1.72/5
Based on 274 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

297 Polaris ATVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 27, 2017

I bought a 2015 Ranger 570 EPS Full Size new in April 2015. With 2000 miles on it I just installed a new engine. I am selling the Ranger and buying a Honda. I liked the Ranger and promoted it - great utility and trail machine. Adequate power. I had a snow plow and it worked great. Because I failed to replace the air filter, the engine sucked in sand and dirt - destroying the engine. Admittedly my fault, however, with a plugged air filter I fully would have expected the engine to fail to run. Instead, per the Polaris mechanic, the engine simply sucked dirty air in around my filter. In my opinion a defect in the filter system.

With a lot of hassle, the dealer was able to get Polaris to give me a $660 credit. Not bad, but because they refused to acknowledge any responsibility and made the process difficult, I am not happy. The only other negatives - the machine is loud at anything above slow speeds, and the cab seems to suck in dust from every direction. I owned two Honda ATV's for 12-14 years, 4,000 miles and never had a problem, and might have once replaced the air filters. I am buying a Honda.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I bought a 2015 ranger full-size crew from the dealer in 2016. It was a demo, with 100 miles on it. I used it very little 'cause it was late in 2016 and cold, but did use it for 1 hr to pull kids around with tubes. Wasn't impressed with the power, but did ok, but when I checked the oil after putting it away, it was 1.5 quarts low. I was told to change it by the dealer. I reminded them that they just changed it when I got it, but did as told. It takes 45 miles and it's almost empty, it's out of warranty and needs a upper end rebuild. That I have to pay for, not buying another Polaris again... There have been more issues like not starting when below 20 degrees. And grease zerks not taking grease.

Original review: June 12, 2017

2016 Polaris Ranger 900 XP - First of all I do not work and never have for Polaris. I live in Mississippi. I was scared to buy Polaris because of all these crazy reviews but I know that Polaris is the most abused vehicle of all the UTVs made, you should not get mad at Polaris for making a great vehicle when you abuse it so badly. I have had two Polaris is so far and they both have been incredibly hard-working machines for me, but I do not drive my Polaris or any other vehicle through the middle of rivers or through the middle of the lakes full of water and expect them to function normally, we have rivers and lakes where I live but I have boats for that. When I get on my tractor or in my car or my truck I do not punch the accelerator all the way to the floor. I have been in the rain, in the mud and snow, gravel, sand, pool, hills with a trailer load, a post, build bridges and how many things. I don't have a problem with Polaris. They are good vehicles.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I got a recall letter for my 6 month old RZR 900 side by side for a possible faulty master cylinder. I called Polaris to see if they would pay to have it hauled to the dealer and back after the warranty work was done. All I got was the runaround. It's their mistake why should I have to waste my time for their mistake. Well needless to say that don't care about my time. Last Polaris I will ever own.

Original review: June 2, 2017

On May 26 I brought my 2016 Ranger High Lifter to the dealer for a check engine light with the code 520344. According to the dealer the engine ingested dust and needed to be rebuilt/replaced. They told me when I changed the air filter I didn't secure it properly allowing dust to get into the engine. This Ranger has 80 hours on it and the air filter was just looked at by another dealer. I really think the problem is that the snorkel is pointing towards the rear of the cab and when traveling down dirt roads it acts like a vacuum and sucks in dust, obviously the filter is not completely preventing dust from getting in the engine causing damage to the rings and cylinder. Bad design but regardless I'm paying $6500 for a new engine!! Also I have a extended service plan I paid $2000 for that won't cover this! Useless!! It's through Extreme Powersports.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Polaris ATV?

Original review: May 25, 2017

I have a Ranger 570... new in 2014. Brackets failed and roof blew off. Polaris refuses to make it right so I have to pay for another roof. Now... Let's see how Polaris will ACT IN SMALL CLAIMS COURT. I will keep all posted here. WARNING DO NOT BUY POLARIS... GOOD UNTIL THERE IS A PROBLEM BUT THEN YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

Original review: May 23, 2017

My 2007 Ranger is flashing a service code 5461. Neither owner's manual or service manual address the service lite on the dash. (Yellow indicator with wrench superimposed.) I called Polaris. I am told by the rep that the factory is unable to tell me what the code means and I must trailer into a service facility where it will be connected to a diagnostic computer. Really?!! Am I to believe the factory does not know how it's ECM is factory hard coded? Hardly. Sorry Polaris... no credibility on that one. PS, my Ranger is a well-built machine, durable, weather-tight, tough little machine. Frame & assembly are SAE fasteners halleluja. Service manual is so far excellent, just no mention of the service light.

Original review: May 18, 2017

My fiance purchased a 2017 Polaris RZR 1000 4 Highlifter Edition for us on March 31, 2017. We already own a Polaris RZR 900 in which I switched the factory parts to Highlifter parts on it so we decided to pay the extra money on the 1000 with the belief that it already comes with the Highlifter parts. Throughout the entire buying experience, we were led to believe that the Polaris RZR we were purchasing was already upgraded with Highlifter parts. On our last riding trip we gently rolled the Polaris RZR 1000 over on to its side at a very slow speed while going through a mud hole. I then used the winch on our other RZR and gently pulled the Polaris RZR 1000 back over on to its wheels. Upon inspecting the Polaris RZR 1000 I found that the slow motion roll over had bent the lower A Arm on the front passenger side.

On the Monday morning after the riding trip, I contacted Highlifter knowing that they guarantee all of their parts. Upon speaking to the gentleman at Highlifter I was advised that none of the parts on our Highlifter Edition Polaris RZR are made by Highlifter. I was also informed that Highlifter only allows Polaris to use their design and Polaris makes the parts and then are permitted to label the machine as a Highlifter Edition. This being said I now know why the A Arm bent so easily due to it being made cheap by Polaris.

I will now be purchasing Highlifter brand A Arms to replace the cheap Polaris A Arms on the machine. I strongly feel that Polaris is using false advertisement when labeling these machines as a Highlifter Edition and not specifying that there are no actual Highlifter parts on the machine. Nor did the sales staff at the dealership where we purchased this machine at any point mention that the machine has no Highlifter parts. We will never again purchase a "Highlifter Edition" Polaris RZR nor would we of purchased this one had we known then that it does not contain any Highlifter parts. But unfortunately, we are stuck with it and paying for it so we will continue to replace any broken or bent parts with actual Highlifter parts.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Bought a 2016 Polaris 570 sportsman. I have ridden it a total of 4 times. I have 142 miles on it. Did not abuse or misuse it. Went riding and went through water puddle, it stopped moving. Had to wait 1 week to get it into shop. They first thought belt got wet and it turned out my clutch is rusted completely. I paid for a 2 yr warranty, was told this is not covered by warranty. Now I have to pay 1000.00 to have it fixed. Called Polaris they said that it sucked in mud and dirt, so it will not be covered. They show their atv's going through water. Their product does not work as it should. Going to get it fixed and then trade it. Don't want to take clutch apart every time I go riding and go through some shallow water or mud. Completely disappointed. Will never recommend Polaris to anyone. To me they are not willing to stand by product or warranty. Have read a lot of the reviews. I should have do that before buying it.

Original review: May 4, 2017

Save your hard earned money and buy a product that the manufacturer will stand behind. Read some of the reviews. After owning 4 Polaris machines through the years it is time to find a product that someone will stand behind. The Polaris Warranty is not worth the paper is printed on. Email customer support and they're not any help! It will be parked on my tow truck bed at a large off roading event here in a few weeks with lemons hanging from it and a huge sign for all to see off a Hwy on commercial property leading to the event. If I stop one person from buying a Polaris machine it's worth it!

Original review: May 4, 2017

I own a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO with over 2500 miles on it. I beat the crap out of it on the roads and trails and it's been a great ride... especially since I'm 285 lbs. I have rolled it 3 times and had to replace very little... (back rack 2 times... I feel it is inferior composition... a polypropylene composite that is not adequate for the impact it may receive)... However, the only other parts I replaced were a front A arm, 2 ball joints and a belt... all due to my aggressive riding. The few gripes I have are:

1. The advertised front OEM rack extender does not fit... and I could not get any refund.
2. The access panels suck... they droop on the side and do not stay up. Additionally the plastic around the high beam unit warps... seen this from many owners.
3. The Xenon replacement bulbs claim to be 50% brighter... that is a lie! And I received one broken upon arrival. Fortunately, the seller replaced it without any questions.

So would I purchase another Polaris ATV? Perhaps... barring some changes...

Original review: April 21, 2017

I broke both rear CV joints by jumping and not letting off the gas (my bad nothing like dirt bikes). Polaris gave me a voucher to cover one axle. Next ride, the front gear box tanked. After review, they replace both front axles and gearbox. Haven't had it out yet but appreciate what Polaris has done. Thank you

Original review: April 16, 2017

I purchased a new Ranger 570 full size 2016 in Dec of 2015. When I got back to the ranch and drove into a pasture the brakes locked up and I had to walk home. Took to dealer and they found the master cylinder was not adjusted right and fixed it. I use this very easy and at slow speeds less than 10 mph on my ranch feeding and checking cattle, it is properly maintained and cared for. The short 6 month warranty had just ended and two CVC axles went out, costing me about 400.00 and my labor. Now it is about 1-1/2 years old and wheel bearings are going out. This piece of equipment gets worked on more than any piece of equipment on my ranch, and it is the newest. I will sell or trade in for a different brand. This is a disgrace!

Original review: April 5, 2017

Bought 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV, big piece of garbage. Mechanical metallic knocking noise coming from engine when heated up, dealer says it is the engine starter flywheel catching on engine gear after heating up, requires engine tear down and complete rebuild. Only 9 hrs and 40 miles, half put on by the dealer trying to duplicate the problem. Big piece of crap, should have stuck to Yamaha or Honda. Once this POS is repaired I'm trading it in on a more dependable brand name. Polaris is doing nothing for me while I have waited a month already on the dealer to duplicate the problem. Polaris customer service sucks, horrible service.

Original review: March 27, 2017

I own a Polaris Sportsman 800 and Sportsman 850 and a RzR 800. I brought my Sportsman 850 into Polaris of Palestine an authorized dealer by Polaris. They said they would be able to fix the 4-wheeler in 2 to 3 weeks. I brought it in on or about January 15th of 2017 with a 4-wheel drive problem. Along with the 4-wheel drive they called me with a few other issues, and quoted $1500.00 and still about 2 to 3 weeks. It is now March the 27th and I have been calling the dealership for over a week. I decided to drive to the dealership and found my 4-wheeler completed disassembled and only one man there loading up all the inventory for Polaris Ind. The dealership will be closed today according to the information I was given.

Now I have a completely disassemble 4-wheeler and missing parts that could not be found, so I called Polaris direct hoping to get some help. Now granted the 4-wheeler is a 2009 model, but I have invested lots of money with Polaris. I own a Polaris 800, a 850, and a RzR 800 and have spend tons of money making the vehicles the way I wanted them. Polaris said there was nothing they could do, but they sure knew how to send trucks there to pick up their inventory. The representative said he could work with me if I wanted to purchase a new one which was fine with me, but the 4 wheeler I now own that more than likely will never be put back together due to expenses of missing parts. I asked what he could do, maybe expecting Polaris to at least sell me one at dealers cost, but no, he insulted the heck out of me by offering a $1,000.00 off suggested retail.

How can a company that had sales of 5.7 billion dollars in 2015 treat one their loyal customers this way. I can walk into pretty much any dealership and get $1,000.00 off. This was so insulting after the money I have put in their pockets to make such an insulting offer knowing it was one of their authorized dealerships that did this to me. Polaris didn't hesitate to send truck after truck to this dealership to regain their merchandise but also didn't hesitate to outcast what use to be a loyal customer.

My wife and I were considering another 4-wheeler but I can assure all it will not be a Polaris. I have heard many complaints about Polaris lately not standing behind their warranties but most of the time I thought it was the dealerships that were messing with the people, but now I am convince it is POLARIS. I am an extremely dissatisfied POLARIS customer and will no longer support POLARIS in any fashion. I am right now in the process of moving and cannot furnish receipts, but when I was on the phone with Polaris they confirmed who I was and confirmed all my other purchases.

Original review: March 26, 2017

Just purchased 2 brand new 2017 Polaris Sportsman 450. They look great, seemed easy to operate, so we were very excited. Well, the first real trip to the woods and one had the check engine light come on. It turned off after a few minutes so all seemed well. The night before our safety training class, one of them wouldn't turn over. I talked to the dealer the next day and decided to bring it to them since they are the experts, and they could look at the issue much quicker and easier. Turns out one of the engine mounts was broken. The service tech says it's a manufacturing defect. Well, isn't that nice! So we left it for them to fix. Today we rode for a few hours in the woods, taking turns. After a bit of riding the check engine light comes on and the machine is running very rough and keeps stalling. I only have 50 miles on it and maybe 6 or so hours, if that. I feel like just returning both quads and going to look at Hondas... very frustrated with Polaris at this moment!!

Original review: March 25, 2017

Have a 2016 Polaris Ranger runs great, haven't had any problems with it at all. Also have an older model Sportsman 500 runs good too. Only thing I've had to do to that is a clutch but it does have a lot of hours on it. My family has around 1100 acres so we put those machines through some stuff. Have a Can-Am Outlander also that rides smooth and is very comfortable to ride. Only unreliable ATV I've owned would have to be the Arctic Cat, I had nothing but problems with it. After I hit around 70 hours, it started having trouble starting, got that fixed then after it would warm up it would have trouble going into gear. Ended up trading it in on the Sportsman.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Bought a 2013 Ranger side x side. Unloaded it after it took all day to get it put together at the dealer. Ran it about 30 minutes. The throttle cable came apart. Stuck wide open. Got it killed. Took it back to dealer, Hattiesburg Cycles in South Mississippi. They kept it a month. Got it back then wheel bearings went out. Plus water pump seal. Kept it 3 months that time. Then got it back. Ran fine a while. Then carb started acting up. Flooding out by passing rings running motor hot. Been a POS since I got it. Sad to say. I'm sick of walking after I paid for a product that had a reputation like them. Sucks. I'll not buy another.

Original review: March 8, 2017

Purchased a new Ranger 570 Mid-Size UTV spring of 2015. At 1 year / approximately 60 hours of use, changed oil and filter, air filter (April 2016). Alabama drought in 2016, extremely dusty, UTV has never left property, except to get a recall work done. Sept. 2016 due to dust, changed air filter again. In December 2016 UTV began to smoke. Got worse in January 2017, found unit using oil. Took to dealer in Feb. 2017. Had purchased 3 year extended warranty on unit. Polaris denied repair claim due to dust injection into intake. Warranty is useless and Polaris fails to stand behind their product. Rebuilding engine is $2500 on a $10,000 unit less than 2 years old and only a future 30 day warranty on rebuilt engine. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON WARRANTY, POLARIS WILL NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY.

Original review: March 1, 2017

My 2016 rzr 1000 caught fire at Glamis in November of 2016. It was 8 months old. There was about 500 miles on it. Polaris did an investigation and said there was 2 oil filter O-rings on the filter, causing oil to leak out and catch fire. If anyone else has had this excuse given to you please contact me and maybe we can do something about the way Polaris is treating its customers. My rzr 1000 never had an oil change so I know it didn't have 2 o-rings!!! To try and appease me they gave me a 5000.00 dollar credit towards a new one but I was still out a lot of money. If you have a rzr catch fire and decide to start a class action, please count me in!!! Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

We purchased 2 brand new 2016 Polaris Rzr 900s for our kids for Christmas 2015. Within 6 months we started having issues with both and by month 7 one of our engines completely blew with only 1600 miles on it. Polaris was involved in a class action lawsuit and had extended our warranty but still would not repair the machine. They stated Case denied. Polaris reps were very rude. Wouldn't let me speak to anyone in management and would not return phone calls. They looked for an excuse to deny our case. Said there was dirt on machine and in engine - yeah it broke down while we were riding a dirt road - we hauled it straight to be fixed. It's gonna be dirty!!

These machines are literally a piece of junk that we paid over 14K each for. Now we are stuck with paying 6K to fix one or just let it sit. Do not purchase Polaris ATVs unless you have plenty of time and money. Money to fix costly repairs - because they will deny claims - and time to sit and wait on repairs. Also don't count on actually getting to ride the machines - they will likely spend a lot of time in the shop.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Purchased two new 2017 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS from dealer. Both machines had shifting and idle problems. Returned to dealer with just a few miles on both. One machine was far worse than other and was unsafe to operate. Could not shift from a stop without applying excessive pressure to shifter and idles were set so high that the belt would engage and machine would take off. Dealer did warranty work on both and conditions improved but are far from performing as a new machine should. Or, performs much worse than the well used Honda and Arctic Cats I have. I have a Polaris Ranger that is a great unit which I highly endorse, but the sportsman were assembled poorly either by design or inadequate quality control on the line. Either way I have spent too much time working through the dealer and Polaris customer service to give a higher rating. There are much better choices out there.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

We recently purchased, 1-week ago, a 2016 Sportsman 570 quad from New Boston Crane & Sled. After a week of daily use it died 10 minutes in on the 8th day. The power is completely gone, no lights noise, nothing. I called the dealer we purchased it from, they asked if the kill switch was in the off position, if I've looked at the owners manual, and finally bring it back for warranty service. After reading many reviews on the 570 efi (newer models) I've come to the conclusion that the model we bought is not going to be a reliable daily user. I believe that after it is repaired we'll be trading it in for a different make quad, after first reading the reviews.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Bought a supposed 2014 Polaris 570 razor but it's really a 7 of 2013. Didn't want a one-year old razor. Paid for paperwork fee 200. Paid delivery fee. Junk has 400 miles because leftover battery cell trash from day one. Now 403 miles later odometer 4x4. Gas etc out not working. Glad I spent 14000.00 on junk to get this thing safe and working. Nothing but junk for big dollars.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Purchased a Polaris from these guys in 2015. Service-wise they charge like a bull but had no complaints until I sent my vehicle in just 26 months after purchase. The vehicle has been on relatively light utility work but asked them to come to us (extra cost) as a bit concerned as it seemed to be making a funny noise. Handed the keys over and specifically asked the engineer to test drive it. Returned 90 minutes later no engineer, no note but service complete. Received a bill a couple of days later for £200 for the service. 3 days later, the vehicle literally ground to a halt on a Saturday afternoon at a shoot after traveling just a mile.

Mortons shut so called a local mechanic who is very respected and just happened to be the senior mechanic at the ATV dealership that they acquired a while back. He diagnosed total transmission failure but somewhat oddly virtually no transmission fluid in a vehicle that had been serviced in the past few days. Heat marks all over the transmission that either should have been spotted on the service or mysteriously occurred sometime after. Rang Mortons and was told as they hadn't attended (although they were closed so I was supposed to leave it in the field for the weekend) therefore they couldn't be sure that the reputable local agricultural mechanic was lying or had removed the transmission fluid himself!

They would call me back still waiting three months later. Transmission repaired elsewhere not giving these jokers £1500. Received a chase up today on their bill! Will pay but only after my promised phone call! Was telling this amongst a group of Norfolk farmers and they all looked at me and said should have bought a Kubota same price, better vehicle and good dealership. Lucky you, reading this.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I purchase a new Polaris 700 in 2005 and had it for 9 yrs and never had a problem. So in 2015 I sold my 700 and purchased a new 570 sportsman, that's when the problems began. When I first got it and rode it you could not stand the heat. The right side of the ATV was burning up. So now I have 20 hrs on the unit and it would not start, I take it to the dealer, and he tells me the woodruff key is bad. Even though the ATV had only 20 hrs on it was not covered by warranty. So I paid for it. So now I got 30 hrs on it and it quit running. I took it to dealer, he told me the fuel system was gone and would cost $1000.00 to repair. I traded the Polaris 570 for a Honda Pioneer 500. In almost one and a half years this Honda has never seen the dealer. I have no idea what happen to Polaris. This was a good company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

Have owned Polaris before but very disappointed with my recent purchase. Since purchasing this vehicle new I have had nothing but issues with it. First the starter burned out but fortunately this was covered by warranty. My last visit to the repair shop at 328 hrs level the battery had shorted out and front differential needed new seals and U-Joints and carrier bearings required replacement. The statement from the dealer was these went out because I drove in mud (I thought this was an off road vehicle). The power steering works less than 50% of the time and the dealership stated that was a common issue due to electrical issues and basically recommended I live with it. This vehicle is used on a cattle ranch and has very little off road use. Used mostly on gravel roads.

I told the dealership that the design of the vehicle creates a large amount of mud build up and they agreed but could sell me mud guards that should help for 500.00. Seems if they are building off road vehicle this would have been in the original design. Also bought a gun rack for $145 then was told it would require a floor mount which was an additional $89.99. Purchased a 750 windshield that is unusable due to the amount of dirt/grass it puts into the cab area. Was told if I purchased a rear window it might be better but not willing to spend any more money on this bad purchase. It is obvious that this is a poorly designed vehicle that is geared towards making you purchase expensive accessories to make the vehicle usable.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

This review is about the 2016 Polaris Ranger 900xp limited edition camo. I purchased this machine new in February 2016. After 30 miles the machine was in the shop for a bad starter relay, kept blowing fuses. At 68 miles in the shop again for a bad TPS sensor and rough idle. The shop Absolute Motor Sports in Grants Pass, Oregon could not figure out how to fix the problem. I told them that the machine was a lemon and wanted it replaced. They said that there was nothing they could do and to contact Polaris corporate office.

Machine wash in the shop at 132 miles for another bad sensor and for the last time at 210 miles for a bad drive belt. I got rid of this machine after the last repair made at my own expense. In summary, these machines made by Polaris are complete garbage!!! Especially at the 17-29 thousand dollars that they price them at. They are nothing but trash!!! Buyer beware!!! You will get screwed out of your money and will have many headaches afterwards!!! Polaris is 100% garbage!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

Bought a new Polaris Ranger 800 March of 2012, drove it for 1800 miles then the motor blew up, needed new pistons and rings not covered under warranty. Cost $1200 in repairs. Once fixed drove it until it 4,000 miles total then blew up again same problem. I then overhauled it myself. Cost me around 600 for parts, drove it until 7000 miles then traded it off for a 2015 Ranger 900p. Put 2000 miles on the 900 hundred and the front gear-case went out. Overall recommend a can-am Defender or Honda Pioneer 1000.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

My father bought me a 2005 Polaris sportsman 400, and my brother a 2011 Polaris sportsman 400 H.O. and all I have to say is, stay away from Polaris. 1 month after riding, my brakes failed, so we got them fixed, then a month later, mine overheated... After 2 months the battery in my brother's died, so we got a new battery, then the next week, a fuse blew. Then we were trouble free for 3 months, until AGAIN mine overheated. Then the fuel pump in my brother's went bad after sitting for ONE MONTH... Then mine started to leak coolant, then my engine had a blown head gasket, and my brother's transmission broke. So we bought Suzukis, and we've had them for 5 months, with no trouble. So DO NOT BUY POLARIS!!! Stick with Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, or Yamaha. You won't regret it.

Polaris ATVs Company Information