Academy Sports
1.04/5
Based on 58 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Academy Sports + Outdoors

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 17, 2018

145 Academy Sports Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I ordered a gun safe online and had customer service support. Academy told me we would have good communication as I would require to remove sliding glass doors in order to fit safe in basement. They charged my credit card the next day with no confirmation of order. After 4 days of not receiving any communication with the company I canceled the order! It has been three weeks and they will not return my money which is $1,000.00 +! I have called customer every week just to be put on hold for 40 minutes and denied talking to a supervisor! Horrible company!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Placed a order on 1/29/18. When order was placed on screen it stated delivery would be on the 31st. Email confrontation stated delivery 3-5 days. Ok, still not a issue. On 2/1/18, I check the tracking update, it states delivery for 2/8/18. This is a issue. This does not give me time to purchase another product, if first product doesn’t work correctly. The most disturbing part of this ordeal is my order has been across country, landed in my state and is now sitting in the state beside me. I could drive there in 2 hrs. Academy tried to blame FedEx. From reading reviews, Academy should have already corrected their shipping methods.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I ordered a Hovertrax hoverboard for my sons birthday. When I opened it to charge it, it was obviously used and returned. There were stones in the tires, scratches on the body and a leaf in the box. I called on Saturday and spoke with a customer service representative who ensured me that I would receive it in time for my son's birthday by Friday. She told me she spoke with a supervisor and it would go out first thing on Monday and to watch for the email. No email arrived on Monday.

I spoke with three different people who assured me that the package would arrive in time on two day shipping. I received an email stating two day shipping so the package would be arriving Thursday. I mistakenly believed that they would come through with this fulfillment instead I received an email being told it was shipped local ground and would arrive for days after his birthday. When I called to verify that this wasn't just a mistake I was told unfortunately it was shipped local ground hopefully it would make it on time and the best they could do would be to offer me a promo code for future purchases. I told them not to worry I would never purchase from them again. Very disappointed all the way around.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

If you wonder why Amazon and other online service excel, it's because of customer service and providing the correct merchandise in prompt manner. The timeline for my issues is as follows: Date: 11/30/2017 Order #**. Item 105410743 Hodgman Adults Neoprene Wade shoes, size 10. Order came as a size 11. Returned with FedEx and FedEx lost package. Lost Package **. Case ID **. Lost Package. Data: 12/20/2017. Ordered a second pair of Item 105410743 Hodgman Adults Neoprene Wade shoes, size 10. Order #**. This order arrived as a size 11 also. Contacted Customer Service again. They provided a reference # ** (primary reference).

Ultimately refunded my money for Order #**. FedEx would only communicate with Academy Sports, since it was the shipper on the label. The individual who actually had the packaged dropped off at his house contacted me and I provided his name and address to your company to have FedEx go back and pick up the package.

From reference # **. Ultimately refunded my money for Order #**. Date: 01/25/2018. Created a new Order #** for Hodgman Adults Neoprene Wade shoes, size 10. I receive an email on 01/29/18. Again a size 11 is being shipped. The customer service individual basically indicated it was my fault and that your organization has done all it can do. It is not my fault that the SKU is wrong in the system. I followed the process. I asked for a manager to speak with and was placed on hold for over an hour. No representative ever contacted me. If it was only a single phone call I would understand, however; I've been on the phone for hours and this is still not right. At this point please refund my money. After my treatment with Academy Sports, I could never recommend this any using this company to purchase any goods or services.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I ordered a sweatshirt they were having a sale on. Checked availability (my size was in stock) and placed my order. The site says orders will arrive in 3-5 business days via ground. 3 days go by and still no order confirmation. I called customer service and was told the order was on backorder. It was in stock at the time. Ok. They never told me about the backorder. They asked if I’d like to cancel, I said no. The next day they cancel my order on me. Absolutely horrible experience. Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

We ordered a treadmill. We were told it would leave the warehouse in 1 - 2 days. A week later I called because the order status had not changed. Was told it would ship on a certain date, which was 10 days later. Was advised it would hit my front porch in 3 weeks. So, here I am, waiting on my $1200 piece of equipment. And, although they had not shipped it, they refused to cancel the order. The lady I spoke to at customer support was sweet, super kind and she understood my frustration. I asked her to escalate because Academy dropped the ball, which she said she would, but no guarantee anything would be done.

Basically, what I gathered is they have my money, so they really do not care. If it has not shipped in a few days, I will be disputing with the credit card company and I will tell the carrier to returns it, because it was delivered by mistake. We have shopped at Academy for years, but they have lost us as a customer. I would rather pay higher prices at Dick's for better customer service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Academy online sucks. Placed an order December 11th. Never got confirmation. Called and customer service was hateful. Went in Tulsa store and employee placed order for me and charged my credit card. Order was canceled. Placed another order last week and just received notice saying it was canceled. I will never darken their doorway again. I will steer anyone I can away from them.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I purchased a trampoline on November 28th. It was to arrive to my door on Dec 7th. However, the product did not arrive. I attempted calling, emailing, online chat several times with Academy to inquire about the order, and no one would/could help. I saw the Front-End Message indicating that if I had a tracking number that the product will arrive before Christmas. It never arrived. Having lost faith, I drove out and found a trampoline so I would have one for my kids on Christmas. I am glad I did because the product never arrived. I did receive a customer service response 10 days later that they would look into the order and never heard from them again.

Now that I have paid for two trampolines, I am still working on getting a refund for the product that never arrived. I have called twice with assurances that the order has gone to their escalation team and I would see a refund in 3-5 days. Still no refund. I will never order from Academy online again. I am in enterprise systems and customer service for a living. This is the worst technology system support and customer service I have ever seen. How a company like Academy not have the proper systems and processes to properly manage orders I will never know. Orders placed months ago still show "In Transit". That is a systems issue. One little symptom indicating there is so much broken under the hood.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I found a dog bed online but had questions. I called the store to see if they had any in stock. Was on hold for 3 minutes then another associate answered. After another minute, they disconnected the call. I clicked on live chat. 13 minutes later someone named Tierra came on with an attitude. She said I could call the store with any questions. Again I explained that is why I contacted her as I could not get ahold of anyone at the store. Then she addressed me as "Maria." I explained my name is Christine which it clearly said on the transcript. She insisted I typed in Maria???? I don't even know anyone named Maria. HORRIBLE customer service. Will not be driving across town to the store, ordering online or doing business with them again!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I purchased a M&P 15 Optics Ready rifle online just after Thanksgiving and had it delivered to the Olathe KS store. This rifle was more expensive than the S&P Sport II model because it has the chrome lined barrel, chrome carrier and gas key. I didn't have a scope for it yet so left the rifle in the box until Christmas. I received a scope for Christmas and put several rounds through the gun right away. When I broke it down to clean it is when I realized that the more expensive chrome carrier and gas key had been replaced with the cheaper black steel components. If you are familiar with the AR platform you know that the carrier group can be removed and replaced in just a few minutes making this swap out easy to accomplish. The barrel however is much more time consuming which is why I assume my new rifle still has the more expensive chrome lined version.

I can't describe how cheated I felt at this discovery that these parts had been changed out. Since then I have retraced the steps I went through while picking up the gun from the Olathe store. The box was already open when they brought it out from the back room and maybe that should have been a warning to me. I had never purchased a gun from Academy prior so maybe that is their process. At any rate, someone there walked off with the products I paid for and left a lower quality product in its place hoping I wouldn’t notice. Since the day I noticed this I opened a case with Academy Customer Service. I received a canned reply stating I would receive contact in 24 hours. I have followed up daily since and have yet to receive any response from Academy. They simply ripped me off and now will not even respond to my inquiries.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

How can a company like Academy Sports get away with saying they price match and then use using an exclusions apply clause to not price match? They advertise price matching and then break out the fine print only after the consumer tries to price match. I have tried numerous times to price match and have been denied at Academy. They have found the loophole where they can advertise price matching, get consumers in the door, and then not price match. This practice needs to be stopped. Either price match or don't, but don't lie about it.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Purchased a trampoline on 25th day of Nov. Was to arrive to my door on Dec 7th. However, the product did not arrive in time for Christmas... seeing as how it is now 8:45 pm on Christmas Eve, thus indicating a LIE on the false promises that all orders placed before Dec 8th would in fact be received by Christmas. Highly irate and was offer a promo code for 30% off a future purchase. WHAT AN INSULT!!! YOU SCREW UP MY CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR MY CHILDREN.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I made a purchase with two gift cards which was cancelled a week later, tried multiple times to contact and figure out how to get my gift card money back, we were told twice we would be emailed about the situation which NEVER happened, we were told the situation would be expedited and we would hear from Academy in 2-3 business days, again NEVER happened, this is a month later of original purchase and I am still trying to get the issue resolved. I contacted them by phone, the lady could not give me a time due to overload, I said it had already been a month and I needed something done about the situation to which she hung up on me. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND HOW WE HAVE BEEN TREATED.

Just go off the phone for hopefully the last time, the Gentleman put me on hold for a couple minutes and came back on with the problem resolved and my gift cards are in the mail. Thank you sir, I wish I could have dealt with you sooner. All in all I not appreciate how we were handled in the situation and told things that did not happen, I myself own a business and know to treat people with respect and take care of business in a timely manner, NOT A MONTH.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

1st off placed order November 24th. It's now December 22nd and still no trampoline. Wth? Stayed on phone 4 different days over 2 hours each time trying to hold for customer service, yeah guess what... never got anyone! Oh don't bother trying to chat either, tried 10 different times and says no agents available? So, last resort emailed them. 3 days later each time, "Oh we assure you will have your trampoline. Our shipping company we use has been behind." Funny they take their money out soon as you hit purchase and tell you 7-14 days shipping but couple days shy of 30 days now and biggest thing is my son won't get his Christmas gift! Called a store manager. Talked it over. "Sorry can't help you, no refund available at this time." This is the 1st and LAST TIME I will buy from Academy. PERIOD!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I ordered a trampoline on 11/23/2017 with an expected delivery date of 12/1/2017. It is now 12/20/2017 and I cannot get anyone to try to track the package. I have wasted countless hours on hold trying to speak to person about this issue and have not been successful yet. I tried chat 3 times... After sitting here for over an hour an agent finally answered; however, all she could do was apologize and tell me she hoped that I received the trampoline before Christmas. This is the last time I will order from Academy.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Don't even bother ordering from Academy Sports. Once you order you cannot change ANYTHING. Even if they CHARGE you twice and send it to the wrong address. I was told to contact FEDEX once I received an order number to update THEIR MISTAKE because of policy. WHAT? The order has not been processed. I even offered to cancel and I'll reorder... They wouldn't do that either. And the best part is... They charged is on my debit card TWICE.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I was trying to place an online order, but got a message that there was a problem processing the order and that I need to contact the credit card company. Before I placed the order, I made sure that the shipping address was different from the billing address. After I got the initial message about problems with processing the order, I noticed that the billing address was that of the shipping, so I thought that maybe I didn't correct it. I corrected it and placed my order the second time, thinking that was the problem. Well, lo and behold, I got the same error message.

I contacted their online support because the failed charges showed up on my card. Online support said that whether or not my order goes through, there will still be authorization charges and that it will fall off the account in 3-5 business days. That does not make sense! If there is a problem placing any order on any other website, the company will not put through authorization charges at all. After I asked why my order did not go through, the agent disconnected our conversation. It took forever to get a hold of anyone to speak with. Poor customer service!!! I would rate my experience a zero.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Was told when ordered would get updates on delivery. Haha! Tried logging in for updates. Tried calling. One night had on speaker phone for over an hour. Never spoke to anyone. Was told that we would be contacted to set up delivery day and time. Lol. That did not happen. Thankfully someone stopped by our house to visit and told us Trampoline was on driveway. We would not have seen as backed over. That would not have happened either cause kids came in screaming with excitement over Trampoline. Thank you so much for the big Christmas spoiler! Ruined Christmas! Do not put on emails that you will contact and set up time and day for delivery!!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I ordered 3 items. Only got 2 so I called the CS line. After 1 hour on hold I hung up then tried the chat line, same luck there. They started talking then on hold another 35 minutes and counting. The 3rd item neither has a tracking number or has Academy notified me of any issues that may have caused this problem. Bad customer communication and service this far.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

My company distributes Academy gift cards to employees and clients during the Christmas season. Last year, we tried to purchase the cards at a local store and the entire process was a nightmare with 1/2 a work day wasted. This year, we decided to order the cards online to try and avoid the in store issues we had last year. No better service. The cards were ordered online and the initial order was declined. We found that Academy has limit to the amount of cards you are able to purchase. Nowhere on the website does it say there is a limit - issue #1.

Next, we could not re-order the cards until 24-48 hours had passed. I had to contact customer service to order the cards, which meant sitting on hold for over 45 minutes - issue #2. Once cards were ordered, we had to wait 3-5 days before arrival. Cards arrived, required to call back in to customer service and give an activation code that was sent to me via email - issue #3. After sitting on hold for 37 minutes, an employee answered the phone but was not able to assist me because "she was new and had only been working there for 2 weeks". She kept me on hold for another 22 minutes only to tell me someone would have to call me back - issue #4. She stated she was sending an email to the person who would be activating the cards and I would get a call "as soon as she received the email". This call took place at approximately 1:30pm and no one called me back before the end of day at 6:00pm.

It is December 12, we have Academy gifts that were supposed to arrive on 12/8 that did not arrive until 12/11, are not activated because of horrible customer service practices, and I am still unable to distribute to customers and employees. I would not recommend Academy to anyone looking to distribute large numbers of gift cards during the holiday season. Find any other vendor you can before selecting Academy.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I place an online order 11/26/17. Sure States it would be delivered in 3-5 business days. I was contacted by a woman in Texas stating she received my package. I attempted to call Academy Sports and was on hold for over 2 hours before hanging up!!! Customer service is horrible. I am still attempting to speak with a customer service representative as I am giving this review. Never again will I deal with Academy Sports???

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Tried to place an order online. Received an error message that said my order didn't go through and to place my order again. The second order went through and so did my first attempt to place an order! Called customer service - I've been on hold for over 1 hour so far! Website says that chat is available... That's a lie. It's been "searching for an available agent" for 50 minutes so far. Finally they answer and say they cannot the order and to call back for a return shipping label after I receive the extra order. So waste another hour or pay return shipping. The way they do business I don't trust that I'd ever get a refund. I've heard they don't refund, only send gift cards for their stores. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Attempted multiple times to order online, website will not accept credit cards. They have a prerecorded message saying, "Call your credit card company", evidently the company had fraud in past and has a crazy process according to my credit card companies. Academy told me to have credit card companies remove suppression, both companies said there was no suppression on the accounts. So customer is just out of luck due to Academy current practices. After waiting another 45 minutes I got a customer service person who did apologize, but had no control over management decisions. Very poor business practice. Not responsive to customers, would rate them very low.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Item I purchased was 25% off. When I arrived home and checked receipt it was charged a full price. This is the second time, first time I caught it at the register, this time did not. Never set foot in their stores again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I wanted to cancel an order which in placed online less than 24 hrs and clearly not shipped yet. Rep said they could not cancel any order once placed. Took forever for chat person to engage online... absolutely no help either. In today's' competitive world of business, there is much better options out there. From what I have read, their 3-5 day shipping is a joke too. I would expect this company to be out of business one day if they continue like this. I won't be back to give them a chance though!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Bought a backpack online for my son. Arrived in the wrong color. I returned it for a REFUND. Had to pay for shipping. They sent a GIFT CARD. Annoying. Finally decided I'd use the gift card. Website would not process my order, after half an hour of trying. Clicked online chat. No response even after 20 minutes. Is this place a business or a scam?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I ordered 2 pairs of the Magellan Sportsman 800 Boot Foot Waders (11/26/17). It says you should expect delivery in 3-5 business days. I'm thinking awesome. They'll be here at least by the 1st of December and I can go fishing on Saturday the 2nd. First it takes them 4 days just to pack and purchase shipping label for the order. Then FedEx (the best shipping company) does their part like they always do 3 days it arrives (12/2/17). But all isn't lost. I can still go Sunday morning early before football right!!? Wrong. I open the box pull the pair for me out to check the fit. They're not in the plastic bag and all tags were ripped off. I pull them out, start to put them on and realize they're covered in dried mud and have a finger sized hole right above the boot (Kinda defeats the purpose of waders if they're going to fill up with water while your wading).

So then I open the pair I got for my dad. And they too are covered in dried mud with no tags or packaging. So my next thought was I can't believe they just took returned ones and threw them in a box and shipped them to me. But then I'm think why would their distribution warehouse have returns? I look at shipping label and Oh they shipped my order from a Store (#0247 1650 N Hwy 77 Waxahachie TX 75165) not the warehouse. Seem any respectable company would check all returns to see if they've been damaged or show wear before putting them back out for sale and then sell them instore at a discount properly marked. Also if I order something that isn't labeled as used or damaged packaging ETC. I expect it to be new and unused and sealed in original packaging.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Asked the guys at the sporting goods counter about a item. They said, "We haven't seen any" and for me to check up front so I did and still nothing so I looked on my phone on Academy's website and it said they had the item. I went back to sporting goods and searched again and there it was. I grabbed it walked over to the counter and showed them and they, "Uh didn't know we had those." I'm sure if they would have taken the time to actually do their job and maybe look the item up on the computer instead of all 3 of them talking about stuff they seen on tv you would think it shouldn't have been that hard and considering the item was in plain view of the counter they were leaning on. I usually like Academy Sports but crap like this will make me think twice in the future.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I went to Academy Sports website on 11/19/17 looking for new shoes for work. I found the shoes I really wanted, they were on clearance, and 2 business day shipping was available for an additional $10. I needed them to handle Black Friday at work. How perfect! Paying online didn't work due to the fact that at no point do they consider that a person may have a middle initial on their card. I had 2 cards rejected, and my MasterCard had a fraud hold put on it. I fixed the problem that evening, and the order went through. On 11/21, I fixed the fraud hold, and then got an email from Academy. Delivery will be on 11/25/17. 2 business days? And the day after Black Friday? Worst experience ever.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Went to Academy Sports on Outerloop, Louisville Ky, went there to possibly purchase a Beretta Arx 100, we get to the counter, and ask the guy if I can check it out. He tells me that he needs to run my license just to see it, and then I asked why, he said it's a new policy. So I give it to him, because I dont have anything to hide, like I said I just bought three here over the summer, and they didnt ask to run my license just to check it out.

He gets on a computer, starts doing something with my license, then 5 minutes later, he tells me that I'm on a do not sell list, so I cant even look at it, like I said I just bought 3, 1000 rifles, and I've never been in trouble my whole life. I feel like I was lied to and I'm not sure what he did with my license on that computer, so we start to argue.

This is bs, tells me, kids and wife that we can't come back in there, and if we do hell call the cops and we'll get arrested, then bows up on my wife and pretty much pushes us out the door, but when we ask why, no answers, just rude. Tells my wife in her face to get the ** OUT. We had just left Cabela's. Right before arriving at this nightmare, we had no problems there, but Cabela's didnt have the rifle we wanted, so I'm not sure what can be done about this. Was totally treated like **, worst experience of my life, and were faithful shoppers here. He had my id, not sure what he's capable of doing with my information. Please any advice would be great!

Academy Sports Company Information

Academy Sports
www.academy.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use