1.05/5
Based on 56 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Academy Sports + Outdoors

162 Academy Sports Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 27, 2018

Went to the Academy in Galveston, TX. I stood in a line of 10 people, with 5 more behind me on 7/26/18 around 7:46 pm. I saw 4 employees come in with food in tow, and not one offered to open up a register to assist the lone cashier. I was appalled! VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! I was always taught, even before working age that if someone needed assistance, drop what you are doing (or NOT DOING) and help. Not so with this store. Very disappointed to say the least.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Poor service when you try to shop online. They claim they have free shipping if you spend more than $25. That’s a load of bs just to let y’all know. Do not order lead fishing weights. Shipping was $30+ in over it. I like Bass Pro better.

Get expert buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Got email days after order placed that they've canceled my orders for home gym equipment, with no explanation whatsoever. I call, their automated message said if it's because of cancellation, call your credit card first = they do this often. My card already had this $ pending, so I used chat. Pulling teeth. She could give me ZERO reason my order was canceled. "They just couldn't verify something." Long silence. Me: "What, exactly?" "I couldn't tell you." Longer silence. Me: "You can't tell if it's payment or address or something else? How would I fix it, everything's correct." "Could be anything." And again, silence.

This is where a customer service rep would offer HELP resolving the issue, options, etc. I pulled teeth, and got a "try again online" after a long while, even though I've told her many times everything is correct and the money is pending on my card. And that's that. Awful. Like they couldn't care less about me, and I was begging them to take my money.

Original review: June 22, 2018

ROGERS, AR - First associate, KEVIN, waved us off with wave of arm when we asked for help in shoes. Second associate, female, said needed to go to back of store to get socks to try on shoes. Never came back. When I told store manager, she walked off, came back (after petting a dog that entered the store) and apologized for KEVIN. I could tell she was all broke up over the incident (NOT). The more they hire, the worse they get. I would prefer to give this review ZERO stars. Dare Academy mgmt to respond.

Original review: June 18, 2018

We decided to go to Academy to pick up some shoes and Nike shorts on Father's Day. We were told by Chandler, an associate that all the shoes in clearance were half off the price marked on the shoes. So we took an extra hour and a half finding shoes. We had 12 pair picked out. We get up to the cash register and hear someone complaining about not getting their shoes half off. So, I asked the cashier and she said that they weren’t half off. So I asked to speak to the manager and she came up and the girl told her that Chandler told all these customers (at least 5) that they were.

She said "well they are not half off and there is no sign back there stating that they are half off". And I told her that Chandler told us that it was and that it ended today. She was very rude and didn’t apologize or try to at least offer one pair half off. She never smiled once! I told her that we wasted more than an hour because he told us that and that we could have been shopping somewhere else. We were going to leave everything there and not spend any money there but my daughters wanted their Nike shorts. So we ended up spending $80.00 but I will not spend another dime here! They were wrong and acted like the customers were trying to make it up. So I called her out and told her that Chandler told all of us that!! Oh btw the Manager at the Flowood MS store was Bernice. Not professional at all! Will not be shopped in there again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: June 8, 2018

Placed an order today online for boots totaling $160.49. My debit card was charged twice immediately for them. I called customer service, she explained one was an authorization fee and one was an actual charge and that I would receive credit for the authorization fee in 3-5 business days when it only took 2 minutes to charge me twice. I canceled my order and again was told 3-5 business days for a refund of BOTH charges, I will now have an overdrawn account because of it. I will never ever order from this company again.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I placed an order on 5/18/18 for a pair of boots. I selected 2 day shipping upon checkout due to needing the boots relatively quickly. I received the email today that the item has shipped, and showing the tracking number. When the item is tracked it shows the item to be delivered date to be on 5/29/18. When I check my order it clearly shows 2 day shipping, but when I check the email with the tracking and shipping info on it, it shows FEDEX ground shipping. I have ordered from Academy before, and noticed their processing and shipping times take longer than most other companies. That was why I chose the 2 day shipping, because I needed the boots quicker than standard shipping. Much to my surprise my order wasn't even shipped using the method I chose. I would have paid more for the boots, and more for 2 day shipping to another site to get them here when I needed them instead of using Academy had I knew this would of happened.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I order a bike ** | Order date: May. 13, 2018 from Academy. I received an email stating my order was delivered at my address **. I had been home the whole day as I am retired. I look out no bike no big box... I called Academy customer service. The agent stated, “Well it was delivered by FedEx ground...” After hearing that the shipping carrier was FedEx Ground I knew their ground people makes mistake and deliver my orders to a building **. Not their FedEx Express that driver know there’s two 325 but under 6585 for me... and 6565 the other people… driving to that address sure enough my bike was there on the 3rd floor of another building. I call Academy. Spoke with an agent... ask her to please call FedEx Ground as I have called them many times with no results from them.

The agent put me on hold 15 min, came back and said FedEx Ground will come back pick-up my bike from wrong address and deliver to me. I thank her for her help. As the day became darker I drove, saw my bike sitting out still at bad address… call Academy. Spoke with the same agent. This time she wasn't at all nice to me. She ask what did I want her to do, I told her her shipping partner didn't keep their word just as they wrote and promise me they would fix the issue a month ago and hasn't. She ask if I was able to go and get my order from the bad address. I explained I has no car. I am disable that why I order on-line so much… but I would ask a neighbor to use his truck to get it.

I paid this guy and his son... to deliver my order from Academy Sport… after talking with her I asked could she not pay FedEx Ground its full payment and return some shipping fee to me. She said no. I ask could I receive maybe a gift card or maybe the $25.00 I paid my neighbor she said no... Why do the big companies charge consumers upfront but not make their partners pay for their mistake... bad deal for little people. Stick shipping fee on me and big ole FEDEX Ground keep on making money with Academy. I ask if I purchase something else on-line please don't use FEDEX Ground.

FedEx Express is ok... was told, "FedEx Ground is our shipping partner"... just make sure I use correct address. Well I have. UPS get it... USPS gets it. FedEx Ground don't have to get on their driver because Academy Sports won't make them pay for dropping off shipments where the hell they want. Herbert will still pay with his social security check. Will never buy from Academy Sports again.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Purchased golf shoes online. Never heard anything from them. Not a single email or phone call. After waiting a few weeks I began the horrifying process of trying to contact them. Their online chat seemed like a good idea until you have to sit for hours while they search for someone. Basically they sold me shoes they didn't actually have. Apparently this happens often. They're incapable of checking stock prior to purchase. Buyer beware. Actually, there's plenty of other businesses that have their internet presence under control. Academy hasn't figured it out. Or kind customer service.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I ordered a gun on 4/20/18. This was on a Friday. Most online businesses I’ve dealt with take the money 2-3 business days. I called the following Tuesday cause it was still pending and the status hadn’t changed. I spoke to an online representative which advised “The order had arrived at the store requested even though the system never updated.” Tonight, I just found out they charged my account again for $585.xx. The first one is still pending. I’m upset cause after the initial transaction, they had no right to charge my card. Plus, they should’ve notified me. What if I had something else major coming out? I got over $1000 pending now. This is very, very, poor business. I’ll never purchase anything online from them again!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I recently purchased a pair of boots for my teenage son. The boots in soles kept coming up and causing his feet to get stuck. I didn't have a problem with the outside of the but the inside. I had my receipt and called the manufacturer to see what they could do to help solve the problem. They told me to bring it to the store. Come to find out they are Academy's brand boots. Well my son did wear them and they were a little rough looking but the manufacturer told me I could bring them to the store. It was still within the 30 days. The manager and an employee was very rude.

The employee humiliate me by saying she would be EMBARRASSED to bring the boots back. This is an 75.00 boot. But it couldn't hold up for at least 30 days. When I buy a product I want it to be able to last and hold up more than 30 days. The employees were rude. If they had A problem with the way the boots like they had an option to tell me no. Don't say I can exchange it and then say rude things to embarrass me and humiliate me in front of other employees and customers. I will not visit this store again. Aiken SC.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Placed an order for GoPro. I am not worried about my order being cancelled instead I don't like the way they do business. I got the cancellation email 2 days later. I found out people who placed order for same item a few hours after I did had their order fulfilled. Thats because they had more items in the order than I did. I should have read reviews on here before placing my order. After I contacted them & mention this they didn't provide an reason for fulfilling other orders except mine. But they did send me a 15% off coupon. After this experience I would never buy any item from this store.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Less than 24 hours ago I've purchased a Banana Nut muffin made with Milk Protein sold at the Cedar Park store that was expired as of 02/28/2018. Without noticing the expiration date, I've purchased the product and consumed it. I've been sick since then, barely able to stop throwing up and had to miss work since I can leave the bed. I cannot believe a store as organized as that one would sell expired milk-based products. I have all the information, including the product's packaging and receipt. SHAME ON YOU!!!! Don't buy any food products there, please!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I ordered a fishing rod specifically for a tournament in March. I watched tracking and made a few calls AS said it's on its way. It's blah blah. 3 tours later still don't have it. It was great deal on clearance. Only I never received it. They finally sent me a list of Snoopy rods I could get instead. I picked one for 5 dollars more and it was rejected. Told they couldn't do it. After I missed the three tours I needed it for and having the hassle I will get my money back but no restitution at all. I will not use them again EVEN if it was half off.

Original review: March 8, 2018

My son lives in GA; I live in NC. For his 33rd birthday, I wanted to get him a rifle that he has had his eye on. I purchased a $400 gift card on Academy's website. The next day, I receive an email telling me that it has been cancelled. I call customer service. She is clueless and has no idea why my order was cancelled. She informs me that I can place the order again through her on the phone. Uh, no, no, I can't. You have a $400 hold on my card. "OH, no problem. You can call us back in a few business days after the hold." Drops off. Well, no, it IS a problem. His birthday is in a few days. Her attitude was basically that I was out of luck. The kicker was that they then sent me a customer satisfaction survey. And yep, I sure did complete it. I will never ever use this company again. I should have read the reviews!

Resolution response: March 11, 2018

The Director emailed me and was very nice. He also apologized and gave me a refund on the bat and offered 20% off any new bat we want to purchase. When I went to get the refund the manager that was so mean was there and she avoided me and turned and walked into a side room. The ladies that gave the refund were very nice.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I purchased a 350 dollar bat at the Florence Al store on Saturday May 3th, 2018. I was not told anything about a no return policy on bats. We used the bat twice and it was too heavy and long for my son. My ex husband called this store and spoke to a manager named Steve. He said that if we would come to the store this afternoon he would exchange the bat for another one. Steve was told the bat was used twice... He stated he wasn’t suppose to exchange but would this time if we would come to the store that afternoon. When we came to the store and he was not there (never stated he would not be there).

A lady manager named Cheryll was and she was very rude. She did not want to listen to what Steve had said. She was uncaring and never once stated an apology or a different solution. She is not who you want working as a manager to solve problems. I was not given a policy or was it stated nor is it posted in the store. That afternoon they were giving customers white pieces of paper when they checked out of the bat return policy... But I never received this paper. I drove an hour after work to exchange the bat and then was treated horrible after being promised an exchange. Your workers need to be on the same lines of communication. Don’t promise an exchange and then fail to do it. Worst customer service experienced ever.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

They delivered a treadmill which 1) doesn't start and 2) Had a broken screen. I am spending money on installation and dismantling the parts to return. I feel that they intentionally deliver the product just to get rid of their defective item and when I call them to exchange the product is out of stock. I am going to lose money just because of their mistake and they are not going to take care of the fee that I spent for disassembling the product.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I ordered a gun safe online and had customer service support. Academy told me we would have good communication as I would require to remove sliding glass doors in order to fit safe in basement. They charged my credit card the next day with no confirmation of order. After 4 days of not receiving any communication with the company I canceled the order! It has been three weeks and they will not return my money which is $1,000.00 +! I have called customer every week just to be put on hold for 40 minutes and denied talking to a supervisor! Horrible company!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Placed a order on 1/29/18. When order was placed on screen it stated delivery would be on the 31st. Email confrontation stated delivery 3-5 days. Ok, still not a issue. On 2/1/18, I check the tracking update, it states delivery for 2/8/18. This is a issue. This does not give me time to purchase another product, if first product doesn’t work correctly. The most disturbing part of this ordeal is my order has been across country, landed in my state and is now sitting in the state beside me. I could drive there in 2 hrs. Academy tried to blame FedEx. From reading reviews, Academy should have already corrected their shipping methods.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I ordered a Hovertrax hoverboard for my sons birthday. When I opened it to charge it, it was obviously used and returned. There were stones in the tires, scratches on the body and a leaf in the box. I called on Saturday and spoke with a customer service representative who ensured me that I would receive it in time for my son's birthday by Friday. She told me she spoke with a supervisor and it would go out first thing on Monday and to watch for the email. No email arrived on Monday.

I spoke with three different people who assured me that the package would arrive in time on two day shipping. I received an email stating two day shipping so the package would be arriving Thursday. I mistakenly believed that they would come through with this fulfillment instead I received an email being told it was shipped local ground and would arrive for days after his birthday. When I called to verify that this wasn't just a mistake I was told unfortunately it was shipped local ground hopefully it would make it on time and the best they could do would be to offer me a promo code for future purchases. I told them not to worry I would never purchase from them again. Very disappointed all the way around.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

If you wonder why Amazon and other online service excel, it's because of customer service and providing the correct merchandise in prompt manner. The timeline for my issues is as follows: Date: 11/30/2017 Order #**. Item 105410743 Hodgman Adults Neoprene Wade shoes, size 10. Order came as a size 11. Returned with FedEx and FedEx lost package. Lost Package **. Case ID **. Lost Package. Data: 12/20/2017. Ordered a second pair of Item 105410743 Hodgman Adults Neoprene Wade shoes, size 10. Order #**. This order arrived as a size 11 also. Contacted Customer Service again. They provided a reference # ** (primary reference).

Ultimately refunded my money for Order #**. FedEx would only communicate with Academy Sports, since it was the shipper on the label. The individual who actually had the packaged dropped off at his house contacted me and I provided his name and address to your company to have FedEx go back and pick up the package.

From reference # **. Ultimately refunded my money for Order #**. Date: 01/25/2018. Created a new Order #** for Hodgman Adults Neoprene Wade shoes, size 10. I receive an email on 01/29/18. Again a size 11 is being shipped. The customer service individual basically indicated it was my fault and that your organization has done all it can do. It is not my fault that the SKU is wrong in the system. I followed the process. I asked for a manager to speak with and was placed on hold for over an hour. No representative ever contacted me. If it was only a single phone call I would understand, however; I've been on the phone for hours and this is still not right. At this point please refund my money. After my treatment with Academy Sports, I could never recommend this any using this company to purchase any goods or services.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I ordered a sweatshirt they were having a sale on. Checked availability (my size was in stock) and placed my order. The site says orders will arrive in 3-5 business days via ground. 3 days go by and still no order confirmation. I called customer service and was told the order was on backorder. It was in stock at the time. Ok. They never told me about the backorder. They asked if I’d like to cancel, I said no. The next day they cancel my order on me. Absolutely horrible experience. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

We ordered a treadmill. We were told it would leave the warehouse in 1 - 2 days. A week later I called because the order status had not changed. Was told it would ship on a certain date, which was 10 days later. Was advised it would hit my front porch in 3 weeks. So, here I am, waiting on my $1200 piece of equipment. And, although they had not shipped it, they refused to cancel the order. The lady I spoke to at customer support was sweet, super kind and she understood my frustration. I asked her to escalate because Academy dropped the ball, which she said she would, but no guarantee anything would be done.

Basically, what I gathered is they have my money, so they really do not care. If it has not shipped in a few days, I will be disputing with the credit card company and I will tell the carrier to returns it, because it was delivered by mistake. We have shopped at Academy for years, but they have lost us as a customer. I would rather pay higher prices at Dick's for better customer service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Academy online sucks. Placed an order December 11th. Never got confirmation. Called and customer service was hateful. Went in Tulsa store and employee placed order for me and charged my credit card. Order was canceled. Placed another order last week and just received notice saying it was canceled. I will never darken their doorway again. I will steer anyone I can away from them.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I purchased a trampoline on November 28th. It was to arrive to my door on Dec 7th. However, the product did not arrive. I attempted calling, emailing, online chat several times with Academy to inquire about the order, and no one would/could help. I saw the Front-End Message indicating that if I had a tracking number that the product will arrive before Christmas. It never arrived. Having lost faith, I drove out and found a trampoline so I would have one for my kids on Christmas. I am glad I did because the product never arrived. I did receive a customer service response 10 days later that they would look into the order and never heard from them again.

Now that I have paid for two trampolines, I am still working on getting a refund for the product that never arrived. I have called twice with assurances that the order has gone to their escalation team and I would see a refund in 3-5 days. Still no refund. I will never order from Academy online again. I am in enterprise systems and customer service for a living. This is the worst technology system support and customer service I have ever seen. How a company like Academy not have the proper systems and processes to properly manage orders I will never know. Orders placed months ago still show "In Transit". That is a systems issue. One little symptom indicating there is so much broken under the hood.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I found a dog bed online but had questions. I called the store to see if they had any in stock. Was on hold for 3 minutes then another associate answered. After another minute, they disconnected the call. I clicked on live chat. 13 minutes later someone named Tierra came on with an attitude. She said I could call the store with any questions. Again I explained that is why I contacted her as I could not get ahold of anyone at the store. Then she addressed me as "Maria." I explained my name is Christine which it clearly said on the transcript. She insisted I typed in Maria???? I don't even know anyone named Maria. HORRIBLE customer service. Will not be driving across town to the store, ordering online or doing business with them again!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I purchased a M&P 15 Optics Ready rifle online just after Thanksgiving and had it delivered to the Olathe KS store. This rifle was more expensive than the S&P Sport II model because it has the chrome lined barrel, chrome carrier and gas key. I didn't have a scope for it yet so left the rifle in the box until Christmas. I received a scope for Christmas and put several rounds through the gun right away. When I broke it down to clean it is when I realized that the more expensive chrome carrier and gas key had been replaced with the cheaper black steel components. If you are familiar with the AR platform you know that the carrier group can be removed and replaced in just a few minutes making this swap out easy to accomplish. The barrel however is much more time consuming which is why I assume my new rifle still has the more expensive chrome lined version.

I can't describe how cheated I felt at this discovery that these parts had been changed out. Since then I have retraced the steps I went through while picking up the gun from the Olathe store. The box was already open when they brought it out from the back room and maybe that should have been a warning to me. I had never purchased a gun from Academy prior so maybe that is their process. At any rate, someone there walked off with the products I paid for and left a lower quality product in its place hoping I wouldn’t notice. Since the day I noticed this I opened a case with Academy Customer Service. I received a canned reply stating I would receive contact in 24 hours. I have followed up daily since and have yet to receive any response from Academy. They simply ripped me off and now will not even respond to my inquiries.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

How can a company like Academy Sports get away with saying they price match and then use using an exclusions apply clause to not price match? They advertise price matching and then break out the fine print only after the consumer tries to price match. I have tried numerous times to price match and have been denied at Academy. They have found the loophole where they can advertise price matching, get consumers in the door, and then not price match. This practice needs to be stopped. Either price match or don't, but don't lie about it.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Purchased a trampoline on 25th day of Nov. Was to arrive to my door on Dec 7th. However, the product did not arrive in time for Christmas... seeing as how it is now 8:45 pm on Christmas Eve, thus indicating a LIE on the false promises that all orders placed before Dec 8th would in fact be received by Christmas. Highly irate and was offer a promo code for 30% off a future purchase. WHAT AN INSULT!!! YOU SCREW UP MY CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR MY CHILDREN.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I made a purchase with two gift cards which was cancelled a week later, tried multiple times to contact and figure out how to get my gift card money back, we were told twice we would be emailed about the situation which NEVER happened, we were told the situation would be expedited and we would hear from Academy in 2-3 business days, again NEVER happened, this is a month later of original purchase and I am still trying to get the issue resolved. I contacted them by phone, the lady could not give me a time due to overload, I said it had already been a month and I needed something done about the situation to which she hung up on me. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND HOW WE HAVE BEEN TREATED.

Just go off the phone for hopefully the last time, the Gentleman put me on hold for a couple minutes and came back on with the problem resolved and my gift cards are in the mail. Thank you sir, I wish I could have dealt with you sooner. All in all I not appreciate how we were handled in the situation and told things that did not happen, I myself own a business and know to treat people with respect and take care of business in a timely manner, NOT A MONTH.

Academy Sports Company Information

www.academy.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business