1.68/5
Based on 88 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

94 Food Lion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

After skimming various other reviews/complaints of people's negative experiences with the Food Lion grocery store chain, I feel somewhat vindicated in knowing that I am not alone in being treated with blatant, unwarranted disrespect by Food Lion employees. I recently visited my local Food Lion in Little River, South Carolina and will NEVER AGAIN give this location my business again! Nor will the members of my immediate family! My family and I have been giving Food Lion our business for YEARS. I recently gave birth to my first child and am now receiving WIC benefits, and when I attempted to use several of the food vouchers, I was faced with unnecessary RUDE attitude from more than one employee. The entire ordeal was embarrassing beyond words due to the actions and unprofessional behaviours of said employees!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Today October 27th 2018 I have never been so disrespect at a grocery store. I am a 65 years old ** woman. I went to the store for three items a pound of grapes, applesauce and picked up 2 pastries. I'm at the cash register store number 01590 Register 007 cashier ** ticket 0129 15:46. The cashier, Ann picks up the pastries and tries to look through the clear plastic and I said it's 2. She punches in 3 I said, "Aren't they to $4?" She said, "Yes but it looks like three." I repeated it's 2 then she started to fumble and called Andy to make the adjustment. She told Andy it looked like 3 like I was trying to get away with $.50. I have never been so disrespected over $0.50 a pastry you going to throw away at the end of the night anyway. To go back and forth with me over $0.50 come on Food Lion you're better than this. Train your employees to respect their elders no matter what color they are.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

In Fulton MD, a cashier took out stem tomatoes I was buying from a bag. There were two clusters, so she measured one cluster, then measured the other cluster while the first one was still on the scale. I told her she was doing it wrong, but she said that was the required way to measure STEM tomatoes. I had a second bag of STEM tomatoes and she did the same thing. I called for the manager. Neither was willing to talk to me, or to look at the monitor that showed the ever-increasing weight of the tomatoes. The manager did eventually re-weigh the tomatoes, but made me take out all $200 of my groceries to re-scan. It cost me 25 extra minutes and there were zero apologies from anyone from Food Lion.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I go to the Food Lion in Yorktown, VA several times a week. The manager and another lady is fantastic. Friendly and helpful to a degree. The problem is the deli department. There are 2 ladies back there and both are rude and at times just nasty. Honestly, I dread having to go to the deli. Quite honestly I have some serious health issues and am in a wheelchair and on oxygen, But my roommate has had issues with them as well. Quite often they will give you what you don't want. The ** lady will say "do you want this ** or not?"

Last night I went in and the ** lady was helping a man with a large order so I was waiting behind him to tell them what I wanted. After about 10 or 15 minutes the ** lady asked the ** lady to help me. She made a face and said "**" under her breath. But she came over and I asked her to let me have 1/4 lb of honey ham, about 8 or 9 slices of pepperoni. I also asked her to slice the ham thin. Most times the meat is sliced so thick it is almost impossible to make a sandwich with it. She gave me 1/2 lb of ham that was sliced so thick it looked like a ham steak.

She gave me pastrami not pepperoni. Tried to say I told her pastrami but the lady behind me heard me and said, "No. She said pepperoni." She threw all three packages into the basket. And said quite loud - "I can't understand a damn thing she says." Later in the store the other customer caught up to me and said, "It's a good thing it was you and not me. I would torn every hair out of her head." The kicker is the ham is bad. Tastes nasty and smells horrible. Haven't opened the other two yet.

The other problem is trying to navigate the aisles and shop in a wheelchair - there are displays blocking aisles and no way to get by. Sometimes I want an item and can't get it because I can't get to it. I honestly wish there was another store close by. Because I would not go to Food Lion if there was. Just the other day I had 5 six packs of Coke, 24 bottles of water and about 20 bags of groceries. No one offered to help me out. Thank God another customer saw me struggling and came over and put the heavy stuff in my car.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I first noticed an issue with the app not applying a coupon for Perrier on July 21, 2018. When I notified in person the customer service manager, she was like "It's not my app..." She was less than nice. August 12, I keyed in my phone number at register and spent almost $200 at store by, receipt was not logged into app nor where the "shop and earn" rewards applied for specific brands purchased. I contacted 1-800-210-9569 and provided my loyalty customer # but could not find receipt; agent was semi-helpful. Aug. 19, 2018 spent $140 but, retained receipt and called 1-800-210-9569; specific brands purchased did not load onto the "shop and earn" promotion as clearly outlined on Food Lion website and app. Rep was less than kind. Food Lion is guilty of false advertising with no apologies. I'm going to starting driving a few miles down the road to another retailer, who will get things right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Food Lion?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Couple of months ago, went to this store. Picked up a 4 pack of Virgil's Black Cherry Cream soda, a couple of russet potatoes, and some other items. Got home and decided to have one of the sodas. Discovered the bottle had been opened and half the soda drank. Disgusted, I started to peel the potatoes to cook, and found both of them to be green, which means they are old and cannot be eaten. Called the store and they agreed to replace the items. I really lost faith in the store, because its clientele are pretty much low class, a lot of their products are going to be broken into and eaten.

6 months go by, and I'm feeling like I'll give them another chance. Went into the store, carefully checking everything before I put it into my cart. Checked out, went home and putting groceries away, realized my bread and a magazine I had purchased was missing. Went back to the store with my receipt and explained the situation to the manager. She said she had to "research" it, and disappeared in the back. 15 minutes later, came out and basically ignored me until I confronted her. She stated she looked at the video and that the checkout clerk did put everything in the cart.

I told her that was not true, because the items never made it to the trunk of my car. She didn't care, in so many words told me, "Too bad." I said, "Yeah, too bad, you've lost a customer." DO NOT GO TO THE FOOD LION ON PETERS CREEK IN WINSTON-SALEM. They will rip you off and they DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. If you read other reviews about this store here, you will see the same thing from other former customers. Coincidence? Don't think so.

Original review: July 22, 2018

For the past few times of shopping at Food Lion in Milton, De I have noticed a strange consistency to pork chops. I notice that there is a slimy feel and almost translucent texture as well. When I try to fry the meat it seems too tender, but kind of plastic like. Not like Walmart or Save A Lot meats that look normal. I'm wondering where they get their pork from, what pigs because I've never ate anything like it. Pork is one meat you don't want to play with.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I wanted Pistachio Ice Cream and asked a Food Lion employee if they had it. I was told they do, and showed me where in the cabinet where it was. When I got home I discovered it had a stranger taste, and upon reading the ingredients, discovered there was no Pistachio in the product, but merely a combination of chemicals, none of which I recognized. I called Turkey Hills and was told that's if they way they make it.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I visit the deli often and every time I do I see there is this one young man named Cameron who is always getting mistreated horribly, I have even seen him cry on a few occasions. I have heard people that work back there call him stupid and many other names. I can see that they are having a bad day themselves so they tend to take it out on him. The workers back there are so very rude. It's insane but the store manager does not care he favors people and likes to hold things over people's head. I really truly believe whoever runs that store needs to go and that Deli needs a lot of changes and the people who are higher than all of them are not doing their jobs at all right now.

This worker Cameron works his butt off every time I see him and there have even been a few times when I have seen the manager Wanda and Nick beg him not to leave when he has threatened to quit because of the mistreatment and they both say this Deli would not be able to run without you. I am so upset that this is happening to such a young bright minded man He does not deserve to be treated like this. A FOOD LION MANAGEMENT SHOULD GET IN THERE AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT NOW!!! It's been going on for about a year and a half now. I really hope something gets done.

Original review: April 28, 2018

The Eastern Blvd store in Fayetteville NC is the worse of all the store I shop at. Someone is always touching my stuff. When I go to check on it, I see it has been move. I know when someone has gone inside of it, which occurs sometimes when I shop at this store. The last time the security guard place my property outside, I complaint to the manager and it is resolved. But it happens again and again.

Whenever I'm about to run out of food, I contemplate whether I should go to this store. It is the closest supermarket in the area. But now I'm set against ever going into this store. It been like this for at least 10 years! The other issue is the stocking, which occurs everytime I go into this store. You see aisle block by carts and boxes. I know the reason behind this. I've been documenting this since my targeting starting started.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I go into Food Lion quite often. I have not once been greeted or made to feel that my business is appreciated. I have had many associates look at me and walk away or turn and talk to each other. The store is very clean and very convenient for me to stop at everyday on my way home but I may have to choose another store to shop at as I do not feel welcome. The other customers have more interaction with me than the associates that work there.

Let me give you an example. Just the other day I went to purchase a few things at for dinner. There were two young woman standing opposite the aisle of the registers they were working on. They looked at me searching for a register to go to and turned and continued their conversation rather than to check me out. When I did get to a register with an associate he asked how I was and I didn't even have a chance to respond before he started talking to another young man standing close by. (Also an associate) Once I paid and was collecting my bags he proceeds to check out the person behind without letting me collect my bags. I guess that I was moving too slow for him because he started pushing my bags out of his way. Mind you I'm trying to go as fast as I can with a 5 year old trying to wander off and a baby in the cart. I believe more customer service training is needed.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I just left Food Lion and I was highly disgusted!!! As I walked into the store, an employee looked extra annoyed that he had to move while talking on the phone and leaning on a soda display. There were products to be stocked everywhere, to the point that I could barely maneuver my cart in the produce area. I'm sure he could have been more productive than leaning on sodas. He never acknowledged my presence, but managed to almost trip over my 4 year old to ask a ** lady if she needed help finding anything. She didn't look lost or confused to me. In fact, she looked puzzled as to why he ran over there when she wasn't showing any signs that she needed his help. Just a common racist living his common life I guess. Or just a general creep.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My wife and I ran out to grab a few things right before the Super Bowl at the local Food Lion, we were stalked by security and when checking out we were treated like criminals in a prison than like customers, surrounded by what was obviously security. This experience was very disturbing for my wife and I.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I love shopping there at Food Lion and I recommend everyone to go there because of the lower prices. The meats and the deli and the produce is very fresh and delish. However, I want them to lower prices for now on.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Clerks are very friendly and the staff is eager to help you find any products you are searching for. I really like the way workers do not just tell you where the products are; they do not hesitate to actually escort you to the place where the products are in the store. I usually visit a Food Lion Store once or twice every week to purchase vegetables, meats, specials, water and any other products I may need.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

The employees at Food Lion always make me feel at home. Everyone goes out of his or her way to ensure I get good service. Returns are handled without question, there is always someone available to help me find non-standard items. Prices are generally the lowest in the Boone area, produce is fresh, and there are always enticing weekly specials.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Terrible store, women's bathroom looks disgusting, most cashiers are indifferent, and the selection of products is poor. A result, I suppose, of it being the only store in a small town.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Food Lion stores are clean, safe, consistent, up to date and reliable. They have almost everything you are looking for from a slightly upscale grocery store: some organics, fresh produce, a wide variety of processed and non processed and some local fresh produce. They have guarantee on purchases and attentive polite staff and they’re open to product sales suggestions.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Food Lion stores are usually easy to shop and I like the convenience of shopping at their South Congaree store. Most prices are reasonable and merchandise is readily available. Produce is usually fresh and nicely displayed. Employees are usually nice and willing to help you find what you are looking for. Some of the Cashiers have been there for a while and are super nice and very friendly.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I prefer to shop at a grocery store as opposed to a supercenter, one-stop shop. I like the convenience in location, the customer friendly store layout, and the savings obtained with their MVP card. Their circulars make it easy to plan meals, and create a shopping list accordingly.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Food Lion has truly stepped their game up, because 3 years ago I had decided to start shopping elsewhere, because of the lack of fresh, some organic whole foods, and lack of variety of great quality brand named foods. This is my main shopping place, but I also love Whole Foods as well when I want to shop for more organic brands.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

They do not have selection of meats... even when advertised for the week. They have poor quality produce and out of date products. I have had to return items. I call to ask meat employees if they have a certain on-sale/or not and they will not answer the phone. Have to call back several times then call customer service... Poorly run store.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I appreciate the use of the carts. I would not be able to shop without the use of these carts. Food Lion on Faith Rd in Salisbury, NC has TWO of them and BOTH have flat spots on the wheels. I have asked to have them fixed. I will have to fill out a work order to have them fixed. Even told the manager to get the wheels and I would be glad to replace them. After month of asking, I decided to contact you. Other than this, I have no complaint. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I was food poisoned at Food Lion in Winston Salem, NC in University plaza! Bloody chicken nuggets half cooked by the deli manager Amy whom basic didn't care and was very rude to me. Left the paper from emergency room and all my information and not once have the big bosses contacted me so I will be contacting attorney 1st thing in A. M! Thrower up blood and raw chicken several times, had to miss school and work.

Original review: April 20, 2017

Food Lion Company on Bragg Blvd. Fayetteville, N.C. This particular store is not our go to store. Our go to store is 151 Westwood Shopping Center, Fayetteville, N.C. 28302. Bragg Blvd. is a store that we patronize in case we are in a hurry and don't want to pass our home to go to our favorite store. Anyhow, my wife was shopping and spotted a homeless man and decided to buy something for him to eat right away, and for later. The cashier and the manager surrounded her as if to accuse her of wrongdoing. When they realized what she was doing, they vehemently apologized over and over again. This is the last straw for this damn store.

The few times I have been in the store the looks I get from the employees would kill. One other time, I was clearly having a hard time finding a product and the manager watched me search for this product right in front of her, and didn't ask me if I needed help. The energy in this store needs to change. Sounds like some sensitivity training needs to come about here.

Original review: April 5, 2017

The Food Lion brand milk has consistently had a bad taste. Not soured or spoiled, but more like industrial chemicals. Perhaps a cleaning solution? I've decided to never buy Food Lion milk again and now exclusively shop at Lowe's Foods because of this or Walmart or anywhere else besides Food Lion.

Original review: April 3, 2017

At the Food Lion in Leonardtown MD. The female check out clerks almost always overload the bags! They then refuse to double bag. I had several bags bust open in the parking lot as I was transferring from the cart to my car. Once I started asking them to double bag they would hand me the overloaded bag and an empty bag so that I could double bag myself. I wrote to the corporate office about the problem but nothing has improved. I have asked twice now who the store manager is but both times I was told "He's not here." Afraid that I'm going to need to get nasty...:(

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

Be very, very cautious when buying any single item over $10. I'm a smoker and sometimes buy cigarettes there. They have this scam where the checker puts your cigarettes near the register but not in your bags. Then, after paying, they hand you a receipt but never the cigarettes unless you TELL them to. If you're not paying attention, you're out of luck. They have pulled this on me on four separate occasions and once while purchasing a $14 dollar cut of steak... Which somehow wound up in a separate bag but never on the counter for me to pick up. Just lucky, I checked my purchases that day and asked the checker where it was... It magically appeared. CHECK EVERYTHING IF YOU SHOP THERE.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

On December 24, 2016 I purchased some milk and ice cream. Open the milk there was a top in the milk and just opened ice cream and took two scoops. Granddaughter bites some piece of plastic cap in ice cream. The reason for the review is do they have a recall on these items I'm not aware of cause this is unacceptable my grandbaby almost swallowed this particle.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

We moved to Virginia from Texas and the thing we are missing the most is the supermarket. This is warm vs cool. Supermarkets in Texas are very welcoming and even the food is so inviting to your view and people are really friendly vs here where people are too reserved. The varieties of food national and international is so broad in TX supermarkets specially at HEB and whole foods, sprouts. But to be fair we were living in Austin area which is a food mecca. We appreciate good foods and friendly people. It makes the right ambiance and the price is not expensive if you get the right feeling.

Food Lion Company Information