2. Solar Energy

4.5/5 (103 ratings)

About Zenernet

Zenernet helps homeowners get a better deal on energy and take charge of how they power their lives. Cut expenses, lock in a better rate on energy, and gain independence from your utility company with Zenernet. The business prides itself on delivering the best customer experience in solar, beginning with a fully remote consultation, and it is the only company in the industry to offer modular pricing, which lets you only pay for the system you want. Installations are carried out by experienced local installers, ensuring your solar investment supports your local area.

Pros

• Fully virtual consultation
    • Installation performed by local techs
    • Modular pricing model

Cons

• Does not give instant quotes
    • Not available nationwide

Bottom Line

Zenernet’s virtual consultation lets customers get a customized proposal from the comfort of their home. Its modular pricing model gives homeowners the flexibility to choose a system that suits their needs and budget.

Top Zenernet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Zenernet is a company that stands behind their products, has an outstanding warranty and provides solutions based on customer needs and not on what will help make most money. I wo...

Verified

I will definitely be recommending Zenernet to my colleagues who are considering switching to solar energy. ... I never felt pressured and trusted her expertise. I am looking forwa...

What is Zenernet solar?

Zenernet’s mission is to accelerate energy independence for all. It aims to make solar power and other forms of energy technology more practical and affordable for more people. Zenernet focuses on transparency, convenience and competitive pricing. The company works with you to give you a comprehensive understanding of the energy you use and how it’s produced and come away with a plan to optimize your energy use for greater savings, efficiency and independence.

Zenernet financing options

Zenernet offers a variety of financing options for its solar energy products. In some areas, having a Zenernet solar system can also make the owner eligible for net metering, which is a utility billing system that gives the customer credit for excess power that their solar system generates.

Zenernet does not offer leasing — the company states it believes leasing is not a good option for the customer. Leasing costs depend on the customer's energy bill, which often results in overpayment. According to Zenernet, purchasing a solar energy system is straightforward and has more transparent terms. Also, customers who own their systems have the option to make improvements as technology advances.

Zenernet installation

Zenernet’s Preferred Installer Network uses experienced, highly rated local installers to complete its projects, which supports local small businesses and gives the customer a personalized experience. Using Zenernet lets some of your solar investment stays local, and the company manages all processes and scheduling. Zenernet’s installers carry all necessary permits, licenses and insurance policies.

Zenernet warranties

Zenernet offers comprehensive workmanship warranties in lengths of 10, 20 or 25 years, which lets you choose the coverage level that makes sense for you. Zenernet’s warranties cover your entire system and roof and serve as an extension of the manufacturers’ warranties included with your system components.

Zenernet FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Zenernet?
    Zenernet has access to nearly any solar panel available on the market. During the consultation process, the company seeks to understand your priorities and recommend a panel that fits your needs. Zenernet offers panels in a variety of wattages and designs and from multiple manufacturers.
    Where is Zenernet available?
    Zenernet is available in 19 states, including Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Rhode Island, Texas and Utah.
    Does Zenernet offer energy monitoring?
    Zenernet includes standard solar production and consumption monitoring with each system. Zenernet also offers additional monitoring options, including Sense, a smart home technology application that allows consumption monitoring down to individual devices and appliances.
    Does Zenernet provide energy storage?
    Zenernet offers many energy storage and backup power options, including home batteries and generators.
    What other products does Zenernet offer?
    Zenernet also offers Electrical Vehicle chargers (EV chargers).

Do we recommend Zenernet?

Yes. We recommend Zenernet because of its wide range of solutions for homeowners seeking an alternative to traditional utilities and their high costs. Zenernet provides an excellent customer experience, and it offers a variety of helpful features, including modular pricing and a fully remote virtual consultation coupled with a local-touch installation experience.

Zenernet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenernet?

Original review: June 23, 2021

I liked the professionalism that Zenernet showed. Brett was my rep and he was there the whole time checking in on me. He explained things in a way that I could understand even though I'm not an engineer. He didn't talk dumb to me or down to me. He was honest and caring but not in a condescending way. I'm a little bit sensitive to that kind of thing. He treated me like a human being. He also worked with the people and got me a 0.99% loan. Who wouldn't put in 100 solar panels when 80% of the project is paid for by somebody else's money at 0.99%?

We are at the engineering phase. When I get back in a few days, the engineers are going to come out and do the process then we go to the permitting phase then the construction. This is perfect timing because we're coming into monsoon which is the most destructive time of year. We're going to get all the paperwork done during this time then they can construct into August. The decision to go solar is great. I am hoping that the process will go smoothly, easily, and without too much heartburn.

Zenernet response
    That's awesome, Jennifer! We follow a knowledge-first approach here at Zenernet - we're glad that Brett did such a great job explaining the process of going solar to you. It is our priority to make this process as painless as we can for the homeowner and ensuring that you are well informed.

We look forward to getting your system up and running.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Someone on our street had Zenernet and he said he did an exhaustive search for six months before he chose it. He told me Zenernet was the least bad. We went with Zenernet and overall, they were a huge improvement over the company that we were initially going to go with. We're very happy with Taylor, the sales rep. She was very helpful and she answered all our questions.

My husband handled customer service mostly. I was happier than he was. We had to keep a watch on everything. Some of the follow-ups were disjointed because Zenernet is nationwide and they have people all over the place. One example is when it came time to pay the 80%, we tried to do it electronically and it wouldn't go through. We had to finally probe and found out that it was because the bank cannot take those kinds of transfers from a trust fund. It has to be a standard checking account. That was a small detail but it took a while to figure that out. Zenernet should have a little more attention to detail.

The other detail that we did not like was that we ended up sending a paper check. We FedExed it and the gal gave us the wrong address in Arizona. This girl is our project manager or the concierge and she didn't even know where the company is headquartered. She is newer to the company. Zenernet didn't get the check and it turned out the check was delivered somewhere else in the neighborhood. The company had moved. And instead of picking up the check, they returned it to us and we had to send another check.

Also, the engineering specs were initially not right. We sent photos for the engineers to draw up the specs for the panels. They had our box incorrectly placed. We had to be constantly on it to catch little details. There were also a couple of delays but they were very understandable. They had a delay because someone got COVID. There was another delay because the father of one of the local installers here in our area in California just passed away the night before. That aside, it all worked out. We had the installation yesterday and we were very happy with it and with the two members on that team.

My husband had to be there hands-on. In the garage, one of the connectors had to be on an inside wall. One of the team members was going to put something but the other guy came and he said, “No, it's an inside wall, it needs to be different.” An inspector that was supposed to come out and the local installer had requested yesterday in the PM. The inspector came at 8 o'clock in the morning as it was on his route. The inspection was delayed until next week. There's a little disconnect because there is no attention to detail. We have been using solar as of yesterday. But we're not going to have the new rates and connect it to our local power company until Tuesday.

Original review: June 18, 2021

My Zenerne rep was very accommodating, patient, and not too pushy. He was willing to work with somebody who already has a system in place and wants to expand, which a lot of companies don't like to. My first system was installed by a fly-by-night company that disappeared within two years. I was looking for something a little bigger than a mom-and-pop shop to do my solar that might be around longer and would back up their product in 10 years.

My rep drew a diagram for the panels on the roof and I told him that was unattractive. It didn't have to be ugly and functional. He rearranged those panels for me. I told him, “You didn't listen to my first request. You gave me what you thought I needed. I asked you to go up to 200% because I can. So if I say max out my roof, max out my roof.” He came back with another plan and I went, “There you go. More panels, more money for you.” On the whole, my rep was great.

Zenernet response

We're glad to hear that, Jerry! Here at Zenernet, we strive to meet the needs of the homeowner - we're glad that your energy consultant was able to work with you to build a system that met your needs. We are committed to providing the best customer experience in solar. Thanks for the feedback.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I don’t use a lot of electricity but I live in California and the last three years have been horrendous here. We’ve had fires where you couldn't see the sun because the smoke is so bad and pyres where you can't go outside. The heat goes along with that of 110 so I decided that it was time to get my air conditioner fixed. So I was looking and I kept looking, and Zenernet kept popping up. I called them and told them that I was interested.

The signing-up process was a long-drawn-out one. I took pictures and they were what they asked for. But they weren’t what they were expecting because I couldn't take a whole picture of the side of my house. I have a gate there so there was no way I can take a picture of the whole side of my house. I had to explain to them. I live in a two-story house and they wanted pictures of my attic and my beams. I'm 70 years old and I said that I was not going to take a chance climbing up on a ladder. Somebody should come do it. So, somebody came out and took pictures for them, which was the best thing. The customer service is good. I sent them some things they didn't receive but that's not their fault. It’s technology’s fault and that's the only thing I have a problem with because I sent it when they asked me to and they said it was not there. So I sent them again. People should consider Zenernet and put them on the lookout list.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Just bought a new house. Before we even were on the market, we knew we were going to "go solar". I started re-searching, and by process of very quick elimination, Zenernet appeared to by the most highly regarded for Customer Service...which is the KEY factor for me. Lots of Solar Companies out there....one in particular...I left my information, and received a non-stop barrage of no less than 18 phone calls from the same number within an 18 hour period. Not with Mike. I received a very kind text and email, asking when a good time would be, we set up the consultation, it popped onto my calendar, and boom.

If Mike is any indication of the experience I expect to have with the rest of the team, this is going to be a great experience. He designed the panel layout right in front of me after analyzing my bills, usage, house/roof design and some facts I had sent him via Text and email. He asked a few more questions for clarity, and the whole while, I felt like I was talking to somebody who genuinely enjoyed what he was doing, and could read my situation, and prescribed the exact solution I didn't quite know I was looking for....but made 100% perfect sense. The tool that estimates the sun pattern year round on your roof was truly a surprise, and it turned out we do not need to plaster every square inch of the roof with panels. Just 22, in two different key locations.

If this is just the first step, then BRAVO to Zenernet, and THANK YOU Mike for making that fun, painless, and without ONE SINGLE OUNCE of that "salesy" schmarm. Genuine. We bonded over foster dogs, drums, but the entire session was driven by the solution he created for me on the shared screen. Now I just have to present the very easy to consume proposal to my wife, and with the exciting incentives ending at the end of August, and year end, I think it's going to be a pretty clear cut decision. 5 Star without a doubt!

Zenernet response

Thank you for leaving such an elaborate review, Ron! We are pleased to hear your noticed our favorable customer reviews - we take pride in providing our customers with the best customer experience in solar. We are very lucky to have such talented energy experts like Mike and we're happy you've enjoyed working with him and the rest of our team so far. It's great to hear you are taking advantage of the ITC incentive. We're looking forward to helping you gain energy independence - let us know if you need anything at any time!

Original review: July 20, 2021

When I decided to go another way, Zenernet was a little bit pushy. But it wasn't anything too terrible. Everybody was very helpful and answered my questions and concerns.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Working with Zenernet was one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had. In the sales pitch, they practically guaranteed the completion of the solar installation by the end of 2020 when I signed in October 2020. Lo and behold, the project didn't get finally completed until July 2021. 9 months - for an installation? They outsourced the project to Myers Electric. The teams ended up coming out to my house over 10 times and it was clear that the team was terrible at planning and coordinating. They promise to give me a call one day and no calls received. The team had to change the entire project plans multiple times. It wasn't until we had to keep calling them that they pushed forward to finish the project. They had a good sales pitch but a terrible follow through. Don't use Zenernet.

Original review: July 6, 2021

The team at Zenernet was really positive. It's just that based on the information they provided, I'm not sure it's something I'm wanting to go forward with from a financial perspective. It doesn't make sense at this point. But they were the most convenient to work with of the companies that I tried.

Original review: July 5, 2021

We played a little bit of phone tag with the customer service, but otherwise, the interactions were all good. Working with Zenernet was pretty easy and I was very satisfied. It was a good and smooth experience. No regrets.

Original review: July 3, 2021

Zenernet referred by a friend. They gave me a price and it seemed reasonable for the solar panels and the system itself, but I don't have the resources as far as getting installation.

Zenernet response

Thanks for the feedback, Jesse! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if the situation changes.

Zenernet Company Information