2. Shopping

Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports
Shop Now
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.82/5

Academy Sports and Outdoors is an athletic apparel and sports equipment retailer with more than 290 locations across the U.S. Customers can browse a user-friendly website or visit a physical location and purchase discounted outdoor and fitness equipment and clothing, shoes, athletic accessories, gift cards and other health and fitness products.

BOTTOM LINE

Academy Sports and Outdoors is a large sports and fitness retailer that offers clothing, equipment, accessories and shoes. The company has physical locations as well as an online shopping experience.

PROS

• Fast shipping
  • Discounted prices
  • Name-brand items

CONS

• Does not ship to AK, CA or HI

Top Academy Sports Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Academy Sports is unmatchable. I am obsessed with them to where I even shop online for running gear during this whole pandemic. I love the pricing points. They're so much cheaper than Dick's Sporting Goods…

If you're looking for fishing gear, tennis equipment or just a hat, they have it. Awesome store. Our granddaughter need a pair of shoes for cheerleading, they were the only people to have this shoe. Clothing selection is great too.

Academy Sports + Outdoors Shop Now

What is Academy Sports and Outdoors?

Academy Sports and Outdoors’ inventory features popular home accessories, sporting goods and outdoor equipment such as:

• School uniforms
    • Bikes
    • Sports equipment
    • Electronics
    • Coolers and drinkware

Along with a wide selection of sports equipment and fitness gear, Academy Sports and Outdoors offers multiple other services.

Hunting and fishing licenses
    Fees for hunting and fishing licenses vary by state and type of license. There is an easy-to-use chart on Academy’s website to help you determine the cost associated with these licenses in your state.
    Line spooling
    When you buy fishing gear from Academy Sports and Outdoors, employees spool the reel with up to 300 yards of line from the store’s bulk spools free of charge. If you bring your own line, employees will spool it for you.
    Propane exchange
    Academy Sports and Outdoors makes it easy and convenient to replace your propane tanks for your grill, RV and heater. You can purchase or exchange a 20-pound propane tank at any of its locations.
    Scope mounting
    When you purchase a firearm from Academy Sports and Outdoors, bore sighting and scope mounting are complementary. If you bring your own gun that wasn't purchased there, you can still have bore sighting and scope mounting done for a small fee.
    Delivery and assembly
    If you buy large or bulky items such as a treadmill, elliptical or grill, Academy Sports and Outdoors can arrange to have it delivered to your house and help you assemble it.

Academy Sports and Outdoors brands

Academy Sports and Outdoors offers fitness apparel and equipment for men, women and children from popular brands such as Nike, Adidas, Under Armour and Brooks.

Along with top brands in the running and fitness industries, Academy also has a wide selection of clothing and accessories for the active worksite from brands like Carhartt and leisure and outdoor wear and accessories name brands such as NorthFace, Yeti and Magellan Outdoors.

Academy Sports and Outdoor also offers high-quality swimwear from O’Rageous, casual, everyday shoes from brands like Vans and Crocs, athletic wear from BCG and home gym equipment from leading fitness retailer Marcy. Customers can shop by category or by brand and explore a wide selection of outdoor, camping, fitness and wellness products on its website.

Other popular brands include:

• New Balance
    • Nikon
    • Puma

Academy prices

Academy offers a wide range of products from outdoor, worksite and fitness brands at discounted rates. Some discounted products are only available online, and the company offers a low-price guarantee that matches any competitor’s price on an identical product.

All prices are clearly listed on the Academy website. Below, we’ve listed a few examples of Academy’s most popular outdoor and fitness items' costs.

ProductRegular PriceAcademy Price
    Nike Men's Air Max Torch 4 Running Shoes$84.99$63.74
    Brooks Women's Ghost 12 Running Shoes$129.99$109.99
    Schwinn 810 Treadmill$1,299$999
    Spot Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger$149.99$99

Academy Sports and Outdoors offers deals and discounts on a variety of products directly on its website. Customers can check the clearance section for discounted men's and women's clothing, kids’ clothing, shoes, home accessories, lawn tools, health and fitness equipment, sports gear and NFL-themed fan apparel.

Even items that aren't in the clearance section or on sale are typically priced lower than retail prices. Customers can browse the website by category, price, brand and delivery/pickup options. Academy Sports and Outdoors offers free in-store pickup and free shipping on orders of $25 or more.

Academy Sports and Outdoors FAQ

Who owns Academy Sports and Outdoors?
    Academy Sports and Outdoors is owned by KKR, a global investment firm.
    Who does Academy Sports ship through?
    Academy uses FedEx, UPS, the U.S. Postal Service or a freight trucking company that delivers orders to every U.S. state except Alaska, California and Hawaii.
    How long does Academy Sports take to ship?
    Most items ship in three to five business days
    What forms of payments does Academy Sports accept?
    Academy accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

Is Academy Sports and Outdoors legit?

Academy Sports and Outdoors is a legitimate discount retailer that offers a wide selection of fitness and outdoor products for discounted rates, but reviews are mixed about available inventory and customer service. If you’re looking for athletic apparel or sporting goods at discount prices but don’t have a specific product in mind, it’s worth shopping at Academy to see if you can find a good value.

Academy Sports Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: May 31, 2020

We are a soccer family and they do not offer a lot of options for cleats. They have a lot of cheap ones but my kids live in them so i need to spend more and get more expensive ones and Academy does not offer that. There clothes selection is great and the prices for them are good too. I do prefer them to Dicks.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I bought some. It's from here and they were pretty good quality. I did have one issue was that I couldn't pick up the swing set so I had it delivered and it was $100 shipping fee. Then pieces were missing and the instructions so I had to find a way to bring it back to the store for a refund minus my shipping fee.

Get buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2020

When I visit the store they have a good variety of items. I am always amazed at the price of the items. The customer service is great. When I ordered some things during this COVID-19 the employee came out and gave the merchandise I had purchased online. He was very nice and made sure that I had everything I needed. I was very pleased with the service I had received.

Original review: May 21, 2020

We live in a small town and the closest Academy store is an hour away, but we think it is worth the drive. They carry a great variety of shoes. Sports equipment? We always found what we were looking for. From T-Ball to high school, you'll find it there. Foosball? Definitely. Wrestling, yep. Plus, just what you will need for a day in the sun with the family. Ice chests, grills, games. Oh, and golf, yes indeed.

Original review: May 18, 2020

Academy Sports is our “Go-To” store for sporting equipment, clothing, etc. We love their pricing... They beat other sporting goods stores, such as Dick’s, by a long shot. We get our boys’ equipment for school sports from Academy, and love to buy casual clothing as well. Also, a lot of our Christmas gifts come from Academy. We’ve purchased guns, fishing gear, swim stuff, etc. and have been pleased with every purchase! Oh, one last thing... They have an EXCELLENT variety of UGA clothing & gear for football season!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Suzie was very nice but my order was wrong. I paid almost $425 for drake elite zip up front waders and I got $75 Magellan waders in my box. I had to talk to a supervisor (Scott) who I had to tell him I would send pictures to his phone or email so he could see what I got. The apparent policy is that I had to be refunded or re-order $425 waders for me to get the correct order. I should not have to tell someone how to do their jobs nor should I have to tell someone how to prove what I received in the mail. Yes it was finally rectified but at the same time I was on the phone for 1 hour 57 minutes and 38 seconds for a wrong order. Tell me that sounds like great customer service.

Scott then tells me “I will give you 2 day shipping.” How nice of you. Of course you should give me two day shipping. I ordered waders to be delivered today and I got nothing for my husband to go duck hunting tomorrow. By the way I won’t even get them in 2 days. I will be getting them on January 2nd, 2021. I am disappointed in this company, I will ever order again and I will be telling anyone that will listen to never order from this company. I was not even compensated for this ordeal. I saved all year to get my husband these waders for Christmas and I waited till after Christmas to order them to make sure I got the right ones. I should have ordered through drakes or anywhere else and I have learned a valuable lesson.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Ordered a Alabama hoodie. It came with security tag so with no way of removing it we had to cut through it with pliers which resulted in a big hole in the hood. Called customer service and got no response back.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I recently visited the Academy Sports store in Houma LA where I purchased $500 in LSU gear. Unfortunately, the clerk left a sensor on one of the shirts ($50) that did not alarm when we left the store. It was not until I got home to Maryland (where there are no store locations near) that I realized the sensor was still on. I notified the Houma manager...not his problem. I notified the customer service number...not their problem. Same story with the customer service email. This seems to be an easy fix to me since I have the receipt and a photo of the shirt with the tag (and sensor) still on it. All I wanted was an exchange, but there are not options At All to correct the problem according to the three sources of customer service. Disappointing to say the least! What an outdated business model!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I purchase a Proform Treadmill from Academy Sports. And Treadmill Console width was smaller than the width of the Treadmill Handle where Treadmill Console needed to be hooked. I went to the store the 4 days after and explaining them the situation, I was going through and they told me I have to pick the same Treadmill from another store. Then I told them, "Ok, I will do that, but can I get the Treadmill before Friday because I have to gift it to someone." The store manager of the first store where I purchase the treadmill from said, "Yes. You can get it," but when I called the other Academy Sports store to confirm that they said, "We can't confirm that." I spoke with 4 different people at Academy Sports corporate office and from their customer support people to their Leadership no one was ready to help. I don't recommend this store to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I have spent many many thousands of dollars in Academy stores through the years. Lately I have been shopping online for anything from rifle scopes to bluetooth speakers, and I am really getting tired of having to take/send stuff back because incorrect product descriptions online. Online product descriptions are what help people make decisions on a purchase. When I think I am getting for example a particular reticle on a rifle scope when I order I expect to get that reticle. When I order a bluetooth speaker and the specs are half of what I thought I ordered as far as battery life, watts, bluetooth range, etc. I have to send or take back and that wastes my time and money. I really have had enough and will stop ordering from Academy online.

Academy Sports Company Information