Academy Sports
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Academy Sports + Outdoors

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 29, 2017

116 Academy Sports Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Went to Academy Sports on Outerloop, Louisville Ky, went there to possibly purchase a Beretta Arx 100, we get to the counter, and ask the guy if I can check it out. He tells me that he needs to run my license just to see it, and then I asked why, he said it's a new policy. So I give it to him, because I dont have anything to hide, like I said I just bought three here over the summer, and they didnt ask to run my license just to check it out.

He gets on a computer, starts doing something with my license, then 5 minutes later, he tells me that I'm on a do not sell list, so I cant even look at it, like I said I just bought 3, 1000 rifles, and I've never been in trouble my whole life. I feel like I was lied to and I'm not sure what he did with my license on that computer, so we start to argue.

This is bs, tells me, kids and wife that we can't come back in there, and if we do hell call the cops and we'll get arrested, then bows up on my wife and pretty much pushes us out the door, but when we ask why, no answers, just rude. Tells my wife in her face to get the ** OUT. We had just left Cabela's. Right before arriving at this nightmare, we had no problems there, but Cabela's didnt have the rifle we wanted, so I'm not sure what can be done about this. Was totally treated like **, worst experience of my life, and were faithful shoppers here. He had my id, not sure what he's capable of doing with my information. Please any advice would be great!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

My husband is working in extreme mud and water this weekend and wears a large size that they do not carry in stock locally. I ordered some in stock boots on Tuesday morning. I paid $38.66 for Next Business Day delivery. I hoped they would ship Tuesday, but it would be fine if they shipped Wednesday. Wednesday night I looked and they still didn't ship so I emailed customer service. The next morning I had an email saying they would get back to me in 24 hours. That would make me lose another day so I got on email chat and Fernando emailed me and told me they are scheduled for delivery by FedEx on Monday.

So I ordered them Tuesday, and Next Business Day to them is the following Monday. He told me he could credit me for the extra shipping charges. My husband will no longer need the boots. I will never order from these people again. Awful service and don't seem to care. Wish I would have read these other complaints beforehand. Learned a lesson.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Over a month and a half with no item. I have yet to receive my item that I purchased August 31, 2017 and it is now October 19, 2017. It has not been a pleasant experience either. I will NEVER recommend this company and especially not the company they use to "ship/deliver" their items. I have had 3 set delivery dates. The first one they brought the wrong item. Almost a month later another set date, the time came and went, I sat at my home for the 4 hour window and no item. When I called they didn't know where my item was and I was told that they would call me when they found it.

A week later, I called them and that was a ** show trying to talk to someone who knew what was going on. They finally told me that they found it and that I could schedule to have it delivered. Hahahaha! Yeah, we still don't have it. NEVER showed up, NEVER got a call, until they wanted my review of the whole situation! So here I am giving my review WITHOUT even having my item! Thanks for a lot of stress and frustration!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I haven't been in the military but I work for the Air Force, I wore this hat to work and a lot of buddies that are vets pointed out the flag on the hat explaining why it was wrong. I did my own research and found out that the stars go on the left-hand side when the flag is vertical. Being a company that sells military merchandise would know and respect this, I will definitely double check items I buy when I support our troops. Hopefully this post has the same effect on academy.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Placed order on 9/22. One time! Charged my card THREE times to the tune of $1200! It overdrew my account. Called got a rep. Got put on hold for 34 minutes. Called back. Got disconnected. Called back. Got manager who spoke very little English. Got charges reversed but now have 5 overdraft fees that they are going to pay because I will employ an attorney. Still have not received order because they just told me IT'S ON BACKORDER. Can't cancel because it's due to ship tomorrow 9/28. I'm done with Academy and will NEVER shop there again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Don't buy from Academy unless you are willing to wait longer than 5 business days. They claim item will be delivered within 3-5 business days. BIG LIE!!! I order shoes from there with expectation I will receive them in 5 Business days as they stated. Well. It's been a week now and EDT got pushed until next week. No more Academy. Lesson learned!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

This day I visited Academy store at Leebranch in Birmingham, AL. I wanted to purchase a handgun. Spent almost an hour filling out papers and being interviewed, finally all is well with paperwork proceeded to check out. Purchase was $535 my check was turned down for no reason given, apparently this is a common problem as the clerk handed me a card from Cetergy check service if I wanted to know why check was turned down I should contact them. So I have wasted an hour of my time and was publicly humiliated and Academy copes out that it's their check service's fault. Academy lost a $535 sale and any future sales that I may have had, in addition I plan on posting this on Facebook so everyone can see what a ** store Academy is!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

WORST! They charged me twice and refuse to give me my money back. And I still don't have my order! They called the second charge a pre-authorization charge but no one can tell me what that is. Even if there is such thing as a pre-authorization charge, not $80.95! Watch your bank accounts!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Placed an order at store. FedEx delivered to wrong address. Called Academy. Has been horrible. So unprofessional. Waiting is the worst & can NEVER get hold of management. I'm thinking they are vacation while at work. And lucky me I got a replacement for an item I paid for & never received. They reshipped me another. CSA offered me 20% promo code. Got an email for 10%. Also if I really needed the item for me to drive 90-mile round trip to pick up at a different Academy at my own expense & time. Another issue another CSA wanted me to go retrieve delivery from wrong address. Seriously if FedEx left it who knows where. How would I know where to go get it. Besides I wouldn't know what kind of people live there. Suggestion was as dumb as employees.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

No real price matching! I found one pair of shoes advertised at another store, the same product but were dark brown instead of black. We were told that the product code and all details must be exactly the same, the color difference prevented matching the price. This product typically retails for around $25 to 30 dollars but at Academy it is $45.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I ordered school uniforms online and paid in excess of 20.00 dollars for overnight shipping to have confirmation sent to me saying it will be shipped ground in 3-5 businesses days. Not what I paid for at all. If I had wanted that I would have taken the free option. So I called the number to their customer services to cancel the order. Waited on the phone for someone to pick up. Took over 45 min only to be told that the order was too far gone and if I wanted my money back I would have to wait till it shipped. Then I said I want my overnight shipping fee refunded. After all I'm not getting the items overnight. The agent said "oh we cant do that cause it hasn't shipped." I asked to speak with a supervisor and was put on hold for another 30 min and hung up on. Needless to say they have the worst policies ever. Do not ever waste your time here.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

These shoes are great. My wife has ran in several pair. My online experience with Academy has been the worst I have ever experienced. I placed my order and paid for it only to have Academy not send me email confirmation of shipping. After 1 week I called and was told I would get an email that day about the shipment (1week after order.) Ten days after order I called again and was told they didn't know what was going on with my order. I explained that I needed this order for my wife who has several professional races and will be on a national television series. This is the reason I was ordering 3 weeks ahead of time. After 2 weeks went by, still no one has called me or emailed me to let me know what is going on. I called several times this week and chatted with the online "Specialist" who didn't help me at all nor did they have answers.

On one of my last calls, I was told the shoes were on back order (this was not true as I confirmed it with another representative) and then I was told it was an issue with Salomon (which was also not true after calling Salomon myself.) Needless to say I never got the shoes but I paid for them! Academy said they would refund the amount of the shoes and give me a discount on the second pair (which still hadn't arrived.) I told them I didn't want the shoes, and that I would get them elsewhere. They cancelled the order immediately. After reviewing my PayPal account, I noted 3 charges for the shoes on my account (2.5x the original amount of both shoes) and a refund of $26. When I tried to call customer support, I was placed on hold (just like I was used to) for approximately 20-25 minutes and then Academy would hang up on me. I thought this was a mistake; so I tried again (same result.)

Then I tried to chat with a representative online (which had worked before all these issues.) Ironically, no one ever connected; and when they did it disconnected immediately when I started to type my concerns for the charges to my Paypal. This has been the WORST experience with any company I have ever encountered.The biggest issue I had was that I was NEVER called/emailed/contacted once by any staff of Academy, but I had paid for the shoes (I think I would have received a call had I not paid.) My wife and I both race professionally, and previously/frequently promoted Academy to friends and fellow competitors. After this experience, we will not be making any further purchases with Academy online or in store; and we will be sure to negatively market Academy as this has been a poor model of how a business should function. Now they are asking for my feedback. When I gave my honest feedback so others could see, they are deleting it.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

First off this is not the "Academy Store" that I have been buying from for over 35 years. It is new owners and not from the original family owned Academy that started it. Bought a pair of Magellan All Terrain III hunting boots for the 2016-17 hunting season to mainly keep my feet warm on cold mornings. In Texas there were only 5-6 cold mornings and 2-3 days that I needed them due to cold weather. Most of the time they remained in the dry storage bin until hunting season was over and then I put them in my closet.

I was invited to Colorado in July to hike in Beaver Creek area and planned to use these for ankle support since they are lace up. During the descent I kept thinking I was dragging my right foot when until another person in our group pointed out the sole was coming "unglued" from the boot. Fortunately the walking stick I was using had a leather strap to wrap around the boot and keep me from falling and injuring myself during the two mile descent.

Upon returning from this trip I contacted Academy and told customer service this story and that I no longer had a receipt and if they would not be able to rectify the problem please just let me know so I would not be wasting mine and their time. Well short story I still have the useless defective boots and the aggravation of the waste of time.

Contacted the manager by phone on the way home and was further offended and offered a 20% discount for another pair of boots. Told him I would not spend another penny and expected a full refund. Contacted customer service and was offered 30% discount for new boots and an apology. I am waiting for a response from Magellan. Academy customers must be product quality guinea pigs and my only recourse is to buy online and not have to deal w/ the new box store who does not know what customer service is anymore. They will not receive another penny from me and I feel betrayed by the new Academy.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I did buy a battery less than a year ago but I lost my receipt and even when the battery has a date on it when the manufacturer send it to them I did buy the battery after the date printed on the battery. They didn't honor the one year warranty on the battery. The excuse they gave me was that it was a new policy: no receipt, no exchange. I do buy all my fishing staff from Academy. Camping, footwear and the clothes. But after this no more. Academy it's gone for me. Well I guess I may have to go to Wal-Mart and Bass Pro shop now.

Original review: July 4, 2017

Their inventory system is horrible. We had to go from store to store because they keep telling the product will be available at the next store. Last one even supposedly will put in on hold for we get there and no swimming pool!! Then we wonder why we buy so much online. :(

Original review: June 21, 2017

I'm gonna make this short and sweet because I've posted this review on every website I could find. I purchased a 400 lb gun safe from Academy Sports in Jackson, Tn for 600 dollars, which was a great sale price at the time I thought. After moving the safe in my home and removed the box it was in, I couldn't believe how badly beaten the safe looked. I can't even begin to describe it, just know it looked like it had been beaten with a sledgehammer. After I contacted the manager Zach ** it made the situation even worse and more stressful. He blamed me for not checking the safe before I left the store, which I thought was ridiculous for a manager to tell a customer. Secondly, after I got the safe loaded back on the trailer to return because he said he would swap it with another NEW one, come to find out they didn't have anymore and he just said "well you can have the display."

That done it for me, I returned the safe and asked for my money back. Mr. ** not one time said anything to the extent of "Sorry for your troubles" or nothing. Just absolutely disgusted with this store and I will not be going back for anything, that's a guarantee. I'm a veteran and currently a student at Sonoran Desert Institute majoring in Science of Firearms Technology. I absolutely loved this store before this experience, but they obviously don't care about how they treat their customers only their sale volume. So buyers beware if you shop at the Jackson, TN Academy Sports.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I've always loved the store. I've spent countless of dollars there, however went for an interview & the management staff was rude & very unprofessional. I called the Shreveport, LA. They were equally rude over the phone that have just lost me as a customer. I'm never returning.

Original review: June 18, 2017

Called local stores which were all sold out of special deal, called store 200 miles away, they had some left in stock, explained distance involved and that I was worried that they would be out of stock by the time I got there and was promised that if they were that I could get a rain check for later. Upon arrival was told that the deal was sold out and no rain checks would be given. Asked to speak to a manager and explained (politely) the situation and was completely blown off and told I was out of luck. 200 miles of driving for nothing! I will never set a foot inside an Academy Sports store again. I put my money where my mouth is and they will not get a penny of my money. I'll buy from Bud's online or pay more at a local small town dealer. I encourage everyone else to boycott this dishonest place too. When Academy ends up like gander mountain it will serve them right.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Buy one get one free pistol Father's Day sale. I called about this sale on 6/15/2017. The Lake Charles Academy said they were already out, but would issue a rain check. When I got to the store that same day I was told they were no longer issuing rain checks. It seems academy is more interested in getting you in the store than living up to their commitments.

Original review: June 15, 2017

My husband, child, and I went to an Academy store in Texarkana, Texas looking to purchase shoes for the entire family. We made our way to the shoe area and tried shoes on our baby then put them in the shopping cart. We were looking for shoes for me when three employees, two males and one female, walked up out of nowhere. They were quite close to us, so much so that my husband had to ask one of them to move so we could adjust the position of the cart. They stood around adjusting a display and generally fidgeting around. It became obvious after a moment that they were keeping an eye on us so we put everything back and left the store. I would have let it be but after talking to a few people who have had similar experiences, I felt the need to speak up.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Salesman at the gun counter did not want to help me. Stood at the counter about 15 min. Before he help me. Went and ate some chips talking to another worker. Salesman (Anthony) guns sales. Pasadena store.

Original review: May 3, 2017

5 straight years I have gone into Academy Sports in Overland Park, KS. To buy deer tags or turkey permits because it's close to the house. All 5 years the tag machine thru Kansas Wildlife is broke and can't print tags. 5 years times two is insane. Get it together people. It's stupid!!!

Original review: May 2, 2017

On 5/1/2017 at approx 1:30 pm I talked with the Humble, Tx Academy store manager/assistant manager about matching the price of a gun safe with the Walmart price. The gun case was described as an "18-gun fully convertible steel security cabinet". The dimensions were 21.00 x 18.00 x 55.00 Inches. The Walmart price was $149. The Academy price was $179. After comparing the two cabinets, they were the exactly the same physically... Same dimensions, same height, same content, same number of shelves inside, same locking mechanism.

You would think a store manager would use some common sense and use some good PR in dealing with customers. He did not. He refused to match the Walmart price... Citing some minor discrepancy in the "Model number"... And I mean minor! It was obvious as day that both gun cases were identical except in some very minor detail in the "Model number". Think about it. This store manager could have sold an item, made a profit, made the customer happy. He did NONE of the above. AND, he lost me (And my friends and family) as a customer FOREVER! No more Academy Sports for me or my family!!!

Original review: April 11, 2017

My son, husband, and I went into the Academy store in Cartersville GA to get all things needed for fishing. We got our little boy his gear and then for us, we bought 2 spinner rods. We had the associate, James **, set them all up with the line so all we would have to do is put the hook and bait on. One of the rods would not reel in, therefore we went back to the store, talked with James again and he figured out that the rod was busted.

He then gave us a new one, put the line on and again got it ready so all we had to do was put the hook and bait on it. He was the greatest help. He even gave us a few places to take our kayaks (that we just bought at Academy as well) out to to fish. He was the sweetest person and you could tell he took pride in his job and wanted to make his customers happy. Academy should be proud to know they have an employee like James **!! Because of him, I will shop at Academy for ALL of my outdoor needs!! Thank you James!!

Original review: April 10, 2017

My Academy treadmill has lots of programmable features and speakers. It takes your heart rate. It allows you to adjust speed and ramp. It also allows for you to plug in your phone for music. But they are expensive and very heavy. I would like it to come with a TV like the ones in the gym. But those are too expensive. It would also be nice to fold up and put out of sight. It is overall easy to use though.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I went to one of your local stores for fishing baits. When I got to the store there was bare shelves of the baits that I was after. That was not a problem seeing that I had several left in my tackle box. So I went back 3 times for the next 3 weeks and the shelves were still bare. So I went to the next city over from me, by passing the Bass Pro Shops to another Academy and found the baits that I was looking for. That store didn't have a problem keeping items on the shelves.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I was at Academy Sports in Greenville, NC on Saturday, March 25 and I had been shopping there since last November and in Jacksonville NC as well. I went in to buy some running shoes and picked out the Gel Nimbus by Asics and the young lady did not have my size so she ordered them. Right then I paid for them standing on the shoe aisle with the store inventory type gadget she was using. I got an order confirmation and delivery method. I get an e mail the next day saying the order was cancelled and the money would be credited to my account. I called the 888 number and waited seemed like forever and when someone picked up they hung up. I called the Greenville store and asked to speak with the manager, they wanted to know who was calling. I said, "Skip the intro, my name isn't important to no one but the manager." The guy who answered said, "Oh Really?" My second complaint there!

I said I want to speak with the manager. Eddie come on the line and I told him about my experience and how I was disappointed in how an order can be placed and cancelled. He told me later that the item I ordered was sold out before they could fill my order and that they had no more orders for that shoe to come in. Now I want to know if there is inventory accounted for and the order is confirmed as well as shipping how can they send out shoes if they are not in stock, why can't they say back ordered instead of cancelling the order?? I don't understand this and I didn't like this at all.

The sad thing is I bought my GF a $100 gift card for Christmas and it's got to be spent there or maybe she will get her money back. I have receipt, and we can go to where the people know what they are doing, like Dicks or just order direct Asics shoes online and skip the middle man! I will NOT go back to that store again. I will add the lady that took my order was very nice and helpful. But I still don't have any shoes or my money back in my account as of today at 8:55 am.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I went to Academy since it was close by. I had an ad from Home Depot with a portable table cheaper than Academy. The table was identical as the price match policy states and the store would not honor it. They gave me every excuse in the book. Very disappointed. Never shopping there again.

Original review: March 10, 2017

Bad product sold and don't want to issue refund - Bad customer service! Sold me a 1000 rounds of ammo that is damaged and not circulating at all. Came to the store to get an exchange or refund, the manager was rude and unwilling to help me find a solution to the situation and said to me, "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GO AND DON'T COME BACK!!!" If it's guns and ammunition you're looking for go elsewhere. They are selling defective rounds!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I ordered a boxing uniform that I specifically paid for a certain color and they send me the wrong one. So I called customer service and told them they messed up on my order even though they sent the order paper with the uniform of the color I pick and yet they still sent me the wrong one. So the lady went ahead and re-ordered my purchase and again they still send the wrong one which is the same as the last one and again it had the order paper with it and yet they keep sending the wrong one. They must not know how to read or not caring to make sure they send the right product that was ordered that I paid for. Poor workmanship. Poor services.

Academy Sports Company Information