2. Solar Energy

4.0/5 (48 ratings)

About Zenernet

Zenernet helps homeowners get a better deal on energy and take charge of how they power their lives. Cut expenses, lock in a better rate on energy, and gain independence from your utility company with Zenernet. The business prides itself on delivering the best customer experience in solar, beginning with a fully remote consultation, and it is the only company in the industry to offer modular pricing, which lets you only pay for the system you want. Installations are carried out by experienced local installers, ensuring your solar investment supports your local area.

Pros

• Fully virtual consultation
    • Installation performed by local techs
    • Modular pricing model

Cons

• Does not give instant quotes
    • Not available nationwide

Bottom Line

Zenernet’s virtual consultation lets customers get a customized proposal from the comfort of their home. Its modular pricing model gives homeowners the flexibility to choose a system that suits their needs and budget.

Top Zenernet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Zenernet is a company that stands behind their products, has an outstanding warranty and provides solutions based on customer needs and not on what will help make most money. I wo...

Verified

I will definitely be recommending Zenernet to my colleagues who are considering switching to solar energy. ... I never felt pressured and trusted her expertise. I am looking forwa...

What is Zenernet solar?

Zenernet’s mission is to accelerate energy independence for all. It aims to make solar power and other forms of energy technology more practical and affordable for more people. Zenernet focuses on transparency, convenience and competitive pricing. The company works with you to give you a comprehensive understanding of the energy you use and how it’s produced and come away with a plan to optimize your energy use for greater savings, efficiency and independence.

Zenernet financing options

Zenernet offers a variety of financing options for its solar energy products. In some areas, having a Zenernet solar system can also make the owner eligible for net metering, which is a utility billing system that gives the customer credit for excess power that their solar system generates.

Zenernet does not offer leasing — the company states it believes leasing is not a good option for the customer. Leasing costs depend on the customer's energy bill, which often results in overpayment. According to Zenernet, purchasing a solar energy system is straightforward and has more transparent terms. Also, customers who own their systems have the option to make improvements as technology advances.

Zenernet installation

Zenernet’s Preferred Installer Network uses experienced, highly rated local installers to complete its projects, which supports local small businesses and gives the customer a personalized experience. Using Zenernet lets some of your solar investment stays local, and the company manages all processes and scheduling. Zenernet’s installers carry all necessary permits, licenses and insurance policies.

Zenernet warranties

Zenernet offers comprehensive workmanship warranties in lengths of 10, 20 or 25 years, which lets you choose the coverage level that makes sense for you. Zenernet’s warranties cover your entire system and roof and serve as an extension of the manufacturers’ warranties included with your system components.

Zenernet FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Zenernet?
    Zenernet has access to nearly any solar panel available on the market. During the consultation process, the company seeks to understand your priorities and recommend a panel that fits your needs. Zenernet offers panels in a variety of wattages and designs and from multiple manufacturers.
    Where is Zenernet available?
    Zenernet is available in 19 states, including Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Rhode Island, Texas and Utah.
    Does Zenernet offer energy monitoring?
    Zenernet includes standard solar production and consumption monitoring with each system. Zenernet also offers additional monitoring options, including Sense, a smart home technology application that allows consumption monitoring down to individual devices and appliances.
    Does Zenernet provide energy storage?
    Zenernet offers many energy storage and backup power options, including home batteries and generators.
    What other products does Zenernet offer?
    Zenernet also offers Electrical Vehicle chargers (EV chargers).

Do we recommend Zenernet?

Yes. We recommend Zenernet because of its wide range of solutions for homeowners seeking an alternative to traditional utilities and their high costs. Zenernet provides an excellent customer experience, and it offers a variety of helpful features, including modular pricing and a fully remote virtual consultation coupled with a local-touch installation experience.

Zenernet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenernet?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

What I liked about Zenernet was there was no representative. I get everything online. I just put all my information in and that was a lot better than dealing with a salesperson. The website was fabulous. It’s a little confusing because I'm not used to doing that. But I figured it out. As far as everything, I sent in the pictures, everything of the electrical box, and everything that they asked for. They laid out a plan, sent me a thing, said that if I didn't like it, to let them know, and they would change it.

I only talked to a couple of people during the whole thing. One was the credit person and that was about three minutes because they wanted to verify who I was. Then I would just hit up people to come out. Having solar is interesting because I can see what each one of my utilities is doing because I can see the power is drawing. And with the battery backup, I think that’s great because I can notify Edison. I'm totally satisfied. I’ve recommended Zenernet to some friends.

Zenernet response

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed our process, Albert! We are a tech-enabled company that aims to make the process of going solar as easy as we can for the homeowner. Thanks for leaving us a review.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I liked the professionalism that Zenernet showed. Brett was my rep and he was there the whole time checking in on me. He explained things in a way that I could understand even though I'm not an engineer. He didn't talk dumb to me or down to me. He was honest and caring but not in a condescending way. I'm a little bit sensitive to that kind of thing. He treated me like a human being. He also worked with the people and got me a 0.99% loan. Who wouldn't put in 100 solar panels when 80% of the project is paid for by somebody else's money at 0.99%?

We are at the engineering phase. When I get back in a few days, the engineers are going to come out and do the process then we go to the permitting phase then the construction. This is perfect timing because we're coming into monsoon which is the most destructive time of year. We're going to get all the paperwork done during this time then they can construct into August. The decision to go solar is great. I am hoping that the process will go smoothly, easily, and without too much heartburn.

Zenernet response
      That's awesome, Jennifer! We follow a knowledge-first approach here at Zenernet - we're glad that Brett did such a great job explaining the process of going solar to you. It is our priority to make this process as painless as we can for the homeowner and ensuring that you are well informed.

We look forward to getting your system up and running.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Someone on our street had Zenernet and he said he did an exhaustive search for six months before he chose it. He told me Zenernet was the least bad. We went with Zenernet and overall, they were a huge improvement over the company that we were initially going to go with. We're very happy with Taylor, the sales rep. She was very helpful and she answered all our questions.

My husband handled customer service mostly. I was happier than he was. We had to keep a watch on everything. Some of the follow-ups were disjointed because Zenernet is nationwide and they have people all over the place. One example is when it came time to pay the 80%, we tried to do it electronically and it wouldn't go through. We had to finally probe and found out that it was because the bank cannot take those kinds of transfers from a trust fund. It has to be a standard checking account. That was a small detail but it took a while to figure that out. Zenernet should have a little more attention to detail.

The other detail that we did not like was that we ended up sending a paper check. We FedExed it and the gal gave us the wrong address in Arizona. This girl is our project manager or the concierge and she didn't even know where the company is headquartered. She is newer to the company. Zenernet didn't get the check and it turned out the check was delivered somewhere else in the neighborhood. The company had moved. And instead of picking up the check, they returned it to us and we had to send another check.

Also, the engineering specs were initially not right. We sent photos for the engineers to draw up the specs for the panels. They had our box incorrectly placed. We had to be constantly on it to catch little details. There were also a couple of delays but they were very understandable. They had a delay because someone got COVID. There was another delay because the father of one of the local installers here in our area in California just passed away the night before. That aside, it all worked out. We had the installation yesterday and we were very happy with it and with the two members on that team.

My husband had to be there hands-on. In the garage, one of the connectors had to be on an inside wall. One of the team members was going to put something but the other guy came and he said, “No, it's an inside wall, it needs to be different.” An inspector that was supposed to come out and the local installer had requested yesterday in the PM. The inspector came at 8 o'clock in the morning as it was on his route. The inspection was delayed until next week. There's a little disconnect because there is no attention to detail. We have been using solar as of yesterday. But we're not going to have the new rates and connect it to our local power company until Tuesday.

Original review: June 18, 2021

My Zenerne rep was very accommodating, patient, and not too pushy. He was willing to work with somebody who already has a system in place and wants to expand, which a lot of companies don't like to. My first system was installed by a fly-by-night company that disappeared within two years. I was looking for something a little bigger than a mom-and-pop shop to do my solar that might be around longer and would back up their product in 10 years.

My rep drew a diagram for the panels on the roof and I told him that was unattractive. It didn't have to be ugly and functional. He rearranged those panels for me. I told him, “You didn't listen to my first request. You gave me what you thought I needed. I asked you to go up to 200% because I can. So if I say max out my roof, max out my roof.” He came back with another plan and I went, “There you go. More panels, more money for you.” On the whole, my rep was great.

Zenernet response

We're glad to hear that, Jerry! Here at Zenernet, we strive to meet the needs of the homeowner - we're glad that your energy consultant was able to work with you to build a system that met your needs. We are committed to providing the best customer experience in solar. Thanks for the feedback.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I don’t use a lot of electricity but I live in California and the last three years have been horrendous here. We’ve had fires where you couldn't see the sun because the smoke is so bad and pyres where you can't go outside. The heat goes along with that of 110 so I decided that it was time to get my air conditioner fixed. So I was looking and I kept looking, and Zenernet kept popping up. I called them and told them that I was interested.

The signing-up process was a long-drawn-out one. I took pictures and they were what they asked for. But they weren’t what they were expecting because I couldn't take a whole picture of the side of my house. I have a gate there so there was no way I can take a picture of the whole side of my house. I had to explain to them. I live in a two-story house and they wanted pictures of my attic and my beams. I'm 70 years old and I said that I was not going to take a chance climbing up on a ladder. Somebody should come do it. So, somebody came out and took pictures for them, which was the best thing. The customer service is good. I sent them some things they didn't receive but that's not their fault. It’s technology’s fault and that's the only thing I have a problem with because I sent it when they asked me to and they said it was not there. So I sent them again. People should consider Zenernet and put them on the lookout list.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Daniel ** was very helpful explaining how solar works and the cost. It's nice to talk to someone that know his business and knowledge experience with solar panels and the knowledge of prices and the cost and easy to talk to.

Zenernet response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Lucille. We're glad that you found Daniel's presentation so informative and easy to understand. Our team is knowledgeable about solar and we're always prepared to give you the information you need to make your solar decisions.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I did an internet research on solar and I liked what I read about Zenernet. Then, I interviewed a bunch of different companies and I decided to go with them. Their pricing was transparent and they weren't the cheapest but they weren't the most expensive. They were easy to work with and there was a lot of personal interaction. At the moment, the installation is still going on and I'm waiting for the city to finish with the permitting process. But Zenernet keeps following up and telling me where we're at in the process and what's coming next.

Zenernet response

Thanks for the feedback, Terri! We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying working with us. You picked up on some of our top priorities here at Zenernet - our transparent approach that makes sure that you get the information you need to make confident solar decisions. We're glad that you enjoyed working with us - we'll continue to keep you informed on the status of your project. We look forward to getting you energy independence!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Signed the contract with Zenernet in the first week of May and still do not have a working system over 5 months later. The sales experience was positive with the salesperson being very responsive when creating my proposal. But that was the only positive experience. Since then, it has been nothing but delays, poor communication, screwups and apathy from Zenernet.

In choosing Zenernet you are then dealing with two separate companies Zenernet and whatever installer they choose. The first indication was a letter I received from the installer notifying me that they could place a lien against my property if they were not paid by Zenernet. The installer, Ecobright, was also located > 300 miles away from my home, so everything took a long time to schedule. The inspection took weeks to get scheduled after the install. On the first attempt the inspection failed due to incorrect electrical work. The 2nd inspection was scheduled for two weeks later. The inspector showed up, but the installer was nowhere to be found. On the third attempt the inspection failed yet again because the plans were wrong. That was ~2 weeks ago, and the 4th attempt has yet to be scheduled. It behooves me why a company that is in the Solar business can’t seem to get things right.

When emailing the project coordinator and the installer I often received no responses. The project coordinator was replaced with someone who at least returns emails however nothing has improved. At one point in this saga, I was told by the installer that the installation was complete. This was confirmed by the project coordinator. The installer then showed up two weeks later unannounced to finish the installation which was news to me. I had to cancel my plans so the installer could get into my house. Zenernet was completely clueless of the status of what was going on with the installation.

If you want to have a painless experience with Solar, I suggest you look elsewhere. In fact, I have friends who started Solar contracts with other companies such as Sunrun later than I did. Their systems have already been in operation for several weeks. I sit waiting with an expensive boat anchor on my roof with nothing but excuses from Zenernet. I am sure I will get a stock “I am sorry you had a bad experience” message from Zenernet in response to this. But that is what I would expect. Words but no actions.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I would recommend Zenernet to anybody. They were very professional. Many of my neighbors have electric bills which are triple what mine is so it would be beneficial to them. But in my case, solar panels wouldn't benefit me in the long run. My electric bill is not so bad and it would be approximately the same with solar panels versus without solar panels, give or take $15 a month. With solar panels, I'd also be taking on a 20-year loan.

Zenernet response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Gerald! We're glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with us. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you ever decide to go solar.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I appreciate the responsiveness and clarity of the sales process. I asked several questions and received useful responses. I am waiting for the moment, but I will certainly return to Zenernet when I am ready.

Zenernet response

We're thrilled to hear that you had a good experience with us, Larry. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any more questions - we're always ready to give you the information you need to make your solar decisions. Thanks for the feedback!

Zenernet Company Information