1.77/5
  • 1 star
Based on 75 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 7, 2017

81 Food Lion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I love shopping there at Food Lion and I recommend everyone to go there because of the lower prices. The meats and the deli and the produce is very fresh and delish. However, I want them to lower prices for now on.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Clerks are very friendly and the staff is eager to help you find any products you are searching for. I really like the way workers do not just tell you where the products are; they do not hesitate to actually escort you to the place where the products are in the store. I usually visit a Food Lion Store once or twice every week to purchase vegetables, meats, specials, water and any other products I may need.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

The employees at Food Lion always make me feel at home. Everyone goes out of his or her way to ensure I get good service. Returns are handled without question, there is always someone available to help me find non-standard items. Prices are generally the lowest in the Boone area, produce is fresh, and there are always enticing weekly specials.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Terrible store, women's bathroom looks disgusting, most cashiers are indifferent, and the selection of products is poor. A result, I suppose, of it being the only store in a small town.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Food Lion stores are clean, safe, consistent, up to date and reliable. They have almost everything you are looking for from a slightly upscale grocery store: some organics, fresh produce, a wide variety of processed and non processed and some local fresh produce. They have guarantee on purchases and attentive polite staff and they’re open to product sales suggestions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Food Lion?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Food Lion stores are usually easy to shop and I like the convenience of shopping at their South Congaree store. Most prices are reasonable and merchandise is readily available. Produce is usually fresh and nicely displayed. Employees are usually nice and willing to help you find what you are looking for. Some of the Cashiers have been there for a while and are super nice and very friendly.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I prefer to shop at a grocery store as opposed to a supercenter, one-stop shop. I like the convenience in location, the customer friendly store layout, and the savings obtained with their MVP card. Their circulars make it easy to plan meals, and create a shopping list accordingly.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Food Lion has truly stepped their game up, because 3 years ago I had decided to start shopping elsewhere, because of the lack of fresh, some organic whole foods, and lack of variety of great quality brand named foods. This is my main shopping place, but I also love Whole Foods as well when I want to shop for more organic brands.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

They do not have selection of meats... even when advertised for the week. They have poor quality produce and out of date products. I have had to return items. I call to ask meat employees if they have a certain on-sale/or not and they will not answer the phone. Have to call back several times then call customer service... Poorly run store.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I appreciate the use of the carts. I would not be able to shop without the use of these carts. Food Lion on Faith Rd in Salisbury, NC has TWO of them and BOTH have flat spots on the wheels. I have asked to have them fixed. I will have to fill out a work order to have them fixed. Even told the manager to get the wheels and I would be glad to replace them. After month of asking, I decided to contact you. Other than this, I have no complaint. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I was food poisoned at Food Lion in Winston Salem, NC in University plaza! Bloody chicken nuggets half cooked by the deli manager Amy whom basic didn't care and was very rude to me. Left the paper from emergency room and all my information and not once have the big bosses contacted me so I will be contacting attorney 1st thing in A. M! Thrower up blood and raw chicken several times, had to miss school and work.

Original review: April 20, 2017

Food Lion Company on Bragg Blvd. Fayetteville, N.C. This particular store is not our go to store. Our go to store is 151 Westwood Shopping Center, Fayetteville, N.C. 28302. Bragg Blvd. is a store that we patronize in case we are in a hurry and don't want to pass our home to go to our favorite store. Anyhow, my wife was shopping and spotted a homeless man and decided to buy something for him to eat right away, and for later. The cashier and the manager surrounded her as if to accuse her of wrongdoing. When they realized what she was doing, they vehemently apologized over and over again. This is the last straw for this damn store.

The few times I have been in the store the looks I get from the employees would kill. One other time, I was clearly having a hard time finding a product and the manager watched me search for this product right in front of her, and didn't ask me if I needed help. The energy in this store needs to change. Sounds like some sensitivity training needs to come about here.

Original review: April 5, 2017

The Food Lion brand milk has consistently had a bad taste. Not soured or spoiled, but more like industrial chemicals. Perhaps a cleaning solution? I've decided to never buy Food Lion milk again and now exclusively shop at Lowe's Foods because of this or Walmart or anywhere else besides Food Lion.

Original review: April 3, 2017

At the Food Lion in Leonardtown MD. The female check out clerks almost always overload the bags! They then refuse to double bag. I had several bags bust open in the parking lot as I was transferring from the cart to my car. Once I started asking them to double bag they would hand me the overloaded bag and an empty bag so that I could double bag myself. I wrote to the corporate office about the problem but nothing has improved. I have asked twice now who the store manager is but both times I was told "He's not here." Afraid that I'm going to need to get nasty...:(

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

Be very, very cautious when buying any single item over $10. I'm a smoker and sometimes buy cigarettes there. They have this scam where the checker puts your cigarettes near the register but not in your bags. Then, after paying, they hand you a receipt but never the cigarettes unless you TELL them to. If you're not paying attention, you're out of luck. They have pulled this on me on four separate occasions and once while purchasing a $14 dollar cut of steak... Which somehow wound up in a separate bag but never on the counter for me to pick up. Just lucky, I checked my purchases that day and asked the checker where it was... It magically appeared. CHECK EVERYTHING IF YOU SHOP THERE.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

On December 24, 2016 I purchased some milk and ice cream. Open the milk there was a top in the milk and just opened ice cream and took two scoops. Granddaughter bites some piece of plastic cap in ice cream. The reason for the review is do they have a recall on these items? I'm not aware of cause. This is unacceptable. My grandbaby almost swallowed this particle.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

We moved to Virginia from Texas and the thing we are missing the most is the supermarket. This is warm vs cool. Supermarkets in Texas are very welcoming and even the food is so inviting to your view and people are really friendly vs here where people are too reserved. The varieties of food national and international is so broad in TX supermarkets specially at HEB and whole foods, sprouts. But to be fair we were living in Austin area which is a food mecca. We appreciate good foods and friendly people. It makes the right ambiance and the price is not expensive if you get the right feeling.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

I stopped by Food Lion in Delmar, Delaware today to pick up some groceries. As I was second in line with a woman with a whole cart full of food and hadn't put my groceries up yet. I had maybe 10 and already waited 10 minutes.The manager told everyone behind me (4 people) to go to the register they just opened. She looked right at me and kept working. Terrible management and trust me if the food is not on sale they are so expensive. IF YOU CAN PLEASE STICK TO WAL-MART! DIDN'T TREAT ME LIKE A LOYAL CUSTOMER.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

Food Lion in Advance, NC - They sold my husband 3 totally ROTTEN CHICKENS!!! My husband does not have a very good "nose" for smells. I sent him to the store to pick up something and he comes back with these chickens that were on sale. When he sat them on the counter, I immediately smelled that HORRIBLE smell. Death could not smell worse than that. It was sickening. I immediately had to get in my car with those horrible rotten chickens and take them back up there. They did give me my money back, but they should've doubled my money back like Harris Teeter does. Do you know I wrote to them twice and NOT ONE TIME HAVE THEY CALLED OR WRITTEN TO APOLOGIZE. They must not care. They should be ashamed for selling something like that.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

I just bought a cut of meat and I cook it like I've done before but this time I notice it made and my family sick. I know that that is something different they are doing to their meats... look fresh but taste very bad... I want my hard earn money back now!

Original review: March 11, 2016

I was going around the Food Lion several months ago to help a couple with the homeless cat feed as there is a large population of homeless kitties they feed. Well on with complaint. While going around building I noticed that employees were cutting open each package of near expired food and dumping it into the dumpster. Each item still good mind you. I looked at what had fallen. I picked up for them and also asked if it's bad when the do it or just past sales date... They informed me that each item is just before sale date or day of. I asked the employees about why they were doing it they informed me that it is policy. I asked why the store would not donate it or contract it as food bank donation they said they were not allowed to talk about it.

I had hoped it was just the Food Lion on Piney Green in Jacksonville NC but as I went around to different Food Lions I found it is all the ones in Jacksonville. I cannot speak for anywhere else other than Jacksonville NC. Double whammy the Food Lion on Piney Green in Jacksonville NC. Also pay employees ten bucks to report any homeless person who tries to eat any food in the dumpster.

Original review: March 3, 2016

I was treated rudely and wrongly by a cashier name Sunny at the Food Lion in Mercersburg, PA (even the customers around me couldn't believe her actions), so I went to the manager on duty Curtis who obviously encourages Sunny to be rude and ignorant to some customers I guess.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2016

When a big snow is coming there is not enough cashiers. Today is Super Bowl day. There are 4 cashiers in store. People are lined up down the aisles. That is ridiculous. Super Bowl starts at a given time. With the wage amount that is paid, why is there not 2 extra cashiers for at least 4 hours before game time?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

When I just found out, I was concerned. I guess that's why it's gone downhill. I guess I will start shopping somewhere else.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

Food Lion has recently redesigned the company logged gal size water bottles. They are taller and skinnier than the old bottles. The new bottles may be designed as they are to allow for more bottles on the same square footage of shelf space. Good for them, bad for us. The consumer finds that the former fixed handle is now a more flexible handle that separates from the bottle easily. I have witnessed several separating in the store and the parking lot. This, for me is unsatisfactory. Further, the bottles are still wide enough to require two hands to use. Spills! From target slip. So far, no fix! FIX IT!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

On 11/5/15, I purchased a package of the pre-made cold BBQ ribs at the deli section at a Fuquay Varina, NC location. When my family finally sat down to eat that night after a long day, we were happy about the delicious looking ribs. When I took a bite, to my horror I found a strange looking elasticity tube in my mouth. After spitting it out I realized it was some kind of artery from the animal. I was so disgusted that I picked up my plate and threw it away! The rest of the family experienced the same thing and were all horrified. I understand that it comes from animals but in my 40 years, I have never had something that gross. I ended up throwing up from thinking about it and we had to throw away $10 worth of ribs! Even right now thinking about it is turning my stomach. I've never been so disappointed in an item from your store.

Original review: July 30, 2015

We are on vacation. Went to the Food Lion to get groceries and we got charged for 25 dollars worth of items that we did not purchase. They gave us our money back. And the next day we went back and the same thing happened -- only for 9 dollars this time. I wonder how many people get ripped off everyday from this place. This one is in Emerald Isle, North Carolina.

Original review: July 20, 2015

I hope this message is going to Corporate because the poor folks at my store can't do anything to help. The store is ongoing an extensive renovation. My complaint is about the new cold room for fruits and vegetables. It is too cold. Twice I have attempted to enter to select some fruits and vegetables. I have been forced to leave without getting anything. It is just too cold. I cannot stay in there long enough to select what I want. I mentioned this to one of the workers. He was very kind and said he would go in and get it for me. I thanked him but said I prefer to choose my own. The store was very busy and I could not help but notice no one was getting fruit or vegetables. The room was completely empty.

I am extremely disappointed because I have been shopping there for 12 years and NEVER had any problem finding fresh fruit and vegetables with the old system. In fact, I have sent friends there just for the fruit because it was always better than the local Kroger's or Harris Teeter, neither of which require a ski parka to shop there. What you did makes no sense and I am very sad about it. I used to walk right by the produce. Now it is stuck in the corner in a room that is impossible to shop in. What were you thinking??? Major blunder. A former Food Lion Faithful Shopper.

Original review: July 18, 2015

Went to Food Lion on Wesleyan Dr in Virginia beach. Table was set up outside entrance soliciting funds "for the children". I politely refused and was yelled at by the solicitors. I was told by store manager to leave if I didn't like that store. Two cashiers walked over to me in a menacing manner, one calling me a "** cracker".

Original review: July 10, 2015

I had left my purse in a shopping cart. A man brought it to the office. It was placed in the safe. A lady asked about it and they gave it to her without checking ID. The store manager was helpful in reporting it to the police. The young man responsible was very upset. I had hoped Food Lion would cover the money and for my cost to replace my phone and driver's license. The manager did give me a gift card for $50. Are they responsible?

Food Lion Company Information