Dick's Sporting Goods

Compare Sporting Goods Stores

Research top Sporting Goods Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I placed a large order from the Dick's website. Two Kayaks, two Kayak paddles, and two life vests. Never got a confirmation email. Have now called three times to have the confirmation email sent to me and still nothing. Have been told three different stories about my order, one that it isn't in the system and that I need to call my credit card company to see if there is a charge on my account from Dick's and it isn't possible for them to see if the order has been processed. Really IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN WHO DOES???

Then because it was less expensive to have the Kayaks shipped to two local stores separately and now they aren't sure if my order has been placed as yet... One of the Kayaks were canceled because the Kayak and vest are now no longer available. Wait... I'm confused no record of my order... yet... it does show that part of my order has been canceled. HUH? The third call the woman excused herself twice... kept me on hold... then said the confirmation will be emailed to me... Ummm... no... still no confirmation email for the original order. TERRIBLE BUSINESS PRACTICES!!! I don't force them staying in business for long if this is how they conduct themselves!!! TERRIBLE!!!

Purchased a baseball bat on the 26th of June and paid for expedited shipping for item to arrive on the 28th. System indicated arrival to be the 28th, however Item arrived on the 29th. I returned item to local store and received the credit for the bat but not the shipping. Called customer service and after 30 minutes on the phone and two disconnects they will not return the shipping charges as they have stated that policy and the time frame for the delivery was acceptable. Very disappointed in the position they have taken especially for a customer who spends several thousand with them every year. I would not recommend ordering anything from them online... Amazon policy for return is the better option. Totally stupid by Dick's customer service for $16.15. They clearly have a bad policy and will not shop with them again.

Purchased a Golf Driver on 7/3/2017 about 8pm, took it to the driving range on 7/5/2017 and it broke! Now I am definitely no pro, but I certainly know that the heads of drivers are not supposed to outdrive the ball, especially on the first day of use! When I took the club into the store today, the "Manager" seemed like he was making up his own rules, because he could not show me on my receipt or anywhere posted in the store what their return policy was, but he initially refused to give me a refund, give me store credit or evenly swap out the club for another one.

Now I am a disabled veteran with over 26 years of serving our country and I would never threaten another human being unless being threatened, but he only offered to send the club to the maker for repair and I refused, so I requested to speak with the General Manager and he refused and said that he was not available! When I went outside to protest and wait for the GM, the shopping mall police and the Corpus Christi Police Department showed up stating that I had threatened the Manager with the golf club. Wow, first poor customer service now lying to the police to have me arrested, what's next? Really Dick's? And to end the visit they have me banned from ever visiting the store again like I ever want to spend my money there again???

Worst customer service. Ordered a t-shirt via the internet and tried to cancel. Wouldn't let me cancel because I didn't try within 30 minutes after placing the order. Called customer service because I was told that they could cancel but they shipped it anyway to Santa Clara CA a week later and then charged my PayPal account. I then refused the shipment and it took a week to go to Louisville KY when it was shipped from Visalia, CA. Called them after 3 days for them to credit my PayPal account and was told that this couldn't happen for 30 days because that was PayPal's policy which is not correct. I have had money refunded from merchants on eBay within 3 days. I asked to speak to a supervisor to explain this policy and was then hung up on. I will never buy from this retailer again. The name DICK is how they treat their customers.

I walked in the store to return a few shirts that I was given for Father's Day. I had no receipts for them but the tag said they were 24.99. Since I had no receipt the cashier said that I can exchange them for others that were similar. Unfortunately there was no others that I liked in that style of shirt so when I ask for store credit they only wanted to give me 4.99 per shirt. They said that was the lowest sale price. However all the other shirts that were identical to mine were 24.99 they are just ripping people off so I will never shop there again even though I like their styles. I will look online or elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dicks Sporting Goods?

I was returning home from a trip and stopped into Dick's to buy my son some lacrosse balls for his birthday. Dick's had a bag clearly labeled "15 lacrosse balls" on the front. I purchased the balls in cash and drove the remaining 100 miles to my home. When my son opened the bag, only 12 balls were inside. I photographed the balls, the bag, and the receipt and called Dick's "service" number and asked them to either ship me 3 more balls or refund me the cost of the 3 that were missing. They said there was nothing they could do. Only option would be to return to the store 100 miles away and take it up with the manager. I later tried an online chat with their service dept. and received the same response. Extremely poor service...this is why Amazon is killing the traditional big box stores. How long before Dick's is the next dinosaur to go belly up? You think they'd learn something from Sports Authority and all the others already in the graveyard.

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! It's unbelievable that 3 associates are standing at the register and they cannot stop their conversation to help 1 customer in line. You won't get very many customers this way.

You've got 30 minutes to edit your order boys and girls. After that, it's locked out to their own employees. Nothing they can do. I placed it yesterday, it hasn't even been processed yet, and there's nothing they can do. I have to wait till there's a tracking number with UPS and then call them. Yes, I'm serious. Do not order online. Customer service - F, Support Staff - F, Customer Support Policies and Procedures - F.

I bought a $50 fishing pole. Guy talked me into buying the 2 year replacement plan for $13. I gave in because it seemed too good to be true. It was. Exactly 9 months and 22 days later I broke a guide in my rod. I walked into the store and the lady said I have to call or go online. I called and was transferred 3 times. Then another lady tells me that I have to go thru the manufacturer for the factory warranty because the two year replacement plan doesn't work until the factory warranty ends. So I go through hoops for about 2 hour. Now the rod company wants $15 shipping and handling after I pay shipping the rod to them which is $14 plus a $6 4 ft box and tape that I don't have.

So let me get this right...I'm paying $50 to replace a $50 fishing pole. I get it. BUT if I just bought a new pole, I'd have it last week and I'd still have my current broken rod. And I would be stuck with that ripped off feeling of a bogus warranty that didn't honor its agreement. That has no value to me. The employee that sold it to me made it seem easy to replace. Crooks. Warranty scamming is a very big money maker. I literally gave them $13 to tell me I have to use the manufacturer warranty...but I broke it. Oh! One of the ladies said I can wait until the factory warranty is expired. That's 2 months from now. 2 year replacement plan my butt. Then I get asked why this was the best service ever...really? Only good thing about Dick's Sporting Goods is the exit. I'd add pics and receipt info but all that's in the car and I'm in bed.

Brody took the time to order a shirt I needed online and matched the warehouse price to the sale price shirt in the FlatIron Crossing store. He was more than willing to take the time to help me get the product I was interested in. Awesome service and I thank you Brody! My shirt arrived earlier than promised and the shipping was free.

I placed an online order on 5/22 for Golden State Western Conference Champ shirts. Delivery ETA was 6/1. First, I never received an order confirmation. I had to email to request status and then got an email 5/31. It's 6/6 and the items have not shipped, contacted via email and called customer service but says they cannot cancel even though it has not shipped and they cannot even give a new ETA of when or if it should ship. When I track order online it just states in process and still shows 6/1 estimated date.

On top of that, the items are now 50% off online and show in stock and available to ship for new orders, it even shows the sale prices when I go to track your order online but that is not the prices I was charged. Even the customer service agent I spoke to who was nice agreed that it should be able to be cancelled since it has not shipped and way past the stated delivery date. If I ever do get the order I will return as they won't honor the current sale prices with a refund or store credit, it will probably be the 2018 season by the time I get it. Bad service for online orders and emails, false Information. Never ordering with them again.

Received a gift of a box of golf balls with no receipt. Went into the store (without the balls first) to ask about returning the balls. Waited at customer service for five minutes. No one came so I went to the cashier (Greg) and explained I had the balls in the car. He said without a receipt I can only give you a reduced price. I said, "What would that be?" He said, "I don't know." I went to the car and brought the golf balls back in. He scanned them and said the sale price was 25.99 but that he would only give me $12.50 for them. I said "What, why only $12.50?" He said, "You don't have a receipt". I said the price on the shelf is $35 right now. The sale price is 25.99 and you are only giving me 12.50 back. He said "Yes, do you want to return them?" I said, "No" and walked out.

I was in disbelief of this policy. The golf balls were unopened and would have been returned to the shelf to be sold for $35. Not a bad idea for a company to sell the same item twice and make a nice percentage on the sale twice. However, not a very consumer friendly exchange. How about offering me a gift card to spend the 25.99 in the store? This system works for most stores I have ever had to return an item without a receipt.

Got a shirt with matching capris for my birthday that I didn't exactly like but did not want to hurt my elder family members feelings by asking for the receipt so I called to see what their policy was. When I was told I could exchange for exact items just different sizes if needed or I would get lowest selling price in the system currently I said, "That is great!" Since I got these two very small, thin items in a birthday gift bag, I just put them in my purse, went to Dick's and started looking around for my new items. I had a cart full and was trying on different things including three pairs of shoes, for over an hour when I was interrupted while on the phone by an officer and the same manager that had been helping me thru out my shopping experience who I had been giving back items I did not like after trying them on to put back for me, asking me what I was up to and who the guy I was with? What? I was alone!

So then I said, "What is this about?" to the cop when I was told they heard the sounds of the sensors while I was in the dressing room so I told them the very strappy sports bra I was trying on which the sensor was on the strappy part was twisted so being by myself I was trying to fix it yeah might of made a little noise but not much at all honestly when it hit my bare back... I thought it was a joke but no it wasn't. They asked me did I have anything in my bag. I did only what I brought in with me to exchange so then I was told to go into the back where I gave them personal info blah blah blah. Was repeatedly asked who the "guy" was I was with as if I were lying! Then they literally took my outfit from me, totaled up everything in my shopping cart which none were concealed then told to fill out papers.

I asked if I were in trouble and what for when they told me they were charging me with theft for my very own outfit so in all reality they are the thieves since they technically stole my outfit from me! The manager was a mid aged ** man named Rob and the store was Whitemarsh, MD. Guess they thought I was planning on taking all three pairs of shoes and two of them were even on hangers and the other items too and I even asked them, "Well did you find any hangers after me in the dressing room since everything in there I touched besides the shoes were on hangers..." No... did they find Any sensors taken off any merchandise by me? No. Did they see any damage done to any of the things I had touched or tried on like trying to rip a sensor off or out? No... I just don't get how they can do this! Thinking to contact my lawyer?

My son is going to the Celtics & Wizards Playoff game on Sunday. I went online to order him a jersey. To ensure the jersey got here in time, I paid express $24 to receive it on Thursday. Friday I called Dick's, they explained to me that I SHOULD receive the jersey on Monday. I explained to the young lady, "but I paid extra to receive the product on Thursday". She explained to me that the jersey is still sitting in the warehouse and I would not receive the jersey. It takes 3 days to process items. My response is "don't advertise something when you know it takes 3 days". Not only am I not going to get the jersey on Thursday, I am not going to get receive it on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. What part of that is express?

There were a pair of glasses on sale, no Store carried them and all suggested to buy them online. After purchasing the item and a day had gone by, they cancelled my order, because my billing address was different than my shipping address. No issues when I made the purchase online, I even received a confirmation email. I am out of the product and a promised gift. I will NEVER, use this store for any purchases again, not the online, not the physical store. Their customer service is a joke, uninformed and useless. I was transferred to 3 different individuals to tell me that they were not sure why the order been cancelled, just a doubt with the different addresses. What an inefficient and unprofessional way to conduct business.

Went to Dick's in Baton Rouge a few days ago... 3 employees in hunting all kept passing and glaring as if I was a shoplifter. None asked if I needed help. The cashier was rude to an employee over the walkie about a price for the man ahead of me. Who I assume was a manager then, after 5 minutes, checked me out on another register and then proceeds to say this... "Man I bet you're coming back in here again, huh?" WHO THE HELL ASKS A CUSTOMER THAT!!?? Spending money at Bass Pro or Academy forever and a day. NEVER again will my feet step in Dick's.

Like many of the other reviewers, I placed an online order. I needed golf shoes for my son, and Dick's was advertising a pair of Nikes at a really good price. While ordering the shoes, I decided to order socks as well. What was strange, there was no shipping charge for just the shoes, but once I ordered the socks, a shipping charge appeared. (Maybe because they knew they were never going to follow through on the shoe order?) The socks came immediately.

After waiting a few days, I went back to view my emails. After reading through them and realizing they hadn't charged me for the shoes, it became clear to me what they were doing. They offer a really too good to be true offer. Maybe stock a minimum number just to say they actually did sell some at that price, then hope that while people are on their page, they will buy other things. They never did notify me that they "ran out of inventory." I had to call to find out. It just seemed like a really sleazy way to do business. I won't be shopping with them again.

I took my golf clubs in on Friday afternoon at 1:00 to take advantage of free installation on grips. The young man said he would not be able to get to them today but would have them ready on Saturday. Dick's called on Saturday and said they were busy and they would have them for me Sunday morning. I had to call them on Sunday at 5:00pm only to be told that I could come get my clubs and bring them back later to have the grips installed as they were busy. I don't care if you were busy. Not my problem. You promised a service and failed terrible. I will never go back to this store or Dick's in general. They showed me that they do not care about customer service or at least me. I will tell everyone who will listen about my experience. Goodbye forever!!!

I went to Dick's to purchase hiking shoes. There were only 3 options for women while men had more than 20. There were limited sizes and the laces varied on the same shoe in different sizes (as if they were stolen). It felt as if the store did not believe women actually hiked or spent time outdoors unless they were in sandals.

DICK's SG in Metairie, LA. Dick's has one of the worst customer service. I would not visit this store in the future. I purchased a NIKE sweatshirt in one size, returned for another size days later with the receipt. Of course the store did not have the other size. That frequently occurs when I shop at Dick's. The sales clerk instructed me the online ordering has the shirt in my size, so see the other clerk at the kiosk to order. She proceeded to give me a gift card to order online. I was reluctant to accept the gift card, but I went to the kiosk with the clerk to order the shirt. That in itself was an ordeal. Manager had to be called, because the shirt online cost more than the shirt in the store. Finally, the shirt was ordered for the same price as in store, and I was on my way.

Shirt ordered on 3/14/2017, and to date, I have not received the item. I went back to the store, and asked to cancel the order, and give me my money back. The manager said he could not do that, as I had to call the 1800 # to inquire. More hassle!!! I called the 1800#, and held on for 18 minutes, before a clerk could help me. I gave them the gift card number, and other info. No order showed up in their system? So now, the CSR on the phone said it has to be sent to another department to see what happened. Now, the gift card has -0- on it, so the $50.00 disappeared and no item was received. I assume I have to go back to the store to complain again, and attempt to get my money back. This is awful customer service.

Purchased a treadmill in January 2017. Have still not received the treadmill, and customer service is unresponsive -- in spite of REPEATED promises to get back to me within 48 hours. As you can see from the details below, I have been at this for awhile. The unresponsiveness is stunning. The details: Ordered a treadmill January 3, 2017. Received an email saying the order was in process and the expected delivery date was between January 10 and January 17. The item was shipped via AIT Worldwide Logistics. I was given a tracking number. At some point in January, AIT called to say they had the treadmill and would deliver it to me when they had a full load to take to Des Moines (where I live). On March 2, I logged into my Dick’s account to check on the status, and Dick's records showed the item had been delivered. I emailed Dick’s Customer Service to report the problem. No response.

Emailed AIT (the shipping firm) on March 5. They told me the item had been returned to Dick’s at Dick’s request, and provided the tracking number. Emailed Dick’s with the information from AIT. Still no response. Emailed again on March 6. Each time, I got an automated response saying I would hear back within 24 hours. Never happened. Finally, on March 8, I received an email response to my March 2 complaint. Customer Service rep said she would look into it. No follow up. Emailed customer service rep again on March 19. She said Dick’s records show the item was delivered to me (ignoring the specifics of the problem). I again gave her the information that I had received from AIT and asked if someone at Dick’s could please contact them. No response to that email to date.

On March 19, I also called customer service, thinking it was time to talk to a real person. He was helpful. Took my information, talked to his manager, said it needed to be referred to “Research”, and they would follow up with me within 48 hours. Didn’t happen. Sent another email to customer service on March 26 detailing everything that had happened and asking for guidance. Also called customer service again on Sunday, March 26. Spoke to a manager, who apologized and said he would reach out Research on Monday and someone would get back to me that day. It is now Wednesday evening, and I have heard nothing. Pretty much at my wit's end. I paid over $1000 in January (nearly three months ago). I have now been at this for over three weeks. Still no treadmill, and no one responding to phone calls or emails.

I placed 2 orders online on 2/20/17 and 3/11/17, including items on clearance, while using a coupon. Both orders included 2 items, and both were partially shipped on the stated shipment date. After not receiving the complete 2/20/17 shipment 2 weeks past shipment date, I called customer service, since I had not been contacted via email or phone about the 2nd item. They apologized and stated the item is no longer available and will credit me. Although annoyed because I was waiting for the item, I got over it.

I had to order baseball cleats for my son on 3/11/17 and since they did not meet the required $49 for free shipping I ordered a 2nd item (sweatshirt) on clearance that was really not needed. Upon the shipment date, once again I only received the sweatshirt with no cleats. No communication about the status of the baseball cleats! Here it is on 3/26/17 and I still have no status on the baseball cleats and order that was supposed to be shipped on 3/17/17 (which it was, but without the cleats). I purchased the cleats today at a competitor's store and will no longer be using Dick's Sporting Goods!

I order my son a $120.00 pair of shoes from Dick's Sporting Goods, only to open the package and see they failed to remove the security ink tag... yeah thanks Dicks for ** us. The closest Dick's is 80 miles from us. Dick's Sporting Goods should be ** people in the ** sporting goods. Pissed. I will never order from them again.

I ordered sneakers from Dick's and used PayPal "cash" as a payment. I waited and waited and waited for delivery of said sneakers. Eleven days after my cash payment, I received an email stating that my order was canceled. No reason given. Angry, but more concerned about my money, I noticed my "cash" had not been returned to my account. After a screaming phone call, Dick's finally returned my "cash" to my account. This is a scam to earn interest on their customer's money. The shoes I ordered were out of stock, but Dick's accepted payment anyway. Unethical, and most likely illegal.

I went online to purchase a pair of sandals. For some reason the order didn't go through so after call them, they were to cancel that order and reprocess it. That never happened. They shipped both pairs and one item I had to pay UPS to have the delivery date change because I was out of town. Dick's Sporting Goods was suppose to refund the UPS charge like told me they were going to do but did not. I am still fighting to get my money.

Never have what I need; rude service. I don't know why I even waste my time. This year, it was only the end of February; baseball/softball season doesn't even start here until April. I was looking for baseball gloves for two kids. Of course they didn't have the size I needed. When you first walk into this huge store, your first thought: I'm sure they have what I need, and most likely a huge selection of it, too. NOT. I always end up going to Walmart or Target and find the same stuff and half the price. You'd think I'd have learned by now.

But that is not all. I tried to tell the cashier that baseball season is upon us and they are out of gloves, and the very defensive cashier lectured me that I should come sooner since "we are now in the middle of baseball season and we run out of merchandise very fast". It makes me wonder: haven't they learned their lesson from the year before, and the year before that??? Which was my response, after which she told me that I should plan accordingly. Last year it was about soccer cleats; yes, even shorts and socks. Wow!

My first shopping experience there was when I purchased a Kayak. It was marked down due to some scratches. I purchased it but realized that the hull cover was missing when I arrived at home. My error. I should have checked it out a little closer. But when I went back and asked them if they could provide me with the hull cover, I was told that they could not, and all sales on marked-down items were final. The kayak company sent me one at no charge, and even they were appalled that Dick's didn't try to even find the missing cover. Dick's is no longer an option for me. With a little research I can find what I am looking for at a fraction of the cost, and much better customer service.

I had ordered some soccer cleats for my child. The order came on time at the designated date of 7 days. The problem that I had was that the soccer cleats had 2 right sided shoes and they were the wrong sizes. One was a size 1 in boys and the other was a size 2. So I do not believe that the shipping department is organized.

Company warehouse excels in ineptitude. I ordered a pair of Bauer (X500) Ice Hockey Skates (size 11) over a week ago, and selected standard shipping. I was initially told I would receive my order on Monday 2/27, but I got them Thursday 2/23. Great News!!! Not exactly. The shipping box was in great condition, but I noticed the product box inside was a tad beat up. Upon opening my box, I noticed all packing material for the skates were completely absent. Not only that, they decided to send me the WRONG SIZE skate (size 9), and the WRONG STYLE (X400) skate!!! The product box contains all the correct information, however the contents reveal an inferior, pre-worn product with crust stuck to the back of the boot.

Now I'm waiting to hear from Dick's, after it's spent 3 days being shipped back, and 2 days sitting at their warehouse. I tried calling to get an update, but I was told I needed to wait for an email that could take another 1 to 3 days. I initially wanted this exchanged but I'm pretty sure I've lost all trust and confidence in Dick's, so I will be seeking a refund whenever they get back to me. I still may have to explain why I'm returning a USED pair of CHEAP, INFERIOR skates when I paid for something better. I didn't pay extra money to get duped! I should be playing hockey but it looks like I'll be waiting at least another week, whenever they decide to refund me. THANKS, DICK'S!

Purchased an airbed online. I wish I didn't. The bed was badly damaged and used and they make it impossible to return. Most companies will have the customer service send you a shipping label but these fools you can't get an agent, just an automated, expecting you to pay for the shipment out of pocket. It's not fair. I totally wasted my money.

Poor customer service from both Brianna and her supervisor Diallo. Wait times exceeded 40 minutes plus with no solution to changing my shipping address. Something so simple yet unobtainable. Also couldn't cancel order because label had been printed but there wasn't updated tracking information on UPS website, which leads me to believe that UPS hadn't actually picked up the package because when they do, they scan the label.

Also, which is horrible, while you are on hold, expect advertising throughout. What a great way to get free advertising when there is a "more than expected hold time due to increased volume of calls"... Why not fix this issue and hire more people? Or just make an excuse like Diallo did and say, "We are working on it." I'm sure you are. I would never recommend shopping at Dick's. They have lost my business. Once you go through their Customer Service, you will find many other places to buy your sporting goods.

Dick's Sporting Goods Company Profile