1.33/5

Academy Sports + Outdoors

168 Academy Sports Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Stopped by Academy in Weatherford Tx this am & after standing in the firearms & Archery dept for over 15 min, I was not assisted! The employees are too busy gossiping, talking on their phones, comparing social media posts with each other, this is the 3rd time a member of my family has tried to shop there & was ignored or treated extremely badly. Calling the customer complaint line does no good, Corp just keeps allowing this store to hire people who have no idea about customer service or much less doing their jobs when they are on the clock! This store also argues with you over returns & sale prices, they make it so difficult to shop there that it’s not worth the stress & horrible treatment to even walk in the door.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

What started as a misinformation mistake on their part was resolved both with complete concern and politeness to MY complete and utter satisfaction. All the ladies I dealt with were great. These folks are serious about customer service. I couldn't be more pleased.

Get expert buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

When I was shopping for my son some running shoes the sales associate avoided me several times but as soon as he saw someone that looked like they had money, he ran over to ask them if they need help. He never once spoke to myself or my son. Discrimination.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I order a pair of shoes over a month ago and the tracking showed that I should have received them 2 days later by 8pm. Two days later I check on the Academy website and it says shipping unavailable. I wait for my son's shoes a few more days because these were ordered due to school starting and they never made it! I contacted your help center and the employee told me that the shipping must have been lost and that he would send me some new ones. That is all good and fine but school has now started and my shoes are still not here. He said that he would make sure I got them fast.

I got them days later...not too fast for someone that has now been waiting over 3 weeks for a pair of shoes for my son to wear for school. I get the shoes and they do not fit correctly. I send them back and now your company cannot see my return on see where or when I will get refunded. I printed the return form on your website and this is ridiculous for a $70 order. I am highly upset and disappointed in how this company has handled the issue and will not be shopping here for future purchases. As I wait for my $70 money return I will have to go buy another pair somewhere else!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Ordered a basketball set online. I am attempting to return a basketball set that was delivered without the net and brackets to the store. I submitted an email communication to them on August 6. On August 7 they responded on August 8 stating a "supervisor" would contact me within 24 to 72 hours. Well... I am waiting. Today is August 16! Oh, and on the status of their response it states "Status: Solved." No it is not! Again, I emailed them again and copied and pasted their response. Next communication from me will be to the CEO Mr. Ken Hicks!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Ordered a backpack for my son Aug 5th with the guarantee of shipping in 3-5 business days. Here it is Aug 12th and it hasn't even shipped yet. I called Academy customer service and waited for 40 minutes to be told that they can't even refund the money until they get it back in office 7-10 business days!!! $35 for a backpack because my little guy deserves something nice, I never splurge, and he can't even have a backpack for the first day of school!!! I WILL NEVER ORDER OR BUY FROM ACADEMY EVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: July 27, 2018

Went to the Academy in Galveston, TX. I stood in a line of 10 people, with 5 more behind me on 7/26/18 around 7:46 pm. I saw 4 employees come in with food in tow, and not one offered to open up a register to assist the lone cashier. I was appalled! VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! I was always taught, even before working age that if someone needed assistance, drop what you are doing (or NOT DOING) and help. Not so with this store. Very disappointed to say the least.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Poor service when you try to shop online. They claim they have free shipping if you spend more than $25. That’s a load of bs just to let y’all know. Do not order lead fishing weights. Shipping was $30+ in over it. I like Bass Pro better.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Got email days after order placed that they've canceled my orders for home gym equipment, with no explanation whatsoever. I call, their automated message said if it's because of cancellation, call your credit card first = they do this often. My card already had this $ pending, so I used chat. Pulling teeth. She could give me ZERO reason my order was canceled. "They just couldn't verify something." Long silence. Me: "What, exactly?" "I couldn't tell you." Longer silence. Me: "You can't tell if it's payment or address or something else? How would I fix it, everything's correct." "Could be anything." And again, silence.

This is where a customer service rep would offer HELP resolving the issue, options, etc. I pulled teeth, and got a "try again online" after a long while, even though I've told her many times everything is correct and the money is pending on my card. And that's that. Awful. Like they couldn't care less about me, and I was begging them to take my money.

Original review: June 22, 2018

ROGERS, AR - First associate, KEVIN, waved us off with wave of arm when we asked for help in shoes. Second associate, female, said needed to go to back of store to get socks to try on shoes. Never came back. When I told store manager, she walked off, came back (after petting a dog that entered the store) and apologized for KEVIN. I could tell she was all broke up over the incident (NOT). The more they hire, the worse they get. I would prefer to give this review ZERO stars. Dare Academy mgmt to respond.

Academy Sports Company Information