2.91/5

Academy Sports + Outdoors

197 Academy Sports Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 12, 2019

My order was cancelled by Academy after 4 business days stating that they cannot fulfill the order at this time (who knows why!). When I sent an email to customer service asking the reason of the cancellation I received a response from the CS Team with no signature in the email, saying that they've already told me the reason of the cancellation on the CS Chat. The problem is that the response from the customer service chat was not valid at all, stating that they cancelled my order due to my Paypal CC rejected the authorization because my apartment number was missing in their website billing information (what it does not mean that the information was missing in the Paypal confirmation system).

Finally, as I confirmed with Paypal that there is not such a problem with the address, they are still holding my payment and cancelled the order without any genuine explanation. They also pretend I place another order losing the original discounts and promos and gave me a very doubtful 20% off coupon to re-order the same items at a higher price!

Academy is scamming people attracting them to their website with sales and discounts and then cancelling the orders to not give such discounts, making people re-order at a higher price. I hope these people release the hold in my credit card payment as soon as the law requires it. This company is out there doing fraudulent business and should be suspended and penalized by illegal practices. I hope more people report this dishonest company on their fraudulent practices so they cannot get away with their macabre online sales system anymore!

Original review: April 8, 2019

Bought a couple of things from Academy more than a year ago online. Everything went ok and never received any spam emails from them and that was great because if I want to buy I will go to them. Now within the last month they have been spamming me daily with multiple emails. In the emails they have a link where where you can unsubscribe but it doesn't work they just keep spamming. Even if you go to your account and unsubscribe they keep spamming. Will never do business with a company that does this to potential future customers. Will do business with Cabela's that treat their customer with respect and don't spam. Booo to Academy they have no respect or integrity!

Get expert buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I purchased a Taurus G2C that was advertised and still available for purchase online for 199.99 which is the lowest price available for this item. When I called to ask why my order was cancelled and why my card got charged despite the item "not being available" I was given the run around. In short, they knew they could not fill this order days ago and yet continue to allow people to, not only order the item online, but take payment. This is a classic bait and switch and totally unacceptable to me, so I simply will never do business with them. Cabela has the item in store and is matching the price so I'm not worried. However, I have to wait till next week to get my card credited which may be a problem for some people. The best way to deal with this kind of scam is to stop doing business with them.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I was trying to buy a grill for the Summer and 2 times my order was canceled without explanation. I called Customer Service to find out what happened and they don't know... Very Disappointed!!! I had an 80 dollar discount that I lost with the 2nd cancellation.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Employees tend to hide from the customers so that there is never anyone there to help you when you need help. When you can finally flag someone down, they claim that is not their department and you need to find someone in that department. Shoes are overpriced (much better deals on Amazon), and the shoe boxes often have the wrong shoes in them or are not matches. It's very frustrating. We have bought sports equipment here and get home only to find that the boxes have been opened and parts are missing. This store is very poorly managed and it is no surprise that the manager's names and contact information is not on the receipts. Good managers of establishments are proud and will put their name and contact number on the receipts. If this store did that, then I could settle these problems with them individually instead of posting these reviews. ;-/

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Academy Sports?

Original review: March 25, 2019

We purchased a gun safe on 3/9/19. It was set up to be shipped/delivered by EFW freight. We were called on 3/19/19 by Estes Freight to set up a delivery (in home/299.00) and were given 3/22/19 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. I took a vacation day from work and waited most of the day only to call and find out that Estes was not delivering after all, that they have transferred the shipment to J & P Haulers for a "white glove" deliver. This I can appreciate. Although, when given the number for J & P Haulers and having to call them myself, the most wonderful young lady (Ashley) helped me. She did not deliver good news, but it was not her fault.

The Estes driver pulled into their dock with the paperwork for our material, but the material is lost. Academy customer service is on the same level as AT&T, probably the worst in the world. They put you off for the next day or the next person. They never call back as they say they will, they never "escalate" the issue, they never email you as they say they will. I did receive a 15% coupon code to order online... Ummm no thanks. I will never order from Academy again.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I went to my local Academy Sports in Warner Robins, GA to purchase a bat for my 7 year old to play Little League baseball. They were out of stock on the model that I wanted, a Rawlings Mach 2 27" so I spent an extra $20 and got the Rawlings Threat 27"- which is a $100 bat! To my surprise I found out that this bat is not legal for use in Little League baseball. I spoke with the manager on duty (Jay), the corporate office, and the store manager (Tom) and explained my situation. I informed them they sell bats that are not approved for Little League use rather for USSSA, also known as "travel ball." This explains why they had a rack full of these bats- very few kids can use them unless you travel around the state playing baseball at 7 years old. Long story short, they denied me a refund or exchange even after I informed them that I bought the correct bat from the Academy website afterwards. Even a store credit would have been fine with me.

Original review: March 10, 2019

People working in shoe department have no respect to customer at all. I'll not go back to that store if everything is free. No respect - no business. Complaining to store manager is also useless. No action was taken behalf of the disrespect and reaction. This store is located in Manchester, MO in the heart of west county. Peoples expectations are too high and deserve really good service.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Went to purchase soccer shoes for my daughter. Shoe area was in disarray. We looked for someone to help, and no-one was working in shoes. Today, I went there to complete a return. Again, no one was in the shoe department. I walked to the front and asked "Joe" if someone could help me in shoes. I waited in the department for 10 minutes before deciding to leave. I went to the front to complete my return and advised the cashier of my experience (blond male). No apologies were given. I called Bill the store manager and was hung up on 3 times before I finally got Bill on the line. As I was sharing my experience, he disconnected the call. DO NOT GO HERE! Find another store or shop online.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Local store did not have the right size running pants in stock, had a larger size. Tried the larger size on along with several other items but kept coming back to these running pants. Took the larger size pants to customer service and they looked up the correct size and stated they could have them shipped to my house in two days. I ordered the right size (large) paid for the item (**) and received a card with my order number. Received the item in the mail two days later and have been using the Nike Flex Running Pants at the gym since. The pants are extremely comfortable and most of the time you do not even notice you're wearing them because of the stretch. Great product!

Academy Sports Company Information