2. Shopping
Academy Sports

Academy Sports + Outdoors

3.8/5 (348 ratings)

About Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports and Outdoors is an athletic apparel and sports equipment retailer with more than 290 locations across the U.S. Customers can browse a user-friendly website or visit a physical location and purchase discounted outdoor and fitness equipment and clothing, shoes, athletic accessories, gift cards and other health and fitness products.

Pros

• Fast shipping
  • Discounted prices
  • Name-brand items

Cons

• Does not ship to AK, CA or HI

Bottom Line

Academy Sports and Outdoors is a large sports and fitness retailer that offers clothing, equipment, accessories and shoes. The company has physical locations as well as an online shopping experience.

Top Academy Sports Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Academy Sports is unmatchable. I am obsessed with them to where I even shop online for running gear during this whole pandemic. I love the pricing points. They're so much cheaper ...

Verified

If you're looking for fishing gear, tennis equipment or just a hat, they have it. Awesome store. Our granddaughter need a pair of shoes for cheerleading, they were the only people...

What is Academy Sports and Outdoors?

Academy Sports and Outdoors’ inventory features popular home accessories, sporting goods and outdoor equipment such as:

• School uniforms
  • Bikes
  • Sports equipment
  • Electronics
  • Coolers and drinkware

Along with a wide selection of sports equipment and fitness gear, Academy Sports and Outdoors offers multiple other services.

Hunting and fishing licenses
Fees for hunting and fishing licenses vary by state and type of license. There is an easy-to-use chart on Academy’s website to help you determine the cost associated with these licenses in your state.
Line spooling
When you buy fishing gear from Academy Sports and Outdoors, employees spool the reel with up to 300 yards of line from the store’s bulk spools free of charge. If you bring your own line, employees will spool it for you.
Propane exchange
Academy Sports and Outdoors makes it easy and convenient to replace your propane tanks for your grill, RV and heater. You can purchase or exchange a 20-pound propane tank at any of its locations.
Scope mounting
When you purchase a firearm from Academy Sports and Outdoors, bore sighting and scope mounting are complementary. If you bring your own gun that wasn't purchased there, you can still have bore sighting and scope mounting done for a small fee.
Delivery and assembly
If you buy large or bulky items such as a treadmill, elliptical or grill, Academy Sports and Outdoors can arrange to have it delivered to your house and help you assemble it.

Academy Sports and Outdoors brands

Academy Sports and Outdoors offers fitness apparel and equipment for men, women and children from popular brands such as Nike, Adidas, Under Armour and Brooks.

Along with top brands in the running and fitness industries, Academy also has a wide selection of clothing and accessories for the active worksite from brands like Carhartt and leisure and outdoor wear and accessories name brands such as NorthFace, Yeti and Magellan Outdoors.

Academy Sports and Outdoor also offers high-quality swimwear from O’Rageous, casual, everyday shoes from brands like Vans and Crocs, athletic wear from BCG and home gym equipment from leading fitness retailer Marcy. Customers can shop by category or by brand and explore a wide selection of outdoor, camping, fitness and wellness products on its website.

Other popular brands include:

• New Balance
  • Nikon
  • Puma

Academy prices

Academy offers a wide range of products from outdoor, worksite and fitness brands at discounted rates. Some discounted products are only available online, and the company offers a low-price guarantee that matches any competitor’s price on an identical product.

All prices are clearly listed on the Academy website. Below, we’ve listed a few examples of Academy’s most popular outdoor and fitness items' costs.

ProductRegular PriceAcademy Price
Nike Men's Air Max Torch 4 Running Shoes$84.99$63.74
Brooks Women's Ghost 12 Running Shoes$129.99$109.99
Schwinn 810 Treadmill$1,299$999
Spot Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger$149.99$99

Academy Sports and Outdoors offers deals and discounts on a variety of products directly on its website. Customers can check the clearance section for discounted men's and women's clothing, kids’ clothing, shoes, home accessories, lawn tools, health and fitness equipment, sports gear and NFL-themed fan apparel.

Even items that aren't in the clearance section or on sale are typically priced lower than retail prices. Customers can browse the website by category, price, brand and delivery/pickup options. Academy Sports and Outdoors offers free in-store pickup and free shipping on orders of $25 or more.

Academy Sports and Outdoors FAQ

Who owns Academy Sports and Outdoors?
Academy Sports and Outdoors is owned by KKR, a global investment firm.
Who does Academy Sports ship through?
Academy uses FedEx, UPS, the U.S. Postal Service or a freight trucking company that delivers orders to every U.S. state except Alaska, California and Hawaii.
How long does Academy Sports take to ship?
Most items ship in three to five business days
What forms of payments does Academy Sports accept?
Academy accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

Is Academy Sports and Outdoors legit?

Academy Sports and Outdoors is a legitimate discount retailer that offers a wide selection of fitness and outdoor products for discounted rates, but reviews are mixed about available inventory and customer service. If you’re looking for athletic apparel or sporting goods at discount prices but don’t have a specific product in mind, it’s worth shopping at Academy to see if you can find a good value.

Academy Sports Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: June 14, 2021

This chain of sporting goods stores always has the latest and greatest offerings. They have an amazing selection of everything outdoor. The only negative is the prices are always a bit higher but they always offer price match.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I was pleasantly surprised by the diverse amount of products available at Academy. They had a great selection of personal fitness and workout gear but also had sporting goods I did not initially associate with this chain at competitive prices. I found some great outdoor gear and a grill for the house without the hassle of going to Wal-Mart. Definitely a plus. Staff was knowledgeable and helpful.

Get buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Shopping in store is great, the store brands are high quality for great prices. Stock seems to be kept at a minimal amount though, and shipping online is extremely high. Overall if I’m needing any sports or outdoor recreation items, or athletic wear and shoes, Academy Sports is my in store go to.

Original review: May 31, 2021

Academy has always been clean and organized store with a lot of athletic gear for all sports. Because I've played on multiple rec teams, I am always looking for new softball, basketball, biking, and flag football gear, including my cleats, cups, gloves, and other protective gear. It's affordable and has multiple options. Unfortunately, over the past couple years (Covid-aside) they've been less organized and don't always have the items needed. I'm not sure if it was related to shipping from imports, but it's been harder to find the items needed.

Original review: May 30, 2021

Academy Sports is one of my top sporting goods store to go to. Recently purchased sneakers and looked at tubes for floating down the spring. Did compare prices and ended up just getting sneakers. The staff was friendly, clean store, no line to check out.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I ordered 5 long sleeve crew tops and the first three to come all had some form of damage to them. I understand they are cheaper than Columbia shirts, but expected better quality than I was given. Horrible.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I ordered 4 shorts, 4 different colors. They arrived in 3 different packages. This helped cause the problem, I received 2 of one color. Called them, wanted me to print out return label, but I don’t have printer. Decided to just give up, too sick to deal with this.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I am not a lawyer. False advertising is described as the crime or misconduct of publishing, transmitting, or otherwise publicly circulating an advertisement containing a false, misleading, or deceptive statement, made intentionally or recklessly to promote the sale of property, goods, or services to the public.

The FTC Act prohibits unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, advertising must tell the truth and not mislead consumers. A claim can be misleading if relevant information is left out or if the claim implies something that's not true.

Academy Sports ran a “Big Deal” 3-day sale on the Spalding Arena Series II 60 in Glass In-Ground Basketball System, regular price $1600 for $800 from June 1 – June 3, 2021. SKU:123001724 Item: 88048G. Early in the morning when this deal became available, your website for ALL locations in KS, MO, AR & OK showed the same – Out of Stock, 0 of 1 items available for pickup. I took a screenshot of all. Your stores all have a stanchion sign in front of the display advertising this basketball goal for $800. I have a photo of this too. The problem is there were none to sell in the stores either. Your store manager at the location in my Kansas hometown said, “They do this all the time. They advertise items we never have. There are no rainchecks. We are sorry you are frustrated. We do not have this goal, we have not had this goal for some time nor do we know when we will get it.” Oh, and they would not sell the floor model to me. Nice.

Is this a common business practice for Academy Sports? None of these can purchased in the 4 state area where I live. All stores within 55 miles of my home (and the 4 state area) did not have one of these in stock nor could they tell me when they were getting one, certainly not within the 3 day sale period. Pathetic. You drove traffic to your store. You ticked off everyone who wanted to buy this. I have purchased from Academy Sports before. I don’t understand what your team is thinking. Your team knew there were none in stock. Your team knew there were none coming in within the sale window.

What did Academy Sports expect to gain from this other than customer complaints, frustration, inconvenience, loss of brand loyalty? I sent a letter to your CEO, Ken Hicks, two weeks ago. NO ONE from your company reached out to me. Even your executive complaint team stinks. I contacted your Customer Service team and they offered me 10% off the regular price when it is in stock. Again, is this your normal business practice?

I gave you two weeks to reach out to me. You did not. I will now post this in as many locations as I can so buyers are aware of just how inept your company can be. I won’t be expecting to read of your winning any JD Power awards any time soon.

Original review: May 18, 2021

On May 2nd, 2021, I ordered 2 items from Academy Sports & Outdoors in preparation for a family crawfish boil on May 22nd. Both items showed that they were in stock. My credit card was charged the full amount on May 4th. The first item was crawfish trays and I received these items on May 5th via Fed Ex. The second item ordered was a 100qt crawfish cooker. I received an email from Academy on May 5th stating that a tracking number with Fed Ex had been created but a delivery date would not be set until Fed Ex picked the package up.

After a week, (May 11th), I reached out to Academy through their customer service 800 number to check on the status. I explained that I still had time to order the item from a different vendor and receive it by May 22nd. I was told that the item was in stock at their warehouse and Fed Ex was dealing with a large backlog of orders and that I couldn't cancel my order until 10 to 12 business days from the order date. I went to FedEx.com and searched the tracking number and was told by Fed Ex, "The shipper, (Academy), has prepared your package; however they have not yet given it to Fed Ex. Please contact the shipper of your package for further information".

I contacted Fed Ex a second time and was told Academy had not given the item to them and I contacted Academy once via chat and once via customer support and was told I could not cancel the order and that they could not contact the warehouse to see if there was a problem without starting a tracking ticket and that would take 3 weeks. Bottom line, I was looking for an alternative to ordering from Amazon. Amazon has made mistakes, however, they quickly corrected the mistake and/or refunded the monies right away. I was going to give Academy online a try and I sincerely regret that decision.

Original review: May 14, 2021

Yes I just got a notified about a pickup or or delivery! My Home and delivery address are the same. It's **. Get back to me asap please. Thanks Donny **. I have an identity theft case, I have not ordered anything from you. Call or email me asap Urgent, I have rights.

Academy Sports Company Information