Dick's Sporting Goods
1.16/5
  • 1 star
Based on 74 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Dick's Sporting Goods

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 22, 2018

367 Dick's Sporting Goods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I ordered this Callaway Women's golf set for wife for Christmas. They sent the set missing the 4H Hybrid. After 12 phone calls & emails we sent back & forth 2 more sets missing the 4H. This 4H was included in the online set advertised and still is. Now they say it's not included & I have to pay for it! Terrible customer service & I have to pay for their mistake!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

On December 17th I ordered a Christmas gift online from Dick's Sporting Goods. I paid $89 with shipping and handling. When I received the item I opened it up to wrap it in the Christmas wrapping paper and I saw both men's long wear had PLASTIC SECURITY TAGS! I wanted to remove the tag, but it broke and inside of that tag was SHARP, LIKE RAZOR GLASSES with an unknown liquid inside, instantly I was bleeding and that liquid mixed into my blood!

I called the Company and I told them that "WHO SENDS AT CHRISTMAS TIME CLOTHING WITH SECURITY TAGS?", they said, "You could it take to the store and they can take it off!" I replied that If I had time for the stores and shopping, I wouldn't have shopped online! I asked them what kind of liquid was inside the plastic tag? I CUT my hand and the liquid burst into the blood, They said they don't know what chemicals it contains, they don't know even what liquid it is! Is anyone checking employments IQ's before hiring? Maybe they don't do that test on purpose! If they were given IQ tests they WON'T HAVE ANY EMPLOYEES there. One month went by and I didn't get refund FULL price either.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I must caution people that purchase something from Dick's online and do not have a physical store nearby. I purchased ill-fitting clothing that needed to be returned. I shipped the package via USPS, and it has been stalled for 8 days now. Dick's said they don't have it. USPS says they handed it to their driver. Why wouldn't Dick's know? I sent the original slip back with the package. It's sitting in a truck somewhere they say. Apparently it takes 2 weeks of limbo before they have it restocked. Then it'll be another 30 days to return payment in the form of a gift card (that's a PayPal thing; not Dick's). That's over 6 weeks after them receiving the package. Apparently that is the modus operandi. Maybe. Still not positive they know what they've done with my return.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I ordered a Columbia coat back in November and a few weeks after I received it, I found a hole in the sleeve. I called Dick's and the initial person I spoke with seemed to be very helpful - explained that I would be getting a refund and they would send me a new coat. After being on the phone for about 30 minutes getting all of my information, he sees that the coat was out of stock. He tells me to keep checking back and that when it's back in stock, to call them and get a new one. I check for WEEKS and it's still out of stock. Finally one day, it's there. I call immediately and speak to someone who takes all my information, confirms my address and tells me they will be overnighting the coat to me.

I end up reaching out to them via chat on their website later in the day because I hadn't received an email confirmation or tracking information - they tell me that I have to re-buy the coat, not at the sale price that I originally paid AND that it's again out of stock. I ask them how this is going to be resolved because it was clearly an error on their part because they don't know what they're doing and all she could say was "sorry". Now I have to keep checking back, probably for WEEKS again and will end up having to re-buy the coat which is NOT what I was told in the first place. It should have been sent to me in the first place before it was BACK out of stock and this wouldn't be an issue. Incompetence at it's finest. Thanks for nothing, Dick's.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

For sporting goods Dick's is on the pricey side. For firearms they tend to have cheaper products in stock so I avoid most of their accessories but every soo often they have a deal on firearms. Lesson learned. Will take my business to a local FFL from now on. Started back in November 2017. Went to a Dick's Woodbridge NJ to purchase a shotgun for pheasant hunting. Filled out paperwork, paid for gun, waited for NICS. From the beginning it wasn’t the best experience with the sales rep but was told, "NICS is busy today, don’t expect a callback today". Ok. So the next day no call and so on for a few days. Then I had to call for a store rep to tell me I was denied so I returned to store to get a refund and request info for denial appeal process. Completed that. Waited the 5 days for response from NICS for them to inform me I was never denied. Had other background checks ran before and around this time and no issues except at Dick's???

Anyway so I figured bad sales experience maybe mistake somewhere and went to the Dick's in Union NJ. Once again sales rep misinforming me terrible information. Started the paperwork for shotgun and was told, "Go home. Wait for a call the next day. NICS closes at 8." This was around 5 pm. So later I get a call around 8 pm by a different employee telling me he’s unable to start my paperwork process. He needed the gun make info. No prob. Gave him the model info. He then said, "Well either way I need your license and NICS is closed now so you can come tomorrow morning to start the paperwork." ??? So I said to him, "Why didn’t you take the info needed when I was there and showed my FID and DL and why did you wait over 2 hours to call to tell me this. Can you please shred or destroy my paperwork. I will not do business with your store." So the next day instead went to the South Plainfield NJ store. Starts the paperwork left.

Received a call few hours later telling me my NICS was approved for transfer and to come pick up my shotgun. So drove back to the store, met with the rep and signed the last bit of paperwork. Then his manager comes over I guess for the final approval and to walk me out with purchase but then says, "Wait I can’t release it to you. Turns out Woodbridge has you in the system as denied and we can’t take that out. We have to let someone higher up know then wait for them to clear you out of the denial system. But don’t worry your NICS is good for 30 days." ??? Not very assuring.

I was highly upset at this point because I can easily get a refund go to another store and walk out with a shotgun today but I am completely turned off by Dick's practices and policies when it comes to wasting customers time. If they did have such a system in place it should be easily corrected by a store manager not me waiting for who knows how long for some guy in Staten Island NY now to give the ok for me to take my product I paid for in full and was approved to be able to receive. I will never deal with Dick's again and highly recommend people to avoid supporting this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dicks Sporting Goods?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My Husband bought an elliptical from the Dick's Sporting Goods in Commack, New York. It was a gift for Christmas for me, his wife. They sent us a Treadmill instead. What a disappointment of a Surprise! To this day, January 8, 2018, and with many phone calls on our part to Dick's Sporting Goods, the Treadmill is still packed up sitting in my garage waiting to be picked up and returned to the store. NO ONE From Dick's is claiming responsibility or even trying to accommodate the consumer! My husband is now on his way to the store with the receipt to get hopefully a full refund. Do yourself a favor, go elsewhere for any type of equipment you want to purchase. Stay far away from this company. I hope they go out of business with their dysfunctional ways of doing business!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

My wife purchased a power rack/cage for me for Xmas. We paid $370 extra for them to deliver and build it. They delivered it, but did not build it the date of delivery. Scheduled a time to come out to build (during normal business hours, interfering with work) and they were 2.5 hrs late. After 15 minutes, they realized job was “more involved than expected” and left, promising to come back next day at 3 pm. Again, work interrupted. Shortly after 3, they called and claimed to be 2 hrs away. Offered to come next Wednesday. Lawyers now involved. They cannot build this thing, and unless it’s built, it’s worthless. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have been a faithful customer of Dick's Sporting Goods for years due to my children participated in cheerleading, track and baseball. Needless to say, I've spent thousands. My purchase didn't ring up correctly and the store did nothing. No one was willing to check the prices and I ended up leaving with nothing! I'm extremely disappointed. My purchase was only an outfit but would have cost around $150. I would appreciate it if management could get back with me. This was at Dick's Sporting Goods by Meadowbrook Mall in Bridgeport, WV 26330.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Made original order online 12/13/17. No confirmation order accepted. Thought I made mistake. Reordered 12/26/18 with gift card. Balance was wrong. Talked to customer rep who stated problem would be resolved in 48 hours. Could not place order on 12/28. Called again and spoke to customer rep and supervisor. Told problem would be resolved by 1/2/18 and check online balance of gift card.

Website didn't work on 1/3 or 1/4. Made call again to customer service on 1/4. Referred to service Cashstar to resolve gift care issue. Told it was not its problem, call Dick's again. Talked to customer rep and supervisor again. Told gift card amount was restored and could order. Tried to order again. Wouldn't accept credit card info. due to technical problem at Dick's. Called customer service again. After prolonged delay, talked to another supervisor who took gift card info on phone and placed order. Received email confirmation that order taken. This entire process to use 75 dollar gift card has taken several hours with calls and wait time. Still have not received order, which will take at least another week.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Either price match or don't. Splitting hairs on color of shoe in order not to price match is beyond ridiculous. An Adidas EM shoe is an Adidas EM shoe regardless of color. All Adidas AlphaBounce EM shoes are priced at $109 at Dick's and $70 at the Navy Exchange no matter the color, but they used the color difference as an excuse to deny price matching. I have spent my last dollar at Dick's. This practice needs to stop. Either price match or don't, but stop the lying and deceiving just to get people in the door.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I ordered a fishing rod for an upcoming excursion on 12/22. 6 days later it is still "processing", and the delivery date is saying 1/5. That is 2 weeks from the date of order! I work for an online company as the shipping manager and it is despicable to take so long just to even ship something! We send orders out twice a day, if I waited 6 days to ship something I would not have a job. Very unhappy with Dick's and will not be shopping with them in the future.

Updated on 01/07/2018: IF my package comes this Monday, it will have taken 17 days to reach me! What a nightmare. When I call Dick's everyone blames someone else. The first call was 4 days after I ordered it and noticed it was still sitting in "processing". The rep. told me "I don't know why it's still processing, it's in stock!" And then she said she "expedite the process". 3 days later, it was still in processing! It finally shipped 8 days after I ordered it, and again, IF it comes Monday it will be a total of 17 days from the date it was ordered, ONE ITEM!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Well I guess I'll add to the Christmas troubles Dick's seems to be having. I ordered a jacket on Dec 16. Went to pick it up on the 22nd and it never arrived. After waiting on UPS hold forever they told me the package was lost and it was Dick's responsibility and I had to call them. Spent 45 mins on chat with an agent who was trying to do the least possible to get rid of me. After a fair amount of coaxing he finally asked what he could do to help. Should've been his first response. I asked that they replace the order and send to a different address as I was only visiting the first address for the holidays. I repeated the new shipping address several times. He assured me the new order was placed.

I received an email a couple days later with the shipping confirmation and they shipped to the original address! I then chatted with another agent who told me another order would have to be shipped but only her supervisor could do that. However, that could only be done over the phone and I would have to call. I said this was unacceptable that I should have to call and wait who knows how long and that a supervisor should be able to call me. She said no and then ended the chat before I could respond. Very unprofessional. And the icing on the cake? I called the customer service number on their website and it said the call could not be completed as dialed. It's actually comical how bad customer service is these days but this one has just about sent me over the edge.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I ordered personalized golf balls and was told they'd be delivered on December 22. When they didn't show up, I contacted customer service and was told they'd be here by December 23. When they didn't show up again, customer service guaranteed they'd be here by Christmas. It's Christmas and they still haven't showed up! Maybe by New Year's???

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I purchased a treadmill at the beginning of December 2017 from the website. I shopped for the new treadmill based not only on quality and price, but whether or not the store offered delivery and assembly. Dick's policy delineates that they have several options, one of which was delivery and assembly. I ordered the treadmill with faith and confidence in this. I got an email saying my treadmill was being shipped and would arrive on a particular date.

I contacted customer service to find out about the option to get the treadmill delivered to and set up in my chosen location in my house. No one was able to give me any information about this since both delivery and assembly are done through a third party contractor and this contractor would contact me. I asked if they could give me any idea of what the assembly option would cost and they could tell me nothing. I subsequently received a call from the third party who does the delivery and we scheduled the delivery for the following week. The gentlemen who delivered were very nice and had to drive in adverse weather conditions (snow, at rush hour on a Friday) to get it to me and called me to let me know they were delayed by the weather. They delivered the boxed treadmill to my garage.

When I scheduled the delivery, I asked the man about assembly and he said this was done by another third party contractor and he believed that contractor would call me after the treadmill is delivered. Dick's policy clearly states I would get a call within 48 hours of placing my order to arrange for this. That did not happen. The treadmill was delivered a week ago now, and I have yet to receive a call from anyone to arrange to move it to the room we wanted it in and assemble it.

Fortunately, my stepdaughter and her husband had come up from South Carolina for Christmas and my husband was able to enlist his son-in-law's help in moving the 223 pound box from the garage into our basement. After watching a YouTube video of the assembly process for this treadmill, my husband decided he could do it himself and he is just finishing that up as I am typing this. So, ordering from Dick's was easy--but if you are ordering something large that requires assistance, good luck getting that or any information about it from Dick's.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I ordered an item that a few hours later went on sale and was told I would be unable to cancel it even though it hadn’t shipped because it had been over 30 minutes. I ordered the item again with the sale price figuring I could just return the more expensive item. They sent me confirmation that both items would be shipped same day yet delivered the sale item first and then the regular prices item which I ordered first got mailed to the wrong place and now 4 days after the delivery was promised I still have not received the shipment and all they say is “Sorry for the inconvenience”. I will never be ordering from this store again, terrible customer service and the item is not worth the trouble caused especially during the holiday season.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Ordered on-line on 11/27/17. Dick's Sporting Goods sent email confirmation order will be delivered on 12/18/17. The order was never received. Called service number at 1-877-846-9997 on 12/19/17. Spoke to customer care representative, Jessica (manager) and she was not able to provide me ship status or a ship date. Order #**. Order Date: 11/27/17.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I ordered a pair of Nike slides and a Nike jacket, I only received the Nike slides and not the jacket. I emailed them twice but no response to where the Nike jacket is that I paid 74 dollars for. On my tracking order in email it stated both have been delivered, but the slides were the only item delivered. Not happy Xmas gift for my daughter.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I spend about an hour ordering eight items from Dick's website as Christmas presents, get a confirmation of my order, and spend the rest of the day content. Most of my shopping is completed. The next day I receive an email from Dick's Customer Service how "sorry" they are, but three of the eight confirmed items are not available. I then receive three emails cancelling those three items that were already confirmed. So, they let you "order" the items, but they don't actually "have" the items (kind of like Seinfeld reserving a rental car, I guess).

I'm sitting at home questioning the smartness of this type of system when I get another email (about 6 hours after THEY cancelled the items) stating "We noticed you may be interested in these items" from my previous shopping, and offering to me the exact same items THEY just cancelled because THEY DIDN'T HAVE THEM ANYWAY. Offering items you don't have to a customer that already ordered them and got them cancelled is a system I am not sharp enough to understand. Is zero stars an option in my rating?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

THE WEBSITE IS HORRIBLE. When I tried to clear an item from the cart it wouldn't allow me to. Then I tried to just checkout and it wouldn't let me do that either. I threw my laptop across the room just like what I DID against the cowboys defense.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I ordered a black hunting backpack for a Christmas present. It was available. They sold it to me online then a few days later they said sorry out of stock. So pissed now. Why are they selling something that is unavailable or out of stock? Never ever will I buy and trust this store again. Sportman's Warehouse is a trusted store. Warning and be aware you will be ** by Dick's.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I ordered a specific tshirt for a gift for my husband. We live in Florida and this is a sports team not in the area so I had to order online. They sent me the wrong shirt. When I called they said the first shirt was out of stock and I was on the waiting list to receive a new one as soon as they restocked. She said I could send the other one back. I said I would wait till I got the first one before I sent the other back. Thank goodness I did because I called customer service today to follow up on the first shirt and she said there is no notes about the first shirt. She said, "Can I place you on a 2 minute hold" and it now has been 20 min on hold. Only saving grace is I still have the wrong shirt. Luckily I got the right team and size. Downside it is long sleeve and when in Florida do you ever really wear one of those.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I ordered a pair of shoes online and used a credit card for payment. The order was placed on 11/13/17 and scheduled for delivery 11/24/17. I called the customer service number twice after my shoes were not delivered and the order status never changed from "Processing" to "Shipped" as I was told should happen by the customer service rep over the phone. I even received an email from DSG stating that the order was delayed, but no explanation or timeline for delivery was provided. When I called customer service the second time about a week after the shoes should have been delivered, I asked that my order be cancelled and was told that "no one" could do that, as in no one in the entire company, really? So to avoid risking a credit card charge and even more hassle, I cancelled my credit card. On 12/2/2017 DSG cancelled the order. Ridiculous, I will never order online from this company again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Multiple purchases with missing/defective parts. Always becomes an issue and argument. This time a brand new box of arrows. One was missing and so were the inserts which without them the whole box was useless. In store manager told me I was SOL. Then their customer service gave me the same crap. They sold me a useless box of junk for $60, and seriously don't care. AVOID!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I ordered a pricey tumbler online from Dick's to have for in-store pick up. I do this a lot but this is my 1st time getting one from Dick's. So I order it and they only gave me 6 days to pick it up (unbeknownst to me). So since I was having a crazy work week I decided to go pick it up on the weekend (usually stores give me a month so I didn't sweat it). I got no phone call and no email reminder, but 6 days later I got a cancellation email on my order!!!! I called and there was nothing they could do to fix it! I had to wait for my funds to go back onto my CC and do it all over again. I was not even given 1 whole week! Only 6 days and without notice they cancelled my order!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Ordered a shirt online for home delivery. Item arrived with incorrect size ordered. Tried to obtain correct item size but was told I needed to return to a store or I could send item back at my expense for refund. If I had ordered incorrect size I concur I should pay but the error was on their end. I ordered the correct size and receipt states correct size but item is incorrect. Will use my rights as a consumer and choose to conduct my business elsewhere. Dick's Sporting Goods is now on my "Do Not Shop at List".

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We ordered a Powercore Dual Bag & Stand online. It came in before the actual delivery date, which was nice. After we put it together, we found that an end stabilizer cap was missing. I called Dick's. To get that piece, we have to take it down and return it to get another one! Really? I don't think so. I will think twice before I order online again from Dick's!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Ordered online for store pick-up. Received email saying ready. Got to store and had 1 item out of 4 ready. The rest was cancelled because it wasn't in stock. Now a week later they refuse to refund the original charge but charged a second time for the 1 item they had in stock. I get the runaround about it and they play the pass the buck phone crap.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

If I could give them 0-star rating I would. When I bought my Fitbit at Dick's, the cashier convinced me to buy a warranty, which cost $34 for a $150 Fitbit. I should have known better than buy a warranty from this store. A year after, my Fitbit wasn't working so I went to the store hoping to get a replacement. Well, the guy at the store told me he couldn't give a new Fitbit, and that I'd have to call their customer service to file a claim. I called and filed a claim alright. That was 4 months ago, and with many many follow-up phone calls, I still haven't receive my gift card as promised. By far the most horrible warranty program. Do not buy warranty from this store.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I placed an order on Saturday September 2nd, for my daughter’s softball gear. On Sunday my order was canceled. I spent 20 min on hold, with a customer service rep who could not figure out who to transfer me to. They finally sent me to a man named James after about 45 minutes, who was a world of help. James told me that LP canceled my order because when the order was placed, the street name for the billing address wasn't capitalized. Which is stupid. James understood my frustration. I replaced the order, and it was immediately canceled again. This time I spent over an hour on the phone, I was told that LP didn't log the call correctly and there was no reason my order should have been canceled. Order was placed again with James on the phone (mind you, now it shows 3 charges on the credit card, from Dicks, and I only have one order that has not been canceled.)

I wake up this morning and have an email that my order is shipped (how awesome, I am beyond excited.) I open the email and realize, only half of my order has shipped, and none of it is what my daughter needs right now. So I do the online chat with customer support, who tells me the cleats, bat and slide shorts aren't being shipped because of inventory. What is the point in 1 day shipping when you don't get your order in time? The ONLY reason I placed the order for the THIRD time, is because James was a saving grace, but at this point, I am not sure even he can fix this. Worst experience of my life, and I worked in retail for years. Definitely never shopping here again, once this is taken care of, and James deserves a pay raise and a promotion, because he seems to be the only person holding the call center together, and that knows what he is doing.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

If I could I wouldnt even give one star to Dick's on 1604 and Culebra in SA TX. My sister ordered my twins sneakers online for store pickup and I specifically asked Daniel in footwear if it would be a problem if I picked them up because my sister was in the military. He said no as long as I had the email from her with the barcode. Well I arrive to the store and ask April asst. manager for help and she said no I couldnt pick em up. I explained to her the situation and what Daniel said and she said no I still couldnt pick em up.

Well my sister is in the military and can't pick em up. She still said no so I asked her for her manager and of course they are not available. I ask her for corporate number and she calls another coworker to the front and makes me wait til she closes the door and he's just staring at me while she's whispering something to him. I felt very belittled yet disappointed. I will not even pick up shoes and of course never buy anything from dick's again.

Dick's Sporting Goods Company Information

Dicks Sporting Goods
www.dickssportinggoods.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use