Giant Foods
  • 1 star
Based on 37 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Giant Foods

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 7, 2017

175 Giant Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I do appreciate the variety of products including an increasing number of organic foods. The store also has some "hot" foods available including different daily specials, salad bar and Chinese food. The addition of their alcoholic beverage section is very convenient. Although I have not yet tried it because I forget to bring my reusable shopping bags. Giant is also using a new system where you can scan and check-out your foods as you shop. As someone with some physical problems, this may be very helpful to waiting in line, taking things out of the cart and sometimes having to pack my own items which can be very painful for me. I wish that the "packers" would also be more available to take the items to my car. Their home delivery may also be an alternative to the whole shopping experience.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Produce isn't always that good and even for vegetables or fruit in season. I also don't appreciate little signs under the price of items, with the exact same price as above, i. e. not a sale, but it's supposed to look like one. Sometimes it's a sale price, sometimes it's not - it's ridiculous and you feel that you're being conned.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Giant is my go to place for my weekly grocery shop. Everything is always fresh and they have a large selection of items to choose from. The customer service is fantastic.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have shopped at Giant for about 16 years and always have received good service, helpful staff, and good produce. When I had a problem or needed an exchange they were always courteous and helpful.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Local Giant is generally good. The bakery is awesome and produce section always looks nice. Sometimes they don't have what I need but rare. The people in the pharmacy are very helpful but it’s nice to have a pharmacy on location.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Giant?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

It is not the cheapest grocery store but I like the selection - even hard to find items - and the layout of the store seems logical to me. The aisles have plenty of space so that there is good flow. In other stores I often spend too much time looking around or feel frustrated when I leave.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

They have better quality than the other smaller grocery stores here! They are nice to deal with even helping with gas prices from using our rewards card!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

The majority of employees very much try to assist you in almost anything you wish. Their advertisements are slightly messy on occasion, but csr's always please you instead.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Giant has fairly good prices compared to other grocery stores in my area; however, I think they could offer better weekly sales. Their produce prices are higher than I'd like them to be.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Cashiers and customer service personnel are always cooperative and helpful. Selection of products is not great, but value and rewards programs are generous.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My local store is smaller than other Giants. I like that many of the employees have been there over a year. Both management and staff are very helpful. It has a nice selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. Often the fresh items are from local farms. I like that they support local farmers.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Produce appears to be what's left over from the good stores. Selection continues to decline as they move toward their own branding which is not as good. Employees are not as happy as they used to be under other management. If you ask for something, it does not get any response.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I shot at Giant frequently, and for the most part, I am satisfied with the store and staff. There is one exception, however, that repeatedly stands out. That is the deli counter. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is early in the morning or late in the day. There is rarely anyone who will greet you, acknowledge that you are there, and wait on you in a timely fashion. I took a number this morning at 10:00. I stood and waited; no one even looked up at me. Two ladies were busy behind the counter, most likely preparing orders for those who had called in or completed an online order, or used the kiosk. I simply wanted 1/4 lb of salami. I waited and waited and then I left. There is no excuse for this. Had I taken a number and had to wait while a staff member waited on other customers, that would have been fine. But, to have no one there to wait on folks who take a number is unacceptable.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have been a Giant shopper for at least 40 years. I was a Deli Manager for 23 years. There used to be high standards. Stores are very often poorly stocked. Cashiers are more interested in jawing with fellow cashiers instead of paying attention to customer. No longer do they count change to you. I have had cashiers not even telling me how much I owe. They just stand there. It is like they are going out of their way to greet you, good luck getting them to say thank you. I often tell them thank you, to which they will say "No Problem". They are often on their cell phones. I really hope it is not a problem.

Produce poor quality and often soaking wet. We go to a local market for produce because of that. It use to be that employees were not supposed to park right up front next to the store. Now they compete for the best parking spots. The Cherryvale Store in Reisterstown MD is particularly bad, with the St Thomas Store in Owings Mills, MD almost just as bad. I will continue to shop Giant, but need to go out of my way to do so.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

My overall experience at this store was horrible. I work 2nd and 3rd shift so my only time to be able to shop is during over night. My shopping was not able to be done because the entire meat and produce area was closed for floor cleaning. I was yelled and screamed at by the contacted floor company personnel because they were waxing floors. I went to the store manager about the issue and he proceeded to say that there's nothing he could do because they weren't Giants employees. Um excuse me but they are working in YOUR store. Are they not? So I was basically treated as if my shopping needs weren't important and that how I was talked to and treated was NOT a big issue. Well I can assure you that I myself and none of any of my family members will ever shop at any Giant foods store again. I'll take my business to Weis or Walmart from here on out.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I have been a customer of Giant supermarket in Willow Grove Pa. since it opened. I am sorry to report a recent dramatic decline in the management of this store. This past Saturday morning (07/22/2017) at approximately 11:45 AM I was checking out my purchases when the cashier inadvertently printed out my receipt without including the 5% discount coupon for my next shopping trip. She said that she could not print out the coupon after printing my receipt. She instructed me to go to the Customer Service counter, give them my membership card and they would print out the coupon.

I went to the Customer Service counter and there was one person ahead of me with three Giant staff behind the counter. The lady in front of me had her yard long cash register receipt and a copy of the Giant discount mailer. She was complaining that the price she paid for items was greater than the advertised prices in the mailer. The customer service representative spent at least 10 minutes comparing prices paid and advertised price, apparently not knowing how to resolve this discrepancy. The store manager, a grey haired, middle aged lady showed little interest in resolving this issue or assisting the next person in line. I was on the other side of the counter about three feet away from her trying to get her attention but she carefully avoided making eye contact with me.

She then proceeded to leave the Customer Service cubicle knowing that I was waiting in line, the other service representative was having great difficulty with a transaction taking much time to resolve, in order to man one of the check out stations. The third service representative was performing data entry for another Giant employee at her work station. After completing this task she left the Customer Service area to bag purchases that the manager was ringing up. I waited for approximately three minutes before I went to the manager's register and asked them whether they saw me in line waiting for service when they left the Customer Service area. The Manager ignored me but the service representative apologized and promptly stopped bagging and went to the service counter and printed out the coupon in less than 30 seconds.

I addition to management's disregard for customer service I have noted a decline in stocking of popular low fat or fat free yogurt products, salt free and other items that in the past were routinely stocked. The computer kiosks that are intended to speed up ordering of delicatessen products is frequently inoperable. I've noticed them being out of order at least once per month. The fresh fruit and produce counters are not as well managed as they had been in the past. Often products are on display that are overripe or have gone bad. For example egg plants were on display at two locations, and each location displayed all egg plants were overripe and in one case spoiled and moldy.

Another problem hindering shopping on the weekends is that many of the product vendors stock their shelves during prime shopping time, with their carts restricting access in the isles. Certainly the stocking of fast selling and quickly perishable fresh fruit and produce is appropriate during peak shopping times but not for canned or bottled goods or non perishable items. For the above cited reasons I feel that the Giant supermarket at Willow Grove is no longer a desirable shopping venue. This is a disappointment because some of the departments, in particular the fish and bakery departments are well managed and operated by customer service oriented personnel.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I have drawn this issue to several Giant staff members over the past years but it seems not important enough. I refer to the local store on Arlington Rd in Bethesda MD, and also the one near Democracy Blvd and Old Georgetown Rd also in Bethesda MD. On the overhead board in the Giant stores in Maryland where (all?) the various commodities are listed with the specific isle numbers where that commodity may be found, 'Rice' is not listed. If one does not know where it is to be found, then an unnecessary search needs to be made. This has been so for several years!

I made a comment (again) about it today (about 4.30 pm) to a cashier at the store near Democracy Rd but was asked if I knew where the rice was. My response was 'yes' whereupon I was rudely confronted with the statement that if I knew where it was, then why should I complain about. She obviously failed to understand that not all customers might know the location as I do.

Rice is a major food item and it should be indicated on the overhead board. (Please note that I am not referring to the general commodity labels over the specific isles.) Is this omission of rice on the overhead board a prolonged and inadvertent oversight or is it deliberate Giant policy? I do not wish to highlight any one individual following this report. I've been a Giant shopper for years.

Original review: July 19, 2017

On July 17, 2017 at 9:17 pm I had a grocery cart full of store items to be checked out. There were many other customers in the computerize check out too. It is difficult for me check out large diverse purchases, place food on the belt, check prices and bag items according to specialize bags I bring to the store to shop. I prefer personal cashier customer service because of the aforementioned. There are too many glitches with the computer self check out if I have a lot of groceries. When asked for a personal cashier, I was informed there is only one cashier in the store, that employee was on break and we have to use computer self checkout. An employee agreed to check me out and another agreed to bag. It appeared the help was offered due to a back up in all computer lines and my complaint about using this service.

Each employee were not customer friendly and did not make it easy for me to perform my normal check out verification process, coupons checks, price check, payment, Q&A and bagging. In fact, the packing of my purchased items were put in each bag carelessly without regard for item separation based on department and food purchase. My freezer bag for cold items zipper was destroyed with large non cold bottles being placed carelessly inside, bags were too heavy and filled to the top etc. I had plenty of bags. I will stop here describing my dissatisfactions because there is more. For instance how food stamps customers receive condescending remarks and looks about their purchases if they are confused as to what they can or can not purchase. But the employee's verbals were not negative. Only the abovementioned actions.

Finally, I feel you may have lost a loyal customers that shop at this store regularly, an average 3 visits per week and weekly a hefty shopping bill for large quantities of items purchased. And there is another new store in the neighborhood, Whole Foods, in which we patronized randomly in upper NW, but still remained loyal to Giant after they moved in the H Street NE Corridor. We plan to patronize them more and Giant less at this point in time.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have been shopping at Giant for over twenty years. I would say that one out of five times I am overcharged for an item on sale. If I didn't check my receipt I would not catch this "mistake". I have spoken to other people that shop at Giant and they have the same problem. When I go back they always make it right but why do I have to go back, why can't they correct this problem. Giant is close but I am seriously considering going elsewhere.

Original review: July 3, 2017

The Giant Food store in Reisterstown has gone downhill in the past several months. It used to be a real nice place to shop where customers and employees would talk and share. The store seems to have fallen into "grocery store hell" if there is such a place. The shelves seem to take forever to get stocked, the produce is old and wilted before any fresh produce is replaced and you can't seem to get assistance when you need it. I went over on a Friday - the day of the new sale. I asked the meat manager who looked like he was 19 years old, if there were any kabobs in the meat lockers as they were on sale. He just looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and walked away from me.

At other times, on a busy Friday evening or Saturday evening (between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.) there are only two regular cashiers available and if you need help at the self service, you stand there forever before anyone comes and rescues you from your blinking light and hung up register. The place has gone to the dogs. I hate to say it, but I want MARS back. They left Reisterstown and closed their store at the Reisterstown Shopping Center. Guaranteed it was a small store. But they sure treated you much better than the employees at Giant who look and act as though they could care less about their job and even lesser about customer service.

Original review: June 17, 2017

Giant Foods Cherry Valley in Reisterstown MD - Produce was wilted, not fresh. Most common items were either out of stock or missing. Deli salad selection was low. Used to be a wonderful one stop shopping experience. No more.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I was shopping at the 6529 store in Enola. Front end manager is out of control. I asked the self check out associate a question and we spoke for about a minute. Then manager walks in from taking smoke break and told me I need to leave because I am distracting her associate from her job. I said, "Hello I am a customer and am asking your associate something." She proceeded to be very rude and told me if I was done I needed to leave and I hadn't started shopping. Manager's name is Rachelle. She is out of control and needs terminated. I will be contacting Giant corporate office to file a complaint. Terrible customer service.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Re: Mountain Road deli workers. There can be three of them behind the counter but you could be there a good ten minutes. They don't look you in the eye, they hate the fact that they have to ask you if you want to try something because, uhm, once again not looking you in the eye. If you tell them you don't want to try anything they get all snippy and say they are required to ask even though you tell them to stop. They gossip the entire time. They walk around like zombies.

Original review: March 30, 2017

Giant Foods #6331 Simpson Ferry Rd Mechanicsburg PA. That store needs to rethink the way they treat their paying customers. The behavior I've seen displayed toward minorities there is disgusting. Today I went in for a money transfer through their Western Union. I'm the only one in line, filled out the forms and waited for Christine to take me. As I was waiting a lady walked up behind me and Christine glanced at me first and then at the lady and decided to call her up. So obvious that the lady protested that the gentleman was waiting first and she should take care of me first. I attempted to take a step but Christine was quick to brush that comment aside saying, "He's gonna be there a while." The lady was shocked but Christine proceeded to forcefully help her. And after Christine just help her hands over the counter without a word to grab my paperwork. I complied quietly and then requested to see her supervisor to whom I complained.

She promised to have a talk with her and I hope she did. Everybody's time is valuable and you should be courteous, fair and respectful to every single customer. You can't skip a customer who choose your business to spend their money because you have some issues and prejudices. I hope they have that incident on camera and use it to better train their employees on good customer service.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I visited the Giant, Glen Burnie, Cromwell shopping center on 02/26/2017 to have a prescription filled at the pharmacy. Consequently, I left the store not only without my prescription being filled, also without being given my prescription back. The young lady's lack of empathy, willing to listen, and desire to assist is just a few characteristics of her service and character. The experience was humiliating and unfortunate. I feel it was a true representation of her lack of customer service, professional soft skills and business acumen. People make the brand of an organization. Good luck with that! A customer over of 20yrs; no more.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

One would think Scan-IT is designed as a shopper convenience. Instead, my card is regularly flagged when I use it. Either the equipment appears to malfunction and a manager is summoned OR the checker lets me know I'm being audited. Points: Never have they found even 1 item I neglected to personally scan; if the system generally encourages dishonest people to cheat them, why does Giant continue to use Scan-IT? Who would not be insulted about regularly being singled out to have what allegedly is a self-check convenience continuously audited for honesty? It slows down the lines and inconveniences everyone waiting for the Scan-IT customer to complete their purchase.

Who else has had this experience? Is Giant simply mismanaging their equipment or tone deaf to the fact that they are mistreating a very long-time customer? Note: People have opined to me that Scan-IT is first and foremost a way for Giant to keep their employee count down and only secondarily a customer convenience.

Resolution response: March 10, 2017

Corporate treated me fantastically well like a regular should. Thank You Spence!!! Even complimented a cashier that didn't even assist me. Thanks to Spence and taking care of the complaint I had. I WILL BE SHOPPING AGAIN at the Chemical Road location. No it's not always about getting something. Sometimes it's being treated like the regular shopper you have been for decades. No one likes getting treated like dirt or sub human level and recognition can go a long way.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

All must know was a regular and treated like nothing. So I have a Food Stamp card, am ** and still treated like nothing. 2 incidents horrible manager named NICOLE who doesn't care about customer service and fake as fake can be. Last month I went to back of store, grabbed container, and a meal. Nowhere does it say can't use Food Stamp card. The attitude from the cashier and the supervisor was disgusting. Went to customer service a few days after and asked the manager on duty. Supervisor great apologizes, explains can't use card in Montgomery County, gives me gift card. Manager apologizes fake at best. Wasn't happy clearly getting a gift card. 2nd time. I have a balance again. The cashier at time not happy huffing and puffing.

Supervisor comes by. Tells her she's giving me attitude. She sees this and hears this. This is important here. We go to next register. I can't find my Food Stamp card. I put in my pants every time. I find it in the cart but not before cashier rudely says I scan and give it back always. I am so pissed with her attitude and remark. I yell, "REALLY? WHY? IT'S IN MY CART... RIGHT?" I go back to supervisor say see. I turn this ** who treated me like ** is now smiling and whispering. I start yelling "You're rude. Stop smiling." She actually yelled back and the supervisor allowed it never telling her to stop. "I am the customer" which I yelled. Man symbolizes I'm crazy to the cashier. Well those two customers were never from the start only saw me yelling.

I still have balance and knew how much was on the card. Lovely manager... now re rings me at cus srvc. Still fine. Tell her she apologize fakely all fakely. Asked if I had this happen the month before. I said, "Different but yes." Here the items now. Do I wait for this... want to buy it 2-3 times. Says this, "NO I don't want to buy it." "Are you sure?" "Yes. Why do I want to buy it if I was using my Food Stamp card?" Also both times I had to ask her and prod from her if me how she would feel? She even said not happy. I said, "Well I'm not." I told her that the same 2 customers who saw me yelled would probably say something against me. HEADS UP. She asked me again if I wanted the item? NO. I call corporate. This is last WED. I demand regional calls me back.

I go to ShopRite the next day, smiles, looked up my number, told me my Food Stamp balance, treated me like GOLD. Friday no joke call from same FAKE manager Nicole. "Hi this is Nicole. I thought everything was fine when you left." (I'm thinking, "You woke me the up and are you kidding me?") I snapped, "NO everything wasn't fine and you knew this." "I asked if you wanted item? You said no." I said, "Because you asked me if I wanted to buy it." "Oh well I don't remember that." I SNAP, "OF COURSE NOT BECAUSE IT'S AGAINST ME." She said, "That's not true." I said, "Yes it is." She said, "Well the 2 customers with the cashier behind you pulled me aside." I snapped. "Of course they did. I told you they weren't there from the start and 2 told you they'd be pulling you aside." She said, "Well the supervisor even said cashier did nothing wrong." I snapped, "Of course not."

She said, "So I don't see a reason to issue you a gift card." I reply, "Shocker, not." She said, "So can I do anything else?" I said, "Oh no you've done more than enough." I said, "You know what you said you weren't there and still rely you spoke to the 2 guests. Told you I wanted the ice cream and left without it." She even says, "Well had you wanted the item I could have scanned it differently and given it to you." I basically yelled "You knew I wanted the item. Are you kidding me?" Notice didn't offer it to me now. She continues about the Food Stamp card and no way would the cashier have not scanned and given it back to me basically calling me a liar and flipped the damn script on the... you know. I said, "So accidents don't happen?" She said, "Sure they do." I snapped, "Good that's all I need to hear."

Nicole said, "Was there anything else I can do for you?" I said, "You know what? You have done nothing but apologize and I want you to know I don't buy it and I don't believe you. So for the future knowing I'm a regular you can apologize and mean it." Stunned, "Oh I'm sorry." I said, "And you know what? That's what I'm talking about. I work this business and I can tell sincerity and you're not." I call Corporate again and snap. Why have I not even heard from regional as promised and I get her? I really now both times and tell him I expect that if ever back in the store she sees me she keeps walking, she is no longer to ever talk to me again. Tell him I said to tell regional thanks for not calling me and passing the buck and that I got more respect at ShopRite than I did there in the last 2 months.

Don't go to Giant on Chemical Road. Don't talk to Nicole. Warning you she's beyond fake... Good luck with corporate. You'll get nice people. Never the regional since you don't matter. THAT STORE AND BEST BUY PHONELINES AND CORPORATE NEED TO BE OUT OF BUSINESS OR RESCHOOLED ON customer service and what customers mean.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I shop at the Bartonsville Giant here in PA. I drive past 2 other grocery stores to get there - so that should tell you a great deal. :) The people there are always awesome, the service is the best in the area and that particular store is worth the drive.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

Giant provides many selections of different brands, however, even though they promote sales of certain products, it has been my experience that as the sale products pricing goes down, other products pricing goes up to compensate. I've compared their prices to other stores and have found a great deal of higher pricing at Giant.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

The store is a rather small. This affects available selection. I have requested an item to be carried on at least 3 occasions. Never has my request been honored. Once, I even stated I would buy a case of the product (Luzianne decaf tea bags) and I never even received a phone call to inform me that they weren't going to get it for me.

Giant Foods Company Information