1.68/5
Based on 296 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

319 Polaris ATVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 15, 2019

I've owned many Polaris vehicles over the years and have never had problems as I have now. Just this past year I purchased a special limited production Sportsman XP 1000 in LAVA orange paint 2018 model. I will be 60 years old this year and ride accordingly. After a weekend of trail riding my paint was completely trashed where ever paint has contact. Under the seat and all storage areas look like I dropped it from a helicopter! Deep gouged in paint and rub scratches. The special paint is garbage for an ATV and the factory even recommends against using a power washer as the paint can come off easily! The machine still gets so hot you can burn your hands on the rear luggage rack above the exhaust.

After contacting Polaris after owning the machine for 1 month they said they could not fix my paint or even reimburse me damages! They offered me a 1 year service contract for my damages but said I would have to live with the damaged paint. I contacted my dealer Sports and Turf in Pottstown PA on 3-15-19 only to find out after selling Polaris forever they dumped the Polaris line for warranty claims and that Polaris was Jamming machines down their throat that they could not sell quick enough. They are now a Dealer for Can Am only.

I also heard through certain circles that more dealers are having this problem in Philadelphia and NJ. Polaris has definitely become too big and will suffer in the near future. The dealers that I associate with are holding on to them because their service shops are extremely busy with repair and warranty work on the Polaris line! You will see a decline in Phila and Jersey in the near future. Shame on Polaris. Just remember Polaris if Rome can fall so will you!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have 3 Polaris ATVs. Nothing big problems. 2016 motor Blew up at 109 hours. It was serviced regularly and used on ranch roads. It was recalled by Polaris for exhaust heating From a design flaw. Polaris is not a reliable product For a rancher with 43 section ranch. Could be up to a 27 Mile hike back to headquarters. I wouldn’t recommend A Polaris to anybody for anything. I also have a Kubota R1100 Ni comparison to the Polaris for reliability.

Get expert buying tips about ATVs delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Bought 450 EU in 2017 for mostly home use on hobby farm - awesome machine to move trailers etc with front hitch and low gear. Unfortunately health issues prevented much use so only had 49.6 hrs on it until past warranty timeline. Feb this yr 2019 engine knocked a bit - then seized up while bringing wood to house - had to push quad to garage with tractor. Had to special order repair manual - none online. Pulled engine and removed head and oil pan - connecting rod welded to crank. I understand only 6 months warranty is standard but even 18 months is unacceptable for such a catastrophic failure with less than 50 hrs - 2 oil and filter changes (on time lapse not usage!). At my age - abusive use of this machine is not likely! No stuck in swamps or high speed trail riding. Very disappointed in what was supposed to be such a quality product!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

After having my bike back from the shop AGAIN some 35 days ago and writing my last review O boy here we go again! Engine Light is back on! This is my 3rd review on this machine, normal use and bike is in good condition but and I say BUT, when is Enough- Enough? Polaris and my Dealer took care of me on the last Go Around but as many times this bike has been in shop I am starting to Feel like a Test Dummy for this Bike! Keep you posted on next go around. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

So I bought a new Polaris General and immediately the power steering went out. I looked in the manual and online and nothing except take it in. Then I called Polaris and they said it had to come in. I had it taken there, they said then that it was a fuse. $300 (towing and assessment) later when I could have changed a fuse. So bad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Polaris ATV?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

No such thing as service. They can not get parts in less than 3 weeks and then wrong part. I had to have a radiator hose and it took 3 weeks to come in and a week to get it on. They are not concerned with you once the sale is made.

Resolution response: Jan. 14, 2019

OK guys - after my 1st review I wrote with the problems on my new 2018 bike I have news. After the bike had been at the dealership more than a month I have it back. As I described bad voltage regulator engine light coming on to bad battery and bad information loaded to bike's computer on and off lights, melted brake lens blown fuses to on and off hand warmers to loss of power steering to bike getting hot. I was fed up and demand a new machine or my money back after owning the bike for 1 year!

Dealing with the dealer shop owner I stood my ground, it came to Polaris getting involved with the dealer and myself. They offered me to trade in my bike on a new 2019 but the money offered to me on trade in was close but not enough to recoup money already spent. My dealer went over my bike with a fine tuned comb under Polaris' factory directions. It came to both Polaris and the owner of the dealership working with me and achieving my goals of having a good running bike. Polaris came to the table full force and bucked up to make sure I was happy owning a product with their name on it, they sent me a decent goodwill coupon to use for parts and accessories at the dealer. So far bike is plowing snow with no hiccups. My 1st Polaris bike I owned 7 years ago never once let me down. Thank you Jeremy at Polaris and the owner of the dealership for working with me. Any hiccups I will keep all parties informed.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Polaris has problems with these bikes, can say one thing once they have your money your bike will never be right! So many problems with a New Bike from Polaris, and another thing why am I paying for Extended warranty to FIX their problems? From melted brake lens, to blowing fuses to high idle to bad battery to losing running lights at night to computer was loaded at factory with wrong info to hard to start at times to getting hot to power steering going out many times.

The bike has been serviced with regulator oil and filter changes and lubes to air filter changes and washes. I use the bike for work and has never seen high speeds or a mud hole, just runs me and gear around on 6 acres of land and plows snow from driveway. So far bike has been in shop more than 50 days this year (2018). Bike went back to Dealer to be fixed, took 22 days before I heard back on fix, I demanded I sit down with Owner of Dealer and Polaris Factory Rep, never happened but did receive a call from owner of dealer, to them I said I wanted my money back or a new bike (cannot trust this bike I paid over 10K for and am still making payments, payments). They pretty much said it's not going to happen!!! It's been little more than 2 weeks and they have not called back after dealer said they would talk to Factory Rep about this situation! Anyone one else that has this situation?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Dissatisfied with Polaris with these speedometers cracking or getting small hairline cracks from weather temperature changes?? Customer service no help and you have to replace entire gauge not just window or glass. 2014 500 Sportsman. Help someone. What can I do to prevent this??

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

My Polaris 570 touring ATV has been in the shop for more hours than ridden. It is back in again; now with an EPS issue that they cannot figure out. We thought it was the dealership the first time and changed dealers; they are not happy about warranty work since they don't get paid the same as a regular repair. They sold me a machine I cannot use with a warranty they will not stand behind. I would not purchase another Polaris product unless they change.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Polaris looks for the cheapest parts they can find for their side by sides. I bought tires from them, they have flat spots on them and are dry rotted. Must have came off a side by side that sat for a long time and Polaris in turn sold them as new. BUYERS BEWARE. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I've had a long loving relationship with Polaris for the past say 20 years. I have had many, many different models of Polaris ATVs and used to race them back in the early 90s. Wanting to upgrade I purchased a sharp looking all black 2017 Polaris Sportsman 1000xp last year... paid cash and thankfully I also bought the extended warranty. As much as I love the raw power, the massive torque, and impressive handling I have had too many issues with it more than I have ever had with Polaris. At around 50 hrs Pepe (my ATV), started to make (while idling) this rpm did and rev shuttering engine sound. Engine light was on, front screen flashing, power steering felt weird, and full throttle allowed about 5 mph and this only seems to happen when in low gear... putting around staying under about 20 mph.

If I turn Pepe (my ATV) completely off, immediately restart it back up and hammer the throttle for a short burst, the rest of the ride is seemingly ok. If I happen to be done riding or turn off Pepe and then restart and put around again the problem rears its ugly head again. To make matters worse I am out of dealer service options in my area (only 2). I have taken into the shop for service at least 6 different times and have been without a successful outcome when they tell me, "It's fixed so come pick it up." It is the most frustrating ordeal and I use it almost every day on the ranch. For the 1st time in 20 years I am considering not buying a Polaris for my next purchase.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

2018 Polaris 850sp - So far this atv has been in shop 7 times for coolant fan, power steering 3 times, display screen went out, brakes and now the motor went out and Polaris won't fix it. They said I got dust in the motor through air cleaner so they won't cover it because the air cleaner had ripples in it which came from me blowing it out with a air gun. They tried to say it's from getting wet. I have never got water in airbox. I will never buy a Polaris again. They won't back their junk up.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We have two Sportsman 570s EPS bought the same day. Batts have been weak in both from the day we bought. White 570 Polaris rear bumper cracked at year two after app 600 miles and no impacts. Valves for intake fell out of adjustment so bay unit would not start with only 800 miles on it. Polaris went to shim in bucket from their standard shims and requires 200 in parts to switch to conventional shims. Ended up doing an upper rebuild due to excessive cylinder wear. This is one a machine with 800 miles that had 800 miles and 70 hours of run time on it. This unit gets an oil change along with gearbox trans oil and air filter every 25 hours or so. This repair was 500.00. 1100 miles the idle bearing on the CVT fails requiring another 100.00 in special service tools to change a 40.00 part.

Camo 570 Polaris rear bumper cracked at 600 miles no rear impact. Engine dropped intake valve (cracked stem ) at 100 hours and 1011 miles. Damage to piston, and head cylinder was replaced as well due to excessive wear. This unit is also getting new air filter, oil and full fluid change every 25 hours. This repair was 1200.00. As someone who has done a fair amount of repairs these failures are unacceptable and would caution you to only look at Honda or Yamaha as the upfront cost is higher but you will spend less time working on it and more time riding it. All repairs have been done by myself and there is a ton of cost cutting etc ie plastic and parts that while not designed to fail are made to the lowest cost.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Our 2015 Sportsman 570 has electrical issues including intermittent starter drag, EPS failure which can be cleared by stopping and restarting the unit. Our most local dealer had our ATV for 31 days and we got it back, unloaded it off the trailer, drove it for one mile and all failed again. They then replaced the rear transmission solenoid to no avail with all the same failures today. The bill was over $400.00 and I have the same issues. Now the unit makes a loud popping noise that emanates for the left rear during left turns. I have a medium sized cattle operation and rely on ATVs to do much of the field work. I do not recommend anyone purchase a Polaris product due to the unreliable and disappointing performance. I shared my thoughts with many of the local and state cattle producers in our state.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Understand a life-long Polaris customer. I traded my 600 Sportsman off on a 2018 850 Touring. It has had multiple problems and most of them have been fixed but there are two major problems Polaris does not have a fix for. The exhaust gets extremely hot on the right side of the machine when you're running it and it's very uncomfortable on your right leg. The Handlebar headlight long on there just down far enough to be useful light because it is not designed correctly for the bracket or the bezel the lights in. I have contacted Polaris multiple times and they have no fix for these serious issues. I've been told multiple times they will call me back and no one ever does. I made a phone call today and they promised me I would get a callback and explain what is going on or give me some kind of feedback. Guess what? I never got a call back again.

Polaris you're trying to reinvent the wheel on these new machines what they had working really well with the old machines they have redesigned and now it seems they have gone backwards in technology. In many ways I wish I had my 2004 Polaris 600 back. It was built by people who care about their jobs and they stood behind their machines. Today they completely free design in machine and before it's completely tested they send it out into the public for customers to find out what problems it has. People need to know what is going on and if you want to call my machine keep your old one and put some money in it. It seems in today's world you will get no support whatsoever once you spend a lot of money to buy a new machine. You're stuck with the problems it has and you're stuck with the company that will not back up the problems or help you in any way.

This is absolutely unacceptable and the reason I wrote this review. I will not ever buy another Polaris machine again because of how I ain't been treated. It's absolutely pathetic. They will tell you whatever they need to do to make you happy but they do not follow up on any promises whatsoever. I was also told I would have extended warranty because of the issues going on with this machine. None of that ever happened either. It's pretty sad many of the problems I had with this machine I had to come up with Solutions myself because Polaris didn't know how to fix it.

I'm starting to wonder what kind of Engineers they actually hire up there today. Let's reinvent the wheel on something that was already perfected and WORKED!!! I can assure you everything I have stated in this review is true and I'm trying to help others out there know the facts before they purchase and spend a lot of their hard-earned money on a machine that you will be stuck with.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Bought an 850 Polaris single up, brand new. First year had a parasitic drain on the battery. I took it back to the dealer 3 times to get fixed. Second year the transmission went. Had only 350 miles on it and I am flipping the bill on it. Worst thing I have ever bought. I will be contacting the BBB.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Dealership has had my UTV more than I have had it. The front differential is going bad but for some reason they can't figure it out. Both the rear axles went bad at 200 miles and they made me pay for them. Installed two upgraded axles and one is already bad.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have a 2016 Ranger Crew 900-6 EPS. I regretfully purchased the 5 year "warranty" when I bought the Ranger. My machine started "the rattle", coming from the front differential area, at around 60 hours. I took it to the dealer and described the problem. They told me when I dropped it off that they didn't "chase noises". Frustrated with this response, but not anxious to haul the machine over an hour away to another dealer, I decided to drive it, until it became more than a noise. Fast forward to around 200 hundred hours of primarily dirt road riding... The noise/rattle/vibration has me scared to get far from home. I talked with my brother, who has essentially the same machine, and problem. His rattle started with less than 20 hours on his Ranger, and he was told by the dealership that they would replace the entire front differential, if it got worse (he also purchased the useless warranty).

I decided to take my Ranger to the same dealer and give them a try. When I dropped it off, and spoke with the mechanic and service clerk, they said they would give it a look, but were familiar with the issue. They also said they might have to replace the entire front diff, but that the problem was likely to occur again, and that Polaris had a different front shaft on the new models to address this issue (does everyone else smell the same thing I do)? I also informed them you could grab the front yoke and actually see it move (side to side) on the front diff input shaft, but there was no sign of wear in the universal joints. After a few weeks I get a call with the news that the culprit is the universal joints and center carrier bearing (I forgot to mention earlier that I already spent $200 on the aftermarket carrier bearing, hoping that would solve the issue, but it did absolutely nothing).

They also said Polaris would not warranty the parts, or labor, because these were "wear items", but I could call Polaris and attempt to change their minds. They told me if I wanted them to do the work it would be around $500, and that changing the universal joints would solve the problem. I respectfully declined the offer. I'm not a Polaris mechanic, but if the yoke has play in the splines, then the problem is either the yoke, or the shaft, IMO. I gave the Polaris 800 number a shot, but after being on hold for 25 minutes without speaking to a human, I gave up for now, and I don't have much confidence it will do any good to call them. All I can say for now is this is ridiculous. I work hard for my money, and I take care of the things I buy with it, including the Ranger. Overall, I love my Ranger, but I have zero confidence in Polaris, or the five year warranty.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

A Polaris Ranger 800 that I bought has experienced an engine failure. It had to be rebuilt. It has only 868 hours on it. People discussing with the dealer (actually two different dealers) and others in the community; it appears that Polaris has had many problems with engine failures in the 800 model. They will do nothing about it. No coverage for parts or labor. I suggest one consider a brand other than Polaris.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

3 weeks ago we bought a Polaris Ranger 570 Crew 6 sitter and when we got it home and drive it there was a loud noise in the front differential. We had it 3 day and only drove it about 5 miles. It had 27 miles on it when we got it and it was brand new. We drove back to the shop and drove another one and it did not make the same noise. We could not trade it in they said because of paper work. They took it back to the shop and worked on it for 1 week and still was not able to fix it. They said for us to drive it until the 20 hour break in time and see if it was get better. The company that we bought it from was in touch with Polaris but they still said their was nothing they could do. We had a Polaris 500 side by side 2 person for 12 years and we loved it. That is why we bought another one but now we are not so sure. They are bringing it back tomorrow so we will see.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My Polaris Razor 2016 1000 4 Turbo has been a huge disappointment! As soon as I purchased it was on recall for 6 months and couldn't drive. The only offer from Polaris was to extend the warranty for 6 months...well should be a given since I couldn't drive it! Polaris sent out another advisory in March of 2016 and Expired Dec 31st of 2017. We were promised by the dealer we would get a fan to help resolve the overheating problem. This never happened as they say Polaris wouldn't step up to pay for it.

Keep in mind we only use this machine from May through October due to snow in Utah! It's now doing nothing but overheating on rides in the cool mountains and Polaris still won't stand behind a bad product! It's going to cost approx $500 to get a fan to make sure we are safe in this machine! LEMON!!! LEMON!!! LEMON!!! We had a Polaris 1000 4 seater prior to the turbo machine and never a problem. Can't express how disappointed we are with Polaris!

Original review: July 27, 2018

Do yourself a favor and do not purchase anything made by Polaris. Polaris makes a good product when it works but if there is any issues they will not stand by their product and will find any excuse to not honor their warranty. In October of 2016 I purchased a new 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS with extended warranty. In the spring of 2017 the ATV began overheating several times in several different riding locations/conditions and with different riders operating it. I took the ATV to the Polaris dealership and after they completed "diagnostics testing" they returned the ATV stating that nothing was wrong and that the issue was as a result of rider error only. Polaris advised me to continue to operate the ATV and return it if it overheated again.

Of course the ATV overheated again and the ATV was again taken back to the dealership. Ultimately they found nothing in their testing and returned the ATV to me despite the ATV recording 25+ overheating incidents. In June 2018 I picked up my ATV from the dealership who advised that they could not replicate the overheating issue so there was no issue to report and advised me to ride the ATV. Two days later my fiancé was riding the ATV and was on a hill when the ATV overheated again. Polaris ATVs go into "Engine Saving Mode" when they overheat which slows the engine and ultimately turns off the ATV. In this case the engine bogged down while she was on the hill and caused the ATV to turn sideways at the sudden loss of momentum and the ATV rolled approximately 6 times down a hill. The ATV was severely damaged and my fiancé was also hurt and required medical treatment along with missing time off of work.

I returned the ATV back to Polaris again reporting the overheating issue. Since they could not replicate the overheating issue during diagnostic testing they deemed that there was nothing wrong. To get them to believe me that it was overheating during normal riding conditions I drove around the dealership parking lot until it overheated. This coupled with the injury caused the Polaris engineering department to review the overheating issue. After 4 weeks of testing and pulling the ATV completely apart, Polaris deemed that there was no overheating issues as a result of their product despite the ATV now overheating 30+ times.

Again Polaris reported that the ATV overheated as a result of rider error and washed their hands of the case. To make things worse, Polaris instructed the dealership to make me pay to have the ATV put back together after Polaris pulled the engine apart during their testing. Since they didn't find any issues with the ATV I was to be billed for their testing. Ridiculous. Polaris falls back on the catch-all way out of "rider error". I can assure you the overheating issues are not as a result of rider error. Both my fiancé and I are experienced ATV users and neither of us has had any issues with overheating in the past. Our Sportsman is consistently the only ATV that overheats during group rides. No Polaris this is not rider error, the common factor in this is Polaris!

The customer service representatives are terrible as well. Their legal department representative had the audacity to tell me that the dealership could provide me with riding lessons to prevent this overheating issue from happening again. I have other ATVs, all with no issues, it's not rider error as he suggests. He also suggested that the dealership ride the trails with me to observe my riding style and that they can see the ATV overheat. I informed him that I suggested that to the dealership prior to the accident and they would not do that. He responded by saying that Polaris can't force dealerships to do so and since it’s not a policy Polaris won't take ownership that not all troubleshooting measures were exhausted.

Long story short is don't purchase anything Polaris. My ATV is destroyed with only 600KM on it and I'm left to pay off 10k for an ATV I can't use. The internet has several complaint forums like this with several users report the same issues. Clearly Polaris has some engineering flaws that they are unwilling to address. Do yourself a favor and keep driving past their dealerships when considering purchasing an ATV of SXS.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I bought a new 2017 Sportsman 450 H.O and I had a few problems even though it was brand new. First the axles were defective, second my engine mounts needed to be replaced, third my radiator was defective so it was leaking coolant. They fixed everything because it was within the 6 month manufacturer warranty. Now I have a defective voltage regulator, I went through 3 batteries so I took it to the dealer but they're only replacing the part, not the labor nor the diagnostic fee. Basically I was told I have to purchase the extended warranty for it to Cover anything on it. I told the lady that in other words they really only guarantee the machine to be good for 6 months and after that they expect it to have problems. She didn't say anything. I'm so disappointed with Polaris! I should of gone with Can-Am but now I know not to make the same mistake and buy another Polaris!

Original review: May 29, 2018

I bought my Ranger 900 Crew on November. Made all the necessary maintenance procedures. When I took it to the shop because it wouldn't start they told me that the engine ingested dirt even though the filter was in perfect condition. Now I have to replace the engine. NEVER AGAIN BUY POLARIS.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Polaris 2018 570 Sportsman - I had 5 MILES on this model and a fuse went out - Power Steering didn't work. So had to haul it back to town to have a fuse replaced and the computer reprogramed! Now there is a wrench sign and an hour glass sign that comes on when you start it. Back to town - again - 80 miles on it. I am 40 miles from the nearest dealer and trying to use this ATV while calving. VERY UNHAPPY!!! From reading other reviews, I guess I'd better purchase the extended warranty.

Original review: April 18, 2018

The front differential and front axels on my 2016 Polaris 570 crew went out. We had bought the extended warranty and the people went out of their way to cover all of the expense for replacing all the parts and labor. This is my second Polaris and it won't be my last. Great job.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Have always owned Polaris ATV's and had alright performance, but they were a good ranch vehicle that could take more abuse than the other brands it seemed. Over the past 10 years though, they are getting cheaper built for more money. Polaris thinks so "highly" of their piece of ** new ATV's. They only give you a 6 month warranty, which seems about right as in the 7 month things seem to fail! Right now I have less than 300 miles on my 2017 Polari 570 EPS Utility Edition and have owned it a total of just over 7 months. It spits and sputters, even after having it into the dealership for the problem on not just this one, but also the 450 model I also purchased new at the same time. Blame was placed on the spark plugs, they were replaced, but are doing the same thing still, with no answers.

Also I ranch, so my machines are used around cattle and at calving time we use them to bring in animals that have calved. Been using the machines this way for over 20 years with very few issues. My brand new machine was tooling along bringing a mama and her baby, and the POS plastic throttle lever snapped!!! I am finding out this is an issue many are having and Polaris has been made aware of the issue, but don't bother to do anything, just ignore this faulty part on the machine. Also when I went to replace it, they have now installed specialty 5pt security Torx screws so you either have to purchase the correct bit, or take it to your dealer for about a 5 minute replacement job which will cost 50 to 100 service call depending on the dealer!

Also the front lid/box area, which wasn't needed to being with, has a piece of ** plastic hinge that and bracket that WILL break at the slightest bump from anything, especially in the cold climate I live in. Probably alright for a city slicker, who trail rides a groomed trail on the weekend, but for a working man this design is CRAP!!! Had a mama literally just bump the side of it and broke it pieces, now being held on with just some bungee straps until I have time to fix it. There is really no "front end" on the machines any longer, just a plastic shell for un-needed storage, crappy light plastic lid with a **7-inch plastic hinge!!! What a piece of junk in my opinion.

Let's not forget the location of the batter underneath mounted down by the frame off the ground where ALL the mud and snow can gather ALL the time. Also it is not accessible very easy and makes for an unpleasant job unlike where they used to be mounted, under the seat, you know where everyone could access and/or replace them without the headache of what has been created now! Nice job Polaris engineers with fancy degrees who probably don't even ride or work outside with the machines they are designing!

This brings me to the oil filter and drain plug! Wow Polaris, nice ** on this one! You can see the filter, but you can't touch it or get to it. I had to actually order a filter socket to use with an extension to access this remote filter, again down under the damn machine in the mud and everything else, to remove it! Then there is the drain plug, had to again order in a hex head socket, put on an extension, and then go up through a small access hole in the frame to reach it. Let's just say, I don't own a damn ATV lift, never needed one, and this is a pain in the butt to do now as well as making a huge mess in comparison to the old models with the filter and plug accessible from the side of the machine. Was about a 10-15 minute job and done... but NOT anymore, took me about an hour to complete it and was not a positive result!

So that is just the things in the short 7 months of ownership of this Piece of ** that Polaris is now selling and I will not be purchasing another machine from them in the future. I liked the Yamaha's I looked at when buying this one, but couldn't make a decent deal to trade in my 07 Polaris, wish I would have just taken the hit, and did it now. I will really be looking in the next few years at the other brands and hopefully I can find something I like. It's a damn ATV, and all this electronic, plastic, fancy rim, sleek, and "pretty" crap ISN'T needed nor wanted by most who actually use these machines for work!

That's my rant, and my advice to anyone looking at purchasing a new machine is: "DON'T PURCHASE A POLARIS of any kind, find a different brand with better customer service and backing. At the time, Kawasaki was offer a pretty good warranty with 1 yr, nobody else was offering that unless you purchased an additional 6 months! Take care, and steer clear of POLARIS if you can!

Original review: March 24, 2018

A real LEMON. My son bought me a brand new 2016 Polaris RZR 1000 to use to ride around the farm and check fence. I am almost 60 years old and a grandmother. I rode this ATV easy and had Polaris change the oil and service it. It has a mere 40 hours on it. The engine blew up for no apparent reason. The Polaris mechanic stated the cylinders were very tight in the engine and appeared to be bored that way. Polaris is refusing to stand by their product because they say it's out of warranty. They won't help even though their mechanic states the engine wasn't exactly right from the factory. It will now cost us $4500 to replace the engine. What a horrible company that doesn't stand by their products. This ATV has also had several recalls that we had to take to Polaris Company to fix. From what I read, Polaris is financially in trouble from all the issues with ATVs catching fire and recalls, lawsuits. Anyone else with engine problems?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

As of Tuesday January 30th my 2017 is in the shop for the 4th time since buying it in November of 16. I am having the third rear axle fixed. As of day one Polaris didn't route and make the brake line long enough from handlebar to junction. So after 2 rides the brake line cut through the plastic coating. Polaris fix for this was to cut my plastics on a brand new 12k plus machine. Then right at my 25 hour first service time my left rear axle broke. Upon inspection with my 25 hour service they found both rear wheel bearings to be bad. Oh let me say as well it took me about 8 months to reach the 25 hours. So not like I was using it all the time. And I also bought the 5 year extended warranty. But Polaris tried fighting to have the bearings covered. As usual saying it must have been in a lot of mud and water. Sure I go through some minor streams and mud if it's been raining. But they show it doing all that on their website by the way.

So anyway, they did get the bearings and shaft covered. On first ride after repair the whole right rear side blew apart. Had to have new hub, caliper, rotor and other parts. No drive shaft. But then picked up yet again and only got 2 rides of maybe 2ish hours each and the right rear axle went. And picked up yet again. Then got about 1 two hour ride and about 10 minutes into a second ride and right rear axle went again. Hence why machine is at shop for its 4th fix. Polaris uses the same axles on my 1000 with 27" Viper tires that they do down to the 450. My 1000 has 90 hp. 450 has 44 hp. Hmmmm doesn't sound like smart thing to do to me. And brake line is now getting cut again. Because I had to take tie wrap off that they put on because the brake line is so short that it was starting to pull on my main wire harness causing my display to flash off and on.

Since taking tie wrap off no more issues. EXCEPT that brake line is getting cut again. I will say so far that I'm getting fixed under warranty. But how many more times will they keep fixing it. MAIN POINT NOW IS that all my issues on my 17 they fixed with the 18. Longer brake line that routes how should with proper slack. And other MAIN POINT is that they finally put stronger/better rear axles and bearings in. My dealership treats me well but that's also because I have bought 3 quads and 2 motorcycles from them. 3 of the things were in 16 months. My close friend buys the same amount from them as I have. BUT AT SOME POINT either the dealer or Polaris is gonna tell me they won't cover it anymore. So how many times is Polaris just gonna throw parts at it knowing that they built it all wrong. Won't admit it but it is admitted by all the fixes on the 18 I'm having with the 17.

And now my dealer probably won't take mine in on trade because of the problems. I'm 100% willing to buy the 18 LE Copper just like I have now. But my 17 is deemed a problem child now I'm sure. So I'm gonna be stuck with a problem child. I've had a 2011 Sportsman 800 ho and a 2015 850 ho so I am a loyal Polaris customer. But really looks like they Don't care about us loyal ones. Pretty crappy. Sad thing is I still have the 850 and haven't broken one thing on it. And it goes with me every time I ride. It has been through the same riding as the 1000. No BROKEN parts yet. WHAT IN THE HELL DO I GET FOR BEING A LOYAL POLARIS CUSTOMER? Not adding my receipt. But I am obviously a verified buyer of 3 Polaris products.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Receiving another letter Jan 14, 2018! After completing all the recalls and service on my 2015 900 Razor in 2016, because of injury and death pertaining to fire I just received another letter stating that the problem still exist. And the CPA is involved. What on Earth? Scary. Why are we still suppose to ride them. Don't you think it's time for a lemon law. NOW!

Polaris ATV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Polaris has been manufacturing recreational vehicles since 1954 and is known for its off-road innovation. Its extensive line of ATVs includes youth, utility and sport performance machines, designed to cover difficult terrain on the job or for recreation.

• Ranger series: Polaris’s Ranger series has multiple models of side-by-side utility ATVs. Riders can choose from a two-seat, full-size or Crew model. All models are built for rough terrain, farming and hunting. Ranger models can transport up to six people, carry up to 1,750 pounds and have engines ranging from 22-80 horsepower. Consumers can go online and look at the numerous models and features for each one. Pricing for the Ranger series is $8,999-$22,999.

• General series: Polaris built the General series as an all-around utility ATV that can handle any terrain on trails or a work site. Consumers can choose from multiple models in the premium, deluxe and four-seat classes of General ATVs. All models in the General series have 100 horsepower engines and can carry up to 1,100 pounds except the four-seat model which can carry up to 1,280 pounds. Consumers can check online for a full list of features and specs on each General model. Prices range from $16,299-$20,999.

• Sportsman series: Polaris has four classes of Sportsman ATVs: Recreation/Utility, Sport/Utility, Two-person/Utility and Mud and Sport. Each class has multiple models with differing features of general ATV use. Engine sizes range from 33-89 horsepower and payload capacities range from 290-575 pounds. The Mud and Sport designs all feature heavy-duty mud tires while the two-person design has a seat behind the driver's seat. Prices in the Sportsman series range from $5,999-$12,999.

• RZR series: RZR is a series of sport performance, side-by-side ATVs enhanced by over 200 Polaris-made accessories. There are five classes of RZR ATVs: Trail, Sport, Extreme, four-seat and Special Edition. Consumers can go online to look at details, features and specs for all RZR models. The RZR series price range is $10,299-$27,499.

• Polaris Ace series: Polaris Ace is a line of off-road ATVs with a single, centered seat like a cockpit. It is meant to have the comfort of a side-by-side and the handling of an open-seat ATV. The Ace series has four models: the Ace 500, 570, 570 SP and 900 XC. Each model comes with Polaris-designed accessories and upgrades. The Ace series sells for $6,999-$12,999.

• Best for: consumers looking for many options in every type of ATV.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs