Find the Best Sporting Goods Stores
Compare Reviews for Top Sporting Goods Stores
Read 228 Reviews
Academy Sports and Outdoors was founded in 1938 and is headquartered near Katy, Texas. Today, it is one of the nation's largest sporting goods and outdoor retailers, with annual sales exceeding 4 billion dollars.
Read 307 Reviews
Headquartered in Herzogenaurach, Germany, Adidas was founded in 1949 and designs and manufactures shoes, clothing and sports equipment. Today, it employs over 55,000 people in 160 countries and sells 778 million products annually.
|Dick's Sporting Goods|
Read 516 Reviews
Founded in 1948 and located in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, Dick’s Sporting Goods is a leading retailer of sports equipment, apparel, footwear and accessories. It operates over 600 stores nationwide.
Read 460 Reviews
Established in 1964 and headquartered near Beaverton, Oregon, Nike researches, designs and manufactures sports apparel and equipment worldwide. Today, it operates over 900 retail stores across the globe.
|Bass Pro Shops|
Read 81 Reviews
Founded in 1972 and headquartered in Springfield, Missouri, Bass Pro Shops is a top retailer of outdoor gear and apparel. It has over 100 stores and Marine Centers and helps lead hundreds of conservation projects nationwide.
|Warrior Custom Golf|
Read 488 Reviews
Headquartered in Irvine, California, Warrior Custom Golf was formed to develop, manufacture and market custom golf clubs for golfers across the globe. Today, it has sold quality, custom clubs to over 1 million customers worldwide.
Read 88 Reviews
REI was founded in 1938 and designs and sells its own brand of outdoor gear as well as other brands of sporting goods, camping gear, travel equipment and clothing. It donates millions of dollars to conservation each year.
|Sierra Trading Post||Read 51 Reviews|
Established in 1986 and headquartered in Cheyenne, Wyoming, Sierra Trading Post is an online and brick-and-mortar discount retailer of outdoor gear and apparel. It shops closeouts and overstocks to offer big savings on gear.
Read 70 Reviews
Founded in 1900 and located in Wichita, Kansas, Coleman is a retailer of outdoor camping products, including propane lanterns and stoves. Today, Coleman manufacturers camp cookware, sleeping bags and tents, among other products.
|Caterpillar Boots and Shoes|
Read 50 Reviews
Known for making heavy equipment, Caterpillar (CAT) designs and makes mens and womens casual boots and shoes. They also make a line of mens and womens work boots.
Which features of a sporting goods store matter most?
What products do sporting goods stores carry?
Possibly the most important feature of any sporting goods store is the selection of its apparel and equipment. Larger stores will carry a wider variety of brands as well as a bigger variety of equipment that encompasses several categories of sport, including everything from basketball, football, soccer and baseball, to things like hunting, fishing, kayaking and camping.
- Apparel: Apparel selection plays a big part in what you shop for at a sporting goods store. Large retailers will carry multiple brands that make casual sportswear as well as active sportswear for sports and other outdoor activities like hunting, hiking and camping.
- Equipment: Whether you’re looking for balls, bats, helmets and gloves for your little league baseball, football or soccer team, or you need a sleeping bag, stove and tent for an extended backpacking trip, sporting goods stores should have a broad selection of equipment, across multiple disciplines to choose from.
- Large equipment: Large sporting good stores have showrooms for big equipment like ATVs and boats. You can walk through different models, much like you would at a car dealership or an open-house showing.
What features come with sporting goods stores mobile applications?
Sporting goods stores develop mobile applications that come with features to make online shopping easy and accessible from any location. Most applications let you shop online, manage and redeem rewards points, view customized rewards tailored for you based on your shopping habits and find a physical store nearest you.
- Shop online: Mobile applications are optimized for online shopping from any smartphone or mobile device. They typically break down products into easily accessible categories such as team sports, footwear, exercise and sports. It is a good idea to make sure the mobile application you use has secure payment methods to protect your personal information.
- Offers and deals: A lot of sporting goods stores can pick up on your shopping and spending habits within their mobile application and customize offers and deals for you. They also have weekly deals specific to your location like back-to-school sales or sales for the start of each sporting season. If a store offers rewards points, you can track and manage your points directly from your app.
- Special features: Some sporting goods stores have special features on their mobile apps that help you stay active while earning rewards points for hitting your fitness goals. Other applications have features that show nearby outdoor activities and maps based on your current location.
What kind of promotions do sporting goods stores offer?
Like most retailers, sporting goods stores constantly offer promotions, especially on their website. Their promotions are typically based on the current season and/or the current sports season. Online, you can find things like free shipping, weekly ads and current promotions at stores nearest you.
- Seasonal: Sporting goods stores tend to offer promotions based on which sport is currently in season or about to be in season. You can take advantage of these seasonal promotions to purchase any necessary gear for your child’s sport, or, if you’re a coach, buy things in bulk.
- Clearance: Sporting goods stores have heavily discounted items in the clearance sections online and in-store. Clearance items consist of brands’ models or styles from the previous year that are being offered at large discounts.
- Weekly ads: Sporting goods stores sometimes run weekly ads online with various promotions across different sports. You can find sales on apparel and equipment, as well as special financing deals for larger equipment like treadmills and weight machines.
How can I return items to a sporting goods store?
If you do most of your shopping online, a sporting goods store’s return policy is an important feature to consider. Each sporting goods store has different rules and regulations under their return policy, but most require proof of purchase and the option to return an item via mail or at a store location.
- Returns: Returns can be either mailed in or taken into the closest store near you. Most sporting goods stores require you to have proof of purchase and the original tags and/or packaging. For returns through the mail, be sure to find the correct address specific to that store’s returns department.
- Exclusions/restrictions: It is important to note that things like firearms, ammunition, gas-powered equipment, bikes, special order items and gift cards can not be returned. Things like baseball bats and electronics can not be returned if the package has been opened.
What are the different types of sporting goods stores?
Sporting goods stores have many, sometimes hundreds, of physical store locations across the globe. These brick-and-mortar locations can have a very large selection of apparel, gear, equipment and can even carry ATVs and boats. Stores with physical locations allow consumers to go in and try on clothes, test equipment and speak with knowledgeable sales representatives in person.
Many sporting goods stores with physical locations also have fully-capable e-commerce websites that allow consumers to browse apparel, equipment and accessories online. Shopping online can yield good deals and prices, as well as free shipping to either your home or the closest physical store location. Consumers can even live-chat with representatives as they shop online, should any questions come up.
Who shops at sporting goods stores?
Families with kids involved in sports
Families with children involved in sports for school or in a private league can shop at an online or brick-and-mortar sporting goods store to buy the necessary equipment they will need. Most large sporting good retailers carry a full line of equipment for each sport.
People who play recreational sports
People who play in recreational leagues or intramural leagues for fun can find any equipment they might need at a sporting good store.
People who exercise
Runners, bikers or weight lifters can find the necessary equipment and clothing needed to be comfortable and perform well during any form of exercise.
People who coach sports
Little league and recreational coaches can find equipment such as balls, bats, gloves, cones, jerseys and much more to meet their team's needs for games and practices.
Avid hikers, backpackers, hunters, fishermen and kayakers can find almost any piece of outdoor equipment they might need on a trip in an online or brick-and-mortar sporting goods store. Large retailers carry anything from camping stoves, sleeping bags and tents to fishing poles, hunting rifles and kayaks.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.