2. Shopping

Dick's Sporting Goods

3.8/5 (487 ratings)

About Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dick's Sporting Goods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dicks Sporting Goods?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Yesterday I had (another) issue with trying to buy something at Dick's Sporting Goods via their website and scheduled for an instore pick-up at the Short Pump, VA store. Below is a paraphrased version of the issues I encountered. I sent a letter to the President (Lauren Hobart) of Dick's yesterday... it seems they are much faster at charging your credit card than acknowledging a customer issue, because I never got a reply from anybody at the company! I am leaving Dick's Sporting Goods and going to other sport stores for my sporting equipment and apparel needs.

I had a $40 gift coupon to use for being a Scorecard member. So, I went online and found 2 items that I purchased. One was Bombas Women's Running socks and the other was a 2-pack CALIA Women's Running Socks. I bought 2 of the Bombas and 1 of the CALIA socks for a total price of $44.24. I applied my $40 gift coupon and charged the remaining $4.24 to a credit card. The order was to be picked up in the Short Pump, VA store (I believe store 128). About 45 minutes after I placed the order, I received an email notification telling me that the CALIA socks are not available and that the item was cancelled but I was not yet billed for it. The next email indicated that my order subtotal was $32.00 for the Bombas socks (which is correct) and $29.09 Rewards has been applied to my order and the remaining $3.08 was charged to my credit card.

Here are the issues that I see thus far: First, their website showed the CALIA socks in-stock, but then the store decided to cancel them (maybe the inventory count was wrong or the employee couldn't find them). This is frustrating because in my mind, the product should not have been an available item on their website. Second, if my total was $32.17 (which included tax), then why wasn't my $40 gift coupon used instead of rewards points and the balance being charged to my credit card? Again, an issue that should not have happened, which is frustrating for a customer.

So, to get my $40 gift coupon reinstated, I enlisted the help of their CHAT line and spoke with Anna. Note, that Anna tried to be as helpful as possible. She was extremely professional and very polite and empathized with my situation. HOWEVER, I left our conversation a bit confused. During our chat conversation I made the statement that I have been shifting away from Dick's Sporting Goods and buying my sporting gear and apparel from Amazon. I guess that doesn't matter, because I never saw any ears perk up when I communicated this. Moving to Amazon or others pains me because I have been a loyal Dick's Sporting Goods Customer for such a long time.

Anyway, this ended up being my last point of frustration. So do you blame me for taking my purchases to Amazon? Again, I never heard anything else back from the store or the President. I hope they are able to turn around their customer service scores... just GOOGLE Dick's Sporting Goods reviews; they get what they deserve.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Beware of ordering anything from Dick's website for delivery. I ordered an NBA jersey which clearly showed "Available for Delivery" when I placed the order. After my order it showed "standard delivery" for 5 days from the date of my order, but the item never showed up. The status of my order never changed from "Preparing for Shipment", so I contacted Dick's. They told me my order was now considered a pre-order and was expected in about 6 weeks.

I told them it was in stock and ready to ship when I ordered it and now that they are telling me it will be 6 weeks, I would like to cancel the order. Their response was you can only cancel within 30 minutes of placing the order. I would have to wait until the item arrived and then I could return it. They claimed they have no method whatsoever of canceling an order once 30 minutes have passed. So if you order anything that says "Available for Delivery", it may be completely false and you will be stuck and unable to cancel it or purchase the item elsewhere. Due to this experience, I will never order anything from Dick's website and I would suggest you consider doing the same.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I ordered a brand new ProForm Elliptical from Dicks Sporting Goods and paid over $140 in shipping. My item was delivered damaged, cracked, scraped, plastic busted to pieces. While they offered to return it, I offered to keep the damaged product so that I didn't need to wait around for it to be picked up returned and have to wait for a new bike because I wanted to start using it immediately. They offered me a return of 15% of my sale price which I think is absolutely absurd being this doesn't even cover the shipping cost of the item.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Placed an order 12/1/20; 24 hours later, got an email stating, “Sorry, we’re out of stock- order canceled." Getting about 10 emails a day and knowing what a large, obviously well-known company it is, I did not hesitate in placing the order. Never had issues before. But in these times, if you’re going to blast individuals with promotions and basically beg for business, you’d better be able to deliver. The frustration factor is high because I could have tried to get a deal with a different company on Cyber Monday/Tuesday. Now it’s too late, and my child will not have the item he wanted. Also tried to unsubscribe online- if anyone else has been able to, I’m impressed because I finally had to call customer service directly, and can’t guarantee it’ll really be done, based on this experience!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

The delivery company for Dick’s does not respond to inquiries. Made multiple calls to them, they say they will call back but never do. Cannot even set up a delivery date. If you're thinking of getting something for the holidays to be delivered in a timely manner, it’s not going to happen, their contractors can’t handle the load, go somewhere else or figure a way out to pick it up and assemble it yourself!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I purchased a Under Armour Sweatshirt online from Dick's Sporting Goods. Very pleasantly surprised to receive the item within two days of ordering. However, I took the sweatshirt out of the package and found the sweatshirt had been used. The sweatshirt had little fuzzies all over it and I do mean all over the item. I don’t see how someone could overlook that and send it out anyways. Buyer beware.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I have been into Dick's Sporting Goods in many states due to my kids travel league sports. I have never felt so miss treated as I was on this day (8/31/20) at Dick's Sporting Goods in Lafayette, LA. which happens to be my home store. I am an older ** female with 2 adopted kids that happen to be **. From the beginning this sales person in the shoe department made it clear he was not impressed to be helping us. I ignored this at first thinking he must be having a bad day.

Mind you, I have spent much more than I did today in previous trips...Yet, when my son finally decided on his tennis shoes... This salesman pulled the box of shoes out of my son's hands, stated he would walk us to the register and then stood there, at the register, while I bought the shoes and made snide comments, like oh..she has a coupon..and a credit card..Hmm and walked off but only once my sale went through on my debit card. Now let's back up a few.... Prior to my kids and I leaving the shoe department, other all ** families were allowed to walk away with their choice of shoes and some with multiple boxes of shoes...

At first, I was embarrassed, but by the time I made it to the front I was very upset. There were 2 young ladies at the front, 1 was obviously embarrassed by his mannerism... or maybe because I asked why I had to be escorted then watched while I paid for two pairs of shoes? (I also bought a pair of Nike's for my daughter).. I asked does he work on commission? I got silence. the 1st young lady just dropped her head further down.

The 2nd young lady, who seemed to be a supervisor or manager also would not look at me and stated when you buy something over 100.00 you must be escorted especially for Nike products. I stupidly continued and bought the shoes to not cause a scene in front of my children. I have bought so many shoes, cleats, bats, gloves, clothes, chairs etc that were way more than $100. and I have never been walked to the counter... I do not look like white trash, in fact I came there in my business attire after work... SO, I am not sure what his problem was.

This was the first time I ever truly felt my children were racially profiled. We have put up with a lot over the years since I adopted them..And I guess I was judged for having ** children...This upset me so much as it was so blatant and nothing was done even after I contacted Dick's chat line! Shame on this crew and their team leader, and shame on Dick's for not even taking the time out to apologize, not to me but to my kids that felt less than the others! To Dick's Sporting Goods, I would hope in this day and age that your policies and procedures would be a little more cautious and customer service oriented to all!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I bought a bike and three year warranty. First day the bike had a flat and the seat was loose. I called and they said they could repair but they have no inner tubes, but if I bought one they could install. So I spent 20 dollars to have one shipped to me. After a week I got it repaired and I was happy. Three miles into my first ride I had another flat. I was riding on a smooth bike path. I called to exchange the bike and they said “Sorry, but there Are no returns or exchanges on bikes." 303.00 for the bike, 64.93 for a three year warranty and 20 dollars for an inner tube. Total 387.93 given to Dicks Sporting goods for a useless bike.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I ordered this mask online on August 4th. By August 27th, after receiving no correspondence from Dick's Sporting Goods, I decided to contact them to find out when the item will arrive. I chatted online with an agent that said it was outside the 30 day window to arrive so she would escalate the order and I would hear back in 1-2 days. After hearing nothing, I contacted an agent again through chat. This agent informed me that the item was actually a presale item that wouldn't ship out until September 28th! There was no mention of this when I originally ordered the item and there has been no communication to this fact via email. I requested to cancel the order and was told that I am only able to cancel the order 30 minutes after ordering, but I could return it when I receive it. I'm so disappointed in their customer service and especially their lack of communication. I will never order from them again!

Original review: July 15, 2020

I decided to purchase some clubs at Golf Galaxy online but will never again. Beware! I was told that I would receive hardcovers for my new purchase. I received my purchase with no hardcovers and a note with a Dick's gift card saying, "Sorry, if you want to return they would understand!!" Really?? I’ve been waiting a month after my complaint? Still no response!! Go to Carl's Golfland or PGA superstore for golf supplies.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I ordered a Nike jacket online due to Cov-19 and I received my order in the mail. When looking at the item I received the item was dirty and I can tell the tag by the tag it was returned. Did you look at the item before shipping this item. Not happy about my nike jacket.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I hate to leave review for Dick's Sporting Goods today but they leave me no choice. I bought my Bench Press on May 1, 2020. I called them on May 6 to report missing part, it's July 2 and no answer. Bad.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I have clearly ordered a large size and what i have received was an 2XL. Not only that, the item I received also did not have a strap. The employees have made me so disappointed. Do pay attention to your customer’s orders and get them right next time. It was very unfortunate and you given me an overall bad experience from ordering from this company and it’s not recommended.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I ordered a Brand new G400 Graphite set online for 680 dollars. They sent me a used damaged golf set and when I call they offered 10 percent discount which I didnt agree to and then looking at the set again I agreed with their rep Toni that they will Give me 30 percent discount if I keep it. Next morning I got an email that an amount of 18.55 $ will be refunded to my card as I agreed.

I told the agent that I have not agreed to that and why was I not consulted before processing this amount. I have asked them to refund my money and now they will not even pay the taxes I paid and I will return this set to them and pay for the return. Its been a horrible experience for me and I dont want anyone to go through this again. I felt cheated and lot of my time was wasted over the phone as well for nothing. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM DICK SPORTING GOODS!

Original review: June 18, 2020

Corinphean ** this is for you. This lady was absolutely the worst customer service I’ve ever seen! She was short. She was very rude and had her mind made up before she even talked to me. I have never been so disrespected in my life. I bought A kayak on May 23, 2020. My tracking number stated that my shipment would be delivered June 8, 2020. I did not receive it until 4:00pm today. I called The freight service about four times to track my order and they stated they couldn’t find it. The literally lost my order! This was for my husband’s birthday and he didn’t even get it in time!

When I call The Sporting Goods yesterday they lady I spoke To told me that she was refunding my money and was personally going to call the freight service and see if she couldn’t work it out. Our connection was lost and she never called me back. So today I called (Still at this point did NOt have my kayak) and they told me that in no way shape or form was they giving me my money back. She said since I received It today that she did not care that it was late. She stated that it was not her problem or her fault! I’m so so upset. I have NEVER had such bad customer service in my life.

I really Hope if you are reading this you buy from somewhere else! I understand Bad days happen but this is unacceptable. I called Them back after that because I’m just really hurt and she made me feel like I wasnt Important. The lady told me on the phone that she was so sorry her coworker acted like that but she was below Mrs. ** and she could help me. She said that they should have at least refunded the kayak price since the shipping was 170$ and the kayak cost 170$.

Original review: June 17, 2020

Do not order to ship for curbside delivery. I ordered 2 kayaks back in May for 6/8 curbside delivery according to the confirmation email. It's 6/17 and Dick's has yet to deliver them. Once they swipe the credit card they wipe their hands and you will be at the mercy of PILOT freight. Countless calls to Dick's and Pilot later and still no kayaks. Delivery has been a never ending moving target. Shipping was $400!!! This company is not trustworthy. You're better off going to REI or Tractor Supply for your kayak needs.

Original review: June 14, 2020

BUYER Beware - DO NOT BUY A BIKE FROM Dick’s Sporting Goods. We purchased a $500 bike as a gift for Mother’s Day 2020. Because of COVID there was no way to see the bike in person. Once we got it home it was obvious it was too big for my mom. She did not ride it - just tried to get on. When we called to figure out how to do a touch free return Dicks told us that bicycles are NEVER returnable as they are suddenly USED by taking it home. Dick’s website touts its COVID concern and lists that they have extended their return policy from 60 days to 90 days. NOTHING tells us this bike cannot be returned ever. They don’t care about the crisis or their customers.

Now we have discovered that this practice by Dick’s has been going on for over 10 years - that they always refuse to return a new bike - even when it is a gift for someone else!! If Dick’s knows of this problem why is it NOT listed anywhere. Remember - we never went into a store. Stores were closed for COVID. At no time - during online shopping, paying or delivery, did anyone tell us that the bike we were buying sight unseen could NOT be returned. We will NEVER shop at Dick’s Sporting Goods again. If you have a policy - make it clear. This is deceiving and deceitful. We are beyond disappointed that Dick’s cares more about profits than treating customers with respect.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I ordered a JumpPower 14 ft trampoline on May 28th to be shipped to my home, and everything seemed to be in order. I received the shipping confirmation and the FedEx tracking number. When checking on status of the shipment, it was starting “estimated delivery June 1”. However, a box arrived on Saturday May 30th, which was even better, I thought. We decided to put the trampoline together on Sunday. Our kids were beyond thrilled to start helping to set up it up. Imagine the disappointment when we opened the box just to realize it had only partial trampoline in there, with no instructions. It didn’t have the list of what is included in the box either. At a closer look we realize it was only box 2 of 2, and the first box was not delivered.

I immediately reached out to customer service via chat and was told that it’s showing still that FedEx is to deliver on June 1. I was feeling concerned since there was no update to shipping progress, but the agent assured me it would be fine and the box would arrive. Monday morning I was still not able to see the update and reached out again. I said I’m worried the box might gotten lost, since Why would two boxes of one item be delivered on different days. The agent said - not to worry, items are being shipped from different facilities, give it till the end of the day. Ok. We waited. End of day today, nothing showed up. So I reached out again.

After checking on it, Yet another agent confirmed the shipping in fact was not trackable and was not updated as of 5/28 (which is when the package was being shipped). I was also told I could either stay with item or get a refund. Now, this is really frustrating since 1. What am I supposed to do with just half a trampoline 2. I am not looking for a refund, and I do want to get hold of the second box for the item, I have the other half for. There must be a way to track it back to the warehouse or the actual store, whichever is the place it got shipped out. It’s not a small item, and it’s useless without the parts that got delivered to us. I would be more understanding if nothing got shipped at all, but we did receive half of it basically. So where is the other half ???!

Ever since this happened, we have been on the phone with the customer service at least 5 times, each time we have to re-tell the story. Everyone is empathetic and saying they would put a rush on the incident (case was created), and someone would get back to us within 24-48 hours. No one ever gets back to us. So, we call again. We are going on week two and it seems it is moving nowhere.

I would have given up by now, but I do believe that second box must be sitting in a warehouse somewhere and no one took the time to look for it. And I believe it will be a huge waste of resource if 300$ of inventory gets thrown away because someone doesn’t want to tie the ends... So, this is a mix of both- a review and additional resource to see if this can get resolved. I find it frustrating and disappointing that such a big company with such wide range of customer service cannot get this resolved. Again, everyone is nice but nothing gets moving at all. Tons of promises, and no action..

Original review: May 31, 2020

I never end up buying anything at Dicks, they don’t have what I am looking for and their prices are very very high. The kids' grandparents shop there so the kids try to shop there but they never have the brand or style they are looking for and what they do have is overpriced. The kids never buy anything there either.

Original review: May 31, 2020

I recommend Dicks over all other sporting goods because of the variety, the reasonable pricing and the staff. It is a great place to shop and find what you are looking for. During my children's high school years of playing sports; we always found what we needed. The store is clean and the staff is diverse. The products are the top brands.

Original review: May 31, 2020

I bought a pair of walking shoes with a mesh type top. I was told that this was very sturdy material. The first time I wore them, my big toe when through the top. I tried to return them and was told that they do not take back or exchange shoes for any reason, even when there is a manufacturer's problem. I still had the receipt and I had had this problem within the first week after purchase. Dick's would do nothing.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Overall my impression of Dick's Sports Goods is positive. I did have one instance where my online order was poorly handled. So that particular order was completely botched. The item was sneakers. One sneaker was a 9.5. The other sneaker was a 12 in the same box, pretty poor. But when I brought it to their attention they responded pretty well, so I continue to trust this business.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Dick's is SO overpriced. Most of its product you can get online for less money. I only shop their clearance items, usually for running shoes, but I often find other things in the clearance racks too. It has fine quality as it stocks all of the major brands with wide varieties within each product category. Here in my town it has a strong inventory of local high school workout gear and also the state universities which I like. It also has lots of youth sports products. It also has lots of obscure sports things like pickleball. Overall, if I had an unlimited budget, I'd give Dick's five stars. But I don't, so I shop for most of my sporting goods needs elsewhere.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Dick’s is really the go to place for atheistic clothing and equipment. I don’t think I’ve ever walked out empty handed. Sometimes you even get lucky and there’s a sale! If you’re a frequent shopper, the rewards program is worthwhile to sign up. Make sure your info is correct because otherwise you will get no rewards.

Original review: May 29, 2020

As a former retail manager there needs to be more training. I have had to go back to the store after I have left because items were not rung up correctly and their customer service needs work too. If you don't care enough to do the job right and treat customers right then you should not be working in a customer based job.

Original review: May 28, 2020

We like shopping at Dick's Sporting Goods and make many purchases there. I usually find what I'm looking for and customer service is helpful. They carry all of the brands we shop for and sometimes we get lucky with a sale although by the time something is clearanced at a low price, popular sizes are generally sold out.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Dick's has a pretty good variety, however, I have found that their prices are much higher than most sporting good stores. They don't seem to have many sales or discounts, which is normally what I wait for. And because of that, I rarely go to Dick's, but when I do, their prices are always high, and I can almost always get a better deal at a different sporting store or online.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I used the curbside pickup and was given broken items and one item missing the major component. After reading the return policy, I tried to return it to the curbside and the supervisor got nasty with me. Never using Dicks Sporting Goods again for curbside pickup! They should have checked the merchandise before handing it to me.

Original review: May 27, 2020

We have found that when shopping at Dick's we are always satisfied with both the quality and the service. I do not think of any other store when it comes to sport shopping because Dick's is a one stop shop for us. We have been able to try purchases prior to buying and on the rare occasion that item has to be returned, the process is always smooth. I would not shop anywhere else. They also have great sales!

Original review: May 26, 2020

Dicks is usually very reliable. Their customer service department is very good. I buy most of my golf balls from them. Easy to use their rewards program. Great sales and order online service. Sometimes there are not enough store clerks available to help you and may store clerks may not know all of the merchandise available.

Dick's Sporting Goods Company Information