Dick's Sporting Goods

Compare Sporting Goods Stores

Research top Sporting Goods Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered a shirt for a Christmas gift on Dec 17th using the Guaranteed by Christmas promo through Dick's Sporting Goods. I called on December 23rd because I had not yet received tracking info. I was assured by the phone rep that it could make it in time and if it did not it would be free because of the promo. On Dec 27th I received an email saying the order had been cancelled. I called to speak again with the customer service and all they offered me 20% off a future order. The $52.99 item was supposed to be free but since it was cancelled they said there is nothing they can do. Definitely seems like a scam to me to just cancel the order instead of sending it for free. Truly Disappointed!

Seem to have everything. We have used Dick's for many years. Our girls were all into sports and it was great having Dick's around for all their needs. Now we still go there but now it's for our grandsons and my husband.

My boyfriend told me about a week before Christmas that he really wanted a jersey from his favorite football team. I felt bad that I had not known this before, so I quickly went online and researched places that I could purchase this jersey from. There are NUMEROUS places I could have chosen, but I chose Dick's Sporting Goods. Big mistake. I ordered the jersey on 12/21 and paid for two-day shipping. My order was taking awhile to process, and so I called customer service three separate times to make sure my order would be received by Christmas Eve. The first two representatives reassured me that my order would arrive on time. By 6:00 on Christmas Eve I had not received my order, and this is when the third representative told me that it would not be there on time. I realized that Christmas was a busy time, but I had paid for the two-day shipping.

I figured it was okay if my order came a couple of days late. However, not only did my order not come by Christmas, it was not delivered until 12/29. That is WAY beyond two days. Because my order was so late I filed a claim for a refund. I was told it would take 3-5 business days for my claim to be reviewed. Another representative told me 5-7 business days. I am now on business day number 8 and I have contacted customer service four times and all representatives have said that I should receive an email and there is nothing they can do for me. So now not only was my order late, but my claim is also late. On top of it all, the size I ordered didn't fit, and so I had to exchange it. Dick's Sporting Goods apparently doesn't do exchanges, only returns and refunds.

I got a refund and had to re-order the jersey and wait yet again for it to be shipped. I was reassured it would take two business days. I re-ordered the jersey on 12/29, and it was not delivered until 1/5. Both times that I ordered something online it was beyond later than I was told and customer service has made false promise after false promise. I intend on getting a full refund, but I am still waiting on my claim. Do not order anything online from Dick's Sporting Goods.

So, I made my order on 01/02/2017 and they took my money. So, this whole time I was thinking I would get my merchandise, but I was wrong. They just sent me an email stating that they have cancelled the order even after they took my money from my account. I was so disappointed!! This was supposed to be a gift and everywhere was out of stock but supposedly they had it!! Never I will purchase anything from here and will tell my family and friends about it. FYI people I know loves sports and hunting!

I was surprised when my granddaughter said at last minute she wanted roller skates for Christmas. I saw Dick's holiday guarantee and felt secure in ordering. I ordered skates within deadline and naturally no skates on Dec 24. The day after Christmas I looked further online and saw you had to call customer service to make a claim, claims are not automatically applied and this had to be done by 1/03. So I did this. I finally was connected with a person 27 minutes later and made the claim. Just received email today that it was denied due to the brand of skates. Guaranteed Delivery is a risky business especially if a child's Christmas gift is at stake. But to add that it is free if it is not delivered and not honor your ads. Dick's you're the worst!! Doesn't say much for your company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dicks Sporting Goods?

I placed an online purchase for Asics Gel-Nimbus 18 running shoes on 12/27/16. I received the order on January 4, 2017. When I opened the box, the shoes were already laced up and the bottoms of the soles were dirty. When I called customer service on January 5, 2017, the agent stated that the shoes were now out of stock. I asked her if she could locate a replacement pair at a local store and she stated they were all out of stock as well. She was unable to offer a time frame for having them in stock again and she told me to return the shoes using the return label included in the shipment. I asked her how long it would take for a refund and she said it would be 7-10 days for them to receive the return and another 7-10 days to process the refund.

Not only is my order completely unacceptable, but now I have to wait 20+ days to get a refund so that I can purchase shoes elsewhere, and I have concern about their honesty and integrity in regards to whether they will even acknowledge the return since I have no way to confirm it from my end. My fear is that I will end up with no shoes and no money! I will not order from Dick's again and I will suggest that others do the same. I am very disappointed in their lack of concern for the quality of their products and their customer service.

Wow - I really wish I would have found this site before placing my online order with Dick's. I see now that our collective experiences are similar, and this retailer has horrible customer service. If I could rate my experience "zero" stars I would have. (Not so) Briefly: Ordered an expensive (to me) exercise bike for a mutual Christmas gift for my wife and I (was over $900). It was a "fan" bike. Had the fan blade front wheel and we were going to start using it for exercise at home. I had seen crappy plastic ones at big box stores. I was looking for a sturdy, gym-quality bike, and believed I had found one at Dick's. I ordered the bike on November 23, 2016. It said "In Stock" and estimated delivery date was 12/13. Those two factors were important in my ordering decision, and so I pulled the trigger and bought it.

12/13 came and went. I made my 3rd call to customer service on 12/16. I was told "it's Christmas," "we're busy," "we're sorry" each time. They also kept blaming the "outside vendor," "the shipper," etc., but the two things keeping me sane by that point was 1) it wasn't Christmas yet, and 2) they hadn't billed my card yet. Magically, on 12/16, the shipper "received" the order from Dick's, I was charged the $900+ on 12/18, and they provided a tracking number. Still not Christmas, still might make it. I fully believe that my phone call on 12/16 (3 days after I was estimated to receive it) was the time the actual order got placed. I checked the tracking number daily (AIT shipping). It said stuff like "attempted pick-up" and "information e-mailed", but I couldn't find who tried to pick it up from where or what info was in who's e-mail.

I called in a panic on 12/22, hoping for an update. The shipper was blamed, "we'll check on it, a supervisor will call you back." No call, no Christmas present. After Christmas I asked for a cancellation/refund. Call taker told me he couldn't authorize a refund because it was "over $900, my supervisor has to approve it." I finally spoke with a supervisor and cancelled this God forsaken order on 12/28 at 6:04 PM. Was told refund "in 3-5 business days." Magically, again, I received a call on 12/29, from AIT (the shipper), saying "we've got your bike. We're ready to deliver tomorrow 12 NN-5 PM." I couldn't believe it. The day after I cancelled it they finally wanted to deliver. I called Dick's, said "what's up. Is this a scam or a trick. What happens if this thing gets left at my door." Spoke with a supervisor again. Was told to refuse delivery with shipper, call Dick's back 2 business days later.

They "normally require our physical receipt of returned items then 3-5 business days for refund," but because of my troubles she said (her name was "Summer") that if I called 2 days after cancelling they would be able to look in computer, see the refused delivery, see that the bike was coming back, and they could "expedite" my refund. Today is 1/4/2017. I do not have my refund. I called this morning (I hope for the last time in my lifetime) and was told that they see the refusal, they see the return, but they would never tell me they could expedite refund (calling me a liar after ruining my Christmas), and that it could be 8-10 business days be the WORST ONLINE SHOPPING EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD. At no time did ANYONE at Dick's try to make this right. No discounts, no explanation, nothing ever initiated by them, just endless excuses, scapegoating. The have my money and I have not received promised goods/services.

Called my bank to dispute the charge. They said I had to wait 15 days from cancelled order. Marked it on my calendar - Friday 1/13. I don't expect resolution before then. If you were smart enough to find this site before making a dick.com online purchase - congratulations, run away! If you are coming here (like me) after a horrible dicks.com experience - I am sorry. I will tell anyone who asks, and many who don't ask, how crappy this business truly is.

The worst online experience! A week before Christmas I ordered my son a Lebron James basketball jersey and paid an additional fee for next day shipping. The jersey didn't arrive as expected. I contacted customer service and I was told that the item never left the warehouse and it will be shipped out again. That didn't happen! I talked to another agent who told me that it was USPS who didn't deliver it. The USPS confirmed that the package was never sent from Dick's Sporting. The next agent assured me that the jersey would be sent out and that I would receive a guarantee to deliver refund in addition to the jersey. I didn't arrive & I was unable to track it! Finally, the last agent admitted that it was out of stock. In the meantime, Dick's did not contact me once about the issue! Now I have to wait 7-10 days for a refund!

Basically... I needed help placing an online order. With Phone Customer Service, I hung up after waiting 20 minutes for my call to be taken. With Online Chat, I disconnected after waiting 22 minutes for a conversation to start. Was able to successfully complete my order online by myself, only to have the order cancelled the next day because my Successfully ordered item was now Out Of Stock! Guess I am a glutton for punishment because I then went to the store to purchase more items. Purchased Hiking Socks for my son as a stocking stuffer. Imagine my surprise when I went to fill the stocking and there was only ONE sock attached to the hanging tab!! Can't wait to submit my review of the Return Process!!! 3 encounters, 3 FAILS! Not a good track record... I HATE THIS STORE and I am so upset that it is the only sporting goods store conveniently located near me. :-(

It's January 1 and I'm still waiting for items that were in-stock and guaranteed for delivery by Christmas. Have attempted online chats with customer service reps several times. Chats often timed out because the reps didn't respond. I was finally able to speak to someone who told me to be patient because it's a busy time of year. Then they shouldn't make guarantees! So it's been 3 weeks and my items haven't even shipped yet, nor have I received the "promised" credit.

The customer service and industry knowledge varies from store to store, and even between departments. I generally try to do some research before I stop in, knowing that someone will be able to help me narrow down my search once I'm in the store. I like Dick's because it has a great selection. I'm part of their rewards program, so I frequently receive coupons that I can use on top of my rewards certificates, which can make things more affordable. I like to shop their sales, also, to find good deals on normally really expensive things like outerwear and shoes. When they don't have my size in store, I'll just go online and have it shipped directly to my house. I know they can have things shipped to the store, but it just seems easier to have it shipped to me directly.

I totally understand things happen. I myself have my own business but I ordered something a month before Christmas for my daughter that was just waiting for these basketball socks. I was so excited. I got worried about a week before Christmas and was going to call that day. Got a email. My order got cancelled. I contacted them. Very understanding. Just stated I ordered it a month in advance and wanted to know why it was cancelled. I had ordered something from Best Buy (awesome experience all the time) the same time and it came two weeks prior. The lady promised from Dick's it would be here Friday. I was happy she understood the importance of the item and thanked her so much for being able to get them here before Saturday. Guess what? Saturday Christmas eve nothing. I called still understanding but the guy said, "Sorry. Don't know what happened. It should have been there. Don't know what to tell you." Wow.

So Dick's sent me an email saying "order today and have your order by December 21st at the latest". Ordered December 15th. On the 22nd I call. They said it will be here the next day so I call back today on the 23rd. They tell me "oh you may not get it till another few days". I asked "well what can you do about this." They said nothing. If I needed the 75$ in merchandise I should go to the store and buy. I asked the so called Manager his name. He says "don't worry about it" so I reach out to my family lawyer and after the holidays we will be filing charges for false advertising and also on the manager since I recorded that call because of the experience I had the day before with them.

I bought a bike online from the Dick's Sporting Goods homepage on 12/19. The idea was that the bike should arrive around Christmas so that I could use it during my vacation in Florida. I received a confirmation email that same day, and another email informing me that a shipping label had been created. After that, nothing happened, no update on the UPS tracking system, so I called them on Dec. 21. I was told that the shipment was probably lost and that they would reship it. After that, again nothing happened. No email confirmation of the reshipment, no updating of the tracking number on UPS. So I called them again today.

After 60 minutes on the phone, I was told that they "thought the item might have shipped, but UPS forgot to provide updates" (nonsense according to the UPS homepage), that they had no information whether a re-shipment had gone out, that they did not know when my bike would arrive if at all, that they could not cancel the order and that they could not issue a credit for the bike rental I would have to pay now. I have never encountered such poor customer service anywhere in the US. I will never buy from them again.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After all of the uncertainty surrounding this order, I did in fact receive the item in time for Christmas. I'm upgrading to 2 stars, as Dick's did change the shipping to overnight to ensure that the package arrived on time. I remain dissatisfied due to the poor communication, unacceptably long hold times to speak with a representative, and the dysfunctional online chat feature. I would only order from Dick's as a last-resort option in the future.

James of Cedar Grove, NJ on

Original Review

Dick's is by far one of the worst online retailers. Calls to customer service are placed on hold for 20 minutes or more and email communication regarding order status is seriously deficient. Would give zero stars if it were possible. I ordered something and paid for 2nd day air service, but the site is not showing that the item has been shipped. It is in stock and when I called to inquire about the order, I was on hold for 25 minutes. I questioned the agent about the item arriving on time and she simply said it would be there before the Christmas holiday.

I checked the order online today and it does not show that it was shipped, so I have been sitting on hold once again for over 25 minutes and someone just came on the line. They told me the order was shipped and gave me a UPS tracking number. When I entered the number, it was not recognized by UPS. The agent said the package would be delivered tomorrow, but at this point, I find that highly suspect. Also tried online chat, but no one comes online... it's a joke.

Dick's really needs to get its act together, as there are many options out there that are far superior in terms of service and they invest appropriately in the infrastructure needed to support business volume, regardless of the time of year. Either you're all-in or not and Dick's is clearly not. VERY disappointed and will not do business with them again. Am going to buy the item locally and if I ever receive my order from Dick's it's going right back to them.

On Monday Dec 19th ordered a hoodie for my husband. I was hesitant because Christmas day was approaching fast. When viewing the website the following message showed "or before 12:00 cst and get your order before Christmas". So that is what I did. I placed the order and my bank account held the funds as Dick's sent for an authorization. I also recd 2 emails stating my order was IN STOCK and my order was RECEIVED. On Tues 20th I chatted online with customer service and was advised shipment will go out and I SHOULD get by Christmas. Meanwhile funds are still holding against my bank account. On Weds 12/21 I chat again with another agent on line. I was advised at that time there was a shipping label being created (2 days later just creating a label).

I asked if I was going to rec the product by Christmas and the answer I recd was "we can't make any promises, not within our control." REALLY??? So I asked as a courtesy to be shipped overnight, again I was told "we can't do that." REALLY??? I review my bank account and the funds are no longer on hold and my bank account has not been charged. Date of Order 12/19/16 - Order Status - Item(s) located in stock - Today is 12/21 and still not shipped - I think it's safe to say - chalk up this Christmas gift from my daughter to her Dad. THANKS DICK'S SPORTING GOODS!!! False advertisement on your part...you should never post on your website if you can guarantee--- I would have never ordered had that dates for delivery (by Christmas) not be provided!!

Placed an order for 2 items to be picked up at the Victor NY store. Order was confirmed, my payment form was accepted, and I printed my pick-up/payment receipt. Went to the store within 24 hrs of online purchase and told that one item was out of stock. I explained I had a confirmation, and was told that didn't mean anything the way their computer processes orders. I wasn't happy but took my one item and left. I went to Gander Mountain and purchase the other item along with another $138 worth of gifts for Christmas. Grand total with the original item was over $178.

Three days later I get an email from Dicks for a $10 coupon for my recent online purchase that was incorrect. Fantastic I thought. WRONG!!! I ordered an item online again. Dicks confirmed availability at my store. I get a second email that states "Your order has been successfully submitted" I thought great. WRONG!!! I get a third email stating "Your order is being processed" Fantastic. I can go pick up my order. WRONG!!! I get to the store and that item is out of stock. I get an ASST. MGR ED with an attitude unbecoming to retail sales, explains their process and walks away from me. A sales associate, Mike from the golf department steps in, calls another store 15 miles away, checks on availability for me and asks them to hold the item. Great sales associate. He should be the store mgr.

By the way I asked for the store manager and was told he was having lunch and could not be disturbed. I waited a half an hour, and he never showed. It gets better. I have already used my $10 coupon on the online order that is not available and it cannot be used again at the other store. I get home and call Dicks customer service, on hold for over 10 minutes due to high call volumes, so here I am writing this review. Stay away from this retailer with terrible customer service. Thank the heavens above, our town is getting a Bass Pro Shop only 1 mile from this terrible retailer. I'm sure there wont be many days left for Dicks like this once a competitor shows up that knows what great customer service is all about. Merry Christmas to all!!!

I placed an order online on the 14th Dec and received a confirmation. Today I get an email stating, "We deeply regret to inform you that despite our best efforts, we were unable to complete your order." This is 4 days before xmas!! Buyers beware a confirmation for online order means nothing. By the way, I called a local Dick's store and they had the items in stock!!!

Updated on 12/30/2016: This is a follow-up to my last review. I decided to do a pick up in store/order online. I received a confirmation email, receipt and an email stating my order was ready to be picked up. I dutifully went to the store on Xmas eve morning with all paperwork in hand only to be told they didn't have my items!! To add insult to injury I was also told I should pick something comparable! I will, but never from Dick's Sporting Goods again.

I have sent 2 emails regarding my phone order service. Both replied back with a response that someone would reach out to me in 24 hrs. It is now 5 days. I'm guessing 24 hrs to them is NEVER. They are disgusting!!!

Six days ago, I ordered a Joola Pong table from Dick's Sporting Goods. As of Friday, the order still had not shipped, nor have I been billed yet through PayPal. I called today to cancel the order as I was able to pick up a very similar item somewhere else. I was told, that even though it hasn't shipped and I haven't been billed yet, they could not cancel my order because it is coming from an outside vendor. They would put in a request to have the order cancelled, but it was not guaranteed.

The item could still potentially ship out, bill me, and THEN I will have to go to the trouble of shipping it back and waiting 7-10 days for a refund of my money. I will NEVER order from Dick's Sporting Goods again. I feel as if customer service did not try very hard to proceed with this cancellation. They said they couldn't call the vendor because they didn't know who the vendor was. I feel as if they didn't try very hard to accommodate this request and that if they tried a little harder they could cancel my order. This is an absolute ridiculous policy that needs to be changed. Dick's has lost a long time customer due to this.

I went to Dick's in North Haven, CT and joined their rewards program. I received a coupon for $10 off. I looked at the exclusions on the coupon before using. I bought some ammo and at the checkout the clerk told me ammo was excluded. I told him the coupon did not specify that and he said I needed to go to the website to see all the exclusion. He was right ammo was excluded. As were about 70 other items. I wrote the headquarters and they responded in so many words that I was stupid and the coupon excluded ammo. I shredded my Dick's cards and will never go there again. Go to your local guns and ammo store. They will treat you nicely without disrespect. Stay away from Dick's. Scam artists.

Order on Dec 10, 2016 and now it is Dec 18, 2016. Contacted company, they say it hasn't shipped yet it's ready to ship. The only s=thing they say it is free if not received by Christmas. Unacceptable.

I ordered a Red/Blk ping pong table and I got a Blk/White table. Store said they made a mistake while placing the order and even after multiple phone calls they are not able to provide black legs for the table and fix their mistake. No accountability... bait and switch company. I would never buy again from Dick's Sporting Goods.

We researched and had the Black Friday deals we wanted. We followed their website to the letter. We received an Order Confirmation and an Order Number the day we placed the order. Then on December 5th we received an Apology email letting us know that the order would not be filled: "We're so sorry for the recent cancellation of one or more items from your order. Despite our best efforts, we were unable to fulfill your order due to overwhelming holiday demand. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this causes you over the holiday season. Consider giving us another shot and taking 15% off your next order!"

When I emailed the customer service department the response was not that it was due to Holiday demand but rather that they had posted an incorrect price on the item for the special. They also provided me with links to read on my own their internet policy. I have asked them to provide me with details to how many people were affected by what appears to be a bait and switch. No worries on our end. We will no longer shop at Dick's nor will I support them in any way.

Order cancelled - tough cookies. I placed an order online with Dick's because I was going on vacation prior to Christmas. I received all of my orders except for 1. On Dec. 9, I received an email stating that my order was cancelled. No explanation or reason as to why. I had to call the customer service number, and as you can expect, the wait times were long due to the holiday season. I finally found out the item was no longer in stock and their guaranteed holiday delivery did not qualify because the item was no longer in stock. They could replace it with a larger item, but that's not what was needed or available when I ordered. All she could tell me was, "oh well. Sorry." But it took them 9 days to try and fill the order and let me know so I was scrabbling at the last minute to find a replacement item. Horrible company and cannot be relied upon.

I purchased a gun 11 days ago and I went to pick it up and a employee by the name of WILL was being very rude saying he does not think it's safe for me to take my gun that I purchased because he "feels" I'm going to sell it to someone. First off why I purchase my gun is none of your damn concern. Go fix your customer skills because you are very rude & disrespectful. Do not I repeat do not show to work with a bad attitude! Jesus loves you.

Ordered holiday gifts for daughters online from Dick's -- over a week ago, and after order was accepted and supposedly was being processed, and AFTER one of the items I ordered was shipped. I find that the order is still available through Amazon online. So Dick's could have obtained it and forwarded it to me. I will no longer be shopping at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Purchase a Striker Ice Men's Climate Jacket on 11/21/16. It was delivered on 11/26/2016 with a heavy scent of fish and wrapped in a taped plastic bag that was taped closed instead of the new sealed bag. I called for a return/exchange. I received the return label after 3 business day and shipped it back in another 2. I have to constantly call back to their customer service to check on the exchange status and received multiple responses about initial exchange. Request was denied with no reason. They last submitted an exchange on 11/29/16 and I am still waiting for my jacket. I am still waiting for a jacket I paid for and expected to have after 15 days ordering the product. The result is that they will be shipping the jacket on the 9th and it will be shipped ground 3-6 business days. So in total, I will have to wait ~1 month for a jacket purchased. Customer service has been excellent from Dick's therefore I gave them another star.

I received a $50 gift card from my job at a Health Fair. I decided to pay it forward. I used $15 to send someone a secret Santa gift. I then went back in and ordered a pair of snow boots for my toddler. As soon as I clicked submit I noticed I forgot to change the address to mine instead of the secret Santa person. I immediately called Customer Service. It had to be less than 5 minutes. They told me they would change the address. The next day I received an email with a tracking number. It was STILL the wrong address. I called and used the online chat function. A guy told me I could go to UPS and pick up my package. I drove 30 minutes only to be told I couldn't get the package because the address didn't match my license.

The day before Thanksgiving I received a call from a supervisor. She apologized and asked me to verify my correct address. She assured me my package would be sent in two days. I then received another email. WRONG ADDRESS AGAIN! I called again. A man told me nothing was changed. At this point I asked to be refunded. They told me they couldn't do that. The man claimed to have changed the address. Today I get another email. Nothing has changed. I spoke with another lady (Lucy) and she told me to just wait and see what happens. She said she did not know if the address was changed. I told her the email had a tracking number and the wrong address. She ended the chat. I STILL do not have my package or my money back. Never again will I buy from this store. They have made a minor adjustment very difficult. THANKS FOR NOTHING! No customer should have to call 12 times and still not receive any help.

Wanted to purchase a new hunting rifle at the Dick's store in Madison, MS. I found one I wanted. I have a Mississippi firearms weapons permit and other identification which did not matter according to "Dick's policy" so they had to do a background check. This should only take minutes but was told it could take up to 3 days. I never received a phone call back from the store after 5 days. I called the manager and he gave me the run around telling me the system was rejecting my request. So I took it upon myself to do some research and after making numerous calls to the FBI and the ATF, I was told by the FBI that the background check came back fine that same day I tried to buy the rifle.

Dick's can and will refuse to sell you a firearm if they don't "like" you or maybe because of skin color. I believe they were racially profiling me because of my pacific islander decent. Needless to say, I called Dick's again and after the manager found out I contacted the FBI, his whole attitude changed and was telling me it was ok to come back to their store to purchase the rifle. Of course I never bought the rifle and because of the situation, I will never buy anything from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Dick's Sporting Goods Company Profile