Giant Foods

Compare Grocery Stores

Research top Grocery Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I shop at the Bartonsville Giant here in PA. I drive past 2 other grocery stores to get there - so that should tell you a great deal. :) The people there are always awesome, the service is the best in the area and that particular store is worth the drive.

Giant provides many selections of different brands, however, even though they promote sales of certain products, it has been my experience that as the sale products pricing goes down, other products pricing goes up to compensate. I've compared their prices to other stores and have found a great deal of higher pricing at Giant.

The store is a rather small. This affects available selection. I have requested an item to be carried on at least 3 occasions. Never has my request been honored. Once, I even stated I would buy a case of the product (Luzianne decaf tea bags) and I never even received a phone call to inform me that they weren't going to get it for me.

I like the quality and variety of foods available at my local Giant food store, however, due to the higher cost of items, I rarely visit there. I usually do my shopping at Sam's Club. Giant has a much larger variety of food items so when I only need a smaller amount of an item, something that is not available at Sam's Club, or they have something on sale that I could use, I shop at Giant Foods. The store is always clean and the service is good. I have 5 adult children and 5 grandchildren who are in my home several times a week so the larger sizes of items usually works well for our family.

I wish they included few other company foods for additional discounts, & I also wish they included a 3 Liter soda on top of 2-liter soda. I also wish that marks should slightly be lowered upon specified products compared with other stores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Giant?

The store has a good variety but some of the people who work there could use a few lessons in manners. If you ask them a question they act like you are bothering them. I have a service dog and have a severe back injury. One of the employees yelled at me and told me there was no reason for me to have a service dog and I should get out of the store.

The food is fresh, there is a large selection of products and the staff they are wonderful. I am disabled so it feels good when staff offer to reach things for me and also offer to help me transport my groceries to the car. My son used to work there part-time and he really enjoyed being a part of Giants store.

Giant is a nice and conveniently located grocery store. However, when the opportunity is presented I like to shop at other stores which offer variety, quality, and what I believe to be a better prices than Giant. For example - Wegman's and Trader Joe's are two that I make trips to at least 4-5 times a year to stock up on items that I cannot find at my Giant.

Giant has got the worst scanners of any place I've been. Also how about having your bag boys bag food instead of standing around shooting the **. I have to bag my own food while they converse. Overall Giant sucks ass.

Giant's circular coupon advertised shrimp for $5.77. Clerks needed manager since coupon didn't work on last day of sale. We all agreed photo on coupon matched the item purchased. Cost was REALLY $11.54 since it's a prepackaged 2 lb bag. Customers can't buy 1 lb, so why advertise a misleading price? Advertised price of $5.77 is nowhere on receipt, but $11.54 is price you have to pay. Even clerks were confused about the price until manager pointed out fine print. Lots of waiting and reviewing. They refunded my money when I went to Customer Service. I called the Corporate Office who will "share" with Marketing - they don't take your name or info. Nothing for my troubles. I like Giant's food choices but my trust is weakening due to deceptive advertising.

This is my neighborhood grocery. I would like to shop there, but they make it tough. The pharmacy is kind to let me know it is time to renew my mother's prescriptions. It's too bad that when I stop a couple of days later by to pick them up, the prescriptions are not ready. I need to come back another day for them. Why bother to call if you have not prepared the refill? I did return. I got the prescription and picked out some other items to buy. Then I go to the check-out line where every checker is a young person in training -- without any support.

After I three times ask another employee to call for or send for help in my lane or for another lane to open up (I even called the front desk from the lane), someone finally sent a bagger. He is useless and reluctant. He strolls over and then appears to study the situation. By the time he begins a desultory effort to assist, I am out of patience. There is still someone ahead of me, and I have waited more than 30 minutes in line. I tell this to the manager at the door after I abandon a cart of groceries on the conveyor belt. He says we can go back, gather up my stuff, and he will check me out in another lane. Who has time for this? I think I left $75-80 of groceries behind.

A month later, I try the store again (tonight). It is later in the evening than on my last-mentioned visit, and the parking lot looks empty. That approach did not work either. First I find a man and his children eating donuts right out of the bakery case. That killed my desire for baked goods. I have to hunt for someone on duty to pass on the info because it's tough to find anyone there at 7 p.m. I then head for the checkout line (one of only two open) where we are waiting for a price check. I wait quite awhile then consider heading for another lane, but I can see for myself there is a slow checker and no bagger. I give up on trying that lane after observing the slow pace.

So I go to self-serve -- even though I hate to self-check and have produce items so know this will be a cause of further delay. This is the only self-serve that I have ever seen that doesn't let you bag as you check so I wait and wait while the woman before me checks and then begins bagging at the end of a long conveyor belt. I try to bag as I check, but, at this store, the machine rejects that, and the clerk in the area says we have to start over. Who needs this? Maybe this store should work with a few skilled people instead of relying on many people who need more training before being out on the floor. Tonight I also abandoned a cart with about $75 of groceries.

Seriously, I do not want apologies. I want action. I called the manager from the parking lot to share my reaction and she says several times that "It's slow now." That is, of course, my point. Even when no one is shopping, this store is s...l...o...w. Maybe it would help if the person who watches the door watched the lines and sent people to help when things get bogged down. Maybe not. The bagger the manager sent to help on my prior visit was useless.

Tonight I looked at that long conveyor belt on the self-serve lane and foresaw a future in which there are no checkers and baggers. It will be a future in which I do all of the work myself. And I think I should be getting minimum wage and some health benefits instead of irritation and a trip to the Safeway first thing tomorrow morning.

I was just called by a friend to find out what I thought about Giant Food as she saw that a Roberta ** made a derogatory remark about Giant Food. WELL THAT WAS NOT ME. Yes, my name is Roberta **. The person with the name just Roberta ** is my sister-in-law who never changed her name through numerous marriages.

Please be advised that I love Giant Food Stores. They are generous to me and my organizations for helping collect items for the veterans and the needy. I highly recommend Giant Food Stores for all your needs. Every department is handled with great courtesy and kindness. So please be advised that I, ROBERTA **, LOVES THE GIANT FOOD STORES.

I live in Harrisburg City PA. As a customer I have traveled to your different stores to review your fruits and vegetables and have noted that at the Kline Village GIANT they don't have all of the freshness, variety, and organization as the GIANT'S in the more affluent neighborhoods. I have noted that our organic food section lacks anything that I see at the more affluent aka ** neighborhood GIANT FOOD STORES. Did you know that all your customers deserve the same treatment? Our dollars also spend and can be spent elsewhere as a citizen of this UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. We as a people are a awakening to the realization that our dollars aren't taken as seriously as the ** dollar. I will choose to spend my money elsewhere. This is sad. Most people shop at the Kline Village due to their inability to travel elsewhere. I believe corporations need to view all customers as equal.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Appears to be a one-time occurrence.

John of Exton, PA on

Original Review

Don't try to go to the deli at night. Even though the posted hours are until 10:00PM, I have been told there is "nothing they can do" when arriving at 9:20 because they have already cleaned their slicers for the night.

I went to my local Giant Food Store at the Cressona mall in Pennsylvania to buy only 1 Pound of c. slaw for $1.99 a Pound. The female employee to me, "WE ARE ALL OUT"! Then I viewed a hand full of M. Salad in the stainless steel pan, in the Deli Case. The pasta looked BROWN. I told the female employee that the M. Salad should be thrown out. She said, "IT HAS A DATE." I took a photo of it with my camera phone. The female employee said, "WHY ARE YOU TAKING A PHOTO?" I said, "so I can show the GIANT STORE manager."

The female employee TOOK OFF her name tag and said to me, "HERE! SHOW THIS TO THE MANAGER!" How rude is this to any cash paying customer? I called the store manager, he was very nice and gave me a $10 Gift Card! The point Is this, ANY employee who takes off their name tag, holds it up to a customer, and SAYS "HERE, SHOW THIS TO THE MANAGER" is in the WRONG JOB! This took place on 8/3/2016 at the GIANT Food Store at the Cressona PA Mall. For what it matters, I am a disabled person.

It took the manager 40 minutes to come to the phone for me to tell him about the spider in the apple juice. I was told to call later (and it already was 10:00 PM) as he was in the back. I said to get him and I would hold (which I did for too long a time.) This only puts more fuel into the fire.

I bought some food today in Giant Foods at 255 Northland Center. During the checkout, the cashier named ** asked me what is the name of the green peppers I bought. I told her I didn't know the exact name and asked her if she could find the correct item through the pictures. (They have that function in their checkout system.) Then she asked me what is the item code for the green peppers. I replied I didn't know that code. ** then became angry and upset and blamed me that I should know the name or the code of the item I am buying. She looked angry and upset, and she dropped the items I bought heavily into the plastic bag with attitude. Isn't it the cashier's responsibility of knowing the exact name or the code of the items in their store?

I've been shopping weekly at the Giant at Beacon Mall for 18 years. Although it's not my first choice of grocery stores, it seems to be a bit cheaper than Safeway and closer than Wegmans. Went in this morning, with my regular list. On the list were red delicious apples, non-dairy coffee creamer and ground beef.

The only red delicious apples left (6 or 7) were dinged and picked-over (as has been the case in the last 4 or so weeks). The non-dairy coffee creamer was nowhere to be found and there was one package of ground beef on the shelf. When I went to the butcher's counter, no one was to be found anywhere.

I yelled several times, in case someone was in the back. Still no one there. So I left my 1/2 filled grocery card and walked out. The management of that store is shoddy. The products occasionally available and it has gone downhill altogether in terms of customer service. I'm going to Wegmans for my weekly groceries. Giant, you have lost a loyal customer.

I was profiled when I went to Giant Food a young thug ** guy wearing a pistol. Pass me at least 5 times in the store giving me eye contact. I felt threatened. This is the store on Minnieville and Dale Boulevard. I will not go in there again and I will also tell my friends.

I like to shop at Giant for gas points, when they check pressure in my tires. Recently three weeks ago was a yellow bag on it saying it was not working. Last week stopped early in morning to fill up and put some air in a low tire. No yellow bag so went ahead and lo and behold the thing was still broke. No bag but the hose near the end was torn. Gosh my tire almost went flat. So today stopped for gas and one needed to look very closely that hose still broke... when you all going fix it?

My senior citizen mom bought groceries at the Giant on April 22 in front of me. She tried to pay with a personal check for less than $135. Giant uses TeleCheck to guarantee checks. TeleCheck declined the check. I already posted on ConsumerAffairs.com about the matter with respect to the very frustrating telephone call I made the next day to TeleCheck.

The bottom line is that the check was not declined for anything my mom could control. She had the bank account for months after moving to this area so was not a "new" account with which they had no experience. She had a history of writing checks at that store. She had never had a returned check. The TeleCheck manager did not refer to the procedure as "arbitrary." That is my characterization. But the TeleCheck manager said it could happen again at any time because the service does not check credit or even past history with the account (even though she knew it and could rattle off the most recent two check dates and amounts).

My problem with this is that I saw my mom's consternation and embarrassment at having her check declined. I was there to pay for the groceries and give her the extra $100 she wanted for things like her contribution at mass this week, and stamps at the post office. What if I had not been there? Giant did not seem prepared to remedy the situation. The clerk was flustered and ran it through again then "had nothing." He pointed out the TeleCheck contact information on the receipt.

I called Giant today. I spoke with a nice couple of people (** at customer service and **, the store's new manager of the last five months). They apologized, too. The manager offered a $25 gift card. But I declined it because we want reliable service. And arbitrary criteria for denying service will only lead to more unreliability. If you have to bring cash or credit card in case this is the day your check gets declined again, then we'll go some other place and see if the service improves. TeleCheck is not the only problem at this Giant. It was just the last straw that checks could be declined for no reason--to reduce the risk of fraud. Giant chose TeleCheck. TeleCheck's arbitrary process for approving or denying checks caused embarrassment that was unwarranted. Giant, low prices are not the only thing that matters to customers. We want quality service.

Shorten the checkout line... More cashiers and baggers available; more logical product placement throughout the store. Deli is awful... One person working usually and they obviously hate their jobs. Limited selection and poor customer service are the biggest deal breakers; Publix and Wegmans are opening in our area and I plan on switching to these stores even though I will drive much farther. Martin's in the Richmond, VA area is awful... poor customer service, limited selection, long lines at deli and checkout.

I was trying to check out on the self-service register. At one point, I needed help about a question. I pushed the button for help. Waited several minutes, spoke up and asked why I couldn't get help. One cashier "no name" went to the customer service area. Still nothing happened. There was Giant Personnel standing around, doing nothing. Like twiddling their thumbs, and sucking them. I couldn't get any help. Spoke up, and said "I was leaving." What is wrong with this store. What is wrong with the store manager, him or her, something is wrong.

No. This is not in my head. Period. I will go further with this. As I am demanding that there be action taken against the store manager, and/or district manager. This complaint will end up at the Desk of the CEO of the company. This is unsat. Period. Something needs to be done. Never purchased anything at this store. Needed help with something in the checkout process. I am disabled and am white. This is unreal. You don't discriminate against someone who is white and disabled, and a military veteran. This is what happened. I was in this "unsat" store about 3:15pm on Thursday March 3, 2016. Had I been an illegal alien or black, would I have gotten better service. I wonder.

At this store I had my foreign ID denied while I was purchasing beer. If there is a company policy stating that no foreign IDs are not accepted, I could understand that. What is really unacceptable is the way the manager of the cashiers treated me after checking my ID. I have been talked to like a criminal trying to steal rather than a customer that spends 200 dollars every week on that store.

Once again my complaint is not about denying my ID but the way I was treated. I did present my green card, which with hesitation, was finally accepted, making me feel really bad in front of other customers. I makes me really upset that people who have no care in the world for customer service, represent a company doing this poor of a job. So far Giant has not responded to my complaint and if it does I might return to update my review.

At 2:15 PM on 2/2/2016 I walked up to the Deli counter. I saw no one behind the counter so I waited. And I waited and I waited. Finally, I was greeted (if you can call it that) by "You ready?" I replied "Yes" and said "I wanted 1/2 pound of roast beef." She cut the meat then asked "What does it say- Italian" so she could code the price in. I replied, "it doesn't say Italian. It doesn't say regular either". She handed me my meat and said nothing. So I took my meat and said nothing. As I walked away she mumbled something so I turned around and asked her what she just said and she replied "you have an attitude". Really? I HAVE AN ATTITUDE. I handed her meat back to her and she yelled "have a nice day". Horrible experience and I will never subject myself to it again. I will make sure everyone I know hears this story.

I recently shopped at a Giant Foods in Lebanon, PA and a small head of cabbage was rung up incorrectly at over $7. The error wasn't discovered until I returned home. Upon discovering the error I had to return to the store which is about a 15 minute drive then wait another 10 minutes to see a customer service rep. To my dismay, I discovered that Giant no longer has a pricing guarantee where the item is free if it doesn't scan correctly. This change of policy really ticked me off because of the time wasted in getting the situation corrected and the fact the store really has no incentive to assure correct pricing at the registers. This policy change has caused Giant to lose me as a customer. In the future I will do all of my shopping at Weis Markets which still has a pricing accuracy guarantee.

This exchange happened on Sunday, December 20, 2015 at the pharmacy with Halima and Erin. I dropped a narcotic prescription on the 15th, Tuesday, to a gentleman's name I do not know who ran it under my insurance and notified me that there must be a prior authorization completed for the prescription to be covered under my insurance. I understood and said it was fine to send it to my doctor's office. He kindly retrieved my phone number and notified me that I should be receiving a call about it by Thursday.

Today is Sunday and I called the pharmacy and I spoke to a technician named Halima. I explained to her that I needed my medication and if the prior authorization has been completed. She placed me on hold then informed me as she took me off hold that she cannot find my prescription. I told her the date and time of when I dropped it off, that it is a narcotic prescription and if they had lost it then I will have an issue with the pharmacy. She placed me on hold again and as she took me off hold she didn't inform me that they had found it, rather that I needed to call my insurance, coldly.

I explained to her that I spoke to my insurance company as well as my doctor's office and they both informed me that the authorization went through and for the pharmacy to process it. I tried explaining this to Halima multiple times but each time I tried to explain she cut me off and kept telling me that she refuses to process the prescription today and that I needed to call the insurance and then explaining the process of how a prior authorization works. I asked her why she refuses to process my prescription today multiple times however she did not give me a reason. I had to ask her to stop speaking so she can listen to me. I then explained that I have already done the things she is currently asking me to do and that the authorization should be completed and she needed to process it to find out for sure.

After she finally listened, she was speaking to the pharmacist while I was on the phone informing her to submit the claim. From my understanding, she wanted me to contact my insurance and my doctor's office before even submitting my prescription and knowing if there was still an issue processing it or not. She put me on hold again while they processed it. When I was taken off hold I spoke to the pharmacist Erin. I explained to her that all I wanted to know was if my prescription went through and to send me to go speak to my insurance or my doctor's office is unacceptable if they haven't even tried to process it yet. She responded coldly, "okay...?" then remained silent.

I asked her if she spoke to patients normally like this when there is no need to be rude. I told her the only reason I am calling is because I need my medication. I told her that I am upset because I was told by Halima to contact my doctor's office and insurance company when she did not even try to submit my prescription. She cut me off to defend Halima in saying, I was not listening to Halima and that I keep talking instead of listening to her to understand what is going on. However, in actuality I was unable to speak at all and I was extremely frustrated because I could not get a word in as I was talking to Halima. I explained to Erin that I already understand what is going on, and that is not the point. I told her that "It is your duty as a pharmacist to ensure me that my prescriptions should never be "lost" and also you will do your best in order for it to be ready this week."

She told me that to "not talk to her like that" that I was speaking to her rudely and that I still needed to contact my doctor's office and insurance and there is nothing else she will do. As a "health professional" who is dispensing medication to patients who unfortunately cannot function a day-to-day life without their prescriptions, it is important to be sympathetic and helpful. Not send patients around to their insurance and doctor's office to resolve an issue that the pharmacy is supposed to resolve themselves. Or at least get involved to help. This coldhearted, uncompassionate and primitive exchange with Erin and Halima who are supposed "health professionals" has made me decide I will no longer use Giant Pharmacy for any of mine or my family's medication. Unfortunately, I did not experience any kind of "professional" behavior of any kind.

I recently went shopping at Giant, something I never do and found it a nightmare. The shelves aren't properly stocked, and the aisles are so crowded it is like bumper cars. The employees don't know where anything is and don't seem to care about helping you. Where are canned mushrooms, "we don't have them". I found the young man behind the register so surly that when I eventually told him to void my transaction, and he insisted he wouldn't do it.

He also ended up adding a few extras to my order that were laying around about $70 dollars worth. When he insisted on charging me for my old ratty bags saying "they were new", I told him to unbag order and keep them. Since I didn't want them. In process of unbag the schmuck damaged every item possible. If a bag is old, has been used repeatedly, I guess they expect all customers to always carry receipts or risk being accused of theft. I have been shopping there since day they built it, and now I will never go back.

I have been a customer of the Giant in Catonsville, MD for years. Customer service used to be great but it has gotten bad over the years. I went today to send money via Western Union overseas. The young girl working Western Union today was incompetent and disrespectful. It took her 20-30 minutes to help one customer with Western Union. During that 20-30 minutes she would be focused on other things instead of working. She would have conversations with her co-workers instead; asking what they were doing. When it was mine turn she gave me an attitude and was no help. She wasn't going to help me because I didn't have 2 forms of ID for the amount of money I was sending.

I have sent money multiple times at that Giant and never had a problem until now. My name and everything is already in their system. I don't understand why she was making things so difficult. I have no plans on ever returning to that Giant. I will never step foot in that Giant again.

I am an old customer to this store in Wheaton, MD. I have observe more than a couple of times how the cashiers are so racist to Spanish people, and I just hate it! We are all humans and we should be treated the same way as the others. I have observed many times that people that are buying with wic, are being treated so rude. I don't like this. Please giant customer support, do something about it. Cashier name Gary had a bad attitude to your customer. It's so sad to have to see this kind of people. What happens to customer being satisfied???

Giant Foods Company Profile