Verengo Solar

Compare Solar Energy Companies

Research top Solar Energy Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

First they drove a stake through my main electrical and 3 crew working overtime had to come out. I had to pay 1400.00 dollars and wait for Verengo to reimburse me. Second before solar my average bill was 91.00 a month. After family moved in and my bill went up I got solar. Now that family has moved out my average with solar is 175.00 a month. With just myself it was cheaper not to have solar. I've asked for help or maybe reevaluating my contract and no response. Maybe leasing solar is a good way to go but not with Verengo.

Verengo is great when they want your business but terrible when you need repairs. My Inverter went out after only a year. I was told that it would be fixed in 5 business days. 49 days later it was finally repaired after SEVERAL phone calls to Verengo. During the 49 days, my panels were not collecting solar so my SCE bill was over $300. That is ridiculous. Not happy with this company and will not recommend it to anyone.

Received a mailer and called the number provided. They advertised a rebate to get Solar installed. They contacted me and the process began. They told me that I would have a estimated flat rate, they would upgrade my electrical panel and only put enough solar panels on the roof to generate the same power as my 12 month cycle with Edison. They would not send the rebate I begged for 6 1/2 weeks, they refused to upgrade the panel. (Guess the sales-guy doesn't recall even after I mentioned more than a dozen times.) They put up enough panels to generate 3 times my usage at my expense!!! And put the equipment on the wrong side of the home. The first bill for a partial month and it looked reasonable. The second bill is quadruple my last two years in the same period. I called and emailed. They said someone will call. They never came to the house, no explanation given on the billing, no usage amounts, NOTHING!!!

I asked to speak with a Jim who I was told was a manager, and he is out and doesn't return calls. The finance company told me that though I signed and yes the solar company puts on more than what they say and get approved for through the utility company on purpose they're in the business to make money even if they lie about it. I explained that we are Seniors and can't afford to pay more money, the idea was to save energy and save money. No one at the company will help us. They took advantage of older people and that should be illegal.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME! This company is the absolute worst company I’ve ever dealt with. I have no idea how they are still in business, whatever they promise you do not believe them. We called them after talking with Solar City. Solar City wasn’t able to give us enough Solar Panels for the energy we needed so we looked elsewhere and Verengo Solar said "yeah, no problem, we will upgrade your sub-panel to a 200-amp panel for free also". We signed up, however we've been told since by another solar company that we have too many panels. A crew showed up, turns out they were all sub-contracted, no one worked directly for Verengo. We didn’t foresee a problem so we let them continue.

At the end of the first day, we noticed empty alcoholic beverages in the trash. Crew must have been drinking on the job and they did not upgrade the panel, so we asked the electrician why. He looked at his paperwork and said "oh yeah I have here in the contract it is supposed to be a 200-amp panel but this is the equipment they gave me to install". We called Verengo right away and they said that it would have cost too much money because they had to run the power from the street. Okay fine but they should have called us and discussed that first before they began installation. We should have sued them for breach of contract right there but they said they would fix it, so we continued.

After months of back and forth they said they couldn’t do the 200-amp panel after all, but they agreed to install a sub-panel to give us more breakers which is required by law. The first panel they installed didn’t have enough free breakers in it, but they installed anyway and didn’t even install it correctly. It is loose and the stucco patch they did is the worse I’ve ever seen. (See Pic) After fighting for a few more months they sent another sub-contracted worker out to install the sub-panel. This guy used my husband’s tools without asking, used our material (2x4) without asking and on top of it, he stucco’d the sub-panel shut so we can’t even open it. (See Pic) He cannot be a licensed sub-contractor, to have done a job like this and to have used someone else's tools and material; you should come prepared to do the job at hand.

Also every time we have a crew come out they don’t clean up their mess, they just leave their trash and used material on our property. They even left one of their safety straps still attached to the roof. It’s been about 6 months since the install and we are still fighting with them. We’ve asked them to remove everything and fix our roof; they are now passing it off on the finance company. We are waiting to hear back from them, but I’m thinking it’s time to have a lawyer step in.

In August of 2015 I contracted Verengo Solar to install their Solar System (including solar panels) on my home in October of 2015. While doing so, Verengo severely damaged my roof and my home (destroying my roof) to the point I need a new roof installed on my home (which my home has a very expensive newer tile type roof). After Verengo continuously admits to the damage, they refuse to pay for my roof. In addition, their construction bond company (HCC Surety/American Contractors Indemnity) has and continues to delay paying my claim, which will most likely lead me to filing a lawsuit in California Supreme Court. My advice is Go Solar... Just DO NOT use Verengo or any affiliate of Verengo. In addition, check the bond company of the contractor you are using and DO NOT use any contractor associated to HCC Surety/American Contractors Indemnity.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verengo Solar?

They are fast efficient and very polite. Their products are amazing. I would use them again without questions. The quality is amazing. Product works good.

Great product and company! Many options to choose from for a variety of needs. Their customer service helped me make the right decision for my home. I look forward to making another purchase in the future.

They were very helpful and professional. They handled the installation and explained how it works. They had it connected with one day. The price was what was quoted to me. I am very satisfied.

The price was fair. The installation was fairly quick and efficient. Haven't had any problems as of yet so there has been no need of service personnel coming out which is good due to the location of my home. I am very satisfied with the product. Thank you and I will be advising my friends to use your company in the future.

Verengo says in ads "We will save you Thousands of dollars." It's costing us thousands and our bill has almost doubled too each month. They rated their panels at 1025 kw. They are only putting out 390.

Installer ruined several electrical items on the same circuit and it cost me money out of pocket. Madeline ** of cust service has me waiting to be made whole since Dec. 2014.

Expert Review

Zachary ShahanSolar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.    More about Zachary→

Verengo Solar was the #3 residential solar installer in 2013 in terms of residential market share. The company has installed over 12,000 residential solar power systems, however, the company is reportedly up for sale.

• 25-year guarantee: Verengo Solar offers a 25-year guarantee covering maintenance, insurance for the entire solar power system, and inverter replacement.
  • Real-time system monitoring: Verengo uses technology allowing continuous, real-time solar system monitoring, which is rolled into the 25-year service guarantee.
  • Rebate paperwork covered: You don’t have to mess with rebate paperwork – Verengo handles it for you.
  • Not many financing options: Verengo Solar doesn’t include options to buy a solar power system or use PACE financing. The company has a $0 down offer, a $3,000 up-front offer, and a 25-year prepaid offer.
  • Reports: Verengo Solar reports to have been on the market for several months and hasn’t swiftly found a buyer – which may cause concern for some consumers.
  • Markets: Verengo currently operates only in California, Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey.
  • Best for Homeowners, small & large businesses, government agencies & nonprofits, leasing & PPA customers, solar beginners

Compare Solar Energy Companies