Academy Sports + Outdoors

Compare Sporting Goods Stores

Research top Sporting Goods Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered a Barnett BC Raptor Reverse Crossbow seven days ago and have not received an order confirmation or a shipping notification still. I have attempted to call customer service four times and stayed on hold for twenty minutes before giving up. I will never buying anything from them ever again.

Went to the local store to purchase a Hoverboard for my daughter's birthday on a Saturday. Store was out of stock so an associate helped me order one from online. Since I took cash I had to use my son's debit card and got the order number. The website said 3-5 days. It's been 6 business days and I still haven't got any confirmation email or even a shipping tracking number. I called 2 days ago and they said to give them 24 hours for the tracking number to appear. 48 hours later I called and was yelled at by a lady in the other end, who wouldn't discuss the order with me, even though it's in my name because I paid with my son's card. So rude. So here my daughter's birthday has come and we don't have a present or an answer to "when" it might come. I shop at the Academy here in Evansville very often, and I can honestly say after this experience I will probably never go back.

I purchased an elliptical in store via online order by associate. When I got home I found an elliptical at another store in stock. I called to cancel the order and after spending many hours on the phone talking to several associates and being transferred around the bottom line I got was my purchase cannot be refunded or cancelled. I have to wait until the order is shipped to my home and return it to the store or refuse the order. This type of service is not what I expected from a big company.

When speaking to a academy associate, he told me that they match prices plus took off an additional 5 percent. I went in the store to buy a Winchester rifle that another store had on sale for 599.99 dollars. Well I showed the salesman the ad and say ok but then another associate says they don't match sales ads from other place on Black Friday prices. I waste 40 minutes there at Academy Sporting Goods to buy myself a Christmas present and they switched on me not to honor the price. Well Academy use to be my store and now it's not. I can't stand stores like this that want to bait and switch you for say... I had planned on buying 3 firearms today but after this I don't think so. I am going to Field and Stream and so are all my friends. You have a policy but don't honor it or pick and choose when you feel like it.

Poor shipping - I ordered a Cubs t-shirt several days before the World Series with 3 to 5 day shipping. The series is almost over now 8 days after order! Academy uses FedEx and they have messed up. Never expect an order to arrive on time from this retailer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

I eagerly ordered a Galco ankle holster from Academy as it was better than average price and free shipping to boot. As with many of the other reviews about Academy my order shipped much later than advertised. I finally received the box (oddly large for a holster) opened it and found a neon green "dreamy eyes dragon". A stuffed toy! Unlike many of these other comments, I was fortunate to have ordered through Amazon so within a week I had my money returned after sending the dragon back. I tried to order again but couldn't even find the item advertised. I called Amazon CS and was told to just keep checking their site if I wanted to try to order again. After a couple of tries I just quit looking and bought from a reputable company. It appears to me as though their on-line store is simply a overstock/salvage operation. Even if it costs a few bucks more, I'd suggest buying elsewhere.

I ordered golf shirts for our company tournament from the online store on 9/20/16. While the process was slow, the CSR was thorough, which I assumed meant everything was being done correctly. I received an email confirming the order along with my order number. I also paid a premium for next day expedited delivery. See me sitting in the office two days later with no shirts to show to our management team. I called back and somehow they had changed my shipping to 2-Day and said it would go out in three separate packages. I was informed that it was too late to do anything about it that I would just have to wait. Wrong answer.

If I wanted to wait, I could have ordered from six other vendors we were considering. The shirts have to be embroidered with the company logo and the Breast Cancer Awareness ribbon. The earliest possible arrival date will now be Monday 9/26/16. That's six days. Six. I called back and was on hold for over 30 minutes. The one concession was that they said they will refund the shipping charges. That hasn't happened yet. They also said the order would be here. I now have to pay an additional expediting fee to get the shirts embroidered in time for the 10/6/16 tournament. I used this company on a recommendation from a colleague. Needless to say, they will never get another order from our company. We have about 250 people in the local office that we outfit with branded clothing several times a year. Academy will definitely be removed from the potential vendors list. Epic fail.

Academy recalled my firearm. Charter Arms says there is nothing wrong with my firearm. I asked for my firearm back or a refund. If Academy has another manufacturer tamper with my firearm, I could lose the warranty from Charter Arms. I need a REFUND from Academy for the unwarranted recall!! They have no idea what's going on with my firearm!!! Something is wrong with this!!!

This is not a complaint about the service I received. This is a concern about a possibly phony gun recall notice I received from Academy Sports. I received a letter stating that Academy was recalling my revolver & I should return it to the store to be sent for inspection. This was suspicious to me because I was told twice, once when I was just pricing & when I made the actual purchase, that under no circumstances was the gun to be returned to the store, even if there's a recall.

Also, when I contacted the manufacturer, I was told that they haven't had a recall on their revolvers in 52 years. The customer service manager said that if I had any problems with my gun, that they will gladly take care of any repairs. The letter from academy was also suspicious because there was no return address. I almost threw it away. If my firearm could potentially be dangerous, they should've put a return address on the envelope so customers at least know where the letter is from.

Like I said, I often disregard funny looking envelopes, especially when there's no return address & an unfamiliar postmark. I may just be nitpicking, but if this is a legitimate recall, Academy should've handled it differently. I'm also curious to know why customers would contact academy with problems when store employees tell customers that issues with firearms are to be reported to the manufacturer.

The Academy by Americas on the far east side. Has horrible service in the camping area. I went in the morning like at 11, and there was just one hardworking young lady doing her job the right way. I needed help with a grill and all you would see was nobody there to help you. Do they only have 1 girl in the morning? Because if that's how it is, that's not fair. I saw her taking out heavy boxes alone and nobody was helping her either, that's not right. I will never go there again!!!

I was going to do all me business with Academy Sports for my tournament fishing series this season and was probably gonna spend around 10 to 15000 dollars with them this season but they are not reliable at all with shipping of product in good shape and bad experience with customer service except for one woman.

After many years of loyalty I will never spend another $ at these stores. Walked into College Station store last fall doing some serious shopping for a hunting trip. They did not have my size in boots so the young man took my order with his hand device. Looked all over for different things I needed, took a lot of time trying to decide if I needed it or wanted it. Finally got to checkout. $556.00 plus the boots $109.00. Got to the door and this punk college kid rudely told me that I went off and "give me your bags." I said "she took all the tags off and I did not go off" (meaning the alarm).

He snatched my bags and went back into the store. I just stood there trying to keep my cool. He finally came back and through my bags back into my basket. I said "I just spent $650 and you are going to treat me like that?" He says "you're good" and walked off. I have been stewing over this ever since. I talk to a manager a few weeks later and she had the I don't give a damn attitude. So guess what? I don't give a damn either. Now I stop to use the toilet and when I leave I stop at the front door and yell out with my hands up against the wall, feet back and spread, "security, security, come search me." This gets their attention. I am planning a trip and I will hit every Academy I see.

You should not place an order online. I ordered a pants on 7/1 and still I did not get my order (two weeks). Normally the shipping time is 3-5 days in their website.

Worst store ever advertising products online that a customer cannot even purchase online. Terrible that when you talk to someone all they can say is sorry, don't even try to find a solution. Simple solution, if you don't allow the product to be purchased online then don't advertise the product. After if people are looking online, their intentions are more than likely to make a purchase online, just a thought.

Placed an order and waited two weeks -- still they didn't ship the item out. At the time of my purchase, their website showed product in stock. Now I learned that they found no item in their inventory. With a problem like this, they never proactively reached me to provide updates or to offer solution. I have to reached them four times (so far) to find out what's going on. Still, they can't find anymore new info about when/whether they can fulfill my order. What drives me crazy is that they DO NOT cancel my order at my request. According to them, they need to find the item I ordered (who knows when or if possible) before they can cancel an order. Put differently, I have to wait FOREVER for their inventory fault.

If they can't find it, then I can't cancel my order and I will HAVE TO keep waiting forever. WHAT THE ** IS THIS!!! All in all, it clearly tells me that THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT THEIR REVENUE BUT NOT CUSTOMERS. They refuse to lose customers even when they can't serve them. I regret spending time and money with this company. One of the WORST in the world!

Taurus 9mm/ .22 Heratage Father's Day special. I called every day and no store in Houston ever had them. Very dissatisfied.

I placed an order with Academy online. The system confirmed inventory availability and I received a confirmation email stating my order would ship. Two days later I received a cancellation email. When I contacted Academy they stated they did not have the clearance item I ordered. This has happened to me twice now. It appears Academy advertises inventory they DO NOT have and then will not fulfill their special sales pricing.

I purchased a MARCY Olympic Weight Set and upon opening the item I noticed the hex head screw missing from the side of the 85" barbell. I called numerous times and spoke with someone who was very helpful documenting the info and told me that a manager and supervisor would contact me within 2 days. After a month went by, not being able to use the barbell, and three attempts by me to rectify the situation, no one ever called back or tried to reach out to me. As a personal trainer with my own business, it's very frustrating to deal with a company like this when you spend almost $600.00 on equipment and this is how they operate. I would never recommend the site to any of my friends, colleagues, or clients.

The absolute WORST online merchant I have EVER dealt with! I make over 90% of my non-food purchases online and have NEVER seen such DECEITFUL practices. BEWARE! Here's the trick Academy.com employs regarding item stock status. In stock online: Usually leaves warehouse in 1-2 business days. These items Academy.com actually DOES have in stock and will ship quickly. In stock online: This item may ship from a different location and therefore is only eligible for ground shipping. These items Academy.com DOES NOT have in stock. These items are probably drop shipped from the manufacturer. To my chagrin, I ordered an item with the later stock status. The manufacturer is out of stock with no estimated delivery date. Yet, Academy.com STILL lists this item as IN STOCK. HERE'S THE ABSURD PART: Academy.com REFUSES to cancel the order!

Reputable online merchants would never falsely represent their inventory. And if there were for some reason a shortage, they would immediately provide an option to cancel. Now I am in limbo. Three weeks later and no delivery in sight. And Academy.com renews the pending authorization on my credit card every time it expires, reducing available credit. My advice: NEVER, EVER ORDER FROM ACADEMY.COM! You have been warned...

I ordered a protective cup kit for my son, for baseball. It said 3 to 5 days it would ship. 7 days later still nothing. I called customer service and they said they haven't gotten a confirmation from the company actually sending it out. I told them I want to cancel the order and get my money back and they said I had to wait until I receive it then send it back in. If you don't have the product in your store, how can you sell it. Run far away and fast. This place is a joke.

HORRIBLE! This place is a joke. Ordered cleats 10 days before I need them. They needed to arrive for first track meet and they guaranteed it would not be a problem. Just happened to check on status and it shows cancelled! I called customer service and she casually says "oh yeah we do that occasionally if we run out of items as we process them". Unbelievable! It took over 5 days to figure out they ran out and on top of that they didnt even bother to contact me!? STAY AWAY! WILL NEVER BUY HERE AGAIN!

Ordered a $1000.00 smoker based on a friend's personal experience with this smoker. When it was delivered, quickly I might add, it was badly damaged. In fact it was so bad the delivery truck driver said if he were me he would refuse it, which I did. In fact it never got off the truck at our ranch. OK, now the good part, Academy rapidly took my money on Jan 29th 2015. The delivery was refused on Feb 8th. Now it's March 7th and I have yet to see my money put back in my bank account. I can understand that they had to get the goods back, verify the damage etc. I can also understand that it takes a little time to post the credit back to my debit card. So far they have, actually, called me to tell me that they were processing my refund, and emailed me. That was about 10 days ago now and it's rapidly approaching attorney time!

For 6 days now I have tried to order shoes off the website. I called and they told me it was a problem with my CC. So I called my CC company and they assured me no problem (we did this several times). I have talked to their customer service at least 2x every day, taking hours away from my day. It appears they don't know how to fix. So I tried paying with the cash in my PayPal 2 days in from the start of this. Now my PayPal cash is in pending and I still can't order. They assure me they will call me when they have corrected the situation. At this point I just want my money back. CROOKS.

Academy Sports have THE best prices on shotgun ammo. plus free shipping! So I decided to get a Academy Sports credit card and get points for every purchase. Sounds like a no brainer right? Ok, so I purchase ammo, get points, free delivery and received my 'reward cards'. All of a sudden, I try to order ammo again and not only can I not use the reward points but I cannot purchase ammo. with any form of payment. The worst part... the amount was debited from my credit account and had to contact Visa to reverse the charges. Academy Sports customer service have no idea of the reason nor will they attempt to look into the problem. I am reluctantly cancelling the credit card.

Bought 2 guns which took an hour. They would not give me my guns until I was in the parking lot. This pretty much made me feel like a criminal. Worst buying experience ever. Will never buy a gun at Academy Sports ever again.

It started on December 5, 2015. I placed an order for new shoes for my husband and paid online by credit card. When they were delivered, they were used, filthy, stained, and had someone's gift wrapping ribbon still in the shoe box. It was disgusting! I immediately tried to contact Academy, but couldn't get customer service to answer, so I e-mailed them about the nasty used shoes mailed to me when I ordered and paid for new ones. I waited for over a week and a half with no answer. I had to input a negative review on the Academy website in order for anyone to contact me about their screw up.

The representative told me I can take it back to a store and ask for an exchange. I informed her that the stores don't carry this size, only Academy online does. Plus, I should not be asked to do their job for them and waste my time and gas by going to the store and standing in line. I told them they need to fix their own mistake and send a return label and schedule a pick up of the package and either have a correct pair sent to me or refund my money for the wrong product they sent. She said they will email me the return label and schedule the pick up for the next day and will refund my credit card, but they will not do anything else to fix this.

So I followed her instructions and the package was picked up the next day, Dec. 29th. It was confirmed delivered to them on the 31st. It is now January 18 and I just called my credit card company to make sure Academy at least kept their word to credit my credit card back at least, but it was confirmed that there has been no such action. Academy lied that they would credit my money back for their own mistake and severe lack of customer service, and are still holding my money for a product they have never sent me for over 5 weeks now. This is unacceptable and completely inappropriate. They refused to post my negative review on their website.

I ordered two pairs of football gloves. They arrived with the security tags still attached. I contacted customer service, who (Sandlee) agreed to "expedite" a new shipment and advised me to return the unusable ones. I sent mine back. A week later, I called and spoke to Michael, who assured me that my new gloves had been shipped ~ even providing a FedEx tracking number! However, when I asked for the new order number we were conveniently disconnected. After checking the tracking number, I realized that I was given the WRONG information. This package was considerably heavier than 2 pairs of gloves would be, and it was being sent to Maryland. I don't live in Maryland.

Again, I called. I spoke to a helpful rep named Onyae, who advised that my gloves hadn't even been sent out again. And yes, the FedEx tracking number belonged to another customer. I requested a full refund and was told to expect it within three business days. The whole experience (except for Onyae, who knew her stuff) was frustrating, unprofessional and unacceptable. I will never waste anymore time or money with Academy Sports, and I would any buyer to beware. From my experience, they do not care about their customers and they do not take pride in their work.

Academy Sports had a sale for Black Friday for an elliptical so I ordered the equipment online 11-27. Two weeks later after getting an email with a tracking number that showed FedEx hadn't even gotten the package yet, I called customer service who insulted me by giving me the same tracking number I already had and that she was sorry I couldn't read that the website said a package of the size of an elliptical takes at least two weeks to process, so I'd just have to keep waiting or just call FedEx, who hadn't even received the package yet by the way. 12-14-2015 I called again after the tracking number still showed FedEx did not have my order. Spoke to an awesome rep who reordered the bike for me and said he was sorry about the misinformation I got about the shipping time that and I got that order 5 business days later.

When FedEx delivered the package of the bike it was completely covered in tape and falling apart, but it was a Christmas gift to my father who has MS and just needed to be able to work out his muscles at home. Upon opening the package after to put it together, the base of the machine was cracked, leaving the bike useless. My father reached out to the manufacturer, ProForm, who said they'd send him the piece that was broken for free, but he'd need to purchase an additional tool to use the pieces they were sending. I learned of the issue with the bike today, 1-6-16 and called Academy AGAIN for the 4th time about the order and was told by a rep that my options were to package up the bike, that's nearly 200 pounds by the way and carry it back to the store, in hopes that they'd have it in stock for an exchange or I could package it back up and mail it back, wait one week and have another shipped... UM NO!

I asked to speak to his supervisor and he left me on hold for 15 minutes and came back saying he could reach out to ProForm about replacing the broken piece for free when I was left on hold for another 20 minutes, then hung up on! Completely unacceptable and this needs to be corrected as soon as possible as I am only asking for what I paid for... a working elliptical.

I ordered a Nike hoodie and a basketball for my son for Christmas in one order. It was supposed to be guaranteed delivery on or before Dec. 24th. I received the basketball almost immediately but when I tracked the sweatshirt, it just kept saying "a shipping label has been created". I was hoping this was just a glitch in FedEx tracking because they had already charged me for the sweatshirt which no retailer usually does until an item ships. Dec 24th came and went with no sweatshirt, I called and spoke to a rep who said he believed the sweatshirt had never been picked up by FedEx. He put me on hold to speak to a supervisor about this matter and after about 20 minutes on hold, the phone just disconnected.

I called back a few days later and the new rep told me I have to call FedEx and open a case against them for a missing package before they can consider giving me a refund! I told her the other rep said the package wasn't even picked up and she said she doesn't know why he would say that. Upon me becoming very upset and saying I don't even want the sweatshirt anymore since Christmas is over! She said they will issue me a refund. Also ordered a basketball hoop system, over $225 from them too and FedEx left it in my driveway in the pouring rain!! The cardboard box was saturated, the labels all over the box gave the Christmas surprise away, not to mention it could've been stolen!! I have a front porch where they could've put it. Don't do business with Academy Sports or FedEx, you'll regret it!!

My uncle and I visited the Academy Sports Store #0042 in San Antonio, TX with the intent of purchasing 2 AR15s. The associate there, "Bill" was rude and unwilling to help. We asked him question after question concerning the ARs and his replies were always "I don't know". At times he wouldn't even comment and just shrugged his shoulders. "Bill" wouldn't even attempt to look at the rifle to see for himself by looking at the tags. Nothing. I got on my phone to research the information myself. The whole ordeal was frustrating and upsetting. It was clear that he did not want to help us. I have never experienced this type of customer service before and I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Academy Sports Company Profile