1.21/5

Academy Sports + Outdoors

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

185 Academy Sports Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

This is the second year in a row that have canceled my order on a sale item...decoy weights. Very poor customer service. They should not sell the items if they are not available. Very aggravating and very disappointed in this company.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

After being sent on a wild goose chase for a product that I was looking for from Academy to Academy I decide to order online. On the final day I was suppose to receive the product I call Academy to make sure it was on track to only find out it hasn't even been shipped but the guy tells me not to worry that it will be in by the 16th end of day. I call in on the 17th to figure out what happened to of course find out that it still hasn't been shipped and the lady said no store can find the product so once they can find a store with inventory they will ship it but she doesn't even know when!! Absolutely the worst customer service. I will never shop here again!!!

Get expert buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I ordered a pair of Nike leggings that were on sale. When I finally received them they were way too big. I tried to exchange them that was a big problem. Nobody had my size apparently in none of the stores, so I finally ended up just returning them. Well when I got my refund back I only got $24 out of 35. When I called to ask why she kept telling me they discounted me eight dollars. I was like, "OK. Well my receipt plain as day says I paid $35.13." She could not for the life of me tell me why I did not receive my full refund back. I will not buy from Academy anymore. Buyers beware online!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My son and I went to academy to find a baseball bat. They had a few on the actual racks that hold the bats...but most were in this big bin. Some were standing up and there was a bunch just laying on top! So to get to the ones on the bottom. you had to dig! No sign of prices. Or anything! If there were just a few on top I'd just moved them. But there were too many for me to pick up all of them! Like an avalanche just waiting to fall! My hand was cut from sticking my hand under there...and bruised...and hurts pretty bad! I hate to know any kids went there because they most definitely would get hurt!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

My last 3 visits to Academy have had very disappointing service experiences. In September they had no one working at 3 PM on a Saturday that could help find the right size and style cleats my son needed and in Dec (2 weeks before C-mas) they had only 1 cashier checking out customers. Today Jan 6, 2019, 3 cashiers were standing around the customer service desk chatting and only 1 was working. Line wraps around front of store and finally 1 of the chatty patty trio decides she’ll open a register. Shouldn’t take me an hour to buy 1 bag of Mesquite wood Academy. Shame on you for crappy service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I ordered a track suit (jacket and pants) online and the order was confirmed. Five days later, after the jacket had been shipped and was on its way, Academy canceled the pants order. Since they go together, and I didn't want one without the other, I called to have the jacket shipment canceled. The care rep made me call FedEx to cancel, but after 30 mins in on-line chats and phone calls, I found out Academy had to request the return shipment. In total I spent 1.5 hours with Academy and FedEx. It's been escalated, and I have to wait 5 days before they'll issue a refund; ALL of this wasted time could've been avoided if they Academy would not CONFIRM orders that they can't FULFILL. Get an inventory system! In the past 6 mos, I have ordered >60 items (incl. clothes and items from 3rd party shippers) from Amazon, and this has NEVER happened.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Purchased a bike from my son for Christmas. Put it together, bent wheel, returned it. Got another bike. Brought it back home, bent wheel. Express my concerns with store manager, told me I could come down there and build a bike inside the store before I left with it. Are you kidding me. How about just selling bikes that aren't defective. 25 miles round trip, over an hour drive time, third time down to the store, no concern about that. Just come down and get another bike. how many times am I going to have to go through this **? Wasting my time and gas and money. I will never spend another penny in this store ever.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I placed an order for a gift card on Dec 19 online. I got a notice from Academy confirming the order and stating that it would ship the next day. The next day, I got an email stating it has shipped and giving me the FedEx number. It stated it would arrive Dec 24. It did not arrive Dec 24. FedEx showed the tracking number but said it had never been received from Academy. Academy had already charged my credit card.

I called on Dec 27. They agreed it had not shipped but did not know why. Said it would ship by the next day and they would send me an update within 24 hours. Nothing again. Called on Dec 29, and was told they had no explanation but that maybe they were backup up on gift cards. I should hear something in 1-2 days. Christmas is OVER. I would think they should be caught up on gift cards. I will never again order anything from them. Horrible customer service and follow-up. Hopefully I get the card in the next week. If not, I guess I look into the fact they have taken my $100 with nothing to show.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

17th Dec used my credit card to purchase 2 shirts as presents online. No notice that my order had been cancelled. Called and my notification email had been typed wrong. They said card didn't match my data. Went to Wells where I just received a letter that all my data was updated prior to order placed. Called C Service and used a debit card I knew was updated as prior purchases made, and they were going to overnight my order, which was not the items I wanted but settled for. Got a notice this time that order was cancelled. Told also that CS does not have knowledge of stock when orders placed. NEVER AGAIN. CHRISTMAS RUINED FOR THIS RECIPIENT.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Bought a new 357 magnum/38 special yesterday. Got it home and looked it over closely to find there is a crack stemming from behind the barrel to the Hammer. I called Academy right away. The gun never been fired. I just wanted to exchange it but was given a hard time. Now I want my $769.99 back in a refund to buy elsewhere. I commented to the Manager that I do believe it is against the law to sell anything as being new and damaged. The gun did not look brand new and I commented on that, you can tell by the finish on the stainless steel. Never again will I shop at Academy Sports goods. Never.

Academy Sports Company Information