Polaris ATVs
1.73/5
  • 1 star
Based on 48 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Polaris ATVs

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

290 Polaris ATVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Receiving another letter Jan 14, 2018! After completing all the recalls and service on my 2015 900 Razor in 2016, because of injury and death pertaining to fire I just received another letter stating that the problem still exist. And the CPA is involved. What on Earth? Scary. Why are we still suppose to ride them. Don't you think it's time for a lemon law. NOW!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I am amazed at the bad reviews I’ve read. I currently have a 2001 Sportsman 500, 2015 Sportsman 570 Hunter, 2017 Sportsman 850sp, 2017 Sportsman 1000xp Hunter, and 2017 Scrambler 1000. Just sold a 2008 Sportsman 500 that I loved but ran out of room for. All of my newer machines have extended warranties although none have ever had to even go to the dealer for service. We travel up north multiple times a year and have had many family vacations always with our Polaris machines averaging over 400 miles a weekend. Like any off-road vehicle maintenance is key. I do all my own with factory Polaris products. If we ride for a full day and the dust is really heavy I will clean or replace the air filters before the next ride out. I track all of my maintenance through Polaris Ride Command App.

Very helpful app to have. My local dealer, Enfield Motorsports, who I’ve been dealing with since the late 1980’s always treats me right. I have owned all of the brands at one time or another and Polaris is definitely my all-time favorite. Don’t be fooled either, they ALL NEEDED TO BE MAINTAINED, no matter what brand. All brands will fail from abuse and neglect or lack of experience on the trails. Ride smart, have fun, know there is way more frequent maintenance than with your car, and have pride in your ride!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I have had a 2007 Ranger XP 700 that had a very very noisy rear end. A high pitched whine. I was told it is normal, if it breaks we will fix it. Very annoying. I then bought a 2012 Ranger XP 900 Limited edition. This machine was not bad at all. I just bought a 2017 Ranger XP 6 seater "North Star" 1000. I took it home and it has a very annoying grinding in the front axle. I took it back to the dealer and was told it is probably the carrier bearing (midship bearing) or the front differential. After a couple of weeks they said the carrier bearing is fine and it is just the front differential. They said it really is not that bad and if it ever breaks they will fix it. Being this is the enclosed cab with heat and A/C the noise is very pronounced. They said if they changed it I might get one that is worse???

I have been retired from Chrysler Corp.Engineering for quite awhile. I explained to the dealership that this was exactly why Chrysler went Bankrupted. Back in the 70's and 80's they used to let their customers test their vehicles and would not fix them except when they broke. They really had inferior vehicles when compared to the competition. I feel that Polaris is doing the same thing. The executives are probably hanging around and enjoying the profits. Trust me when things go wrong as they are now, they will be leaving Polaris with stock options and bonuses and leaving Polaris high and dry.

If their quality control is so bad they can not find a quiet front differential to keep a customer that just paid over 24,000 dollars happy They are in BIG TROUBLE. I will be buying other side by sides but NOT POLARIS. I have talked two of my neighbors out of buying a new Polaris. There are a lot better machines out there. Oh I did call the 1-800 Polaris number to talk with customer service. What a JOKE. I am DONE WITH POLARIS.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Don't buy anything from Polaris! I made the mistake of buying a 2015 Ace 570 brand new. At 90 miles the drive belt came apart. They said warranty won't cover it because I abused the machine. At 200 miles and 40 hours the engine started smoking and knocking. I was told the engine ingested something. Could need a new motor for $5500 and the dealer wanted $600 upfront to even look at it! The ACE is extremely poorly designed. The intakes are above the rear wheels. Stay away from water, dust, sand, dirt, mud and stay only on paved roads and the Ace will be fine. If you do to any Polaris what they show in their advertisements they will tell you it's abuse. Stay away from Polaris! I bought a Can-Am Outlander 850 and it blows away any piece of garbage that Polaris makes.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

2 years ago we purchased 2 Polaris Aces. They have less than 300 miles on them. This fall one of them overheated and stopped running. Dropped it off at a Polaris dealer. They could not believe what the inside of the engine looked like. In the meantime received a recall for this model saying do not drive until exhaust is fixed, it can cause heat to be pushed back into engine which can cause to overheat or start a fire inside the engine. Our engine is shot. Polaris will not fix this engine. Their reason was this machine is too old and out of warranty. You know you put out a bad product so do something about it. When you pay this much it should last longer than 2 years. I will never purchase any Polaris product again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Polaris ATV?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Bought a Phoenix in 2016. Have had problems with it the whole time. It's at the dealership in Ada Oklahoma along with 4 others same model. Also had extended coverage and they want fix it. Do not invest in any type of Polaris. They are worthless. Go to any dealer and notice how many new ones they have broke down.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My brand new 2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 started having issues at only 11 miles. Multiple engine codes flashing and running very rough. I took it to the dealer, and after several days they called me to let me know it was ready to go. However, when I got there, I was told that the problem was recurring, and they'd need more time to figure it out. A couple of days later I was told that the problem was an electrical arc, which was probably a factory defect, but the warranty wouldn't cover it because the ATV was wet and dirty. This repair cost me roughly $1000.00. It's now got about 50 miles on it and it's broken down again. I'll be taking it to a different dealer this time, but I'm not expecting much.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I bought a 2000 Polaris Magnum 6 years ago and nothing went wrong, only just recent the pull start ripped out, but we fixed that quickly. My dad recently bought a Polaris Sportsman 2017 570 and 3 out of the 4 tires popped and we only had it for a month, we bought plugs for it. We might just buy aftermarket tires. I know for a fact it’s the tires because we usually have like 5 four wheelers all riding the same trail, can an Outlander 570 2017 and Yamaha 1999 350 and none of other tires popped. Only my dad’s Polaris Sportsman 570 2017. Also when he goes over 40 on the road his steering wheel starts wiggling dangerously. Otherwise it’s doing really well.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I own a 2014 Polaris 6x6 Ranger side by side RV. The complaint I have concerns a VERY dangerous condition that Polaris is very much aware of and chooses to ignore. The park brake they have installed on these machines is absolutely a disgrace and needs to be addressed. Simply put---they don't work. I have spoken with several dealers about this and they all say the same thing, Polaris refuses to take any action to fix the problem. There is an aftermarket brake pad available, however it isn't worth the $100 I have paid twice to have installed. I have called Polaris and expressed my concerns, their answer was they take complaints from the dealers and correct them based upon dealer input. This isn't true as two different dealers gave me the Polaris number to complain to, and stated they were not able to get any satisfaction from the mfg and asked me to call and complain.

Well I have had enough. Anyone interested in joining me in a class action suit against Polaris over this safety issue, please join in before someone is injured or killed. This is total crap and any jury in the world will agree, there is no excuse in this day and age to put a vehicle forth without the means to stop it from moving forward or backward safely. This thing takes off down a hill with children inside or hurts someone there will be hell to pay. Everyone with a machine such as this has the same problem and it needs to be addressed properly.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Bought new 2017 RZR 1000 plus 5 yr extended warranty. Went over a hole in the trail. Weld broke on from arm and took out $1400 worth of front end parts. Polaris said it was operator error overloading of front suspension. All that from a dealer photograph of the broke part. Wouldn't even listen to a tech that was there when it happened. What good is their warranty? Very poor customer service, warranty is worth nothing. I'm looking into getting my $ back. Seems from all I've read they are not willing to stand behind anything. Soon as it's fixed it's gone. Never again will I buy one of their products.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I’ve been reading a lot of the reviews on here about Polaris and they are all terrible. First thing is first every ATV has problems. I’ve grown up around Honda, Yamaha, and Arctic Cat. And I can tell you they are all great. But they all have problems too. Yamaha kept having driveline issues, Arctic Cat always overheated, and two of my friends had Hondas lock up on the one was the motor and one was the trans. I currently own a old three wheeler and a 08 sportsman 500 ho. Both are amazing. Everything can be good to you and everything can be bad.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I have a 2015 Sportsman, and I started having electrical issues, it had 62 miles on it. I have taken it to two different dealers and they can't fix it. I have been trying to trade it in, but I can't get anything for it. Polaris will not stand behind it and help me trade it. I do have an extended warranty but they won't put new parts on it till they can verify that is the bad part. Not worth the problems. Stay away.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Polaris ATV 2013 - Ranger has plastic guard in front of aluminum radiator, ignition switch shot. Oil filter came off twice. The second time ruined machine. Why did the oil filter fall off? Faulty sealing rubber gasket Polaris says my fault. How can even an inexperienced kid can change one? So who is paying for a new engine? Not Polaris. Now it will be a 11k$ piece of scrap I can't afford to fix. I'm on a fixed income SSI only. Thanks Polaris for no help or consideration.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I purchased a Scrambler 1000 in 2016. The first time I rode it. The gear lever got stuck in gear and wouldn't come out unless I turned off the machine. When I took it in. It was inside the first 6 months so the warranty covered it. As soon as I got it back. It did it again. And I had to return to the dealership again. This time Polaris replaced the entire part. Fast forward my unit now has 80 hours on it. And it started doing the same thing. Getting stuck in gear. And driving on its own. Took it in. Had it repaired. Contacted Polaris about it. And they refused to fix it since it was outside of 6 months. Ended up costing me $1200. I won't ever buy another Polaris. Even the dealership told me. If it wasn't for Polaris they wouldn't have a maintenance department. Let that sink in. DONT BUY POLARIS!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My daughter and son were riding in my yard on the brand new Polaris 570 Sportsman I had purchased March of 2017 and the motor blew. When I took it in for warranty was told that it was fully submerge in water. I told them, “No. It was not. It only has 23 hours on it,” so I will be getting a lawyer and suing Polaris. If anyone else has had this told to them this is Polaris mo. They have the dealers make it look like your vehicle ingested water or mud so they do not have to fix it.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I recently purchased a 570 Sportsman, it only has 450 miles on it, it's already in the shop with a blown motor. Polaris claims water and dirt got into the motor, sounds like a faulty seal around the air filter casing. They refuse to honor the warranty, got a hold of the Attorney General for Pennsylvania filing a claim with the lemon law.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I purchased a 2015 RZR Polaris 170 youth model. So far since I purchased the machine it has had to be in three times for recalls. All three of which were DO NOT RIDE recalls. I have had to twice drive 120 mile round trip due to where I live in order to take the machine in for the recall repairs to be done. The dealership is amazing, but dealing directly with Polaris on any issue leaves much to be desired. I recently called them about getting some kind of compensation even in the form of the $250 voucher they have sent out to other people for similar issues. The response was that Polaris was not giving vouchers to those who bought youth models. Their excuse of course is that the parts were readily available.

First they told me that it was because it was not a "Do not ride" recall. When I gave them the VIN of my machine, of course they found it. Their tone soon changed to, "The parts are readily available and that is why we are not giving out vouchers." "Yes" "Yes" it is my fault for living a good distance away from a dealer, however, they should stand by their product, not just in the sense of replacing the parts that fail, but how about making the customer feel like they made a good investment in their company? I do not feel that way and I own two RZR's not to mention many in my family own RZR's as well.

The bottom line is, if you do not spend more than $10,000 with them you do not and will not matter in the customer satisfaction sense. They do not care about their product, they care about their bottom line. They gave out vouchers to their customers that bought 900 models, their top selling model. They sold and recalled over 130000 of these machines, so compared to 16800 units affected in the 170 category, it makes sense that even if the lost 16800 customers they would probably make it. Like I stated before it's a bottom line, and in this certain case I haven't lined their pockets enough to deserve the respect as a valued customer for $250. Which would actually only give me $50 that I didn't already spend on fuel and my time driving to drop the machine off. Needless to say, it is the straw that broke the camel's back. I would not and will not purchase another item from Polaris, nothing. I would much rather at this point ride a Honda.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Purchased a 2016 RZR 900 EPS back in June 2016. I took this vehicle for fun in different places where mud and sand were present. Due that fact, I was very anal about cleaning the pipes, air filters and air boxes to make sure the engine was well taking care. Oil changes and maintenance was followed even closer than stated in the manual.

After ONLY 865 miles the engine broke and one of the piston's bearings went lose and caused a mess in the engine. Due the treatment I gave to the engine, I am sure it was not due to water, mud or sand ingestion as they claimed when I assured them it was accurate to state that the oil pump caused the issue and then claimed a good faith warranty. Neither the POLARIS CSR or the dealership rep/mechanic supported me and actually told me the engine was "too clean" and seemed that somebody (me) cleaned before. I had nothing to hide (engine was out of warranty) but still POLARIS denied my "good faith" claim after assuring I was responsible for the damage.

POLARIS: You and I know you have had problems with your oil pumps and it’s not the first time it happens. Probably it was not the pump but I assure you it was not due any type of ingestion. It’s a shame you treat your customer like this. You lost me as a customer and everybody surrounding me will know this history. Good luck!

Original review: July 13, 2017

I bought a BRAND NEW Polaris Slingshot from Rocky Mountain ATV in Helper Utah in March 2017. It was brand new, off the show room floor and I paid cash. Since then, the Slingshot has literally been in the shop at AD Triple S in Ogden Utah for over 2 months. I have been able to put on 125 miles, of which 60 was driving it home from the dealership. It had a cracked oil pan which was on back order for over a month and they still cant figure out what is wrong with the stereo. I don't blame the dealership, I blame POLARIS. I have personally called the customer service line at Polaris and received nothing but HORRIBLE customer service. They do nothing! I will be filing a lemon law lawsuit shortly. Polaris use to be the Gold Star. Not anymore. I refuse to buy anything Polaris made.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I bought a 2015 Polaris razor. It was in the shop more than I got to ride it. They would not cover it under their so called warranty. Everything broke including battery went bad, bolts fell out, wheel fell off engine, light stayed on. They couldn't fix it. Time after time they tried to fix it then they said they wouldn't warranty it anymore even though it was still under warranty. Biggest piece of junk I ever bought. I bought a Honda. It's what you would expect from Honda. Great designed machine. I love it! You've been warned. Don't buy Polaris. It's junk!!!

Original review: July 6, 2017

Purchased a new 2015 Polaris Ranger 570 mid-size in August 2015. Used around the farm for light duty farm work and well-maintained. Driving down the driveway at about 30 mph and the piston rod went through the side of the block. The oil level is fine and no apparent reason for the failure. The short story is: Bartlesville Cycle Sports in Oklahoma said it will cost over $6000.00 to fix it. Polaris won't stand behind it. I now own a $10,000.00 paperweight. PLEASE shop around before you spend your hard earned money with this company. Polaris will NOT stand behind their products. This thing is less than 2 years old and has never been abused. Read the reviews...these people are not lying and it's a very expensive lesson to learn. I personally will have to suck it up, fix it, and then I'm selling it to the 1st fool that will get it off my property. I will never purchase another Polaris.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Just paid $10,000 for the Ranger 570. Took our first ride. Should have test drove it. The engine heat is so bad that I can't begin to stand riding in it on the passenger side. It holds 3 people and I think it will be terrible for the middle rider. How is it ok to sell something that creates such heat for the user? What is wrong with Polaris engineers that they think it's ok. Several Polaris have been recalled for heat but not this one. Definitely not happy with this pricey purchase.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Bought a new RZR 800 July 2014 with extended warranty good till July 2019. October 2016 took it in to dealer for dust ingestion visible on inside of intake tract 16hr 30 min and 233 miles on machine. Polaris denied warranty claim. June 19 2017 had machine back in dealer with 16hr 48 min on it 236 miles. Oil on dipstick was reading high and smelled of gas badly. Polaris denied any issue, blames me for not changing the oil. Yet the break in period is 25hr and I only have 16hr 48min on machine. Stay away! from Polaris they don't honor their warranty...

Original review: June 27, 2017

I bought a 2015 Ranger 570 EPS Full Size new in April 2015. With 2000 miles on it I just installed a new engine. I am selling the Ranger and buying a Honda. I liked the Ranger and promoted it - great utility and trail machine. Adequate power. I had a snow plow and it worked great. Because I failed to replace the air filter, the engine sucked in sand and dirt - destroying the engine. Admittedly my fault, however, with a plugged air filter I fully would have expected the engine to fail to run. Instead, per the Polaris mechanic, the engine simply sucked dirty air in around my filter. In my opinion a defect in the filter system.

With a lot of hassle, the dealer was able to get Polaris to give me a $660 credit. Not bad, but because they refused to acknowledge any responsibility and made the process difficult, I am not happy. The only other negatives - the machine is loud at anything above slow speeds, and the cab seems to suck in dust from every direction. I owned two Honda ATV's for 12-14 years, 4,000 miles and never had a problem, and might have once replaced the air filters. I am buying a Honda.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I bought a 2015 ranger full-size crew from the dealer in 2016. It was a demo, with 100 miles on it. I used it very little 'cause it was late in 2016 and cold, but did use it for 1 hr to pull kids around with tubes. Wasn't impressed with the power, but did ok, but when I checked the oil after putting it away, it was 1.5 quarts low. I was told to change it by the dealer. I reminded them that they just changed it when I got it, but did as told. It takes 45 miles and it's almost empty, it's out of warranty and needs a upper end rebuild. That I have to pay for, not buying another Polaris again... There have been more issues like not starting when below 20 degrees. And grease zerks not taking grease.

Original review: June 12, 2017

2016 Polaris Ranger 900 XP - First of all I do not work and never have for Polaris. I live in Mississippi. I was scared to buy Polaris because of all these crazy reviews but I know that Polaris is the most abused vehicle of all the UTVs made, you should not get mad at Polaris for making a great vehicle when you abuse it so badly. I have had two Polaris is so far and they both have been incredibly hard-working machines for me, but I do not drive my Polaris or any other vehicle through the middle of rivers or through the middle of the lakes full of water and expect them to function normally, we have rivers and lakes where I live but I have boats for that. When I get on my tractor or in my car or my truck I do not punch the accelerator all the way to the floor. I have been in the rain, in the mud and snow, gravel, sand, pool, hills with a trailer load, a post, build bridges and how many things. I don't have a problem with Polaris. They are good vehicles.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I got a recall letter for my 6 month old RZR 900 side by side for a possible faulty master cylinder. I called Polaris to see if they would pay to have it hauled to the dealer and back after the warranty work was done. All I got was the runaround. It's their mistake why should I have to waste my time for their mistake. Well needless to say that don't care about my time. Last Polaris I will ever own.

Original review: June 2, 2017

On May 26 I brought my 2016 Ranger High Lifter to the dealer for a check engine light with the code 520344. According to the dealer the engine ingested dust and needed to be rebuilt/replaced. They told me when I changed the air filter I didn't secure it properly allowing dust to get into the engine. This Ranger has 80 hours on it and the air filter was just looked at by another dealer. I really think the problem is that the snorkel is pointing towards the rear of the cab and when traveling down dirt roads it acts like a vacuum and sucks in dust, obviously the filter is not completely preventing dust from getting in the engine causing damage to the rings and cylinder. Bad design but regardless I'm paying $6500 for a new engine!! Also I have a extended service plan I paid $2000 for that won't cover this! Useless!! It's through Extreme Powersports.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I have a Ranger 570... new in 2014. Brackets failed and roof blew off. Polaris refuses to make it right so I have to pay for another roof. Now... Let's see how Polaris will ACT IN SMALL CLAIMS COURT. I will keep all posted here. WARNING DO NOT BUY POLARIS... GOOD UNTIL THERE IS A PROBLEM BUT THEN YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

Original review: May 23, 2017

My 2007 Ranger is flashing a service code 5461. Neither owner's manual or service manual address the service lite on the dash. (Yellow indicator with wrench superimposed.) I called Polaris. I am told by the rep that the factory is unable to tell me what the code means and I must trailer into a service facility where it will be connected to a diagnostic computer. Really?!! Am I to believe the factory does not know how it's ECM is factory hard coded? Hardly. Sorry Polaris... no credibility on that one. PS, my Ranger is a well-built machine, durable, weather-tight, tough little machine. Frame & assembly are SAE fasteners halleluja. Service manual is so far excellent, just no mention of the service light.

Polaris ATV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Polaris has been manufacturing recreational vehicles since 1954 and is known for its off-road innovation. Its extensive line of ATVs includes youth, utility and sport performance machines, designed to cover difficult terrain on the job or for recreation.

• Ranger series: Polaris’s Ranger series has multiple models of side-by-side utility ATVs. Riders can choose from a two-seat, full-size or Crew model. All models are built for rough terrain, farming and hunting. Ranger models can transport up to six people, carry up to 1,750 pounds and have engines ranging from 22-80 horsepower. Consumers can go online and look at the numerous models and features for each one. Pricing for the Ranger series is $8,999-$22,999.

• General series: Polaris built the General series as an all-around utility ATV that can handle any terrain on trails or a work site. Consumers can choose from multiple models in the premium, deluxe and four-seat classes of General ATVs. All models in the General series have 100 horsepower engines and can carry up to 1,100 pounds except the four-seat model which can carry up to 1,280 pounds. Consumers can check online for a full list of features and specs on each General model. Prices range from $16,299-$20,999.

• Sportsman series: Polaris has four classes of Sportsman ATVs: Recreation/Utility, Sport/Utility, Two-person/Utility and Mud and Sport. Each class has multiple models with differing features of general ATV use. Engine sizes range from 33-89 horsepower and payload capacities range from 290-575 pounds. The Mud and Sport designs all feature heavy-duty mud tires while the two-person design has a seat behind the driver's seat. Prices in the Sportsman series range from $5,999-$12,999.

• RZR series: RZR is a series of sport performance, side-by-side ATVs enhanced by over 200 Polaris-made accessories. There are five classes of RZR ATVs: Trail, Sport, Extreme, four-seat and Special Edition. Consumers can go online to look at details, features and specs for all RZR models. The RZR series price range is $10,299-$27,499.

• Polaris Ace series: Polaris Ace is a line of off-road ATVs with a single, centered seat like a cockpit. It is meant to have the comfort of a side-by-side and the handling of an open-seat ATV. The Ace series has four models: the Ace 500, 570, 570 SP and 900 XC. Each model comes with Polaris-designed accessories and upgrades. The Ace series sells for $6,999-$12,999.

• Best for: consumers looking for many options in every type of ATV.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.polaris.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use