1.91/5
Based on 44 reviews that contain star ratings

Avondale, PA

45 Acme Markets Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

In Bronxville proper, there is really only one supermarket: the former A&P, now ACME. It is over-priced and understaffed. At least 50% of the times I pick up some items, I leave empty-handed because the checkouts are not staffed properly and the one open is too slow. When I am forced to stay because I really need that item (remember, there is no other grocery store within a mile), I can spend up to 1/2 in the checkout line. I sympathize with low and minimum wage workers but this is why I usually get into my car and drive to Trader Joe's, which is always friendly and typically half the price.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

ACME took over for the A&P Supermarket in Baldwin Place, NY. I have had numerous issues with this store. Food is bad, vegetables wilted, expired items on shelf, rude service and one day last week their entire produce section was filled with fruit flies. No one cared. Soft mushy peaches, nectarines, plums all covered in flies. However the worst was a dead lobster floating in their lobster tank. And when I brought it to their attention no one seemed to care. I am hoping they go out of business quickly and we get a real supermarket again.

Get expert buying tips about Grocery Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Acme 121 E. City Ave Bala Cynwyd - First off, Acme corporate shut down its consumer complaint page over a year ago by deleting the form. Bala Acme is the worst stocked supermarket I have ever seen. The restock orders seem to be completely random, and they run out of basic items as a result ie. milk, iced tea, cat food, and pasta. When Peet's House Blend runs out, they order double of another flavor. When Dunkin' Donuts Espresso ran out, they ordered triple the mocha, even though none sold. If I stop there to buy 10 things, usually 8 are not in stock. In the morning, you can stand at the deli counter for 10 minutes while they completely ignore you. There is no sign which says the deli opens 2 hours after the store does.

The pricing is also random, key items often double in price from week to week, for no apparent reason. A small wheel of President Brie cheese is 6 times the price of Aldi markets. The meat cuts are geared towards EBT shoppers and the filet mignon is as thin as the rib eye steaks. There are never any carts, and the wheels are all broken or locked. The entrance doors to this store are backwards. I have heard from dozens of people, that this Acme has been the most horrible shopping experience in their lifetime. One welfare day the store is emptied out, there is no order adjustment for the massive influx of ** shoppers from across the street. They also cut open consumer packs like Fancy Feast Medleys, and resell the individual cans, which is terribly wrong.

They sold me moldy Schmidt bread this week (they also removed consumer feedback page). Management at this store should be replaced, but I'm thinking their father etc is on the township board, as they squeak by Lower Merion inspections for some reason. I am 50 and this is the worst supermarket I have ever shopped at. Again, Acme corporate has disabled consumer feedback for over a year now for all stores.

Original review: June 8, 2018

This is so ridiculous. I am still laughing. Last evening I went to the Acme Market at 20th and Oregon in Philadelphia to purchase a bottle of wine for dinner. Since it was close by I didn’t bring my purse with identification. Well the checkout person would not sell it to me because I had no identification. I understand the need to ensure alcohol is not sold to minors but here is the punch line: I am 69 yrs old and was with my 84 year old aunt. I guess we should consider this a compliment. Lol.

Original review: May 26, 2018

When I opened a package of scrapple, I discovered that the bottom of the meat was covered in mold. Upon closer inspection of the package, the sell-by-date was March 31st. This meat was purchased on May 25th. The customer service representative told me that a man had returned a package yesterday evening

that also had a sell-by-date almost two months prior to the sale date.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acme?

Original review: May 11, 2018

Went to Acme, watched people doing resets on store shelves, asked a manager, “Are they going on sale?” He said, “Yes 75% off.” When I came back they were 10 to 20% off. And there was a different manager there. Some sale items were lower than the ones they were trying to sell. Is that legal?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Acme Markets needs to do a better job restocking and to lower prices as ShopRite is better with prices and its selection. They need to make sure each store is clean and operating efficiently no matter what neighborhood it is in. Some stores are worse than others.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Love the fresh meats, great produce and good grocery items. Acme fresh market has always in my eyes been a clean, great employees, great products, good sales and a great place to shop.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My experience at Acme is always enjoyable. The staff is always helpful, quality of food is good, has the best bakery compare to all the other food stores in the area.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I always find what I am looking for and the advertised price is accurate. The cashiers are courteous and always glad to point out an aisle where an item I am looking for is located and it is in walking distance from my home.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Product selection is just not stable or reliable. One day the product you want is there, and the next time its gone. It's not that they ran out, it was just not reordered. They may tell you that it will NOT BE reordered. Then a few months down the line you might see it again.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Store is nearby and food aisles are organized very well, customer service area is easily recognizable and makes it a pleasant experience to shop there.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The store is very clean and when they have a sale the shelves are stocked. They have a butcher on hand to help you with your meat selection and the bakery department always has fresh items to your satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I'm writing this review regarding my experience at Acme, since they took over most of the old A&P's here in Northern New Jersey. My question: What are they thinking? Their prices are ridiculously higher than any competitor in my area... Shoprite, Ideal, Stop & Shop, Walmart. The list goes on. Aisles and aisles loaded with shelf-talkers touting "new lower prices"; I feel they must really think we are idiots here. Granted, A&P was on the high side, but Acme takes it all. I know many employees who work the Saddle Brook store, and I have to say, most are very pleasant - they've confided in me many a time how disgusted they are, including a few who tell me about their abusive store manager.

3 out of 5 times I have to let them know about wrong pricing on my receipt, and they come back with a suspicious and untrusting attitude towards my wife & I. I really hope the higher up management will read this review, and many others I've seen on this website - in such a highly competitive NJ market, it's only a matter of time Acme will be lost to history. Wake up, Acme... You've ruined a good name for the sake of greed... People are not fools! Just check to see how few cars there are in your parking lot... Written by another disappointed FORMER customer.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Acme on Bristol Pike Bensalem PA - Went to Acme this afternoon. Picked up about 30 things, frozen dinner, 2 bags rolls, 2 bag of potato chips, 2 Keurig Maxwell House coffee, a bag of cat litter, Claussen pickles, 14 pack dishwasher pods total $236.00. I was like really did I just hear that, the young cashier had a attitude because I had to go through my purse to get that much. I asked again. He said the total amount with a attitude. I paid, got my order and left. Tried to review my receipt. The receipt is showing only the last number eg: 10.99 only the 9 was visible. I go to manager and I they told me his register was running out of ink. Really. I said "I need a visible receipt so I can see what I paid for." Her answer was it was the register fault. Really. I will not go back to that store again but I am making every phone call I can.

Original review: July 26, 2017

It used to be that there was a small Acme store in Shrewsbury, while across the street in Tinton Falls was an A&P. I shopped at both, but the Acme was my favorite. It was small enough to run in and get what I needed on the way home from the train, and the people who worked there were very friendly. Then A&P went belly-up, and Acme moved into their former store and eventually closed out the little store.

Since then, Acme has just let this store go. They removed A&P's self-checkouts, and now there is often only one register open. It's apparent that they hire people who are on the spectrum, a practice that I applaud and encourage. However, too many times, especially at night, there is no one in charge, and the lone cashier can't handle the customers. More than once, more than three times, in fact, I have been at Acme while the line for the one open register snakes back into the frozen food section. No one cares. No one is in charge. Once when this happened, I looked over at the customer service desk to see if anybody was there who could do something, and the person standing there was staring into space with a vacant look, digging in her ear with a pen. I didn't bother. The shelves now frequently go unstocked, and sometimes the next day they still haven't been filled.

Shop-Rite is a building a new store across the street, so the Tinton Falls Acme is doomed. I feel bad for the employees who will be out of work when Acme dies, and I feel bad about the lack of competition and choices that consumers in such a densely populated area should have, but Acme Markets seems to have brought this on themselves almost deliberately, and I don't know why.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I will start off by saying don't even bother shopping at ANY Acme. They're ALL horrible and after reading the reviews I know I'm right. Between the expired food and employees with horrible attitude I don't know how much worse this store can get. Apparently these employees forget they're at work and there to do their jobs. They act like we're bothering them at home and they're not at work. Apparently the owners don't care because it's never fixed if they were getting paid to be on their cellphones all the time instead of working. I could understand.

I went to the acme in Jersey City on rte. 440. Can I say dirty flies all over bad produce bad meat and expired items? I will not be buying food from there ever again. I won't even buy pet food from there. If I need Windex or bleach ok but never food and check your receipts, they love to charge you twice for the same item hoping you don't notice but honestly the employees' attitudes alone are enough for me not to shop there ever again. I will gladly drive to the next town Bayonne and shop at ShopRite or Stop N Shop. Acme is gross. Don't even bother going.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Bought 7 items. Found 4 overcharges on the receipt. Innocent errors? I think not. Has Tony Soprano been reincarnated?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Acme is one of my favorite supermarkets. The selection is great, the stores are always clean, and the staff is very helpful. Sales prices are very good but some products are overpriced compared w/ other supermarkets. When Acme does run a sale on different items, the prices are unbeatable. Acme is the closest supermarket to my home so much of my shopping is done there.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I love shopping at Acme and the large selection of items, the prices are good. I especially love it when you buy a pack or two of meat and get one free, and it's not just on meats. But it's great that meats are also included in the buy one get one free deals. The staff at Acme are very friendly and helpful. I have used their bakery numerous times for party and everyone was happy with the selection and taste of the desserts. Their hoagies trays are also excellent, great place for shopping or to let them prepare your party platters.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

From the Bronxville location we purchased some strange "ground beef" on 12/4. I had already made really fatty hamburgers (it says 80/20 more like 70/30--pan 1/4 inch full of fat) and we didn't notice the off taste. Tacos last night, however, and this odd chemical taste and consistency came right through. A weird kind of chalky mouth feel with some sweet note chemical taste like floor cleaner or something like that. Something horrible was done to this meat. I took photos in case I get sick or dead. I have shopped here before and the ground sirloin was actually great. This wasn't that. Never shop here on Sundays or perhaps ever, something went horribly wrong.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I have had several bad experiences with deli meats that spoiled within 2-3 days and bad produce from the Acme on High Ridge Road, but this was the last straw. I bought a rotisserie chicken yesterday and invited my husband to eat some for lunch the day after I bought it. Turns out I almost poisoned the poor guy because after the third bite he figured that the strange ammonia flavor just was not right. He Googled it and to his horror he confirmed that he had just swallowed a few bites of spoiled chicken. I will never set foot in that store again. Acme Chairman of the Board hear this: Please send your CEO to business school for some basic management training. You are missing the boat and your operation needs a lot of work or you will be out of business soon. Good luck with that. I will stick to Whole Foods.

Original review: June 27, 2016

We will not shop in your store again. No one loads your shopping cart. When one cart is at the end of a checkout counter, another cart cannot possibly pass. You do not have many standard items such as carrs crackers, port wine cheese balls, black rice, ziploc sandwich bags, etc. Your produce is horrible, rotten and old. I'm surprised people don't get sick from purchasing food from your store. It's worse than a third world country food and I've visited them. It took 2 checkout girls 3 times even after writing down my telephone number to look up my mixx card. Please hire americans who speak english!!! I showed my app to the girls many times but they just giggled, and I could not get my mixx number from the app.

Original review: May 18, 2016

I was shopping for nail polish & I reached into my purse and a tall ** male comes over grabs my purse and he accuses me of stealing. He yanked my purse out of my hands and dumps all my personal items out and he humiliates me in front of everyone. I picked up my belongings and left. He followed me out of the store all the way to the next store which I'm sure he's not allowed to do. I came back and told someone what happened and they couldn't get me a manager. So later on that day he called and told me I wasn't allowed back in the store and I said to him, "Good. If your employees are going to attack people I gladly wouldn't step back into your store." Now I pretty sure if I was stealing they would have called the cops instead of someone attacking me.

Original review: April 10, 2016

I just returned from a pitiful Acme Paoli shopping experience that I would equate similar to a prior Wal-Mart experience. The problem is a repetitive issue with the store and hopefully someone within Acme will recognize the complaint and take action. I was attempting to purchase a product that was offered as a two for $5 bargain, however the register was not aligned with the price tag and the cost was the normal price without any savings. The tag was clearly placed below a full stack of the product.

After having someone verify and check the price and the tagging, I decided to return to the shelf and see if the product remained above the erroneous tag. Sure enough the whole stack remained above the price tag. I proceeded to verify if the bargain product was even offered for sale. I checked each product of the brand with the tags code and it did not exist on the shelf. I did not ask to speak to a manager to request the reasoning. I will say that Wal-Mart would have given me the products for the price that they were displayed and priced. I left without purchasing the product.

Original review: April 9, 2016

This store has compromised my personal information, which I have received personal calls at my house harassing me. I am a disabled veteran with severe PTSD. I have tried now 4 times in getting help from managers, district managers, and higher ups, with no results. They have not showed any professional, courteous, resolution, nor looked into how within a store my personal information, name, address, and phone number was compromised. The people that are in the Denville, NJ store are nothing short of nasty, unprofessional staff, which stemmed when it was dingy A&P. The store got cleaned up, money put into it. The staff stayed the same, and this is where it has failed. Since there are numerous other stores in the area, I will never step foot into this store again.

Original review: March 1, 2016

I have tried hard to allow this store to get settled in. I wasn't a fan of the A&P and hoped we would get a better store. Today I went and picked up a few groceries. Stopped at customer service to buy a few powerball tickets. No one came for 7 minutes. Saw a guy in desserts and I said, "Anyone here?" He turned around and walked away. Finally a young woman came and I said, "Is there anyone here who can help me?" She said that was why she was here. I said, "Great. I need some pb tickets." She said, "Oh I can't do that." I asked if there was anyone who could help and she said, "No." I put back my groceries and headed out the door. Not about PB tickets, it's about customer service. There is absolutely no one there that is helpful. Very unfortunate. Will shop at Scott's Corners from now on. It's worth the drive.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

Several times I went into the Acme Supermarket on High Ridge Road in Stamford, CT and found outdated food on the shelves that they were trying to sell. Two weeks ago it was containers of macaroni salad with a very outdated Sell By date. Today it was cream cheese that was dated Sell By Feb. 14. Today is Feb. 20. I placed it up on the Customer Service counter and told the lady staffing the counter that the cream cheese was outdated. The lines at the register are so long they look like the bread lines at a refugee camp.

Today, on a busy Saturday there were only two registers open and the manager said she didn't have anyone to staff another register. Last Saturday it was the same, with very, very long lines. Some employees have told me that management has cut the hours of the workers so they don't have enough people. Today as well as last Saturday there was only one employee working the deli counter. The employees seem to be working very hard with the few staff that are working at any one given time.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2016

In a rush, I recently purchased a package of garlic that was stocked in the organic food section of our local Acme Market. When I got home I realized that it was not organic and, to make matters worse, was sourced from China. In addition, the entire offering of fresh vegetables and fruit is sub-par.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

On Christmas eve they had one young woman working by herself. The bakery section was mobbed. Customers were waiting in line to get their cakes decorated with names printed on them. There is not a variety of cake goods like you have in other Acme Stores. Customers were going to ShopRite farther up the Roosevelt Blvd to purchase their bakery needs. I find it hard to believe that the revenue from that bakery can compare to other Acme Bakery. It seems like your manager Karen throws the bakery goods out instead of reducing them to generate revenue for the store. I am sure you can do an inventory. Why is so many bakery employees quitting? Paying your employees $7.25 an hour is not as bad as how much work you expect out of them.

Acme Markets Company Information