Acme Markets

Avondale, PA

Compare Supermarkets

Research top Supermarkets recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have had several bad experiences with deli meats that spoiled within 2-3 days and bad produce from the Acme on High Ridge Road, but this was the last straw. I bought a rotisserie chicken yesterday and invited my husband to eat some for lunch the day after I bought it. Turns out I almost poisoned the poor guy because after the third bite he figured that the strange ammonia flavor just was not right. He Googled it and to his horror he confirmed that he had just swallowed a few bites of spoiled chicken. I will never set foot in that store again. Acme Chairman of the Board hear this: Please send your CEO to business school for some basic management training. You are missing the boat and your operation needs a lot of work or you will be out of business soon. Good luck with that. I will stick to Whole Foods.

We will not shop in your store again. No one loads your shopping cart. When one cart is at the end of a checkout counter, another cart cannot possibly pass. You do not have many standard items such as carrs crackers, port wine cheese balls, black rice, ziploc sandwich bags, etc. Your produce is horrible, rotten and old. I'm surprised people don't get sick from purchasing food from your store. It's worse than a third world country food and I've visited them. It took 2 checkout girls 3 times even after writing down my telephone number to look up my mixx card. Please hire americans who speak english!!! I showed my app to the girls many times but they just giggled, and I could not get my mixx number from the app.

I was shopping for nail polish & I reached into my purse and a tall ** male comes over grabs my purse and he accuses me of stealing. He yanked my purse out of my hands and dumps all my personal items out and he humiliates me in front of everyone. I picked up my belongings and left. He followed me out of the store all the way to the next store which I'm sure he's not allowed to do. I came back and told someone what happened and they couldn't get me a manager. So later on that day he called and told me I wasn't allowed back in the store and I said to him, "Good. If your employees are going to attack people I gladly wouldn't step back into your store." Now I pretty sure if I was stealing they would have called the cops instead of someone attacking me.

I just returned from a pitiful Acme Paoli shopping experience that I would equate similar to a prior Wal-Mart experience. The problem is a repetitive issue with the store and hopefully someone within Acme will recognize the complaint and take action. I was attempting to purchase a product that was offered as a two for $5 bargain, however the register was not aligned with the price tag and the cost was the normal price without any savings. The tag was clearly placed below a full stack of the product.

After having someone verify and check the price and the tagging, I decided to return to the shelf and see if the product remained above the erroneous tag. Sure enough the whole stack remained above the price tag. I proceeded to verify if the bargain product was even offered for sale. I checked each product of the brand with the tags code and it did not exist on the shelf. I did not ask to speak to a manager to request the reasoning. I will say that Wal-Mart would have given me the products for the price that they were displayed and priced. I left without purchasing the product.

This store has compromised my personal information, which I have received personal calls at my house harassing me. I am a disabled veteran with severe PTSD. I have tried now 4 times in getting help from managers, district managers, and higher ups, with no results. They have not showed any professional, courteous, resolution, nor looked into how within a store my personal information, name, address, and phone number was compromised. The people that are in the Denville, NJ store are nothing short of nasty, unprofessional staff, which stemmed when it was dingy A&P. The store got cleaned up, money put into it. The staff stayed the same, and this is where it has failed. Since there are numerous other stores in the area, I will never step foot into this store again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acme?

I have tried hard to allow this store to get settled in. I wasn't a fan of the A&P and hoped we would get a better store. Today I went and picked up a few groceries. Stopped at customer service to buy a few powerball tickets. No one came for 7 minutes. Saw a guy in desserts and I said, "Anyone here?" He turned around and walked away. Finally a young woman came and I said, "Is there anyone here who can help me?" She said that was why she was here. I said, "Great. I need some pb tickets." She said, "Oh I can't do that." I asked if there was anyone who could help and she said, "No." I put back my groceries and headed out the door. Not about PB tickets, it's about customer service. There is absolutely no one there that is helpful. Very unfortunate. Will shop at Scott's Corners from now on. It's worth the drive.

Several times I went into the Acme Supermarket on High Ridge Road in Stamford, CT and found outdated food on the shelves that they were trying to sell. Two weeks ago it was containers of macaroni salad with a very outdated Sell By date. Today it was cream cheese that was dated Sell By Feb. 14. Today is Feb. 20. I placed it up on the Customer Service counter and told the lady staffing the counter that the cream cheese was outdated. The lines at the register are so long they look like the bread lines at a refugee camp.

Today, on a busy Saturday there were only two registers open and the manager said she didn't have anyone to staff another register. Last Saturday it was the same, with very, very long lines. Some employees have told me that management has cut the hours of the workers so they don't have enough people. Today as well as last Saturday there was only one employee working the deli counter. The employees seem to be working very hard with the few staff that are working at any one given time.

In a rush, I recently purchased a package of garlic that was stocked in the organic food section of our local Acme Market. When I got home I realized that it was not organic and, to make matters worse, was sourced from China. In addition, the entire offering of fresh vegetables and fruit is sub-par.

On Christmas eve they had one young woman working by herself. The bakery section was mobbed. Customers were waiting in line to get their cakes decorated with names printed on them. There is not a variety of cake goods like you have in other Acme Stores. Customers were going to ShopRite farther up the Roosevelt Blvd to purchase their bakery needs. I find it hard to believe that the revenue from that bakery can compare to other Acme Bakery. It seems like your manager Karen throws the bakery goods out instead of reducing them to generate revenue for the store. I am sure you can do an inventory. Why is so many bakery employees quitting? Paying your employees $7.25 an hour is not as bad as how much work you expect out of them.

On October 11, 2015 at around 7:30 p.m. I walked over to the deli counter to purchase some deli products. Initially there was no one behind the counter and I had to wait approximately 5 minutes for someone to come out from behind. Finally a young girl came out, but she was rather busy cleaning a slicing machine and I do not believe she had any desire to wait on me. After waiting almost another 5 minutes for her to wait on me, she approached with an attitude and I had not yet even said anything to her. My daughter is gluten free and I know that other Acme stores have their GL deli items in a separate case. I asked her what turkey items were gluten free and in a rude manner stated, "We don't have anything like that." I know that is not true and when I pushed for her to try to find out, she just kept saying they have "low fat and low salt" but no "gluten free". She seemed oblivious to what I was talking about.

My daughter then looked at some of the labels and we did find a turkey meat that was GF. I told the girl what I wanted and she looked in the case for what seemed like a fairly long time. She could not find the product and proceeded to go to the back to find it. After another 5 minutes she emerged with no product and had to come to the front of the deli case to get the one out the case. All the while her attitude was becoming worse and she was banging things. I asked that she cut the turkey thin and as I was watching her cut the turkey I could see that it was not as I requested. I then asked her to stop cutting and to simply give me what she had already cut and that I was not interested in getting anything else as I did not feel she was acting appropriately toward me.

At this time, she practically slammed the turkey down on the scale and was becoming even more rude towards me. It was at this point that I simply said "Forget it I don't want anything from you" and asked to see a manager. A so called manager came out or at least identified herself as such and explained that this girl was rather new at the job. Since when does being new on the job excuse someone's behavior towards a customer. The manager indicated that she would speak to this employee about her rude behavior. In an attempt to get to the bottom of this and to make sure that this person was reported, I went on Acme's website and sent an email explaining what had happened. It has now been 5 days and I have yet to receive any response from them despite the fact that I have now sent them 3 emails. If this is the way Acme chooses to do business by ignoring a disgruntled customer, maybe it's time for me to start shopping elsewhere.

At the check counters, the 2 regular lines where 3 or 4 people deep. There was nobody in line at the 2 express lines. I had 17 items if you counted the 6 cat food cans separately. So I thought the cashier would allow me to use her express line. But I was wrong. I mentioned that the regular lines were backed up, but the cashier just repeated, "15 items only." I moved down to last line for regular shopping orders. Now 4th in line. The manager, seeing the back-up at the regular lines, comes over and move 2 shoppers (with their carts full) into the express line.

Every Monday I go into the Newtown Square or Broomall Stores. At one time the chicken was freshly roasted. Now when I go in what's in the case has been sitting way too long. The skin is hard and the chicken is very dry. They apparently make too much at one time and do not make anymore until what is in the case is well past selling time. When you go in the store at 5 or 5:30 the chicken should be ready. Apparently there are new managers, not doing a good job. I have seen roast chickens sitting on the hot table with a time stamp of 12:30pm at 5:30pm. They looked disgusting. I now go to Kentucky Fried or Popeyes chicken and get freshly cooked chicken, cost a little more, but better than the dried stuff in the cases.

Just finished a shopping trip to Acme and was so frustrated with the EXCESSIVE isle displays. It was like a gigantic obstacle course for customers and it was not even that busy. I took a picture of an over 5 foot tall display of canned product that wobbled when I touched it. If I could post the picture here I would but the option doesn't exist. The danger posed to small people and children was irresponsible on the stores' part. I'm not sure how this type of store setup even passes fire code...it was that bad. Very unpleasant shopping experience!

I was at the Acme in Browns Mills NJ on 10/26/14 at approximately 7:15pm. I was crossing in the crosswalk and was almost hit by a car because of Acme's poorly lit parking lot. When I mentioned by incident to the manager her excuse was that the lights are on a timer. Every other light in the parking lot was on except Acme's side. Acme is very lucky I did not have my 7 week old son with me when I was almost hit by a car in their parking lot because I probably would have called the police. That is very dangerous and unsafe for the customers who shop at Acme at night.

Today I shopped (well, tried to shop) at Jenkintown, 323 Old York Road, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania 19046 for the first time in over 3 years. This will be my last time shopping at Acme. I went to self checkout at 10:30pm. There was a manager, skinny, around 40 years old, black, can't remember if really short hair or bald.

I went today to the supermarket to buy Kellogg's cereal. I tried to use some coupons I got from the Kellogg's website. Each coupon is worth $0.75 on "Any Kellogg's Cereal". I scanned the products and when I pushed 'Pay with Coupons', a message said that the action requires some kind of permission. The man there, I believe the manager, took my coupons and without scanning them and without reading them, told me I could not use them because the products I bought are not in the picture in the coupon (Yes, I know, I have bought with coupons for many years and this was the first time I was told that. I had always wondered when it would happen because I had heard about it). I told him "it's what it says in the coupon, not the picture it has."

He gave an angry look and told me I could not use it because the product is not in the picture. I said again "But the coupon reads 'On Any Kellogg's cereal'". He again said that the product is not in the picture "Look", he pointed at the picture. I am the kind of person who doesn't like to argue with people. So I just told him to remove the items because I am not going to buy them. He gave me an angry get-lost look. I suppose they don't like to remove items. I took my coupons to a lady in the counter, asked "Do you know about coupons?". She said 'Yes'. I asked, "Can I use this coupons on these products?". She read it and told me "absolutely".

She scanned the products and right after she scanned the first one successfully, her phone rang. She picked it up, I waited... And she told me that her manager just called her to tell her that the coupons could not be used. She looked at me very serious and told me 'You cannot use the coupons because the products are not in the picture'. I said, but the coupons say "On any Kellogg's.." She cut me off in mid sentence saying 'bye' and turned her back to me. "WOW", I thought and smiled. Employees here are very rude.

I have never in my life felt more disrespected and treated like a criminal than today at this Acme store. It was my first time shopping at Acme in more than 3 years and it will be the last. You should train your employees or at least hire employees who can read and treat people respectfully. Right before I got out, I flipped the finger to where the manager was, I hope he saw me. Now I flip the middle finger to you, Acme.

This evening I bought 1 lb. of Leona bologna, which is going back tomorrow...tastes like pure fat. We have always liked this particular bologna because it has more taste than regular. I also bought 2 pkgs. fresh strawberries. Just finished cleaning them, and had to cut away way too much! Also, I wanted to buy some green and red peppers. The quality was so poor, I couldn't find even one that was great. What happened?! Acme used to be the place to get good meat, and good produce. Now the prices are so exuberant, and the quality is terrible. Last month, I splurged on a small English roast ($15). After baking it for 4 hrs, it was still very chewy. I am known for making good tender roasts, and I used to tell people ,"you have to buy them at Acme". There have been several times I looked over my receipt and would find out I didn't get the sale price. We are seniors, and we have to stretch our dollars, but there are certain things I will only buy at Acme, but I am rethinking that now. I know this won't be a popular review, but it IS true.

Purchased 6 plastic paisley, the big ones. They were so pretty, they were for mother's Day gifts. Took care of them and within 22 weeks, everyone's died. Always shop at acme. Your flowers are nice. But for the cost I paid 12.99% & 8% tax times six times it wasn't worth it. I would like a gift card to replace what I had to lose so I can replaced the flower to my mom & friends. Thank you.

Just finished ring up my items and just when I was ready to sign as I was using my debit card, the system froze. The cashier needed to get a supervisor to assist. He looked around and did not see her. He did not call for assistance; he waited till she returned at the customer service desk. She did not address me at any time, just pushed many buttons then said to the cashier to call Kenny. All this time there was another customer behind me waiting to be checked out. After another several minutes, Kenny shows up. He again did not say "hi, I am Kenny" or anything. After several minutes someone did come by to let the customer know there were issues and need to move her to another register with items. Kenny to reboot the system stated this would take 3 to 5 minutes.

It was over 20 minutes and still nothing. He finally stated that he would run the credit card transaction there. I asked to be assured that my first transaction would not be charged on my card. I was told it would not as he canceled the transaction. He did not recall the exact amount so he rounded it to the nearest dollar and charged my card. The story did not end here. The following morning, I checked my account to make sure I was not charged twice. I was! I called Acme and spoke with Kenny, the same person who finished my transaction. He stated that he did what he was supposed to and that he could not further help me out. I would have to go to my bank and correct it if it was charged twice! Yes, I had to make a trip to my bank to file this dispute and await days for a refund. The actually rounding of the amount was $1.49 higher than the original receipt.

The Acme in Yardville's staff is perhaps the most unfriendly and uncaring staff I have seen. Along with that is constant long lines. My daughter and I only go now on occasion because it is very close to us but today, we were convinced to never go there again. The cashier was doing a terrible job bagging and so my daughter said she could help (since she also had three more people in line behind her). She said no; she could do it. Apparently not, one the bags ripped and food spilled out and was broken. We feel we have given the store enough chances and we are done.

I was in your Voorhees, NJ store and I was being watched/followed in the store. When I went to checkout, the manager or someone called the cashier and said something about me. (I heard them mention the next person in line, me, and the cashier shot me an evil look.) Then when she was ringing me up (with an attitude), the manager stood over her watching my whole transaction. I only had 8 items. I also had coupons. I made a mistake with some of my coupons. They didn't match the product that I had like. I said my mistake and I did apologize, but the manager and cashier tried to make me feel stupid and horrible about it! I've shopped at your store for many years. I've never had a bad experience until today.

The prices at Acme Markets is starting to get way out of hand, as I am a smart shopper who goes place to place to find the best prices. Acme always comes in last, except for the occasional sale on a few items. I also had to file a complaint last year on the deli department. They fixed that problem, but new ones have arisen. Food/meat not always fresh and they don't always remove the first sliver as they should.

On the first day of the sale at 9 a.m., I rang the bell at the meat department in the Newtown Square store and asked the butcher who answered it to please pick me out a nice whole tenderloin about 6 or 7 pounds. He replied that they didn't have any, only small butt ends and to try again in a couple of days.Two days later, I returned and a different butcher said they didn't have any, only the butt ends, to try again in a few days. Last Saturday, I decided to try again.This time the butcher said they only had the butt ends but I could probably buy one in the Paoli store. He then said, "I will order one if you can come back Monday; it will be here. Before you come call 610 353 8018, ask for the meat room and ask for Joe."

I did this half an hour ago. Joe advised me that he knew nothing about it and that he had plenty of whole tenderloins at Easter. So this is my last resort. It is very difficult for me to get to the store to begin with as my wife has Alzheimer's and type 2 diabetes and macular degeneration and I have to either get someone to stay with her or lift her in and out of the car and I am 78 years old. This Joe said to try again on Thursday, but I have come to the conclusion that no one in that department cares. I don't think I will try again. Just wanted you to know how uncaring these people are as I read in the paper as how your sales are slipping. Anyway I tried as best I could. Thank you for your attention.

I, Ramona **, was in Acme supermarket around 6:00 p.m. on the 23rd of December to cash my check and to do some shopping. I was standing in line at the courtesy counter with my three-year old grandson when the manager Chuck ** started walking between me and two young girls that was in line behind me. Chuck ** did this about 3 or 4 times, and I'm thinking why is he taking this route when there was obviously another way he could have gone. I had turned back to my grandson as he (my grandson) was touching the decorations.

I was removing his hands and I looked behind me and this person (Chuck **) was touching his private and had his hand as if he was about to touch my backside. Before I could react Chuck ** walked away and went to a far register and began to bag groceries. I asked the cashier that waited on me for his name. There were two young girls standing behind me and three other ladies behind them that witnessed this very degrading and humiliating experience that I encountered that night; not only that, the store was full of customers and from the looks on a lot of their faces they also witnessed what this man was doing behind my back.

When I went to approach Chuck ** on this matter he stopped bagging and walked away really fast toward the back. I called the 1-877-932-7948 number and spoke with a person by the name of George who said someone would contact me within 24 hours. It's been less than 12 hours, but I was so upset that this man would so boldly in front of 30 or more people humiliate me like that. I felt a need to do more. I don't know him and he don't know me. As often as I have been in that particular store, I had never seen this person until that night. I've never until this night had any problems with any of the Acme stores that I have frequented. The two young girls that were behind me left the store and one of the women that were behind them quickly exited also. I was so shocked that he would have the audacity to do this! Because it has been less than 12 hours, I have not as of yet heard anything from anyone concerning this matter. I am anxiously waiting for someone to contact!

I have frequented the Acme store located in Avondale, PA over the past couple years since the store's grand opening. At that time, it was clear that the employees in the store exhibited positive spirits and provided good customer service to the patrons. The store was new, clean and the employees seemed happy and excited to provide quality customer service. It is with much disappointment that I am writing to you today in reference to the poor customer service I have witnessed during my last two shopping experiences at the Avondale store, in particular with the employees staffed in the Deli and Hot Foods department.

I do not know their names but on both occasions, I have found the older gentleman with the glasses who handles the Acme fried chicken specials to be extremely rude to the customers. Likewise, the older lady with the glasses behind the Deli case is equally rude, snappy and short with customers. Please note that this is not age discrimination by any means; I am simply stating the facts based on recent experiences from a customer's point of view. I expect that you will take a customer's feedback into consideration for the well being of your store.

Last Saturday evening on May 22, there were no customers at the Deli counter. I headed over there and waited to be waited on, as these two same individuals were talking behind the counter, along with who I believe was the Assistant Store Director in charge that night. All three of them were talking amongst themselves and did not make any acknowledgement that there was a customer waiting. As such, I took a quick moment to tend to my young daughter who was fidgeting in the shopping cart as kids normally do.

It was only for a few seconds and next thing I know, I hear the woman snap loudly at me and say, "Well?" I look up only to witness her rude demeanor and impatient stance. Meanwhile, I see the other gentlemen and the assistant store director share a smirk. I understand that this is my perception of the events that unfolded, however as someone who has also personally worked in the service industry for almost a decade many years back, I would consider this type of behavior as inappropriate, rude and unsatisfactory customer service.

On another shopping experience, it was a Friday evening, and I was waiting for the next batch of the fried chicken special which the same gentleman was tending to in the fryer. I noticed that he was rude to all the customers as it was evident that he was frustrated by all the chicken orders every customer was requesting. The same woman also comes over and demands that I grab a ticket to be helped. Then, as I waited by the Deli counter, it took almost 20 minutes before she serviced any of the waiting customers. When she finally got to my ticket, she then became distracted by her colleague's request to look for a particular Deli meat on sale. Instead of apologizing and acknowledging the customer she was working on, she stops what she was doing and walks all around the case for the next 5 minutes trying to find this Deli special. I remember looking at a couple of the other customers who were all patiently waiting and sharing a "Can you believe this?" sentiment.

Mr. **, I do not know what kind of store you are running, but I would certainly hope that it is not to send customers away. Perhaps these employees are acting up and when you are not on duty. No matter, I will choose to shop at the other Acmes and Giants where I am treated like a customer and provided quality respectful service. Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Acme Markets Company Profile