Academy Sports

Academy Sports + Outdoors

3.9/5 (365 ratings)

About Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports and Outdoors is an athletic apparel and sports equipment retailer with more than 290 locations across the U.S. Customers can browse a user-friendly website or visit a physical location and purchase discounted outdoor and fitness equipment and clothing, shoes, athletic accessories, gift cards and other health and fitness products.

Pros

• Fast shipping
  • Discounted prices
  • Name-brand items

Cons

• Does not ship to AK, CA or HI

Bottom Line

Academy Sports and Outdoors is a large sports and fitness retailer that offers clothing, equipment, accessories and shoes. The company has physical locations as well as an online shopping experience.

Top Academy Sports Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Verified

Academy Sports is unmatchable. I am obsessed with them to where I even shop online for running gear during this whole pandemic. I love the pricing points. They're so much cheaper ...

Verified

If you're looking for fishing gear, tennis equipment or just a hat, they have it. Awesome store. Our granddaughter need a pair of shoes for cheerleading, they were the only people...

What is Academy Sports and Outdoors?

Academy Sports and Outdoors’ inventory features popular home accessories, sporting goods and outdoor equipment such as:

• School uniforms
  • Bikes
  • Sports equipment
  • Electronics
  • Coolers and drinkware

Along with a wide selection of sports equipment and fitness gear, Academy Sports and Outdoors offers multiple other services.

Hunting and fishing licenses
Fees for hunting and fishing licenses vary by state and type of license. There is an easy-to-use chart on Academy’s website to help you determine the cost associated with these licenses in your state.
Line spooling
When you buy fishing gear from Academy Sports and Outdoors, employees spool the reel with up to 300 yards of line from the store’s bulk spools free of charge. If you bring your own line, employees will spool it for you.
Propane exchange
Academy Sports and Outdoors makes it easy and convenient to replace your propane tanks for your grill, RV and heater. You can purchase or exchange a 20-pound propane tank at any of its locations.
Scope mounting
When you purchase a firearm from Academy Sports and Outdoors, bore sighting and scope mounting are complementary. If you bring your own gun that wasn't purchased there, you can still have bore sighting and scope mounting done for a small fee.
Delivery and assembly
If you buy large or bulky items such as a treadmill, elliptical or grill, Academy Sports and Outdoors can arrange to have it delivered to your house and help you assemble it.

Academy Sports and Outdoors brands

Academy Sports and Outdoors offers fitness apparel and equipment for men, women and children from popular brands such as Nike, Adidas, Under Armour and Brooks.

Along with top brands in the running and fitness industries, Academy also has a wide selection of clothing and accessories for the active worksite from brands like Carhartt and leisure and outdoor wear and accessories name brands such as NorthFace, Yeti and Magellan Outdoors.

Academy Sports and Outdoor also offers high-quality swimwear from O’Rageous, casual, everyday shoes from brands like Vans and Crocs, athletic wear from BCG and home gym equipment from leading fitness retailer Marcy. Customers can shop by category or by brand and explore a wide selection of outdoor, camping, fitness and wellness products on its website.

Other popular brands include:

• New Balance
  • Nikon
  • Puma

Academy prices

Academy offers a wide range of products from outdoor, worksite and fitness brands at discounted rates. Some discounted products are only available online, and the company offers a low-price guarantee that matches any competitor’s price on an identical product.

All prices are clearly listed on the Academy website. Below, we’ve listed a few examples of Academy’s most popular outdoor and fitness items' costs.

ProductRegular PriceAcademy Price
Nike Men's Air Max Torch 4 Running Shoes$84.99$63.74
Brooks Women's Ghost 12 Running Shoes$129.99$109.99
Schwinn 810 Treadmill$1,299$999
Spot Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger$149.99$99

Academy Sports and Outdoors offers deals and discounts on a variety of products directly on its website. Customers can check the clearance section for discounted men's and women's clothing, kids’ clothing, shoes, home accessories, lawn tools, health and fitness equipment, sports gear and NFL-themed fan apparel.

Even items that aren't in the clearance section or on sale are typically priced lower than retail prices. Customers can browse the website by category, price, brand and delivery/pickup options. Academy Sports and Outdoors offers free in-store pickup and free shipping on orders of $25 or more.

Academy Sports and Outdoors FAQ

Who owns Academy Sports and Outdoors?
Academy Sports and Outdoors is owned by KKR, a global investment firm.
Who does Academy Sports ship through?
Academy uses FedEx, UPS, the U.S. Postal Service or a freight trucking company that delivers orders to every U.S. state except Alaska, California and Hawaii.
How long does Academy Sports take to ship?
Most items ship in three to five business days
What forms of payments does Academy Sports accept?
Academy accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

Is Academy Sports and Outdoors legit?

Academy Sports and Outdoors is a legitimate discount retailer that offers a wide selection of fitness and outdoor products for discounted rates, but reviews are mixed about available inventory and customer service. If you’re looking for athletic apparel or sporting goods at discount prices but don’t have a specific product in mind, it’s worth shopping at Academy to see if you can find a good value.

Academy Sports Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

I ordered a pair of men's sweatpants online a month ago, it took a while to come in and when it finally did, it was the wrong size. I ordered a small and they sent me a XXL. I took it to the store to hopefully exchange it and they said there was nothing they could do because they were out of stock. I waited for it to come back into stock as the employee in the store said they stock up very frequently. I eventually ordered again and within a few days, they completely canceled my order. I guess they are advertising products as in stock when they really don't have any available. Very frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Academy Sports should have never sold an item they didn't have in stock. What a poor business model! When the baseball bat wasn't shipped I called 2 weeks later and Academy stated it had been sold while not being in stock - even though the website clearly showed the bat as being in stock. During the phone call the Academy representative stated it would be shipped in 2 weeks. Of course it never was shipped. I called again in 6 weeks and asked where my bat was and the representative UNBELIEVABLY stated that the order had been cancelled right after the first phone call, even though at the time the customer service representative told me it would be shipped in 2 weeks. I never got a notice that the item was cancelled.

The Academy representative stated that Wilson was supposed to have emailed the cancel notice. BUT, I bought from Academy, why am I looking for a Wilson email? Academy should have emailed the cancel notice. All the while I could have bought the bat from other sellers at the same cost. The worst customer service ever!! Please take your business elsewhere. I will never buy from Academy Sports again and suggest you don't either!!

Get buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

I was never updated on the item I never received, when I tried calling the store no one picked up. Just bad service all around, what is the point of having shipping if it’s not going to happen. I need a refund too.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

Academy Sports has terrible online support. We ordered shoes for pick up in store. We were given the wrong color with no tags. We called online support and they only offered an in store exchange, but the store didn’t have the correct style. We called and ordered again, and they sent the wrong size. They cannot resend the correct shoes without charging with a new order.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

Trying to apply for credit using online access and it rejects my email. Tried to contact Academy customer care 8882980045 for help but was given number to Community Capital Bank 8773218509 instead. I was literally transferred to an unmanned option with 2 choices received a letter or didn't receive a letter and was disconnected all three times. On the 4th try I specifically asked not to be transferred to that line again but to a live person instead I was hung up on. Customer care is not an option with Academy Sports.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Went into Academy Sports in Evans, GA to look at the Bond Arms Rough Neck. Both gun guys were busy so they got the gal to help. Asked the snotty gal to take the trigger lock off so that I could check the action and dry fire the pistol. (Most gun owners would consider this a reasonable request because of the "All sales are final" policy of these big box stores.) She said that she wouldn't do it because it was against policy and has been that way ever since she worked there for 17 years. Well, I've bought 1 shotgun and 3 pistols there -- bought a Sig last year -- I was able to check the action and dry fire each and every one in that same store.

When I asked how I was suppose to check it out, with a very snotty tone, she said, "Do your research before you come in to buy. Besides, that gun is not good." I've never had a gun store employee treat me like this or speak so negatively about a product. I don't think Bond Arms would like retailers speaking this way about their fine products. Won't be buying anything from this outfit ever again. I urge others to avoid this company and start supporting your local neighborhood gun shop. Even if you have to pay a little more, it's worth supporting the small time operator. They won't squawk about removing a trigger lock and letting you dry fire.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

Recently purchased some white shoes that FINALLY arrived. Reviewing my NEW shoes and see that are not so new. The soles of the shoe were cream and had smudges all along the side and back of both shoes. The customer service lady was very kind and professional but was unable to do anything according to the policy. This was my first purchase and last one. If I could give 0 stars I would

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Bought two pair of Reebok shoes, and within less than return policy start unglue logo sign, front fabric. My sons were wearing them very occasionally not every day. Looks like they selling cheap items with brand logos on them. They last less than cheap Walmart brand which I could buy for less than $12. I went to exchange them because they were defective and they say, "We cannot get it because it’s not resalable condition." They sell used items as new. How do I need to know if they are good or not? They say there must be invisible wear. They refused to exchange the items. Why they give such a long return policy if they don’t mean it? I am so disappointed, this place is a ripoff you buy it and forget about return.

Original review: July 23, 2022

I bought a pair of shoes a few months ago and I had a great experience. They had a great selection of running shoes. The staff were very friendly and the lines were not long. I would definitely be back for more purchases in the future.

Original review: June 5, 2022

Received my package, the next day I decided to put them on realized they're too tight. I looked at the tag and they were a womens 7! I looked back at my email and sure thing seen I preferred a womens 9. Called and I have the return and they won’t send me the right size even though they are the ones who did it! Unbelievable. I will never shop here again because of this.

Academy Sports Company Information