Giant Foods

Compare Grocery Stores

Research top Grocery Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was shopping at the 6529 store in Enola. Front end manager is out of control. I asked the self check out associate a question and we spoke for about a minute. Then manager walks in from taking smoke break and told me I need to leave because I am distracting her associate from her job. I said, "Hello I am a customer and am asking your associate something." She proceeded to be very rude and told me if I was done I needed to leave and I hadn't started shopping. Manager's name is Rachelle. She is out of control and needs terminated. I will be contacting Giant corporate office to file a complaint. Terrible customer service.

Re: Mountain Road deli workers. There can be three of them behind the counter but you could be there a good ten minutes. They don't look you in the eye, they hate the fact that they have to ask you if you want to try something because, uhm, once again not looking you in the eye. If you tell them you don't want to try anything they get all snippy and say they are required to ask even though you tell them to stop. They gossip the entire time. They walk around like zombies.

Giant Foods #6331 Simpson Ferry Rd Mechanicsburg PA. That store needs to rethink the way they treat their paying customers. The behavior I've seen displayed toward minorities there is disgusting. Today I went in for a money transfer through their Western Union. I'm the only one in line, filled out the forms and waited for Christine to take me. As I was waiting a lady walked up behind me and Christine glanced at me first and then at the lady and decided to call her up. So obvious that the lady protested that "the gentleman was waiting first" and she should take care of me first. I attempted to take a step but Christine was quick to brush that comment aside saying "he's gonna be there a while." The lady was shocked but Christine proceeded to forcefully help her. And after Christine just help her hands over the counter without a word to grab my paperwork. I complied quietly and then requested to see her supervisor to whom I complained.

She promised to have a talk with her and I hope she did. Everybody's time is valuable and you should be courteous, fair and respectful to every single customer. You can't skip a customer who choose your business to spend their money because you have some issues and prejudices. I hope they have that incident on camera and use it to better train their employees on good customer service.

I visited the Giant, Glen Burnie, Cromwell shopping center on 02/26/2017 to have a prescription filled at the pharmacy. Consequently, I left the store not only without my prescription being filled, also without being given my prescription back. The young lady's lack of empathy, willing to listen, and desire to assist is just a few characteristics of her service and character. The experience was humiliating and unfortunate. I feel it was a true representation of her lack of customer service, professional soft skills and business acumen. People make the brand of an organization. Good luck with that! A customer over of 20yrs; no more.

One would think Scan-IT is designed as a shopper convenience. Instead, my card is regularly flagged when I use it. Either the equipment appears to malfunction and a manager is summoned OR the checker lets me know I'm being audited. Points: Never have they found even 1 item I neglected to personally scan; if the system generally encourages dishonest people to cheat them, why does Giant continue to use Scan-IT? Who would not be insulted about regularly being singled out to have what allegedly is a self-check convenience continuously audited for honesty? It slows down the lines and inconveniences everyone waiting for the Scan-IT customer to complete their purchase.

Who else has had this experience? Is Giant simply mismanaging their equipment or tone deaf to the fact that they are mistreating a very long-time customer? Note: People have opined to me that Scan-IT is first and foremost a way for Giant to keep their employee count down and only secondarily a customer convenience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Giant?

Consumer Increased Rating!

Corporate treated me fantastically well like a regular should. Thank You Spence!!! Even complimented a cashier that didn't even assist me. Thanks to Spence and taking care of the complaint I had. I WILL BE SHOPPING AGAIN at the Chemical Road location. No it's not always about getting something. Sometimes it's being treated like the regular shopper you have been for decades. No one likes getting treated like dirt or sub human level and recognition can go a long way.

Steve of Plymouth Meeting, PA on

Original Review

All must know was a regular and treated like nothing. So I have a Food Stamp card, am ** and still treated like nothing. 2 incidents horrible manager named NICOLE who doesn't care about customer service and fake as fake can be. Last month I went to back of store, grabbed container, and a meal. Nowhere does it say can't use Food Stamp card. The attitude from the cashier and the supervisor was disgusting. Went to customer service a few days after and asked the manager on duty. Supervisor great apologizes, explains can't use card in Montgomery County, gives me gift card. Manager apologizes fake at best. Wasn't happy clearly getting a gift card. 2nd time. I have a balance again. The cashier at time not happy huffing and puffing.

Supervisor comes by. Tells her she's giving me attitude. She sees this and hears this. This is important here. We go to next register. I can't find my Food Stamp card. I put in my pants every time. I find it in the cart but not before cashier rudely says I scan and give it back always. I am so pissed with her attitude and remark. I yell, "REALLY? WHY? IT'S IN MY CART... RIGHT?" I go back to supervisor say see. I turn this ** who treated me like ** is now smiling and whispering. I start yelling "You're rude. Stop smiling." She actually yelled back and the supervisor allowed it never telling her to stop. "I am the customer" which I yelled. Man symbolizes I'm crazy to the cashier. Well those two customers were never from the start only saw me yelling.

I still have balance and knew how much was on the card. Lovely manager... now re rings me at cus srvc. Still fine. Tell her she apologize fakely all fakely. Asked if I had this happen the month before. I said, "Different but yes." Here the items now. Do I wait for this... want to buy it 2-3 times. Says this, "NO I don't want to buy it." "Are you sure?" "Yes. Why do I want to buy it if I was using my Food Stamp card?" Also both times I had to ask her and prod from her if me how she would feel? She even said not happy. I said, "Well I'm not." I told her that the same 2 customers who saw me yelled would probably say something against me. HEADS UP. She asked me again if I wanted the item? NO. I call corporate. This is last WED. I demand regional calls me back.

I go to ShopRite the next day, smiles, looked up my number, told me my Food Stamp balance, treated me like GOLD. Friday no joke call from same FAKE manager Nicole. "Hi this is Nicole. I thought everything was fine when you left." (I'm thinking, "You woke me the up and are you kidding me?") I snapped, "NO everything wasn't fine and you knew this." "I asked if you wanted item? You said no." I said, "Because you asked me if I wanted to buy it." "Oh well I don't remember that." I SNAP, "OF COURSE NOT BECAUSE IT'S AGAINST ME." She said, "That's not true." I said, "Yes it is." She said, "Well the 2 customers with the cashier behind you pulled me aside." I snapped. "Of course they did. I told you they weren't there from the start and 2 told you they'd be pulling you aside." She said, "Well the supervisor even said cashier did nothing wrong." I snapped, "Of course not."

She said, "So I don't see a reason to issue you a gift card." I reply, "Shocker, not." She said, "So can I do anything else?" I said, "Oh no you've done more than enough." I said, "You know what you said you weren't there and still rely you spoke to the 2 guests. Told you I wanted the ice cream and left without it." She even says, "Well had you wanted the item I could have scanned it differently and given it to you." I basically yelled "You knew I wanted the item. Are you kidding me?" Notice didn't offer it to me now. She continues about the Food Stamp card and no way would the cashier have not scanned and given it back to me basically calling me a liar and flipped the damn script on the... you know. I said, "So accidents don't happen?" She said, "Sure they do." I snapped, "Good that's all I need to hear."

Nicole said, "Was there anything else I can do for you?" I said, "You know what? You have done nothing but apologize and I want you to know I don't buy it and I don't believe you. So for the future knowing I'm a regular you can apologize and mean it." Stunned, "Oh I'm sorry." I said, "And you know what? That's what I'm talking about. I work this business and I can tell sincerity and you're not." I call Corporate again and snap. Why have I not even heard from regional as promised and I get her? I really now both times and tell him I expect that if ever back in the store she sees me she keeps walking, she is no longer to ever talk to me again. Tell him I said to tell regional thanks for not calling me and passing the buck and that I got more respect at ShopRite than I did there in the last 2 months.

Don't go to Giant on Chemical Road. Don't talk to Nicole. Warning you she's beyond fake... Good luck with corporate. You'll get nice people. Never the regional since you don't matter. THAT STORE AND BEST BUY PHONELINES AND CORPORATE NEED TO BE OUT OF BUSINESS OR RESCHOOLED ON customer service and what customers mean.

I shop at the Bartonsville Giant here in PA. I drive past 2 other grocery stores to get there - so that should tell you a great deal. :) The people there are always awesome, the service is the best in the area and that particular store is worth the drive.

Giant provides many selections of different brands, however, even though they promote sales of certain products, it has been my experience that as the sale products pricing goes down, other products pricing goes up to compensate. I've compared their prices to other stores and have found a great deal of higher pricing at Giant.

The store is a rather small. This affects available selection. I have requested an item to be carried on at least 3 occasions. Never has my request been honored. Once, I even stated I would buy a case of the product (Luzianne decaf tea bags) and I never even received a phone call to inform me that they weren't going to get it for me.

I like the quality and variety of foods available at my local Giant food store, however, due to the higher cost of items, I rarely visit there. I usually do my shopping at Sam's Club. Giant has a much larger variety of food items so when I only need a smaller amount of an item, something that is not available at Sam's Club, or they have something on sale that I could use, I shop at Giant Foods. The store is always clean and the service is good. I have 5 adult children and 5 grandchildren who are in my home several times a week so the larger sizes of items usually works well for our family.

I wish they included few other company foods for additional discounts, & I also wish they included a 3 Liter soda on top of 2-liter soda. I also wish that marks should slightly be lowered upon specified products compared with other stores.

The store has a good variety but some of the people who work there could use a few lessons in manners. If you ask them a question they act like you are bothering them. I have a service dog and have a severe back injury. One of the employees yelled at me and told me there was no reason for me to have a service dog and I should get out of the store.

The food is fresh, there is a large selection of products and the staff they are wonderful. I am disabled so it feels good when staff offer to reach things for me and also offer to help me transport my groceries to the car. My son used to work there part-time and he really enjoyed being a part of Giants store.

Giant is a nice and conveniently located grocery store. However, when the opportunity is presented I like to shop at other stores which offer variety, quality, and what I believe to be a better prices than Giant. For example - Wegman's and Trader Joe's are two that I make trips to at least 4-5 times a year to stock up on items that I cannot find at my Giant.

Giant has got the worst scanners of any place I've been. Also how about having your bag boys bag food instead of standing around shooting the **. I have to bag my own food while they converse. Overall Giant sucks ass.

Giant's circular coupon advertised shrimp for $5.77. Clerks needed manager since coupon didn't work on last day of sale. We all agreed photo on coupon matched the item purchased. Cost was REALLY $11.54 since it's a prepackaged 2 lb bag. Customers can't buy 1 lb, so why advertise a misleading price? Advertised price of $5.77 is nowhere on receipt, but $11.54 is price you have to pay. Even clerks were confused about the price until manager pointed out fine print. Lots of waiting and reviewing. They refunded my money when I went to Customer Service. I called the Corporate Office who will "share" with Marketing - they don't take your name or info. Nothing for my troubles. I like Giant's food choices but my trust is weakening due to deceptive advertising.

This is my neighborhood grocery. I would like to shop there, but they make it tough. The pharmacy is kind to let me know it is time to renew my mother's prescriptions. It's too bad that when I stop a couple of days later by to pick them up, the prescriptions are not ready. I need to come back another day for them. Why bother to call if you have not prepared the refill? I did return. I got the prescription and picked out some other items to buy. Then I go to the check-out line where every checker is a young person in training -- without any support.

After I three times ask another employee to call for or send for help in my lane or for another lane to open up (I even called the front desk from the lane), someone finally sent a bagger. He is useless and reluctant. He strolls over and then appears to study the situation. By the time he begins a desultory effort to assist, I am out of patience. There is still someone ahead of me, and I have waited more than 30 minutes in line. I tell this to the manager at the door after I abandon a cart of groceries on the conveyor belt. He says we can go back, gather up my stuff, and he will check me out in another lane. Who has time for this? I think I left $75-80 of groceries behind.

A month later, I try the store again (tonight). It is later in the evening than on my last-mentioned visit, and the parking lot looks empty. That approach did not work either. First I find a man and his children eating donuts right out of the bakery case. That killed my desire for baked goods. I have to hunt for someone on duty to pass on the info because it's tough to find anyone there at 7 p.m. I then head for the checkout line (one of only two open) where we are waiting for a price check. I wait quite awhile then consider heading for another lane, but I can see for myself there is a slow checker and no bagger. I give up on trying that lane after observing the slow pace.

So I go to self-serve -- even though I hate to self-check and have produce items so know this will be a cause of further delay. This is the only self-serve that I have ever seen that doesn't let you bag as you check so I wait and wait while the woman before me checks and then begins bagging at the end of a long conveyor belt. I try to bag as I check, but, at this store, the machine rejects that, and the clerk in the area says we have to start over. Who needs this? Maybe this store should work with a few skilled people instead of relying on many people who need more training before being out on the floor. Tonight I also abandoned a cart with about $75 of groceries.

Seriously, I do not want apologies. I want action. I called the manager from the parking lot to share my reaction and she says several times that "It's slow now." That is, of course, my point. Even when no one is shopping, this store is s...l...o...w. Maybe it would help if the person who watches the door watched the lines and sent people to help when things get bogged down. Maybe not. The bagger the manager sent to help on my prior visit was useless.

Tonight I looked at that long conveyor belt on the self-serve lane and foresaw a future in which there are no checkers and baggers. It will be a future in which I do all of the work myself. And I think I should be getting minimum wage and some health benefits instead of irritation and a trip to the Safeway first thing tomorrow morning.

I was just called by a friend to find out what I thought about Giant Food as she saw that a Roberta ** made a derogatory remark about Giant Food. WELL THAT WAS NOT ME. Yes, my name is Roberta **. The person with the name just Roberta ** is my sister-in-law who never changed her name through numerous marriages.

Please be advised that I love Giant Food Stores. They are generous to me and my organizations for helping collect items for the veterans and the needy. I highly recommend Giant Food Stores for all your needs. Every department is handled with great courtesy and kindness. So please be advised that I, ROBERTA **, LOVES THE GIANT FOOD STORES.

I live in Harrisburg City PA. As a customer I have traveled to your different stores to review your fruits and vegetables and have noted that at the Kline Village GIANT they don't have all of the freshness, variety, and organization as the GIANT'S in the more affluent neighborhoods. I have noted that our organic food section lacks anything that I see at the more affluent aka ** neighborhood GIANT FOOD STORES. Did you know that all your customers deserve the same treatment? Our dollars also spend and can be spent elsewhere as a citizen of this UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. We as a people are a awakening to the realization that our dollars aren't taken as seriously as the ** dollar. I will choose to spend my money elsewhere. This is sad. Most people shop at the Kline Village due to their inability to travel elsewhere. I believe corporations need to view all customers as equal.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Appears to be a one-time occurrence.

John of Exton, PA on

Original Review

Don't try to go to the deli at night. Even though the posted hours are until 10:00PM, I have been told there is "nothing they can do" when arriving at 9:20 because they have already cleaned their slicers for the night.

I went to my local Giant Food Store at the Cressona mall in Pennsylvania to buy only 1 Pound of c. slaw for $1.99 a Pound. The female employee to me, "WE ARE ALL OUT"! Then I viewed a hand full of M. Salad in the stainless steel pan, in the Deli Case. The pasta looked BROWN. I told the female employee that the M. Salad should be thrown out. She said, "IT HAS A DATE." I took a photo of it with my camera phone. The female employee said, "WHY ARE YOU TAKING A PHOTO?" I said, "so I can show the GIANT STORE manager."

The female employee TOOK OFF her name tag and said to me, "HERE! SHOW THIS TO THE MANAGER!" How rude is this to any cash paying customer? I called the store manager, he was very nice and gave me a $10 Gift Card! The point Is this, ANY employee who takes off their name tag, holds it up to a customer, and SAYS "HERE, SHOW THIS TO THE MANAGER" is in the WRONG JOB! This took place on 8/3/2016 at the GIANT Food Store at the Cressona PA Mall. For what it matters, I am a disabled person.

It took the manager 40 minutes to come to the phone for me to tell him about the spider in the apple juice. I was told to call later (and it already was 10:00 PM) as he was in the back. I said to get him and I would hold (which I did for too long a time.) This only puts more fuel into the fire.

I bought some food today in Giant Foods at 255 Northland Center. During the checkout, the cashier named ** asked me what is the name of the green peppers I bought. I told her I didn't know the exact name and asked her if she could find the correct item through the pictures. (They have that function in their checkout system.) Then she asked me what is the item code for the green peppers. I replied I didn't know that code. ** then became angry and upset and blamed me that I should know the name or the code of the item I am buying. She looked angry and upset, and she dropped the items I bought heavily into the plastic bag with attitude. Isn't it the cashier's responsibility of knowing the exact name or the code of the items in their store?

I've been shopping weekly at the Giant at Beacon Mall for 18 years. Although it's not my first choice of grocery stores, it seems to be a bit cheaper than Safeway and closer than Wegmans. Went in this morning, with my regular list. On the list were red delicious apples, non-dairy coffee creamer and ground beef.

The only red delicious apples left (6 or 7) were dinged and picked-over (as has been the case in the last 4 or so weeks). The non-dairy coffee creamer was nowhere to be found and there was one package of ground beef on the shelf. When I went to the butcher's counter, no one was to be found anywhere.

I yelled several times, in case someone was in the back. Still no one there. So I left my 1/2 filled grocery card and walked out. The management of that store is shoddy. The products occasionally available and it has gone downhill altogether in terms of customer service. I'm going to Wegmans for my weekly groceries. Giant, you have lost a loyal customer.

I was profiled when I went to Giant Food a young thug ** guy wearing a pistol. Pass me at least 5 times in the store giving me eye contact. I felt threatened. This is the store on Minnieville and Dale Boulevard. I will not go in there again and I will also tell my friends.

I like to shop at Giant for gas points, when they check pressure in my tires. Recently three weeks ago was a yellow bag on it saying it was not working. Last week stopped early in morning to fill up and put some air in a low tire. No yellow bag so went ahead and lo and behold the thing was still broke. No bag but the hose near the end was torn. Gosh my tire almost went flat. So today stopped for gas and one needed to look very closely that hose still broke... when you all going fix it?

My senior citizen mom bought groceries at the Giant on April 22 in front of me. She tried to pay with a personal check for less than $135. Giant uses TeleCheck to guarantee checks. TeleCheck declined the check. I already posted on ConsumerAffairs.com about the matter with respect to the very frustrating telephone call I made the next day to TeleCheck.

The bottom line is that the check was not declined for anything my mom could control. She had the bank account for months after moving to this area so was not a "new" account with which they had no experience. She had a history of writing checks at that store. She had never had a returned check. The TeleCheck manager did not refer to the procedure as "arbitrary." That is my characterization. But the TeleCheck manager said it could happen again at any time because the service does not check credit or even past history with the account (even though she knew it and could rattle off the most recent two check dates and amounts).

My problem with this is that I saw my mom's consternation and embarrassment at having her check declined. I was there to pay for the groceries and give her the extra $100 she wanted for things like her contribution at mass this week, and stamps at the post office. What if I had not been there? Giant did not seem prepared to remedy the situation. The clerk was flustered and ran it through again then "had nothing." He pointed out the TeleCheck contact information on the receipt.

I called Giant today. I spoke with a nice couple of people (** at customer service and **, the store's new manager of the last five months). They apologized, too. The manager offered a $25 gift card. But I declined it because we want reliable service. And arbitrary criteria for denying service will only lead to more unreliability. If you have to bring cash or credit card in case this is the day your check gets declined again, then we'll go some other place and see if the service improves. TeleCheck is not the only problem at this Giant. It was just the last straw that checks could be declined for no reason--to reduce the risk of fraud. Giant chose TeleCheck. TeleCheck's arbitrary process for approving or denying checks caused embarrassment that was unwarranted. Giant, low prices are not the only thing that matters to customers. We want quality service.

Shorten the checkout line... More cashiers and baggers available; more logical product placement throughout the store. Deli is awful... One person working usually and they obviously hate their jobs. Limited selection and poor customer service are the biggest deal breakers; Publix and Wegmans are opening in our area and I plan on switching to these stores even though I will drive much farther. Martin's in the Richmond, VA area is awful... poor customer service, limited selection, long lines at deli and checkout.

I was trying to check out on the self-service register. At one point, I needed help about a question. I pushed the button for help. Waited several minutes, spoke up and asked why I couldn't get help. One cashier "no name" went to the customer service area. Still nothing happened. There was Giant Personnel standing around, doing nothing. Like twiddling their thumbs, and sucking them. I couldn't get any help. Spoke up, and said "I was leaving." What is wrong with this store. What is wrong with the store manager, him or her, something is wrong.

No. This is not in my head. Period. I will go further with this. As I am demanding that there be action taken against the store manager, and/or district manager. This complaint will end up at the Desk of the CEO of the company. This is unsat. Period. Something needs to be done. Never purchased anything at this store. Needed help with something in the checkout process. I am disabled and am white. This is unreal. You don't discriminate against someone who is white and disabled, and a military veteran. This is what happened. I was in this "unsat" store about 3:15pm on Thursday March 3, 2016. Had I been an illegal alien or black, would I have gotten better service. I wonder.

At this store I had my foreign ID denied while I was purchasing beer. If there is a company policy stating that no foreign IDs are not accepted, I could understand that. What is really unacceptable is the way the manager of the cashiers treated me after checking my ID. I have been talked to like a criminal trying to steal rather than a customer that spends 200 dollars every week on that store.

Once again my complaint is not about denying my ID but the way I was treated. I did present my green card, which with hesitation, was finally accepted, making me feel really bad in front of other customers. I makes me really upset that people who have no care in the world for customer service, represent a company doing this poor of a job. So far Giant has not responded to my complaint and if it does I might return to update my review.

Giant Foods Company Profile