1.68/5
Based on 288 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

311 Polaris ATVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

My Polaris 570 touring ATV has been in the shop for more hours than ridden. It is back in again; now with an EPS issue that they cannot figure out. We thought it was the dealership the first time and changed dealers; they are not happy about warranty work since they don't get paid the same as a regular repair. They sold me a machine I cannot use with a warranty they will not stand behind. I would not purchase another Polaris product unless they change.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Polaris looks for the cheapest parts they can find for their side by sides. I bought tires from them, they have flat spots on them and are dry rotted. Must have came off a side by side that sat for a long time and Polaris in turn sold them as new. BUYERS BEWARE. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT.

Get expert buying tips about ATVs delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I've had a long loving relationship with Polaris for the past say 20 years. I have had many, many different models of Polaris ATVs and used to race them back in the early 90s. Wanting to upgrade I purchased a sharp looking all black 2017 Polaris Sportsman 1000xp last year... paid cash and thankfully I also bought the extended warranty. As much as I love the raw power, the massive torque, and impressive handling I have had too many issues with it more than I have ever had with Polaris. At around 50 hrs Pepe (my ATV), started to make (while idling) this rpm did and rev shuttering engine sound. Engine light was on, front screen flashing, power steering felt weird, and full throttle allowed about 5 mph and this only seems to happen when in low gear... putting around staying under about 20 mph.

If I turn Pepe (my ATV) completely off, immediately restart it back up and hammer the throttle for a short burst, the rest of the ride is seemingly ok. If I happen to be done riding or turn off Pepe and then restart and put around again the problem rears its ugly head again. To make matters worse I am out of dealer service options in my area (only 2). I have taken into the shop for service at least 6 different times and have been without a successful outcome when they tell me, "It's fixed so come pick it up." It is the most frustrating ordeal and I use it almost every day on the ranch. For the 1st time in 20 years I am considering not buying a Polaris for my next purchase.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

2018 Polaris 850sp - So far this atv has been in shop 7 times for coolant fan, power steering 3 times, display screen went out, brakes and now the motor went out and Polaris won't fix it. They said I got dust in the motor through air cleaner so they won't cover it because the air cleaner had ripples in it which came from me blowing it out with a air gun. They tried to say it's from getting wet. I have never got water in airbox. I will never buy a Polaris again. They won't back their junk up.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We have two Sportsman 570s EPS bought the same day. Batts have been weak in both from the day we bought. White 570 Polaris rear bumper cracked at year two after app 600 miles and no impacts. Valves for intake fell out of adjustment so bay unit would not start with only 800 miles on it. Polaris went to shim in bucket from their standard shims and requires 200 in parts to switch to conventional shims. Ended up doing an upper rebuild due to excessive cylinder wear. This is one a machine with 800 miles that had 800 miles and 70 hours of run time on it. This unit gets an oil change along with gearbox trans oil and air filter every 25 hours or so. This repair was 500.00. 1100 miles the idle bearing on the CVT fails requiring another 100.00 in special service tools to change a 40.00 part.

Camo 570 Polaris rear bumper cracked at 600 miles no rear impact. Engine dropped intake valve (cracked stem ) at 100 hours and 1011 miles. Damage to piston, and head cylinder was replaced as well due to excessive wear. This unit is also getting new air filter, oil and full fluid change every 25 hours. This repair was 1200.00. As someone who has done a fair amount of repairs these failures are unacceptable and would caution you to only look at Honda or Yamaha as the upfront cost is higher but you will spend less time working on it and more time riding it. All repairs have been done by myself and there is a ton of cost cutting etc ie plastic and parts that while not designed to fail are made to the lowest cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Polaris ATV?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Our 2015 Sportsman 570 has electrical issues including intermittent starter drag, EPS failure which can be cleared by stopping and restarting the unit. Our most local dealer had our ATV for 31 days and we got it back, unloaded it off the trailer, drove it for one mile and all failed again. They then replaced the rear transmission solenoid to no avail with all the same failures today. The bill was over $400.00 and I have the same issues. Now the unit makes a loud popping noise that emanates for the left rear during left turns. I have a medium sized cattle operation and rely on ATVs to do much of the field work. I do not recommend anyone purchase a Polaris product due to the unreliable and disappointing performance. I shared my thoughts with many of the local and state cattle producers in our state.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Understand a life-long Polaris customer. I traded my 600 Sportsman off on a 2018 850 Touring. It has had multiple problems and most of them have been fixed but there are two major problems Polaris does not have a fix for. The exhaust gets extremely hot on the right side of the machine when you're running it and it's very uncomfortable on your right leg. The Handlebar headlight long on there just down far enough to be useful light because it is not designed correctly for the bracket or the bezel the lights in. I have contacted Polaris multiple times and they have no fix for these serious issues. I've been told multiple times they will call me back and no one ever does. I made a phone call today and they promised me I would get a callback and explain what is going on or give me some kind of feedback. Guess what? I never got a call back again.

Polaris you're trying to reinvent the wheel on these new machines what they had working really well with the old machines they have redesigned and now it seems they have gone backwards in technology. In many ways I wish I had my 2004 Polaris 600 back. It was built by people who care about their jobs and they stood behind their machines. Today they completely free design in machine and before it's completely tested they send it out into the public for customers to find out what problems it has. People need to know what is going on and if you want to call my machine keep your old one and put some money in it. It seems in today's world you will get no support whatsoever once you spend a lot of money to buy a new machine. You're stuck with the problems it has and you're stuck with the company that will not back up the problems or help you in any way.

This is absolutely unacceptable and the reason I wrote this review. I will not ever buy another Polaris machine again because of how I ain't been treated. It's absolutely pathetic. They will tell you whatever they need to do to make you happy but they do not follow up on any promises whatsoever. I was also told I would have extended warranty because of the issues going on with this machine. None of that ever happened either. It's pretty sad many of the problems I had with this machine I had to come up with Solutions myself because Polaris didn't know how to fix it.

I'm starting to wonder what kind of Engineers they actually hire up there today. Let's reinvent the wheel on something that was already perfected and WORKED!!! I can assure you everything I have stated in this review is true and I'm trying to help others out there know the facts before they purchase and spend a lot of their hard-earned money on a machine that you will be stuck with.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Bought an 850 Polaris single up, brand new. First year had a parasitic drain on the battery. I took it back to the dealer 3 times to get fixed. Second year the transmission went. Had only 350 miles on it and I am flipping the bill on it. Worst thing I have ever bought. I will be contacting the BBB.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Dealership has had my UTV more than I have had it. The front differential is going bad but for some reason they can't figure it out. Both the rear axles went bad at 200 miles and they made me pay for them. Installed two upgraded axles and one is already bad.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have a 2016 Ranger Crew 900-6 EPS. I regretfully purchased the 5 year "warranty" when I bought the Ranger. My machine started "the rattle", coming from the front differential area, at around 60 hours. I took it to the dealer and described the problem. They told me when I dropped it off that they didn't "chase noises". Frustrated with this response, but not anxious to haul the machine over an hour away to another dealer, I decided to drive it, until it became more than a noise. Fast forward to around 200 hundred hours of primarily dirt road riding... The noise/rattle/vibration has me scared to get far from home. I talked with my brother, who has essentially the same machine, and problem. His rattle started with less than 20 hours on his Ranger, and he was told by the dealership that they would replace the entire front differential, if it got worse (he also purchased the useless warranty).

I decided to take my Ranger to the same dealer and give them a try. When I dropped it off, and spoke with the mechanic and service clerk, they said they would give it a look, but were familiar with the issue. They also said they might have to replace the entire front diff, but that the problem was likely to occur again, and that Polaris had a different front shaft on the new models to address this issue (does everyone else smell the same thing I do)? I also informed them you could grab the front yoke and actually see it move (side to side) on the front diff input shaft, but there was no sign of wear in the universal joints. After a few weeks I get a call with the news that the culprit is the universal joints and center carrier bearing (I forgot to mention earlier that I already spent $200 on the aftermarket carrier bearing, hoping that would solve the issue, but it did absolutely nothing).

They also said Polaris would not warranty the parts, or labor, because these were "wear items", but I could call Polaris and attempt to change their minds. They told me if I wanted them to do the work it would be around $500, and that changing the universal joints would solve the problem. I respectfully declined the offer. I'm not a Polaris mechanic, but if the yoke has play in the splines, then the problem is either the yoke, or the shaft, IMO. I gave the Polaris 800 number a shot, but after being on hold for 25 minutes without speaking to a human, I gave up for now, and I don't have much confidence it will do any good to call them. All I can say for now is this is ridiculous. I work hard for my money, and I take care of the things I buy with it, including the Ranger. Overall, I love my Ranger, but I have zero confidence in Polaris, or the five year warranty.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

A Polaris Ranger 800 that I bought has experienced an engine failure. It had to be rebuilt. It has only 868 hours on it. People discussing with the dealer (actually two different dealers) and others in the community; it appears that Polaris has had many problems with engine failures in the 800 model. They will do nothing about it. No coverage for parts or labor. I suggest one consider a brand other than Polaris.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

3 weeks ago we bought a Polaris Ranger 570 Crew 6 sitter and when we got it home and drive it there was a loud noise in the front differential. We had it 3 day and only drove it about 5 miles. It had 27 miles on it when we got it and it was brand new. We drove back to the shop and drove another one and it did not make the same noise. We could not trade it in they said because of paper work. They took it back to the shop and worked on it for 1 week and still was not able to fix it. They said for us to drive it until the 20 hour break in time and see if it was get better. The company that we bought it from was in touch with Polaris but they still said their was nothing they could do. We had a Polaris 500 side by side 2 person for 12 years and we loved it. That is why we bought another one but now we are not so sure. They are bringing it back tomorrow so we will see.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My Polaris Razor 2016 1000 4 Turbo has been a huge disappointment! As soon as I purchased it was on recall for 6 months and couldn't drive. The only offer from Polaris was to extend the warranty for 6 months...well should be a given since I couldn't drive it! Polaris sent out another advisory in March of 2016 and Expired Dec 31st of 2017. We were promised by the dealer we would get a fan to help resolve the overheating problem. This never happened as they say Polaris wouldn't step up to pay for it.

Keep in mind we only use this machine from May through October due to snow in Utah! It's now doing nothing but overheating on rides in the cool mountains and Polaris still won't stand behind a bad product! It's going to cost approx $500 to get a fan to make sure we are safe in this machine! LEMON!!! LEMON!!! LEMON!!! We had a Polaris 1000 4 seater prior to the turbo machine and never a problem. Can't express how disappointed we are with Polaris!

Original review: July 27, 2018

Do yourself a favor and do not purchase anything made by Polaris. Polaris makes a good product when it works but if there is any issues they will not stand by their product and will find any excuse to not honor their warranty. In October of 2016 I purchased a new 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS with extended warranty. In the spring of 2017 the ATV began overheating several times in several different riding locations/conditions and with different riders operating it. I took the ATV to the Polaris dealership and after they completed "diagnostics testing" they returned the ATV stating that nothing was wrong and that the issue was as a result of rider error only. Polaris advised me to continue to operate the ATV and return it if it overheated again.

Of course the ATV overheated again and the ATV was again taken back to the dealership. Ultimately they found nothing in their testing and returned the ATV to me despite the ATV recording 25+ overheating incidents. In June 2018 I picked up my ATV from the dealership who advised that they could not replicate the overheating issue so there was no issue to report and advised me to ride the ATV. Two days later my fiancé was riding the ATV and was on a hill when the ATV overheated again. Polaris ATVs go into "Engine Saving Mode" when they overheat which slows the engine and ultimately turns off the ATV. In this case the engine bogged down while she was on the hill and caused the ATV to turn sideways at the sudden loss of momentum and the ATV rolled approximately 6 times down a hill. The ATV was severely damaged and my fiancé was also hurt and required medical treatment along with missing time off of work.

I returned the ATV back to Polaris again reporting the overheating issue. Since they could not replicate the overheating issue during diagnostic testing they deemed that there was nothing wrong. To get them to believe me that it was overheating during normal riding conditions I drove around the dealership parking lot until it overheated. This coupled with the injury caused the Polaris engineering department to review the overheating issue. After 4 weeks of testing and pulling the ATV completely apart, Polaris deemed that there was no overheating issues as a result of their product despite the ATV now overheating 30+ times.

Again Polaris reported that the ATV overheated as a result of rider error and washed their hands of the case. To make things worse, Polaris instructed the dealership to make me pay to have the ATV put back together after Polaris pulled the engine apart during their testing. Since they didn't find any issues with the ATV I was to be billed for their testing. Ridiculous. Polaris falls back on the catch-all way out of "rider error". I can assure you the overheating issues are not as a result of rider error. Both my fiancé and I are experienced ATV users and neither of us has had any issues with overheating in the past. Our Sportsman is consistently the only ATV that overheats during group rides. No Polaris this is not rider error, the common factor in this is Polaris!

The customer service representatives are terrible as well. Their legal department representative had the audacity to tell me that the dealership could provide me with riding lessons to prevent this overheating issue from happening again. I have other ATVs, all with no issues, it's not rider error as he suggests. He also suggested that the dealership ride the trails with me to observe my riding style and that they can see the ATV overheat. I informed him that I suggested that to the dealership prior to the accident and they would not do that. He responded by saying that Polaris can't force dealerships to do so and since it’s not a policy Polaris won't take ownership that not all troubleshooting measures were exhausted.

Long story short is don't purchase anything Polaris. My ATV is destroyed with only 600KM on it and I'm left to pay off 10k for an ATV I can't use. The internet has several complaint forums like this with several users report the same issues. Clearly Polaris has some engineering flaws that they are unwilling to address. Do yourself a favor and keep driving past their dealerships when considering purchasing an ATV of SXS.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I bought a new 2017 Sportsman 450 H.O and I had a few problems even though it was brand new. First the axles were defective, second my engine mounts needed to be replaced, third my radiator was defective so it was leaking coolant. They fixed everything because it was within the 6 month manufacturer warranty. Now I have a defective voltage regulator, I went through 3 batteries so I took it to the dealer but they're only replacing the part, not the labor nor the diagnostic fee. Basically I was told I have to purchase the extended warranty for it to Cover anything on it. I told the lady that in other words they really only guarantee the machine to be good for 6 months and after that they expect it to have problems. She didn't say anything. I'm so disappointed with Polaris! I should of gone with Can-Am but now I know not to make the same mistake and buy another Polaris!

Original review: May 29, 2018

I bought my Ranger 900 Crew on November. Made all the necessary maintenance procedures. When I took it to the shop because it wouldn't start they told me that the engine ingested dirt even though the filter was in perfect condition. Now I have to replace the engine. NEVER AGAIN BUY POLARIS.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Polaris 2018 570 Sportsman - I had 5 MILES on this model and a fuse went out - Power Steering didn't work. So had to haul it back to town to have a fuse replaced and the computer reprogramed! Now there is a wrench sign and an hour glass sign that comes on when you start it. Back to town - again - 80 miles on it. I am 40 miles from the nearest dealer and trying to use this ATV while calving. VERY UNHAPPY!!! From reading other reviews, I guess I'd better purchase the extended warranty.

Original review: April 18, 2018

The front differential and front axels on my 2016 Polaris 570 crew went out. We had bought the extended warranty and the people went out of their way to cover all of the expense for replacing all the parts and labor. This is my second Polaris and it won't be my last. Great job.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Have always owned Polaris ATV's and had alright performance, but they were a good ranch vehicle that could take more abuse than the other brands it seemed. Over the past 10 years though, they are getting cheaper built for more money. Polaris thinks so "highly" of their piece of ** new ATV's. They only give you a 6 month warranty, which seems about right as in the 7 month things seem to fail! Right now I have less than 300 miles on my 2017 Polari 570 EPS Utility Edition and have owned it a total of just over 7 months. It spits and sputters, even after having it into the dealership for the problem on not just this one, but also the 450 model I also purchased new at the same time. Blame was placed on the spark plugs, they were replaced, but are doing the same thing still, with no answers.

Also I ranch, so my machines are used around cattle and at calving time we use them to bring in animals that have calved. Been using the machines this way for over 20 years with very few issues. My brand new machine was tooling along bringing a mama and her baby, and the POS plastic throttle lever snapped!!! I am finding out this is an issue many are having and Polaris has been made aware of the issue, but don't bother to do anything, just ignore this faulty part on the machine. Also when I went to replace it, they have now installed specialty 5pt security Torx screws so you either have to purchase the correct bit, or take it to your dealer for about a 5 minute replacement job which will cost 50 to 100 service call depending on the dealer!

Also the front lid/box area, which wasn't needed to being with, has a piece of ** plastic hinge that and bracket that WILL break at the slightest bump from anything, especially in the cold climate I live in. Probably alright for a city slicker, who trail rides a groomed trail on the weekend, but for a working man this design is CRAP!!! Had a mama literally just bump the side of it and broke it pieces, now being held on with just some bungee straps until I have time to fix it. There is really no "front end" on the machines any longer, just a plastic shell for un-needed storage, crappy light plastic lid with a **7-inch plastic hinge!!! What a piece of junk in my opinion.

Let's not forget the location of the batter underneath mounted down by the frame off the ground where ALL the mud and snow can gather ALL the time. Also it is not accessible very easy and makes for an unpleasant job unlike where they used to be mounted, under the seat, you know where everyone could access and/or replace them without the headache of what has been created now! Nice job Polaris engineers with fancy degrees who probably don't even ride or work outside with the machines they are designing!

This brings me to the oil filter and drain plug! Wow Polaris, nice ** on this one! You can see the filter, but you can't touch it or get to it. I had to actually order a filter socket to use with an extension to access this remote filter, again down under the damn machine in the mud and everything else, to remove it! Then there is the drain plug, had to again order in a hex head socket, put on an extension, and then go up through a small access hole in the frame to reach it. Let's just say, I don't own a damn ATV lift, never needed one, and this is a pain in the butt to do now as well as making a huge mess in comparison to the old models with the filter and plug accessible from the side of the machine. Was about a 10-15 minute job and done... but NOT anymore, took me about an hour to complete it and was not a positive result!

So that is just the things in the short 7 months of ownership of this Piece of ** that Polaris is now selling and I will not be purchasing another machine from them in the future. I liked the Yamaha's I looked at when buying this one, but couldn't make a decent deal to trade in my 07 Polaris, wish I would have just taken the hit, and did it now. I will really be looking in the next few years at the other brands and hopefully I can find something I like. It's a damn ATV, and all this electronic, plastic, fancy rim, sleek, and "pretty" crap ISN'T needed nor wanted by most who actually use these machines for work!

That's my rant, and my advice to anyone looking at purchasing a new machine is: "DON'T PURCHASE A POLARIS of any kind, find a different brand with better customer service and backing. At the time, Kawasaki was offer a pretty good warranty with 1 yr, nobody else was offering that unless you purchased an additional 6 months! Take care, and steer clear of POLARIS if you can!

Original review: March 24, 2018

A real LEMON. My son bought me a brand new 2016 Polaris RZR 1000 to use to ride around the farm and check fence. I am almost 60 years old and a grandmother. I rode this ATV easy and had Polaris change the oil and service it. It has a mere 40 hours on it. The engine blew up for no apparent reason. The Polaris mechanic stated the cylinders were very tight in the engine and appeared to be bored that way. Polaris is refusing to stand by their product because they say it's out of warranty. They won't help even though their mechanic states the engine wasn't exactly right from the factory. It will now cost us $4500 to replace the engine. What a horrible company that doesn't stand by their products. This ATV has also had several recalls that we had to take to Polaris Company to fix. From what I read, Polaris is financially in trouble from all the issues with ATVs catching fire and recalls, lawsuits. Anyone else with engine problems?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

As of Tuesday January 30th my 2017 is in the shop for the 4th time since buying it in November of 16. I am having the third rear axle fixed. As of day one Polaris didn't route and make the brake line long enough from handlebar to junction. So after 2 rides the brake line cut through the plastic coating. Polaris fix for this was to cut my plastics on a brand new 12k plus machine. Then right at my 25 hour first service time my left rear axle broke. Upon inspection with my 25 hour service they found both rear wheel bearings to be bad. Oh let me say as well it took me about 8 months to reach the 25 hours. So not like I was using it all the time. And I also bought the 5 year extended warranty. But Polaris tried fighting to have the bearings covered. As usual saying it must have been in a lot of mud and water. Sure I go through some minor streams and mud if it's been raining. But they show it doing all that on their website by the way.

So anyway, they did get the bearings and shaft covered. On first ride after repair the whole right rear side blew apart. Had to have new hub, caliper, rotor and other parts. No drive shaft. But then picked up yet again and only got 2 rides of maybe 2ish hours each and the right rear axle went. And picked up yet again. Then got about 1 two hour ride and about 10 minutes into a second ride and right rear axle went again. Hence why machine is at shop for its 4th fix. Polaris uses the same axles on my 1000 with 27" Viper tires that they do down to the 450. My 1000 has 90 hp. 450 has 44 hp. Hmmmm doesn't sound like smart thing to do to me. And brake line is now getting cut again. Because I had to take tie wrap off that they put on because the brake line is so short that it was starting to pull on my main wire harness causing my display to flash off and on.

Since taking tie wrap off no more issues. EXCEPT that brake line is getting cut again. I will say so far that I'm getting fixed under warranty. But how many more times will they keep fixing it. MAIN POINT NOW IS that all my issues on my 17 they fixed with the 18. Longer brake line that routes how should with proper slack. And other MAIN POINT is that they finally put stronger/better rear axles and bearings in. My dealership treats me well but that's also because I have bought 3 quads and 2 motorcycles from them. 3 of the things were in 16 months. My close friend buys the same amount from them as I have. BUT AT SOME POINT either the dealer or Polaris is gonna tell me they won't cover it anymore. So how many times is Polaris just gonna throw parts at it knowing that they built it all wrong. Won't admit it but it is admitted by all the fixes on the 18 I'm having with the 17.

And now my dealer probably won't take mine in on trade because of the problems. I'm 100% willing to buy the 18 LE Copper just like I have now. But my 17 is deemed a problem child now I'm sure. So I'm gonna be stuck with a problem child. I've had a 2011 Sportsman 800 ho and a 2015 850 ho so I am a loyal Polaris customer. But really looks like they Don't care about us loyal ones. Pretty crappy. Sad thing is I still have the 850 and haven't broken one thing on it. And it goes with me every time I ride. It has been through the same riding as the 1000. No BROKEN parts yet. WHAT IN THE HELL DO I GET FOR BEING A LOYAL POLARIS CUSTOMER? Not adding my receipt. But I am obviously a verified buyer of 3 Polaris products.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Receiving another letter Jan 14, 2018! After completing all the recalls and service on my 2015 900 Razor in 2016, because of injury and death pertaining to fire I just received another letter stating that the problem still exist. And the CPA is involved. What on Earth? Scary. Why are we still suppose to ride them. Don't you think it's time for a lemon law. NOW!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I am amazed at the bad reviews I’ve read. I currently have a 2001 Sportsman 500, 2015 Sportsman 570 Hunter, 2017 Sportsman 850sp, 2017 Sportsman 1000xp Hunter, and 2017 Scrambler 1000. Just sold a 2008 Sportsman 500 that I loved but ran out of room for. All of my newer machines have extended warranties although none have ever had to even go to the dealer for service. We travel up north multiple times a year and have had many family vacations always with our Polaris machines averaging over 400 miles a weekend. Like any off-road vehicle maintenance is key. I do all my own with factory Polaris products. If we ride for a full day and the dust is really heavy I will clean or replace the air filters before the next ride out. I track all of my maintenance through Polaris Ride Command App.

Very helpful app to have. My local dealer, Enfield Motorsports, who I’ve been dealing with since the late 1980’s always treats me right. I have owned all of the brands at one time or another and Polaris is definitely my all-time favorite. Don’t be fooled either, they ALL NEEDED TO BE MAINTAINED, no matter what brand. All brands will fail from abuse and neglect or lack of experience on the trails. Ride smart, have fun, know there is way more frequent maintenance than with your car, and have pride in your ride!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I have had a 2007 Ranger XP 700 that had a very very noisy rear end. A high pitched whine. I was told it is normal, if it breaks we will fix it. Very annoying. I then bought a 2012 Ranger XP 900 Limited edition. This machine was not bad at all. I just bought a 2017 Ranger XP 6 seater "North Star" 1000. I took it home and it has a very annoying grinding in the front axle. I took it back to the dealer and was told it is probably the carrier bearing (midship bearing) or the front differential. After a couple of weeks they said the carrier bearing is fine and it is just the front differential. They said it really is not that bad and if it ever breaks they will fix it. Being this is the enclosed cab with heat and A/C the noise is very pronounced. They said if they changed it I might get one that is worse???

I have been retired from Chrysler Corp.Engineering for quite awhile. I explained to the dealership that this was exactly why Chrysler went Bankrupted. Back in the 70's and 80's they used to let their customers test their vehicles and would not fix them except when they broke. They really had inferior vehicles when compared to the competition. I feel that Polaris is doing the same thing. The executives are probably hanging around and enjoying the profits. Trust me when things go wrong as they are now, they will be leaving Polaris with stock options and bonuses and leaving Polaris high and dry.

If their quality control is so bad they can not find a quiet front differential to keep a customer that just paid over 24,000 dollars happy They are in BIG TROUBLE. I will be buying other side by sides but NOT POLARIS. I have talked two of my neighbors out of buying a new Polaris. There are a lot better machines out there. Oh I did call the 1-800 Polaris number to talk with customer service. What a JOKE. I am DONE WITH POLARIS.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Don't buy anything from Polaris! I made the mistake of buying a 2015 Ace 570 brand new. At 90 miles the drive belt came apart. They said warranty won't cover it because I abused the machine. At 200 miles and 40 hours the engine started smoking and knocking. I was told the engine ingested something. Could need a new motor for $5500 and the dealer wanted $600 upfront to even look at it! The ACE is extremely poorly designed. The intakes are above the rear wheels. Stay away from water, dust, sand, dirt, mud and stay only on paved roads and the Ace will be fine. If you do to any Polaris what they show in their advertisements they will tell you it's abuse. Stay away from Polaris! I bought a Can-Am Outlander 850 and it blows away any piece of garbage that Polaris makes.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

2 years ago we purchased 2 Polaris Aces. They have less than 300 miles on them. This fall one of them overheated and stopped running. Dropped it off at a Polaris dealer. They could not believe what the inside of the engine looked like. In the meantime received a recall for this model saying do not drive until exhaust is fixed, it can cause heat to be pushed back into engine which can cause to overheat or start a fire inside the engine. Our engine is shot. Polaris will not fix this engine. Their reason was this machine is too old and out of warranty. You know you put out a bad product so do something about it. When you pay this much it should last longer than 2 years. I will never purchase any Polaris product again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Bought a Phoenix in 2016. Have had problems with it the whole time. It's at the dealership in Ada Oklahoma along with 4 others same model. Also had extended coverage and they want fix it. Do not invest in any type of Polaris. They are worthless. Go to any dealer and notice how many new ones they have broke down.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My brand new 2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 started having issues at only 11 miles. Multiple engine codes flashing and running very rough. I took it to the dealer, and after several days they called me to let me know it was ready to go. However, when I got there, I was told that the problem was recurring, and they'd need more time to figure it out. A couple of days later I was told that the problem was an electrical arc, which was probably a factory defect, but the warranty wouldn't cover it because the ATV was wet and dirty. This repair cost me roughly $1000.00. It's now got about 50 miles on it and it's broken down again. I'll be taking it to a different dealer this time, but I'm not expecting much.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I bought a 2000 Polaris Magnum 6 years ago and nothing went wrong, only just recent the pull start ripped out, but we fixed that quickly. My dad recently bought a Polaris Sportsman 2017 570 and 3 out of the 4 tires popped and we only had it for a month, we bought plugs for it. We might just buy aftermarket tires. I know for a fact it’s the tires because we usually have like 5 four wheelers all riding the same trail, can an Outlander 570 2017 and Yamaha 1999 350 and none of other tires popped. Only my dad’s Polaris Sportsman 570 2017. Also when he goes over 40 on the road his steering wheel starts wiggling dangerously. Otherwise it’s doing really well.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I own a 2014 Polaris 6x6 Ranger side by side RV. The complaint I have concerns a VERY dangerous condition that Polaris is very much aware of and chooses to ignore. The park brake they have installed on these machines is absolutely a disgrace and needs to be addressed. Simply put---they don't work. I have spoken with several dealers about this and they all say the same thing, Polaris refuses to take any action to fix the problem. There is an aftermarket brake pad available, however it isn't worth the $100 I have paid twice to have installed. I have called Polaris and expressed my concerns, their answer was they take complaints from the dealers and correct them based upon dealer input. This isn't true as two different dealers gave me the Polaris number to complain to, and stated they were not able to get any satisfaction from the mfg and asked me to call and complain.

Well I have had enough. Anyone interested in joining me in a class action suit against Polaris over this safety issue, please join in before someone is injured or killed. This is total crap and any jury in the world will agree, there is no excuse in this day and age to put a vehicle forth without the means to stop it from moving forward or backward safely. This thing takes off down a hill with children inside or hurts someone there will be hell to pay. Everyone with a machine such as this has the same problem and it needs to be addressed properly.

Polaris ATV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Polaris has been manufacturing recreational vehicles since 1954 and is known for its off-road innovation. Its extensive line of ATVs includes youth, utility and sport performance machines, designed to cover difficult terrain on the job or for recreation.

• Ranger series: Polaris’s Ranger series has multiple models of side-by-side utility ATVs. Riders can choose from a two-seat, full-size or Crew model. All models are built for rough terrain, farming and hunting. Ranger models can transport up to six people, carry up to 1,750 pounds and have engines ranging from 22-80 horsepower. Consumers can go online and look at the numerous models and features for each one. Pricing for the Ranger series is $8,999-$22,999.

• General series: Polaris built the General series as an all-around utility ATV that can handle any terrain on trails or a work site. Consumers can choose from multiple models in the premium, deluxe and four-seat classes of General ATVs. All models in the General series have 100 horsepower engines and can carry up to 1,100 pounds except the four-seat model which can carry up to 1,280 pounds. Consumers can check online for a full list of features and specs on each General model. Prices range from $16,299-$20,999.

• Sportsman series: Polaris has four classes of Sportsman ATVs: Recreation/Utility, Sport/Utility, Two-person/Utility and Mud and Sport. Each class has multiple models with differing features of general ATV use. Engine sizes range from 33-89 horsepower and payload capacities range from 290-575 pounds. The Mud and Sport designs all feature heavy-duty mud tires while the two-person design has a seat behind the driver's seat. Prices in the Sportsman series range from $5,999-$12,999.

• RZR series: RZR is a series of sport performance, side-by-side ATVs enhanced by over 200 Polaris-made accessories. There are five classes of RZR ATVs: Trail, Sport, Extreme, four-seat and Special Edition. Consumers can go online to look at details, features and specs for all RZR models. The RZR series price range is $10,299-$27,499.

• Polaris Ace series: Polaris Ace is a line of off-road ATVs with a single, centered seat like a cockpit. It is meant to have the comfort of a side-by-side and the handling of an open-seat ATV. The Ace series has four models: the Ace 500, 570, 570 SP and 900 XC. Each model comes with Polaris-designed accessories and upgrades. The Ace series sells for $6,999-$12,999.

• Best for: consumers looking for many options in every type of ATV.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs