3.53/5

Academy Sports + Outdoors

203 Academy Sports Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2019

These people are a JOKE! They attempted to pull a bait and switch on my father. Placed an order on July 14th for a trolling motor at a price of 874.99. It was set to arrive between the 19th and the 23rd. They claim to have called him on the 15th to confirm the order claiming. If he didn't respond in 24hrs the order would be cancelled. They never called my father, I looked at his call log and there was no voicemail. Then by their admission, by 3:30pm on the 16th the order would be cancelled. Yet it was not until the night of the 19th he received an email cancelling the order (the day it was set to arrive), what a coincidence.

When I called them to see why it was cancelled and they gave me the reason, I called them out on it. They said could reinstate the order BUT at the current price $1099.00. When I told them I had a screen shot of the process he was to be charged and that I knew they were pulling a switch on him and asked if I should get my lawyer involved, they claimed to say they would ask the manager. 45 minutes later they NEVER came back to the phone. I also (while on hold) attempted to connect with them through their "chat" option. NO ONE ever responded. I want to warn everyone of their deceptive practices!!! This is totally unprofessional.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I purchased a firearm and I opened a credit account online and went to store to make my purchase using my card. The voucher discount was for 155 off the purchase price at checkout or online. I went to pay for my purchase with my new Academy credit card and the cashier refused to give me my 15% discount off the top. Said the credit card will do that for me after I swipe my card. I swipe my card and no discount!! So I called the store manager and he said that she was suppose to give the discount immediately before I swiped my card. He apologized for the inconvenience but all the reason to purchase there was the great discount. My original purchase price with taxes was $546.86 so I was suppose to have 15% off that which would have made the price be $464.83. I was cheated $82.03 on this purchase because the cashier was incompetent in her job even after the firearm associate told her that was not correct.

I was later phoned by the manager and he offered the original 15% plus another 10% off (if I drive another hour one way to the store) and he would give me 25% off but I had to use my credit card that I just maxed out due to the original purchase. But who says that he will remember that offer when I return to the store. Very upsetting! Why did he not just make it right over the phone and apply the credit back to my card then!

Get expert buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I had a terrible experience at the Academy Sports Store at this address 3557 Gardens Ridge Way (407) 481-5001, Orlando Florida by the Mall at the Millenia. It was with the customer service rep who stands at the main entrance/exit doors of the store. I unfortunately, informed him "the customer service rep" of a minor concern I had. His reaction and attitude blew my mind. And it's his reaction and attitude that I'm writing this poor review about. Please keep in mind that listening to customers is this person's primary job... I guess he didn't read the memo.

When I told of my concern he responded with a "I don't give a **" attitude, and then it got worse. He started to argue and act like he wanted to pick a fight with me. The manager finally came over, she was very nice and she asked me to explain to her what is going on. While I was explaining to her the customer rep started to butt into to our conversation with continued provocative remarks. His conduct got so bad that he couldn't keep his mouth shut as I was walking out the door. I usually drop $140.00 to $200.00 once a month there. Needless to say... I don't think I'll be doing that here anymore. If this is the type of person this Academy Location hires for Customer Service, why am I going there?

Original review: July 7, 2019

This company won't shipping ANYTHING to California citing Prop. 65 as their excuse. I did an online order of clothing and shoes and I got a message saying they wouldn't ship to CA. This is pathetic and lazy on the part of this company.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I placed an online order for a pair of New Balance men's shoes. I received a phone message from Shanel the next day regarding shipping. It was absolutely the most cold and rude phone call from a Business I have ever received in my life. I refuse to do business with a Company that would allow that kind of thing to go on that I canceled my order.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: April 29, 2019

I recently ordered a .22 rifle to ship to store filled out paperwork for approval. When it arrived and have been on delay for 6 days looked online and it seems that Academy Sports is getting hundreds of delays on firearms background checks. I have a spotless record. Have bought several guns from other dealers within minutes. Have been approved cancelling my order. FBI has a problem for Academy. Do not shop at any Academy. 0 stars.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My order was cancelled by Academy after 4 business days stating that they cannot fulfill the order at this time (who knows why!). When I sent an email to customer service asking the reason of the cancellation I received a response from the CS Team with no signature in the email, saying that they've already told me the reason of the cancellation on the CS Chat. The problem is that the response from the customer service chat was not valid at all, stating that they cancelled my order due to my Paypal CC rejected the authorization because my apartment number was missing in their website billing information (what it does not mean that the information was missing in the Paypal confirmation system).

Finally, as I confirmed with Paypal that there is not such a problem with the address, they are still holding my payment and cancelled the order without any genuine explanation. They also pretend I place another order losing the original discounts and promos and gave me a very doubtful 20% off coupon to re-order the same items at a higher price!

Academy is scamming people attracting them to their website with sales and discounts and then cancelling the orders to not give such discounts, making people re-order at a higher price. I hope these people release the hold in my credit card payment as soon as the law requires it. This company is out there doing fraudulent business and should be suspended and penalized by illegal practices. I hope more people report this dishonest company on their fraudulent practices so they cannot get away with their macabre online sales system anymore!

Original review: April 8, 2019

Bought a couple of things from Academy more than a year ago online. Everything went ok and never received any spam emails from them and that was great because if I want to buy I will go to them. Now within the last month they have been spamming me daily with multiple emails. In the emails they have a link where where you can unsubscribe but it doesn't work they just keep spamming. Even if you go to your account and unsubscribe they keep spamming. Will never do business with a company that does this to potential future customers. Will do business with Cabela's that treat their customer with respect and don't spam. Booo to Academy they have no respect or integrity!

Original review: April 5, 2019

I purchased a Taurus G2C that was advertised and still available for purchase online for 199.99 which is the lowest price available for this item. When I called to ask why my order was cancelled and why my card got charged despite the item "not being available" I was given the run around. In short, they knew they could not fill this order days ago and yet continue to allow people to, not only order the item online, but take payment. This is a classic bait and switch and totally unacceptable to me, so I simply will never do business with them. Cabela has the item in store and is matching the price so I'm not worried. However, I have to wait till next week to get my card credited which may be a problem for some people. The best way to deal with this kind of scam is to stop doing business with them.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I was trying to buy a grill for the Summer and 2 times my order was canceled without explanation. I called Customer Service to find out what happened and they don't know... Very Disappointed!!! I had an 80 dollar discount that I lost with the 2nd cancellation.

Academy Sports Company Information