Polaris ATVs

Compare ATVs

Research top ATVs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I recently purchased a 570 Sportsman, it only has 450 miles on it, it's already in the shop with a blown motor. Polaris claims water and dirt got into the motor, sounds like a faulty seal around the air filter casing. They refuse to honor the warranty, got a hold of the Attorney General for Pennsylvania filing a claim with the lemon law.

I purchased a 2015 RZR Polaris 170 youth model. So far since I purchased the machine it has had to be in three times for recalls. All three of which were DO NOT RIDE recalls. I have had to twice drive 120 mile round trip due to where I live in order to take the machine in for the recall repairs to be done. The dealership is amazing, but dealing directly with Polaris on any issue leaves much to be desired. I recently called them about getting some kind of compensation even in the form of the $250 voucher they have sent out to other people for similar issues. The response was that Polaris was not giving vouchers to those who bought youth models. Their excuse of course is that the parts were readily available.

First they told me that it was because it was not a "Do not ride" recall. When I gave them the VIN of my machine, of course they found it. Their tone soon changed to, "The parts are readily available and that is why we are not giving out vouchers." "Yes" "Yes" it is my fault for living a good distance away from a dealer, however, they should stand by their product, not just in the sense of replacing the parts that fail, but how about making the customer feel like they made a good investment in their company? I do not feel that way and I own two RZR's not to mention many in my family own RZR's as well.

The bottom line is, if you do not spend more than $10,000 with them you do not and will not matter in the customer satisfaction sense. They do not care about their product, they care about their bottom line. They gave out vouchers to their customers that bought 900 models, their top selling model. They sold and recalled over 130000 of these machines, so compared to 16800 units affected in the 170 category, it makes sense that even if the lost 16800 customers they would probably make it. Like I stated before it's a bottom line, and in this certain case I haven't lined their pockets enough to deserve the respect as a valued customer for $250. Which would actually only give me $50 that I didn't already spend on fuel and my time driving to drop the machine off. Needless to say, it is the straw that broke the camel's back. I would not and will not purchase another item from Polaris, nothing. I would much rather at this point ride a Honda.

Purchased a 2016 RZR 900 EPS back in June 2016. I took this vehicle for fun in different places where mud and sand were present. Due that fact, I was very anal about cleaning the pipes, air filters and air boxes to make sure the engine was well taking care. Oil changes and maintenance was followed even closer than stated in the manual.

After ONLY 865 miles the engine broke and one of the piston's bearings went lose and caused a mess in the engine. Due the treatment I gave to the engine, I am sure it was not due to water, mud or sand ingestion as they claimed when I assured them it was accurate to state that the oil pump caused the issue and then claimed a good faith warranty. Neither the POLARIS CSR or the dealership rep/mechanic supported me and actually told me the engine was "too clean" and seemed that somebody (me) cleaned before. I had nothing to hide (engine was out of warranty) but still POLARIS denied my "good faith" claim after assuring I was responsible for the damage.

POLARIS: You and I know you have had problems with your oil pumps and it’s not the first time it happens. Probably it was not the pump but I assure you it was not due any type of ingestion. It’s a shame you treat your customer like this. You lost me as a customer and everybody surrounding me will know this history. Good luck!

I bought a BRAND NEW Polaris Slingshot from Rocky Mountain ATV in Helper Utah in March 2017. It was brand new, off the show room floor and I paid cash. Since then, the Slingshot has literally been in the shop at AD Triple S in Ogden Utah for over 2 months. I have been able to put on 125 miles, of which 60 was driving it home from the dealership. It had a cracked oil pan which was on back order for over a month and they still cant figure out what is wrong with the stereo. I don't blame the dealership, I blame POLARIS. I have personally called the customer service line at Polaris and received nothing but HORRIBLE customer service. They do nothing! I will be filing a lemon law lawsuit shortly. Polaris use to be the Gold Star. Not anymore. I refuse to buy anything Polaris made.

I bought a 2015 Polaris razor. It was in the shop more than I got to ride it. They would not cover it under their so called warranty. Everything broke including battery went bad, bolts fell out, wheel fell off engine, light stayed on. They couldn't fix it. Time after time they tried to fix it then they said they wouldn't warranty it anymore even though it was still under warranty. Biggest piece of junk I ever bought. I bought a Honda. It's what you would expect from Honda. Great designed machine. I love it! You've been warned. Don't buy Polaris. It's junk!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Polaris ATV?

Purchased a new 2015 Polaris Ranger 570 mid-size in August 2015. Used around the farm for light duty farm work and well-maintained. Driving down the driveway at about 30 mph and the piston rod went through the side of the block. The oil level is fine and no apparent reason for the failure. The short story is: Bartlesville Cycle Sports in Oklahoma said it will cost over $6000.00 to fix it. Polaris won't stand behind it. I now own a $10,000.00 paperweight. PLEASE shop around before you spend your hard earned money with this company. Polaris will NOT stand behind their products. This thing is less than 2 years old and has never been abused. Read the reviews...these people are not lying and it's a very expensive lesson to learn. I personally will have to suck it up, fix it, and then I'm selling it to the 1st fool that will get it off my property. I will never purchase another Polaris.

Just paid $10,000 for the Ranger 570. Took our first ride. Should have test drove it. The engine heat is so bad that I can't begin to stand riding in it on the passenger side. It holds 3 people and I think it will be terrible for the middle rider. How is it ok to sell something that creates such heat for the user? What is wrong with Polaris engineers that they think it's ok. Several Polaris have been recalled for heat but not this one. Definitely not happy with this pricey purchase.

Bought a new RZR 800 July 2014 with extended warranty good till July 2019. October 2016 took it in to dealer for dust ingestion visible on inside of intake tract 16hr 30 min and 233 miles on machine. Polaris denied warranty claim. June 19 2017 had machine back in dealer with 16hr 48 min on it 236 miles. Oil on dipstick was reading high and smelled of gas badly. Polaris denied any issue, blames me for not changing the oil. Yet the break in period is 25hr and I only have 16hr 48min on machine. Stay away! from Polaris they don't honor their warranty...

I bought a 2015 Ranger 570 EPS Full Size new in April 2015. With 2000 miles on it I just installed a new engine. I am selling the Ranger and buying a Honda. I liked the Ranger and promoted it - great utility and trail machine. Adequate power. I had a snow plow and it worked great. Because I failed to replace the air filter, the engine sucked in sand and dirt - destroying the engine. Admittedly my fault, however, with a plugged air filter I fully would have expected the engine to fail to run. Instead, per the Polaris mechanic, the engine simply sucked dirty air in around my filter. In my opinion a defect in the filter system.

With a lot of hassle, the dealer was able to get Polaris to give me a $660 credit. Not bad, but because they refused to acknowledge any responsibility and made the process difficult, I am not happy. The only other negatives - the machine is loud at anything above slow speeds, and the cab seems to suck in dust from every direction. I owned two Honda ATV's for 12-14 years, 4,000 miles and never had a problem, and might have once replaced the air filters. I am buying a Honda.

I bought a 2015 ranger full-size crew from the dealer in 2016. It was a demo, with 100 miles on it. I used it very little 'cause it was late in 2016 and cold, but did use it for 1 hr to pull kids around with tubes. Wasn't impressed with the power, but did ok, but when I checked the oil after putting it away, it was 1.5 quarts low. I was told to change it by the dealer. I reminded them that they just changed it when I got it, but did as told. It takes 45 miles and it's almost empty, it's out of warranty and needs a upper end rebuild. That I have to pay for, not buying another Polaris again... There have been more issues like not starting when below 20 degrees. And grease zerks not taking grease.

2016 Polaris Ranger 900 XP - First of all I do not work and never have for Polaris. I live in Mississippi. I was scared to buy Polaris because of all these crazy reviews but I know that Polaris is the most abused vehicle of all the UTVs made, you should not get mad at Polaris for making a great vehicle when you abuse it so badly. I have had two Polaris is so far and they both have been incredibly hard-working machines for me, but I do not drive my Polaris or any other vehicle through the middle of rivers or through the middle of the lakes full of water and expect them to function normally, we have rivers and lakes where I live but I have boats for that. When I get on my tractor or in my car or my truck I do not punch the accelerator all the way to the floor. I have been in the rain, in the mud and snow, gravel, sand, pool, hills with a trailer load, a post, build bridges and how many things. I don't have a problem with Polaris. They are good vehicles.

I got a recall letter for my 6 month old RZR 900 side by side for a possible faulty master cylinder. I called Polaris to see if they would pay to have it hauled to the dealer and back after the warranty work was done. All I got was the runaround. It's their mistake why should I have to waste my time for their mistake. Well needless to say that don't care about my time. Last Polaris I will ever own.

On May 26 I brought my 2016 Ranger High Lifter to the dealer for a check engine light with the code 520344. According to the dealer the engine ingested dust and needed to be rebuilt/replaced. They told me when I changed the air filter I didn't secure it properly allowing dust to get into the engine. This Ranger has 80 hours on it and the air filter was just looked at by another dealer. I really think the problem is that the snorkel is pointing towards the rear of the cab and when traveling down dirt roads it acts like a vacuum and sucks in dust, obviously the filter is not completely preventing dust from getting in the engine causing damage to the rings and cylinder. Bad design but regardless I'm paying $6500 for a new engine!! Also I have a extended service plan I paid $2000 for that won't cover this! Useless!! It's through Extreme Powersports.

I have a Ranger 570... new in 2014. Brackets failed and roof blew off. Polaris refuses to make it right so I have to pay for another roof. Now... Let's see how Polaris will ACT IN SMALL CLAIMS COURT. I will keep all posted here. WARNING DO NOT BUY POLARIS... GOOD UNTIL THERE IS A PROBLEM BUT THEN YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

My 2007 Ranger is flashing a service code 5461. Neither owner's manual or service manual address the service lite on the dash. (Yellow indicator with wrench superimposed.) I called Polaris. I am told by the rep that the factory is unable to tell me what the code means and I must trailer into a service facility where it will be connected to a diagnostic computer. Really?!! Am I to believe the factory does not know how it's ECM is factory hard coded? Hardly. Sorry Polaris... no credibility on that one. PS, my Ranger is a well-built machine, durable, weather-tight, tough little machine. Frame & assembly are SAE fasteners halleluja. Service manual is so far excellent, just no mention of the service light.

My fiance purchased a 2017 Polaris RZR 1000 4 Highlifter Edition for us on March 31, 2017. We already own a Polaris RZR 900 in which I switched the factory parts to Highlifter parts on it so we decided to pay the extra money on the 1000 with the belief that it already comes with the Highlifter parts. Throughout the entire buying experience, we were led to believe that the Polaris RZR we were purchasing was already upgraded with Highlifter parts. On our last riding trip we gently rolled the Polaris RZR 1000 over on to its side at a very slow speed while going through a mud hole. I then used the winch on our other RZR and gently pulled the Polaris RZR 1000 back over on to its wheels. Upon inspecting the Polaris RZR 1000 I found that the slow motion roll over had bent the lower A Arm on the front passenger side.

On the Monday morning after the riding trip, I contacted Highlifter knowing that they guarantee all of their parts. Upon speaking to the gentleman at Highlifter I was advised that none of the parts on our Highlifter Edition Polaris RZR are made by Highlifter. I was also informed that Highlifter only allows Polaris to use their design and Polaris makes the parts and then are permitted to label the machine as a Highlifter Edition. This being said I now know why the A Arm bent so easily due to it being made cheap by Polaris.

I will now be purchasing Highlifter brand A Arms to replace the cheap Polaris A Arms on the machine. I strongly feel that Polaris is using false advertisement when labeling these machines as a Highlifter Edition and not specifying that there are no actual Highlifter parts on the machine. Nor did the sales staff at the dealership where we purchased this machine at any point mention that the machine has no Highlifter parts. We will never again purchase a "Highlifter Edition" Polaris RZR nor would we of purchased this one had we known then that it does not contain any Highlifter parts. But unfortunately, we are stuck with it and paying for it so we will continue to replace any broken or bent parts with actual Highlifter parts.

Bought a 2016 Polaris 570 sportsman. I have ridden it a total of 4 times. I have 142 miles on it. Did not abuse or misuse it. Went riding and went through water puddle, it stopped moving. Had to wait 1 week to get it into shop. They first thought belt got wet and it turned out my clutch is rusted completely. I paid for a 2 yr warranty, was told this is not covered by warranty. Now I have to pay 1000.00 to have it fixed. Called Polaris they said that it sucked in mud and dirt, so it will not be covered. They show their atv's going through water. Their product does not work as it should. Going to get it fixed and then trade it. Don't want to take clutch apart every time I go riding and go through some shallow water or mud. Completely disappointed. Will never recommend Polaris to anyone. To me they are not willing to stand by product or warranty. Have read a lot of the reviews. I should have do that before buying it.

Save your hard earned money and buy a product that the manufacturer will stand behind. Read some of the reviews. After owning 4 Polaris machines through the years it is time to find a product that someone will stand behind. The Polaris Warranty is not worth the paper is printed on. Email customer support and they're not any help! It will be parked on my tow truck bed at a large off roading event here in a few weeks with lemons hanging from it and a huge sign for all to see off a Hwy on commercial property leading to the event. If I stop one person from buying a Polaris machine it's worth it!

I own a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO with over 2500 miles on it. I beat the crap out of it on the roads and trails and it's been a great ride... especially since I'm 285 lbs. I have rolled it 3 times and had to replace very little... (back rack 2 times... I feel it is inferior composition... a polypropylene composite that is not adequate for the impact it may receive)... However, the only other parts I replaced were a front A arm, 2 ball joints and a belt... all due to my aggressive riding. The few gripes I have are:

1. The advertised front OEM rack extender does not fit... and I could not get any refund.
2. The access panels suck... they droop on the side and do not stay up. Additionally the plastic around the high beam unit warps... seen this from many owners.
3. The Xenon replacement bulbs claim to be 50% brighter... that is a lie! And I received one broken upon arrival. Fortunately, the seller replaced it without any questions.

So would I purchase another Polaris ATV? Perhaps... barring some changes...

I broke both rear CV joints by jumping and not letting off the gas (my bad nothing like dirt bikes). Polaris gave me a voucher to cover one axle. Next ride, the front gear box tanked. After review, they replace both front axles and gearbox. Haven't had it out yet but appreciate what Polaris has done. Thank you

I purchased a new Ranger 570 full size 2016 in Dec of 2015. When I got back to the ranch and drove into a pasture the brakes locked up and I had to walk home. Took to dealer and they found the master cylinder was not adjusted right and fixed it. I use this very easy and at slow speeds less than 10 mph on my ranch feeding and checking cattle, it is properly maintained and cared for. The short 6 month warranty had just ended and two CVC axles went out, costing me about 400.00 and my labor. Now it is about 1-1/2 years old and wheel bearings are going out. This piece of equipment gets worked on more than any piece of equipment on my ranch, and it is the newest. I will sell or trade in for a different brand. This is a disgrace!

Bought 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV, big piece of garbage. Mechanical metallic knocking noise coming from engine when heated up, dealer says it is the engine starter flywheel catching on engine gear after heating up, requires engine tear down and complete rebuild. Only 9 hrs and 40 miles, half put on by the dealer trying to duplicate the problem. Big piece of crap, should have stuck to Yamaha or Honda. Once this POS is repaired I'm trading it in on a more dependable brand name. Polaris is doing nothing for me while I have waited a month already on the dealer to duplicate the problem. Polaris customer service sucks, horrible service.

I own a Polaris Sportsman 800 and Sportsman 850 and a RzR 800. I brought my Sportsman 850 into Polaris of Palestine an authorized dealer by Polaris. They said they would be able to fix the 4-wheeler in 2 to 3 weeks. I brought it in on or about January 15th of 2017 with a 4-wheel drive problem. Along with the 4-wheel drive they called me with a few other issues, and quoted $1500.00 and still about 2 to 3 weeks. It is now March the 27th and I have been calling the dealership for over a week. I decided to drive to the dealership and found my 4-wheeler completed disassembled and only one man there loading up all the inventory for Polaris Ind. The dealership will be closed today according to the information I was given.

Now I have a completely disassemble 4-wheeler and missing parts that could not be found, so I called Polaris direct hoping to get some help. Now granted the 4-wheeler is a 2009 model, but I have invested lots of money with Polaris. I own a Polaris 800, a 850, and a RzR 800 and have spend tons of money making the vehicles the way I wanted them. Polaris said there was nothing they could do, but they sure knew how to send trucks there to pick up their inventory. The representative said he could work with me if I wanted to purchase a new one which was fine with me, but the 4 wheeler I now own that more than likely will never be put back together due to expenses of missing parts. I asked what he could do, maybe expecting Polaris to at least sell me one at dealers cost, but no, he insulted the heck out of me by offering a $1,000.00 off suggested retail.

How can a company that had sales of 5.7 billion dollars in 2015 treat one their loyal customers this way. I can walk into pretty much any dealership and get $1,000.00 off. This was so insulting after the money I have put in their pockets to make such an insulting offer knowing it was one of their authorized dealerships that did this to me. Polaris didn't hesitate to send truck after truck to this dealership to regain their merchandise but also didn't hesitate to outcast what use to be a loyal customer.

My wife and I were considering another 4-wheeler but I can assure all it will not be a Polaris. I have heard many complaints about Polaris lately not standing behind their warranties but most of the time I thought it was the dealerships that were messing with the people, but now I am convince it is POLARIS. I am an extremely dissatisfied POLARIS customer and will no longer support POLARIS in any fashion. I am right now in the process of moving and cannot furnish receipts, but when I was on the phone with Polaris they confirmed who I was and confirmed all my other purchases.

Just purchased 2 brand new 2017 Polaris Sportsman 450. They look great, seemed easy to operate, so we were very excited. Well, the first real trip to the woods and one had the check engine light come on. It turned off after a few minutes so all seemed well. The night before our safety training class, one of them wouldn't turn over. I talked to the dealer the next day and decided to bring it to them since they are the experts, and they could look at the issue much quicker and easier. Turns out one of the engine mounts was broken. The service tech says it's a manufacturing defect. Well, isn't that nice! So we left it for them to fix. Today we rode for a few hours in the woods, taking turns. After a bit of riding the check engine light comes on and the machine is running very rough and keeps stalling. I only have 50 miles on it and maybe 6 or so hours, if that. I feel like just returning both quads and going to look at Hondas... very frustrated with Polaris at this moment!!

Have a 2016 Polaris Ranger runs great, haven't had any problems with it at all. Also have an older model Sportsman 500 runs good too. Only thing I've had to do to that is a clutch but it does have a lot of hours on it. My family has around 1100 acres so we put those machines through some stuff. Have a Can-Am Outlander also that rides smooth and is very comfortable to ride. Only unreliable ATV I've owned would have to be the Arctic Cat, I had nothing but problems with it. After I hit around 70 hours, it started having trouble starting, got that fixed then after it would warm up it would have trouble going into gear. Ended up trading it in on the Sportsman.

Bought a 2013 Ranger side x side. Unloaded it after it took all day to get it put together at the dealer. Ran it about 30 minutes. The throttle cable came apart. Stuck wide open. Got it killed. Took it back to dealer, Hattiesburg Cycles in South Mississippi. They kept it a month. Got it back then wheel bearings went out. Plus water pump seal. Kept it 3 months that time. Then got it back. Ran fine a while. Then carb started acting up. Flooding out by passing rings running motor hot. Been a POS since I got it. Sad to say. I'm sick of walking after I paid for a product that had a reputation like them. Sucks. I'll not buy another.

Purchased a new Ranger 570 Mid-Size UTV spring of 2015. At 1 year / approximately 60 hours of use, changed oil and filter, air filter (April 2016). Alabama drought in 2016, extremely dusty, UTV has never left property, except to get a recall work done. Sept. 2016 due to dust, changed air filter again. In December 2016 UTV began to smoke. Got worse in January 2017, found unit using oil. Took to dealer in Feb. 2017. Had purchased 3 year extended warranty on unit. Polaris denied repair claim due to dust injection into intake. Warranty is useless and Polaris fails to stand behind their product. Rebuilding engine is $2500 on a $10,000 unit less than 2 years old and only a future 30 day warranty on rebuilt engine. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON WARRANTY, POLARIS WILL NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY.

My 2016 rzr 1000 caught fire at Glamis in November of 2016. It was 8 months old. There was about 500 miles on it. Polaris did an investigation and said there was 2 oil filter O-rings on the filter, causing oil to leak out and catch fire. If anyone else has had this excuse given to you please contact me and maybe we can do something about the way Polaris is treating its customers. My rzr 1000 never had an oil change so I know it didn't have 2 o-rings!!! To try and appease me they gave me a 5000.00 dollar credit towards a new one but I was still out a lot of money. If you have a rzr catch fire and decide to start a class action, please count me in!!! Thanks.

We purchased 2 brand new 2016 Polaris Rzr 900s for our kids for Christmas 2015. Within 6 months we started having issues with both and by month 7 one of our engines completely blew with only 1600 miles on it. Polaris was involved in a class action lawsuit and had extended our warranty but still would not repair the machine. They stated Case denied. Polaris reps were very rude. Wouldn't let me speak to anyone in management and would not return phone calls. They looked for an excuse to deny our case. Said there was dirt on machine and in engine - yeah it broke down while we were riding a dirt road - we hauled it straight to be fixed. It's gonna be dirty!!

These machines are literally a piece of junk that we paid over 14K each for. Now we are stuck with paying 6K to fix one or just let it sit. Do not purchase Polaris ATVs unless you have plenty of time and money. Money to fix costly repairs - because they will deny claims - and time to sit and wait on repairs. Also don't count on actually getting to ride the machines - they will likely spend a lot of time in the shop.

Purchased two new 2017 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS from dealer. Both machines had shifting and idle problems. Returned to dealer with just a few miles on both. One machine was far worse than other and was unsafe to operate. Could not shift from a stop without applying excessive pressure to shifter and idles were set so high that the belt would engage and machine would take off. Dealer did warranty work on both and conditions improved but are far from performing as a new machine should. Or, performs much worse than the well used Honda and Arctic Cats I have. I have a Polaris Ranger that is a great unit which I highly endorse, but the sportsman were assembled poorly either by design or inadequate quality control on the line. Either way I have spent too much time working through the dealer and Polaris customer service to give a higher rating. There are much better choices out there.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Polaris has been manufacturing recreational vehicles since 1954 and is known for its off-road innovation. Its extensive line of ATVs includes youth, utility and sport performance machines, designed to cover difficult terrain on the job or for recreation.

• Ranger series: Polaris’s Ranger series has multiple models of side-by-side utility ATVs. Riders can choose from a two-seat, full-size or Crew model. All models are built for rough terrain, farming and hunting. Ranger models can transport up to six people, carry up to 1,750 pounds and have engines ranging from 22-80 horsepower. Consumers can go online and look at the numerous models and features for each one. Pricing for the Ranger series is $8,999-$22,999.
  • General series: Polaris built the General series as an all-around utility ATV that can handle any terrain on trails or a work site. Consumers can choose from multiple models in the premium, deluxe and four-seat classes of General ATVs. All models in the General series have 100 horsepower engines and can carry up to 1,100 pounds except the four-seat model which can carry up to 1,280 pounds. Consumers can check online for a full list of features and specs on each General model. Prices range from $16,299-$20,999.
  • Sportsman series: Polaris has four classes of Sportsman ATVs: Recreation/Utility, Sport/Utility, Two-person/Utility and Mud and Sport. Each class has multiple models with differing features of general ATV use. Engine sizes range from 33-89 horsepower and payload capacities range from 290-575 pounds. The Mud and Sport designs all feature heavy-duty mud tires while the two-person design has a seat behind the driver's seat. Prices in the Sportsman series range from $5,999-$12,999.
  • RZR series: RZR is a series of sport performance, side-by-side ATVs enhanced by over 200 Polaris-made accessories. There are five classes of RZR ATVs: Trail, Sport, Extreme, four-seat and Special Edition. Consumers can go online to look at details, features and specs for all RZR models. The RZR series price range is $10,299-$27,499.
  • Polaris Ace series: Polaris Ace is a line of off-road ATVs with a single, centered seat like a cockpit. It is meant to have the comfort of a side-by-side and the handling of an open-seat ATV. The Ace series has four models: the Ace 500, 570, 570 SP and 900 XC. Each model comes with Polaris-designed accessories and upgrades. The Ace series sells for $6,999-$12,999.
  • Best for consumers looking for many options in every type of ATV.

Compare ATVs