Academy Sports

Academy Sports + Outdoors

3.9/5 (140 ratings)

About Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports and Outdoors is an athletic apparel and sports equipment retailer with more than 290 locations across the U.S. Customers can browse a user-friendly website or visit a physical location and purchase discounted outdoor and fitness equipment and clothing, shoes, athletic accessories, gift cards and other health and fitness products.

Pros

• Fast shipping
  • Discounted prices
  • Name-brand items

Cons

• Does not ship to AK, CA or HI

Bottom Line

Academy Sports and Outdoors is a large sports and fitness retailer that offers clothing, equipment, accessories and shoes. The company has physical locations as well as an online shopping experience.

Top Academy Sports Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Academy Sports is unmatchable. I am obsessed with them to where I even shop online for running gear during this whole pandemic. I love the pricing points. They're so much cheaper ...

Verified

If you're looking for fishing gear, tennis equipment or just a hat, they have it. Awesome store. Our granddaughter need a pair of shoes for cheerleading, they were the only people...

What is Academy Sports and Outdoors?

Academy Sports and Outdoors’ inventory features popular home accessories, sporting goods and outdoor equipment such as:

• School uniforms
  • Bikes
  • Sports equipment
  • Electronics
  • Coolers and drinkware

Along with a wide selection of sports equipment and fitness gear, Academy Sports and Outdoors offers multiple other services.

Hunting and fishing licenses
Fees for hunting and fishing licenses vary by state and type of license. There is an easy-to-use chart on Academy’s website to help you determine the cost associated with these licenses in your state.
Line spooling
When you buy fishing gear from Academy Sports and Outdoors, employees spool the reel with up to 300 yards of line from the store’s bulk spools free of charge. If you bring your own line, employees will spool it for you.
Propane exchange
Academy Sports and Outdoors makes it easy and convenient to replace your propane tanks for your grill, RV and heater. You can purchase or exchange a 20-pound propane tank at any of its locations.
Scope mounting
When you purchase a firearm from Academy Sports and Outdoors, bore sighting and scope mounting are complementary. If you bring your own gun that wasn't purchased there, you can still have bore sighting and scope mounting done for a small fee.
Delivery and assembly
If you buy large or bulky items such as a treadmill, elliptical or grill, Academy Sports and Outdoors can arrange to have it delivered to your house and help you assemble it.

Academy Sports and Outdoors brands

Academy Sports and Outdoors offers fitness apparel and equipment for men, women and children from popular brands such as Nike, Adidas, Under Armour and Brooks.

Along with top brands in the running and fitness industries, Academy also has a wide selection of clothing and accessories for the active worksite from brands like Carhartt and leisure and outdoor wear and accessories name brands such as NorthFace, Yeti and Magellan Outdoors.

Academy Sports and Outdoor also offers high-quality swimwear from O’Rageous, casual, everyday shoes from brands like Vans and Crocs, athletic wear from BCG and home gym equipment from leading fitness retailer Marcy. Customers can shop by category or by brand and explore a wide selection of outdoor, camping, fitness and wellness products on its website.

Other popular brands include:

• New Balance
  • Nikon
  • Puma

Academy prices

Academy offers a wide range of products from outdoor, worksite and fitness brands at discounted rates. Some discounted products are only available online, and the company offers a low-price guarantee that matches any competitor’s price on an identical product.

All prices are clearly listed on the Academy website. Below, we’ve listed a few examples of Academy’s most popular outdoor and fitness items' costs.

ProductRegular PriceAcademy Price
Nike Men's Air Max Torch 4 Running Shoes$84.99$63.74
Brooks Women's Ghost 12 Running Shoes$129.99$109.99
Schwinn 810 Treadmill$1,299$999
Spot Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger$149.99$99

Academy Sports and Outdoors offers deals and discounts on a variety of products directly on its website. Customers can check the clearance section for discounted men's and women's clothing, kids’ clothing, shoes, home accessories, lawn tools, health and fitness equipment, sports gear and NFL-themed fan apparel.

Even items that aren't in the clearance section or on sale are typically priced lower than retail prices. Customers can browse the website by category, price, brand and delivery/pickup options. Academy Sports and Outdoors offers free in-store pickup and free shipping on orders of $25 or more.

Academy Sports and Outdoors FAQ

Who owns Academy Sports and Outdoors?
Academy Sports and Outdoors is owned by KKR, a global investment firm.
Who does Academy Sports ship through?
Academy uses FedEx, UPS, the U.S. Postal Service or a freight trucking company that delivers orders to every U.S. state except Alaska, California and Hawaii.
How long does Academy Sports take to ship?
Most items ship in three to five business days
What forms of payments does Academy Sports accept?
Academy accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

Is Academy Sports and Outdoors legit?

Academy Sports and Outdoors is a legitimate discount retailer that offers a wide selection of fitness and outdoor products for discounted rates, but reviews are mixed about available inventory and customer service. If you’re looking for athletic apparel or sporting goods at discount prices but don’t have a specific product in mind, it’s worth shopping at Academy to see if you can find a good value.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

Recently purchased some white shoes that FINALLY arrived. Reviewing my NEW shoes and see that are not so new. The soles of the shoe were cream and had smudges all along the side and back of both shoes. The customer service lady was very kind and professional but was unable to do anything according to the policy. This was my first purchase and last one. If I could give 0 stars I would

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Bought two pair of Reebok shoes, and within less than return policy start unglue logo sign, front fabric. My sons were wearing them very occasionally not every day. Looks like they selling cheap items with brand logos on them. They last less than cheap Walmart brand which I could buy for less than $12. I went to exchange them because they were defective and they say, "We cannot get it because it’s not resalable condition." They sell used items as new. How do I need to know if they are good or not? They say there must be invisible wear. They refused to exchange the items. Why they give such a long return policy if they don’t mean it? I am so disappointed, this place is a ripoff you buy it and forget about return.

Get buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2022

I bought a pair of shoes a few months ago and I had a great experience. They had a great selection of running shoes. The staff were very friendly and the lines were not long. I would definitely be back for more purchases in the future.

Original review: June 5, 2022

Received my package, the next day I decided to put them on realized they're too tight. I looked at the tag and they were a womens 7! I looked back at my email and sure thing seen I preferred a womens 9. Called and I have the return and they won’t send me the right size even though they are the ones who did it! Unbelievable. I will never shop here again because of this.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I ordered $150 worth of Magellan outdoors shirts and my cart said it was a BOGO (Buy one - Get one 50% off). When I checked out, I did not receive the BOGO and called customer care, sent pictures of my cart with the BOGO, and they refused to honor the discount. I even sent them the photo from Google showing they are advertising a BOGO. They didn't care or even offer any solution.

Original review: March 30, 2022

Saddest customer service I have ever experienced. Purchased a bike online, it says "may require up to 48 hrs for assembly" and I am still waiting on day 6. They kept telling me they don't know when their assembler will even come in. I get daily text messages from Academy saying my order is ready for pickup and that they are going to refund my order if I don't pick it up by Day 7. Yet the store says they don't know when my bike will be ready. After calling the store manager, I called corporate customer service, which also made excuses saying there was nothing they could do except call the store manager.

It was decided that when the forced refund occurs tomorrow, Day 7, they will hold the bike one week for me and I can repay for it when I pick it up. But if they don't have any assemblers, and after waiting ANOTHER week, I could still have no bike. And nobody at Academy seems to give a hoot about the customer and the frustrations this has caused me. Note: Found in Q&A section: If you buy the bike from Academy online, and ship to home, Schwinn rep says it comes 90% assembled. So, this company really needs to work on reliability, truthfulness in advertising, and customer service agents that actually care about the customer.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I received a sale ad to my email. Stated all Ozone bikes on sales 40% off. So I drove 35 min to the store to buy a bike. I pick out a Ozone bike I like Sports Academy but that one didn’t ring up on sale? I showed them the ad. They just told me no! So I contacted customer service. Spoke to 3 different people. The first one was rude and lied to me and said the sale ended. Second just hung up on me. The third one told me that bike I wanted was not on sale?

I was told I would get a coupon for 15% off. But somehow that never came through! The worst part was how long I was on their chat site. And they made me show proof of their own sales ad! The sales ad didn’t say any exclusions. It clearly stated all Ozone bikes 40% off. Very misleading. Wasted my time and my gas! Very frustrating!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I went in a few months ago to buy some weightlifting accessories and at the checkout, the kid tried to get me to sign up for what he told me was a loyalty card. I didn't have one so I said OK. I asked him twice if this was a credit card and he said no, actually very emphatically. Turns out Academy did a hard pull on my credit and while not technically a card, it was a line of credit. I monitor my credit like we all should, did not authorize this and was very upset. The inquiry resulted in an 11-point zap to my credit score, not disastrous. Though I can withstand an 11 point comedown without any ill effects, I felt violated. This kid clearly was trying to earn some kind of bonus and had no qualms about bending the truth.

When I contacted Academy, to their credit- no pun intended, they were extremely quick to respond and started a dialog with the third party that did the inquiry to the agency and resolved the situation in about 45 days. My score was restored but should never have taken the hit. I like Academy but felt violated by this kid at this register. When I say kid, I do mean a teenager, which is fine- I'm glad teenagers still work- but the store should teach these kids what credit is and isn't, and what the outcome of a casual bending of the truth might be. I probably won't shop there again because of this incident.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Ben Manager on Duty at the airport location took over where one of the sales associates was lacking in helpfulness. Either lack of knowledge or willingness. Doesn't really matter because Ben took great care in trying to pinpoint the time, place and date and even asking me to point to the merch that I had purchased.

He had a very professional presence and was dedicated to getting me taken care of. This is example should be recognized. Ben is the type of employee that companies often overlook and don't realize the service that they provide. THANK YOU Ben.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I have been working with customer care doing everything asked of me. Was told to return product to store we purchased from the Mckinney Tx location. Was very rude and racist at the same time. Went back and forward fussing as if this item had been stolen even with seeing transaction not to mention this item is being recalled, so it really shouldn't have been a problem. They only gave partial credit as a store credit. I've reached out to corporate as well.

Academy Sports Company Information