Academy Sports + Outdoors

Compare Sporting Goods Stores

Research top Sporting Goods Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Miles of Corpus Christi, TX on

I ordered a boxing uniform that I specifically paid for a certain color and they send me the wrong one. So I called customer service and told them they messed up on my order even though they sent the order paper with the uniform of the color I pick and yet they still sent me the wrong one. So the lady went ahead and re-ordered my purchase and again they still send the wrong one which is the same as the last one and again it had the order paper with it and yet they keep sending the wrong one. They must not know how to read or not caring to make sure they send the right product that was ordered that I paid for. Poor workmanship. Poor services.

James of Catawba, NC on

I went to Academy Sports in Hickory NC last month to buy a gun and the guy behind the counter didn't really want to wait on me. I know people don't like selling guns out to just anybody but I had a permit to purchase a firearm. I have a clean record with not so much as a speeding ticket on it plus I had $1000 cash in hand. The only thing standing in my way from buying a gun was the guy behind the counter. I went to Gander Mountain in Mooresville NC and told them what happened and they were happy to sell me the same gun and they even price matched Academy and took an additional %5 of the difference off so thanks Academy. You really helped me out with this one and Gander Mountain just got 1 happy customer.

M. of Lake Tahoe, NV on

I went to the Academy Sports in Tulsa to get a swimsuit. They didn't have any swimsuits but they did have gym shorts that worked as swimsuits. Overall the store is pleasant and the workers are helpful. It's more like a 'Sport Target' than a 'Sports Walmart'. I go back there once or twice per year. There is a caveat is their prices are not cheap, but I'd rather buy athletic wear that I can see in person and return without having to ship back if needed.

steve of Camden, TN on

Went to Academy Sports in Jackson Tennessee and bought a new gun scope on December 12th 2016 and would not work on my gun. Dec 18th 2016 returned scope back to store and they wanted to put money on a gift card. I didn't want money put on a gift card. We paid with a debit card not a credit card. The manager said they can't give cash back even though they got their cash the day of purchase and the money still not been put back on my card and it is January 3rd 2017 and we have called customer service twice and they gave us two different reference numbers and stated they was going to email us a discount coupon on next purchase for our troubles and was going to make sure the money was back on card by December 30th 2016. We have yet seen money back or a email.

Corina of Aventura, FL on

I placed an order on 12/16/16 and thought everything went fine! They advertised on their website that the package would be delivered in 3-5 business days which I was happy with since this order was meant to be a Christmas gift! After 5 days goes by I check to see if the item is being shipped and I see that the status of the item is still being processed. I call the customer support number and after being on hold for over 30 minutes I get a hold of someone. The rep told me they would notate the account and to give it 2 more days. I kept calling and EVERY time I called it was a 30-45 min hold!!! Finally I ask for a supervisor and get a hold of Brittany (HORRIBLE) who had no customer service skills. She gave me a reference number to call back the next to check the status. She also informed me they work with a separate shipping vendor and they weren't answering so they didn't know the status of where the package was.

On DECEMBER 30th I still had no information and called AGAIN - AGAIN on hold for 45 min - only to speak with Supervisor Patti. I gave her my reference number and NOTHING - she couldn't find anything out about my order based off the reference number! She apologized and promised to call me tomorrow with an update! The next day - I get an email stating my order has been CANCELLED!!! WHAT THE **!!! I call Patti back - FLIP out at her since I NEVER canceled the order!!!

She said the product was out of stock and I could replace the same order!! This was supposed to be a CHRISTMAS GIFT!!! And if the product was out of stock WHY WAS IT AVAILABLE ON THE WEBSITE!??? DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS WEBSITE!!! THEY ARE THE WORST!!! This was supposed to be an easy online purchase to save time and it only wasted hours of my life!!! Instead I will drive to Target for the product!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Anna of Murphy, NC on

I purchased a power pole for our boat online. Academy charged my card the full amount of over 1000.00. I received a cancellation from Academy 2 days later stating they were canceling the order because they couldn't fill the order. This was a Christmas gift for my husband. I asked them to upgrade the item to another they had in stock since they sold items that they didn't have. I was told no. To make matters worse they said it would take up to 2 weeks to have the charges reversed back to my card. I asked how they could hold money against my card... which was money they received. I was told credits took time. It has been over a week and I phoned them again and the charges were never reversed. They have the absolute worst customer service. I will never shop there or recommend them again.

lyn of Kansas City, MO on

I ordered a very expensive professional 29" baseball bat for my grandson from Academy Sports online. The total for this purchase without shipping was $171.00. One week later a very tall box from Academy Sports was delivered by FedEx to my doorstep. The box was 62 inches tall! When I opened the box, I pulled out a very small plastic toy fishing pole and a long string of air pillows filling up the remainder of the box. The plastic fishing pole (it floats!) was meant for a small child and retailed for less than $10. Quite upset, I telephoned Academy Sports customer service and explained what had occurred. I was put on hold, and after about 10 minutes on hold I was cut off. I called back and was connected to a different person where I had to recount the entire problem again. She tried to be a bit more helpful by trying to reorder the bat for me, and again I was put on hold and cut off after several minutes.

Called back a third time and again a different person answered, and again I have to explain the same issue. This one tells me she cannot do anything for me like re-order the bat because it is too much money and has to be approved by the "higher ups". I ask how long this will take and I am told they will call me in several days to discuss the issue. She also puts me on hold after I tell her this is not acceptable, and again I am cut off after waiting several minutes. So now I am sitting holding a plastic toy fishing pole I paid $171 for, and I cannot get the issue resolved after 3 phone calls. Since I paid for the baseball bat order with PayPal, I was able to file a complaint and escalate it to a claim at the same time. Now PayPal gives Academy 10 days to respond and if they do not respond PayPal will refund my money.

I am required to ship back the plastic fishing pole with insurance and tracking to Academy which I did and it cost me $10 to do this using Priority mail with tracking. While waiting for Academy to respond to PayPal/me (they never did) I get a phone call from someone who wants to know the entire issue so once again I am explaining what has occurred. This person offers me a gift card and to reorder the bat. I tell her "no" I want my money back. At this point I want nothing to do with this store. I am told that I will be refunded and it may take several weeks... The 10 days pass without Academy responding to PayPal. I get yet another phone call from yet another different person who leaves a message on my recorder asking what the issue is; obviously she had been misinformed and did not have all the facts.

On the 10th day of waiting, I telephoned PayPal to press for resolution and my refund which they promptly forced from Academy Sports account. The lesson learned from this fiasco is NOT to order anything from this derelict company, and thank goodness I used PayPal who stood behind me even though I was forced to wait for my refund. In the meantime, I located the same bat on Amazon, got it cheaper because of the no tax and free ship, and had it in my hands in 2 days. Thank you PayPal, Amazon; shame on Academy Sports. What a total sham.

Chris of Gray, TN on

My girlfriend's father went into Academy Sports to purchase a NEW sub-compact pistol for her as a Christmas gift. He is 85 and cannot see well. He picked out a Taurus PT709 slim model with laser sight that was on display. The clerk went into the back and brought out one in box. Once she opened it, we noticed excessive scratching (from being fired), a bored hole in the grip, and gun powder residue inside and around the barrel. They attempted to return the pistol to the store for an exchange, because it was clearly used. The clerk that initially helped them with the return admitted that they should not have sold that gun as new. However, the Store Manager (who obviously knew NOTHING about firearms) intervened and would not allow them to exchange the USED gun for a NEW gun that they paid for. We were forced to contact Taurus in hopes that they will rectify the situation.

Lorna of North Attleboro, MA on

Ordered a trampoline on Dec 4th. Delivery should have been 3-5 days. Followed tracking and it looks like it never left Academy. Called FedEx and Academy numerous times, with waiting 25 minutes on hold each time for Academy. Sent emails and received 2 different incident #s. Spoke with 3 different people and was actually told, "well it is Christmas". I realize this and that is why I ordered so early. I guess that this makes taking my money and the poor service acceptable. I did finally receive an email, that my money should be returned in 3-5 days with a 20% discount coupon code for a future purchase. My grandson did not get his gift and with all the aggravation, I will NEVER do business with Academy again!

Larry of Hamtramck, MI on

I placed an order on 12/15/16 and everything went fine. After 5 days goes by I check to see if the item is being shipped and I see that the status of the item is still being processed. How long does it take to process a damn order? So I call the customer support number and after being on hold for over 30 minutes I get a hold of someone. The rep told me to give it a few more days. 3 more days pass and I call again to finally have them cancel my order. I have no idea what the hell the issue was but it lost me well over a week where I could've easily ordered the same item from elsewhere and have it by now. I only gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because they actually canceled my order (at least they said they would).

Chris of Auburn, AL on

I ordered a trampoline around thanksgiving on a sale and the site said it would arrive two weeks later. I just received notice that it would be delivered two days before Christmas, somewhere between the hours of 11 am and 8 pm and I would only get a 1 hour notice prior to it being delivered. To add to it, if I'm not there when they attempt to deliver they won't leave the package. The next available delivery date is some random time about a week after Christmas. They won't negotiate the delivery time.

I put a review on academy's website and they sent me an email saying "it doesn't meet their requirements" so they won't be posting it on their website. Seems a little biased to me. Let's only post the good. False advertising? I think so. Since they won't post it, I will post this review on every website I can find and will tell every person I meet about my experience. Don't shop at academy. FYI. I bought my last Trampoline from Amazon and it arrived at my doorstep two days later for zero shipping and required zero signature. Next time I will pay the extra $50 bucks to get it when they say they will ship it.

james of River Oaks, TX on

Ordered a basketball goal Black Friday. Paid $30.00 for shipping. Shipper CEVA called 5 days later to set up delivery date and time. Took the day off to be home. Between 10 and 2. Nobody showed up. Called CEVA. They told me they would be there between 3 and 6. Still nothing. Called back again and was told they had no idea where package was. Called Academy and sat on hold for an hour listening to crap about how great Academy was. Customer service was absolutely useless. Nothing but lies and excuses. Finally gave up and called my bank to dispute the charge. Have shopped at Academy for 30 years. But after this incompetence, never again.

PHILIP of San Antonio, TX on

I purchased a rifle scope and requested a credit card from Academy with the promise that I would get a $25.00 discount on the scope. It turns out that I didn't get the discount but received the credit card. I sent a message to Academy explaining my complaint to them and they replied stating that they could not publish it. So here I am even more upset. I liked the scope but paid $20.00 too much for it as I could order it online cheaper than their sale price and I would not have had to pay tax. I would have saved over $20.00. They practice bait and switch and I will discontinue doing business with them!! Please check the competition online before ordering anything from this company that will not even consider making things right not publishing the truth about their unfair trade practices!! An X Academy Sports customer!

Steve of Lubbock, TX on

I went online to order a hoverboard for my great grandson and found what I wanted at Academy.com. I had already spent about 900 dollars with them at the local store in Lubbock this year for presents for Christmas. I ordered the item and received confirmation of the order submitted and would arrive in three to five business days (ordered 12-07-2016). Still showed order submitted on 12-11 with no ship date indicated, reached out with live chat and talked to Christopher and was told it would ship in next couple of days. On 12-12-2016 the pending charge on credit card disappeared. I called customer service and stayed on hold for 22 minutes, then was informed after being put on hold that item was on backorder and they had no idea when it would be back in stock. Thanks for nothing Academy.

Rachel of Columbus, OH on

Have no idea what this company does. Called to place an order. After 57 minutes on hold. FIFTY SEVEN MINUTES OF LISTENING TO CRUDDY MUSIC I finally hung up in disgust. For that reason alone I will never consider shopping at this joke again.

Tomie of Seguin, TX on

Purchased online for a Christmas gift. Happy I did this early! Package never showed up. Was never alerted of the package being shipped or that it was delivered. Tried to contact company via email and phone. Spend over an hour on the phone calls and NO one ever came online. Sent emails with the promise of contact within 24-48 hours. NEVER happened! Will not be purchasing ever again from this company. I'll stick with Amazon!

Genie of Independence, MO on

I ordered my daughters and my nieces trampolines for Christmas in Nov. I ordered these online and was told that it would be at my house in 7-10 days. It is now 2 weeks later, and I am still waiting for my product. Let me include that I paid over $100 for shipping and handling. When I emailed the company a week ago trying to get an update on my delivery, they emailed me back 3 days later saying that they had been shipped to Ceva to be delivered. Ceva called me and they were supposed to deliver the products today, then while I am sitting at my house waiting for them to show up, they call me 2 hours after they were suppose to be here saying they cannot deliver my product today because they did not get it from Academy.

I called Academy, and the customer service lady refused to listen to me talk, so much so that she put me on hold without saying anything to me, and while I was sitting on hold for almost 10 minutes, she then hung up on me and did not call me back. So then I have to call the 800 number again and wait another 20 minutes to get someone on the phone. I just want my money back. No matter how much I really wanted these products for my family and the kids, I will NOT spend my money at a place that treats their customers like **.

Robin of Surprise, AZ on

I ordered a child's bike for a Christmas angel program. I ordered the bike Nov 28th. The bike didn't ship until I inquired about it on December 8th. I sent an email to customer service asking where the bike was, it was answered promptly, but the bike will arrive late for the drop off. Not satisfied.

Courtney of Austin, TX on

I don't know how this company stays in business when they treat their customers so rudely. I went online to order a gift card for a young man in foster care. It was one of his holiday wishes. The shipping time frame was within the period needed to drop it off on time so I felt comfortable ordering. However, they still haven't even bothered to ship it and the customer service rep claims they can't refund it and can't tell me when it will ship. I do not want this card anymore because they are a horrible company and I do not want to give them a penny.

Jaree of Blountstown, FL on

I ordered a pair of shoes in one order. Then later that day decided to order 6 male shirts. I submitted both orders on November 28. It is December 8, I have only received 1 of the 6 shirts I ordered. 2 are on the way, and 3 haven't even shipped yet. On top of that the shoes I ordered earlier that day, haven't shipped yet nor have I been notified with a tracking number. I intended to purchase a ping pong table from this company but seeing as to how bad the shipping service is, I will NEVER order online from this company again. Let me just say, I made online purchases from 3 other companies that same day and have already received every item. Order number - ** for the shoes. Order number - ** for the shirts.

ronnie of Nesbit, MS on

Purchased a pair of Nike running shoes. Needed a size 8. Clicked the 8.5 size by accident, immediately after the order was placed I called customer service (they have no place on website to modify order). Spent over an hour on the phone waiting for customer service to answer (online chat was a no show as well). When they finally answered they started quoting policy to me about how unfortunately after an order is placed it cannot be modified. They told me that after I receive the item I can return it to the store for the correct size. Well that's the reason I ordered it online to begin with because the store didn't have the size I needed. This is beyond unacceptable. It is a keystroke on the order, no way that it can't be modified. It is a typical example of less than zero customer service. WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN...

kevin of Elizabeth, NJ on

I ordered a Barnett BC Raptor Reverse Crossbow seven days ago and have not received an order confirmation or a shipping notification still. I have attempted to call customer service four times and stayed on hold for twenty minutes before giving up. I will never buying anything from them ever again.

Jen of Evansville, IN on

Went to the local store to purchase a Hoverboard for my daughter's birthday on a Saturday. Store was out of stock so an associate helped me order one from online. Since I took cash I had to use my son's debit card and got the order number. The website said 3-5 days. It's been 6 business days and I still haven't got any confirmation email or even a shipping tracking number. I called 2 days ago and they said to give them 24 hours for the tracking number to appear. 48 hours later I called and was yelled at by a lady in the other end, who wouldn't discuss the order with me, even though it's in my name because I paid with my son's card. So rude. So here my daughter's birthday has come and we don't have a present or an answer to "when" it might come. I shop at the Academy here in Evansville very often, and I can honestly say after this experience I will probably never go back.

brian of Jacksonville, FL on

I purchased an elliptical in store via online order by associate. When I got home I found an elliptical at another store in stock. I called to cancel the order and after spending many hours on the phone talking to several associates and being transferred around the bottom line I got was my purchase cannot be refunded or cancelled. I have to wait until the order is shipped to my home and return it to the store or refuse the order. This type of service is not what I expected from a big company.

Bryan of Scott, LA on

When speaking to a academy associate, he told me that they match prices plus took off an additional 5 percent. I went in the store to buy a Winchester rifle that another store had on sale for 599.99 dollars. Well I showed the salesman the ad and say ok but then another associate says they don't match sales ads from other place on Black Friday prices. I waste 40 minutes there at Academy Sporting Goods to buy myself a Christmas present and they switched on me not to honor the price. Well Academy use to be my store and now it's not. I can't stand stores like this that want to bait and switch you for say... I had planned on buying 3 firearms today but after this I don't think so. I am going to Field and Stream and so are all my friends. You have a policy but don't honor it or pick and choose when you feel like it.

john of Round Rock, TX on

Poor shipping - I ordered a Cubs t-shirt several days before the World Series with 3 to 5 day shipping. The series is almost over now 8 days after order! Academy uses FedEx and they have messed up. Never expect an order to arrive on time from this retailer.

Troy of Sioux Falls, SD on

I eagerly ordered a Galco ankle holster from Academy as it was better than average price and free shipping to boot. As with many of the other reviews about Academy my order shipped much later than advertised. I finally received the box (oddly large for a holster) opened it and found a neon green "dreamy eyes dragon". A stuffed toy! Unlike many of these other comments, I was fortunate to have ordered through Amazon so within a week I had my money returned after sending the dragon back. I tried to order again but couldn't even find the item advertised. I called Amazon CS and was told to just keep checking their site if I wanted to try to order again. After a couple of tries I just quit looking and bought from a reputable company. It appears to me as though their on-line store is simply a overstock/salvage operation. Even if it costs a few bucks more, I'd suggest buying elsewhere.

Andrew of Florence, SC on

I ordered golf shirts for our company tournament from the online store on 9/20/16. While the process was slow, the CSR was thorough, which I assumed meant everything was being done correctly. I received an email confirming the order along with my order number. I also paid a premium for next day expedited delivery. See me sitting in the office two days later with no shirts to show to our management team. I called back and somehow they had changed my shipping to 2-Day and said it would go out in three separate packages. I was informed that it was too late to do anything about it that I would just have to wait. Wrong answer.

If I wanted to wait, I could have ordered from six other vendors we were considering. The shirts have to be embroidered with the company logo and the Breast Cancer Awareness ribbon. The earliest possible arrival date will now be Monday 9/26/16. That's six days. Six. I called back and was on hold for over 30 minutes. The one concession was that they said they will refund the shipping charges. That hasn't happened yet. They also said the order would be here. I now have to pay an additional expediting fee to get the shirts embroidered in time for the 10/6/16 tournament. I used this company on a recommendation from a colleague. Needless to say, they will never get another order from our company. We have about 250 people in the local office that we outfit with branded clothing several times a year. Academy will definitely be removed from the potential vendors list. Epic fail.

Robbie of Fort Worth, TX on

Academy recalled my firearm. Charter Arms says there is nothing wrong with my firearm. I asked for my firearm back or a refund. If Academy has another manufacturer tamper with my firearm, I could lose the warranty from Charter Arms. I need a REFUND from Academy for the unwarranted recall!! They have no idea what's going on with my firearm!!! Something is wrong with this!!!

Christina of Bartlett, TN on

This is not a complaint about the service I received. This is a concern about a possibly phony gun recall notice I received from Academy Sports. I received a letter stating that Academy was recalling my revolver & I should return it to the store to be sent for inspection. This was suspicious to me because I was told twice, once when I was just pricing & when I made the actual purchase, that under no circumstances was the gun to be returned to the store, even if there's a recall.

Also, when I contacted the manufacturer, I was told that they haven't had a recall on their revolvers in 52 years. The customer service manager said that if I had any problems with my gun, that they will gladly take care of any repairs. The letter from academy was also suspicious because there was no return address. I almost threw it away. If my firearm could potentially be dangerous, they should've put a return address on the envelope so customers at least know where the letter is from.

Like I said, I often disregard funny looking envelopes, especially when there's no return address & an unfamiliar postmark. I may just be nitpicking, but if this is a legitimate recall, Academy should've handled it differently. I'm also curious to know why customers would contact academy with problems when store employees tell customers that issues with firearms are to be reported to the manufacturer.

Academy Sports Company Profile