Polaris ATVs

Compare ATVs

Research top ATVs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Bought 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV, big piece of garbage. Mechanical metallic knocking noise coming from engine when heated up, dealer says it is the engine starter flywheel catching on engine gear after heating up, requires engine tear down and complete rebuild. Only 9 hrs and 40 miles, half put on by the dealer trying to duplicate the problem. Big piece of crap, should have stuck to Yamaha or Honda. Once this POS is repaired I'm trading it in on a more dependable brand name. Polaris is doing nothing for me while I have waited a month already on the dealer to duplicate the problem. Polaris customer service sucks, horrible service.

I own a Polaris Sportsman 800 and Sportsman 850 and a RzR 800. I brought my Sportsman 850 into Polaris of Palestine an authorized dealer by Polaris. They said they would be able to fix the 4-wheeler in 2 to 3 weeks. I brought it in on or about January 15th of 2017 with a 4-wheel drive problem. Along with the 4-wheel drive they called me with a few other issues, and quoted $1500.00 and still about 2 to 3 weeks. It is now March the 27th and I have been calling the dealership for over a week. I decided to drive to the dealership and found my 4-wheeler completed disassembled and only one man there loading up all the inventory for Polaris Ind. The dealership will be closed today according to the information I was given.

Now I have a completely disassemble 4-wheeler and missing parts that could not be found, so I called Polaris direct hoping to get some help. Now granted the 4-wheeler is a 2009 model, but I have invested lots of money with Polaris. I own a Polaris 800, a 850, and a RzR 800 and have spend tons of money making the vehicles the way I wanted them. Polaris said there was nothing they could do, but they sure knew how to send trucks there to pick up their inventory. The representative said he could work with me if I wanted to purchase a new one which was fine with me, but the 4 wheeler I now own that more than likely will never be put back together due to expenses of missing parts. I asked what he could do, maybe expecting Polaris to at least sell me one at dealers cost, but no, he insulted the heck out of me by offering a $1,000.00 off suggested retail.

How can a company that had sales of 5.7 billion dollars in 2015 treat one their loyal customers this way. I can walk into pretty much any dealership and get $1,000.00 off. This was so insulting after the money I have put in their pockets to make such an insulting offer knowing it was one of their authorized dealerships that did this to me. Polaris didn't hesitate to send truck after truck to this dealership to regain their merchandise but also didn't hesitate to outcast what use to be a loyal customer.

My wife and I were considering another 4-wheeler but I can assure all it will not be a Polaris. I have heard many complaints about Polaris lately not standing behind their warranties but most of the time I thought it was the dealerships that were messing with the people, but now I am convince it is POLARIS. I am an extremely dissatisfied POLARIS customer and will no longer support POLARIS in any fashion. I am right now in the process of moving and cannot furnish receipts, but when I was on the phone with Polaris they confirmed who I was and confirmed all my other purchases.

Just purchased 2 brand new 2017 Polaris Sportsman 450. They look great, seemed easy to operate, so we were very excited. Well, the first real trip to the woods and one had the check engine light come on. It turned off after a few minutes so all seemed well. The night before our safety training class, one of them wouldn't turn over. I talked to the dealer the next day and decided to bring it to them since they are the experts, and they could look at the issue much quicker and easier. Turns out one of the engine mounts was broken. The service tech says it's a manufacturing defect. Well, isn't that nice! So we left it for them to fix. Today we rode for a few hours in the woods, taking turns. After a bit of riding the check engine light comes on and the machine is running very rough and keeps stalling. I only have 50 miles on it and maybe 6 or so hours, if that. I feel like just returning both quads and going to look at Hondas... very frustrated with Polaris at this moment!!

Have a 2016 Polaris Ranger runs great, haven't had any problems with it at all. Also have an older model Sportsman 500 runs good too. Only thing I've had to do to that is a clutch but it does have a lot of hours on it. My family has around 1100 acres so we put those machines through some stuff. Have a Can-Am Outlander also that rides smooth and is very comfortable to ride. Only unreliable ATV I've owned would have to be the Arctic Cat, I had nothing but problems with it. After I hit around 70 hours, it started having trouble starting, got that fixed then after it would warm up it would have trouble going into gear. Ended up trading it in on the Sportsman.

Bought a 2013 Ranger side x side. Unloaded it after it took all day to get it put together at the dealer. Ran it about 30 minutes. The throttle cable came apart. Stuck wide open. Got it killed. Took it back to dealer, Hattiesburg Cycles in South Mississippi. They kept it a month. Got it back then wheel bearings went out. Plus water pump seal. Kept it 3 months that time. Then got it back. Ran fine a while. Then carb started acting up. Flooding out by passing rings running motor hot. Been a POS since I got it. Sad to say. I'm sick of walking after I paid for a product that had a reputation like them. Sucks. I'll not buy another.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Polaris ATV?

Purchased a new Ranger 570 Mid-Size UTV spring of 2015. At 1 year / approximately 60 hours of use, changed oil and filter, air filter (April 2016). Alabama drought in 2016, extremely dusty, UTV has never left property, except to get a recall work done. Sept. 2016 due to dust, changed air filter again. In December 2016 UTV began to smoke. Got worse in January 2017, found unit using oil. Took to dealer in Feb. 2017. Had purchased 3 year extended warranty on unit. Polaris denied repair claim due to dust injection into intake. Warranty is useless and Polaris fails to stand behind their product. Rebuilding engine is $2500 on a $10,000 unit less than 2 years old and only a future 30 day warranty on rebuilt engine. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON WARRANTY, POLARIS WILL NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY.

My 2016 rzr 1000 caught fire at Glamis in November of 2016. It was 8 months old. There was about 500 miles on it. Polaris did an investigation and said there was 2 oil filter O-rings on the filter, causing oil to leak out and catch fire. If anyone else has had this excuse given to you please contact me and maybe we can do something about the way Polaris is treating its customers. My rzr 1000 never had an oil change so I know it didn't have 2 o-rings!!! To try and appease me they gave me a 5000.00 dollar credit towards a new one but I was still out a lot of money. If you have a rzr catch fire and decide to start a class action, please count me in!!! Thanks.

We purchased 2 brand new 2016 Polaris Rzr 900s for our kids for Christmas 2015. Within 6 months we started having issues with both and by month 7 one of our engines completely blew with only 1600 miles on it. Polaris was involved in a class action lawsuit and had extended our warranty but still would not repair the machine. They stated Case denied. Polaris reps were very rude. Wouldn't let me speak to anyone in management and would not return phone calls. They looked for an excuse to deny our case. Said there was dirt on machine and in engine - yeah it broke down while we were riding a dirt road - we hauled it straight to be fixed. It's gonna be dirty!!

These machines are literally a piece of junk that we paid over 14K each for. Now we are stuck with paying 6K to fix one or just let it sit. Do not purchase Polaris ATVs unless you have plenty of time and money. Money to fix costly repairs - because they will deny claims - and time to sit and wait on repairs. Also don't count on actually getting to ride the machines - they will likely spend a lot of time in the shop.

Purchased two new 2017 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS from dealer. Both machines had shifting and idle problems. Returned to dealer with just a few miles on both. One machine was far worse than other and was unsafe to operate. Could not shift from a stop without applying excessive pressure to shifter and idles were set so high that the belt would engage and machine would take off. Dealer did warranty work on both and conditions improved but are far from performing as a new machine should. Or, performs much worse than the well used Honda and Arctic Cats I have. I have a Polaris Ranger that is a great unit which I highly endorse, but the sportsman were assembled poorly either by design or inadequate quality control on the line. Either way I have spent too much time working through the dealer and Polaris customer service to give a higher rating. There are much better choices out there.

Bought a supposed 2014 Polaris 570 razor but it's really a 7 of 2013. Didn't want a one-year old razor. Paid for paperwork fee 200. Paid delivery fee. Junk has 400 miles because leftover battery cell trash from day one. Now 403 miles later odometer 4x4. Gas etc out not working. Glad I spent 14000.00 on junk to get this thing safe and working. Nothing but junk for big dollars.

Purchased a Polaris from these guys in 2015. Service-wise they charge like a bull but had no complaints until I sent my vehicle in just 26 months after purchase. The vehicle has been on relatively light utility work but asked them to come to us (extra cost) as a bit concerned as it seemed to be making a funny noise. Handed the keys over and specifically asked the engineer to test drive it. Returned 90 minutes later no engineer, no note but service complete. Received a bill a couple of days later for £200 for the service. 3 days later, the vehicle literally ground to a halt on a Saturday afternoon at a shoot after traveling just a mile.

Mortons shut so called a local mechanic who is very respected and just happened to be the senior mechanic at the ATV dealership that they acquired a while back. He diagnosed total transmission failure but somewhat oddly virtually no transmission fluid in a vehicle that had been serviced in the past few days. Heat marks all over the transmission that either should have been spotted on the service or mysteriously occurred sometime after. Rang Mortons and was told as they hadn't attended (although they were closed so I was supposed to leave it in the field for the weekend) therefore they couldn't be sure that the reputable local agricultural mechanic was lying or had removed the transmission fluid himself!

They would call me back still waiting three months later. Transmission repaired elsewhere not giving these jokers £1500. Received a chase up today on their bill! Will pay but only after my promised phone call! Was telling this amongst a group of Norfolk farmers and they all looked at me and said should have bought a Kubota same price, better vehicle and good dealership. Lucky you, reading this.

I purchase a new Polaris 700 in 2005 and had it for 9 yrs and never had a problem. So in 2015 I sold my 700 and purchased a new 570 sportsman, that's when the problems began. When I first got it and rode it you could not stand the heat. The right side of the ATV was burning up. So now I have 20 hrs on the unit and it would not start, I take it to the dealer, and he tells me the woodruff key is bad. Even though the ATV had only 20 hrs on it was not covered by warranty. So I paid for it. So now I got 30 hrs on it and it quit running. I took it to dealer, he told me the fuel system was gone and would cost $1000.00 to repair. I traded the Polaris 570 for a Honda Pioneer 500. In almost one and a half years this Honda has never seen the dealer. I have no idea what happen to Polaris. This was a good company.

Have owned Polaris before but very disappointed with my recent purchase. Since purchasing this vehicle new I have had nothing but issues with it. First the starter burned out but fortunately this was covered by warranty. My last visit to the repair shop at 328 hrs level the battery had shorted out and front differential needed new seals and U-Joints and carrier bearings required replacement. The statement from the dealer was these went out because I drove in mud (I thought this was an off road vehicle). The power steering works less than 50% of the time and the dealership stated that was a common issue due to electrical issues and basically recommended I live with it. This vehicle is used on a cattle ranch and has very little off road use. Used mostly on gravel roads.

I told the dealership that the design of the vehicle creates a large amount of mud build up and they agreed but could sell me mud guards that should help for 500.00. Seems if they are building off road vehicle this would have been in the original design. Also bought a gun rack for $145 then was told it would require a floor mount which was an additional $89.99. Purchased a 750 windshield that is unusable due to the amount of dirt/grass it puts into the cab area. Was told if I purchased a rear window it might be better but not willing to spend any more money on this bad purchase. It is obvious that this is a poorly designed vehicle that is geared towards making you purchase expensive accessories to make the vehicle usable.

This review is about the 2016 Polaris Ranger 900xp limited edition camo. I purchased this machine new in February 2016. After 30 miles the machine was in the shop for a bad starter relay, kept blowing fuses. At 68 miles in the shop again for a bad TPS sensor and rough idle. The shop Absolute Motor Sports in Grants Pass, Oregon could not figure out how to fix the problem. I told them that the machine was a lemon and wanted it replaced. They said that there was nothing they could do and to contact Polaris corporate office.

Machine wash in the shop at 132 miles for another bad sensor and for the last time at 210 miles for a bad drive belt. I got rid of this machine after the last repair made at my own expense. In summary, these machines made by Polaris are complete garbage!!! Especially at the 17-29 thousand dollars that they price them at. They are nothing but trash!!! Buyer beware!!! You will get screwed out of your money and will have many headaches afterwards!!! Polaris is 100% garbage!!!

Bought a new Polaris Ranger 800 March of 2012, drove it for 1800 miles then the motor blew up, needed new pistons and rings not covered under warranty. Cost $1200 in repairs. Once fixed drove it until it 4,000 miles total then blew up again same problem. I then overhauled it myself. Cost me around 600 for parts, drove it until 7000 miles then traded it off for a 2015 Ranger 900p. Put 2000 miles on the 900 hundred and the front gear-case went out. Overall recommend a can-am Defender or Honda Pioneer 1000.

My father bought me a 2005 Polaris sportsman 400, and my brother a 2011 Polaris sportsman 400 H.O. and all I have to say is, stay away from Polaris. 1 month after riding, my brakes failed, so we got them fixed, then a month later, mine overheated... After 2 months the battery in my brother's died, so we got a new battery, then the next week, a fuse blew. Then we were trouble free for 3 months, until AGAIN mine overheated. Then the fuel pump in my brother's went bad after sitting for ONE MONTH... Then mine started to leak coolant, then my engine had a blown head gasket, and my brother's transmission broke. So we bought Suzukis, and we've had them for 5 months, with no trouble. So DO NOT BUY POLARIS!!! Stick with Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, or Yamaha. You won't regret it.

Oil seal came out on my Polaris 570 EFI. No light came on or low oil sensor showed up on dash of my four wheeler. I had purchased a 3 yr extended warranty. They denied my warranty. They said I didn't have a proper maintenance record that was supposed to be printed out. Now I'm still paying for a 4 wheeler and need a motor.

We bought a 2006 500 H.O used w/ 100 hours. We have now had it for 4 years. We pull big logs w it. Haul deer. We haul big trailers full of wood, normally have 3 for people on it at a time. (Farm use) We have not had to do anything to this atv besides put on a new caliper and regular maintenance like change oil. It's a beast. I have friends who have Hondas and arctic cats that are very impressed w/ my atv - it's a tank nothing can stop it. Well with the $3500 I paid for it.

I purchased the Polaris 900 EPS in April of 2016. Brought it back for service in June. In September it has 254 hours and engine failure. I purchased the extended warranty and they are denying the claim because the air filter was dirty!!!

Polaris Sportsman 570 Two-up. Multiple horrible design flaws. Most problematic: the seat mount. The back of the seat is kept located by two fragile plastic pins the size of a pencil. They break very easily with all the tossing side to side that a rider does on an ATV. The front of the seat is held by fragile metal bars that easily bend side to side. I had to build a custom rear seat-locator system out of angle iron, but the seat still wouldn't keep from side-to-side movement.

The right middle seat-post is supposed to rest on a piece of sturdy metal, but it got so hot the seat post melted and the seat post slipped off to the right. The seat post molded into the middle left part of the seat has a nice rubber foot on it intended to rest on a frame member, but IT'S IN THE WRONG PLACE AND DOESN'T REST ON ANYTHING! It just floats in space just left of the frame. The result of all this terrible design was the middle of the seat sagging and putting pressure on top of the engine and causing the fuel rail ($192 repair) to be crushed and squirt fuel all over the engine. I'm lucky I didn't catch fire.

Secondly, a rubber bungee strap is NOT a battery retention system. It's nearly impossible to keep hook number one in its slot while you stretch the band over the battery to latch hook number two. I had to build my own retention system with threaded rods, a metal top plate and wing-nuts. The hinge on the front hood is a tiny pin going through thin tabs of plastic molded to the hood. VERY fragile. I had to rebuild this area with a sturdy slab of steel and a metal hinge.

The 2nd passenger seat is comfortable, but there is nothing to lock the seat-back into the upright position. It is only held up by the person sitting in it. Otherwise it's just there flopping up and down. Not a critical problem, but stupid, annoying and indicative of the shoddy design work this vehicle is revealing to me daily. The plastic pins that are supposed to hold the side panels on are crap. They give you a special plier to pull them out with, but they almost always break when you do. You'll have to buy a bag of spare pins if you ever need to get into your engine area. I finally did away with them and went with metal bolts and wing nuts.

The side panels slide into place in the front, but the holes for the retention pins at the back of the panel are placed too far back on the vehicle. The result is that the panel won't stay located in its front groove. I ended up having to re-drill new holes just to keep the side panels tightly in place in their front groove. The overall design is lacking in sturdy lash-points. The truck-bed is cool, but the lash-points on the side of it are cheap plastic crap. I ended up having to put aluminum plates on a frame member behind where my foot rests and making a lash point there that I could trust with heavy loads. VERY UNHAPPY WITH THIS PRODUCT, AND WOULD REALLY LIKE TO TALK TO SOMEONE AT THE POLARIS DESIGN TEAM.

I bought a 2016 sportsman 570 sp and I've noticed after the first ride that my exhaust was very hot. I could feel it on my leg and even through the seat. One night after a short ride I noticed something glowing red under the bike. The whole exhaust pipe was bright red, the pipe is inches away from a coolant line and right under your gas tank. I know that my plastic will melt soon. It's happened to my friend. The dealer says it's normal but it's funny how they are facing a class action lawsuit over it.... Do not buy Polaris - you've been warned.

I recently purchased a 2016 Polaris ranger highlighter edition. I began using this utv under normal, as advertised conditions, off road, some mud and some water no deeper than 18." After only 2 tanks of fuel the belt slipped while riding off road and the utv began making a weird noise. I immediately loaded the utv on the trailer and brought it to a dealer. I was told that water had gotten in the belt housing and destroyed the belt and clutch and repair was $2000, and was not covered under warranty because of water damage. It was found by the dealer that the gasket came out of the belt cover (not properly installed at the factory) but I am still responsible for the bill!!!

I've own Polaris 2015, Polaris 570 sp efi, eps, ebs. I haven't had no problems other than the rear brake master cylinder being replace after a week I got it. It was under warranty. I paid nothing. I really think it depends on the dealer you get it from. Mine takes care of me. I now have 812 miles on it after one year. No broken axles. I only have it in four wheel drive when I need it. I have had it in deep mud, I do not abuse it, I keep my oil change every 300 miles on the engine, front axle 250 miles just because it only holds 8 oz. The rest is by Polaris recommendations, still running strong.

I purchased my Polaris GENERAL about 6 months ago. In that 6 months my reverse chain has broke 2 times from simply backing up! This vehicle costs roughly 18,000$. I shouldn't have to worry about it breaking every time I put it in reverse! This is a problem that needs to be fixed! Whether it's recalled or replaced for free! It's getting ridiculous!

Purchased a new 2016 570 sportsman last year. After 6 months the indicator started showing low voltage values, after driving through water, until the engine stops. The dealer could not fix. Polaris customer service said they never heard of the problem in 100K+ units and recommended taking it to another dealer. I've been treated like I'm making it up.

I have purchased a Polaris 570 four wheeler, and it is one year old. We've had nothing but trouble out of it and have spent over $1,200.00 on it in this past year. Seems to that Polaris is trying to "work out the kinks" on these 570s (AT THE OWNER'S EXPENSE). It is not fair that you give a big price for a piece of junk. Only a 6 month guarantee???WHAT??? THEY NEED A LAWSUIT AGAINST THEM.

Received recall June 28, 2016, Called Polaris. I don't have a trailer to carry my ranger to dealer. They said call Dealer. Called dealer Mid South Motoplex Clarksville TN. They want 300.00 to pick it up. Called Polaris support back. They replied get a buddy with trailer to carry it to have recall done or rent a U-Haul trailer. I asked if they were willing to pay to put hitch on my car to rent trailer. They said no. They don't understand people buy these ATVs for their property and expect them to buy a trailer to haul it for maintenance. Almost 3 months cannot ride my ranger because recall says not to. What a bunch of **. They should have to provide transportation but won't. The issue is a heat shield that was not installed on the 2015-16 and it makes the seat get uncomfortably hot. Could catch on fire.

People of America never ever buy anything that has Polaris on it. I don't care what it is or what your friends and family have said good about them. They are trash. This company makes vehicles that last for 5000 miles then you need a new clutch, cv joints, motor overhaul, tranny overhaul and totally change all other parts of machine. Then it will last for another 5000 then do it all over again. One other thing I would like to say if you live in great falls NEVER EVER go to sports city Cyclery. They are total rip offs. They will charge you 1000 to replace clutch when you can buy for 500 and install in 20 minutes for free labor, to do a oil change. They charge well over 100 dollars if you bought filter and oil from 3rd party. You could do it for 30 dollars. It goes on and on. Just take this advice. Never buy Polaris and never go to sports city Cyclery. You would be better off buying a Honda or Yamaha.

2014 ranger xp 900 - Fuel pump went out on my ride at 2 years old. Ordered part for $211. Come to find out it's back ordered. Dealer say it won't be in for a month. Very pissed off. Piece of ** Polaris owner. Also this was after I had to purchase 2 rear tires for $200 cause my stock tires cracked and we're going flat. They had at least 3/4 tread left. POLARIS = JUNK. DON'T BUY ONE.

My Polaris ranger has had continual problems from new. It's unsafe & they don't seem to have recalls on faulty parts. I think Polaris are dumping substandard bikes on the New Zealand market. I have had problems with the downhill descent with a near miss accident because of faulty gear. I have had near miss accidents due to the pins in the steering braking. This has happened twice with a near new machine. I ended up in a ditch as it caused loss of control.

The disc brakes were also faulty. The drive belt keeps breaking. The last one lasted only 3 weeks. I have had 3 drive belts replaced in 12 months. When the drive belts break the back end locks up and causes loss of control. Replacement clutch kits. It's never ending. Polaris don't stock many spare parts so it take a long time to get bike fixed. I am a farmer and have stock to feed & shift every day. I cannot do this when my bike is continually getting fixed. I tried to talk to Polaris N. Z but they don't want to know. Polaris N. Z are too busy importing these ** bikes into the country and don't have time to deal with concerned customers.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Polaris has been manufacturing recreational vehicles since 1954 and is known for its off-road innovation. Its extensive line of ATVs includes youth, utility and sport performance machines, designed to cover difficult terrain on the job or for recreation.

• Ranger series: Polaris’s Ranger series has multiple models of side-by-side utility ATVs. Riders can choose from a two-seat, full-size or Crew model. All models are built for rough terrain, farming and hunting. Ranger models can transport up to six people, carry up to 1,750 pounds and have engines ranging from 22-80 horsepower. Consumers can go online and look at the numerous models and features for each one. Pricing for the Ranger series is $8,999-$22,999.
  • General series: Polaris built the General series as an all-around utility ATV that can handle any terrain on trails or a work site. Consumers can choose from multiple models in the premium, deluxe and four-seat classes of General ATVs. All models in the General series have 100 horsepower engines and can carry up to 1,100 pounds except the four-seat model which can carry up to 1,280 pounds. Consumers can check online for a full list of features and specs on each General model. Prices range from $16,299-$20,999.
  • Sportsman series: Polaris has four classes of Sportsman ATVs: Recreation/Utility, Sport/Utility, Two-person/Utility and Mud and Sport. Each class has multiple models with differing features of general ATV use. Engine sizes range from 33-89 horsepower and payload capacities range from 290-575 pounds. The Mud and Sport designs all feature heavy-duty mud tires while the two-person design has a seat behind the driver's seat. Prices in the Sportsman series range from $5,999-$12,999.
  • RZR series: RZR is a series of sport performance, side-by-side ATVs enhanced by over 200 Polaris-made accessories. There are five classes of RZR ATVs: Trail, Sport, Extreme, four-seat and Special Edition. Consumers can go online to look at details, features and specs for all RZR models. The RZR series price range is $10,299-$27,499.
  • Polaris Ace series: Polaris Ace is a line of off-road ATVs with a single, centered seat like a cockpit. It is meant to have the comfort of a side-by-side and the handling of an open-seat ATV. The Ace series has four models: the Ace 500, 570, 570 SP and 900 XC. Each model comes with Polaris-designed accessories and upgrades. The Ace series sells for $6,999-$12,999.
  • Best for consumers looking for many options in every type of ATV.

Compare ATVs