1.86/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 16, 2018

179 Giant Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 16, 2018

I used to enjoy grocery shopping at the Collington Plaza Giant in Bowie, MD, but now the availability of quality products is so limited, that it’s not worth the trip. Other locations offer higher quality selections from produce to pantry items. This particular store just has plenty of highly processed and generic foods. Yuck! Please bring back quality products to this store too.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Hot Cross Buns at Giant stores: My sister and I wait each year for them to be sold; we buy at least 2 per week until they are sold no more for the year. THIS year, I found them in the store and bought a pkg. Went home and told my sister, "They are in the stores now." She went to her store in Vienna and bought a pkg. To our dismay... they had no spices in them... NO TASTE! The dough was lovely, lots of fruit and raisins like before, but NO SPICES, like maybe bergamot or cardamom or whatever the previous company used in them. Please... either inform the new company, or go back to the original company who makes them. We won't buy these, and it's a shame, because they only need the spices!

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

During my visit at Giant I was shopping for Garnier shampoo deal they had the spend 20.00 save 6.00 instantly. I thought, "Great. I have 4 coupons to use which were save 4 off 2." So I go in the line. The cashier instantly has an attitude rolling her eyes letting me know this is not going to go through. "Hmm why not??? It's a valid coupon." "No because with the sale the product is valued less than the coupon." Well how is that when the sale is 2 for 6.00 and the coupon is 4.00 off 2. The girl continues with an attitude so I tell her I do not want the product then and that I will contact someone.

I have never had a problem with my coupons before. I follow all coupon policies so I was upset with my treatment. I did have to ask the other cashier to bring back the few clearance items the rude cashier took when she was mad that I didn't want the shampoo anymore. I decided for the clearance items I would go to self checkout. Well the very rude cashier follows me and says they can ring me out at customer service. I didn't understand why the scene that was created honest made me feel like a criminal. Like I was doing something wrong. I was very uncomfortable. I will be taking my business elsewhere and letting the manufacturer know Giant does not accept their coupons.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have been shopping at Giant for almost over 35 years. Recently there has been a change to the meat department that we really don't like. It appears that the beef is no longer prepared at the store but "outsourced" from some outside vendor. The selection has been reduced and it is not always clear what cut of meat it is - most just says "Beef Roast". It has gotten so I go to Safeway or Shoppers Food Warehouse for the meat/chicken I want. If I want a Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster - something you always used to have - I now need to go to another grocery store. I don't like Safeway but they have a much better selection in their meat department than the Giant I go to - on Broad Street in Falls Church Virginia. I am very disappointed because I have always liked Giant but I will not be going there much anymore. If someone could please explain to me why this change has happened, I would appreciate it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I do appreciate the variety of products including an increasing number of organic foods. The store also has some "hot" foods available including different daily specials, salad bar and Chinese food. The addition of their alcoholic beverage section is very convenient. Although I have not yet tried it because I forget to bring my reusable shopping bags. Giant is also using a new system where you can scan and check-out your foods as you shop. As someone with some physical problems, this may be very helpful to waiting in line, taking things out of the cart and sometimes having to pack my own items which can be very painful for me. I wish that the "packers" would also be more available to take the items to my car. Their home delivery may also be an alternative to the whole shopping experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Giant?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Produce isn't always that good and even for vegetables or fruit in season. I also don't appreciate little signs under the price of items, with the exact same price as above, i. e. not a sale, but it's supposed to look like one. Sometimes it's a sale price, sometimes it's not - it's ridiculous and you feel that you're being conned.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Giant is my go to place for my weekly grocery shop. Everything is always fresh and they have a large selection of items to choose from. The customer service is fantastic.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have shopped at Giant for about 16 years and always have received good service, helpful staff, and good produce. When I had a problem or needed an exchange they were always courteous and helpful.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Local Giant is generally good. The bakery is awesome and produce section always looks nice. Sometimes they don't have what I need but rare. The people in the pharmacy are very helpful but it’s nice to have a pharmacy on location.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

It is not the cheapest grocery store but I like the selection - even hard to find items - and the layout of the store seems logical to me. The aisles have plenty of space so that there is good flow. In other stores I often spend too much time looking around or feel frustrated when I leave.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

They have better quality than the other smaller grocery stores here! They are nice to deal with even helping with gas prices from using our rewards card!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The majority of employees very much try to assist you in almost anything you wish. Their advertisements are slightly messy on occasion, but csr's always please you instead.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Giant has fairly good prices compared to other grocery stores in my area; however, I think they could offer better weekly sales. Their produce prices are higher than I'd like them to be.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Cashiers and customer service personnel are always cooperative and helpful. Selection of products is not great, but value and rewards programs are generous.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My local store is smaller than other Giants. I like that many of the employees have been there over a year. Both management and staff are very helpful. It has a nice selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. Often the fresh items are from local farms. I like that they support local farmers.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Produce appears to be what's left over from the good stores. Selection continues to decline as they move toward their own branding which is not as good. Employees are not as happy as they used to be under other management. If you ask for something, it does not get any response.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I shot at Giant frequently, and for the most part, I am satisfied with the store and staff. There is one exception, however, that repeatedly stands out. That is the deli counter. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is early in the morning or late in the day. There is rarely anyone who will greet you, acknowledge that you are there, and wait on you in a timely fashion. I took a number this morning at 10:00. I stood and waited; no one even looked up at me. Two ladies were busy behind the counter, most likely preparing orders for those who had called in or completed an online order, or used the kiosk. I simply wanted 1/4 lb of salami. I waited and waited and then I left. There is no excuse for this. Had I taken a number and had to wait while a staff member waited on other customers, that would have been fine. But, to have no one there to wait on folks who take a number is unacceptable.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have been a Giant shopper for at least 40 years. I was a Deli Manager for 23 years. There used to be high standards. Stores are very often poorly stocked. Cashiers are more interested in jawing with fellow cashiers instead of paying attention to customer. No longer do they count change to you. I have had cashiers not even telling me how much I owe. They just stand there. It is like they are going out of their way to greet you, good luck getting them to say thank you. I often tell them thank you, to which they will say "No Problem". They are often on their cell phones. I really hope it is not a problem.

Produce poor quality and often soaking wet. We go to a local market for produce because of that. It use to be that employees were not supposed to park right up front next to the store. Now they compete for the best parking spots. The Cherryvale Store in Reisterstown MD is particularly bad, with the St Thomas Store in Owings Mills, MD almost just as bad. I will continue to shop Giant, but need to go out of my way to do so.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

My overall experience at this store was horrible. I work 2nd and 3rd shift so my only time to be able to shop is during over night. My shopping was not able to be done because the entire meat and produce area was closed for floor cleaning. I was yelled and screamed at by the contacted floor company personnel because they were waxing floors. I went to the store manager about the issue and he proceeded to say that there's nothing he could do because they weren't Giants employees. Um excuse me but they are working in YOUR store. Are they not? So I was basically treated as if my shopping needs weren't important and that how I was talked to and treated was NOT a big issue. Well I can assure you that I myself and none of any of my family members will ever shop at any Giant foods store again. I'll take my business to Weis or Walmart from here on out.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I have been a customer of Giant supermarket in Willow Grove Pa. since it opened. I am sorry to report a recent dramatic decline in the management of this store. This past Saturday morning (07/22/2017) at approximately 11:45 AM I was checking out my purchases when the cashier inadvertently printed out my receipt without including the 5% discount coupon for my next shopping trip. She said that she could not print out the coupon after printing my receipt. She instructed me to go to the Customer Service counter, give them my membership card and they would print out the coupon.

I went to the Customer Service counter and there was one person ahead of me with three Giant staff behind the counter. The lady in front of me had her yard long cash register receipt and a copy of the Giant discount mailer. She was complaining that the price she paid for items was greater than the advertised prices in the mailer. The customer service representative spent at least 10 minutes comparing prices paid and advertised price, apparently not knowing how to resolve this discrepancy. The store manager, a grey haired, middle aged lady showed little interest in resolving this issue or assisting the next person in line. I was on the other side of the counter about three feet away from her trying to get her attention but she carefully avoided making eye contact with me.

She then proceeded to leave the Customer Service cubicle knowing that I was waiting in line, the other service representative was having great difficulty with a transaction taking much time to resolve, in order to man one of the check out stations. The third service representative was performing data entry for another Giant employee at her work station. After completing this task she left the Customer Service area to bag purchases that the manager was ringing up. I waited for approximately three minutes before I went to the manager's register and asked them whether they saw me in line waiting for service when they left the Customer Service area. The Manager ignored me but the service representative apologized and promptly stopped bagging and went to the service counter and printed out the coupon in less than 30 seconds.

I addition to management's disregard for customer service I have noted a decline in stocking of popular low fat or fat free yogurt products, salt free and other items that in the past were routinely stocked. The computer kiosks that are intended to speed up ordering of delicatessen products is frequently inoperable. I've noticed them being out of order at least once per month. The fresh fruit and produce counters are not as well managed as they had been in the past. Often products are on display that are overripe or have gone bad. For example egg plants were on display at two locations, and each location displayed all egg plants were overripe and in one case spoiled and moldy.

Another problem hindering shopping on the weekends is that many of the product vendors stock their shelves during prime shopping time, with their carts restricting access in the isles. Certainly the stocking of fast selling and quickly perishable fresh fruit and produce is appropriate during peak shopping times but not for canned or bottled goods or non perishable items. For the above cited reasons I feel that the Giant supermarket at Willow Grove is no longer a desirable shopping venue. This is a disappointment because some of the departments, in particular the fish and bakery departments are well managed and operated by customer service oriented personnel.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I have drawn this issue to several Giant staff members over the past years but it seems not important enough. I refer to the local store on Arlington Rd in Bethesda MD, and also the one near Democracy Blvd and Old Georgetown Rd also in Bethesda MD. On the overhead board in the Giant stores in Maryland where (all?) the various commodities are listed with the specific isle numbers where that commodity may be found, 'Rice' is not listed. If one does not know where it is to be found, then an unnecessary search needs to be made. This has been so for several years!

I made a comment (again) about it today (about 4.30 pm) to a cashier at the store near Democracy Rd but was asked if I knew where the rice was. My response was 'yes' whereupon I was rudely confronted with the statement that if I knew where it was, then why should I complain about. She obviously failed to understand that not all customers might know the location as I do.

Rice is a major food item and it should be indicated on the overhead board. (Please note that I am not referring to the general commodity labels over the specific isles.) Is this omission of rice on the overhead board a prolonged and inadvertent oversight or is it deliberate Giant policy? I do not wish to highlight any one individual following this report. I've been a Giant shopper for years.

Original review: July 19, 2017

On July 17, 2017 at 9:17 pm I had a grocery cart full of store items to be checked out. There were many other customers in the computerize check out too. It is difficult for me check out large diverse purchases, place food on the belt, check prices and bag items according to specialize bags I bring to the store to shop. I prefer personal cashier customer service because of the aforementioned. There are too many glitches with the computer self check out if I have a lot of groceries. When asked for a personal cashier, I was informed there is only one cashier in the store, that employee was on break and we have to use computer self checkout. An employee agreed to check me out and another agreed to bag. It appeared the help was offered due to a back up in all computer lines and my complaint about using this service.

Each employee were not customer friendly and did not make it easy for me to perform my normal check out verification process, coupons checks, price check, payment, Q&A and bagging. In fact, the packing of my purchased items were put in each bag carelessly without regard for item separation based on department and food purchase. My freezer bag for cold items zipper was destroyed with large non cold bottles being placed carelessly inside, bags were too heavy and filled to the top etc. I had plenty of bags. I will stop here describing my dissatisfactions because there is more. For instance how food stamps customers receive condescending remarks and looks about their purchases if they are confused as to what they can or can not purchase. But the employee's verbals were not negative. Only the abovementioned actions.

Finally, I feel you may have lost a loyal customers that shop at this store regularly, an average 3 visits per week and weekly a hefty shopping bill for large quantities of items purchased. And there is another new store in the neighborhood, Whole Foods, in which we patronized randomly in upper NW, but still remained loyal to Giant after they moved in the H Street NE Corridor. We plan to patronize them more and Giant less at this point in time.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have been shopping at Giant for over twenty years. I would say that one out of five times I am overcharged for an item on sale. If I didn't check my receipt I would not catch this "mistake". I have spoken to other people that shop at Giant and they have the same problem. When I go back they always make it right but why do I have to go back, why can't they correct this problem. Giant is close but I am seriously considering going elsewhere.

Original review: July 3, 2017

The Giant Food store in Reisterstown has gone downhill in the past several months. It used to be a real nice place to shop where customers and employees would talk and share. The store seems to have fallen into "grocery store hell" if there is such a place. The shelves seem to take forever to get stocked, the produce is old and wilted before any fresh produce is replaced and you can't seem to get assistance when you need it. I went over on a Friday - the day of the new sale. I asked the meat manager who looked like he was 19 years old, if there were any kabobs in the meat lockers as they were on sale. He just looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and walked away from me.

At other times, on a busy Friday evening or Saturday evening (between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.) there are only two regular cashiers available and if you need help at the self service, you stand there forever before anyone comes and rescues you from your blinking light and hung up register. The place has gone to the dogs. I hate to say it, but I want MARS back. They left Reisterstown and closed their store at the Reisterstown Shopping Center. Guaranteed it was a small store. But they sure treated you much better than the employees at Giant who look and act as though they could care less about their job and even lesser about customer service.

Original review: June 17, 2017

Giant Foods Cherry Valley in Reisterstown MD - Produce was wilted, not fresh. Most common items were either out of stock or missing. Deli salad selection was low. Used to be a wonderful one stop shopping experience. No more.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I was shopping at the 6529 store in Enola. Front end manager is out of control. I asked the self check out associate a question and we spoke for about a minute. Then manager walks in from taking smoke break and told me I need to leave because I am distracting her associate from her job. I said, "Hello I am a customer and am asking your associate something." She proceeded to be very rude and told me if I was done I needed to leave and I hadn't started shopping. Manager's name is Rachelle. She is out of control and needs terminated. I will be contacting Giant corporate office to file a complaint. Terrible customer service.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Re: Mountain Road deli workers. There can be three of them behind the counter but you could be there a good ten minutes. They don't look you in the eye, they hate the fact that they have to ask you if you want to try something because, uhm, once again not looking you in the eye. If you tell them you don't want to try anything they get all snippy and say they are required to ask even though you tell them to stop. They gossip the entire time. They walk around like zombies.

Original review: March 30, 2017

Giant Foods #6331 Simpson Ferry Rd Mechanicsburg PA. That store needs to rethink the way they treat their paying customers. The behavior I've seen displayed toward minorities there is disgusting. Today I went in for a money transfer through their Western Union. I'm the only one in line, filled out the forms and waited for Christine to take me. As I was waiting a lady walked up behind me and Christine glanced at me first and then at the lady and decided to call her up. So obvious that the lady protested that the gentleman was waiting first and she should take care of me first. I attempted to take a step but Christine was quick to brush that comment aside saying, "He's gonna be there a while." The lady was shocked but Christine proceeded to forcefully help her. And after Christine just help her hands over the counter without a word to grab my paperwork. I complied quietly and then requested to see her supervisor to whom I complained.

She promised to have a talk with her and I hope she did. Everybody's time is valuable and you should be courteous, fair and respectful to every single customer. You can't skip a customer who choose your business to spend their money because you have some issues and prejudices. I hope they have that incident on camera and use it to better train their employees on good customer service.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I visited the Giant, Glen Burnie, Cromwell shopping center on 02/26/2017 to have a prescription filled at the pharmacy. Consequently, I left the store not only without my prescription being filled, also without being given my prescription back. The young lady's lack of empathy, willing to listen, and desire to assist is just a few characteristics of her service and character. The experience was humiliating and unfortunate. I feel it was a true representation of her lack of customer service, professional soft skills and business acumen. People make the brand of an organization. Good luck with that! A customer over of 20yrs; no more.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

One would think Scan-IT is designed as a shopper convenience. Instead, my card is regularly flagged when I use it. Either the equipment appears to malfunction and a manager is summoned OR the checker lets me know I'm being audited. Points: Never have they found even 1 item I neglected to personally scan; if the system generally encourages dishonest people to cheat them, why does Giant continue to use Scan-IT? Who would not be insulted about regularly being singled out to have what allegedly is a self-check convenience continuously audited for honesty? It slows down the lines and inconveniences everyone waiting for the Scan-IT customer to complete their purchase.

Who else has had this experience? Is Giant simply mismanaging their equipment or tone deaf to the fact that they are mistreating a very long-time customer? Note: People have opined to me that Scan-IT is first and foremost a way for Giant to keep their employee count down and only secondarily a customer convenience.

Giant Foods Company Information