into consideration.

I recently fell and broke my right hip and now have a titanium rod holding it together. I am currently rehabbing and have just graduated from a walker to a cane. So as I said going to the store is something of an adventure for me. I use the electric carts whenever I can find one that is working. If I cannot... I have to go back home or elsewhere. That happens about 20% of the time if I come during daylight shopping hours. I have often gone at night so the chance of finding a working cart is better.

Prices are much higher... not just a little higher at Giant and yes I have the "discount" card. The same Pub Cheese which sells at target for $3.99 per 8 oz. tub, is $5.99 at Giant Foods. Cold cuts at their deli are typically 15% - 25% higher than other deli counters in the area. Twice when I picked up one of their roast chickens from their rotisserie, the chickens tasted of bleach.

When I complained they bought the chickens back from me, and said they would be returned to the supplier (Tyson Foods) for lab testing. That was after I said that I would submit the offending chickens to my own lab source for independent testing. The store manager literally snatched the bird from my hands and pushed the refund into them. I was assured they would be tested by Tyson. Three weeks later Tyson called me to assure me they never bleached their chickens.... right (blasting bulk poultry with bleach and then pressure washing them afterward is a standard practice in the fresh poultry industry to avoid salmonella)... Cleaning them thoroughly afterward is a mandatory requirement to avoid this whole situation.

The other afternoon I brought my food to the cashier who checked me out. Remember I am handicapped and sitting in an electric cart. I had as usual done a rough estimate of the bill total in my head (am usually within a $1.00 or so of the total) and to my surprise the total was around $10.00 higher than expected. The cashier made no offer to load my groceries and package of 8 paper towel rolls into my basket, so to clear the lane I had to stand up to reach the bags and paper towels.

Then I had to sit back down to jockey the cart so I could reach the packages. Not a big deal if your health is normal but painful for me, with my injuries and limitations. In jockeying the cart my cane got caught because the space between the cashier rows is so jammed so tight. I forgot about the bill discrepancy. I re-checked the total when I got home to find out the cashier (a young man) who never offered to help me load the packages into my electric cart basket, also charged me for two packages of paper towels instead of one, creating a bill discrepancy of $10.99 over what it should have been.

I called the store manager to complain and he said, "Calm down and we will issue a refund..." No offer to compensate me for the extra effort. Just load your handicapped butt into the car, walk into the store, maybe find a working electric cart and try to find a store manager to correct the problem they created. Getting to the store is a major effort for me... I do not need to be running back to correct a cashier's error, or worse, possibly undo a deliberate attempt to steal from a senior citizen.

So I will never shop at GIANT again. I will avoid their high prices and their often rude or incompetent cashiers (the night cashiers never seem to be around when you are forced to use an automatic checkout lane and the machine freezes for some non apparent reason) leaving you yelling for help and none appears. I have often had to leave my order unchecked at the auto check out station because the supervising cashier is outside having a cigarette. So no more Giant Store for me, thank you very much, and I urge other Senior citizens, and or ordinary citizen/customers to boycott this rude rip-off store.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Stopped at main entrance, got out of my car and went in. My wife was still in the car's passenger seat and was going to get in the driverside and drive the car and park. When the security guard started asking about why I parked in the fire zone. If you get out of a vehicle and there is still a licensed driver in the car who is intending to move the vehicle once I get out, and the vehicle is still running, that is a stop, not a park. We were told to get in our car and leave or we would be physically taken "downtown." They're not police officers and don't have any authority to do so. They're also armed with firearms. To go and shop there only to be threatened by people armed with guns is both ridiculous and disheartening. I don't shop at Giant that often and won't be shopping there again.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I bought a bag a of O’Brien style hashbrowns with peppers and onions, only to get them home and open the bag and just see diced potatoes in it. What happened to the peppers and onions Giant foods? I definitely did not get what I paid for.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I bought what was advertised as strawberry cheese strudel bites. They appear to be stuffed with strawberry and cream cheese. However, that is only the outside opening of the bites. The inside of them are hollow and have no strawberry or cream cheese on the inside of the bites. What a rip off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Giant?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

The new shopping carts are too small!!! Shopping for a family for a week's worth of groceries you now need to pull/push two carts through the store. Even at check out you wouldn’t have to be shopping for a family and the packed bags DO NOT FIT!!! Whoever made this decision-BAD CHOICE!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

For the 1st time ordering a pre cooked meal for Thanksgiving. I called the 1-800 as directed & spoke to a live person and placed my order for a ham meal. When I arrived at my scheduled pick up time, with my confirmation email in hand... not only did they not have my name or order... no hams either. A super nice employee... gathered together a Turkey dinner for my family. NICE but not what we planned for. So lesson learned. DO NOT COUNT ON GIANT FOODS FOR HOLIDAY MEALS. NOT RELIABLE. NEVER AGAIN GIANT ST DAVIDS.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

DO NOT GO TO Giant Foods store in Aldan PA if you drive a car. Giant store have contract with toll truck company. 1 or 2 car may be toll away every day because they don't like you park your car in their parking lot. The toll fee is $300-$700. You may lost money before you shopping.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

What happened to the extra gas point coupons that used to appear in the Giant circular? Bring them back. I'm sure other customers feel the same. I will still shop at Giant but really liked getting the extra gas point.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

We shopped at Giant Foods for over 40 years, and through 3 different stores. We stopped when many, many name brands were either hidden or simply missing on the shelves, replaced by their own (inferior in our opinion) brand. Oh, and the prices went up. Recently we thought we would check back. First thing we noticed was that we no longer received Giant Foods ads in either of our newspapers. Second thing was that the store was staffed by Zombies. Not only do they make no effort to help but they will not look at you. This is probably not the individual’s fault but a indictment of the Company. Worse area was the deli. Lots of time to chat among themselves and ignore the customer. Oh, and the deli prices are very high for product available elsewhere for less. In general, shelves have “holes”. Cold items are in short supply (just like employees).

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have been shopping at Giant for many years... In particular the one directly behind my house in Herndon, VA (Franklin Farm). It appears that more and more I am entering for my regular shopping items that these items are no longer offered or at least missing from the shelf... not just a few but many of them. I recently noticed they remodeled, or really just moved the store around internally, but then also jacked up prices on many items. It’s getting to the point between missing items and higher prices, it’s worth now driving 2-3 miles out of the way to find lower prices and better service. I may stop in now and then for the occasional need for milk or small things but will now start shopping at other food store chains and avoid Giant altogether for my large shopping sprees.

Another complaint I have is the fact I bought a Giant brand scrubber for my sink... The replacement heads are constantly out. I have brought the empty hook to at least 5 different employees to request and it is NEVER re-ordered... ever! Even my 8 and 10 year old kids think it’s sad I have to keep requesting this and never changes. Start focusing on sticking things that are out and listening to your clients! The gas reward points are now a total joke with Giant and the Shells. They now limit not only the time frame to “use or lose” the points, but now Shell restricts the amount of gas you get. Total joke! There is NoTHING attracting me to GIANT food chains anymore and doing more and more things to drive me away to other Food stores! Way to go!

Original review: June 10, 2018

I shop at Giant Foods on Linglestown Road, Harrisburg, PA. You used to offer 3X gas points on an entire order. Now they are limited to certain products, i.e. certain brands of product only. I stopped buying my paper and cleaning products at Walmart because I felt it was worth buying at Giant for the extra gas points. I will be going back to Walmart for all my non-food items.

Resolution response: May 7, 2018

This is a follow up to my original complaint about employee Duane, at the Customer Service Desk, & Duane’s Manager who refused to state his name after I asked him five times! (I later called the store. The rude manager’s name is ACKLEY **.) I also called and spoke with John, the Store Manager. He offered to have a 1-on-1 with me and I accepted his offer. We meet 5/5/18 at noon. John was very polite, he listened to my side of the story, he watched the video I recorded. My video not only caught his manager in an outright lie, it also proved to John that his manager refused to give me his name, threatened to put me out of the store, & called the police on me. All of this occurred because Duane is ignorant of the ADA Service Animal laws. (** is also ignorant of the ADA laws.) And, no, the Police never came. (Unless they came after I had picked up my prescription & left the store.)

But my meeting with John, the Store Manager went extremely well. John was engaging, he listened to my concerns, we discussed store policy about service animals. He was very professional and understanding. John and I now have an agreement & my problem has been resolved. I want to thank John for taking the time to meet with me & I am especially satisfied with the resolution. THANK YOU JOHN???

Original review: May 5, 2018

I walked into my Giant with my service animal (SA) headed to the pharmacy, as I always do, Duane, at the Customer Service Desk, asked if he was a SA. I said yes & kept walking. So, Duane loudly asked again. So, naturally, I loudly answered again, YES. He then asked me for my “papers” for my SA. I informed him that SA’s don’t have “papers”. I pulled out my videophone & told him to call his manager. Duane changed his attitude QUICKLY when I started recording him. Then his manager, Ackley **, came out & made the situation worse. Said he “wasn’t going to do this” because I was recording him.

I told him I was recording so that I could send this altercation to corporate. And guess what. I caught Manager Ackley ** in a big fat LIE. He was so discombobulated he didn’t know what to do. So, he attempted to intimidate me by saying he was going to “put me out”. I told him “I’M NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!” So he said he was going to call the police. I said “You do that. I’ll be at the pharmacy getting my medicine”. I lingered around & did my little shopping - spent $87.40. Then, I sauntered over to the Customer Service Desk with my SA & my purchases. The manager was on the phone (calling the police???). Duane stared at me like I was Jesus Christ Superstar??? His mouth flew open, I was waiting for him to drool & slobber.

I said to **, “What’s Up?” He tried to play deaf, because of course he can’t multi-task, so I asked him again, “What’s up?” He said nothing. I laughed & said,“That’s what I thought!” Then I walked out, waving my cellphone at him. Of course, the police never came. I wanted to embarrass ** in front of his employees & the police. Because, YOU WILL NOT BULLY OR DISRESPECT ME & MY SERVICE ANIMAL. I don’t care who you are. I’m meeting with John, the store manager on 5/5/18 at noon to show him the video. I can’t wait to hear the crap that’s gonna come out of his mouth when he watches his manager make a fool of himself. I’ll keep you posted. #NotAllDisabilitiesAreVisible #iKnowMyRights #MyServiceAnimalRocks???

Original review: April 16, 2018

I used to enjoy grocery shopping at the Collington Plaza Giant in Bowie, MD, but now the availability of quality products is so limited, that it’s not worth the trip. Other locations offer higher quality selections from produce to pantry items. This particular store just has plenty of highly processed and generic foods. Yuck! Please bring back quality products to this store too.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Hot Cross Buns at Giant stores: My sister and I wait each year for them to be sold; we buy at least 2 per week until they are sold no more for the year. THIS year, I found them in the store and bought a pkg. Went home and told my sister, "They are in the stores now." She went to her store in Vienna and bought a pkg. To our dismay... they had no spices in them... NO TASTE! The dough was lovely, lots of fruit and raisins like before, but NO SPICES, like maybe bergamot or cardamom or whatever the previous company used in them. Please... either inform the new company, or go back to the original company who makes them. We won't buy these, and it's a shame, because they only need the spices!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

During my visit at Giant I was shopping for Garnier shampoo deal they had the spend 20.00 save 6.00 instantly. I thought, "Great. I have 4 coupons to use which were save 4 off 2." So I go in the line. The cashier instantly has an attitude rolling her eyes letting me know this is not going to go through. "Hmm why not??? It's a valid coupon." "No because with the sale the product is valued less than the coupon." Well how is that when the sale is 2 for 6.00 and the coupon is 4.00 off 2. The girl continues with an attitude so I tell her I do not want the product then and that I will contact someone.

I have never had a problem with my coupons before. I follow all coupon policies so I was upset with my treatment. I did have to ask the other cashier to bring back the few clearance items the rude cashier took when she was mad that I didn't want the shampoo anymore. I decided for the clearance items I would go to self checkout. Well the very rude cashier follows me and says they can ring me out at customer service. I didn't understand why the scene that was created honest made me feel like a criminal. Like I was doing something wrong. I was very uncomfortable. I will be taking my business elsewhere and letting the manufacturer know Giant does not accept their coupons.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have been shopping at Giant for almost over 35 years. Recently there has been a change to the meat department that we really don't like. It appears that the beef is no longer prepared at the store but "outsourced" from some outside vendor. The selection has been reduced and it is not always clear what cut of meat it is - most just says "Beef Roast". It has gotten so I go to Safeway or Shoppers Food Warehouse for the meat/chicken I want. If I want a Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster - something you always used to have - I now need to go to another grocery store. I don't like Safeway but they have a much better selection in their meat department than the Giant I go to - on Broad Street in Falls Church Virginia. I am very disappointed because I have always liked Giant but I will not be going there much anymore. If someone could please explain to me why this change has happened, I would appreciate it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I do appreciate the variety of products including an increasing number of organic foods. The store also has some "hot" foods available including different daily specials, salad bar and Chinese food. The addition of their alcoholic beverage section is very convenient. Although I have not yet tried it because I forget to bring my reusable shopping bags. Giant is also using a new system where you can scan and check-out your foods as you shop. As someone with some physical problems, this may be very helpful to waiting in line, taking things out of the cart and sometimes having to pack my own items which can be very painful for me. I wish that the "packers" would also be more available to take the items to my car. Their home delivery may also be an alternative to the whole shopping experience.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Produce isn't always that good and even for vegetables or fruit in season. I also don't appreciate little signs under the price of items, with the exact same price as above, i. e. not a sale, but it's supposed to look like one. Sometimes it's a sale price, sometimes it's not - it's ridiculous and you feel that you're being conned.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Giant is my go to place for my weekly grocery shop. Everything is always fresh and they have a large selection of items to choose from. The customer service is fantastic.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have shopped at Giant for about 16 years and always have received good service, helpful staff, and good produce. When I had a problem or needed an exchange they were always courteous and helpful.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Local Giant is generally good. The bakery is awesome and produce section always looks nice. Sometimes they don't have what I need but rare. The people in the pharmacy are very helpful but it’s nice to have a pharmacy on location.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

It is not the cheapest grocery store but I like the selection - even hard to find items - and the layout of the store seems logical to me. The aisles have plenty of space so that there is good flow. In other stores I often spend too much time looking around or feel frustrated when I leave.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

They have better quality than the other smaller grocery stores here! They are nice to deal with even helping with gas prices from using our rewards card!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The majority of employees very much try to assist you in almost anything you wish. Their advertisements are slightly messy on occasion, but csr's always please you instead.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Giant has fairly good prices compared to other grocery stores in my area; however, I think they could offer better weekly sales. Their produce prices are higher than I'd like them to be.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Cashiers and customer service personnel are always cooperative and helpful. Selection of products is not great, but value and rewards programs are generous.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My local store is smaller than other Giants. I like that many of the employees have been there over a year. Both management and staff are very helpful. It has a nice selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. Often the fresh items are from local farms. I like that they support local farmers.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Produce appears to be what's left over from the good stores. Selection continues to decline as they move toward their own branding which is not as good. Employees are not as happy as they used to be under other management. If you ask for something, it does not get any response.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I shot at Giant frequently, and for the most part, I am satisfied with the store and staff. There is one exception, however, that repeatedly stands out. That is the deli counter. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is early in the morning or late in the day. There is rarely anyone who will greet you, acknowledge that you are there, and wait on you in a timely fashion. I took a number this morning at 10:00. I stood and waited; no one even looked up at me. Two ladies were busy behind the counter, most likely preparing orders for those who had called in or completed an online order, or used the kiosk. I simply wanted 1/4 lb of salami. I waited and waited and then I left. There is no excuse for this. Had I taken a number and had to wait while a staff member waited on other customers, that would have been fine. But, to have no one there to wait on folks who take a number is unacceptable.

Giant Foods Company Information