Academy Sports

Academy Sports + Outdoors

4.0/5 (301 ratings)

About Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports and Outdoors is an athletic apparel and sports equipment retailer with more than 290 locations across the U.S. Customers can browse a user-friendly website or visit a physical location and purchase discounted outdoor and fitness equipment and clothing, shoes, athletic accessories, gift cards and other health and fitness products.

Pros

• Fast shipping
  • Discounted prices
  • Name-brand items

Cons

• Does not ship to AK, CA or HI

Bottom Line

Academy Sports and Outdoors is a large sports and fitness retailer that offers clothing, equipment, accessories and shoes. The company has physical locations as well as an online shopping experience.

Academy Sports Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Ben Manager on Duty at the airport location took over where one of the sales associates was lacking in helpfulness. Either lack of knowledge or willingness. Doesn't really matter because Ben took great care in trying to pinpoint the time, place and date and even asking me to point to the merch that I had purchased.

He had a very professional presence and was dedicated to getting me taken care of. This is example should be recognized. Ben is the type of employee that companies often overlook and don't realize the service that they provide. THANK YOU Ben.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I have been working with customer care doing everything asked of me. Was told to return product to store we purchased from the Mckinney Tx location. Was very rude and racist at the same time. Went back and forward fussing as if this item had been stolen even with seeing transaction not to mention this item is being recalled, so it really shouldn't have been a problem. They only gave partial credit as a store credit. I've reached out to corporate as well.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I ordered a hoodie for my son and it came in wrong size. It's 3 days till Christmas Eve and there's no time to get it now. They gave me a 15% off code that doesn't work. Now I gotta pay 5 more to get it.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Bad Review for the Grand Parkway Academy Sports Store, 23155 Katy Freeway, TX, Katy 77450. Don’t bother with curbside pickup. It’s a joke. Very sad for those injured like me who cannot make it into the store. No numbers at the pickup spot and website check in doesn’t work. Calling their telephone number takes 10+ mins for someone to pick up. When we got someone to pickup the phone they said they’d be right out but it took another 30mins to get So we had to go into the store. We noted that other curbside pickups all had to go into the store to get their orders. Inside too was Poor Customer Service. Total time there almost 1hr. Very upset!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I ordered 5 long sleeve crew tops and the first three to come all had some form of damage to them. I understand they are cheaper than Columbia shirts, but expected better quality than I was given. Horrible.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I ordered 4 shorts, 4 different colors. They arrived in 3 different packages. This helped cause the problem, I received 2 of one color. Called them, wanted me to print out return label, but I don’t have printer. Decided to just give up, too sick to deal with this.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I am not a lawyer. False advertising is described as the crime or misconduct of publishing, transmitting, or otherwise publicly circulating an advertisement containing a false, misleading, or deceptive statement, made intentionally or recklessly to promote the sale of property, goods, or services to the public.

The FTC Act prohibits unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, advertising must tell the truth and not mislead consumers. A claim can be misleading if relevant information is left out or if the claim implies something that's not true.

Academy Sports ran a “Big Deal” 3-day sale on the Spalding Arena Series II 60 in Glass In-Ground Basketball System, regular price $1600 for $800 from June 1 – June 3, 2021. SKU:123001724 Item: 88048G. Early in the morning when this deal became available, your website for ALL locations in KS, MO, AR & OK showed the same – Out of Stock, 0 of 1 items available for pickup. I took a screenshot of all. Your stores all have a stanchion sign in front of the display advertising this basketball goal for $800. I have a photo of this too. The problem is there were none to sell in the stores either. Your store manager at the location in my Kansas hometown said, “They do this all the time. They advertise items we never have. There are no rainchecks. We are sorry you are frustrated. We do not have this goal, we have not had this goal for some time nor do we know when we will get it.” Oh, and they would not sell the floor model to me. Nice.

Is this a common business practice for Academy Sports? None of these can purchased in the 4 state area where I live. All stores within 55 miles of my home (and the 4 state area) did not have one of these in stock nor could they tell me when they were getting one, certainly not within the 3 day sale period. Pathetic. You drove traffic to your store. You ticked off everyone who wanted to buy this. I have purchased from Academy Sports before. I don’t understand what your team is thinking. Your team knew there were none in stock. Your team knew there were none coming in within the sale window.

What did Academy Sports expect to gain from this other than customer complaints, frustration, inconvenience, loss of brand loyalty? I sent a letter to your CEO, Ken Hicks, two weeks ago. NO ONE from your company reached out to me. Even your executive complaint team stinks. I contacted your Customer Service team and they offered me 10% off the regular price when it is in stock. Again, is this your normal business practice?

I gave you two weeks to reach out to me. You did not. I will now post this in as many locations as I can so buyers are aware of just how inept your company can be. I won’t be expecting to read of your winning any JD Power awards any time soon.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I placed an order today before 12:00. It was the Father’s Day special... But a Magellan get one half off. I opted in to receive texts when order was ready. Over FOUR hours later.... I was informed that my order was unable to be filled completely. I spoke to a person and that said that my order has just been completed.... Over FOUR hours later. I told her to cancel my order, she said just because one shirt is unable to be filled. This special was a buy one get once half off, therefore it does me no good to have the third one on order (which is why I ordered 4).

It was in stock when I placed my order, If the manager and Director could get their employees to fill an order before over four hours later, the shirt would have been there. The director tried to say the orders are filled as they come in. If that is the case, my order should have been filled completely, since the shirt was in stock when I placed my order. Will not shop here ever again. I found on my bank card where they charged me two times. I only placed one order.

Original review: June 14, 2021

This chain of sporting goods stores always has the latest and greatest offerings. They have an amazing selection of everything outdoor. The only negative is the prices are always a bit higher but they always offer price match.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I was pleasantly surprised by the diverse amount of products available at Academy. They had a great selection of personal fitness and workout gear but also had sporting goods I did not initially associate with this chain at competitive prices. I found some great outdoor gear and a grill for the house without the hassle of going to Wal-Mart. Definitely a plus. Staff was knowledgeable and helpful.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Shopping in store is great, the store brands are high quality for great prices. Stock seems to be kept at a minimal amount though, and shipping online is extremely high. Overall if I’m needing any sports or outdoor recreation items, or athletic wear and shoes, Academy Sports is my in store go to.

Original review: May 31, 2021

Academy has always been clean and organized store with a lot of athletic gear for all sports. Because I've played on multiple rec teams, I am always looking for new softball, basketball, biking, and flag football gear, including my cleats, cups, gloves, and other protective gear. It's affordable and has multiple options. Unfortunately, over the past couple years (Covid-aside) they've been less organized and don't always have the items needed. I'm not sure if it was related to shipping from imports, but it's been harder to find the items needed.

Original review: May 30, 2021

Academy Sports is one of my top sporting goods store to go to. Recently purchased sneakers and looked at tubes for floating down the spring. Did compare prices and ended up just getting sneakers. The staff was friendly, clean store, no line to check out.

Original review: May 18, 2021

On May 2nd, 2021, I ordered 2 items from Academy Sports & Outdoors in preparation for a family crawfish boil on May 22nd. Both items showed that they were in stock. My credit card was charged the full amount on May 4th. The first item was crawfish trays and I received these items on May 5th via Fed Ex. The second item ordered was a 100qt crawfish cooker. I received an email from Academy on May 5th stating that a tracking number with Fed Ex had been created but a delivery date would not be set until Fed Ex picked the package up.

After a week, (May 11th), I reached out to Academy through their customer service 800 number to check on the status. I explained that I still had time to order the item from a different vendor and receive it by May 22nd. I was told that the item was in stock at their warehouse and Fed Ex was dealing with a large backlog of orders and that I couldn't cancel my order until 10 to 12 business days from the order date. I went to FedEx.com and searched the tracking number and was told by Fed Ex, "The shipper, (Academy), has prepared your package; however they have not yet given it to Fed Ex. Please contact the shipper of your package for further information".

I contacted Fed Ex a second time and was told Academy had not given the item to them and I contacted Academy once via chat and once via customer support and was told I could not cancel the order and that they could not contact the warehouse to see if there was a problem without starting a tracking ticket and that would take 3 weeks. Bottom line, I was looking for an alternative to ordering from Amazon. Amazon has made mistakes, however, they quickly corrected the mistake and/or refunded the monies right away. I was going to give Academy online a try and I sincerely regret that decision.

Original review: May 14, 2021

Yes I just got a notified about a pickup or or delivery! My Home and delivery address are the same. It's **. Get back to me asap please. Thanks Donny **. I have an identity theft case, I have not ordered anything from you. Call or email me asap Urgent, I have rights.

Original review: April 23, 2021

I am a teacher and was sent an Educators Coupon for 20% off my entire purchase. My husband and I did not need anything from Academy but since we had the coupon we decided to go buy something. My husband chose a Yeti cooler. This is a purchase we would not have made unless we had a coupon. When we went to check out the digital coupon that was emailed to me was not able to be scanned by the cashier. We asked if he could type the numbers in and he said, "No. We don’t do that anymore." He said we would have to go home and print out the coupon. So we asked to see a manager. When the manager showed up he said, "We can type in the numbers now can’t we?" After he just told us they don’t type the numbers in anymore. She told the cashier to give us 20% off of our purchase and then immediately left knowing that he couldn’t complete the transaction without her entering her manager's number.

So we continued to wait for her to come back but she was in the customer service area helping other customers and was very rude to my husband when he asked her if she could come finish our transaction. We chose not to purchase anything and left. She could have stayed for two seconds longer and punched her number in to complete our transaction but chose to walk off and leave us. The cashier could have chosen to find a way to give us our discount which the company emailed us. But he was too lazy and told us to go home and print it out and come back. These two employees were both young and poorly trained. They had no customer service skills. We won’t be back! We’re just going to get a Cody cooler from H-E-B where we always get good customer service.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I ordered a Nike shirt and shorts. I received the items today with the theft device still on the shirt. The closest store is 3 hours away. I was told to ship it back and he could provide a discount if I wanted to re order the shirt so I decided to. I originally paid $19.99 for the shirt. After the rep says he applied all discounts the total is $19.97. Where the hell is the discount. Very insulting to a customer. I just had surgery on my foot three times so I use a walker and should be home bound. Now I gotta find a relative to take me to a Fed Ex to return the shirt. So for my inconvenience I was offered 3 cents. So I didn’t re order the shirt and will never order again from them.

Original review: April 1, 2021

It seems Academy Sports uses a shady Freight company called EFW. I was overcharged for shipping and only to be told, "If you want your package sooner you will have to pick it up." Item was ordered on March 17th and expected before the 31st. After talking to efw (3 calls and live chat 45mins wait for each) only to be hung up on the first 3 times.

Original review: March 17, 2021

Purchased a brand new $999.99 Pelican Catch PWR 100 and was charged $99.99 to ship TX to NY. The delivery driver said to me before he even opened the door, "this thing is in pretty bad shape". It was DESTROYED. And NOT 100% by the shippers. The boat had a thick layer of grime proving it had been stored outdoors, unprotected for an extended period of time. Scratches and heavy gouges all over the hull, keel, water line, even the cockpit area. Dents in the hull, punctures...it was an absolute horror show. And many of the damage was "dulled over" meaning it happened a while ago. Fresh damage is glossy at first but "cures" over time as more dirt, dust, pollen, sunlight, etc. Took 30 pics, refused the delivery, contacted customer service. Was told they could give me a 10% refund. ARE YOU KIDDING? This thousand dollar boat isn't worth four hundred now and you want me to keep it and take a hundred bucks? An insult.

Escalated the claim and 2 days later a "customer service supervisor" reading from a script offered me 10% plus the shipping or 25% but no shipping refund. So they upped the offer by another $100. Academy Sports makes me sick. There is an easy 45% markup on these kayaks and they insult a customer by selling them a worthless mess and expect them to swallow it down for a couple hundred bucks. WRONG ANSWER Academy Sports. How much does a heavy .mil plastic bag cost? How much is a cardboard box? You're selling and shipping a thousand dollar boat...PROTECT IT!! Even the kayaks outside of Walmart are in plastic bags. What a joke. For a company so big and so wealthy, you would have expected them to treat their product and their customers better. Pathetic.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I tried to buy a rifle there and filled out the paperwork for it. If I have a criminal background It would show up and I would be turned down! If there is have been requests for background checks in the past the request gets put on delay and will stay on delay because of how busy the FBI is and any other place after a couple of week of not hearing anything bad any other place would go ahead and ok the sale. But not amateurish Academy! You are a joke of a business!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

Today I was on the search for a inflatable 1 person kayak to purchase for my daughter. I settled on the K1 challenger. I seen that they advertised free shipping. Upon looking at all the print I only seen it said exclusion on ammunition and guns. And heavy/bulk items not included for free shipping. Okay. It's a inflatable kayak shipped in a average sized box like you find a inflatable mattress. I bring this matter up to customer service. She then apologized and offer a discount code.

Perfect... I put In the code it was the amount of $7. Shipping costs were $15. I checked my email I received a discount code for 10% off for signing up a account with academy sports. So I go put in first discount code. It was accepted. It will not allow you to put in a second code. I bring matter up to a representative again... Where they say only one code could be used at a time. I was going to order more items. But I live in MI the company has stores in MI and this is the best that customer service can do? When on google it advertises right under the kayak picture FREE SHIPPING.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Purchased an Xterra FS3.5 Elliptical which arrived after two weeks. After putting it together and using it for a couple of weeks, the wheels began jumping off the rails. The rails were not aligned with the arms so the wheels would ride off to one side and fall off. Tried to fix it through the manufacturer but they only sent small parts that didn't fix it, even after I sent pictures showing the misalignment. When I contacted Academy it was 9 weeks after the order was placed, but only 7 weeks after delivery. So I was after the 60 days from the order date and they told me to contact the manufacturer as they weren't going to stand behind it. I would buy somewhere else. I should have listened to the reviews.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Ordered ammunition online and was delivered partial order. Was told by customer service rep I would be credited back what was not received but she could not replace them as they were out. Went online and signed up for a notification of when they were available again and 2 days later placed another order for them. Never received them and now they tell me that they are not responsible after they give it to their shipper. How absolutely absurd could they possibly be? They asked me to file a police report for this. I actually tried to. Police told me that until I have taken possession of the ammo, it was not mine and they could not take a police report from me. Filing a dispute with the Academy credit card company Comenity Bank. We'll see what happens. Will never purchase from this company again and encourage others to try somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I had ordered a Pro-form Carbon TL treadmill on 12/31/20. It has been over a month and still have yet to receive it. This was suppose to be delivered 3 times and it never got delivered. Never order any bulk item if delivered by EFW. I learned my lesson on this.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Bought my son a very nice outdoors jacket and some boots on 1/26/2021 at about 4:30pm. The cashier at lane one had one guy and no items. It looked like he was trying to print something but couldn't figure it out. After what felt like 10 min we moved to the only other open line. A young employee (Male) with a 4' pony tail sticking straight from the top of his head was in charge of this lane. He was finished checking out his customer and said "that lines open now". Either he didn't want to help us or he might of thought I needed customers service, he was hard to understand because he spoke like Michael Jackson. He asked if I needed a bag and then left to find one. He put the very expensive jacket in the bag and then started to JAM the large rubber boots into the same bag. WOW.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Bought a coat before Christmas as a gift, didn’t fit so returned it. Bank account shows they deducted $67 the day of the return and then put $74 in my account the next day (which was for the return), but never gave me back the random $67 that was charged to my account although I didn’t buy anything. Went to store, told to contact customer service, called 5 times over a month only for them to say they didn’t see that on their end and to dispute it with my bank, although I have bank account printouts and the original receipts clearly showing all of this. So basically they stole $67 from me and wasted several hours of my time.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I ordered a piece of exercise equipment last week. January 15th I received an email saying it had shipped and would be here by January 20th. When it didn't arrive I called. I was told it had not shipped and they would "escalate" it. As of tonight it still has not shipped. I've spoken to four people and still don't have answer to when this will ship. One customer service woman actually said because it was coming from California that covid could be the reason. She said California was shut down. This begs the question, why did they take my money, create a shipping label if the California store is unable to complete the order.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Suzie was very nice but my order was wrong. I paid almost $425 for drake elite zip up front waders and I got $75 Magellan waders in my box. I had to talk to a supervisor (Scott) who I had to tell him I would send pictures to his phone or email so he could see what I got. The apparent policy is that I had to be refunded or re-order $425 waders for me to get the correct order. I should not have to tell someone how to do their jobs nor should I have to tell someone how to prove what I received in the mail. Yes it was finally rectified but at the same time I was on the phone for 1 hour 57 minutes and 38 seconds for a wrong order. Tell me that sounds like great customer service.

Scott then tells me “I will give you 2 day shipping.” How nice of you. Of course you should give me two day shipping. I ordered waders to be delivered today and I got nothing for my husband to go duck hunting tomorrow. By the way I won’t even get them in 2 days. I will be getting them on January 2nd, 2021. I am disappointed in this company, I will ever order again and I will be telling anyone that will listen to never order from this company. I was not even compensated for this ordeal. I saved all year to get my husband these waders for Christmas and I waited till after Christmas to order them to make sure I got the right ones. I should have ordered through drakes or anywhere else and I have learned a valuable lesson.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Ordered a Alabama hoodie. It came with security tag so with no way of removing it we had to cut through it with pliers which resulted in a big hole in the hood. Called customer service and got no response back.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I recently visited the Academy Sports store in Houma LA where I purchased $500 in LSU gear. Unfortunately, the clerk left a sensor on one of the shirts ($50) that did not alarm when we left the store. It was not until I got home to Maryland (where there are no store locations near) that I realized the sensor was still on. I notified the Houma manager...not his problem. I notified the customer service number...not their problem. Same story with the customer service email. This seems to be an easy fix to me since I have the receipt and a photo of the shirt with the tag (and sensor) still on it. All I wanted was an exchange, but there are not options At All to correct the problem according to the three sources of customer service. Disappointing to say the least! What an outdated business model!!

Academy Sports Company Information