1.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 21, 2018

151 Academy Sports Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

Placed an order for GoPro. I am not worried about my order being cancelled instead I don't like the way they do business. I got the cancellation email 2 days later. I found out people who placed order for same item a few hours after I did had their order fulfilled. Thats because they had more items in the order than I did. I should have read reviews on here before placing my order. After I contacted them & mention this they didn't provide an reason for fulfilling other orders except mine. But they did send me a 15% off coupon. After this experience I would never buy any item from this store.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Less than 24 hours ago I've purchased a Banana Nut muffin made with Milk Protein sold at the Cedar Park store that was expired as of 02/28/2018. Without noticing the expiration date, I've purchased the product and consumed it. I've been sick since then, barely able to stop throwing up and had to miss work since I can leave the bed. I cannot believe a store as organized as that one would sell expired milk-based products. I have all the information, including the product's packaging and receipt. SHAME ON YOU!!!! Don't buy any food products there, please!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 2, 2018

I ordered a fishing rod specifically for a tournament in March. I watched tracking and made a few calls AS said it's on its way. It's blah blah. 3 tours later still don't have it. It was great deal on clearance. Only I never received it. They finally sent me a list of Snoopy rods I could get instead. I picked one for 5 dollars more and it was rejected. Told they couldn't do it. After I missed the three tours I needed it for and having the hassle I will get my money back but no restitution at all. I will not use them again EVEN if it was half off.

Original review: March 8, 2018

My son lives in GA; I live in NC. For his 33rd birthday, I wanted to get him a rifle that he has had his eye on. I purchased a $400 gift card on Academy's website. The next day, I receive an email telling me that it has been cancelled. I call customer service. She is clueless and has no idea why my order was cancelled. She informs me that I can place the order again through her on the phone. Uh, no, no, I can't. You have a $400 hold on my card. "OH, no problem. You can call us back in a few business days after the hold." Drops off. Well, no, it IS a problem. His birthday is in a few days. Her attitude was basically that I was out of luck. The kicker was that they then sent me a customer satisfaction survey. And yep, I sure did complete it. I will never ever use this company again. I should have read the reviews!

Resolution response: March 11, 2018

The Director emailed me and was very nice. He also apologized and gave me a refund on the bat and offered 20% off any new bat we want to purchase. When I went to get the refund the manager that was so mean was there and she avoided me and turned and walked into a side room. The ladies that gave the refund were very nice.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I purchased a 350 dollar bat at the Florence Al store on Saturday May 3th, 2018. I was not told anything about a no return policy on bats. We used the bat twice and it was too heavy and long for my son. My ex husband called this store and spoke to a manager named Steve. He said that if we would come to the store this afternoon he would exchange the bat for another one. Steve was told the bat was used twice... He stated he wasn’t suppose to exchange but would this time if we would come to the store that afternoon. When we came to the store and he was not there (never stated he would not be there).

A lady manager named Cheryll was and she was very rude. She did not want to listen to what Steve had said. She was uncaring and never once stated an apology or a different solution. She is not who you want working as a manager to solve problems. I was not given a policy or was it stated nor is it posted in the store. That afternoon they were giving customers white pieces of paper when they checked out of the bat return policy... But I never received this paper. I drove an hour after work to exchange the bat and then was treated horrible after being promised an exchange. Your workers need to be on the same lines of communication. Don’t promise an exchange and then fail to do it. Worst customer service experienced ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

They delivered a treadmill which 1) doesn't start and 2) Had a broken screen. I am spending money on installation and dismantling the parts to return. I feel that they intentionally deliver the product just to get rid of their defective item and when I call them to exchange the product is out of stock. I am going to lose money just because of their mistake and they are not going to take care of the fee that I spent for disassembling the product.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I ordered a gun safe online and had customer service support. Academy told me we would have good communication as I would require to remove sliding glass doors in order to fit safe in basement. They charged my credit card the next day with no confirmation of order. After 4 days of not receiving any communication with the company I canceled the order! It has been three weeks and they will not return my money which is $1,000.00 +! I have called customer every week just to be put on hold for 40 minutes and denied talking to a supervisor! Horrible company!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Placed a order on 1/29/18. When order was placed on screen it stated delivery would be on the 31st. Email confrontation stated delivery 3-5 days. Ok, still not a issue. On 2/1/18, I check the tracking update, it states delivery for 2/8/18. This is a issue. This does not give me time to purchase another product, if first product doesn’t work correctly. The most disturbing part of this ordeal is my order has been across country, landed in my state and is now sitting in the state beside me. I could drive there in 2 hrs. Academy tried to blame FedEx. From reading reviews, Academy should have already corrected their shipping methods.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I ordered a Hovertrax hoverboard for my sons birthday. When I opened it to charge it, it was obviously used and returned. There were stones in the tires, scratches on the body and a leaf in the box. I called on Saturday and spoke with a customer service representative who ensured me that I would receive it in time for my son's birthday by Friday. She told me she spoke with a supervisor and it would go out first thing on Monday and to watch for the email. No email arrived on Monday.

I spoke with three different people who assured me that the package would arrive in time on two day shipping. I received an email stating two day shipping so the package would be arriving Thursday. I mistakenly believed that they would come through with this fulfillment instead I received an email being told it was shipped local ground and would arrive for days after his birthday. When I called to verify that this wasn't just a mistake I was told unfortunately it was shipped local ground hopefully it would make it on time and the best they could do would be to offer me a promo code for future purchases. I told them not to worry I would never purchase from them again. Very disappointed all the way around.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

If you wonder why Amazon and other online service excel, it's because of customer service and providing the correct merchandise in prompt manner. The timeline for my issues is as follows: Date: 11/30/2017 Order #**. Item 105410743 Hodgman Adults Neoprene Wade shoes, size 10. Order came as a size 11. Returned with FedEx and FedEx lost package. Lost Package **. Case ID **. Lost Package. Data: 12/20/2017. Ordered a second pair of Item 105410743 Hodgman Adults Neoprene Wade shoes, size 10. Order #**. This order arrived as a size 11 also. Contacted Customer Service again. They provided a reference # ** (primary reference).

Ultimately refunded my money for Order #**. FedEx would only communicate with Academy Sports, since it was the shipper on the label. The individual who actually had the packaged dropped off at his house contacted me and I provided his name and address to your company to have FedEx go back and pick up the package.

From reference # **. Ultimately refunded my money for Order #**. Date: 01/25/2018. Created a new Order #** for Hodgman Adults Neoprene Wade shoes, size 10. I receive an email on 01/29/18. Again a size 11 is being shipped. The customer service individual basically indicated it was my fault and that your organization has done all it can do. It is not my fault that the SKU is wrong in the system. I followed the process. I asked for a manager to speak with and was placed on hold for over an hour. No representative ever contacted me. If it was only a single phone call I would understand, however; I've been on the phone for hours and this is still not right. At this point please refund my money. After my treatment with Academy Sports, I could never recommend this any using this company to purchase any goods or services.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I ordered a sweatshirt they were having a sale on. Checked availability (my size was in stock) and placed my order. The site says orders will arrive in 3-5 business days via ground. 3 days go by and still no order confirmation. I called customer service and was told the order was on backorder. It was in stock at the time. Ok. They never told me about the backorder. They asked if I’d like to cancel, I said no. The next day they cancel my order on me. Absolutely horrible experience. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

We ordered a treadmill. We were told it would leave the warehouse in 1 - 2 days. A week later I called because the order status had not changed. Was told it would ship on a certain date, which was 10 days later. Was advised it would hit my front porch in 3 weeks. So, here I am, waiting on my $1200 piece of equipment. And, although they had not shipped it, they refused to cancel the order. The lady I spoke to at customer support was sweet, super kind and she understood my frustration. I asked her to escalate because Academy dropped the ball, which she said she would, but no guarantee anything would be done.

Basically, what I gathered is they have my money, so they really do not care. If it has not shipped in a few days, I will be disputing with the credit card company and I will tell the carrier to returns it, because it was delivered by mistake. We have shopped at Academy for years, but they have lost us as a customer. I would rather pay higher prices at Dick's for better customer service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Academy online sucks. Placed an order December 11th. Never got confirmation. Called and customer service was hateful. Went in Tulsa store and employee placed order for me and charged my credit card. Order was canceled. Placed another order last week and just received notice saying it was canceled. I will never darken their doorway again. I will steer anyone I can away from them.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I purchased a trampoline on November 28th. It was to arrive to my door on Dec 7th. However, the product did not arrive. I attempted calling, emailing, online chat several times with Academy to inquire about the order, and no one would/could help. I saw the Front-End Message indicating that if I had a tracking number that the product will arrive before Christmas. It never arrived. Having lost faith, I drove out and found a trampoline so I would have one for my kids on Christmas. I am glad I did because the product never arrived. I did receive a customer service response 10 days later that they would look into the order and never heard from them again.

Now that I have paid for two trampolines, I am still working on getting a refund for the product that never arrived. I have called twice with assurances that the order has gone to their escalation team and I would see a refund in 3-5 days. Still no refund. I will never order from Academy online again. I am in enterprise systems and customer service for a living. This is the worst technology system support and customer service I have ever seen. How a company like Academy not have the proper systems and processes to properly manage orders I will never know. Orders placed months ago still show "In Transit". That is a systems issue. One little symptom indicating there is so much broken under the hood.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I found a dog bed online but had questions. I called the store to see if they had any in stock. Was on hold for 3 minutes then another associate answered. After another minute, they disconnected the call. I clicked on live chat. 13 minutes later someone named Tierra came on with an attitude. She said I could call the store with any questions. Again I explained that is why I contacted her as I could not get ahold of anyone at the store. Then she addressed me as "Maria." I explained my name is Christine which it clearly said on the transcript. She insisted I typed in Maria???? I don't even know anyone named Maria. HORRIBLE customer service. Will not be driving across town to the store, ordering online or doing business with them again!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I purchased a M&P 15 Optics Ready rifle online just after Thanksgiving and had it delivered to the Olathe KS store. This rifle was more expensive than the S&P Sport II model because it has the chrome lined barrel, chrome carrier and gas key. I didn't have a scope for it yet so left the rifle in the box until Christmas. I received a scope for Christmas and put several rounds through the gun right away. When I broke it down to clean it is when I realized that the more expensive chrome carrier and gas key had been replaced with the cheaper black steel components. If you are familiar with the AR platform you know that the carrier group can be removed and replaced in just a few minutes making this swap out easy to accomplish. The barrel however is much more time consuming which is why I assume my new rifle still has the more expensive chrome lined version.

I can't describe how cheated I felt at this discovery that these parts had been changed out. Since then I have retraced the steps I went through while picking up the gun from the Olathe store. The box was already open when they brought it out from the back room and maybe that should have been a warning to me. I had never purchased a gun from Academy prior so maybe that is their process. At any rate, someone there walked off with the products I paid for and left a lower quality product in its place hoping I wouldn’t notice. Since the day I noticed this I opened a case with Academy Customer Service. I received a canned reply stating I would receive contact in 24 hours. I have followed up daily since and have yet to receive any response from Academy. They simply ripped me off and now will not even respond to my inquiries.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

How can a company like Academy Sports get away with saying they price match and then use using an exclusions apply clause to not price match? They advertise price matching and then break out the fine print only after the consumer tries to price match. I have tried numerous times to price match and have been denied at Academy. They have found the loophole where they can advertise price matching, get consumers in the door, and then not price match. This practice needs to be stopped. Either price match or don't, but don't lie about it.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Purchased a trampoline on 25th day of Nov. Was to arrive to my door on Dec 7th. However, the product did not arrive in time for Christmas... seeing as how it is now 8:45 pm on Christmas Eve, thus indicating a LIE on the false promises that all orders placed before Dec 8th would in fact be received by Christmas. Highly irate and was offer a promo code for 30% off a future purchase. WHAT AN INSULT!!! YOU SCREW UP MY CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR MY CHILDREN.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I made a purchase with two gift cards which was cancelled a week later, tried multiple times to contact and figure out how to get my gift card money back, we were told twice we would be emailed about the situation which NEVER happened, we were told the situation would be expedited and we would hear from Academy in 2-3 business days, again NEVER happened, this is a month later of original purchase and I am still trying to get the issue resolved. I contacted them by phone, the lady could not give me a time due to overload, I said it had already been a month and I needed something done about the situation to which she hung up on me. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND HOW WE HAVE BEEN TREATED.

Just go off the phone for hopefully the last time, the Gentleman put me on hold for a couple minutes and came back on with the problem resolved and my gift cards are in the mail. Thank you sir, I wish I could have dealt with you sooner. All in all I not appreciate how we were handled in the situation and told things that did not happen, I myself own a business and know to treat people with respect and take care of business in a timely manner, NOT A MONTH.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

1st off placed order November 24th. It's now December 22nd and still no trampoline. Wth? Stayed on phone 4 different days over 2 hours each time trying to hold for customer service, yeah guess what... never got anyone! Oh don't bother trying to chat either, tried 10 different times and says no agents available? So, last resort emailed them. 3 days later each time, "Oh we assure you will have your trampoline. Our shipping company we use has been behind." Funny they take their money out soon as you hit purchase and tell you 7-14 days shipping but couple days shy of 30 days now and biggest thing is my son won't get his Christmas gift! Called a store manager. Talked it over. "Sorry can't help you, no refund available at this time." This is the 1st and LAST TIME I will buy from Academy. PERIOD!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I ordered a trampoline on 11/23/2017 with an expected delivery date of 12/1/2017. It is now 12/20/2017 and I cannot get anyone to try to track the package. I have wasted countless hours on hold trying to speak to person about this issue and have not been successful yet. I tried chat 3 times... After sitting here for over an hour an agent finally answered; however, all she could do was apologize and tell me she hoped that I received the trampoline before Christmas. This is the last time I will order from Academy.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Don't even bother ordering from Academy Sports. Once you order you cannot change ANYTHING. Even if they CHARGE you twice and send it to the wrong address. I was told to contact FEDEX once I received an order number to update THEIR MISTAKE because of policy. WHAT? The order has not been processed. I even offered to cancel and I'll reorder... They wouldn't do that either. And the best part is... They charged is on my debit card TWICE.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I was trying to place an online order, but got a message that there was a problem processing the order and that I need to contact the credit card company. Before I placed the order, I made sure that the shipping address was different from the billing address. After I got the initial message about problems with processing the order, I noticed that the billing address was that of the shipping, so I thought that maybe I didn't correct it. I corrected it and placed my order the second time, thinking that was the problem. Well, lo and behold, I got the same error message.

I contacted their online support because the failed charges showed up on my card. Online support said that whether or not my order goes through, there will still be authorization charges and that it will fall off the account in 3-5 business days. That does not make sense! If there is a problem placing any order on any other website, the company will not put through authorization charges at all. After I asked why my order did not go through, the agent disconnected our conversation. It took forever to get a hold of anyone to speak with. Poor customer service!!! I would rate my experience a zero.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Was told when ordered would get updates on delivery. Haha! Tried logging in for updates. Tried calling. One night had on speaker phone for over an hour. Never spoke to anyone. Was told that we would be contacted to set up delivery day and time. Lol. That did not happen. Thankfully someone stopped by our house to visit and told us Trampoline was on driveway. We would not have seen as backed over. That would not have happened either cause kids came in screaming with excitement over Trampoline. Thank you so much for the big Christmas spoiler! Ruined Christmas! Do not put on emails that you will contact and set up time and day for delivery!!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I ordered 3 items. Only got 2 so I called the CS line. After 1 hour on hold I hung up then tried the chat line, same luck there. They started talking then on hold another 35 minutes and counting. The 3rd item neither has a tracking number or has Academy notified me of any issues that may have caused this problem. Bad customer communication and service this far.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

My company distributes Academy gift cards to employees and clients during the Christmas season. Last year, we tried to purchase the cards at a local store and the entire process was a nightmare with 1/2 a work day wasted. This year, we decided to order the cards online to try and avoid the in store issues we had last year. No better service. The cards were ordered online and the initial order was declined. We found that Academy has limit to the amount of cards you are able to purchase. Nowhere on the website does it say there is a limit - issue #1.

Next, we could not re-order the cards until 24-48 hours had passed. I had to contact customer service to order the cards, which meant sitting on hold for over 45 minutes - issue #2. Once cards were ordered, we had to wait 3-5 days before arrival. Cards arrived, required to call back in to customer service and give an activation code that was sent to me via email - issue #3. After sitting on hold for 37 minutes, an employee answered the phone but was not able to assist me because "she was new and had only been working there for 2 weeks". She kept me on hold for another 22 minutes only to tell me someone would have to call me back - issue #4. She stated she was sending an email to the person who would be activating the cards and I would get a call "as soon as she received the email". This call took place at approximately 1:30pm and no one called me back before the end of day at 6:00pm.

It is December 12, we have Academy gifts that were supposed to arrive on 12/8 that did not arrive until 12/11, are not activated because of horrible customer service practices, and I am still unable to distribute to customers and employees. I would not recommend Academy to anyone looking to distribute large numbers of gift cards during the holiday season. Find any other vendor you can before selecting Academy.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I place an online order 11/26/17. Sure States it would be delivered in 3-5 business days. I was contacted by a woman in Texas stating she received my package. I attempted to call Academy Sports and was on hold for over 2 hours before hanging up!!! Customer service is horrible. I am still attempting to speak with a customer service representative as I am giving this review. Never again will I deal with Academy Sports???

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Tried to place an order online. Received an error message that said my order didn't go through and to place my order again. The second order went through and so did my first attempt to place an order! Called customer service - I've been on hold for over 1 hour so far! Website says that chat is available... That's a lie. It's been "searching for an available agent" for 50 minutes so far. Finally they answer and say they cannot the order and to call back for a return shipping label after I receive the extra order. So waste another hour or pay return shipping. The way they do business I don't trust that I'd ever get a refund. I've heard they don't refund, only send gift cards for their stores. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Attempted multiple times to order online, website will not accept credit cards. They have a prerecorded message saying, "Call your credit card company", evidently the company had fraud in past and has a crazy process according to my credit card companies. Academy told me to have credit card companies remove suppression, both companies said there was no suppression on the accounts. So customer is just out of luck due to Academy current practices. After waiting another 45 minutes I got a customer service person who did apologize, but had no control over management decisions. Very poor business practice. Not responsive to customers, would rate them very low.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Item I purchased was 25% off. When I arrived home and checked receipt it was charged a full price. This is the second time, first time I caught it at the register, this time did not. Never set foot in their stores again.

Academy Sports Company Information